PDA

View Full Version : BTVSAT - Round 1: 2000s (Bracket 4)

mae
11-15-2010, 05:31 AM
Lost (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_%28TV_series%29)
vs.
Sons of Anarchy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_of_Anarchy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoGebTIYjPg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKwzwm6dyY8

Heather19
11-15-2010, 05:33 AM
Lost :D

fernandito
11-15-2010, 05:47 AM
Hmmm .... this is a tough one .... :D

candy
11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
:rofl: i share the same conumdum Feeve

I believe Lost may well lose out in this first round:wtf:

mae
11-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Someone already voted for SOA.

Iwritecode
11-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Of all the shows for SOA to get pitted against in the first round. Totally sucks.

alkanto
11-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I really don't like SOA, and I used to be a big Lost fan, so.....I suppose I have no choice here....

Lost. :ninja:

:D

fernandito
11-15-2010, 12:00 PM
...and I used to be a big Lost fan...

Used to be ? ... :orely:

alkanto
11-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Have I not explained this to you? Thought I had....

I watched the first two seasons and loved them. I was rightfully the first television show I got obsessed with. Season 3 was pretty good, but I got somewhat lost in all the time jumps, and it began to annoy me.
Then, they had the whole mess-up with airing schedules, and we didn't see it for almost a year. Then the writer's strike happened. And when the strike ended, I looked at all the shows I watched previous to it, and made a list of ones I missed seeing. I continued to watch those shows. Unfortunately, Lost didn't make the cut. I just didn't think about when it wasn't on...and I had other shows I liked a lot better at that point. So I kinda gave up. It was very good in the first seasons, though. Hence the voting it its favor.

fernandito
11-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Fair enough. You really should get to the latter seasons at some point if you have the time/will power to do so , you might end up liking it a lot more if you're able to judge it as a whole rather than a fragmented series of episodes.

alkanto
11-15-2010, 12:11 PM
I know...I really should pick it back up. The problem is I get so distracted by Doctor Wh....I mean....other shows that I usually end up putting it off.

Maybe with the Lore re-watch happening next year I can re-do the first 2 seasons and see if that motivates me to keep going :orely:

fernandito
11-15-2010, 12:12 PM
There you go ! Perfect. Perhaps an in depth analysis of each episode will re-kindle your love for the show. :)

OchrisO
11-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Gah, I love Lost, but SoA is so damned awesome. I have to vote for it. If Lost had ended better, it might have gotten my vote.

Emily
11-15-2010, 02:56 PM
I love Sons, but it doesn't even hold a candle to LOST, IMO. Sorry Jax, you sexy beast.

fernandito
11-15-2010, 02:58 PM
I like what I see so far ! :D

OchrisO
11-15-2010, 03:11 PM
You know, while Lost has an amazing overall story and I love it, it has a lot of episodes along the way that I found pretty boring. They were spaced out and there was never a point where I thought about stopping watching Lost. SoA, in my opinion, has been consistently amazing for pretty much every episode. I don't expect it to win, though. It is a shame that such a good show randomly came up against a powerhouse like Lost right out the gate.

That clip up there doesn't do SoA much justice, though.

mae
11-15-2010, 07:20 PM
That clip up there doesn't do SoA much justice, though.

Sorry, but there wasn't too much to choose from on Youtube :(

But feel free to post others.

Odetta
11-16-2010, 08:12 AM
I hate LOST :ninja:

and if anyone wants to know why...

You have to watch every...damn... episode or you are entirely LOST on what the hell is going on! Too much of a commitment... too many twists throughout the seasons... just got stupid to keep up!

fernandito
11-16-2010, 09:20 AM

You have to watch every...damn... episode or you are entirely LOST on what the hell is going on! Too much of a commitment... too many twists throughout the seasons... just got stupid to keep up!

