PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Movies

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-24-2010, 10:18 PM
I know that it is sappy and all, but Christmas movies are some of my favorites. I think most people would vote for A Christmas Story as their favorite, and its probably mine too, but I love Christmas movies in general. Elf, Home Alone 1 & 2, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, Charlie Brown Christmas, Mickey's Christmas Carol, and Christmas Vacation just to name a few. I also recently watched the 2009 version of A Christmas Carol with the voice talents of Jim Carry, and this is sure to be a new favorite.

What are some of your favorite Christmas movies? What am I missing out on?

Erin
11-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Elf is my favorite! So hilarious. Bad Santa is great, too.

Tito_Villa
11-25-2010, 04:42 AM
Don't forget A Mupet's Christmas Carrol!!!

SkippyD023
11-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Christmas Vacation is my favorite. Cousin Eddie is the best...

Shitters Full!!!!

Ricky
11-25-2010, 07:35 AM
If I had to pick a couple as my favorites, they'd be Elf, A Christmas Story, and How The Grinch Stole Christmas (with Jim Carrey).

Girlystevedave
11-25-2010, 07:38 AM
A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation are definitely my favorites. I saw Elf a couple years ago, and I won't lie: I really enjoyed it. It's rare that I enjoy "new" Christmas movies, but I thought it was really good.
:)

Heather19
11-25-2010, 07:58 AM
A Christmas Story is my favorite. It's also probably the film I've seen the most since I usually watch it a million times around the holiday. Another one that I have to watch every year is March of the Wooden Soldiers with Laurel and Hardy. It's so cheesy, but oh so good. Christmas Vacation is also up near the top for me, along with It's a Wonderful Life. Although even though technically the second one isn't necessarily a Christmas movie, I always associate it with Christmas. And How the Grinch Stole Christmas (cartoon), Charlie Brown Christmas, Mickey's Christmas Carol, Muppets Christmas Carol, and Elf are just a few other favorites. I could go on, there's so many that I love :lol:

Bethany
11-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Rudolph, The Year Without A Santa Claus, Santa Claus is Coming to Town and Frosty. Are you people pagans? :P

candy
11-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Wizard of oz. Always reminds me of christmas, the bbc used to show it every single year (back when we only had 3 channels :borg:)

Proper christmas films, i love (probabley the only one) but i love Scrooged.
I also loved the UK modern version of a christmas carol staring ross kemp (set on a tough housing estate)

Of course Its a Wonderful life features on my list too, how much more christmassy can you get???

and finally for chuckles you cant beat the Santa Clause

Odetta
11-25-2010, 11:37 AM
It's a Wonderful Life

also, A Miracle on 34th Street is great!

If you want a good, cynical laugh at Christmas, try The Ref! LMAO everytime I watch it!

ELazansky
11-25-2010, 01:12 PM
It's a Wonderful Life is the all-time best Holiday movie for me.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Strangely enough, as much as I love Christmas movies, I have never seen Its a Wonderful Life or Miracle on 34th Street. I suspect that I am missing out on some good stuff here. I also like some lesser known titles like; Best Christmas Pageant Ever, One Magic Christmas, and The Night They Saved Christmas.

Sam
11-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Two really great Christmas films:
the original Miracle on 34th Street. Basically it's just one big Macy's commercial, but the movie is really, really good.
The Nightmare Before Christmas. Not your typical Christmas film and without the typical Christmas sappiness, but a really fun holiday film.

Ricky
11-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Another one that I have to watch every year is March of the Wooden Soldiers with Laurel and Hardy. It's so cheesy, but oh so good.

Is this the one that creeped me out? :lol:

Santa Claus is Coming to Town

Bergermesiter Meisterberger! :rofl:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Love Nightmare Before Christmas, but then I love everything Burton.

mystima
11-25-2010, 10:16 PM
My favorite Christmas movies include It's a Wonderful Life, the original Miracle on 34th Street not the remake, Nightmare Before Christmas, and of course Rudolph, Frosty and Santa Clause is Coming to Town.

LadyHitchhiker
11-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Elf is my favorite Christmas movie!! It's the second last movie we saw in the theatre with my step-daughter before she passed away. The last movie we saw was Racing Stripes.

Jean
11-26-2010, 04:49 AM
Of course Its a Wonderful life features on my list too, how much more christmassy can you get???

It's a Wonderful Life

It's a Wonderful Life is the all-time best Holiday movie for me.

yes!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_santa2004_2.gif

Darkthoughts
11-26-2010, 05:15 AM
Oliver Twist and Mary Poppins also remind me of Christmas as they're guaranteed to get shown on UK tv at some point during the holiday.

