PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

WeDealInLead
12-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out. Really enjoyed Bird Box (minus the ending).

This was an interesting story with a pretty original idea. I don't think you'll like the ending, but if you're a person who's more about the journey then destination, give it a go. It's a fairly quick read. There is one thing that actually drove me nuts and it's this:

Something weird happened, OK?
It was really weird.
That really happened.
It.
Really.
Did.
Things that weird don't just happen.
But this did.

That's not from the book but be prepared for it. He does it all the time.

fernandito
12-14-2016, 05:00 PM
If you guys haven't, you should definitely check out The Deep by Nick Cutter.

I'm a little more than halfway in, and it's like... a more sinister version of Sphere by Crichton.

Cutter's writing style is so much like King's too.

Heather19
12-14-2016, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out. Really enjoyed Bird Box (minus the ending).

This was an interesting story with a pretty original idea. I don't think you'll like the ending, but if you're a person who's more about the journey then destination, give it a go. It's a fairly quick read. There is one thing that actually drove me nuts and it's this:

Something weird happened, OK?
It was really weird.
That really happened.
It.
Really.
Did.
Things that weird don't just happen.
But this did.

That's not from the book but be prepared for it. He does it all the time.

I haven't read anything else by him, but I'm wondering if this is a pattern of his where the endings just end up falling short.

I'm a little more than halfway in, and it's like... a more sinister version of Sphere by Crichton.

Added to my list. I love Sphere.

Have you read The Troop? That one's been on my list for awhile.

Mattrick
12-14-2016, 06:45 PM
I've had The Troop on my shelf for awhile. Haven't read it yet.

Tommy
12-15-2016, 06:27 AM

I didn't like The Deep. I haven't read The Troop.

Ricky
12-15-2016, 03:25 PM
I just finished The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey. I would strongly recommend this book. It was great writing and to me it had a nice creepy factor to it.

I saw the movie was coming out but I didn't know it was a book. Hmm.

WeDealInLead
12-18-2016, 07:28 AM
I picked up a used copy of Delany's The Fall of Towers before getting that fancy edition from Centipede. Good call, I didn't even make it through the first three chapters. "High adventure" should've been my clue to stay away. Too bad though, that's one nice looking book.

frik
12-18-2016, 08:12 AM

In spite of King's recommendation: stay away. One of the least engaging, most boring books I've ever read.

sk

Dan
12-18-2016, 09:01 AM

In spite of King's recommendation: stay away. One of the least engaging, most boring books I've ever read.

sk

That's how I felt about The Troop.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-18-2016, 05:27 PM
Fevre Dream. Finally. My wife got me a first edition for our anniversary.

webstar1000
12-19-2016, 04:00 AM
Just getting to the last bit of Swan Song. It was a good read... not a big fav of mine but it's good. Pretty excited to start Wool next! Has some good reviews!

Aronstg
12-19-2016, 09:35 AM
Just getting to the last bit of Swan Song. It was a good read... not a big fav of mine but it's good. Pretty excited to start Wool next! Has some good reviews!

I haven't started Swan's Song yet. I think I'll need to invest a lot of time into that one. I have read Wool though and I loved it. The opening story blew me away.

St. Troy
12-19-2016, 09:36 AM
The Chimes by Charles Dickens

webstar1000
12-19-2016, 09:51 AM

I haven't started Swan's Song yet. I think I'll need to invest a lot of time into that one. I have read Wool though and I loved it. The opening story blew me away.

Oh good! Pumped to hear that about Wool! Swan is good.. don't get me wrong. I just wanted to feel for the characters more like I did in say.... the Stand.

biomieg
12-19-2016, 11:32 AM
Wool, Shift and Dust are great reads! I really liked Swan Song too (still one of McCammon's best novels IMO), but it does fall short in the inevitable comparison to The Stand.

Heather19
12-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Wool, Shift and Dust are great reads! I really liked Swan Song too (still one of McCammon's best novels IMO), but it does fall short in the inevitable comparison to The Stand.

Have you read Sand? I've been so hesitant to try Wool after reading Sand, which I thought was horrible.

St. Troy
12-19-2016, 11:36 AM
I understand the Swan Song love, but I have to say - the seven-year wait and the defeat at the hands of a frozen turkey dinner didn't help my reading experience.

webstar1000
12-19-2016, 12:00 PM
I understand the Swan Song love, but I have to say - the seven-year wait and the defeat at the hands of a frozen turkey dinner didn't help my reading experience.

Hope this isn't a spoiler in any way... considering I said I am still reading it.

St. Troy
12-19-2016, 12:08 PM

Hope this isn't a spoiler in any way... considering I said I am still reading it.

Nah; I think you'll recognize it when you see it (them), but it doesn't give anything away.

I don't mean to put a damper on your read; SS has much going for it.

webstar1000
12-19-2016, 12:26 PM

Nah; I think you'll recognize it when you see it (them), but it doesn't give anything away.

I don't mean to put a damper on your read; SS has much going for it.

oh good. haha

biomieg
12-19-2016, 12:50 PM

Have you read Sand? I've been so hesitant to try Wool after reading Sand, which I thought was horrible.

I read Sand and although I liked the premise the execution was a bit underwhelming. I liked Wool, Shift and Dust a whole lot better.

WeDealInLead
12-20-2016, 06:33 AM
Mira Grant - Parasite. Is it any good? The audio book is available from the library.

Heather19
12-20-2016, 10:54 AM

I read Sand and although I liked the premise the execution was a bit underwhelming. I liked Wool, Shift and Dust a whole lot better.

Thanks, maybe I'll try to get to it someday.

Theli
12-23-2016, 01:45 PM

Oh good! Pumped to hear that about Wool! Swan is good.. don't get me wrong. I just wanted to feel for the characters more like I did in say.... the Stand.

I actually just read The Stand (1990 edition) for the first time recently and that was one of my complaints, that I just didn't care for the characters, at least not the main ones... I liked Tom, Flagg and Trashy more than any of the main protagonists.

jsmcmullen92
12-27-2016, 06:17 AM

I actually just read The Stand (1990 edition) for the first time recently and that was one of my complaints, that I just didn't care for the characters, at least not the main ones... I liked Tom, Flagg and Trashy more than any of the main protagonists.

I felt the same way. The Stand was one of the books I tried early on in my King reading with the '90 version. I finished about 2/3 over months and just could not complete it. I would just lose interest and I didn't really care about the characters. I think I am going to try the original version this time and see how it is.

divemaster
12-27-2016, 06:57 AM
I cared about the characters in The Stand more than in any book before or since. Especially Nick and Tom. Also Stu.

Maybe "caring about" the villains is not quite the right term, but I thought they were written very well. Maybe Flagg came across stronger to me, b/c I read The Stand well before he showed up in other books, and it was my first introduction to this badass. And I thought Harold was written very, very well. King just nailed the "disaffected teen." The current-day counterpart is the lonely teen that joins ISIS. Whenever the news story wonders how a teen from (good family; non-religious background; etc.) can fall as far as to join ISIS, I immediately think of Harold Lauder.

Twoguysdarktower
12-27-2016, 07:55 AM
Reading Ariel by King-fav Lawrence Block. I'm about 1/3 of the way in and it is unlike any of his other books that I can recall.

Theli
12-30-2016, 07:25 AM

I felt the same way. The Stand was one of the books I tried early on in my King reading with the '90 version. I finished about 2/3 over months and just could not complete it. I would just lose interest and I didn't really care about the characters. I think I am going to try the original version this time and see how it is.

I'll probably tackle the original copy someday, I have the feeling I would have enjoyed it more than the "Uncut" version, but not right away.

Dave: I agree about Harold. The villains in general in The Stand seemed more fleshed out than the heroes. I did like Nick as well, and his relationship with Tom was quite touching.

Off topic: But do you know who may be the best at writing believable characters? John Steinbeck. I read Of Mice and Men in high school, but hadn't touched his work since. However he's my girlfriend's favourite author and I read a couple more of his works recently, Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday, as well as some shorts, and damn I've rarely (if ever before) been moved to tears when reading a book, but he can do it.

I'm currently reading Joe Abercrombie's The Last Argument of Kings and quite enjoying it. Dark, gory, but also funny. I'm also making my way through The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, it's a slow go, but it is fun. I've been reading it on and off out loud with my girlfriend for a few months.

Mattrick
12-30-2016, 01:50 PM
The characters I connected most with in The Stand were Nick, Lloyd, Harold, and Larry. Lloyd was my favourite character in the book.

WeDealInLead
01-01-2017, 10:47 AM
About to tackle The Best of Nancy Kress. I love those best-of murder weapons by Subterranean. Seriously, you could kill someone with those 600-pagers.

St. Troy
01-02-2017, 07:14 PM
The Battle Of Life by Charles Dickens
...and forgot to mention before that: The Cricket On The Hearth by Charles Dickens

Theli
01-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Reading some Dickens is on my list for 2017 reading goals.

St. Troy
01-05-2017, 06:12 AM
The Haunted Man by Charles Dickens

webstar1000
01-05-2017, 07:05 AM
Was going to start Moth but got the Fireman for Xmas... and for some reason... I grabbed that first. Hope I like it!

Heather19
01-05-2017, 08:15 AM
I really liked The Fireman, enjoy!

Doing a re-read of The Shining. And just started listening to the audiobook of Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.

St. Troy
01-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Doing a re-read of The Shining.

For me, rereads of The Shining are interesting in that, although some drama is always lost due to familiarity (the obvious and unavoidable nature of the reread; not a criticism of SK), the bits about Jack and the pressures on him (especially Al forbidding him to write about The Overlook) always hit me hard.

Theli
01-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Doing a re-read of The Shining.

For me, rereads of The Shining are interesting in that, although some drama is always lost due to familiarity (the obvious and unavoidable nature of the reread; not a criticism of SK), the bits about Jack and the pressures on him (especially Al forbidding him to write about The Overlook) always hit me hard.

I think this comment brings up an interesting discussion on re-reading books. It's not a practice I normally partake in, mostly because I feel I have far too many books that still have yet to be read once and I am woefully slow reader. However what I find interesting about your comment is that while the story does not change, and in some way the impact thereof may be reduced, the situations, the settings and even the characters, essentially the feeling of the book, will have a varying impact at different times in life. A good example from my experience would be reading the Harry Potter novels as they were released when I was in junior high and high school. I could directly relate to the character experiences at the time, and because of that they worked at a more emotional level as well as a relatable form of escapism. If I were to read them now, I may have some nostalgia, for the books themselves, and may be even my high school years, but I wouldn't be able to relate as much. I am no longer a pre-pubescent/pubescent teen and I am not in high school with high school anxieties.

