PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72

Garrell
02-08-2020, 05:59 AM
Finished Black Mad Wheel by Josh Malerman. It was decent and a page turner...til the end. The end may not have been to my liking but overall, good book.
Started The Shuddering today, loving it so far.

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-08-2020, 06:49 AM
I am reading 'What Can the Bible Teach Us?' and although I find it interesting, I will NOT throw half of my book and movie collection in the fire to purge all the demonic and satanic influences from my life. I hope this doesn't mean I can't live on Paradise Earth after the Apocalypse though. I'm living a good life otherwise.

Aremag
02-09-2020, 06:11 PM
Just started Muse by James Renner. Don't know anything about the author or book, it was one of the CD grab bag books.

WeDealInLead
02-12-2020, 07:20 AM
Only Forward didn't survive the deadly collision with my coffee so now I'm reading Shadows Vol. 1, edited by Charles Grant.

WeDealInLead
02-13-2020, 03:34 PM
I gave Gwendy's Magic Feather a try. I liked King's introduction but didn't make it too far into the story before I realized I don't really care about Gwendy, her button box and her magic feather.

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-13-2020, 05:11 PM
Am I the only person in this universe who liked Gwendy's Magic Feather? (And I'm not even in her political party!)

Garrell
02-14-2020, 04:26 AM
Possibly.

Aremag
02-14-2020, 04:34 AM
Just started Carrie which I don't think I've read since the late 70s.

Brian861
02-15-2020, 10:02 AM
Am I the only person in this universe who liked Gwendy's Magic Feather? (And I'm not even in her political party!)

Short answer? Yep.

WeDealInLead
02-18-2020, 05:46 AM
Finished Dark Advent by Brian Hodge, started Eye by David J. Schow.

DA was pretty shameless in, ahem, drawing inspiration from The Stand and Swan Song. Good story, fast pacing, interesting characters, and despite some clunky writing, this was pretty enjoyable.

webstar1000
02-18-2020, 05:48 AM

DA was pretty shameless in, ahem, drawing inspiration from The Stand and Swan Song. Good story, fast pacing, interesting characters, and despite some clunky writing, this was pretty enjoyable.

Dark Advent sounds interesting. I may grab this after I finish Rosemarys Baby!

Tony Two-Cent
02-18-2020, 05:56 AM

I have heard great things about Dark Advent from people whose opinions I trust and I have the signed/limited from Cemetery Dance. I need to move this one up to the top of my TBR pile as I love both The Stand and Swan Song.

WeDealInLead
02-18-2020, 07:04 AM

I have heard great things about Dark Advent from people whose opinions I trust and I have the signed/limited from Cemetery Dance. I need to move this one up to the top of my TBR pile as I love both The Stand and Swan Song.

That's the one I have too. There's no way you won't like it. My "review" was positive despite the "clunky writing" comment. If you've read any recent Hodge (say, last five books), you'll notice the difference. It's a little like reading McCammon's mid to current bibliography vs the first couple mass paperback horror yarns.

Hunchback Jack
02-18-2020, 07:28 PM

That's the one I have too. There's no way you won't like it. My "review" was positive despite the "clunky writing" comment. If you've read any recent Hodge (say, last five books), you'll notice the difference. It's a little like reading McCammon's mid to current bibliography vs the first couple mass paperback horror yarns.

Huh, I have this one too. Maybe I should move it to my "to read" pile, if it's good.

I just finished The Bone Tree by Greg Iles. It was enjoyable, and had some very tense scenes, but it was also a bit draggy, and my disbelief was suspended about as low as it would go in parts. It also suffered a bit from the syndrome of "The bad guys are bad because they break the law, but when the good guys break the law, that's okay, because they're the good guys".

The final book in the trilogy is "Mississippi Blood", but next up is "The Peripheral" (reread) and "Agency", both by William Gibson.

Gibson's prose is very distinctive - there's a lot of very specific world-building detail, and very future-term-laden dialogue, that you need to piece together to get a picture of what is going on. It sometimes helps to reread chapters after reading subsequent chapters, just to reinterpret them. There are also a lot of chapters that don't move the story forward much; they just give a new interesting glimpse into another facet of the world, just to reveal what's there because it's a neat idea. You kind of just have to go with that.

Gibson is one of my favourite authors. After 40 years, he's still writing stuff that's compelling and enjoyable, and unlike anyone else's work. He still has the uncanny ability of foreseeing how present-day emerging tech might become commonplace - cool and exciting to us, but utterly everyday to his characters.

HBJ

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-18-2020, 08:33 PM
I've started reading THE NIGHT DOCTOR AND OTHER TALES by Steve Rasnic Tem, and I must admit I usually don't care for these type of, I think metaphorical is the right word, sort of stories, with hazy details that don't really fit into reality. The stories are readable though and I'm not halfway through yet. I also admit I don't fully understand the point or lessons of them. The ones I've read seem to be about getting old and losing interest in life and your loved ones (living or deceased) and just letting go. Kind of depressing.

Jean
02-19-2020, 01:05 AM
I currently read Agatha Christie in German, Italian and Spanish. One book in one language, another in the next, etc

it's absolutely divine. The point is, when one wants to activate his reading skills in a language he doesn't know very well and tries to improve, it may be hard to find something both interesting and not very hard. I broke my mind trying to find such books in all those languages. For example, I would love to read Kafka and E.T.A.Hofmann, but my German is not yet up to the task.

Well, Christie is perfect. Her language has this classical simplicity and clarity that is easily translated into other languages (I noticed it first when a friend of mine read her in French and I peeked to see if the translation was adequate; it was). Her stories are captivating, and her storytelling impeccable.

So, the bottomline is: if you are studying a language and looking for something to read - with pleasure! - to enhance your reading skills, start with Christie, and laugh in the face of those who'll tell you you have to read original literature only. After all, she was translated by native speakers of the language you are going to read her in, it's not like you'll be reading something counterfeited.

(or choose any other author who possesses the same clarity of language. To be avoided till later: anything archaic; anything language-centered; any author famous for his peculiar style or specific sense of humor. To be shunned forever: anything adapted; anything boring.)

Girlystevedave
02-19-2020, 01:14 PM
Finally started The Outsider yesterday.

WeDealInLead
02-20-2020, 06:37 AM
Re: Christie and clarity of language. There is a reason why Wells, Verne, Doyle, Carroll, Christie, and to a lesser degree, Poe, Nabokov, and Lovecraft still sell millions worldwide. Their works are still relatable and moreover, pure language that won't break a translator's mind. I'm sure translating King is a sweet paying gig but I couldn't imagine how one goes about making sense of the rural Maine vernacular, colloquium, and all the idioms we rely on to get through the day. This isn't strictly a translation problem, I've heard and read right on this forum comments such as "Who speaks that way?" in regards to some of King's characters. Yes, I absolutely get why he writes them that way, but really, what's "Ayuh" in Greek? You can adequately translate it but that's NOT what the character said.

Anyway, I'm rereading The Road, and as dense and demanding it can be, I'm sort of translating it in my head as I'm going and it's no problem, it's pure language and I can do it almost literally and lose none of its tone.

Garrell
02-20-2020, 08:37 PM
Finished The Shuddering by Ania Ahlborn. Loved it, better than Seed. Great fun story.
Started Blaze for the first time.

St. Troy
02-21-2020, 09:59 AM
I haven't posted in this thread in about 3 months, so it's time for a series of dull missives on what I've been up to since then:

Everyone knows Dickens' A Christmas Carol; that was one of his 5 "Christmas Books" (often collected under that title), but he also had a collection of "Christmas Stories" (stories published around Christmastime each year), which is often broken into 2 volumes. Last year I purchased a limited (2000 produced) leather-bound two-volume set of Christmas Stories, and read them from 11/13 - 12/18. I've been unable to determine the year of publication, but it may be around 1950 or 1952. I managed to find a set that was damn near immaculate; they are beautiful, and look like this (although this is not my copy):

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/1022/medium/Dickens_Set.JPG

...but on to the books themselves:

It turned out (a bit disappointingly) that most of the content actually isn't Christmas-related, although each work dwells on the themes Dickens would have his readership contemplate around Christmas (be good to your fellow man, damn it!), replete with his usual helping of unexpected coincidences and resolutions, but other than that, the collection was generally entertaining (certainly for anyone who enjoys his style, as I do).

Strangely, the collection contains works (The Perils Of Certain English Prisoners and A Message From The Sea) for which Dickens only wrote part of the story - and skipped the bits he didn't write! I don't know if other collections handle these works the same way.

The Child's Story is one that will seem quite mawkish to those lacking a taste for Dickens' tendency to grasp for emotional reactions, but if you're feeling sensitive at all, it may just reduce you to a blubbering heap.

Going Into Society was an interesting one, about a dwarf that works at a carnival.

Tom Tiddler's Ground contains something that is mighty interesting indeed. First, consider the role of ghosts in fiction long ago, long before King, back to the 19th century (TTG is from 1861). I'm not an expert on the topic, but my reading experience matches what I've heard said about the use of ghosts, and that is that they generally weren't objects of fright, but indicators of sadness and tragedy; indeed, much of what we regard as early horror is actually more accurately termed "gothic," which has more of a focus on tragedy (some, such as certain bits of Poe, almost amusingly so) and not so much fear. Anyway - Tom Tiddler's Ground doesn't have ghosts ("bah!" I hear you exclaim; "then what is this?" - I'm getting there), nor is it horror or gothic ("bah!" you interject again), but I'm trying to set the stage for what TTG isn't, what Dickens isn't, and what really didn't even exist at that time even if it were what is now regarded as early horror - the idea of the type of scare contemporary readers and movie viewers expect and enjoy. So, given all that, lay your eyes upon this passage from Tom Tiddler's Ground:

“When the house door closed with a bang and a shake, it seemed to Miss Kimmeens to be a very heavy house door, shutting her up in a wilderness of a house. …she thought she would go all over the house, to make sure that nobody with a great-coat on and a carving-knife in it, had got under one of the beds or into one of the cupboards. Not that she had ever before been troubled by the image of anybody armed with a great-coat and a carving-knife, but that it seemed to have been shaken into existence by the shake and the bang of the great street door, reverberating through the solitary house. So, little Miss Kimmeens looked under the five empty beds of the five departed pupils, and looked under her own bed, and looked under Miss Pupford’s bed, and looked under Miss Pupford’s assistant’s bed. And when she had done this, and was making the tour of the cupboards, the disagreeable thought came into her young head, What a very alarming thing it would be to find somebody with a mask on, like Guy Fawkes, hiding bolt upright in a corner and pretending not to be alive!”

Although written in 19th century style, that's all like a horror movie of the last 40 or 50 years; someone hiding with a knife could be Halloween or Friday the 13th, and the bit about a motionless mask-wearing intruder is like a scene out of the TV show The Following (which was horror, at least in part). I was pretty blown away by this seeming anticipation of horror tropes that still lay a century away.

The Signal Man (which is more properly part of Mugby Junction but is occasionally published by itself) is a bit of a ghost story in the sense we know it, however still nothing like the previous passage.]

No Thoroughfare was exciting and truly had a bit of everything (the shadow of the past, hope for the future, a mystery or two, and conflict aplenty) to the point that you may need a diagram to follow along.

Some amusing quotes:

“…and then we go to bed. Our room is a very old room. …We don’t like the portrait of a cavalier in green, over the fireplace. There are great black beams in the ceiling, and there is a great black bedstead, supported at the foot by two great black figures, who seem to have come off a couple of tombs in the old baronial church in the park, for our particular accommodation. But, we are not a superstitious nobleman, and we don’t mind. …At length we go to bed. Well! we can’t sleep. The embers on the hearth burn fitfully and make the room look ghostly. We can’t help peeping out over the counterpane, at the two black figures and the cavalier—that wicked-looking cavalier—in green. In the flickering light they seem to advance and retire: which, though we are not by any means a superstitious nobleman, is not agreeable.”

“As to the beef, it’s shameful. It’s not beef. Regular beef isn’t veins.”

“…when the fellows began to come back, not wanting to, he was always glad to see them; which was aggravating when they were not at all glad to see him, and so he got his head knocked against walls…”

[Note: a "bustard" is a large game bird.]

“Resolved to capture him or perish in the attempt, he closed with the bustard; but the bustard, who had formed a counter-resolution that he should do neither, threw him, stunned him, and was last seen making off due west.”

