PDA

View Full Version : Frasier

Mattrick
10-24-2010, 07:02 AM
I've been watching this show since I was a kid. But I never watched it as it aired, just repeats. So the last few seasons I haven't really seen. My friend has them all and simply hooked.

Anyone else love this fantastic show? It's just so good. My cheeks hurt from watching too much of it the last couple days. The episode where Martin told a woman he was gay and it escalates comedically was too good. I don't remember laughing this much at TV that isn't South Park in a long time.

I'm almost halfway through season 8. I've never seen the series finale or what led to it so I'm eagerly anticipating it.

Bethany
10-24-2010, 07:14 AM
I love this show! I haven't watched in several years :(

candy
10-24-2010, 07:20 AM
i loved this show, i was lucky enough that comedy central aired the series in a row once so i got to watch them all in sequence.

I especially loved that the whole show didnt just revolve around Frasier but his whole loony family.

Bethany
10-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Maris may be the best character ever.

John Blaze
10-24-2010, 08:16 AM
For someone who is never seen?

I love this show. Niles and Frasier and their sibling rivalry are hilarious. Their dad being a down home kind of guy is great, and Daphne, she's living proof that English women are hot and crazy (:D Lisa!)

Just 3 days ago I put the theme song on my FB. I've been wanting to get a Jack Russell terrier and name him Eddie forever too.

Bethany
10-24-2010, 08:20 AM
The fact that Maris is never seen makes her all the funnier.

Mattrick
10-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Yeah apparently they wanted to show Maris in season two but with everything said about her, they couldn't possibly find the right woman. So they thought it would be best for the audience to imagine it.

What I love about Frasier is how they let the differing personalities control the flow of scenes. Not many sitcoms give scenes half the show to build up either comedically or dramatically. It's the only sitcom where the dramatic scenes are very well done and written. John Mahoney is a wonderful actor and he is what makes the show whole, in my opinion. If only Frasier and Niles could analyze themselves. lol, they are two characters riddled with complexes.

John_and_Yoko
10-24-2010, 11:13 AM
What about the "Ham Radio" episode? That REALLY cracked me up the first time I saw it! :lol: Especially Gil's constant attempts to get his "boyhood in Surrey" speech in despite Frasier's attempts to cut it, and Niles's killing everyone off at the end rather than sticking to the script.

pathoftheturtle
10-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Jeez, I'm old. Seems like just the other day that they introduced him on "Cheers."

Yeah, I enjoyed "Fraiser." It was alright.

ICry4Oy
10-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Any episode that took place at the cabin was greatness - especially the one with Guy the ski instructor :thumbsup: There are just so many classic Frasier episodes my head is spinning. The one where for about the first 5 or so minutes Niles doesn't say a word but had me litterally wanting to piss myself laughing...The one with Frasier as a clown where his patient is terrified of them and he gives his dad a heart attack...

...and yes even the supporting characters - Lowell, Gil, Bulldog...:dance:

John_and_Yoko
10-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Any episode that took place at the cabin was greatness - especially the one with Guy the ski instructor :thumbsup: There are just so many classic Frasier episodes my head is spinning. The one where for about the first 5 or so minutes Niles doesn't say a word but had me litterally wanting to piss myself laughing...The one with Frasier as a clown where his patient is terrified of them and he gives his dad a heart attack...

...and yes even the supporting characters - Lowell, Gil, Bulldog...:dance:

Who's Lowell? Or do you mean Noel?

ICry4Oy
10-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Yes! him :unsure:

Sam
10-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Noel, who could faint at will.

One of my favorites was Frasier's reunion with his first wife Nanny G. That was absolutely hilarious, especially when Frasier had to pretend to be Nanny G's baby brother. :wtf:

Girlystevedave
10-24-2010, 06:15 PM
This was a good show. I still watch the reruns when I catch them on tv.
And Martin was always my favorite. The way he was SO different from Frasier and Niles.
It's pretty cool when you think of how successful the show was for a spin-off too. :)

John_and_Yoko
10-24-2010, 07:59 PM
I liked Martin because he was the first old man I've seen in a recent sitcom who wasn't a completely loathsome stereotype but an actual human character--a suitable foil to Frasier and Niles.