Likewise having read certain other novels that have a more adult approach and theme in high school, while I may have an appreciation for the horror and action and other aspects, it's hard to fully understand the characters and situations unless you have been in them or similar situations yourself. For the sake of argument let's say The Shining, I liked the book a lot in high school, or shortly thereafter (and I haven't re-read it now so I am talking out my ass here a bit), I couldn't really relate to supporting a family, raising a son and the true importance of holding down an everyday full time job.

So with that said, what in your experience re-reading The Shining makes it so those aspects of the book make it so it hits you hard each time?

St. Troy
01-05-2017, 10:24 AM
...what in your experience re-reading The Shining makes it so those aspects of the book make it so it hits you hard each time?

My guess is that it boils down to these things:

- At the time of the most recent (2012) re-read, I was a father (this may have been the first read of The Shining for which that was true)

- Jack finds himself needled by others who have the power to hurt him (Al, George, Wendy), and while he's responsible for his alcoholism and is guilty of his own bad behavior, I understand the burn that comes from being repeatedly subjected to dickhead behavior, which leads us to...

- I kinda/sorta have had an Al-like figure of resentment in my life (although I've never gone through anything near as serious as Jack's specific problems and never been pushed around quite this way), who, by virtue of being a relative (he's always been there...), will never really go away, but only fade into the background - he'll always be there, and I'll always know he's there...

Heather19
01-05-2017, 10:46 AM
Interesting. I've only re-read a handful of books. I have a book club coming up this month on the Shining, so I wanted to read it again since it's been a number of years since I last read it, and I know I've forgotten some of the finer details. I don't have a photographic memory. Yes, I remember the basic storyline and outcome. But at least I can get enjoyment again from all the finer little details and nuances of the story. I think I've read it twice before, but I have to stay I'm really enjoying it again. Not too far in yet, I'm just at the part where he finds the wasp nest.

Girlystevedave
01-05-2017, 11:24 AM
This whole discussion makes me want to go back and reread The Shining to see if resonates differently with me this time around. I really enjoyed it the first time (and credit it for being one of the few books that scared me), but wonder if it would feel different this time around since I now know what it feels like to be the parent of an 8 year old boy. :orely:

sentinel
01-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Just finished William Forstchen's novel The Final Day, the third book after One Second After, and One Year Later.
Way too real, scary, could happen tomorrow. Leaves you very unsettled when you look at our current worldwide
political unrest.

St. Troy
01-05-2017, 11:32 AM
I probably re-read too much, but my current (by which I mean stretching back about 5 years and stretching forward about 5 more) re-reads have a method to the repetition:

I've been re-reading early SK because it has been/had been a very long time since reading any of them, and wanted to do so chronologically (for any connections, to see his progress, and to satisfy my own fussiness). This re-read process started with Carrie almost 5 years ago; most recently, I read It last October, then took a break to read a few "real haunting"-type books (as Halloween was upon us), then re-read Straub's Floating Dragon (in order to write up its many similarities to It while It was still fresh in my mind), then switched over to Dickens' Christmas books (because the season was upon us), the last of which (The Haunted Man) I'm finishing now, after which I'll return to SK for two more (The Eyes Of The Dragon and DT2) before walking away from him for a while (I'd originally planned to stop after It, but wanted to reach a second DT book prior to the movie's release, and must stop there as it will take me just too long to get to DT3, given that I insist on reading SK's intervening releases first). (FYI, from Carrie to It, I certainly took many breaks to read many other things; it was not continuous).

After DT2, I don't plan to do any re-reads for the rest of 2017 other than Osborne's Philosophy For Beginners, which I'm only re-reading as a kind of appetizer for Russell's History Of Western Philosophy, which I'll read (for the first time) immediately after (and I have the delicious Folio Society edition - try not to be jealous).

I'd like to re-read Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter every few years; I find them dependably entertaining and refreshing.

I will also need to re-read much Clive Barker, as it's been too long, and he has too many things I haven't read at all (I need to get into a Barker groove sometime soon, by which I mean hopefully before/during 2019).

I re-read The Chronicles Of Narnia last year because A) I wanted to discuss them with my daughter, who'd recently read them, and B) I'd forgotten just about all of it in the 20+ years since my last read.

Every few years, I like to re-read John Coyne's Hobgoblin; it is a basic horror novel, but for some reason it really works for me.

Then there is Hofstadter's Godel, Escher, Bach, which I should revisit every few years, but haven't touched since 2013 (maybe next year).

...and that's probably all there is to know! :rock:

divemaster
01-05-2017, 11:33 AM
I have the opposite problem. I re-read novels many times over, while letting my "books I really need to read" stack get higher and higher. For example, I've read the Dark Tower series twice in full, and books III and IV a couple of extra times. (And am contemplating reading the entire series again). I've read every King novel and collection at least twice. For about 15 years in a row, I read The Stand annually, and am feeling the urge for a re-read.

I read Memoirs of a Geisha for the first time several years ago and loved it so much, I think I read it twice more within 18 months.

I keep telling myself to pick up some of the popular recommendations in this thread (Harry Potter Series; the Game of Thrones books; Wayward Pines; Joe Hill, and so much more), but more times than not, I go back for re-reads.

It really does bother me.

Theli
01-05-2017, 12:08 PM
This whole discussion makes me want to go back and reread The Shining to see if resonates differently with me this time around. I really enjoyed it the first time (and credit it for being one of the few books that scared me), but wonder if it would feel different this time around since I now know what it feels like to be the parent of an 8 year old boy. :orely:

Is that feeling homicidal?

Theli
01-05-2017, 12:13 PM
I have the opposite problem. I re-read novels many times over, while letting my "books I really need to read" stack get higher and higher. For example, I've read the Dark Tower series twice in full, and books III and IV a couple of extra times. (And am contemplating reading the entire series again). I've read every King novel and collection at least twice. For about 15 years in a row, I read The Stand annually, and am feeling the urge for a re-read.

I read Memoirs of a Geisha for the first time several years ago and loved it so much, I think I read it twice more within 18 months.

I keep telling myself to pick up some of the popular recommendations in this thread (Harry Potter Series; the Game of Thrones books; Wayward Pines; Joe Hill, and so much more), but more times than not, I go back for re-reads.

It really does bother me.

For some reason this makes me think of a character from Wilkie Collin's The Moonstone; Gabriel Betteredge, who religiously re-reads Robinson Crusoe (most often with a good pipe and glass of brandy), and believes the answer to all of life's problems can be found within its pages.

Girlystevedave
01-05-2017, 12:15 PM

Is that feeling homicidal?

:lol:

I think that comes at 12 or 13, right?

Mattrick
01-05-2017, 12:41 PM
It happened to me at 10. Then again, I blame the movie Scream.

divemaster
01-05-2017, 12:42 PM
For some reason this makes me think of a character from Wilkie Collin's The Moonstone; Gabriel Betteredge, who religiously re-reads Robinson Crusoe (most often with a good pipe and glass of brandy), and believes the answer to all of life's problems can be found within its pages.

Nah, that's Starship Troopers :) (Another book I've re-read a few times).

Brian861
01-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Although I didn't read The Shining until my early twenties, I identified with Danny more than anyone else in the story. He was my age or close to when the book was published so reconnecting with him in Doctor Sleep was an awesome experience for me.

Mattrick
01-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Books I've re-read the most: Catcher In The Rye - 4 times, Candide - 4 times, Notes From Underground - 4 times, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon - 3 times, The Scarlet Letter - 3 times, The Dark Tower 1-7 - 3 times.

I was underwhelmed when I read The Shining. I was such a huge fan of the movie and I guess, maybe it's just because I knew that story first, I prefer it over King's novel, which is pretty cut and dry and doesn't leave much to ponder. I was expecting it to be a lot creepier too. The creepiest thing in the novel for me was the cement hole.

St. Troy
01-05-2017, 01:02 PM
...The Shining. I was such a huge fan of the movie...I prefer it over King's novel...

:emot-flame:

Ricky
01-05-2017, 02:58 PM
I've been wanting to do a re-read of The Shining since Doctor Sleep was announced, but haven't gotten to it yet. Still haven't read Doctor Sleep either.

Heather19
01-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Ok everyone, we all need to do a group re-read of The Shining :grouphug:

Next month is Doctor Sleep. Funny thing is, I read it when it was first released but honestly I don't remember all that much about it. Maybe because I was just whatever about it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.

Mattrick
01-05-2017, 03:29 PM
I'd rather do a group reading of Duma Key, which was far creepier and a better story to me.

Heather19
01-05-2017, 03:32 PM
Yes, Duma Key is one of my absolute favorites! And I agree that it is creepier. Every time I drive by a house with a lawn jockey I think of that book.

Brian861
01-05-2017, 11:57 PM
I'd rather do a group reading of Duma Key, which was far creepier and a better story to me.

Agree! I read it for the first time last year and loved it!

webstar1000
01-06-2017, 04:08 AM
I really liked The Fireman, enjoy!

Doing a re-read of The Shining. And just started listening to the audiobook of Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.

You know.. I am diggin it too! More than I thought I would... I don't have as much time to read as I would like but found myself finding more time to get at it. Hope it stays this good!!! I might have to try another book of his!!

Heather19
01-06-2017, 04:49 AM
This is your first Joe Hill book? I'd definitely recommend checking out some of his others.

R. Stewart
01-06-2017, 01:31 PM
"The Gunslinger" and "One Soldier" by Dillion and Russell Hillier. Lot's of gun play this month, it seems!

Bond007
01-10-2017, 02:32 PM
Hi guys,
Currently reading Thin air , by Michelle paver . I stumbled across this book in Waterstones the other day and very glad I did . Turning out to be a very intriguing little ghost story. Would highly recommend so far..

amd013
01-11-2017, 03:44 PM
I read several books simultaneously, depending on where in the house (or not in the house), I am. The books I am currently reading are:

1: Revival - Stephen King (primary book, always read at least one SK book)
2: Trigger Mortis - Anthony Horowitz (most recent James Bond book)
3: Whether you believe of Not - Edward Janning (this is a non-fiction religious book written by my Grandfathers Uncle, reading it do see what kind of nut bag he was, very cultish book), don't think I will finish it even though it is only about 120 pages.
4: Stephen King's Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three - Bitter Medicine (read Graphic novels and dilbert collections while taking a bath LOL)
5: Einsteins Theory of Relativity - on my tablet, I only read free e-books, and this was downloaded from google books from their public domain books. Not sure of exact title, seems to be more about a contest to write an essay to explain the theory in 3000 words or less to the lay man. (previously I read books like the brothers Grimm fairy tales, and Alice in Wonderland and Through the looking glass). Probably will quit this and read something classical like Moby Dick (although a friend just gave it a bad review)

I rarely re-read any books, the only books I can recall rereading are:

The Shining (last read maybe around 1985)
`Salem's Lot (I think) (last read maybe around 1985)
The Gunslinger (if you count reading the revised edition)
The Stand (at least 3 times, maybe 4) the original once maybe twice, and the revised twice (last time maybe around 2004)

The only non-SK book I have reread would be Casino Royale (second time about a month before the release of the movie)

I do have the urge to reread the Shining, Salems's lot, and It. I may also reread The long Walk, and Roadwork, only because I remember practically nothing about these books, other then I know I read them.

