PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

ladysai
05-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Listener... hated it. Seemed so juvenile.

Interesting. I really liked it. Facinating how a book can produce different results for different people. Pretty cool.

It sure is... I have always found that fascinating too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is interesting how opinions can vary....
I am still wondering what planet the Harry Potter haters hail from. :lol:

St. Troy
05-15-2018, 07:51 AM
This morning I finished The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

I enjoyed it a lot (best new (to me) fiction I've read in a while), and I look forward to reading The Wise Man's Fear, but I am concerned about setting myself up for the long wait for book 3 (Pat don't work none too quick).

If I were to quibble, I'd say I wish TNOTW spent less time on
Denna. I get that a teen boy will be fascinated or obsessed with an attractive girl, but this is a very pedestrian feature of an otherwise extraordinary life.

Still, a good book is a good book, and this was.

St. Troy
05-15-2018, 07:54 AM
This morning I started Last Call by Tim Powers.

Still very early in the book; in fact, I haven't come close to even finishing the part I already read in an online sample (through Barnes & Noble's website, I think), which was mighty intriguing. It's been months since I read that; I've really been waiting for this read.

After reading The Name Of The Wind, I'd originally planned to read something recommended by my daughter and wife (All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr), but I enjoyed TNOTW so much that I felt I had to follow it up with something else I might really enjoy (I can't be sure I'll love Last Call, but the sample was long enough and good enough that I am confident).

BigJoeHillfan
05-15-2018, 09:41 AM
Has anyone read any N.K. Jemisin? I have heard she is really good and was considering starting "The Fifth Season" trilogy.

DoctorZaius
05-15-2018, 01:30 PM
I have a group of juniors in my English class that are engaged in book clubs right now, so I have four books going at once.

Luckily I am rereading The Long Walk (SK) and Good Omens (Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett). These are two of my favorites, and luckily some of the kids took my advice and jumped on board. Still it's a pleasure to reread each. One of the kids reading The Long Walk just discovered the Vietnam connection - great blogging discussions.

The two new ones that I am reading I had wanted to read anyways. I am reading Redshirts (John Scalzi) and Artemis (Andy Weir). Redshirts is a very funny book with lots of self-referential humor, while Artemis is just a space caper romp. Enjoying both so far (Redshirts a little more). I think both would make great films. I am halfway through each.

Father Cody
05-17-2018, 06:36 PM
Just started The Hungry Moon by Ramsey Campbell. So far so good.

WeDealInLead
05-29-2018, 08:22 AM
Alma Katsu - The Hunger

Bev Vincent
05-29-2018, 09:03 AM
Just finished BONFIRE by Krysten Ritter, the actress from Jessica Jones and Breaking Bad. I was very impressed by it -- a good thriller. I had the pleasure of meeting Ms Ritter over the weekend.

WeDealInLead
05-30-2018, 04:49 AM
Alma Katsu - The Hunger

Quoting myself because that's how I roll. The Hunger is essentially the summer time version of The Terror. Highly recommended.

Heather19
05-30-2018, 05:02 AM
Alma Katsu - The Hunger

Quoting myself because that's how I roll. The Hunger is essentially the summer time version of The Terror. Highly recommended.

Ok, you sold me. Now I need to add that book to my list :D

Currently making my way through The uncut version of The Stand. Think I'm about 450 pages in. Last time I made it to around 570. Hopefully I'm not reading this all summer.

webstar1000
05-30-2018, 05:09 AM
Dying to start Kings new book.... anyone here loving it?? I hear lots are elsewhere

BigJoeHillfan
05-30-2018, 10:56 AM
Just started "The Outsider" and I like it so far. tell you more when i get further along.

Kongo
05-30-2018, 03:25 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster. Just finished The Talisman for the first time, about to start Black House, which I'm excited for

Jean
06-01-2018, 02:33 AM
Long time lurker, first time poster. Just finished The Talisman for the first time, about to start Black House, which I'm excited for
superb! I so wish I could read BH again for the first time. It's in my top 5 King books.

WeDealInLead
06-03-2018, 06:32 PM
Just started two books, one new and one a classic. I'm a big fan of Charles Soule's comics (his Daredevil run is incredible and The Death of Wolverine was pretty good too) so picking up The Oracle Year was a no-brainer.

I also just started The Necroscope by Brian Lumley. My first Lumley. Hard to tell how much I'll like the rest of the book, but the prologue has me hooked.

BigJoeHillfan
06-04-2018, 05:05 PM
Just started "The Outsider" and I like it so far. tell you more when i get further along.

Over half way through and I think it is great!!!

webstar1000
06-05-2018, 01:47 AM

Yeah me too. I’m 80 pages in and HOOKED!! It’s like an old King book for me....

St. Troy
06-08-2018, 05:55 AM
This morning I finished Last Call by Tim Powers.

Although I did enjoy it and plan to read more by Powers (this was the first I've read of his), and I wouldn't use the word "disappointing," it didn't quite hit the highs I'd envisioned when I first read the online sample. I'm not sure I can point to why; it just felt a little "small scale," like I'd thought more would be at stake than there ended up being. Still, I enjoyed the poker/tarot world Powers created, and it ended well.

Some spoilerish comments:

Although Scott and Diana knew they were going to get together, I appreciated that Powers didn't dwell on this. Much fiction really likes to layer on the "he gave her a stare; she felt her pulse quicken" cheese when people are attracted to each other, but he stuck to the story.

Is Dondi Snayheever Last Call’s equivalent to Gollum?

St. Troy
06-08-2018, 06:27 AM
This morning I began Moby Dick, which I've never read (I'm almost 50; I probably should've gotten around to this by now).

I'm reading a special edition of this (full details at http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?21280-Moby-Dick&p=1085753&viewfull=1#post1085753); do check it out.

This is the first book for which I took the leap of faith of buying the special edition without having previously read it (something I won't even do with King). The thing is, I fell in love with this edition (through the online info) and decided to grab the chance to make my first read of MB a special experience by buying this edition. Also, given that MB (from the bits I've sampled online as well as reviews) is a dense 19th century classic, it has a pretty high floor; the worst case scenario would be that I come away with an admiration and appreciation for it without being in awe, and I can live with that.

My main concern is that I do my reading on the train, and this is a huge, pristine (for now) white book. Last night, on the train home, a young boy in a stroller brandished a soggy half-eaten Oreo at his fellow travelers, only a few feet away from me and my copy of Last Call. I was not worried; my copy of LC is a very used ex-library copy, with stains, tape marks and anything else you can think of - if he'd thrown the Oreo my way, I would've snapped it up in the book and returned it to his mother. But with MB, I'll have to be a bit more protective. Still, my train riding experience has shown damp foodstuffs in small hands to be the exception rather than the rule, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Kongo
06-08-2018, 06:49 AM
superb! I so wish I could read BH again for the first time. It's in my top 5 King books.

I didn't anticipate how different it would be compared to Talisman. So far I'm really enjoying it, and I definitely get vibes of Se7en and that Ps3 game Heavy Rain.

BigJoeHillfan
06-09-2018, 08:09 AM

Just finished the Outsider and I loved it!!!:excited: Great story, with gerat characters, and a great ending!! What more can you ask for!!!

Father Cody
06-09-2018, 09:33 AM
Man that took me forever to finish “The Hungry Moon.” Some scenes kicked some serious ass but I thought it was a little boring at times. Overall I enjoyed it but I was hoping for more...

What really bothered me about this story was the lack of a satisfying pay-off. Being blinded was not nearly enough for what those townspeople did. I thought Campbell could’ve at least described some of the associated agony that I assume comes with being blinded by the sun. But it was a matter of a few lines that simply informed us they were now blind. I don’t think I’ve ever been more annoyed or frustrated by a fictional character as I was with three of those vindictive fuckers.

Now it’s time for some pulp horror with Guy N. Smith to try to find some of that missing pay-off. Starting with “The Sucking Pit” and then on to either “The Slime Beast” or “The Crabs” series.

Father Cody
06-11-2018, 06:15 AM
“The Imago Sequence” by Laird Barron

peripheral
06-11-2018, 06:48 AM
“The Imago Sequence” by Laird Barron

Hell, yes! Nothing’s going to be the same again...

BigJoeHillfan
06-12-2018, 06:22 AM
Just started "The Listener" by Robert McCammon. On pg 100 not too exciting yet. Hoping it gets better....:unsure:

webstar1000
06-12-2018, 06:31 AM
Just started "The Listener" by Robert McCammon. On pg 100 not too exciting yet. Hoping it gets better....:unsure:

It doesnt.... A very bland book for me.

WeDealInLead
06-12-2018, 06:34 AM
I was on the fence about picking up The Listener because of the mixed reviews and i also thought the last two books were pretty bland. I'll read it but I'm getting it from the library.

BigJoeHillfan
06-12-2018, 06:48 AM

I will finish it out no matter what. Luckily it is not real long..

frik
06-12-2018, 06:58 AM

Loved it! One of the better McCammons imo.

sk

peripheral
06-14-2018, 03:41 AM
I just finished Matthew Bartlett's "Gateways to Abominations"... It's a quick read, disturbing little nightmarish vignettes that loosely hang together and stay with you after reading - reminded me of David Lynch imagery. Liked it a lot.

BigJoeHillfan
06-17-2018, 10:30 AM

I will finish it out no matter what. Luckily it is not real long..

I finished "The Listener" and it did get better around pg 200 of 320. It reminded me of a Mathew Corbet novel in that it had a lot of historical information about what it was like to live in that time period. I enjoyed it, but it was slow to develop.

WeDealInLead
06-17-2018, 10:36 AM
Started The Immaculate Void by Brian Hodge.

Heather19
06-19-2018, 05:15 PM
Started Goblin by Josh Malerman the other day. Only 2 stories in, but so far it's really good.

Also halfway through The Stand. I should wait until I finish to post my thoughts, but did anyone else find it a little slow going? I wonder if it's just that it's been so hyped up. It seems to be considered his best book, but right now I probably wouldn't even have it in my top 5. I started it once before and got about 500 pages in before I stopped. I'm not too much further than last time, but I don't really have a strong draw to read it. This happened before and I put it down and never picked it up again until now.

Father Cody
06-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Started Goblin by Josh Malerman the other day. Only 2 stories in, but so far it's really good.

Also halfway through The Stand. I should wait until I finish to post my thoughts, but did anyone else find it a little slow going? I wonder if it's just that it's been so hyped up. It seems to be considered his best book, but right now I probably wouldn't even have it in my top 5. I started it once before and got about 500 pages in before I stopped. I'm not too much further than last time, but I don't really have a strong draw to read it. This happened before and I put it down and never picked it up again until now.

