PDA

View Full Version : The Event: NBC's "Lost"?

Merlin1958
10-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Anyone out there watching "The Event" on NBC? I thought it started out with a bang, but now I'm beginning to have doubts regarding the story.

Any Lost-Junkie's giving this a twirl? Anyone see any "Lost" similarities as I do? Anyone care? How did "Cary" leave the ER and end up imprisoned at Innostranka? Was it something she said, ya think?

I think this has some potential, but I'm wondering if maybe they are trying just a bit too hard to be the new "Lost". 6 epi's in and we have gotten very little it seems. Feels like they switched gears to focus on "Characters", which by the way, they certainly have no shortage thereof.

I've got mixed feelings on this one, but I'm gonna hang in for the season. Any thoughts out there?

:orely:

ICry4Oy
10-26-2010, 08:36 AM
I've watched all episodes and have enjoyed it very much so far.

I said in another thread that if everyone would stop trying to compare it to or make it the next Lost they'd enjoy it a lot more.

OchrisO
10-26-2010, 08:41 AM
I can see how it is Lost-like in the jumping around in time a lot, but I think that is just going to be a common mechanic in general these days. I think that, following the latest episode(the one with the collapsing building), the alien stuff is going to be much more prominent and it will be less Lost-like.

haunted.lunchbox
10-26-2010, 08:45 AM
I watched the first two episodes, and I may end up watching more. There were things I both liked and disliked about it.

I Liked:

1. Whoever the actress is that is playing the 'leader' the the prisoners is awesome. Sometimes I cringe at who gets cast in roles for women because they give these beautiful women roles when they can't act, this woman if very pretty, and she's an awesome actress.

2. Original story line, very unpredictable.

3. President is a good actor as well.

I Dislike:

1. Whoever is playing the lead male character, that is looking for his gf, I just can't stand him. He is the reason I stopped watching.

2. I don't want it to end up like Lost having a ton of crazy questions. I had no problem with Lost being like this, I just don't know if I can sit through another show like this.

3. There isn't enough main characters I like and feel sympathetic towards.

I loved Lost, and I don't feel like I judge it harshly because I loved Lost.

Merlin1958
10-26-2010, 08:46 AM
I've watched all episodes and have enjoyed it very much so far.

I said in another thread that if everyone would stop trying to compare it to or make it the next Lost they'd enjoy it a lot more.

Good point. I guess I really don't compare it to "Lost" (as I was one of those "So disappointed I feel like I wasted 6 years of my life" guys), but it's hard not to identify some of the trends established by Lost that are now a "blueprint". But, you're right, that's niether here nor there.

I too, have for the most part, enjoyed the season so far. It's just that in the last few epi's they have felt like they are "dragging it out" a bit. Also, lord the amount of characters!!!! Hopefully its all part of some grand scheme and they will tie it up and bring it back on point. Right now, I can't shake the feeling that the story is "meandering" a bit.

Merlin1958
10-26-2010, 08:50 AM
1. Whoever the actress is that is playing the 'leader' the the prisoners is awesome. Sometimes I cringe at who gets cast in roles for women because they give these beautiful women roles when they can't act, this woman if very pretty, and she's an awesome actress.

Its "Cary/Carrie" from "ER" the Medical Director with the hip problem that required a crutch.

haunted.lunchbox
10-26-2010, 09:03 AM

Its "Cary/Carrie" from "ER" the Medical Director with the hip problem that required a crutch.

I've never seen ER but I can get behind that actress. It's so frustrating when I see an actress not right for a role. Perfect example is in Supernatural, if you've seen this show, there is a character named Jo. She is pretty, and blonde, and not the type I want to see hunting demons. The need more actresses like Mila Kunis who can pull off pretty and acting well.

candy
10-26-2010, 09:06 AM
I just caught the first two episodes over here in the UK, i am enjoying it so far. It did remind me a little of lost with the time jumping backwards and forwards, but i am hoping the answers are going to be more straight forward??-

as in they tell you what the bloody hell is going on?:wtf:

haunted.lunchbox
10-26-2010, 09:09 AM
I just caught the first two episodes over here in the UK, i am enjoying it so far. It did remind me a little of lost with the time jumping backwards and forwards, but i am hoping the answers are going to be more straight forward??-

as in they tell you what the bloody hell is going on?:wtf:

That's another thing that irked me, the time jumping. It was just too much choppiness for a show I wasn't too invested in.