However these rereads will have to wait until I am caught up with his works. Still have 40 pages of revival, Finders Keepers, Bazaar of Bad Dreams and End of Watch to go. Also debating whether I will ever read Faithful and/or Hearts in Suspension, just not a big fan of non-fiction.

amd013
01-11-2017, 03:54 PM
...The Shining. I was such a huge fan of the movie...I prefer it over King's novel...

You know I have notice in general, when there are two versions of something whether a book vs movie, or two artist performing the same song, I usually always like the one I experience first more. Not sure why. It doesn't matter which is the original and which new one.

For example saw "The Hunger Games" first then read the book, liked the movie more, but then read the Trilogy before the 2nd movie came out and liked the book better. I like Manfred Mann's Earth Band version of "Blinded by the Light" better then Bruce Springsteen's version. Is it because its what I was more familiar with, or is it just coincidence that I experience the better version first?

So with that said, I can understand Mattick's comment.

WeDealInLead
01-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Peter Watts - Blindsight. Take Arthur C. Clarke, Larry Niven, Dan Simmons (his SF books, of course) and John Scalzi and make them co-author a book. It'd be something like this.

Bond007
01-12-2017, 05:11 AM
Currently reading Thin air -Michelle Paver - great little ghost story so far would highly recommend .Also not long finished Station eleven which someone mentions in a previous post , would also recommend.

Heather19
01-12-2017, 06:06 AM

You know I have notice in general, when there are two versions of something whether a book vs movie, or two artist performing the same song, I usually always like the one I experience first more. Not sure why. It doesn't matter which is the original and which new one.

For example saw "The Hunger Games" first then read the book, liked the movie more, but then read the Trilogy before the 2nd movie came out and liked the book better. I like Manfred Mann's Earth Band version of "Blinded by the Light" better then Bruce Springsteen's version. Is it because its what I was more familiar with, or is it just coincidence that I experience the better version first?

I think this is probably the case. I also prefer the film to the book. I watched the movie years before I finally got around to reading the book. Don't get me wrong, I also really enjoy the book as well, but it doesn't scare me in the least. I've been wondering about this alot while I've been re-reading it. Had I read the book before seeing the movie, would it have scared me? Probably. But knowing the major scares beforehand, definitely takes away all of the scare for me. However, I don't scare too easily. There's only been a few books that have at most creeped me out.

St. Troy
01-12-2017, 06:20 AM
Just finished William Forstchen's novel The Final Day, the third book after One Second After, and One Year Later.
Way too real, scary, could happen tomorrow. Leaves you very unsettled when you look at our current worldwide
political unrest.

I noticed these books a year or so ago, haven't read them yet, but intend to. I've heard the basics of how EMPs work, but I could use a better grasp on the underlying science - any recommendations on that front?

webstar1000
01-12-2017, 06:24 AM
I am "burning" through the Fireman... I think I shall read another Hill... what one would you guys read next?

St. Troy
01-12-2017, 06:25 AM
Started The Eyes Of The Dragon last night. I believe this is my first reread of this (I read it when it first came out but never since, as far as I can recall).

I remember virtually none of what happened, except that
the king had a hard time getting it up
and a certain character...
Flagg
...popped up, and that there would be the obligatory
DT connections.

Mainly I recall that it was the first post-It SK release, and I suffered big-time from an It come-down (no fault of TEOTD, but unavoidable).

I'm 34 pages in and enjoying it so far.

Theli
01-12-2017, 07:09 AM
I am "burning" through the Fireman... I think I shall read another Hill... what one would you guys read next?

Good to hear you are enjoying after some rather tepid reviews from other Hill fans. I've only read NOS4A2, but I can definitely recommend it. Great book.

I think this is probably the case. I also prefer the film to the book. I watched the movie years before I finally got around to reading the book. Don't get me wrong, I also really enjoy the book as well, but it doesn't scare me in the least. I've been wondering about this alot while I've been re-reading it. Had I read the book before seeing the movie, would it have scared me? Probably. But knowing the major scares beforehand, definitely takes away all of the scare for me. However, I don't scare too easily. There's only been a few books that have at most creeped me out.

More or less the same experience for me. I do however really enjoy the book for it's prose, characters and atmosphere. I think it's one of King's most well written books, even if it didn't really scare me. And I too prefer to movie, by a hair. That said it is one of my all time favourite movies (top 20 at any rate) so that doesn't mean anything negative about the book.

Heather19
01-12-2017, 08:35 AM

20th Century Ghosts

jsmcmullen92
01-12-2017, 08:51 AM

20th Century Ghosts

I vote Horns. It was my favorite!!!

zelig
01-12-2017, 08:56 AM

20th Century Ghosts

Agreed. I loved that book.

Bev Vincent
01-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Behind her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough. I keep hearing about the OMG/WTF ending, so I can't wait to find out what that's about.

webstar1000
01-12-2017, 09:07 AM
Behind her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough. I keep hearing about the OMG/WTF ending, so I can't wait to find out what that's about.

Let us know Bev if it is worth while to read!

wolfehr
01-12-2017, 09:11 AM
I haven't read horns yet, but my two Hill favorites are NOS4A2 followed by Heart Shaped Box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theli
01-12-2017, 09:23 AM
I'm currently reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, and enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Ben Mears
01-13-2017, 03:42 AM
My most recent re-reading of The Shining a few years ago was the least enjoyable as the overriding impression I got was just how angry and miserable SK was when he wrote it. There is a Bachman vibe to the writing and at times it appears to be autobiographical; definitely working out some issues. A nasty piece of work.

jsmcmullen92
01-13-2017, 06:13 AM
My most recent re-reading of The Shining a few years ago was the least enjoyable as the overriding impression I got was just how angry and miserable SK was when he wrote it. There is a Bachman vibe to the writing and at times it appears to be autobiographical; definitely working out some issues. A nasty piece of work.

I ran across your ranking of SK books yesterday and noticed how low you rated most of SK's books. When you read these do you just force yourself to finish them? Also what are you looking for in the book? So far looking through the rankings you were the only one who was not afraid to give a lot of low scores on a lot of famous novels. I really did not care for the DT either so I'm curious what makes you not like these books?

St. Troy
01-13-2017, 02:46 PM

Not that I can read SK's mind, but I see The Shining as an expression of anxiety over the ability to support, and continue to support, a wife and child(ren) (maintaining a level of success); it adds to my enjoyment of it. I didn't consider it an angry work (although I certainly see how one could), as I see the anger as just an offshoot of the novel's events.

Ben Mears - I take it you're a Salem's Lot guy? One of his best, I think.

Ben Mears
01-13-2017, 07:16 PM

I ran across your ranking of SK books yesterday and noticed how low you rated most of SK's books. When you read these do you just force yourself to finish them? Also what are you looking for in the book? So far looking through the rankings you were the only one who was not afraid to give a lot of low scores on a lot of famous novels. I really did not care for the DT either so I'm curious what makes you not like these books?

Like giving a listen to anything recorded by my favorite bands I'm always willing to read SK's output. While not a fan of science fiction or fantasy I have slogged through King's brushes with those genres but have no desire to return to those novels; once was enough. Had they not been King books I never would have even considered them. Conversely when he gets it right I'm inclined to re-read those books multiple times over the years.
As for what I'm looking for in a book it comes down to entertainment and pleasure. I read (and listen) a lot and really enjoy becoming engrossed in a well written story be it horror, mystery, historical, thrillers etc. I read a fair amount of non-fiction as well. I don't consider myself a sophisticated reader; just someone who derives satisfaction from the process.

Ben Mears
01-13-2017, 07:28 PM

Not that I can read SK's mind, but I see The Shining as an expression of anxiety over the ability to support, and continue to support, a wife and child(ren) (maintaining a level of success); it adds to my enjoyment of it. I didn't consider it an angry work (although I certainly see how one could), as I see the anger as just an offshoot of the novel's events.

Ben Mears - I take it you're a Salem's Lot guy? One of his best, I think.

You make a good point about SK's anxiety fingerprints on The Shining. Clearly he had some things on his mind while he was writing it and those concerns came across in the novel. I plan to do another re-read when the Cemetery Dance limited is published. I'm looking forward to the bonus material.
As for 'Salem's Lot, I'm definitely a big fan.

Br!an
01-15-2017, 07:15 AM
I'm currently reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, and enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Dickens always fulfills my expectations. I love his characters.

Moby Dick is the only book I didn't finish reading.

Heather19
01-16-2017, 06:24 AM
Like giving a listen to anything recorded by my favorite bands I'm always willing to read SK's output. While not a fan of science fiction or fantasy I have slogged through King's brushes with those genres but have no desire to return to those novels; once was enough. Had they not been King books I never would have even considered them.

Wow, I thought I was the only one here that didn't enjoy the DT books. I'm pretty much the same as you. I listened to all the audiobooks to see what all the fuss was about, plus it is Stephen King, but I was really bored by them. Just not my types of books.

jsmcmullen92
01-16-2017, 06:38 AM
Like giving a listen to anything recorded by my favorite bands I'm always willing to read SK's output. While not a fan of science fiction or fantasy I have slogged through King's brushes with those genres but have no desire to return to those novels; once was enough. Had they not been King books I never would have even considered them.

Wow, I thought I was the only one here that didn't enjoy the DT books. I'm pretty much the same as you. I listened to all the audiobooks to see what all the fuss was about, plus it is Stephen King, but I was really bored by them. Just not my types of books.

I think my problem was the characters. Roland was cool and all but his lack of emotion was annoying to me. Detta was just obnoxious. Jake I liked and Eddie I liked after breaking his addictions. The ending was just a let down as well. The Crimson King... meh. He is played up to be such a baddie and nothing. Honestly I enjoyed book 4 and book 4.5 the most. They had the most interesting story lines to me.

Ben Mears
01-16-2017, 08:46 AM

I think my problem was the characters. Roland was cool and all but his lack of emotion was annoying to me. Detta was just obnoxious. Jake I liked and Eddie I liked after breaking his addictions. The ending was just a let down as well. The Crimson King... meh. He is played up to be such a baddie and nothing. Honestly I enjoyed book 4 and book 4.5 the most. They had the most interesting story lines to me.

The only thing I enjoyed about the DT books was the 'Salem's Lot references and coda.

St. Troy
01-17-2017, 07:07 AM
After reading the following, I feel that I can kind of come out of the closet on the issue of the DT series:

While not a fan of science fiction or fantasy I have slogged through King's brushes with those genres but have no desire to return to those novels; once was enough. Had they not been King books I never would have even considered them.

