PDA

View Full Version : Book Signings and Appearances-Tips and experiences

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

killbourne
07-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Just throwing this out there. If anyone goes to this and would take one book of mine to get signed...then I would have no problem paying for both tickets($200)+ throw in a another $100 for whatever.

Patrick
07-12-2011, 09:24 PM
I feel a bit like a moron. I "donated" $200. Then I found out I needed to "donate" $35. I guess I did it Bass ackwards.
Jerome, did you email them and get it sorted out?

Just throwing this out there. If anyone goes to this and would take one book of mine to get signed...then I would have no problem paying for both tickets($200)+ throw in another $100 for whatever.
That is a hell of an offer. If you wait until it's sold out, I'm sure someone would be happy to have a ticket to enjoy the event and get a book signed, and take their significant other or a friend with the second ticket to get your book signed. The extra cash offer is probably unnecessary, but still very generous.

killbourne
07-12-2011, 09:27 PM
I feel a bit like a moron. I "donated" $200. Then I found out I needed to "donate" $35. I guess I did it Bass ackwards.
Jerome, did you email them and get it sorted out?

Just throwing this out there. If anyone goes to this and would take one book of mine to get signed...then I would have no problem paying for both tickets($200)+ throw in another $100 for whatever.
That is a hell of an offer. If you wait until it's sold out, I'm sure someone would be happy to have a ticket to enjoy the event and get a book signed, and take their significant other or a friend with the second ticket to get your book signed. The extra cash offer is probably unnecessary, but still very generous.
Well, its an offer for those trusted souls here at this forum. I feel like they would not only be trusted, but would take care of the book I sent them. Plus, Its fair...and also..hopefully, tempting enough.

killbourne
07-12-2011, 10:07 PM
SO, $300 dollars to anyone that takes my book and gets it signed by stephen king.

TwistedNadine
07-13-2011, 05:43 AM
For the overseas who feel like they are missing out:

http://www.booksigningcentral.com/2011/04/04/stephen-king-boo-signing-tour-on-the-horizon/

Garrell
07-13-2011, 05:46 AM
Just sent a third email, maybe they will respond this time:(

TwistedNadine
07-13-2011, 08:23 AM
I didn't understand it properly. My friend will only attend to the signing event, he doesn't care about the meet & greet. How does he have to proceed? How much do I have to pay?

Thanks in advance!

The general admission to the Mason Award event is free and tickets will be available Aug 15. The venue apparently sits 1500+ people. However, SK agreed to sign only 400 books. I think how it works is if you have the Meet and Greet ticket that gets into the Meet and Greet, the award event and a guaranteed signing. If you have a ticket to the Award event only I think its first come first served on the signing line.

Rahfa
07-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Is it clear that this is a 'take a book' signing? I couldn't find anything that specifically said that, but I didn't look that hard.

It doesn't seem like they're selling books, so it probably is - but it might be a stack of 'Full Dark' or something...might want to clarify that before laying down $200 or whatever.

johnsmith87
07-13-2011, 08:43 AM
The general admission to the Mason Award event is free and tickets will be available Aug 15. The venue apparently sits 1500+ people. However, SK agreed to sign only 400 books. I think how it works is if you have the Meet and Greet ticket that gets into the Meet and Greet, the award event and a guaranteed signing. If you have a ticket to the Award event only I think its first come first served on the signing line.

Are you sure they're doing it that way, because quite honestly that's a pain and not really fair. You'd have people lining up well before the actual awards ceremony, and that means people would have to choose between attending one or the other. Hopefully they make it so the first 400 to buy tickets also get to have a book signed, or even make additional tickets available for the signing. At least something that makes more sense and is fair.

TwistedNadine
07-13-2011, 08:46 AM
No Im not sure. Im passing on the info that was given to me from the people in charge of the festival and what has been posted on their site. But Im not involved with the organizing of the event in any way so cant tell you for sure how it will pan out

Garrell
07-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Woot, got my reservation after 3rd email:)

sgc1999
07-13-2011, 01:04 PM
RESERVATION FOR TWO. CHECK:dance:

TwistedNadine
07-13-2011, 06:04 PM
An e mail today from the event person regarding the general admission and book signing:

"General inquiries about the festival should go to Kara at festivalmanager@fallforthebook.org.

FAQs:

Is the award ceremony free?

Yes. However, we expect to fill the Concert Hall to its maximum capacity. Therefore, we do ask that you reserve a ticket to the event.

Can I get my book signed by Stephen King at his reading/award ceremony?

He will sign 400 books for 400 people. All VIP Reception ticket holders are guaranteed a spot in the book signing line. The other 300 spots will be available to the public in a manner TBA."

mcdonaldj
07-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Here is the email I got back explaining the process.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: 07/13/11 02:57 PM
To: J McDonald
Subject: Re: Mason Award VIP Tickets, Stephen King Reception Attendee_Donation Made

Hello Jason,
I had your initial request for 1 ticket. I have added an additional ticket to you. These do include admission to the book signing line. I will send a form out soon where you can request your tickets to the free award ceremony. I know it seems redundant-- of course you'll want to attend that!-- but we are dealing with two separate locations and sources for tickets. I've reserved 2 tickets to the King reception for you. You may now purchase these tickets ($200) online where you made your initial donation or you may mail in a check. (address listed on our website here: http://www.fallforthebook.org/support-the-festival.php )

Once we receive payment for your ticket(s), I will send you a confirmation email confirming your purchase. Additionally, you will receive your ticket(s) in the mail in early September. Please be patient with us as we are working as quickly as we possibly can to meet your needs.

Thank you again for your generous contribution!

Shannon
07-13-2011, 08:08 PM
This may sound like an out of the blue question, and I will be forthcoming with the information that I am not too knowledgable about any literary societies in general ... but ... has anyone heard of this group/event/anything before this signing was announced?

The website and emails look legit and nothing is setting off any "faker" siren in my head ... but with a little time and effort, it wouldn't be too hard to create an entire website from scratch with semi-informative information on it ...

mcdonaldj
07-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Yes, I gave it a quick check to see if it was legit:

http://news.gmu.edu/articles/5656
http://www.stephenking.com/news_archive/archive_page_2.html

Shannon
07-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Oh wow, that was a while ago ... OK, cool, thanks.

herbertwest
07-14-2011, 01:47 AM
For the overseas who feel like they are missing out:
http://www.booksigningcentral.com/2011/04/04/stephen-king-boo-signing-tour-on-the-horizon/

Except that it wont be happening in 2012... but in 2013. Got bloody time till then....

TwistedNadine
07-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Except that it wont be happening in 2012... but in 2013. Got bloody time till then....

Is that posted somewhere? That site says "this year"

Randall Flagg
07-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Got my Email confirmation. In it there were answers to questions people may have:

Frequently Asked Questions:

How will I get my tickets to the reception?
Please ensure that your mailing address is correct on the attached form, and we will mail them out to you in early September.

I’m traveling from far away, when will I receive my reception tickets?
We understand that many of you are arranging travel plans especially for the festival. We will mail your paper tickets to you well in advance of the festival in early September.

What is the dress code for the reception?
Suits and dresses as well as business casual are acceptable.

Is the award ceremony free?
Yes. However, we expect to fill the Concert Hall to its maximum capacity. Therefore, we do ask that you reserve a ticket to the event.

He will sign 400 books for 400 people. All VIP Reception ticket holders are guaranteed a spot in the book signing line. The other 300 spots will be available to the public in a manner TBA.

I have tickets to a VIP reception, what if something comes up and I can’t attend? Can I get a refund? Can I transfer my ticket to someone else?
We cannot give refunds, but we will allow a ticket transfer. In order to do this, you need to let us know the name of the person who will attend in your place.

I’m from out of town. Where can I stay while in Fairfax?
We recommend that you stay at the Mason Inn, which is located on George Mason University’s campus.

Garrell
07-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Good info Jerome. I was wondering about attire mainly.

Dolso
07-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Are the tickets you guys are getting VIP tickets? I'm not going but it strikes me that you may be paying $200 (or $235 or whatever) to attend a function that includes King & a CHANCE to be one of the 300 (out of 1500) people that will get in line to get books signed. This may have been answered previously but .... just a thought....