Heather19
11-26-2010, 05:45 AM
Another one that I have to watch every year is March of the Wooden Soldiers with Laurel and Hardy. It's so cheesy, but oh so good.

Is this the one that creeped me out? :lol:

Yes! :rofl:

Mattrick
11-26-2010, 06:46 AM
Favourite christmas movies:

Bad Santa
Love Actually
Die Hard
Home Alone

Darkthoughts
11-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Oh yes!! Love Actually - great choice!

pixiedark76
11-26-2010, 12:07 PM
HOW COULD ANY OF YOU FORGET WHITE CHRISTMAS! :o Bing Crosby Rules! White Christmas has to be one of the sappiest Christmas movies ever! This movie is so sappy it even makes my husband cry! :cry:(The only movies that comes close is Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life)

Heather19
11-26-2010, 08:04 PM
I love White Christmas!

pathoftheturtle
11-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Twas the Night Before Christmas -- "Christmas chimes are calling, Santa! Santa! Every heart beat calling, Santa! Santa! C'mon ol' Kris Kringle, down the Milky Way; Santa, we need you today!"
Santa Claus: The Movie has a great opening... you can turn it off when it gets to the Dudley Moore/John Lithgow storyline.
The Polar Express
One Magic Christmas (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089731/)
et cetera

Merlin1958
11-27-2010, 04:27 PM
For Laughs:

"Christmas Story"
"Christmas Vacation"

For Tear-Jerking, Holiday spirit, No matter what your circumstances:

Any Telling of "A Christmas Carol"
"A Wonderful Life"

Honorable Mention to:

"A Miracle on 34th St"

Dickens 'A Christmas Carol", to me at least, is far and away the best!!!!!!

Gets me every time!!!!!!!!!!

Ka-mai
11-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Wizard of oz. Always reminds me of christmas, the bbc used to show it every single year (back when we only had 3 channels :borg:)

Proper christmas films, i love (probabley the only one) but i love Scrooged.
I also loved the UK modern version of a christmas carol staring ross kemp (set on a tough housing estate)

and finally for chuckles you cant beat the Santa Clause

:lol: My mom is so with you on the Wizard of Oz thing! She didn't even get to see it every year because her dad usually wanted the television. I think it was the first thing she bought when VHS happened.

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is my favorite! Charlie Brown Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (original), A Christmas Carol (George C. Scott version), A Muppet Christmas Carol, Scrooge (musical), The Santa Clause, Home Alone 1 and 2, Love Actually and Elf (one of only 2 movies I can stand Will Farrell in) are all great, but I have trouble fitting them all in. A Christmas Story is good, but someone in my family is always watching it so I get sick of it pretty fast. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas and Frosty are good nostalgia ones, I don't see them much though.

I love this thread, it's making me remember all the movies I need to watch!

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Badder Santa, Fred Claus and another one I cant think of

velcro_fly
11-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Christmas Vacation is my all time favorite, also like Bad Santa

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Forgot about Polar Express, that was another good recent one.

Has anyone else seen the 2009 A Christmas Carol? I thought that it was the truest to Dickens's story. Quite dark for a Disney Movie....I loved it.

Still Servant
11-28-2010, 05:20 AM
Die Hard.

I don't care what my sister says, Die Hard is a Christmas movie. In more traditional terms, I would say Home Alone.

Stockerlone
11-28-2010, 06:25 AM
Christmas Movies
It’s a Wonderful Life, WHITE CHRISTMAS, Night Before Christmas, Little Lord Fauntleroy (Alec Guinness+Ricky Schroder), Drei Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel

And silvester: Dinner for One . In Germany on air since 1963

velcro_fly
11-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Die Hard is totally a Christmas movie, and i love it

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Oh yeah Gremlins!

ICry4Oy
11-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Christmas Vacation is the only must-see movie for us on Christmas.

I've never been able to watch A Christmas Story without changing the channel :(

blavigne
11-28-2010, 05:48 PM
I love the cartoon version of The Grinch. I look forward to it every year. It's not really a "movie" since it is only 30 minutes long but it's not Christmas to me without it. :)

haunted.lunchbox
11-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Cartoon version of The Grinch is the only version in my mind.

pathoftheturtle
11-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Cartoon version of The Grinch is the only version in my mind.Me, too. (Well, that and the book.)

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Same here, the movie scared my kids

pathoftheturtle
11-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Same here, the movie scared my kids& not in a good way like
Oh yeah Gremlins!

ICry4Oy
12-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Probably my fave Christmas movie is "The Long Kiss Goodnight". It is also definitely in my top five fave movies EVER!

educatedlady
12-12-2010, 12:53 PM
My top two Christmas movies are old school classics -- White Christmas and Holiday Inn.
My other favorites are Scrooged, Christmas Vacation, and Elf.