“…he says, ‘I can’t imagine, Mr. Magsman’—which he never could imagine nothing, and was monotonous company.”

“You may suppose you can, but you cannot; or you may go so far as to say you do, but you do not.”

“…being worked into a state I put on my best bonnet and gloves and parasol with the child in my hand and I says ‘Miss Wozenham I little thought every to have entered your house but unless my grandson’s cap is instantly restored, the laws of this country regulating the property of the Subject shall at length decide betwixt yourself and me, cost what it may.’ With a sneer upon her face…she rang the bell and she says ‘Jane, is there a street-child’s old cap down Airy?’ I says ‘Miss Wozenham before your housemaid answers that questions you must allow me to inform you to your face that my grandson is not a street-child and is not in the habit of wearing old caps. In fact’ I says ‘Miss Wozenham I am far from sure that my grandson’s cap may not be newer than your own’ which was perfectly savage in me, her lace being the commonest machine-make washed and torn besides, but I had been put into a state to begin with fomented by impertinence.”

“The case was now desperate. Two serious considerations presented themselves to Vendale. Was it possible to put Madame Dor into the stove?”

“My admirable friend alone possessed his composure. He sent out, on the spot, for a bottle of wine.”

“…he had no stimulating refreshment about him but a small packet of clammy gingerbread nuts…”

“Is this the top? No, nothing like the top. It is an aggravating peculiarity of all mountains, that, although they have only one top when they are seen (as they ought always to be seen) from below, they turn out to have a perfect eruption of false tops whenever the traveller is sufficiently ill-advised to go out of his way for the purpose of ascending them.”

“Whenever the ball came near him, he thought of his shins, and got out of the way immediately.”

“…the two idle apprentices followed the donkey until the night was far advanced. Whether he was recaptured by the town-council, or is bolting at this hour through the United Kingdom, they know not. They hope he may still be bolting; if so, their best wishes are with him.”

“No fine lady requires more constant waiting-on than a horse. Other animals can make their own toilette: he must have a groom. You will tell me that this is because we want to make his coat artificially glossy. Glossy! Come home with me, and see my cat,—my clever cat, who can groom herself!”

St. Troy
02-21-2020, 10:15 AM
From 12/18 - 12/19 I read The Greatest Gift by Philip Van Doren Stern. Although only 54 pages long, this was the basis of the movie It's A Wonderful Life.

The vast majority of the movie's story is not to be found here (it is no novel; it was originally a 24-page pamphlet sent as a type of Christmas card in 1943), but what is here, however, is effective as a short description of the main points of the film; it’s easy to see why its emotion and charm landed with people and spurred the movie (which did an excellent job fleshing things out without obscuring the point). We don’t see George living his life, but only his initial bridge encounter with Clarence (who goes unnamed, known only as "the stranger") and resulting encounters with places, things, and people no longer bearing traces of George because he was never born. Upon discovering that he’d been better off with his life than without it, he seeks out “the stranger,” puts things back as they were, and all is again well.

The illustrations (fantastic green woodcuts from Andrew Davidson, who's also done the Bacardi bat logo as well as exquisite black and white Harry Potter covers you may or may not have seen) were simple and evocative; the whole book, physically, was quite Christmassy. The afterword (written by the author’s daughter) was informative and a nice addition. Anyone with the slightest Christmas spirit should check out this edition: https://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Gift-Christmas-Tale/dp/1476778868/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=the+greatest+gift&qid=1582308324&s=books&sr=1-2

St. Troy
02-21-2020, 10:16 AM
From 12/19 - 12/23, I had my annual re-read of A Christmas Carol (which presumably you know all about).

Jean
02-22-2020, 02:06 AM
Re: Christie and clarity of language. There is a reason why Wells, Verne, Doyle, Carroll, Christie, and to a lesser degree, Poe, Nabokov, and Lovecraft still sell millions worldwide. Their works are still relatable and moreover, pure language that won't break a translator's mind.
Precisely

I'm sure translating King is a sweet paying gig but I couldn't imagine how one goes about making sense of the rural Maine vernacular, colloquium, and all the idioms we rely on to get through the day. This isn't strictly a translation problem, I've heard and read right on this forum comments such as "Who speaks that way?" in regards to some of King's characters. Yes, I absolutely get why he writes them that way, but really, what's "Ayuh" in Greek? You can adequately translate it but that's NOT what the character said. Yes and no. Vernacular can be reproduced, provided the translator is really good; Dickens, Twain, many others have found their adequate translations by fantastically talented Russian translators (don't know about any languages), I read them all in Russian as a child and reread later in the original, so can testify to it. King provides other kinds of difficulties; as I read him, I sometimes think: oh good Lord, how happy I am that I don't have to translate him! Things like Redrum. Like a hundread meanings of Drawing. And so on. At every page.

Then again, provided the translator is really good and talented... of course, just as it's the case with vernacular, it is going to be a totally different text. So, yes, if Christie and even Poe can be translated, writers like King (Dickens, Twain, Wodehouse...) can only be reproduced, re-invented by a talent of a comparable magnitude. Which is, alas, so rare. We used to have a fantastic school of translation here, but now it has deteriorated along with everything else.

Jean
02-22-2020, 02:08 AM
St. Troy: everyone who reads Dickens these days conquers bears' heart forever!

WeDealInLead
02-22-2020, 09:27 AM
Edward Bryant & Harlan Ellison - Phoenix Without Ashes. Yes, this too has an introduction rant about Ellison being screwed over by yet another Hollywood exec. This was an endearing quality for the first sixteen times, now it's just mentally exhausting. Like, I read the introduction and now I'm taking a break before I start the book proper.

St. Troy
02-22-2020, 09:29 AM

What, doesn’t everyone?

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-22-2020, 09:53 AM
I have never read Dickens, what's a good one to start with?

St. Troy
02-22-2020, 10:41 AM
A Christmas Carol is quite short and will go easy on you if the style (dense but not fatiguing) isn’t what you’re used to.

Hunchback Jack
02-22-2020, 08:30 PM
I recently read A Tale of Two Cities for the first time, and was pleasantly surprised at how readable it was, how well written it was, and how much it was ultimately about individuals as much as broad history.

Aremag
02-23-2020, 08:59 PM
Just finished Full Throttle and I enjoyed it immensely. My favorite stories would have to be Faun, All I Care About Is You and You Are Released. The only story I had an issue with at first was Twittering From the Circus of the Dead but by the end I thought it wasn't as gimmicky as I first found it to be.

Started reading The Wide Carnivorous Sky & Other Monstrous Geographies by John Langan.

Heather19
02-24-2020, 05:05 AM
Finally got around to starting We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. Loving it so far.

St. Troy
02-24-2020, 07:38 AM
Finally got around to starting We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. Loving it so far.

Good to know; I have to get around to reading that.

Heather19
02-24-2020, 07:48 AM

I'm about halfway through, so we'll see how I feel by the end of it, but right now I'm enjoying it way more than The Haunting of Hill House.

WeDealInLead
02-24-2020, 10:39 AM

I'm about halfway through, so we'll see how I feel by the end of it, but right now I'm enjoying it way more than The Haunting of Hill House.

Both are timeless classics but I too would give a slight edge to Castle. Like, 1%.

The wisest course of action is to read both and then finish on a high note with The Lottery.

I'm going to pick up Borne from the library. I know nothing about it but I loved Annihilation.

Joe315
02-24-2020, 11:05 AM

Both are timeless classics but I too would give a slight edge to Castle. Like, 1%.

The wisest course of action is to read both and then finish on a high note with The Lottery.

I'm going to pick up Borne from the library. I know nothing about it but I loved Annihilation.

Did you read all 3 of the Annihilation trilogy?

WeDealInLead
02-24-2020, 11:10 AM
Just the first one. I've read reviews that sequels aren't as good. Annihilation had a satisfying ending so I didn't really think I absolutely had to have all the answers.

Do you think I should read all of them?

Heather19
02-24-2020, 11:12 AM

I plan to read The Lottery next. I read it ages ago so dont really remember it aside from the basic premise.

And let me know what you think of Borne. I've had it on my shelf for awhile but haven't gotten to it yet.

Joe315
02-24-2020, 11:36 AM
Just the first one. I've read reviews that sequels aren't as good. Annihilation had a satisfying ending so I didn't really think I absolutely had to have all the answers.

i wouldn't. i couldn't get though the 3rd.

webstar1000
02-24-2020, 11:39 AM

i wouldn't. i couldn't get though the 3rd.

Nor I. The 3rd one is total trash. I could not believe how bad it was AND the only book I have not finished.

fernandito
02-24-2020, 11:53 AM
I too only read Annihilation after hearing how bad the other two are. Works perfectly fine as a standalone story.

Heather19
02-24-2020, 11:59 AM
I'd also recommend stopping after Annihilation. I loved that book so much, but hated 2 and 3.

WeDealInLead
02-24-2020, 12:25 PM
Then it's settled, adieu sequels, hello Borne.

Heather19
02-25-2020, 05:56 PM

Finished We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Absolutely loved it! My favorite read of the year so far.

I was just searching through my shelves and came across Hangsman by Shirley Jackson. Have you read this one, and is it good?

WeDealInLead
02-25-2020, 06:18 PM
Not yet. I'm on a mission to read every book I own with only a few exceptions that I just can't resist.

See you all in a few years lol.

Heather19
02-26-2020, 05:06 AM
:rofl:

I was just thinking the same thing last night. I was going thru some of my shelves and there's all these books there that I haven't read, and a lot of them I had forgotten about. That's where I found Hangsman which I didn't even know I had :lol:

kingfan2323
02-26-2020, 11:13 AM
Finished my second read of The Stand. What can you say about that book that has not already been said. Started CDs This Dark Chest of Wonders: 40 Years of Stephen King's The Stand and my first read of I Am Legend begins tonight.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

webstar1000
02-26-2020, 11:16 AM
Finished my second read of The Stand. What can you say about that book that has not already been said. Started CDs This Dark Chest of Wonders: 40 Years of Stephen King's The Stand and my first read of I Am Legend begins tonight.

I only read it once.. original cut... I should grab the extended.... what version you read?

kingfan2323
02-26-2020, 12:28 PM

I only read it once.. original cut... I should grab the extended.... what version you read?I am actually the opposite, Kris. Never read the original. Read the extended cut. Last read? Freshmen year in HS. Crazy.

Aremag
02-26-2020, 01:15 PM
About to reread Misery but this time it'll be the Suntup AGE.

kingfan2323
02-26-2020, 01:22 PM
About to reread Misery but this time it'll be the Suntup AGE.Exciting! First King book I ever read! Reading the Suntup should be special.

fernandito
02-26-2020, 01:44 PM
I started watching The Outsider on HBO but then realized that I actually wanted to finish the book before I went any further (was about 1/3 of the way through when I stopped reading).

So I'm reading that now, and I can't stop picturing and hearing Ben Medehlson in my head as Ralph Anderson lol.

Girlystevedave
02-26-2020, 02:02 PM
I started watching The Outsider on HBO but then realized that I actually wanted to finish the book before I went any further (was about 1/3 of the way through when I stopped reading).

So I'm reading that now, and I can't stop picturing and hearing Ben Medehlson in my head as Ralph Anderson lol.

I'm close to finishing the book! But I'm avoiding the show at all costs as to NOT picture the actors in my head. :lol:

[resists insane urge to look up Ben Medehlson :cyclops: ]

fernandito
02-26-2020, 02:42 PM

I'm close to finishing the book! But I'm avoiding the show at all costs as to NOT picture the actors in my head. :lol:

[resists insane urge to look up Ben Medehlson :cyclops: ]

come on, you know you can't resist... just do it... we all float down here....
https://img.thedailybeast.com/image/upload/c_crop,d_placeholder_euli9k,h_1440,w_2560,x_0,y_0/dpr_1.5/c_limit,w_1044/fl_lossy,q_auto/v1537153969/180910-Schaeger-_Ben-Mendelsohn-hero_dhappf

kingfan2323
02-26-2020, 03:00 PM

I'm close to finishing the book! But I'm avoiding the show at all costs as to NOT picture the actors in my head. [emoji38]

[resists insane urge to look up Ben Medehlson :cyclops: ]Funny. As I read The Stand I could not remember who played a lot of the characters and intentionally did not look it up so when I started the mini-series last night was surprised. The casting is pretty good but glad I was not picturing Rob Lowe and Molly Ringwald as I read the book.