Mattrick
10-26-2010, 09:26 AM
3. President is a good actor as well.

That's because Blair Underwood rules.

I'll watch this on DVD and if I like it I'll start watching season 2 on DVD. It's on Monday's right? That's wrestling time. And unless this show is as good as 24 I won't be watching the midnight replay of wrastlin.

Also hate new shows being compared to Lost. Lost is on it's own. They can say it's a mystery driven show, but that doesn't make it like Lost.

Bev Vincent
10-26-2010, 09:38 AM
I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but I'm hanging in there. I expect it will get canceled or jump the shark before too long, though.

Merlin1958
10-26-2010, 10:50 AM
I think they just announced that NBC ordered more episodes or a second season, but I'm not positive. Although they better start getting somewhere soon with this story!!!

Bev Vincent
10-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Well that's encouraging. I was so sure this was going to go the way of FlashForward.

haunted.lunchbox
10-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Well that's encouraging. I was so sure this was going to go the way of FlashForward.

I really liked Flash Forward; however, they had such a long break between episodes I kind of forgot about it.

ICry4Oy
10-26-2010, 11:59 AM
I liked FF a lot too but I think its' biggest problem was that they revolved the entire show around the most boring character.

Merlin1958
10-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Yeah, they ought to check the thinking on these "mini-hiatus's" especially for new long-running story shows. The Event is gone for 2 weeks after 6 episodes!!!

flaggwalkstheline
10-26-2010, 03:46 PM
The Event seems like one of the shows trying very hard to be "the next Lost"

none of them are, not Heroes, not Daybreak and not the Event

mystima
10-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Been watching since it came out and I think I said on another thread that my hubby is a big WWE fan soooooo...I have to wait a day to watch on hulu or on demand. like the way they bring all the stories together and the recent plot twist. I believe that the big thing with the series is that they are here to create hybrid children.I also like Jason Ritter. Not because he is John Ritter's son but because he has something about him that we will see later on as his character grows with the show.

Bev Vincent
10-27-2010, 02:10 AM
Collapsing the building made for a nice special effect, but if they can move an airplane thousands of miles surely they can be more subtle than that?

Supposedly (like on Lost) they just want to get home again. I think that's a goal that the people on Earth would endorse.

OchrisO
10-27-2010, 02:28 AM
I don't think they were trying to be subtle that time.
I think they were trying to say: "maybe you pathetic subhumans shouldn't follow us anymore." I think it comes down to the methods of Sophia and Thomas. Sophia wants to be sneaky and methodical. Thomas seems to think they can just do what they want because they have more power, despite being a small community.

I also don't expect that they just want to get home. Of course they would tell the government that. That is the difference between being locked up and being tortured for weaknesses.

haunted.lunchbox
10-27-2010, 03:55 AM
I think they were trying to say: "maybe you pathetic subhumans shouldn't follow us anymore." I think it comes down to the methods of Sophia and Thomas. Sophia wants to be sneaky and methodical. Thomas seems to think they can just do what they want because they have more power, despite being a small community.

I also don't expect that they just want to get home. Of course they would tell the government that. That is the difference between being locked up and being tortured for weaknesses.

I'm not caught up on the series, is it possible they are from the future? That's what I thought after seeing episode 1 & 2.

Mattrick
10-27-2010, 03:55 AM
Been watching since it came out and I think I said on another thread that my hubby is a big WWE fan soooooo

How is he enjoying the Nexus storyline with John Cena?

OchrisO
10-27-2010, 04:04 AM

I'm not caught up on the series, is it possible they are from the future? That's what I thought after seeing episode 1 & 2.