Ricky
12-12-2010, 01:05 PM
I have yet to watch Elf this here. I'll have to remedy that soon!

ErinPatricia
12-12-2010, 07:33 PM
rankin bass. all of them.
die hard
chrsitmas story
christmas vacation
scrooged

kluker
12-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Christmas Story, Original Grinch, Veggitales Its a meaningful life, Rudolph and the island of misfit toys

Oh and White Christmas

Odetta
12-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Has anyone else seen the version of a Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart as Scrooge? I quite like him in that role!

turtlex
12-13-2010, 08:04 AM
Patrick Stewart is great ... in anything.

Yaksha
12-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Patrick Stewart could read a phonebook and still make it intriguing

Nightmare Before Christmas, just saying

Heather19
12-13-2010, 01:08 PM
My top two Christmas movies are old school classics -- White Christmas and Holiday Inn.

Oh, I forgot all about Holiday Inn! What a great film.

And for some reason I always associate A Nightmare Before Christmas with Halloween instead of Christmas.

blavigne
12-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Patrick Stewart is great ... in anything.

Second...........I really have a thing for bald men and it's a double with him..........that voice is too much!!

Ricky
12-13-2010, 05:34 PM
And for some reason I always associate A Nightmare Before Christmas with Halloween instead of Christmas.

Me too. I refuse to believe it's a Christmas movie.

Merlin1958
12-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Die Hard is totally a Christmas movie, and i love it

LOL I hear ya, but I think the OP was going more for pics about Christmas the Holiday than, about how many bad guys you can make sure do not to have a Merry Christmas Muthaf*cker!!!

LOL LOL :P

Iwritecode
12-16-2010, 07:42 AM
We just watched The Santa Clause 3 because my best friend's wife had never seen it before.

One of the rare movie trilogies where all 3 movies are actually pretty good IMO.

pathoftheturtle
12-19-2010, 02:34 PM
We just watched The Santa Clause 3 because my best friend's wife had never seen it before.

One of the rare movie trilogies where all 3 movies are actually pretty good IMO.I agree. And that's particularly noteworthy in that I didn't even expect the first one to work out. It's pretty impressive that they carried such a flimsy premise so far. I mean, it could have been a one-joke flop hinging on a ridiculous little pun, but it all turned out to really have heart.

kluker
12-19-2010, 04:49 PM
The Christmas Story was on the other day and I was surprised as hell about that.
But yesterday we spent most of the day watch the classics my son really loved the Frosty ones.

Ricky
12-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Really? Wow, I don't think I've ever seen it air before he 24-hr. marathon.

kluker
12-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Me either my husband wouldn't let me watch it though

Empath of the White
12-19-2010, 07:06 PM
I like most of the old claymation christmas movies; I've still got my old VHS tapes of Rudolph, Santa Claus is Comin' To Town etc. I'll have to check out parts 2 and 3 of the Santa Clause series. I liked the first one. Never looked at 2 or 3. I figured they'd be cash-ins.

Lance
12-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Me and my best friend back in my hometown always watch Bad Santa and Friday After Next when I come home for the holidays.

turtlex
12-20-2010, 03:29 AM
The original Miracle on 34th Street was on the other day! It's a Christmas classic and I so love it.

Emily
12-20-2010, 07:10 AM
The original Miracle on 34th Street was on the other day! It's a Christmas classic and I so love it.

I watched this too the other day. I love Maureen O'Hara, and always forget she's in this. So beautiful.

turtlex
12-20-2010, 07:53 AM
I love Maureen O'Hara. Period. She's awesome. Funny and beautiful. I can't ever get over how young Natalie Wood is !! Just a little, little kid !

ICry4Oy
12-23-2011, 10:20 AM

Christmas Vacation is still our must-see movie, but THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT is the absolute best Christmas movie ever!!!!!!!!

becca69
12-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Did anyone post Gremlins, Nightmare Before Christmas or how about the Jack Frost horror movies? ;)

Heather19
12-23-2011, 12:18 PM

Christmas Vacation is still our must-see movie, but THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT is the absolute best Christmas movie ever!!!!!!!!You don't like A Christmas Story :cry:

Are the Jack Frost ones good? I wanted to watch The Gingerdead Man this year, but netflix doesn't have it...

DoctorDodge
12-23-2011, 12:20 PM
It's a Wonderful Life, Scrooged, and Die Hard are some of my favourites.

ICry4Oy
12-23-2011, 12:20 PM
You don't like A Christmas Story :cry:

I know right!