Randall Flagg
07-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Are the tickets you guys are getting VIP tickets? I'm not going but it strikes me that you may be paying $200 (or $235 or whatever) to attend a function that includes King & a CHANCE to be one of the 300 (out of 1500) people that will get in line to get books signed. This may have been answered previously but .... just a thought....
I have two VIP tickets. Per the FAQ's:
He will sign 400 books for 400 people. All VIP Reception ticket holders are guaranteed a spot in the book signing line.

Room 217 Caretaker
07-14-2011, 12:46 PM
I have two VIP tickets. Per the FAQ's:
He will sign 400 books for 400 people. All VIP Reception ticket holders are guaranteed a spot in the book signing line.

I have two VIP tickets as well.

Stephen King VIP Reception (limited to 100 attendees)
• Friday, September 23, 6 p.m.
• Each King reception attendee also receives a ticket to the Mason Award presentation plus a ticket for the limited book signing line (since the author has agreed to autograph only 400 books).

Fall for the Book will host a VIP reception for Stephen King, this year’s Mason Award recipient. Participants will enjoy food, wine and the opportunity to chat with the author in a more intimate setting (limited to 100 attendees).

Patrick
07-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks for asking all the questions relevant to us from faraway, Jerome.

I need to check out travel and lodging costs...

TwistedNadine
07-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Mason Inn is on campus and pretty reasonable I thot

http://www.acc-masoninnandconferencecenter.com/index.cfm

Ari_Racing
07-14-2011, 03:33 PM
So it's 100 dollars for the VIP reception and I can have my book signed for that amount.

Is that correct?

TwistedNadine
07-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Yes that is correct. 100 for each VIP ticket which guarantees a book signed. but you first have to become a Founding Member with a minimum donation of 35 (in addition to the ticket cost). But heads up as of this morning they were just about sold out and looking at a probable waiting list...

namelessnpoor
07-15-2011, 02:19 AM
Just managed to sneak in and get my 2 VIP tickets yesterday !! Reserved, paid for and confirmed !!
Think me and the wife are just going to make a night of it and stay overnight. Get a night alone with the wife, away from the kids and a couple books signed by King !!! Not a bad night.

carlosdetweiller
07-15-2011, 03:52 AM
Congratulations to all who got the VIP tickets. I think you are in for a great time. I've been to two King signings, one in 1983 and one in 1998. Both were very memorable events (and I didn't even get my books signed in 1983!).

Randall Flagg
07-15-2011, 05:47 AM
I got a feeling the 400 person signing will be a bit of a cattle call.

CRinVA
07-15-2011, 06:05 AM
Wow I am local and did not opt for the VIP tickets - it's a money thing you know - tuition and room and board for two AND I just bought two plane tickets to Vegas in early September and add in the hotel (Planet Hollywood Resorts) and fun and I have spent my entertaqinbement quota for some time. We are meeting my two sisters-in-law and their spouses travelling from upstate NY and from Hawaii. My Sister-in-law that lives in hawaii is married to a Navy Captain and we get theri military discount - I figure Planet Hollywood for 4 nights at $93/night is a pretty good deal in Las Vegas.

I guess i'll just take my chances as part of the cattle call! Move over bossie, I'm coming thorugh!

Who all is going and will still be around and would like to visit after the signing? I could host a get together at my home - I live about 20-30 minutes from the venue!

TwistedNadine
07-15-2011, 08:25 AM

Agreed. Hope they come up with a plan before the event

Patrick
07-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Wow I am local and did not opt for the VIP tickets - it's a money thing you know - tuition and room and board for two AND I just bought two plane tickets to Vegas in early September and add in the hotel (Planet Hollywood Resorts) and fun and I have spent my entertaqinbement quota for some time. We are meeting my two sisters-in-law and their spouses travelling from upstate NY and from Hawaii. My Sister-in-law that lives in hawaii is married to a Navy Captain and we get theri military discount - I figure Planet Hollywood for 4 nights at $93/night is a pretty good deal in Las Vegas.

I guess i'll just take my chances as part of the cattle call! Move over bossie, I'm coming thorugh!

Who all is going and will still be around and would like to visit after the signing? I could host a get together at my home - I live about 20-30 minutes from the venue!
Sure you can afford VIP tix... Double down in Vegas!

Agreed. Hope they come up with a plan before the event
I would hope that if they hand out numbers for the line, that the VIP's at least get #1-100.

sgc1999
07-15-2011, 12:28 PM
The VIP tickets ($100 each) are good for the first 100 people and will get first dibs on book signing. the free tickets (remaing 300 book signings will be explained at the event. perhaps a lottery? only 300 out of 1400 free ticket people attending will get books signed.

TwistedNadine
07-15-2011, 07:02 PM
You know we could brainstorm and offer them ideas of how to handle the book signing. I personally dont want to be trampled to death before getting my book signed. Nor am I interested in riots or the such. I like to read violence, not participate in it. And Im not sure if a lottery would be the way to go.

Since people have to "reserve" their free tickets Im hoping they do some sort of random pick but it is determined at the time the ticket is issued. Like every 5th ticket issued is stamped BOOK SIGNING. That way the ticket holder knows BEFORE the event whether or not they will be able to get their book signed...

biomieg
07-16-2011, 12:29 AM
This has to be the most convoluted way to organize a book signing event I've ever seen. So far it's been good for at least two or three pages worth of discussion just on how it's organized...

Shannon
07-16-2011, 01:50 AM
lol @ "I like to read violence, not participate in it."

I was going to go but then changed my mind. I didn't think about the hotel and rental car and all that crap. Damn necessities!

Flying in with just your book for luggage, going to the event, and then flying back out again doesn't sound TOO bad ... but I'll pass this time. You honky muthas better come back with good event reports! And pictures! lol

Garrell
07-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Still debating on driving (11 hours one way) or flying. I am gonna stay at the hotel on campus.

johnsmith87
07-16-2011, 11:39 AM
You know we could brainstorm and offer them ideas of how to handle the book signing. I personally dont want to be trampled to death before getting my book signed. Nor am I interested in riots or the such. I like to read violence, not participate in it. And Im not sure if a lottery would be the way to go.

Since people have to "reserve" their free tickets Im hoping they do some sort of random pick but it is determined at the time the ticket is issued. Like every 5th ticket issued is stamped BOOK SIGNING. That way the ticket holder knows BEFORE the event whether or not they will be able to get their book signed...

Agreed. Totally against a lottery or something like that. Why don't they just set aside 300 signing tickets that you can reserve at the same time you get your main tickets, first come first serve? That way the people who really want to go to the signing have a fair chance and some kind of control. Any idea what e-mail address I should send this idea to?

Randall Flagg
07-16-2011, 01:28 PM
You have to understand that this is a University with a diverse student body population. It wouldn't be PC for them to offer 400 tickets @$100 (After the minimum $35 joining cost). They sell 100 and the rest (this is strictly a guess on my part,) will be offered up in some lottery to the student body.

mcdonaldj
07-16-2011, 02:42 PM
You have to understand that this is a University with a diverse student body population. It wouldn't be PC for them to offer 400 tickets @$100 (After the minimum $35 joining cost). They sell 100 and the rest (this is strictly a guess on my part,) will be offered up in some lottery to the student body.

That is actually a fairly solid guess - I still remember being broke in college and scrapping together money for food - free tickets to see Stephen King with a shot at a lottery to get a book signed (at the time a dogeared paperback of IT), would have been an unbelieveable opportunity. I'd only add that I'm reasonably certain he would not do a book signing at all if young people who can't shell out $100 each weren't allowed to participate. I guess I can wait in line a little longer for that.

It seems a good number of folks from this forum will be there, I wonder how many of the 100?

Randall Flagg
07-16-2011, 03:03 PM
More than 10.

Rahfa
07-16-2011, 05:08 PM
So it's confirmed that you bring a book to the signing?

It is strange that expect people to show up and carry a book around during a charity event...but judging by how their planning to "manage" the crowd, doesn't seem that surprising...haha...

Merlin1958
07-16-2011, 05:34 PM
RF? Thinking out loud here, but how cool would it be to have him sign your NS book and case??? He just might get a kick outta the case and you could get a chance to speak with him!!!! Never underestimate the "Novelty" factor!!!!