I found it really slow as well but I couldn’t put it down for some reason. I think the character development is where King shines his brightest with this book. All I can say is this book is about the ride more than anything else. That’s how I felt anyway.

Kongo
06-19-2018, 05:46 PM

Definitely keep going! I felt the same about the slow moving plot, and to be honest, my expectations for the book were way different. I was thinking something along the lines of The Road, or Mad Max. While not my favorite, I still hold the book in high regard, and would easily recommend it. Hopefully at some point the book will find it's groove for you!

On a side note, I just finished Black House tonight. At first, I thought it was just alright, and actually liked The Talisman more. Now? I think it's pretty damn hard to chose, like apples to oranges. I really hope that rumored third book happens

biomieg
06-20-2018, 12:43 AM

Should I give it a try? I liked Bird Box a lot but for some reason I haven't felt the urge to pick up any of his other books.

Girlystevedave
06-20-2018, 05:52 AM

It was pretty slow for me too, Heather. And I also think it was just so over-hyped for me by the time I got around to reading it.

Girlystevedave
06-20-2018, 05:54 AM
I finished The Passage a few days ago and am now about a quarter of the way into The Twelve.
I am really really digging this book. I love how the timeline has jumped all the way back to the beginning of the story.

Father Cody
06-20-2018, 06:12 AM
I finished The Passage a few days ago and am now about a quarter of the way into The Twelve.
I am really really digging this book. I love how the timeline has jumped all the way back to the beginning of the story.

I really have to bump this up on my tbr list. I’m guessing then you like it a lot more that The Stand?

jsmcmullen92
06-20-2018, 06:28 AM

Should I give it a try? I liked Bird Box a lot but for some reason I haven't felt the urge to pick up any of his other books.

I have Birdbox on my to read list still but seeing his newest book "On This, the Day of the Pig". I just had to draw a line. Just reminds me of a book I picked up a long time ago called "Apocalypse Cow" and now animal zombie books are out for me.

Heather19
06-20-2018, 08:22 AM
Glad to hear I'm not alone on The Stand. Funny thing is it started out really good, but now seems to be dragging a bit. Wonder if I should have read the original cut version instead? And don't worry I plan to finish it this time. It's our book for bookclub this month and next month. I'm just hoping I can finish it in time because I think it's taken me about 2 months to get halfway though :lol: Normally long books don't take me that long if I'm fully invested in them. Finished It, The Terror, and 11/22/63 all within a week.

I'm really enjoying it so far. It's a collection of 6 novellas all taking place in this town called Goblin. I've seen it referred to as his version of Derry or Castlerock, which I can see. I'm three stories in, three more to go, but so far they've all been solid. My favorite so far is Kamp, what a great story. I've only read Bird Box by him as well, but I would put this up there near that one. I really like his writing style. Hoping to get to Unbury Carol soon, as I've heard great things about that one.

St. Troy
06-20-2018, 08:26 AM
Also halfway through The Stand...did anyone else find it a little slow going?

I don't consider it slow, but it is the kind of book where you feel like you live side by side with the characters for a long time, and for some readers, that's pretty much the same thing. I can't remember a part of the book where something or other wasn't unfolding, though, so for me, it's all pretty exciting.

Girlystevedave
06-20-2018, 09:47 AM

I really have to bump this up on my tbr list. I’m guessing then you like it a lot more that The Stand?

A lot more. :lol:

Girlystevedave
06-20-2018, 09:55 AM
. Wonder if I should have read the original cut version instead?

I wondered the same thing when I read it. Going in, I thought: "Well, of course I'm gonna read the expanded version so I get more story", but maybe the original was better. :orely:

St. Troy
06-20-2018, 10:06 AM
If you're the type of person that thinks The Stand is slow or drags, you're probably better off reading the original, shorter version.

On the other hand, if you're not digging it that much, and may only end up reading it once, but you're a FOMO type of person, you may still want to read the uncut version so that you never have to wonder what you missed.

Ben Mears
06-20-2018, 10:18 AM
. Wonder if I should have read the original cut version instead?

I wondered the same thing when I read it. Going in, I thought: "Well, of course I'm gonna read the expanded version so I get more story", but maybe the original was better. :orely:

I prefer the original but it was interesting to read the uncut version as well. I first read The Stand upon publication in 1978 so the hype factor wasn't there to set expectations. I enjoyed the story but wasn't thinking magmun opus. Same with IT. Both are good books but neither resonate with me today. There are a handful of SK books that still do and those are the ones that I like to revisit from time to time.

Father Cody
06-20-2018, 10:27 AM
I can’t imagine how the original could be better. One of the best parts was the Trashcan Man and The Kid storyline. For me at least.

Ricky
06-20-2018, 03:29 PM
Also halfway through The Stand. I should wait until I finish to post my thoughts, but did anyone else find it a little slow going? I wonder if it's just that it's been so hyped up.

It was pretty slow for me too, Heather. And I also think it was just so over-hyped for me by the time I got around to reading it.

I remember feeling the same when I read it and thinking, "When is this gonna get to the 'amazing' level that people keep talking about?" I don't think it ever did in terms of shocks or suspense or fast pacing (which is what I had imagined prior to reading), but the characters were incredibly real and captivating, which made up for it. It's definitely a book to read for the characters.

:thumbsup:

seeing his newest book "On This, the Day of the Pig". I just had to draw a line. Just reminds me of a book I picked up a long time ago called "Apocalypse Cow" and now animal zombie books are out for me.

:rofl:

And I saw that CD was doing a limited of his new one, but the plot synopsis does nothing for me. I hear from a lot of people who have read other things by him that Bird Box was his peak and everything else wasn't so great. Opinions? I've only read Bird Box (and enjoyed it).

Heather19
06-21-2018, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback on The Stand everyone. Seems like I was expecting something different from it. I'll post back in a month when I finish it.

St. Troy
06-21-2018, 09:10 AM
A follow up to this:

This morning I began Moby Dick...

I'm reading a special edition of this...

My main concern is that I do my reading on the train, and this is a huge, pristine (for now) white book. Last night, on the train home, a young boy in a stroller brandished a soggy half-eaten Oreo at his fellow travelers, only a few feet away from me and my copy of Last Call. I was not worried; my copy of LC is a very used ex-library copy, with stains, tape marks and anything else you can think of - if he'd thrown the Oreo my way, I would've snapped it up in the book and returned it to his mother. But with MB, I'll have to be a bit more protective. Still, my train riding experience has shown damp foodstuffs in small hands to be the exception rather than the rule, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I'm still reading my giant white Moby Dick, and last night, the mother sat down next to me and pulled the stroller in front of both of us. No Oreos this time, but at least two containers of cookies were employed, as well as one drink (and why is train time meal time?). So, I thought: do I stash the book? Maybe I'm worried about nothing - but by the time the cookie flies, it will be too late to take action. Well, my general tendency toward inertia held, I did nothing, and nothing happened. But still...my luck. If I see the kid again, I think I'll have to take the universe's hint and tuck the book away. Stay tuned...

Girlystevedave
06-21-2018, 09:42 AM
A follow up to this:

This morning I began Moby Dick...

I'm reading a special edition of this...

I'm still reading my giant white Moby Dick, and last night, the mother sat down next to me and pulled the stroller in front of both of us. No Oreos this time, but at least two containers of cookies were employed, as well as one drink (and why is train time meal time?). So, I thought: do I stash the book? Maybe I'm worried about nothing - but by the time the cookie flies, it will be too late to take action. Well, my general tendency toward inertia held, I did nothing, and nothing happened. But still...my luck. If I see the kid again, I think I'll have to take the universe's hint and tuck the book away. Stay tuned...

Your white Moby Dick /Train saga is great to read. :lol:

Ben Mears
06-23-2018, 10:00 AM
I can’t imagine how the original could be better. One of the best parts was the Trashcan Man and The Kid storyline. For me at least.

Sometimes less is more.

Father Cody
06-23-2018, 10:14 AM

Sometimes less is more.

Fair point. It’ll be a while before I read it again, but I’m definitely going to read the original next time.

Kongo
06-23-2018, 10:26 AM
What's the verdict on Full Dark, No Stars? I'm about to start that for the very first time, and have no idea what I'm getting into. I have a Stephen King book club at work, and for whatever reason everyone was adamant for this one

frik
06-24-2018, 10:39 AM
I really liked it, very much so. The book includes four short novellas, focusing on the darker side of human nature. Plenty of opportunity for some lively discussions!

sk

Heather19
06-25-2018, 06:09 AM
Agreed, it's a great collection and definitely a good pick for a bookclub.

Tommy
06-25-2018, 06:15 AM
Love FDNS. :thumbsup:

Brian861
06-25-2018, 06:24 AM
What's the verdict on Full Dark, No Stars? I'm about to start that for the very first time, and have no idea what I'm getting into. I have a Stephen King book club at work, and for whatever reason everyone was adamant for this one

I think you broke the first rule of Book Club.....

Kongo
06-25-2018, 06:43 AM

I think you broke the first rule of Book Club.....

:lol:

Thanks for the insight guys! So far, I've yet to read a book by King that I didn't enjoy, but I wasn't too keen to start FDNS. Almost done with 1922 now and I gotta say I'm enjoying it way more than I thought. Hopefully the other stories are just as good as 1922, and of course my first objective after finishing, is to check out the Netflix exclusive movie they did

Ben Staad
06-26-2018, 03:29 PM
Salt Water Tears by Brian A. Hopkins.

So far so good. I have read 3 of the stories so far and 66.6% of those have been very good.

Heather19
06-27-2018, 04:53 PM
Finished Goblin by Josh Malerman. Really enjoyed it. It was a fun refreshing break from the other book I'm reading.

Girlystevedave
06-29-2018, 08:11 AM
Finished Goblin by Josh Malerman. Really enjoyed it. It was a fun refreshing break from the other book I'm reading.

Is "other book" The Stand? :lol:

Heather19
06-29-2018, 08:49 AM

Yes :lol: We had our book club discussion on the first half last night, and everyone else agreed that it was a pretty slow start but that it should be picking up soon. Which hopefully it does because I really have no desire to keep reading it. I hate to say that because it's considered one of his great books :( I might see if I can get a hold of the audio version and finish it that way, because I have a pile of book that I'm dying to read and this one is just holding me back.

Brian861
06-29-2018, 10:04 AM
Ugh! You ladies are killin' me! The Stand is my favorite book of all time!

Ricky
06-29-2018, 01:23 PM

Yes :lol: We had our book club discussion on the first half last night, and everyone else agreed that it was a pretty slow start but that it should be picking up soon. Which hopefully it does because I really have no desire to keep reading it. I hate to say that because it's considered one of his great books :( I might see if I can get a hold of the audio version and finish it that way, because I have a pile of book that I'm dying to read and this one is just holding me back.

Have you read Sleeping Beauties? If you think The Stand is slow, do not put yourself through the torture of that doorstop. :lol:

Heather19
06-29-2018, 04:54 PM

Have you read Sleeping Beauties? If you think The Stand is slow, do not put yourself through the torture of that doorstop. :lol:

Luckily I listened to the audio book of Sleeping Beauties. I first attempted to read it, but knew quickly that wouldn't be wise :lol:

Roland of Gilead 33
07-01-2018, 12:19 AM
1stly the Stand yes is a slow start but it's my favorite King book. it takes awhile before they all find each other. i was on you tube recently and they said King had Retired and i looked it up online and i didn't see jack shit about anything recently that he said. only him saying that 5 years ago and that it said Doctor Sleep was going to be his last book. having said that i'm reading Pet Sematary and i posted in that section about it but i'm on Chapter #45 page 281 and i've only got #98 pages left in it.

a thought did it occur to me though is Ellie Psychic? or does she have the Shine Like Danny Torrence? if so why didn't she get put on Doctor Sleep? cause she knew what was going on and well dreamt it i mean. and more than once in the book too. i haven't started Sleeping Beauties yet. i looked up on how many books of King i have read and the number was smaller than i thought it would be it was only not counting Pet Sematary that i'm not done with that will when i'm done with it make it only #26. but if ya count the green mile single books that came out back in the day. it would make it #33. does anyone count that as a single book or 6 of them?

Kongo
07-01-2018, 01:11 AM
1stly the Stand yes is a slow start but it's my favorite King book. it takes awhile before they all find each other. i was on you tube recently and they said King had Retired and i looked it up online and i didn't see jack shit about anything recently that he said. only him saying that 5 years ago and that it said Doctor Sleep was going to be his last book. having said that i'm reading Pet Sematary and i posted in that section about it but i'm on Chapter #45 page 281 and i've only got #98 pages left in it.

a thought did it occur to me though is Ellie Psychic? or does she have the Shine Like Danny Torrence? if so why didn't she get put on Doctor Sleep? cause she knew what was going on and well dreamt it i mean. and more than once in the book too. i haven't started Sleeping Beauties yet. i looked up on how many books of King i have read and the number was smaller than i thought it would be it was only not counting Pet Sematary that i'm not done with that will when i'm done with it make it only #26. but if ya count the green mile single books that came out back in the day. it would make it #33. does anyone count that as a single book or 6 of them?

That's the impression I got with Ellie, that she's psychic, which I thought was a fun little twist. As for not running into Danny Torrance, I guess we could chalk that up to them just being on different levels of the tower.

Poor Sleeping Beauties. I know it's not a favorite on here, but it's by no means awful. I definitely have my gripes with the book, but overall I still enjoyed the story, and feel it's atleast worth a fair shake

Br!an
07-01-2018, 04:04 AM
I just finished A Head Full Of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay. I enjoyed it. It was an easy read with interesting twists.

I'm now reading This Book Is Full Of Spiders by David Wong. If you liked John Dies At The End then you'll like this.

Roland of Gilead 33
07-01-2018, 03:04 PM
you know what's really funny that i didn't expect? i've now got #80 pages left in this book, Chapter #49 page #294 i had to stop cause i'm gonna hope in the shower and i need a break for a bit from the book. i'm where Rachel just got her airplane ticket back to Maine. what's funny is that so far since the horror section is right now at a slow build up and it's coming faster and faster bit by bit. so far I actually prefer the movie over the book i dunno why yet. this so far has been one of those rare times where i actually prefer the movie. there are King movies that i prefer the movie over, Thinner is one cause i never liked the ending of Thinner but i love the ending of the film. great book too i've read it more than once, Carrie is another one where i thought that book is medicore and still do yet i love the (1976) film. Shawshank i thought the film was better though i do love the story. i loved the ending of the story but i loved the ending of the film more cause Red finds his way back to Andy. where in the story he's on his way there.

maybe the green mile too but than that's one i haven't read in years and though i have the film on dvd i will get it on blu-ray i haven't watched it since i bought it. not yet anyways. i think there may be others but i'm not sure yet. i need to look at his filmography again to make sure if i missed any. i'm going by films of the books or short story's i have read of course

Father Cody
07-01-2018, 07:10 PM
Starting “Slippage: Previously Uncollected, Precariously Poised Stories” by Harlan Ellison. Admittedly I’ve never read anything by him before, but with all the posts here and on Facebook about his death, I must be missing out on some great reading.

St. Troy
07-02-2018, 08:23 AM
Finished Moby Dick a few days ago. A very good book that is part character study, part adventure, and part (a big part) education on whales and whaling (which, no doubt, many of you already know). And again, loved the edition I had. (Also, cookie boy made no further appearances; the book returned to the shelf unharmed.)

St. Troy
07-02-2018, 08:24 AM
Today I began All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, which my daughter has been begging me to read. 25 pages in, so far, so good.

jsmcmullen92
07-02-2018, 11:00 AM
I started The Exorcist for the first time a few weeks ago. I am really struggling to like it. It's a fun read but there seems to be a lot of fluff that doesn't need to be there.
I almost wish it was a pulp horror of no character development, just good old fashion creep factor.

Father Cody
07-02-2018, 02:15 PM
I started The Exorcist for the first time a few weeks ago. I am really struggling to like it. It's a fun read but there seems to be a lot of fluff that doesn't need to be there.
I almost wish it was a pulp horror of no character development, just good old fashion creep factor.

Oh that’s a bummer. It’s coming up soon for me and I was looking forward to being scared senseless. Will you let me know if it’s as scary as people say?

Heather19
07-02-2018, 02:20 PM

I felt the same way when I finally got around to reading it. It's not something I'll ever read again, but I guess I'm glad I read it the one time.

Ricky
07-02-2018, 02:54 PM
I felt the same about The Exorcist. I hadn't seen the movie before I read the book, so that wasn't a factor. I guess it had just been so built up as the scariest movie/book of all time, that I was a little let down. Like Heather said, I enjoyed it and am glad I read it, but I doubt I'll read it again. I think I might have even liked Legion, the sequel, better.

Any opinions on The Outsider yet? I'm about 170 pages in and think it's a little slow going. Definitely better than Sleeping Beauties so far, but I do wish the writing was a little tighter. I'm wondering how he's going to sustain another 400 pages.

Side note: I almost wish the cover would've been different, too, because it all but tells you there's something supernatural going on (which takes some of the tension out of the "How could Terry be two places at once?" question). Of course, I could be totally off base here, but I'd bet money it's something supernatural.

BigJoeHillfan
07-02-2018, 05:41 PM
I loved The Outsider! I really enjoyed it.

WeDealInLead
07-04-2018, 05:32 AM
The Freeze-Frame Revolution by Peter Watts was great. It's his first book since Echopraxia, a book with which he said he "self-pwnt" himself (and I can't really disagree with that). The Revolution is much more concise and has an actual plot. I finished it on one sitting. Check it: https://www.amazon.com/Freeze-Frame-Revolution-Peter-Watts/dp/1616962526/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530711688&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=freeze-frame+revolution&dpPl=1&dpID=51WTlteYrrL&ref=plSrch

I was really looking forward to Paul Tremblay's The Cabin at the End of the World. It was a quick read but the book was very disappointing overall. What little there was of the plot was very disjointed, characters were boring and the so-called ending ... well, in my Amazon review I said maybe the final chapter got lost in the mail. Compared to this The Mist and especially Cell will feel satisfying. I believe Tremblay meant for the reader to come to their own conclusion, but really it felt like he gave up because he wrote himself into a corner. The end of this book could easily be part one in a 600-page apocalyptic tome. TL;DR version: this is really lame Cloverfield fanfic.

I'm going to pick up Laird Barron's and Michael Marshall Smith's new jams in hopes of forgetting The Cabin.

https://www.amazon.com/Anomaly-Michael-Rutger/dp/1538761858/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530711765&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=michael+rutger+the+anomaly&dpPl=1&dpID=51jd0NMqfpL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Standard-Isaiah-Coleridge-Novel/dp/0735212872/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530711798&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=laird+barron+blood+standard&dpPl=1&dpID=51ciJTwKiKL&ref=plSrch

Oh yeah, I'm also reading The Best of Richard Matheson a story each day. I have the Penguin Classics edition.

WeDealInLead
07-04-2018, 05:37 AM
Starting “Slippage: Previously Uncollected, Precariously Poised Stories” by Harlan Ellison. Admittedly I’ve never read anything by him before, but with all the posts here and on Facebook about his death, I must be missing out on some great reading.

Yes! This isn't his best collection but if anyone needs to be convinced of the man's way with words, Doing Hard Time will fuck you up in ten minutes flat.

I love his absolute disregard for his readers' feelings and sensibilities.

Father Cody
07-04-2018, 05:52 AM

Yes! This isn't his best collection but if anyone needs to be convinced of the man's way with words, Doing Hard Time will fuck you up in ten minutes flat.

I love his absolute disregard for his readers' feelings and sensibilities.

I read Mefisto in Onyx last night and I completely get what you’re saying. The last couple of pages were an emotional roller coaster of fuck no! and fuck yes!, ending with a huge hell yeah. Guess I’m reading Doing Hard Time next, haha.

peripheral
07-05-2018, 03:52 AM
The Freeze-Frame Revolution by Peter Watts was great. It's his first book since Echopraxia, a book with which he said he "self-pwnt" himself (and I can't really disagree with that). The Revolution is much more concise and has an actual plot. I finished it on one sitting. Check it: https://www.amazon.com/Freeze-Frame-Revolution-Peter-Watts/dp/1616962526/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530711688&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=freeze-frame+revolution&dpPl=1&dpID=51WTlteYrrL&ref=plSrch

I was really looking forward to Paul Tremblay's The Cabin at the End of the World. It was a quick read but the book was very disappointing overall. What little there was of the plot was very disjointed, characters were boring and the so-called ending ... well, in my Amazon review I said maybe the final chapter got lost in the mail. Compared to this The Mist and especially Cell will feel satisfying. I believe Tremblay meant for the reader to come to their own conclusion, but really it felt like he gave up because he wrote himself into a corner. The end of this book could easily be part one in a 600-page apocalyptic tome. TL;DR version: this is really lame Cloverfield fanfic.

I'm going to pick up Laird Barron's and Michael Marshall Smith's new jams in hopes of forgetting The Cabin.

https://www.amazon.com/Anomaly-Michael-Rutger/dp/1538761858/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530711765&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=michael+rutger+the+anomaly&dpPl=1&dpID=51jd0NMqfpL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Standard-Isaiah-Coleridge-Novel/dp/0735212872/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530711798&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=laird+barron+blood+standard&dpPl=1&dpID=51ciJTwKiKL&ref=plSrch

Oh yeah, I'm also reading The Best of Richard Matheson a story each day. I have the Penguin Classics edition.

Got to agree regarding Tremblay. Read "Head Full of Ghosts" and thought it was so blatantly derivative and without any depth of characterisation. He's one of the most over-hyped authors today - and I put the blame squarely at the feet of King.

Laird Barron, on the other hand. An amazing talent, although I'm a little anxious about his turn to crime noir (do we really need another school-of-hard-knocks, tough talking, tough as nails vigilante?) Let us know what you think of it...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-05-2018, 07:56 AM

I thought it was terrible. Far too long as usual with King's books. He needs an editor who does not suck up to him and leave everything in.

Kingfan24
07-06-2018, 08:17 AM

I thought it was terrible. Far too long as usual with King's books. He needs an editor who does not suck up to him and leave everything in.

Have to agree with you here. The investigation could have taken half the time. They should have devoted more time to the villain. You know, to actually develop the character.

Ricky
07-06-2018, 12:28 PM
Have to agree with you here. The investigation could have taken half the time.

This.

If we didn't know whether or not Terry did it, the investigation would've been more interesting. But since we pretty much know he didn't do it, all the clues and pieces of Ralph & Co. investigating weren't as engaging.

However, I'm really liking Holly's involvement. Makes me wish she was the sole investigator from the beginning.

Tommy
07-06-2018, 07:56 PM
Christine by Stephen King (for the first time). :dance:

Girlystevedave
07-07-2018, 04:50 AM

Ooh! Fun! I really enjoyed Christine a lot when I finally got around to reading it. :thumbsup:

Brian861
07-07-2018, 02:16 PM

Awesome, Tommy! One of my favorites that I've read several times. Very rare that I read a book twice or more.

jsmcmullen92
07-19-2018, 08:21 AM

Oh that’s a bummer. It’s coming up soon for me and I was looking forward to being scared senseless. Will you let me know if it’s as scary as people say?

I felt the same way when I finally got around to reading it. It's not something I'll ever read again, but I guess I'm glad I read it the one time.

I ended up giving up. It just couldn't hold my attention. I find that happens with books that are slow build ups or over talked about.

I moved on to Wayward Pines and I am loving it so far

biomieg
07-19-2018, 09:47 AM
Wayward Pines is AWESOME!

Ricky
07-19-2018, 10:22 AM
Seconded!

webstar1000
07-19-2018, 10:32 AM

It really is. He writes damm well. I wanted Paul to do a Suntup set of the Pines series!!

BigJoeHillfan
07-19-2018, 11:17 AM

+1 loved the trilogy

biomieg
07-19-2018, 11:22 AM
I need to reread ASAP!

fernandito
07-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Damn, I need to go back and finish books 2 & 3. WP1 was great.

Br!an
07-19-2018, 02:52 PM
Wayward Pines trilogy was really good. Thanks again, Heather & Amanda for recommending it.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/wayward.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/wayward2.jpg

Father Cody
07-19-2018, 02:57 PM
Wow this Wayward Pines is getting great reviews on Goodreads. It sounds really good too. Thanks for posting about it!

Heather19
07-19-2018, 03:41 PM
:thumbsup: Wayward Pines is awesome. One of my favorite set of books.

Feev, what are you waiting for?!?!

webstar1000
07-19-2018, 03:47 PM
Wow this Wayward Pines is getting great reviews on Goodreads. It sounds really good too. Thanks for posting about it!

Adam.... heather told me about it. GET your hands on the series. It was my fav read of that year (2015 I think)!!!

webstar1000
07-19-2018, 04:13 PM
Has anyone read and liked In Cold Blood?

Merlin1958
07-19-2018, 04:50 PM

of course, it's a "Classic" and on most HD must reading lists in my ecollection. At least when I was in HS back in the day ('70's).

Brian861
07-19-2018, 04:59 PM

Some how this event seems vaguely familiar :orely:

I might have to check out WP. I checked out on the TV show.

Merlin1958
07-19-2018, 05:08 PM

You're kidding right? Truman Capote? The Novel? man, the younger generation!! LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Cold_Blood

You're just fucking with me, right? lol lol

Brian861
07-19-2018, 05:15 PM

You're kidding right? Truman Capote? The Novel? man, the younger generation!! LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Cold_Blood

You're just fucking with me, right? lol lol

Whatever do you mean ;)

BigJoeHillfan
07-21-2018, 07:59 PM

Has anyone read any other works by Blake Crouch? I have Dark Matter but haven't started it yet.

biomieg
07-21-2018, 11:29 PM
I read Dark Matter and liked it a lot as well. Have not yet read any of his other books.

Father Cody
07-22-2018, 12:15 AM
Finally finished The Terror. Might have been the slowest book I’ve ever read. But, it all pays off doesn’t it? What a ride.

I kept seeing reviews saying there’s nothing supernatural about this book. Complete and utter bullshit, right? The thing on the ice was a spirit that took the shape of a white bear and sucked souls out of real people. How is that not supernatural? Unless these people are saying that it was all a bunch of Eskimo mumbo jumbo and it was really just an unnaturally gigantic polar bear that the Esquimaux falsely believed was a spirit? What about the premonitions? Or how the bear didn’t eat Hickey? Or how the bear chewed off Crozier’s tongue? It’s based on true events but it was still fiction. I’m in Camp Supernatural on this. Curious if anyone here disagrees.

peripheral
07-22-2018, 12:32 AM
Phew, so glad you liked it man, after my ravings. I personally found the first third slow, and then it sucked me in and I chewed through it quickly. Maybe I was ready for something like this (and it was my first Simmons). And yes, absolutely supernatural - I saw the entity as a Lovecraftian nameless Old One.

Father Cody
07-22-2018, 12:46 AM
Interesting comparison to an Old One. I took it as strictly Eskimo lore that turns out to be all true. I couldn’t believe how much the last few chapters changed and how much I appreciated what Simmons did there. That was a delicate thing he did. Could have easily ruined the whole book but it did the exact opposite.

I don’t know if any of that made sense. :lol:

Father Cody
07-22-2018, 12:57 AM
Oh and I relate to chewing through it once it hooked. Man the first 2/3 for me I was checking the page number all the time and taking forever to get through even 20 pages at some points. Then boom! I would check which page I was on when I put it down for the night and would be shocked by how much I had just read. As far as I’m concerned, the slow beginning, it was all worth it.

peripheral
07-22-2018, 01:53 AM
Interesting comparison to an Old One. I took it as strictly Eskimo lore that turns out to be all true. I couldn’t believe how much the last few chapters changed and how much I appreciated what Simmons did there. That was a delicate thing he did. Could have easily ruined the whole book but it did the exact opposite.

Yeah, I know what you mean re the ending. Masterful. And also, I think the Old Ones and Eskimo lore (which is definitely the link Simmons wants you to make) could possibly be the same thing. The nameless thing in the ice, indifferent and before time, etc

Father Cody
07-22-2018, 02:14 AM
I think the Old Ones and Eskimo lore (which is definitely the link Simmons wants you to make) could possibly be the same thing. The nameless thing in the ice, indifferent and before time, etc

I see. I probably just need to read more Lovecraft to fully get what you mean. You’re saying the Eskimo developed their religion around their experiences with an Old One. They’ve named it Tuunbaq but they don’t really know what it is. So do you think Sedna and the Moon and Air spirits (can’t remember their names) are also possibly Old Ones?

peripheral
07-22-2018, 02:46 AM
You’re testing my memory of the book a bit here here, but I guess my idea is akin to religions: Hindu, Muslim, Christians have different beamed for their God/Gods but it’s all the same - in the end.

Lookwhoitis
07-22-2018, 03:23 AM

I LOVED the stuff at the end...

Father Cody
07-22-2018, 03:28 AM
You’re testing my memory of the book a bit here here, but I guess my idea is akin to religions: Hindu, Muslim, Christians have different beamed for their God/Gods but it’s all the same - in the end.

My bad. I sometimes forget people didn’t just read the book like I did. I get what you’re saying now, that makes perfect sense. My lack of Lovecraft experience I think is why I needed to be spoon fed that explanation.

St. Troy
07-23-2018, 08:37 AM
I just finished All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. I finally saw why my wife and daughter were anxious for me to read this.

ATLWCS falls into a niche of historical fiction that has been done before (not that there isn’t room for more good writing in that corner): sympathetic characters in German occupied Europe during WWII. The usual trappings are here: humanity and innocence amidst brutality and apathy, the juxtaposition of violence with kindness, the senselessness of German aggression etc. But, as with all truly good writing, the backdrop, however essential, is not the story, and this story is remarkable both for how it unfolds as well as for the writing that conveys it.

A problem I have when reading historical fiction is the nagging sense that, since I’m aware of the war’s general outcome, I know where the story is going, but surprises (both good and bad) were to be found in ATLWCS. I will say that, if you read the description on Amazon, certain things are overstated, and you may well be expecting a different tale from what is here.

What is here:
- Smooth, at times dream-like, writing that doesn’t simply support the idea that good can live amidst the evil, but that it is the quality that is essentially us (effective writing can sometimes be like a hammer (functional and direct), but other times, like a violin (smooth, beautiful, evocative); that of ATLWCS is definitely the latter).
- Characters ordinary enough to allow us to identify with them, on journeys with a gradual enough accretion of emotional and psychological impact to allow a rich payoff without the necessity of an overkill-laden finale. It is all subtle, it is all ordinary, and in the end, it is anything but.

I would be lying if I said this was up there with It and Shadowland (read it! you fools!) as one of my personal favorite books – I don’t read books to feel sad, or really to feel anything too deeply, but I would be lying if I didn’t pass along the fact that this was a damn good book. If this book seems at all like something you might be willing to try, do so.

St. Troy
07-23-2018, 08:44 AM
I just started One Second After by William Forstchen.

It's still early (p 57), but I've read enough to know two things: I'm enjoying it, and Forstchen's style is more hammer than violin (fine by me, given my interest in the subject matter).

One Second After is about the aftermath of an EMP attack on the US (the book is said to be based on an actual Congressional study that looked into this threat) and is the first book of a trilogy; hopefully it will go well enough for me to read the other two.

Heather19
07-23-2018, 08:51 AM

Has anyone read any other works by Blake Crouch? I have Dark Matter but haven't started it yet.

I've read most of his books. The only ones I haven't are the serial killer ones. I read the first one, but it's just not my cup of tea so never read the others. I'd definitely recommend checking out his other books.

My personal rankings would be:
Wayward Pines series
Run
Dark Matter
Fully Loaded (collection of short stories)
Abandon
Draculas (written with three other authors)
Snowbound

and these last few I wasn't overly thrilled with:
Desert Places (first of the serial killer books)
Eerie (written with his brother)
Famous

Finally finished The Terror. Might have been the slowest book I’ve ever read. But, it all pays off doesn’t it? What a ride.

I kept seeing reviews saying there’s nothing supernatural about this book. Complete and utter bullshit, right? The thing on the ice was a spirit that took the shape of a white bear and sucked souls out of real people. How is that not supernatural? Unless these people are saying that it was all a bunch of Eskimo mumbo jumbo and it was really just an unnaturally gigantic polar bear that the Esquimaux falsely believed was a spirit? What about the premonitions? Or how the bear didn’t eat Hickey? Or how the bear chewed off Crozier’s tongue? It’s based on true events but it was still fiction. I’m in Camp Supernatural on this. Curious if anyone here disagrees.

There's definitely a supernatural aspect to the book. Suprised that some people say there isn't. What I liked about it though, was that aspect of the story took a backseat to the main storyline. I didn't find it to be slow one bit. But I am fascinated by the arctic so I loved all that stuff. So glad you enjoyed the book :)

Heather19
07-23-2018, 09:02 AM
So I finally finished The Stand :rock:

I'd give it a 4/5. I'm glad I read it, and can appreciate it, but I doubt I'll ever read it again. It started off really good with the flu being unleashed, but then it drastically slowed down and I struggled with it for hundreds of pages. It did finally start to pick back up again once things started coming together though. I kind of wish I had read the original version, I think I might have liked it a bit more because there did seem to be a lot of unnecessary stuff that slowed down the story for me.

My biggest complaints were in Book III. There was all this buildup about Harold and Nadine going to the darkside, but once they leave, Harold is killed instantly, and Nadine is killed right after Flagg impregnates her. I wish there was a bit more story concerning those two. Also once things started happening it seemed to move super fast. I kind of wish he had omitted the slow unnecessary portions early on and added a more details at the end. I also have a question as to why Mother Abigail was bringing everyone to Boulder? Why closer to Flagg? Was it just that it would be easier to rebuild there versus where she was living?

St. Troy
07-23-2018, 09:11 AM
Those who've studied it more and/or recall it more clearly can do better than I but here goes:

So I finally finished The Stand...

My biggest complaints were in Book III. There was all this buildup about Harold and Nadine going to the darkside, but once they leave, Harold is killed instantly, and Nadine is killed right after Flagg impregnates her. I wish there was a bit more story concerning those two.

I believe the point there was that Harold and Nadine were just tools, cast aside once Flagg had used them as he'd intended. Because Harold had failed in his attempt to kill the main group, Flagg was none too pleased with him, and that usually only means one thing...

I also have a question as to why Mother Abigail was bringing everyone to Boulder? Why closer to Flagg? Was it just that it would be easier to rebuild there versus where she was living?

I guess you could say she wasn't bringing everyone to Boulder; whatever was leading her was also leading everyone else to Boulder, which was in good shape, as post-apocalyptic American cities went. I suppose proximity to Flagg was necessary, given the intended battle.

Heather19
07-23-2018, 09:16 AM
That makes sense. I can understand the Harold thing, even though his quick death wasn't as spectacular as I would have liked :lol: But Nadine's death came out of nowhere for me. Maybe it's just that I personally wanted to see them working with Flagg at least for a little bit since I felt that it was building up to that from earlier on in the book.

St. Troy
07-23-2018, 09:19 AM
...Nadine's death came out of nowhere for me. Maybe it's just that I personally wanted to see them working with Flagg at least for a little bit since I felt that it was building up to that from earlier on in the book.

I think that is because that's getting to the point of the story where things are starting to turn bad for Flagg (just why his plans had to all rot like fruit is a discussion for another day...), and Nadine foiling his attempt to father a child was a big part of that.

I think Flagg literally only wanted one thing from each of them (Harold and Nadine).

BigJoeHillfan
07-23-2018, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=biomieg;1116042]Wayward Pines is AWESOME!

I've read most of his books. The only ones I haven't are the serial killer ones. I read the first one, but it's just not my cup of tea so never read the others. I'd definitely recommend checking out his other books.

My personal rankings would be:
Wayward Pines series
Run
Dark Matter
Fully Loaded (collection of short stories)
Abandon
Draculas (written with three other authors)
Snowbound

and these last few I wasn't overly thrilled with:
Desert Places (first of the serial killer books)
Eerie (written with his brother)
Famous

Thanks for the ratings. I plan on reading Dark Matter next as I picked it up cheap at HPB.

Br!an
07-23-2018, 04:49 PM
As I've said, I'm all in on Wayward Pines.

I bought Run but haven't read it. I also have Dark Matter and haven't read it.

I think I'll give Run a go.

(I still have some recent King to catch up on too.)

Father Cody
07-23-2018, 05:12 PM
...Nadine's death came out of nowhere for me. Maybe it's just that I personally wanted to see them working with Flagg at least for a little bit since I felt that it was building up to that from earlier on in the book.

I think that is because that's getting to the point of the story where things are starting to turn bad for Flagg (just why his plans had to all rot like fruit is a discussion for another day...), and Nadine foiling his attempt to father a child was a big part of that.

I think Flagg literally only wanted one thing from each of them (Harold and Nadine).

That’s how I understood it.

Flagg threw her off the roof immediately after she told him she ruined his chance of impregnating her. If I’m remembering correctly, that is. I can’t remember how she ruined his chances though.

Jerrika
07-23-2018, 07:14 PM
I'm reading The Iliad and The Odyssey.

Heather19
07-24-2018, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the ratings. I plan on reading Dark Matter next as I picked it up cheap at HPB.

You won't be disappointed, it's a great book!

webstar1000
07-24-2018, 07:40 AM

You won't be disappointed, it's a great book!

AMAZING BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Father Cody
07-24-2018, 07:43 AM

There's definitely a supernatural aspect to the book. Suprised that some people say there isn't. What I liked about it though, was that aspect of the story took a backseat to the main storyline. I didn't find it to be slow one bit. But I am fascinated by the arctic so I loved all that stuff. So glad you enjoyed the book :)

I really did. I was thinking it’s the first time I’ve considered immediately re-reading a book. I think now, after I’ve come to appreciate it it for the masterpiece it really is, the first 2/3 (or however much it was) I found slow will now be literary gold to me. But I have the show to watch now so perhaps I’ll save the re-read for another time.

Tommy
07-24-2018, 10:31 AM

One of the greatest books I've read. A permanent top ten fixture for me.

Heather19
07-24-2018, 02:12 PM

I really did. I was thinking it’s the first time I’ve considered immediately re-reading a book. I think now, after I’ve come to appreciate it it for the masterpiece it really is, the first 2/3 (or however much it was) I found slow will now be literary gold to me. But I have the show to watch now so perhaps I’ll save the re-read for another time.

Just to forwarn you, the show is very different from the book.

Father Cody
07-24-2018, 07:54 PM

Did you like it?

Ben Staad
07-25-2018, 04:43 AM
Just started Kill Creek. I was tired and only managed a few pages. I did like that he quoted Lovecraft at the beginning of the book. :emot-cthulhu:

Heather19
07-25-2018, 07:27 AM

Did you like it?

It started off with potential but then went downward for me. But I also typically hate when they stray from the source material. If I didn't love the book so much then maybe I might have enjoyed it more. It's hard to say.

jsmcmullen92
07-26-2018, 09:39 AM
For anyone who read Wayward Pines how did the show hold up? I just finished book one and then watches the first episode and I feel like the finished 2/3 of the first book in one episode. How is there 2 seasons...

Br!an
07-26-2018, 11:07 AM
For anyone who read Wayward Pines how did the show hold up? I just finished book one and then watches the first episode and I feel like the finished 2/3 of the first book in one episode. How is there 2 seasons...

They stray from the books.

The books are better IMHO.

webstar1000
07-26-2018, 11:11 AM

Far better.

BigJoeHillfan
07-26-2018, 11:20 AM

Far better.

+1

webstar1000
07-26-2018, 11:22 AM
I want Paul to do a limited for Suntup of them. It was one of my pics on his form he had everyone fill out.

Heather19
07-26-2018, 12:40 PM

The show sucked. I didn't even watch season 2.

Brian861
07-26-2018, 01:03 PM

The show sucked. I didn't even watch season 2.

Haven't read the book but agree about the show. Was interesting at first, then it just got dumb.

Heather19
07-26-2018, 06:21 PM
Don't let the show deter you from reading the books. They're very different and a million times better than the show.

jsmcmullen92
07-27-2018, 05:24 AM
Don't let the show deter you from reading the books. They're very different and a million times better than the show.

Picking up number 2 today. Was not expecting tat ending to #1 one. I feel like this just shifted genres from Horror to Sci-fi

St. Troy
07-27-2018, 05:29 AM

Good to hear. I liked season one, but season two, well...it's not that it was awful (like the recent The Mist adaptation (which I watched through to the bitter, pitiful end), or Under The Dome "miniseries" (which I gave up on about :15 into season 2)), it just kept seeming like some significant development was right around the corner, but never quite arrived (yes, they ended with a bit of a tantalizing information, but...not enough). They added Djimon Hounsou for season 2, and while he did a good job, he was basically wasted amidst the dull nothing of that season. If it came back for season 3 (which supposedly hasn't been ruled out), I admit, I would watch.

...having said all that, I am curious about the books and will eventually try them.

Ricky
07-27-2018, 01:14 PM
I liked the Wayward Pines TV series, but Heather's right, it wasn't as good as the books (obviously). They kind of blaze through all three books in the first season, then, in Season 2, add a bunch of new characters and a subplot of the younger generation trying to overthrow the town, which kind of didn't work for me (AND killing off all the cool original characters in glorified cameos).

But, since you brought it up, it's definitely leagues better than Under the Dome and The Mist (which was probably one of the worst adaptations/TV shows I've seen).

Brian861
07-27-2018, 02:47 PM
I liked the Wayward Pines TV series, but Heather's right, it wasn't as good as the books (obviously). They kind of blaze through all three books in the first season, then, in Season 2, add a bunch of new characters and a subplot of the younger generation trying to overthrow the town, which kind of didn't work for me (AND killing off all the cool original characters in glorified cameos).

But, since you brought it up, it's definitely leagues better than Under the Dome and The Mist (which was probably one of the worst adaptations/TV shows I've seen).

Under the Dome was ok I thought for the better part of the first season and I suffered through The Mist for six episodes and bailed.

Ben Staad
07-27-2018, 03:24 PM
Ughh. I didn't like UTD (book or show) so can't provide a fair opinion but they beat The Mist to death as a show. It was awful, putrid, and simply disappointing.

Under the Dome was ok I thought for the better part of the first season and I suffered through The Mist for six episodes and bailed.

Brian861
07-27-2018, 03:33 PM
Ughh. I didn't like UTD (book or show) so can't provide a fair opinion but they beat The Mist to death as a show. It was awful, putrid, and simply disappointing.

I enjoyed reading UTD but completely agree about The Mist program.

Heather19
07-30-2018, 05:15 AM
I also hated Under the Dome tv series, but loved the book. I don't even think I watched the second season. I tried to watch The Mist, but not even sure I made it through the first episode.

Ricky
07-30-2018, 09:58 AM
You didn't miss out on The Mist.

Just finished Sharp Objects (and loved it, probably more than Gone Girl), and moving onto The President Is Missing soon.

Heather19
07-31-2018, 04:50 AM
Just started Gone Girl the other day. A bunch of friends were raving about Gillian Flynn so figured it was time to finally check out some of the books.

Ricky
07-31-2018, 10:06 AM
It's good and twisted, but the hype definitely had my expectations way high.

BigJoeHillfan
07-31-2018, 10:51 AM
It's good and twisted, but the hype definitely had my expectations way high.

Is the book different from the movie, or do they follow pretty closely?

Ricky
07-31-2018, 12:21 PM
There's some changes and trims (and not everything happens exactly like in the book), but it's one of the best adaptations I've ever seen in terms of following the source material, acting, atmosphere, and suspense. I read the book before the movie came out and was still hooked by the movie even though I knew what was going to happen.

Father Cody
07-31-2018, 01:48 PM
Manitou Doll by Guy N. Smith. Also started Books of Blood Vol. 1.

jsmcmullen92
07-31-2018, 05:53 PM
Just started Wayward. Hoping this one is as good as Pines

Lookwhoitis
08-01-2018, 05:12 AM
The Wise Man's Fear.

Rothfuss is amazing

BigJoeHillfan
08-01-2018, 05:52 AM
Just started Wayward. Hoping this one is as good as Pines

It just keeps getting better IMO.:)

St. Troy
08-01-2018, 09:07 AM
The Wise Man's Fear.

Rothfuss is amazing

My copy should be delivered this week and I will start next week...I can't wait (a shame he seems to be dragging his ass on book 3).

St. Troy
08-06-2018, 07:18 AM
I recently finished One Second After by William Forstchen. As previously mentioned, it is about the aftermath of an EMP attack on the US.

The writing is not great, but is good enough, given that I'm reading more for the topic than for a great story (this is definitely not for readers who aren't already interested in EMP attacks and their aftermath). The story and characters are fine, good enough to serve the purpose of the information the author wants to convey (to be fair, passages with key deaths were suitably moving; I don't want to damn Forstchen's writing skills as bad as it may appear). It is the first book of a trilogy and was good enough that I will continue with it.

St. Troy
08-06-2018, 07:21 AM
Today I started Patrick Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear (the second book of his Kingkiller Chronicle).

I loved The Name Of The Wind (KC book #1) and expect this to be just as good (I'm only 19 pages in; so far, so good).

This guy can write.

DoctorZaius
08-06-2018, 07:32 AM
I finally got around to reading/finishing The Outsider. I loved it. Yes, it felt like two separate narratives, but it really worked for me. The subject matter of the first half was pretty dark for a father with children. I really enjoyed reconnecting with Holly - she is one of King's more interesting creations, even more so with Justine Lupe's fine portrayal in the Mr. Mercedes series.

Now I am on to the most recent Lee Child, The Midnight Line. The Jack Reacher series is one of my favorites (not a fan of the Tom Cruise movies). Stephen King recommended Child years ago in an issue of Entertainment Weekly, and on his recommendation I picked up Killing Floor, the first Jack Reacher novel. I loved it and have been hooked since. 30 pages in and it's like hanging out with an old friend.

webstar1000
08-06-2018, 07:43 AM
Today I started Patrick Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear (the second book of his Kingkiller Chronicle).

I loved The Name Of The Wind (KC book #1) and expect this to be just as good (I'm only 19 pages in; so far, so good).

This guy can write.

I am gonna pick this series up. I have heard nothing but wonderful things.

fernandito
08-06-2018, 09:48 AM
Is Kingkiller a trilogy?

St. Troy
08-06-2018, 09:55 AM
Is Kingkiller a trilogy?

Yes, but an as-yet unfinished one. The in-progress third book is tentatively titled The Doors Of Stone.

Ben Mears
08-06-2018, 11:29 AM
I recently finished One Second After by William Forstchen. As previously mentioned, it is about the aftermath of an EMP attack on the US.

The writing is not great, but is good enough, given that I'm reading more for the topic than for a great story (this is definitely not for readers who aren't already interested in EMP attacks and their aftermath). The story and characters are fine, good enough to serve the purpose of the information the author wants to convey (to be fair, passages with key deaths were suitably moving; I don't want to damn Forstchen's writing skills as bad as it may appear). It is the first book of a trilogy and was good enough that I will continue with it.

I felt the same about Forstchen's writing style but the subject and storyline was compelling enough to slog through the series.

Aronstg
08-06-2018, 09:16 PM
Is Kingkiller a trilogy?

Yes, but an as-yet unfinished one. The in-progress third book is tentatively titled The Doors Of Stone.

I really feel like Name of the Wind is probably the best Fantasy novel written since Lord of the Rings.. and they are not the same type of fantasy novel. I think you will enjoy WMF. As to the wait for book three.. I generally hold the same stance that I do with GRRM and the Song of Ice and Fire... if/when book 3 comes out doesn't matter that much to me. It doesn't take away the feeling I first had when reading Name of the Wind. I'd love a conclusion but it doesn't lesson my reading experience at all.

Aronstg
08-06-2018, 09:20 PM
I just finished Circe by Madeline Miller. I strongly recommend it to anyone but especially if you are at all interested in Greek Mythology. Even if you only have a passing interest/knowledge of Greek mythology there are enough tidbits to really get your interested. I really didn't think I would enjoy this book as much as I did.

DoctorZaius
08-07-2018, 04:17 AM
I just finished Circe by Madeline Miller. I strongly recommend it to anyone but especially if you are at all interested in Greek Mythology. Even if you only have a passing interest/knowledge of Greek mythology there are enough tidbits to really get your interested. I really didn't think I would enjoy this book as much as I did.

A group of high school juniors I teach read this for book club last spring and really enjoyed it, as did I.

BigJoeHillfan
08-07-2018, 05:31 AM
Started Dark Matter by Blake Crouch and I really like it so far. Pretty non-stop chaos. somewhat predictable so far.

BigJoeHillfan
08-08-2018, 05:19 AM
Started Dark Matter by Blake Crouch and I really like it so far. Pretty non-stop chaos. somewhat predictable so far.

Now I am 2/3 of the way through. Hard to stop reading. Will probably finish tonight after work. Excellent!!:clap:

webstar1000
08-08-2018, 05:31 AM

Now I am 2/3 of the way through. Hard to stop reading. Will probably finish tonight after work. Excellent!!:clap:

yeah he is a GREAT story teller:)

Heather19
08-08-2018, 07:30 AM
What I love too about him, is he's a very fast paced storyteller. Normally it takes me forever to read a book, but his you can just fly though. So glad you're enjoying it.

Father Cody
08-08-2018, 09:55 PM
Just started “The Descent” by Jeff Long and so far it’s really good!

Sai Sheb
08-09-2018, 12:14 AM
Karma sutra. Im stuck on page one, I'll have too stretch more for page two!

Father Cody
08-09-2018, 02:20 AM
Karma sutra. Im stuck on page one, I'll have too stretch more for page two!

I’m pulling for you.

webstar1000
08-09-2018, 02:29 AM
A Simple Plan by Scott Smith... what a good read! I can’t put it down!

MikeDuke
08-09-2018, 05:13 AM

Didn't read the book but I saw the movie, it was really good.

BigJoeHillfan
08-09-2018, 05:16 AM
What I love too about him, is he's a very fast paced storyteller. Normally it takes me forever to read a book, but his you can just fly though. So glad you're enjoying it.

Finished Dark Matter last night!! Great book!! Great story, fast paced and good ending. Now onto Run by Crouch.:excited:

Heather19
08-09-2018, 05:21 AM

Finished Dark Matter last night!! Great book!! Great story, fast paced and good ending. Now onto Run by Crouch.:excited:

webstar1000
08-09-2018, 06:23 AM

Is RUN good?

Sai Sheb
08-09-2018, 06:30 AM
Fr cody...
That sounds SO wrong...

Father Cody
08-09-2018, 06:48 AM
Fr cody...
That sounds SO wrong...

Ha! But it feels SO right.

Too far? I’ll see myself out...

Heather19
08-09-2018, 09:55 AM

Is RUN good?

Yes, it's my second favorite after the Wayward Pines series.

Heather19
08-09-2018, 09:57 AM
Has anyone read Dark Places by Gillian Flynn? I'm almost halfway through it. Not enjoying it as much as Gone Girl though.

jsmcmullen92
08-09-2018, 11:45 AM
Has anyone read Dark Places by Gillian Flynn? I'm almost halfway through it. Not enjoying it as much as Gone Girl though.My wife felt the same but she loved Sharp Objects more than GG

Heather19
08-09-2018, 03:42 PM
That's the next one on my list. I have the show waiting on my dvr, might watch it before I'm able to get to the book.

Ricky
08-09-2018, 05:04 PM
Is RUN good?

Personally, I didn't like it and found it very hard to get through. Nowhere near as good as Wayward Pines, for me. Out of the 5 books of his I've read (Pines, Wayward, The Last Town, Run, and Dark Matter), Run is the only one I haven't liked.

Has anyone read Dark Places by Gillian Flynn? I'm almost halfway through it. Not enjoying it as much as Gone Girl though.

You know, I kept hearing the same thing from online reviews/comparisons. Seems like DP is the least "popular" of her three books.

My wife felt the same but she loved Sharp Objects more than GG

I just read Sharp Objects a couple weeks ago and absolutely loved it (way more than I thought I would). I also liked it a lot more than Gone Girl, too. Can't wait to finally start the TV show.

ladysai
08-11-2018, 11:57 AM
Many thanks to those of you who have recommended Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles.
I'm enjoying it immensely. :)

Hunchback Jack
08-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Fr cody...
That sounds SO wrong...

Ha! But it feels SO right.

Too far? I’ll see myself out...

I laughed. It was a solid joke.

Girlystevedave
08-15-2018, 11:01 AM

Dark Matter was a great one. Other than it and the Wayward Pines series, I've not read any other Blake Crouch books, but man! He can really hook you with his stories.

Ricky
08-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Agreed on Dark Matter! I loved that one.

Currently reading The President Is Missing, and it is much better than it has any right to be. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it this much. Perfect summer thriller/page-turner and I'm finding the character of the president to be pretty damn good.

WeDealInLead
08-16-2018, 04:13 PM
I'm reading The Jack Vance Treasury by Jack Vance, duh.

I've ordered signed copies of new books by Tim Powers and Cixin Liu. Powers is constantly steady (in quality if not in quantity), and Liu is IMO the most exciting SF writer in at least ten years.

BigJoeHillfan
08-17-2018, 05:37 AM
Just finished Run by Blake Crouch last night. Very intense with a lot of brutality in it. It was good, but I liked Dark Matter better. Now on to Fully Loaded. I always seem to read authors in threes for some reason. By the time I finish the third I am usually ready to move on to another author.

Heather19
08-17-2018, 07:34 AM
Loved Fully Loaded. There's some great stories in there. And I'm glad you enjoyed Run :)

webstar1000
08-17-2018, 07:47 AM

HAS ANYONE read the Ruins? Can they tell me if it is worth it or not?

Ricky
08-17-2018, 08:43 AM
I read it a long time ago and was super disappointed in the resolution. It's one of those "you gotta be kidding me" endings. I'd say skip it.

biomieg
08-17-2018, 09:59 AM
I’m about to start a Wayward Pines re-read right now, any suggestions for what I should read after I finish?

Hunchback Jack
08-20-2018, 11:52 PM
Finished The Three-Body Problem and am now diving into The Dark Forest (on audio). Quite a different kind of book from the first, but I think I like it even better.

WeDealInLead
08-27-2018, 08:43 AM
Cixin Liu - Ball Lightning

Heather19
08-27-2018, 04:56 PM
Just finished You by Caroline Kepnes. Great book, and the main character is sooo creepy. Really enjoyed it.

Ricky
08-27-2018, 05:36 PM
Have you read Providence? I've heard it mentioned a lot of places on people's summer reading lists but am not sure if I'd like it.

Heather19
08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Not yet, but I have it on hold from the library.

Father Cody
08-28-2018, 02:34 AM
Just finished The Descent by Jeff Long. It’s without a doubt in my top ten favorites. Highly recommend it!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180828/8eea70879d561e80b2dd090ee318579a.jpg

webstar1000
08-28-2018, 03:26 AM
Whoever told me to read Bird Box... THANKS!! I cannot wait to get home to finish it!

St. Troy
08-28-2018, 11:17 AM
Just finished The Descent by Jeff Long. It’s without a doubt in my top ten favorites. Highly recommend it!

I just read the sample at BN.com (much longer than the one on Amazon) - I will definitely pick this up.

biomieg
08-28-2018, 11:24 AM
Looks interesting. How 'horror' is it?

BigJoeHillfan
08-28-2018, 01:21 PM
Finished Fully Loaded by Blake Crouch Sunday. It was good and I especially loved Shining Rock, that was my favorite. On the Good Red Road reminded me of one part of Pines. Of the 3 I just read, Dark Matter was buy far the best, Run second, and Fully Loaded third.

I am thinking of starting the Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin next.

Hunchback Jack
08-28-2018, 01:58 PM
Just finished You by Caroline Kepnes. Great book, and the main character is sooo creepy. Really enjoyed it.

Ooh, I've heard good things about this book. Maybe I should move it up my list.

I finished The Three-Body Problem, blew right through The Dark Forest, and am now starting on Death's End. TBP was really quite excellent, although some of the science was a little too speculative for my tastes. TDF was quite different in tone, focused more on societal and political matters, and is the better novel, in my opinion. Too early to know what to make of DE.

HBJ

Heather19
08-28-2018, 02:30 PM
Finished Fully Loaded by Blake Crouch Sunday. It was good and I especially loved Shining Rock, that was my favorite. On the Good Red Road reminded me of one part of Pines. Of the 3 I just read, Dark Matter was buy far the best, Run second, and Fully Loaded third.

I am thinking of starting the Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin next.

So glad you enjoyed them. Now if only he would hurry and release a new book :lol:

Ooh, I've heard good things about this book. Maybe I should move it up my list.
I'd definitely recommend it. I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would.

Father Cody
08-28-2018, 02:46 PM

I don’t know if I can answer that accurately, but I’ll try. There’s not a ton of gore but when there is, it’s gruesome. I wasn’t scared very often but there were moments when noises from my house settling had me paranoid. There were a few times I was genuinely disturbed and a few times I felt real rage toward a scene or character. The plot itself is based on a horrific concept and the overall theme is one of a horror story. It has its boring moments but I found them short-lived. Most of the time I wondered how an author can make so many sentences so enticing to read the next. Overall ratings and reviews are very positive (it has an average rating of 3.97/5 from 6,350 ratings), but there were some reviewers who hated it. Guess that’s typical, though.

WeDealInLead
08-28-2018, 05:59 PM
That's a pretty solid review. Consider my interest piqued.

biomieg
08-28-2018, 10:30 PM
+1. I’m not into horror for the sake of horror, if you know what I mean. But this sounds intriguing. Thanks!

Ben Mears
08-29-2018, 03:20 AM
Beartown and Us Against You by Fredrick Backman. A truly gifted writer.

Heather19
08-29-2018, 05:03 AM

I don’t know if I can answer that accurately, but I’ll try. There’s not a ton of gore but when there is, it’s gruesome. I wasn’t scared very often but there were moments when noises from my house settling had me paranoid. There were a few times I was genuinely disturbed and a few times I felt real rage toward a scene or character. The plot itself is based on a horrific concept and the overall theme is one of a horror story. It has its boring moments but I found them short-lived. Most of the time I wondered how an author can make so many sentences so enticing to read the next. Overall ratings and reviews are very positive (it has an average rating of 3.97/5 from 6,350 ratings), but there were some reviewers who hated it. Guess that’s typical, though.

I just looked it up, for some reason I thought the movie The Descent was based off this book. While I enjoyed the movie I didn't really care to read the book, but now after looking it up I really want to read it.

Father Cody
08-29-2018, 05:27 AM

I just looked it up, for some reason I thought the movie The Descent was based off this book. While I enjoyed the movie I didn't really care to read the book, but now after looking it up I really want to read it.

I thought the same thing! Assuming the possibility this has been the case with a lot of potential readers of this book, it’s unfortunate for the author. I enjoyed the movie as well but, like you, wouldn’t have cared enough to read the book version of that story. I really hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!

Father Cody
09-02-2018, 06:28 PM
Just read “Sour Candy” by Kealan Patrick Burke and was impressed with how much he fit into 70~ pages. Just twist after twist with dialogue you can easily hear in your head. Highly recommended.

jsmcmullen92
09-05-2018, 07:48 AM
Just finished the Last Town.

Will say the ending was just meh but was good at the same time.

Gonna try a little non-fiction for once and get Chernow's Hamilton biography a try.

Kongo
09-05-2018, 12:20 PM
I thought I'd take a break from the Bill Hodges trilogy and started From a Buick 8. So far it has my attention, and I hear good things. Can't wait to dive deeper

Ben Mears
09-05-2018, 04:30 PM
Back in August of 1976 I was at a Walgreen's spinning the book racks looking for something to read on a short vacation I was taking with my girlfriend prior to heading off to college. I became intrigued by a book with an all black cover embossed with the outline of a girls face and a single drop of blood. I turned to the spine to check out the title and almost put it back because I thought it was going to be about the Salem witch trials. However, upon reading the description on the back cover, I readjusted my thinking, shelled out $1.95 + tax and headed out on the trip. Not surprisingly the book took a back seat to my final weekend with my girlfriend and I went off to college without it. Fast forward to January, 1977 and I'm back from college for the weekend to attend a concert. Needing something to read for the 3.5 hour Amtrak ride back to college I grabbed 'Salem's Lot on my way out the door. In typical Amtrak fashion the train was nearly 2 hours late, so between the delay and the actual ride I had plenty of time to get lost in Jerusalem's Lot. I arrived at the train station in my small college town around 2am and trekked the 3 miles back to my dorm. When I got to my room rather than doing the smart thing and hit the sack I pulled out SL and stayed up the rest of the night rapidly turning pages and jumping at random sounds. 'Salem's Lot became my favorite book that night/early morning and I have re-read it every year since always commencing on September 5th which is the day Ben Mears arrived in Jerusalem's Lot at the start of the book. I always begin with that old Walgreen's paperback before switching the Centipede edition and it is something that I look forward to doing each year as summer comes to a close. As I embark on my 42nd reading I thought I would share some images from a recent trip to the real Jerusalem's Lot.

"...he (Ben Mears) glanced up toward the horizon. What he saw there made him jam on the brakes with both feet...the Marsten House."

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_2560_4_.JPG

"The witch grass grew wild and tall in the front yard obscuring the old, frost-heaved flagstones that that led to the porch."

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_2867_3_.JPG

"But he (Mike Ryerson) liked Harmony Hill best of all three. It was not as old Schoolyard Hill boneyard, but it was pleasant and shady. He hoped that someday he could be buried there himself- in a hundred years or so."

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_2538_3_.JPG

The Methodist Church and Methodist Corners...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_2519_3_.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_2520_3_.JPG

The images above are all from Durham, Maine the town where SK grew up. The look/vibe of the Marsten House was based on the Shiloh Church that is pictured above. The actual Marston House, (spelled differently and shown below) was located just east of Methodist Corners on the Deep Cut Road about a 1/4 mile from SK's childhood home. He and his friend, Chris Chesley, used to sneak into the abandoned Marston House for thrills. SK likely drew upon those experiences to help create the atmosphere of the Marsten House in SL. It was torn down many years ago and is now an empty ('salem's?) lot. All that remains is the stone foundation. The second picture below was taken from the foundation looking down at The Deep Cut Road.
Harmony Hill Cemetery was based on Harmony Grove Cemetery. The Methodist church is next door to SK's childhood home and Methodist Corners is just down the street from the church.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/The_Marston_House.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_2523_2_.JPG

St. Troy
09-05-2018, 05:40 PM
What/where is the real Jerusalem’s Lot?

vincent
09-06-2018, 02:09 AM
thanks for sharing this, very interesting and nicely done! I'm also re-reading 'Salems' Lot right now, your pictures will make me enjoy it ever more.
I hope I can do something similar next summer and walk around Bangor.

Ben Mears
09-06-2018, 05:32 AM

Original post has been updated to include additional info and the answer to your question.

Ben Mears
09-06-2018, 05:35 AM
thanks for sharing this, very interesting and nicely done! I'm also re-reading 'Salems' Lot right now, your pictures will make me enjoy it ever more.
I hope I can do something similar next summer and walk around Bangor.

Vincent,

My visit to Durham, Pownal (The Dead Zone), Lisbon Falls (11/22/63 among others) and Bangor has been on my Bucket list for a while. When you are in Bangor make sure to take Stu Tinker's SK tour. Well worth the time and $.

St. Troy
09-06-2018, 06:10 AM

Original post has been updated to include additional info and the answer to your question.

Thanks

wizardsrainbow
09-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Thanks for sharing! Very cool backstory!

St. Troy
09-06-2018, 11:39 AM
...I have re-read it every year since always commencing on September 5th...

That is very cool. There are a few things I'd like to give the annual treatment, but I don't read enough to be able to fit novel-length things in that frequently (I am able to read A Christmas Carol each December because it is quite short).

...I thought I would share some images from a recent trip to the real Jerusalem's Lot.

Did you take these photos or find them somewhere?

If the former: how did you get that creepy effect?

If the latter: what was the source?

Just curious; they really stand out.

Ben Mears
09-06-2018, 02:47 PM
...I have re-read it every year since always commencing on September 5th...

That is very cool. There are a few things I'd like to give the annual treatment, but I don't read enough to be able to fit novel-length things in that frequently (I am able to read A Christmas Carol each December because it is quite short).

...I thought I would share some images from a recent trip to the real Jerusalem's Lot.

Did you take these photos or find them somewhere?

If the former: how did you get that creepy effect?

If the latter: what was the source?

Just curious; they really stand out.

ST,

Thanks for your kind words.
I start SL every September 5th and then let it play out until October 7, the day that Ben Mears and Mark Petrie punch Barlow's ticket. This allows me to take my time savoring favorite passages and the like. I usually read 2-3 other books during that same timeframe.
All pictures except the newspaper photo of the real Marston House were taken by me when I was in Durham last October. The creepy effect came from using a basic filter option on my laptop along with reducing the light aspect.

BM

Hunchback Jack
09-06-2018, 03:25 PM
The photos are great. They really evoke the feel of the novel. Thanks very much for posting!

Ben Mears
09-06-2018, 04:20 PM
The photos are great. They really evoke the feel of the novel. Thanks very much for posting!

Thanks for noticing HBJ. That is the effect I was going for. If I were to someday redo my Second Coming prototype I would use these photographs.

Heather19
09-06-2018, 04:50 PM
Love the photos! They definitely do evoke the novel. Thanks for posting. I really need to plan a trip up to Maine sometime.

Father Cody
09-06-2018, 06:28 PM
Wow great story man. Amazing pictures, too. You’ve read SL 42 times? How much do you think you have memorized?

Ben Mears
09-07-2018, 12:46 AM
Wow great story man. Amazing pictures, too. You’ve read SL 42 times? How much do you think you have memorized?

Probably not as much as I should after so many readings!

Girlystevedave
09-08-2018, 06:09 AM
Very cool photos.
Also, that is such an awesome yearly tradition to keep for yourself.

Ben Staad
09-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Agreed. It is important for everyone to treat themselves to something special once in a while. Cool story and even better pictures.

Very cool photos.
Also, that is such an awesome yearly tradition to keep for yourself.

St. Troy
09-10-2018, 08:34 AM
Just finished Patrick Rothfuss' The Wise Man's Fear. It was as excellent as TNOTW; I've now joined the others who've been waiting for book #3 in the series.

Now...having said it was excellent, I do have some comments that aren't positive:

Once he got together with Felurian, it seemed like he was getting laid left and right. It's not that this was illogical; it just seemed a bit much. Kvothe knows his way around now - I get it.

Once he got away from Felurian, he catches up with the rest of the anti-raider group, fortunately just as they are completing their tale of what happened when they last saw Kvothe - that is mighty convenient timing. In a lesser work, and if much hinged on this coincidence, this would really bother me.

Rather than return to the Maer upon having escaped Felurian's grasp, Kvothe elects to accompany Tempi to Ademre to sort those problems out. Given that Tempi has gotten himself into trouble by teaching Kvothe, it is completely logical and reasonable that Kvothe would feel responsible and want to help - but Kvothe belongs to the Maer utterly. How could he think “well, I did what you asked, your grace, but then I took a month to do some other shit that you wouldn’t understand and wouldn’t care about even if you did” would fly? It did fly, of course, but this still stood out for me.

To sum up: although these things got my attention, they ultimately didn't bother me much.

St. Troy
09-10-2018, 09:46 AM
I'll apologize in advance: this post got out of hand.

Today, I began Arthur Conan Doyle's Gothic Tales, from Oxford University Press.

Of course, Doyle is known for his Sherlock material; this collection covers his gothic non-Sherlock dabblings:

- This is the first-ever scholarly edition of Conan Doyle's "Gothic Tales," meticulously sourced with the history of each tale

- Features a new critical introduction from expert Darryl Jones, who offers an analysis of the importance of the Gothic to the whole of Doyle's writing career

...more info at https://global.oup.com/academic/product/gothic-tales-9780198734291?lang=en&cc=us.

As a physical book, GT is a good example of a type of book I quite like: by no means fine, exclusive or expensive, but is part of a line (the Oxford World's Classics Hardback Collection) that, for the most part, has distinctive designs that make for an enjoyable book to hold or to have on the shelf (see for yourself at https://global.oup.com/academic/content/series/o/oxford-worlds-classics-hardback-collection-owch/?lang=en&cc=us). From this line, I also have M.R. James' Collected Ghost Stories (which I will read next month) and will buy The Mabinogion and Arthur Machen's The Great God Pan and Other Horror Stories, which in turn reminds me that Centipede Press has their own Machen volume out now (http://www.centipedepress.com/masters/machenlwf.html), a bargain at only $40, and NOT to be confused with CP's recent larger Machen volume, which has sold out. (FWIW, while there is some overlap between CP's $40 Machen and the OUP Machen, there is enough difference that I plan to get both).

For a great look at Gothic Tales, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJw9OPABUDE

You will notice that this person didn't like this book (physically) as I did; he has some points about quality (especially if you are evaluating it as a collector), but it takes a lot to make me dislike a clothbound book, and I like this one (I will admit: the white cloth picks up everything).

I'd like to add that the YouTuber behind this video (Pontus Presents) makes some of the very best book videos (unboxing and others) I've ever seen (clear video and audio (which are painful when absent in others' videos), nice descriptions, shows lots of illustrations (when they exist), and often has helpful links under the video).

If you are interested only in King, he isn't for you (it's possible that he covered Folio Society's The Shining, but that's the only King he might have covered), but if you are open to other bibliofun, he's covered things from Folio Society, Everyman's Library, and Taschen, as well as some deluxe Tolkien things.

Something that should interest some of you is a great (and creepy) video he did for Folio Society's edition of The Exorcist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQZRWJKwBLk&t=250s&index=30&list=PLUcsOzBo6EMKsUguJE1o3N_1obX4pnsaZ

...which features the illustrations that first appeared in Lonely Road's edition (perhaps someone out there has that - if so, please point me to some photos (yours?) of the interior (other than the illustrations), as I've never been able to find any).

And while I'm mentioning Pontus Presents, I feel compelled to share the video (which you should watch on the biggest screen you own) for Folio Society's limited edition (1,000 copies, $865.00) of Alice In Wonderland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eppspAPUogQ&index=18&list=PLUcsOzBo6EMKsUguJE1o3N_1obX4pnsaZ

...which is one of the most spectacular productions I've ever seen: 13" x 9 3/4", and

"This edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland has been composed in Founders Caslon types at The Folio Society and printed on Ambassador Cream Twin-wire laid by Smith Settle, Yeadon, West Yorkshire. The plates and the scraps have been printed on Olin silk paper by Napier Jones, London. The limited edition etching has been hand-printed under the artist's supervision by New Leaf Editions, Vancouver, Canada, on Somerset velvet buff 100% cotton mouldmade paper, and mounted on Hahnemühle Bugra Butten.

The endpapers have been printed letterpress on Bugra Butten by the Logan Press, Wellingborough, Northants. The book has been hand-bound in vellum blocked in 22-carat gold, with vellum tips and Freelife Merida sides, by Smith Settle. The edition is limited to 1000 copies, signed and numbered by the artist on the etching, and thirty copies numbered in roman numerals, which are hors commerce."

Sorry for the extra ramble, but when I get going, it takes a lot to stop me. Hopefully this has been of some use or interest to some of you.

Once again: I have no connection to OUP or PP; I just like to gush when I find something I really like (and the humans around me, for the most part, don't understand the appeal of books - one of them doesn't even read for pleasure...).

Brian861
09-10-2018, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the share! Those look like some really beautiful editions. About to head out to work so I'll check the vids out later.

WeDealInLead
09-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Ooh, Grady Hendrix has a new book out. I put a hold on it at the library. First in line, baby!

Ben Mears
09-19-2018, 09:02 AM
My American Unhappiness by Dean Baropoulos and Lethal White by Robert Galbraith with 'Salem's Lot re-read sandwiched in-between.

Father Cody
09-19-2018, 03:41 PM
“Occultation” by Laird Barron

Heather19
09-24-2018, 04:51 AM
Just started Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.

webstar1000
09-24-2018, 05:04 AM
Has anyone read Origin by Dan Brown? Any good?

WeDealInLead
09-24-2018, 05:07 AM
I've read everything by him. His books are hard to put down but don't really stay with you. Perfect summer reading or something you'd read in between some heavy lifting.

webstar1000
09-24-2018, 05:12 AM
I've read everything by him. His books are hard to put down but don't really stay with you. Perfect summer reading or something you'd read in between some heavy lifting.

Thanks. I kind of feel the same way.. I don't remember many of them. BUT remember liking them...

biomieg
09-24-2018, 06:30 AM
I liked his first couple of books but he lost me with Inferno. I felt it was poorly written, very 'clunky', a feeling I did not have with his first books. Like you guys, I do rember reading and enjoying Dan Brown books but I hardly have any idea anymore what they were about :smile:

Earl of Popkin
09-24-2018, 06:38 AM
Has anyone read Origin by Dan Brown? Any good?

Nowhere near as good as his others. Forgettable and formulaic - BUT I read it rather quickly as he still made it addictive to read. I think I’m just a sucker for really short chapters

Earl of Popkin
09-24-2018, 06:39 AM

I came close to reading this after the hbo series, as I’ve read her other two...curious to hear your verdict on this one

Heather19
09-24-2018, 07:18 AM

I came close to reading this after the hbo series, as I’ve read her other two...curious to hear your verdict on this one

I'll let you know when I finish. I've been holding off on watching the show until I read it.

Father Cody
09-24-2018, 10:27 AM

I'll let you know when I finish. I've been holding off on watching the show until I read it.

It’s one of the most rated books (#4 or #5 I think) on my gigantic Goodreads to-read list. Apparently it’s extremely popular.