PDA

View Full Version : TGDT - Semi Finals - Scorsese vs Hitchcock

fernandito
10-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Martin Scorsese's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000217/#director)
Notable films: Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Shutter Island, The Departed
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/board%20pics/BDOAT/MartinScorsese.jpg

Alfred Hitchcock's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000033/)
Notable films : Vertigo, Psycho, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Rebecca
http://www.filmsquish.com/guts/files/images/hitchcock3.jpg

Reminder : In case of a tie in the polls, the posts below will serve as the final tie breaker so please make sure to clearly indicate whom you're voting for !

Jean
10-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Hitchcock!!!!!!!!!!!

mae
10-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Hitchcock!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed.

turtlex
10-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Wow, these just keep getting more difficult for me!!

Holding off to think about this.

:grouphug:

alkanto
10-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Hitchcock

fernandito
10-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Scorsese.

Jean
10-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Wow, these just keep getting more difficult for me!!

Holding off to think about this.

:grouphug:

there's nothing to think about. Just do the opposite of what feverish has done.

turtlex
10-09-2010, 01:31 PM
:lol: Gee, I never really thought to vote that way!!! :grouphug:

ETA: I have Rebecca and Liftboat in my head, so maybe I need to go re-watch some Marty to even out my choosing.

fernandito
10-09-2010, 01:44 PM
May I suggest Raging Bull and/or Taxi Driver ? :D

Odetta
10-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Hitch

Sam
10-09-2010, 03:21 PM
I'll be abstaining from this vote as I truly think neither is deserving of the title in question.

turtlex
10-09-2010, 04:51 PM
May I suggest Raging Bull and/or Taxi Driver ? :D

Actually, I watched Taxi Driver not too long ago ... but was thinking about watching Raging Bull ... since it came up in another thread. Also, wondering if I can find The King of Comedy.

Emily
10-09-2010, 05:40 PM
I love Raging Bull, but Hitchcock is my man.

Heather19
10-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Hitchcock!

Jean
10-09-2010, 11:44 PM
things are starting to look up...

Mattrick
10-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Not going to vote. Haven't seen enough hitchcock to potentially make or break this thing. Though, in case of a tie breaker:

Scorcese.

Melike
10-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Hitchcock.

frik
10-10-2010, 03:57 AM
Sir Alfred !

sk

Jean
10-10-2010, 03:58 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

Still Servant
10-10-2010, 06:11 AM
Nolan will not sit long on the throne. I swear it.

fernandito
10-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Wow, didn't think it would be this lopsided.

Marty ... :cry:

turtlex
10-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Have been giving it a lot of thought and went with Scorsese. When it comes down to a film to film comparison, I just have more Scorsese films on my "favs" list.

Heather19
10-10-2010, 01:44 PM

I'll be extremely surprised if Hitchcock doesn't win the whole thing.

Still Servant
10-10-2010, 03:21 PM

Me too. He's been the favorite in this tourney the whole time I think.

Don't underestimate the Nolan love. It's reached an all time high.

frik
10-10-2010, 10:18 PM

Agree.
But if it's going to be a choice between Hitchcock and Kubrick..:orely:
Those are my two absolute favorites - impossible to choose!

sk

fernandito
10-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Voters :

What is your favorite film by either director, and why ?

Jean
10-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Hitchcock: The Lady Vanishes.
Scorsese: none

fernandito
10-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Hitchcock : Rear Window. A perfect blend of cinematography and character study.

Scorsese : Goodfellas. It's raw power is undeniable, and it's ability to pull the rug out from under you at the most unexpected moment is remarkable.

turtlex
10-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Hmmmm. Favorite and why.

Scorsese : Goodfellas. It's has depth and a breadth of storytelling that I truly enjoyed. The performances are dead on, and the blocking just outstanding. Not to mention, the million quotable, pitch-perfect delivery lines. Scorsese allowed his actors to truly inhabit the characters. There's not a mis-step among them.