My roommate and I were talking about that today, actually. He thinks that might be the case, but neither of us can decide. It is entirely possible. Of course, they could be anything from Aliens to Future Humans to Lost Atlanteans at this point. In the latest episode, a reporter refers to them as something sort of specific, but I won't say what, since you haven't caught up yet.

Bev Vincent
10-27-2010, 05:11 AM
Their DNA is sufficiently different to support the idea that they're alien. They are as different from us genetically as we are from chimpanzees. I suppose they could be genetically modified future humans, but I don't see that as a necessity. They're wreaking havoc with the timeline if they're from the future.

haunted.lunchbox
10-27-2010, 05:17 AM
Their DNA is sufficiently different to support the idea that they're alien. They are as different from us genetically as we are from chimpanzees. I suppose they could be genetically modified future humans, but I don't see that as a necessity. They're wreaking havoc with the timeline if they're from the future.

It doesn't have to be genetic modification, it could have been evolution. Maybe they are thousands of years in the future, and their genes changed to adapt to future conditions. Maybe they were so secretive because they need to change the timeline, but not much of it, just one specific part, and after they were held captive for so long they just started saying what the hell and didn't care anymore. I have no idea, I'm so far behind.

Bev Vincent
10-27-2010, 05:42 AM
Evolution on that level would take tens of thousands of years or more.

haunted.lunchbox
10-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Evolution on that level would take tens of thousands of years or more.

Who says they're not from tens of thousands of years in the future? Also, the length of time it takes to evolve is heavily debated. It has been theorized that a significant event can greatly rush evolution.

Merlin1958
10-27-2010, 06:48 AM

My thoughts, exactly. I initially was positive they were from the future, now not so sure. If they are then its gonna be a stretch to account for the major influences they have already had on the course of events. Still, I can't shake the idea that they are for some reason. A lot of little things, but nothing you can hang your hat on, seem to indicate that they are from the future. I guess we'll see, hopefully sooner than later.

OchrisO
10-27-2010, 01:43 PM
The "other" that is planted as a CIA agent says in the most recent episode that there is no water where he comes from, which puts me a little more in the alien camp. I suppose it could be way in the future after some crazy ecological disaster, but he says there is no water, not that it has been made unusable or whatever. Maybe they are both aliens and time travelers from a time when Mars was habitable? Or maybe they are from way in the future, when Mars has be colonized, without water, and the drastic change in environment accelerated evolution. haha.

I hope they are mole people.

Merlin1958
11-22-2010, 02:38 PM
I could be wrong, but the series is starting to feel very predictable to me. At least week to week. They manufacture a crisis, then quickly solve it and don't give you much of the story. Very "Lost" and fading fast IMHO

LadyHitchhiker
11-22-2010, 02:58 PM
I love the Event! Never could get in to Lost, and now that someone has spoiled the ending for me, I probably won't bother watching the series.

But love love love the Event!!! It was confusing at first but has truly grown on me.

Merlin1958
11-22-2010, 03:10 PM
I like it to, but I'm starting to get a little worried!!!

fernandito
11-22-2010, 03:43 PM
It annoys me that LOST's name is used in an effort to garner more fans, and by proxy higher ratings. I've spoken to a few folks online that started watching The Event, and the general consensus is that it's woefully mediocre.

Merlin1958
11-22-2010, 03:49 PM
It annoys me that LOST's name is used in an effort to garner more fans, and by proxy higher ratings. I've spoken to a few folks online that started watching The Event, and the general consensus is that it's woefully mediocre.

Well, you're right in that "The Event" is no "Lost" so far, but IMHO "Lost" in the end screwed all its long time and dedicated fans. Believe me, I am not trrying to start a debate, it's just my opinion, for what its worth. I'm one of those "I wasted 6 years of my life" guys. Sorry!!! LOL I just don't want to get into the same position again so, I guess I'm overly wary.

DoctorDodge
11-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Well, you're right in that "The Event" is no "Lost" so far, but IMHO "Lost" in the end screwed all its long time and dedicated fans. Believe me, I am not trrying to start a debate, it's just my opinion, for what its worth. I'm one of those "I wasted 6 years of my life" guys. Sorry!!! LOL I just don't want to get into the same position again so, I guess I'm overly wary.