Wow, I thought I was the only one here that didn't enjoy the DT books. I'm pretty much the same as you...

I think my problem was the characters. Roland was cool and all but his lack of emotion was annoying to me. Detta was just obnoxious...The ending was just a let down as well. The Crimson King... meh. He is played up to be such a baddie and nothing.

I'm not seeking to piss fans off or to pretend I'm cool because my taste differs, but I've been reluctant to air out my general view that DT is a cross between the best thing I've ever read (it has an incredibly broad scope (even for an "epic"), a wildly diverse group of characters, and some genuinely gripping and tense moments (various gunfights, things in 4 and 6 particularly, the end of 6, the (potential) fate of Black 13) and the worst (things that feel random (telling riddles to survive, the whole "19" thing), dead ends/unexplored tangents, long segments that are either flashbacks (4) or just feel like diversions (5), unsatisfying resolutions to long build-ups (Crimson King and the series' end itself)).

I think King’s professed style of working without outlines manifested its worst case scenario in DT. I believe this method succeeds in his conventional novels because the narrative proceeds and concludes within a self-contained logical world containing finite and defined characters and locations, and is edited as a single unified entity within a contiguous time period, all before reaching readers. DT, on the other hand, received inconstant work over a period of decades and has a narrative in which literally everything is open for use (characters from his other works, characters from other authors’ works, events in reality, every type of character that can be imagined) with no commitment to tying up loose ends. (Of course, you could say these things enable the things that made it great to you.)

But then, he's a heck of a story teller, and this satisfied millions, so what can I say?

Jean
01-17-2017, 07:39 AM
(Of course, you could say these things enable the things that made it great to you.)which is, verbatim, what I already opened my mouth to say

moreover, most of these things are the things that made it great to me, come to think of it

that feeling of... randomness and haphazardness... of an unspeakable reality too big for concepts and human logic, looming behind what actually was spoken... I fully realize that this way I seem to be advocating sloppy wriitng, but I don't, normally; only in this particular (unique) case

St. Troy
01-17-2017, 08:10 AM
...that feeling of... randomness and haphazardness... of an unspeakable reality too big for concepts and human logic, looming behind what actually was spoken... I fully realize that this way I seem to be advocating sloppy wriitng, but I don't, normally; only in this particular (unique) case

The thing is, I totally get what you're saying; this is part of the reason why I have to admit that I am enjoying/will enjoy my DT re-read (which will literally take years, as I'm reading all of SK's things in order, and DT is woven throughout - I read DT1 last year, will begin #2 maybe next week, but DT3 maybe not until next year).

Brian861
01-17-2017, 09:55 AM
Picked up Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series from the library the other day along with The Sandman: Overture. Is the Overture to be read before or after I complete the series? Thanks!

Tommy
01-17-2017, 11:01 AM
I started The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao last night and Captain Trips is mentioned in the first chapter.

fernandito
01-17-2017, 11:02 AM
Picked up Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series from the library the other day along with The Sandman: Overture. Is the Overture to be read before or after I complete the series? Thanks!
After. It has many references to the original series and story points which depend on familiarity.

divemaster
01-17-2017, 12:31 PM
(Of course, you could say these things enable the things that made it great to you.)which is, verbatim, what I already opened my mouth to say

moreover, most of these things are the things that made it great to me, come to think of it

that feeling of... randomness and haphazardness... of an unspeakable reality too big for concepts and human logic, looming behind what actually was spoken... I fully realize that this way I seem to be advocating sloppy wriitng, but I don't, normally; only in this particular (unique) case

Absolutely. I loved the "tangents and diversions." Book 4 was my favorite. I loved the riddles with Blaine and all the ties to this world that aren't (and don't have to be) explained. I mean, Roland's world has the Jesus-Man and Hey Jude and Sneetches. I'm glad King didn't go out of his way to explain all that. It just IS.

And I loved the ending. Absolutely perfect. Much better than battling a giant sewer spider and defeating it with, well, kiddie sex. Yes, there were a couple of misses and let-downs in Book VII. You mentioned one. And the whole Detta/Odetta/Susannah/Mia thing got old real fast. But I can forgive even that, given the overall arc.

divemaster
01-17-2017, 12:35 PM
...I feel that I can kind of come out of the closet on the issue of the DT series:

Hey! That's what this forum is for. Never feel shy to render an opinion on a book or story. Some people's top favorites I did not like at all. For example, Insomnia (hated it) and The Talisman (a total drudge to get through--I blame Straub LOL).

Brian861
01-17-2017, 12:38 PM
After. It has many references to the original series and story points which depend on familiarity.

Thanks!

St. Troy
01-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Never feel shy to render an opinion on a book or story.

Thanks.

I have to say, part of the reason I keep quiet is because I feel like I'm not doing any good by crapping on something - if a book makes someone happy, that book is successful, and I'm glad that happiness entered the world. Still, I guess it's nice to know I have some common ground as a King fan who occasionally goes >< or :orely:.

I have mighty low opinions of some non-King works mentioned on TDT, but I hold my tongue because I know that some out there may first learn of these works here and I might turn someone off to something they'd quite like before they even try it - and that sucks.

...The Talisman...

Ah, yes - The Talisman. I first read this as a teenager, loved it, and then for many years recalled it fondly as one of SK's greatest triumphs. There, I would think as I gazed upon it, sitting on my bookshelf - is one hell of a book, and one day I shall read it again. When I finally got around to re-reading it in 2011 (age 42)...yikes! Suffice it to say: it's no longer on the shelf. But, it's still nice to know that for many out there, that magic still works.

...Insomnia (hated it)...

Bah! Insomnia is great! :) Of course, I do need to re-read it...

Theli
01-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Never feel shy to render an opinion on a book or story.

Thanks.

I have to say, part of the reason I keep quiet is because I feel like I'm not doing any good by crapping on something - if a book makes someone happy, that book is successful, and I'm glad that happiness entered the world. Still, I guess it's nice to know I have some common ground as a King fan who occasionally goes >< or :orely:.

I have mighty low opinions of some non-King works mentioned on TDT, but I hold my tongue because I know that some out there may first learn of these works here and I might turn someone off to something they'd quite like before they even try it - and that sucks.

On the other hand you may have saved somebody a lot of wasted time and hair pulling! I'm not afraid to voice a negative opinion of something I do not like, nor am I afraid to back that opinion up. That said I always qualify that is my opinion and everyone's opinion is formed by their experiences and their paradigm. It is not objective fact, despite how much I may claim it to be sometimes! :P

Girlystevedave
01-18-2017, 08:19 AM

20th Century Ghosts

Yes to Horns. It's a great book. :thumbsup:

I just started Blake Crouch's Dark Matter last night.

Heather19
01-18-2017, 10:34 AM

20th Century Ghosts

It's about time :D

sentinel
01-18-2017, 10:49 AM
political unrest.

I noticed these books a year or so ago, haven't read them yet, but intend to. I've heard the basics of how EMPs work, but I could use a better grasp on the underlying science - any recommendations on that front?

Sorry, didn't see this response. They talk a little about the science and it's all current technology, it could happen tomorrow. I'm not
the scientist, I just love a good story!

webstar1000
01-18-2017, 10:56 AM

20th Century Ghosts

100% Blake is the man. I REALLY hope for more good stuff from him

Girlystevedave
01-18-2017, 11:26 AM

:lol: I've wanted to read it for a while, but was sort of "saving" it. I finally say eff it and ordered it last week. :D

[

100% Blake is the man. I REALLY hope for more good stuff from him

Other than the Pines series (which was one of the best series I've ever read), I haven't read any of his other books yet. YET.
I think I've probably asked before, but which books would you guys recommend I read next?

biomieg
01-18-2017, 11:55 AM
I would like to know, too (having read the Wayward Pines trilogy and Black Matter but nothing else, so far).

Ricky
01-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Heather will tell you all to read Run, but don't listen to her. :lol:

Tommy
01-18-2017, 03:44 PM
I liked Serial Killers Uncut which is a collection of works by three different writers and Blake is one of them.

Heather19
01-18-2017, 04:50 PM

Yes, Run. And please listen to me and ignore Ricky :P

Amanda, I thought you read some of his other books, Draculas? Or was that your mom?

My rankings of his books would be:
Wayward Pines series
Run
Dark Matter
Fully Loaded (his collection of short stories)
Abandon
Snowbound
Draculas
Eerie
Famous (I actually remember nothing about this one aside from the fact that it was a very different style of writing from all his other books)
Desert Places (didn't care for this one so haven't read the remaining ones in the trilogy)
And I haven't read Serial Killers Uncut for that reason too, but maybe I'll get to it sometime.
I haven't finished Good Behavior yet either, but I did love the first Letti Dobesh book.

Girlystevedave
01-19-2017, 07:07 AM

That's right. I do remember you two disagreeing about Run.

I liked Serial Killers Uncut which is a collection of works by three different writers and Blake is one of them.

I just looked that one up. It looks like it's a compilation of stories about the villains from the authors' novels? I'll have to keep that in mind if I read some of the stand-alone books and want to delve into the characters some more.

Amanda, I thought you read some of his other books, Draculas? Or was that your mom?

Wayward Pines series
Run
Dark Matter
Abandon
Snowbound
Draculas
Eerie
Famous (I actually remember nothing about this one aside from the fact that it was a very different style of writing from all his other books)
Desert Places (didn't care for this one so haven't read the remaining ones in the trilogy)
And I haven't read Serial Killers Uncut for that reason too, but maybe I'll get to it sometime.
I haven't finished Good Behavior yet either, but I did love the first Letti Dobesh book.

Cool, thanks Heather.

You know, I started the Good Behavior book a while back but didn't really get sucked into it very much. I think that, having read the Pines series first, I may have a hard time getting into his books that are not full of as much mystery and suspense. Pines had that other world feel to it that kept you on the edge of your seat, trying to figure out what was going on. I hope that didn't spoil me so much that I don't enjoy his other books. :lol:
To be honest, I think that's why I haven't read anything else by him yet. But when Dark Matter came out, the description intrigued me.

Would you say that any of the books you listed have that suspenseful feel to them?

And, yes, it was my mom that read Draculas. :)

Heather19
01-19-2017, 07:11 AM
I think Run does and Dark Matter to an extent. And possibly Abandon a little bit. They're not of the same scope that the Pines series is. But the first two are of the same quality at least. And did you not enjoy the first Letty Dobesh book? I really enjoyed it, and it had some twists I wasn't expecting.

Lovejoygirl14
01-19-2017, 07:12 AM
I am currently reading Dark Screams volume 5, and The Painted Darkness by Brian James Freeman. I'm trying to finish by the end of this months that'll put me at 10 books for January on my goodreads.lol

Girlystevedave
01-19-2017, 07:33 AM
I think Run does and Dark Matter to an extent. And possibly Abandon a little bit. They're not of the same scope that the Pines series is. But the first two are of the same quality at least. And did you not enjoy the first Letty Dobesh book? I really enjoyed it, and it had some twists I wasn't expecting.

