PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-25-2020, 09:20 AM
Also sorry to hear about your eyes.
If there is one book I am going to reread because of this virus crap, it will be THE UNCUT THE STAND.
And maybe TO YOUR SCATTERED BODIES GO
And maybe FIRESTARTER
And maybe MISERY
And maybe CUJO

Brian861
04-25-2020, 10:58 AM
Tonight I begin a special re-read. I am embarking on reading the Stand, uncut in the middle of this pandemic lockdown! crazy huh?

I dont believe I have ever read the uncut version before and it's certainly possible that I have not read the Stand since I was a teenager. It is hard for me to remember my early King reading history. I do remember being enraptured by the Stand when I first read it. It really knocked my socks off.

and now I am off to experience the Dark Chest of Wonders :rose:

Jealous! Oh to read my favorite book again for the first time uncut.

Aremag
04-25-2020, 12:13 PM
Just finished Little Heaven by Nick Cutter and I enjoyed it overall. Less grotesque than The Deep and The Troop. I am starting The Girl Who Loves Tom Gordon which for some reason I've never read while still reading The Bank then I might have to jump on the reread of The Stand Uncut.

craigobau
04-25-2020, 12:21 PM
Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett

Aremag
04-28-2020, 01:03 PM
Just started The Bank by Bentley Little. I've never read any of his books and all I know is that he seems to be not appreciated by some members here...especially a well known unboxer. I wouldn't have sought out any of his books but I received Walking Alone in a CD grab bag and The Bank in the CD ARC grab bag. I'm only a little bit into The Bank so I don't want to make any quick judgements but there is something about his writing that doesn't seem to work for me.

I've only read one Bentley Little book, The University, and it scarred me so much I've been hesitant to pick up another by him, although I do have The Store sitting on my bookshelf for if I decide to. Not sure if all his books are like this or I just picked the wrong one to start with, but it was all gratuitous sex throughout the whole book, it was so off putting. Let me know what you think of The Bank once you're finished.

Finished The Bank a couple of days ago and I was just meh about it. My mind kept going to Needful Things as I read it but it is nowhere near as enjoyable. There wasn't a lot of gratuitous sex but there was some that just added nothing to the story at all. I'll read his other book I have just because I have it but it isn't on the top of the to read pile.

Heather19
04-28-2020, 02:55 PM
Thanks. I really do hate when horror authors feel the need to toss in sex for no reason. Richard Laymon is another author that I see recommended all the time, but I've only read one book by him (and the first chapter of another one) and both were just all sex that it turned me off from reading any more of his books.

Curly
04-28-2020, 10:57 PM
The Mirror and the Light, Hilary Mantel Waited a while for this epic.

St. Troy
05-02-2020, 09:10 AM
I recently finished Once Upon A River by Diane Setterfield.

Set in the late 19th century but feeling much earlier than that (to great effect), it's an engrossing mystery with a pronounced fairy-tale feel, in which things are happening even as you wait to learn just what is going on...with satisfying results.

St. Troy
05-02-2020, 09:13 AM
I recently started Mr. Mercedes (yes, I have some catching up to do).

I'm about 150 pages in and finding it quite gripping, really enjoying it, much more than I did The Institute (not that TI was bad, not at all).

...King sure does love exaggerated stereotype old-time black person speech, doesn't he? Or he really seems to think such characters would like to speak that way. I'm not offended; it's just a strange wart (or large freckle anyway) on the face of this novel.

Ricky
05-02-2020, 09:37 AM
Mr. Mercedes is one of my favorite "new" Kings.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-02-2020, 09:42 AM
I really loved the whole MR. MERCEDES trilogy (quadrilogy?), and I do agree with you about King's characters often strange phrasing and wordplay. It's one of the things that really turned me off of the last few Dark Tower books. And words like 'sai' and 'ka-tet' and other High Speech usages just made me squirm.

Ricky
05-02-2020, 09:53 AM
Here, have a popkin, sai.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-02-2020, 09:53 AM
Yup, I am squirming.

Bulphd
05-02-2020, 05:13 PM
Reading Camera Obscura by Lavie Tidhar. Steampunkey pulp mystery. Have to finish Revival, but my lady got me Beahm's latest edition of Stephen King Companion so I am working thru that also.

Aremag
05-04-2020, 11:57 AM
Finished If It Bleeds and enjoyed it. The Life Of Chuck would have to be my favorite of the four due to it being a tad off the wall. I can do without Holly stories but if he writes more I'll read them. Starting The Devil Crept in by Ania Ahlborn and she hasn't disappointed me yet...let's see if the streak continues.

Garrell
05-04-2020, 05:17 PM
Finished Disappearance at Devil’s Rock by Paul Tremblay. It was ok but loved the other two of his that I’ve read. This one was just ok.
Started Speaks the Nightbird by Robert McCammon. Loving it so far.

Heather19
05-06-2020, 06:29 AM
Disappearance at Devil's Rock is probably my least favorite Tremblay, but it's one that's also really stuck with me. I'll be curious if it's one you think about after it's settled for a bit with you.

I've been on a bit of a reading frenzy lately. Just finished Out Behind the Barn by John Boden and Chad Lutzke. Absolutely loved it. Finishing up The Carrow Haunt by Darcey Coates who is quickly becoming a new favorite of mine. Also finally got around to reading The Stepford Wives. That one was a bit blah for me though. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it.

webstar1000
05-06-2020, 06:30 AM
Just finished Dark Advant and loved it!

daniel_pyle
05-06-2020, 08:10 AM
Finishing up The Carrow Haunt by Darcey Coates who is quickly becoming a new favorite of mine.

I've been seeing her books around for years, and they always jump out at me (especially Parasite, just because I think it has a really cool cover), but I still haven't picked one up. Of the ones you've read, which would you recommend most?

Heather19
05-06-2020, 11:17 AM
Finishing up The Carrow Haunt by Darcey Coates who is quickly becoming a new favorite of mine.

I've been seeing her books around for years, and they always jump out at me (especially Parasite, just because I think it has a really cool cover), but I still haven't picked one up. Of the ones you've read, which would you recommend most?

I haven't read Parasite yet, but it's on my list. I've only read a handful so far, but with the exception of one of them (Book 2 of her new Black Winter series) I've really enjoyed them all. My favorite so far would probably be The Haunting of Ashburn House.

daniel_pyle
05-06-2020, 12:09 PM
My favorite so far would probably be The Haunting of Ashburn House.

I'll add it to my list. Thanks!

Heather19
05-06-2020, 12:22 PM
My favorite so far would probably be The Haunting of Ashburn House.

I'll add it to my list. Thanks!

Hope you enjoy it :)

Ricky
05-06-2020, 02:44 PM
Also finally got around to reading The Stepford Wives. That one was a bit blah for me though. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it.

Aw, really? The Stepford Wives is one of my favorites.

Heather19
05-07-2020, 05:10 AM
Also finally got around to reading The Stepford Wives. That one was a bit blah for me though. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it.

Aw, really? The Stepford Wives is one of my favorites.

Yeah, I'm not sure what it was, but it just didn't fully captivate me for some reason. Have you read Rosemary's Baby?

Ricky
05-07-2020, 05:48 AM
I haven't but it's been on my list for years. I've seen the movie, so I guess that's part of what has kept me away. How close are they to each other?

Heather19
05-07-2020, 08:56 AM
I haven't read it yet, but I have it sitting on my bookshelf. Was curious how you would have compared it to The Stepford Wives. I'll let you know once I read it.

Ricky
05-07-2020, 09:07 AM
Oh, okay. I was thinking you'd read it. Yeah, definitely let me know. :)

Aremag
05-07-2020, 11:38 AM
Finished The Devil Crept In by Ania Ahlborn and her writing just hits the sweet spot for me. I'm starting The Road by Cormac McCarthy as I've seen the movie but never read the book.

Kraken
05-08-2020, 09:37 PM
The Road is great as is No Country For Old Men. I’ve also read the Border Trilogy, Blood Meridian and Child Of God by McCarthy which are all excellent.

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-09-2020, 05:23 AM
I have GOT to read NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. I love the movie and can only assume the book is better.
Anyone have a mint condition signed first edition they can give me for free?

Cook
05-09-2020, 07:03 AM
I have GOT to read NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. I love the movie and can only assume the book is better.

if you love the movie "No Country for Old Men" then you should watch "The Counselor"

ur2ndbiggestfan
05-09-2020, 07:59 AM
I've seen that.

Poor Brad Pitt!

Kraken
05-09-2020, 08:01 AM

Book is better.
I’ll just pop a nice signed copy in the post for you. If it doesn’t arrive must be due to the dodgy postal service at the moment. 😄

Hunchback Jack
05-09-2020, 11:35 AM
I just finished the next triptych of Richard Stark Parker novels - volumes 10, 11 and 12. Twelve to go.

Now reading If It Bleeds. Reading Kings prose is like being wrapped in a warm blanket.

craigobau
05-09-2020, 12:12 PM
Just finished the third story (the Holly Gibney one) in If It Bleeds and really looking forward to starting on Rats, the final story.

I actually had low expectations for this collection as the last few SK novels haven’t grabbed me, but after watching the HBO production of The Outsider, I got a new appreciation for the Holly Gibney character and this phase of King’s writing.

Hunchback Jack
05-09-2020, 12:35 PM
I'm halfway through the second story and have liked both so far.

daniel_pyle
05-09-2020, 12:47 PM
Just finished the third story (the Holly Gibney one) in If It Bleeds and really looking forward to starting on Rats, the final story.

I actually had low expectations for this collection as the last few SK novels haven’t grabbed me, but after watching the HBO production of The Outsider, I got a new appreciation for the Holly Gibney character and this phase of King’s writing.

I haven't watched The Outsider yet, but Holly is one of my favorite King characters. I'm looking forward to it.

I hope you enjoy "Rats." It was my favorite of the bunch. All-in-all though, unfortunately, the whole book was my least favorite novella collection. :(

Jerrika
05-10-2020, 06:16 PM
I'm currently reading The Institute by Stephen King, The Unwilling by Kelly Braffet and Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky.

Heather19
05-11-2020, 12:00 PM
Does anyone here read Chad Lutzke? I've recently started reading his books and I'm thoroughly enjoying them. Of Foster Homes and Flies, and Stirring the Sheets were both great. I almost didn't read the Stirring the Sheets because of the synopsis, but I'm so glad I did. Both were so heartfelt despite the subject matter. I also really loved Out Behind the Barn which he cowrote with John Boden.

Aremag
05-11-2020, 01:47 PM
Finished The Road and I enjoyed it a lot but not to the extent that some fellow board members have. I'll definitely read more of McCarthy's books. I was going to start my re-read of The Stand but decided to hold off until the PS edition arrives so I started my re-read of IT.

mattgreenbean
05-11-2020, 07:19 PM
2/3's of the way through The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. I liked his book Last Call that I listened to last year. But I kinda forgot about him. Found a free copy of Anubis and when I went to my book pile, I picked this one up. It's like a Terry Gilliam movie. A little bizarre, a little weird, and a little funny.

Jean
05-11-2020, 11:14 PM
I haven't but it's been on my list for years. I've seen the movie, so I guess that's part of what has kept me away. How close are they to each other?Very far. I mean, very close in terms of events, but otherwise, about totally different things. Both are great although extremely different.