Another reason why I'm incredibly reluctant to start any long running shows that flow as one story and why I was incredibly reluctant to start a show like Lost at all when so much depended on the ending. Now I'm watching it season by season and keeping an open mind, and if I do hate the ending, the worst I'll think is, "I've wasted a year of my life on this!" Well, not even that much: watch so many eps one after another, take out the anticipation that happened between each week, and just let the story flow one after another with season marathons. I'm hoping I'll like the ending, at least. I was lucky that the ongoing story I enjoyed had a fantastic emotional ending after only just two series, and then a nice intellectual ending with Ashes to Ashes. You might try giving those two series a go, Merlin, if you haven't already.

OchrisO
11-22-2010, 04:47 PM

I generally dv-r everything and skip commercials, but I have never heard any sort of advertising refer to it as the new Lost. When I hear that, it is from fans or just people discussing the show. I think it is mainly just because of the way it shifts in time and the nature of how it puts together the story.

Bev Vincent
11-22-2010, 05:27 PM
I gave up on The Event two weeks ago.

OchrisO
11-22-2010, 06:12 PM
I have still been watching it. I like it, but it isn't one of those shows that I would be heartbroken if it got canceled.

fernandito
11-23-2010, 09:20 AM
but IMHO "Lost" in the end screwed all its long time and dedicated fans. Believe me, I am not trrying to start a debate, it's just my opinion, for what its worth. I'm one of those "I wasted 6 years of my life" guys. Sorry!!!

Not trying to start a debate either, but I feel sorry for people who feel that they wasted 6 years of their lives on the show. Regardless of how the show ended, I wouldn't trade the incredible journey I had with those characters for anything in the world. It's the journey, not the destination ...

...I have never heard any sort of advertising refer to it as the new Lost. When I hear that, it is from fans or just people discussing the show.

Actually, it was the commercials and/or advertisements that were putting it across as such.

"Critics are calling The Event the new LOST!"
"If 24 and LOST had a baby, it would be The Event."

Ricky
11-23-2010, 02:30 PM
It's the journey, not the destination ...

Well aren't you the little Damon Lindelof. :lol:

fernandito
11-23-2010, 02:40 PM
I have the same glasses too :P

Merlin1958
11-23-2010, 03:46 PM
It's the journey, not the destination ...

Well aren't you the little Damon Lindelof. :lol:

LOL Nice one Ricky!!!

Conversely, Feve, I feel sorry for the folks who believe "Lost" was great. It was a long con, IMHO and Darlton was the Paul newman/Robert Redford team pulling off the "Sting".
LOL

However this thread is not about "Lost" it's about "The Event"

fernandito
11-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Don't feel sorry for us, we're able to remember ... and let go ... ;)

Merlin1958
11-23-2010, 03:59 PM

Umm Okey Dokey!!!><

Pssst!! Wanna buy the rights to the Brooklyn Bridge? Cheap?:orely:

Just Kidding!!!! :P

Ricky
11-23-2010, 04:09 PM

Here, I found you a new friend:

http://i52.tinypic.com/30k3nza.png

fernandito
11-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Gary Busey !??!!?

Merlin1958
11-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Gary Busey !??!!?

LOL Well, at least this thread is good for a few laughs!!!!!

:P:P:P

mystima
11-29-2010, 12:26 AM
found this on yahoo's tv blog...hate to see it go.

"Still, other newcomers are simply limping along. Among them: NBC's "The Event," which has seen fan interest and ratings tumble over the past couple of months. Coming out of the gate strong with more than 11 million viewers in September, the high-concept series billed as "'Lost' meets '24'" has been hemorrhaging viewers ever since. Recent episodes have averaged fewer than 6 million viewers, and the network recently announced plans to pull the series for three months beginning in December."