:orely:

Randall Flagg
07-16-2011, 05:39 PM
RF? Thinking out loud here, but how cool would it be to have him sign your NS book and case??? He just might get a kick outta the case and you could get a chance to speak with him!!!! Never underestimate the "Novelty" factor!!!!

:orely:
I doubt he will sign both the book and case unless I handed the book to one of King's handlers, and my wife handed the case. He undoubtedly would sign the book, but could balk at signing the aftermarket case. I would hate to tarvel from San Francisco to Fairfax Virgina and be rejected for what King declined to sign.
I have a plan, and IF I go, I think it will be a good decision.

Merlin1958
07-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Give the handler the book IN the case!!! After all its not (to quote Yogi) "your average case"!!!!! LOL

You know, He and Chadbourne are good buddies!!!

Garrell
07-16-2011, 05:46 PM
RF, does IF mean IT or what? curious:orely:

Garrell
07-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Actually, I have decide to let my son in Cali pick his favorite book since it will be his some day, he loves SK also.

Merlin1958
07-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Actually, I have decide to let my son in Cali pick his favorite book since it will be his some day, he loves SK also.

But Dad? I'm in AZ!!!!! LOL LOL

Garrell
07-16-2011, 05:54 PM
If he picks From a Buick 8, he's up for adoption. Nice try Bill:)

Merlin1958
07-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Hadda take the shot. Knew I shoulda sent you a gift for 'Father's Day"!!!! LOL

John Blaze
07-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Anyone going to the next GRRM book signing, anywhere?

Cook
07-17-2011, 06:19 AM

I'm attending the the "Mason award" in Va., but I'd still like to attend the Texas event previously mentioned.
Has anybody heard any updates?

Bethany
07-17-2011, 07:49 AM

August 2nd, 7 PM. Lexington KY. Be there or be square :D

TwistedNadine
07-17-2011, 08:40 AM

Agreed. Totally against a lottery or something like that. Why don't they just set aside 300 signing tickets that you can reserve at the same time you get your main tickets, first come first serve? That way the people who really want to go to the signing have a fair chance and some kind of control. Any idea what e-mail address I should send this idea to?

One of the emails I received said:
"General inquiries about the festival should go to Kara at festivalmanager@fallforthebook.org."
And Ellie (Eleanor) seems to be the one in charge of the organizing (but not 100% sure of that). Her email is ellietipton@gmail.com

TwistedNadine
07-17-2011, 08:48 AM
So it's confirmed that you bring a book to the signing?

It is strange that expect people to show up and carry a book around during a charity event...but judging by how their planning to "manage" the crowd, doesn't seem that surprising...haha...

Bringing your own book for signature is confirmed. But I really cant imagine all attendees will bring something with them with the hopes of getting it signed. I do have faith that the administration will figure out a fair and organized way of identifying the 300 who will get their book signed.

Patrick
07-17-2011, 08:50 AM
On the Virginia signing:

"Only 200 tickets to Stephen King's award presentation in the Concert Hall have been set aside for the Founding Members of the Fall for the Book Friends, so act quickly!"

I'm not sure if we've discussed that you can be assured a spot at the event without purchasing the VIP package. No idea if these other Founding Members get preferential treatment for the remaining 300 (non-VIP) book signing tickets though.

Ari_Racing
07-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Sorry guys, but I'm still blind for this. A friend of mine is planning to attend in order to get my IT copy signed. But he won't go to the special 100 people reception, so I don't understand how do I have to proceed. Do I have to send and email? Pay something in advance?

Garrell
07-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Ugh, my son wants Carrie signed. Problem is, it is one of the 2 "Holy grails" I am still missing. Gonna ask if he has a second choice (watch it be Salem's Lot, the other one I am missing), If not I am getting my BCE Carrie signed it looks like.

WeDealInLead
07-17-2011, 12:29 PM
There's a BCE Carrrie available for $100 from Betts.

Cook
07-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Ugh, my son wants Carrie signed. Problem is, it is one of the 2 "Holy grails" I am still missing. Gonna ask if he has a second choice (watch it be Salem's Lot, the other one I am missing), If not I am getting my BCE Carrie signed it looks like.

???? A book club, are you kidding?
You just spent at least $135.00 for a ticket ($235.00 if your companioning), you're considering flying or driving all that distance, plus a hotel room. Why not buy a 1st ed Carrie in decent condition & have that signed, It doesn't have to be mint.
Crack out that credit card & make this a real memorable moment, in for a penny, in for a pound.
You don't want this moment to pass you by... Trust me on this one.

Garrell
07-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Actually thinking along the lines of Cooks idea.

TwistedNadine
07-17-2011, 07:58 PM
???? A book club, are you kidding?
You just spent at least $135.00 for a ticket ($235.00 if your companioning), you're considering flying or driving all that distance, plus a hotel room. Why not buy a 1st ed Carrie in decent condition & have that signed, It doesn't have to be mint.
Crack out that credit card & make this a real memorable moment, in for a penny, in for a pound.
You don't want this moment to pass you by... Trust me on this one.

I agree 200% with Cook. And it was very well put, too.

Shannon
07-17-2011, 09:56 PM
I've seen a few signed limiteds that people got signed an extra time or two by King. Does that make sense to anyone here? Not to me. MAYBE MAYBE if you had him sign the same book a hundred times or a signature on every page or something, that would be cool. But ... the book is already collectible, it already has value, and it already has his signature, why do it multiple times?

Patrick
07-17-2011, 10:02 PM
I've seen a few signed limiteds that people got signed an extra time or two by King. Does that make sense to anyone here? Not to me. MAYBE MAYBE if you had him sign the same book a hundred times or a signature on every page or something, that would be cool. But ... the book is already collectible, it already has value, and it already has his signature, why do it multiple times?
My guess is that people don't do it for the resale value. If one feels a particular love for a story, having their highest quality edition of the story signed by King in their presence might make it even more special. If that edition happens to be an S/L, so be it.

Personally I wouldn't do it, but I can see why someone would.

biomieg
07-18-2011, 12:47 AM
Aren't these usually also inscribed? Having two 'flatsigned' sigs seems a bit redundant but I can see how a personalized inscription in a signed/limite edition would make the book more valuable to a collector.

Robert Fulman
07-18-2011, 07:33 AM
I would do it, but only if he would inscribe it "So nice, I signed it twice."

Rahfa
07-18-2011, 09:08 AM

Meh...I would not do that. It will not measurably increase value, and might hurt it.

Carrie, Night Shift, Stand, Salem's first editions...followed by Gunslinger and It...after that, any choice is a good one.

Like was said above, if you're going to this signing you should really spend the money for a legit first edition of SOMETHING, not a book club or a later printing.

Cook
07-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Have you checked the price of that Hotel.... Could get a very nice book for what they are charging.
Metro runs within 3.8 miles of college. Think wife and I will get a room in DC and take Metro then Cab to event.

I think your talking about the Mason Inn ? $80.00 a night is high?

Room 217 Caretaker
07-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Have you checked the price of that Hotel.... Could get a very nice book for what they are charging.
Metro runs within 3.8 miles of college. Think wife and I will get a room in DC and take Metro then Cab to event.

The Mason Inn (walking distance) AAA rate is $80 a night. Have you tried there?

Mulleins

EXPLORER
07-18-2011, 12:31 PM
When I checked last week after getting my VIp ticket msg.. The rate I found for Mason Inn was showing starting around $300/night. After sending my message I checked again and actually booked there..
MY MESSGE WAS FLAWED... SORRY Did not mean to mislead. Was typing correction..when got a call... You guys are Good and quick to catch my error.

EXPLORER
07-18-2011, 12:32 PM

The Mason Inn (walking distance) AAA rate is $80 a night. Have you tried there?

Mulleins MY ERROR It is a good option

sgc1999
07-18-2011, 01:00 PM
i think there are only three rooms left at the mason conference hotel $80 with AAA.

Cook
07-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Does this mean that scg1999, EXPLORER, mulleins,
Will be there as well ???

Randall Flagg
07-18-2011, 01:40 PM
I just called, and they had rooms, but not at $80.