Ricky
02-26-2020, 03:31 PM
Ben is not at ALL how I pictured Ralph in the book. :lol:

Ricky
02-26-2020, 03:33 PM
Not yet. I'm on a mission to read every book I own with only a few exceptions that I just can't resist.

See you all in a few years lol.

I don't think I'll ever achieve this. :lol:

Girlystevedave
02-26-2020, 03:36 PM
come on, you know you can't resist... just do it... we all float down here....
https://img.thedailybeast.com/image/upload/c_crop,d_placeholder_euli9k,h_1440,w_2560,x_0,y_0/dpr_1.5/c_limit,w_1044/fl_lossy,q_auto/v1537153969/180910-Schaeger-_Ben-Mendelsohn-hero_dhappf

Asshole. :rofl:

And I immediately saw the pic and said to myself: "Oh, the guy Bane killed." :lol:

I'm close to finishing the book! But I'm avoiding the show at all costs as to NOT picture the actors in my head. [emoji38]

[resists insane urge to look up Ben Medehlson :cyclops: ]Funny. As I read The Stand I could not remember who played a lot of the characters and intentionally did not look it up so when I started the mini-series last night was surprised. The casting is pretty good but glad I was not picturing Rob Lowe and Molly Ringwald as I read the book.

When I finally read The Stand a few years back, I had to try so hard to get the mini-series cast out of my head. :lol:

Girlystevedave
02-26-2020, 03:38 PM
Ben is not at ALL how I pictured Ralph in the book. :lol:

I agree. He's not even close to the Ralph in my head.

Sai Sheb
02-26-2020, 11:23 PM
I know I'm two years late, and not sure if this is the place for this post but I found a couple of hours spare yesterday and read elevation... I really dont know what to think about that book! Parts I loved and parts I really didn't... what was up with it? Short story made for a compilation that ran two pages over the quote???

St. Troy
02-27-2020, 11:00 AM
From 12/23 - 12/26, I read The World Of Edward Gorey by Clifford Ross and Karen Wilkin.

My interest in Gorey took flight with John Bellairs' The House With A Clock In Its Walls and continued with other Bellairs books, but I also enjoyed his work with Mystery! and anything else I could turn up (although I have yet, I am ashamed to admit, to buy any of Gorey's publications - but it will happen, I assure you).

TWOEG contains an interview with Gorey, an assessment of his work, and pages of the work itself. A quick little thing, but interesting if you enjoy his work.

Some fun quotes from the man himself:

“Of course I never believe Matisse when he says, ‘Now don’t do these slapdash things that I do because I’ve spent years doing this and only I can do it with authority.’ I’m not saying that most of his paintings aren’t perfectly wonderful, but I’m not at all sure that somebody else couldn’t do just as well.”

“…‘painterly.’ Isn’t that what it’s called when they talk about Jasper Johns’s work? It’s ‘painterly,’ which means it’s sort of sloppy.”

“Unfortunately, I came across an anecdote about Dickens, which I won’t repeat, and I haven’t been able to read any since.” .

Does anyone remember the MTV show (possibly their first live-action show) [I]Dead At 21? I loved it, and strangely, Gorey liked it too.

Brian861
02-27-2020, 11:02 AM

The show is so much better IMO.

fernandito
02-27-2020, 11:44 AM

The show is so much better IMO.

Really? You don't hear that very often. How so?

(with no spoilers if possible, please :lol:)

St. Troy
02-27-2020, 12:09 PM
For Christmas, I received five books that I was quite jacked up to try out:

- The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley

- A Head Full Of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay

- The Slow Regard Of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss

- Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

- The Everyman's Library omnibus edition of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy

I chose to begin with The Loney (which I believe is commonly described as new gothic horror, or something similar) and read it from 1/5 - 1/11.

I discovered The Loney in a roundabout way - on a forum website (possibly TDT, possibly elsewhere), someone posted a link to a book and told people to check out a book (it might've been something by Pete Townshend, either his memoir or his novel), and at the bottom of that page was an ad or notice about a then-forthcoming book whose cover and description were mighty intriguing: Hurley's since-released Starve Acre. Since a sample for Starve Acre wasn't available, I checked to see if he had anything else and found his two earlier novels: The Loney and Devil's Day. The descriptions for both won me over, but the deal was sealed when I read the sample; I mean, check out The Loney's opening paragraph:

It had certainly been a wild end to the autumn. On the Heath a gale stripped the glorious blaze of colour from Kenwood to Parliament Hill in a matter of hours, leaving several old oaks and beeches dead. Mist and silence followed and then, after a few days, there was only the smell of rotting and bonfires.

...this immediately whisked me off into precisely the atmosphere I'd long craved - fantastic! When "seeding" my Christmas gift list, I almost requested both Hurley books, but instead decided to spread it around, and hold off on Devil's Day until after having actually read The Loney, which went thus:

Hurley’s style is very much what I call soft-pedal horror, heavy on atmosphere and smooth prose (which I enjoy and appreciate), but soft on the actual horror, by which I mean, even when something truly horrible actually happens, it doesn't feel horrible, it is edgeless, the same atmospheric prose with which Hurley might relay a comfortable conversation or pleasant sunset. Now, I don't need swinging axes or buckets of blood, but I need to feel something creepy or threatening; for example, in Peter Straub's Ghost Story, there was almost never anything gory happening around Gregory Bate, but when he looked at you with those gold eyes... Straub had a way of communicating threat, fear, and evil while hosting you in a fine library, and that's what I'm looking for (I suppose I'm always looking for an author who can provide me with a stream of Ghost Stories and Shadowlands).

Novels often tantalize the reader with an “object to be named later” (or “object behind the curtain,” if you like), which builds atmosphere and propels the reader along the crest of story’s wave. The thing is, in the end, the writer must deliver, and if he doesn’t, any excitement or other anticipatory interest is retroactively ruined. The Loney had two such objects, both being past events that changed a character in a significant way. In one case, something truly significant and noteworthy had happened - Hurley delivered on this point. In the second case, the event was something utterly banal and therefore unable to bear the weight logically (it didn't warrant the consequences attributed to it in the story) or structurally (it couldn't meet the expectations of a late reveal) - mere background, presented at precisely the point that demanded real substance. This was a failure, and a significant one.

Although The Loney wasn't quite what I’d expected, it still had a good story and great writing - I do recommend it to anyone who, after reading the description and sample for themselves, suspects it might be for them. I will definitely read more of Hurley's work, but where I’d expected to immediately need to jump into Devil’s Day upon completing The Loney, I’m actually okay with waiting a while - and the search for the next “gotta have” author continues...

Heather19
02-27-2020, 01:28 PM
From 12/23 - 12/26, I read The World Of Edward Gorey by Clifford Ross and Karen Wilkin.

My interest in Gorey took flight with John Bellairs' The House With A Clock In Its Walls and continued with other Bellairs books, but I also enjoyed his work with Mystery! and anything else I could turn up (although I have yet, I am ashamed to admit, to buy any of Gorey's publications - but it will happen, I assure you).

TWOEG contains an interview with Gorey, an assessment of his work, and pages of the work itself. A quick little thing, but interesting if you enjoy his work.

Some fun quotes from the man himself:

“Of course I never believe Matisse when he says, ‘Now don’t do these slapdash things that I do because I’ve spent years doing this and only I can do it with authority.’ I’m not saying that most of his paintings aren’t perfectly wonderful, but I’m not at all sure that somebody else couldn’t do just as well.”

“…‘painterly.’ Isn’t that what it’s called when they talk about Jasper Johns’s work? It’s ‘painterly,’ which means it’s sort of sloppy.”

“Unfortunately, I came across an anecdote about Dickens, which I won’t repeat, and I haven’t been able to read any since.” .

Does anyone remember the MTV show (possibly their first live-action show) [I]Dead At 21? I loved it, and strangely, Gorey liked it too.

I love Edward Gorey. Have you been to his house before?

St. Troy
02-28-2020, 06:02 AM

I haven't, but we occasionally drive to that area and really have to fit it in.

Heather19
02-28-2020, 06:52 AM

I haven't, but we occasionally drive to that area and really have to fit it in.

Oh you need to. They have quite a collection of his stuff. Plus it's interesting to see where he lived. I've been there a few times.

Heather19
02-28-2020, 06:56 AM
Funny. As I read The Stand I could not remember who played a lot of the characters and intentionally did not look it up so when I started the mini-series last night was surprised. The casting is pretty good but glad I was not picturing Rob Lowe and Molly Ringwald as I read the book.

When I finally read The Stand a few years back, I had to try so hard to get the mini-series cast out of my head. :lol:

I had this same issue when I first tried to read The Stand. I had a hard time getting into because all I could picture were Molly Ringwald, Gary Sinise, and Laura San Giacomo. All people that I really did not want to picture :rofl:

When I went back years later to finally read it I really had to struggle hard to get those images out of my head, but it was not easy. Funny how a visual adaptation can affect your enjoyment of a story.

St. Troy
02-28-2020, 07:04 AM
Because I first read The Stand prior to the miniseries, I have no problem from picturing the cast.

I do sometimes picture Shawnee Smith, but that's...for other reasons having nothing to do with The Stand.

webstar1000
02-28-2020, 07:07 AM
Rosemay Baby... lovin the read!

Heather19
02-28-2020, 07:08 AM
Because I first read The Stand prior to the miniseries, I have no problem from picturing the cast.

I do sometimes picture Shawnee Smith, but that's...for other reasons having nothing to do with The Stand.

I really wish I had read it prior to watching the miniseries. Funny thing is that it had been forever since I had seen the miniseries, and I honestly have little memory of what actually happens in it, but for some reason most of the actors are so vivid in my mind. I can't wait until the new series comes out. It'll be nice to get some new images in my head.

St. Troy
02-28-2020, 09:08 AM
After putting The Loney to bed, I moved on to A Head Full Of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay, which had been recommended by someone here on TDT in response to my request for something involving demonic possession, and has been read by many of you. I read AHFOG from 1/12 - 1/20.

AHFOG was the opposite of The Loney: less purely enjoyable prose, but much more meat on its bones and actual nefarious doings afoot. [And when I say "less purely enjoyable prose," it's not that the writing is actually bad; AHFOG's documentary nature (mostly first-person recollection; the rest is an informal blog) undoubtedly gives it the flavor it has. The upshot is that, even having read AHFOG, I don’t feel that I know what Tremblay’s writing is actually like, and so one day I will read his next novel (Disappearance At Devil’s Rock).]

As most of you know, the central issue here is a teenage girl (Marjorie) that may be possessed by a demon - is she or isn't she? - and what goes on in her family, including a reality TV show documenting the whole thing. I have lots to say about what unfolds, but will put it behind a spoiler for those of you who have yet to read this (but those of you who have read it, join me inside, won't you?).

I figured Tremblay would be coy about revealing the truth behind the events of the book, and I was not wrong. Although I don't believe possession is 100% ruled out, in the end things look much more conventional (Marjorie is shown doing things of her own disturbed volition). Still, I wonder about some of it...

Around halfway through AHFOG, I started to wonder if little sister Merry might be the source of the trouble, if she is evil or possessed, or even the devil himself, manipulating Marjorie's (and the family's) downward spiral. Once this occurred to me, I started looking for clues to this; consider the following:

- The staircase was split into 3 sections: 6 steps, 5 steps, 6 steps (4 – 5). Merry said “how I complained about that missing sixth stair in the middle” (5), and if she was evil, she would indeed want it to be 6-6-6 and consider the section with 5 to be missing one and not merely different. When I first read this, I just thought the near-reference to 666 was a cheesy and unsubtle horror touch, a wink, but then if Merry was thinking that 6-6-6 would've felt "right," maybe was telling us that someone else was in her head.

- Her blog and library suggest that she likes keeping demonic horror on people’s minds (spreading the word, as it were) while simultaneously undercutting any truth behind it (calling to mind the old saw that “the devil’s greatest trick is convincing the world that he doesn’t exist,” etc.)

- “‘…you’re good at doing voices, Merry.’ ‘I am?’ Both mom and Marjorie groaned. 'Yes, you’ve always been great at doing impressions and funny little voices.’” (77) This seems like the type of skill a lightly possessed ("lightly" as in, the demon is remaining in the background for now) person might have.

- 2s and 3s sometimes pop up, possibly coincidence, or possibly because 2 x 3 = 6. Merry is 23, and lives in a 2-bedroom condo on the third floor (102).