Thanks. I really do hate when horror authors feel the need to toss in sex for no reason. Richard Laymon is another author that I see recommended all the time, but I've only read one book by him (and the first chapter of another one) and both were just all sex that it turned me off from reading any more of his books. I've always suspected you are my long-lost twin sister. Thought I was the only one who found sex unspeakably boring when described (verbally or cinematically)

DoctorDodge
05-12-2020, 03:33 AM
Thanks. I really do hate when horror authors feel the need to toss in sex for no reason. Richard Laymon is another author that I see recommended all the time, but I've only read one book by him (and the first chapter of another one) and both were just all sex that it turned me off from reading any more of his books. I've always suspected you are my long-lost twin sister. Thought I was the only one who found sex unspeakably boring when described (verbally or cinematically)

All I can think of right now (probably because I finished watching it again for the first time in a while) is this little moment in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcFWSExNJVk

Heather19
05-12-2020, 06:11 AM
I haven't but it's been on my list for years. I've seen the movie, so I guess that's part of what has kept me away. How close are they to each other?Very far. I mean, very close in terms of events, but otherwise, about totally different things. Both are great although extremely different.

I'll have to read Rosemary's Baby soon. Jean, did you prefer it to The Stepford Wives?

And I can handle little amounts of sex in books so long as it adds to the story, but I swear the Richard Laymon book I read was literally from beginning to end some young boy having non-stop sexual fantasies about his female friend. If the sex was omitted from the book there would literally be maybe a 10page short story.

All I can think of right now (probably because I finished watching it again for the first time in a while) is this little moment in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcFWSExNJVk

I love Garth Marenghi's Darkplace! I should rewatch it while I'm still at home for a bit.

DoctorDodge
05-12-2020, 06:25 AM
I got the chance to watch the whole series on the big screen last year! Matt Berry himself showed up! Such an amazing night.

Heather19
05-12-2020, 08:40 AM
Lucky! I bet that was amazing.

DoctorDodge
05-12-2020, 09:03 AM
It really was. It was for the show’s 15th anniversary. It was great to watch it as part of a crowd, and Garth’s speech at the end on how they never expected people to still be talking about it years later seemed especially fitting.

Ricky
05-12-2020, 02:45 PM
Very far. I mean, very close in terms of events, but otherwise, about totally different things. Both are great although extremely different.

Cool, thanks, Jean. Maybe I'll get around to it this summer.

Girlystevedave
05-18-2020, 01:19 PM
Making my way through 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Hunchback Jack
05-18-2020, 09:00 PM
I finished If It Bleeds, and have moved on to Mythos, a retelling of Greek Myths, by Stephen Fry. Also narrated by him.

Kraken
05-23-2020, 04:22 AM
Just finished 11.22.63 by King and have to say this is one of my favourites by him so far. (Still a few books to go though)

kingfan2323
05-23-2020, 10:55 AM
Just finished 11.22.63 by King and have to say this is one of my favourites by him so far. (Still a few books to go though)Good call. One of the reasons I cringe when someone foolish says something like "King has not written anything good in a decade".

seeking: anything DT related #246

Brian861
05-23-2020, 12:43 PM
Just finished 11.22.63 by King and have to say this is one of my favourites by him so far. (Still a few books to go though)

Excellent book.

Kraken
05-25-2020, 11:30 AM
Couldn't agree more. It’s making me think to look for the S/L which would be my first foray into the Signed Limited world.

St. Troy
05-26-2020, 11:12 AM
I finished Mr. Mercedes a few weeks ago. Not quite one of his classics, but I quite enjoyed it: propulsive all the way through, no meaningful spoilers, good tension, good characters, good ending. I much preferred this to The Institute (for comparison to the only other King novel I'd recently read).

St. Troy
05-26-2020, 11:15 AM
I recently read Finders Keepers. I was very pleased to see that it wasn't a cookie cutter copy of Mr. Mercedes, with Hodges just facing off with someone new as with Brady in MM; the story was quite different, and Hodges' involvement felt very organic.

What was similar to MM was all the important stuff: high quality story, no trouble with the ending, good tension, the energy remained high and kept me engaged throughout. Very enjoyable read.

St. Troy
05-26-2020, 11:19 AM
I'm now about 300 pages into End Of Watch and so far, so good: I'm enjoying this just as much as Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers. While I am certain King could make a success of a formulaic PI mystery, I like that he continues the tale without being a copy of either earlier novel.

Brian861
05-26-2020, 06:00 PM
Mr Mercedes is probably favorite of the 3 and End of Watch the least favorite. Finders Keepers could have basically been a stand alone.

Lookwhoitis
05-26-2020, 08:24 PM
Tonight I begin a special re-read. I am embarking on reading the Stand, uncut in the middle of this pandemic lockdown! crazy huh?

I dont believe I have ever read the uncut version before and it's certainly possible that I have not read the Stand since I was a teenager. It is hard for me to remember my early King reading history. I do remember being enraptured by the Stand when I first read it. It really knocked my socks off.

and now I am off to experience the Dark Chest of Wonders :rose:

Finished my first Uncut Stand read. Now i feel it necessary to re-read the Original just to be able to make a conscious decision on which edition is better. :D

St. Troy
05-27-2020, 05:10 AM
Finished my first Uncut Stand read. Now i feel it necessary to re-read the Original just to be able to make a conscious decision on which edition is better. :D

Interesting that you read the longer one first (I did the opposite a few years ago).

As to which you'll prefer:

- originalists tend to prefer the initial abridged work because it is The Stand and not The New Uncut Stand, in a technical sense

- those that believe that within every deep novel longer than 600 pages lurks a "tight" 350 page supernovel just waiting to be brought out of the stone (so to speak) also prefer the initial release

- many that like King for what he is (capable of occasional loooong things that warrant the length) prefer the uncut version

As for me, I have an attention span, understand what King is, and detest abridgments, so yes, I prefer the uncut edition. But I can honestly say I didn't arrive at that conclusion through application of the logic laid out here; I just like it better with more sprawl, the characters and events warrant it and soak it right up.

Lookwhoitis
05-27-2020, 08:33 AM

Interesting that you read the longer one first (I did the opposite a few years ago).

As to which you'll prefer:

- originalists tend to prefer the initial abridged work because it is The Stand and not The New Uncut Stand, in a technical sense

- those that believe that within every deep novel longer than 600 pages lurks a "tight" 350 page supernovel just waiting to be brought out of the stone (so to speak) also prefer the initial release

- many that like King for what he is (capable of occasional loooong things that warrant the length) prefer the uncut version

As for me, I have an attention span, understand what King is, and detest abridgments, so yes, I prefer the uncut edition. But I can honestly say I didn't arrive at that conclusion through application of the logic laid out here; I just like it better with more sprawl, the characters and events warrant it and soak it right up.

No i actually read the Original version many years ago. I had just never read the uncut version until i began reading the Uncut for the first time a month ago. I enjoyed the Uncut version but then got to thinking what exactly were the differences? I am pretty blessed that i tend to forget books after a certain amount of time has passed, so upon a re-read it is almost like experiencing the book for the first time all over again (especially if it has been decades since I last read it). So i got a lot of enjoyment out of the Stand Uncut.

I believe i might be an originalist though. The impact of how that book hit me when i read it at a young age knocked my socks off. Also i thought the tone of the book was affected when it was "Modernized" and "Updated" into 1990. I liked getting the extra backstory, and, hell, who can not be gobsmacked at the adventures of the Trashcan Man and the Kid?

Although i have not really written that much i studied Creative writing in school and know something about revision and cutting and think that the editing of the novel made it into a tighter read.

Aremag
05-30-2020, 04:55 PM
Just finished IT and almost forgot how good and long it is. It definitely took me longer to read it this time than times in the past but that could also be due to my crappy sleep schedule due to the pandemic. Going to start Mr. Tremblay's A Head Full Of Ghosts tonight and see how it goes after my long time thinking over the ending of Cabin.

kingfan2323
05-30-2020, 06:56 PM
Just finished IT and almost forgot how good and long it is. It definitely took me longer to read it this time than times in the past but that could also be due to my crappy sleep schedule due to the pandemic. Going to start Mr. Tremblay's A Head Full Of Ghosts tonight and see how it goes after my long time thinking over the ending of Cabin.How many times for you now? I'm doing my complete King read through but not IT yet.

Aremag
05-30-2020, 08:19 PM
Just finished IT and almost forgot how good and long it is. It definitely took me longer to read it this time than times in the past but that could also be due to my crappy sleep schedule due to the pandemic. Going to start Mr. Tremblay's A Head Full Of Ghosts tonight and see how it goes after my long time thinking over the ending of Cabin.How many times for you now? I'm doing my complete King read through but not IT yet.

It's only three complete reads of IT since release. I went for some years where I was reading bare minimum compared to the pace I've been on the past few years.

Lookwhoitis
05-31-2020, 12:01 PM
but that could also be due to my crappy sleep schedule due to the pandemic.

Dude, I literally have been reading until almost sunrise every day and then sleeping until like 2 or 3 pm LOL

I mean In normal times I would think that could be the best thing ever! But it seems like a curse now LOL i cant break the vampire schedule.

Brian861
05-31-2020, 12:18 PM
but that could also be due to my crappy sleep schedule due to the pandemic.

Dude, I literally have been reading until almost sunrise every day and then sleeping until like 2 or 3 pm LOL

I mean In normal times I would think that could be the best thing ever! But it seems like a curse now LOL i cant break the vampire schedule.

I thought I was the only one living this way!

Aremag
05-31-2020, 06:08 PM
My problem is I'm not sleeping enough at night so I'm tired during the day. I find myself taking way too many naps and not getting a good sleep in. When I start reading I find myself sometimes being lulled to sleep. That and the 1100+ pages of IT made it take way longer for me than it has previously. If I was forced to be awake because I was at work I think I'd be able to sleep more at night but being able to sleep whenever really throws everything off.

On topic...I'm really enjoying A Head Full Of Ghosts so far.

Garrell
05-31-2020, 06:42 PM
Head full of ghosts is creepy and good.

BigJoeHillfan
06-01-2020, 02:58 PM
I finished Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. I liked it but I thought it dragged in places and could have been 200 pages shorter and still good. Then I read "If it Bleeds" by Mr. King. Loved the first story the best, second one was kind of confusing, liked the third with Holly it was good, the fourth story was just ok.
I am now starting N.K. Jemisin Fifth Season trilogy which I have been wanting to read for a while.

Aremag
06-01-2020, 10:12 PM
Finished A Head Full Of Ghosts and its ending makes me appreciate Cabin's ending more than I did after mulling it over for months. Any recommendations of what Tremblay to read in the future? Going to start reading the Suntup edition of I Am Legend tomorrow. I can't remember if I read it when I was younger so I'm going in as a first time read.

St. Troy
06-03-2020, 06:14 AM
I recently read Finders Keepers...

About Finders Keepers, I can't believe I forgot to mention: it absolutely killed me when

all of those notebooks went up in flames. I'm not saying I'd have preferred that one of the kids had died, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

St. Troy
06-03-2020, 06:23 AM
I finished End Of Watch about a week ago, and enjoyed it just as much as the previous two; it wrapped the trilogy up nicely, with resolution to the immediate story, as well as

Bill's life.

I thought the whole

Brady developing mental powers and using video games to exert that power

concept was actually really good, made sense to me, and was logical within the story.

I already liked the character of Holly, and like her even more now.

This trilogy was one of the more satisfying King reads for me over the last several years. I preferred Dr. Sleep, Hearts In Atlantis, and Lisey's Story to this, but probably nothing else after the big break I took from him (from the mid-90s through 2010, I probably only found time to read the last few DT novels, and have been catching up since then, and I still have several holes).

St. Troy
06-03-2020, 06:46 AM
I recently started The Outsider, about 400 pages in and enjoying it.

