PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72

Earl of Popkin
09-24-2018, 10:32 AM
Just started Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.

I came close to reading this after the hbo series, as I’ve read her other two...curious to hear your verdict on this one

I'll let you know when I finish. I've been holding off on watching the show until I read it.

It’s one of the most rated books (#4 or #5 I think) on my gigantic Goodreads to-read list. Apparently it’s extremely popular.

I’ve always heard her books get progressively better with each. I read her last two but never the first since I liked gone girl so much better than Dark Places or whatever the 2nd was called. Then I got totally sucked in to the hbo show and now it’s on my list. A list that grows two entries every time I cross one off.

Ricky
09-24-2018, 03:18 PM
Heather, I hope you enjoy Sharp Objects. I was really surprised at how much I liked it.

Has anyone read Origin by Dan Brown? Any good?

I haven't gotten to it yet, but am looking forward to it.

I've read everything by him. His books are hard to put down but don't really stay with you. Perfect summer reading or something you'd read in between some heavy lifting.

Me too. You're right, perfect summer reading page-turners.

I liked his first couple of books but he lost me with Inferno. I felt it was poorly written, very 'clunky', a feeling I did not have with his first books. Like you guys, I do rember reading and enjoying Dan Brown books but I hardly have any idea anymore what they were about :smile:

I didn't care for Inferno much either (though I think I remember liking it better than The Lost Symbol). Angels and Demons is my favorite.

Heather19
09-25-2018, 04:51 AM
So far I'm really enjoying Sharp Objects. I liked Gone Girl, but didn't care for Dark Places at all. I just looked up the release dates, and Sharp Objects is her first book? Also has anyone read The Grownup by her yet?

Ricky
09-25-2018, 05:44 AM
I read The Grownup and enjoyed it, but I think I remember not liking the ending. It's pretty short so you can read it in one sitting.

Heather19
09-25-2018, 07:39 AM
Thanks Ricky

St. Troy
10-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Last Saturday I finished Arthur Conan Doyle's Gothic Tales (for info about this, and several lengthy verbal and video digressions, see my earlier post: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?113-What-are-you-currently-reading&p=1122806&viewfull=1#post1122806).

ACD's tales are wordy, but given that this is genre material, nowhere near as dense as typical 19th century "classic" fare; the material is pretty direct and, as you might expect, ACD knows a bit about setting up a plot with moving pieces and executing it.

While generally not what modern readers might consider "horror," it definitely fits the “gothic” label, full of tragedies, mysteries, violence, and other disturbance (indeed, much early horror is like this). Although this ground shares some characteristics with that covered by Poe, the writing is not similar to Poe's, although Doyle's The New Catacomb owes something to Poe's The Cask Of Amontillado. Interestingly, ACD's The Horror Of The Heights is like a forerunner of Lovecraft plot-wise, although the sentences swell with adventure and derring-do rather than drip with dread and despair as Lovecraft's do.

Gothic Tales is part of my occasional and ongoing read of early (by which I mean 1700s through 1960s) horror/gothic writing, which (in 2015-16) included Frankenstein, Dracula, The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde, The Picture Of Dorian Gray, and collections of Washington Irving, Poe, and Lovecraft, and which (I hope) will eventually include The Castle Of Otranto, The Monk (an illustrated edition of which features an introduction from King), works from M.R. James, Arthur Machen, Wilkie Collins, William Sloane, Shirley Jackson, Ray Russell, Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, and Clark Ashton Smith, and perhaps some things from Robert Aickman and Robert Chambers.

St. Troy
10-11-2018, 10:51 AM
After Arthur Conan Doyle's Gothic Tales, I read (from last Saturday through this morning) John Bellairs' The House With A Clock In Its Walls. You are likely aware of the Jack Black/Cate Blanchett adaptation that just hit theaters.

This is a book for pre-teens, which I reread in adulthood because it left a dent. My post from the movie trailer thread (posted when the trailer debuted) summed up what THWACIIW means to me:

The House With A Clock In Its Walls by John Bellairs was published in 1973, when I was four.

I'd already had an attraction to books (I'd requested an atlas for Christmas when I was around 5), but this was the first piece of fiction that left an impression on me.

Aimed at preteens (this is not Harry Potter-level), it was layered with spooky atmosphere and richly-detailed, relatable characters that perfectly entranced the young me, who was still too young to read the likes of King (I probably first read it when I was around 7).

It permanently instilled in me the notion that, just maybe, odd things could very well be right around the corner, just out of sight, that the wispy fingers of the unreal could be reaching out at any moment. A lifelong interest in horror fiction, ghosts, UFOs, etc. was basically born because of this book, as well as the seeds of my own writing (it is Bellairs' spirit and atmosphere I've sought to capture, not King's).

This book was also where I first encountered the art of Edward Gorey, whose work I also love to this day. His grainy renderings of almost-ordinary mirrors and windows, winding roads, sinister staircases and cavernous corridors were an absolute perfect fit for Bellairs' writing.

Sometime after having read THWACIIW for the first time, but still while in elementary school, Bellairs was invited to speak at our school. What a phenomenal thrill! I only wish he'd made it... I don't recall the reason given (perhaps an illness, perhaps a publisher issue), but the visit was cancelled.

As we tend to do with most good things from childhood, I set it aside for years and years; after the age of 10 or 12, I probably never read THWACIIW again until sometime in my 30s, and possibly not until my 40s (although I did at least have it on my bookcase). By the time I cared again, the internet existed and it was suddenly easy to learn everything about anything at a moment's notice. It turns out that Bellairs had moved to Haverhill, Massachusetts (maybe 20 minutes from me) the year before I was born, and (as far as I can tell) remained until his death, which had happened in 1991.

Learning that he was already gone was a blow. I suspect we all harbor secret (or not secret) fantasies about meeting our heroes, but I really would've gotten a kick out of shaking his hand and telling him what this book meant to me. I've read much more King than Bellairs, and while meeting King would be great, I'd have much preferred to meet Bellairs.

Bellairs wrote several other books for young people, all along the same lines as THWACIIW, and I've read almost all of them (House is my favorite, but damn close is The Treasure Of Alpheus Winterborn). I'd love to recommend them to you all, but I suspect that the magic (which still lives and breathes on every page, for me) just wouldn't be there for an adult who'd never read it as a child. But then, if you were up for it, The House With A Clock In Its Walls is a quick 180 pages - if you wanted to give it a try, I wouldn't protest very strongly at all.

I hope this film succeeds; I hope it attracts attention to Bellairs' works and pulls new readers in; somewhere out there, there are young kids who could be lit up by this as I was and roam the roads of New Zebedee with Lewis as he plots midnight excursions and witnesses the mystery and mysteries of Uncle Jonathan and Mrs. Zimmerman...and Isaac Izard.

I will add the text I sent to my daughter this morning after completing THWACIIW:

Finished this morning.

It's always sad when I finish it; rereading it is like revisiting childhood, because I enjoy it just as much now as then; it's simple, but it contains all the atmosphere and anticipation a good scary story needs (omegas carved on tombs, arcane symbols chalked on the ground, raising the dead, the end of the world, a sinister old couple, not to mention loads of cookies, donuts, cocoa, and cider, and the main character is a chubby kid - honestly, how can any other author compete with this?).

When it ends (with Lewis, Jonathan and Mrs. Zimmerman sitting around a fire, eating cookies and drinking cocoa), I feel like "no no no don't go!" and then I am thrust back into the real world, a place where John Bellairs is no more and I am almost 50 (this text got depressing ☁️).

I'm reading The Figure In The Shadows [NOTE: this is the sequel to THWACIIW] now, and although it is a fine, creepy follow-up and I'm still with Lewis & Co., it's not quite the same - there's only one House.

Earl of Popkin
10-11-2018, 11:03 AM
John Bellairs started everything for me. He was friends with another writer and that writer’s daughter was in my grade, so we had like a whole Bellairs super section in our elementary library. I believe I loved Mummy, the Will & the Crypt more than anything for all of grade 4 and 5

He was the first I read that wasn’t homework.
He was the first I read that made me immediately want to read another of his works
He was the first I read that made me want to own ALL of his works

St. Troy
10-11-2018, 11:18 AM
Bridging these two most recent reads (Gothic Tales and The House With A Clock In Its Walls) is a truly amazing coincidence: both books mention the murder of David Rizzio, personal secretary to Mary Queen of Scots, in 1566, in the Palace of Holyroodhouse (or simply Holyrood), the royal residence in Edinburgh, Scotland, in the presence of the Queen herself.

One of the final entries in Gothic Tales is The Silver Mirror, which describes the murder: "...the murder of Rizzio by the Scottish nobles in the presence of Mary, which occurred in March 1566...Holyrood!"

...and early in The House With A Clock In Its Walls, Lewis (a bookish 10-year old boy), who'd found himself recently installed in a bedroom with "a tall glazed bookcase full of old books...", pulled down a book of John L. Stoddard's Lectures that "smelled like Old Spice talcum powder" and proceeded to read about "how the Scotch nobles had murdered poor Rizzio right in front of Mary, Queen of Scots...Stoddard was talking about the permanence of bloodstains and wondering whether or not the stain on the hall floor in Holyrood really was Rizzio's blood or not."

Perhaps (as with many of my comments and observations) only of interest to me, but finding mentions of a 4 1/2 century-old murder across two books that differed so greatly really blew me away.

Fun fact: ACD's father owned antique furniture originally belonging to Holyrood...

St. Troy
10-11-2018, 11:21 AM
John Bellairs started everything for me. He was friends with another writer and that writer’s daughter was in my grade, so we had like a whole Bellairs super section in our elementary library. I believe I loved Mummy, the Will & the Crypt more than anything for all of grade 4 and 5

He was the first I read that made me immediately want to read another of his works

Thank God! There are two of us!

Heather19
10-11-2018, 02:04 PM
I love Edward Gorey! Have you visited his house yet? They've turned it into a little museum. Definitely worth a stop if you're a fan.

Earl of Popkin
10-11-2018, 02:22 PM

All of his books in our library had my name written multiple times on those library card inserts that tracked who had them out. Over and over again

Father Cody
10-11-2018, 05:58 PM
Well, I’ll say this. These John Bellairs stories sound a hell of a lot more rewarding than whatever the hell you call this Cows book I just read. Man am I glad that’s over with.

St. Troy
10-12-2018, 08:12 AM
I love Edward Gorey! Have you visited his house yet? They've turned it into a little museum. Definitely worth a stop if you're a fan.

I haven't, but I've been meaning to for years.

I used to live for his intro on Masterpiece Mystery.

jsmcmullen92
10-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Well, I’ll say this. These John Bellairs stories sound a hell of a lot more rewarding than whatever the hell you call this Cows book I just read. Man am I glad that’s over with.

Apocalypse Cow?

Father Cody
10-12-2018, 12:28 PM

Apocalypse Cow?

No sir but that sounds interesting. The one I read is just “Cows” by Matthew Stokoe. I don’t recommend it unless you like over the top disturbing violence. It’s in the Splatterpunk genre I guess? A few times I questioned what I was doing with my life reading something like that.

Br!an
10-12-2018, 01:49 PM

Apocalypse Cow?

No sir but that sounds interesting. The one I read is just “Cows” by Matthew Stokoe. I don’t recommend it unless you like over the top disturbing violence. It’s in the Splatterpunk genre I guess? A few times I questioned what I was doing with my life reading something like that.

Knowing what you don't like is also important. You can safely avoid that type of thing in the future.

Father Cody
10-12-2018, 02:09 PM

Apocalypse Cow?

Knowing what you don't like is also important. You can safely avoid that type of thing in the future.

Good point, very true. There’s a considerable market for this genre judging by the amount of praise it gets on a popular Facebook group about horror books. I had planned on reading “Hogg” after because it gets recommended a lot whenever “Cows” comes up, but I changed my mind, haha. I’m reading Legion by Blatty now.

Frondz
10-12-2018, 03:49 PM

Make that at least three! The Curse of the Blue Figurine was the first Bellairs I read, and I must've come at it a little too early in my impressionable childhood. I finished the book, but then instructed my mom to hide it away where I could never find it. After reading the book, just looking at the cover freaked me out enough to induce nightmares. I went back to his books a couple years later, and still reread them as an adult from time to time. They are very fun to collect as well, just due to the fact that many copies were sent to libraries, and his signature can be rather elusive.