Cook
07-18-2011, 01:43 PM

Sorta like beating a dead horse isn't it... Dead is dead, Signed is signed

Room 217 Caretaker
07-18-2011, 03:04 PM

Actually, I know of a signed limited signed twice with a cool story of why it happened.

Go to my collections thread #151 and look at my Cycle limited, after looking, scroll down to #164 & 166 to understand the story.

Mulleins

sgc1999
07-18-2011, 03:14 PM
YES INDEED, SGC1999 AKA, SIMON WILL BE THERE IF ALL GOES WELL:) i CANT WAIT!

Room 217 Caretaker
07-18-2011, 03:28 PM
This hotel is two miles away from the event

Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks
11787 Lee Jackson Memorial Highway
Fairfax, Virginia 22033 USA
1-703-352-2525

On line booking is $90

However, The Inn right across the parking lot is your best bet if you can get in. Walking distance.

Mulleins

iowabob
07-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Here's a little bit more to go with the story.

Chris Zavisa of Land of Enchantment enclosed a letter (shown below) that explained that 6 copies of the S/L were bound incorrectly. The books were rebound with unsigned limitation sheets and then sent to Wrightson and King for resigning. The second (dated) signature was a nice bonus for the six people that had to wait for their copies to arrive.

My copy is #97.

http://www.iowabob.com/images/iowabob/COTW-LETTER01.JPG

EXPLORER
07-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Does this mean that scg1999, EXPLORER, mulleins,
Will be there as well ???

EXPLORER has made the comittment to be a "Founding Member" of Friends of Fall For The Book Festival.....
Will attend with wife and plan to meet another old collector buddy there. ( or perhaps a few.)
Grabbed a couple VIP tickets on the 13th. thanks to heads up from dear friend.

Patrick
07-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Cool story, Iowa Bob!

Randall Flagg
07-18-2011, 04:02 PM
One of the plusses for staying at the Mason Conference center is its proximity to the entier campus (It is on the school's grounds).
The center offers all the amenities of the Mason campus, The Patriot Center (http://www.patriotcenter.com/), Center for the Arts (http://cfa.gmu.edu/) and the Recreation and Athletic Center (http://recsports.gmu.edu/rac) with easily accessible complimentary shuttle service around campus and to and from the Vienna Metro stop.

EXPLORER
07-18-2011, 04:08 PM
One of the plusses for staying at the Mason Conference center is its proximity to the entier campus (It is on the school's grounds).
The center offers all the amenities of the Mason campus, The Patriot Center (http://www.patriotcenter.com/), Center for the Arts (http://cfa.gmu.edu/) and the Recreation and Athletic Center (http://recsports.gmu.edu/rac) with easily accessible complimentary shuttle service around campus and to and from the Vienna Metro stop.

ALSO: Mason Inn also has FREE shuttle to/from the METRO, so getting into DC should be fairly easy.. Love traveling to cities with lots to do and good ways to gt around.

Cook
07-18-2011, 05:03 PM

Actually, I know of a signed limited signed twice with a cool story of why it happened.

Go to my collections thread #151 and look at my Cycle limited, after looking, scroll down to #164 & 166 to understand the story.

Mulleins

mulleins,
Very Cool Story.... Especially the smile.
I apologize, it appears I have yet to look at your collection.
Your video is as great as your intro.. Mona's pretty cool.

Shannon
07-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Same here, I really need to catch up on checking out other people's collections! Just started Ralphs ... whew!

Patrick
07-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Same here, I really need to catch up on checking out other people's collections! ...This shoe fits me too.

Garrell
07-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Just booked Sept. 23 & 24 at The Mason Inn:nana:

Randall Flagg
07-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Shall I bring a bunch of Dt.Org buttons for the event?

sgc1999
07-19-2011, 10:49 AM
yes definitely. REPRESENT!

Garrell
07-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Yep, I agree:) I would wear it over my DT lapel pin.

Randall Flagg
07-19-2011, 11:56 AM
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6100/img1796v.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/986/img1820n.jpg

TwistedNadine
07-19-2011, 12:54 PM
A collector friend of mine just got this e mail. I find it to be rather disturbing. This refers to the FREE ADMISSIONS not VIP

EMAIL QUOTE:
Hi ____,

Because Mr. King is only able to sign a limited number of books, we'll be giving out separate tickets for the autography line. Those will be distributed on the day of the event for the first people in line.

Thanks,

Kara Oakleaf
Manager, Fall for the Book Festival
George Mason University, MS 3E4
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030
Ph: 703.993.3986
Fax: 703.993.1161
www.fallforthebook.org

Ari_Racing
07-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Alright. Note taken. I gotta ask my friend if he'll be able to attend early.

Cook
07-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Sure, button a great idea.

Cook
07-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Just booked Sept. 23 & 24 at The Mason Inn:nana:

Did you get a decent rate?

Garrell
07-19-2011, 02:00 PM
$89 a nite, no AAA or AARP, funny thing is AARP sent me mail a week ago, trying to get me to sign on early. Still cheap compared to $259 a nite at West Baden that we stayed in for the derby. Was worth it though, prettiest hotel I have ever seen.

mcdonaldj
07-19-2011, 07:45 PM

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/986/img1820n.jpg

+1 for the button. However, it's hard to see the button with a picture of all the S/L S.K. books I'd ever want in the background of the other picture. Wow!!!

Patrick
07-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Cute photo of your daughter, Jerome!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-22-2011, 10:38 AM
From SKMB:

The dates and cities have been determined for the book tour to promote 11/22/63. Specific details for each venue are still being negotiated but we should have more information within the next few weeks.

November 7th Boston
November 10 & 11 Dallas
November 12 New Orleans
November 14 Sarasota
December 14 Atlanta

Ben Staad
07-22-2011, 10:40 AM
From SKMB:

The dates and cities have been determined for the book tour to promote 11/22/63. Specific details for each venue are still being negotiated but we should have more information within the next few weeks.

November 7th Boston
November 10 & 11 Dallas
November 12 New Orleans
November 14 Sarasota
December 14 Atlanta

Hooray! I live about 1 1/2 hours away from Sarasota...Please everyone help me not miss out on this (i.e. keep me up to date). Thanks for the post MRT!!!

Tito_Villa
07-22-2011, 11:33 AM
If anyone would like to meet up for the Boston event send me a pm because i will be over for the UK for then :)

Robert Fulman
07-22-2011, 11:37 AM
What are the general logistics for this kind of thing? Will we be able to reserve a spot, or will I have to wait in line for hours? Will he only sign a single copy of the new book and nothing else? Can I show him my manuscript?

biomieg
07-22-2011, 11:39 AM
That reminds me: my girlfriend and are planning to travel to the US next year. This doesn't have anything to do with anything, I know.

Ricky
07-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Most likely, even with a reservation, you'll be in line for at least an hour or two. In recent years, he's only signed copies of the book he's touring for. Regarding handing him a manuscript, someone at the Baltimore UTD signing tried to give him something like that, and he politely declined the offer.

Robert Fulman
07-22-2011, 11:41 AM
(I was only kidding about the manuscript :))

Ricky
07-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Oh, well in that case, YES. Definitely bring it. :lol:

wizardsrainbow
07-22-2011, 05:39 PM
The book that is tops on my list right now to get signed is my Orange Gunslinger proof. There are just a handful of these to begin with and if I can get it signed, it may be the only signed copy in the world...although Bob will probably chime in here and tell me his copy is signed.

mcdonaldj
07-22-2011, 05:55 PM
The book that is tops on my list right now to get signed is my Orange Gunslinger proof. There are just a handful of these to begin with and if I can get it signed, it may be the only signed copy in the world...although Bob will probably chime in here and tell me his copy is signed.

Do you have pic available you could share of the orange proof of Gunslinger? Sounds very cool. Thanks.

wizardsrainbow
07-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Sure. Here you go...the book and publisher's letter

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Orange_Gunslinger1.jpg

mcdonaldj
07-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Wow, very unique, if you could get that signed I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of a kind. Thanks for posting the picture.

olverts
07-23-2011, 01:57 AM
Sure. Here you go...the book and publisher's letter

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Orange_Gunslinger1.jpg

Wow that picture makes me drool , and the idea of getting it signed goes beyond my mind :)

carlosdetweiller
07-23-2011, 03:50 AM

My copy is not signed either.