While not quite the constant rush that the Hodges novels were (it feels like much of the pre-arraignment material could've been condensed (keep all events - the hour-to-hour flow of the key days is great - just ease up on some of the interview minutia)), it gets more interesting almost with every page, has some nice ideas, and I can't wait to see where it goes.

Fun fact: The Outsider is the 13th book I've read this year, and 7 of those 13 (more than half, for those in the back row of math class) are King (after taking almost 3 years away from him, 2020 is turning into the year of King for my reading).

kingfan2323
06-03-2020, 10:55 AM
I recently started The Outsider, about 400 pages in and enjoying it.

While not quite the constant rush that the Hodges novels were (it feels like much of the pre-arraignment material could've been condensed (keep all events - the hour-to-hour flow of the key days is great - just ease up on some of the interview minutia)), it gets more interesting almost with every page, has some nice ideas, and I can't wait to see where it goes.

Fun fact: The Outsider is the 13th book I've read this year, and 7 of those 13 (more than half, for those in the back row of math class) are King (after taking almost 3 years away from him, 2020 is turning into the year of King for my reading).If you want to get people fired up and see the definition of the word polarizing say this:

HOLLY

Hunchback Jack
06-03-2020, 12:15 PM
I think my approval of Holly as a character is helped by Will Patton's depiction of her in the audiobooks.

Aremag
06-03-2020, 12:27 PM
I don't despise Holly but I can do without another Holly book.

St. Troy
06-03-2020, 12:50 PM
If you want to get people fired up and see the definition of the word polarizing say this:

HOLLY

Have I mentioned that I really liked Lisey's Story?
:nana:

kingfan2323
06-03-2020, 01:03 PM
If you want to get people fired up and see the definition of the word polarizing say this:

HOLLY

Have I mentioned that I really liked Lisey's Story?
:nana:You have. You love it. You love Lisey's Story more or

Stanley Kubrick's The Shining?

Aremag
06-03-2020, 07:04 PM
Finished I Am Legend and it deserves the classic status is has. It's also not as dated as I thought it might be due to its age. About to start of Ants and Dinosaurs by Cixin Liu.

kingfan2323
06-03-2020, 07:26 PM
Finished I Am Legend and it deserves the classic status is has. It's also not as dated as I thought it might be due to its age. About to start of Ants and Dinosaurs by Cixin Liu.Agree on I Am Legend. Have you read Liu yet? I plan on Tackling Three Body pretty soon.

Aremag
06-03-2020, 08:02 PM
Finished I Am Legend and it deserves the classic status is has. It's also not as dated as I thought it might be due to its age. About to start of Ants and Dinosaurs by Cixin Liu.Agree on I Am Legend. Have you read Liu yet? I plan on Tackling Three Body pretty soon.

This is my first Liu. I've wanted to read his stuff but haven't gotten around to it.

kingfan2323
06-03-2020, 08:03 PM

This is my first Liu. I've wanted to read his stuff but haven't gotten around to it.Would love to know your thoughts when you have some.

St. Troy
06-04-2020, 10:42 AM
You love Lisey's Story more or Stanley Kubrick's The Shining?

It's hard to say - generally, Kubrick's film is a better film than LS is a novel, but then, it is a failure and a disappointment as an adaptation, style waaaaaaay over substance.

kingfan2323
06-04-2020, 10:44 AM
You love Lisey's Story more or Stanley Kubrick's The Shining?

It's hard to say - generally, Kubrick's film is a better film than LS is a novel, but then, it is a failure and a disappointment as an adaptation, style waaaaaaay over substance.Hmm...I cant think of any other topics that get members fired up.

St. Troy
06-04-2020, 10:46 AM
Hmm...I cant think of any other topics that get members fired up.

Have you tried the politics thread??

:biggrin1:

kingfan2323
06-04-2020, 10:48 AM
Hmm...I cant think of any other topics that get members fired up.

Have you tried the politics thread??

:biggrin1:Or the Cemetery Dance Thread!

I think we are covered now. Ha!

Garrell
06-04-2020, 01:07 PM
Finished The Queen of Bedlam by Robert McCammon. Loved it. It is my 3rd book by him and he is already #2 in my book. Now on to the 2nd story in If It Bleeds.

fernandito
06-04-2020, 01:09 PM
Just ordered Borne by Jeff Van Der Meer. I'm in the mood for some weird sci-fi and the Annihilation was a fantastic read.

Hunchback Jack
06-04-2020, 01:24 PM

I really liked TBP and its sequels. Solid SF with strong characters. Not perfect, but well worth your time.

Finished The Queen of Bedlam by Robert McCammon. Loved it. It is my 3rd book by him and he is already #2 in my book. Now on to the 2nd story in If It Bleeds.

The whole Corbett series is great. So glad to hear you're enjoying them.

HBJ

Aremag
06-04-2020, 09:01 PM

This is my first Liu. I've wanted to read his stuff but haven't gotten around to it.Would love to know your thoughts when you have some.

Finished of Ants and Dinosaurs and enjoyed it very much. Not hard core sci-fi but plenty of science. It's almost like a child's fable meant to teach consequences of scientific, political and ecological decisions. I found it a simple story with a complex under layer. I look forward to checking out Liu's more hardcore sci-fi. Starting The Notch by Tom Hollland.

kingfan2323
06-04-2020, 09:05 PM

Finished of Ants and Dinosaurs and enjoyed it very much. Not hard core sci-fi but plenty of science. It's almost like a child's fable meant to teach consequences of scientific, political and ecological decisions. I found it a simple story with a complex under layer. I look forward to checking out Liu's more hardcore sci-fi. Starting The Notch by Tom Hollland.Was curious about that too. Would love to hear your thoughts .

St. Troy
06-08-2020, 09:00 AM
I recently finished The Outsider.

I quite liked it, much more than The Institute (which I seem to use as a measuring stick for recently read King), although not as much as I enjoyed the Hodges trilogy (I have no real complaint about The Outsider; I just found the Hodges trilogy more gripping). And while I did prefer the Hodges trilogy, I'd expect most readers to prefer The Outsider, as it seems more of what King usually does (less crime oriented, more supernatural oriented, although both works contain both components).

Some bits reminded me of some of the intriguing elements from Desperation (which overall I didn't like).

I could've done without the reference to ka, but hey, no harm done.

As I've said before, I like Holly and look forward to reading more of her in If It Bleeds (which I don't yet have, but hopefully will get and read later this year).

Let's see how The Outsider holds up against my King bugaboo checklist:
- the ending made sense
- no "just 'cuz" anywhere
- no real spoilers of note

3 for 3! Go Stevie go!

Of particular value:

I had no idea that:
- Ollie would snap
- Terry, Howie, and Alec would die
...which I really appreciate (he occasionally telegraphs key character deaths: Eddie (DT), Mattie in Bag of Bones, Edgar's daughter in Duma Key) - remember, Steve: suspense is when you DON'T let the reader know what's coming.

Overall, a good read.

St. Troy
06-08-2020, 09:30 AM
From Saturday night to Sunday afternoon, I read The Thief Of Always by Clive Barker.

FYI, TTOA is one of Barker's few "child friendly fables," and therefore a good Barker entry point for anyone unenthusiastic about seeing horribly disgusting things happen with human bodies.

I read this once before, possibly 20 years ago, and while I'd recalled some basics, I'd forgotten a lot. It was just as good as I remembered - possibly even better - and I strongly recommend it (especially to those turned off by the likes of Hellraiser).

St. Troy
06-08-2020, 09:57 AM
Yesterday I started The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker...which is mighty different from The Thief Of Always.

I've been waiting years to read this; it is quite good (and disturbing). Barker is a hell of a writer.

Hunchback Jack
06-08-2020, 04:27 PM
I just finished Mythos by Stephen Fry, read by the author (an audiobook). It is Fry's retelling of the Greek Myths (or the more gods-oriented ones, anyway; "Heroes", the follow-up, deals with the human-oriented myths). It was entertaining, and very interesting, but as a narrative it (inevitably, perhaps) fell apart a bit by the end. What started as a pretty cohesive series of events fragmented into individual stories containing a bewildering number of different characters, who appear to play their role and then never appear again. No real sense of how much time has passed between stories. Not enough connections between them to pull the disparate stories together.

Not something to read in a single sitting; it probably works better as a bathroom book.

Now reading Jurassic Park (for the first time). The story and subject matter are solid, but the writing is a bit flat. Things happen, and we are told about them. Characters say and do things, but we are not really privy to what they think or feel. I don't really care what happens to them. The dinosaurs are cool, though.

HBJ

webstar1000
06-09-2020, 05:38 PM
I just want to say that Houses Under the Sea by Caitlin R. Kiernan is one of the finest short stories I have ever read. Definitely top 10, possibly top 5. Wow! Just wow.

Hey I can’t send you messages man! I tried but your box must be full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingfan2323
06-09-2020, 08:53 PM
The Institute was so weak. I enjoyed the Outsider as well.

Ricky
06-10-2020, 05:48 AM
Hunchback Jack, I read Jurassic Park a few years ago and agree with everything you said. Good story, propulsive plot, but you can really tell that MC was a scientist first and a writer second.

Heather19
06-11-2020, 05:46 AM
Hunchback Jack, I read Jurassic Park a few years ago and agree with everything you said. Good story, propulsive plot, but you can really tell that MC was a scientist first and a writer second.

Maybe that's why I've thoroughly enjoyed the books of his that I've read. Same with The Hot Zone. I love when science is incorporated into books like that, but that might just be the scientist in me talking :D

Currently reading The Patience of a Dead Man by Michael Clark. It's about a man who ends up buying a haunted house, and it's part of a trilogy. Enjoying it so far.

St. Troy
06-11-2020, 08:18 AM
I finished The Hellbound Heart a few days ago; I very much liked it.

As a very short work (164 non-dense pages; I don't know the word count), it didn't have time to go into much, just enough time to lay out an incredibly intriguing idea: Lemarchand's box, a "three-dimensional jigsaw" with "six black lacquered faces" with no readily apparent solution, but which, once opened, "began to tinkle a short rondo of sublime banality" before possibly opening a doorway "to pleasures no more than a handful of humans had ever known existed."

Going from the first chapter to the second was a bit jarring, as the opening of a world of horror gave way to simple domesticity, but the story was tight and suited the premise (Barker can do short).

The bottom line is that, after having read back-to-back Barkers (THH and The Thief Of Always), I am now pretty much manic to read more of him (luckily I've pretty much forgotten the Barker novels I own and have already read). I'll have to wait a bit, as I've started something else (If You Could See Me Now by Peter Straub) and I've promised my daughter that I'll read one of her recommendations (I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith (author of The Hundred And One Dalmations)) immediately after that, but then, more Barker: Weaveworld, possibly a break for Neil Gaiman's Coraline, Cabal, possibly a break for William Peter Blatty's Legion, then The Great And Secret Show and Everville back to back, another break, then Sacrament, which will exhaust my Barker supply (except for a few stories I have that also appear in the Books Of Blood, which I don't have, but will wait to read until I do). I've already ordered Imajica, hope to get the BoB soon, and later this year, Galilee, Coldheart Canyon, and Abarat.

St. Troy
06-11-2020, 08:46 AM
I recently began If You Could See Me Now by Peter Straub.