Earl of Popkin
10-12-2018, 04:13 PM

Make that at least three! The Curse of the Blue Figurine was the first Bellairs I read, and I must've come at it a little too early in my impressionable childhood. I finished the book, but then instructed my mom to hide it away where I could never find it. After reading the book, just looking at the cover freaked me out enough to induce nightmares. I went back to his books a couple years later, and still reread them as an adult from time to time. They are very fun to collect as well, just due to the fact that many copies were sent to libraries, and his signature can be rather elusive.

We’re like the three witches from Macbeth, except no one has ever cared about what we had to say re Bellairs. At last we have finally found where we belong.

I remember Curse of the Blue Figurine I think. Pretty sure I enjoyed that one too

St. Troy
10-16-2018, 08:36 AM
I finished Bellairs' The Figure In The Shadows and moved on to his The Letter, The Witch, And The Ring.

St. Troy
10-17-2018, 09:29 AM
This morning I finished The Letter, The Witch, And The Ring and began The Treasure Of Alpheus Winterborn, which will complete my Bellairs mini-marathon.

Earl of Popkin
10-17-2018, 09:44 AM
This morning I finished The Letter, The Witch, And The Ring and began The Treasure Of Alpheus Winterborn, which will complete my Bellairs mini-marathon.

How are they resonating with you? I dug him so much as a kid but am worried that I’ll be so underwhelmed by reading them now after having built those childhood reading experiences into near mythological proportions of joy that it’ll almost tarnish my childhood memories of bonding with his stories

St. Troy
10-17-2018, 10:43 AM

How are they resonating with you? I dug him so much as a kid but am worried that I’ll be so underwhelmed by reading them now after having built those childhood reading experiences into near mythological proportions of joy that it’ll almost tarnish my childhood memories of bonding with his stories

They are resonating with me just great.

Certainly you become a different person and a different reader as you age; I've found books that have "aged" poorly for me (of course, the book hasn't changed, I have), but the Bellairs books held up perfectly.

I think King once referred to his work as the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and fries; you could say that Bellairs' work was the literary equivalent of cookies and milk, with a basic, cozy combination of mystery, creepiness (not quite "horror"), simply sketched yet intriguing characters, in plots that are complex enough to hold interest but don't strain to reach some kind of literary height. Ordinary (adult) novels take on heavier loads; there is more potential fault to find when a more advanced, observant "you" re-reads something that had impressed you years earlier. With Bellairs, I don't think there are any plot holes to find, tropes to worry over, strained prose, inconsistencies etc.; again, these are chocolate chip cookies, not baked alaska, and Bellairs made good cookies.

If, like me, you haven't outgrown cookies, you might not have outgrown Bellairs. If the idea of creaking stairs, secret passageways, bits of magic lurking here and there, and the ticking of an unseen clock still catch the attention of the part of you that just wants to hear or read a story, you may still be as in tune with these books as you were. I hope you get the result I did.

Girlystevedave
10-17-2018, 10:51 AM
I'm reading Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I'm really enjoying it so far. :)

Earl of Popkin
10-17-2018, 01:31 PM

They are resonating with me just great.

Certainly you become a different person and a different reader as you age; I've found books that have "aged" poorly for me (of course, the book hasn't changed, I have), but the Bellairs books held up perfectly.

I think King once referred to his work as the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and fries; you could say that Bellairs' work was the literary equivalent of cookies and milk, with a basic, cozy combination of mystery, creepiness (not quite "horror"), simply sketched yet intriguing characters, in plots that are complex enough to hold interest but don't strain to reach some kind of literary height. Ordinary (adult) novels take on heavier loads; there is more potential fault to find when a more advanced, observant "you" re-reads something that had impressed you years earlier. With Bellairs, I don't think there are any plot holes to find, tropes to worry over, strained prose, inconsistencies etc.; again, these are chocolate chip cookies, not baked alaska, and Bellairs made good cookies.

If, like me, you haven't outgrown cookies, you might not have outgrown Bellairs. If the idea of creaking stairs, secret passageways, bits of magic lurking here and there, and the ticking of an unseen clock still catch the attention of the part of you that just wants to hear or read a story, you may still be as in tune with these books as you were. I hope you get the result I did.

Fine, I’ll read one again but now I just mostly want cookies

Father Cody
10-17-2018, 02:33 PM
Just started “The Fisherman” by John Langan. It’s been described by one reviewer as “Lovecraft but more comprehensible, King but less manic” (wtf!). Anyway, so far so good.

Ricky
10-17-2018, 05:41 PM
I'm reading Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I'm really enjoying it so far. :)

:clap:

When you're done that one, you can read his wonderfully upbeat "Little Star." And by that, I mean it will disturb the living shit out of you. :lol:

I don't think I've ever been so uncomfortable reading a novel.

WeDealInLead
10-17-2018, 05:46 PM
I don't really know what "King but less manic" means, but this actually felt like a lost Peter Straub book to me. Incidentally, Straub praised this book so I don't think my assessment was too off. Enjoy the ride, if you can. The writing is superb but the story moves like snails through peanut butter.

I recently finished The Halloween Children. Fun read but I can't say I "got" any of the characters' motivation. Or what purpose they served at all.

I'm forcing myself to finish Ball Lightning by Cixin Liu. I might start a Brian Keene book next. Something light and gory might strike my fancy right about now.

Stockerlone
10-17-2018, 10:50 PM
Just started with Geistkrieger / Ghostwarrior from Sonja Rüther.
Its a native american crime fiction novel

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/PICT7429.JPG
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/PICT7432.JPG

Heather19
10-18-2018, 04:34 AM
Just started “The Fisherman” by John Langan. It’s been described by one reviewer as “Lovecraft but more comprehensible, King but less manic” (wtf!). Anyway, so far so good.

Picked up this book when I saw him last weekend. Let me know how you enjoy it. I'm dying to read it but I have so many books on my pile to read that I don't know how quickly I'll get to it.

Currently reading The Woman in Black. Hoping to finish it soon so that I can start The Deomonologist by Ed and Lorraine Warren before Halloween.

And I'm almost done with Needful Things. I was reading the actual book, but I started it over a month ago, got halfway through and need to finish it for bookclub next week. There's no way I would be able to finish it that quickly, so I switched to the audio book narrated by King. I was absolutely loving the the first half that I read, and I'm still enjoying it now, however I keep daydreaming while listening to it and having to rewind it. I don't think it's the story though, and I do wish I had the time to physically finish reading it because I think I would be enjoying it immensely more if I were.

St. Troy
10-18-2018, 08:03 AM
...The Deomonologist by Ed and Lorraine Warren...

Do let us (me, really) know how this is once you get to it.

Earl of Popkin
10-18-2018, 08:16 AM

Picked up this book when I saw him last weekend. Let me know how you enjoy it. I'm dying to read it but I have so many books on my pile to read that I don't know how quickly I'll get to it.

Currently reading The Woman in Black. Hoping to finish it soon so that I can start The Deomonologist by Ed and Lorraine Warren before Halloween.

And I'm almost done with Needful Things. I was reading the actual book, but I started it over a month ago, got halfway through and need to finish it for bookclub next week. There's no way I would be able to finish it that quickly, so I switched to the audio book narrated by King. I was absolutely loving the the first half that I read, and I'm still enjoying it now, however I keep daydreaming while listening to it and having to rewind it. I don't think it's the story though, and I do wish I had the time to physically finish reading it because I think I would be enjoying it immensely more if I were.

I just finished Needful Things a few days ago. I’ve never been an audiobook person but I think I would struggle with that as well bc there’s so much jumping around from character to character. If you get distracted while driving etc, you might not even know you’ve switched to different characters in a diff part of town.

Really loved the book though. Reminded me so much of the town I was born in

And then I watched the movie. Yeesh. So much potential and quite a few talented actors. Also I was hoping for a kiefer Sutherland cameo that never happened

Father Cody
10-18-2018, 08:19 AM
I don't really know what "King but less manic" means, but this actually felt like a lost Peter Straub book to me. Incidentally, Straub praised this book so I don't think my assessment was too off. Enjoy the ride, if you can. The writing is superb but the story moves like snails through peanut butter.

I have no idea what that meant either. This is silly but I felt slightly compelled to go on the defense for King when I saw it. Luckily my senses came back and I remembered I was reading it on Goodreads, home of countless self-affirmed professional critics.

I confess I haven’t read any Straub yet, but that would explain his status as one of the greats. It would also explain the mixed opinions I’ve seen about his work, specifically about Ghost Story. I’ve seen it described by some as an essential and a classic of the genre. By others it’s been described as a sleep fest. Incidentally, I fell asleep reading The Fisherman last night but, in all fairness, I was doped up on cold medicine and exhausted from a long day. I didn’t want to fall asleep though because, as you said, the writing is superb.

Sure thing! I envy you for seeing him at Merrimack. A friend of mine was there getting some books inscribed for me and I only found out after it ended that Langan was there. Would have been great to get a copy of this book inscribed as well.

I just learned about The Demonologist a few days ago! It’s what The Conjuring movies were based on, right? Definitely want to read that one, too.

Ricky
10-18-2018, 08:55 AM
How's The Woman In Black, Heather? I saw the movie before I knew it was a book and thought the movie was just OK.

however I keep daydreaming while listening to it and having to rewind it. I don't think it's the story though, and I do wish I had the time to physically finish reading it because I think I would be enjoying it immensely more if I were.

This is exactly what happens to me when I don't have a physical book in front of me. Unless I'm the one reading the words, I just can't pay attention. Same thing when listening to others read live.

The Demonologist is so good! Perfect read for the Halloween season.

I confess I haven’t read any Straub yet, but that would explain his status as one of the greats. It would also explain the mixed opinions I’ve seen about his work, specifically about Ghost Story. I’ve seen it described by some as an essential and a classic of the genre. By others it’s been described as a sleep fest.

I think I remember enjoying Ghost Story, but it was kind of slow. More atmospheric than memorable characters or plot, I think.

Girlystevedave
10-18-2018, 09:03 AM

:clap:

When you're done that one, you can read his wonderfully upbeat "Little Star." And by that, I mean it will disturb the living shit out of you. :lol:

I don't think I've ever been so uncomfortable reading a novel.

Jeez, you sell it so well. :lol:
"You're gonna be so uncomfortable when you read this book".

And like a fool, I'll do it anyway and curse you for it. :lol:

I was absolutely loving the the first half that I read, and I'm still enjoying it now, however I keep daydreaming while listening to it and having to rewind it. .

This is the reason I can't do audiobooks. I'm kinda jealous of people who can because they are able to fly through so many books, but when I tried before, I also found myself just daydreaming about random things and not listening to anything. haha

I confess I haven’t read any Straub yet, but that would explain his status as one of the greats. It would also explain the mixed opinions I’ve seen about his work, specifically about Ghost Story. I’ve seen it described by some as an essential and a classic of the genre. By others it’s been described as a sleep fest.

I just recently tried to give Straub a chance with Ghost Story. I sampled the book online, found it to be very intriguing, and rushed out to the bookstore to buy it before they closed on a Sunday night. I really really enjoyed about the first 20-30 pages, then suddenly, it became super boring out of nowhere. I didn't finish it and don't think I ever will. :(

St. Troy
10-18-2018, 09:16 AM
I confess I haven’t read any Straub yet...

Try Shadowland.

Heather19
10-18-2018, 01:36 PM
Sure thing! I envy you for seeing him at Merrimack. A friend of mine was there getting some books inscribed for me and I only found out after it ended that Langan was there. Would have been great to get a copy of this book inscribed as well.

I just learned about The Demonologist a few days ago! It’s what The Conjuring movies were based on, right? Definitely want to read that one, too.

I don't know how far away you are, but it's such a fun event. I'd definitely recommend going. All the authors are super nice and approachable. I have a huge stack of books to read now :lol: And I picked up a few cool prints from Glen Chadbourne.