EXPLORER
07-23-2011, 03:57 AM

I THINK THAT IS EXCELLENT IDEA.... You apparently think along the same lines as I do.
I plan to bring my SHINING Proof with me to Mason event.
I have carried it with me to a few events when I thought there may be a chance to approach Mr. King.
I have even very carefully brought it to Spring training games hoping would run into him there again.
I have been fortunate to run into or meet him on a few occassions and had some intersting rare things signed,
however have not had any luck since I started toting this proof.
With the VIP tocket for thie Mason event this mission should come to fruition.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-23-2011, 04:27 AM
Not every event is a signing. Some only have pre-signed books, as per the FDNS tour.

jhanic
07-23-2011, 05:44 AM
This is per Ms Mod on the SKMB:

As with the last tour, there will be a mix of events that have a stage event and pre-signed books only and others that are book signings. That's part of what we're working out now.

John

Tito_Villa
07-23-2011, 05:53 AM
Really hope the Boston event is a signing because most of all i want to meet Mr King

Bethany
07-23-2011, 06:06 AM
Atlanta is so, so close :D

namelessnpoor
07-23-2011, 06:11 AM
trying to decide if its worth the money and drive to get a book signed that i may be able to buy on line for under $200 a short while later? Atlanta or Boston may be my best bets, if my grandparents are at their Florida House though, they may be able to get me a copy or 2 from Sarasota !

Cook
07-23-2011, 06:40 AM
That reminds me: my girlfriend and are planning to travel to the US next year. This doesn't have anything to do with anything, I know.

Is this your 1st trip?
Do you have a specific itinerary yet?

biomieg
07-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Cook, yes it will be my first trip to the US. I have never even travelled outside Europe! My first big trip will be in two months - we're going to Southern Africa for a month. My girlfriend has been all over the globe so it's about time I follow in her footsteps...

We haven't made any plans for the US... yet. I'll be sure to talk to you guys and ask for advice!

sgc1999
07-23-2011, 10:35 AM
can anyone tell me where King is signing for his next tour. At least in new england?
thanks

ICry4Oy
07-23-2011, 10:55 AM
From another thread in this forum:

From SKMB:

November 7th Boston
November 10 & 11 Dallas
November 12 New Orleans
November 14 Sarasota
December 14 Atlanta

stevohump
07-27-2011, 06:17 PM
I know this is a real new guy question, but do you normally have to buy tickets to events like this or is it just first come first served type of thing. Thanks for any info

Patrick
07-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Bumping this ol' thread of tips and advice because of all the signing events in the coming months.

Bev Vincent
07-28-2011, 02:06 AM
They're all different. We'll have to wait to hear details of each particular event.

Rahfa
07-28-2011, 06:07 AM
Really hope the Boston event is a signing because most of all i want to meet Mr King

I'll hopefully go to the Boston one, but I can honestly say there is little/no thrill in 'meeting' SK at one of these cattle call events...he might be nice and might even say something friendly, but everything in his manner is that he's playing a role we've set for him.

sgc1999
07-28-2011, 08:39 AM
I have to agree. the last 2 times i waited in the cattle line you could tell he couldnt wait to be done. I shook his hand one time and i swear it was like a robotic sequence. i dont think he even looked up. LOL:)

Stockerlone
07-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Think for 99.9% this is NOT important, but....
Hamburg Harbour Literatur Festival 14. - 24. September 2011
100 - 150 Book Authors artists are comming. The list is still not finished....

http://www.harbour-front.org/mitwirkende

Last year, the big names of the 100-150 BOOK-Authors who visited the festival are:
John Grisham, Günther Grass, John Irwin and Justin Cronin with his Germany Premiere

This year, the big names are:
Kathy Reichs, Cornelia Funke (Ink Heart series), Mary Higgins Clark, Gary Shteyngart, Tony O'Neill ....

mcdonaldj
07-31-2011, 10:30 AM
FYI, the S.K. reception is officially sold out...
VIP Receptions
Fall for the Book will host receptions for both Amy Tan, the 2011 Fairfax Prize winner, and Stephen King, this year’s Mason Award recipient, prior to each writer’s appearance at the festival. Participants will enjoy food, wine and the opportunity to chat with these authors in a more intimate setting — plus the satisfaction of contributing to the success of the festival, as proceeds from these events support future programming.

The King reception has already sold out. However, Founding Members of the Friends of Fall for the Book still have the opportunity to purchase up to two tickets for the Tan reception along with their membership dues.

http://www.fallforthebook.org/support-the-festival.php

Garrell
07-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Conflicted on what book to have signed in VA. The Shining vs. The Gunslinger (have/on the way S/L DT 3, 5-7). Reason DTI is because I don't see me ever paying for a DTI S/L, but would like all 7 signed in some way. Course that means I gotta get a DTI 1st, not a huge concern. Input would be nice.

jhanic
07-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Go ahead and get the DTI. It would be nice to have the entire DT series signed.

John

Ari_Racing
07-31-2011, 12:53 PM
VIP Receptions
Fall for the Book will host receptions for both Amy Tan, the 2011 Fairfax Prize winner, and Stephen King, this year’s Mason Award recipient, prior to each writer’s appearance at the festival. Participants will enjoy food, wine and the opportunity to chat with these authors in a more intimate setting — plus the satisfaction of contributing to the success of the festival, as proceeds from these events support future programming.

The King reception has already sold out. However, Founding Members of the Friends of Fall for the Book still have the opportunity to purchase up to two tickets for the Tan reception along with their membership dues.

So the only way left to get a book signed for this event is attending to the signing only? How many will King sign for these people? 100?

If the event takes place at 7pm, at what time do you suggest one should attend?

Thanks!

Room 217 Caretaker
07-31-2011, 03:01 PM
VIP Receptions

So the only way left to get a book signed for this event is attending to the signing only? How many will King sign for these people? 100?

If the event takes place at 7pm, at what time do you suggest one should attend?

Thanks!

My understanding he is signing the 100 VIP spots and 300 random (however they decide to do it).

Hope this helps.

Mulleins

Shannon
07-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Garrell, I totally see you owning a DT1 one day. No worries there at all. So, with that in mind, is your choice still the same?

Ari_Racing
07-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks, Ralph! :)

Garrell
08-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Just paid for my plane tickets to VA.

Randall Flagg
08-02-2011, 11:57 AM
So what is the running head count from our site?
Count me as tentative.

Garrell
08-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Definite:rock:

sgc1999
08-02-2011, 04:27 PM
i got tickets and plan on going:)

Cook
08-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Jerome, scg1999, Garrell, mulleins, & all rest....
We are going to make the trip a vacation as well, plane tickets are purchased, 3 nights at the mason inn, still deciding where to book the remaining nights,
Looking forward to meeting everybody, I apologize if I forgot to mention anybody.
Richard & Karen

EXPLORER
08-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Alls well as my wife and I will attend as well. Also making it a vacation as we enjoy DC area . have first two nights scheduled at Masons Inn.... then on from there to an determined DC local.
Got some great discounted flights a couple weeks ago.

Nerak
08-03-2011, 09:29 AM
I won't be in VA but WILL be in Boston! Can't wait!!!

Garrell
08-03-2011, 10:36 AM
I am staying at GM Inn Friday and Saturday:) I fly in early friday and fly out sunday late.

Randall Flagg
08-03-2011, 11:44 AM
I have reservations at GM Thursday and Friday night.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Don't forget guys, not all these dates are book signings!

Garrell
08-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Don't forget guys, not all these dates are book signings!

VIP in VA is guarented:) Even with my bad spelling, hehe.

Patrick
08-03-2011, 02:51 PM
I have VIP tix to DC, but at this point it's looking quite unlikely I'll make it.

Merlin1958
08-03-2011, 05:01 PM
I have VIP tix to DC, but at this point it's looking quite unlikely I'll make it.