Many of you know that I obsess over Straub's Shadowland (if you don't, I haven't done my job) and hold Ghost Story in only slightly lower regard (they were released back to back, GS first). I've been only a sporadic reader of Straub over the years (another instance of failing to do my job), and I've always been desperate to find other things in his catalog that I enjoy as much as those two. Lost Boy Lost Girl (2003) and In The Night Room (2004) were good and fine, but nothing to obsess over; A Dark Matter (2010) was definitely a step above those, but not on par with my favorite two. As the immediate follow-up to Shadowland, Floating Dragon was my prime target; I first read that around 10-15 years ago and was horribly disappointed (a 2016 re-read confirmed the diagnosis). As I wrote in the notes I took during that re-read:

Straub is a skilled writer, but there is way too much “ooh, look what well-to-do America does behind closed doors” in this. Not only does it make for tedious horror (if this were a meatball, it would be one with a low meat-to-bread ratio), but it makes for tedious reading in general (people like to drink, spend money, screw – this is not notable).

...none of which has a blessed thing to do with If You Could See Me Now, except to explain my great anticipation for it. As I said, Straub did Ghost Story, then Shadowland, then Floating Dragon (two greats followed by a great thud), and since I'm looking for another great, I thought seeking whatever immediately preceded Ghost Story was worth a look - and that's IYCSMN.

I'm a bit past the halfway point, and I'll say the following:

- some say Ghost Story was dull and didn't have much going on; such people should steer very clear indeed of IYCSMN, which has much less going on than GS

- those who enjoyed GS' creeping progress should check out IYCSMN (it's easy to see how he went from this to GS), which feels a bit like a long wait, but there is a past and there is atmosphere aplenty for those who like what others call "plodding"

- I quite like it, although it's not yet up there with the great two, but given that I haven't read the last 45% or so of it, nothing has been ruled out.

Hunchback Jack
06-11-2020, 08:50 AM
Very interesting review! I haven’t read most of Straub’s early work, so I’m interested to hear how they compare. Thanks for posting.

St. Troy
06-11-2020, 10:41 AM
...adding to the difficulty on catching up with Barker this year, I am also trying to fit in:

- more catching up on King (I have Full Dark No Stars and plan to get If It Bleeds and Bazaar Of Bad Dreams);

- I also need to re-read Doctor Sleep before seeing the movie, and read my Cemetery Dance edition of The Shining before that;

- at least one more Straub (The Hellfire Club looks interesting);

- tier one from new (to me) authors: The Historian (Elizabeth Kostova), The Shadow Of The Wind (Carlos Ruiz Zafon), The Club Dumas (Arturo Perez-Reverte), Foucault's Pendulum (Umberto Eco), The Prague Cemetery (also Eco), A Gentleman In Moscow (Amor Towles);

- tier two from new authors: The Stranger Diaries (Elly Griffiths), The Ghost Orchid (Carol Goodman), Tyll (Daniel Kehlmann), The Golden Scales (Parker Bilal);

...and God help me if Rothfuss publishes The Doors Of Stone; if so, two months prior to that pub date, I will begin re-reading the first 2 Kingkiller novels in preparation for it.

Jesus I love books.

St. Troy
06-11-2020, 10:48 AM
...I forgot my Everyman's Library omnibus edition of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy - gaah!

Ricky
06-11-2020, 02:50 PM
Maybe that's why I've thoroughly enjoyed the books of his that I've read. Same with The Hot Zone. I love when science is incorporated into books like that, but that might just be the scientist in me talking :D

Yes, you know how I feel about science and math. :lol:

And you'll have to let me know how that trilogy is when you finish it.

Hunchback Jack
06-11-2020, 04:21 PM
- tier one from new (to me) authors: The Historian (Elizabeth Kostova), The Shadow Of The Wind (Carlos Ruiz Zafon), The Club Dumas (Arturo Perez-Reverte), Foucault's Pendulum (Umberto Eco), The Prague Cemetery (also Eco), A Gentleman In Moscow (Amor Towles);

Oh, man. Some great books on that list - I couldn't begin to recommend which one to start first. (Not that you were asking)

HBJ

St. Troy
06-12-2020, 10:55 AM
I just finished If You Could See Me Now by Peter Straub.

I enjoyed it, but will repeat what I said yesterday:

- some say Ghost Story was dull and didn't have much going on; such people should steer very clear indeed of IYCSMN, which has much less going on than GS

- those who enjoyed GS' creeping progress should check out IYCSMN (it's easy to see how he went from this to GS), which feels a bit like a long wait, but there is a past and there is atmosphere aplenty for those who like what others call "plodding."

IYCSMN never really picked up much steam, although there was drama aplenty, just not what we might expect from a supernatural tale (technically it was supernatural; it just never felt like it), more of TV movie of the week-type drama. Having said that, this is Straub, so it is intelligently done, kind of Straub's equivalent of a plain cheese sandwich with cheap cheese slices, a bit of mayo, on Wonder bread (whereas Floating Dragon was like if someone tried to make a Reuben with whatever was left in the previous tenant's fridge).

I know I'm talking it way down, but I did enjoy it; the thing is, the only readers to whom I would recommend it (previous readers of Straub who don't mind downshifting as long as it's still Straub) are probably the ones that are already aware of it and already have made their own decision to do so or not. Not a disappointment, even though I'm always looking for another Shadowland (I don't really expect that to happen).

Maybe there is one other group of readers to whom I could recommend this: those who enjoy novels that provide material (types of characters, types of relationships, meditations on life, an individual's past, an individual's purpose, intersections of people with differences) worthy of writing a college paper about (there's loads here).

St. Troy
06-12-2020, 10:58 AM
I just started I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith.

I'm barely into it and couldn't tell much about it, other than that it is the first person journal/diary entries of a 17 year-old girl who lives in an old rented castle. So far, slightly amusing.

Garrell
06-14-2020, 04:37 AM
Finished If It Bleeds. Loved Rat, If It Bleeds. Hated The Life of Chuck. Mr Harriman’s Phone was decent.
Starting Lisey’s Story for my third attempt, my final attempt. I will finish it this time (I hope). SK says it is one of his favorites thus the reason for this final attempt.

Heather19
06-14-2020, 06:48 AM
Finished If It Bleeds. Loved Rat, If It Bleeds. Hated The Life of Chuck. Mr Harriman’s Phone was decent.
Starting Lisey’s Story for my third attempt, my final attempt. I will finish it this time (I hope). SK says it is one of his favorites thus the reason for this final attempt.

The first time I read Lisey's Story I really struggled with it and had to force myself to finish it. I had to read it again for a bookclub and I did the audiobook the second time. While I still didn't care for the story overall, the narrator did an excellent job and it made it much easier to get thru by listening to it. I also really loved the portions of the story that centered on the husband's past. Unfortunately that was probably only 1% of the book. I would honestly love to read a whole book devoted to his family though.

Garrell
06-14-2020, 06:33 PM
Yep, going the audio route this time actually.

Sai Sheb
06-14-2020, 10:18 PM

LS is one of my favourite books...

Just started Stephen king on writing...
I can believe I have only just gotten around to it.
Highly recommended to everyone

fernandito
06-15-2020, 08:09 AM
If you love sci-fi, and especially if you love dystopian sci-fi, you owe it to yourself to check out Borne by Jeff Vandermeer (author of the Southern Reach trilogy).

I'm only halfway through the book but I already know that I love it, and want to finish it quickly so I can devour the other 2 books in the trilogy.

Also, it's been picked up by AMC for television. (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/borne-sci-fi-drama-based-novels-works-at-amc-studios-1259171)

webstar1000
06-15-2020, 08:36 AM
If you love sci-fi, and especially if you love dystopian sci-fi, you owe it to yourself to check out Borne by Jeff Vandermeer (author of the Southern Reach trilogy).

I'm only halfway through the book but I already know that I love it, and want to finish it quickly so I can devour the other 2 books in the trilogy.

Also, it's been picked up by AMC for television. (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/borne-sci-fi-drama-based-novels-works-at-amc-studios-1259171)

After the slog that was SOuthern Reach... I am VERY weary of trying anything else by him. This better?

fernandito
06-15-2020, 09:01 AM
This one reads a little more like Annihilation than the other 2 books in the series. He puts some of the weirder science elements in your face before gradually revealing how they came to be, which is great because it doesn't blunt their impact and it lets the mystery surrounding them lead the way.

I'll post my full impressions once I finish it, hopefully in the next week or so.

webstar1000
06-15-2020, 09:01 AM
This one reads a little more like Annihilation than the other 2 books in the series. He puts some of the weirder science elements in your face before gradually revealing how they came to be, which is great because it doesn't blunt their impact and it lets the mystery surrounding them lead the way.

I'll post my full impressions once I finish it, hopefully in the next week or so.

Please do my friend. I look forward to hearing more!

Kongo
06-15-2020, 01:18 PM
Any Brandon Sanderson fans? I've recently started the Stormlight Archive series, and I'm about halfway through Way of Kings. Definitely a lot to take in, and I wasn't sure how I felt at first, but now I'm officially won over. Can't wait to continue the series, especially since it supposedly continues to get better and better

fernandito
06-15-2020, 01:24 PM
I've been curious about The Stormlight Archives series for a really long time - especially since it keeps getting mentioned in the same breath as A Song of Ice and Fire and Wheel of Time - but Idk if I have it in me these days to commit to a 10 book fantasy series.

Maybe I'll wait for the TV show instead? :lol: :blush:

Heather19
06-15-2020, 02:03 PM

I've had this sitting on my bookshelf for awhile. I'll have to pick it up soon.

Kongo
06-15-2020, 03:43 PM
I've been curious about The Stormlight Archives series for a really long time - especially since it keeps getting mentioned in the same breath as A Song of Ice and Fire and Wheel of Time - but Idk if I have it in me these days to commit to a 10 book fantasy series.

Maybe I'll wait for the TV show instead? :lol: :blush:

I was super intimidated by the book count and size of each one. I almost passed on the series because of the commitment, but I'm super glad I didn't. If anything it's probably a little more manageable through audio. Also for what it's worth, even though it's supposed to be a series of 10, they're being split into 2 distinctive arcs. The 4th releases this November, and the 5th will wrap up the current story supposedly.

Hunchback Jack
06-15-2020, 04:49 PM
I have been tempted to start Stormlight, but it's just so long. That kind of investment is pretty daunting. I hear good things, though.

I finished Jurassic Park, and it was serviceable. Some good tension, some interesting dinosaur-related ideas, and although the ending was a bit weak, it had a thought-provoking revelation. Nevertheless, it was a bit too popcorny for me, and I probably won't be reading any more Crichton.

Now reading Full Throttle by Joe Hill.

HBJ

Aremag
06-19-2020, 01:15 PM
I just finished reading The Notch by Tom Holland and I can neither recommend nor discourage anyone from reading it. It was mildly entertaining but I cared for none of the characters and found it odd that almost every chapter was between 1-3 pages long. I'm starting Strange Weather by Joe Hill. I have two copies of this book and don't think I ever read it.

kingfan2323
06-19-2020, 01:34 PM
I just finished reading The Notch by Tom Holland and I can neither recommend nor discourage anyone from reading it. It was mildly entertaining but I cared for none of the characters and found it odd that almost every chapter was between 1-3 pages long. I'm starting Strange Weather by Joe Hill. I have two copies of this book and don't think I ever read it.If you bought the hardcover from CD at least you have the signature of the director of fright night, child's play, and Thinner.

Aremag
06-19-2020, 02:11 PM
I just finished reading The Notch by Tom Holland and I can neither recommend nor discourage anyone from reading it. It was mildly entertaining but I cared for none of the characters and found it odd that almost every chapter was between 1-3 pages long. I'm starting Strange Weather by Joe Hill. I have two copies of this book and don't think I ever read it.If you bought the hardcover from CD at least you have the signature of the director of fright night, child's play, and Thinner.

