PDA

View Full Version : Book Signings and Appearances-Tips and experiences

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

The Red Rose
05-23-2007, 06:17 AM
Not sure if this should go here as it is non-King so if it needs moving, sorry to create work.

J. K. Rowling doing a midnight signing, read about it here:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20070523/ten-rowling-in-midnight-potter-book-sign-ea4616c.html

The Official Bloomsbury site:

http://www.bloomsbury.com/harrypotter/event/

Hannah
05-23-2007, 06:30 AM
The first link is broken... but the second one works.

This makes me wish I lived in London, if only for one night.

Matt
05-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Same here. I think this might go well in Dutch Hill since its non King

The Red Rose
05-23-2007, 07:19 AM
I put it in the official Harry Potter thread over there too, so if you wish to delete this...

Hannah
05-23-2007, 07:39 AM
I think it's a good overall thread for booksigning stuff. :)

Matt
05-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Me too. I don't see any reason why it can't continue and I would love to post any King book signings on the Current News page.

Dolan
05-25-2007, 04:47 AM
Im going to an Al Gore signing today. The limit is ONE book! Ha! But otherwise I would offer to pick some up...

The next big one is John Updike - not sure I will make that one. But Michael Ondaatje is signing and I am DEF going to that one. Author of The English Patient

Nerak
05-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Not sure if this should go here as it is non-King so if it needs moving, sorry to create work.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20070523/ten-rowling-in-midnight-potter-book-sign-ea4616c.html

OH MY GOD!!! GO GO GO get in there, both you and Rachel!!! Get me a book!! LOL I wanna be there :(

Dolan
05-27-2007, 08:23 PM
This was the author signing for Khaled Hosseni who wrote The Kite Runner. Those of you who have read it - know how amazing of a novel it is. Those who haven't, should.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e351/bookcollectors/khoss.jpg

The Red Rose
05-28-2007, 04:47 AM

OH MY GOD!!! GO GO GO get in there, both you and Rachel!!! Get me a book!! LOL I wanna be there :(

We're trying, I've put in our "one entry per household" to win tickets but there will only be one signed book per household from what I can gather.

If we do manage to get tickets we'll do our best to get as many signed copies as possible and you're first on our list to have one.

Nerak
05-28-2007, 04:52 PM
I knew there was a reason I love you so much!!!!!! :rock:

Ari_Racing
10-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Well, the idea is to post about authors and artist's signings. :)

Don Maitz (illustrations for Desperation and The Talisman 1st) will attend The Fargo Entertainment Expo which takes places from October 26-28, 2007 in Fargo, ND.

Randall Flagg
10-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks Ari. If King ever appears or signs I would also suggest posting in The Oracle.

Nerak
10-10-2007, 06:37 AM
Tuesday October 16th

STEPHEN KING and special guests

present The Best American Short Stories 2007

THIS EVENT IS NOW SOLD OUT.

STEPHEN KING, world-renowned author and guest editor of The Best American Short Stories 2007, will be joined by Series Editor Heidi Pitlor along with contributors Jim Shepard, Karen Russell, and Richard Russo to discuss King's picks of the best American short fiction for 2007. Scary good!

Following the talk, Mr. King will sign copies of Best American Short Stories 2007. In order to ensure that as many people as possible get a book signed, Mr. King will only sign copies of Best American Short Stories 2007, limited to one per person.

Ari_Racing
10-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Thanks Karen! :)

Nerak
10-10-2007, 05:12 PM
soooooooo excited! My first time being right in front of THE MAN!!! :rock:

Nerak
10-17-2007, 08:22 AM
OK!!! Had sooo much fun last night! King is a card! What a good time that was!

Here's a couple of pics....

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5382/dscn3711od1.jpg

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/4817/kinghg7.jpg

lepra79
10-17-2007, 08:41 AM
thanks Karen!!!

greats photos!!!

do you have someone more?

Storyslinger
10-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Cool

Dolan
10-17-2007, 09:03 AM
wow...thats cool Karen!

Ari_Racing
10-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Congratulations!!!! :)

Matt
10-17-2007, 09:17 AM
**drools with envy**

You would think, as much as the man writes about Colorado...that he would come here every now and then. :lol:

Asterisco
10-17-2007, 10:26 AM
OMG! Congratulations!!!
Tell us more about it!!

And more pics! :D

Nerak
10-17-2007, 03:02 PM
They all came out, King, Karen Russell, Richard Russo, Jim Shepard and Heidi Pitlor. Heidi introduced them all and then King did a brief little speech about how he chose the stories and then it was onto the readings. The three authors were delightful to hear. All had wonderful reading voices. The passages they chose were witty and entertaining. They then did a short, or what was supposed to be short, Q&A. Because of the fact that all five people at the table were answering each question, they only got 5 questions done before starting the signing. The line was quite long but they did announce before the beginning of the program that King would be signing all 1000 copies of the book. So in line we went. People up the back of the church got first in line as they started it up the left side and told people to go into the center of the church and then up the left side to form the line. The line then went outside, down the steps and down the walk. Lucky for me, the people that I was with, Hubby, Robert, and Rick and Sheila Berry were in the balcony and got down before the questions started. They ended up right outside the doors. Once King did start signing, and it was only the sig, no personalizations, the line moved fast! Then another line was formed down the center isle for the other three authors.
I ended up purchasing, before the event, the hard cover of the book, so I had that signed by everyone. Once the end of the line was visible in the church, I got into it and had the paperback that came with the ticket signed too!! WOOT!!! It was my first time with Mr. King up close and personal and it was cool. Didn't get to say much, but it was cool being with him right there!!

SO, there's the whole story!

As for pics, I wasn't supposed to be taking them so I took them without a flash and they came out blurry, those are the clearest two.

Erin
10-17-2007, 03:03 PM
That's so awesome Karen!

Patrick
10-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Love that story, Karen!

Can I have the extra book? :ninja:

Rahfa
10-17-2007, 04:22 PM
I did see you there Karen! I knew I did, but I wasn't 100 percent sure...You were walking past me when I was in the second authors line, and I was about to say something, but the guy behind me said something to me and broke my concentration...

Too bad, I would have liked to say hello to you and Robert...oh well...see at the Joe Hill thing on Saturday, I'm sure!

Nerak
10-18-2007, 09:54 AM
I did see you there Karen! I knew I did, but I wasn't 100 percent sure...You were walking past me when I was in the second authors line, and I was about to say something, but the guy behind me said something to me and broke my concentration...

Too bad, I would have liked to say hello to you and Robert...oh well...see at the Joe Hill thing on Saturday, I'm sure!

Nathan,you shumk!! You should have said HI!!! LOL When did you get back to the states?

I will be there there Sat as will Robert oh and my husband will be there too!! :)

And Patrick, no, you may not, it's a Christmas present for one of my best friends!! LOL But nice try! HE HE

Ari_Racing
10-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Is it a present for me then?? OH THANK YOU!! :D LOL

Nerak
10-19-2007, 05:37 AM
Is it a present for me then?? OH THANK YOU!! :D LOL

Ari, while I find you attractive and consider you to be one of my friends, I DO NOT consider you one of my BEST friends! LOL

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! LOL

wizardsrainbow
10-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Guess that puts me in the driver's seat...and I'm a Red Sox fan to boot:dance:

Nerak
10-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Guess that puts me in the driver's seat...and I'm a Red Sox fan to boot:dance:

You are too cute, but no!!! :orely:

Patrick
10-19-2007, 10:55 AM
By process of elimination, it must be me then. Gosh! :blush:

Asterisco
10-19-2007, 11:48 AM
So the only one left it's me! :) Thanks Nerak! :D

Patrick
10-19-2007, 01:59 PM
FYI, I just merged the two book signing threads ("Book Signings" and "Signings and Appearances") as there was already an older one on the second page of threads in this forum.

:)

Nerak
10-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Stop fighting! It's going to Lisa!! You hear me, Lisa! LOL

Now, tonight I am off to see Joe!! WOO HOO!!!!!!

Report on that tomorrow!

Patrick
10-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Stop fighting! It's going to Lisa!! You hear me, Lisa! LOL

Now, tonight I am off to see Joe!! WOO HOO!!!!!!

Report on that tomorrow!

Have a great time, say hi to Joe for me!

Rahfa
10-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Went to Joe Hill tonight...classy guy as always...takes some extra time to personalize each book in a semi-unique way.