I'll go in your place Ummmmm wait, wife says no I won't. We're doing "Da Holidays in NYC" and apparently i'm instrumental!!!! I do LOVE the Macy's parade!!! LOL

Good luck all!!!

jhanic
08-03-2011, 05:12 PM
I'm not going to any of the signings, but I hope that you that do post LOTS of pictures!

John

Robert Fulman
08-04-2011, 04:35 AM
Even if he isn't signing in Boston, I'm still taking November 7 off.

Nerak
08-04-2011, 05:56 AM
Patrick...are the tickets transferable?

Randall Flagg
08-04-2011, 05:57 AM
Yes.

Patrick
08-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Jerome is correct. Before posting here, I had already entered into an agreement with another member here. Sorry, Karen.

Roseannebarr
08-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Does anyone have a clue when the details are going to be firmed up on the upcoming 11/22/63 signing tour? Thanks!

Shannon
08-09-2011, 07:49 PM
I didn't know Roseanne was a SK fan. Welcome! Where's Dan? :)

Randall Flagg
08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Does anyone have a clue when the details are going to be firmed up on the upcoming 11/22/63 signing tour? Thanks!
If we knew when dteails would be firmed up, we would likely know what the details are. I would wager (guess) that 6-8 weeks in advance things will be known.

WeDealInLead
08-10-2011, 05:00 AM
I'm hoping to go to the one in Boston. It's only 8-9 hours away and last time I was there would've been 6 years ago.

divemaster
08-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Im SO EXCITED! I just received confirmation of my tickets for the Fall for the Book Stephen King reception, mason award ceremony and limited signing!! I havent seen any comments about the event here on TDT so here's the link. Now I have to decide what I want signed....

http://www.fallforthebook.org/mason-prize.php

I just found out about this today. I live about 20 minutes from the venue (George Mason) and am kicking myself that the special reception and signing appears to be sold out. I've never been to a book signing before. If anyone discovers they will not be able to make it, please let me know...

Roseannebarr
08-10-2011, 03:32 PM
I have been looking on all the sites everyday. I don't want to miss a chance to meet him. Does anyone have a clue as to the type of bookstores he usually goes too? I saw him in St. Louis at the largest independent bookstore when Insomnia came out. I didnt know if he only sticks to independents. Maybe he has some favorites that he used in the past in those cities? Can't wait!

Roseannebarr
08-10-2011, 03:33 PM
and... is there usually a charge to get in line? to be able to purchase a book? If so, how much?

Randall Flagg
08-10-2011, 05:24 PM
I booked and paid for everything today!!!
The wife and I are a go. We get in Thursday morning and leave Sunday. We are staying at the George Mason Conference Center.
<-------------------------Now has to decide on two books to bring....oh the difficulties in life.

Garrell
08-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Still sticking with The Shining 1st/1st unless I get a Gunslinger 1st/1st before then. I do have a nice Carrie 1st/1st coming but it is 4th choice at best (after Cell). I will bring at least my top 2 in case I change my mind while I am there:) Glad you are making it Jerome.

namelessnpoor
08-11-2011, 11:20 AM
yeah, i have all my plans set for the George mason event...except which 2 books to bring !

sgc1999
08-11-2011, 11:27 AM
GUNSLINGER FOR ME,AND.......................NOT SURE:unsure:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-11-2011, 02:10 PM
From the mod at SKMB today:

"Only 11/22/63 will be signed when he's on that book tour so it wouldn't help you with getting a copy of The Stand signed and not all of the events will be book signings. There is going to be a book signing in VA in September where people can bring their own book but I'm not sure if you're willing to go that far. Tickets will be made available on August 15--here's the link if you're interested.!

Randall Flagg
08-11-2011, 05:36 PM
<--------------------------------Just might bring some swag for DT members that show up.

sgc1999
08-11-2011, 05:51 PM
How are we gonna find eachother? a plan?:idea:

Randall Flagg
08-11-2011, 06:11 PM
TheDarkTower.org Tee Shirts.
Actually, we should meet at the George Mason Conference Center ("The Well" is their cocktail lounge). Several members are staying there, and they have a free shuttle that runs around the GM campus. It should drop us off and pick us up right at the venues doorstep (unless they move it off campus).

Cook
08-12-2011, 07:25 AM
TheDarkTower.org Tee Shirts.
Actually, we should meet at the George Mason Conference Center ("The Well" is their cocktail lounge). Several members are staying there, and they have a free shuttle that runs around the GM campus. It should drop us off and pick us up right at the venues doorstep (unless they move it off campus).

....The Well, I like the sound of that.

Randall Flagg
08-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks to Pablo for digging this up:

The Mason Award presentation takes place on Friday evening, September 23, in the Concert Hall, Center for the Arts, on George Mason University’s Fairfax Campus, and ticketholders will be required to be in their seats no later than 7:15 p.m. The award recognizes authors who have made extraordinary contributions to bringing literature to a wide reading public — something that King, one of the world’s most successful writers, has certainly done over a career which spans from his first professional short story sale in 1967 to Startling Mystery Stories through his upcoming novel 11/22/63, a time-traveling adventure surrounding the JFK assassination, due out in November.

The Mason Award presentation is sponsored this year by George Mason University Libraries and by Mystery Writers of America.

For more information on Fall for the Book’s full schedule, bookmark our website at www.fallforthebook.org (http://www.fallforthebook.org/).

mcdonaldj
08-12-2011, 03:33 PM
How does a guy get his hands on a TheDarkTower.org Tee Shirt? I'd be happy to get it in D.C.

Garrell
08-12-2011, 03:52 PM
How does a guy get his hands on a TheDarkTower.org Tee Shirt? I'd be happy to get it in D.C.

You going to VA thing also? Awesome!

Patrick
08-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Now that I've decided to go to my friend's wedding in Italy in lieu of the King event in Virginia, I really need to stop reading this thread.

Randall Flagg
08-12-2011, 05:11 PM
I only have 2 shirts left (only 19 were commissioned). One XXL Hoodie, and one XXL Tee-shirt. Someone just purchased a couple of shirts.

Garrell
08-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Now that I've decided to go to my friend's wedding in Italy in lieu of the King event in Virginia, I really need to stop reading this thread.

Bah, go to his second wedding...hehe:evil:

Garrell
08-12-2011, 05:12 PM
I only have 2 shirts left (only 19 were commissioned). One XXL Hoodie, and one XXL Tee-shirt. Someone just purchased a couple of shirts.
Won't fit me unless I go on a donut diet:(

Randall Flagg
08-12-2011, 05:15 PM
I was actually thinking of commissioning the 2012 shirts. I would likely only do 19, and this time probably no hoodies or polos. Tee-shirts only. Of course that could change.

Patrick
08-12-2011, 05:27 PM

:lol: It has taken him 46 years to get married the first time, I can't risk waiting that long for it to happen again.

Garrell
08-12-2011, 05:53 PM

:lol: It has taken him 46 years to get married the first time, I can't risk waiting that long for it to happen again.

But your still reading hehe

Randall Flagg
08-12-2011, 06:06 PM
I will absolutely be giving a DT.ORG button to ever member who meets in The Well lounge prior to the event.

Patrick
08-13-2011, 09:18 AM
:thumbsup:

Randall Flagg
08-13-2011, 12:36 PM
FYI,

Hello Friends of Fall for the Book!

I wanted to to clarify any confusion you might have about the details for the Mason Award Ceremony with Stephen King and the book signing line.

Award Ceremony:

Those of you who emailed me by Wednesday August 10th to reserve tickets to the award ceremony with Stephen King have successfully reserved your tickets to the event. You do not need to reserve additional tickets through the Center for the Arts for the award ceremoney event if you have already made your reservations through your Friends benefits. I am no longer able to reserve tickets for Friends members as we are releasing tickets to the public on Monday August 15th.

If you emailed me back your Welcome form with your mailing address (or if you forgot to do that and you paid online or your address is on the check you mailed in) then we have your current mailing address and will send you these tickets in early September.

Book Signing Line:

As you probably know, King will sign a limited number of books after the reading. If you were able to purchase a VIP Reception ticket with King, then you are guaranteed a spot in this line. If you were unable to purchase one of these reception tickets but you did reserve your award ceremony tickets, then you will automatically be entered into the lottery to win a spot in the book signing line.

