PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Brian861
07-04-2016, 12:28 AM
:orely:

Girlystevedave
07-04-2016, 06:53 AM
I have no idea what S/L means.

I struggle when people abbreviate the titles of the books their talking about. As soon as I find out what TBODB is, I'll know that's what Brian is reading next. I'm sure it's supposed to be obvious, but I'm not good at deciphering things like that. :lol:

LOL. The Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

Haha. Of course! :doh:

I have no idea what S/L means.

I struggle when people abbreviate the titles of the books their talking about. As soon as I find out what TBODB is, I'll know that's what Brian is reading next. I'm sure it's supposed to be obvious, but I'm not good at deciphering things like that. :lol:

I don't know if NOS4A2 is the title or the abbreviation.

I do know that one is actually the title.

Br!an
07-04-2016, 08:41 AM
To confuse matters even more the British version of NOS4A2 is NOS4R2 due to differences in pronunciation of Nosferatu.

mae
07-04-2016, 10:49 AM
To confuse matters even more the British version of NOS4A2 is NOS4R2 due to differences in pronunciation of Nosferatu.

I don't think Nosferatu's pronounced any differently, actually. It's not pronounced "Nos-fer-ey-tu", the "A" in NOS4A2 should be pronounced as "ah". I'm not sure why it would be changed in the UK. Strange.

Br!an
07-04-2016, 11:15 AM

I don't think Nosferatu's pronounced any differently, actually. It's not pronounced "Nos-fer-ey-tu", the "A" in NOS4A2 should be pronounced as "ah". I'm not sure why it would be changed in the UK. Strange.

That was the explanation I've heard. Perhaps our British friends could chime in?

Mattrick
07-04-2016, 12:18 PM
Brits, like is Canucks, just pronounce more hard A's like we say zed. That soft a in America works, but we'd never get the title. That's why I had no idea it sounded like Nosferatu...in fact, I've just said it as enn-oh-ess-four-eh-two.

mae
07-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Well it's just a license plate made to look/sound like Nosferatu, just replacing -fer- with 4 and -tu with 2, but keeping the other letters the same. There is no R at the end so to me the UK version is weird.

Mattrick
07-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Because they don't say 'fer' they say 'fuh', so the R is there for that reason or it would just be nos-fuh-ah-tu. They hit that 'r' like it's its own syllable (rar) to differentiate the two syllables, kind of like how we would accentuate 'Jack Crane' with an audible pause in the middle so it doesn't sound like 'Jack Rain'.

Mattrick
07-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Maybe I'm wrong a British person can correct me, but I've got a good ear for such things having spent so many years in speech therapy.

Heather19
07-05-2016, 05:32 AM
So is it just the title that was changed or is it changed in the book too? It is bizarre to me as well that they would change the title.

As for Joe Hill, I'm only maybe 60-70% thru the Fireman but I'm enjoying this one so much more than NOS4A2. I guess we'll see when I finish but I'm surprised to hear that it's gotten bad reviews. Out of his books I'd rank them 20th Century Ghosts, Heart Shaped Box, The Fireman (so far), NOS4A2, and Horns I have yet to finish. I started to read it but for some reason it didn't grab me so I put it down. I plan to revisit it sometime.

Br!an
07-05-2016, 06:37 AM
So is it just the title that was changed or is it changed in the book too? It is bizarre to me as well that they would change the title.

They print the British editions in British English, so the isn't just the title, e.g., Color becomes colour, realize becomes realise, etc..

WeDealInLead
07-05-2016, 07:32 AM
The Fireman is pretty good so far. Only 60 pages in but I'm not skipping/skimming anything.

I think this is our first positive outlook on the boards so far for this book. It's next on my list after finishing EOW and TBOBD. Will be my first Joe Hill read outside of the 1st issue of Tales From the Darkside.

Eh, I think it stayed interesting for the first 100 pages or so. After that it's a story about the most tedious apocalypse ever.

Girlystevedave
07-05-2016, 08:00 AM

As for Joe Hill, I'm only maybe 60-70% thru the Fireman but I'm enjoying this one so much more than NOS4A2. I guess we'll see when I finish but I'm surprised to hear that it's gotten bad reviews. Out of his books I'd rank them 20th Century Ghosts, Heart Shaped Box, The Fireman (so far), NOS4A2, and Horns I have yet to finish. I started to read it but for some reason it didn't grab me so I put it down. I plan to revisit it sometime.

I tried to read Heart Shaped Box, but it didn't grab me, yet everyone seems to love that one. Horns didn't grab me immediately, but I ended up absolutely loving it.
I figure Heart Shaped box may have the same effect on me should I decide to revisit it.

webstar1000
07-05-2016, 08:04 AM
After EOW which is up next (I read so much less in the summer) I was thinking I Am Legend.... any thoughts here on what its like?

WeDealInLead
07-05-2016, 08:13 AM
Absolutely incredible is all you need to know.

webstar1000
07-05-2016, 08:14 AM

That was all i needed to 'know'. hahahah

Heather19
07-05-2016, 09:08 AM

That was all i needed to 'know'. hahahah

Agreed, if you haven't read it yet I'd highly recommend it.

biomieg
07-05-2016, 11:47 AM
I Am Legend is great but it's pretty short so you should probably start thinking about the next-next book as well... just sayin'!

biomieg
07-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Have you read any Crichton, Kris?

webstar1000
07-05-2016, 01:21 PM
No I haven't man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

needfulthings
07-05-2016, 01:49 PM
This book has ALWAYS been on the TOP of my FAVORITE BOOKS OF ALL TIME list.
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/7268/yRG0jm.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img924/1313/VhaugJ.jpg
and speaking of Michael Crichton...Here is a little lost 1974 Crichton book (paperback screenplay).
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/8826/HLs6na.jpg

Brian861
07-05-2016, 11:20 PM
Think I saw or read someplace that WestWorld is to be a TV series this Fall.

biomieg
07-06-2016, 02:35 AM
No I haven't man

Then you know what to do ;)

webstar1000
07-06-2016, 03:13 AM

The preview LOOKS INSANE!!!

WeDealInLead
07-06-2016, 06:07 AM
I've been making some pretty unfortunate choices this month:

Lester Del Rey Collection - just couldn't get into noir in space.
Julie Czernede - Survival. I should've been all about this but it felt very dry to me
Tim Lebbon - Rime. This I did finish but mostly because it was a quick read at 65 or so pages. This was intriguing because it was set in space but it still dealt with Lebbon's go-to themes of loss, guilt and remorse. An OK read. I wish he'd stop doing all this work-for-hire and write a horror novel again. It sucks I'm losing interest in a writer I used to collect religiously.
Alan Moore - Unearthing. I flipped through this and gave up. Artsy fartsy shit. Gimme From Hell or gimme death.
Joe Hill - The Fireman. No plot, pretty vanilla villains, unlikeable protagonist(s). A deaf kid named Nick? Are you kidding me? He's paid tribute to his Dad already, this wasn't cute.

I'm reading Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie. Great stuff.

fernandito
07-06-2016, 07:14 AM

The one that premiered before the Game of Thrones season finale, right?