John was really nice. We got there first thing because we couldn't stay too long, and he was the only one not there. I was worried I might miss him, but luckily he appeared before we left. Also I've never seen anyone write so tiny in a book :lol:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1917/30474784577_54c503fd23_z.jpg

I just finished Needful Things a few days ago. I’ve never been an audiobook person but I think I would struggle with that as well bc there’s so much jumping around from character to character. If you get distracted while driving etc, you might not even know you’ve switched to different characters in a diff part of town.

Really loved the book though. Reminded me so much of the town I was born in

And then I watched the movie. Yeesh. So much potential and quite a few talented actors. Also I was hoping for a kiefer Sutherland cameo that never happened

Finished Needful Things today. I enjoyed it, and I want to go rewatch the movie now. I saw it ages ago, and remember nothing of it. I'm not expecting much from it either, but I'm curious to see it since I just finished the book.

So the funny thing is that I listen to audiobooks all the time. I normally don't have a problem with them as long as the story is good and the narrator isn't atrocious. And I've listened to King narrate Bag of Bones, which I enjoy (although the book is way better) so I don't think it's his narration. Not sure what it is, but I will say there is some really bizarre music in it. I'd like to go back and read the second half when I get a chance.

How's The Woman In Black, Heather? I saw the movie before I knew it was a book and thought the movie was just OK.

Well I just started, and he hasn't even made it to the house yet :lol: But it's a short book, so hopefully I can set aside some time this weekend and finish it.

The Demonologist is so good! Perfect read for the Halloween season..

Yes, I remember you raving about it, and I've been dying to read it.

Heather19
10-18-2018, 02:51 PM
And speaking of Needful Things, I thought I'd share the window in our local bookstore with you guys. Sorry, it's impossible to take a picture without getting a reflection in it.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1904/45364739092_85192c3253_z.jpg

Ricky
10-19-2018, 02:15 PM

:rofl:

If you end up liking his writing, Let the Right One In is better than Little Star (which, aside from the aforementioned discomfort, is kind of slow). I haven't read Harbor yet.

And speaking of Needful Things, I thought I'd share the window in our local bookstore with you guys. Sorry, it's impossible to take a picture without getting a reflection in it.

I love when local stores/bookstores do cool stuff like that. Take note, Barnes and Noble!

Father Cody
10-19-2018, 11:27 PM
I think I remember enjoying Ghost Story, but it was kind of slow. More atmospheric than memorable characters or plot, I think.

“Slow burn” was a repeat descriptor in the reviews I saw. The way I see it, sometimes a good ending needs a slow buildup, or at least makes me appreciate it more. “The Terror” for instance ended up becoming one of my favorite books, but I didn’t really start loving it until the last third or so.

I just recently tried to give Straub a chance with Ghost Story. I sampled the book online, found it to be very intriguing, and rushed out to the bookstore to buy it before they closed on a Sunday night. I really really enjoyed about the first 20-30 pages, then suddenly, it became super boring out of nowhere. I didn't finish it and don't think I ever will. :(

Ah bummer. Would that be called a “fast burn” then? :lol: I was just saying above how I had to power through the first 2/3’s of “The Terror” but then it really paid off. It was interesting how it happened. I kept giving up on it but I kept going back because I oddly remained interested in where it was going. So I’d go back, read 50-100 pages and put it down again. Must have read five other books throughout the process. Then after I got to a certain point I couldn’t put the thing down. After finishing it I was even tempted to start over to enjoy the first 2/3’s again because, at that point, I loved what I had previously been bored by. Anyway, I guess I’m rambling but my point is maybe Ghost Story will eventually call you back.

Try Shadowland.

I will, thanks!

I don't know how far away you are, but it's such a fun event. I'd definitely recommend going. All the authors are super nice and approachable. I have a huge stack of books to read now :lol: And I picked up a few cool prints from Glen Chadbourne.

John was really nice. We got there first thing because we couldn't stay too long, and he was the only one not there. I was worried I might miss him, but luckily he appeared before we left. Also I've never seen anyone write so tiny in a book :lol:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1917/30474784577_54c503fd23_z.jpg

Unfortunately it’s not very close so I doubt I’ll ever make it there. It definitely sounds fun, though! And based on the inscriptions I’ve been seeing around on Facebook, it’s not hard to believe the authors were super nice. I hear even Laird Barron was in a good mood [emoji3]

Glad to hear you got to see John! Congrats on all the pick ups.

Br!an
10-20-2018, 09:18 AM

I was absolutely loving the the first half that I read, and I'm still enjoying it now, however I keep daydreaming while listening to it and having to rewind it. .

This is the reason I can't do audiobooks. I'm kinda jealous of people who can because they are able to fly through so many books, but when I tried before, I also found myself just daydreaming about random things and not listening to anything. haha

I can't do audiobooks either.

I'm a daydreamer too.

Girlystevedave
10-22-2018, 08:18 AM

Oh man, that's so awesome! I love it.
If you own an independent bookstore and aren't doing things like this, what's the point of having the bookstore? :lol: I know there's the whole selling of books thing, but still...haha

:rofl:

If you end up liking his writing, Let the Right One In is better than Little Star (which, aside from the aforementioned discomfort, is kind of slow). I haven't read Harbor yet.

You know, I was actually curious over Let the Right One In before you even mentioned Handling the Undead to me. I'll keep it in mind because I am enjoying his writing.

Girlystevedave
10-22-2018, 08:22 AM

Ah bummer. Would that be called a “fast burn” then? :lol: I was just saying above how I had to power through the first 2/3’s of “The Terror” but then it really paid off. It was interesting how it happened. I kept giving up on it but I kept going back because I oddly remained interested in where it was going. So I’d go back, read 50-100 pages and put it down again. Must have read five other books throughout the process. Then after I got to a certain point I couldn’t put the thing down. After finishing it I was even tempted to start over to enjoy the first 2/3’s again because, at that point, I loved what I had previously been bored by. Anyway, I guess I’m rambling but my point is maybe Ghost Story will eventually call you back.

It is definitely possible. Hell, it took me multiple tries to get into The Gunslinger.
I won't toss Ghost Story out..yet.

Heather19
10-22-2018, 09:07 AM
I love when local stores/bookstores do cool stuff like that. Take note, Barnes and Noble!

Oh man, that's so awesome! I love it.
If you own an independent bookstore and aren't doing things like this, what's the point of having the bookstore? :lol: I know there's the whole selling of books thing, but still...haha

I think I posted pics when they opened up because they also have a Stephen King themed bathroom, a Stephen King bookclub, and have done numerous King themed windows. Not to mention everyone there is just wonderful. Really couldn't ask for a better bookstore in town. :D

Ricky
10-22-2018, 09:16 AM
Now that you mention a Stephen King bathroom, I do remember you posting pics. :lol:

BigJoeHillfan
10-22-2018, 06:52 PM
I just finished Artemis by Andy weir and loved it!!!:rock: It was a cool story with some cool science to back it up, just like the Martian.

BigJoeHillfan
10-25-2018, 10:11 AM
I am just starting The Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammon. So far so good. It will take a while since it is 600 pages.

WeDealInLead
10-25-2018, 11:28 AM
Neil Gaiman - Angels & Visitations

Alec
10-25-2018, 01:26 PM
Tim Willocks : "Memo From Turner.
If you have never read Willocks try "Green River Rising".
I doubt you will be disappointed.

St. Troy
10-31-2018, 07:58 AM
I recently finished John Bellairs' The Treasure Of Alpheus Winterborn and began Washington Irving's The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow (which I've read before, re-reading now as it's a nice October read).

Recouper
10-31-2018, 12:02 PM
I can see why The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow would be a nice October read. I've recently started The Gunslinger. I'm very new to Steven King.

WeDealInLead
10-31-2018, 03:24 PM
Grady Hendrix - We Sold Our Souls. It's everything Black Mad Wheel (Malerman) failed to be. Highly recommended.

St. Troy
11-01-2018, 08:55 AM
Just finished Washington Irving's The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow and began reading a few selected pieces from a Poe collection.

St. Troy
11-05-2018, 01:17 PM
Just finished my brief Poe re-read, which included:

Shadow - A Parable
Silence - A Fable
Berenice
The Fall Of The House Of Usher
A Descent Into The Maelstrom
The Masque Of The Red Death
The Tell-Tale Heart

Enjoyable, but I miscalculated on choosing ones that would suit a Halloween-time read (For example, A Descent Into The Maelstrom is about a boat sucked into a whirlpool - not much creepy about that, although it isn't a bad story).

St. Troy
11-05-2018, 01:42 PM
Just began Collected Ghost Stories by M.R. James, an English writer best known for his ghost stories, but who was also a respected medievalist scholar who once called James Joyce "that prostitutor of life and language." His ghost stories were originally published from 1904 - 1928.

This collection was published by Oxford University Press, which I mentioned in a previous post (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?113-What-are-you-currently-reading&p=1122806&viewfull=1#post1122806) about another of their collections (Arthur Conan Doyle's Gothic Tales, described more fully here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?113-What-are-you-currently-reading&p=1126211&viewfull=1#post1126211). As with GT, CGS has a striking cover design (which I'd post here, if not for the fact that I have no idea how to do so).

As I mentioned in that post, I'm reading up on older horror; this collection is part of that. Because I don't want to track down 10 - 15 collections per author, I like to find definitive collections when I can, and this one seems to fit the bill; Oxford describes it as "the only one-volume edition to include all the published stories included in M. R. James' 1931 Collected Ghost Stories [an older collection pretty much considered the comprehensive MRJ omnibus], plus three uncollected tales."

About the writing itself, Oxford says, "His classic supernatural tales draw on the terrors of the everyday, in which documents and objects unleash terrible forces, often in closed rooms and nighttime settings where imagination runs riot. Lonely country houses, remote inns, ancient churches or the manuscript collections of great libraries provide settings for unbearable menace from creatures seeking retribution and harm. These stories have lost none of their power to unsettle and disturb."

You can see more info (including that cover) at https://global.oup.com/academic/product/collected-ghost-stories-9780198797364?lang=en&cc=us.

WeDealInLead
11-07-2018, 05:33 PM
Finally finished Ball Lightning by Cixin Liu. It took me nearly three months and every minute spent felt like a chore. The last chapter is a sort of prequel to Three Body Problem.

This isn't the Cixin Liu you're looking for.

I'm also reading the Ministry biography by Al Jurgensen. Man, what a nutbag. It's a very quick and fun read.

Earl of Popkin
11-07-2018, 05:46 PM
Just finished The Fisherman by John Langan. Entertaining enough, but will probably end up forgotten over time. Odd that a short book (265ish) took me so long to read. Not quite sure why reddit thinks this book is an all timer

WeDealInLead
11-14-2018, 10:58 AM
Not really surprised it took you so long. The writing is dense but not much actually happens. I didn't even finish it. The ending is very obvious and if I ever wanted to read Peter Straub, I'll just read Peter Straub and not someone with a similar style.

I just started Olympos by Dan Simmons. This might take a while. And that's okay, I've ran out of Simmons books that interest me so I'll savour it.

Earl of Popkin
11-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Not really surprised it took you so long. The writing is dense but not much actually happens. I didn't even finish it. The ending is very obvious and if I ever wanted to read Peter Straub, I'll just read Peter Straub and not someone with a similar style.

Sick burn. I read this as you delivering it in the voice of david spade back when he did the Hollywood Minute

“I liked the Family Guy the first time I saw it...when it was called The Simpsons”

SystemCrashOverRide
11-14-2018, 12:51 PM
Reading Nick Cutter's "Little Heaven" - I've already read The Troop and The Deep, and so far I'm really enjoying Little Heaven, it's quite interesting to read his take on Gunslingers

webstar1000
11-14-2018, 05:34 PM
Anyone read Drood by Simmons? Any good? Worth reading? I’m hesitant after my last foray into his odd ball stuff. I have it just never bothered. Any one else read it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeDealInLead
11-14-2018, 06:55 PM
Depends on what you consider "odd ball stuff."