Also got a little info on the revised Gunslinger...

oy-the-brave
10-20-2007, 04:55 PM

Oh you're such a tease:evil:

Details:excited:

Nerak
10-21-2007, 05:58 AM
Went to Joe Hill tonight...classy guy as always...takes some extra time to personalize each book in a semi-unique way.

shhhh, Trade secrets!!!! LOL

And for Kenny...

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5396/dscn3732vu9.jpg

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/94/dscn3724cf5.jpg

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/4027/dscn3731gf5.jpg
See the poster that I am hoping to get..:)

Dolan
10-21-2007, 06:32 AM
[quote=Rahfa;50628]Went to Joe Hill tonight...classy guy as always...takes some extra time to personalize each book in a semi-unique way.

shhhh, Trade secrets!!!! LOL

And for Kenny...

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5396/dscn3732vu9.jpg

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Karen! Thanks so much!! Wow - talk about excited!

Dolan
10-21-2007, 06:40 AM
This week there will be a book signing for Valarie Plame.

I can have one extra signed if anyone is interested.

Also - the week after next is Sir David Frost...

Spencer
10-21-2007, 08:11 AM
One of these days, when the moon is full and I change my car's name to Christine, King MIGHT come somewhere near here. :lol: Loved the pics, Karen. :D

Brice
10-21-2007, 08:33 AM
One of these days, when the moon is full and I change my car's name to Christine, King MIGHT come somewhere near here. :lol: Loved the pics, Karen. :D

The closest I've known him to come to there is Va. Bch. and that has been quite awhile.

Patrick
10-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks for sharing the pics, Karen. Great inscription for Kenny, too. That was nice of you. :)

Storyslinger
10-22-2007, 06:36 AM
Yes very cool all

CRinVA
10-22-2007, 07:35 AM
Karen, You'll never forget your "first time!" :-)

Awesome!

NeedfulKings
10-22-2007, 08:06 AM
This week there will be a book signing for Valarie Plame.

I can have one extra signed if anyone is interested.

Also - the week after next is Sir David Frost...

Has anyone showed interest? Since he's got nothing planned on this side of the Earth yet, I'd be.

Dolan
10-22-2007, 08:13 AM
For David Frost? I can get you one. Just to note, the first edition of the newest book is a paperback.... blah

NeedfulKings
10-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Oh sh!t, somehow, I had Joe Hill on the brain! Never mind!!! :p

It's Monday!!! :onfire:

Matt
01-16-2008, 09:26 AM
I considered bidding on it and then decided to blow all my money to travel and see King in DC :rock:

This is going to be so very cool--someone is going to have to teach me "book signing" etiquette. :lol:

CRinVA
01-16-2008, 09:43 AM
I considered bidding on it and then decided to blow all my money to travel and see King in DC :rock:

This is going to be so very cool--someone is going to have to teach me "book signing" etiquette. :lol:

1. Get in line - no pushing, yelling or screaming
2. Remember to bring a book to be signed!
3. Do not act like an idiot! Do not drool or stutter! Do not hyperventilate!
4. Speak up - it may be your only chance to talk to the Master!
5. Do not brag about how much $$ you're going to make on ebay!
6. If no pics allowed - bring camera anyway - at least camera phone!
7. If you can get a pic of King singing your book that'd be great - even better if you are in the pic - but don't plan on it!
8. Do not ask where do you get your ideas?
9. Keep your ticket stub - provinenance if ever needed!
10. Enjoy the moment - and it will be a moment! :-)

wizardsrainbow
01-16-2008, 09:46 AM

Are you serious Matt! Then we will have a big party in DC!
BIG question is....what book do you get signed? TOUGH choice here

Matt
01-16-2008, 09:51 AM

1. Get in line - no pushing, yelling or screaming
2. Remember to bring a book to be signed!
3. Do not act like an idiot! Do not drool or stutter! Do not hyperventilate!
4. Speak up - it may be your only chance to talk to the Master!
5. Do not brag about how much $$ you're going to make on ebay!
6. If no pics allowed - bring camera anyway - at least camera phone!
7. If you can get a pic of King singing your book that'd be great - even better if you are in the pic - but don't plan on it!
8. Do not ask where do you get your ideas?
9. Keep your ticket stub - provinenance if ever needed!
10. Enjoy the moment - and it will be a moment! :-)

Y'know? That really helped. I was wondering about bringing a book. Not to mention, he'll sign my wife's too!! Which to bring, which to bring...:panic:

Are you serious Matt! Then we will have a big party in DC!

Seriously man, that is going to haunt my waking moments between now and then. Not only that, but the possibility of meeting you would be amazing.

If I can get Duma Key before then, that will be one of them I think. The other may have to be that UK version of the Stand. :nana:

CRinVA
01-16-2008, 10:06 AM
I am thinking about getting my Dark Tower VII Artist Edition signed and maybe my First Edition Carrie!

If I had a First Edition Gunslinger that would be the one. I already have my The Stand signed (Personalized). I am also considering my First Edition IT.

Matt
01-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Oh man, I have an AE of DTVII that one would be great to have a sig on.

<--harsh pondering

wizardsrainbow
01-16-2008, 10:32 AM
:excited: Mannnnnnnnn. Tough tough choice for me. Do I go with something that I know will really increase the value, like a Carrie or Salem's Lot first (even though I have a signed copy of both) or something that I want signed and do not have.

I might consider getting my UK ARC of Song of Susannah done and then I'd have both UK VI and VII ARCs signed (way cool!) Or maybe, if I acquire a 1st edition UK Salem's Lot, then I would have a matching pair. Maybe a 1st edition Shining? The possibilities are endless and confuzzeling:unsure:

wizardsrainbow
01-16-2008, 10:37 AM
I gotta go get some air. I'm hyperventilating here :lol:

Matt
01-16-2008, 11:13 AM
:rofl:

I went down to the rest stop and hugged myself for a bit.

Room 217 Caretaker
01-16-2008, 11:34 AM
I am thinking about getting my Dark Tower VII Artist Edition signed and maybe my First Edition Carrie!

If I had a First Edition Gunslinger that would be the one. I already have my The Stand signed (Personalized). I am also considering my First Edition IT.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

April 4th

I can't go. I have waited sooooo loooong to get my First Edition Gunslinger signed. I'm away that week with my team.

:cry: :cry:

Any spouse want to go???? I'll pay the ticket :evil:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Matt
01-16-2008, 11:35 AM
I would take it for you Mulleins but I don't have any signatures at all so I have to be selfish on my own books. :(

Maybe we can find someone to cart it for you though.

Ari_Racing
01-16-2008, 11:56 AM
In case you find two, I'm paying for the other ticket as well!!!

Matt
01-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Dang, I'd take my whole family if we were closer :lol:

Randall Flagg
01-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Is it clear yet that you can take a specific title?

Matt
01-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Hmmm...I am not sure about that. I'll have to go back out and look at the website again.

Room 217 Caretaker
01-16-2008, 01:44 PM
This is all they say:

Stephen King, Tabitha King, and Owen King read from their work. A reception and book signing will follow.

Please note that the authors will be able to only sign one book per audience member.

Matt
01-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Yep, I am going to guess that it means you can bring anything.

Rahfa
01-16-2008, 02:55 PM
That makes the most sense...though I imagine there will be Tabitha and Owen's books available for purchase...I would also assume they'll have Duma Key there for purchase as well, for anyone who doesn't bring their own book.

Matt
01-16-2008, 03:06 PM
:ninja:

See, I'll get him to sign two...then cry because I bought Duma Key and didn't put it up there.

<---goes for the sympathy sig :lol:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-16-2008, 03:24 PM
That makes the most sense...though I imagine there will be Tabitha and Owen's books available for purchase...I would also assume they'll have Duma Key there for purchase as well, for anyone who doesn't bring their own book.

The idea of the signing is that you buy their latest releases and they will sign them. Why else would they be there.

In reality they will sign any book you put in front of them.

Matt
01-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Hmmm...I hate to break etiquette. Wonder if I should just buy what I can there :orely:

This is so exciting, we should probably move the discussion to the thread for it here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=92718#post92718) though.

Rahfa
01-16-2008, 04:05 PM

The idea of the signing is that you buy their latest releases and they will sign them. Why else would they be there.

In reality they will sign any book you put in front of them.

Yeah, thanks for the update on how signings work. However, in many recent Stephen King signings, including the Best Short Stories signing, he did NOT sign anything "you put in front of them." In fact, it was specifically noted that he would only sign the Short Story book.

Because they haven't said the signing in this case will be limited to Duma Key I would assume he will sign books the audience brings.