- There were 6 episodes of The Possession (10), which was produced by Sixth Finger Productions (92).

- “What kind of playroom would it be if it wasn’t in a state of beautiful chaos?” (109) [Given that I was in clue-hunting mode, the mention of chaos suggested demonic activity; on its own, this is meaningless, of course.]

- “…Fangoria has no idea I am who I really am... That’s important to me. I feel…validated.” (113) Viewed through the lens of suspicion, this one gave me the creepy-crawlies.

I thought that something would pop up by the end to really nail it home, a special zinger comment in the interview or something, but it never happened.

...on the other hand, the entire unclear chaotic story was told by Merry, Merry was the one who poisoned the sauce, and it did get cold as Merry's interview came to a close...
:belial:

I do recommend this.

Garrell
02-28-2020, 09:13 AM
Loved AHFOG, Cabin at The End Of the World was even better IMHO.

St. Troy
02-28-2020, 09:14 AM
From 1/21 - 1/22 I read Patrick Rothfuss's The Slow Regard Of Silent Things, a tiny (161 small pages) novella focusing on a minor character (Auri) from Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicle series. [No one who hasn't read The Name Of The Wind should bother with this (it's no entry point for those who'd like to try out some Rothfuss), but if you have read and enjoyed it and would like to take a peek behind the walls and under the stones, this may be for you.]

It's pretty much what I'd expected: nice writing, with information that appeals to me as a fan of Rothfuss and this series, but non-essential.

St. Troy
02-28-2020, 09:27 AM
From 1/22 - 1/27, I read Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere ("author's preferred text," FYI).

I quite liked this - I love Gaiman's relaxed yet colorful style - but it wasn't quite what I'd thought it would be, as I was unaware that humor was such a huge part of what it was (my research has since shown that much of Gaiman's output like this). Neverwhere was a bit of an adventure for main character Richard Mayhew, a kind of everyman standing in for the reader, sharing our reactions to the outlandish things he witnessed and participated in. It was interesting and had a satisfying conclusion.

This edition came with a bonus Neverwhere-related short story (How The Marquis Got His Coat Back), which was also quite enjoyable.

I will definitely read more Gaiman at some point (I really must get Coraline).

St. Troy
02-28-2020, 09:42 AM
I forgot to add: while I was editing my post about A Head Full Of Ghosts, my TDT browser window did like a "reset" kind of thing; I didn't know why, but I looked at the top of the page for anything that might have changed. I'm not sure if anything had changed, but the only thing that caught my eye was where it says You Have __ Unread Posts. The number was 66. Of course it was.

Jean
02-28-2020, 10:29 AM

What, doesn’t everyone?it breaks my heart to admit that no, they don't!

I have never read Dickens, what's a good one to start with?what Troy said; also, Great Expectations is the most similar to a novel in the common meaning of the word; while Nicholas Nicklby (my personal favorite) is, in bears' opinion, the most dickensian

Heather19
02-28-2020, 10:30 AM
AHFOG was the opposite of The Loney: less purely enjoyable prose, but much more meat on its bones and actual nefarious doings afoot. [And when I say "less purely enjoyable prose," it's not that the writing is actually bad; AHFOG's documentary nature (mostly first-person recollection; the rest is an informal blog) undoubtedly gives it the flavor it has. The upshot is that, even having read AHFOG, I don’t feel that I know what Tremblay’s writing is actually like, and so one day I will read his next novel (Disappearance At Devil’s Rock).]

Disappearance at Devil's Rock is very different from AHFOG. It's a great story, though one I'm not sure I'd read again, only because it was a bit disturbing in a very realistic sense. There's images in that book that are still stuck with me today even though it's been a number of years since I read it. That said, I would definitely recommend it.

Cabin at the End of the World was really good as well.

Jean
02-28-2020, 10:31 AM
Finally got around to starting We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. Loving it so far.oh, I love it! The Haunting is even better, but then again The Haunting is better than almost anything that is already written or is going to be.

Good to know; I have to get around to reading that.yes, and her short stories too. She is incredible.

ETA

I'm about halfway through, so we'll see how I feel by the end of it, but right now I'm enjoying it way more than The Haunting of Hill House....ooooooooops...........

Jean
02-28-2020, 10:36 AM
I really wish I had read it prior to watching the miniseries. And I. Really. Really. REALLY wish you had.

Heather19
02-28-2020, 12:07 PM
Don't worry Jean, I also love The Haunting of Hill House :)

Tommy
02-28-2020, 01:35 PM
HoHH is one of the most unnerving books I have ever read. I had seen the first film version of it ages ago but when I read the book, it really creeped me out. I love it. I haven't seen the netflix show yet but I hear it's pretty good.

WeDealInLead
02-28-2020, 03:22 PM
Michael Marshall - Bad Things

Brian861
02-29-2020, 10:41 AM
HoHH is one of the most unnerving books I have ever read. I had seen the first film version of it ages ago but when I read the book, it really creeped me out. I love it. I haven't seen the netflix show yet but I hear it's pretty good.

I really enjoyed the show. Have yet to read the book.

Heather19
03-01-2020, 12:06 PM

It took me a few tries to watch just because it is so different from the book. But once I realized that and got past the first episode, it really was an amazing series. Genuinely creepy. I wish more horror films took cues from this show. Definitely recommend it, just dont expect the book going in.

kingfan2323
03-01-2020, 03:22 PM
HoHH is one of the most unnerving books I have ever read. I had seen the first film version of it ages ago but when I read the book, it really creeped me out. I love it. I haven't seen the netflix show yet but I hear it's pretty good.Just started it last night. Fun writing style. Some beautiful sentences. I can already see how influential it is. Good stuff so far.

Garrell
03-02-2020, 07:42 PM
Finished Blaze. Not that great. Was ok at best. At least I can say I read it now.
Started Swan Song by McCammron. My first by him. Hoping it is good. Heard good things about it

Brian861
03-03-2020, 07:46 AM
Finished Blaze. Not that great. Was ok at best. At least I can say I read it now.
Started Swan Song by McCammron. My first by him. Hoping it is good. Heard good things about it

Sorry to hear that about Blaze. I really enjoyed that one.

frik
03-03-2020, 08:45 AM

It's good - one of McCammon's best (together with Boy's life - which is better.)
But it's not as good as some claim it is - like superior to king's The Stand.
Enjoy!!

sk

Garrell
03-03-2020, 09:06 AM

It's good - one of McCammon's best (together with Boy's life - which is better.)
But it's not as good as some claim it is - like superior to king's The Stand.
Enjoy!!

sk

The Stand is one of the best books ever!!!! Don't expect it to surpass it.

kingfan2323
03-03-2020, 10:32 AM
Started Swan Song by McCammron. My first by him. Hoping it is good. Heard good things about itWould love to see what you think of it.

Hunchback Jack
03-03-2020, 02:47 PM

I liked Blaze okay. It had the feel of an early Bachman book, which is what interested me most about it.

Swan Song is very good - some very original ideas, and the writing is fine. It's also very much a book of its time - I don't mean that as a negative, I read it recently and still enjoyed it - I mean it has a very distinctive voice and style of the 80s epic horror novel. Hard to compare it to The Stand - they are very different novels.

HBJ

WeDealInLead
03-03-2020, 07:45 PM
Okay, a few things on the go:

The War of the Worlds reread when I'm out and about and I can squeeze in a chapter.

The Complete Short Stories of Frank Herbert - home reading, might take a while. Nearly 700 pages in negative 5 font size.

City of the Chach - reread because I decided I'm going to finally finish the entire series.

Picking up Rosemary's Baby from the library tomorrow and that's going to be the main read.

Brian861
03-04-2020, 08:31 AM

The War of the Worlds reread when I'm out and about and I can squeeze in a chapter.

The Complete Short Stories of Frank Herbert - home reading, might take a while. Nearly 700 pages in negative 5 font size.

City of the Chach - reread because I decided I'm going to finally finish the entire series.

Picking up Rosemary's Baby from the library tomorrow and that's going to be the main read.

Have you read Rosemary's Baby before? If not, you're in for a treat. Great book.

webstar1000
03-04-2020, 08:33 AM

Have you read Rosemary's Baby before? If not, you're in for a treat. Great book.

Is it ever. Really loving it. Time Machine when it comes next. I read the my limited (CAREFULLY) of Rosemary and really added to it.

PS: I liked Brother better though Bri:P

WeDealInLead
03-04-2020, 08:40 AM

I honestly can't remember. I lost about ten years worth of lists (movies, books, concerts, TV shows). Either way, I like to pick a theme for a month and more or less try to stick with it. I've recently reread two books Suntup published + RB and then I'm going to tackle a few Centipede did.

Brian861
03-04-2020, 08:46 AM

Not even in the same ballpark, my friend :lol:

webstar1000
03-04-2020, 08:58 AM

Not even in the same ballpark, my friend :lol:

Maybe for some...

Girlystevedave
03-04-2020, 01:18 PM

If you don't like it, don't swear off McCammon. I struggled to get through this one although I loved Boy's Life and enjoyed a few of his other books.

Girlystevedave
03-04-2020, 01:20 PM
I'm finally reading Pet Sematary. I avoided it for years because I had seen the film and wanted to forget all that I knew before I could read it. Then I avoided it because I had a kid and was too scared to read it.
Having said that, about 30 pages in, I decided that I don't really care for The Creeds very much. Are these people supposed to be likable?

kingfan2323
03-04-2020, 01:30 PM
I'm finally reading Pet Sematary. I avoided it for years because I had seen the film and wanted to forget all that I knew before I could read it. Then I avoided it because I had a kid and was too scared to read it.
Having said that, about 30 pages in, I decided that I don't really care for The Creeds very much. Are these people supposed to be likable?Seems to me Louis does not like his own daughter much (cannot blame him on that)! Ha!

Gotta love Jud though!

seeking Gunslinger #246

Girlystevedave
03-04-2020, 01:59 PM
Having said that, about 30 pages in, I decided that I don't really care for The Creeds very much. Are these people supposed to be likable?Seems to me Louis does not like his own daughter much (cannot blame him on that)! Ha!

Gotta love Jud though!

seeking Gunslinger #246

:lol:

I thought the same thing! Within the first few pages, he wanted to slap her. A few pages later, I couldn't really blame him. haha

St. Troy
03-05-2020, 11:39 AM
From 2/7 - 2/22 I read The Institute. This is the first King I've read since finishing a re-read of DT2 just over 3 years ago; I think this was the first time I’ve read King’s latest while it still was his latest since Just After Sunset, which I believe was 2008.

These days I approach new King reads with a list of pet peeves I hope to avoid:

- spoilers (little ones are ok; big ones are bad; frequent big ones are the worst (they destroyed Duma Key, which should've been titled Answer Key));

- unsatisfying or illogical resolutions (Under The Dome ended in the literary equivalent of a pile of wet cardboard; Black House came to rest in a discouraging morass of levitating honey, magic bees, and a wonder bat);

- paper villains (the vampires of Salem's Lot didn't care if you believed, nor did the hedge animals of The Shining, but everything at the hotel at the end of The Talisman needed the murder equivalent of viagra).

...but I do begin King reads with an open mind, ready for the good stuff too (among my reads of his recent work, he did a fine job with Revival, a great job with Doctor Sleep, and somewhere in between for Hearts In Atlantis and Lisey's Story).

Anyway, on to The Institute:

Overall, I enjoyed it, it was definitely a success, but not a classic.

As for my specified pet peeves: spoilers weren't an issue; the resolution was logical and enjoyable; there was no paper villain.

My main problem was that it had no atmosphere/vibe whatsoever, feeling instead like a recitation or notation of events. The setup was good and there was no shortage of interesting events, but the story felt like it wasn't being told with King's usual storytelling verve (I'm not sure how to better explain this). The characters were generally fine, but the Institute kids other than Luke felt a bit like "characters," not as real to me (which is odd, given that King is great with characters).

I now enter spoiler mode to protect the innocent:

I thought it was odd that the book opened with Tim and then left him for a long time, but not a big deal.

I was surprised that Luke escaped before the book was even half done; that definitely made things more interesting.

I was unable to accept the amazing chain of assumptions that led the Institute staff to focus on DuPray, a town which is “built around the intersection of SR 92” and which has a police force of 7:
- They’ll check in Portland and Portsmouth, but don’t think he’ll disembark there
- They think he’ll go to Sturbridge, but instead of disembarking, he’ll stay when train 4297 becomes 9956, which goes south to Miami
- They’ll watch Richmond, Wilmington, and Miami, but don’t think he’ll disembark there
- They decide to send actual teams to two stops out of all the ones that 4297 and 9956 hit, one being DuPray
…ladies and gentlemen, I give you Master Detective!

