PDA

View Full Version : BTVSAT - Round 1: 1950s (Bracket 8)

mae
11-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Blue Peter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Peter)
vs.
The Benny Hill Show (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Benny_Hill_Show)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQxI2n3uZWA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GErfzp4KujM

candy
11-24-2010, 11:34 AM
f*cking hated Benny Hill

DoctorDodge
11-24-2010, 04:08 PM
I found quite a few of Benny Hill's sketches to be funny, mainly when I was younger, but...come on, it's Blue Peter! Anyone in Britain would've loved this programme at some point in their childhood! Also, it's always had a close relationship with Doctor Who, even when it was off the air (which I mostly learned from a documentary on a Who dvd), so that's double awesome points in my book! (I remember a Doctor Who special they did back in 1998 where they asked a few young fans of the show to talk about what they loved about Doctor Who, who was their favourite Doctor etc, and I applied to go on that programme. Didn't quite make it, of course, but I did get a Blue Peter badge!!! That I currently have no idea where it is... And before anyone outside the UK asks, yes, the badge is awesome for anyone born in this country!)

RainInSpain
11-25-2010, 02:38 AM
Hmm, never even heard of Blue Peter.
Benny Hill Show was practically a staple on late night TV here some years back - I've never particularly liked it, but watching an episode now and then was entertaining. But nowhere near voting for it, so I skip this poll.

jhanic
11-25-2010, 05:00 AM
I really liked Benny Hill.

John

LadyHitchhiker
11-25-2010, 06:08 AM
Never heard of Blue Peter either.

DoctorDodge
11-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Hmm, never even heard of Blue Peter.

Never heard of Blue Peter either.

I'm not surprised. It's a children's magazine show in Britain. It's really difficult to put into words what the presenters of the show do, as they generally do so much, but I think what it's most well known for is the phrase, "And here's something I made earlier" when making a cake or, even better, making something for your toys out of the cheapest household items. The most popular one was when they did the island base in Thunderbirds - a lot of mothers saved a lot of money that xmas, and became quite the popular item to make from glue and paper mache! They even did a Batcave once, i think.

Anyway, the fact is that if you're not British, then you most likely will never have heard of this show, as being aimed at children specifically in the UK it won't have an audience anywhere else, but if you do live in the UK, well fact is, you would've watched Blue Peter at some point in your childhood. Unlike a lot of popular British shows that have a small but devoted audience elsewhere because of how universal it is (see Life on Mars for one of the best examples), BP's just one of those shows you have to be a Brit to have a clue what it is, really.

candy
11-25-2010, 11:14 AM
I found quite a few of Benny Hill's sketches to be funny, mainly when I was younger, but...come on, it's Blue Peter! Anyone in Britain would've loved this programme at some point in their childhood! Also, it's always had a close relationship with Doctor Who, even when it was off the air (which I mostly learned from a documentary on a Who dvd), so that's double awesome points in my book! (I remember a Doctor Who special they did back in 1998 where they asked a few young fans of the show to talk about what they loved about Doctor Who, who was their favourite Doctor etc, and I applied to go on that programme. Didn't quite make it, of course, but I did get a Blue Peter badge!!! That I currently have no idea where it is... And before anyone outside the UK asks, yes, the badge is awesome for anyone born in this country!)

you got a BP badge?

**jealous, candy is jealous**

mae
11-27-2010, 08:37 AM
The Battle of British Television!

pathoftheturtle
11-27-2010, 11:51 AM
The Battle of British Television!Sort of. Blue Peter for the soft-hearted ones. The Benny Hill Show for the soft-headed ones.

mae
12-01-2010, 07:33 AM
The Benny Hill Show is moving on to Round 2, having received 12 votes (66.67%).