Miscellaneous:

As a reminder, we will hold a raffle to win 2 free tickets to the VIP Reception with either King or Tan (winner's choice). Each of you will be entered into that raffle, and I will announce the results of that soon.

If you are on a wait-list for a reception ticket, thank you for your patience. We will be in touch soon to let you know if we have any slots open up for the event.

Thanks once again for your support! We'll see you in September!

Best,
Ellie Tipton
Development Director

namelessnpoor
08-14-2011, 09:15 AM
I will absolutely be giving a DT.ORG button to ever member who meets in The Well lounge prior to the event.

What day and time are you all plannng to meet at, The Well? Me and the wife will be getting in sometime friday afternoon and we are staying for the evening at the Campus.

Randall Flagg
08-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Those attending the ceremony must be in their seats by 7:15 pm. The Hotel is just a short walk/shuttle ride from the event venue. Not etched in stone, but I would say meet 5:30 pm-6:30pm. that could be precluded by the pre-ceremony gathering. If so the meeting would be ~1.5 hours before the social mixer.

sgc1999
08-14-2011, 10:19 AM
See ya there:thumbsup:

namelessnpoor
08-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks, looking forward to meeting with you all.

Ari_Racing
08-15-2011, 05:22 AM
I've just reserved one ticket, but I don't quite understand this. Am I know entered into a raffle for a place for the signing line? If I get one, do I have to pay how much?

divemaster
08-15-2011, 06:03 AM
I've just reserved one ticket, but I don't quite understand this. Am I know entered into a raffle for a place for the signing line? If I get one, do I have to pay how much?

I reserved 2 but have not received any sort of e-mail confirmation that I am indeed getting tickets. I would assume so, but I'd like that e-mail to make sure!

To me, a "raffle" means you have to pay for your chance. But there was nothing on the form indicating buying a raffle ticket.

sgc1999
08-15-2011, 06:15 AM
this is the person to email. eleanor tipton.

ellietipton@gmail.co​m

Ben Staad
08-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Does anyone have updated information on the upcoming book tour? I was hopeful that there would be some solid info by now...

Rahfa
08-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Nothing firm yet...still pretty early; book doesn't release for almost three months.

I've been staying on the Boston venues most likely to host the Nov. 7 appearance, but haven't seen anything.

Ben Staad
08-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Nothing firm yet...still pretty early; book doesn't release for almost three months.

I've been staying on the Boston venues most likely to host the Nov. 7 appearance, but haven't seen anything.

Thanks. I just want to make sure I don't miss out because Sarasota will be the only chance I get.

johnsmith87
08-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Sold out already??

Ricky
08-15-2011, 11:16 AM
I thought there would've been some new info. on the book tour by now as well. Ms. Mod said more to come in 2-3 weeks (this was about the 3rd week in July). She did say that they were waiting to release all event(s) information together, so there might be some hold-ups.

Ari_Racing
08-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Just received this email:

Advance tickets have all been claimed for the Mason Award presentation to Stephen King on Friday evening, September 23 — the closing night of the 2011 Fall for the Book. If you submitted your reservation before the link became inactive, you will receive your tickets in the mail — and you’ll also be mailed the “golden” signing ticket if you win the random drawing for those limited bonus tickets. Please note: No email confirmations will be sent. (And we apologize for the brief trouble with one of the links this morning not activating properly — a short glitch in the ticketing system.)

However, if you were not able to claim tickets this morning, there are still chances to attend!

1) George Mason University students (with student ID!) will be able to claim tickets during Welcome Week at the Fall for the Book booth on the Johnson Center Plaza — watch this space for details about dates and times.

2) Ten tickets will be distributed in pairs at a screening of The Shawshank Redemption, based on a novella by King, on Thursday, September 15 (time to be announced) at Cinema Arts Theatre, Fair City Mall, 9650 Main Street, Fairfax.

3) Ten tickets will be raffled off in pairs (no entry fee necessary!) at the Mystery Writers of America panel on Friday, September 23, at 5:30 p.m. in Harris Theater. Participants at that event include novelists Donna Andrews (The Real Macaw), G.M. Malliet (Wicked Autumn), Alan Orloff (Killer Routine), and Marcia Talley (A Quiet Death).

4) And finally, unclaimed seats as of 7:15 p.m. the night of the King event will be released to the general public on a first-come, first-served basis. (Let that be a reminder, ticketholders: Don’t be late!)

Even if you can’t make the King event, there’s plenty more to enjoy at the 13th annual festival. For information on Fall for the Book’s full schedule, bookmark our website at www.fallforthebook.org.

Now I need to trust I'll be lucky enough to get a golden ticket :)

Merlin1958
08-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Where did "TwistedNadine" get too????????

jhanic
08-16-2011, 03:56 AM
She's around. She just gets busy with her "real" job at times and falls out of sight. She'll be back.

John

jhanic
08-16-2011, 03:56 AM
She's around. She just gets busy with her "real" job at times and falls out of sight. She'll be back.

John

Randall Flagg
08-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Received this in my email today:
you have 2 tickets to the VIP Reception with King, 2 tickets to the Award Ceremony, and 2 tickets to the book signing line.

The reception is at 6pm on September 23rd at a location we will announce later to maintain security. The reception is limited to approximately 100 attendees and there will be light fare and drinks available for guests.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brice
08-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Congratulations Jerome! :D

jhanic
08-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Congratulations!

John

Randall Flagg
08-16-2011, 01:28 PM
:biggrin1:

Ari_Racing
08-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Hey! Congratulations!

Merlin1958
08-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Received this in my email today:
you have 2 tickets to the VIP Reception with King, 2 tickets to the Award Ceremony, and 2 tickets to the book signing line.

The reception is at 6pm on September 23rd at a location we will announce later to maintain security. The reception is limited to approximately 100 attendees and there will be light fare and drinks available for guests.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go, J!!!!! Have a great time!!!

:rock::rock::rock:

Patrick
08-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Glad you got that message, Jerome. Confirmation is a good thing!

Um... This may be a dumb question, but shouldn't everyone who paid the $235 get the same email soon?

Randall Flagg
08-17-2011, 05:59 AM

Um... This may be a dumb question, but shouldn't everyone who paid the $235 get the same email soon?
I would hope so. The likely reason I received it was I specifically asked.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-17-2011, 10:47 AM
From the Mod at SKMB today:

"Sorry, but no, only 11/22/63 will be signed as the purpose of the tour is to promote that book and there's a limit of just that one book to a person for the events that are actual signings and not stage events."

Cook
08-17-2011, 11:25 AM

This whole event has made me a little nervous (seems vague at times)
I'll feel alot better when I have my VIP tickets in hand.

Randall Flagg
08-17-2011, 11:28 AM

I agree. That (my guess) is probably 3-4 weeks away. I would also guess that the event will be held somewhere very close to the awards ceremony. If the Social is at 6pm and one is expected to be in their seat by 7:15pm they can't be far apart.

For those meeting at The Well, perhaps we should try to meet ~4pm.

Cook
08-17-2011, 11:34 AM

I agree. That (my guess) is probably 3-4 weeks away. I would also guess that the event will be held somewhere very close to the awards ceremony. If the Social is at 6pm and one is expected to be in their seat by 7:15pm they can't be far apart.

4:00 works for me
Richard

Room 217 Caretaker
08-17-2011, 04:16 PM
4:00 works for us

mulleins

Garrell
08-17-2011, 04:32 PM
4:00 for me also:wink1:

divemaster
08-18-2011, 04:27 AM
I would also guess that the event will be held somewhere very close to the awards ceremony. If the Social is at 6pm and one is expected to be in their seat by 7:15pm they can't be far apart.

Hey everyone, I think I got the free tickets to the general ceremony. Unless something weird happens I'm not a part of the social event or special signing. But I'd still like to meet up with folks if possible. I live about 20 minutes from George Mason and it would be easy for me to do so (as long as I am not on work travel that day--I travel a LOT so no guarantees at this point).

I've never meet up with "internet friends" or other collectors, so do I wear a special shirt or what, so you can spot me? I'll be the schlubby looking guy with the hot Korean wife LOL

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-18-2011, 06:16 AM
... the hot Korean wife LOL

They will find you!