Heather19
11-15-2018, 06:13 AM
Yes, I'm curious what you mean by odd ball stuff as well? :lol:

I started Drood, and got maybe 1/3 in but then put it down. I enjoyed what I read, but for some reason I got readers block and didn't read anything for awhile which happens to me sometimes. I've been wanting to go back and read it but just haven't had the time to yet.

webstar1000
11-15-2018, 07:44 AM

Hyperion series I powered through. I did not enjoy it though. Hard read..... BUT Loved Terror, Summer of Night and others.

Ben Mears
11-15-2018, 08:07 AM

Hyperion series I powered through. I did not enjoy it though. Hard read..... BUT Loved Terror, Summer of Night and others.

Drood (Charles Dickens/Wilkie Collins) falls into Simmons' literary historical novel catalogue with the likes of The Crook Factory (Ernest Hemingway) and The Fifth Element (Sherlock Holmes). I have read all of them but struggled at times to finish. That said I think highly enough of his writing that I find it worth the effort.

webstar1000
11-15-2018, 08:08 AM

Drood (Charles Dickens/Wilkie Collins) falls into Simmons' literary historical novel catalogue with the likes of The Crook Factory (Ernest Hemingway) and The Fifth Element (Sherlock Holmes). I have read all of them but struggled at times to finish. That said I think highly enough of his writing that I find it worth the effort.

I am trying to find the link you shared long ago on the gang from Summer of Night... it was on line.. when they grow up. You still have that mate?

biomieg
11-15-2018, 10:25 AM
Have you read Song of Kali, Kris?

webstar1000
11-15-2018, 10:29 AM
Have you read Song of Kali, Kris?

No man, good?

biomieg
11-15-2018, 11:58 AM
It’s his first novel and pretty much a classic! Might get you started looking for the beautiful lettered edition too (15 copies - Jerome has one) ;)

Ben Mears
11-15-2018, 04:55 PM

I am trying to find the link you shared long ago on the gang from Summer of Night... it was on line.. when they grow up. You still have that mate?

Unfortunately Dan's website has been down for a while; all that is available at this time is the message board.

Hunchback Jack
11-16-2018, 07:38 PM
Anyone read Drood by Simmons? Any good? Worth reading? I’m hesitant after my last foray into his odd ball stuff. I have it just never bothered. Any one else read it?

It's probably closest in style to The Terror, but more digressive and many more research dumps. Many reviewers I've seen have loved Terror did not care as much for Drood.

Personally I prefer Drood, but I'm in the minority, I think. Both are excellent.

HBJ

Father Cody
11-16-2018, 07:56 PM
Would Drood be considered historical fiction?

frik
11-16-2018, 11:07 PM
Would Drood be considered historical fiction?

Sort of, I guess. The book mixes fiction with biographical facts from the lives of Charles Dickens and fellow author (and friend) Wilkie Collins - plus other historical and literary figures of the Victorian era.
It's a fictionalized account of the last five years of Dickens' life.

Not a favorite by far.

sk

WeDealInLead
11-20-2018, 08:06 PM
Philip K Dick - The Minority Report

Tapping out on Olympos on page 11. It's already a huge step down from Ilium. The reviews on Goodreads are SAVAGE. I actually laughed out loud at how personally offended some readers seemed by the book.

webstar1000
11-26-2018, 08:32 AM
Brother by Ania Ahlborn. Man oh man this book is good. I CANNOT put it down!!!!

Heather19
11-26-2018, 01:56 PM

I've been hearing a lot about her recently. I need to check out some of her books.

Currently reading The Silence by Tim Lebbon. About 2/3 thru and loving it. I wanted to read it before the movie came out, which I thought was soon, but now I can't seem to find any info on a US release date. Does anyone know anything about the film, and when it might be released?

Brian861
11-26-2018, 02:54 PM

I've been hearing a lot about her recently. I need to check out some of her books.

Currently reading The Silence by Tim Lebbon. About 2/3 thru and loving it. I wanted to read it before the movie came out, which I thought was soon, but now I can't seem to find any info on a US release date. Does anyone know anything about the film, and when it might be released?

I hear it’s very hush, hush :)

Girlystevedave
11-27-2018, 09:28 AM
I'm about three quarters of the way through the book adaptation of The Shape of Water and, holy moly, I'm really digging this book.

jsmcmullen92
11-27-2018, 10:24 AM
I'm about three quarters of the way through the book adaptation of The Shape of Water and, holy moly, I'm really digging this book.

It is better than The Strain? I hated those books. GdT is a great screen writer and movie maker but I dont like his novels.

Girlystevedave
11-27-2018, 12:40 PM

It is better than The Strain? I hated those books. GdT is a great screen writer and movie maker but I dont like his novels.

This is my first go at one of his books, so I can't say for sure. But this book makes me want to check out some of his other stuff. If I read The Strain and it sucks compared to this one, I'll let you know. :lol:

WeDealInLead
11-27-2018, 01:42 PM
I'm curious as to why you think The Strain sucks?

Heather19
11-27-2018, 05:13 PM

I hear it’s very hush, hush :)

:lol: I hope it gets released. I'm dying to see it.

webstar1000
11-28-2018, 06:57 PM
Just finished Brother. Hands down my favourite book in years. SO YOURSELF a favour and read this book. Fast read and a solid wild ride. I kind of wish King had wrote this to be honest.

St. Troy
12-05-2018, 09:08 AM
Just finished Collected Ghost Stories by M.R. James, more about which you can read in my initial post: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?113-What-are-you-currently-reading&p=1128411&viewfull=1#post1128411

I fear that my comments here will come across as unduly negative, when the truth is that I would recommend this to anyone interested in horror from the past (the stories were written roughly from 1895 - 1930).

My main issue is that the stories are so similar: virtually every story involves an academic of some kind researching church/religious etc. historical things, leading to situations/places/objects better left alone. Now, you might think this type of impression is something you risk when you read a collection of someone's lifetime body of work at one go, but A) this didn't happen when I immersed myself in Poe and Lovecraft, and B) the person who wrote the introduction agrees, writing "…James’s stories…are also generic works, variations on a successful template: this is what James’s Christmas audiences expected to hear. In the typical James story, a bachelor don or antiquarian scholar discovers a lost manuscript or artefact which unleashes supernatural forces, often causing him to rethink his comfortable assumptions about the nature of reality." To be fair to MRJ, I must point out that writing fiction was far from being his life's work; he was a prominent academic at the University of Cambridge, King's College, and Eton College, and medievalist scholar who wrote extensively within that field.

Another issue is the complete absence of a sense of dread (as you might find with any horror); the feeling here is more of “something odd happened; what do you make of this?” Not bad, just not horror as I’ve come to know it.

An interesting trait: MRJ often tells the reader directly that something happened that he will not show; for example:
- “Useless to imagine the talk which this story set going. It is not remembered.”
- “We will take as read the sentences about my surprise.”

There is the occasional humor (some at the expense of those who enjoy the game of golf):
“…a discussion which golfing persons can imagine for themselves, but which the conscientious writer has no right to inflict upon any non-golfing persons.”
“…words with which we have no concern were freely bandied across the table—merely golfing words, I would hasten to explain."
“The incidents which the ‘enclosed photograph’ recalled were productive of a severe shock to Mrs. Anstruther. It was decided that she must spend the winter abroad.” (My, how the other half lived).
“…the farther off from you, my dear, the better. There, don’t think it necessary to beat me; accept my apologies.”
...and an exchange between a simple country man and a Lord Chief Justice that accidentally devolved into a discussion of their respective teeth.

I will always be indebted to MRJ for introducing me to Piccadilly weepers (seriously, Google it).

For anyone who has read this far and not been totally discouraged from ever sampling MRJ's wares, I can recommend these as my favorites:
- Canon Alberic’s Scrap-book
- Count Magnus
- Casting The Runes

...but to be honest, if you enjoy these, you'll enjoy just about everything in this collection (and have I mentioned the cool cover)?

St. Troy
12-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Just started Dickens' The Haunted Man, the last of his five "Christmas books" (the first and foremost of which is, of course, A Christmas Carol), and my second favorite of them (behind ACC).

I've read this before (in early 2017) and although I don't re-read it annually (as I do with ACC), it felt like a good time to revisit it.

I'm enjoying it (I like the story and I love Dickens' writing), but man, I have to say, since early September (with a brief 2-week break for some John Bellairs) I've read mostly older works (Arthur Conan Doyle, Poe, Washington Irving, M.R. James, and now Dickens), and I am REALLY ready for something more modern. I had planned to read a load of Dickens' Christmas stories after this (not to be confused with the 5 books), but those are going to have to wait until next year.

St. Troy
12-06-2018, 08:13 AM
Just finished Dickens' The Haunted Man.

As I neared the end, I had to select the next book to read. I decided to pull out a few contenders, read the opening bits to see if anything grabbed me, and go from there.

Our contestants:
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
This is on my general TBR list because I haven't read it, it's considered a classic so I might as well see what the fuss was about, and a copy is close at hand (my daughter has it).
It's a possibility right now because it's sure to be very different from what I've been reading, and it's short (if I don't like it, I'm in and out quick).

The Making Of The Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes
I own this because I'm interested in all things nuke, basically, and considering it now because some non-fiction sounds good.

The Keep by F. Paul Wilson
I quite enjoyed a short story of his many years ago (titled Empathy if memory serves, which it often doesn't) and picked up some paperbacks to see what else he has to say for himself.

The winner...

webstar1000
12-06-2018, 08:27 AM
I am reading Horns and LOVE IT. Shocked I never did before! Looking for a few books for the XMas break.. what are a few favs you all have? I LOVE a good end of the world book but think I have seen them all with Bird Box being the last on my list. I was also thinking of the series that you all talk about by Patrick Rothfuss... Thanks in advance all!!

WeDealInLead
12-06-2018, 08:28 AM
I'm about to finish collected PKD Vol 4 and start what will be the last book of the year, Foe by Iain Reid.

Finished Foe in just under four hours. A reading slump breaker for sure. I picked it randomly from the library and was blown away by how addicting it was.

Girlystevedave
12-06-2018, 08:34 AM
I started The Handmaid's Tale last night because it's been on my shelf for a while and I'm trying to make myself read what I already own for now instead of buying more books. :lol:

If I'm being honest, I was unsure of whether or not I'd like it at all before I picked it up. But, I am enjoying it a lot. For now.

St. Troy
12-06-2018, 08:43 AM
...The Keep by F. Paul Wilson (started this morning). Has anyone out there read this (or anything else by FPW)?

As with many of the books I read, behind it is a long, dull story of interest only to me:

After reading Empathy, I looked around to see what else he had, and discovered he had a series that looked interesting, so I thought I'd give that a try, but things got weird (and stupid).

First, the series may be called the Adversary Series or the Repairman Jack series. I don't know for sure (and am afraid to research too deeply on things like Wikipedia for fear of spoilers), but these titles may be synonymous, or possibly one of these entities includes the other in a larger universe of works. However it went down, at some point I determined that there was generally a 6-book series that I wanted to read.

First dumb thing:
Instead of simply buying the first book, I decided to pick up all the paperbacks (I don't know why I did this).

Second dumb thing:
Somehow I bought two copies of one of the later books in the series, and neglected to buy the first freakin' one - which I needed to get the whole thing off the ground (what a meatball).

I'm not sure when this all happened, but I'm going to guess mid to late 90s, when my spare time for reading dwindled down to nothing (not to mention cash), so things like finding the missing book were forgotten.

A few years ago, now with enough time to read (who said train commutes are a bad thing?) and $5 for a paperback, I decided to do something about it, and started hunting down the books I already had; it turned out one of the books I originally had could not be found, and I was now two books short. At some point, on a birthday or Christmas, I received the two I needed, and the series has been waiting for me since then. And last night, when I read the first bit of the first book, I thought "yeah...this is the stuff."

Heather19
12-06-2018, 10:00 AM
I am reading Horns and LOVE IT. Shocked I never did before! Looking for a few books for the XMas break.. what are a few favs you all have? I LOVE a good end of the world book but think I have seen them all with Bird Box being the last on my list. I was also thinking of the series that you all talk about by Patrick Rothfuss... Thanks in advance all!!

Have you read The Silence by Tim Lebbon? I just finished it. So good, I couldn't put it down.

Brian861
12-06-2018, 10:03 AM

Horns is an awesome read.