Owen King doesn't really have a "latest" release. His book came out in paperback two years ago, so it's not like he's touring to promote anything...I don't know about Tabitha.

Rahfa
01-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Hmmm...I hate to break etiquette. Wonder if I should just buy what I can there :orely:

This is so exciting, we should probably move the discussion to the thread for it here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=92718#post92718) though.

There's no etiqueete to worry about...if they restrict the signing to only a book available for sale, they'll certainly tell you, and then sell you whatever they have there...bring the book you want him to sign and worry about it later (I brought a Carrie to the Harvard signing - but it remained in my coat pocket!)

Besides, if they change the rules they'll update the website info anyway.

Matt
01-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Sounds like good advice, thank you.

Randall Flagg
01-16-2008, 04:57 PM

I think both threads can peacefully coexist.
The Oracle is the official notice. People that aren't going will soon be dispassionate about it.
Collectors discussing what book to have signed, the experience etc, will last for quite some time, even after the event.

Bev Vincent
01-16-2008, 04:58 PM
I would recommend checking back at the event site closer to the event. They may clarify their policy between now and then. Tabitha King's most recent work is Candles Burning, coauthored with Michael McDowell.

Matt
01-16-2008, 05:06 PM

I think both threads can peacefully coexist.
The Oracle is the official notice. People that aren't going will soon be dispassionate about it.
Collectors discussing what book to have signed, the experience etc, will last for quite some time, even after the event.

That makes good sense Jerome--I just meant the discussion itself. This thread is a dt.com mainstay. :lol:

But perhaps a thread in here on "Book Signing Suggestions" would be a nice place for the talk.

I'll do that Bev and thanks for the advice. I've decided I will wait to buy Duma Key until I am there regardless and I wouldn't mind having Tabitha's book either. I understand she is actually quite good.

I'm going hog wild. :rock:

Matt
01-16-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm going to move posts from the "Intriguing Stephen King and Dark Tower Auctions" thread in here so that one can remain for its subject.

:fairy:

NeedfulKings
01-16-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm excited that you guys will see King AND get to partake in a personal signing!!!! Seeing King (for me) was a once in a lifetime oppurtunity and the fact that they sold pre-signed books was icing on the cake.

Have fun and good luck choosing a book! :P I had two with me (just in case). My 2nd Edition Gunslinger and my First Edition Danse Macabre. I'm not sure you see a lot of the latter signed. It would have been awesome!

wizardsrainbow
01-17-2008, 03:57 AM
Now you guys have gotten me all flustered about whether or not he will sign ANY book. I have been to three events:

The first was The Wavedancer Benefit (2-2-02), where I made an extra donation to qualify to get 2 books signed. Books were at the benefit (you could not bring your own), so I ended up with Black House and Dreamcatcher. The cool thing was, as far as I know, the true title to DT V was not generally known at that time. Rumor at the time was "The Crawling Shadow," but King talked to me as he signed my book and he told me the actual title was "Wolves of the Calla." I remember almost pissing my pants 'cause not only did I have 2 signed books but I also had what I thought was "inside information." I've never checked, but the Wolves title probably was newly released but I sure didn't know it at the time and finding out also made the event that much more special to me.

The second event was the 92nd Street Y interview with Charlie Rose here in NY the day before DT VII got released. I had a 4th row ticket (sweet!) and was one of the people who got to ask a question from the audience (also sweet). Here, there were presigned DT VII books after the show that we had to stand in line for and pay cover price. One book per person, and as I went with my oldest son, we each scored a book.

The third event was the Harry Carrie & Garp reading at Radio City Music Hall (I went with Karen <Nerak> and Kenny <Dolan>) and we sat right behind Bev! I remember tapping Bev on the shoulder and asking him if he was indeed Bev and Bev, you looked at me like "how the hell does this guy know who I am?" There were no signed books at this reading (although if you bought a very upscale ticket package, you got to choose from a signed Harry Potter VI or a Tom Gordon (I think)).

I will just have to keep an eye on the site to see if they add a restriction for this upcoming signing. :unsure:

Darkthoughts
01-17-2008, 04:19 AM
Man, thats amazing! I'd have loved to have gone to the Harry, Carrie and Garp! I've read the transcripts a million times!!

Rahfa
01-17-2008, 05:53 AM
And there were both events at the Pleasantville movie theater (the name of which escapes me), where there were pre-signed books available for purchase, or included in the ticket price.

But, there was also that DT VII signing a couple years ago (in NYC, right?), where you could bring books to get him and Whelan to sign, and it was not just DT VII.

Because of the small size of that theater, I really bet you will be able to bring a book. He signed some absurd number at the Harvard thing, and judging by the seating chart, this one is much smaller.

By the time of the event they'll have confirmed it all.

Matt
01-17-2008, 06:22 AM
I love the idea of a small event. This is the first thing like this I have ever been too so its going to be overwhelming enough as it is. :lol:

And that'll be after a full day of museums and monuments. :rock:

Bev Vincent
01-17-2008, 06:24 AM
I remember tapping Bev on the shoulder and asking him if he was indeed Bev and Bev, you looked at me like "how the hell does this guy know who I am?"

My wife and daughter were even more astonished! How the hell did someone recognize Bev at Radio City Music Hall thousands of miles from home!

Nerak
01-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Bev is FAMOUS!!!

Ok, who wants to take me with them?!?!?!?

David???

I WANNA GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

WAHHHHHHH

Matt
01-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Awww...I wish you could go too Karen :(

Bev, are you actually going?

Bev Vincent
01-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Possibly.

Matt
01-17-2008, 07:59 AM
That would be great, I'm trying to set up coffee after if you are interested.

Bev Vincent
01-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks -- I'll stay in touch about this as my plans evolve.

CRinVA
01-17-2008, 08:12 AM

Count me in!

Randall Flagg
01-17-2008, 09:49 AM
I have to say that I am green with envy.
I should have found an excuse to go.
Of course if I went, there would be no coffee after the event, there would be pints of ale!

Matt
01-17-2008, 09:55 AM
:lol: -That works for me as well.

I really wish you could be there too Jerome, it would have been cool as hell to meet up.

We're still doing Vegas too though :rock:

CRinVA
01-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Vegas!!!

Always wanted to go to Vegas. I think the SKEMERS are going to Vegas for this year's annual Conference - around Halloween time I think!

Don't see it in the cards for me though - as I will have three in college starting in August!

Matt
01-17-2008, 10:02 AM
We were going to have a little get together out there--its mostly in the talking about stage right now.

I get the feeling me and Jerome will be there regardless though. :lol:

wizardsrainbow
01-17-2008, 10:31 AM

Count me in!

Count me in too!

Matt
01-17-2008, 10:47 AM
WooHoo!!

This is going to be great. Its going to be so much more than just the reading (and signing).

Really looking forward to it--can't wait to meet everyone.

I'm going to research some shirts for us to wear (for whoever wants to of course). I'm thinking just the logo and the web addy on the back--or do you guys think it would be better on the breast?

Randall Flagg
01-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Pole shirt with emblem on the breast.

Matt
01-17-2008, 10:49 AM
That is a little more professional huh? Makes it look less like a baseball team or something. :lol:

oy-the-brave
01-17-2008, 05:27 PM

Count me in!

Count me in too!

Me too!

Ari_Racing
01-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Boys, as we say here (and Wireman would say it this way (Wireman from Duma Key), "brindo desde aquí con todos" (I'll taste from here with you all).

Patrick
01-18-2008, 01:17 AM
You guys are going to have a blast. Wish I could make the coast-to-coast roundtrip to join you. :(

At least I got to go see Stephen King once, way back when, with Jerome. The books were presigned Lisey's Story, but we managed to get two each. Each of our extra copies are in the possession of other TDT collectors. :thumbsup:

Spencer
01-18-2008, 05:54 AM

Not for me. that'd be my 1st Edition of The Drawing of the Three, my favorite book ever, which I had Phil Hale sign at Palavercon. It MIGHT be a tough choice if I didn't own the S/L of DTVII and already have my favorite author/artist combo of King and Whelan on the same page.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-18-2008, 06:17 AM
A trick I last used was to put a small magazine inside the book you want him to sign. He is nice enough to sign them both.

I put a Startling Mystery Stories (Glass Floor) magazine inside Lisey's Story and he signed them both and we also had a good conversation about the 'early story'.

I noticed today that someone is selling a signed Startling Mystery Stories (Glass Floor) magazine on ebay. They want $2000 for it!!!!

