PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72

Garrell
09-11-2019, 08:50 AM
I just downloaded The Troop based off your recommendation. Here we go!
Nice! Let me know how you end up liking it. :)
100 pages in. So far, so good! :cool:

I love Cutter's descriptive powers.
The Troop is on my read list

Girlystevedave
09-11-2019, 12:24 PM
I just downloaded The Troop based off your recommendation. Here we go!
Nice! Let me know how you end up liking it. :)
100 pages in. So far, so good! :cool:

I love Cutter's descriptive powers.

Right?! It's so rare for me to sink into a story with such ease, but it felt as comfortable as King's writing style. I'm looking forward to reading more of his stuff.

WeDealInLead
09-19-2019, 11:10 AM
This is a public service announcement for the benefit of all humanity: new Laird Barron just came out.

That is all.

WeDealInLead
09-22-2019, 03:14 PM
Children of Ruin by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Phenomenal stuff.

I'm actually rereading the first hundred or so pages, it's that good.

This was amazing. If you like the modern science fiction writers like Cixin Liu but you grew up on Arthur C. Clarke, this just might be for you. The theme actually isn't unlike 2001 and Childhood's End (in short, the next stage of evolution) but this time it's humans who venture out to terraform planets. Except it's not a monolith but a nanovirus.

This is top tier science fiction.

I'm about to read The Grand Dark by Richard Kadrey, best known for his Sandman Slim series.

ratchet41
09-23-2019, 02:28 PM
Castle Roogna by Piers Anthony i had started it like a year ago and put it down i picked it up last night and i'm gonna hopefully finish it tonight

ratchet41
09-25-2019, 05:32 PM
well i did end up finishing it the other night and i started the next book Centaur Aisle and old one from (1981) that would be the 4th book in the series. i've read this one as well this would be i think the i think 3rd time i've read i think?

WeDealInLead
09-25-2019, 06:56 PM
I picked up Brother from the library. 50 pages in, it's pretty good. I'll probably finish it by the end of the week. Then it's The Institute and We Live Inside Your Eyes.

I'm also reading Murder of Jesus Christ by John R. Little but only a chapter or two a day. He's not exactly prolific so I'm trying to make it last. And yes, it's a book by Little, you can bet there's time travel in it.

I also read the first novella in the Binti trilogy. Some pretty cool gadgets but the writing was a little too YA. Back to the library it goes.

Ben Mears
09-26-2019, 05:03 AM
Joe R. Lansdale - The Elephant of Surprise Excellent as always from JRL.
Andrew McCarthy - Ball Of Collusion (much scarier than The Institute!). Well written and researched.
Edward Levy - The Beast Within. First read this in early 80s.

kingfan2323
09-26-2019, 11:21 AM
Started the much hated Cari Mora by Thomas Harris last night. See how it goes.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF

ratchet41
09-26-2019, 03:44 PM
how is it so far? i dunno Thomas Harris's work i mean i have heard of the red dragon of course and Hannibal both movie wise and bookwise and i do own red dragon on paperback and hannibal on hardback but i've never read them well not yet anyways.

kingfan2323
09-26-2019, 05:20 PM
how is it so far? i dunno Thomas Harris's work i mean i have heard of the red dragon of course and Hannibal both movie wise and bookwise and i do own red dragon on paperback and hannibal on hardback but i've never read them well not yet anyways.Red dragon, Silence, and Hannibal are excellent. Hannibal Rising not too good. Cari Mora I have not read enough of yet. But one thing that is great about Harris is even if the story ultimately may fail his writing is amazing.

Uncle Stevie said it as only he can: https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190927/b85da5f5389acf4f399eeee70adf8722.jpg

Garrell
09-26-2019, 07:16 PM
It wasn’t great but it was enjoyable. Half way through The Institute and absolutely love it. So far, it is good old SK at it’s best.

webstar1000
09-27-2019, 03:32 AM
The Institute is AWESOME SO FAR. I cannot put it down... like 80's King here!!!

Brian861
09-27-2019, 09:03 AM
The Institute is AWESOME SO FAR. I cannot put it down... like 80's King here!!!

I'm really liking it as well.

Ben Mears
09-29-2019, 05:02 PM
Justice On Trial -Mollie Hemingway & Carrie Severino. A chilling account of the Kavanaugh Supreme Court confirmation.

Heather19
09-30-2019, 04:50 AM
I'm also reading The Institute. Only about 1/3 of the way in but really enjoying it so far.

Ricky
09-30-2019, 06:26 AM
I'm looking forward to The Institute. It seems like people here are really enjoying it. I'm reading Fantasticland now, then going to continue the Halloween-ish books for October with Lore and The Turn of the Key.

St. Troy
10-02-2019, 08:51 AM
I recently finished A Clash Of Kings (George R. R. Martin). Nothing new to report: it continued to be exciting, surprising, violent, and engaging, and I still can't wait to read the next one (A Storm Of Swords), although I will have to.

Some great quotes from Tyrion, who is becoming one of my all-time favorite characters to read:

“…it doesn’t seem quite just that you should open your legs for one brother and not the other.”

“Truly, sister, you were born to be a widow…Now, if you are done slapping me, I will be off.”

“Look at me, Pod. It unnerves me when you talk to my codpiece, especially when I’m not wearing one.”

“Take them, thank me, and begone before I’m forced to take a crab fork to you again.”

"A pity Stannis and Renly aren’t twelve-year-old girls as well.”

“Sorcery is the sauce fools spoon over failure to hide the flavor of their own incompetence.”

“If you die stupidly, I’m going to feed your body to the goats…”

“Those are brave men...Let’s go kill them.”

St. Troy
10-02-2019, 09:02 AM
I recently began Centipede Press' Library of Weird Fiction volume of Arthur Machen (I'm 116 pages in, in the middle of the third story) (see http://www.centipedepress.com/masters/machenlwf.html). This is the first (and only) book from CP that I've owned. It's one of their more modest offerings ($45, not the giant beast of Machen they did under the "Masters of the Weird Tale" banner; see http://www.centipedepress.com/masters/arthurmachen.html), which is not to say there's anything wrong with it; it's a nice cloth-bound black book that feels right for an October read.

It opens with The Great God Pan - the big one, that whose name accompanies all mentions of Machen in examinations of the genre; to say I was looking forward to this would be an understatement. Perhaps I expected too much; it struck me as low-octane Lovecraft (who I love), although it packed more answers in its resolution than I'd expected, and, no matter what else, this is the kind of weird fiction I enjoy, and I did enjoy it, so I can't really complain.

There have been some fun quotes:

“…I listened to what I was told out of a constitutional liking for useless information…”

“I don’t approve of slang, mind you, but such was my condition.”

“…a strange tissue of improbabilities strung together with the ingenuity of a born meddler in plots and mysteries…”

“Though to all appearance devoid of romance, Salisbury had some relish for street rows, and was, indeed, somewhat of an amateur in the more amusing phases of drunkenness; he therefore composed himself to listen and observe with something of the air of a subscriber to grand opera.”

Ben Mears
10-02-2019, 10:56 AM
Juggling 4 right now:

Bloody Genius - John Sandford. For my money Sandford is the most consistently entertaining and enjoyable author that I read. Some may find him formulaic (usually happens when writing a series) and trite but I love his pacing, dialogue exchanges (there at least 2-3 laugh out loud lines per book) and plot creativity. I liken him to listening to AC/DC: you know what you are going to get every time out.
October Dark - David Herter. Channeling his inner Ray Bradbury and sort of succeeding.
End Of Summer: 13 Tales of Halloween - J. Tonzelli. Some really good stories.
The Conservative Sensibility - George Will. Well written and educational.

Heather19
10-03-2019, 04:14 AM
Has anyone read The Invited by Jennifer McMahon? Is it better than The Winter People? I wasn't a fan of that one but this one sounds intriguing and I'll be seeing her next weekend so thinking of picking it up.

WeDealInLead
10-04-2019, 07:49 PM
Recently finished Brother. Solid read. Albhorn didn't pull any punches and I'm a big fan of that even if it hurts. The Murder of Jesus Christ by John R Little was an interesting read. It's somehow both blasphemous and religious. Pretty neat but not my favourite Little. The Institute by this guy whose name rhymes with Stephen King was a serviceable and readable later King book, but ultimately it was bloated and IMO failed at one thing King used to excel at: characterization. I posted a few spoilerish thoughts in The Institute discussion thread.

I haven't decided what I'm going to fully commit to yet. I have Epitaphs by Tom Piccirilli that I read at work during downtime but that's it. I might tackle the collected stories of Frank Herbert. I admit that I'm intimidated by it. I might re-read The Ceremonies by T.E.D. Klein too

Garrell
10-05-2019, 07:25 AM
Almost done with The Institute. It is so far one of my faves of his, reminds me of his 80's work.

kingfan2323
10-05-2019, 08:46 AM
Started Brother to see what all the fuss is about.

WeDealInLead
10-05-2019, 01:09 PM
I just came home from a local ComicCon where I accompanied my daughter. I saw the Smoking Man, Skinner and Lt. Tasha Yar and more importantly, I came home with a handful of signed/inscribed books from ChiZine Publications. I met and chatted with Michael Rowe, Sandra Kasturi and a few more authors.

Hollywood North is set in a small town in Ontario and it's being recommend to fans of Boy's Life meets The Body. So that's what I'll be reading next and then it's going to be October by Michael Rowe.

October: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36687498-october?from_search=true

Hollywood North (4.86% on Goodreads)
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43249318-hollywood-north?from_search=true

The War Beneath: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40035566-the-war-beneath?from_search=true

The Bone Mother
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31944708-the-bone-mother?from_search=true

ratchet41
10-05-2019, 01:44 PM
really his 80's work? NICE at least with his new one he'll remember writing it lol. and i'm still am reading Centaur Aisle i've been reading almost a chapter a day but there were days this week i didn't read at all because i was just to damn tired from work. so i may read some tonight. i'm i think nearly 100 pages into it now i believe.