I started The Handmaid's Tale last night because it's been on my shelf for a while and I'm trying to make myself read what I already own for now instead of buying more books. :lol:

If I'm being honest, I was unsure of whether or not I'd like it at all before I picked it up. But, I am enjoying it a lot. For now.

Haven't read the book but I enjoyed the Hulu series.

webstar1000
12-06-2018, 10:04 AM

Have you read The Silence by Tim Lebbon? I just finished it. So good, I couldn't put it down.

No really? Looking up now. We def like the same books. lol

Alec
12-06-2018, 10:13 AM
Memo From Turner by Tim Willocks.
You will not be disappointed.

Heather19
12-06-2018, 05:53 PM

No really? Looking up now. We def like the same books. lol

I highly recommend it :D

mae
12-10-2018, 03:46 PM
Going to finally pick up these, cannot wait to dive in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxVTXFo3bxY

webstar1000
12-10-2018, 06:37 PM
Has anyone read the Broken Earth series?

BigJoeHillfan
12-15-2018, 09:02 PM
Currently reading Artemis by Andy Weir. Really liking it as it is a good story and fast paced. I really liked The Martian by him also.

St. Troy
12-19-2018, 09:48 AM
I recently finished The Keep by F. Paul Wilson.

In my post above, I mentioned that I was confused about the series of which The Keep is a part. I've done a bit more research, and it boils down to:

-FPW connected a shitload of his books to each other
-The Adversary Cycle and the Repairman Jack series aren't synonymous, but do overlap
-The second book of the Adversary Cycle is the first book of the Repairman Jack series
-The final book in the 6-book Adversary Cycle is also the final book in the Repairman Jack series (which technically includes several books (10 or more) and several short pieces)
-The second and third books of the Adversary Cycle (and perhaps more) appear to have no surface connection to The Keep

My initial plan of reading the 6-book Adversary Cycle now has been blown up, because:
- if I like what I see of Repairman Jack in the next AC book (which is the first RJ book), I won't want to read the final RJ book and already know the end of his story before reading the rest of his story
- events at the end of The Keep have dampened my enthusiasm for continuing the series (which I still plan to do, but it's no longer a priority); something which had made me think "yeah! give me 5 more books of this please!"
a semi-immortal villain who was revealed to be even worse than suspected
...kind of faded when
he basically immediately died after like a two-second fight.
I was left thinking "whaaaa...now what am I supposed to do?"

The biggest factor is the writing itself - FPW overexplains absolutely everything. For example, this paragraph:
- “Magda shook her head in an attempt to clear it. This was becoming more incredible every minute!”
…could probably have been shortened to:
- “Magda shook her head.”
Keep in mind, I'm not one of these people who believes that within The Stand or It lurked a lean and mean 350-page masterpiece that King was too lazy or indulgent to edit; I do not believe in cutting just so you can say you did (this post is evidence of this fact). The fact is, FPW has no subtlety at all when describing the most simple things, and overdoes it every time.

Overall, his writing turns the potentially extraordinary into the merely interesting. Revelations feel very matter-of-fact, and the more impressive or meaningful a detail, the more I thought “Rothfuss would’ve made that mind-blowing.” To be fair to FPW, there were several spots where I could've thought "King would have given that one away well in advance - nice work keeping a lid on it, FPW."

So why do I plan to continue the series at some point, as negative as my comments have been? Well, FPW spins a decent yarn (and that counts for something):
- Mysterious deaths of Nazis at a castle in a remote mountainous region of Europe during early WWII? Count me in.
- There were at least a few times when I thought I knew what the villain was up to and was dead wrong.
- A hidden cache of forbidden Lovecraftian books? Hell yeah baby!

I read books for what they successfully give me, and it makes no sense to worry about what another author could've done with the same story (there's only one Rothfuss, one King, one Dickens etc.).

The Keep was interesting and intriguing - I was not blown away, but I was entertained. It was a breeze to read, which was important, as my reading of the last few months had left me feeling mentally constipated (sorry for that image) - I badly needed something that would just flow, and The Keep did.

St. Troy
12-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Just finished my annual re-read of A Christmas Carol.

peripheral
12-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Thanks for this analysis of Wilson, St Troy. He’s always been an author I’ve wondered about looking into, and this was a great overview. Cheers

webstar1000
12-19-2018, 11:23 AM
No one here has read the Broken Earth Trilogy?

ladysai
12-19-2018, 04:48 PM
Thanks for this analysis of Wilson, St Troy. He’s always been an author I’ve wondered about looking into, and this was a great overview. Cheers

Yes, thank you!

I am reading The Tomb and enjoying it. :thumbsup:

WeDealInLead
12-19-2018, 06:00 PM
Jack Vance - City of the Chasch

St. Troy
12-20-2018, 07:06 AM
Started Dune last night.

I bought this hardcover several years ago, possibly over 20, and it just...sat there.

Heather19
12-21-2018, 05:10 PM
Just finished Cabin at the End of the World. Loved it! I really didn't know much going in, and I'm glad I didn't. This one definitely surprised me at numerous times.

Hunchback Jack
12-21-2018, 05:16 PM
Started Dune last night.

I bought this hardcover several years ago, possibly over 20, and it just...sat there.

Good luck with Dune. It has a lot of hard-core followers, and a lot of readers who don't get what the big deal is. I fall somewhere in the middle, but closer to the former camp. The five Frank-Herbert-penned sequels can be tough going, but make the first book better, in my opinion, and have some great world-building.

(Stay away from the Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson Dune novels written long after Frank Herbert's death. They are TRASH).

HBJ

frik
12-23-2018, 09:06 AM
King recommended November Road, by Lou Berney. Now I did follow his advice before, and hated that particular title (forgot which one it was...), but I'll give this a go.
First finishing The Outsider - which, to me, is one of the most disappointing Kings in years....:(

sk

webstar1000
12-24-2018, 05:05 AM
The Fifth Season. No one here seemed to have read it and this is my favourite book of the last decade. It’s 500 pages and is part of Triology. I can’t say enough good about this. The writer is the only author to receive the Hugo award 3 consecutive years. I cannot wait for the second one but will have to as I’m away for 10 days!!! I wish I had brought it with me. 10/10 and if you haven’t read this... DO IT. Don’t read up as I did when I couldn’t find anything from you trusted readers and I ruined a HUGE spoiler so it would have been mind blowing if I didn’t know. I never take this long to write a review so please read this book and I’m sure you will be JUST like me and look forward to the next one!!!! Cheers all!

Lurker
12-26-2018, 05:35 PM
I thought I could get in one more book this year so started Stoker's Manuscript. Main character is a rare book dealer, expert, etc etc. And a few pages in is this: "So I dropped in on Doug with a gift, a first edition Thinner, by Stephen King before he wrote under his own name." Seriously?

WeDealInLead
12-26-2018, 05:56 PM
What's wrong with that?

I picked up Stranded by Bracken MacLeod.

Lurker
12-26-2018, 06:11 PM
I was under the impression Carrie etc came out under SK's own name before Richard Bachman appeared. Or am I not reading that sentence right - to me it implies Richard Bachman was published before Stephen King...

Heather19
12-26-2018, 06:23 PM
What's wrong with that?

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on this one once you're done.

I just started Hell Hound. Really enjoying it so far.

Kraken
12-27-2018, 07:09 AM
Just started The Stand

fernandito
12-27-2018, 09:32 AM
Got The Outsider for Christmas, just started it this morning. :)

Brian861
12-27-2018, 10:09 AM

:thumbsup:

Girlystevedave
12-27-2018, 11:23 AM

Niiiiice. I've still got that waiting for me on my shelf.

I got Elevation for Christmas and started it. :D

Father Cody
12-27-2018, 11:40 AM
Just finished The Dead Zone. First time reading it. What a great novel. Possibly my second favorite King story.

Girlystevedave
12-27-2018, 11:49 AM
Just finished The Dead Zone. First time reading it. What a great novel. Possibly my second favorite King story.

Yes! :thumbsup:
It's a wonderful book and one that I've reread numerous times.

Edit: What's your first favorite King story?

Father Cody
12-27-2018, 12:17 PM

Yes! :thumbsup:
It's a wonderful book and one that I've reread numerous times.

Edit: What's your first favorite King story?

The Drawing of the Three. If I remember correctly, it’s your favorite as well?

Btw I love your avatar/profile picture! My mother in law made a duplicate of that bunny costume for my one year old this year. There are pictures I can hold over my son’s head for decades! :biggrin:

Girlystevedave
12-27-2018, 12:28 PM
The Drawing of the Three. If I remember correctly, it’s your favorite as well?

Heck yeah, it is!
Well, it's at least my favorite Dark Tower book and probably my favorite King book as well. It's weird for me to pick favorites and try to decide whether or not DT books go onto the same list. These are the things that keep me awake at night. :lol:

Btw I love your avatar/profile picture! My mother in law made a duplicate of that bunny costume for my one year old this year. There are pictures I can hold over my son’s head for decades! :biggrin:

Haha! That is awesome! If you get the chance, post some pictures. I'd love to see that.

Brian861
12-27-2018, 11:31 PM

Awesome book along with The Drawing of the Three.

WeDealInLead
01-02-2019, 05:47 AM
What's wrong with that?

It was okay at best. There's a really neat plot twist about halfway through, but overall, I didn't really get what the phenomenon was, what caused it, the motivation of the antagonist, and most importantly, I couldn't really connect with any of the characters. I mean, it's an entertaining book in a beach reading sort of way. Except you read it in winter time.

Heather19
01-02-2019, 02:36 PM
What's wrong with that?

It was okay at best. There's a really neat plot twist about halfway through, but overall, I didn't really get what the phenomenon was, what caused it, the motivation of the antagonist, and most importantly, I couldn't really connect with any of the characters. I mean, it's an entertaining book in a beach reading sort of way. Except you read it in winter time.

I hear you. I felt the same way. I read it last winter during my winter horror read phase. I was really hoping for a scary cold book, but it ended up feeling like an episode of the Twilight Zone :lol:

Kongo
01-02-2019, 03:52 PM
Finally got through all of Locke and Key. I was so impressed I immediately jumped into NOS4A2. I went in completely blind (just like Locke and key), and I hear good things

Ricky
01-02-2019, 04:25 PM
I hear you. I felt the same way. I read it last winter during my winter horror read phase. I was really hoping for a scary cold book, but it ended up feeling like an episode of the Twilight Zone :lol:

I was thinking of you while I was reading the other day. I started Ararat and it's very "cold." :lol:

It's good so far. Kind of a popcorn novel that would be great for a blizzard.

Heather19
01-02-2019, 06:45 PM

I was thinking of you while I was reading the other day. I started Ararat and it's very "cold." :lol:

I have it on hand, and ready to go for this winter :lol:

WeDealInLead
01-02-2019, 06:56 PM
White by Tim Lebbon is an excellent winter yarn. It's from the olden days when he still wrote horror. The story is available on its own as a novella but it's also been published in short story collections which you can get for the same price.

I get downright seasonal with my books.

Ricky
01-02-2019, 07:46 PM

Do you really? That's funny. :lol:

If you end up liking it, Snowblind by the same author is also very "wintery."

White by Tim Lebbon is an excellent winter yarn. It's from the olden days when he still wrote horror. The story is available on its own as a novella but it's also been published in short story collections which you can get for the same price.

It sounds good. I'll add it to my to-read list (and looks like it's pretty short, too).

And thumbsup for seasonal book selections. :thumbsup:

Brian861
01-03-2019, 02:16 AM
Finally got through all of Locke and Key. I was so impressed I immediately jumped into NOS4A2. I went in completely blind (just like Locke and key), and I hear good things

Locke & Key was an excellent read. I have yet to read NOS4A2.

Heather19
01-03-2019, 10:45 AM

I bought it last month but haven't gotten to it yet. I just read The Silence by him and it was easily my favorite book I read this past year.

Do you really? That's funny. :lol:

If you end up liking it, Snowblind by the same author is also very "wintery."

Yes :) At the moment I have Ararat, Bone White by Ronald Malfi, and The Shuddering by Ania Ahlborn on hand to read.