I actually got an ARC in a grab bag.

kingfan2323
06-19-2020, 04:09 PM

I actually got an ARC in a grab bag.Ouch. Oh well.

Aremag
06-23-2020, 08:36 AM
Just finished The Ruins by Scott Smith and thoroughly enjoyed it. In between Strange Weather stories I'm trying to read a different book so next one I'm starting is The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu.

webstar1000
06-23-2020, 08:40 AM
Just finished The Ruins by Scott Smith and thoroughly enjoyed it. In between Strange Weather stories I'm trying to read a different book so next one I'm starting is The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu.

I really liked the Ruins a lot to. Surprised at how much I did. I rented the movie after and that wasn't to bad either!

Aremag
06-23-2020, 08:42 AM

I really liked the Ruins a lot to. Surprised at how much I did. I rented the movie after and that wasn't to bad either!

I almost rented the movie while I was reading the book but decided I wanted to finish the book first.

webstar1000
06-23-2020, 08:42 AM

I almost rented the movie while I was reading the book but decided I wanted to finish the book first.

yes that is what I did.... I waited till book was done.

Frondz
06-23-2020, 08:51 AM

Just finished A Simple Plan by Scott Smith - recommended to me and gifted by a friend. What a gripping book, but oh so brutal. Have either of you read it? Contemplating reading The Ruins, but I might need to wait a while if it's anything like A Simple Plan.

Aremag
06-23-2020, 08:57 AM

Just finished A Simple Plan by Scott Smith - recommended to me and gifted by a friend. What a gripping book, but oh so brutal. Have either of you read it? Contemplating reading The Ruins, but I might need to wait a while if it's anything like A Simple Plan.

Haven't read it but will put it on my list. I found The Ruins gripping, almost claustrophobic, and scary in a different way than any of the few novels that scared me. I wouldn't say it was brutal but maybe a tad disturbing from time to time.

webstar1000
06-23-2020, 09:05 AM

Loved that one to!!!! I liked the Ruins better though I think!!!

St. Troy
06-23-2020, 09:28 AM
Around a week ago, I finished I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith (author of The Hundred And One Dalmations).

As I said before, it is the first person journal of a 17-year-old girl whose family resides in an old castle; she tries to make sense of her family's situation (her writer father that won't, or can't, write anymore, a younger brother, an older sister) as events and visitors bring hope and change to them. Lighthearted and interesting, this was pleasant, not my usual thing, but I enjoyed it.

burgerhicks80
06-23-2020, 09:34 AM
Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes
by Edith Hamilton

I'm also reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire to my daughter. I've been reading them to her in order. We are nearly done with #4 and then on to #5

St. Troy
06-23-2020, 09:37 AM
I recently read The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. From 1911, it is considered a classic, and has been adapted, for film and stage, numerous times, including one that is about to be released.

A pretty basic read, mainly for children but not at all unfriendly to adult eyes, telling the story of a spoiled daughter of English parents living in India as part of the ruling class. When events return her to the care of an uncle in the English countryside, many things change.

This was a very good story (I hope the upcoming Colin Firth film does it justice), and uplifting, which, for me, is not always a good thing; I don't much enjoy feeling I'm being force-fed a spoonful of sugar, but TSG left me feeling that many things are possible, that one really can get from where one doesn't want to be to where one does want to be, and that that which seems hopelessly and prohibitively complex might in the end be quite simple after all - I left this one feeling as if I were walking on clouds, and strongly recommend it to anyone who might like to peruse an old classic or something to push the emotional cobwebs aside, if only for a week.

St. Troy
06-23-2020, 09:39 AM
I recently began my third read of The Damnation Game by Clive Barker, am about halfway through.

kingfan2323
06-23-2020, 12:36 PM

Just finished A Simple Plan by Scott Smith - recommended to me and gifted by a friend. What a gripping book, but oh so brutal. Have either of you read it? Contemplating reading The Ruins, but I might need to wait a while if it's anything like A Simple Plan.Sam Raimi Directed a film version. Really well done.

kingfan2323
06-23-2020, 12:38 PM
American Gods

fernandito
06-23-2020, 12:55 PM
American Gods

Enjoy! One of my all time favorite novels.

kingfan2323
06-23-2020, 01:15 PM
American Gods

Enjoy! One of my all time favorite novels.It has been on my list for a long time and FINALLY into it. What are your thoughts on the tv show?

fernandito
06-23-2020, 01:48 PM
American Gods

Enjoy! One of my all time favorite novels.It has been on my list for a long time and FINALLY into it. What are your thoughts on the tv show?

The first season is brilliant. I haven't seen the second, but unfortunately it lost its principal showrunner(s) so I'm going to walk in with lowered expectations. I'm sure its still going to be a fun watch though, how can't it be with such a rich cast of characters.

kingfan2323
06-23-2020, 03:15 PM
American Gods

The first season is brilliant. I haven't seen the second, but unfortunately it lost its principal showrunner(s) so I'm going to walk in with lowered expectations. I'm sure its still going to be a fun watch though, how can't it be with such a rich cast of characters.So glad to hear that. Looking forward to follow up with the show.

Hunchback Jack
06-25-2020, 05:44 PM
Full throttle, By Joe Hill.

Some quality stories here. I’m about 2/3 of the way through, and there hasn’t been a dud yet.

Garrell
06-25-2020, 07:01 PM
Over half way in Lisey’s Story. The pain... Please end...

St. Troy
06-26-2020, 04:49 AM

This phenomenon continues to confound me.

Garrell
06-26-2020, 05:21 AM
It's the smucking bad gunky!!!

St. Troy
06-26-2020, 08:50 AM
Yesterday I finished The Damnation Game by Clive Barker.

[NOTE: this is one of my rambles, so either grab a snack or drink and settle in, or skip on out - no one would blame you (other than me, and I hold a grudge like a dog with a bone :angry:).]

This is my third read of TDG: I read it shortly after buying it (likely in the late 80s) and again in 2014.

About my initial read: I remember generally enjoying it and thinking "wow, there are other ways [other than King's] to tell a story after all," but I don't recall how much I liked it or what I thought of the story.

About my 2014 read: I remember this better (and have the notes to fill in the blanks), but before getting to that, I have to cover my entire history of reading:

From my childhood to my early 20s, I read what I wanted when I wanted: basically, loads of King, some Lovecraft and Carl Sagan, a few random horror things, Lord Of The Rings (but not much other fantasy), and maybe a touch of science fiction. All in all, I approached reading the way you might approach sports on TV: you check out a game when you have time, and you enjoy the movement and action.

In my mid-20s, I got a family, started working a shitload of hours, and started going to school at night. I stopped reading fiction, other than reading when given a book as a gift (I first encountered Harry Potter and caught up on, and finished, the Dark Tower series this way).

Eventually, work hours shrank, night school wrapped up, my commuting time (30 or 40 minutes each way on weekdays) was freed up, and I tried to jump back in to regular book reading. The thing was, and I'm not sure how best to explain this, I was used to getting a certain charge out of reading whatever I read, almost like I only wanted the reading equivalent of candy or rollercoasters or a catchy 4-minute song. Maybe what I'm getting at is that I'd never read anything that required me to settle down and sink into the subtlety of it. I know this sounds like I'm saying King is mindless junk, but I don't feel that way; this has nothing to do with the quality of what I read but with how I processed it.

Anyway, I looked to my bookcase for choices on what to read: King books I'd bought but hadn't yet read, King books due for a re-read, a handful of non-King things I'd bought because they seemed like a good idea (prime example: a long-neglected BOMC set of Henry David Thoreau including A Week On The Concord And Merrimack Rivers, Civil Disobedience, Walden, and The Maine Woods) - and from this I would choose something, hoping and expecting an immediate jolt of entertainment - and it almost never worked out (although I have to say, re-reads of John Christopher's Tripod Trilogy, Harry Potter, and Shadowland - obviously Shadowland - worked out just fine during this time).

I tried to force things to work by doing things in a way that, in retrospect, pretty much guaranteed that I wasn't going to enjoy much at all, such as spacing the three Lord Of The Rings books out (reading one other book between Fellowship and Two Towers, and 10 books between Two Towers and Return Of The King - my head was fully and well lodged in my ass at this point). I read Asimov's Foundation series (5 books, not 3, thank you) around this time, reading the first 2 between Two Towers and TROTK, and the last 3 shortly after finishing TROTK; that the contrast between those two series, which are quite different indeed, made me feel bad about both rather than make me appreciate what each one did so well is a measure of just how badly I was doing the reading thing (was I too used to textbooks at this point? had I forgotten how to enjoy? damned if I know).

Eventually, I managed to turn things around by consciously doing the opposite of seeking the next piece of candy: I resigned myself to selecting something that looked to be mind-numbingly dull, and to go with it, to allow it to be what it was, to anticipate and outright savor the dull - that's right, I went with the aforementioned Thoreau set, reading all of it without moving on to anything else. very quiet thing, during which the part of me that initially waited for it to end so I could begin anything that had a damn pulse slowly died as I realized it was okay with me if it went on forever.]

The main thing with Thoreau was that I understood it wasn't going to succeed by the measure of anything other that what it was, and that expectations are the enemy of absolutely everything - I believe that by beginning with something so different, and so minimal, the ability to allow whatever I was reading to be what it was clicked firmly into place for me and would remain going forward - the old St. Troy was back, and better than ever. [I own about 4 bookcases worth of books, but only 1 bookcase; the Thoreau set earned its place there, a reminder of what reading is, and should be, for me.]

...the point of all of which is that my second read of The Damnation Game occurred about a month before I began that re-read of LOTR - prime "head up my ass" territory. Let's see what Moron Troy had to say about TDG at the time:

...It has Barker’s usual horrors of what people do to each other when they stop being human.

The first section is like a film’s establishing shot; lots of telling rather than showing. Not that that’s bad, but when I feel a bit of this coming on I instinctively try to avoid it, and I probably shouldn’t, given that it works well (when done well).
Smart writing...

Very very wordy, almost, but not quite, as wordy as Salman Rushdie.

Barker told an interesting story with unpredictable plot progress and logical conclusion, and while he came up with some pretty horrible stuff, as I finished it I realized that at no point did I feel scared, creeped out, or pulled in by suspense. It didn’t feel like a failure, just like this was a different thing altogether from what I normally want.

Return to present day:

After recent reads of The Thief Of Always (which I'd read long ago and loved) and The Hellbound Heart (which I'd never read before) got me all wound up, I wanted to immediately begin a Barkerfest with Weaveworld (which I'd read, and enjoyed, long ago but of which I remembered almost nothing), leaving TDG out of it since my 2014 re-read felt much more recent than 2014 and hadn’t done much for me. I had to wait to rejoin Clive, however, as I moved on to Straub’s If You Could See Me Now (because I’d been waiting to read it for a long time and had hopes it would approach the heights of his Ghost Story or Shadowland), I Capture The Castle (because my daughter was pressing me to) and The Secret Garden (because the movie isn’t far off).

As time passed with these other reads, my lust for Barker only increased, and the completist in me began to wonder if including TDG this time around might make sense, since, even having read it recently, I couldn't remember very much of it, and it occurred to me that perhaps the "recent" re-read had occurred during my “head up my ass” phase, in which case a re-read would make even more sense. My records confirmed: this was indeed the case, and TDG was officially lined up for my current re-read, the details of which I am pleased to present to you now:

Holy hell, what a book. I was immediately blown away; this definitely meets the “would I want a $100 edition of this?” threshold (my standard test). My God. It has nothing to do with what is or isn’t creepy (what a dumb standard; I was putting too much stock in the horror label); the textured awe and awfulness of everything in Warsaw (the opening Terra Incognita section) is amazing, and although the following sections detailing Marty and Whitehead depict more commonplace events, the sheer taste and flow of the prose doesn’t decline at all. This is a great book. Although much of the narrative includes conventional dialogue and action, it does contain passages of extended description, and Barker crafts atmosphere and internal history absolutely as well as anyone – the writing, the writing, the writing.

