PDA

View Full Version : BTVSAT - Round 1: 1980s (Bracket 5)

mae
11-17-2010, 05:59 AM
Roseanne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseanne_%28TV_series%29)
vs.
Amazing Stories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Stories_%28TV_series%29)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31TUcBXjpPQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKsg4LloUPk

turtlex
11-17-2010, 06:07 AM
Roseanne - Probably one of the most honest depictions of a working class family and their struggles ever depicted on US television. Plus - it was funny. Laugh out loud, funny.

ICry4Oy
11-17-2010, 06:11 AM
I agree! Well...except for all of the episodes after they won the lottery - those were just plain awful...those and any of her "fantasy" episodes.

Odetta
11-17-2010, 07:47 AM
I always liked Amazing Stories!

Heather19
11-17-2010, 08:16 AM
I hate that my favorites are always put up against each other :(

I think I'm going to go with Amazing Stories though. It's always been a favorite of mine.

fernandito
11-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Don't care for either.

Iwritecode
11-17-2010, 08:47 AM
I agree! Well...except for all of the episodes after they won the lottery - those were just plain awful...those and any of her "fantasy" episodes.

That whole final season was pretty terrible. IIRC, they didn't even plan on having the show on that season so they came up that horrible lottery idea.

I also never really liked the series finale. In my mind, the final 5 minutes of that last episode with the voice-over explaining everything never happened. The show ended with them all eating Chinese take-out in the kitchen.

pathoftheturtle
11-17-2010, 10:59 AM

That whole final season was pretty terrible. IIRC, they didn't even plan on having the show on that season so they came up that horrible lottery idea.

I also never really liked the series finale. In my mind, the final 5 minutes of that last episode with the voice-over explaining everything never happened. The show ended with them all eating Chinese take-out in the kitchen.It didn't explain that "everything" never happened, only that that final season which you found so terrible never happened. I loved the finale.

Amazing Stories... meh. I definitely vote Roseanne.

Iwritecode
11-17-2010, 11:35 AM
It didn't explain that "everything" never happened, only that that final season which you found so terrible never happened. I loved the finale.

Possible Rosanne spoilers.

Simply switching who the girls were dating and eventually married to destroys the plotline of many of the past shows. I think it was meant to show that the entire show was a story written by her the whole time.

pathoftheturtle
11-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Point taken, -- it did make the whole series subjective -- but I still love it. I don't think it takes anything positive away from what the show was about, but just adds depth. I guess that's a matter of opinion, however.

re: Amazing Stories, some scripts were better than others, but I found it mostly quite corny. You folken seen "Gather Ye Acorns" (with Mark Hamill and the troll)? That's an interesting one.

Iwritecode
11-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Point taken, -- it did make the whole series subjective -- but I still love it. I don't think it takes anything positive away from what the show was about, but just adds depth. I guess that's a matter of opinion, however.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the show too. In fact, I have the entire thing on DVD.

OchrisO
11-17-2010, 02:45 PM
I love Roseanne. I still watch it on late night tvland all the time.

I grew up with Roseanne and had the biggest Darlene crush ever.

OchrisO
11-17-2010, 02:52 PM
It didn't explain that "everything" never happened, only that that final season which you found so terrible never happened. I loved the finale.

Possible Rosanne spoilers.

Simply switching who the girls were dating and eventually married to destroys the plotline of many of the past shows. I think it was meant to show that the entire show was a story written by her the whole time.

She says in the final episode that none of the stuff after Dan's heart attack happened. He died in the hospital. All of the rest of it was just modified, with things like her sister being gay and not her mother, and the daughters dating the opposite guys. It certainly would have changed how a lot of the story arcs happened, but I think they were probably meant to have happened. They even toy around earlier on with what David ad Becky would have been like together when she is unhappy with Mark and hanging out with David a bunch. I really hated everything after they won the lottery and thought that it was pretty horrible end to an otherwise amazing show.

jhanic
11-18-2010, 01:39 PM
I just never liked (and still don't like) Roseanne Barr. Amazing Stories.

John

Ruthful
11-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Amazing Stories is probably one of my favorite shows from the '80s, along with Tales from the Dark Side and V.

Brilliant show, which just goes to prove that Steven Spielberg knows what he's doing.

Darkthoughts
11-22-2010, 06:40 AM
Roseanne all the way.

mae
11-23-2010, 09:36 AM
This poll will close tomorrow, so please get your vote in if you haven't already.

mae
11-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Roseanne moves on to Round 2, having received 16 votes (64.00%).