And now I present some truly unacceptable fiction, shit I just can’t accept, along the lines of Wendy and Hallorann choosing to wait out The Shining’s final act on the stairs while Jack hunts Danny:
- The Institute has a guy (Norbert Hollister) living in DuPray! (again: “built around the intersection of SR 92” and a police force of 7). Seriously, this is akin to the inclusion of Springfield in the statue of David’s American tour on The Simpsons, but The Simpsons is supposed to be laughable.
- When Luke jumps off the train (not at a station or depot, mind you), one of the two men in the barely-there town of DuPray that sees him is the Institute's freakin' plant.

...I will say that, as ridiculous as all of that was, I have a much higher tolerance for "convenient" plotting mid-novel than for anything like this at the end (see my previous comments re: Black House) and I can't say this much damaged my overall opinion of The Institute.

A very small quibble, and only a quibble: I had trouble wrapping my mind around the fact that by the time of the lisping man’s October visit, the flash drive hadn’t been provided to anyone with power, as if Luke & Co. were satisfied to have destroyed the institutes around the world and content not to stir up official trouble (perhaps it would’ve been too hard to prove very much about the Institute).

Story-wise, however, I very much appreciated that the Institute, rather than being cleanly eliminated under the brute force of official bureaucracy as it would’ve been at the conclusion of a Tom Clancy novel, retreated into a haze of mystery and possibility, with the “Good Guys” content to merely survive while hoping they didn’t enable the apocalypse – this messiness was an admirable touch of realism. Some books (King and others) that end weakly seem to get stuck in one gear and just ride it out without thinking, but The Institute shifted around, and everything felt authentic as it coasted to a stop.

Not bad at all, Steve.

webstar1000
03-05-2020, 11:59 AM
From 2/7 - 2/22 I read The Institute. This is the first King I've read since finishing a re-read of DT2 just over 3 years ago; I think this was the first time I’ve read King’s latest while it still was his latest since Just After Sunset, which I believe was 2008.

These days I approach new King reads with a list of pet peeves I hope to avoid:

- spoilers (little ones are ok; big ones are bad; frequent big ones are the worst (they destroyed Duma Key, which should've been titled Answer Key));

- unsatisfying or illogical resolutions (Under The Dome ended in the literary equivalent of a pile of wet cardboard; Black House came to rest in a discouraging morass of levitating honey, magic bees, and a wonder bat);

- paper villains (the vampires of Salem's Lot didn't care if you believed, nor did the hedge animals of The Shining, but everything at the hotel at the end of The Talisman needed the murder equivalent of viagra).

...but I do begin King reads with an open mind, ready for the good stuff too (among my reads of his recent work, he did a fine job with Revival, a great job with Doctor Sleep, and somewhere in between for Hearts In Atlantis and Lisey's Story).

Anyway, on to The Institute:

Overall, I enjoyed it, it was definitely a success, but not a classic.

As for my specified pet peeves: spoilers weren't an issue; the resolution was logical and enjoyable; there was no paper villain.

My main problem was that it had no atmosphere/vibe whatsoever, feeling instead like a recitation or notation of events. The setup was good and there was no shortage of interesting events, but the story felt like it wasn't being told with King's usual storytelling verve (I'm not sure how to better explain this). The characters were generally fine, but the Institute kids other than Luke felt a bit like "characters," not as real to me (which is odd, given that King is great with characters).

I now enter spoiler mode to protect the innocent:

I thought it was odd that the book opened with Tim and then left him for a long time, but not a big deal.

I was surprised that Luke escaped before the book was even half done; that definitely made things more interesting.

I was unable to accept the amazing chain of assumptions that led the Institute staff to focus on DuPray, a town which is “built around the intersection of SR 92” and which has a police force of 7:
- They’ll check in Portland and Portsmouth, but don’t think he’ll disembark there
- They think he’ll go to Sturbridge, but instead of disembarking, he’ll stay when train 4297 becomes 9956, which goes south to Miami
- They’ll watch Richmond, Wilmington, and Miami, but don’t think he’ll disembark there
- They decide to send actual teams to two stops out of all the ones that 4297 and 9956 hit, one being DuPray
…ladies and gentlemen, I give you Master Detective!

And now I present some truly unacceptable fiction, shit I just can’t accept, along the lines of Wendy and Hallorann choosing to wait out The Shining’s final act on the stairs while Jack hunts Danny:
- The Institute has a guy (Norbert Hollister) living in DuPray! (again: “built around the intersection of SR 92” and a police force of 7). Seriously, this is akin to the inclusion of Springfield in the statue of David’s American tour on The Simpsons, but The Simpsons is supposed to be laughable.
- When Luke jumps off the train (not at a station or depot, mind you), one of the two men in the barely-there town of DuPray that sees him is the Institute's freakin' plant.

...I will say that, as ridiculous as all of that was, I have a much higher tolerance for "convenient" plotting mid-novel than for anything like this at the end (see my previous comments re: Black House) and I can't say this much damaged my overall opinion of The Institute.

A very small quibble, and only a quibble: I had trouble wrapping my mind around the fact that by the time of the lisping man’s October visit, the flash drive hadn’t been provided to anyone with power, as if Luke & Co. were satisfied to have destroyed the institutes around the world and content not to stir up official trouble (perhaps it would’ve been too hard to prove very much about the Institute).

Story-wise, however, I very much appreciated that the Institute, rather than being cleanly eliminated under the brute force of official bureaucracy as it would’ve been at the conclusion of a Tom Clancy novel, retreated into a haze of mystery and possibility, with the “Good Guys” content to merely survive while hoping they didn’t enable the apocalypse – this messiness was an admirable touch of realism. Some books (King and others) that end weakly seem to get stuck in one gear and just ride it out without thinking, but The Institute shifted around, and everything felt authentic as it coasted to a stop.

Not bad at all, Steve.

YOu liked Doctor Sleep? Oh man.. it was the worst King book I ever read AND THE ONLY time I sincerely struggled to finish.

Br!an
03-05-2020, 12:10 PM
THE ONLY time I sincerely struggled to finish.

I remember the only time I sincerely struggled to finish.

It involved too much alcohol and... I don't remember her name. :wtf:

St. Troy
03-05-2020, 12:17 PM
YOu liked Doctor Sleep? Oh man.. it was the worst King book I ever read AND THE ONLY time I sincerely struggled to finish.

I really liked it - almost loved it. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed something from King so much.

St. Troy
03-05-2020, 12:32 PM
From 2/25 - 2/26 I read Elevation.

Expectations are funny things; going into this, I'd heard:
- it was short
- it was mighty political (as a conservative, less likely to please me specifically)
- it involved gay rights (not necessarily a negative, but I don't enjoy reading soapbox-things, so...)
- the main character was today's stereotypical "bad man" (unwoke, white, old)
- something about a burrito someone mentioned? I dunno

My impressions through the early stages of the book (Deirdre badly needs to watch Dave Chappelle's "monsters" sketch and remember that most new restaurants go out of business in general; Scott ain't the enemy here) meant less and less as I continued, and not just because events shape how we view characters; the story was changing into something else before my eyes.

Things started to get mighty simple (the seemingly instant attitude adjustments of Dierdre, Myra, and Trevor Yount, for one thing), but the story was becoming the type of story for which I'm willing to forgive that kind of thing, or maybe the kind of story for which that kind of thing actually fits.

"Fable" and "parable" are the wrong words, I think, nor does "fairy tale" quite apply, but...by the end, I felt I was...

...floating off into the distance along with Scott, as I held the pages...

...and feeling for everyone there at that scene.

It's not that I feel I learned something in terms of how to treat others - I'm already a decent person and laugh off any contention to the contrary - but...Elevation did something for me.

Good book.

Hunchback Jack
03-05-2020, 12:53 PM
Generally agree. I didn't think the political aspect of the story was preachy or overbearing - in fact, King presented much of the friction between characters as being the result of *perceived* prejudice, rather than actual prejudice, and resolution was attained through communication and, well, spending time together. That's a pretty rational and even-handed viewpoint, I think.

HBJ

Chimpanzama
03-05-2020, 12:56 PM
Mistborn : The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. I'm about half way through and enjoying it so far.

Brian861
03-05-2020, 01:08 PM

I really liked it - almost loved it. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed something from King so much.

DS really seems to divide fans right down the middle. I really enjoyed it as well. Revival was terrible for me and Duma Key is one of my all time favorites. The Institute was meh for me as much of King's recent stuff. I really, really want to have him blow my hair back again but I feel he's somewhat phoning it in these days.

In other news, started Red Dragon.

St. Troy
03-05-2020, 01:13 PM
From 2/26 - 3/2 I finally read On Writing (which I'd long looked forward to). The copy I have is sometimes listed as the 10th anniversary edition (although I don't think it officially is that), and the funny thing is that, when I began it, I was thinking that the original came out in 2010, but that actually came out in 2000 and this edition (in my hands) is from 2010. I need to catch up...

King is great "in conversation;" I loved Danse Macabre and loved this too; it was all very interesting and informative. I liked hearing the inspirations for various works (some I'd heard before, but some were new to me), and I was surprised that he went into so much detail about the accident, but probably shouldn't have been, given that it happened during the writing of this book. Even accepting that, I was (and remain) surprised that he named the driver, and more than once.

I was surprised that he considered Insomnia (which I loved) a “plotted novel” that was “stiff, trying-too-hard.”

St. Troy
03-05-2020, 01:15 PM
...Duma Key is one of my all time favorites.

There was so much I loved about Duma Key but ultimately King stopped it from working; he robbed me of the reading experience I was intended to have. :(

St. Troy
03-05-2020, 01:19 PM
I recently started The Secret History by Donna Tartt. It came out in 1992, but I'd never heard of it until my daughter recently read it. It has some connection to an "aesthetic" or something called "dark academia," which I'd also never heard of (proponents of dark academia tend to cite Dead Poets Society, which sets my little antennae a-tingle).

96 pages in and absolutely loving it, the writing is fantastic.

fernandito
03-05-2020, 01:27 PM
The only thing I remember about Duma Key is muchacho.

And something about a ghost.

Hunchback Jack
03-05-2020, 01:27 PM
I recently started The Secret History by Donna Tartt. It came out in 1992, but I'd never heard of it until my daughter recently read it. It has some connection to an "aesthetic" or something called "dark academia," which I'd also never heard of (proponents of dark academia tend to cite Dead Poets Society, which sets my little antennae a-tingle).

96 pages in and absolutely loving it, the writing is fantastic.

Read this WAY back, soon after it came out, and loved it. Must reread.

Now reading The Seventh, by Richard Stark, the seventh Parker novel. Short, sharp, and mean. Loving it.

HBJ

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-05-2020, 02:00 PM
I really liked both ON WRITING and DANSE MACABRE.
Currently reading the book of GENESIS along with THE BEST OF UNCANNY. The stories in UNCANNY are surprisingly good so far, despite the slanted left wing liberal views I do not subscribe to, although they are doing their best to convert me. We shall see.

Heather19
03-05-2020, 04:33 PM
Duma Key is one of my favorites. Love that book so much.

Currently re-reading Different Seasons. And just finished Inspection by Josh Malerman. Loved that one. Reminded me of The Institute, but I enjoyed this one way more.

Ricky
03-05-2020, 05:02 PM
Ah, I enjoyed Inspection, too. Intrigued by Malorie coming out later this year.

Aremag
03-08-2020, 07:52 PM
Just finished the Suntup AGE edition of Misery and I have to admit that reading these Suntup AGE and CD GE editions really ramps up the joy of reading for me. I started The Cabin At The End Of The World by Paul Tremblay. I'm saying his name in my head like Jeff said it in his video...god help me. This is my first Tremblay book so I have no expectations but I'm hopeful I'll enjoy it due to the King blurb and the forum members who enjoyed his writing.

webstar1000
03-09-2020, 03:33 AM
I CANNOT PUT GONE GIRL DOWN!! I love books like this that make me keep going even when I am ready to stop. lol

Brian861
03-09-2020, 04:47 AM
I CANNOT PUT GONE GIRL DOWN!! I love books like this that make me keep going even when I am ready to stop. lol

You go, girl!