I was a moron when I read this in 2014, expecting it to work according to a simple goosebump-based horror model when this was something utterly different: an intricately-plotted, unpredictable thriller populated by distinctive characters that earned the horror tag by trafficking in death, blood, fear, and the supernatural, with prose textured with man’s general antipathy for man. I’m not saying this shouldn’t be considered horror – this is fine horror – I’m saying one shouldn’t expect Salem’s Lot from Barker.

I involuntarily compare most fiction with King (reading so much of him in my youth, and enjoying him so much, made him my measuring stick), and I'm compelled to preface what I'm about to say about how he stacks up against Barker with a few things in his defense: King does a better job giving me a story I felt I was actually living and will never forget (It, The Stand) and the type of conventional creepery I’ll always love (Salem’s Lot, The Shining) than just about anybody, but as for the writing itself, the material from which the whole is built at its most basic level, Barker makes King look like he’s practicing surgery with a butter knife. The point here isn’t that King lacks anything in terms of ability - bearing in mind my own words (above) about needing "to allow whatever I was reading to be what it was" - the point is that Barker has a very different skill set, one which has a significant impact on me.

I'm pretty much salivating at the Barker road ahead:
I've just begun In The Flesh (Book of Blood #5; I've owned this for a long time but have no idea if I've read it before) and later will read:
4 short stories included with my edition of Cabal (these 4 comprise 4/5 of Book of Blood #6; same: maybe I read them)
Weaveworld (read, quite liked, can't remember much)
Cabal (don't know if I read it)
Coming To Grief (a short story included in the multi-author collection Prime Evil, which I picked up long ago because it included some King, I probably read it, don't recall it)
The Great And Secret Show (loved it, barely remember a thing)
Everville (bought immediately upon release...never read it)

Imajica is on its way (I've been told), and then I'll have to buy more Barker...

I'm not going to read all of these in a row - I'll weave in other things as I go - but I'm looking forward to this about as much as I've ever looked forward to anything.

Ricky
06-26-2020, 08:54 AM

:lol:

Lisey's Story wasn't one of my favorites, but I never thought it was painful to get through.

Aremag
06-26-2020, 08:56 AM

:lol:

Lisey's Story wasn't one of my favorites, but I never thought it was painful to get through.

I know I read it and didn't hate it but I don't remember anything about it. I'll have to move it up the re-read list since I am now curious.

Garrell
06-26-2020, 09:13 AM
It isn't horrible, I've read worse, it just doesn't "move"? It does seem a little better in the second half.

St. Troy
06-26-2020, 09:20 AM
...and where the hell was I when CD announced their edition of The Damnation Game (which I only discovered a few days ago) a few years ago? It's like I've been asleep for years.

St. Troy
06-26-2020, 09:55 AM
...and this was Barker's first novel - sweet baby Jesus of Nazareth...

St. Troy
06-29-2020, 07:47 AM
Just finished In The Flesh by Clive Barker.

ITF is Barker's fifth Book of Blood, and includes 4 short stories: In The Flesh, The Forbidden (the basis of the 1992 movie Candyman), The Madonna, and Babel's Children. Overall, a good collection. I probably preferred the first two stories, but they each did something different and worthwhile.

I've owned this for a long time, but going into this read I had no idea if I'd read it before or not. Parts of Babel's Children rang bells, so it's likely that I did.

In The Flesh (the short story) had a more traditional horror set-up, did some interesting things, including something small that could be considered optimistic (if questionable) in its conclusion. Early in The Forbidden, I built expectations that it would go quite a bit deeper than it did (semiotics - what a perfectly fertile ground for mystery and intrigue, and perfect for a short - or not so short - novel), but that was my fault for forgetting how short it was (maybe 55 small pages). The Madonna was somewhat Lovecraftian, although rendered in thoroughly Barker fashion, and showcased interesting contrasts of peace and violence, acceptance and rejection, and (as always) how people treat each other. Babel's Children was much shorter and less complex than the other pieces, but did a nice job placing the head-scratchingly strange right next to the ordinary, with a fair amount of punchy drama in a small space.

webstar1000
06-29-2020, 09:06 AM
Has anyone read the other Fynn Novels? I LOVED Gone Girl...

Ricky
06-29-2020, 11:52 AM
Sharp Objects was excellent. I loved it. I haven't read Dark Places, though.

Heather19
06-29-2020, 01:15 PM
I loved Sharp Objects as well. Didn't care for Dark Places.

Aremag
07-02-2020, 01:05 PM
Just finished The Three-Body Problem and all I can say is WOW! and why did I wait so long to read Cixin Liu. I need to order the other two books in the trilogy. In the meantime, due to the discussion of Lisey's Story in a couple of threads and me not remembering anything about the book, I am starting to read it instead of Devolution by Max Brooks which I will read next.

burgerhicks80
07-02-2020, 01:18 PM
Currently reading Night Shift for the book club in my Stephen King discord

https://discord.gg/P7bVXQ9

Garrell
07-04-2020, 05:47 AM
So I am done with Lisey’s Story.
It is not the worst King story ever, FAB8 still gets to keep the title. It was a close smucking run though. There was just enough bad gunky on Booya Moon in the last half of the book to turn the corner and semi save this story. It could make an interesting TV series and I will watch it when it comes out, Julianne Moore can save it I believe.
On to Bird Box in anticipation for Malorie.

Kraken
07-05-2020, 04:40 AM
Recently read Replay by Ken Grimwood because of some comments on these boards.
Big shout of thank you to you all. Brilliant book. One of the best I’ve read this year.

kingfan2323
07-05-2020, 06:27 AM
Big shout of thank you to you all. Brilliant book. One of the best I’ve read this year.I put it on my list for the sake reason. Another endorsement. Looking forward to checking it out.

Kraken
07-06-2020, 02:15 AM
Big shout of thank you to you all. Brilliant book. One of the best I’ve read this year.I put it on my list for the sake reason. Another endorsement. Looking forward to checking it out.

You should bump it up the list

Garrell
07-08-2020, 04:56 AM
Just finished Bird Box. Wow. Slightly better than the movie. Great fun an tense story. I am excited for the sequel, Malorie, at the end of the month.
Next is a Robert McCammon. Either Mr. Slaughter, Mine, or Boy’s Life.

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-08-2020, 02:29 PM
I am currently reading the WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY READING? thread on Palaver.

Hunchback Jack
07-08-2020, 02:42 PM

NICE! I am too. Don't spoil the ending for me.

HBJ

fernandito
07-08-2020, 02:54 PM

HBJ

Holy shit you guys... Me too! Wtf?!

Ka.

Aremag
07-08-2020, 03:16 PM

HBJ

I hear the ending didn't live up to smucking expectations.

Aremag
07-11-2020, 11:58 AM
Just finished Lisey's Story and I think I read it when it was originally released as some of the writing seemed familiar. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great. I might have enjoyed it more if I didn't have to read smuck, and variations of it, a thousand times. That word along with bad-gunky and bool was making me a little nuts. I'm starting Devolution by Max Brooks and hoping for the same enjoyment I have gotten from his other works.

Garrell
07-11-2020, 12:06 PM
So no blood bools?

Aremag
07-11-2020, 12:24 PM
So no blood bools?

Only if Holly Gibney is in Lisey's Story 2: The Smuckening.

Aremag
07-12-2020, 06:57 PM
Just finished Devolution and I loved it. Better than World War Z in my opinion. Looking forward to what Max writes in the future. Going to start Survivor Song by Paul Tremblay and all I hear is Jeff pronouncing Tremblay right now.

St. Troy
07-14-2020, 09:15 AM
A couple of weeks ago, I finished reading four short stories appended to my edition of Cabal by Clive Barker: The Life Of Death, How Spoilers Bleed, Twilight At The Towers, and The Last Illusion. Together, these comprise 4/5 of the 6th Book of Blood (the missing 5th from BoB 6 is On Jerusalem Street (a postscript)).

The first two were fine, but the reading experience suffered from the fact that what little I remembered about the first two stories was spoilerish enough to kill the suspense (although the first, for the most part, remained different from what I'd remembered most of the way, then clicked into place at the end). The Life Of Death struck me as an alternate way to tackle a story that Lovecraft might have wanted to tell (which is not to say it reads at all like Lovecraft) with alternate characters and motivations. How Spoilers Bleed was a decent, and decently told, story, but might telegraph where it was going even to those who hadn't read it before.

Twilight At The Towers - now there's an evocative title, eh? Too bad the story was none of the almost limitless number of intriguing things that might have warranted it. The interesting thing about this one is that, while many readers likely relished the story's transition from the ordinary to the extraordinary, I actually felt it was doing the opposite:

It went from ordinary human spies to werewolves, which, in the overall world of fiction, is a move in the direction of the unusual, but given that this is horror, for me, it was merely a regression to a trope - what began as a taut, intriguing struggle amidst statecraft and violence degenerated into Fright Night hackery (not that the writing is hackery, of course).

The main drawback of The Last Illusion is that it left me needing to know more about certain things, and I suppose that's a positive, not a negative. Interesting here is that this is Barker's version of the hard-boiled detective cliche, and while occasional bits are delivered with the stereotypical booze-soured wink or smirk, the writing (of course) is not the hackneyed mess that most detective fiction strikes me as (apologies to the "this dame had eyes you could stare into for days" crowd).

Overall, I enjoyed these, but I'm eagerly awaiting my return to Barker with Weaveworld (either late this month or early August).

St. Troy
07-14-2020, 09:18 AM
I recently finished Coraline by Neil Gaiman.

I've seen the movie (excellent!) at least a few times, and since I've read a bit of Gaiman and would like a bit more, this seemed like a natural choice. Equal parts fun, serious, intriguing and dark, a nice little (160 pages) read. Gaiman's ability to keep the humanity very real despite overall unreality imbues his work with real weight and quality.

DoctorZaius
07-14-2020, 09:46 AM
A couple of weeks ago, I finished reading four short stories appended to my edition of Cabal by Clive Barker: The Life Of Death, How Spoilers Bleed, Twilight At The Towers, and The Last Illusion. Together, these comprise 4/5 of the 6th Book of Blood (the missing 5th from BoB 6 is On Jerusalem Street (a postscript)).

The first two were fine, but the reading experience suffered from the fact that what little I remembered about the first two stories was spoilerish enough to kill the suspense (although the first, for the most part, remained different from what I'd remembered most of the way, then clicked into place at the end). The Life Of Death struck me as an alternate way to tackle a story that Lovecraft might have wanted to tell (which is not to say it reads at all like Lovecraft) with alternate characters and motivations. How Spoilers Bleed was a decent, and decently told, story, but might telegraph where it was going even to those who hadn't read it before.

Twilight At The Towers - now there's an evocative title, eh? Too bad the story was none of the almost limitless number of intriguing things that might have warranted it. The interesting thing about this one is that, while many readers likely relished the story's transition from the ordinary to the extraordinary, I actually felt it was doing the opposite:

It went from ordinary human spies to werewolves, which, in the overall world of fiction, is a move in the direction of the unusual, but given that this is horror, for me, it was merely a regression to a trope - what began as a taut, intriguing struggle amidst statecraft and violence degenerated into Fright Night hackery (not that the writing is hackery, of course).