WeDealInLead
10-11-2019, 10:04 AM
I'm rereading The Ceremonies by T.E.D. Klein. His are stories that get even better the second time around; that low key drive to finish the book is gone and one can enjoy the details at a leisurely pace.

If you're not familiar -- and this is just how I would describe him-- if you can imagine King, Straub and Charles Grant all rolled into one, you'd get Klein.

Aremag
10-15-2019, 03:50 PM
I just finished reading The Troop by Nick Cutter which I didn't find scary....more disturbing. I'm about to start The Fireman by Joe Hill that somehow I completely missed when it first came out.

webstar1000
10-17-2019, 03:00 AM
Reading Heath Shaped Box. Then looking for a real page turner. Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeDealInLead
10-17-2019, 05:53 AM
Dean Koontz - Intensity. You'll read it one sitting if you can set three uninterrupted hours aside.

fernandito
10-17-2019, 08:10 AM
Reading Heath Shaped Box. Then looking for a real page turner. Anyone?

Short and sweet and terrifying? Try The Deep by Nick Cutter.

Ricky
10-17-2019, 02:03 PM
Started The Turn of the Key a few days ago for my second October read. After that I'm hoping to get to Lore.

jsmcmullen92
10-17-2019, 03:47 PM
Started The Turn of the Key a few days ago for my second October read. After that I'm hoping to get to Lore.What ever happened to your book? I totally forgot I even ordered it

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ricky
10-17-2019, 04:47 PM
I'm actually getting ready to send out another update soon. I finally received my editorial notes so now the process of applying them begins!

Kraken
10-18-2019, 07:44 AM
Just finished children of time by Adrian Tchaikovsky after some positive comments here.
Had it on my shelf for over a year as I’m sure I read somewhere it was YA. Really enjoyed it.
Also recently finished brother by Ania ahlborn which I also enjoyed.

sentinel
10-18-2019, 07:55 AM
Just finished Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky. Excellent read!!
A cross between IT and The Stand!
Chbosky pays homage to SK, even in the credits.

St. Troy
10-18-2019, 10:04 AM

Jeez, that doesn't raise expectations.

Garrell
10-18-2019, 10:52 AM

Hope it is good, ordered a signed copy :)

becca69
10-18-2019, 12:51 PM

I just started it!

webstar1000
10-18-2019, 01:03 PM

I just started it!

Becca should I get it?

ratchet41
10-19-2019, 06:25 PM
well Other than Centaur Aisle by Piers Anthony which i've been reading here and there which is why i haven't finished it yet, though i am more than halfway done with i'm also reading Elton John's New Bio called ME that i bought the other day.on that one i'm only on Chapter 1 as i haven't picked it up to read all that much

Mattrick
10-20-2019, 11:57 AM
I've got to read a book for school. There were a few options on the list that are on my to read list like House of Sand and Fog, 1984, and No Country For Old Men, but considering the subjects for our essay, I'm going to reread Crime and Punishment instead. I've been wanting to read this really nice leatherbound edition I've had. I couldn't find much on the quality of this translation, but it seems it's competent. I only read the Constance Garnett translation which a lot of people are sour on so I'm hoping I'll enjoy this version.

kingfan2323
10-20-2019, 01:17 PM
I've got to read a book for school. There were a few options on the list that are on my to read list like House of Sand and Fog, 1984, and No Country For Old Men, but considering the subjects for our essay, I'm going to reread Crime and Punishment instead. I've been wanting to read this really nice leatherbound edition I've had. I couldn't find much on the quality of this translation, but it seems it's competent. I only read the Constance Garnett translation which a lot of people are sour on so I'm hoping I'll enjoy this version.Would love to see your Leatherbound Crime & Punishment if you get a chance. Great book.

Mattrick
10-20-2019, 05:48 PM
I've got to read a book for school. There were a few options on the list that are on my to read list like House of Sand and Fog, 1984, and No Country For Old Men, but considering the subjects for our essay, I'm going to reread Crime and Punishment instead. I've been wanting to read this really nice leatherbound edition I've had. I couldn't find much on the quality of this translation, but it seems it's competent. I only read the Constance Garnett translation which a lot of people are sour on so I'm hoping I'll enjoy this version.

Would love to see your Leatherbound Crime & Punishment if you get a chance. Great book.

https://scontent.fymy1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/531688_10152524644075571_142332108_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1 07&_nc_oc=AQm-41yAFFH4WqIXKg99LmQdkDaKYdpNCGHwKBolWc2CKLJ1vZqcRG ICnKL8Xa4JlR4&_nc_ht=scontent.fymy1-1.fna&oh=2370fc900aaff2c7cb5e7031590826e2&oe=5E16E089
https://scontent.fybz2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/408534_10152524644320571_692801612_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1 04&_nc_oc=AQlTOzkMPXq7sTTnEwKTc5c1nTwg3m6iSKXF7OuoOj6 Igg2n3ukLYOuw7XRqhfzDII0&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-2.fna&oh=1de86582bb6ea386fb935a328d76e192&oe=5E5E9578

It's got nice, shiny gilt edges too.

kingfan2323
10-20-2019, 09:51 PM
Nice!

Garrell
10-26-2019, 09:25 AM
Just finished Brother by Ania Ahlborn, WOW!!!!
Gonna finish reading Bazaar of Bad Dreams or maybe another Ania. That book was amazing.

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-26-2019, 10:13 AM
This is the first time I ever looked in this thread.
I am now reading THE UNQUIET DREAMER A Tribute to Harlan Ellison.
Some really bad stories, some okay stories, some almost good stories, I'm just past 3/4 of the way through. All just my opinion of course.

kingfan2323
10-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Gonna finish reading Bazaar of Bad Dreams or maybe another Ania. That book was amazing.Simple and straightforward in a good way right? Would have never discovered it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kingfan2323
10-26-2019, 10:17 AM
25 pages into Summer of Night by Dan Simmons.

Garrell
10-26-2019, 10:31 AM
Gonna finish reading Bazaar of Bad Dreams or maybe another Ania. That book was amazing.Simple and straightforward in a good way right? Would have never discovered it.

Yes, a top notch story. Great read. If you love the horror genre and miss this one, shame on you. Thank you Paul Suntup for bringing awareness to a great book.

Heather19
10-27-2019, 10:37 AM
I'm about halfway thru The Manse by Lisa W. Cantrell. I wanted a Halloween book to read. Loving it so far.

Mattrick
10-27-2019, 05:29 PM
I'm reading The Kite Runner for school. I'm about 1/6 of the way in. It's pretty good so far.

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-30-2019, 04:54 AM
Just finished FACE IT by Debbie Harry. I really enjoyed it. I like reading autobiographies of movie stars/rock and rollers I like, whether they actually wrote every word themselves or not or whether I agree with all their beliefs or not. To me it's fascinating stuff. Recommended.

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-30-2019, 11:12 AM
I am now reading the Suntup Press Artist Gift Edition of Horns by Joe Hill. Not only does the book smell nice, it is a surprisingly good story and I am on page 94 already, with some very nice color illustrations to bring it to further life. This is the first Hill novel I have ever read and I am very glad I am doing so! Way to go Mister Hill and Mister Suntup and Ms. Kaczan!

zelig
10-30-2019, 12:04 PM
Thanks Steve. Very kind of you.

mattgreenbean
10-30-2019, 12:11 PM
I am now reading the Suntup Press Artist Gift Edition of Horns by Joe Hill. Not only does the book smell nice, it is a surprisingly good story and I am on page 94 already, with some very nice color illustrations to bring it to further life. This is the first Hill novel I have ever read and I am very glad I am doing so! Way to go Mister Hill and Mister Suntup and Ms. Kaczan!

I remember reading the first couple of chapters standing in line at my Walmart when it came out. Had me hooked!

Heather19
10-30-2019, 05:22 PM
I've been reading some Halloween books recently. Finished The Manse which I absolutely loved. Also read This is Halloween by James A. Moore. There were some really good short stories in this one. And then I've been reading random stories from Doorbells at Dusk. So far its had some good stories, but then also some not so great stories.

Tommy
10-30-2019, 05:39 PM
Frankenstein, finally. It might be the last book I actually read. I may have to turn to audio books from now on. Anyway, been meaning to read it for years. The fact that a teenage girl wrote this dark, dark work with such heavy themes makes me smile. God bless the Darkness! :evil:

Ricky
10-30-2019, 06:47 PM
I've been reading some Halloween books recently. Finished The Manse which I absolutely loved. Also read This is Halloween by James A. Moore. There were some really good short stories in this one. And then I've been reading random stories from Doorbells at Dusk. So far its had some good stories, but then also some not so great stories.

You've been doing some serious Halloween reading! :clap:

So, are you gonna keep it going after tomorrow? I finished The Turn of the Key today (my second Halloween read of the month) and am torn whether to read Lore, or force myself to end the Halloweening. :lol:

Mattrick
10-30-2019, 08:42 PM
I'm actually getting ready to send out another update soon. I finally received my editorial notes so now the process of applying them begins!

That's where the fun begins. Hopefully your editor didn't say you should cut roughly 70 pages of content like mine did haha

Heather19
10-31-2019, 04:26 AM

You've been doing some serious Halloween reading! :clap:

So, are you gonna keep it going after tomorrow? I finished The Turn of the Key today (my second Halloween read of the month) and am torn whether to read Lore, or force myself to end the Halloweening. :lol:

So I'm going back to my youth and I'm also currently reading Fear St. Halloween Party by R.L. Stine today :D But then I'm torn. I also have The Torments which is the sequel to The Manse, but I did put King on hold last week to read these books, so I'm thinking I should really finish up The Institute. Maybe I'll keep The Torments for next Halloween.

Also how was Turn of the Key? It sounds good but I really didn't care for her 2 other books that I read so I've been hesitant to try this one.

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-31-2019, 04:35 AM
Frankenstein, finally. It might be the last book I actually read. I may have to turn to audio books from now on. Anyway, been meaning to read it for years. The fact that a teenage girl wrote this dark, dark work with such heavy themes makes me smile. God bless the Darkness! :evil:

I read FRANKENSTEIN many, many years ago. Time for a re-read, I think.