That's what I love about the show. Virtually every episode is connected and paramount to the ep that succeeds it. If I had my way, LOST's form of non-linear storytelling and cliff hanger-esque bow-outs would be emulated by many other shows.

pathoftheturtle
11-16-2010, 09:54 AM
...You have to watch every...damn... episode or you are entirely LOST on what the hell is going on! Too much of a commitment... You might not like it, but you must admit that that is appropriate.

With the rest of television (and every other aspect of life in society, even) being now designed to cater to the lowest common denominator, so that knowing nothing but what's immediately apparent is never a handicap, non-commitment is actually a virtue, and there's no real advantage to paying attention, I begin to think that Ayn Rand may have had a point.

Odetta
11-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Well, if I LIKED the show, maybe I wouldn't mind committing to it... but all the twists seem like a cop-out to me... nothing has to make sense, just screw around with it some more so we don't really have to answer anything!

fernandito
11-17-2010, 08:44 AM
?

I'm not sure which unexplained twists you're talking about love. With the exception of a few plot points that are left open to interpretation, most of the events that unfold have a basis somewhere in the story/previous episodes.

Jean
11-17-2010, 08:59 AM
you're intriguing me further and further...

fernandito
11-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Excellent :D

Heather19
11-17-2010, 09:54 AM
I definitely think you'll enjoy it Jean. I can't wait for you to watch it.

pathoftheturtle
11-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Well, if I LIKED the show, maybe I wouldn't mind committing to it... but all the twists seem like a cop-out to me... nothing has to make sense, just screw around with it some more so we don't really have to answer anything!Well, as I said, you don't have to like it. I'm just asking if it always makes sense to say that shows have to make sense in every sense of the word sense. :lol: Feeling lost sometimes is acceptable to me, personally.

Odetta
11-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Shows don't have to make sense all of the time... I just found it TOO extreme in that series... I shouldn't have to watch EVERY SINGLE SHOW to know what the hell is going on, and even then, still be confused... I just don't like TV that much.

mae
11-21-2010, 11:18 AM
This poll closes tomorrow morning, so get your vote in if you haven't already.

DoctorDodge
11-21-2010, 11:47 AM

That's what I love about the show. Virtually every episode is connected and paramount to the ep that succeeds it. If I had my way, LOST's form of non-linear storytelling and cliff hanger-esque bow-outs would be emulated by many other shows.

I'll admit it's a great way to tell a series, but there's been a few other shows that have genuinely tried to have that formula of having an ongoing narrative with each episode as part of a larger story and yet just get cancelled long before it's had a chance to fully tell its story from beginning to end because audiences just can't be bothered to tune in every week. Oh, they may record it to watch later on, but does anyone take notice of what's recorded or watched on demand when it comes to tv series in the US? It's why I didn't bother watching a single ep of Lost until I heard that a final season was actually planned - it meant there was a good chance that the ending wouldn't be rushed (like the US Life on Mars that was actually not too bad until it reached an ending that basically shat all over the original along with plenty of decent Bowie songs), or at least it would have an ending. I've still yet to watch seasons 5 and 6, but I certainly plan to before the year is over. Just remember that whilst ongoing storytelling is great to have in theory, unless you have have a good core audience from the first ep, that show is basically doomed to fail.

fernandito
11-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Just remember that whilst ongoing storytelling is great to have in theory, unless you have have a good core audience from the first ep, that show is basically doomed to fail.

Hmmm, not sure I agree. Certain shows have a healthy amount of followers during the initial episodes, but quickly fizzle out because the quality just isn't there. LOST started out relatively hush-hush, but it garnered fans at an accelerated rate because the quality of the writing was outstanding week in and week out. I actually watched the first 5 episodes of the 2nd season before I realized I wanted to go back and watch the first season.

Think about some of the most sought after shows, currently - Dexter, Breaking Bad, Weeds, etc., all shows with a very large following that operate on an ongoing storyline. Basically, if the quality is there, everything else will follow.

mae
11-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Lost moves on to Round 2, having received 19 votes (76.00%).

fernandito
11-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Of course it does :D

Merlin1958
11-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Sons of Anarchy!!!!!!!!!!!