That was fucking incredible.

webstar1000
07-06-2016, 07:44 AM

Yep. CANNOT wait to see this show...

zelig
07-06-2016, 07:49 AM

Yep. CANNOT wait to see this show...

I remember watching Westworld as a child and that it made such a big impression on me. I recall loving the movie at the time. A few years ago I bought the DVD and watched it again. Man, it brought back memories of some scenes that sort of stayed with me but which I had forgotten about over the years. I didn't know there was going to be a series made. Will absolutely have to check that out.

Brian861
07-06-2016, 07:51 AM

That's where I saw it! LOL. On topic: Almost finished with EOW and have loved it.

Mattrick
07-06-2016, 06:56 PM
I've been making some pretty unfortunate choices this month:

Lester Del Rey Collection - just couldn't get into noir in space.
Julie Czernede - Survival. I should've been all about this but it felt very dry to me
Tim Lebbon - Rime. This I did finish but mostly because it was a quick read at 65 or so pages. This was intriguing because it was set in space but it still dealt with Lebbon's go-to themes of loss, guilt and remorse. An OK read. I wish he'd stop doing all this work-for-hire and write a horror novel again. It sucks I'm losing interest in a writer I used to collect religiously.
Alan Moore - Unearthing. I flipped through this and gave up. Artsy fartsy shit. Gimme From Hell or gimme death.
Joe Hill - The Fireman. No plot, pretty vanilla villains, unlikeable protagonist(s). A deaf kid named Nick? Are you kidding me? He's paid tribute to his Dad already, this wasn't cute.

I'm reading Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie. Great stuff.

Sounds like you need to read my book! It will be free in two weeks!

Ricky
07-07-2016, 05:37 AM
Matt, if you print them, they (me) will come. :D

jsmcmullen92
07-11-2016, 04:59 AM
Would anyone recommend the Shannara Chronicles? I have not read and Terry Brooks but thought about picking them up for a fun read. Any good?

Br!an
07-11-2016, 05:10 AM
Would anyone recommend the Shannara Chronicles? I have not read and Terry Brooks but thought about picking them up for a fun read. Any good?

The Shannara Chronicles is the TV show. I was excited about it at first but lost interest.

If you are talking about the Shannara books then I liked them. It is a typical fantasy series that is certainly a fun read.

WeDealInLead
07-12-2016, 05:58 AM
Nancy Kress - Yesterday's Kin. Finished it in one sitting. A quick and interesting read at a whopping 188 pages.

zelig
07-12-2016, 07:28 AM
Just finished Armada by Ernest Cline. A tedious read and nowhere as good as Ready Player One. Now reading Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe.

fernandito
07-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Ernest Cline strikes me as a one trick pony author.

WeDealInLead
07-14-2016, 11:20 AM
Ernest Cline strikes me as a one trick pony author.

Co-signed. Andy Weir too.

Reading: Justin Cronin - City of Mirrors

Patrick
07-14-2016, 12:34 PM
This book has ALWAYS been on the TOP of my FAVORITE BOOKS OF ALL TIME list.
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/7268/yRG0jm.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img924/1313/VhaugJ.jpg
and speaking of Michael Crichton...Here is a little lost 1974 Crichton book (paperback screenplay).
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/8826/HLs6na.jpg
I loved both those books.
I was big fan of the WESTWORLD and FUTUREWORLD films as well. I watched WESTWORLD whenever it came on TV. I was a kid, but I still remember finishing up reading FUTUREWORLD and then going to see the new movie that same night. I was impressed that the opening dialogue followed the book exactly.

On topic:
Currently reading, REVIVAL, by Stephen King.
I am enjoying it far more than the last book I read.

peripheral
07-15-2016, 04:54 AM
Starting Mr Mercedes and plan to go straight through the trilogy.

Brian861
07-15-2016, 09:13 AM

Skip FK :evil:

zelig
07-15-2016, 09:40 AM

Now Brian, I bet you knew a comment like that would get a response out of me huh? DO NOT skip Finders Keepers! It's the best of the three. :tongue:

Brian861
07-15-2016, 11:18 AM

Now Brian, I bet you knew a comment like that would get a response out of me huh? DO NOT skip Finders Keepers! It's the best of the three. :tongue:

LOL, Paul. Peri may love it too.

WeDealInLead
07-16-2016, 01:29 PM
Tim Powers - Down and Out In Purgatory

Stebbins
07-16-2016, 03:50 PM
GOLD Isaac Asimov

NOBODY WANTS TO READ YOUR SHIT Stephen Pressfield

MASTERY Robert Greene (audio)

Stebbins
07-16-2016, 03:52 PM

While I certainly don't think FK is bad enough to be skipped, I think MM is a much better book. I just requested EoW to be sent to my library today :cool:

FennyBate
07-16-2016, 03:58 PM
Finished "'salems Lot", which was fantastic (of course!)

Been flicking through various collections and anthologies, but nothing really working for me. So, decided to try a couple of classics, that are in my TBR pile - first up 'The Woman in Black', then onto 'The Haunting of Hill House'. Also some non-fiction - 'Rare Books Uncovered', which is excellent so far. Books about rare books and book collecting have quickly become favourites of mine.

zelig
07-16-2016, 04:24 PM
I also enjoy reading books about books and collecting. I've read Rare Books Uncovered. It's a great read with really interesting stories. I've recommended it before but also check out A Gentle Madness if you haven't read it yet. A few still on my TBR list is Book Row, Used and Rare, The Man Who Loved Books to Much and The House of Twenty Thousand Books.

FennyBate
07-16-2016, 05:37 PM
Hey Zelig, I have 'Used & Rare', but haven't read it yet. 'The Man Who Loved Books Too Much' is a fantastic read. Haven't heard of 'The House of 20,000 Books', will check it out.
Lincoln.

zelig
07-16-2016, 05:59 PM
Thanks Lincoln. Good to know. I'll push that one up the list. Paul.

Brian861
07-18-2016, 02:04 PM
Picked up all 6 volumes of Locke & Key today at the library. Really looking forward to diving into 'em. Also making my way through TBOBD.

FennyBate
07-18-2016, 02:17 PM
Reading two novels at the same time, which is something I've never done before - about halfway through 'The Woman In Black', which is excellent so far. The atmosphere is amazing, and the characters are very well drawn. Started 'The Hatching', last night. 50 pages in, and it's very enjoyable. But, it could definetly still go either way.
Also read a couple of SK shorts, both were excellent - 'The Road Virus Heads North', and '1408'.
Lincoln.

jsmcmullen92
07-19-2016, 04:45 AM
Picked up all 6 volumes of Locke & Key today at the library. Really looking forward to diving into 'em. Also making my way through TBOBD.

If you have never read these before you are in for a GREAT treat. So jealous of you right now :)

Girlystevedave
07-19-2016, 05:14 AM
Jumped back into my re-read of The Wastelands until I decide what to pick up next. :)

Brian861
07-19-2016, 09:16 AM

If you have never read these before you are in for a GREAT treat. So jealous of you right now :)

My first time through, Josh and I'm loving it so far! I'm slowly collecting the single issue comics and variants of the series and thought, hey, might actually want to read this thing :).