I feel like I started Snowblind last year, but not sure why I didn't finish it. Think I might have gotten it from the library and didn't have time to read it before I had to return it.

Kongo
01-03-2019, 11:06 AM

I'm really excited Netflix is doing an adaptation of it now. If they do it right, they could really have something special. I'm enjoying NOS4A2 so far (which a lot of people consider his best), we'll see if it tops Horns for me.

webstar1000
01-03-2019, 11:07 AM
I am no on the second book in Broken Earth AND just as good as the first one. I cannot wait to see how this trilogy ends.... :eek:

Brian861
01-03-2019, 11:09 AM

I'm really excited Netflix is doing an adaptation of it now. If they do it right, they could really have something special. I'm enjoying NOS4A2 so far (which a lot of people consider his best), we'll see if it tops Horns for me.

Horns would be hard to top for me.

Father Cody
01-03-2019, 11:50 AM
Firestarter. So far so good.

mae
01-03-2019, 12:04 PM
Reading Rosemary's Baby, got a first edition hardcover in a library sale for $1. It's beat up but I kinda like that sometimes.

Brian861
01-03-2019, 01:01 PM
Firestarter. So far so good.

Reading Rosemary's Baby, got a first edition hardcover in a library sale for $1. It's beat up but I kinda like that sometimes.

Both excellent books. I listened to Rosemary's Baby last year read by Mia Farrow. She was excellent!

Heather19
01-03-2019, 02:49 PM

Nice! Let me know how you enjoy it. I have it sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read.

mae
01-03-2019, 02:55 PM

Nice! Let me know how you enjoy it. I have it sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read.

I actually read it 15-20 years ago I think but remember almost nothing of it. I'm about a quarter of the way through and really enjoying it. I really like the detailed but effortless descriptions of life in 1960s New York City, feels actually fairly modern. Can't help but picture the movie when I'm reading, sadly, that's the only downside, but it's totally on me.

WeDealInLead
01-08-2019, 05:33 AM
Finished Vance, started Tim Powers - Three Days to Never

MikeDuke
01-08-2019, 05:57 AM
Just started Wolves of the Calla. Looking forward to continuing the journey.

Earl of Popkin
01-08-2019, 09:00 AM
A perfect spy - John Le Carré

No shaken martinis so far, but man what a life this guy has lived

fernandito
01-08-2019, 09:17 AM
The Outsider is so damn good. Few things make me as a happy as a King book that's really good - he's been hit and miss these past few years.

Heather19
01-08-2019, 10:58 AM
The Outsider is so damn good. Few things make me as a happy as a King book that's really good - he's been hit and miss these past few years.

I agree. The last one I absolutely loved was Revival (but then again I hated the ending :()
How far into The Outsider are you?

webstar1000
01-08-2019, 11:00 AM

I agree. The last one I absolutely loved was Revival (but then again I hated the ending :()

ME too.. LOVED REVIVAL.

fernandito
01-08-2019, 01:18 PM

About 200 pages and change. I just passed the part where

Terry gets shot.

Haven't been captivated by a book of his in some time so I'm excited to see where he takes the story.

Heather19
01-08-2019, 03:01 PM

About 200 pages and change. I just passed the part where

Terry gets shot.

Haven't been captivated by a book of his in some time so I'm excited to see where he takes the story.

Oh that's a good part! I'll be curious to hear your thoughts once you're finished.

Heather19
01-10-2019, 02:48 PM
Just finished Lolita, which I loved. And Vox by Christina Dalcher. I really enjoyed that one up until the end and then it just felt a bit rushed.

mae
01-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Just finished Lolita, which I loved.

It's such a beautifully-written book dealing with such a dark subject. I still can't believe my high school English teacher let me write an essay about it as one of my elective summer reading books.

Heather19
01-10-2019, 05:15 PM
Just finished Lolita, which I loved.

It's such a beautifully-written book dealing with such a dark subject. I still can't believe my high school English teacher let me write an essay about it as one of my elective summer reading books.

That's exactly how I felt. It's quite disturbing and creepy considering what's really going on, but it really was so well written.

Hunchback Jack
01-10-2019, 05:32 PM
I am no on the second book in Broken Earth AND just as good as the first one. I cannot wait to see how this trilogy ends.... :eek:

Kris, I'm about half-way through the first (sometimes listening to the audiobook, sometimes reading on a Kindle). Really enjoying it so far, and I'm glad to hear the second is as good!

HBJ

webstar1000
01-10-2019, 05:33 PM

Kris, I'm about half-way through the first (sometimes listening to the audiobook, sometimes reading on a Kindle). Really enjoying it so far, and I'm glad to hear the second is as good!

HBJ

Nice!!! Glad to see someone else on this ride!

WeDealInLead
01-14-2019, 06:21 PM
Just finished For Rosemary by Gene Wolfe. It's his only book of poetry. I didn't "get" it. I mean, I don't like poetry but I'll read it if it's by my favourite writers. This went completely over my head.

I started Pebbles from the Mountain by Harlan Ellison. This collection was available (still is?) as a part of the two book set of Ellison Wonderland from PS Publishing.

WeDealInLead
01-16-2019, 02:00 PM
Man, PS Publishing needs a new proofreader. This Ellison is BRUTAL. I'm okay with typos, and really, most books have them. This though ... next level. They even misspelled HarlEn right on the dust jacket. Full-on savage mode with repeated sentences, random capitalization, wrong words, or even those typos that change the meaning of the sentence or better yet, make it meaningless. What does "Tried to keep Death way" even mean? I'm sure it was "Keep Death away." Surely they're not relying on autocorrect?

Only books I've seen botched worse than this were some Brian Keene's and David J. Schow's collections. Those were actually unreadable.

WeDealInLead
01-20-2019, 05:39 PM
Harlan Ellison - Deadly Streets. This is the real deal. No s.f., no fantasy, just gritty stories of and from the streets.

Hunchback Jack
01-20-2019, 06:15 PM
I'm reading Seventh Decimate by Stephen Donaldson, in preparation for the next volume, The War Within, coming out in April. I hope to receive an ARC in a few days though.

Heather19
01-22-2019, 05:35 AM

Just finished this one the other day. Loved it! So I've only read The Silence (which might be my favorite read of last year) and this one which I also thoroughly enjoyed. What other Tim Lebbon books do you guys recommend?

Also just started The Shuddering by Ania Ahlborn to continue with my winter horror themed reads.

WeDealInLead
01-22-2019, 05:49 AM
He's best at short form so any of his collections are your best bet. I came across him by accident; I ordered a grab bag from Cemetery Dance 7-8 years ago and they sent his collection Fears Unnamed. That blew me away because it reminded me of Stephen King - he didn't seem too interested in happy endings but true ones. I like when writers do that.

My favourite collections of his are Fears Unnamed, White and Other Tales of Ruin, As the Sun Goes Down, Nothing As It Seems, Last Exit for the Lost. He also has The Apocalypse Trilogy: Borrowed Time available from PS Publishing. That's three formerly limited hardcovers now in an affordable paperback.

As for his novels, the earlier the better. I just looked at Amazon and noticed a lot of his Kindle Singles available for a buck or two. That might seem cheaper but it's really not, all those stories are available in collections for dirt cheap on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-OTHER-TALES-OF-RUIN-Tim-Lebbon-1st-trade-HC-fine-Jack-Ketchum-intro-OOP/372027872851?epid=2303424&hash=item569e96d653:g:kgMAAOSw68NZe-BP

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fears-Unnamed-by-Tim-Lebbon/141968950251?epid=6035449&hash=item210e0243eb:g:OMYAAOSwgd1atyBk

Heather19
01-22-2019, 07:36 AM
Awesome, thanks. I'll definitely be checking them out.

webstar1000
01-22-2019, 09:04 AM
Hey all. I was wondering if anyone has read the Snowman by Jo Nesbo? I want to read it cause another friend said they LOVED IT.. but I then heard from another that it would not make sense if you don't read the Harry Hole novels in order.. this true?

Alec
01-22-2019, 02:10 PM
Kris you can read The Snowman without trawling through the complete series. There is enough recap during the book for you to become engaged.

AS.

webstar1000
01-22-2019, 02:46 PM
Kris you can read The Snowman without trawling through the complete series. There is enough recap during the book for you to become engaged.

AS.

Thanks good buddy!!!

WeDealInLead
01-24-2019, 07:44 AM
Finished the millionth reread of The Gunslinger, and first re-read of The Hellbound Heart. The truly good books get better the more you read them. I think some vintage Bradbury is next.

Ricky
01-24-2019, 06:24 PM
Looking for a quick transition read between books? Chapter 1 of my book is available for FREE!

Click here for a free 15-page sample! (https://www.inkshares.com/books/showtime)

Hunchback Jack
01-25-2019, 01:59 AM
Now reading The War Within by Stephen Donaldson. Liking it so far.

St. Troy
01-25-2019, 09:38 AM
Liberation!

Today I finished Dune.

The words that come to mind are "dry" (sorry for the pun) and "competent": though the plotting, world-building, and dialogue were competently executed (there's no actual weakness to be described, as with F. Paul Wilson), I found the writing quite dry and sterile, utterly unengaging. However, given the strengths I just listed, I am not surprised that Dune has a following; I can say this is intelligent, imaginative fiction that stylistically is just not for me.

Because I wasn't enjoying it, and because I've been reading it for so long (I started it on Dec 18 ), it felt like I was stuck in it forever. The drag was due to my time away from work (I only read on the train to and from work), and with time off after the holidays and for the birth of a grandchild, that really stretched out. Frank Herbert isn't to blame for my schedule, of course, but the discouragement of knowing Dune was still in my damn bag after so long returned me to the reading fatigue by which I'd been seized late last year (which culminated in the collection of one-note horror stylings of M.R. James).

Put another way - Dune was the best book I ever hated reading...

St. Troy
01-25-2019, 09:45 AM
Just started The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

Epistolary novel set in 1946 on a small island in the English Channel formerly occupied by German forces.

It looks light and engaging, which seems just the thing as I attempt to recover from the mind-numbing drudgery that was Dune.

Although not normally the type of thing I would read, it was an option because my daughter has it.

[FWIW, I came really close to re-reading Peter Straub's Ghost Story (which I've read before at least twice, but not for well over a decade, and of which I recently bought a used hardcover for <$4) instead of this; perhaps that will be next.]

Hunchback Jack
01-25-2019, 10:39 AM
Sorry to hear you didn't like Dune. Given your comments, I expect you will not like Dune Messiah, the next in the series, either. It has the same writing style that put you off Dune, only more so.

Personally I love the series, and books that I originally found a hard slog are now my favorite. But the characters are very cold and hard; the appeal of the series to me is really the ideas, setting and grand vision of a future. And the intrigue - plans within plans.

HBJ

WeDealInLead
01-25-2019, 10:45 AM
But the characters are very cold and hard; the appeal of the series to me is really the ideas, setting and grand vision of a future. And the intrigue - plans within plans.

HBJ

This. Dune is not an easy book to digest but I wouldn't have it any other way. The language is perfectly suited for the setting, something livelier and flowery (Vance, Bradbury) wouldn't work here. I still need to read Herbert's short stories before I re-read the entire series.

Mattrick
01-25-2019, 02:44 PM
Looking for a quick transition read between books? Chapter 1 of my book is available for FREE!

Click here for a free 15-page sample! (https://www.inkshares.com/books/showtime)

I'll check some of that out later. I'll post a link to what I'm working on right now if you're interested.

Ricky
01-25-2019, 05:38 PM
Yes, please! I keep waiting for you to release your other book in print!

WeDealInLead
01-30-2019, 08:16 AM
Subterranean Press is publishing Dead Pig Collector by Warren Ellis and that reminded me that although I bought the e-book years ago, I still haven't read it. When I finally did read it, I was reminded why I kept postponing it; Warren Ellis can't actually write. Or, more specifically, he can't write prose. He's a master comic writer, his non-fiction is on point too, but when it comes to describing scenes and events, I get the feeling that the years of having an artist draw them for him had stilted his own ability to do it with words. Dunno, maybe I'm overthinking a 40-page novella.