Garrell
10-31-2019, 04:54 AM
1/3 of the way through Seed by Ania Ahlborn. Spooky and enjoyable.

kingfan2323
10-31-2019, 08:01 AM
1/3 of the way through Seed by Ania Ahlborn. Spooky and enjoyable.Kindly let us know if it tops Brother, Garrell.

looking for: The Terror S/L,
Dead Zone 1st/1st F or NF, Boy's Life S/L

Garrell
10-31-2019, 08:21 AM
1/3 of the way through Seed by Ania Ahlborn. Spooky and enjoyable.Kindly let us know if it tops Brother, Garrell.

That will be hard to do (top Brother). I will let you know

kingfan2323
10-31-2019, 08:46 AM

That will be hard to do (top Brother). I will let you knowFigure that Brother is her best but curious. There is a movie she mentions at the end of Brother that served as her inspiration for the story. Watching that this weekend.

webstar1000
10-31-2019, 08:55 AM

That will be hard to do (top Brother). I will let you knowFigure that Brother is her best but curious. There is a movie she mentions at the end of Brother that served as her inspiration for the story. Watching that this weekend.

What movie?

Kongo
10-31-2019, 09:00 AM
1/3 of the way through Seed by Ania Ahlborn. Spooky and enjoyable.

I loved Brother so much, I just started Seed as well. The more I read, the more I hope Paul gives it the same treatment he gave Brother. Although ultimately Brother is pretty damn hard to top

Ricky
10-31-2019, 06:16 PM
That's where the fun begins. Hopefully your editor didn't say you should cut roughly 70 pages of content like mine did haha

Nothing quite that extensive. If anything, she wants more. More character depth, descriptions, expansions on some scenes, etc. I want to keep my momentum going as I finish up my current project before I jump into edits, though. My goal is to have the new one done by Thanksgiving.

So I'm going back to my youth and I'm also currently reading Fear St. Halloween Party by R.L. Stine today :D But then I'm torn. I also have The Torments which is the sequel to The Manse, but I did put King on hold last week to read these books, so I'm thinking I should really finish up The Institute. Maybe I'll keep The Torments for next Halloween.

Also how was Turn of the Key? It sounds good but I really didn't care for her 2 other books that I read so I've been hesitant to try this one.

Nice! I never read any R.L. Stine when I was a kid (I did watch the Goosebumps show, though), but I red Red Rain a few years ago and loved it. I'd definitely recommend it. He describes it as a book for the kids who grew up on Goosebumps who are now adults.

And I enjoyed Turn of the Key, though I wouldn't rave about it. The writing was just okay and I wasn't completely happy with the resolution. It was very readable, though, and a page-turner. Which others of hers did you read? As I was finishing it up I was thinking I don't think I'll be in a rush to check out her other stuff. I do have In a Dark, Dark Wood, though.

Mattrick
10-31-2019, 07:18 PM

Nothing quite that extensive. If anything, she wants more. More character depth, descriptions, expansions on some scenes, etc. I want to keep my momentum going as I finish up my current project before I jump into edits, though. My goal is to have the new one done by Thanksgiving.

My main issue was pacing. Too much characterization in the first half and it took too long for the horror stuff to really start. My editor said it took to long to get going for horror fans, and the horror was far too graphic and violent for those who like the dramatic aspect.

I always find I add more on later drafts and then take away. I haven't quite gotten the feel for nailing description and character depth on the first go around, but I'm getting better at it. Once I'm done with school in two months I'm going to take a few weeks and really nail the final edit of The Need and finally shop it around. I've currently got 3 different new novels in various stages of completion as well (and one of those is Vol 2 of about 7 volumes), so It's going to be years before I don't have something to work on.

You have any issues coming up with a second book? The second book for me was hit and miss, but the third book I literally wrote in three weeks. Came out of me like a deluge.

Heather19
11-01-2019, 04:18 AM

Nice! I never read any R.L. Stine when I was a kid (I did watch the Goosebumps show, though), but I red Red Rain a few years ago and loved it. I'd definitely recommend it. He describes it as a book for the kids who grew up on Goosebumps who are now adults.

And I enjoyed Turn of the Key, though I wouldn't rave about it. The writing was just okay and I wasn't completely happy with the resolution. It was very readable, though, and a page-turner. Which others of hers did you read? As I was finishing it up I was thinking I don't think I'll be in a rush to check out her other stuff. I do have In a Dark, Dark Wood, though.

I think I have Red Rain already on my kindle. I should bump it up my tbr list. And maybe I'll pass on Turn of the Key. It sounds like it might be somewhat similar to her others. I've read In a Dark, Dark Wood, and The Woman in Cabin 10. I urge you not to waste your time with Woman in Cabin 10. It was horrible. Super unreliable narrator, predictable, and exactly the same as every other book in that genre I've read. In a Dark, Dark Wood was a little better but I also wasn't impressed with it unfortunately :(

Ricky
11-01-2019, 03:12 PM
My main issue was pacing. Too much characterization in the first half and it took too long for the horror stuff to really start. My editor said it took to long to get going for horror fans, and the horror was far too graphic and violent for those who like the dramatic aspect.

Yeah, I can understand that. It sounds like that's one of those things that outside readers would pick up, so that's good that you got some good feedback to use when re-writing.

I always find I add more on later drafts and then take away. I haven't quite gotten the feel for nailing description and character depth on the first go around, but I'm getting better at it.

You have any issues coming up with a second book? The second book for me was hit and miss, but the third book I literally wrote in three weeks. Came out of me like a deluge.

I feel similarly in terms of better with descriptions and characters upon later drafts, especially because a lot of times when I'm writing, I realize I don't really "get" the characters until after I've spent a long period of writing time with them, so then the latter half is great, but the first half needs some more depth and tweaking.

And no, no issues with a new book. SHOWTIME was my second and I'm currently finishing up my third. SHOWTIME was more difficult than the first in terms of juggling logistics with the plot devices, but I feel like the characters and writing and pacing were better than my first. As for the third, I feel like it's been the most easy writing process of the three.

I think I have Red Rain already on my kindle. I should bump it up my tbr list. And maybe I'll pass on Turn of the Key. It sounds like it might be somewhat similar to her others. I've read In a Dark, Dark Wood, and The Woman in Cabin 10. I urge you not to waste your time with Woman in Cabin 10. It was horrible. Super unreliable narrator, predictable, and exactly the same as every other book in that genre I've read. In a Dark, Dark Wood was a little better but I also wasn't impressed with it unfortunately :(

Yes, you should bump up Red Rain. :D It's a pretty quick/page-turning read.

Oh jeeze, sounds like The Woman in Cabin 10 isn't great then. I wonder if she's a one trick pony? I'm not a fan of unreliable narrators. Was it written in first person? I'm really tired of this whole "domestic suspense" trend: women with secrets who "might have done something horrible", unreliable narrators, alcoholism, etc.

WeDealInLead
11-02-2019, 05:33 PM
I needed a lighter read after battling The Ceremonies and Harvest Home simultaneously, so I picked up a few biographies: Dave Mustaine, Dave Ellefson, and Harley Flanagan's. Flanagan's was by far the favourite.

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Just finished CARI MORA by Thomas Harris today, which I started late yesterday. It seemed more like a very elaborate outline than a full novel, and I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it had been more fleshed out and twice as long. Too many characters and details thrown at me at once. I still liked it, but not near as much as I liked his other novels. I still have to read BLACK SUNDAY one day.

kingfan2323
11-04-2019, 04:57 PM
Just finished CARI MORA by Thomas Harris today, which I started late yesterday. It seemed more like a very elaborate outline than a full novel, and I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it had been more fleshed out and twice as long. Too many characters and details thrown at me at once. I still liked it, but not near as much as I liked his other novels. I still have to read BLACK SUNDAY one day.Interesting breakdown. Well said. His writing style is like no other, which I enjoy.

Aremag
11-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Just finished The Fireman by Joe Hill which I enjoyed overall but I could predict some of the ending way too early for my liking. I just started The Deep by Nick Cutter and it pulled me in immediately.

Hunchback Jack
11-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Just finished CARI MORA by Thomas Harris today, which I started late yesterday. It seemed more like a very elaborate outline than a full novel, and I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it had been more fleshed out and twice as long. Too many characters and details thrown at me at once. I still liked it, but not near as much as I liked his other novels. I still have to read BLACK SUNDAY one day.

Good observation. I liked its tautness, its fast pace, that it was pared down to the bone, but I agree that some important scenes could have been fleshed out a bit to delay the resolution.

Your comments make me wonder whether Cari Mora started life as a screenplay; I think Harris has written those in the past? He did the one for Hannibal Rising, at least.

HBJ

mae
11-06-2019, 11:37 AM
This book sounds fascinating but it's not available on Hoopla, so I'll need to pick up a copy soon it seems!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxJdEb12Nv4

WeDealInLead
11-08-2019, 06:05 PM
Just finished The Light Brigade by Kameron Hurley. It's like Starship Troopers, The Forever War, and All You Need Is Kill all rolled into one book. Pretty cool.

St. Troy
11-12-2019, 11:26 AM
I recently finished Centipede Press' Library of Weird Fiction volume of Arthur Machen (which I mentioned a bit here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?113-What-are-you-currently-reading&p=1167839&viewfull=1#post1167839, and CP's listing for which appears here: http://www.centipedepress.com/masters/machenlwf.html).

After that, from Oxford University Press' Machen collection, The Great God Pan And Other Horror Stories, I read those entries not covered by the CP volume, the OUP product page for which is here: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-great-god-pan-and-other-horror-stories-9780198813163?lang=en&cc=us#.

While Machen is weird fiction, and his name is often mentioned with Lovecraft's, they are pretty different; I'd say that anyone with an interest in old horror that thought Lovecraft was too much or too "out there" might enjoy Machen, whose writing is more restrained. Virtually everything here touches on the fairy world (and the various things that includes), but that doesn't mean each story involves a frolic through the tall grass; he mixes it in judiciously, in different ways for different stories.