Brian861
07-19-2016, 09:17 AM
Jumped back into my re-read of The Wastelands until I decide what to pick up next. :)

I didn't enjoy that book at all in the series. Glad it's getting some love from some one :).

Girlystevedave
07-19-2016, 09:33 AM

I didn't enjoy that book at all in the series. Glad it's getting some love from some one :).

Really? It's one of my favorites from the series. Jake/Roland struggling with the clash of memories involving one another and both feeling like they were going crazy until the moment where they are finally reunited with each other?! I remember being so excited the first time I read Wastelands because it felt like the first time we see that Roland is capable of having real emotion and love in his heart for something other than the tower.

Brian861
07-19-2016, 09:38 AM

Really? It's one of my favorites from the series. Jake/Roland struggling with the clash of memories involving one another and both feeling like they were going crazy until the moment where they are finally reunited with each other?! I remember being so excited the first time I read Wastelands because it felt like the first time we see that Roland is capable of having real emotion and love in his heart for something other than the tower.

Yea, just didn't do anything for me personally. My favs in the series are TDOTT & W&G. I have the omnibus comics but haven't read 'em yet. Nor have I read TWTTK. Something I really should get to.

Girlystevedave
07-19-2016, 09:43 AM
Yea, just didn't do anything for me personally. My favs in the series are TDOTT & W&G. I have the omnibus comics but haven't read 'em yet. Nor have I read TWTTK. Something I really should get to.

The Drawing of the Three is the best, no doubt.
I have SO much to catch up on with the comics. I'm torn between feeling compelled to catch up and being comforted in knowing that I've got such a huge catalog of DT stuff to read when I need that tower fix one day. :lol:
You should give Wind Through the Keyhole a go one day. It's really good and can stand on its own apart from Dark Tower.

Brian861
07-19-2016, 09:50 AM

The Drawing of the Three is the best, no doubt.
I have SO much to catch up on with the comics. I'm torn between feeling compelled to catch up and being comforted in knowing that I've got such a huge catalog of DT stuff to read when I need that tower fix one day. :lol:
You should give Wind Through the Keyhole a go one day. It's really good and can stand on its own apart from Dark Tower.

I have my good ole BC copy and several collectable copies of TWTTK so no excuse not too. I honestly just keeping forgetting about it :|. I have several King books that I have yet to get to. But like ya said, not a bad thing when a King or DT fix is needed :).

zelig
07-19-2016, 06:32 PM
Hey Zelig, I have 'Used & Rare', but haven't read it yet. 'The Man Who Loved Books Too Much' is a fantastic read. Haven't heard of 'The House of 20,000 Books', will check it out.
Lincoln.

I'm reading this one now (The Man Who Loved Books Too Much) and got a laugh out of this. It's a quote from one of the collectors being discussed in the book.

I have been buying avidly both 20th century first-hand account nonfiction titles and photographic monographs in these areas for more than 10 years. I am only interested in books in fine condition. In this regard I am as nerdy as your regular Stephen King freaks.

Ricky
07-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Just goes to show you how opinions vary. Wizard and Glass is my least favorite (struggled to get through it) and Wastelands is one of my favorites.

Brian861
07-19-2016, 09:36 PM
Just goes to show you how opinions vary. Wizard and Glass is my least favorite (struggled to get through it) and Wastelands is one of my favorites.

Yes, Sir. That it does.

WeDealInLead
07-21-2016, 07:12 AM
John Scalzi - Lock In. Very cool s.f. with a modern feel to it
Cronin - City of Mirrors. 200 pages to go. Pretty good but that block of nearly 200 pages on you-know-whose life seemed to drag on and on.

Chris
07-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Anyone else reading Joe Abercrombie's latest book 'Sharp Ends'?

FennyBate
07-24-2016, 12:57 AM
I'm a bit surprised at how much I'm enjoying 'The Hatching'. About 3/4 of the way through, and I can't put it down.

WeDealInLead
07-24-2016, 05:21 AM
I started and finished My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix in a day. I'm very impressed. I passed on his Horrorstor because it seemed gimmicky. I almost passed on this too but changed my mind after only a chapter. This book will pull you right in.

I'm reading Children of the Dark by Jonathan Janz. The next few books I'll be reading are all novels published in 2016.

HONKYTONKSMASH
07-24-2016, 05:26 AM
Finished the malazan book of the fallen series today. Wow

HONKYTONKSMASH
07-24-2016, 05:28 AM

What?!?! Blaine the pain train does not accept this!

zelig
07-24-2016, 05:39 AM
I don't often read two books concurrently but right now I'm reading So, Anyway..., the autobiography of John Cleese and after many years of planning to read it I finally started Catch-22.

Heather19
07-24-2016, 09:11 AM
I started and finished My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix in a day. I'm very impressed. I passed on his Horrorstor because it seemed gimmicky. I almost passed on this too but changed my mind after only a chapter. This book will pull you right in.

Sounds interesting, just added it to my list.

Finished The Fireman. Not sure why I've heard things about bad reviews because I really enjoyed it. The ending was a little flat for me, but maybe I'm used to that with his dad, that it didn't bother me.

Might read an old King book next. Was going to reread Salems Lot for a bookclub this week, but I don't think I'll finish it in time, so might re-read It or maybe one I haven't read yet.

Ricky
07-24-2016, 11:17 AM
I think my next King is going to be Eyes of the Dragon. Haven't read that one yet but have heard good things from the people here.

Just finished The Bad Seed (loved the movie, but the book was pretty slow and a little overwritten), and started The Amityville Horror. After that it might be Blake Crouch's new one. Still haven't gotten around to reading The Fireman, though.

biomieg
07-24-2016, 11:52 AM
After that it might be Blake Crouch's new one.

Is it out yet? Dark Matter, right? I have it on preorder somewhere - I'm really looking forward to it!

Ricky
07-24-2016, 01:23 PM
Yup, it comes out on the 26th. I've read some good reviews, so I'm hoping it's good. At least better than Run. *ahem* Heather. ;)

Heather19
07-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Yep comes out this week I believe. Maybe I'll hold off and read that one next.

jsmcmullen92
07-24-2016, 06:36 PM
I think my next King is going to be Eyes of the Dragon. Haven't read that one yet but have heard good things from the people here.

Just finished The Bad Seed (loved the movie, but the book was pretty slow and a little overwritten), and started The Amityville Horror. After that it might be Blake Crouch's new one. Still haven't gotten around to reading The Fireman, though.
EOTD and Amityville Horror are great reads! Both drew me in and held on great

Aronstg
07-24-2016, 09:41 PM
Starting Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt tonight. Really excited to start this out.

webstar1000
07-25-2016, 03:07 AM
Starting Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt tonight. Really excited to start this out.

Aron, really interested to hear your thoughts... let us know!

WeDealInLead
07-26-2016, 05:07 PM
Argh, I finished Children of the Dark only to later realize that's the prequel to Savage Species. The story seemed to sort of finish its arc but it still stopped a little too suddenly. After a little nosing around I found out why it ended the way it did.