Matt
01-18-2008, 06:26 AM
I'm going to take just one of my books--not sure which yet. We're going to find another one of Tabitha King's books to take so she can sign that one for us.

Then I'll buy her new one and Duma Key there of course. I figure SK can sign my Duma Key for Dora and my other book for me. <hopes>

Room 217 Caretaker
01-18-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm going to take just one of my books--not sure which yet. We're going to find another one of Tabitha King's books to take so she can sign that one for us.

Then I'll buy her new one and Duma Key there of course. I figure SK can sign my Duma Key for Dora and my other book for me. <hopes>

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:evil: If I wasn't team leader I would be right there with you guys.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Matt
01-18-2008, 08:43 AM
It would be great to meet you man. Team leaders can't go? :lol:

Patrick
01-18-2008, 06:02 PM
I would take my 1st/1st Gunslinger, no doubt.

Sigh.

ATG
01-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Don't show up with 15 books you want signed.
Don't stare at him from the line.
Best of all, show up with a stack of books, and ask to shake his hand instead.

tippy4
01-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Tough call on what to bring to be signed.

It would definitely be a GRANT Dark Tower book....but which one?

DT2 and DT3 were my favorites in the series......on the other hand, how cool would it be to have a double signed artist edition of DT5 or DT6 or DT7?

I had a chance to buy a signed DT2 about six months ago and at the last second changed my mind (shortly after Wiz bought it). It was at a great price, and I am kicking myself now!

I am VERY envious of you guys that are going to The Three Kings event. Like Patrick, I got to see King in 2006 on the Lisey's Story tour, but the books had been pre-signed so I never got the chance to get another book signed.

Patrick
01-18-2008, 06:27 PM
... Best of all, show up with a stack of books, and ask to shake his hand instead.
Better yet, have him sign your arm instead.

Then go the nearest tattoo parlor and make that signature permanent.
Bonus points if you get him to write an inscription.

Matt
01-18-2008, 06:50 PM
I'm just going to try not to trip.

On the second book to sign (besides Duma Key), I am torn between my AE of DTVIII and my UK first of The Stand. :panic:

jhanic
01-18-2008, 07:01 PM
... Best of all, show up with a stack of books, and ask to shake his hand instead.
Better yet, have him sign your arm instead.

Then go the nearest tattoo parlor and make that signature permanent.
Bonus points if you get him to write an inscription.

But how do you sell THAT on eBay?? :excited:

John

Rahfa
01-18-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm just going to try not to trip.

On the second book to sign (besides Duma Key), I am torn between my AE of DTVIII and my UK first of The Stand. :panic:

Why Duma Key at all? Yes, it will be sort of uncommon signed, but it will be much more exciting to have an older book signed. You should buy an older first edition like the US Stand or the Shining.

Randall Flagg
01-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Don't have anything signed at all. Forget your book(s).
That way my insane jealousy will feel better.

ATG
01-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Don't have anything signed at all. Forget your book(s).
That way my insane jealousy will feel better.

I would love to see him in person.
His head looks like his brain is so large it is about to burst.

oy-the-brave
01-18-2008, 09:18 PM
I am going to take my Gunslinger 1st that I took to Palavercon and had Michael Whelan sign :excited:

ATG
01-18-2008, 09:23 PM
I am going to take my Gunslinger 1st that I took to Palavercon and had Michael Whelan sign :excited:

http://i29.tinypic.com/w7kieg.jpg

super sam
01-19-2008, 12:45 AM
Me and my sister went to the Liseys book signing at Borders in London.
She is not a kingfan, so i could take "two" books with me to get signed.
I brought the Swedish ed. of Gunslinger and my 1st/1st gunslinger.
But we did not get them signed, we just got signed bookplates instead.( and Liseys of course)
I´m sure that he would have signed my gunslinger book if i had asked him,
but the "cat had got my tounge" so i was speechless and just put my books on the table in front of him.
That is my biggest regret.

wizardsrainbow
01-19-2008, 03:10 AM

Dave? Dave? Does that mean you're coming to DC? Woo-hoo, we get to meet again! I so enjoyed our talk at Palavercon.

wizardsrainbow
01-19-2008, 03:13 AM
Here's one for you....How about instead of bringing my oldest son, I ask Michael Whelan to come with me. Not that he would have an interest, mind you, but wouldn't that blow people away.

herbertwest
01-19-2008, 04:05 AM
lol!
And Steve also would be surprised!

Nerak
01-19-2008, 07:06 AM
Wiz....I am REALLY beginning to not like you anymore! What about taking ME?!?!?!?!??!?!?! (and Michael) :)

Matt
01-19-2008, 07:30 AM
:o

Michael Whelan...<swoon>

I was thinking Duma Key because isn't it a good idea to buy one of the books they are selling at the signing to have signed?

Or is that not necessary.

US First Edition of The Stand would go for sure if I had one.

Cloysterpete
01-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Me and my sister went to the Liseys book signing at Borders in London.
She is not a kingfan, so i could take "two" books with me to get signed.
I brought the Swedish ed. of Gunslinger and my 1st/1st gunslinger.
But we did not get them signed, we just got signed bookplates instead.( and Liseys of course)
I´m sure that he would have signed my gunslinger book if i had asked him,
but the "cat had got my tounge" so i was speechless and just put my books on the table in front of him.
That is my biggest regret.

That daft woman told me they had none of those bookplates left, even though I was like no3 in line.

Still it didn't matter as I got all of the books I took with me signed, at Borders King signed both my Dead Zone Eastern Press (already signed by artist and introduction writer) and my US Lisey's, my brother also had a Lisey's UK signed which was for me as he is hardly a King fan so was only there to keep me company and take photos lol.

King looked at my Easton Press book quizically so I told him why I needed him to sign it lol and he just goes Aah I see signed my two books and shook my hand. My brother was behind me and I later asked him if he said anything to King, no he replies I was too tongue-tied lol

I ended up with 3 or 4 signed Lisey's UK that day as I also went to the reading on the evening, managed to get US Cell signed there too :). I'm no big fan of Lisey's so i've since managed to trade my UK Lisey's for signed King books that are personal favourites.

My only slight regret is that I did not have the funds to buy a truly special book to take such as a Gunslinger first or even Carrie 1st.

Cloysterpete
01-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Here's a few photos of the signing. :rock:

From left - my brother, me, Jana (czech girl from sk.com board who I arranged to meet in London) and Super Sam!.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/PICT0900.jpg

Hey you guys! those are my books lol
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/dsc01540vc6.jpg

The Polish guy on the right has claimed some victims
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/dsc01529ls0-1.jpg

Tired?
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/dsc01525kp0.jpg

My Easton Press 2nd Edition Signed Up
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/dsc00976uh1.jpg

Cloysterpete
01-19-2008, 01:36 PM
King signs my books
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/dsc00971eq7-1.jpg

Queue is starting to grow
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/DSC00959.jpg

Okay so everyone took a lot of random daft photos OK!
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/DSC00955.jpg

As you can see we turned it into a cardboard city as cold November concrete isn't too comfy
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/DSC00949.jpg

Cloysterpete
01-19-2008, 01:43 PM
One of the shots taken for the London paper of those at the very front of the queue, basically the Night Shift folks lol
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/187-1.jpg

I had no sleep for like 3 days (literally) so I was trying to catch a few zzzzz here and there
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/0b0725346a3dc624-1.jpg

Finally a couple more of the main man.....

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/0fae6413258b3dcf.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/dsc00212dn1.jpg

Cool wheels!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/cloysterpeteuk/dsc00213fo5.jpg

Now roll on Kings next visit circa 2012 lol

super sam
01-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Hi there Cloysterpete.
yeah, it was a looong night waiting outside.

It was a little frustrating after the signing to see that you and jana both got your books signed,when i did not got any signature in my book. :cry:

But it was an adventure to be on a booksigning and reading, i would really do it again, but i am sure that King don´t come to Europe again for any more booksigning
:(

Patrick
01-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Looks like a great time, Cloysterpete and Super Sam.

Why didn't SK sign your book, Super Sam? Weren't you all in line together?

Matt
01-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Wow, great shots. Looks like you guys had a hell of a time.

I hope they let us take pictures in there. :rock:

oy-the-brave
01-19-2008, 08:45 PM

Dave? Dave? Does that mean you're coming to DC? Woo-hoo, we get to meet again! I so enjoyed our talk at Palavercon.

Yep I will be there. I decided to buy a ticket to the reading, just in case, but found a flight for 250.00 so I decided on a whim to go (much like I did for Palavercon and that was an incredible experience).