Machen's writing also reminded me of Arthur Conan Doyle's Gothic Tales collection (discussed here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?113-What-are-you-currently-reading&p=1126211&viewfull=1#post1126211), with some page-turner plotting, but the significant difference that Machen was much freer in letting the story off the leash (appropriate, given the subject matter).

It's all pretty good, but my favorites were The Terror, The White People, and The Three Imposters. FYI, The Three Impostors has subsections that can stand alone, and Machen collections often use only a segment or two from this, so I encourage anyone looking into picking up some Machen to be sure to get a collection that has the entire work (both collections mentioned here have the entire thing, a credit to both editorial staffs).

Machen wrote a series of "prose poems" (I think of them as story fragments) collectively referred to as Ornaments In Jade; the Centipede volume has them all, but the Oxford is missing a few, and other collections bypass it altogether. I suppose these could make for a frustrating reading experience, but if you know what you're in for going in, you might enjoy them as I did, and I'm glad I had them all.

Some enjoyable quotes:

“Mr. Dyson, walking leisurely along Oxford Street…enjoyed in all its rare flavours the sensation that he was really very hard at work.”

“Your scruples entertain me…Perhaps you have not gone very deeply into these questions of ethics.”

“‘You will, I am sure, excuse preliminaries,’ he began; ‘what I have to tell is best told quickly. I will say, then, that I was born in a remote part of the west of England…’”

“The bowl was carved in the likeness of a female figure, showing the head and torso…at last he bought it. He was pleased to show it to the younger men in the office for a while, but…he gave it away just before his marriage, as from the nature of the carving it would have been impossible to use it in his wife’s presence.”

“Then there’s James, a sporting man. You wouldn’t care for him. I always think he smells of the stable.”

“Mary’s story was suddenly interrupted. For ten minutes Darnell had been writhing in his chair, suffering tortures in his anxiety to avoid wounding his wife’s feelings, but the episode of the dandelion was too much for him, and he burst into a long, wild shriek of laughter, aggravated by suppression into the semblance of a Red Indian’s war-whoop.”

“He was asked whether he knew something. And his reply really amounted to ‘No, I don’t.’ But I have never heard it better put.”

“Miss Pilliner’s long and ceremonious approach was lulling him into a mild stupor; he wondered faintly when she would come to the point, and what the point would be like when she came to it, and, chiefly, what on earth this rather dull family history could have to do with him...There was a pause. Last was resigned. The point of the long story seemed to recede into some far distance, into vanishing prospective.”

Finally, to compare the two collections:
- Centipede wins out on contents, as it has 7 stories the Oxford lacks plus 3 parts of the Ornaments In Jade series the Oxford lacked.
- Centipede also wins out on design, with the usual black cloth and red ribbon page marker, more pleasant font and lighter page color, as well as more legible type (Oxford's pages were smaller but contained about a third more words).
- Oxford wins out on editorial content; I learned much more from Oxford's frontispiece than from CP's entire introduction, not to mention from Oxford's 22-page introduction itself and 39-page "explanatory notes" section. If context is important to you when delving into an author's bibliography, this may be significant for you. (It's worth noting that Oxford tends to produce great editorial content - they will always teach you something, if you let them).
- Oxford also wins on cost, as it can be had for ~$20, and the CP edition was ~$45 (although it is now sold out), although I doubt this would be a concern for many of you. Still, anyone looking (as I am) to assemble a collection of early horror from many sources might have kept that in mind, and the Oxford volume is still a fine collection for anyone who missed out on the CP volume.
- In the end, I prefer the CP volume, but I really had to have both.

SystemCrashOverRide
11-12-2019, 11:33 AM
Just finished The Fireman by Joe Hill which I enjoyed overall but I could predict some of the ending way too early for my liking. I just started The Deep by Nick Cutter and it pulled me in immediately.

Interested to hear your thoughts on The Deep.

So far I've read The Deep, The Troop, and Little Heaven - Cutter is absolutely unrelenting with his horror. Shocking, grotesque, disturbing and terrifying passages seem to go on and on, with a total disregard for how uncomfortable it can be for the reader. It's like being smothered or drowned, you simply don't get to come up for air.

It's an odd stylistic choice, and makes for some bizarre pacing sometimes, but it's also intriguing because I find it different from the horror I typically read. If you end up enjoying The Deep, I suspect you'll like his other works as well.

M_O_O_N
11-12-2019, 03:16 PM
Just found a BCE "Bachman Books" and have started in on "Rage" for the first time ever.

SystemCrashOverRide
11-12-2019, 04:15 PM
Just found a BCE "Bachman Books" and have started in on "Rage" for the first time ever.

Enjoy it! I personally think The Long Walk and Roadwork are stronger books though.

WeDealInLead
11-12-2019, 05:31 PM
The Long Walk is my favourite Bachman.

WeDealInLead
11-12-2019, 05:34 PM
I'm reading The Supernova Era by Cixin Liu.

Heather19
11-12-2019, 06:53 PM
The Long Walk is amazing. One of my all time favorites. It's also probably one of the books I've re-read the most.

Heather19
11-12-2019, 06:56 PM
I'm just finishing up The Haunting of Ashburn House by Darcy Coates. I'm thoughouly enjoying it, and have Craven Manor ready to go next.

Garrell
11-12-2019, 07:23 PM
Finished Seed by Anita Ahlborn. Was really good. Brother is still my favorite by her but Seed was a quick spooky read.

St. Troy
11-13-2019, 10:14 AM
Just started (and almost finished) Beyond Belief by Brad Steiger, a very short (151 pages) and easily digestible compilation of things that are, basically, beyond belief: everything from the Loch Ness monster to ghost ships to dinosaurs living within the last 1,500 years. It's an entertaining bit of fluff that has me scratching my head, not bad.

Aremag
11-13-2019, 01:42 PM

Interested to hear your thoughts on The Deep.

So far I've read The Deep, The Troop, and Little Heaven - Cutter is absolutely unrelenting with his horror. Shocking, grotesque, disturbing and terrifying passages seem to go on and on, with a total disregard for how uncomfortable it can be for the reader. It's like being smothered or drowned, you simply don't get to come up for air.

It's an odd stylistic choice, and makes for some bizarre pacing sometimes, but it's also intriguing because I find it different from the horror I typically read. If you end up enjoying The Deep, I suspect you'll like his other works as well.

Just finished The Deep and I was enjoying it much more than The Troop until the end. I found a bit of the ending disappointing but still enjoyed it more than The Troop. I agree that his horror comes across more as unrelenting disturbing and borderline over the top grotesque than scary. I also find certain parts of his writings about animals to be the most disturbing things he writes. That's probably my own bias of animals being more or less innocent and human beings usually deserving of any horror inflicted upon them. I look forward to picking up the other two novels.

I am starting Dark Tides - A Charity Horror Anthology that arrived yesterday.

WeDealInLead
11-15-2019, 03:42 PM
Frankenstein Unbound by Brian W. Aldiss. Made it four pages in, and nooope, this is just not good. It's Ungood. Aldiss Ungood.

I'll check out the movie though.

Mattrick
11-15-2019, 08:33 PM
I'm moving back to Crime and Punishment after finishing The Kite Runner.

The Kite Runner was a very well-written book, but it made some missteps in the final third, notably when it came to giving so many things introduced earlier on a payoff...it made a lot of the main characters return home after so many years feel so choreographed, almost too perfectly set up to feel organic. And then the events of the second last chapter was just one heaping helping of misery too much. It felt unnecessary and took me out of the story at the worst possible time, right before the ending. I did like the characters a lot and the first half of the book about the narrator growing up in Afghanistan before the Saur Revolution was simply fantastic. I still liked the book quite a bit on the whole, I just think a few missteps for my personal taste held it back from being a truly great book.

4/5

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-18-2019, 05:03 AM
I read CRIME AND PUNISHMENT a long time ago, when I was way too young to understand it.

Currently reading PAST MASTER by R. A. Lafferty, which I don't like very much. I can still say I have never read anything by Lafferty I liked, whew!

Garrell
11-19-2019, 06:18 AM
Started Gwendy's Magic Feather today, will let you know

webstar1000
11-19-2019, 06:19 AM
I am thinking of reading my gift edtion of Rosemay Baby.. is it a good book all?

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-19-2019, 06:55 AM
I am thinking of reading my gift edtion of Rosemay Baby.. is it a good book all?

I thought so, finished it in two days.

Brian861
11-19-2019, 08:45 AM

It's an awesome read, Kris!

WeDealInLead
11-19-2019, 09:18 AM
PKD - Time Out of Joint. Pretty good stuff, not as "out there" as his later works.

Bob Verdansky
11-19-2019, 11:10 AM
"Mountain Rampage" by Scott Graham (book 2 in the National Park Mystery series).

fernandito
11-19-2019, 02:20 PM
PKD - Time Out of Joint. Pretty good stuff, not as "out there" as his later works.

it's been a while since I read a PKD book, I have a hankering. I've always wanted to read Valis but idk if I'm in the mood for sci-fi that heavy righ tnow.

WeDealInLead
11-19-2019, 07:37 PM
I haven't read Valis yet. The timing has to be right if I'm to do a deep dive on Dick's later works. If I'm exhausted from work and I'm not home alone, there's no use in even trying.

I picked up Wounds, a short story collection by Nathan Ballingrud. Two stories in and I'm asking myself why did I wait this long to check him out.

SystemCrashOverRide
11-19-2019, 08:30 PM
Also reading Gwendy's Magic Feather - quick read, should finish it in another sitting. So far I'm enjoying it, but I feel like it's length has been artificially padded with a relatively large font, large margins, and lots of unused space on the page. It's 330 ish pages, but feels like it could be half that if Cemetery Dance wasn't using all the tricks in the book to make it a physically larger offering.

Aremag
11-19-2019, 08:44 PM
Currently reading Brother by Ania Ahlborn along with the anthology I mentioned a few posts back. I have to thank this board for introducing me to Ania as Brother is one hell of a ride so far.