WeDealInLead
03-09-2020, 12:57 PM
Duma Key is one of my favorites. Love that book so much.

Currently re-reading Different Seasons. And just finished Inspection by Josh Malerman. Loved that one. Reminded me of The Institute, but I enjoyed this one way more.

Ditto on Duma Key. Not ditto on Malerman. He hit gold with Birdbox and ever since then it's been a mush of repurposed ideas with try-hard writing. I'm glad people find him enjoyable but I can't not group him with Grady Hendrix, Tremblay, and those two dudes who wrote RP1 and The Martian. They peaked early and will forever be coasting the hype currents of those books. I worshipped the literary ground Tremblay walked on at first, then one day I didn't buy his book the day it went on sale, then another day I checked it out from library, then finally I couldn't even finish Growing Things. Too bad.

I'm embarrassed to say I still haven't read The Great God Pan so I'm about to start it today.

Garrell
03-10-2020, 06:05 PM
Third thru Swan Song. Crazy great story. Absolutely loving it.. already bought Boy’s Life tonight so it is on the list to say the least.

Hunchback Jack
03-10-2020, 06:22 PM
Third thru Swan Song. Crazy great story. Absolutely loving it.. already bought Boy’s Life tonight so it is on the list to say the least.

I'm so glad you're liking it. It IS pretty great, isn't it? :)

HBJ

Garrell
03-10-2020, 08:28 PM
Off the charts fun

Kongo
03-11-2020, 05:28 AM
About to start the 4th Witcher book (2nd in the core saga). The series has quickly shot up to one of my favorites, and I'm so glad I didn't get a chance to start the show

Aremag
03-12-2020, 05:24 PM
Just finished The Cabin At The End Of The World and I don't know how I feel about it. I didn't not like it but I just don't know. Are there other Tremblay books I should give a shot? Now starting The Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn. She's 3/3 with me and I'm hoping the streak continues.

WeDealInLead
03-12-2020, 05:30 PM
The general consensus seems to be that A Head Full of Ghosts is his best work.

Reading: Jack Vance - The Dirdir

kingfan2323
03-12-2020, 05:31 PM

I'm so glad you're liking it. It IS pretty great, isn't it? :)

HBJI am excited to give that a read

Garrell
03-12-2020, 05:43 PM
Just finished The Cabin At The End Of The World and I don't know how I feel about it. I didn't not like it but I just don't know. Are there other Tremblay books I should give a shot? Now starting The Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn. She's 3/3 with me and I'm hoping the streak continues.

I was conflicted after finishing The Cabin At The End Of The World. I have mental digested it and realized I loved it. Head Full of Ghost was great but I still love The Cabin...

Aremag
03-12-2020, 06:13 PM

I was conflicted after finishing The Cabin At The End Of The World. I have mental digested it and realized I loved it. Head Full of Ghost was great but I still love The Cabin...

I'll put Head Full Of Ghosts on my to read list and I'll be digesting Cabin for a bit.

webstar1000
03-16-2020, 07:06 AM

Man I can’t even buy dark Advent in Nova Scotia at chapters... where did you get your copy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heather19
03-16-2020, 08:51 AM

I'll put Head Full Of Ghosts on my to read list and I'll be digesting Cabin for a bit.

A Head Full of Ghosts is excellent, definitely recommend checking it out. I also loved Cabin. It's such a heartbreaking story, and as you reflect on it you might grow to appreciate it more.

WeDealInLead
03-16-2020, 09:03 AM

Man I can’t even buy dark Advent in Nova Scotia at chapters... where did you get your copy?

It's a limited from Cemetery Dance. You'd probably have more luck finding a used copy. I'm not normally one to suggest getting an eBook but shipping on this baby will cost you more than the book. It's a big one. This is the cheapest it's ever been: https://www.amazon.ca/Dark-Advent-Brian-Hodge-ebook/dp/B01BPBCONI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=brian+hodge+dark+advent&qid=1584378146&sr=8-1

webstar1000
03-16-2020, 09:04 AM

It's a limited from Cemetery Dance. You'd probably have more luck finding a used copy. I'm not normally one to suggest getting an eBook but shipping on this baby will cost you more than the book. It's a big book. This is the cheapest it's ever been: https://www.amazon.ca/Dark-Advent-Brian-Hodge-ebook/dp/B01BPBCONI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=brian+hodge+dark+advent&qid=1584378146&sr=8-1

Thanks man!

WeDealInLead
03-16-2020, 09:05 AM
Enjoy, it's a good one.

Garrell
03-16-2020, 09:43 AM
Got me a hard copy cheap on eBay($25), arrived today. It is a couple notches down on the read list but that was the reason I got one.
I use Audible and it is not available there. That is why I grabbed it.

webstar1000
03-16-2020, 10:37 AM
Got me a hard copy cheap on eBay($25), arrived today. It is a couple notches down on the read list but that was the reason I got one.

can I buy it when you are done readying it Brother?

Garrell
03-16-2020, 11:28 AM

If I hate it yes:lol1: got the CD signed one.

webstar1000
03-16-2020, 11:35 AM

If I hate it yes:lol1: got the CD signed one.

Lol k

webstar1000
03-17-2020, 08:24 AM
Has anyone read: The Book of the New Sun series? Good?

NiceM
03-17-2020, 09:52 AM
Yes sir. Took me a bit getting used to his writing style. I only read the book of the new sun of the solar cycle and loved it! You are in for a ride ! I need to track down the other books one day...

mae
03-17-2020, 01:07 PM
"George" by Alex Gino. A sweet and poignant YA or middle-grade I guess book about a girl who everyone else sees as a boy. Definitely hits me in the stupid feels a whole lot. Perfect reading for these pandemicky times.

Hunchback Jack
03-17-2020, 04:03 PM
Has anyone read: The Book of the New Sun series? Good?

So ... yes, they are very good. But they are ... unusual. The writing style has a somewhat detached quality to it, and the plot is not straightforward. I would recommend you try it, but I can't predict whether you will enjoy it. :)

Yes sir. Took me a bit getting used to his writing style. I only read the book of the new sun of the solar cycle and loved it! You are in for a ride ! I need to track down the other books one day...

You should absolutely read them. Both series are fantastic. Short Sun is extraordinary.

HBJ

kingfan2323
03-17-2020, 04:07 PM
First reading of Rosemary's Baby
Struggling through King's The Institute

Brian861
03-17-2020, 09:47 PM
First reading of Rosemary's Baby
Struggling through King's The Institute

Love RB! The Institute was just meh for me.

WeDealInLead
03-18-2020, 07:14 AM
Jack Vance - The Dirdir

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-18-2020, 08:04 AM
Jack Vance - The Dirdir

That is a dear, dear book.
You can't go wrong with Vance.

WeDealInLead
03-18-2020, 08:21 AM
Jack Vance - The Dirdir

Indeed. Such fun adventures. I think I like Adam Reith more than Rialto the self-serving dickhead. I picked up the Planet of Adventure omnibus, Demon Princes omnibus and The Complete Lyonesse.

I tried reading that tribute to Vance from Subterranean but his style is hard to imitate.

Aremag
03-18-2020, 08:59 PM
Just finished The Bird Eater and Ania Ahlborn is 4/4 with me. It didn't quite reach the heights of her other books I read so far but I did enjoy it overall. Now reading The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. It's been awhile since I've read these books and I've never read the whole series one after the other so it should be fun as long as I don't forget my towel.

Hunchback Jack
03-18-2020, 09:43 PM
Don’t panic.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-19-2020, 09:04 AM
Jack Vance - The Dirdir

Indeed. Such fun adventures. I think I like Adam Reith more than Rialto the self-serving dickhead. I picked up the Planet of Adventure omnibus, Demon Princes omnibus and The Complete Lyonesse.

I tried reading that tribute to Vance from Subterranean but his style is hard to imitate.

That is very true, although I seem to recall enjoying most of the stories in SONGS FROM THE DYING EARTH. The authors who are currently trying to imitate Vance's style and set their stories in his Dying Earth universe fall miserably flat in my opinion. I will not name names though.

Hunchback Jack
03-19-2020, 09:23 AM
I just finished another triptych (I read them in threes) of Parker novels by Richard Stark - The Seventh, The Handle, and The Rare Coin Score. What can I say? Short, cold and hugely entertaining.

Now on to Mississippi Blood by Greg Iles, the final book in the trilogy that makes up the latest installment of his Penn Cage series of southern thrillers.

HBJ

WeDealInLead
03-21-2020, 12:06 PM
Just started the fourth and final book in the Planet of Adventure tetralogy called The Pnume. 110 pages and I'm departing the planet Tschai. It's been fun.

I'm also reading a short story collection The Nightmare Factory by Douglas Clegg and At the Mountains of Madness by HPL.

St. Troy
03-21-2020, 12:15 PM
I just finished The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Fantastic writing, and a subtle plot revolving around a group of college students whose studies are isolated with each other and one professor. We learn who they are as the dynamics of their individual and collective relationships pulse with surrounding events.

Easily the best thing I've read this year, probably the best thing I've read since Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear in 2018, and one of the best things I've read in the last 10 or 20 years. I highly recommend it and can't wait to read more from Tartt.

craigobau
03-21-2020, 12:54 PM
I just finished The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Fantastic writing, and a subtle plot revolving around a group of college students whose studies are isolated with each other and one professor. We learn who they are as the dynamics of their individual and collective relationships pulse with surrounding events.

Easily the best thing I've read this year, probably the best thing I've read since Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear in 2018, and one of the best things I've read in the last 10 or 20 years. I highly recommend it and can't wait to read more from Tartt.

+1

Donna Tartt’s The Goldfinch is in my top 10 all time favourite books. I just didn’t want it to end.

kingfan2323
03-21-2020, 02:18 PM

+1

Donna Tartt’s The Goldfinch is in my top 10 all time favourite books. I just didn’t want it to end.You guys have me curious. I'll check her out. Thanks.

seeking: anything #246 Dark Tower

kingfan2323
03-21-2020, 02:30 PM

+1

Donna Tartt’s The Goldfinch is in my top 10 all time favourite books. I just didn’t want it to end.Happy with the film adaptation?

kingfan2323
03-23-2020, 01:27 PM
Couple hundred pages into DUNE!

Rarely read sci-fi and loving it. Great combo of good writing, political intrigue, and world-building.

WeDealInLead
03-23-2020, 01:44 PM
Welcome to the Golden Path.

kingfan2323
03-23-2020, 04:26 PM
Welcome to the Golden Path.Ha! It is addicting as hell to read as well!

Hunchback Jack
03-23-2020, 04:34 PM
Couple hundred pages into DUNE!

Rarely read sci-fi and loving it. Great combo of good writing, political intrigue, and world-building.

Yep. One of the great works of literature, not just SF literature. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

HBJ

webstar1000
03-23-2020, 04:36 PM
I hear Dune was super hard to read.. dense. It’s not? Damm maybe I should try it. I hate dense books... I have a bit of ADD and while I love to read, I cannot focus on the words long and well makes those style books harder to follow. If that makes sense of course.

WeDealInLead
03-23-2020, 04:56 PM
The story isn't hard to follow once you figure out who's who and what they're up to. I wouldn't say dense ... maybe oppressive, but that's just the ol' form follows function trick. You can't have flowery language for a story set on a desert planet. I believe this was on purpose too because his other works aren't like this at all.

I think you'd like Dune if you gave it a chance and took your time with it. Ditto Book of the New Sun, although for a list of different reasons.

These aren't easy reads and yes, sometimes you have to think about what's actually going on between the lines, but the stories are very interesting.

kingfan2323
03-23-2020, 05:08 PM
I hear Dune was super hard to read.. dense. It’s not? Damm maybe I should try it. I hate dense books... I have a bit of ADD and while I love to read, I cannot focus on the words long and well makes those style books harder to follow. If that makes sense of course.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI bet we did not read it for the same reason. Not a fan of the Zordoz from planet Zoodidoo that battle with their Loob cicle bae-dae spears against Pilyackks and Gorgaks?

Well our fears of that (if I am right in your case too) is not baseless. It is a bit like that. What saved me? Reading it on Kindle. I KNOW you cannot stand E-books, Kris, but being able to look up definitions/names/places with a press of a finger tip helps if I need a reminder and makes it a more enjoyable read.

AND I am only 25% in so. . .