JudCrandall
08-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Hey folks....newbie here. Been hiding in the shadows and checking things out when I had the chance over the last couple of years. Anyway, I think I have some tix to the main event coming. Hoping for a "golden ticket", lol. Like about 2000 other people. Maybe you will welcome a newcomer before the event starts?

Randall Flagg
08-18-2011, 03:05 PM
I just had a new idea what I might have King sign...............................

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/It_Galley.JPG

Ari_Racing
08-18-2011, 03:07 PM
How funny...

:pullhair:

:) Just Kidding. I'd surely choose that.

Rahfa
08-19-2011, 06:47 AM
This was already pretty much known, but Mod at the Stephen King message board did confirm that you can bring a book to the Mason Award event...which makes sense, since as she pointed out, "11/22/63" won't be out then...

EXPLORER
08-20-2011, 03:07 PM
I just had a new idea what I might have King sign...............................

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/It_Galley.JPG

Sounds like good idea to me.. I have a number of signed proofs.. LIKE EM.. In fact plan to bring my Shining Proof to DC and considering my most recent proof purchase FDNS since there appears to be a limited number of them out there. Proofs can also be easier to carry when flying.

Ari_Racing
08-20-2011, 03:09 PM
I remember you tried to get signed two proofs at NYC event. The Shining and the other...mm...was Dreamcatcher?

Roseannebarr
08-20-2011, 09:06 PM
It sounds like we have a very hard decision to make, it seems to me to be a very rare opportunity to pick a book for Stephen King to sign (as opposed to the most recently published book). I was planning on bringing my 1st edition carrie, or the shining, or the gunslinger, or the stand or night shift, salems lot or paperback of rage. :(

east-tennessee
08-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Rage.
Thats one I've not seen signed..
Wish I was going....

Garrell
08-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Rage...won't happen.

Roseannebarr
08-21-2011, 07:25 AM
The reason I was thinking of Rage is because i never saw anyone say that had one signed. Do you think he would refuse to sign it? Do you know he would refuse to sign it?

Thanks! Glen

Rahfa
08-21-2011, 08:39 AM
The reason I was thinking of Rage is because i never saw anyone say that had one signed. Do you think he would refuse to sign it? Do you know he would refuse to sign it?

Thanks! Glen

The reason you never see one signed, is because he doesn't sign them...at least not in recent memory. The book itself is out of print and he won't allow it to be republished.

He MIGHT sign it (you never know), but it's much more likely that he wouldn't, and you might lose your chance...it's not worth the risk.

Plus, the upside isn't worthwhile...a signed first of Night Shift, or Shining...any of those will be worth more than a Bachman paperback, Rage or not.

Merlin1958
08-21-2011, 09:09 PM

Thanks! Glen

The reason you never see one signed, is because he doesn't sign them...at least not in recent memory. The book itself is out of print and he won't allow it to be republished.

He MIGHT sign it (you never know), but it's much more likely that he wouldn't, and you might lose your chance...it's not worth the risk.

Plus, the upside isn't worthwhile...a signed first of Night Shift, or Shining...any of those will be worth more than a Bachman paperback, Rage or not.

I agree with your logic, but can you expand on why "He won't sign" a copy of "Rage"? Particular reason? Or just in general?

Patrick
08-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Bill, my vague understanding is that after the Columbine massacre, he decided that RAGE hit too close to home, and therefore he would no longer allow it to be printed and that he would not sign copies of it.

Others may have a completely different, or at least more nuanced, understanding and can correct me as needed.

Patrick
08-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Hey folks....newbie here. Been hiding in the shadows and checking things out when I had the chance over the last couple of years. Anyway, I think I have some tix to the main event coming. Hoping for a "golden ticket", lol. Like about 2000 other people. Maybe you will welcome a newcomer before the event starts?

Welcome to TDT.org and to Calvin's Corner, Jud! Hope you stay out of the shadows and join in the discussions!

- Patrick

jhanic
08-22-2011, 06:45 AM
Bill, my vague understanding is that after the Columbine massacre, he decided that RAGE hit too close to home, and therefore he would no longer allow it to be printed and that he would not sign copies of it.

Others may have a completely different, or at least more nuanced, understanding and can correct me as needed.

I also heard that a copy of Rage was found in one of the boy's lockers.

John

Garrell
08-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Rage has been "attached" in one way or another to 4 different HS shooting incidents.

CRinVA
08-22-2011, 09:44 AM
I received two tickets today to the Stephen King event at George Mason Univ. Unfortunately, no Golden ticket!@ BUT, I am still working on that from a few different fronts!

Rahfa
08-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Rage has been "attached" in one way or another to 4 different HS shooting incidents.

Yeah, his decision actually predated Columbine, and has been out of print for awhile.

On the other hand, I'm not sure there's any first-hand account of him refusing to sign it...so maybe he would? But, it's just not worth the risk, and especially the awkwardness if he does refuse...no telling if he'd sign another book instead, or if you'd miss your chance.

Bev Vincent
08-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Yeah, knowing his feelings about the book, would you really want to wave that red flag in front of him at a signing?

Ricky
08-22-2011, 10:57 AM
I'd suggest bringing Rage if it's your top priority, but bringing a back-up book just in case he declines to sign it.

CRinVA
08-22-2011, 11:36 AM
OK Now I am officially "Stoked!" See below!!!!!! Notice the :rock: ticket :rock: on top!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Tickets.JPG

I will be getting my First Edition Gunslinger signed.

Ari_Racing
08-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Congratulations, Bob!! My friend hasn't got me back yet, so I still don't know if I'll get one.

Did you inscribed several members just in case? :)

JudCrandall
08-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Received my "golden ticket" today as well. Now comes the big decision....what book to have signed. Kind of excited about the event now!

Ari_Racing
08-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Congratulations!

I'm really anxious now!

Ari_Racing
08-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Just received an email from my friend in VA. Received the ticket...no golden ticket sadly :(

So probably he won't be attending the event anyway. He was just doing me a favor to get my book signed, so if there's no signing, probably no event either.

CRinVA
08-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Ari I had my wife sign up at work and my daughter and now I have 6 event tickets and one Golden Ticket. I may be converting a few friends to becoming King lovers! If nothing else they will be seeing his award and acceptance speech.

Ari_Racing
08-22-2011, 04:01 PM
:) Awesome!

I realized I had to sign up more than one friends....after the link was no longer available. :D Shit happens.

Merlin1958
08-22-2011, 05:11 PM

Ahh, that makes sense. Shoulda put 2+2 together for my self, but I guess my mind was set in another frame. Thanks, Patrick for reminding me!!!!

:doh:

johnsmith87
08-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Putting out an inquiry for a golden ticket. If anyone has any extras or knows where I can buy one, please let me know. Am willing to pay any price.

mikejess
08-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Yahoo! I got two event tickets and a golden ticket. I will be flying in from Portland Oregon, does anyone know a good hotel near George Mason University?

Cook
08-25-2011, 04:26 AM
Yahoo! I got two event tickets and a golden ticket. I will be flying in from Portland Oregon, does anyone know a good hotel near George Mason University?

Did you actually receive them in the mail yet?
stay at the hotel on campus.

Randall Flagg
08-25-2011, 06:01 AM
The George Mason Conference Center. It is on campus and very close to the venue.

mikejess
08-25-2011, 04:02 PM
I received my event tickets and golden ticket on Tuesday this week. I was very surprized because I was not sure what to expect. I thought I might get an email, but the tickets showed up very quickly. Now I need to decide what book to take. The books I am considering are a copy of 999 that is signed by all authors except King, a limited of Riding the Bullet, and a first edition of The Stand. I have some others.

I have been reading and collecting Stephen King and many other books for over 30 years, but these are my first forum postings.

Thanks for the recommendation on the hotel. My wife and I are going to take a long weekend and do some site seeing. I have never been to the area before.

Randall Flagg
08-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Remember that they will likely enforce the one book per person rule. You and your wife should get two books signed. If there is any doubt as to whether King will sihgn a book-Rage, 999 etc. I would suggest you bring a backup title. " 'Tis better to bring three and leave with two, than two and leave with one" (Mark Twain).

JK on the quote.