Heather19
11-20-2019, 05:08 AM
I think I'm going to start Brother next. I've only read The Shuddering, which I did enjoy, and have had this one for a couple months now. Plus everyone seems to love it, so I'm excited to start it.

Brian861
11-20-2019, 06:11 AM
Currently reading Brother by Ania Ahlborn along with the anthology I mentioned a few posts back. I have to thank this board for introducing me to Ania as Brother is one hell of a ride so far.

Your guys' enthusiasm for it really makes me wish I liked the story. I just fell completely flat for me.

WeDealInLead
11-21-2019, 09:59 AM
I picked up Wounds, a short story collection by Nathan Ballingrud. Two stories in and I'm asking myself why did I wait this long to check him out.

Quoting myself like a boss/loser (self-opinion that changes daily). This was great. Like, great great. The Butcher's Table was a perfect story to end a collection with, a high note worthy of a young Clive Barker, lyrical and drenched in hot blood.

Aremag
11-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Finished Brother which I enjoyed and am really tempted to get the Suntup version. In keeping with Ania Ahlborn I started Seed.

webstar1000
11-21-2019, 11:57 AM
Started Duma Key. I read it when I smoked a SHIT ton of weed. I do not remember it AT ALL. So far loving it. There was a few books around that time I do not remember. Weed does that you know... lol I just finished Hill's Heart Shaped Box and hated it. His worst novel for me. Rosemary is going to be up after Duma!

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-21-2019, 12:05 PM
Dandelion or chickweed?
I remember liking parts of DUMA KEY a lot and liking some parts not so much.

Just started PICNIC ON PARADISE by Joanna Russ after finishing PAST MASTER by R.A. Lafferty. So far I disliked/dislike both of them. Oh well, can't win them all.

Garrell
11-21-2019, 12:54 PM
Finished Brother which I enjoyed and am really tempted to get the Suntup version. In keeping with Ania Ahlborn I started Seed.

Seed is weird but creepy. Slow but the last 1/3 of the book makes it all worth it.

Heather19
11-21-2019, 05:53 PM
Duma Key is one of my favorite books by King.

Brian861
11-21-2019, 11:57 PM

Ditto!

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-22-2019, 04:06 AM
Oh....tennis balls!

Garrell
11-22-2019, 04:26 AM

Ditto!

Ditto ditto

alinda
11-22-2019, 08:02 AM
Hello, i came in to read your current book reviews to perhaps help me figure out whats next. I've decided already
Crosses library,and, pick's up Duma Key. Wireman said that sometimes.....ha! Great book I'll be loving the reread Thanks!

Aremag
11-22-2019, 08:58 AM
I couldn't find a thread when I searched for book recommendations so I thought I'd try here. I'm planning my reading for the future and I am currently planning on rereading Stephen King books I haven't read in awhile. I want to break it up with something in between King books. Does anyone have any good creature type horror books they recommend? I'm looking for something not vampires or werewolf type. I already have Periphery by Michael Winter and The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies by John Langon in my list. Thanks in advance and I apologize if this is the wrong thread to ask this question.

WeDealInLead
11-22-2019, 09:23 AM
White by Tim Lebbon
The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker

Heather19
11-22-2019, 01:24 PM
Oh, I loved White by Tim Lebbon. I'd also recommend The Silence by Tim as well. The Shuddering by Ania Ahlborn. And one of my all-time favorites Pines by Blake Crouch :)

Aremag
11-25-2019, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the couple replies.....I put those in my list.

M_O_O_N
11-25-2019, 09:30 AM
Last night finished "The Fireman" by some guy named Joe Hill and now starting in on "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell. (A good read this should be.)

Brian861
11-25-2019, 10:32 AM
Last night finished "The Fireman" by some guy named Joe Hill

I'm sorry.

WeDealInLead
11-25-2019, 11:17 AM
Mic drop.

That book stank.

Brian861
11-25-2019, 11:26 AM
Mic drop.

That book stank.

On a better note, Full Throttle is his best collection of stories to date.

M_O_O_N
11-25-2019, 12:34 PM
Last night finished "The Fireman" by some guy named Joe Hill
I'm sorry.

Mic drop.
That book stank.

Enough breadcrumbs in it to stuff a turkey.

Aremag
11-26-2019, 06:08 PM
Finished Seed and I think I might like it a tad more than Brother. Those were my first Ania Ahlborn books and I'm very impressed so far...any recommendations on which of her books I should search out next? In the meantime, I started a reread of From A Buick 8 while still reading the anthology.

WeDealInLead
11-26-2019, 07:19 PM
Mic drop.

That book stank.

On a better note, Full Throttle is his best collection of stories to date.

I just received an email from the library that my hold is ready for pick up. Once I'm done reading it, it's going to be time to start (over) thinking my Top Ten books published in 2019.

Picklemaniac
11-27-2019, 04:17 AM
Currently I am at the last few pages of Four Past Midnight, I am waiting for Gwendy's Magic father to come in.

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-27-2019, 07:12 AM
I won't say it, I won't!

webstar1000
11-27-2019, 07:13 AM
Has anyone read the new Gwendys? Is it even good?

Brian861
11-27-2019, 11:27 AM
I won't say it, I won't!

:rofl:

I've heard some say it's pretty good. I plan on listening to it after Full Throttle.

Garrell
11-27-2019, 01:12 PM
I won't say it, I won't!

no comment also

Hunchback Jack
11-27-2019, 03:08 PM

I'm reading it now, and it's decent. Chizmar's writing style is very straightforward; he tells rather than implies. Gwendy is well-drawn as a character. I'm about 60 pages in, though, and I'm not sure whether the actual plot has started. Things still seem to be getting set up.

It's also very short - as someone else said, large font, wide margins, blank pages between chapters (and a lot of small chapters). I doubt if it's twice as long as GBB.

Oh, I'm also reading/listening to The Mourner, the fourth Parker novel by Richard Stark. I'm making my way through the whole series in blocks of three books - I read the first three earlier this year.

HBJ

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-30-2019, 01:18 PM
I just finished reading GWENDY'S MAGIC FEATHER, and I'm very glad I really liked it.

Only two mistakes:

1. The last year of the 20th century is 2000. 2. The abbreviation for microphone is mike (or at least it should be).

WeDealInLead
11-30-2019, 02:55 PM
Mic vs. mike - it can be both, depends on the context.

Reading: Full Throttle.

kingfan2323
11-30-2019, 02:57 PM
I just finished reading GWENDY'S MAGIC FEATHER, and I'm very glad I really liked it.

Only two mistakes:

1. The last year of the 20th century is 2000. 2. The abbreviation for microphone is mike (or at least it should be).Did not check out your spoiler (have not read the book yet) but better or not as good as Button Box?

looking for: The Road #208, Hill House #'ed, RB Gift,
Dead Zone 1st/1st

Br!an
11-30-2019, 03:58 PM
The spoiler doesn't give anything important away.

Br!an
11-30-2019, 04:03 PM

It's mic in the US. Why mike? It is short for microphone.

Hunchback Jack
11-30-2019, 04:16 PM

It's mic in the US. Why mike? It is short for microphone.

I think to aid correct pronunciation (rhyming with bike, not brick). I somehow learned it as “mike” growing up, but have since seen it written as “mic”.

Aremag
11-30-2019, 04:24 PM
Currently reading Elevation at work since the paperback was just sitting there waiting to be purchased when I was out buying something for work.

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-30-2019, 04:29 PM
I liked BUTTON BOX more, but although a lighter read, I still liked FEATHER enough to not regret ordering the limited editions.
As far as Mic and Mike goes, two Irishmen walk into a bar see, and...

Mattrick
12-04-2019, 02:26 AM
I'm about halfway through Crime and Punishment. The first 40 pages or so was harder to get through than I remember, but I'm right into it now. The murder scene and the build up to it just so goddamn well done. It's some of the most gripping pages ever written as far as I'm concerned. And for it's time it must have been so impactful because though it's not overly graphic in description, the sensation of it, it's just so visceral, you're just so in the mind of Raskolnikov that a strange sensation comes over you when you read it, as if you're an accomplice. That sense of being right there really helps the aftermath where Raskolnikov is quite mad. I really get the title of the novel so much more on this re-read. It can be taken quite literally, but metaphorically it also captures his mindset after the murder because he seems to be wrestling self-preservation/thrill of getting away with it against the weight of the feverish guilt/desire to turn himself in and accept punishment. The main reason I love Dostoevsky so much is his portrayal of psychology and emotion and his understanding of humanity, which doubly impressive considering he wrote Crime and Punishment 13 years before the birth of Psychology.

Maybe I'll re-read The Brothers Karamazov after this...goddamn that book is a monster.

Aremag
12-04-2019, 03:23 PM
Starting Sleeping Beauties again. Bought it when it first came out and read the first few chapters before life and other books distracted me.

Kraken
12-08-2019, 10:26 AM
Just finished IT. FANTASTIC
Have read a few places that people were not too keen on the ending.
No problems as far as I’m concerned.

Aremag
12-09-2019, 06:49 PM
Just started Hollow Heart by Ben Eads.

WeDealInLead
12-12-2019, 10:41 AM

Me too. I'm at 25 according to my Kindle app. So far it's just been the set-up.

I'm also finishing Full Throttle. It's not as great as the previous two collections. Hill's stories are best when they feel like Hill stories. Unfortunately, this collection has at least three stories in which he's essentially rewriting Bradbury and his old man. They're okay but not even close to Thumbprint, All I Care about Is You, Late Returns, You Are Released and a few others. Still, I'm enjoying myself, just not as much as I thought I would.

Brian861
12-12-2019, 11:39 AM

Me too. I'm at 25 according to my Kindle app. So far it's just been the set-up.

I'm also finishing Full Throttle. It's not as great as the previous two collections. Hill's stories are best when they feel like Hill stories. Unfortunately, this collection has at least three stories in which he's essentially rewriting Bradbury and his old man. They're okay but not even close to Thumbprint, All I Care about Is You, Late Returns, You Are Released and a few others. Still, I'm enjoying myself, just not as much as I thought I would.