I either end up bored and change the channel or just fall asleep in the middle of it. To this day I haven't watched the entire thing.

Heather19
12-23-2011, 12:21 PM
:o

becca69
12-23-2011, 12:46 PM
[/QUOTE]You don't like A Christmas Story :cry:

Are the Jack Frost ones good? I wanted to watch The Gingerdead Man this year, but netflix doesn't have it...[/QUOTE]

They're so bad they're good! But I like bad horror movies! And Christmas Story is the best. How can anyone not like it?

Heather19
12-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Oh good, I'll have to check them out. I love a really good horribly bad horror movie :lol:

ICry4Oy
12-23-2011, 01:15 PM
And Christmas Story is the best. How can anyone not like it?

For one thing, that ugly little kid creeps me out.:tongue1:

Heather19
12-23-2011, 01:16 PM
I bet you're loving my combo then :P
And I thought you out of anyone would love it.

pathoftheturtle
12-23-2011, 01:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtwVgOmPNPE

Jean
12-24-2011, 01:49 AM
It's a Wonderful Life <...>.
definitely

Merlin1958
12-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Christmas Vacation: Eddie!!!!

http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=zpCVrzVr97M&feature=yourepeat_gdata

alkanto
12-24-2011, 07:04 PM
It's a Wonderful Life <...>.
definitely

Restating this because, well...it can't be said enough times. This movie is simply fantastic. I hope to watch it later tonight even, if not tomorrow

pathoftheturtle
12-25-2011, 09:43 AM
You ever think about It's a Wonderful Life being mirror image of A Christmas Carol? In one, time traveling angels convince greedy man to change himself in order to alter the future, in the other time traveling angels convince unselfish man to accept himself in order to NOT alter the future. :orely:

Jean
12-25-2011, 10:09 AM
I thought it was intended?

DoctorDodge
12-25-2011, 10:26 AM
I always did see IaWL as a nice, christmas fable for cinema. Funny how both stories contain early examples of classic science fiction staples (time travel and parallel universes) and yet work entirely because they don't bother exploring how either works, the story's not about those ideas. They're used as a part of the story to explore and to push the characters, which is how I like my scifi: less something about ideas and more about people.

pathoftheturtle
12-28-2011, 11:20 AM
I love allegory. And I also love social themes, which both of these have in spades. (Although a major one in both cases is responsibility of the individual, so it goes together with stories about people, anyway.) Sorry if I inadvertently sounded dismissive -- nothing wrong with that, I was just thinking that it could make for an interesting discussion.

Iwritecode
12-20-2016, 11:39 AM
Bumping an old thread here I know but I see a few people here talking about movies like Gremlins and Die Hard as Christmas movies.

I've been having this discussion with others and there are a handful of movies that people like to qualify as "Christmas" movies simply because they take place on or near the holiday. To me there's a fine line between an actual Christmas movie, which would be a movie that's actually about the holiday itself and a movie that just so happens to take place on Christmas but has nothing to do with the actual holiday.

Christmas movies are things like A Christmas Story, National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, The Santa Clause, Elf, The Grinch who Stole Christmas, Krampus, etc...

Movies that aren't actual Christmas movies even though people try to be clever and include them in their lists every year are things like Die Hard, Gremlins, Rocky 4, Trading Places, The Ref, Lethal Weapon, The Shining, etc...

Am I alone in this?

Girlystevedave
12-20-2016, 01:35 PM
I've gotta say, Arthur Christmas has become one of my top 5 Christmas movies. I've watched it quite a few times this year.

Ricky
12-20-2016, 03:48 PM
Bumping an old thread here I know but I see a few people here talking about movies like Gremlins and Die Hard as Christmas movies.

I've been having this discussion with others and there are a handful of movies that people like to qualify as "Christmas" movies simply because they take place on or near the holiday. To me there's a fine line between an actual Christmas movie, which would be a movie that's actually about the holiday itself and a movie that just so happens to take place on Christmas but has nothing to do with the actual holiday.

Christmas movies are things like A Christmas Story, National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, The Santa Clause, Elf, The Grinch who Stole Christmas, Krampus, etc...

Movies that aren't actual Christmas movies even though people try to be clever and include them in their lists every year are things like Die Hard, Gremlins, Rocky 4, Trading Places, The Ref, Lethal Weapon, The Shining, etc...

Am I alone in this?

I tend to agree with that, but The Ref is definitely a Christmas movie.

Still Servant
12-20-2016, 06:22 PM

Am I alone in this?

I'll go to my grave arguing that Die Hard is a Christmas movie. The same for Gremlins. Sure, if you use your criteria, then it's not, but in my book it is.