Hitchcock : Lifeboat. I'm not sure why this is my favorite Hitch film, but it is. Something about 99% of it taking place on a small watercraft, but not feeling so much claustrophobic, but just so tension filled. It's my favorite Tallulah Bankhead performance.

Heather19
10-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Scorsese - I think my personal favorite would be Shutter Island.

Hitchcock - There's so many that I love. But my two favorites would probably be Rear Window and Rebecca. When it comes to those two it's hard for me to pick one over the other.

Jean
10-11-2010, 10:38 AM
that is exactly why I said The Lady Vanishes. Or else I would have to think of about a dozen others, in addition to those two

Emily
10-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Scorcese: Raging Bull. Of all Scorsese's films that I've seen, I think Raging Bull sticks with me the most. The psychological turmoil is extremely powerful to watch, and is something that I think he nailed at the time but wasn't able to get back for years afterwards.

Hitchcock: Rear Window. Hitchcock's ability to make you feel completely safe and then completely trapped and terrified within the same apartment over the course of 2 hours is something that still amazes me after at least 15 viewings.

pathoftheturtle
10-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Hitchcock: You can hardly go wrong. He's such a great director, so many absolute classics.
I'm gonna say Shadow of a Doubt, 'cause I'm weird like that, but it's tough to choose.

Scorsese: The Last Temptation of Christ. Everyone thinks this film is no big deal when they look at it objectively. Hogwash.

mae
10-11-2010, 01:40 PM
I'd list the entire Hitchcok filmography. But out of that I'd point out Psycho, Rear Window, The Strangers on a Train, Rope, Dial M for Murder, North by Northwest, Vertigo, The Birds, The Lady Vanishes, Rebecca... Need I go on? The greatest director if ever there was one.

fernandito
10-11-2010, 01:46 PM
You can go on, just as soon as you remove North by Northwest from that list ...

Emily
10-11-2010, 01:49 PM
I'll agree with that. Sub in Spellbound for North by Northwest and I'm with you.

pathoftheturtle
10-11-2010, 02:47 PM
... The 39 Steps, Notorious, The Trouble With Harry ...

Brice
10-11-2010, 03:20 PM
hitch

Odetta
10-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Scorsese - Goodfellas

Hitch - everyone who's a Hitch fan is gonna be mad at me but I really watch The Birds over and over again, way more than any other Hitch movie, and I have seen so many

Jean
10-11-2010, 11:10 PM
I'd list the entire Hitchcok filmography. But out of that I'd point out Psycho, Rear Window, The Strangers on a Train, Rope, Dial M for Murder, North by Northwest, Vertigo, The Birds, The Lady Vanishes, Rebecca... Need I go on? The greatest director if ever there was one.

I'll agree with that. Sub in Spellbound for North by Northwest and I'm with you.

What everyone has said, plus The Man Who Knew Too Much (both versions); and, of course, Lifeboat and Rebecca (that have both already been mentioned).

Special thanks to path for listing my favorite Hitchcock film.

frik
10-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Hitchcock: North By Northwest

Scorsese: none.

sk

fernandito
10-12-2010, 09:06 AM

May I ask why, frik ?

turtlex
10-12-2010, 09:07 AM
The crop duster scene, of course! :P

fernandito
10-12-2010, 09:11 AM
:lol:

Jean
10-12-2010, 09:11 AM

May I ask why, frik ?
a mystery for me, too

turtlex
10-12-2010, 09:14 AM
If I might just interject here - I did really like North by Northwest ... I know some people consider it their favorite just because it's a very dramatic role by Cary Grant. A lot of people think of Cary Grant and think light-comedy, so seeing him in such a dramatic role, it makes the part stand out.

Jean
10-12-2010, 09:18 AM
I did like North by Northwest. I never said I didn't. But comparing with those others...

turtlex
10-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Plus, you know - I love Cary Grant. :wub:

Jean
10-12-2010, 09:25 AM
I love him, too, but there's Suspicion, for example, which I think is way more interesting than NbNW

turtlex
10-12-2010, 09:32 AM
I love him, too, but there's Suspicion, for example, which I think is way more interesting than NbNW

I'm don't know if I'd call it more interesting, but I did like Suspicion a lot. Great parts for Grant and Fontaine.