I am looking forward to seeing you again and meeting some new people.

super sam
01-20-2008, 05:24 AM
Looks like a great time, Cloysterpete and Super Sam.

Why didn't SK sign your book, Super Sam? Weren't you all in line together?

When i put my two books on Kings table the assistant beside told me that he just sign Liseys.
If i had been better in speaking English and not so nervous, i had talked to him as Cloysterpete did, then i am sure he would had sign it for me.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-20-2008, 06:51 AM
When i put my two books on Kings table the assistant beside told me that he just sign Liseys.

She said that to me at 4 different signings. I ignored her four times. :evil:

shnnrc01
01-20-2008, 08:21 AM
ha same as myself.i put my 1st Carrie on the table and she said Liseys only.Steve looked at her and back at me and i said "come on Steve-you gotta sign my Carrie".he smiled and shook his head and signed it.she wasnt too impressed though.

Matt
01-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Wow! You have to be a bit bold huh? Not sure I can do that :orely:

I had a dream he invited everyone in the dt.com shirts to stay after for a one one one q&a :lol:

Randall Flagg
01-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Whatever you do, don't tell him you are his "#1 fan".

Matt
01-20-2008, 08:50 AM
God no!! :lol:

My whole thing is going to be about quiet professionalism

alinda
01-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Steve and I are on very good terms in my dreams :doh: (lol)

Wow! You have to be a bit bold huh? Not sure I can do that :orely:

I had a dream he invited everyone in the dt.com shirts to stay after for a one one one q&a :lol:

Patrick
01-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Nice dream, Matt. :lol:

Nerak
01-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Dave, you going to be taking the train, flying or driving in?

wizardsrainbow
01-22-2008, 05:03 AM

Karen-

Definitely not flying. I priced out the train and it would be $250+ round trip for me and my son, plus there is no train back to NYC past 10:30pm that night so I would have to find a hotel or park bench (extra $$). So, that leaves driving on a Friday (hellacious traffic) and then driving back after the show. I know I am crazy to think about a potential 12 hour DT drive for a 2-3 hour event! So...leaning toward the drive at this point.

Nerak
01-22-2008, 07:20 AM

Karen-

Definitely not flying. I priced out the train and it would be $250+ round trip for me and my son, plus there is no train back to NYC past 10:30pm that night so I would have to find a hotel or park bench (extra $$). So, that leaves driving on a Friday (hellacious traffic) and then driving back after the show. I know I am crazy to think about a potential 12 hour DT drive for a 2-3 hour event! So...leaning toward the drive at this point.

WOW!!!! Good luck on that one! I would be sleepin! Being in the car for that long puts me out! Hope you don't fall asleep!

Matt
01-22-2008, 07:23 AM
We have about a 5 hour drive from North Carolina but otherwise its all flying. :rock:

We're going to do a whole day just getting to DC from there, promised I would take Dora out to the coast.

Spencer
01-22-2008, 07:48 AM

Both of you guys are simply awesome. I enjoyed Palavercon immensely, and am looking forward to seeing you again. :D

Spencer
01-22-2008, 07:51 AM
I know I am crazy to think about a potential 12 hour DT drive for a 2-3 hour event!

Hey, I'm in pro wrestling, that's a normal weekend. :lol:

Matt
01-22-2008, 12:45 PM
So its out today...Duma Key I mean.

I really want to buy it and read it but I'm not sure if they will be for sale at the signing.

so seriously...what do you guys think I should do?

buy it, read it, take it to sign
buy it there to sign

Randall Flagg
01-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Buy a copy, read it. Take a brand new unread 1st Edition 1st printing copy with you. This in in the rare, but possible chance the books for sale are not 1st printings (this happened to Patrick and I at a Joe Hill signing) You can politely buy the later printing, and tell them you brought a 1st to be signed.
This all of course is contingent upon King actually signing books put in front of him, and not pre-signing, where you don't get to meet face to face.

Matt
01-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I think that's a good plan Jerome, I guess I'll do it that way.

I just hate to end up with 3 copies of Duma Key but that may be the only way to go. :lol:

Room 217 Caretaker
01-22-2008, 03:43 PM
I think that's a good plan Jerome, I guess I'll do it that way.

I just hate to end up with 3 copies of Duma Key but that may be the only way to go. :lol:

Only 3 :doh:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :unsure: :unsure: :cry: :cry:

Patrick
01-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Buy a copy, read it. Take a brand new unread 1st Edition 1st printing copy with you. This in in the rare, but possible chance the books for sale are not 1st printings (this happened to Patrick and I at a Joe Hill signing) You can politely buy the later printing, and tell them you brought a 1st to be signed.

This all of course is contingent upon King actually signing books put in front of him, and not pre-signing, where you don't get to meet face to face.
Exactly. Although Joe was gracious enough to go ahead and sign the 1st/4th that I had to buy. The sweet thing is that Joe inscribed it to a Dark Tower character for me. :dance: That ought to be a rarity.

Anyway, back on topic:

Matt, I strongly recommend that you do what Jerome suggests - buy two 1st printings, one for reading, take the other with you for signing.

If they make you buy one there that turns out to be a later printing or is scuffed up in comparison to your pristine copy, just take the purchased one home unsigned if you must and do a giveaway with it here later.

Believe me, when it's over if you end up with an extra King book, you are not going to care in the big scheme of this event.

If there's any way to get everything signed, of course, then do it! :lol:

Patrick
01-22-2008, 08:58 PM
One of these days, when the moon is full and I change my car's name to Christine, King MIGHT come somewhere near here. :lol: ...

So, Spencer, have your renamed your car yet?

Matt
01-23-2008, 08:16 AM
If there is a way to get my forehead signed I'm going to do it. :lol:

Okay, its off to WalMart for me over lunch. :rock:

Thanks for the advice you guys.

herbertwest
01-24-2008, 03:44 AM
Forehead signed...
cut off ==> $$$$ on ebay $$$$

:p

Spencer
01-24-2008, 08:29 AM
:O

OK, my car actually is getting new wires put on it today, and with those wires come superpowers I'm guessing, so her name is Christine now. :lol:

herbertwest
01-27-2008, 04:47 AM
SO, anyone going to an upcoming appearance of the King?
ANYONE which should be able to get more books signed that he would need? (for instance if going with your family..)

if someone could help a poor french guy, which would never be able to get a personalised book.... snirf :'(

Matt
01-27-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm just going with my wife and I have Duma Key plus another book I want to do. :(

herbertwest
01-28-2008, 04:24 AM
Oki dook.

it's basically if anyone will have extra books and wouldnt mind to get a personnalised copy...
YOU first (i mean..the one which is attending first of course..)

LadyHitchhiker
01-29-2008, 12:46 AM
SK really likes well-loved battered books. Thus says Linda, and I believe her...

idlewarnings
01-30-2008, 11:07 AM
I posted this in the news section but I thought I'd post here as well in case you're like me and rarely venture away from Calvin's Corner or the Bookworm game :)

I'm throwing my name out there in case anyone ends up with an extra ticket or 2 to Three Kings. I kicking myself for missing out on this. I live in Mpls but my best friend lives in D.C. I'm back and forth to D.C. all the time. My friend has said she doesn't want to go (she doesn't want to meet SK--he scares her) but will if I insist. One ticket will be more than enough. PM/email me if you have one to sell. Thanks all.

Patrick
01-31-2008, 08:43 PM
Good luck, Idle! And good to see you again. :)

Randall Flagg
02-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Bring two pens, that you know are "free flowing". Blue ink is best, but don't bring your Mont Blanc, as if King starts signing with it, you may not get it back.

Matt
02-20-2008, 06:04 AM
:o

I didn't realize he would sign with my pen. :lol:

Randall Flagg
02-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Actually he probaby won't, but always be prepared.

wizardsrainbow
03-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Well, it is now only about 3 weeks away until the Three Kings event in Washington DC and I can tell you my excitement level is steadily rising! :excited:

I still have not figured out what books I am going to get signed (I have 2 tickets). If I had to choose right here and now I think I would pick:

UK ARC Song of Susannah (to match my signed UK ARC DT VII)
Plume Gunslinger (Alternate cover; pseudo ARC) or UK 1st edition Song of Susannah (I have the UK Wolves and Dark Tower signed but not SoS).

But...I have 3 weeks to change my mind which undoubtedly I will do.