I also read The Sadist's Bible by Nicole Cushing. Pretty satisfying novella, it reminded me of early Barker when he still did unspeakable things to his characters. I thought her novella Children of No One from Dark Fuse was a more interesting story but really, she can spin a mean (pun intended) yarn and if you're looking for a no-BS horror story with good characters, look her up.

I'm reading Victor LaValle's The Ballad of Black Tom and then Christopher Buehlman's The Suicide Motor Club. Gotta love my local library. It's at 4.9 stars on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Suicide-Motor-Club-Christopher-Buehlman/dp/1101988738/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

webstar1000
07-27-2016, 03:03 AM
Nearing the end of EOW.... not sure what to read next. I always have something lined up too!!!! I would love to start a series that is a fun easy read that I CANNOT PUT DOWN! Help? :)

Br!an
07-27-2016, 03:15 AM
"Dark Matter" by Blake Crouch comes out today.

Ben Mears
07-27-2016, 04:43 AM
Nearing the end of EOW.... not sure what to read next. I always have something lined up too!!!! I would love to start a series that is a fun easy read that I CANNOT PUT DOWN! Help? :)

The Lucas Davenport "Prey" series by John Sanford or the Hap & Leonard series by Joe Lansdale.

Heather19
07-27-2016, 04:02 PM
"Dark Matter" by Blake Crouch comes out today.

Really enjoying it so far. Has anyone else started it yet?

Heather19
07-27-2016, 04:05 PM

Can't remember but have you read Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer yet? I absolutely love the first and highly recommend it. Not a fan of book 2 or 3 though. But that one can definitely stand on it's own.

webstar1000
07-27-2016, 04:07 PM

Can't remember but have you read Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer yet? I absolutely love the first and highly recommend it. Not a fan of book 2 or 3 though. But that one can definitely stand on it's own.

It was the most hated series I have ever read. Sorry but it really was

WeDealInLead
07-27-2016, 04:25 PM
John Scalzi - Old Man's War series. It's science fiction with neat ideas and pretty much nonstop action. No crazy technical details, the story is pretty much all-go-no-slow from the start. You could also try Haldeman's The Forever War books.

Dennis Lehane has two different series but the name escapes me. Dan Simmons has Joe Kurtz. Also Hyperion but you might not dig that. Del Toro's The Strain might be an obvious choice but that's one fine story.

fernandito
07-27-2016, 04:28 PM
Everything and their mothers should read Hyperion.

HONKYTONKSMASH
07-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Hyperion was fantastic

HONKYTONKSMASH
07-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Also vouch for the Joe Kurtz trilogy

Heather19
07-27-2016, 04:47 PM

No need to be sorry. I completely understand that with books 2 and 3, but you didn't enjoy the first at all?

webstar1000
07-27-2016, 04:50 PM

No need to be sorry. I completely understand that with books 2 and 3, but you didn't enjoy the first at all?
No your right. I really liked the first one... He last 2 were so bad I forgot the first if ya know what I mean.

webstar1000
07-27-2016, 04:51 PM
The whole Hyperion series or just the first book? I am intrigued to be honest.... The Only Simmons I have not liked was Illium. The rest of his stuff I have loved....

HONKYTONKSMASH
07-27-2016, 04:53 PM
The whole Hyperion series or just the first book? I am intrigued to be honest.... The Only Simmons I have not liked was Illium. The rest of his stuff I have loved....

Yeah I'm right there with ya. Ilium was meh for me but the rest of his stuff is fantastic. I highly recommend the whole Hyperion Saga

webstar1000
07-27-2016, 04:54 PM
K that and Joe K I am going to tackle. Thanks brother!

HONKYTONKSMASH
07-27-2016, 04:55 PM
Rock on :thumbsup:

Heather19
07-27-2016, 04:55 PM

No your right. I really liked the first one... He last 2 were so bad I forgot the first if ya know what I mean.

I just pretend books 2 and 3 don't exist :D

mae
07-27-2016, 04:59 PM
Jeff Vandermeer is amazing, Heather. Check out some of his other stuff, especially the short stories and novellas.

Heather19
07-27-2016, 05:46 PM
I should check out some of his other books. Are there one or two in particular that you recommend?

fernandito
07-27-2016, 05:48 PM
The whole Hyperion series or just the first book? I am intrigued to be honest....
I highly recommend the whole Hyperion Saga
I've only read the first 2 novels of the saga (the second half of the series takes place hundreds of year in the future and are a almost a completely different story), and both are God tier science fiction.

mae
07-27-2016, 05:55 PM
I should check out some of his other books. Are there one or two in particular that you recommend?

I haven't read everything but check out The Third Bear, which contains the amazing novella The Situation and his earlier collection City of Saints and Madmen. Very surreal stuff and beautifully written.

webstar1000
07-28-2016, 03:07 AM

I haven't read everything but check out The Third Bear, which contains the amazing novella The Situation and his earlier collection City of Saints and Madmen. Very surreal stuff and beautifully written.

I will never read another book of his again. I am sorry but he is horrible.... it is the first time in my life I completely gave up on reading a book... ever.

mae
07-28-2016, 05:54 AM
Hey, no accounting for taste, right?

webstar1000
07-28-2016, 06:11 AM
Hey, no accounting for taste, right?

?

WeDealInLead
07-28-2016, 03:54 PM
The Suicide Motor Club was pretty satisfying. I finished the book in two days. It's pretty Koontzian in style but without dogs and "quirky" dialogue. He disposes of people with ease only matched by King.

I'm reading select stories from The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke. That's one big book.

zelig
07-28-2016, 04:34 PM
Reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi after seeing it recommended somewhere here. Enjoying it so far.

sharki69
07-28-2016, 04:55 PM
Word of radiance by Brandon Sanderson

This is the second book of "The stormlight archive " series (first book was "the way of kings"

Excellent so far!!!

biomieg
07-28-2016, 10:49 PM
Does anyone here read books from Jeffery Deaver, Tess Gerritsen and Mo Hayder? My wife and I really like them but I don't think I've ever seen anyone here mention them. Just curious.

And does anyone have a clue what happened to Cody McFadyen, by the way? He wrote some awesome serial killer books and then competely vanished even though there was supposed to be another book in the series (last time I checked his website hadn't been updated since 2011).

Also, anyone here ever read books by Daniel Hecht? Great 'gothic neuropsychological noir' books.

jsmcmullen92
07-29-2016, 04:17 AM
Word of radiance by Brandon Sanderson

This is the second book of "The stormlight archive " series (first book was "the way of kings"

Excellent so far!!!

How long are they taking you? I just opened up The Way of Kings and realized it was 1000+ pages and put it back on the shelf for another day lol.

With my trip to Colorado next week I figure there is no better time to start The Shining!

Joe315
07-29-2016, 11:18 PM
Does anyone here read books from Jeffery Deaver, Tess Gerritsen and Mo Hayder? My wife and I really like them but I don't think I've ever seen anyone here mention them. Just curious.