In Gremlins, Gizmo is literally a fucking Christmas present.

Die Hard takes place at a Christmas party. There's Christmas music all over the place. Christmas references, "Ho, Ho, Ho, now I have a machine gun." I don't know why so many people get so bent out of shape when people consider films like this Christmas films. It's not diminishing other Christmas films like Christmas Vacation and Christmas Story.

It's like if I were to say It's a Wonderful Life isn't a Christmas movie because much of the film doesn't take place at Christmas.

Iwritecode
12-21-2016, 06:56 AM

Am I alone in this?

I'll go to my grave arguing that Die Hard is a Christmas movie. The same for Gremlins. Sure, if you use your criteria, then it's not, but in my book it is.

Die Hard takes place at a Christmas party. There's Christmas music all over the place. Christmas references, "Ho, Ho, Ho, now I have a machine gun." I don't know why so many people get so bent out of shape when people consider films like this Christmas films. It's not diminishing other Christmas films like Christmas Vacation and Christmas Story.

It's like if I were to say It's a Wonderful Life isn't a Christmas movie because much of the film doesn't take place at Christmas.

There are a lot of movies that could be considered Christmas movies if you use the simple criteria that some part of the story takes place around Christmas.

Just a few off the top of my head: Psycho, The Shining, The Family Man, Toy Story, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Edward Scissorhands, Trading Places, Batman Returns. I'm sure there are more that I haven't seen or am forgetting.

I just like to keep my list simple. Is the main plot of the movie about Christmas? If yes, then it's a Christmas movie. If it's about something that just happens to take place on Christmas, it's not a Christmas movie.

Tommy
12-21-2016, 07:03 AM

Am I alone in this?

There are a lot of movies that could be considered Christmas movies if you use the simple criteria that some part of the story takes place around Christmas.

Just a few off the top of my head: Psycho, The Shining, The Family Man, Toy Story, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Edward Scissorhands, Trading Places, Batman Returns. I'm sure there are more that I haven't seen or am forgetting.

I just like to keep my list simple. Is the main plot of the movie about Christmas? If yes, then it's a Christmas movie. If it's about something that just happens to take place on Christmas, it's not a Christmas movie.

Just for the sake of argument, doesn't It's a Wonderful Life simply happen on Christmas? Keep in mind I've only seen it once but other than happening on Christmas, what is Christmas about it?

webstar1000
12-21-2016, 07:18 AM

Am I alone in this?

DIE HARD IS A XMAS MOVIE... an action one.. but totally will go to my grave with ya on this.

Heather19
12-21-2016, 02:56 PM
It's a Wonderful Life barely takes place on Christmas. Actually just the end scene. I think it's more the message and feel goodness of it that always gets it classified as a Christmas movie. Personally would I classify it as a Christmas movie? Probably not? But I do like to watch it at this time of year.

Still Servant
12-21-2016, 03:47 PM

Am I alone in this?

I know what you mean. Die Hard is an action film first and foremost, but for me it belongs in the sub-genre of Christmas movie. Some of those films you listed don't have as much Christmas things going on in them as Die Hard does.

I will be the first to admit that I don't watch Die Hard during Christmas time because it's a Christmas movie and it gets me in the mood. I do that with many other films, but I still consider it a Christmas movie.

DoctorDodge
12-21-2016, 07:02 PM
Currently, going through a list of films and TV shows set mostly around Christmas, but are either horrific or just fucking depressing to watch. "The Bleak Midwinter", I call it. I've watched Black Christmas already, also planning to watch:

The Children (2008 )
Filth
Rare Exports (this one I haven't actually watched yet, so I'm keen to check it out)
Blackadder's Christmas Carol (an essential watch at this time of year)

I'm going to do a review of each one after I've watched it, so if anyone can think of any other depressing or dark Christmas movies for me to watch, let me know and I'll try and find it.

Tommy
12-21-2016, 09:36 PM
Please watch the unrated version of a french horror film called Inside. It takes place on Christmas eve and I will say no more about that one!

Tommy
12-24-2016, 03:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut-hn7sFieE

Tommy
12-24-2016, 03:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXKOF6rntUg

Sai Sheb
12-27-2016, 01:51 AM

Am I alone in this?

I think so yes... what about "Chucky" great Christmas movie... good overcoming bad... blah blah blah...

Stockerlone
12-27-2016, 02:59 AM
Think my alltime fav. Christmas movie is:

3 hazelnuts for cinderella
It´s an old 1973 ČSSR/DDR movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICRqekAqhTw

Tommy
12-31-2016, 12:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii2L702LA78