Ricky
11-29-2010, 03:03 PM
I hope this is just a winter hiatus and it doesn't pull a Happy Town.

pathoftheturtle
11-29-2010, 03:20 PM
...the commercials and/or advertisements ... were putting it across as... "If 24 and LOST had a baby, it would be The Event."Is that an exact quote? :lol:

Ricky
11-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Yeah, it's on the commercial for it. Kind of true though...if the LOST parent was born defected. :rofl:

Merlin1958
11-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Got a feeling this one is going down. Shame too, they were just dolling the story out way to slow and manufacturing drama along the way.

Ricky
11-30-2010, 01:29 PM
The fall finale last night was really good, imo!

fernandito
11-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Yeah, it's on the commercial for it. Kind of true though...if the LOST parent was born defected. :rofl:

Bravo sir, bravo. :D

haunted.lunchbox
11-30-2010, 01:48 PM
I only watched like 2 episodes. Can someone spoil it for me so I at least know who they are?

Ricky
11-30-2010, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't mind, haunted.lunchbox, but we still don't know. :lol:

haunted.lunchbox
11-30-2010, 01:59 PM
WTF!

fernandito
11-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Are the cliffhangers for each ep as good as LOST's ?

That was a joke, btw.

Ricky
11-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Well, I'll answer anyway: No. In the case of The Event, the cliffhangers are good, but it seems like they're utilized simply to be cliffhangers and keep the viewer hanging on, unlike LOST where it...well, it's not LOST. :D

Merlin1958
11-30-2010, 02:11 PM

That was a joke, btw.

"Lost" turned out to be a big joke!!!!!!!

haunted.lunchbox
11-30-2010, 02:12 PM

That was a joke, btw.

Hey now! Them be fightin' words!

Merlin1958
11-30-2010, 02:17 PM

That was a joke, btw.

Sorry, but I had such high hopes for "Lost" and it just disappointed the living shit outta me!!!! Looks like this one is going down the tube as well. Why, oh why can't TV find a writer (s) worth a damn that actually have a lucid, well thought out story????

haunted.lunchbox
11-30-2010, 02:19 PM

That was a joke, btw.

Sorry, but I had such high hopes for "Lost" and it just disappointed the living shit outta me!!!! Looks like this one is going down the tube as well. Why, oh why can't TV find a writer (s) worth a damn that actually have a lucid, well thought out story????

Sometimes there is order in chaos.

pathoftheturtle
11-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Anyway, this show might not be a good example, but I don't think it's so bad in theory for the marketers to compare a sci-fi show to a past successful one. That's kind of the point of having a success... if you want more sci-fi on TV, it is to be expected. Would you really be content to decide that nothing could ever equal Lost and they should all forget about it?

Merlin1958
11-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Anyway, this show might not be a good example, but I don't think it's so bad in theory for the marketers to compare a sci-fi show to a past successful one. That's kind of the point of having a success... if you want more sci-fi on TV, it is to be expected. Would you really be content to decide that nothing could ever equal Lost and they should all forget about it?

Very true. Good point!!!!!!!!!!!!

OchrisO
11-30-2010, 06:13 PM
I think the problem with this show and many like it that have been canceled (Happy Town, Defying Gravity, Flash Forward and a bunch of others) is that many shows, especially sci-fi shows, need a good amount of time to set up characters, back story and concepts. TV these days, in the world of Reality Television and the like, is increasingly becoming about instant gratification and for the networks, instant ratings. Our instant gratification culture causes some viewers to give up on a show if it isn't amazing to them for every episode right out of the gate and networks increasingly pull shows for hiatuses if there is any sort of drop in viewership. These hiatuses always hurt the shows because, when it is a new show, people tend to forget about it by the time it comes back on, or lose interest. It is a pretty horrible cycle that keeps happening over and over to potentially great shows. It is all because of the networks' desire for more and more and more advertising dollars. It makes me sad.

haunted.lunchbox
11-30-2010, 07:55 PM
All the shows I like get cancelled. Liked Happy Town, Flash Forward, and Persons Unknown and they were all canned. I should just stop all emotional attachments to anything.

LadyHitchhiker
11-30-2010, 08:53 PM
:( It's sad but true. Almost all the tv shows I like end up being cancelled. *sniffles* Far before their prime!