WeDealInLead
03-23-2020, 05:15 PM
Finished the Planet of Adventure series. About to start Red Dragon.

kingfan2323
03-23-2020, 05:31 PM
Finished the Planet of Adventure series. About to start Red Dragon.Enjoy. Whether you like a Harris book or not his writing style is like no other.

Brian861
03-23-2020, 09:31 PM
Finished the Planet of Adventure series. About to start Red Dragon.

Getting near the end of RD and I'm really enjoying.

St. Troy
03-24-2020, 06:08 AM
Just started Once Upon A River by Diane Setterfield. It's kind of a fairy tale involving mysterious doings among a 19th century community near a river. 85 pages in, not bad.

St. Troy
03-24-2020, 06:16 AM
I call Dune the greatest book I ever hated reading.

I can't say there's anything objectively bad about it: detailed and logical world-building; descriptive and propulsive writing; logical and intriguing plot with realistic political angles.

I can recommend it to anyone who likes sci-fi, anyone who wants to try sci-fi, anyone who just wants to see what all the fuss was about, or anyone intrigued by my previous paragraph - but I found it an incredible slog and couldn't enjoy the damn thing myself. Such is life. :shrug:

webstar1000
03-24-2020, 06:20 AM
I have not a single book store open.. I cannot even get any books right now to read:(

WeDealInLead
03-24-2020, 06:24 AM
Okay, I can send you Dark Advent if you cover shipping and return it whenever you're done.

webstar1000
03-24-2020, 06:27 AM
Okay, I can send you Dark Advent if you cover shipping and return it whenever you're done.

I would def do that brother. really man?

WeDealInLead
03-24-2020, 06:34 AM
Yeah man. I'm actually probably the only person who actively collects Hodge or you could just have it. PM me your address and I'll send it today. I'll also throw in some freebies I think you'd dig.

WeDealInLead
03-24-2020, 06:42 AM
Do you have Fahrenheit 451? I have more than one.

webstar1000
03-24-2020, 07:42 AM

Never read that either man

ladysai
03-24-2020, 07:46 AM

Never read that either man

OMG! I figured every book collector would have this book on their "must read" list!

Heather19
03-24-2020, 07:46 AM
Just started Once Upon A River by Diane Setterfield. It's kind of a fairy tale involving mysterious doings among a 19th century community near a river. 85 pages in, not bad.

Let me know how you enjoy this one. I have it sitting on my shelf but haven't gotten to it yet. Loved The Thirteenth Tale by her.

I have not a single book store open.. I cannot even get any books right now to read:(

Do you have a kindle? If not you could always get the kindle app. There's tons of authors doing free or deeply discounted e-books right now. You can also connect it to your library card and borrow ebooks from them as well.

webstar1000
03-24-2020, 08:06 AM

Let me know how you enjoy this one. I have it sitting on my shelf but haven't gotten to it yet. Loved The Thirteenth Tale by her.

Do you have a kindle? If not you could always get the kindle app. There's tons of authors doing free or deeply discounted e-books right now. You can also connect it to your library card and borrow ebooks from them as well.

No I tried a few years back to read a book on line.. and damm I just couldn't do it:(

Heather19
03-24-2020, 09:00 AM

No I tried a few years back to read a book on line.. and damm I just couldn't do it:(

I don't blame you, I can't read on a computer screen for long either. That's why I like the kindle, it looks like a page from a book your reading and not a screen. It doesn't strain my eyes.

Our little local bookstore closed for the week, and he put a rack of books outside for people to take for free. Too bad more places aren't doing that. Are there any little free libraries around your area? We have tons around here. Granted, who knows what you'll find in them, but it's better than nothing. https://littlefreelibrary.org/

Brian861
03-24-2020, 09:09 AM

Libraries aren't open either? I haven't checked to see if ours is here.

You could just sit on the couch and stream all day :)

Br!an
03-24-2020, 10:10 AM

Libraries aren't open either? I haven't checked to see if ours is here.

You could just sit on the couch and stream all day :)

They closed our local libraries and extended the due dates on checked out books to June 1.

webstar1000
03-24-2020, 10:36 AM
There is NO WHERE IN MY TOWN to buy or rent a book. I cannot watch TV all day.... ugg I want this over. They just said on our live report on TV just now that it will be a min 6 weeks like this and most likely 10. WTF

Garrell
03-24-2020, 10:44 AM
Move in USA. Our president acts as if he is ending it in two weeks.

Brian861
03-24-2020, 10:56 AM
Move in USA. Our president acts as if he is ending it in two weeks.

:rofl:

WeDealInLead
03-24-2020, 11:08 AM
Hey Kris, I just sent the care package. I'll be in touch when things are a little less hectic.

This is what's in the package other than Dark Advent. I put it in spoiler tags so the choice is up to you:

Bradbury - F451, Gene Wolfe - Shadow of the Torturer, Jack Vance - Son of the Tree/The Houses of Iszm double, Harlan Ellison - Phoenix Without Ashes

Ricky
03-24-2020, 02:06 PM
My Barnes and Noble is open, surprisingly. One of the few "entertainment" venues that is.

webstar1000
03-24-2020, 02:18 PM
Hey Kris, I just sent the care package. I'll be in touch when things are a little less hectic.

This is what's in the package other than Dark Advent. I put it in spoiler tags so the choice is up to you:

Bradbury - F451, Gene Wolfe - Shadow of the Torturer, Jack Vance - Son of the Tree/The Houses of Iszm double, Harlan Ellison - Phoenix Without Ashes

Oh wow.
Man, this is so kind of you. I cannot wait. I’m gonna read Dark Advent first. Seriously dude... this was too kind of you! I cannot wait. I owe you. Kris

ladysai
03-24-2020, 02:34 PM

Oh wow.
Man, this is so kind of you. I cannot wait. I’m gonna read Dark Advent first. Seriously dude... this was too kind of you! I cannot wait. I owe you. Kris

Absolutely awesome to see folks helping each other out! :thumbsup:

webstar1000
03-24-2020, 02:47 PM

Oh wow.

I lost my job. I’m fighting with my wife. Our trips coming up will not be refunded but a credit given... can’t see my parents. The list goes on... and then someone does something so nice I have no words. I can’t thank him enough... may be just a few books but it’s my sanity for the next bit. I’ll go somewhere else if you know what I mean. On an adventure per say during these hard times.

Brian861
03-24-2020, 04:04 PM
Great act of generosity!

WeDealInLead
03-24-2020, 04:26 PM

Oh wow.

I lost my job. I’m fighting with my wife. Our trips coming up will not be refunded but a credit given... can’t see my parents. The list goes on... and then someone does something so nice I have no words. I can’t thank him enough... may be just a few books but it’s my sanity for the next bit. I’ll go somewhere else if you know what I mean. On an adventure per say during these hard times.

Oh man, don't argue, you have to live there haha. On the other hand, makeup sex after three days of acting like collosal buttheads tends to be great. Just kidding.

This won't end us but I think we'll find out what we're made of. I'm hoping all of us here make it safely and without having to feel ashamed of ourselves. We all need to be like the father from The Road.

Ricky
03-31-2020, 05:58 AM
Thinking of either starting Full Throttle or The Troop next. Anyone have any opinions on either of those?

Heather19
03-31-2020, 06:09 AM
Started Of Foster Homes and Flies yesterday by Chad Lutzke. This is my first book by him, but it's an enjoyable quick read. I'll have to check out some more.

WeDealInLead
03-31-2020, 06:10 AM
When in doubt: first one, then the other.

Hunchback Jack
03-31-2020, 08:42 AM
Very nice gesture WDIL! Credit to you.

Girlystevedave
04-02-2020, 08:07 AM
Thinking of either starting Full Throttle or The Troop next. Anyone have any opinions on either of those?

I can't say anything about Full Throttle, but The Troop was pretty damn awesome.

Brian861
04-02-2020, 08:13 AM

Full Throttle only has a hand full of good stories IMO.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-02-2020, 09:04 AM
Reading THE TIME MACHINE, Suntup Press numbered edition.

kingfan2323
04-02-2020, 12:15 PM
Reading THE TIME MACHINE, Suntup Press numbered edition.Fun read. Feel nice to the touch?

Ricky
04-02-2020, 03:28 PM

I can't say anything about Full Throttle, but The Troop was pretty damn awesome.

I picked Full Throttle. I loved the introduction (I could read a whole book by Joe just about writing and stories from his childhood), and am now reading Throttle. Gotta read all the stories in order. :lol:

Amanda, I came very close to choosing The Troop, but after The Pandora Room, I wanted something less creature-y.

Brian861
04-03-2020, 10:25 AM

I picked Full Throttle. I loved the introduction (I could read a whole book by Joe just about writing and stories from his childhood), and am now reading Throttle. Gotta read all the stories in order. :lol:

Amanda, I came very close to choosing The Troop, but after The Pandora Room, I wanted something less creature-y.

The introduction is excellent!

Garrell
04-03-2020, 06:44 PM
Finished Swan Song by Robert McCammon today. Loved it, great fun read. I see why many say it is a top 100 book all time. My first by him but not last. Got a 1st/1st of Boy’s Life ready at some point.

Br!an
04-04-2020, 03:15 AM
Finished Swan Song by Robert McCammon today. Loved it, great fun read. I see why many say it is a top 100 book all time. My first by him but not last. Got a 1st/1st of Boy’s Life ready at some point.

That's a good one too. His two best novels I'd say

Girlystevedave
04-04-2020, 06:01 AM

:lol: I can understand that.

Aw yeah-uh! :thumbsup:

WeDealInLead
04-04-2020, 08:18 AM
I'm still reading The Collected Stories of Frank Herbert. Actually, I've only just now read half of it. I've also started Houses Under the Sea by Caitlin R. Kieran and I'm still chipping away at The Nightmare Chronicles by Douglas Clegg. All three are fantastic reads but I'm going to need a palate cleanser after these actual door stoppers. Maybe Murderbot Diaries 2.

Brian861
04-04-2020, 09:30 AM
Just finished Red Dragon and loved it! I liked the film and of course the book is better in this case. Gonna start The Silence of the Lambs next.

Garrell
04-04-2020, 09:36 AM
Just finished Red Dragon and loved it! I liked the film and of course the book is better in this case. Gonna start The Silence of the Lambs next.

Saw SOTL movie first and them read the book after hearing how much better it was. I thought it was identical which is not the norm.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-04-2020, 10:25 AM
Really? I thought SILENCE OF THE LAMBS was far superior to and much more detailed than the movie. I liked the movie, but I loved the book, which also goes for RED DRAGON. I think once I get the Suntup edition I am going to read all the Hannibal Lecter novels over again.
Oh, how I wish they hadn't cut that one character out of the book in the movie version of HANNIBAL!

Hunchback Jack
04-07-2020, 12:58 PM
I finished Mississippi Blood by Greg Iles, the most recent in his Penn Cage series. A good old courtroom trial drama with lots of twists and turns. All the various characters and events that Iles set up in the previous two books converge here. The result it not perfect, but it’s a pretty satisfying ending.

Now reading Canal Dreams by Iain Banks, a more somber novel about a cello player from Japan trapped in Panama during the American invasion of 1989. A departure for him, and I’m liking it.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-07-2020, 06:04 PM
I took the shrinkwrap off of Centipede Press's BLINDSIGHT and turned a few pages.

It smells good.

WeDealInLead
04-11-2020, 07:57 AM
Ugh, I wish Valancourt e-books weren't so expensive. They have so many books I'd like to read but $10 CAN/ $8 US for an eBook is a little too much.

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-11-2020, 08:42 AM
I'm on page 50 or so of BLINDSIGHT and if it doesn't get any better I'm seriously thinking about selling the set. The other one is still in the shrinkwrap. It's not that it's a bad book, it's just that I am an old fashioned reader and all this new tech stuff just doesn't hold my interest. I could go into more detail but I won't. I'll give it a few more pages.

WeDealInLead
04-11-2020, 08:49 AM
I'm interested in buying it if you decide to sell.

Ben Mears
04-13-2020, 01:41 PM
I've read 10 Michael Connelly (Lincoln Lawyer/Harry Bosch detective author) books in the past month and have a bunch more on hold at the library. Had never read his work prior to last month and, for the most part, have enjoyed the experience. Started on Black Hills by Dan Simmons for the third time and am determined to finish before new SK and John Sandford releases next Tuesday.

Heather19
04-13-2020, 02:40 PM
Working my way through Hell House. I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed in it. Maybe my expectations were too high, but it's not like what I was expecting. And all the sexual content is a bit off putting. Hoping to finish it soon so I can start something better.