Yeah, I'm afraid Pines spoiled me.

Also, I didn't know there was a first Letty Dobesh book. I guess it's a good thing I didn't read to far into Good Behavior if there was a story that came before it. :lol:

Heather19
01-19-2017, 07:57 AM
Good Behavior is just the collection of the three Letty Dobesh stories combined into 1 vol. I read the first one previously because it was included in his other short story collection. On a side note have you guys seen the TV series? I watched the first few but couldn't really get into it :(

Girlystevedave
01-19-2017, 09:11 AM
I gotcha. Good Behavior is the one I've got. I may get around to reading it one day, but I just wasn't feeling it at the time.

I didn't check out any of the tv show. When I found out it was based on a Blake Crouch book, it made me want to check out the story first. Of course, we see how that worked out. :lol: Maybe I'll get around to reading it sometime in 2030. haha

Brian861
01-19-2017, 11:42 AM
I am currently reading Dark Screams volume 5, and The Painted Darkness by Brian James Freeman. I'm trying to finish by the end of this months that'll put me at 10 books for January on my goodreads.lol

I'm a huge BJF fan! Love his stuff.

Heather19
01-19-2017, 11:53 AM
I gotcha. Good Behavior is the one I've got. I may get around to reading it one day, but I just wasn't feeling it at the time.

I didn't check out any of the tv show. When I found out it was based on a Blake Crouch book, it made me want to check out the story first. Of course, we see how that worked out. :lol: Maybe I'll get around to reading it sometime in 2030. haha

They changed the TV show from the first book, not sure about the others since I haven't read them yet. But the show just got blah fast.

Tommy
01-19-2017, 11:57 AM

That's right. I do remember you two disagreeing about Run.

I just looked that one up. It looks like it's a compilation of stories about the villains from the authors' novels? I'll have to keep that in mind if I read some of the stand-alone books and want to delve into the characters some more.

Wayward Pines series
Run
Dark Matter
Abandon
Snowbound
Draculas
Eerie

Cool, thanks Heather.

You know, I started the Good Behavior book a while back but didn't really get sucked into it very much. I think that, having read the Pines series first, I may have a hard time getting into his books that are not full of as much mystery and suspense. Pines had that other world feel to it that kept you on the edge of your seat, trying to figure out what was going on. I hope that didn't spoil me so much that I don't enjoy his other books. :lol:
To be honest, I think that's why I haven't read anything else by him yet. But when Dark Matter came out, the description intrigued me.

Would you say that any of the books you listed have that suspenseful feel to them?

And, yes, it was my mom that read Draculas. :)

I had never read anything by any of those authors and still enjoyed SKU very much. It does make me want to read more from all of them eventually.

TacomaDiver
01-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Agreed - read Overture afterwards. Or better yet, skip it. It was pretty bad and added nothing to the series.

WeDealInLead
01-24-2017, 04:25 AM
Yesterday I finished Time Is the Simplest Thing by Delany. I'm 2/3 done with Clarke's Islands in the Sky. Making progress with The Best of Nancy Kress. Incredible writing, incredible stories.

I'm also reading Tomie, a graphic novel by Junji Ito. Eerie stuff. Drawn in b&w too, no glossy Photoshop backgrounds, thank you very much.

Theli
01-24-2017, 07:19 AM
Yesterday I finished Time Is the Simplest Thing by Delany. I'm 2/3 done with Clarke's Islands in the Sky. Making progress with The Best of Nancy Kress. Incredible writing, incredible stories.

I'm also reading Tomie, a graphic novel by Junji Ito. Eerie stuff. Drawn in b&w too, no glossy Photoshop backgrounds, thank you very much.

My GF loves Ito. I've only read a bit, the first Uzumaki graphic novel, and I will concur. Great art and eerie stories. I look forward to reading more.

Girlystevedave
01-24-2017, 10:32 AM
Almost done with Blake Crouch's Dark Matter. :dance:

Heather19
01-24-2017, 11:15 AM
And.... :D

Girlystevedave
01-24-2017, 11:41 AM
And.... :D

I'm really enjoying it. I've got maybe 30 pages left and plan to finish it today

(maybe while I'm waiting in the car to pick Jacob up from school today. :lol:)

Mattrick
01-24-2017, 12:04 PM
And...then its on the next Mattrick mattsterpiece :p

Girlystevedave
01-24-2017, 02:04 PM

I do need to start your book! I'm actually thinking of looking into seeing if there is a way to send the doc to my kindle so I can read it from there. ;)

If there's an obvious way to do that, someone please tell me..

Heather19
01-24-2017, 02:09 PM
I think it can read pdf's if you can convert it.

Jean
01-24-2017, 02:11 PM
if we are talking about one and the same Mattrick book, then:

a) it's extremely good
b) I have a .mobi file
c) anything can be converted to .mobi if you download calibre, for example from here: https://calibre-ebook.com/download

Girlystevedave
01-24-2017, 02:41 PM

I'll look into that. :thumbsup:

a) it's extremely good
b) I have a .mobi file
c) anything can be converted to .mobi if you download calibre, for example from here: https://calibre-ebook.com/download

1. I bet it's good. I already read his book, The Need, and really enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to reading this one that he recently sent me.
2. I saw mention of caliber online, but didn't know if it was legit. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Heather19
01-24-2017, 03:18 PM

I'll look into that. :thumbsup:

a) it's extremely good
b) I have a .mobi file

1. I bet it's good. I already read his book, The Need, and really enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to reading this one that he recently sent me.
2. I saw mention of caliber online, but didn't know if it was legit. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm pretty sure it is. I've used it in the past as well.

WeDealInLead
01-24-2017, 04:17 PM

My GF loves Ito. I've only read a bit, the first Uzumaki graphic novel, and I will concur. Great art and eerie stories. I look forward to reading more.

Yes! Your lady and you have great taste. Those spirals were unnerving. Just finished Tomie. Not quite as stellar as everything else by Ito but still a solid 3.5/4.

Mattrick
01-24-2017, 11:21 PM

I do need to start your book! I'm actually thinking of looking into seeing if there is a way to send the doc to my kindle so I can read it from there. ;)

If there's an obvious way to do that, someone please tell me..

You can download office viewer apps. Sure there are better ones out there now. It's like reading a docx file on a pc except on your phone or tablet. Not sure about bookmarks though. Not as good as a mobi of course, but cheaper than printing it out. Converting to a mobi is a pain in the ass...not sure about to pdf. Might be easier with Calibre.

I've been so busy I still haven't finished and uploaded my polished version of The Need that doesn't read quite as wooden and (mostly) free of errors. With messed up vision it's very easy to miss mistakes...or entire words...

I think The Limousine is up yours and Jean's alley. At a tight 168 pages, I pushed the envelope as many different ways I could. It's like a satire of the torture porn genre, amongst others.

St. Troy
01-25-2017, 10:02 AM
I just finished what I believe to be my first reread of The Eyes Of The Dragon (I read it when it first came out but never since, as far as I can recall).

As I mentioned before, I remembered virtually none of what happened, mainly just recalling that it was the first post-It SK release, and I suffered big-time from an It come-down (I didn't think much of it).

What a different reading experience now - this was great ("great" as in "I now officially want one of the Philtrum editions and will drool over them for the rest of my life"); I can't believe I'd basically erased this entire thing from my memory. It had such a unique (for SK) fairy tale feel (he's done other fantasy, of course, but this is quite different in a softer, pleasant way).

Some questions for the rest of you (to which I should already know the answers, but for my memory):

Is the tale of Thomas and Dennis (hunting Flagg) ever told or mentioned later? I suspect DT is the most likely venue for this, but man I'd like to just go back to the world of this book.

Any possibility of an adaptation in the works?

Up next (starting tonight): DT2.

Mattrick
01-25-2017, 11:50 AM
I remember reading Eyes of the Dragon in a single sitting some years back the basking glow of a sunny afternoon in a comfy chair. It's one of my better memories.

Girlystevedave
01-26-2017, 06:29 AM
Man, you've both made me want to reread Eyes of the Dragon. I haven't read it in at least 20 years and I'm sure my adult brain would enjoy it in ways my teenage brain couldn't comprehend. :lol:

Mattrick
01-26-2017, 11:16 AM
https://theshroom.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/kenobi_011.jpg
you don't want to reread Eyes of the Dragon...yet ;)

Theli
01-26-2017, 12:22 PM

Yes! Your lady and you have great taste. Those spirals were unnerving. Just finished Tomie. Not quite as stellar as everything else by Ito but still a solid 3.5/4.

Thanks! I know you do too!

Theli
01-27-2017, 06:12 AM
Finished Great Expectations last night. I really enjoyed it. Some pretty heavy coincidences take place that are somewhat crucial to the story, but ultimately it doesn't take away from the enjoyability of the novel.

Onto Earnest Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. Halfway in so far, really digging it. Looks to be short and sweet.

Tommy
01-27-2017, 06:17 AM
Finished Great Expectations last night. I really enjoyed it. Some pretty heavy coincidences take place that are somewhat crucial to the story, but ultimately it doesn't take away from the enjoyability of the novel.

Onto Earnest Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. Halfway in so far, really digging it. Looks to be short and sweet.

Short and bittersweet. That was one of those books we were made to read in high school that at the time I didn't appreciate at all. I thought it was slow and boring but now with some years under my belt, I think it's brilliant.

Jean
01-27-2017, 07:42 AM
sounds like I got to reread The Old Man and the Sea, read it more than 40 years ago and, apparently, at the wrong age

Theli, it makes bears so happy when people like anything by Dickens, bears' favorite author ever!

Girlystevedave
01-27-2017, 07:53 AM
https://theshroom.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/kenobi_011.jpg
you don't want to reread Eyes of the Dragon...yet ;)

Well played.

Theli
01-27-2017, 08:00 AM
sounds like I got to reread The Old Man and the Sea, read it more than 40 years ago and, apparently, at the wrong age

Theli, it makes bears so happy when people like anything by Dickens, bears' favorite author ever!

Nice! I plan to read more soon enough. I have a few other authors I want to try before circling back to his works though. I think Oliver Twist will be the next book I read of his.

In regards to Old Man and the Sea, I'd read an excerpt a long time ago and always wanted to try the book itself. I think it comes back to the conversation a few pages back about experiencing books at different times in our lives. I can see how it could resound with a younger audience, perhaps give appreciation to our elders, especially if we spent a lot of time with an older family member, but I also think it would go over the heads of most teens, and even those that could appreciate it would appreciate it on a different level than someone a bit older and hopefully wiser who can relate more.

Plus fishing rocks, so that's cool too.

Theli
01-27-2017, 08:01 AM

Nice! I plan to read more soon enough. I have a few other authors I want to try before circling back to his works though. I think Oliver Twist will be the next book I read of his.