I started Zombie Jam by David J. Schow (for you Wrightson fans, this books is illustrated and signed by him), and The Urth of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe.

Also, a big fat DNF on The Disease of Language by Alan Moore. I just don't have enough time, patience, and desire to parse every damned sentence. I don't want to sound negative, but I'm getting to the point where instead of thinking, Oh man, I regret not reading that book, I'm thinking, Man, am I ever glad I read something I actually enjoyed.

WeDealInLead
01-30-2019, 08:23 AM
Oh, yeah. Atmosphera Incognita (Neal Stephenson) is available in an anthology called Hieroglyph. Just saying in case you don't want to wait on the SubPress edition. It's a lot cheaper too, especially if you just want to read it.

WeDealInLead
02-01-2019, 08:17 PM
Damn...I miss when this thread was more active. I discovered some pretty good books based off of recommendations here.

Started Thrust by Tom Piccirilli.

Garrell
02-01-2019, 08:26 PM
20% through Sleeping Beauties and enjoying it so far...

Brian861
02-01-2019, 10:10 PM
20% through Sleeping Beauties and enjoying it so far...

Put it down at 50%. You'll walk away much happier.

Garrell
02-02-2019, 05:48 AM
That bad?

Brian861
02-02-2019, 09:47 AM
That bad?

It was for me. But again, I liked Doctor Sleep, GBB, and Elevation. Hated Revival. So :shrug:

SenorEdmonds
02-02-2019, 04:31 PM
I just started Gerald's Game for the first time. It's so different than anything I've read from King before. I guess it's closest to Misery, but a very different vibe. I'm digging it so far.

Garrell
02-02-2019, 07:52 PM
Loved Elevation, GBB was decent. Still gotta read the other 2

Brian861
02-02-2019, 11:52 PM
Loved Elevation, GBB was decent. Still gotta read the other 2

Well, maybe we're on the same wavelength. If so, I'll apologize now :)

Garrell
02-03-2019, 06:22 AM
This is my second attempt at SB. One attempt so far on Revival. 2 attempts at Lisey’s Story and counting. Loved the Outsider

Brian861
02-03-2019, 11:29 AM
This is my second attempt at SB. One attempt so far on Revival. 2 attempts at Lisey’s Story and counting. Loved the Outsider

LS is another one I liked that most didn't. The Outsider was pretty good for me except for the confrontation.

Heather19
02-04-2019, 08:05 AM
I just started Gerald's Game for the first time. It's so different than anything I've read from King before. I guess it's closest to Misery, but a very different vibe. I'm digging it so far.

I loved Gerald's Game. One of my favorites.

Brian861
02-04-2019, 12:46 PM

I loved Gerald's Game. One of my favorites.

Not a bad read.

biomieg
02-04-2019, 02:00 PM
About to start The Anubis Gates.

Jerrika
02-05-2019, 05:41 AM
I'm reading The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson.

Heather19
02-05-2019, 05:46 AM
Just started the audio book of The Dead Zone. Loving it so far. Not sure if it's the story or James Franco's narration :lol:

webstar1000
02-05-2019, 05:46 AM

So am i! Cause of Suntup;s work!

Jean
02-05-2019, 07:45 AM
So am i! Cause of Suntup;s work!

that is one of bears' favorite books ever

Jean
02-05-2019, 07:46 AM
Just started the audio book of The Dead Zone. Loving it so far. Not sure if it's the story or James Franco's narration :lol:did you read it before, i forget?

Girlystevedave
02-05-2019, 12:11 PM
Just started the audio book of The Dead Zone. Loving it so far. Not sure if it's the story or James Franco's narration :lol:did you read it before, i forget?

I was about to ask the same thing.

And I'm trying to imagine Franco doing the narration. :lol:

Ricky
02-05-2019, 04:21 PM
Just started the audio book of The Dead Zone. Loving it so far. Not sure if it's the story or James Franco's narration :lol:

I forgot about your Franco obsession for a minute. :lol:

Heather19
02-06-2019, 08:50 AM
No I haven't read it before. But I can tell you James does a great job at narrating :D

I'm at the part where Johnny just wakes up from his coma

Jean
02-07-2019, 04:57 AM
No I haven't read it before. oh!! I envy you then. I am very partial to this book: it was the first King I read in my life. Back in maybe 1985. In Russian (because I didn't know any English at that time yet). In the Russian main foreign literature magazine of that time, aptly called "Foreign Literature". It was published in installments. I had never read anything published in installments, because as an extremely fast reader I couldn't allow a month to elapse between every fifty pages. I had never read a magazine version ofj anything, not only because of the installments, but also because it was always a shortened version, and bears prefer, if anything, expanded versions of any texts. I had never heard about King. The odds were all against my ever coming across this particular piece. I loved every word of it. I couldn't wait to get the next issue of the magazine. I reread the whole thing a few times. And when I finally learned English, I made sure that TDZ be the first King book I read in English. It's - well, it is not even among my top 10 King books, he's written some that are a lot better; but it is my very own King book.

Heather19
02-07-2019, 05:14 AM
That's very cool Jean. I'm glad you came across him. Pet Semetary was my first King and that one will always hold a special place in my heart as well.

I'm thoroughly enjoying The Dead Zone so far. It has that old school King feel to it. I'm about halfway thru, so hopefully the second half is just as good as the first.

St. Troy
02-07-2019, 09:43 AM
Just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

As previously stated, this is an epistolary novel set in 1946 on a small island in the English Channel formerly occupied by German forces. Letters go back and forth between our central character, Juliet, who is an author seeking out something on which to write, and her professional contacts, and the residents of Guernsey, one of whom touches things off by writing a letter to Juliet after encountering a book that had previously belonged to her.

The characters were unique without feeling "written" (see the Thunder Five for the wrong way to do this); the humor was funny without feeling like an attempt at comedy.

TGLAPPPS was very much not my usual reading, but felt fresh and genuine, thoroughly cleansing my of the reading fatigue with which Dune recently burdened me.

Some amusing quotes:
“…I much prefer whining to counting my blessings.”

“…the Queen was very happy wearing her 1939 wardrobe, so why shouldn’t I be?”

“My aunt says she will never set foot in our house again, and Mother hasn’t spoken to me since that day. I find it all very peaceful.”

“Is there one of my elixirs you’d like me to slip in his coffee? Just nod to me at Market and I’ll know which one you mean.”

webstar1000
02-07-2019, 09:44 AM
I need a new book. I want a REAL page turner. ANYONE have one book that they could not put the hell down???

St. Troy
02-07-2019, 09:53 AM
I just started Peter Straub's Ghost Story, with which many of you are familiar.

I've read this at least twice, the most recent time being at least 10 years ago and possibly as long as 20 years ago; there's a lot I don't recall (making this a fun re-read).

Brian861
02-07-2019, 09:59 AM
I just started Peter Straub's Ghost Story, with which many of you are familiar.

I've read this at least twice, the most recent time being at least 10 years ago and possibly as long as 20 years ago; there's a lot I don't recall (making this a fun re-read).

I made it 25 pages in and just couldn't press on.

St. Troy
02-07-2019, 10:13 AM

Have you read/do you like any of Straub's other work?

25 pages, that's fast. Did you find it boring (I know there isn't a whole lot that actually happens in the first 25 pages)? Just curious.

It takes a lot for me to give up on a book. Boring I can deal with, but I almost bailed 22 pages into Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas because it seemed just so wink-wink cheesy. I stuck with it and enjoyed some of it (it had some nice ideas); although I can't quite say I liked it, I wouldn't say everyone should stay away either.

Style can certainly be a factor. I often read online samples (at Amazon or Barnes & Noble) and there was one that, had I had the book in hand, I definitely would have dropped like a hot potato: Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg (on which the movie Angel Heart (which I liked) was based). Good God - just not for me; I would not have been able to continue with anything written like that.

WeDealInLead
02-07-2019, 10:14 AM
I need a new book. I want a REAL page turner. ANYONE have one book that they could not put the hell down???

Check out the Cemetery Dance select titles by John R. Little, Gene O'Neill or the Timmy Quinn series by Kealan Patrick Burke.

I just blew through The Straw Men by Michael Marshall in one day. It's around 350 pages. Cemetery Dance did the 10th anniversary edition a few years back.

webstar1000
02-07-2019, 10:14 AM

Check out the Cemetery Dance select titles by John R. Little, Gene O'Neill or the Timmy Quinn series by Kealan Patrick Burke.

I just blew through The Straw Men by Michael Marshall in one day. It's around 350 pages. Cemetery Dance did the 10th anniversary edition a few years back.

Straw Men eh... wow. I will get that next! THANKS!

Brian861
02-07-2019, 10:21 AM

Have you read/do you like any of Straub's other work?

25 pages, that's fast. Did you find it boring (I know there isn't a whole lot that actually happens in the first 25 pages)? Just curious.

It takes a lot for me to give up on a book. Boring I can deal with, but I almost bailed 22 pages into Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas because it seemed just so wink-wink cheesy. I stuck with it and enjoyed some of it (it had some nice ideas); although I can't quite say I liked it, I wouldn't say everyone should stay away either.

Style can certainly be a factor. I often read online samples (at Amazon or Barnes & Noble) and there was one that, had I had the book in hand, I definitely would have dropped like a hot potato: Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg (on which the movie Angel Heart (which I liked) was based). Good God - just not for me; I would not have been able to continue with anything written like that.

It was laboring I guess is the best way to put it. Some effort should probably be put forth to reading, but not so much when I'm doing it for entertainment. The only other thing I've read of his was with King of course.

St. Troy
02-07-2019, 10:39 AM
It was laboring I guess is the best way to put it.

Gotcha. I felt that way with Dune (which I stubbornly stuck with but would've loved to walk away from).

Jean
02-07-2019, 11:22 AM
I felt that way with Dune (which I stubbornly stuck with but would've loved to walk away from).I did walk away from Dune after a really long struggle; precisely because of the style. Just as, because of the style, I love everything Straub I've read so far (Ghost Story especially), though whatever I read by him, the story always loses me towards the middle and leaves very dissatisfied at the end; he is much more a writer (as in "write", like putting words together) than a storyteller, I think. I personally love it, there are no more good writers among authors than there are good storytellers.

WeDealInLead
02-07-2019, 12:11 PM
I think you might like John Langan and Laird Barron.

peripheral
02-07-2019, 12:54 PM

Barron is one of the greatest living authors, IMO. And I really enjoyed Langan’s The Fisherman.

Earl of Popkin
02-07-2019, 03:05 PM

Barron is one of the greatest living authors, IMO. And I really enjoyed Langan’s The Fisherman.

I know not of this Laird fella. Any recommendations as a starting point for a Barron virgin?

peripheral
02-07-2019, 03:13 PM

I know not of this Laird fella. Any recommendations as a starting point for a Barron virgin?

Ahhh, yes. Fresh and ripe for spoiling! 😏. I’d start with his first two short story collections - The Imago Sequence and Occultation. You can also find a few free stories online here to get a taste (The Procession Of The Black Sloth is one of my favourites) ...
https://www.freesfonline.de/authors/Laird_Barron.html

Earl of Popkin
02-07-2019, 03:53 PM
Perfect, good sir. Thank you kindly for obliging

Jean
02-08-2019, 04:45 AM
I think you might like John Langan and Laird Barron.looking for their books now, thank you! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif.html)

jsmcmullen92
02-08-2019, 08:59 AM

Try a Brandon Sanderson if you like Fantasy.

fernandito
02-08-2019, 09:48 AM

The Deep by Nick Cutter. Creepy af.

Girlystevedave
02-08-2019, 11:19 AM
No I haven't read it before. oh!! I envy you then. I am very partial to this book: it was the first King I read in my life. Back in maybe 1985. In Russian (because I didn't know any English at that time yet). In the Russian main foreign literature magazine of that time, aptly called "Foreign Literature". It was published in installments. I had never read anything published in installments, because as an extremely fast reader I couldn't allow a month to elapse between every fifty pages. I had never read a magazine version ofj anything, not only because of the installments, but also because it was always a shortened version, and bears prefer, if anything, expanded versions of any texts. I had never heard about King. The odds were all against my ever coming across this particular piece. I loved every word of it. I couldn't wait to get the next issue of the magazine. I reread the whole thing a few times. And when I finally learned English, I made sure that TDZ be the first King book I read in English. It's - well, it is not even among my top 10 King books, he's written some that are a lot better; but it is my very own King book.