Thumbprint, All I Care about Is You, Late Returns, You Are Released: I agree that these are the best of the lot. I highly enjoyed Faun and Dark Carousel as well. For me, it's his best overall collection to date. I was half and half on Strange Weather.

Aremag
12-14-2019, 10:04 AM
Started Periphery By Michael Winter and I'm liking how it started.

Mattrick
12-20-2019, 06:30 PM
I'm a third through Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. It's a Canadian novel about a traveling theatre group traveling around The Great Lakes decades after a plague wipes out most of mankind almost overnight. It's quite good so far. The part I just read threatened to take me out of the story as it goes back to pre-plague stuff for awhile, but it ended up being pretty good stuff and I can tell it will pay off by the novel's close.

Mattrick
01-02-2020, 01:05 PM
I decided to finally re-read East of Eden, which is one of my favourites yet I've never re-read it because it's not exactly a short read at 600 packed pages.

Br!an
01-02-2020, 01:56 PM
I decided to finally re-read East of Eden, which is one of my favourites yet I've never re-read it because it's not exactly a short read at 600 packed pages.

I love Steinbeck. If I start rereading Steinbeck, I'll end up rereading everything he's written.

Girlystevedave
01-02-2020, 02:43 PM
I finally started End of Watch yesterday after having it on my shelf for years.

Mattrick
01-02-2020, 03:50 PM

I love Steinbeck. If I start rereading Steinbeck, I'll end up rereading everything he's written.

I've still got some Steinbeck to read, but he is fantastic. I haven't read The Grapes of Wrath yet. But I've read Of Mice and Men, Cannery Row and The Moon is Down. My friend has a collection of all his short novels so I'll finally read The Red Pony and The Pearl and the few others in there. I don't have a massive scope of reference (because it's a big time period), but in my eyes he's the best writer of the 20th Century.

Ricky
01-02-2020, 06:37 PM
I haven't read The Grapes of Wrath yet.

Consider yourself lucky.

I heard that judges are giving criminals the choice to read it as an alternative to prison time.

WeDealInLead
01-03-2020, 06:27 PM
Baoshu - The Redemption of Time. It's a story set in the Remembrance of Earth's Past world. It's a flash-sideways sort of and it reads more like a Cixin Liu novel than his last two books. The characters are actually from the original trilogy. Liu himself authorized the book. It's excellent and I don't want it to end.

I also just picked up a free mini short story collection by Norman Prentiss, courtesy of Cemetery Dance.

Mattrick
01-03-2020, 10:40 PM

Consider yourself lucky.

I heard that judges are giving criminals the choice to read it as an alternative to prison time.

I'm sure I'll love it. Steinbeck is a joy to read.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-04-2020, 06:09 AM
Just finished THE AGE OF ANXIETY by the WHO rocker Pete Townshend. I can not recommend it. Clumsy prose, but at least I have his (just about illegible) autograph.

Br!an
01-04-2020, 07:37 AM
Just finished THE AGE OF ANXIETY by the WHO rocker Pete Townshend. I can not recommend it. Clumsy prose, but at least I have his (just about illegible) autograph.

I bought that too. I was planning on reading it next. :orely:

Garrell
01-04-2020, 09:05 AM
Bought it also with no plans of reading it really, now I know better

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-04-2020, 09:19 AM
I know Better too, nice fellow.

Br!an
01-04-2020, 09:51 AM
You better you better you bet.

webstar1000
01-04-2020, 06:36 PM
You guys give me great books to read. I am just about done No Country for Old Men. What a fantastic novel. Really feeling a nice twisty book. With some surprises... or big twists. Any recommendations?

Mattrick
01-05-2020, 12:55 PM
You guys give me great books to read. I am just about done No Country for Old Men. What a fantastic novel. Really feeling a nice twisty book. With some surprises... or big twists. Any recommendations?

House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski.

It's the book with literal twists and turns.

webstar1000
01-05-2020, 12:57 PM

This is the book you have to turn sideways at Times to read... haha good one!

Br!an
01-05-2020, 01:13 PM

I'm reading that. I am almost done. I'm reading the appendixes. Freaking crazy book.

Br!an
01-05-2020, 01:18 PM

Sideways, upside down, keeping up with the text, and the footnotes, and Zampanò's notes, and Johnny's notes, and the editors notes, and then the text morphing into several different "frames" of content, and going any which way on the page.

webstar1000
01-05-2020, 01:18 PM

Sideways, upside down, keeping up with the text, and the footnotes, and Zampanò's notes, and Johnny's notes, and the editors notes, and then the text morphing into several different "frames" of content, and going any which way on the page.

You like it?

Alec
01-05-2020, 03:00 PM
Kris, I believe I recommended this before.
“The Religion” by Tim Willocks.
Set during the siege of Malta.
If you prefer something modern:
“Memo From Turner” by Tim Willocks.
No twists and turns, just bloody marvellous books.

Mattrick
01-05-2020, 03:17 PM

You like it?

I'd recommend getting the complete version with the Whalestoe letters in it. But it a great read and the novelty of it never quite wears off. Though it does take a bit of time for it to really start getting going...especially the Zampano stuff which is all written like a giant essay and can be a little dry at times, but it just adds to the realism of it all. I also recommend taking 3-5 bookmarks in there with you so you don't lose your way!

It's a challenging read and even if you come away not liking the book, you won't say it wasn't a unique experience. I want to re-read it myself, but I lent my copy to my friend to read.

Garrell
01-06-2020, 07:39 AM
Just finished Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. Very enjoyable and I will continue the series as it is released. It was like Harry Potter goes to college except very adult: drugs, sex, and violence. Unpredictable, which I love in a book or movie.
Started Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay this morning. Hoping it is as good as Cabin at the End Of The World, I've heard it is better.

Br!an
01-06-2020, 08:04 AM

You like it?

I'd recommend getting the complete version with the Whalestoe letters in it. But it a great read and the novelty of it never quite wears off. Though it does take a bit of time for it to really start getting going...especially the Zampano stuff which is all written like a giant essay and can be a little dry at times, but it just adds to the realism of it all. I also recommend taking 3-5 bookmarks in there with you so you don't lose your way!

It's a challenging read and even if you come away not liking the book, you won't say it wasn't a unique experience. I want to re-read it myself, but I lent my copy to my friend to read.

I agree with your review. It isn't an easy read, but I have enjoyed it.

Bev Vincent
01-06-2020, 08:33 AM
On a nostalgia kick, I'm reading Murder by the Book by Rex Stout. I met Stout's daughter at Bouchercon in late October and attended a "Wolfe Pack" meeting.

Girlystevedave
01-07-2020, 02:51 PM

Consider yourself lucky.

:rofl:

Heather19
01-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Started Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay this morning. Hoping it is as good as Cabin at the End Of The World, I've heard it is better.

I loved both of these books. Since you enjoyed Cabin I'm sure you'll love this one.

Heather19
01-07-2020, 02:56 PM
Currently reading Black Winter by Darcy Coates to go along with my winter horror reads. Really enjoying it so far.

Br!an
01-07-2020, 03:06 PM
I thought Head Full of Ghosts was okay. I expected more though based on the hype.

I bought what I thought was a first edition. It was a second. I read the story. No need to look for a first edition based on the story.

WeDealInLead
01-07-2020, 07:31 PM
Steve Rasnic Tem - Everything Is Fine Now

https://www.amazon.com/Everything-Fine-Now-Steve-Rasnic-ebook/dp/B07L9JMSQY

kingfan2323
01-10-2020, 02:52 PM
Does TDT.org have an extreme horror expert?
Maybe what was referred to "splatter punk" in the oldie times.
I have never read any but curious about titles like Off Season, Cows, Survivor, Header.

Are Ketchum, Keene, and Lansdale considered part of this genre?

Thx

seeking: anything DT#246

Hunchback Jack
01-10-2020, 03:13 PM
I'm currently reading/listening to Natchez Burning, by Greg Iles. It's part of his Penn Cage series of novels, about a Southern lawyer-turned-novelist-turned-amateur detective, of sorts. This is the fourth in the series, the longest so far, and is the first volume of a trilogy-within-a-series.

It's a pretty easy read, but is a bit on the draggy side. Lots of flashbacks from "present day" to the 80s and 60s in Mississippi, Louisiana and (briefly) Texas, and is pretty fascinating. Lots of commentary about race relations, but it doesn't do so gratuitously - it always relates to the central plot - and it never gets preachy. I will likely read the next two books later this year after a palate-cleaner of something else.

HBJ

Brian861
01-11-2020, 08:21 AM
I'm currently reading/listening to Natchez Burning, by Greg Iles. It's part of his Penn Cage series of novels, about a Southern lawyer-turned-novelist-turned-amateur detective, of sorts. This is the fourth in the series, the longest so far, and is the first volume of a trilogy-within-a-series.

It's a pretty easy read, but is a bit on the draggy side. Lots of flashbacks from "present day" to the 80s and 60s in Mississippi, Louisiana and (briefly) Texas, and is pretty fascinating. Lots of commentary about race relations, but it doesn't do so gratuitously - it always relates to the central plot - and it never gets preachy. I will likely read the next two books later this year after a palate-cleaner of something else.

HBJ

I like Greg Iles a lot. Having grown up in Mississippi, it really hits home with me. The Quiet Game is an excellent read also, Peter if you haven't gotten to that one yet.

WeDealInLead
01-13-2020, 06:14 AM
I picked up a couple of Norman Prentiss collections when they were free on Amazon. I'm reading the first of them:
https://www.amazon.com/Stories-other-Uneasy-Horror-Tales-ebook/dp/B01KP84ZG6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=norman+prentiss+in+the+bes t+stories&qid=1578924392&sprefix=norman+pre&sr=8-1

It's pretty good.

WeDealInLead
01-13-2020, 06:20 AM
Steve Rasnic Tem - Everything Is Fine Now

https://www.amazon.com/Everything-Fine-Now-Steve-Rasnic-ebook/dp/B07L9JMSQY

This was fantastic. Most of the stories aren't quite as dense and moody as his previous works but I don't think the reviews saying this is YA are correct either. If you haven't read any Tem (where the F have you been all this time?), this could be a gateway to an immense body of his work.