And does anyone have a clue what happened to Cody McFadyen, by the way? He wrote some awesome serial killer books and then competely vanished even though there was supposed to be another book in the series (last time I checked his website hadn't been updated since 2011).

Also, anyone here ever read books by Daniel Hecht? Great 'gothic neuropsychological noir' books.

Apparently McFadyen was sick for a while but his next book is to be released in September, at least that what Amazon says.

biomieg
07-30-2016, 04:18 AM
Thanks! I did not know that!

Jean
07-30-2016, 06:18 AM
Currently reading: Revival (by youknowwho)

mixed feelings
like, enjoying it immensely in spite of everything

Jean
07-30-2016, 06:22 AM

I will never read another book of his again. I am sorry but he is horrible.... it is the first time in my life I completely gave up on reading a book... ever.

haven't been here for ages, and am exceptionally glad to recognize the old forum spirit http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif.html)

Mattrick
07-31-2016, 05:57 PM
I'm 850 pages into IT. Going to read the end while hanging out around the filming site next week. Will be freaky to look up and see Pennywise.

Mattrick
07-31-2016, 06:03 PM
Currently reading: Revival (by youknowwho)

mixed feelings
like, enjoying it immensely in spite of everything

How goes my book? Still anxiously awaiting the opinion of bears! Ib think you'd really like the novella I'm writing right now.

WeDealInLead
08-01-2016, 10:34 AM
Paul Tremblay - Disappearance at Devil's Rock
Benjamin Kane Etheridge - This House...

Heather19
08-01-2016, 10:46 AM

How is this one?

biomieg
08-01-2016, 12:46 PM
I am rereading The Passage and The Twelve. I found myself unable to jump straight into City of Mirrors after a hiatus of what, three years? The Passage still holds up pretty well so far!

After Cronin I will need to get back into Simmons and McCammon.

HONKYTONKSMASH
08-01-2016, 01:18 PM
I am rereading The Passage and The Twelve. I found myself unable to jump straight into City of Mirrors after a hiatus of what, three years? The Passage still holds up pretty well so far!

After Cronin I will need to get back into Simmons and McCammon.

Just finished the Passage myself. It was a pretty good read for sure. Also good idea on Simmons and McCammon(two of my favorites) :thumbsup:

Jean
08-02-2016, 08:14 AM
How goes my book? Still anxiously awaiting the opinion of bears! Ib think you'd really like the novella I'm writing right now.
had to lay it aside for awhile, there were a clupla moments in the middle when it started touching me deeper than what I was ready for. Now doing mainly popular genre fiction, the lighter the better. Will get back to yours as soon as am strong enough. What I did read was superb, every word I said to you before is true. I love love love the writing, and it's not something bears often say. Want the novella too!!!!!!!!!

WeDealInLead
08-02-2016, 09:33 AM

How is this one?

Pretty good but I'm only 35 or so pages in.

Heather19
08-02-2016, 09:35 AM

How is this one?

I've only read A Headful of Ghosts, but since then I've been wanting to check out some of his other books. This one sounded really interesting. Let me know what you think when you're done.

mae
08-02-2016, 01:37 PM
I hope both bears and Heathers try The Third Bear:

https://tachyonpublications.com/product/the-third-bear/

Compared by critics to Borges, Nabokov, and Kafka, contemporary fantasist Jeff VanderMeer (The Southern Reach Trilogy) continues to amaze with this surreal, innovative, and absurdist gathering of award-winning short fiction. Exotic beasts and improbable travelers roam restlessly through these darkly diverting and finely honed tales.

In “The Situation,” a beleaguered office worker creates a child-swallowing manta-ray to be used for educational purposes (once described as Dilbert meets Gormenghast). In “Three Days in a Border Town,” a sharpshooter seeks the truth about her husband in an elusive floating city beyond a far-future horizon; “Errata” follows an oddly familiar writer who has marshaled a penguin, a shaman, and two pearl-handled pistols with which to plot the end of the world. Also included are two stories original to this collection, including “The Quickening,” in which a lonely child is torn between familial obligation and loyalty to a maligned talking rabbit.

Chimerical and hypnotic, VanderMeer leads readers through the postmodern into a new literature of the imagination.

DoctorDodge
08-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Bought this while in America last year:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51G3XZDQ5AL.jpg

Finally picked it up again. Such an absorbing read. I love 70s rock music, punk in particular, and this book covers so much of that period from so many sides.

Jean
08-03-2016, 09:05 AM
I hope both bears and Heathers try The Third Bear:

https://tachyonpublications.com/product/the-third-bear/

Compared by critics to Borges, Nabokov, and Kafka
I too hope we will!! You kidding? they say - compared to three writers I adore every word of?... OMG, now got to find it.
The word "postmodern" kinda put me off a bit... but - "through the postmodern, into a new literature of the imagination" should probably mean that he left the postmodern behind somewheres along the way

Mattrick
08-03-2016, 01:23 PM
had to lay it aside for awhile, there were a clupla moments in the middle when it started touching me deeper than what I was ready for. Now doing mainly popular genre fiction, the lighter the better. Will get back to yours as soon as am strong enough. What I did read was superb, every word I said to you before is true. I love love love the writing, and it's not something bears often say. Want the novella too!!!!!!!!!

It's definitely not a pleasant read, that's for sure. I was sure happy to get away from such morose, miserable characters for awhile! lol

Jean
08-03-2016, 09:53 PM
I paused my reading as soon as I started realizing that their misery evokes way too much in bears' soul. By the way, I am not sure it's a good thing for a piece of literature. Not sure it's a bad thing, either, though.

WeDealInLead
08-05-2016, 03:18 AM

How is this one?

I've only read A Headful of Ghosts, but since then I've been wanting to check out some of his other books. This one sounded really interesting. Let me know what you think when you're done.

Quick update: I'm on page 50 and the writing is similar in style to A Head Full of Ghosts; nicely constructed sentences, good flow, believable dialogue and such. Still, I would carry AHFoG with me and read it in the car, on break, pretty much everywhere I could any chance I could get. This one I leave at home and read when I can get to it. I'm not sure what this means.

I'm also reading Gary Fry's collection Shades of Nothingness from PS. Incredible collection of "quiet horror". First story is both a bummer and a disorienting dreamstate jam. Into it. It costs 2 GBP from PS2 and I couldn't recommend it more. Straub meets Grant. Here's the link: http://pspublishing2.com/shades-of-nothingness-hardcover-by-gary-fry-616-p.asp

Mattrick
08-05-2016, 09:49 AM
I paused my reading as soon as I started realizing that their misery evokes way too much in bears' soul. By the way, I am not sure it's a good thing for a piece of literature. Not sure it's a bad thing, either, though.

I have a penchant for writing miserable/not nice characters. Too many characters are too clean these days. I like to throw them in the mud and then pour garbage on them just to see what happenes.

Heather19
08-05-2016, 02:03 PM
Finished Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. Really enjoyed it. Even though you can figure out where its going early on, it still surprised me in numerous places. Has anyone else read it yet.

Ricky
08-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Jeeze, you didn't waste any time. My copy just got here yesterday. Have about 20 pages of The Amityville Horror left before I start it.