I liked the story in NbNW, and thought it was captivating. And I thought it was very well directed, just for those iconic scenes ( Mount Rushmore and the crop duster ) actually.

fernandito
10-12-2010, 10:13 AM
I did like North by Northwest. I never said I didn't. But comparing with those others...

I feel the same way, minus the liking NbN part.

turtlex
10-12-2010, 11:52 AM
:lol:

pathoftheturtle
10-12-2010, 12:12 PM

What everyone has said, plus The Man Who Knew Too Much (both versions); and, of course, Lifeboat and Rebecca (that have both already been mentioned).

Special thanks to path for listing my favorite Hitchcock film.But I thought you picked The Lady Vanishes. :unsure:
Okay, just now read The Hitchcock Thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2617) and I see you put The Trouble With Harry first there. You're welcome, anyway; I love it, although I wouldn't call it typical of his work. In any case, it does belong on the short list, IMO, to further show his range, how his directing can't be described with any one title. My own pick for favorite here is one that's perhaps a little too typical... not quite as much verve as many of the noted films of his peak years. :orely:

If I might just interject here - I did really like North by Northwest ... I know some people consider it their favorite just because it's a very dramatic role by Cary Grant. A lot of people think of Cary Grant and think light-comedy, so seeing him in such a dramatic role, it makes the part stand out.It wasn't such a dramatic role, though. Not normal CG comedy, but NbNW is still relatively lightweight entertainment.
I did like North by Northwest. I never said I didn't. But comparing with those others...Exactly; I bet this opinion'll be another thing illuminated by her promised detailing of reasons for picking Scorsese over Kurosawa. Maybe it's related to points you once made --
...with The Rear Window, or The Lady Vanishes, - they are all very warm, and they have a lot of everything, just like a real movie should, in the bear's opinion; with their optimism and that multi-dimensional quality a movie will never have unless there is humor there... and they tell human stories which I personally find immensely touching... not at all like the deadly serious, solemn Hitchcock of Vertigo or Rope or The Birds, which, frankly, always feel to me bordering on self-parody, just because of their stubborn one-dimentionality.

Now, in other news, can I go a little off the contest topic for a minute and talk about art in general? I first saw Shadow of a Doubt around 1979. I still associate it with my father, whose tastes I always respected, even when I was kind of distancing myself from them. A couple of years after that, he gave me his old comic book collection. For years, I read those on my own and bought more for myself, just watching Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day with the family. Those movies did influence me, however. I guess I never stopped believing that I myself would grow out of the pop that I was into, even though I didn't really want to consciously. Back in the 80s, we who saw some real value in things like Dungeons & Dragons were just nerds, thought of as out of touch. I disliked that, but I didn't seriously think it would ever change; I had that unconscious respect for old values. It did change, though. Now the mainstream of my grandparents' day is only dust, and now it bothers me. One day, you look around and you realize that no one is going to preserve things for you, that they won't be telling you what's supposed to be important forever, and that if you care at all, you really have to act like it. I think that may be what actually growing up is.

frik
10-13-2010, 11:39 AM

May I ask why, frik ?
a mystery for me, too

Really? We're talking about favorites here - not best of..To me, this movie has everything: it's pure eye candy, has some amazing action sequences -this was the Indiana Jones of its day- plus jaw-dropping set-pieces.
Definitely the most entertaining Hitchcock ever.

sk

pathoftheturtle
10-13-2010, 11:44 AM
To you, pure eye candy + action sequences + set-pieces = everything ?

frik
10-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Ehm....chases, fights, twists, turns, secret identities, double crosses, great dose of suspense, excellent cast, some great camera work, suave but deadly villain -ah, its rediculous and improbable plot - , wonderful dialogue...
As I said, the most entertaining Hitchcock ever.

sk

fernandito
10-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Hitchcock advances !

Jean
10-18-2010, 01:14 PM
why, of course