WeDealInLead
01-13-2020, 10:56 AM
Does TDT.org have an extreme horror expert?
Maybe what was referred to "splatter punk" in the oldie times.
I have never read any but curious about titles like Off Season, Cows, Survivor, Header.

Are Ketchum, Keene, and Lansdale considered part of this genre?

Thx

This is a good start:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DJStories-The-Best-of-David-J-Schow-Hardcover-by-Schow-David-J-Brand-N/402019705384?epid=243008683&hash=item5d9a3de228:g:1nsAAOSwzZFeC623

Hunchback Jack
01-13-2020, 01:28 PM

It's a pretty easy read, but is a bit on the draggy side. Lots of flashbacks from "present day" to the 80s and 60s in Mississippi, Louisiana and (briefly) Texas, and is pretty fascinating. Lots of commentary about race relations, but it doesn't do so gratuitously - it always relates to the central plot - and it never gets preachy. I will likely read the next two books later this year after a palate-cleanser of something else.

HBJ

I like Greg Iles a lot. Having grown up in Mississippi, it really hits home with me. The Quiet Game is an excellent read also, Peter if you haven't gotten to that one yet.

Brian, I have read that one - it's the first one in the series. I should have mentioned I've been slowly making my way through them, in order, over the past couple of years. They are solid reads - and good to hear that a Mississippi native thinks so as well! Natchez Burning has picked up the pace. Will definitely be reading the next two (The Bone Tree, and Mississippi Blood) later this year.

I'll then tackle some of his non-Penn Cage novels, to see how they fare.

HBJ

Brian861
01-13-2020, 04:34 PM

It's a pretty easy read, but is a bit on the draggy side. Lots of flashbacks from "present day" to the 80s and 60s in Mississippi, Louisiana and (briefly) Texas, and is pretty fascinating. Lots of commentary about race relations, but it doesn't do so gratuitously - it always relates to the central plot - and it never gets preachy. I will likely read the next two books later this year after a palate-cleanser of something else.

HBJ

Brian, I have read that one - it's the first one in the series. I should have mentioned I've been slowly making my way through them, in order, over the past couple of years. They are solid reads - and good to hear that a Mississippi native thinks so as well! Natchez Burning has picked up the pace. Will definitely be reading the next two (The Bone Tree, and Mississippi Blood) later this year.

I'll then tackle some of his non-Penn Cage novels, to see how they fare.

HBJ

I believe Cage also makes a few appearances in this earlier novels. Although the novels aren't centered around him.

WeDealInLead
01-14-2020, 07:50 AM
PKD - Valis

Aremag
01-14-2020, 08:25 AM
Currently rereading Different Seasons. I guess it's been 30+ years since I last read it so it almost counts as a new read.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-14-2020, 10:56 AM
I just started BROTHER.

Ricky
01-14-2020, 03:13 PM
Did you enjoy SISTER?

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-14-2020, 03:50 PM
I liked THE SISTERS BROTHERS, but that's a movie. So far, BROTHER is interesting.

Heather19
01-15-2020, 05:06 AM
Just finished Voices in the Snow by Darcy Coates. The first book in her Black Winter series. I really enjoyed it. It went in a direction that I wasn't initially expecting, but I am excited to read the rest. I just have to wait a few months now for the next one to come out.

WeDealInLead
01-15-2020, 10:47 AM
T.E.D. Klein - The Ceremonies. I actually had to make finishing this book a New Year's resolution. There's just so much detail in every. single. thing. everyone does. Buddy just showered for a page and a half in font size -2. I should've just read the original novella.

webstar1000
01-15-2020, 10:51 AM
Anyone read "Th Way of Kings"?

WeDealInLead
01-15-2020, 11:03 AM
I read the first two books and gave up. I got tired of how cliched and predictable they were. It's what sold millions of books for him, he's like a James Patterson of fantasy.

I like his shorter works a lot more because he takes more chances and it actually feels like he wanted to write them.

Long story short, take ASoFaI and dumb it waaaay down. And it's still worse than that.

Joe315
01-15-2020, 08:40 PM
I liked THE SISTERS BROTHERS, but that's a movie. So far, BROTHER is interesting.

‘Twas also a book. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sisters_Brothers

mae
01-16-2020, 02:28 AM
I had no idea this beauty was even a thing and now I'm rushing to Amazon to order it! Nausicaa is my favorite Miyazaki film but I didn't know he also wrote the source material, I always assumed it was an original, which I guess it still is. But the movie officially being in our 1980s movie tournament made me go back and revisit Nausicaa, and now I cannot wait to delve into this stunning boxed set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErCniBbVlrs

WeDealInLead
01-16-2020, 11:13 AM
I have it and it's a beaut. I say go for it.

There's also this:
https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Viz-Media/ART-OF-NAUSICAA-OF-VALLEY-OF-WIND-HC/FEB192182

I don't have it but I shall one day.

mae
01-16-2020, 11:20 AM
Had a gift card balance and ordered it! Cannot wait! There is also this, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWXUKqjzUMA

WeDealInLead
01-16-2020, 11:24 AM
If only money grew on trees. (I'd still have to wait until Spring, d'oh!). I'll probably get that too but I'm slowly working on completing the Junji Ito collection and the Berserk deluxe hardcovers. Plus Druilett, plus Jodorowsky always has something new (or a more superior edition of an older work) coming out. These Grant Morrison Batman omnibus editions are killing me too etc etc etc

Garrell
01-18-2020, 05:58 AM
Finished A Head Full Of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay. Good stuff. My second book by him and he is an easy read. Fast paced and keeps you interested in the characters he creates. Great endings. Looking forward to the movie of this. Started a reread of On Writing. A short way into it and I remember why it is one of my favorites by SK. After it I will be reading a third Tremblay book.

Heather19
01-18-2020, 11:36 AM
Which one's going to be your third Tremblay book?

Garrell
01-18-2020, 12:15 PM
Disappearance at Devil's Rock

SystemCrashOverRide
01-20-2020, 01:33 PM
Just finished Cibola Burn, the 5th book in The Expanse series. It was excellent, and I have the others waiting in the wings as well.

I'm taking a short break and finishing Full Throttle before moving onto Babylon's Ashes (the 6th Expanse book). So far it's also quite good!

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-20-2020, 01:55 PM
Never read THE EXPANSE, but I tried watching the TV show based on it. Couldn't get past the first half of the first episode. I hope the novels(s) are better. How would you compare the two? Of course, I was kind of depressed then, since my dog had just died at that time. Maybe I should try again.

Heather19
01-21-2020, 03:13 PM
Disappearance at Devil's Rock

This book still haunts me to this day. I shudder every time I think of certain scenes.

kingfan2323
01-21-2020, 03:57 PM
Finished A Head Full Of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay. Good stuff. My second book by him and he is an easy read. Fast paced and keeps you interested in the characters he creates. Great endings. Looking forward to the movie of this. Started a reread of On Writing. A short way into it and I remember why it is one of my favorites by SK. After it I will be reading a third Tremblay book.Absolutely loved On Writing as well. Read it a couple of times. Feels like it may be the closest we get to an autobiography as well?

Joe315
01-21-2020, 06:30 PM
Just finished Cibola Burn, the 5th book in The Expanse series. It was excellent, and I have the others waiting in the wings as well.

I'm taking a short break and finishing Full Throttle before moving onto Babylon's Ashes (the 6th Expanse book). So far it's also quite good!

Cibola is the 4th book. Nemesis gates is 5. Did you flip the 2?

Joe315
01-21-2020, 06:30 PM
Never read THE EXPANSE, but I tried watching the TV show based on it. Couldn't get past the first half of the first episode. I hope the novels(s) are better. How would you compare the two? Of course, I was kind of depressed then, since my dog had just died at that time. Maybe I should try again.

I’ve enjoyed the books but couldn’t get into the show.

SystemCrashOverRide
01-21-2020, 06:55 PM

Cibola is the 4th book. Nemesis gates is 5. Did you flip the 2?

So I flubbed the book number, you're absolutely right. But it looks like we were both wrong, lol. Nemesis Games is 5th, which was the one I just finished - I've moved onto 6 now, which is Babylon's Ashes.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-21-2020, 08:33 PM
I also loved ON WRITING, which is weird because it's non-fiction. Well, maybe not so weird after all.

Thanks for the info on THE EXPANSE series, sounds intriguing.

Didn't Peter Weir do the movie version of DISAPPEARANCE AT DEVIL'S ROCK? I'm too tired to look it up right now! Good night!

kingfan2323
01-21-2020, 09:50 PM
I also loved ON WRITING, which is weird because it's non-fiction. Well, maybe not so weird after all.

Thanks for the info on THE EXPANSE series, sounds intriguing.

Didn't Peter Weir do the movie version of DISAPPEARANCE AT DEVIL'S ROCK? I'm too tired to look it up right now! Good night!Picnic at Hanging Rock, Steve. He has not done a movie in a while. Remember seeing Witness in the theater when I was a kid.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-22-2020, 06:05 AM
Oh yeah, my mistake. The ants made the picnic baskets all disappear. It's all coming back to me now!

sharki69
01-22-2020, 08:36 AM

Brandon Sanderson ?

It’s Amazing!

WeDealInLead
01-22-2020, 11:41 AM
I'm recovering from the one-two brain punch courtesy of T.E.D. Klein and Philip K. Dick so I started Urban Gothic by Brian Keene. Roughly 20 pages in and someone got brained with a hammer. His writing is fairly utilitarian, the story moves at a swift pace (characterization, who needs it) and right now, that's exactly what I need.

Ben Mears
01-23-2020, 09:55 AM
Just finished Gwendy's Magic Feather. A fast and moderately entertaining read. Chizmar was certainly channeling his inner SK political leanings with the President Hamlin/Donald Trump character. Not sure what the point was other than an opportunity to inject an unnecessary rant. I also wasn't enamored with the recycled SK Castle Rock twist taken to resolve the abduction/murder mystery.

fernandito
01-23-2020, 11:23 AM

Brandon Sanderson ?