John Blaze
10-24-2010, 08:58 PM
I liked Martin because he was the first old man I've seen in a recent sitcom who wasn't a completely loathsome stereotype but an actual human character--a suitable foil to Frasier and Niles.
this!

John_and_Yoko
10-24-2010, 11:50 PM
this!

:D

Glad we agree! Too many old men in sitcoms, whether they're fathers or grandfathers or whatever, are just hedonistic yellers and stalkers and there's no SOUL to them.

Not so with Martin Crane. I've seen him be a complex person with complex emotions. Sometimes he falls into those stereotypes a little bit, but at least there's a foundation somewhere.

I particularly loved the conversation between him and Frasier in "The Wizard and Roz". A rare instance where they had something to bond over because of similar experiences, and it wasn't being done for laughs (although some laughs did come out of it). That was just awesome. :)

Speaking of that episode, I love Dr. Tewksbury as well, and wish he'd been in more episodes.

John Blaze
10-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Oh yes, compare Marty to the father in law on King of Queens, or the dad on Raymond....no comparison.

Hello Hollywood, old does not equal garrulous.

Mattrick
10-25-2010, 11:47 AM
I always thought Martin was the lightning rod of the show.

Just finished Season 8, getting Season 9 tonight.

Darkthoughts
10-25-2010, 12:08 PM
and Daphne, she's living proof that English women are hot and crazy (:D Lisa!)
:D :couple:

John Mahoney is a wonderful actor and he is what makes the show whole, in my opinion.
Completely!! I saw my favourite episode of all time last week, where Martin accidentally gets stoned after eating a hash brownie - you have to track this ep down, it is amazing :D

Any episode that took place at the cabin was greatness - especially the one with Guy the ski instructor :thumbsup:
:lol: That was a perfectly performed farce, so awesome!

Bethany
10-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Oh yes, compare Marty to the father in law on King of Queens, or the dad on Raymond....no comparison.

This just made me think of something I hate :P Go find the post.

Mattrick
10-25-2010, 06:36 PM
[quote=He-Man;561168]
Completely!! I saw my favourite episode of all time last week, where Martin accidentally gets stoned after eating a hash brownie - you have to track this ep down, it is amazing :D

Yeah my friend made me watch that one specifically. When Eddie comes on the TV talking with Frasers voice he was all OMG and the way Niles thought he was high but wasn't haha.

Girlystevedave
10-25-2010, 09:24 PM
I remembered that one. But had to track down the clip anyway.
Man, Martin is great. And you guys are right about him not being the stereotypical "old man".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHTC9O92SRM

Did anyone see the episode where Frasier has the cat and over the course of the episode he turns into a "cat lady"?

Mattrick
10-25-2010, 10:39 PM
I love the credits to that episode when Frasier opens the door and it's a pizza guy with like 6 pizzas and Martin comes running out.

Thanks for the clip. I won't get to that episode for a few weeks it's in the last season. That clip is an example of letting a scene build. The comedy from Martin not knowing he's high and Niles thinking he is and building to the revelation. Frasiers deliver was perfect. "That was a POT brownie. You're stoned off your ass!" to Martin, "You're as sober as I am!" to Niles.

John_and_Yoko
10-25-2010, 11:58 PM

Are you ME? :unsure:

Those were the exact same two characters I was thinking of!

John Blaze
10-26-2010, 12:19 PM

Are you ME? :unsure:

Those were the exact same two characters I was thinking of!
:couple:

ICry4Oy
12-02-2010, 01:25 PM
How could we possibly discuss Frasier without mentioning the deliciously over-the-top Bebe Glazer? Her description of her enjoyment of smoking is an all-time classic! ...and the episode where she's in her hotel room with Frasier negotiating his contract and the Faustian scene of her coming out in her nightgown...

Jon
12-02-2010, 03:40 PM
His wife is the best...from Cheers.