In regards to Old Man and the Sea, I'd read an excerpt a long time ago and always wanted to try the book itself. I think it comes back to the conversation a few pages back about experiencing books at different times in our lives. I can see how it could resound with a younger audience, perhaps give appreciation to our elders, especially if we spent a lot of time with an older family member, but I also think it would go over the heads of most teens, and even those that could appreciate it would appreciate it on a different level than someone a bit older and hopefully wiser who can relate more.

Plus fishing rocks, so that's cool too.

Girlystevedave
01-27-2017, 08:05 AM

Short and bittersweet. That was one of those books we were made to read in high school that at the time I didn't appreciate at all. I thought it was slow and boring but now with some years under my belt, I think it's brilliant.

And I've still yet to read any Hemingway. I started A Farewell to Arms a few years back, but the time and mood felt all wrong, so I put it down. Would you guys suggest The Old Man and the Sea as a better way to introduce myself to his works?

Tommy
01-27-2017, 08:13 AM

And I've still yet to read any Hemingway. I started A Farewell to Arms a few years back, but the time and mood felt all wrong, so I put it down. Would you guys suggest The Old Man and the Sea as a better way to introduce myself to his works?

Either that one or The Sun Also Rises.

webstar1000
01-27-2017, 08:21 AM
Gonna start MOTH over the weekend. I plan to finish that series... then I was looking for a really GOOD one to start. Something with a few books. Well written and a page turner. You guys always give me good leads on books... thoughts?

Tommy
01-27-2017, 08:24 AM
Gonna start MOTH over the weekend. I plan to finish that series... then I was looking for a really GOOD one to start. Something with a few books. Well written and a page turner. You guys always give me good leads on books... thoughts?

Have you read any Scott Sigler? I like the Infected/Contagious/Pandemic trilogy even though the first one is definitely the best.

webstar1000
01-27-2017, 08:39 AM

Have you read any Scott Sigler? I like the Infected/Contagious/Pandemic trilogy even though the first one is definitely the best.

No I have not! Worth it eh?

biomieg
01-27-2017, 09:00 AM
Have you read Del Toro's The Strain and the follow-up books?

Jean
01-27-2017, 09:11 AM
Nice! I plan to read more soon enough. I have a few other authors I want to try before circling back to his works though. I think Oliver Twist will be the next book I read of his.I would recommend Martin Chuzzlewit to be the next. It's far less conventional than The Great Expectations (I mean, reads even less like a normal novel), and thoroughly, one hundred percent, Dickensian. Oliver Twist is a little on the... well... moralizing side; very good nevertheless!

or The Sun Also Rises.this, totally! such a gem indeed, and, Amanda, you'll swallow it in one sitting

Girlystevedave
01-27-2017, 10:25 AM
or The Sun Also Rises.this, totally! such a gem indeed, and, Amanda, you'll swallow it in one sitting

I'll add it to my list. :)

Also, I've gotta say that I was pretty underwhelmed by Great Expectations when I read it. Am I the only one?
I kinda want to read something else Dickens just to see if it's his writing I'm not crazy about or if it was just Great Expectations. :orely:

Jean
01-27-2017, 11:28 AM
try Martin Chuzzlewit or Nicholas Nickleby. If neither does the trick, then alas, bears will have to admit you're hopeless :rose:

Girlystevedave
01-27-2017, 11:31 AM
try Martin Chuzzlewit or Nicholas Nickleby. If neither does the trick, then alas, bears will have to admit you're hopeless :rose:

I'll check those out and maybe pick them up one day when the mood is right. I didn't hate Great Expectations like some other classics, I just didn't fall in love with it like others.

Jean
01-27-2017, 11:37 AM
GE isn't very high on my list of favoritestestest Dickens books, I must say. Love it anyway, because love everything Dickens; but it is kind of a compromise between what Dickens is about and a real novel with a plot, character developments, exposition-climax-denouement, all that stuff he doesn't really need and is much better without.

webstar1000
01-27-2017, 11:37 AM

No well written man?

fernandito
01-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Amanda, you'll swallow it in one sitting

lol

Mattrick
01-27-2017, 11:45 AM
The Old Man and the Sea is great, but The Sun Also Rises is my favourite Hemingway. It's simply excellent. It's not everyone's cup of tea because it's basically just people talking. Imagine Great Gatsby with smaller parties and no stakes at the end and you have The Sun Also Rises. Really nothing happens, but it's soooo good.

Girlystevedave
01-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Amanda, you'll swallow it in one sitting

lol

:rofl: How did I miss that?! :lol:

The Old Man and the Sea is great, but The Sun Also Rises is my favourite Hemingway. It's simply excellent. It's not everyone's cup of tea because it's basically just people talking. Imagine Great Gatsby with smaller parties and no stakes at the end and you have The Sun Also Rises. Really nothing happens, but it's soooo good.

I have to admit that I really despised The Great Gatsby. It's one of those books where I found myself irritated with all of the characters and their stupid problems. :lol:

St. Troy
01-27-2017, 11:51 AM
Imagine Great Gatsby...

[shudders]

Girlystevedave
01-27-2017, 11:57 AM

So I'm not the only one who disliked it then.

Jean
01-27-2017, 12:00 PM
Imagine Great Gatsby...
[shudders]

No.

St. Troy
01-27-2017, 12:00 PM

You are definitely not.

Funny thing, though: the last page and a half was written pretty well.

Theli
01-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Oddly enough, at least in my personal circle, despite it's high regard I don't know anyone that likes The Great Gatsby. Personally I haven't read it yet though.

Girlystevedave
01-27-2017, 12:16 PM
I guess there are a lot of classics that most people hate. I mean, don't you guys think it's fair to say that more than 50% of classics are overrated? :lol:

Mattrick
01-27-2017, 12:23 PM
I liked Gatsby but Sun Also Rises is the superior jazz era novel. Better characters. More entertaining dialogue.

Jean
01-27-2017, 12:31 PM
I guess there are a lot of classics that most people hate. I mean, don't you guys think it's fair to say that more than 50% of classics are overrated? :lol:quite

Getting through The Scarlett Letter was excruciating, and I found Wuthering Heights ridiculous. Think I like most of the other stuff I've read, though; definitely adore Jane Eyre - don't know if it is considered a classic, however. As far as the French are concerned, I've never been able to read a single page by Balzac or Zola (have only just noticed that they both have a "z", which is an extremely rare letter in French names) without yawning - give me Dumas or, better, Japrisot any time.

Jean
01-27-2017, 12:39 PM
does anyone think bears might enjoy Finders Keepers and/or End of Watch? I moderately enjoyed Revival (until the big revelation, which was a huuuuuge letdown) and never could get past the first fifty or so pages of Mr.Mercedes (the present tense was killing me, among other annoying things)

Mattrick
01-27-2017, 12:41 PM
I guess there are a lot of classics that most people hate. I mean, don't you guys think it's fair to say that more than 50% of classics are overrated? :lol:quite

Getting through The Scarlett Letter was excruciating, and I found Wuthering Heights ridiculous. Think I like most of the other stuff I've read, though; definitely adore Jane Eyre - don't know if it is considered a classic, however. As far as the French are concerned, I've never been able to read a single page by Balzac or Zola (have only just noticed that they both have a "z", which is an extremely rare letter in French names) without yawning - give me Dumas or, better, Japrisot any time.

I've read Scarlet Letter three times...about to read it a fourth for school. It's one of my favourites. Wuthering Heights I actually like more than Jane Eyre out of the Bronte Sisters books. Wuthering Heights is just so dark and twisted.

Mattrick
01-27-2017, 12:45 PM
And I'd love to hear Bear's thoughts on The Need whenever Bear's have the time!

biomieg
01-27-2017, 12:49 PM

No well written man?

It's been a while but I remember really liking them. You should give them a go!

Jean
01-27-2017, 01:02 PM
And I'd love to hear Bear's thoughts on The Need whenever Bear's have the time!

you already know my first thoughts: it is one hell of good, really good, enjoyable, witty, delectable writing, just what bears love

as far as the story (stories!) goes, the brain problems hit me when I was in the middle, and now I'll have to start over again. Which does not by any means make bears sad; just the contrary, in fact.

I dearly hope the highlights I made on my Kindle haven't disappeared (it's my other Kindle, not in a very good condition), because I fully intend, as I promised, give it a detailed analysis. On the other hand, if something happened to the original highlights, I'll be making new ones as I (re)read.

So far - in one word: congrats.

Mattrick
01-27-2017, 01:14 PM
I had brain problems when I was writing it, so Bears aren't alone there :/ I was hoping you were feeling better since I'd seen your name popping up more and more on the site recently :D

Jean
01-27-2017, 01:21 PM
yes! and being here among friends has a tremendous healing effect

Theli
01-27-2017, 01:39 PM
I guess there are a lot of classics that most people hate. I mean, don't you guys think it's fair to say that more than 50% of classics are overrated? :lol:

It doesn't surprise me much. Normally to be a classic you need time to gain that status, which can mean prose and dialect, cultural paradigms etc. can change over time and feel dated for some. Also I think expectations have a lot to do with as well, when a book is deemed a classic it means has reached the upper echelon of literature, a lofty expectation to match. Lastly worth noting is that a classic will often have a wide influence, in society and/or literature, so what made it fresh and enjoyable years earlier may feel more cliché or have less impact.

That said I have enjoyed most "Classics" I have read. I will say one that disappointed me a bit was Dracula. I love the films, the plays, the ballet, any adaptation of it I have encounter... yet the novel itself just wasn't that standout to me. I found Stoker's characters flat, lifeless, imitations of one another. The story was good, and Drac himself was great, as is some of the surprisingly gory violence and shocking subject, but ultimately since the story is told through diary entries, making very character centric, it failed.

Give me Sheridan Le Fanu's Carmilla any day over Dracula.

I liked Gatsby but Sun Also Rises is the superior jazz era novel. Better characters. More entertaining dialogue.

I haven't read either yet, but as I am trying to read more classics this year I may stumble across them. However one solid jazz era novel I enjoyed was They Shoot Horses, Don't They?. Very dark, cynical, and deliciously sardonic with a fair dose of dark humour that can only take place in that one era of time.

St. Troy
01-27-2017, 01:53 PM
I think the passage of time allows us to forget that a classic's purported significance may not have been unanimous in its time period; i.e., not everyone liked Classic X at the time, but enough people thought enough of it that, 100 years later, those of us who don't enjoy it are somewhat surprised at their reactions.

And then: if art is mainly communication (and literature especially so), the evolution of language, society, and all contexts and subtexts (some unstated) inherent in a work erode and alter what is being communicated (therefore - the whaaaa? reaction).

Setting the analytical aside:
I really liked Dracula, but can't understand what was so damn fascinating about empty people doing empty things (Gatsby) or a whiny teenager whose arrogance was only outstripped by his ignorance (The Catcher In The Rye).

But hey - that's just me! :lol:

Jean
01-27-2017, 02:23 PM
a whiny teenager whose arrogance was only outstripped by his ignorance (The Catcher In The Rye).++++++++++

Ricky
01-27-2017, 02:58 PM
I mean, don't you guys think it's fair to say that more than 50% of classics are overrated? :lol:

Abso-freaking-lutely. :lol:

There's a lot of classics where I genuinely don't understand why people like them, but with others I guess there's something to be said for not reading them at the "right time." Also, I have found that my opinion of some has changed upon re-reads. Loved 1984 the first time around (high school), didn't love it as much the second (college); HATED Brave New World the first time (high school), really enjoyed it the second time (college).

But Pride and Prejudice? No way. :lol:

mae
01-27-2017, 03:07 PM
Hopefully bears resume their trek through Michael Crichton's oeuvre

For my part, with what's been happening in our world, I'll be starting a re-read of Richard J. Evans's The Coming of the Third Reich. Tremendous book. Not that it's a complete parallel or a predictor of today, it is still an immensely readable history of a pivotal time in world history with shades and reverberations today.

Jean
01-27-2017, 03:09 PM
yes, Crichton!! thank you for reminding me!

Mattrick
01-27-2017, 03:16 PM
a whiny teenager whose arrogance was only outstripped by his ignorance (The Catcher In The Rye).++++++++++

Catcher In The Rye is my second favourite novel. I've read it four times. The only book I love more is Notes From Underground by Dostoevsky, and both books bear a lot of parallels. To me, Catch In The Rye is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. I could write paragraph after paragraph on it lol

Mattrick
01-27-2017, 03:19 PM

I liked Pride and Prejudice. It was funny.

Jean
01-27-2017, 03:49 PM
love Pride and Prejudice, and everything else by Austen

have read The Catcher many times too; it being wonderfully written doesn't contradict what St.Troy said

(Mattrick, LOL! we're bound to repeat this same dialog every ten years or so)

Mattrick
01-27-2017, 04:02 PM
love Pride and Prejudice, and everything else by Austen

have read The Catcher many times too; it being wonderfully written doesn't contradict what St.Troy said

(Mattrick, LOL! we're bound to repeat this same dialog every ten years or so)

I didn't think Holden was ignorant though. In many ways, he's far too intelligent for someone his age, which is why he's so whiny and miserable. Arrogant, sure, I'll buy that, but that's more a defense mechanism than anything. And besides, thinking you know everything is a hallmark of youth. Most kids are arrogant.

St. Troy
01-27-2017, 06:01 PM
I wonder if Holden was the first appearance (in fiction) of the cliched sullen teen for whom the world always falls short:
"The adults - they just don't get it." How adorable!

Mattrick
01-27-2017, 07:54 PM
“All morons hate it when you call them a moron.”

Tommy
01-27-2017, 08:23 PM
“I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot. ”

Tommy
01-27-2017, 08:46 PM
I just finished The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and was thoroughly impressed with it. Several references to The Stand are made throughout.

Next up, The Man Without a Shadow by Joyce Carol Oates.

kaufen
01-28-2017, 04:42 AM
I love Dickens. He was quite a storyteller. I'm sure you know that he released Bleak House as a serial somewhat like The Green Mile.

Girlystevedave
01-28-2017, 07:19 AM

Getting through The Scarlett Letter was excruciating, and I found Wuthering Heights ridiculous. Think I like most of the other stuff I've read, though; definitely adore Jane Eyre - don't know if it is considered a classic, however.

Jane Eyre is one of those classics that I ended up enjoying way more than I expected going into it. I've not read anything else by Charlotte Bronte though.
The Scarlett letter was excriciating.

does anyone think bears might enjoy Finders Keepers and/or End of Watch? I moderately enjoyed Revival (until the big revelation, which was a huuuuuge letdown) and never could get past the first fifty or so pages of Mr.Mercedes (the present tense was killing me, among other annoying things)

I guess I'm one of those people that, even if a King book isn't amazing, I still enjoy reading it because it's comforting to read anything King. With that said, if you couldn't get through Mr. Mercedes, you may not enjoy Finders Keepers. I can't speak for End of Watch though, since I've been saving it on my shelf for a while.
And I've gotta agree with you about the ending of Revival. That was one of the most disappointing endings ever. :lol:

I've read Scarlet Letter three times...about to read it a fourth for school. It's one of my favourites. Wuthering Heights I actually like more than Jane Eyre out of the Bronte Sisters books. Wuthering Heights is just so dark and twisted.

Why?! :P

Theli
01-28-2017, 09:22 AM
Already finished The Old Man and the Sea. I loved it. Probably gonna start up Moby Dick next. The Scarlet Letter and The Grapes of Wrath are also on tap for upcoming reads.

Tommy
01-28-2017, 09:29 AM
Moby Dick is easily one the best books I've ever read. It was a failure upon publication and only achieved classic status after Melville's death. Sad.

The Grapes of Wraith is a spectacular read as well.

Ricky
01-28-2017, 09:29 AM
Jean, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that even if you end up not enjoying King's writing style in Finder's Keepers, you will enjoy the plot and the story's overall focus on the importance and power of reading and books.

Theli, The Grapes of Wrath! That's another one that felt like a punishment. In 9th grade we could either choose between Of Mice and Men or, if we wanted extra credit, The Grapes of Wrath (since it is much, much longer). I chose The Grapes of Wrath and endured Steinbeck spending pages writing about a turtle crossing the road.

Theli
01-28-2017, 12:20 PM
I've read Steinbeck before though and love his style. You never know if you picked it up now you might like it more.

Melville I've never read, and I'll be reading Moby Dick with an open mind.

Mattrick
01-28-2017, 01:04 PM
Theli, The Grapes of Wrath! That's another one that felt like a punishment. In 9th grade we could either choose between Of Mice and Men or, if we wanted extra credit, The Grapes of Wrath (since it is much, much longer). I chose The Grapes of Wrath and endured Steinbeck spending pages writing about a turtle crossing the road.

The Turtle is a celebrated passage. I haven't even read Grapes of Wrath yet but I've read The Turtle. Steinbeck is a beast. Only thing from him I've read I wasn't a fan of was The Moon Is Down, and it started and ended great, but the middle was missing something. East of Eden is one of the greatest novels ever written. Cannery Row was funny and heartbreaking. Of Mice and Men is a classic. The Red Pony was solid.

Mattrick
01-28-2017, 01:09 PM

Why?! :P

Because the imagery is beautiful, the characters are solid, the themes are heavy, the content is dark, and I have a deep appreciation for novels which were so psychologically accurate before psychology was even a science. And the puritan time period is fascinating to me. I'm actually looking forward to reading it again. It's got pretty much everything I like in a novel.

WeDealInLead
01-29-2017, 02:51 PM
Tim Lebbon - Desolation. A Leisure paperback, before the media tie-ins, before novelizations, before urban fantasy. Lebbon at his best.
Harry Harrison - Deathworld

Merlin1958
01-30-2017, 04:05 PM
American Gods. Neil Gamain

Heather19
01-31-2017, 05:13 PM

I absolutely loved Revival, well up until the end like you. I didn't care for either Mr. Mercedes or Finders Keepers. Actually I can't even remember anything about the latter, that's how much of an impact it made on me... And I have zero desire to read the last one.

I love Jane Austen, but I will admit, I didn't really care for that one. I don't know how that one became the popular one, because she has much better books. Basically every book she's written is superior to Pride & Prejudice.

Jean
02-01-2017, 11:20 AM
I think my personal favorite is Northanger Abbey

Jean
02-01-2017, 11:24 AM
have only just found out that there's also a collection (The Bazaar of Bad Dreams) that I missed

what are everyone's impressions? I'll probably try this one if I can find it

Lookwhoitis
02-01-2017, 11:27 AM
American Gods. Neil Gamain

such a great book. I cant wait for the tv adaptation

Heather19
02-01-2017, 11:34 AM
I think my personal favorite is Northanger Abbey

That one and Persuasion are my favorites. Followed by Mansfield Park and Sense & Sensibility.

mae
02-01-2017, 11:38 AM
have only just found out that there's also a collection (The Bazaar of Bad Dreams) that I missed

It's King's short fiction, he always nails it, in my opinion, and this one has some great straight fiction pieces like Batman and Robin Have an Altercation.

Theli
02-01-2017, 11:55 AM

I liked the shorts I'd read from it, though admittedly I have not read the full thing.

Brian861
02-01-2017, 12:43 PM

It's King's short fiction, he always nails it, in my opinion, and this one has some great straight fiction pieces like Batman and Robin Have an Altercation.

I agree. I'm almost through it and dig most of the stories. I've read that most didn't care for Blockade Billy but I really liked the story. But I dig most of King's short stuff so......

Mattrick
02-01-2017, 01:16 PM
I've never had a taste for King's short stories. His novellas are fine, but the shorter they are, I find the more they are lacking. I can only think of a handful of short stories from him I really, really liked, with Dolan's Cadillac, The End of the Whole Mess, and Survivor Type being three of them. Most of them are pretty forgettable to me. That's why I own most of his short story collections yet haven't read any to completion.

Tommy
02-01-2017, 01:28 PM
I think BoBD is his weakest collection. If you read it after Night Shift or Skeleton Crew or even Nightmares & Dreamscapes, it becomes pretty clear. There are some gems there for sure but yeah, mostly forgettable.

Girlystevedave
02-02-2017, 10:32 AM
I mean, don't you guys think it's fair to say that more than 50% of classics are overrated? :lol:

Abso-freaking-lutely. :lol:

There's a lot of classics where I genuinely don't understand why people like them, but with others I guess there's something to be said for not reading them at the "right time." Also, I have found that my opinion of some has changed upon re-reads. Loved 1984 the first time around (high school), didn't love it as much the second (college); HATED Brave New World the first time (high school), really enjoyed it the second time (college).

You're right about reading it at the "right" time. There are some I've not enjoyed, but wondered if the mood just wasn't right at the time (of course, I'm not gonna risk it by trying to reread it either. :lol: The Scarlet Letter is the book that taught me that life is too short to spend it reading a book that is torture.) Some books came along at the perfect time and I ended up loving them in ways I can't explain. I think I read William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying at some perfect moment in time because it ended up being one of my favorite books. I finished it, then immediately turned around and reread it to try to understand what is was about it that I loved so much. But then I tried reading other William Faulkner books and wasn't very moved by them.
I have to say that I did try to read Jane Austen one time and ended up quitting about 5 pages into the book. Once again, life is too short! :lol:

Heather19
02-02-2017, 11:53 AM
What Jane Austen book did you try?

Tommy
02-02-2017, 11:57 AM
I love Faulkner, As I Lay Dying, The Sound and the Fury and Light in August are my favorites.

Mattrick
02-02-2017, 12:01 PM
I have to finish reading The Sound and The Fury. I'm about halfway through it. I'm enjoying it so far, but it is confusing in parts as different characters have the same name in different time periods and it's not explained all that well, and I had to actually look up a cast of characters for the book for it to make sense to me lol

Tommy
02-02-2017, 12:10 PM
I have to finish reading The Sound and The Fury. I'm about halfway through it. I'm enjoying it so far, but it is confusing in parts as different characters have the same name in different time periods and it's not explained all that well, and I had to actually look up a cast of characters for the book for it to make sense to me lol

Oh absolutely! It's one of the most confusing books ever. Gotta love that stream of consciousness! I don't mind being confused by a book as long as it's entertaining and/or beautiful. There is a film version of it but I will probably never watch it. I can't imagine the material translating well to screen at all.

Girlystevedave
02-03-2017, 11:13 AM
What Jane Austen book did you try?

I want to say that it was Pride and Prejudice that I tried, but it's been so long that I can't be sure. I just remember being thrown off by the language style.

Jean
02-03-2017, 11:15 AM
currently reading: The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

have no idea whether it is going anywhere at all, but the reading is soothing, almost lulling... bears don't mind

Heather19
02-03-2017, 11:27 AM

have no idea whether it is going anywhere at all, but the reading is soothing, almost lulling... bears don't mind

I just tried to start reading The Paying Guests last week but couldn't really get into it. This one sounds much better, let me know how it is when you're done.

webstar1000
02-06-2017, 06:41 AM
I CANNOT PUT WOOL DOWN!! Are the other books in the series this good guys that have read it?

Anubis2347
02-06-2017, 06:43 AM
They are all good, but in my opinion Wool was the best of them.

Jean
02-06-2017, 10:55 AM

I just tried to start reading The Paying Guests last week but couldn't really get into it. This one sounds much better, let me know how it is when you're done.
If. If I am ever done.
It doesn't feel like it's ever going to end - or to start.
at 49%, it is now approximately where it was at 10 or 5

I love them slow. I adore them slow. I hate it when tons of events are happening and everyone runs, shoots, shouts, burns, leaps from roof to roof and hangs from cliffs. But. Something must be happening. People must - talk, think, feel - whatever. There must be some drama to what I read, even if it is over what people eat for breakfast; some collision - even if it's about the bus being late. But some - tension; intrigue; articulation of perceptions, ideas, characters; whatever. So far The Little Stranger has been miraculously lacking most of the above; an initially pleasant, but increasingly annoying yarn.

Still am not losing hope for something - anything. Maybe the second half will make up for the first. Stranger things have been known to happen.

Theli
02-06-2017, 11:20 AM

If. If I am ever done.

I love them slow. I adore them slow. I hate it when tons of events are happening and everyone runs, shoots, shouts, burns, leaps from roof to roof and hangs from cliffs. But. Something must be happening. People must - talk, think, feel - whatever. There must be some drama to what I read, even if it is over what people eat for breakfast; some collision - even if it's about the bus being late. But some - tension; intrigue; articulation of perceptions, ideas, characters; whatever. So far The Little Stranger has been miraculously lacking most of the above; an initially pleasant, but increasingly annoying yarn.

Still am not losing hope for something - anything. Maybe the second half will make up for the first. Stranger things have been known to happen.

I recommend never picking up La Nausee by Jean-Paul Sartre. I read it several years ago, and maybe I'd have the capacity to finish it now, but half way through I just gave up as nothing had happened. And I too like a slow burn.

Jean
02-06-2017, 12:20 PM
LOL, I read La Nausee, and even liked it, but it was about 35 years ago - I was young and thought I liked Big, Real Literature with Thoughts. Now I am sure I wouldn't get past page five.
(Still love Sartre's plays, though)

wolfehr
02-06-2017, 01:47 PM
I'm about halfway through John R Little's Little by Little. Every time I have to put it down, I think of when I'll be able to pick it up again. The dude knows how to write! He's easy to read and has a way to quickly immerse you in the story and characters.

Heather19
02-06-2017, 02:59 PM

If. If I am ever done.

Well that does not sound too promising :)

Jean
02-07-2017, 09:18 AM
I'll keep you abreast of all developments.
56% today. Still nothing.

Heather19
02-09-2017, 07:38 AM
Currently reading The Abominable by Dan Simmons. Perfect for a snowed in day :) Hoping it gets scarier like The Terror was.

webstar1000
02-09-2017, 08:00 AM
Currently reading The Abominable by Dan Simmons. Perfect for a snowed in day :) Hoping it gets scarier like The Terror was.

Loved it but it is no Terror:(

Heather19
02-09-2017, 08:30 AM
Does it get a little creepy at least? I'm not too far in, they're just organizing their trip to Everest now. Can't wait for them to finally get there.

I would love it if he would do a book about Antarctica. He mentioned in the intro that really wanted too, but so far has only written about the Arctic and then Everest. Hopefully it's something he'll do in the future. I'm fascinated by it. I would absolutely love to take a trip down there.

webstar1000
02-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Does it get a little creepy at least? I'm not too far in, they're just organizing their trip to Everest now. Can't wait for them to finally get there.

I would love it if he would do a book about Antarctica. He mentioned in the intro that really wanted too, but so far has only written about the Arctic and then Everest. Hopefully it's something he'll do in the future. I'm fascinated by it. I would absolutely love to take a trip down there.

All I will say... is not all is as it seems..................................

Jean
02-09-2017, 12:24 PM
but it is no Terror:(Nothing is. An amazing, rare book.

WeDealInLead
02-12-2017, 12:02 PM
Greg Bear - Blood Music
Nancy Kress - The Best of Nancy Kress

Tommy
02-12-2017, 07:49 PM
About to start Legion by William Peter Blatty

St. Troy
02-14-2017, 10:25 AM
Just finished DT2. This is at least my 3rd read: first when the Plume trade (large) paperback came out, then some time after later books were released, and now.

Parts of this would look great on film (virtually every moment of Roland inhabiting the pusher, for example), but overall, I found this mainly veering between dull and over the top. On the other hand, it moves things along a bit, and does leave you wondering what's next.

Just started (and now almost 1/2 through) The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Interesting in its own way, but not normally what I look for in a book (I'm reading it because a fellow reader close to me insisted) and therefore isn't lighting me up.

ladysai
02-14-2017, 07:27 PM
Just started "Horns" by Joe Hill.
First book of his that Ive read...so far, Im enjoying it. :)

jsmcmullen92
02-15-2017, 05:54 AM

You are in for such a great journey!!!!

zelig
02-15-2017, 06:12 AM

Yup. I'm sure everyone's tired of hearing it from me. But that book is so good. I loved it.

jsmcmullen92
02-15-2017, 06:15 AM

Yup. I'm sure everyone's tired of hearing it from me. But that book is so good. I loved it.

Can that be the next book from Suntup? I'm picturing bright red devil skin and horns coming off the cover. (Think Regulators lettered but red and horns)

zelig
02-15-2017, 06:51 AM
Yes I would love be to give that book special treatment.

Girlystevedave
02-15-2017, 08:12 AM

:thumbsup:

St. Troy
02-17-2017, 08:08 AM
Just finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

As mentioned before, this is not the type of thing I generally read (it was recommended to me). It does have a cumulative effect (building on the emotion of simple humanity and what people mean to each other), and I found that the characters ultimately meant something to me and I can say I enjoyed it. While I'm not in a mad rush to read something else of Hosseini's, I probably will eventually.

Theli
02-17-2017, 08:33 AM
Just finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

As mentioned before, this is not the type of thing I generally read (it was recommended to me). It does have a cumulative effect (building on the emotion of simple humanity and what people mean to each other), and I found that the characters ultimately meant something to me and I can say I enjoyed it. While I'm not in a mad rush to read something else of Hosseini's, I probably will eventually.

That's good to hear. My girlfriend is also a fan of that book.

WeDealInLead
02-17-2017, 04:33 PM
Fritz Leiber - The Big Time

jsmcmullen92
02-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Starting my first Sanderson novel. Elantris

B Rag
02-20-2017, 05:07 PM
I'm reading Marrow by Robert Reed for the second time. It hasn't even been that long since the first time.

Jean
02-21-2017, 02:27 AM
About to start Legion by William Peter Blatty

oh, please tell me when you start!! I've been wanting to reread it for ages, it's a fantastic book; would love to synchronize my reread with your read

Jean
02-21-2017, 02:29 AM
you didn't read his first collection? why? it's one of the best short stories collection ever (bears think so)

St. Troy
02-21-2017, 06:29 AM
Just started Shakespeare's Insults by Wayne Hill & Cynthia Otchen, which is basically a 308-page long list. It is good, if you like this sort of thing.

wolfehr
02-21-2017, 07:50 AM
I'm about 1/3 through Horns and loving it so far.

WeDealInLead
02-21-2017, 08:42 AM
Fritz Leiber - The Big Time

Noooope. Not my thing. Moving on to The Best of Gregory Benford.

fernandito
02-21-2017, 08:57 AM
I'm thinking of making The Terror by Simmons my next read.

webstar1000
02-21-2017, 08:58 AM

I LOVED that book. I am envious you get to read it fresh! I could not put it down...

Heather19
02-21-2017, 11:34 AM

Well it's about time... :)

St. Troy
02-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Summer of Night is the only thing I've read by Dan Simmons. I really, really wanted to like that book, and I can probably list a dozen good things about it, but, while I can't explain it, the fact is I just didn't enjoy it that much. (I'm not criticizing Dan or the book; I'm disappointed in myself). Every time I see someone here discuss how much they enjoyed SON and others of his, I wonder if I should give it another try...

Heather19
02-21-2017, 12:02 PM
Summer of Night is my other favorite of his. I will say though, that The Terror is so different, don't let you're not liking Summer of Night deter you from reading that one. I would definitely recommend checking that one out at some point.

St. Troy
02-23-2017, 12:22 PM
Just finished Shakespeare's Insults by Wayne Hill & Cynthia Otchen; again, not bad for a list.

Just started Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee.

fernandito
02-23-2017, 04:15 PM

Well it's about time... :)
Lol yeah seriously. I've seen the title thrown around so often, the curiosity got the better of me.

Summer of Night is the only thing I've read by Dan Simmons. I really, really wanted to like that book, and I can probably list a dozen good things about it, but, while I can't explain it, the fact is I just didn't enjoy it that much. (I'm not criticizing Dan or the book; I'm disappointed in myself). Every time I see someone here discuss how much they enjoyed SON and others of his, I wonder if I should give it another try...
Hyperion is the first - and only - Simmons I've read to date and I loved it. It's as hard a sci fi as you can hope for. It goes off the rails toward the end but the imagination on display is breath taking in scope.