It’s Amazing!

I read Elantris by Sanderson and I thought it was great. I've flirted with the idea many times of starting Way of Kings but the sad reality is that I'm terrible at finishing novels these days, let alone a lore-rich fantasy series.

WeDealInLead
01-25-2020, 05:29 AM
Gene Wolfe - Empires of Foliage and Flower

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-25-2020, 06:18 AM
I am currently reading the JULY/AUGUST 2019 issue of 'The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction'. Way back in the early 70s, during my one year of college, I spent most of my time in the library reading the hardcover collections of the best of the magazine, enjoying over 90% of the stories. Consequently, that was my only year of college. I'm fairly certain the first issue I bought off the newsstand was the October 1972 issue, and have since collected at least one copy of every issue from the first (Fall 1949, 'The Magazine of Fantasy', the 2nd issue underwent a name change) to the last of 2019 (NOVEMBER/DECEMBER issue). Up until maybe six years ago (just an estimate, it's probably longer), I continued to enjoy somewhere between 80% and 90% of the stories, and then experienced a sharp drop-off, enjoying barely 10% to 20% of them. It seems almost every story now has to do with gender orientation or social media or tech, which in itself is not a bad thing, I just find most of these stories uninteresting to the point of unreadability, although I still struggle through them. I guess that's just the way it is nowadays, but I miss the 'older' sorts of stories. If this makes me out of date, then, I guess, so be it. Every once in a while though, they do publish an outstanding story, and I'm not giving up yet!

Brian861
01-26-2020, 05:05 PM
Just finished Gwendy's Magic Feather. A fast and moderately entertaining read. Chizmar was certainly channeling his inner SK political leanings with the President Hamlin/Donald Trump character. Not sure what the point was other than an opportunity to inject an unnecessary rant. I also wasn't enamored with the recycled SK Castle Rock twist taken to resolve the abduction/murder mystery.

I thought it was just ok with nothing really much happening.

Garrell
01-26-2020, 06:40 PM

I thought it was just ok with nothing really much happening.
Same thoughts. Good flow, easy read. Just no real story to it.

Aremag
01-26-2020, 07:58 PM
Currently reading Rosemary's Baby as I finished Different Seasons this morning and forgot how good those novellas are.

Brian861
01-27-2020, 01:16 AM
Currently reading Rosemary's Baby as I finished Different Seasons this morning and forgot how good those novellas are.

Is it your first read of RB? I absolutely love that book.

Aremag
01-27-2020, 04:26 AM

Yes it is. I don't think I would have actively sought it out but getting the beautiful Suntup AGE made me move it to the front of my to read list.

Brian861
01-27-2020, 06:55 AM

Yes it is. I don't think I would have actively sought it out but getting the beautiful Suntup AGE made me move it to the front of my to read list.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

webstar1000
01-27-2020, 03:25 PM
Shocked at how good this is.... what a cool premise. I can’t put it down!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200127/892a84d22371284365a52b7791a777d9.jpg

fernandito
01-27-2020, 04:28 PM
Has anyone here read the Shades of Magic series?

Aremag
01-29-2020, 10:45 AM

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

It was an fast, enjoyable read that had me thinking I would have been fine if I hadn't read it until the ending where my appreciation for it went up. I'm now reading The Shuddering by Ania Ahlborn and hoping it is as enjoyable to me as Seed and Brother were.

Hunchback Jack
01-29-2020, 11:22 AM

I think he may have been planting seeds for the third installment in the series. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, I've finished I am Legend by Richard Matheson (outstanding) and Seed by Ania Ahlborn (very good). Now reading The Bone Tree by Greg Iles, the middle novel of his recent Penn Cage trilogy (itself part of a larger series).

With all this talk about Expanse, that series might need to be my next SF read. Although Gibson's Agency is also waiting in the wings.

HBJ

Garrell
01-29-2020, 12:41 PM
Finished my reread of On Writing, love that book. My first reread ever.
Started Black Mad Wheel by Josh Malerman today.
Aremag, let me know if The Shuddering is good. Thanks.

WeDealInLead
01-29-2020, 02:26 PM
William Ollie - Killercon. Ollie came onto the small-press scene out of nowhere and disappeared just as fast. No reason, no explanation, one day the new books just stopped coming. I'd like to know why he stopped writing but I'm not going to pry - if he wanted to explain himself, he would've.

Killercon is the last of his books I haven't read and that's that. Bummer.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-29-2020, 02:57 PM
Believe it or not I am reading FIRE AND BLOOD and THE BIBLE (New World Translation). Both are throwing a whole lot of names at me in the beginning pages. I hope I can keep track of all of them.

St. Troy
01-30-2020, 06:34 AM
Believe it or not I am reading FIRE AND BLOOD and THE BIBLE (New World Translation). Both are throwing a whole lot of names at me in the beginning pages. I hope I can keep track of all of them.

I almost gave up on A Game Of Thrones because of this; for 50 pages or so, I took notes to keep track, spending almost as much time typing into my phone as reading.

Assuming F&B isn't your first GRRM, perhaps this didn't come as a surprise.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-30-2020, 07:01 AM
It's my first Game of Thrones based GRRM, but it's still not a surprise. It's getting easier now.

Brian861
01-30-2020, 07:25 AM
The Chain. Good premise but the story fell flat for me.

St. Troy
01-30-2020, 07:43 AM
I didn't want to give this its own thread but wanted to bring it to people's attention:

Taschen (a publisher known for distinctive, often art-oriented books, including design, film, architecture, the human body (including something called Forever Butt!), you name it) is having a sale (up to 75% off): https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/sale/all.htm

Aremag
02-01-2020, 09:25 AM

I loved The Shuddering....Ania is three for three so far with me. I found it a tense and fast moving creature story with characters I cared about. Not wholly original but I loved it. Now reading Gwendy's Button Box.

Brian861
02-01-2020, 09:52 AM

I loved The Shuddering....Ania is three for three so far with me. I found it a tense and fast moving creature story with characters I cared about. Not wholly original but I loved it. Now reading Gwendy's Button Box.

I enjoyed Button Box. Magic Feather, not so much.

WeDealInLead
02-01-2020, 11:15 AM
Philip K. Dick - We Can Build You

This seems like it could be a loose prequel to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Garrell
02-01-2020, 11:45 AM

I enjoyed Button Box. Magic Feather, not so much.

Agree sadly

Kongo
02-01-2020, 12:09 PM
I'll definitely be checking out The Shuddering now as well, thanks to the recommendations in here.

I just finished The Sword of Destiny, which is the 2nd collection of short stories in The Witcher Series. I'm loving these books so far, and am now ready to move on to the "core saga" of books

Heather19
02-01-2020, 12:25 PM
I read The Shuddering last winter and really enjoyed it.

Can I ask you guys a question about Brother. I started it awhile back and couldn't quite get into it. Does it read like a slasher flick? I love those types of movies, but not sure about book form for some reason. I know it's gotten a lot of love so I'll have to go back and give it another try sometime.

Kongo
02-01-2020, 02:01 PM
I read The Shuddering last winter and really enjoyed it.

Can I ask you guys a question about Brother. I started it awhile back and couldn't quite get into it. Does it read like a slasher flick? I love those types of movies, but not sure about book form for some reason. I know it's gotten a lot of love so I'll have to go back and give it another try sometime.

It's a tough book to describe. I wouldn't necessarily call it only a "slasher". It's more of a game of cat and mouse, and it poses questions like "is it possible to change?". It's definitely worth sticking it out to reach the ending, which genuinely surprised me.

Heather19
02-02-2020, 12:23 PM
Ok, thanks. I'll try to give it another shot.

WeDealInLead
02-02-2020, 01:24 PM
Tapped out on PKD - We Can Build You. Picked up Brian Hodge - Dark Advent, and Tim Lebbon - Mesmer.

Aremag
02-02-2020, 02:14 PM
Finished and enjoyed Gwendy's Button Box and was tempted to start Magic Feather but I really want to reread King's novels in between new ones so started reading 'Salem's Lot.

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-02-2020, 02:45 PM
I think that was named after King's brand of smokes at the time.

Aremag
02-02-2020, 05:27 PM
Punctuation is my friend.

Hunchback Jack
02-02-2020, 06:18 PM
I’ve just finished Ayoade on Top, written and narrated by Richard Ayoade.

It’s a satirical faux-critique of “View from the Top”, a mediocre 2003 rom-com starring Gwenneth Paltrow and Mark Ruffalo. The joke, of course, is that no one would treat such an unremarkable flick with the seriousness and reverence that Ayoade does. It’s the sort of gag that you might see in an Onion article.

What sets this book apart from the obvious gag, however, is that Ayoade employs his encyclopedic knowledge of film to great effect, and he commits to the bit for an entire book. What might be considered mean-spirited in a shorter form becomes something significant in its own right - almost a true homage to the film, just from the efforts Ayoade goes to to remain completely dry and deadpan in his overeffusive praise.

It’s not for everyone, and it helps greatly that Ayoade narrates his own work. Not only would it be unthinkable for another narrator to do so, the humor wouldn’t possibly work, particularly if you are familiar with Ayoade’s other work.

HBJ

Brian861
02-02-2020, 10:40 PM
Finished and enjoyed Gwendy's Button Box and was tempted to start Magic Feather but I really want to reread King's novels in between new ones so started reading 'Salem's Lot.

You're not missing anything if you skip Feather. SL is a classic.

Brian861
02-02-2020, 10:41 PM
Ok, thanks. I'll try to give it another shot.

I've hated on the poor lady enough. I'll let her be.

WeDealInLead
02-06-2020, 11:29 AM
Finished Mesmer, just started Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith. Not the style I expected at all. I'm not usually into the quirky humour and dialogue being a little too perfect/silly (later Lansdale, all Warren Ellis, some Gaiman) but the story has caught my attention and I'm sticking with it. Like that Ollie I just finished reading, this is one of the last Smith books I haven't read yet.