Aremag
04-13-2020, 03:10 PM
Starting Little Heaven by Nick Cutter. I'm curious of how it'll stand up to The Troop and The Deep.

Hunchback Jack
04-14-2020, 09:51 AM
I finished Canal Dreams, and it was solid but not spectacular. The main "Panama" plot thread was very good, with some fine character development and suspense. The scenes in flashback were interesting, but didn't really mesh well with the main plot. I was expecting some episode in the character's past that would shed light on her behaviour in the main thread, but it didn't happen (or I missed it).

Anyway, now splitting my time between The Girl Who Lived Twice by David Lagercrantz (audio), and The Pursuit of the Pankera by Robert A. Heinlein (ebook).

HBJ

Jean
04-17-2020, 11:51 PM
Working my way through Hell House. I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed in it. Maybe my expectations were too high, but it's not like what I was expecting. And all the sexual content is a bit off putting. Hoping to finish it soon so I can start something better.
bears had to struggle through it, not very successfully

currently reading: Full Throttle by Joe Hill

Jean
04-17-2020, 11:53 PM
Really? I thought SILENCE OF THE LAMBS was far superior to and much more detailed than the movie. Absolutely. I didn't even like the movie, but loved the book, and was totally surprised at how good it was. (never could really get into the sequels, though)

kingfan2323
04-18-2020, 01:20 AM
Really? I thought SILENCE OF THE LAMBS was far superior to and much more detailed than the movie. Absolutely. I didn't even like the movie, but loved the book, and was totally surprised at how good it was. (never could really get into the sequels, though)Have to love the Book vs. Movie debate! Love it. Even as a film student it was hard to know how much the book matters? Or should the source material be ignored all together to gauge the movie on it's own merit? Or is it possible to separate the two? Interesting debate.

seeking: anything DT related #246

Jean
04-18-2020, 02:17 AM
this is actually a very interesting question. Logically I am inclined to separate the two and judge each on its own merit, but logic doesn't always help. Like, watching any King adaptation I can't but jump and yell every minute: it wasn't like this! why did she say it? where is that episode? and where did this episode come from? what did you do with that line, it was my favorite?!... well, you all know. I think it is much easier to separate them when neither is particularly dear to one's heart. I believe for me it is precisely the case with the Lambs: I found the movie moderately boring and pointless, and the book moderately (comparing to, for example, TDT or, I don't know, Dickens novels) intelligent and enjoyable

Ricky
04-18-2020, 08:29 AM

That's been on my list for awhile but in reading reviews, it did seem like it was pretty heavy on the sexual stuff, which kind of turned me off as well. You'll have to let me know your overall impression/recommendation when you finish.

currently reading: Full Throttle by Joe Hill

Me too! I have two stories left. My favorites so far were Dark Carousel, Faun, and Late Returns. How about you?

Jean
04-18-2020, 09:50 AM
I've only started, only three stories in. I think I liked every one better than the previous so far. Wolverton Station, even though it didn't go anywhere really far, had its brilliant moments, and -
Family Arms!!!
bears love such stuff beyond words

will see how the collection is fromm then on

Heather19
04-18-2020, 11:06 AM

That's been on my list for awhile but in reading reviews, it did seem like it was pretty heavy on the sexual stuff, which kind of turned me off as well. You'll have to let me know your overall impression/recommendation when you finish.

I'm not sure I would recommend it. It was ok to start but then as it continued I had to force myself to keep reading and just hurry up and finish it so I could move onto something better. I'm not surprised to hear that so many others also found it dull and a struggle, but I swear before I started it, I thought it only had high praise and everyone thought it was terrifying. It was nothing of the sort and I'd rate it as average and forgettable.

After I finished that one I picked up The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix. I loved it and could not put it down. Highly recommend this one.

Aremag
04-20-2020, 12:24 PM
Just started The Bank by Bentley Little. I've never read any of his books and all I know is that he seems to be not appreciated by some members here...especially a well known unboxer. I wouldn't have sought out any of his books but I received Walking Alone in a CD grab bag and The Bank in the CD ARC grab bag. I'm only a little bit into The Bank so I don't want to make any quick judgements but there is something about his writing that doesn't seem to work for me.

Brian861
04-20-2020, 03:15 PM
Just started The Bank by Bentley Little. I've never read any of his books and all I know is that he seems to be not appreciated by some members here...especially a well known unboxer. I wouldn't have sought out any of his books but I received Walking Alone in a CD grab bag and The Bank in the CD ARC grab bag. I'm only a little bit into The Bank so I don't want to make any quick judgements but there is something about his writing that doesn't seem to work for me.

Just forward 'em to Jeff. He loves that shit :)

ur2ndbiggestfan
04-20-2020, 06:43 PM
LEVITICUS

So many rules to follow!
So many poor animals slaughtered!
So much blood sprinkled!
Most of the decrees make sense in a health and sanitation and infectious disease and moral aspect, but you can not make a garment using two different kinds of thread? I do not understand that one.

Lookwhoitis
04-20-2020, 09:09 PM
Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson

Heather19
04-21-2020, 05:08 AM

I've only read one Bentley Little book, The University, and it scarred me so much I've been hesitant to pick up another by him, although I do have The Store sitting on my bookshelf for if I decide to. Not sure if all his books are like this or I just picked the wrong one to start with, but it was all gratuitous sex throughout the whole book, it was so off putting. Let me know what you think of The Bank once you're finished.

BigJoeHillfan
04-21-2020, 06:17 AM
Just finished Recursion by Blake Crouch. It was really good, but I think I liked Dark matter better. Finished The Troop by Nick Cutter. I really liked the story and the way it was done with the news clips, but it was more gory than scary to me. Just starting Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons.

Heather19
04-21-2020, 02:13 PM
I loved Recursion. The wait for a new Blake Crouch is torture.

Ricky
04-21-2020, 03:21 PM

I've only read one Bentley Little book, The University, and it scarred me so much I've been hesitant to pick up another by him, although I do have The Store sitting on my bookshelf for if I decide to. Not sure if all his books are like this or I just picked the wrong one to start with, but it was all gratuitous sex throughout the whole book, it was so off putting. Let me know what you think of The Bank once you're finished.

I haven't read any Bentley Little books but that's the vibe I get from the plot descriptions and reviews: gratuitous gore and sex for the sake of having gratuitous gore and sex.

Just finished Recursion by Blake Crouch. It was really good, but I think I liked Dark matter better. Finished The Troop by Nick Cutter. I really liked the story and the way it was done with the news clips, but it was more gory than scary to me. Just starting Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons.

I really enjoyed Recursion as well but think that I also liked Dark Matter more. I got The Troop for Christmas but haven't felt it calling to me yet.

I finished Full Throttle last night and am going to finally start On Writing in the next day or so. I've had it on my list for forever (!) and had been "saving" it (it's one of the ten or so unread King books I have left :( ) but feel like it's the right time now that I'm in the middle of re-writes for a new book.

kingfan2323
04-21-2020, 10:40 PM

I haven't read any Bentley Little books but that's the vibe I get from the plot descriptions and reviews: gratuitous gore and sex for the sake of having gratuitous gore and sex.

I really enjoyed Recursion as well but think that I also liked Dark Matter more. I got The Troop for Christmas but haven't felt it calling to me yet.

I finished Full Throttle last night and am going to finally start On Writing in the next day or so. I've had it on my list for forever (!) and had been "saving" it (it's one of the ten or so unread King books I have left :( ) but feel like it's the right time now that I'm in the middle of re-writes for a new book.You are in for a treat. Bet you will pick up some best practices (ughh. . . Did I just regurgitate a corporate term. Ha!) and I think it is the closest to a King autobiography we will ever get.

kingfan2323
04-21-2020, 10:49 PM
Dune, The Border by Don Winslow, Regulators (re-read), If It Bleeds , The Langoliers (re-read)

Ben Mears
04-22-2020, 03:48 AM
Finished Black Hills last night. As typical of Simmons' historical fiction he gives the reader a lot to work through and think about.

Ricky
04-22-2020, 05:54 AM
]Bet you will pick up some best practices (ughh. . . Did I just regurgitate a corporate term.

I groan at that term, too. Same thing with "good of the group." :lol:

WeDealInLead
04-22-2020, 06:34 AM
I just want to say that Houses Under the Sea by Caitlin R. Kiernan is one of the finest short stories I have ever read. Definitely top 10, possibly top 5. Wow! Just wow.

WeDealInLead
04-22-2020, 06:36 AM
Finished Black Hills last night. As typical of Simmons' historical fiction he gives the reader a lot to work through and think about.

I remember writing reviews like this, haha. It's in what you're not saying where the truth is.

kingfan2323
04-22-2020, 07:11 AM
]Bet you will pick up some best practices (ughh. . . Did I just regurgitate a corporate term.

I groan at that term, too. Same thing with "good of the group." [emoji38]"Let's parking lot that idea"
"We like to say what we would do different, not that it is wrong"

Ughh

Ben Mears
04-22-2020, 07:42 AM

I remember writing reviews like this, haha. It's in what you're not saying where the truth is.

I give Dan Simmons more leeway than I do with other authors...sometimes to my chagrin!

Hunchback Jack
04-22-2020, 01:20 PM
I've yet to read Black Hills - it's on my list of Simmons' recent work that I've yet to around to. The last recent novel of his I read was Drood, which I enjoyed immensely. Although I have read some of his back catalogue more recently than Drood.

HBJ

Ben Mears
04-22-2020, 01:29 PM
I've yet to read Black Hills - it's on my list of Simmons' recent work that I've yet to around to. The last recent novel of his I read was Drood, which I enjoyed immensely. Although I have read some of his back catalogue more recently than Drood.

HBJ

If you liked Drood you might like The Fifth Heart as well.

St. Troy
04-22-2020, 02:40 PM

Quite good - do read it.

Heather19
04-22-2020, 04:01 PM
Thanks! Will try to get to it soon.

Lookwhoitis
04-24-2020, 09:58 PM
Tonight I begin a special re-read. I am embarking on reading the Stand, uncut in the middle of this pandemic lockdown! crazy huh?

I dont believe I have ever read the uncut version before and it's certainly possible that I have not read the Stand since I was a teenager. It is hard for me to remember my early King reading history. I do remember being enraptured by the Stand when I first read it. It really knocked my socks off.

and now I am off to experience the Dark Chest of Wonders :rose:

Jean
04-24-2020, 11:30 PM
I dont believe I have ever read the uncut version beforeoh I wish I could say the same! only to be able to read the Uncut for the first time again. It's superb (even though Heather :rose: doesn't seem to think so)

Tommy
04-24-2020, 11:32 PM
I dont believe I have ever read the uncut version beforeoh I wish I could say the same! only to be able to read the Uncut for the first time again. It's superb (even though Heather :rose: doesn't seem to think so)

What is your favorite book, Jean?

Jean
04-24-2020, 11:36 PM
It, if we're talking King books now, with the Stand a very close runner-up
(otherwise... everything Dickens and Dostoyevsky ever wrote, and Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis). Yours?

(actually, as a mod I am supposed to redirect us both to a thread where favorite books are discussed, LOL)

Tommy
04-24-2020, 11:42 PM
It, if we're talking King books now, with the Stand a very close runner-up
(otherwise... everything Dickens and Dostoyevsky ever wrote, and Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis). Yours?

(actually, as a mod I am supposed to redirect us both to a thread where favorite books are discussed, LOL)

It will just be one post for me, my eyes have gotten to where I can't read, at least not for more than ten minutes at a time so I am way behind.

Of King's IT is my favorite as well and The Stand too, just like Bears!

Not King, I also love Dostoevsky (especially Crime and Punishment and The Brothers' Karamozov).

Anything by William Faulkner.

Anything Truman Capote wrote, love James Joyce, Moby Dick, Thomas Harris (for the most part).
Catch-22, Lolita, The Great Gatsby, I like Anne Rice and Chuck Palahniuk too.

Maybe we should be redirected! Ha! Sorry, more to name....I've actually never read Dickens, except for A Christmas Carol.

Jean
04-24-2020, 11:49 PM
oh grrrr so sorry about your eyes! have much the same with mine, so understand you very well

whenever your eyes allow you to read again, let's come to this thread (I re-quoted you there)

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11072-15-books-of-my-life

and then go on. It is interesting, and I sooooo missed these conversation during my absence