PDA

View Full Version : NFL Names KNTV's Jerry Rice Best Player Ever

Ruthful
11-19-2010, 03:57 PM
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/NFL-Names-Jerry-Rice-Best-Player-Ever-106789658.html

The San Francisco 49ers may have a bye week this weekend, but the NFL has still provided a parlor game to fuel arguments among the Faithful all weekend long.

The NFL has compiled a 100 Greatest Players of All Time list, announcing the names on the list in an ongoing segment on the NFL Network. And the player named the top NFL player of all time is none other than San Francisco 49ers receiver Jerry Rice. Rice is an exclusive commentator on things football for KNTV.

"Arguably the best receiver ever," the NFL says on the list, "Rice owns nearly every major receiving record, including most catches (1,549), receiving yards (22,895) and TD catches (197). Rice has at least 400 more catches than any other receiver."
The list was compiled by "a blue-ribbon panel of knowledgeable football minds" including Pat Summerall, Dick Vermeil, and Peter King...

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Growing up in the Bay Are during their heyday, I cant argue with this, even though I abhor the term "Best Ever"

John Blaze
11-19-2010, 04:14 PM
I agree. Jerry Rice is the greatest. He's also well loved, too, and not only by fans. I saw in an interview with some other niners player once ( I think it was Ronnie Lott, also a legend) that one time crazy-ass Bill Romanowski tried to kick his ass for some reason, and pretty much the entire team jumped Romanowski and beat hit ass. I don't care how crazy you are, Romanowski, no one fucks with Jerry.

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Too much Roids for that moron

Merlin1958
11-19-2010, 04:18 PM
I can concur with that. Rice was the greatest reciever and he had the Greatest QB Joe "Cool" Montana!!! A Notre Dame alum and his kid Nate is there following in his footsteps (hopefully)

John Blaze
11-19-2010, 04:43 PM
I was watching something on tv last year where Joe Montana's kid was on a high school team with Will Smith's kid, and some other famous guy's kid, nd they were undefeated mid season. They even showed some clips of Nate Montana during a game and man that kid can throw.

Merlin1958
11-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I'm a big ND fan (which is why I became a 49ers fan for Joe's tenure). The kid actually got into a game earlier this season and did fairly well for a freshman, 3rd stringer. He may be the future for Brian Kelly. Hey, they could probably get Dad to help out!!! LOL

Ruthful
11-19-2010, 07:45 PM
I hope so. As a Fighting Irish fan there's not much good to come out of this season, aside from the Utah romp.

Merlin1958
11-20-2010, 08:43 AM
I hope so. As a Fighting Irish fan there's not much good to come out of this season, aside from the Utah romp.

I know what you mean. The one saving grace from this season is that Kelly has put some emphasis on the defense once again. Something Weis didn't seem to care about much.

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Wait are there two boys that play football? I keep getting them mixed up which one is which

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Oh yeah Gretzky 's kid plays there too

Ruthful
11-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Wayne Gretsky's son is a football player?

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-20-2010, 12:22 PM
And a QB to boot

John Blaze
11-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks MO! I knew it was someone famous, but I didn't remember who. Yes, it was Gretsky's kid.

Ruthful
11-21-2010, 03:20 AM
Anyway, I agree with NFL Films. The only way to measure who's the best player of all-time, which is completely arbitrary, is to find the best person at a given position. Then find the second-best player, and measure the gap between the two.

Let's say Chris Carter is the second-best receiver of all-time. He was great, but the chasm between him and Rice is still enormous, whereas any other position there's heated debate. For everyone who says Joe Montana there's someone who says Johnny Unitas. If you want the best pass-rusher you can go with either Reggie White or L.T. With wide-outs, there's no debate.

Merlin1958
11-21-2010, 03:46 AM
I hear what you're saying. I tend to measure success in rings. In that light Montana only has Bradshaw for a comparison. Plus he got a National Championship with the Irish.

Nut the next guy may measure only in total yards, etc, etc. It's pretty hard to nail it down, but Rice is kinda in his own stratosphere.

Ruthful
11-21-2010, 04:34 AM
I'm not discounting the rings, you can't QB four Super Bowl winning teams and stink, but I think Bradshaw is highly overrated. His TD-INT is almost as bad as Joe Natmath's. He didn't accumulate amazing yardage. Plus, he probably played for one of the best franchises in the National Football League, whereas Marino, Manning, Unitas, all of those guys carried their teams.

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-21-2010, 11:42 AM
I think rings is an inaccurate measurement in team sport. Would anyone dispute Barry Sanders is one of the best RB ever? Is his rank knocked down because he has no rings?

Merlin1958
11-21-2010, 04:57 PM
I think rings is an inaccurate measurement in team sport. Would anyone dispute Barry Sanders is one of the best RB ever? Is his rank knocked down because he has no rings?

Yeah I believe it is. It is the cherry on top of any career to win the big one or even, in some cases just get in it. Archie will never be considered on a par (if that's even possible) as his son's since he played for the 'Aints. He was arguably comparative to them for his era and team. Same with Fran Tarkington, Dan Marino and Fouts. Never get to the pinnacle. Is it fair? maybe not, but (at least I and whole lot of other folks) it will always factor into the discussion. It goes for most sports, they'll always say he was the greatest, if only he had a team around him or, he never won the big one!!

They don't call 'em CHAMPIONS for nothing you know. In the old days (way old) if you weren't the Champ, you were dead!!! LOL

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-21-2010, 05:27 PM
There are so many variables when it comes to team sports. Other players, coaches, bullshit upper management. I personally think its totally unfair, but I see how it could factor in. I still think best ever is subjective and personal and there will never ever be a best ever because there is no way to measure it for everyone

Merlin1958
11-21-2010, 05:34 PM
There are so many variables when it comes to team sports. Other players, coaches, bullshit upper management. I personally think its totally unfair, but I see how it could factor in. I still think best ever is subjective and personal and there will never ever be a best ever because there is no way to measure it for everyone

Well stated and would agree with you whole-heartedly!!! It really comes down to a "Fan" question in the end, with few exceptions. By the numbers, for instance, Babe Ruth is still the greatest HR hitter ever. Apologies to Hank Aaron, no apologies to Barry Bonds!! LOL You always, at the least, have to adjust for "era" and that's damn near impossible!!!

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-21-2010, 05:56 PM
No apologies ever to Barroid, matter of fact DIAF