Jean, this is so very awesome.
And I can't even imagine the anticipation between each installment. :lol:

That's very cool Jean. I'm glad you came across him. Pet Semetary was my first King and that one will always hold a special place in my heart as well.

I'm thoroughly enjoying The Dead Zone so far. It has that old school King feel to it. I'm about halfway thru, so hopefully the second half is just as good as the first.

It totally has that old-school feel to it! I'm glad you're liking it. It's always been one of my favorites. And I think you''ll enjoy the second half just as much. :)

Girlystevedave
02-08-2019, 11:27 AM

Hey, remind me if you already read A Boy's Life? I'm thinking you did and really enjoyed it, but that one always comes to mind for me for recent favorites.

Girlystevedave
02-08-2019, 11:27 AM

The Deep by Nick Cutter. Creepy af.

Ooh! I bought this recently to read soon. I've heard good things.

webstar1000
02-08-2019, 12:14 PM

Hey, remind me if you already read A Boy's Life? I'm thinking you did and really enjoyed it, but that one always comes to mind for me for recent favorites.

I did and loved it. Great recommendation by whoever did so!

Alec
02-08-2019, 02:37 PM
The Religion by Tim Willocks.

Jean
02-09-2019, 01:58 AM
Jean, this is so very awesome. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear-176.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear-176.gif.html) amazing how it works, love: now you said that and I rememberd something I haven't thought of for decades. I've often mentioned that I have a friend, my oldest one, since almost fifty years ago; from the first day at school and throughout all the ten years of that-era schooling we shared the same desk; now he lives in Paris and I often go visit him there. But. Exactly after finishing school, we fell out - for at least two years, maybe three. Over something that seemed of paramount importance at that time (no, not a girl. Something metaphysical. Of course.).

Well, when we met again - quite by chance - we, without talking about it, by some wisdom of intuition, started behaving as if nothing had happened, as if it was some external chance that almost put an end to our friendship, and not our own idiocy; thus, we talked - non stop, as if to make up for the two(three)-year-long gap - about things and others. Books too. And I said, "You know, I am reading SUCH A BOOK..." - and he said: "The Dead Zone?! I am reading it!" And we laughed, and then I said that I hated reading things in magazines, and he said "Of course you do, I know, because I hate it too," and it was, like, self-evident, that we both hate the same things and read the same things, and how stupid it was to lose those two/three years over even the most important idea in the world.

Girlystevedave
02-09-2019, 07:26 AM
Jean, this is so very awesome. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear-176.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear-176.gif.html) amazing how it works, love: now you said that and I rememberd something I haven't thought of for decades. I've often mentioned that I have a friend, my oldest one, since almost fifty years ago; from the first day at school and throughout all the ten years of that-era schooling we shared the same desk; now he lives in Paris and I often go visit him there. But. Exactly after finishing school, we fell out - for at least two years, maybe three. Over something that seemed of paramount importance at that time (no, not a girl. Something metaphysical. Of course.).

Well, when we met again - quite by chance - we, without talking about it, by some wisdom of intuition, started behaving as if nothing had happened, as if it was some external chance that almost put an end to our friendship, and not our own idiocy; thus, we talked - non stop, as if to make up for the two(three)-year-long gap - about things and others. Books too. And I said, "You know, I am reading SUCH A BOOK..." - and he said: "The Dead Zone?! I am reading it!" And we laughed, and then I said that I hated reading things in magazines, and he said "Of course you do, I know, because I hate it too," and it was, like, self-evident, that we both hate the same things and read the same things, and how stupid it was to lose those two/three years over even the most important idea in the world.

Oh wow. So, basically, even though you had already "become" friends again, it's like your shared appreciation of reading The Dead Zone at the same time really solidified that bond. So cool.

Jean
02-09-2019, 08:31 AM
precisely! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bearheart.gif.html) :rose:

Heather19
02-12-2019, 09:30 AM
Just started reading Dark Matter by Michelle Paver the other day. It's so good, I can't put it down. Of course I'm a sucker for scary books that take place in the Arctic.

I also finally finished The Shuddering by Ania Ahlborn. It was ok, but I think I was hoping for more from it. It read very much like a horror film. Group of young adults go to remote cabin, get snowed in, but they're not alone... The ending was excellent though.

Girlystevedave
02-12-2019, 12:25 PM
Just started reading Dark Matter by Michelle Paver the other day. It's so good, I can't put it down. Of course I'm a sucker for scary books that take place in the Arctic.

Ooh, I Just looked this up and it sounds interesting. Let me know if it ends up being a good one.

Also, did you finish The Dead Zone? And did you like it?

Girlystevedave
02-12-2019, 12:30 PM
I started reading The Strain the other day and am really enjoying it so far.

SystemCrashOverRide
02-12-2019, 12:35 PM
I've been slowly wading into "The Expanse" series by James S. A. Corey, and have almost finished Caliban's War. Thoroughly enjoying it so far, happy to discover a series that's already so established - I don't have to wait years for the next installment!

Heather19
02-12-2019, 12:36 PM

Ooh, I Just looked this up and it sounds interesting. Let me know if it ends up being a good one.

Not yet, but I should finish it this week. I think I've only got about 5 hrs left. I'll let you know when I finish it.

Lookwhoitis
02-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Fire & Blood is pretty awesome!

Girlystevedave
02-12-2019, 12:59 PM

Not yet, but I should finish it this week. I think I've only got about 5 hrs left. I'll let you know when I finish it.

Nice!
I'm living vicariously through you with the whole Dead Zone reading. :lol:

Heather19
02-12-2019, 01:14 PM

Nice!
I'm living vicariously through you with the whole Dead Zone reading. :lol:

:lol: I'm enjoying it way more that I ever thought I would. For some reason it's always been near the bottom of my King to-read pile. I'm glad I finally got to it.

Girlystevedave
02-12-2019, 02:41 PM
:lol: I'm enjoying it way more that I ever thought I would. For some reason it's always been near the bottom of my King to-read pile. I'm glad I finally got to it.

Heck yeah! I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's one I need to do another re-read of one day soon.

Jean
02-13-2019, 04:31 AM
I'm living vicariously through you with the whole Dead Zone reading. :lol:so are bears

mae
02-13-2019, 05:56 AM

Anything by Michael Crichton.

Heather19
02-13-2019, 06:47 AM
So I read Dark Matter by Michelle Paver yesterday while I was stuck home in the snow. It was the perfect book for the day, I really enjoyed it. I do wish it had been scarier, but then again it's pretty rare for me to find a book that will actually scare me. Has anyone read anything by her? I'm planning on starting Thin Air tonight.

Jean
02-13-2019, 06:56 AM
Anything by Michael Crichton.this!

SystemCrashOverRide
02-13-2019, 08:33 AM
So I read Dark Matter by Michelle Paver yesterday while I was stuck home in the snow. It was the perfect book for the day, I really enjoyed it. I do wish it had been scarier, but then again it's pretty rare for me to find a book that will actually scare me. Has anyone read anything by her? I'm planning on starting Thin Air tonight.

Any relation to the Television Series?

Heather19
02-13-2019, 09:01 AM

Just looked it up because I never heard of a tv series, but no. This story is about a team of researchers in the 1930s who head to the Arctic for a year, however the area where they decide to stay is haunted.

SystemCrashOverRide
02-13-2019, 11:42 AM

Just looked it up because I never heard of a tv series, but no. This story is about a team of researchers in the 1930s who head to the Arctic for a year, however the area where they decide to stay is haunted.

Sounds like an interesting concept... if you liked that, conceptually it sounds a bit similar to "The Deep" by Nick Cutter, which I would recommend.

If you've never read any of his horror, he comes recommended and well reviewed by King himself, but his horror...it doesn't stop, it just smothers you and doesn't let up. Very different than what I was used to, but interesting in it's own right.

webstar1000
02-13-2019, 12:23 PM
Love the Snowman! I’m killing it!

Heather19
02-13-2019, 02:57 PM

Sounds like an interesting concept... if you liked that, conceptually it sounds a bit similar to "The Deep" by Nick Cutter, which I would recommend.

If you've never read any of his horror, he comes recommended and well reviewed by King himself, but his horror...it doesn't stop, it just smothers you and doesn't let up. Very different than what I was used to, but interesting in it's own right.

I'll check it out. I've had his books on my to-read list for awhile now, but haven't gotten to them yet. Maybe I'll bump that one up.

WeDealInLead
02-13-2019, 08:20 PM
Caitlin R. Kiernan - Black Helicopters. This is the expanded version.

Heather19
02-14-2019, 10:44 AM
Amanda and Jean, I finished The Dead Zone! I loved it. I'm really glad they picked it for bookclub this month otherwise it would probably still be sitting there waiting for me to read it. I have seen the movie, but it's been so many years that I can't really remember much from it, and quite possibly this isn't even in the movie, but

why did Johnny have to die :cry: I know... it's good for the story, but I was so sad at the end.

St. Troy
02-14-2019, 11:57 AM
My answer would be because the message of The Dead Zone seems to boil down to

life isn't fair

and that's the most consistent conclusion with that, just as how, in Cujo,

Tad had to die in order to maintain the "things fall apart no matter what you do" message I see in it - happy endings would've worked against both books.

Of course I don't know King's thoughts on those specific details; that's just how I see it.

Brian861
02-14-2019, 12:36 PM
My answer would be because the message of The Dead Zone seems to boil down to

life isn't fair

and that's the most consistent conclusion with that, just as how, in Cujo,

Tad had to die in order to maintain the "things fall apart no matter what you do" message I see in it - happy endings would've worked against both books.

Of course I don't know King's thoughts on those specific details; that's just how I see it.

Completely agree about the conclusion of both books.

St. Troy
02-14-2019, 01:02 PM
Here's the thing with Cujo:

When I first read the book, I didn't care that Tad died.

When I saw the movie, I was pissed that Tad lived; I thought they had weakened the story for "Hollywood" purposes.

(Many years pass)

I re-read Cujo a few years ago; Tad's death (despite my knowledge of it) hit me hard (the fact that I was now a parent might've played a role in my changed perspective). I knew it made sense for the reason mentioned above, but it seemed like one disaster too many. I think I felt like, can't we stop just short of a child's death? Everything else went wrong - can't Tad just make it out alive?

Earl of Popkin
02-14-2019, 03:16 PM
Here's the thing with Cujo:

When I first read the book, I didn't care that Tad died.

When I saw the movie, I was pissed that Tad lived; I thought they had weakened the story for "Hollywood" purposes.

(Many years pass)

I re-read Cujo a few years ago; Tad's death (despite my knowledge of it) hit me hard (the fact that I was now a parent might've played a role in my changed perspective). I knew it made sense for the reason mentioned above, but it seemed like one disaster too many. I think I felt like, can't we stop just short of a child's death? Everything else went wrong - can't Tad just make it out alive?

I think about this book a lot for the same reason. I’m a damn fool but I’ve ultimately arrived at two conclusions on this:

1 - our maestro doesnt even remember writing it, so best not to linger too long on the moral compass of a coke binge’s thought process

2 - many of the characters (puppy included) had good or at least not bad intentions, but their choices yielded the worst possible outcome anyway. Cujo was just sniffing a hole in the ground (we’ve all been there), the cop was just trying to protect/serve and mom was just trying to protect her child. Sometimes life rabies happens to good people

Mattrick
02-14-2019, 03:32 PM
I didn't think Cujo was a very good book at all. It's been a few years since I've read it and a lot of the things I disliked have faded out of memory. But I remember not liking it much at all.

Ben Mears
02-15-2019, 06:36 AM
but...
why did Johnny have to die :cry: I know... it's good for the story, but I was so sad at the end.

Agree with your observation but it led to one of SK's most poignant scenes in chapters 9-13 from Part III-Notes From The Dead Zone.

Heather19
02-15-2019, 08:33 AM
I agree with what everyone has said

I was just really sad to see him die in the end, that's all. :(