Matt
03-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm totally with you man--I can't wait to get out there and see the King family (plus all the rest of you) :rock:

I still haven't decided on what to take either :panic:

Room 217 Caretaker
03-11-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm totally with you man--I can't wait to get out there and see the King family (plus all the rest of you) :rock:

I still haven't decided on what to take either :panic:

Matt..Matt..Matt

Remember, you don't have to decide what to take. I think you and I agreed your taking my 1st edition Gunslinger :nana:

Oh, wait. Maybe I was dreaming. That's about the same time Nicole Kidman walked in and started throwing little sausages at me :ninja:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Matt
03-11-2008, 11:13 AM

You would be surprised by how many of those requests I actually have Mulleins.

CRinVA
03-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Well I think I am taking my First Edition Carrie and maybe Midlife COnfidential. I already have 4 sigs in ML COnf. and could get King and Tabatha - she was the photographer for the book! I have Goldmark, Pearson, Tan and Barry already signed in it!

namelessnpoor
03-11-2008, 12:51 PM
If anyone happens to end up with an extra ticket, i have money just waiting !!
In case someones friend bails out or gets sick or you decide my money is better than your friend !!!
I would really appreciate it !!!
Oh yeah, i don't even have tickets yet and i have changed what i "would" take about 5 times already !

namelessnpoor
03-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Well i managed to get tickets tonight, 2 of them, so i will see some of you there !! I had evryone looking for them and somehow my mother came through with 2 ! So now the big decision, what 2 king books do i bring ??
I think i am going to bring my Gunslinger first, and then its a toss up !!
Carrie, Salem's Lot, Night Shift ????? I have no idea

namelessnpoor
03-11-2008, 04:40 PM
I want to pick up a couple books by Tabitha and Owen. What books would be the best ones to get for them to sign? Tabitha has a few to choose from, owen only seems to have one.
Any suggestions wouldbe greatly appreciated
thanks
Rusty

idlewarnings
03-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Congrats, namelessnpoor. I know the relief of scoring late tickets to this thing. Should be a great time.

I think I'm taking Duma Key (because it's the book that coincides with the reading) and my first edition of The Stand (my favorite book). I have a mint 1st of The Gunslinger (my other favorite book) but I'm really leaning toward taking Duma in its place.

wizardsrainbow
03-12-2008, 02:38 AM
I want to pick up a couple books by Tabitha and Owen. What books would be the best ones to get for them to sign? Tabitha has a few to choose from, owen only seems to have one.
thanks
Rusty

Rusty-
For Tabitha, I would suggest her first book, Small World, published I think in 1983.

carlosdetweiller
03-12-2008, 03:54 AM
thanks
Rusty

Rusty-
For Tabitha, I would suggest her first book, Small World, published I think in 1983.

Dave,
Did you read SMALL WORLD? If so, did you like it? I could never get past page 50 or so. I've tried a couple of times.

carlosdetweiller
03-12-2008, 04:27 AM
thanks
Rusty

For Tabitha, as a gag, you might plop down a copy of DOLORES CLAIBORNE or GERALD'S GAME in front of her to see the reaction. There is a long standing rumor that she wrote (or co-wrote) both of those.

carlosdetweiller
03-12-2008, 04:29 AM
Here is a thought:

I wonder if you took a nice first edition of THE SHINING if you could get both King and Joe Hill to sign it? The book is dedicated to Joe Hill King and that might be a nice touch.

Similarly, THE STAND is dedicated to Tabitha and getting both of them to sign it might be pretty cool.

Just a thought.

wizardsrainbow
03-12-2008, 04:56 AM
thanks
Rusty

Rusty-

Dave,
Did you read SMALL WORLD? If so, did you like it? I could never get past page 50 or so. I've tried a couple of times.

Bob-
No I have not. I only just acquired a signed 1st, unsigned 1st and ARC of the book as I wanted all 3 versions of her 1st book to go with my Carrie collection. I have done the same for Owen and Joe.

Randall Flagg
03-12-2008, 05:49 AM
Here is a thought:

I wonder if you took a nice first edition of THE SHINING if you could get both King and Joe Hill to sign it? The book is dedicated to Joe Hill King and that might be a nice touch.

Similarly, THE STAND is dedicated to Tabitha and getting both of them to sign it might be pretty cool.

Just a thought.
Joe isn't scheduled to be at the signing, although you could send the book to him.
I do know when Patrick and I saw him, he declined to sign a book about the late Joe Hill-said it was bad mojo.

carlosdetweiller
03-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Joe isn't scheduled to be at the signing, although you could send the book to him.
I do know when Patrick and I saw him, he declined to sign a book about the late Joe Hill-said it was bad mojo.

My mistake. So the third "King" is Owen?

I haven't seen any discussion as to the venue of the signing. It is a church, isn't it? Any chance it is the one Naomi is involved with? Otherwise, I wonder why a church?

Randall Flagg
03-12-2008, 06:42 AM
I wondered the same think about King's daughter. My understanding is she is a Lutheran minister, and the venue is The Lutheran Church of the Reformation. A quick browsing of their website does not show Naomi listed as a minister there.

idlewarnings
03-12-2008, 07:05 AM
The reading is part of the PEN/Faulkner reading series, which is traditionally held at the Folger Shakespeare Library. The church is right across the street. I'm guessing they went w/ the church to accomodate a larger crowd. The reception is at the library.

Randall Flagg
03-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the clarification.

goheat
03-12-2008, 11:34 AM
I wondered the same think about King's daughter. My understanding is she is a Lutheran minister, and the venue is The Lutheran Church of the Reformation. A quick browsing of their website does not show Naomi listed as a minister there.

She is actually a Reverend at a Unitarian Universalist Congregation in my birthplace of Ft. Lauderdale, FL (well, Plantation, FL, a suburb):

http://www.riverofgrass.org/minister.htm

carlosdetweiller
03-12-2008, 12:40 PM

She is actually a Reverend at a Unitarian Universalist Congregation in my birthplace of Ft. Lauderdale, FL (well, Plantation, FL, a suburb):

http://www.riverofgrass.org/minister.htm

Thanks for the info and the link. I clicked on the link "Unitarian Universalism" and got to a page titled "About Unitarian Universalism". What a strange church this is. Sort of a "roll your own" set of beliefs. VERY strange, IMO.

namelessnpoor
03-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks to those of you who responded to my request about Tabitha and Owens books. I think i will try and get Small World and Caretakers by Tabitha, and it seems that Owen ony has one book available, so maybe i will just get 2 copies of that signed.
Thanks again

wizardsrainbow
03-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Has someone compiled a list of who is attending from this site?

Second, are we going to try to meet up before the event somewhere?

I plan to drive from CT. MapQuest says it will take 5 hours, but it is on a FRiday, so I can probably add to the 5 hrs. I am picking my son up from school at 12, so with any luck we can be there by 6:30 for an 8pm event. There are no assigned seats. One can argue that if you sit towards the back, you can be one of the first in line for the book signing following the event (across the street, and they won't let you in until the readings have concluded). Thoughts anyone?

Matt
03-24-2008, 12:07 PM
There is a list going on the SKMB for all of them Wiz but I am not sure if we have here.

We'll start an official thread for it now that its so close.

Dora and I will be touring the monuments all day and plan to be at the ticket office around 5PM. Your idea of sitting in the back is very appealing to me so we may do that to make sure we get out quick. Would love to meet up before if possible.

After, I am trying to do a thing with everyone at the Le Bon Cafe. Its about a city block down from the Fogler--for coffee and what not.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Le_Bon_Cafe.JPG

the green arrow is the ticket booth

wizardsrainbow
03-24-2008, 12:11 PM
There is a list going on the SKMB for all of them Wiz but I am not sure if we have here.

We'll start an official thread for it now that its so close.

Dora and I will be touring the monuments all day and plan to be at the ticket office around 5PM. Your idea of sitting in the back is very appealing to me so we may do that to make sure we get out quick. Would love to meet up before if possible.

After, I am trying to do a thing with everyone at the Le Bon Cafe. Its about a city block down from the Fogler--for coffee and what not.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Le_Bon_Cafe.JPG

the green arrow is the ticket booth

Cool Matt, but I think it is going to be VERY late when the event ends. I do not know how long the reading is scheduled to last but if it goes to 9:30, the signing will take another 2 hours I would think. And <shudder>, I wonder if King will stay the entire stretch if it starts getting late.