Ricky
12-01-2010, 11:04 AM
I think the problem with this show and many like it that have been canceled (Happy Town, Defying Gravity, Flash Forward and a bunch of others) is that many shows, especially sci-fi shows, need a good amount of time to set up characters, back story and concepts. TV these days, in the world of Reality Television and the like, is increasingly becoming about instant gratification and for the networks, instant ratings. Our instant gratification culture causes some viewers to give up on a show if it isn't amazing to them for every episode right out of the gate and networks increasingly pull shows for hiatuses if there is any sort of drop in viewership. These hiatuses always hurt the shows because, when it is a new show, people tend to forget about it by the time it comes back on, or lose interest. It is a pretty horrible cycle that keeps happening over and over to potentially great shows. It is all because of the networks' desire for more and more and more advertising dollars. It makes me sad.

Agree with just about everything you said there.

All the shows I like get cancelled. Liked Happy Town, Flash Forward, and Persons Unknown and they were all canned. I should just stop all emotional attachments to anything.

That's how I feel whenever I think about starting a new TV show. :lol:

At least Persons Unknown was a mini-series, so we got to see the whole run of the show; there was never any talk of a "Season 2."

Merlin1958
12-01-2010, 01:59 PM
They should bring back "Carnivale" especially in light of the success "Lost" had.

fernandito
12-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Would you really be content to decide that nothing could ever equal Lost and they should all forget about it?

Yes.

haunted.lunchbox
12-01-2010, 03:46 PM
They should bring back "Carnivale" especially in light of the success "Lost" had.

I really enjoyed Carnivale. There was a lot of good acting, and it was very well done. I hear part of the demise is that everything was shot at a time where they really couldn't put any plugs in the show. Products will be advertised throughout several different series, but when you have a series that is set at a certain time you can't have many product plugs, but I'm not sure how true that is.

pathoftheturtle
12-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I think the problem with this show and many like it that have been canceled (Happy Town, Defying Gravity, Flash Forward and a bunch of others) is that many shows, especially sci-fi shows, need a good amount of time to set up characters, back story and concepts. TV these days, in the world of Reality Television and the like, is increasingly becoming about instant gratification and for the networks, instant ratings. Our instant gratification culture causes some viewers to give up on a show if it isn't amazing to them for every episode right out of the gate and networks increasingly pull shows for hiatuses if there is any sort of drop in viewership. These hiatuses always hurt the shows because, when it is a new show, people tend to forget about it by the time it comes back on, or lose interest. It is a pretty horrible cycle that keeps happening over and over to potentially great shows. It is all because of the networks' desire for more and more and more advertising dollars. It makes me sad.Yar. T.V. stinks. It's technology which could be used for such good... but, noooo....

Would you really be content to decide that nothing could ever equal Lost and they should all forget about it?

Yes.Hunh. So you imagine your grandchildren will be asking, "What was it like to be alive when Lost was actually on broadcast?" :lol:
Or you think that once they really do forget all about it we'll just get more and more shows trying to be the next Sex and the City instead?

Merlin1958
12-03-2010, 01:21 AM

I really enjoyed Carnivale. There was a lot of good acting, and it was very well done. I hear part of the demise is that everything was shot at a time where they really couldn't put any plugs in the show. Products will be advertised throughout several different series, but when you have a series that is set at a certain time you can't have many product plugs, but I'm not sure how true that is.

"Officially" they chalked it up to poor ratings and slow sales of the DVD's although, how ratings for a premium pay TV channels come into play like that, I have no idea. Nor do I understand how they expect to sell DVD's to a show that they never finish. Nevertheless, that was the party line at the time, as I was one of those involved in the massive "Bring Back Carnivale" campaign that rolled on from the end of season 1 through months following the season 2 ending (which wasn't an ending). LOL

In addition, the show apparently cost a fortune to produce as the sets were constantly changing.

HBO, you gotta love em!!!!!!! :P:pullhair::P

Merlin1958
12-03-2010, 01:25 AM
I know its off-topic, but apparently Dan Knauf the creator also had a well-thought out and written story arc to take them through 6 full season's. He wasn't "winging" it as he went like those Lost guys.