The main drawback of The Last Illusion is that it left me needing to know more about certain things, and I suppose that's a positive, not a negative. Interesting here is that this is Barker's version of the hard-boiled detective cliche, and while occasional bits are delivered with the stereotypical booze-soured wink or smirk, the writing (of course) is not the hackneyed mess that most detective fiction strikes me as (apologies to the "this dame had eyes you could stare into for days" crowd).

Overall, I enjoyed these, but I'm eagerly awaiting my return to Barker with Weaveworld (either late this month or early August).

If you have never read Weaveworld you are in for a treat!

St. Troy
07-14-2020, 09:47 AM
I recently began a re-read of The Shining. This is at least my fourth read, and possibly my fifth.

This time, I'm going with the Cemetery Dance edition; it's my first time cracking these covers for real (I flipped through to examine things when I bought it, but that's about it). I may have read part of Before The Play before (I think part was published in TV Guide when the miniseries - the only true adaptation - first aired), but I didn't recall any and quite enjoyed reading this.

I'm a bit past halfway through, and there have been two pleasant surprises this time around (that unfortunately take a bit of explanation):

- I found my last re-read (in 2012) pretty tedious. While those who don't re-read (or don't read, period) might say all re-reads must be tedious given that the reader already knows where things are going, I've always gotten a lot out of re-reads, but even to me, this (2012) re-read didn't work much for me. The Shining's plot has always struck me as a fragile teacup with visible cracks - you know precisely what will fall apart, and how, once stress is applied - but then, to be fair, given that this was at least my third read, I assumed that was just how it was hitting my (apparently) Shining-weary eyes. The pleasant surprise (the point!): I'm experiencing none of that this time around; it's the same small cast-driven, claustrophobic tension fest it's always been. (It looks like I can safely chalk my 2012 experience up to the fact that I was unable to enjoy reading much of anything at that time; for details you didn't ask for, see my post: https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?113-What-are-you-currently-reading&p=1204518&viewfull=1#post1204518)

- Although horror means creepy/scary etc., I'm not one of those people who has trouble turning out the lights at night while reading something like King (with something like The Exorcist, or involving aliens, sure, I'll be up all night), but a few nights ago, I went to bed about 20 minutes after reading the scene where Danny first sees the woman in the tub. (A bit about this scene in particular: if I listed my top-20 most creepy moments in a King novel, this wouldn't be on the list. I know it's considered a classic, I get it, and it is a good scene, but it just has never scared me). So, I go into the bathroom to brush my teeth, and in this bathroom there is a tub with a shower curtain. The curtain is mostly closed, but there's an opening of a few inches through which I can see - and as I move deeper into the bathroom, I see some thing on the bottom of the tub while thinking "that's supposed to be empty." Of course, it wasn't supposed to be empty - the things belong to my grandson, and they are usually there - but for a split second (and for the first time in my life), I was in "oh fuck, she's in the tub!" territory along with millions of other readers, and that was pretty cool indeed.

St. Troy
07-14-2020, 09:49 AM
If you have never read Weaveworld you are in for a treat!

I have read it, but I've forgotten pretty much the whole damn thing, so I'm still in for a treat.

Aremag
07-15-2020, 01:55 PM
Just finished Survivor Song and I feel it didn't quite match up to Head Full Of Ghosts or Cabin due to the postlude. If he would have ended the book before the postlude I would have liked it just as much as the other two I have read. Still a 4 star read though. Now doing my re-read of The Stand using the PS edition.

Garrell
07-15-2020, 03:58 PM
75% done with Mister Slaughter by Robert McCammon. Wow. The Matthew Corbett series continues to amaze.

Hunchback Jack
07-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Slayground, by Richard Stark.

“Parker jumped out of the Ford with a gun in one hand and the packet of explosive in the other.”

That incredible first line begins what is perhaps the best first chapter of a novel I’ve ever read.

Heather19
07-20-2020, 02:19 PM
Just finished Parasite by Darcy Coates. It was a fun scifi/space book, and quite a change of pace from all of her haunted house type stories. Really enjoyed it.

Next up, The Reddening by Adam Neville.

Jean
07-21-2020, 10:32 PM
So, I go into the bathroom to brush my teeth, and in this bathroom there is a tub with a shower curtain. The curtain is mostly closed, but there's an opening of a few inches through which I can see - and as I move deeper into the bathroom, I see some thing on the bottom of the tub while thinking "that's supposed to be empty." Of course, it wasn't supposed to be empty - the things belong to my grandson, and they are usually there - but for a split second (and for the first time in my life), I was in "oh fuck, she's in the tub!" territory along with millions of other readers, and that was pretty cool indeed.http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/caad2099/30324121_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/caad209930324121.html)http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/caad2099/30324121_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/caad209930324121.html)http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1587804682/caad2099/30324121_m.gif (http://vfl.ru/fotos/caad209930324121.html)

GenericEric
07-22-2020, 11:54 AM
About halfway through Brother by Ania Ahlborn.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can already see what the character Rebel is planning to do to his brother Michael. I feel like this book will have a heartbreaking ending.

Brian861
07-22-2020, 12:04 PM
About halfway through Brother by Ania Ahlborn.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can already see what the character Rebel is planning to do to his brother Michael. I feel like this book will have a heartbreaking ending.

Pretty predictable.

Ben Eads
07-24-2020, 04:04 PM
I'm currently reading King's The Bazaar of Bad Dreams and Malerman's Malorie. Enjoying both. =)

Garrell
07-24-2020, 05:58 PM
Reading The Providence Rider by McCammon. Half way through and loving it as much as the first three in the series. This series is amazing. Next is Malorie!

webstar1000
07-27-2020, 03:40 AM
Thanks for the Sharp Objects recomends... loved it. Going to try Dark Places by her next. I love her writing style!

Heather19
07-27-2020, 04:00 AM
I'm also reading Malorie. Really enjoying it so far.

Ricky
07-27-2020, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the Sharp Objects recomends... loved it. Going to try Dark Places by her next. I love her writing style!

Let me know what you think. I haven't read Dark Places yet.

I'm also reading Malorie. Really enjoying it so far.

I was considering reading it next when I finish If It Bleeds, but might end up saving it for Halloween.

Kongo
07-27-2020, 04:01 PM
Finally finished the first book of The Stormlight Archives. Brandon Sanderson has completely won me over now. This was my first dive into "modern fantasy", and I'm so happy I didn't let the length of the series discourage me. After more than a 1,000 pages, I'm already jonesing to start the next one

webstar1000
07-27-2020, 04:10 PM
Finally finished the first book of The Stormlight Archives. Brandon Sanderson has completely won me over now. This was my first dive into "modern fantasy", and I'm so happy I didn't let the length of the series discourage me. After more than a 1,000 pages, I'm already jonesing to start the next one

Really? I picked it up... was very close to starting but stopped. It’s intimidating for sure. Find it hard to follow like Game I’d Thones?

Kongo
07-28-2020, 03:09 PM

Really? I picked it up... was very close to starting but stopped. It’s intimidating for sure. Find it hard to follow like Game I’d Thones?

Trust me man, you won't regret starting it. Despite it's size, it flows very nicely. Believe it or not, it's not hard to follow at all. It gradually eases you into this huge new world, and the large cast of characters. It doesn't feel like your head is ripped open, and a bunch of information is dumped into your brain at once. Now that I'm finished, it really does feel like something new and special.

webstar1000
07-28-2020, 03:18 PM

Trust me man, you won't regret starting it. Despite it's size, it flows very nicely. Believe it or not, it's not hard to follow at all. It gradually eases you into this huge new world, and the large cast of characters. It doesn't feel like your head is ripped open, and a bunch of information is dumped into your brain at once. Now that I'm finished, it really does feel like something new and special.

Each book is massive. Lol if you love the next one....I may just try it. I can’t imagine anything better than The Name of the Wind. That book got me... couldn’t put either down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GenericEric
07-28-2020, 03:26 PM
Good thing about Sanderson is you don't have to wait many, many years for the next book in the series.

He's been pretty good with getting the next book in the series out within 2-3 years. And these books are absolutely massive too.

webstar1000
07-28-2020, 03:28 PM
Good thing about Sanderson is you don't have to wait many, many years for the next book in the series.

He's been pretty good with getting the next book in the series out within 2-3 years. And these books are absolutely massive too.

You a fan of them?

Aremag
07-28-2020, 05:21 PM
Finished The Stand and it is still a phenomenal story. I'm starting Globster by DiVitto Kelly and here's to it being a fun creature story.

Heather19
07-29-2020, 04:09 AM
Finished Malorie. Fun, quick read. But can I just say...

Malorie is a rather annoying, unlikeable character. It's been forever since I read Bird Box, so I can't remember if I felt the same way about her in that one.

Aremag
07-30-2020, 07:45 AM
Finished Globster and it was a fun, quick read...like reading a B monster movie including cringy dialogue and bad humor. Starting 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami now.

webstar1000
07-30-2020, 07:53 AM
William Gibson - Neuromancer

Started this.. and its a HARD read I think. Maybe its me... I don't know but it seems the author doesn't give me enough for my mind's eye to make up what I should be seeing.. know what I mean? And a lot of words.. just to use fancy words? I don't know... its enough that I am still reading it.. but slower going that I thought. Anyone else a big fan? I made it a mission to read every Suntup book.. so this is next so they say.

Kraken
07-30-2020, 08:52 AM
William Gibson - Neuromancer

Started this.. and its a HARD read I think. Maybe its me... I don't know but it seems the author doesn't give me enough for my mind's eye to make up what I should be seeing.. know what I mean? And a lot of words.. just to use fancy words? I don't know... its enough that I am still reading it.. but slower going that I thought. Anyone else a big fan? I made it a mission to read every Suntup book.. so this is next so they say.

You are not alone. I had the exact same feeling about not enough for visualisation. I did get to the end though. Unfortunately it doesn’t get any better.
And I must add that it felt a bit choppy. I had to keep going back to see if I missed something.

Hunchback Jack
08-04-2020, 12:21 PM
Gibson has a very distinctive writing style that takes a bit of getting used to, I think. He also doesn't hand-hold his readers - he uses invented terms that he expects readers to infer the meaning of by context.

I love Neuromancer, but unfortunately, it hasn't aged well. Many of the ideas in the book that were mind-blowing and cutting-edge at the time have become 21st Century reality, softening its impact. There is still a lot to enjoy, but at the time it was published, it was truly extraordinary. A lot of new readers scratch their heads trying to understand what the big deal is.

That's not to take anything away from Gibson, though. I still think he's one of the greatest writers of our time. Even now, after 35 years, he's writing completely original and surprising work.

M_O_O_N
08-04-2020, 12:31 PM
"On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century" by Timothy Snyder (2017)

A short treatise (126 pages) that is even more relevant today in 2020. I plan to keep a copy of it on the end table next to my bed.

GenericEric
08-07-2020, 03:55 PM
Just started Of Foster Homes and Flies by Chad Lutzke

Highly recommend this indie horror author. Haven't read much by him but what I have read has been amazing.

Heather19
08-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Just started Of Foster Homes and Flies by Chad Lutzke

Highly recommend this indie horror author. Haven't read much by him but what I have read has been amazing.

You need to read Stirring the Sheets by him if you haven't yet. It's just as phenomenal.

Garrell
08-10-2020, 12:07 PM
Finished Malorie. Fun quick read and looking forward to the movie.
Quarter way into Mine by Robert McCammon. Man is he good....