Rahfa
03-24-2008, 04:05 PM
edit

Randall Flagg
03-24-2008, 05:31 PM
That is why I couched the comment in advance and then added a spolier tag.
If you really feel it is still inappropriate, PM me and I will remove it.

oy-the-brave
03-24-2008, 07:04 PM
I have the event ticket and the plane ticket but I am waiting until thursday to see if my doctor says it's OK to go. I spent 8 days in the hospital for an infection and still have a 4" wide X 4" deep wound in my chest :arg: (I have not had the best of luck lately, last stay in the hospital cost me my house in CA, this time I had just changed jobs so the new health insurance has not started :pullhair: )

Nerak
03-24-2008, 11:33 PM
hope you are goingto b ok...hugs

wizardsrainbow
03-25-2008, 02:17 AM
I have the event ticket and the plane ticket but I am waiting until thursday to see if my doctor says it's OK to go. I spent 8 days in the hospital for an infection and still have a 4" wide X 4" deep wound in my chest :arg: (I have not had the best of luck lately, last stay in the hospital cost me my house in CA, this time I had just changed jobs so the new health insurance has not started :pullhair: )

<Wiz crosses fingers and hopes to meet up with his friend Dave in DC this time>

Good luck Dave. Hope the news gets better!

Patrick
03-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Dave, I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope you can make it out to the Three Kings. Wish I could join you all.

Matt
03-25-2008, 11:09 AM
I really hope you are okay too Dave, would love to get a chance to meet you.

As for me, I have decided!

I am taking a copy of Blaze and my DTVII AE

wizardsrainbow
03-25-2008, 11:36 AM
I really hope you are okay too Dave, would love to get a chance to meet you.

As for me, I have decided!

I am taking a copy of Blaze and my DTVII AE

Matt-
Nice choices my friend.

Matt
03-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Thank you sir!

I'm really relieved to have finally made the decision. :rock:

Can't wait to meet up.

namelessnpoor
03-25-2008, 12:08 PM
wish i could say i was relieved to have made the decision on what to bring !! I can't decide, i have told my self i have decided numerous times, onlyto rethink it and change things up. Thinking of my gunslinger and duma, but blaze is also a close third !!! not to mention carrie, salem's, shift etc...
wishi could justhave King over to my house to sign a bunch (all) of my 1st editions !!

wizardsrainbow
03-25-2008, 12:11 PM
wish i could say i was relieved to have made the decision on what to bring !! I can't decide, i have told my self i have decided numerous times, onlyto rethink it and change things up. Thinking of my gunslinger and duma, but blaze is also a close third !!! not to mention carrie, salem's, shift etc...
wishi could justhave King over to my house to sign a bunch (all) of my 1st editions !!

Invite him over when you see him, see what he says!

Matt
03-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Ms. Mod on the SKMB is saying that Bachman books might be hard to get a sig on (since he is dead). I am taking a back up. :lol:

namelessnpoor
03-25-2008, 12:14 PM

Invite him over when you see him, see what he says!

LOL :idea: Guess it wouldn't hurt, worst that could happen, is he says no, best is he says yes and then all members from here that are there are also invited to my house. I think i will ask after he signs my books, just in case i get tossed by security for stalking or something !!

CRinVA
03-26-2008, 09:02 AM
I think I may have already said but i am bringing a 1st Edition Carrie and mid Life Confidential to be signed - I am going to ask Tabatha to sing Mid-Life as well as she was teh photographer for the book! I already have Amy tan, Dave barry, Ridley Pearson and kathi Kamen Goldmark sigs in the book!

wizardsrainbow
03-27-2008, 02:32 AM
And I am still trying to decide what to bring.

carlosdetweiller
03-27-2008, 04:33 AM
And I am still trying to decide what to bring.

It's a tough choice when you are limited to just a couple of items.

I read in one of the above posts where someone is considering getting him to sign a copy of DUMA KEY. If it were me I wouldn't do that. I have only been to one signing in 1998 at Betts Bookstore. BAG OF BONES had just been released. My wife was with me so I had four books to choose from. I chose my copy of COMICS REVIEW #4 with chapters from "I Was a Teenage Grave Robber," a first edition of THE GUNSLINGER and a first edition of THE STAND.

For my last choice I got King to inscribe a copy of BAG OF BONES to my wife and me. Years later I am wondering "Why the heck did I do that?" It's a nice book, I guess, but signed copies of that book are very common. I am a little upset that I essentially wasted a pick.

I would recommend something early like a copy of STARTLING MYSTERY STORIES, MOTH, ONAN, etc. Or one of the early Doubledays like NIGHT SHIFT. I sure wouldn't waste the rare opportunity for a signature on DUMA KEY.

Matt
03-27-2008, 05:22 AM
I had mentioned Duma Key at first because I had this idea in my head that since it was his newest book, that should be the one. :lol:

But since I have realized that this is not a promotional signing, its a reading with signing. So that's why I decided on the AE

CRinVA
03-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Bob That is exactly why I am having my 1st Ed of Carrie signed. I can always buy a Duma Key signed later if I really want one! I am getting Mid Life COnfidential (not all that rare) signed only becasue I am having Tabatha and Stephen sign it and I thought that would be cool! King wrote one chapter of the book and Tabby took all thepictures of their original RBR tour!

Nerak
03-27-2008, 08:24 AM
ooo, cool book to have signed!!

idlewarnings
03-27-2008, 09:51 AM
I was thinking about getting Duma Key signed but now Bob has me second guessing myself. I'm definitely getting my 1st The Stand signed. I guess I could take my Gunslinger, but the thought of taking it off the shelf and hauling it 1/2 way across the country is making my stomach hurt. It's my first and probably most prized collectible.

carlosdetweiller
03-27-2008, 10:05 AM
I guess I could take my Gunslinger, but the thought of taking it off the shelf and hauling it 1/2 way across the country is making my stomach hurt. It's my first and probably most prized collectible.

Wrap it in bubblewrap and put it in your carry-on luggage (I am assuming you are flying). It will be fine. The fact that it is your first and most prized seems all the more reason to get King to sign it, IMO.

Rahfa
03-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Take it out of the dustjacket and just bring the book...Nothing will happen to it, and so what if it does? Once it's signed, you're never going to sell it, so who cares anyway?

These books can take some punishment. Just be sure not to spill anything on it, and you'll fine.

shnnrc01
03-27-2008, 11:18 AM
i agree.if its your most prized book having it signed would make it all the more treasured.take the gunslinger idle.

Patrick
03-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Yeah, take your 1st/1st of THE GUNSLINGER, Idle. If I could attend, I would take mine.

idlewarnings
03-27-2008, 05:16 PM
You guys are right. Better round up some bubble wrap for my baby.

oy-the-brave
03-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Yep my 1st Gunslinger signed by Michael Whelan at Palavercon is what I am taking, this book means a lot to me, it's the first collectible book I bought and it was also the copy I read. (doctor gave me the go ahead so I will be there:) )

Patrick
03-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Yep my 1st Gunslinger signed by Michael Whelan at Palavercon is what I am taking, this book means a lot to me, it's the first collectible book I bought and it was also the copy I read. (doctor gave me the go ahead so I will be there:) )That is so great, Dave! I'm happy for you. :nana:

wizardsrainbow
03-28-2008, 02:28 AM
Alright Dave! Glad you got the ok to go.

Matt
03-28-2008, 06:13 AM
Okay, I have a quick question.

Even though I am not concerned about the value of my DTVII AE (cause I'll never sell it)--what is the best page to have him sign on?

Does it matter--should it be the same page Whelan's sig is on?

Randall Flagg
03-28-2008, 06:17 AM
I always preferred the signature on the title page. The title page on the DTVII Ae has a somewhat dark background. Hopefully he signs in blue ink as it would show up better.

Rahfa
03-28-2008, 08:12 AM
If you want it signed on a specific page, flip the edge of the DJ to that page, so it opens right up to it.

Otherwise, the assistant who takes the book from you will open it to the page they think you want it signed on (which might be correct, but you never know).

Matt
03-28-2008, 08:14 AM
That's a good plan right there

Patrick
03-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Matt, in general I agree with Jerome about the title page. Since your book is already signed once (by Whelan) I think I'd prefer to have the second signature (King) on the same page. Then I could sit and stare at both at the same time and ruin only one page drooling instead of two.

Randall Flagg
03-28-2008, 12:37 PM
I tried to respond earlier and the site was down >1 hour.