Heather19
08-07-2016, 11:26 AM
I hope you love it Ricky!

Still Servant
08-07-2016, 03:35 PM
I had my annual visit to the Book Barn last week. Here are my findings:

The Terminal Man - Michael Crichton

The Visitor - Lee Child

The 25th Hour - David Benioff

The Silver Linings Playbook - Matthew Quick

The Beardless Warriors - Richard Matheson

Descent - Tim Johnston

The Girl in the Spider's Web - David Lagercrantz

Snowpiercer: Volume 2

I really do love that place. It's a little overwhelming at times and I didn't find a ton of stuff I was looking for, but I had a great time. I will say that the Hyperion series is really hard to find. I find a lot of Simmons stuff, but none of it is the Hyperion series.

Brian861
08-07-2016, 03:38 PM
Just finished Locke & Key. What an awesome story! Have yet to read the one shots though.

zelig
08-07-2016, 04:57 PM
I picked up an ARC for the new Alan Moore book Jerusalem that will be published next month. It arrived yesterday and I looked at it and decided that it's not something I felt ready to tackle right now. It is 1279 pages and according to one article I read it has more than 1,000,000 words. Anyway, I started reading the first paragraph with no intention of going any further than that, but so far I have not be able to put it down. It's a massive book so let's hope it holds my attention throughout. So far so good.

mae
08-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Seeing amazing feedback regarding Jerusalem. Will be picking up a copy.

Stebbins
08-08-2016, 06:37 AM
ELON MUSK

Ricky
08-08-2016, 02:24 PM

Let me know what you think when you get to it. I haven't read it and really don't plan to. Since it wasn't written by Larsson, to me it's essentially fan fiction.

WeDealInLead
08-08-2016, 03:52 PM

How is this one?

Quick update: I'm on page 50 and the writing is similar in style to A Head Full of Ghosts; nicely constructed sentences, good flow, believable dialogue and such. Still, I would carry AHFoG with me and read it in the car, on break, pretty much everywhere I could any chance I could get. This one I leave at home and read when I can get to it. I'm not sure what this means.

All right, this one gets my seal of approval. Page ninety-something and things got real. I like being blindsided by reveals.

I'm also reading Odd Adventures with Your Other Father by Norman Prentiss.

Still Servant
08-11-2016, 05:09 PM

Let me know what you think when you get to it. I haven't read it and really don't plan to. Since it wasn't written by Larsson, to me it's essentially fan fiction.

I still have to read Hornet's Nest.

I just started Red Rising today. I love dystopian stuff. So far it feels like a mix between Hunger Games, Song of Ice and Fire, A Brave New World and Wool.

biomieg
08-12-2016, 10:35 AM
Still working my way through The Passage but happy that this arrived:

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13924866_10209663449973678_1945480416992172335_n.j pg?oh=6399c895eec0c4eb5b69e59dde6a7253&oe=581A4F82

Heather19
08-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Still working my way through The Passage but happy that this arrived:

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13924866_10209663449973678_1945480416992172335_n.j pg?oh=6399c895eec0c4eb5b69e59dde6a7253&oe=581A4F82

:thumbsup:
Just finished it, and loved it. Let me know what you think.

Ricky
08-12-2016, 12:13 PM
Was just going to post about Dark Matter. I'm really enjoying it so far. Up to page 175. It's getting hard to put down, which is a quality I haven't found in a book for a while. :)

Heather19
08-18-2016, 08:38 AM
Was just going to post about Dark Matter. I'm really enjoying it so far. Up to page 175. It's getting hard to put down, which is a quality I haven't found in a book for a while. :)

Awesome :thumbsup: What part are you at Ricky? It gets pretty crazy.

I'm currently reading the Spiral Staircase. Really enjoying it so far.

Ricky
08-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Was just coming here to say that I just finished it. I didn't think I'd be too crazy about it from reading the synopsis, but I ended up really liking it. Probably the most fun and enjoyable book I've read all summer (and maybe even before that). It still doesn't top Wayward Pines for me, but it is MILES above Run. :lol:

I loved the suspense and readability of it, especially the first two-thirds. I didn't not like the last third, but once it got to the part with all the Jasons I wasn't as hooked. I think I would've liked it more had the conflict just focused on Jason and Jason2.

Also, sometimes Crouch's short sentences.
And paragraphs.
Like this.
Get on my nerves.
And feels a little amateurish.
But I think it generally worked with first person and Jason's perspective.

And I know she wasn't a main character, but it would have been nice to know what happened to Amanda.

DoctorZaius
08-18-2016, 12:50 PM
Lee Child - No Go Back. Loving the book, as I do with all Jack Reacher novels. Just saw the trailer with Tom Cruise - less than enthused.

Heather19
08-18-2016, 02:41 PM
Was just coming here to say that I just finished it. I didn't think I'd be too crazy about it from reading the synopsis, but I ended up really liking it. Probably the most fun and enjoyable book I've read all summer (and maybe even before that). It still doesn't top Wayward Pines for me, but it is MILES above Run. :lol:

I loved the suspense and readability of it, especially the first two-thirds. I didn't not like the last third, but once it got to the part with all the Jasons I wasn't as hooked. I think I would've liked it more had the conflict just focused on Jason and Jason2.

Also, sometimes Crouch's short sentences.
And paragraphs.
Like this.
Get on my nerves.
And feels a little amateurish.
But I think it generally worked with first person and Jason's perspective.

And I know she wasn't a main character, but it would have been nice to know what happened to Amanda.

I'm so glad you liked it Ricky. I think I'd rank it third behind Wayward Pines and then Run :D

I loved the part when all the Jason's appeared. You figure out right away what's going on but that I didn't foresee that at all. I'll admit though that it did get a bit crazy, and maybe a little too much, especially how a lot of them we're so willing to kill each other. I'm not sure I could ever kill myself :lol: And I too wonder what happened to Amanda. Also I wonder if that was really his family, or was it a different Jason's family? What do you think?

Ricky
08-18-2016, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I don't know if I could do that either especially considering how most were like him and just wanted to get back to his family.

And I thought that when he got back to "his" world that it might not be his family, but since he seemed so confident that he was back in his world, with his family, I just believed him. I guess it could not be his family and he just doesn't know, but the way their reunion was written and how they're starting a new life, it all seemed to indicate that it was his family.

There were lots of times during the book where I thought he'd give up trying to get home and just settle for another version of his Daniela, which would have been kind of bittersweet. I liked that it took so many turns and never really knew how it was going to end.

WeDealInLead
08-25-2016, 03:33 AM
Gave up on Hex. Good story but the writing is clunky. Americanizing the story was a bad move too.

Starting China Mieville's new jam. Luckily, it's a novella. I hope he sticks to 200 pagers from now on.

Heather19
08-25-2016, 04:50 AM
Just finished The Spiral Staircase by Ethel Lina White. Really enjoyed it. I do wonder why every film version has the main character Helen as a mute while she is anything but in the books.