SystemCrashOverRide
08-10-2020, 02:40 PM
The Magians trilogy by Lev Grossman. It's a re-read, already on the last book. Quite enjoying it the second time around. I'm sad there are only the three.

webstar1000
08-10-2020, 03:15 PM
The Magians trilogy by Lev Grossman. It's a re-read, already on the last book. Quite enjoying it the second time around. I'm sad there are only the three.

That good eh? Must be for a re read!!

DoctorZaius
08-10-2020, 04:58 PM
Finally got around to If It Bleeds. I just finished the third novella, the one with Holly. I have really enjoyed all three so far. I kind of feel like Holly's story is made up of some excised parts from a fuller version of The Outsider.

Brian861
08-11-2020, 10:43 AM
Finally got around to If It Bleeds. I just finished the third novella, the one with Holly. I have really enjoyed all three so far. I kind of feel like Holly's story is made up of some excised parts from a fuller version of The Outsider.

It was pretty much The Outsider II. The only one I enjoyed was the first one. Felt like classic King.

Garrell
08-11-2020, 11:46 AM
I loved the last 2

webstar1000
08-11-2020, 02:48 PM

It was pretty much The Outsider II. The only one I enjoyed was the first one. Felt like classic King.

I like first and last. They felt like Viking days King to me.

Hunchback Jack
08-12-2020, 02:54 PM
I thought 1, 3 and 4 were really solid stories. I appreciated 2 as King trying something a bit unusual and different, but I don't think it quite came together.

GenericEric
08-14-2020, 08:32 PM
Just started reading my Suntup AGE of Red Dragon.

Brian861
08-15-2020, 09:17 AM

Have you read it before, Eric? If not, it's a great book.

DoctorZaius
08-15-2020, 01:23 PM

Yes, absolutely, it's a thrilling read.

GenericEric
08-15-2020, 03:19 PM

It's been many years since I last read it. I only remember bits and pieces of it.

Almost like reading it for the first time.

Garrell
08-20-2020, 06:40 PM
Finished Mine by McCammon, good read.
Started Boy’s Life today and barely into. Already feel like I am back down in Bama. This is gonna be fun.

GenericEric
08-20-2020, 09:28 PM
I've never been that big into poetry, but I've been reading a huge collection of Charles Bukowski poetry and I have to say, most of them are pretty damn good.

zelig
08-20-2020, 09:59 PM
I've never been that big into poetry, but I've been reading a huge collection of Charles Bukowski poetry and I have to say, most of them are pretty damn good.

Yes!

Br!an
08-22-2020, 07:23 AM

Yes!

I'm not big into poetry either. I do love Bukowski though.

frik
08-22-2020, 08:03 AM
Started Boy’s Life today and barely into. Already feel like I am back down in Bama. This is gonna be fun.

McCammon's best, imo.
Enjoy!!

sk

Girlystevedave
08-26-2020, 12:23 PM

McCammon's best, imo.
Enjoy!!

sk

Yes! :thumbsup:

Girlystevedave
08-26-2020, 12:25 PM
I decided to do an entire reread of The Dark Tower series.

I've read certain books from the series more than once, but never the whole series from start to finish since my first read back in 2007. I'm on Wastelands right now and have to say I'm enjoying the second journey way more than I anticipated.

Ricky
08-26-2020, 02:40 PM
Wow, that's a massive undertaking/commitment! :o

I read the series back in 2008/2009 but haven't revisited it (unless you count reading The Wind Through the Keyhole when it came out). It's just so daunting, especially when there's so many other books I haven't read yet--both King and non-King. The Wastelands is one of my favorites, though, so I'm glad you're enjoying it.

St. Troy
08-26-2020, 07:45 PM

I figured I would cover that as they arose in my general chronological re-read of most of King, but that is taking too long, so I may need to do a 1-7 re-read...but I would not look forward to that at all; the fact is, I may never be able to push myself to do it.

Hunchback Jack
08-26-2020, 10:53 PM

I figured I would cover that as they arose in my general chronological re-read of most of King, but that is taking too long, so I may need to do a 1-7 re-read...but I would not look forward to that at all; the fact is, I may never be able to push myself to do it.

I've done it on audio, and it was quite enjoyable.

HBJ

Girlystevedave
08-27-2020, 08:36 AM
Wow, that's a massive undertaking/commitment! :o

I read the series back in 2008/2009 but haven't revisited it (unless you count reading The Wind Through the Keyhole when it came out). It's just so daunting, especially when there's so many other books I haven't read yet--both King and non-King. The Wastelands is one of my favorites, though, so I'm glad you're enjoying it.

It IS a massive undertaking. :lol:

I don't know, for some reason I just felt it calling my name. I was in the mood to read King, but not necessarily "feeling" the other unread King books on my shelf.

Girlystevedave
08-27-2020, 08:55 AM

The truth is, while I'm enjoying it immensely right now, the pessimistic part of my brain is afraid I'm gonna get to Song of Susannah and regret my choice to reread. :lol:

I've done it on audio, and it was quite enjoyable.

HBJ

I really wish I could enjoy audio books. I thought it could be better to enjoy my "reread" on audio, but I've found that I don't pay attention to the story if someone is reading it to me. :lol:

Ricky
08-27-2020, 02:39 PM
Song of Susannah is one of my favorite in the series!

And I feel exactly the same about audio books.

Girlystevedave
08-28-2020, 11:25 AM

It's not that I have anything against Song of Susannah. I'm just worried I'll lose my reading momentum by that time. haha

Ricky, I'm jealous of people who can enjoy audio books. I just find that my mind wanders if I'm not reading the story myself.

M_O_O_N
08-28-2020, 11:38 AM
Currently rereading the DT series, too. Currently at "The Song of Susannah" - 7th Stanza.

Having just finished "Wolves of the Calla"and knowing what King has written since then brought back the momentum to me. Seeds of ideas planted waiting to germinate.

Ricky
08-28-2020, 01:03 PM
It's not that I have anything against Song of Susannah. I'm just worried I'll lose my reading momentum by that time. haha

Ricky, I'm jealous of people who can enjoy audio books. I just find that my mind wanders if I'm not reading the story myself.

Yeah, I gotcha. 6 books in and you think, "Nah, I think I'm gonna stop here." :lol:

And my mind wanders, too. Just like church when the priest is talking and my mind wanders to what I'm having for dinner. :lol:

Brian861
08-29-2020, 10:55 AM

Audio books definitely take time to get used to but I wonder how I ever lived without them now. I always have one playing in my truck. I've always enjoyed being read to so maybe that's the difference for me. On the other hand, there is not other experience like reading a book yourself. I just don't take the time anymore to do so.

Heather19
08-29-2020, 11:11 AM
I love audiobooks. I find the best time to listen to them is while I'm driving. I'll sometimes listen at work, so long as I'm doing something mindless. However I can not listen to them while I'm at home. I get way too distracted then. I'll save home time for physically reading, and audiobooks for driving :D

Jean
08-29-2020, 11:58 PM
Song of Susannah is one of my favorite in the series!It is an awesome book. Awesome.

Hopefully, Amanda will realize it as soon as she gets to it this time. It just can't fail to happen..

Heather19
09-01-2020, 04:48 AM
I just started Outlander on audio. I have yet to see the show, although I know many are obsessed with it. I'll probably start it after I finish the book. I'm also making my way through If It Bleeds. So far I've read Mr. Harrigan's Phone, and Life of Chuck. Really enjoyed both so far, especially Life of Chuck, what a great story. I think the Holly story might be next? Not positive but if so I'm going to skip ahead and read the other one next and save Holly for the end since I'm not a fan of hers.

Ricky
09-01-2020, 07:01 AM
The Holly story was my favorite! I loved it so much. After that, Life of Chuck, which I really loved as well. Mr. Harrigan's Phone was one I enjoyed, but it was a little slow and could've been shorter. I kept thinking something was going to happen and it really didn't. Rat was probably my least favorite.

Heather19
09-01-2020, 08:02 AM
The Holly story was my favorite! I loved it so much. After that, Life of Chuck, which I really loved as well. Mr. Harrigan's Phone was one I enjoyed, but it was a little slow and could've been shorter. I kept thinking something was going to happen and it really didn't. Rat was probably my least favorite.

I forget, are you a fan of Holly? I can't stand her, and I hated all of the Mr. Mercedes books. I enjoyed The Outsider in the beginning but then the rest of the story went drastically downhill. I imagine it'll be like those, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Ricky
09-01-2020, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I am. I love her but I can understand why other readers wouldn't. I think I remember you saying you enjoyed parts of The Outsider, but I don't recall you saying you hated all the Mr. Mercedes books! :o

Heather19
09-01-2020, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I am. I love her but I can understand why other readers wouldn't. I think I remember you saying you enjoyed parts of The Outsider, but I don't recall you saying you hated all the Mr. Mercedes books! :o

Well in fairness I haven't read the third book. But that's because I hated the first two so much :lol:

Ricky
09-01-2020, 11:11 AM
Well, I guess that's a good reason. :lol:

Aremag
09-01-2020, 11:15 AM
Holly was fine when she was first introduced and was a minor character compared to what she is now. King's obsession with her boggles my mind. Like all things, she has her supporters and I know plenty of people dislike Insomnia and it is one of my favorite King books. Different strokes and all that jazz.

Garrell
09-01-2020, 11:31 AM
Lisey's Story FTW......

Hehe

webstar1000
09-01-2020, 02:03 PM
Holly was fine when she was first introduced and was a minor character compared to what she is now. King's obsession with her boggles my mind. Like all things, she has her supporters and I know plenty of people dislike Insomnia and it is one of my favorite King books. Different strokes and all that jazz.

I agree with this entire statement. I LOVED Insomnia and will never forget that ending when I found out it was DT related. Never. And Holly? Don’t get it. She isn’t fun, interesting or captivating in any way. Don’t get why King keeps using her!

Hunchback Jack
09-01-2020, 03:18 PM

I agree with this entire statement. I LOVED Insomnia and will never forget that ending when I found out it was DT related. Never. And Holly? Don’t get it. She isn’t fun, interesting or captivating in any way. Don’t get why King keeps using her!

I like Holly but, as I think I might have said elsewhere, it has a lot to do with Will Patton's performance on the audiobook. He brings her to life in a way that makes her seem realistic.

Garrell
09-01-2020, 05:39 PM
Agree. I listened to the trilogy on audible due to time constraints, and I really enjoy her character.

GenericEric
09-01-2020, 09:43 PM
Just started The Summer that Melted Everything by Tiffany McDaniel.

I can tell she has a background in poetry. I'm loving her prose. Enthralling read so far.

Heather19
09-27-2020, 07:04 AM
So I have begun my Halloween reads for the year. I've read The Demonologist about Ed and Lorraine Warren, and I just finished Harvest Moon by James A Moore. That book was so good, the perfect Halloween read. I just wish now that I had waited a bit closer to Halloween to read that one.

And currently I'm reading A Season with the Witch by JW Ocker. It's about a guy who moves his family to Salem for the month of Oct and embraces the Halloween season there. I've been out to Salem a few times and it's been a lot of fun, really bummed I won't be able to go this year.

Ricky
09-27-2020, 08:20 AM
It sounds like you're off to a good start! I just looked up A Season with the Witch and it sounds pretty cool. I know there's no way I'm getting to anything more that I want to add to my list, but I'll add it anyway. :lol:

I finished Malorie and am going to start Lore today.

Heather19
09-27-2020, 08:34 AM
Let me know how Lore is. I've had A Season With the Witch on my Halloween reading list for a few years, so happy I'm finally getting to it. Will let you know how it is.

Lookwhoitis
09-28-2020, 06:58 AM
I am currently reading, for the first time ever,

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever