PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Ricky
09-28-2017, 08:23 AM
Is it your first read of Eyes of the Dragon?!

Yup! It never really made me jump to read it because of the big fantasy elements, but everyone seems to like it so I'm intrigued. Plus, TDT connections.

Girlystevedave
09-28-2017, 09:42 AM
Eyes of the Dragon is a really good one. I've been meaning to do a re-read of it for some time now. I hope you like it.

Ben Staad
09-28-2017, 04:32 PM
Hope you enjoy it. It's one of my favorites but in a different way than other SK works.

Is it your first read of Eyes of the Dragon?!

Yup! It never really made me jump to read it because of the big fantasy elements, but everyone seems to like it so I'm intrigued. Plus, TDT connections.

St. Troy
10-10-2017, 08:44 AM
I finished The Second World War, Volume III: The Grand Alliance by Winston Churchill last week.

Some good quotes:

“...so far as strategy, policy, foresight, competence are arbiters Stalin and his commissars showed themselves at this moment the most completely outwitted bunglers of the Second World War.”

"...you should obtain accurate information, because no judgment can be formed without it."

“...in Belgrade the conspirators decided to act. The signal was given to seize key points in Belgrade, and the royal residence, together with the person of the young King, Peter II, by dawn on March 27...There was no bloodshed. Certain senior officers were placed under arrest…The streets of Belgrade were soon thronged with Serbs, chanting, ‘Rather war than the pact; rather death than slavery.’ There was dancing in the squares; English and French flags appeared everywhere; the Serb national anthem was sung with wild defiance by valiant, helpless multitudes…The German Minister was publicly insulted, and the crowd spat on his car. The military exploit has roused a surge of national vitality. A people paralysed in action, hitherto ill-governed and ill-led, long haunted by the sense of being ensnared, flung their reckless, heroic defiance at the tyrant and conqueror in the moment of his greatest power.”

"The German communique claimed the destruction of the Rolls-Royce works at Derby, which they never got near. Two hundred and thirty high-explosive bombs and a large number of incendiaries were however unloaded in the open country. The total casualties there were two chickens.”

“I presume you are only waiting for the tortoise to stick his head out far enough before chopping it off.”

“I was rather pleased with this when I wrote it, and I don’t mind the look of it now.”

"...Prince Paul’s attitude looks like that of an unfortunate man in a cage with a tiger, hoping not to provoke him while steadily dinner-time approaches.”

St. Troy
10-10-2017, 08:46 AM
I started The Second World War, Volume IV: The Hinge of Fate by Winston Churchill last week.

webstar1000
10-12-2017, 04:49 AM
200 pages in on Sleeping Beauties and LOVING it so far. Hope it keeps getting better. I also read Jurassic Park on the weekend... and it was good! I never did before and it was a fast, fun read:)

Heather19
10-12-2017, 06:16 AM
Love Jurassic Park. I've been wanting to go back and re-read both that and Lost World.

Working my way through Pet Semetary. This was my first King book back when I was 13-14. Haven't read it, since so alot of it is hazy in my mind. But it's always held a special place in my heart. Really loving it. It's also much scarier than I remember.

webstar1000
10-12-2017, 06:29 AM
Love Jurassic Park. I've been wanting to go back and re-read both that and Lost World.

Working my way through Pet Semetary. This was my first King book back when I was 13-14. Haven't read it, since so alot of it is hazy in my mind. But it's always held a special place in my heart. Really loving it. It's also much scarier than I remember.

Hey is the Lost World part 2 in the books too?

Heather19
10-12-2017, 07:32 AM

Yep, it's the sequel to Jurassic Park. So much better than the movie.

webstar1000
10-12-2017, 07:33 AM

Yep, it's the sequel to Jurassic Park. So much better than the movie.

Oh I'm going to get it then! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

St. Troy
10-12-2017, 09:07 AM

I originally read Pet Sematary probably when I was a teenager (now 48 ); I have just about no recollection of my reaction at the time (this tells me it wasn't one of my favorites, but also that it wasn't that bad...it also tells me I am old).

I read it for only the second time a little over a year ago and liked it. Not one of my top King works, but it does what it does pretty well. It impressed me with the density of its negativity; there's not lots to be happy about in this one.

I am torn on whether I'm going to get CD's upcoming edition of PS. On one hand, it's not, for me, a classic (like The Stand; you can't call yourself a King fan and not have interest in the upcoming CD edition of this) or must-have (like Salem's Lot, a personal favorite of mine) - but on the other, it is pretty damn effective in its own way and avoids cliche (perhaps I can live without it...but this is a strong book). I expect that the artwork will make the decision for me: something really kickass and dark will lock me in; something pedestrian may push me out (odds of CD doing this: small). Have they announced - or have any of the clever ones here found out - who is illustrating that?

Ricky
10-12-2017, 09:27 AM

Pet Sematary was the first King book I read also (back in 7th grade). It's one of my favorites and I've been wanting to do a re-read for years but am worried about the possibility that I won't like it as much.

webstar1000
10-12-2017, 09:41 AM

I originally read Pet Sematary probably when I was a teenager (now 48 ); I have just about no recollection of my reaction at the time (this tells me it wasn't one of my favorites, but also that it wasn't that bad...it also tells me I am old).

I read it for only the second time a little over a year ago and liked it. Not one of my top King works, but it does what it does pretty well. It impressed me with the density of its negativity; there's not lots to be happy about in this one.

I am torn on whether I'm going to get CD's upcoming edition of PS. On one hand, it's not, for me, a classic (like The Stand; you can't call yourself a King fan and not have interest in the upcoming CD edition of this) or must-have (like Salem's Lot, a personal favorite of mine) - but on the other, it is pretty damn effective in its own way and avoids cliche (perhaps I can live without it...but this is a strong book). I expect that the artwork will make the decision for me: something really kickass and dark will lock me in; something pedestrian may push me out (odds of CD doing this: small). Have they announced - or have any of the clever ones here found out - who is illustrating that?

They just won't say a word on it. I have a feeling that maybe King will sign it to be honest... I don't know why I do... but I do.

Girlystevedave
10-12-2017, 10:42 AM
My list of unread King books is so small and I'm really debating finally giving Pet Sematary a go sometime soon. I've shied away from it because I'm scared of how it might upset me as a parent, but I keep telling myself that I've encountered some pretty rough things in King books already an I survived. :orely:

Heather19
10-12-2017, 11:57 AM

Pet Sematary was the first King book I read also (back in 7th grade). It's one of my favorites and I've been wanting to do a re-read for years but am worried about the possibility that I won't like it as much.

I actually think I might be enjoying it more this time around. Granted though, I would have rated it in my top 5 before just because of my love for it turning me into a King fan.

St. Troy
10-12-2017, 12:16 PM
...I'm scared of how it might upset me as a parent, but I keep telling myself that I've encountered some pretty rough things in King books already an I survived. :orely:

Funny how that makes a difference; I read most of his "golden oldies" long before I had kids, then have recently re-read several as a father. It definitely is a different perspective.

I'd say if you survived Cujo and It, you'll survive Pet Sematary.

[Certainly there's lots of characters with terrible fates in SK's work, but I find that, with me, sometimes it's the small things that stick with me, like Chuckie Hamburger and Avery Hockstetter.]

Girlystevedave
10-12-2017, 01:12 PM
...I'm scared of how it might upset me as a parent, but I keep telling myself that I've encountered some pretty rough things in King books already an I survived. :orely:

Funny how that makes a difference; I read most of his "golden oldies" long before I had kids, then have recently re-read several as a father. It definitely is a different perspective.

I'd say if you survived Cujo and It, you'll survive Pet Sematary.

[Certainly there's lots of characters with terrible fates in SK's work, but I find that, with me, sometimes it's the small things that stick with me, like Chuckie Hamburger and Avery Hockstetter.]

The perspective is definitely different, as you said.

And Cujo was the first King book I ever read. I've wanted to reread it since I was only 12 at the time and can't remember anything about it, but I don't know if I could handle it at this point.

And what you said about certain characters' fates sticking with you more is very true. I read stuff at times now that really has the ability to make my stomach turn, whereas before, it wouldn't have made me bat an eyelash.

Did you read Full Dark, No Stars?
If so, the story 1922 really really got to me because, as a mom, the whole thought of a mom being killed by her own son and husband really really bothered me in ways I didn't enjoy. :lol:

Also, in Mr. Mercedes, Brady Hartfield's relationship with his mother made me very very uncomfortable while reading.

Ricky
10-12-2017, 02:53 PM
My list of unread King books is so small and I'm really debating finally giving Pet Sematary a go sometime soon. I've shied away from it because I'm scared of how it might upset me as a parent, but I keep telling myself that I've encountered some pretty rough things in King books already an I survived. :orely:

Thought #1: You haven't read it yet?! :o

Thought #2: Oh yeah, it'll destroy you. :lol:

I actually think I might be enjoying it more this time around. Granted though, I would have rated it in my top 5 before just because of my love for it turning me into a King fan.

That's good to hear. I'll have to keep it in mind for when I'm looking for a re-read.

jhanic
10-12-2017, 03:56 PM
I first read Pet Sematary while I was traveling on business in a VERY small airport (two gates!) in Virginia at about 9 in the evening. I was the only person except for the ticketing agent, who was usually in the back room, in the entire building. Talk about spooky! This was just after it was published.

John

webstar1000
10-12-2017, 04:33 PM
I first read Pet Sematary while I was traveling on business in a VERY small airport (two gates!) in Virginia at about 9 in the evening. I was the only person except for the ticketing agent, who was usually in the back room, in the entire building. Talk about spooky! This was just after it was published.

John

That's so very cool you remember that John!

Brian861
10-12-2017, 05:07 PM

John

That is cool, John! I re-read The Stand (Uncut) while on sentry duty in the military on night shift. This was about time that Grunge music had hit the airwaves and I had it playing softly in the background while I read. So every time I hear a song from that time period, it takes me back to those long nights spent with Stu and the gang. And of course the Walking Dude.

The book is also stained from red beans and rice that leaked from the container onto it while in my lunch bag. It's one beat up, tired solider but I wouldn't part with it for the world. As it's value only lies within me.

St. Troy
10-12-2017, 05:33 PM
And Cujo was the first King book I ever read. I've wanted to reread it since I was only 12 at the time...

Cujo may have been my first too, or it may just have been the first one I actually owned myself (a friend gave it to me; I vividly recall being freaked out by the cover art), right around the same age, too (I was in junior high (aka middle school), that much I know).

Did you read Full Dark, No Stars?

...Also, in Mr. Mercedes...

I'm probably the only one here that hasn't read either of these, but I look forward to reading both.

St. Troy
10-12-2017, 05:33 PM

John

Good story, but imagine if you'd been reading The Night Flier instead...

St. Troy
10-12-2017, 05:40 PM
I re-read The Stand (Uncut) while on sentry duty in the military on night shift...The book is also stained from red beans and rice that leaked from the container onto it while in my lunch bag.

I'm glad to learn I'm not the only one here with a 1000+ pg King book stained red from food (during my first re-read of It in the early 90s, I had the habit of eating lasagna during late-night reads, and since this occasionally included alcohol, it wasn't pretty).

jhanic
10-13-2017, 11:12 AM

John

Good story, but imagine if you'd been reading The Night Flier instead...

When I first read The Night Flier envisioned that same airport.

John

Heather19
10-14-2017, 07:31 AM
I bet that made it even creepier!

Jean
10-14-2017, 08:19 PM
bears have been reading tons of Russian horrors

didn't even know such a genre existed. It sure hadn't before ten or fifteen years ago, except some classics (like Gogol) and elements of horror in regular novels of various authors. Well, the genre exists and, quite unexpectedly, prospers. There are authors who write genuinely creepy, scary, sometimes incredibly sick things - that don't read like anything I've read before; I mean, it's not imitation of anything already existing in the world (which I feared for some reason), but mainly totally original approach, based on our lore, history, locale, folk tales and urban legends etc. Bears are very impressed and only regret can't share none of it here.

Girlystevedave
10-17-2017, 12:52 PM

Thought #1: You haven't read it yet?! :o

Thought #2: Oh yeah, it'll destroy you. :lol:

1. I saw the movie so much growing up that it took away any interest I had in reading the book because I felt like I already knew the story.
2. I know, right? :lol:
I still have a feeling I'm gonna give in one day and read it.

John

Ooh, talk about setting the right "tone" for the book.

John

That is cool, John! I re-read The Stand (Uncut) while on sentry duty in the military on night shift. This was about time that Grunge music had hit the airwaves and I had it playing softly in the background while I read. So every time I hear a song from that time period, it takes me back to those long nights spent with Stu and the gang. And of course the Walking Dude.

Awesome! I love it when music has the ability to take me back to a specific book/story. It's pretty neat how, no matter how many years pass, you can't not think of that story when you hear a certain song.

Mattrick
10-22-2017, 11:59 AM
Currently reading:

https://scontent.fybz2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22688481_10159657223795571_8480269103338573574_n.j pg?oh=957e67e9011791429717e57060b54a06&oe=5A85BC90

So far it's about a dysfunctional rich family mostly drinking booze and lamenting, though they've yet to come together. I have a feeling once they come together, this novel is going to get quite entertaining and funny.

webstar1000
11-08-2017, 05:47 AM
Has anyone read the Poet by Connolly?

Girlystevedave
11-08-2017, 07:16 AM
I'm in a reading slump right now. I'm halfway through The Body and it's just not holding my attention. I'm over halfway through an Otis Redding biography and haven't picked it up for days.
I really really need a good book to be obsessed with right now.

Ricky
11-08-2017, 07:35 AM
I was going to say now might be the time for Pet Sematary, but it might bum you out during the holidays. :lol:

Girlystevedave
11-08-2017, 08:03 AM
:lol: Right?! I can't chance having my holidays ruined, Ricky! haha

And I still really want to read The Demonologist, but it's not available at the library right now and I don't know if I want to read it post-Halloween. :lol:

WeDealInLead
11-08-2017, 11:32 AM
I'm reading The Wandering Earth by Cixin Liu. This is pretty refreshing and rejuvenating stuff; his ideas and imagery are to my thirty-nine-year-old self what Verne and Wells were to me when I was nine. I'm surprised Subterranean Press hasn't already moved in on Liu.

webstar1000
11-08-2017, 02:06 PM
Soooo anyone read the Poet?

Ricky
11-08-2017, 04:07 PM

And I still really want to read The Demonologist, but it's not available at the library right now and I don't know if I want to read it post-Halloween. :lol:

Yeah, skip Pet Sematary until January and after the holidays...that way when you read it iit's extra sad with your post-holiday slump.

And I initially read The Demonologist during a Halloween season, but imagine it would be just as enjoyable "off-season." Though I can see why you'd want to wait.

Brian861
11-08-2017, 06:08 PM
I'm currently reading cereal boxes while at breakfast :shrug:

Zidan
11-09-2017, 08:33 AM
Currently reading The Woman by Jack Ketchum. Guy has a real talent for making readers squirm uncomfortably in their seats.

Girlystevedave
11-09-2017, 11:02 AM

Yeah, skip Pet Sematary until January and after the holidays...that way when you read it iit's extra sad with your post-holiday slump.

And I initially read The Demonologist during a Halloween season, but imagine it would be just as enjoyable "off-season." Though I can see why you'd want to wait.

1. Pet Sematary combined with post-Christmas depression would be an awful combination. :lol:
2. And I'll probably get around to reading The Demonologist before Halloween anyway. Hell, if I wait until Halloween, I'll probably forget all about it next year. haha

lotuz
11-18-2017, 11:16 AM
I'm reading The Wandering Earth by Cixin Liu. This is pretty refreshing and rejuvenating stuff; his ideas and imagery are to my thirty-nine-year-old self what Verne and Wells were to me when I was nine. I'm surprised Subterranean Press hasn't already moved in on Liu.

When they do (and I'm sure they will) I'll be ready!

I missed the first book of the Imperial Radch trilogy and had to pay dearly for a complete set...

They are also the ones who introduced me to The Expanse series: I got the preorder email saying that Leviathan Wakes was almost sold out. I had never heard of it (somehow!) but I decided to go ahead and order a copy. SOOOOO happy I did! Cibola Burn is on its way to me as I type!

St. Troy
11-21-2017, 07:39 AM
Last night I finished The Second World War, Volume IV: The Hinge of Fate by Winston Churchill.

Some interesting and/or amusing quotes:

“I had to burden the House for nearly two hours. They took what they got without enthusiasm.”

“The post of Ambassador to the Soviets has been found extremely unattractive by all British and Americans who have been called upon to fill it…”

“…things are increasingly a-quiver.”

“…our hands are too full, but I do not want them tied.”

“All this shows how much luck there is in human affairs, and how little we should worry about anything except doing our best.”

“As we gradually descended towards the Potomac River I noticed that the top of the Washington Monument, which is over five hundred and fifty feet high, was about our level, and I impressed upon Captain Kelly Rogers that it would be peculiarly unfortunate if we brought our story to an end by hitting this of all other objects in the world. He assured me that he would take special care to miss it.”

“The President drove me all over the estate… Mr. Roosevelt’s infirmity prevented him from using his feet on the brake, clutch, or accelerator. An ingenious arrangement enabled him to do everything with his arms, which were amazingly strong and muscular. He invited me to feel his biceps, saying that a famous prize-fighter had envied them. This was reassuring; but I confess that when on several occasions the car poised and backed on the grass verges of the precipices over the Hudson I hoped the mechanical devices and brakes would show no defects.”

“I was given a ‘walkie-talkie’ to carry. This was the first time I had ever handled such a convenience.”

...and three bonus quotes from FDR to Churchill:

“Stalin hates the guts of all your top people.”

“Once a month I go to Hyde Park for four days, crawl into a hole, and pull the hole in after me.”

“For the love of Heaven don’t bring me into this..."

St. Troy
11-21-2017, 07:43 AM
This morning I began The Second World War, Volume V: Closing The Ring by Winston Churchill.

jsmcmullen92
11-22-2017, 08:16 AM
Just started Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson.

WeDealInLead
11-22-2017, 02:10 PM
I started Strange Weather by Joe Hill.

InsufficientData
11-22-2017, 03:17 PM
At the moment I'm re-reading the DT books, including Insomnia (which I'm on now). Of the DT books, I'm half-way through The Wind Through The Keyhole.

Girlystevedave
11-24-2017, 07:12 AM
After having a difficult time getting into most of what I've started lately, I decided to dive into Robert McCammon's Swan Song last night. It's a beast of a book, but it did grab my attention with the first two chapters and all I can think of is getting out of work so I can read it.
That's a good sign. :)

St. Troy
12-18-2017, 08:29 AM
Now taking a break from The Second World War, Volume V: Closing The Ring by Winston Churchill in order to fit in my annual read of A Christmas Carol.

WeDealInLead
12-20-2017, 09:13 AM
Dean Koontz - Strange Highways

St. Troy
12-20-2017, 09:15 AM
Just completed A Christmas Carol and returned to The Second World War, Volume V: Closing The Ring by Winston Churchill.

ladysai
12-21-2017, 02:32 AM
Now taking a break from The Second World War, Volume V: Closing The Ring by Winston Churchill in order to fit in my annual read of A Christmas Carol.

Have you heard about "Mr Dickens and His Carol", by Samantha Silva?
I thought it was a wonderful "backstory" for the holiday classic.
https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1507219155l/34275234.jpg

St. Troy
12-21-2017, 06:42 AM
Have you heard about "Mr Dickens and His Carol", by Samantha Silva?

I have; it looks interesting and I may check it out.

ladysai
12-21-2017, 07:23 PM
Please do.
I hope youll find it as enjoyable as I did. :)

WeDealInLead
01-03-2018, 07:48 AM
David J. Schow - Seeing Red

jsmcmullen92
01-03-2018, 09:38 AM
Picked up The Woman in Black by Susan Hill the other day. feels different and the language is weird but I'll continue to give it a shot

peripheral
01-03-2018, 11:28 AM

Just pre-ordered his “best of” through Camelot (sub press, I think?)

TravelinJack
01-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Just finished, “The Thicket” by Joe R. Lansdale. This was my first read of his. I enjoyed it. A nice change from what I’ve been reading.

Currently reading, “The Haunted”, by Bentley Little. My first read of his as well.

WeDealInLead
01-03-2018, 01:26 PM

Just pre-ordered his “best of” through Camelot (sub press, I think?)

Yep. Subterranean published a lot of his limited editions.

Heather19
01-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Picked up The Woman in Black by Susan Hill the other day. feels different and the language is weird but I'll continue to give it a shot

I've been wanting to read this one. Right now I'm almost done reading The Man in the Picture by her. Really enjoying it. It's the first book of hers that I've read.

Heather19
01-04-2018, 07:17 AM
Snowed in for the day so I decided to start Stranded by Bracken Macleod.

Girlystevedave
01-05-2018, 11:31 AM

I've been wanting to read this one. Right now I'm almost done reading The Man in the Picture by her. Really enjoying it. It's the first book of hers that I've read.

I've also been meaning to get around to reading The Woman in Black one day. I haven't read anything by Susan Hill yet.

jsmcmullen92
01-05-2018, 11:40 AM

I've also been meaning to get around to reading The Woman in Black one day. I haven't read anything by Susan Hill yet.It's picking up a little now. The beginning was very confusing as it's telling a story but it's only half relavent. Once it gets to.the real story it's pretty good

Girlystevedave
01-05-2018, 06:47 PM
I’m a little ways into The Demonologist and really liking it. :D

Ricky
01-05-2018, 06:58 PM
Damn right you are! :lol:

I like how it goes into the different levels of possession.

Girlystevedave
01-05-2018, 07:04 PM
I haven’t read that part yet. :o

I got pretty creeped out reading the Annabelle section.

Ricky
01-05-2018, 07:32 PM
Yeah, the Annabelle chapter was pretty creepy. It gets worse...by which I mean better. ;)

craigobau
01-05-2018, 10:42 PM
Joe Hill - Strange Weather

Girlystevedave
01-06-2018, 06:11 AM
Yeah, the Annabelle chapter was pretty creepy. It gets worse...by which I mean better. ;)

Aw yeah! :thumbsup:

Heather19
01-07-2018, 02:33 PM
I really need to read The Demonologist.

Girlystevedave
01-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Heather, I'm really liking it so far.

Heather19
01-10-2018, 10:14 AM
So I went to the bookstore the other day with intentions of just getting a weekly planner for work since they're now on sale. Well I walked out with a handful of books, and The Demonologist was one of them :D However when I got home I saw that the planner only goes till Aug? So now I have to go exchange it, and in the end I didn't even get what I went for :lol:

Girlystevedave
01-10-2018, 11:19 AM
Haha. But you ended up with The Demonologist, so it all worked out in the end. :lol:

WeDealInLead
01-10-2018, 12:00 PM
Philip K Dick - Adjustment Team

Ricky
01-10-2018, 03:50 PM
So I went to the bookstore the other day with intentions of just getting a weekly planner for work since they're now on sale. Well I walked out with a handful of books, and The Demonologist was one of them :D

:thumbsup:

Hope you enjoy it.

Heather19
01-11-2018, 05:05 AM
Haha. But you ended up with The Demonologist, so it all worked out in the end. :lol:

I thought you were Ricky again :lol:

So I went to the bookstore the other day with intentions of just getting a weekly planner for work since they're now on sale. Well I walked out with a handful of books, and The Demonologist was one of them :D

Hope you enjoy it.

Until I saw this and was like why is he commenting again :rofl:

I'm sure I will. I love reading about stuff like that. Not sure how quickly I'll get to it though. I'm in the middle of my winter horror reads. I just finished Stranded, and started Snow by Ronald Malfi, and next up is my re-read of The Terror by Dan Simmons before the show premiers in March. Can not wait for it!

jsmcmullen92
01-11-2018, 06:21 AM

I've also been meaning to get around to reading The Woman in Black one day. I haven't read anything by Susan Hill yet.It's picking up a little now. The beginning was very confusing as it's telling a story but it's only half relavent. Once it gets to.the real story it's pretty good

So I finished it the other night. I will say she is VERY long winded in her sentence structure, not sure if that's how her other books are. Overall the story was good but I doubt I will ever read it again.

Heather19
01-11-2018, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the update. I'll probably give it a go at some point.

St. Troy
01-11-2018, 11:18 AM
Last night I finished The Second World War, Volume V: Closing The Ring by Winston Churchill.

Some interesting quotes:

"When men are fighting for their lives they are not often disposed to be complimentary to those who are trying to kill them."

"Hitler…had in fact made a spider’s web and forgotten the spider."

"But who in war will not have his laugh amid the skulls?"

"...pine forests from which the newspapers get their pulp to guide us on life’s journey."

"...this class of criticism which I read in the newspapers when I arrived on Sunday morning reminds me of the simple tale about the sailor who jumped into a dock, I think it was at Plymouth, to rescue a small boy from drowning. About a week later this sailor was accosted by a woman, who asked, ‘Are you the man who picked my son out of the dock the other night?’ The sailor replied modestly, ‘That is true, ma’am.’ ‘Ah,’ said the woman, ‘you are the man I am looking for. Where is his cap?'"

"I have now received a telegram from U.J. which I think you will feel is not exactly all one might hope for from a gentleman for whose sake we are to make an inconvenient, extreme and costly exertion."

"Thanksgiving Day, which fell on November 25, is a feature in American life. Every soldier in the American armies is supposed to eat turkey on that date, and most of them did in 1943."

"I could not admire the arrangements which had been made for my reception after landing in Teheran. …As we approached the city the road was lined with Persian cavalrymen every fifty yards, for at least three miles. It was clearly shown to any evil people that somebody of consequence was coming, and which way. The men on horseback advertised the route, but could provide no protection at all. A police car driving a hundred yards in advance gave warning of our approach. The pace was slow. Presently large crowds stood in the spaces between the Persian cavalry, and as far as I could see there were few, if any, foot police. Towards the centre of Teheran these crowds were four or five deep. The people were friendly but non-committal. They pressed to within a few feet of the car. There was no kind of defence at all against two or three determined men with pistols or a bomb. As we reached the turning which led to the Legation there was a traffic block, and we remained for three or four minutes stationary amid the crowded throng of gaping Persians. If it had been planned out beforehand to run the greatest risks and have neither the security of quiet surprise arrival nor an effective escort the problem could not have been solved more perfectly. However, nothing happened. I grinned at the crowd, and on the whole they grinned at me."

"I do not feel any break in the continuity of my thought in this immense sphere. But vast and disastrous changes have fallen upon us in the realm of fact. The Polish frontiers exist only in name, and Poland lies quivering in the Russian-Communist grip. Germany has indeed been partitioned, but only by a hideous division into zones of military occupation. About this tragedy it can only be said IT CANNOT LAST."

"I have always had a great objection to what are called ‘stuffed clouds’ – i.e., clouds with mountains inside them…"

"...I had hoped that we were hurling a wild cat on to the shore, but all we had got was a stranded whale."

"When you have to hold a hot coffee-pot it is better not to break the handle off until you are sure that you will get another equally convenient and serviceable, or at any rate until there is a dishcloth handy."

NOTE: an entirely unexpected reference to the physical act of love: "...nothing could be more natural and nothing could be more becoming than that a young king should marry a highly suitable princess on the eve of his departure for the war. Thus he has a chance of perpetuating his dynasty, and anyhow of giving effect to those primary instincts to which the humblest of human beings have a right."

"We should all look very silly if some of our valuable guns were blown up."

"Much had been made beforehand of the magnitude and perils of this enterprise. It was entirely successful, with no casualties, except, according to sailors’ stories, one soldier bitten by a mule."

St. Troy
01-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Last night I began The Second World War, Volume VI: Triumph And Tragedy by Winston Churchill.

This is the last volume in the series, which I began last May. I'm excited to read something else soon, but there will be massive withdrawal, as there normally is when I finish anything that takes over a month to get through.

WeDealInLead
01-15-2018, 06:25 PM
Philip K Dick - Adjustment Team

Done. An excellent collection. Now reading The Plot Against Earth. I like all of the many eras of Silverberg, but his early pulpy/adventure SF is my favourite.

St. Troy
01-16-2018, 07:11 AM
Speaking of Philip K. Dick, some of you might be interested in this: http://www.foliosociety.com/book/PKD/scanner-androids

Girlystevedave
01-16-2018, 08:21 AM
I'm reading Justin Cronin's The Passage for the first time in my life and, wow man. Just wow. :)

jsmcmullen92
01-16-2018, 01:27 PM
Just picked up The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Man this is a dense book but I am really enjoying it so far.

Ricky
01-16-2018, 04:21 PM
I'm reading Justin Cronin's The Passage for the first time in my life and, wow man. Just wow. Ricky really knows how to recommend books. I should've listened to him years ago! What an American treasure! :)

Amanda, I don't know what to say. :blush:

Girlystevedave
01-16-2018, 05:46 PM
I'm reading Justin Cronin's The Passage for the first time in my life and, wow man. Just wow. Ricky really knows how to recommend books. I should've listened to him years ago! What an American treasure! :)

Amanda, I don't know what to say. :blush:

:rofl: Oh man.

WeDealInLead
01-19-2018, 07:31 AM
I finally started reading The Regulators. Now I know why I kept putting it off.

jsmcmullen92
01-19-2018, 07:33 AM

yeah that one was just meh. I heard if you read it before desperation it's better but if not it's just blah

St. Troy
01-19-2018, 07:39 AM
Both The Regulators and Desperation seemed to have interesting ingredients, but left me pretty flat and just didn't work for me.

Girlystevedave
01-19-2018, 07:57 AM

yeah that one was just meh. I heard if you read it before desperation it's better but if not it's just blah

I love Desperation and was excited to read The Regulators, but when I finally got around to it, it was very meh. I can't remember a lot of details about it now, but I remember feeling let-down when I finished it. Like my life didn't change in the slightest for having read it. :lol:

Brian861
01-19-2018, 08:15 AM
Both are definitely on the bottom of my SK list.

Heather19
01-20-2018, 04:56 AM
Wow, I love both. I read The Regulators when it first came out and thoroughly enjoyed it. Read Desperation years later and enjoyed that one as well. Then just a few years ago decided to read them back to back so I could pick up on all the connections :D

St. Troy
02-15-2018, 10:32 AM
Two nights ago I finished The Second World War, Volume VI: Triumph And Tragedy by Winston Churchill. This was the final volume in the series, which I started on May 24 last year (it took about 8 1/2 months) - other than a 2-day break to read A Christmas Carol in December, this is all I've read since then.

There is always a kind of withdrawal when finishing something long (if it's any good), and this is the worst one yet ( Lord of the Rings and It were my first experiences with this, and there seemed to be a vast rushing sound as if from a nearby cave when I reached the end of Harry Potter, although I've never read all 7 in a row - all was well NOOOOOOOOOOOO).

This was the longest time I've ever spent reading anything continuously. It's a combination of the feeling that a pet has died and the feeling that my parents kicked me out of the house (this part probably because the reading experience was akin to having "Uncle Winston" inform me personally).

Some quotes from this volume:

"…we hope to furnish the enemy with a succession of surprises during the course of the fighting."

"There was no complaint. Everyone saw we just had to lump it…"

"An expert operator…forgot his own part in the procedure. In his astonishment he pushed the control lever well off to the left and held it there. The rocket obediently kept turning to the left, and by the time the operator had pulled himself together it was out of control range and heading for Sweden. There it fell."

"Communism raised its head behind the thundering Russian battlefront. Russia was the Deliverer, and Communism the gospel she brought."

"When the Russians entered the city three months later they found little but shattered streets and the unburied dead. Such was their liberation of Poland, where they now rule."

"We lunched in a tent looking towards the enemy. The General was in the highest spirits. I asked him how far away was the actual front. He said about three miles. I asked him if he had a continuous line. He said, ‘No.’ ‘What is there then to prevent an incursion of German armour breaking up our luncheon?’ He said he did not think they would come. The staff told me the chateau had been heavily bombed the night before, and certainly there were a good many craters around it."

St. Troy
02-20-2018, 09:43 AM
A quick one:

On Saturday, I finished a book I began on Thursday: The Boy In The Striped Pajamas by John Boyne.

Told from the POV of a 9-year-old son of a Nazi officer in 1943. The tone is light, because the boy doesn't know much about what is going on around him, but the atmosphere is heavy, because the reader does.

This is so short (218 pgs), I feel that anything I might say about it would be a spoiler, but suffice it to say that while I enjoyed and can recommend it, it leaves a cloud hanging over you (as you might expect).

St. Troy
02-20-2018, 09:45 AM
Just started J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy.

As with many others out there, this is the first non-Potter thing of hers I've read.

So far (65 pages in), it's what I was told to expect: a decent and enjoyable read that is neither excellent nor noteworthy in any way.

TravelinJack
02-20-2018, 12:39 PM
Just started the, ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ series by GRRM. I don’t know why I put this off for so long. Instantly entranced.

jsmcmullen92
02-20-2018, 06:15 PM
I'm in the middle of 3 right now.
Sanderson's white sand 2
Sanderson's way of kings
And
Kings On Writing

Joe315
02-20-2018, 08:20 PM

As with many others out there, this is the first non-Potter thing of hers I've read.

So far (65 pages in), it's what I was told to expect: a decent and enjoyable read that is neither excellent nor noteworthy in any way.

I’m surprised you got that far.

St. Troy
02-21-2018, 06:58 AM

That rough, eh?

Did you try the Cormoran Strike series? I've heard that is much better than TCV.

WeDealInLead
02-21-2018, 07:02 AM
The Strike books have actual plots. They're perfectly serviceable beach reading but that's it.

Ben Mears
02-21-2018, 07:10 AM
Did you try the Cormoran Strike series?

I enjoyed the Cormoran Strike series. Quirky and entertaining.

Jean
02-22-2018, 12:00 AM
bearhead still not working properly, bears have downloaded all horror short stories anthologies they could lay their paws on (various Best Horror of the Year, Mammoth Books of Horror and such like). Reading now. It's bliss. Can't imagine anything more entertaining and relaxing.

WeDealInLead
02-23-2018, 07:08 AM
Just finished Strange Highways by Koontz. Some really good stories in this collection, and some are Christian fiction through and through. I've said this before -- possibly worded differently but the idea was the same -- Koontz comes across as someone who barely leaves his McMansion while constantly judging others' ambitions and their "failings" at modesty. I've never seen anyone misjudge people at such a degree; his idea of what people are like couldn't be any further from my experience. It's like this: King makes poverty and blue collar Joes believable; Koontz writes them as if he did research on them, you know? The suffering doesn't seem legit.

Still, good stories and I guess that's what matters. If you ever feel like King's bleeding heart is too much, try this collection to wash out the copper taste of liberalism.

Ben Mears
02-23-2018, 09:29 AM
If you ever feel like King's bleeding heart is too much, try this collection to wash out the copper taste of liberalism.

I've never read anything by Koontz but your statement, which made me laugh, has inspired me to give him a try.

Brian861
02-23-2018, 07:11 PM
Just finished Strange Highways by Koontz. Some really good stories in this collection, and some are Christian fiction through and through. I've said this before -- possibly worded differently but the idea was the same -- Koontz comes across as someone who barely leaves his McMansion while constantly judging others' ambitions and their "failings" at modesty. I've never seen anyone misjudge people at such a degree; his idea of what people are like couldn't be any further from my experience. It's like this: King makes poverty and blue collar Joes believable; Koontz writes them as if he did research on them, you know? The suffering doesn't seem legit.

Still, good stories and I guess that's what matters. If you ever feel like King's bleeding heart is too much, try this collection to wash out the copper taste of liberalism.

Have never read Koontz either so not sure of his background. King makes if believable because at one time, he was one of those Joes.

Ricky
02-23-2018, 07:47 PM
I've read some Koontz (Tick Tock, 77 Shadow Street, Lightning, Phantoms, and a couple I might be forgetting) and generally like him, but kind of feel like he's Stephen King lite. It's been a few years since I've read him, but I seem to remember feeling like he's characters weren't completely three-dimensional.

Finished up Bird Box and just started Strange Weather last night.

Brian861
02-23-2018, 08:00 PM
I've read some Koontz (Tick Tock, 77 Shadow Street, Lightning, Phantoms, and a couple I might be forgetting) and generally like him, but kind of feel like he's Stephen King lite. It's been a few years since I've read him, but I seem to remember feeling like he's characters weren't completely three-dimensional.

I loved the first two stories in SW, the third was a complete miss for me, and the last one was so-so but I started to like it more towards the end. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts once you're done.

Joe315
02-23-2018, 11:01 PM

That rough, eh?

Did you try the Cormoran Strike series? I've heard that is much better than TCV.

Those I like. Read the first two.

craigobau
02-24-2018, 05:32 AM

I loved the first two stories in SW, the third was a complete miss for me, and the last one was so-so but I started to like it more towards the end. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts once you're done.

I also enjoyed the first two stories in SW more than the latter two which i thought had good underlying concepts, but the end result didn't really fulfil the concept.

Other than 20th Century Ghosts, I think Joe's stories have been "good, but not great".

Locke & Key, on the other hand, is outstanding and I really hope he revisits the story in the future.

Brian861
02-24-2018, 02:02 PM
I also enjoyed the first two stories in SW more than the latter two which i thought had good underlying concepts, but the end result didn't really fulfil the concept.

Other than 20th Century Ghosts, I think Joe's stories have been "good, but not great".

Locke & Key, on the other hand, is outstanding and I really hope he revisits the story in the future.

IMO, Snapshot and Loaded are two of his best stories to date. Completely agree about Locke & Key although I'm not sure how I feel about a revisit. I think it's near perfect as it sits.

WeDealInLead
03-01-2018, 08:28 PM
Just finished Jupiter Project by Gregory Benford in a single day. I needed a quick 200-pager after three door stoppers last month.

Currently reading The Iron Tactician by Alastair Reynolds.

peripheral
03-03-2018, 01:42 PM
Vandermeer's "Southern Reach" Trilogy. Book 1 was great. Book 2 and 3 were two of the most boring books I've ever read. Ever. Read S.T. Joshi's review of this on is blog - I think it's spot on.

(I have this rule of finishing books / series, that I start. This trilogy has made me revise that rule).

Brian861
03-04-2018, 07:24 AM
Vandermeer's "Southern Reach" Trilogy. Book 1 was great. Book 2 and 3 were two of the most boring books I've ever read. Ever. Read S.T. Joshi's review of this on is blog - I think it's spot on.

(I have this rule of finishing books / series, that I start. This trilogy has made me revise that rule).

Safe to say you haven't placed an order with CD then :)

TravelinJack
03-04-2018, 08:40 AM

Bummer to hear. Still need to give the first one a read. Never good when a trilogy is strong by 1.

Heather19
03-04-2018, 10:27 AM

I agree. Loved the first. The good thing is you can read the first and just leave it as a standalone book. The last two aren't necessary to enjoy the first.

TravelinJack
03-04-2018, 01:23 PM

I agree. Loved the first. The good thing is you can read the first and just leave it as a standalone book. The last two aren't necessary to enjoy the first.

That is good to hear. Will probably go that route. Too many books to read.

WeDealInLead
03-04-2018, 01:32 PM
That trilogy made my short list but after seeing the negative reviews, I'll just watch the movie instead.

jsmcmullen92
03-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Just finished the 1000 pages of The way of kings. It was great bit I need a smaller easy read for a day or so.
I picked up miss perrigrines school for peculiar children

Lookwhoitis
03-05-2018, 02:46 AM
i'm always amazed at folks who will decide whether or not to read something based upon another's comments on a message boards.

Different strokes for different folks, i guess.

TravelinJack
03-05-2018, 06:07 AM
It’s nice to hear others opinions and those that seem to have the same taste in books. However, I agree it can always be something you can like when others don’t. With so many books to read, I pretty much stick to the first 25 pages. Sometimes less, but I like to give books a chance if they come recommended. If I’m not drawn in by then, I move to the next. Forcing yourself through a book is never fun.

I was doing the ol’ literary agent ‘the four firsts’ method for a while, but that seemed too agressive and not giving the author a good enough shot.

I enjoy reading feedback and goodreads reviews and scores. Kinda gives me a rough starting point as to the ‘order’ in which I stack my ‘to read’ list.

Bev Vincent
03-05-2018, 07:12 AM
I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara

Hunchback Jack
03-05-2018, 07:32 AM
I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara

Oh, that is on my must-read list! How is it so far, Bev?

Bev Vincent
03-05-2018, 07:41 AM

Oh, that is on my must-read list! How is it so far, Bev?

Really good -- she's an excellent writer, and it's as much about her quest as it is about the mystery itself.

webstar1000
03-05-2018, 07:41 AM
Just started American Gods. Ok so far... good book throughout for those of you that read it?

biomieg
03-05-2018, 08:08 AM
I thought it was okay but at the same time it made me decide not to invest too much time in reading Gaiman. But that's strictly my opinion, I know many people love the guy!

TravelinJack
03-05-2018, 12:38 PM
American Gods was an interesting one for me. Overall I thought it was a good book, but there are parts, mainly historical flashbacks, that seemed distracting to me and I found myself skimming at times. Which didn’t detract from the story. I have always felt that had those parts been cut it would have been a much better read. It’s a good story for post reading discussion.

WeDealInLead
03-07-2018, 08:36 AM
i'm always amazed at folks who will decide whether or not to read something based upon another's comments on a message boards.

Different strokes for different folks, i guess.

Isn't that the point of reviews though? I trust the judgement of people on here. Over the years I've become familiar with certain people's literary taste, and I value their input. On the flipside, some books I run away from because people whose taste is at odds with my own have recommended them.

William F. Nolan - Dark Universe

St. Troy
03-07-2018, 08:58 AM
Finished J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy a few days ago.

I guess you could call it a "small town story," the kind where everyone knows everyone else, gossip is mean, everyone is critical and no one is perfect.

Having read this, I'm not in a hurry to find similar works by other authors, but if JK did a sequel, I'd look forward to reading it. I did enjoy it.

Just before this, I read The Boy In The Striped Pajamas, and now I am ready to read something that...

...doesn't end with the troubling death of young children. And the deaths here came as surprises; I immediately thought "if King had written this, we'd have had 6 - 8 tipoffs that it was coming."

St. Troy
03-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Recently started J.K. Rowling's The Cuckoo's Calling (I plan to read the full Cormoran Strike trilogy without break); I'm now about 100 pages in.

The feedback I've gotten from everyone who's read The Casual Vacancy and the Cormoran Strike trilogy was unanimous that the trilogy was much better, but so far, I can't agree. While TCC has been very focused in a way that The Casual Vacancy wasn't, the two main characters seem mighty cliched - like what you might expect from a children's author attempting to write for adults (having read TCV first, I can't say that's what's going on; TCV was populated with individuals I feel as if I know personally).

I said I will be reading the full trilogy...but since the entire trilogy is based around one of the characters I (so far) find to be cliched, I suppose it's possible I will tire of him and have to bail out. Given how much I loved Potter and how deep TCV ended up being (and given how angry my daughter will be if I do bail), I suppose I will stick it out and give JK the benefit of the doubt. We'll see.

Speaking of bailing out (and I think this has come up here recently), I don't think I've ever stopped reading a book. I came close with Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas; I think I was 22 pages in when I seriously considered walking away. I'm glad I didn't, but I can't say OT was better than just okay, and anything it did well just felt wasted by all the things it didn't do well.

WeDealInLead
03-12-2018, 05:11 AM
I'll sometimes pick a theme and run with it for an entire month. March is "books originally not published in English" for graphic novels, and science fiction for books.

I have a few things on the go right now:

Collected PKD Vol. 3 - one story a day
Arthur C. Clarke - A Fall of Moondust - main read
Ted Chiang - Stories of Your Life and Others - at work

Starkraven7
03-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Still working my way through Stephanie Meye's new one called The Chemist. Pretty good but I keep getting lost in the weeds.

Girlystevedave
03-13-2018, 07:52 AM

You know, I've had this one on waiting on my shelf for a while. Let me know what you end up thinking of it.

WeDealInLead
03-18-2018, 04:24 AM
A couple of stinkers in it but overall very enjoyable. Chiang writes with heart, it's not just hard science fiction.

Father Cody
03-18-2018, 05:31 AM
The Stand, 1984 by George Orwell, and The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (which I think can really complement The Stand if you imagine Flagg as being Uncle Screwtape).

Ben Mears
03-18-2018, 05:43 AM
Finished J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy a few days ago.

I guess you could call it a "small town story," the kind where everyone knows everyone else, gossip is mean, everyone is critical and no one is perfect.

Having read this, I'm not in a hurry to find similar works by other authors, but if JK did a sequel, I'd look forward to reading it. I did enjoy it.

Just finished The Casual Vacancy and thought it was pretty good. Rowling's peeling back the surface of small town relationships and inner workings brought to mind 'Salem's Lot, Needful Things and Peyton Place. I too would read a sequel.

Jean
03-19-2018, 02:41 AM
Just finished The Casual Vacancy and thought it was pretty good.very good news for bears. I was afraid I was the only one to have liked it. I was a little disappointed by the overdramatic ending, but otherwise found it very enjoyable.

St. Troy
03-19-2018, 04:53 AM
I was a little disappointed by the overdramatic ending, but otherwise found it very enjoyable.

The ending certainly was dramatic, but I found it a suitable and sensible depiction of the consequences of the combination of apathy and nosiness the novel was all about.

WeDealInLead
03-27-2018, 12:13 PM

You know, I've had this one on waiting on my shelf for a while. Let me know what you end up thinking of it.

I posted a review of this but the post seems to have vanished. I'll just say it wasn't all that as a collection but the title story is a masterpiece.

Reading: Upon the Dull Earth, collected PKD 3.
Clifford D. Simak - All Flesh Is Grass

Girlystevedave
03-28-2018, 07:44 AM

I posted a review of this but the post seems to have vanished. I'll just say it wasn't all that as a collection but the title story is a masterpiece.

Reading: Upon the Dull Earth, collected PKD 3.
Clifford D. Simak - All Flesh Is Grass

The site went a bit wonky there for a bit. :lol:

Thanks for the feedback. I hope to get around to it soon. I remember reading the first few pages at some point, but may not have been in complete reading mode at the time so it didn't grab me. But I didn't give up on it altogether.

Ben Mears
03-30-2018, 10:10 AM
Recently read: Jackrabbit Smile (very good) by Joe Lansdale, The Casual Vacancy (good) by JK Rowling, Magpie Murders (good) by Anthony Horowitz, The Wanted (average) by Robert Crais, Don't Let Go (below average) by Harlan Coben. Looking forward John Sandford's latest, Twisted Prey, which will be out in a few weeks.

TravelinJack
03-30-2018, 05:34 PM
Recently read: Jackrabbit Smile (very good) by Joe Lansdale, Magpie Murders (good) by Anthony Horowitz, The Wanted (average) by Robert Crais, Don't Let Go (below average) by Harlan Coben. Looking forward John Sandford's latest, Twisted Prey, which will be out in a few weeks.

I want to read Jackrabbit Smile. I’ve recently begun Reading Joe Lansdale, so far so good. I read Don’t Let Go by Coben. Was disapointed with it too, I usually like his work and was surprised with that one.

Father Cody
03-30-2018, 06:48 PM
Do we have a thread or place where we can exchange Goodreads usernames? I’d sure like to connect with you fellow Constant Readers and see what else you’ve read.

Ben Mears
03-31-2018, 09:49 AM
Recently read: Jackrabbit Smile (very good) by Joe Lansdale, Magpie Murders (good) by Anthony Horowitz, The Wanted (average) by Robert Crais, Don't Let Go (below average) by Harlan Coben. Looking forward John Sandford's latest, Twisted Prey, which will be out in a few weeks.

I want to read Jackrabbit Smile. I’ve recently begun Reading Joe Lansdale, so far so good. I read Don’t Let Go by Coben. Was disapointed with it too, I usually like his work and was surprised with that one.

Hope you enjoy your Joe Lansdale experience. He's a versatile and talented author.

WeDealInLead
04-03-2018, 01:17 PM
I found a nice first edition of The Terror in Detroit this past weekend so that's what I'm reading right now.

Hunchback Jack
04-03-2018, 01:22 PM
I'm currently listening to Identical by Scott Turow.

I really like Turow. His characters are flawed in realistic and interesting ways.

Heather19
04-03-2018, 02:35 PM
I found a nice first edition of The Terror in Detroit this past weekend so that's what I'm reading right now.

:thumbsup: I just finished my re-read. Is this your first time reading it?

WeDealInLead
04-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Yes, I heard it's one of his best plus the TV show gave me extra motivation to finally read it.

Heather19
04-03-2018, 05:04 PM
Yes, I heard it's one of his best plus the TV show gave me extra motivation to finally read it.

It's one of my all-time favorites, I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think.

TravelinJack
04-03-2018, 05:30 PM

It's one of my all-time favorites, I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think.

Need to read Terror as well. With Summer of Night being up there for me, will be interesting to see how much I like Terror.

Heather19
04-04-2018, 04:49 AM

Need to read Terror as well. With Summer of Night being up there for me, will be interesting to see how much I like Terror.

Summer of Night is my other favorite of his. They're very different books though.

TravelinJack
04-10-2018, 05:08 PM
I just finished ‘The Listener’ by Robert McCamman. My oh my was this a great book. Such an enjoyable read. Even though it was a different story, it had that Boy’s Life feel to it. This one was a 5 star for me. If you like McCammon, I highly recommend. If you’ve never read McCammon, give it a shot.

Father Cody
04-10-2018, 05:14 PM
I just finished ‘The Listener’ by Robert McCamman. My oh my was this a great book. Such an enjoyable read. Even though it was a different story, it had that Boy’s Life feel to it. This one was a 5 star for me. If you like McCammon, I highly recommend. If you’ve never read McCammon, give it a shot.

Coincidentally I read a few samples of his today and knew immediately he’s an author I’ll enjoy. Planning on starting with either Swan Song or the Matthew Corbett series.

TravelinJack
04-10-2018, 05:35 PM

Coincidentally I read a few samples of his today and knew immediately he’s an author I’ll enjoy. Planning on starting with either Swan Song or the Matthew Corbett series.

I always recommend Boy’s Life as a first read for McCammon. Now, it’s that or The Listener.

Father Cody
04-10-2018, 08:24 PM

I always recommend Boy’s Life as a first read for McCammon. Now, it’s that or The Listener.

Interesting. Well, I’m not dead set on starting with the ones I mentioned so I’ll give Boy’s Life a read first. Thanks.

Tommy
04-11-2018, 12:59 AM
The Devil in the White City

Heather19
04-11-2018, 04:58 AM
The Devil in the White City

Read this last summer. Really enjoyed the portions about H.H. Holmes. He was a scary guy. Can't believe he was able to get away with everything he did.

webstar1000
04-11-2018, 05:08 AM
Looking for a GREAT read.... something that someone would love to show me. I was begged last night to read Into Thin Air but that will take a few days... thanks all.

WeDealInLead
04-11-2018, 05:47 AM
The Bird Box - Malerman
White and Other Tales of Ruin - Tim Lebbon. Similar to stories in Night Shift.
Clive Barker - The Hellbound Heart

If you're a fan of short stories and novellas, check out Kealan Patrick Burke, John R. Little, Brian Hodge and Tom Piccirilli. They've all published with CD and the e-books are dirt cheap.

webstar1000
04-11-2018, 05:48 AM
The Bird Box - Malerman
White and Other Tales of Ruin - Tim Lebbon. Similar to stories in Night Shift.
Clive Barker - The Hellbound Heart

If you're a fan of short stories and novellas, check out Kealan Patrick Burke, John R. Little, Brian Hodge and Tom Piccirilli. They've all published with CD and the e-books are dirt cheap.

Bird Box I am in for sure... thanks my Canadian friend!

jsmcmullen92
04-11-2018, 05:55 AM
Looking for a GREAT read.... something that someone would love to show me. I was begged last night to read Into Thin Air but that will take a few days... thanks all.

Sci-fi/Fantasy: Really anything by Brandon Sanderson. I would start with Mistborn or Elantris
Horror: Horns, Joe Hill
Quick fun read: Ready Player One, Ernest Cline
Graphic Novel: Locke and Key, Hill or From Hell, Alan Moore

TravelinJack
04-11-2018, 06:14 AM
I second Bird Box, great short read. Same with RPO, a fun read as well.

Heather19
04-11-2018, 06:25 AM

I really enjoyed Into Thin Air. I'll third Bird Box. And recommend A Headfull of Ghosts if you have yet to read that one.

Heather19
04-11-2018, 06:53 AM
Finally got ahold of the audiobook of Sleeping Beauties from the library. I attempted to start to read it but struggled a bit so decided to wait for the audio version. Not really a fan of the narrator they chose, but she's not horrible so I can deal with that. The story however, is moving so slowly, and there's so many people to keep track of. And I'm not really feeling any connection with any of them yet, which is kinda weird for a King book. I'm a little more than a third of the way through, and there's still a ton of women awake? Based on the synopsis I was thinking they'd be wiped out from the get go, but I guess not. I really hope the story picks up soon.

Father Cody
04-11-2018, 06:54 AM
Scream Quietly: The Best of Charles L. Grant. My first experience with this author and I can’t put it down.

WeDealInLead
04-11-2018, 06:56 AM
Grant is a master. Check out his Oxrun novels.

TravelinJack
04-11-2018, 06:57 AM
Finally got ahold of the audiobook of Sleeping Beauties from the library. I attempted to start to read it but struggled a bit so decided to wait for the audio version. Not really a fan of the narrator they chose, but she's not horrible so I can deal with that. The story however, is moving so slowly, and there's so many people to keep track of. And I'm not really feeling any connection with any of them yet, which is kinda weird for a King book. I'm a little more than a third of the way through, and there's still a ton of women awake? Based on the synopsis I was thinking they'd be wiped out from the get go, but I guess not. I really hope the story picks up soon.

This was a drag of a story for me. Curious what you think when you finish it.

Heather19
04-11-2018, 06:59 AM

This was a drag of a story for me. Curious what you think when you finish it.

I have a pretty strong feeling that I'm not gonna be a fan unless the book drastically changes. And the premise sounded so intriguing to me. It's a bit of a letdown so far.

Father Cody
04-11-2018, 07:06 AM
Grant is a master. Check out his Oxrun novels.

That’s up next! Maybe I just haven’t been paying attention or looking in the right places but I’m surprised to not see his name mentioned along with the greats like King more often. I hear he’s always been very underrated, but I’m just surprised by how much.

Girlystevedave
04-12-2018, 10:12 AM

Interesting. Well, I’m not dead set on starting with the ones I mentioned so I’ll give Boy’s Life a read first. Thanks.

Boy's Life for sure. :D
And then come in here and post all your feelings about it. haha

Also, I really enjoyed the first Matthew Corbett book.

Father Cody
04-12-2018, 10:50 AM

Haha will do. Not too pleased with the rest of the Corbett books or just haven’t read them?

Girlystevedave
04-12-2018, 11:00 AM

Haha will do. Not too pleased with the rest of the Corbett books or just haven’t read them?

I just didn't get around to them yet. They're on my mental to-read list though.

TravelinJack
04-12-2018, 11:16 AM

Gotta add Listener to that mental list! Maybe even on the short list. Why? Because... Snootch to the Nootch! Need I say more? :)

Father Cody
04-12-2018, 11:18 AM

Gotta add Listener to that mental list! Maybe even on the short list. Why? Because... Snootch to the Nootch! Need I say more? :)

Are Jay and Silent Bob in it or something? :lol:

Girlystevedave
04-12-2018, 11:28 AM

:lol:

I mean, I guess I can't argue with that reasoning. haha

Girlystevedave
04-12-2018, 11:29 AM

Can you imagine them popping up out of nowhere in a serious book? haha

Father Cody
04-12-2018, 11:41 AM

Haha it would earn an extra star if I was book critic. :lol:

Heather19
04-12-2018, 01:09 PM

That would be awesome :lol:

Hunchback Jack
04-12-2018, 02:33 PM
I second the Corbett books. Speaks the Nightbird was the first McCammon I read, and from the first couple of chapters, it was clear to me that he can *write*. I finished the series to date, and I'm now making my way through his older works. (Just finished Mystery Walk; About to start Usher's Passing).

The audio for the Corbett books are outstanding, by the way. Highly recommend them.

HBJ

Girlystevedave
04-13-2018, 04:59 AM
I second the Corbett books. Speaks the Nightbird was the first McCammon I read, and from the first couple of chapters, it was clear to me that he can *write*. I finished the series to date, and I'm now making my way through his older works. (Just finished Mystery Walk; About to start Usher's Passing).

The audio for the Corbett books are outstanding, by the way. Highly recommend them.

HBJ

He can definitely write. I was pretty sucked into the first Matthew Corbett book so quickly that it didn't click with me immediately just how impressive it is that he is able to switch his writing style over to something with such a historical fiction feel.
Have you read Boy's Life yet?

frik
04-13-2018, 06:36 AM
Speaking of McCammon - reading The Listener and loving it! I was so terribly disappointed with his previous novel, The Border, right from the very first sentence: The Boy who was running ran into the rain. This sentence turned me right off and I didn't recover.
But now, the Listener. Almost halfways and it might end up very near the top of my all-time McCammon favorites: Boy's Life and Speaks the Nightbird. The first will always be my #1, I think, just like no other novel will ever dethrone my #1 King favorite, The Stand. And Speaks the Nightbird is a fantastic, awe-inspiring introduction to the Matthew Corbett series. Unfortunately (??), it's still my favorite of the series and I doubt McCammon will do better (within this series.)

sk

Girlystevedave
04-13-2018, 06:43 AM
Speaking of McCammon - reading The Listener and loving it! I was so terribly disappointed with his previous novel, The Border, right from the very first sentence: The Boy who was running ran into the rain. This sentence turned me right off and I didn't recover.
But now, the Listener. Almost halfways and it might end up very near the top of my all-time McCammon favorites: Boy's Life and Speaks the Nightbird. The first will always be my #1, I think, just like no other novel will ever dethrone my #1 King favorite, The Stand. And Speaks the Nightbird is a fantastic, awe-inspiring introduction to the Matthew Corbett series. Unfortunately (??), it's still my favorite of the series and I doubt McCammon will do better (within this series.)

sk

Wow, that's great to hear about The Listener. I look forward to reading it.

Also, that line from The Border. Wtf?! :lol: I can see how that would ruin things for you.

Father Cody
04-13-2018, 06:55 AM
But now, the Listener. Almost halfways and it might end up very near the top of my all-time McCammon favorites: Boy's Life and Speaks the Nightbird.

I’m still kicking myself for not ordering it when I got the email from CD. There was even some they “found in warehouse” that I also passed on. Oh well, I just started collecting McCammon (thanks to you!) and there’s plenty of time to add The Listener. I’m just happy there’s so much greatness by him to read!

Edit: fixed typo in the author’s name :doh:

TravelinJack
04-13-2018, 11:56 AM

sk

Yep, Listener just jumped to #2 for me for McCammon. Boy’s Life being number one. If you liked/loved Boy’s Life you will likely the same for the Listener and vice versa. He’s back to that simplistic extravegance that is really tough to pull off.

WeDealInLead
04-13-2018, 04:50 PM
Reading: The Shape of Water by GDT. It's pretty good. It's not as good as The Strain but I'm entertained. Also reading The Terror.

jsmcmullen92
04-13-2018, 08:27 PM
Reading: The Shape of Water by GDT. It's pretty good. It's not as good as The Strain but I'm entertained. Also reading The Terror.Really? I found The Strain quite dull. I didn't like the writing style. Felt very choppy

Hunchback Jack
04-13-2018, 08:33 PM

No, I still have that to look forward to.

I tend to listen to audiobooks, so I haven't listened to them in strict publication order. But I have read all up to and including Mystery Walk, and also Swan Song and Stinger. And all the Corbett books. I haven't read any of the non-Corbett modern novels yet.

HBJ

Girlystevedave
04-14-2018, 04:48 AM

No, I still have that to look forward to.

Indeed you do! It's a wonderful book. :)

webstar1000
04-14-2018, 07:59 AM
So the Listener Is good guys?

WeDealInLead
04-15-2018, 11:11 AM
Finished Ghoul by Brian Keene. Started The Kill Riff by David J. Schow.

Father Cody
04-17-2018, 07:27 AM
Just finished The Manitou by Graham Masterton. Man, that was a fun read.

TravelinJack
04-18-2018, 06:23 PM
Reading ‘Savage Season’ by Joe R Lansdale. My first Hap & Leonard read, so I figured I’d start at the beginning. Interesting so far. Not what I expected, but I’m enjoying it.

Just before starting Savage Season I finished ‘61’ by Lee Child. I enjoyed it, but the early Reacher books stood out more. I, much like the Travis McGee books, still like the genre.

Going to read Unbury Carol next.

BigJoeHillfan
04-18-2018, 06:55 PM
Just finished reading Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. :thumbsup: One of the best horror books I have read in years!! I put it up there with the 1980's King. Just started Children of Night which is the sequel to Summer of Night. Not as good so far but getting better.

TravelinJack
04-19-2018, 03:20 AM
Just finished reading Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. :thumbsup: One of the best horror books I have read in years!! I put it up there with the 1980's King. Just started Children of Night which is the sequel to Summer of Night. Not as good so far but getting better.

Summer of Night is excellent. Glad you liked it. It’s a top story for me as well. Keep us posted on how Children of Night turns out. I’ve got that on the ‘to read’ list.

Ben Mears
04-19-2018, 03:52 AM

Summer of Night is one of my all-time favorites. Although Dan Simmons denies it, SON was clearly influenced by IT. A Winter Haunting is the sequel to SON. Children of the Night features a major character from SON but wasn't written as a sequel.

Heather19
04-19-2018, 04:51 AM
Add me to the list of those that loved Summer of Night. One of my favorites. It definitely had an It vibe to me as well. Still need to read Children of Night, let us know how you like it.

BigJoeHillfan
04-19-2018, 07:38 AM

Summer of Night is one of my all-time favorites. Although Dan Simmons denies it, SON was clearly influenced by IT. A Winter Haunting is the sequel to SON. Children of the Night features a major character from SON but wasn't written as a sequel.

Yes I was mistaken when I said it was a sequel to SON. They mention the other boy's from SON but the only character with a real role is Mike O'Rourke. I am about half way through and it is getting pretty good. The first part had a lot of really detailed medical descriptions, while probably being well researched and correct, were far above my head as far as understanding. I will let you know what my final verdict is on the book when I finish.

Hunchback Jack
04-19-2018, 08:07 AM
Summer of Night is a wonderful book. I also liked Children of the Night, which is a very different book, but does have a couple of characters from SON.

Other books with adult SON characters include Fires of Eden and A Winter Haunting. I didn't care for the first and have not yet read the second.

Right now, I'm reading The Spy Who Came In from the Cold, by John Le Carré. What can I say, it's the quintessential Cold War espionage novel. Chilling, but wonderful.

webstar1000
04-19-2018, 08:30 AM

I loved a Winter Haunting and the site you suggested for the follow up.

Ben Mears
04-19-2018, 12:38 PM

I was going to post the link for Watching The Presidential Debate in Elm Haven but is no longer on the Dan Simmons website. It is an excellent coda to Summer Of Night.

BigJoeHillfan
04-19-2018, 02:08 PM

I was going to post the link for Watching The Presidential Debate in Elm Haven but is no longer on the Dan Simmons website. It is an excellent coda to Summer Of Night.

Is that a short story Dan wrote? Was it ever printed anywhere? Sounds cool.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-19-2018, 08:30 PM
I just read Cheeseboy by Graham Masterton. It is the first of his works I’ve read, and I must say it is one of the most bizarre stories I’ve ever read. Has anyone else read this yet?

Ben Mears
04-20-2018, 04:15 AM

I was able to locate the link on the Dan Simmons website for Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven. It was a two part segment in the & November Message From Dan section:

Part 1 https://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2008_10.html.
Part 2 https://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2008_11.html.

Dan also published a chapbook titled Banished Dreams that included dream sequences for Mike O'Rourke, Dale Stewart, Lawrence Stewart and Kevin Grumbacher that were cut from the published version of Summer Of Night. I believe that Sub Press really messed up by not including both Banished Dreams and Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven as bonus content in their limited edition of Summer Of Night.

BigJoeHillfan
04-20-2018, 07:05 AM

I was able to locate the link on the Dan Simmons website for Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven. It was a two part segment in the & November Message From Dan section:

Dan also published a chapbook titled Banished Dreams that included dream sequences for Mike O'Rourke, Dale Stewart, Lawrence Stewart and Kevin Grumbacher that were cut from the published version of Summer Of Night. I believe that Sub Press really messed up by not including both Banished Dreams and Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven as bonus content in their limited edition of Summer Of Night.

Thanks Ben!
Would reading it before I read Winter Haunting mess anything up?

webstar1000
04-20-2018, 07:44 AM

Thanks Ben!

no

Ben Mears
04-20-2018, 07:48 AM

Thanks Ben!

It was written several years after A Winter Haunting was published so it does contain some references to AWH in the section featuring Dale Stewart which is in Part 1 of Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven.

Heather19
04-20-2018, 09:23 AM
Am I the only one that didn't care for A Winter Haunting?

Brian861
04-20-2018, 01:11 PM
I just read Cheeseboy by Graham Masterton. It is the first of his works I’ve read, and I must say it is one of the most bizarre stories I’ve ever read. Has anyone else read this yet?

I have it as I collect the series but haven't read it yet. Do you recommend reading it or no?

Father Cody
04-20-2018, 02:05 PM
The Rats by James Herbert

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-20-2018, 04:41 PM

I have it as I collect the series but haven't read it yet. Do you recommend reading it or no?

It’s worth the 30-45 minutes it takes to read it. I gave it a 4/5. Horrific for sure. Don’t really get all the British slang, but it’s good.

BigJoeHillfan
04-21-2018, 06:47 AM

Thanks Ben!

It was written several years after A Winter Haunting was published so it does contain some references to AWH in the section featuring Dale Stewart which is in Part 1 of Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven.

Thanks Ben. I think I will wait until I read A Winter Haunting until I read it. It is next on my list after Children of night.

Brice
04-21-2018, 02:55 PM
I'm re-reading Sometimes A Great Notion by Ken Kesey

BigJoeHillfan
04-23-2018, 08:58 AM
Well I finished Children of Night last night and really liked it. Like I said before the first half is good but has a huge amount of technical medical explanation which went overboard in my opinion. The rest of the book was really cool. It had action, suspense, a little romance. Not as good as SON but good.
I am now starting A Winter Haunting. Hope it is as good.:cool:

Father Cody
04-23-2018, 09:04 AM
Just started The Terror by Dan Simmons. Man, I really have to check out A Winter Haunting. Maybe in six months when I finish The Terror.

BigJoeHillfan
04-23-2018, 12:34 PM
Just started The Terror by Dan Simmons. Man, I really have to check out A Winter Haunting. Maybe in six months when I finish The Terror.

:emot-roflolmao: I have not read the Terror yet but is on my list! It is a long book. You will have to let me know what you think of it.

Heather19
04-23-2018, 02:15 PM
The first time I read The Terror, I think I devoured it in less than a week. Same thing happened the first time I read It. I couldn't put them down. My re-reads however took a bit longer. I'll be curious what you guys think of A Winter Haunting.

Father Cody
04-23-2018, 03:39 PM

:emot-roflolmao: I have not read the Terror yet but is on my list! It is a long book. You will have to let me know what you think of it.

I’ll definitely let you know! It took about 60 pages or so before I got hooked but I’m really into it now. That seems to be the consensus, that it’s a creeper and starts off slow but then blows you away.

Father Cody
04-23-2018, 03:44 PM
The first time I read The Terror, I think I devoured it in less than a week. Same thing happened the first time I read It. I couldn't put them down. My re-reads however took a bit longer. I'll be curious what you guys think of A Winter Haunting.

Now that’s impressive. If I could take a week off to read it, and believe me I would, maybe. I’m a pretty slow reader as it is though. I’ll definitely post back here when I get through A Winter Haunting to let you know!

biomieg
04-24-2018, 01:22 AM
You guys reminded me that I still have a few Simmons' books on my TBR pile.. thanks!

Another great Simmons read (IMO) is The Hollow Man. It's very different from The Terror or Summer of Night or any of his SF or 'hard-boiled' novels. He is such a diverse author.

Heather19
04-24-2018, 04:54 AM
He definitely is. Just based on the handful of books I've read of his, they are pretty diverse. Has anyone here read The Abominable? Read that one last winter. It wasn't nearly as good as The Terror, but still enjoyable.

biomieg
04-24-2018, 06:07 AM
Yes, I read it. I agree with your assessment :)

Father Cody
04-24-2018, 06:17 AM
And my reading list keeps on growing...

Ben Mears
04-24-2018, 09:51 AM
...I'll be curious what you guys think of A Winter Haunting.

A Winter Haunting was a completely different reading experience from Summer Of Night. It wasn't intended to be a direct sequel to SON and if read in that light it is a decent story but not nearly as enjoyable.

Ben Mears
04-24-2018, 09:53 AM
You guys reminded me that I still have a few Simmons' books on my TBR pile.. thanks!

Another great Simmons read (IMO) is The Hollow Man.

+1

Ben Mears
04-24-2018, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE=BigJoeHillfan;1105943]Well I finished Children of Night...but has a huge amount of technical medical explanation which went overboard in my opinion.QUOTE]

Mr. Simmons tends to be a bit too thorough with his scientific explanations. Often times I would prefer he subscribe to the less is more theory.

Heather19
04-24-2018, 10:44 AM

A Winter Haunting was a completely different reading experience from Summer Of Night. It wasn't intended to be a direct sequel to SON and if read in that light it is a decent story but not nearly as enjoyable.

I've read it before, probably not too long after Summer of Night and hated it. It was very different, and there were a few directions he went with the characters in that I really didn't like. I wonder if I had waited longer so Summer of Night wasn't so fresh in my mind if I would have enjoyed it more.

Father Cody
04-24-2018, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=BigJoeHillfan;1105943]Well I finished Children of Night...but has a huge amount of technical medical explanation which went overboard in my opinion.QUOTE]

Mr. Simmons tends to be a bit too thorough with his scientific explanations. Often times I would prefer he subscribe to the less is more theory.

But would he then possibly not stumble across language like this?

“Avast that, God-damn your blind eyes, you fucking lubbing idle-brained shit-for-wits idiot!”

Because that would be unfortunate. :lol:

Ben Mears
04-24-2018, 11:24 AM

I've read it before, probably not too long after Summer of Night and hated it. It was very different, and there were a few directions he went with the characters in that I really didn't like. I wonder if I had waited longer so Summer of Night wasn't so fresh in my mind if I would have enjoyed it more.

Not sure if the timing would have made a difference. AWH isn't a very nice book and the direction DS went with the main character was not what I was expecting nor wanting. That said DS didn't take the easy way out with a nostalgic revisit to Elm Haven; it was anything but.

BigJoeHillfan
04-25-2018, 07:04 AM
I just finished A Winter Haunting and loved it!! I got hooked this weekend and couldn't put it down. I agree it was totally different than SON in all kind of ways but I loved the twists and turns of the story.
I loved that Michelle Staffney and C.J. Congden were both ghosts and you didn't find out until the end.
It liked it a lot more than Children of Night as CON seemed more predictable to me.

St. Troy
04-25-2018, 08:05 AM
Yesterday I finished J.K. Rowling's Cormoran Strike trilogy (The Cuckoo's Calling, The Silkworm, Career Of Evil).

They are pretty basic detective novels, but then I say that as someone who hasn't read many other detective novels (I'm struggling to recall if I ever have).

I enjoyed them, and I did get to the point where I'm looking forward to the next Strike novel (Lethal White, coming...sometime), but they aren't whoa, you've gotta read this good. My main problem is that the two main characters feel pretty stock to me, which is odd because all other characters, however little used, feel pretty real. I suppose this problem lessened a bit as the series went on, but they still have a whiff of clip-art about them. As for cliche, I did resolve (while reading the first of the trilogy) to immediately stop reading if the two main characters, Strike and Robin, ever became romantically involved, but this didn't happen.

A characteristic of each book that I'd guess is more of a feature than a bug, and therefore not really a problem so much as a limitation (maybe) is that it follows the formula where the crime solver tells the criminal all about how he brilliantly solved the crime near the end. I thought that style/technique went out with the hula hoop, but maybe I'm wrong (as I said, I haven't read many other detective stories).

I would like to read a detective novel that feels a bit grittier, not necessarily graphic and bloody or profanity-laden (although those characteristics wouldn't necessarily disqualify), but a bit more rough around the edges. Does anyone have any recommendations? I might try one each by two or three of the major names in the genre, but I expect that, when I look on my own, I'll find more than that, so I'm wondering what people consider essential, or at least good, representative novels that would make for decent entry points into the genre.

St. Troy
04-25-2018, 08:09 AM
Yesterday I read (started and finished!) The Quotable Winston Churchill, which measures 2.75" x 3.25".

Not much too it, as you may imagine, and the title says it all.

St. Troy
04-25-2018, 08:13 AM
Last night, I started The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, which I know is familiar to many of you.

This is the first I've read of Rothfuss; I chose this when randomly casting about for some new fantasy.

I'm only on page 25, but I have to say: what I've read so far is pretty intriguing.

Ben Mears
04-25-2018, 08:39 AM
I would like to read a detective novel that feels a bit grittier, not necessarily graphic and bloody or profanity-laden (although those characteristics wouldn't necessarily disqualify), but a bit more rough around the edges. Does anyone have any recommendations? I might try one each by two or three of the major names in the genre, but I expect that, when I look on my own, I'll find more than that, so I'm wondering what people consider essential, or at least good, representative novels that would make for decent entry points into the genre.

Try John Sandford's Lucas Davenport "Prey" series.

St. Troy
04-25-2018, 08:48 AM

Oof! Thanks, but I've already read Sandford's Rules Of Prey - it was the first book that made me say "I know I can do better than that."

WeDealInLead
04-25-2018, 09:39 AM
Just finished The Terror. Top tier Simmons for sure.

webstar1000
04-25-2018, 09:45 AM

My fav of his thus far. I wanna read Drood but keep putting it off due to reviews.... what else has he done that is top tier?

biomieg
04-25-2018, 09:54 AM
Did you read Song of Kali, Kris? (the 1st edition is also a nice collectible book).

I have yet to read Carrion Comfort but I believe that's also one of his better works. And The Hollow Man, as I mentioned earlier (although it may be more of an acquired taste perhaps).

webstar1000
04-25-2018, 09:57 AM
Did you read Song of Kali, Kris? Which is also a nice collectible 1st edition.

I have yet to read Carrion Comfort but I believe that's also one of his better works. And The Hollow Man, as I mentioned earlier (although it may be more of an acquired taste perhaps).

Nope! I will though! Thanks man:)

Ben Mears
04-25-2018, 09:58 AM

Oof! Thanks, but I've already read Sandford's Rules Of Prey - it was the first book that made me say "I know I can do better than that."

Not making excuses but ROP is the first in the series and Sandford was just starting his career as a novelist. That said his work might be a bit too light for your tastes (seeing the variety of books you read) but for my money Sandford's books (including the Virgil Flowers series) are the most consistently entertaining and enjoyable that I read. He has a great ear for dialogue that doesn't sound forced or phony and there are always several amusing lines to lighten the mood.

St. Troy
04-25-2018, 10:00 AM
Thanks; I do appreciate the info.

Heather19
04-25-2018, 10:12 AM

Hunchback Jack
04-26-2018, 01:31 AM

My fav of his thus far. I wanna read Drood but keep putting it off due to reviews.... what else has he done that is top tier?

Personally, I loved Drood. It's long and sprawling, but wonderfully immersive. I know a lot of people don't like it as much as The Terror, but I actually prefer it.

HBJ

mae
04-26-2018, 03:13 AM

I'd love to get into him finally and will probably look for a good first edition of The Terror, and this seems to be turning into a Simmons thread, but we actually already have one: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?3059-Dan-Simmons

Ben Mears
04-26-2018, 04:24 AM

Like many Dan Simmons novels Drood is a combination of historical fact and fiction. For the most part I found it interesting and entertaining but like his incessant repetition of "Francis Rowdon Moira Crozier" in The Terror he wore my a** out with his constant references to the "inimitable" Charles Dickens. Rant aside, it is a good story.

WeDealInLead
04-26-2018, 10:23 AM
Hyperion isn't the easiest read but in my humble opinion, it's THE book he'll be remembered for. They contain and combine the best elements from his entire body of work. Plus, the Shrike. Can't forget the Shrike.

webstar1000
04-26-2018, 10:35 AM
Hyperion isn't the easiest read but in my humble opinion, it's THE book he'll be remembered for. They contain and combine the best elements from his entire body of work. Plus, the Shrike. Can't forget the Shrike.

It was A VERY HARD read but so cool. I did like it better than the follow up for sure.

WeDealInLead
05-01-2018, 07:19 AM
Did you read all four books? You gots to.

Just finished two books: The Shape of Water by Del Toro, and The Kill Riff by David J. Schow. I think I need something a little lighter for my next read. I'm thinking space adventure. I'm thinking Jack Vance. Big Planet.

Father Cody
05-01-2018, 07:28 AM
Took a break from The Terror (I can only handle so many consecutive ship terms I just don’t understand) to read an 80’s demon child horror paperback called “Lupe” by Gene Thompson. It started out ridiculous and there were a couple scene that made me question my dignity for not throwing the thing in the trash, but I liked it.

Back to The Terror!

WeDealInLead
05-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Just received the notification my Unbury Carol hold has arrived. It's strange, my interest in Malerman wanes in tandem with decreasing Goodreads reviews of each new book: I have a signed trade of Bird Box, unsigned trade of The House at the Bottom of the Lake, I bought a used copy of Black Mad Wheel, and I'm getting Unbury Carol from the library.

In short, he hasn't matched the quality of Bird Box yet. Harsh but numbers don't lie.

St. Troy
05-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Last night, I started The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, which I know is familiar to many of you.

I have to say, 500+ pages in, I'm quite enjoying this. Best new (to me) fiction I've read in a long time.

webstar1000
05-10-2018, 11:23 AM
Listener... hated it. Seemed so juvenile.

TravelinJack
05-10-2018, 11:52 AM

Interesting. I really liked it. Facinating how a book can produce different results for different people. Pretty cool.

webstar1000
05-10-2018, 12:19 PM

Interesting. I really liked it. Facinating how a book can produce different results for different people. Pretty cool.

It sure is... I have always found that fascinating too.