Mattrick
08-25-2016, 11:33 PM
50 pages into Room by Emma Donahue. It's great so far. Looking forward to finally rewatching the incredible film when I'm done!

biomieg
08-26-2016, 01:40 AM
Finished The Passage (2nd reread), The Twelve (1st reread) and City of Mirrors. The Passage was still great, and I liked The Twelve much better this time. I also really liked City of Mirrors. Well done, Mr. Cronin!

I'm now reading a Jeffery Deaver thriller and will dive into Dark Matter after I finish it, probably in a couple of days.

webstar1000
08-26-2016, 04:13 AM
Finished The Passage (2nd reread), The Twelve (1st reread) and City of Mirrors. The Passage was still great, and I liked The Twelve much better this time. I also really liked City of Mirrors. Well done, Mr. Cronin!

I'm now reading a Jeffery Deaver thriller and will dive into Dark Matter after I finish it, probably in a couple of days.

I know he? IT was just a really great, well written story:)

webstar1000
08-26-2016, 04:14 AM
Nearing End Of Watch... really my least fav by far of the trilogy. I really hate the direction King felt he had to take. Almost silly... oh well.

zelig
08-26-2016, 04:34 AM
Was my least favorite of the three as well.

Sai Sheb
08-26-2016, 02:20 PM
Started liseys story and the horrific sufferings of the mind reading monster, hurcules barefoot, his wonderful love and his terrible hatred! Both bloody great... on the note if spiral staircase; in Dublin is a book store called the spiral staircase, I went in and asked"have any SK books"... the clerk said, " we don't stock that kind of book"... I was going to say he is an author, not a book. But thought I'd end up twating him if I did....

Mattrick
08-26-2016, 04:52 PM
Aww hell yeah!

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14102220_10157458525570571_6174519706108119149_n.j pg?oh=52199c5fc3dd0b45fa9b6a4d99b74835&oe=5847C406
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14054229_10157458525650571_6604903010562547960_n.j pg?oh=06f0267ff9f2e453822c9374b14258b4&oe=5857947B
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14064144_10157458525760571_5862959128336357050_n.j pg?oh=7c84cf5287cb35f52f23ed2ed0653c73&oe=5853D9DD

WeDealInLead
08-27-2016, 05:56 AM
I have that Lovecraft on the nightstand in my bedroom. Maybe that explains my dreams.

biomieg
08-28-2016, 02:04 PM
Started and finished Dark Matter today. Loved it!!

Heather19
08-29-2016, 05:09 AM
Wow, you waste no time! It was definitely a fun read.

webstar1000
08-29-2016, 06:12 AM
Dark Matter eh???? Maybe hit this next???? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................

Heather19
08-29-2016, 07:31 AM
Well I know it probably goes without saying, since I would probably recommend almost anything he's written, but I would recommend reading it :lol:

biomieg
08-29-2016, 11:55 AM
Which books would you recommend most?

Heather19
08-29-2016, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure what you've read, but the Wayward Pines series is my absolute favorite. Followed by Run and Dark Matter. I'd also highly recommend Fully Loaded which is a collection of short stories. Abandon and then Snowbound, were good but I didn't enjoy them nearly as much as the others. The only one I didn't like was Desert Places, but I'm not into serial killer stuff much so that could be why, so I haven't read the remaining books in the trilogy.

biomieg
08-29-2016, 02:08 PM
I only read Wayward Pines and Dark Matter so far. He's been quite prolific so I didn't really know what to read next - thanks for your suggestions :smile: and I do like serial killer stories so I might just check those out, too!

carlosdetweiller
08-29-2016, 06:23 PM
I am reading Bleak House by Charles Dickens. About half way through. Pretty good stuff but a guy just died by spontaneous combustion. I'm having a hard time getting past that. Seriously, Chuck?

jsmcmullen92
08-30-2016, 10:10 AM
I am about 3/4 of the way through HP and the cursed child. I am really liking it. It has a way different feel but I like the story. very interesting twist. I feel like they used some facts from the movies rather than the book in this one though so a few consistency errors

jsmcmullen92
09-01-2016, 04:52 AM
Just finished HP and the Cursed Child. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Brought back that childish feeling of reading the originals with a little less substance.

Now onto something and I don't even know what it's about. I just closed my eyes and grabbed a book at random. The Guiding Nose of Ulfant Banderoz by Dan Simmons. The language is a little confusing at first (so is Hyperion though) but not too bad so far.

Mattrick
09-01-2016, 07:30 AM
Reading through my Complete HP Lovecraft book and also starting up The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner.

carlosdetweiller
09-01-2016, 01:15 PM
Reading through my Complete HP Lovecraft book and also starting up The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner.

I gave up on The Sound and the Fury after about 80 pages. I rarely do that but it just wasn't working for me. You will see what I mean and I wish you more success with it than I had. I'm sure it is a worthy book.

I'm still reading Dickens' Bleak House and really digging it.

Br!an
09-01-2016, 01:25 PM
I love Dickens. He was quite a storyteller. I'm sure you know that he released Bleak House as a serial somewhat like The Green Mile.

carlosdetweiller
09-01-2016, 03:10 PM
I love Dickens. He was quite a storyteller. I'm sure you know that he released Bleak House as a serial somewhat like The Green Mile.

It was serialized over the course of 19 months, with only about 3 chapters each month. It makes The Green Mile seem pretty short being done over only 6 months. Dickens has said that after David Copperfield it is his next favorite novel. I'm really enjoying it. I've never read any Dickens, except for an abridged version of Great Expectations way back in junior high school. I'll probably pick up The Mystery of Edwin Drood pretty soon. I was very intrigued about this book having read Drood by Dan Simmons. So many books, so little time.

needfulthings
09-01-2016, 03:33 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/3166/H6VCaj.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img924/9900/kjVUSF.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/6836/CpvkhO.jpg

carlosdetweiller
09-01-2016, 06:27 PM
I am intrigued by that book and the completion by another author. Thanks for showing it!

jon10g
09-01-2016, 11:02 PM
'I am intrigued by that book and the completion by another author. Thanks for showing it!'

Indeed. I did not know that it had been completed. I shall have to try and track this version down having only read the unfinished version.

Br!an
09-02-2016, 07:26 AM
'I am intrigued by that book and the completion by another author. Thanks for showing it!'

Indeed. I did not know that it had been completed. I shall have to try and track this version down having only read the unfinished version.

It's been "completed" more than once.

Mattrick
09-02-2016, 03:38 PM

I gave up on The Sound and the Fury after about 80 pages. I rarely do that but it just wasn't working for me. You will see what I mean and I wish you more success with it than I had. I'm sure it is a worthy book.

I'm still reading Dickens' Bleak House and really digging it.

I'm 80 pages in now and really into it. Just have to get around the accented dialogue.

I just bought a novel called The Nest which sounds like something I'll really enjoy. Starting that next.

Ben Mears
09-05-2016, 06:34 AM
Just finished Wylding Hall an interesting novella by Elizabeth Hand. Next up is my annual 'Salem's Lot reading

jsmcmullen92
09-08-2016, 05:27 AM
So IT is time for my first read through of IT... should be an interesting one :)

webstar1000
09-08-2016, 06:36 AM
Finished End of Watch... wow what a badddddddd King book. That could have been so much better. Brutal....