Take a post It pad.
Turn the Pad upside down so that the sticky part is at the bottom.
Write what you would like inscribed in your book on the pad.
Remove the Post It and stick it in your book, on the page you wish to be inscribed. The Post It will stick out above the book, and will make it easy on the person inscribing.
Example:

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1985/p1010194rc3.jpg

Matt
03-28-2008, 12:42 PM
That's perfect Jerome, thank you.

oy-the-brave
03-29-2008, 01:01 PM
I sat down today to find a room for Friday night and got a great deal from Hotwire, the Capitol Hilton for 79.00 for the night. Expedia wanted 229.00 a night for the Hilton, and the cheepest Hotel was around 149.00. This was my first time trying Hotwire and boy am I happy I did.

I know Matt had an idea for a meeting place after the event, anyone have any plans for before?

namelessnpoor
03-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Ok, going to ask opinions here, i am still somewhat up in the air as to what books i am bringing to the reading on friday. After reading all the posts here, i too have shelved the idea of bringing Duma Key and resorted back to older more prized books. So i am bringing the 1st edition Gunslinger, as for the second book i can't decide, but have narrowed it down

If you had to choose would you bring Carrie or Salem's Lot??
They are both true 1st editions, both in very good shape in my opinion. So ant input would be appreciated, i am leaning more towards one already but not going to say, rather see what you all think.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-31-2008, 10:49 AM
No contest - Carrie

Rahfa
03-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Absolutely "Carrie." And I would seriously consider bringing "Salem's" instead of the Gunslinger...but I'm sure you've made up your mind on that!

namelessnpoor
03-31-2008, 04:49 PM
thanks for the opinions, thats what i was looking for, i was hoping for more than two people to chime in though, So come on guys and gals let me know what you think. I am sure no matter what i do bring i will be second guessing myself, later on but i still want some help !
Carrie, Salem's, Gunslinger ?????? which 2 should i bring !!

carlosdetweiller
03-31-2008, 05:18 PM
thanks for the opinions, thats what i was looking for, i was hoping for more than two people to chime in though, So come on guys and gals let me know what you think. I am sure no matter what i do bring i will be second guessing myself, later on but i still want some help !
Carrie, Salem's, Gunslinger ?????? which 2 should i bring !!

THE GUNSLINGER definitely since it means so much to you personally.

I would decide between the other two in much the same way. Which book (story) did you like the best, which means the most to you. It is a decision for YOU to make (and to have FUN doing so).

Randall Flagg
03-31-2008, 05:20 PM
The Gunslinger.
Period.
End of suggestion.

As a matter of fact, if King would sign two books, I might bring TWO Gunslinger's!

jhanic
03-31-2008, 06:15 PM
Gunslinger and Carrie.

John

CRinVA
03-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Well if I had a First Gunslinger that would be my #1 choice but since I have a third I am going elsewhere! :-)

Patrick
04-01-2008, 01:19 AM
The Gunslinger.
Period.
End of suggestion.

As a matter of fact, if King would sign two books, I might bring TWO Gunslinger's!
Yeah, yours and mine! :lol:

Rusty, for the second book I'd bring CARRIE, but I really do believe you should bring the book that means more to you personally since I'm assuming you're planning on keeping these two books.

By the way, I'd probably bring all three just on the off-chance I met someone there that I could pay to get my third book signed. You never know...

Hutch
04-01-2008, 06:11 AM
If you own it and can figure out a safe way to handle it for a signing .... take your Lettered or S/L Regulators. I think either will be the perfect book if measuring value added if you can get a " Stephen King " signature in one.

wizardsrainbow
04-01-2008, 06:38 AM
If you own it and can figure out a safe way to handle it for a signing .... take your Lettered or S/L Regulators. I think either will be the perfect book if measuring value added if you can get a " Stephen King " signature in one.

Interesting thought Dave. I not only own a regular S/L Regulators but own the prototype (1 of 1) of the S/L version which I purchased a couple years ago from Barry Levin (gunkslinger bought the Lettered prototype). Why do you think a King sig would add so much value to a Regulators? Would not the same hold true for a Blaze or any other Bachman book?

And I will put this out there for you all...do you think King would sign my F&Gs of Drawing of the Three and Wastelands? What do you think of that idea in general?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Why do you think a King sig would add so much value to a Regulators?
Would not the same hold true for a Blaze or any other Bachman book?

And I will put this out there for you all...do you think King would sign my F&Gs of Drawing of the Three and Wastelands? What do you think of that idea in general?

The only signed copy of Blaze I've seen for sale is up for £2000. So it does put up the value quite a bit.

I think he would sign the F&Gs, but they are rare already. The signature might not put much more monetory value on them.

shaq
04-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi,

Can i give my thoughts on the book to sign?

I suppose you have two options, a book that will give the maximum value if signed against a book that you love...

For me it was a book that i have enjoyed tremendously, Richard Bachman's The Long Walk, a dogeared version that I have read many times prior to signing and once since, I really enjoy the story. It is of special value as this was my first and only ever 'find' with respect to visiting a secondhand book store and buying a first edition Bachman for the princely price of 25 pence!! I clearly remember looking for a trash book to read, and coming across this amongst 100s of other slasher/horror books on the shelf, walking up to the till, paying for my book and walking out with a big smile on my face that i now owned a original bachman!

I am looking at it now and I must have had this book for about 20 years, so to get it signed, excellent. Mr King had a good look at the cover before he signed, and when I thanked him my voice was very croaky/nervous and he didn't look up from his signing. Calla Wolf saw the beam on my face, he knew that I was well happy.

I did take a Colorado Kid paperback with me too, but to be honest no competition as the Bachman had been with me for so long. In all honesty I did think about the rarity of the Bachman in comparison to say a hardback copy of It or The Stand which are probably my favourite stories, yet heavier books The Bachman slipped easily in my pocket and easily carried all day.

If it helps make a decision, to me this book is priceless, representing a book that has real personal value and brings genuine memories along with it for me.

now if you had a book that combined the two.....personal and monetary value, well even better

The day was amazing and hope you all enjoy as much as I did.

Hope I helped.

Dave

ps hope this doesn't sound as if i have anything against taking the rarer, more expensive books, i haven't at all, it's just I know my day was greatly enhanced knowing it was a book I value more than the value...if you know what I mean.

Matt
04-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Great stuff Dave, thanks for posting.

I am so happy, I found copies of Candles Burning at a book store here, after looking at three

Mr. Ink
04-01-2008, 03:58 PM
If one had a choice between a first edition "It" and a 2nd edition Gunslinger, which would you do?

jhanic
04-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Gunslinger.

John

Patrick
04-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Dave, thanks for posting. That's a great story!

Mr. Ink, I'd take the 2nd of The Gunslinger, but it's because that story means more to me than the other.

Matt
04-03-2008, 01:44 AM
Tomorrow is the big day--on to Balitmore!!

Bev Vincent
04-03-2008, 02:24 AM
I'm arriving in Baltimore tomorrow morning, too.

Nerak
04-03-2008, 02:35 AM
Joe Hill, granite St comic-com May 18th http://www.granitecon.com/

Patrick
04-03-2008, 02:45 AM
Karen, are you going? :excited:

Bring me back a signed copy of Locke & Key? :fairy:

wizardsrainbow
04-03-2008, 03:37 AM
Ok, coming down to the wire here. I have narrowed my choices of books to get signed, weighed value versus sentiment, versus DT completist streak in me.

On the table for consideration (I get two choices as my son is coming with me):

The Shining
New Lieutenant's Rap (numbered unsigned proof)
UK Wolves ARC
UK Song of Susannah ARC (these two ARCs coupled with my signed UK DT VII ARC would make a nice set)
UK 1st edition SoS (I have a signed UK Wolves and UK DT VII)
Gunslinger Plume variant cover

Nerak
04-03-2008, 05:16 AM
NLR and Gun variant, but that's just me! LOL

Nerak
04-03-2008, 05:18 AM
Karen, are you going? :excited:

Bring me back a signed copy of Locke & Key? :fairy:

Hell yeah I am going! LOL

You got it dude! First one to ask...guess I can do that for you! :huglove:

Mr. Ink
04-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Dave, thanks for posting. That's a great story!

Mr. Ink, I'd take the 2nd of The Gunslinger, but it's because that story means more to me than the other.

Thanks John and Patrick, I agree with that...can't wait for tomorrow!

wizardsrainbow
04-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Mr. Ink-

A formal wecome to the site. I still have the Whelan remarque I bought from you. It is one of my favorites. Hope that we can spot each other at the event to say hi. I will be with my 15-year-old son. Look for the kid with dark brown bangs down to his eyes, poor posture and texting madly away on his cell phone. If he is standing next to a 6' medium build dude with mostly grey (fairly short) hair, that would be me!