BUT!

Started The Road. Nice style of writing,... I can see it being a real page turner!

Heather19
09-08-2016, 07:26 AM
So IT is time for my first read through of IT... should be an interesting one :)

Nice! You'll love it.

Mattrick
09-14-2016, 08:48 PM
The Road is a modern classic.

WeDealInLead
09-15-2016, 05:13 AM
Sakyo Komatsu - Virus. Very engaging despite the heavy scientific jargon. Imagine the virus from The Stand on 'roids. Oh, it's from space, just like The Andromeda Strain. And oh, it was published in 1964. Not saying Crichton ripped him off but it's the exact same premise, down to the virus.

The book is OOP but worthy of tracking down. The meanest apocalypse there ever was.

I'm also reading Isaac Asimov's (writing as Paul French) Lucky Starr and the Big Sun of Mercury. Minimum science, maximum pulpy sf adventure. Very cool.

webstar1000
09-16-2016, 10:17 AM
The Road is a modern classic.

Man it was such a good read. I FELT like I lived it with them... 10/10 for me... is his other work as good?

WeDealInLead
09-19-2016, 06:33 AM
It is but I found it a lot more dense too. You really have to pay attention when reading the dialogue.

Reading:
Thomas F. Monteleone - The Secret Sea
Bruce Sterling - Schismatrix Plus

I'm on a science fiction binge and I'm having a blast.

Ebdim9th
09-23-2016, 02:05 PM
I'm currently re-reading Philip K. Dick's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and reading William Gibson and Bruce Sterling's The Difference Engine, also trying to juggle in there Deus Irae co-authored by Philip K. Dick and Roger Zelazny .....

Ricky
09-26-2016, 07:06 AM
I'm in a reading freeze. I don't know what to pick. I usually like to do horror/"scary" ones for October, but still am not sure. Here's some I was thinking of. Thoughts?

Dracula
The Grownup (short)
The Fireman
Coraline
In the Tall Grass (short)
The Strain
Rosemary's Baby (saw the movie, but love Levin's writing)
Hell House
Doctor Sleep (+ The Shining re-read)
Bag of Bones (I'm down to the '90s' King books: Rose Madder, Bag of Bones, Dreamcatcher, etc.)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

webstar1000
09-26-2016, 07:25 AM
I'm in a reading freeze. I don't know what to pick. I usually like to do horror/"scary" ones for October, but still am not sure. Here's some I was thinking of. Thoughts?

Dracula
The Grownup (short)
The Fireman
Coraline
The Strain
Hell House
Bag of Bones (I'm down to the '90s' King books: Rose Madder, Bag of Bones, Dreamcatcher, etc.)

I was thinking of reading the Strain... I watch the show... books any good all?

biomieg
09-26-2016, 08:57 AM
I really liked them!

mae
09-26-2016, 09:15 AM

Maybe because I started reading King in 1994-95 but I really like the '90s novels. Rose Madder and Bag of Bones are particular favorites.

Mattrick
09-27-2016, 04:54 PM

Dracula
The Grownup (short)
The Fireman
Coraline
The Strain
Hell House

My book is a horror :D

WeDealInLead
10-04-2016, 04:55 PM
I'm almost finished with Aickman's Heir's (an anthology edited by Simon Strantzas). Pretty solid throughout with only a few stinkers. Some of the contributions rely heavily on style and the story itself doesn't appear to be important. I don't mind the language typical for this style of story telling at all but that can't be everything.

Starting something by Al Sarrantonio, just need to decide what. It's October, after all.

Girlystevedave
10-06-2016, 09:30 AM

I forgot that I added Rosemary's Baby to my list a while back. I never got around to reading it, but I've heard good things. If you decide to give it a go, let me know, and maybe I'll read it along with you. :)

It's been a while on Rose Madder and Bag of Bones for me, but I really enjoyed both of them. :thumbsup:

Steer clear of Dreamcatcher. You have been warned. :lol:

Jean
10-06-2016, 09:34 AM
magic words "Rosemary's Baby" brought bears back from their hibernation

and, by the way, Dreamcatcher isn't the worst

Lisey's Story is

zelig
10-06-2016, 10:24 AM
I liked Lisey's. There was a part of it I didn't like but all in all, I thought it was a good book. Haven't read Dreamcatcher.

Brice
10-06-2016, 10:37 AM
Rosemary's Baby is one of the best novels ever imo.

Heather19
10-06-2016, 01:46 PM
Finally finished Christine. Forgot how good the book was.

I really enjoyed Dreamcatcher. A portion of it takes place nearby where I live, so maybe that adds to my love it. And I agree with Jean, Lisey's Story is horrible.

I think I need to add Rosemary's Baby to my to-read list :)

Brian861
10-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Concur. Christine always been a huge favorite. Have yet to read Dreamcatcher.

Ricky
10-06-2016, 02:13 PM
I decided on The Fireman and am liking it so far.

I forgot that I added Rosemary's Baby to my list a while back. I never got around to reading it, but I've heard good things. If you decide to give it a go, let me know, and maybe I'll read it along with you. :)

magic words "Rosemary's Baby" brought bears back from their hibernation

Rosemary's Baby is one of the best novels ever imo.

I think I need to add Rosemary's Baby to my to-read list :)

It sounds like we all need to do a group read of Rosemary's Baby. ;)

webstar1000
10-06-2016, 04:00 PM
I would have read the Fireman but so many seemed unimpressed. Would love a really good end of the world book.... I find them fascinating. LOVED the Road. Cannot believe it took me this long to do it. What's some of you all' favourite end of time books?

Brian861
10-06-2016, 04:02 PM
The Stand hands down is my all time favorite, period. Swan Song isn't bad either. Haven't read The Fireman yet. Was advised to read some earlier Hill first before jumping into that one.

Heather19
10-06-2016, 04:16 PM
I really enjoyed The Fireman. Surprised to see others not like it. Brian, have you read any Joe Hill yet? I don't think it's necessary to read his earlier books first. But if you do, I'd start with his first two. Twentieth Century Ghosts and Heart Shaped Box were both very good. I'd rank The Fireman up there with them. NOS4A2 was ok, but dragged a bit for me. And Horns I started to read but never finished. I'll have to give it another shot sometime.

Brian861
10-06-2016, 04:21 PM
I really enjoyed The Fireman. Surprised to see others not like it. Brian, have you read any Joe Hill yet? I don't think it's necessary to read his earlier books first. But if you do, I'd start with his first two. Twentieth Century Ghosts and Heart Shaped Box were both very good. I'd rank The Fireman up there with them. NOS4A2 was ok, but dragged a bit for me. And Horns I started to read but never finished. I'll have to give it another shot sometime.

Hi, Heather. The only thing I've read so far by him is Locke & Key and I loved the hell out of it! I was pretty much advised to start with the titles that you suggested. I have two of the three here so hope to get to 'em at some point. I've heard others rave about Horns.

Heather19
10-06-2016, 04:38 PM
I love Locke & Key as well. Still need to finish it though. I think I've got 2 more volumes to go. And I've heard lots of people rave about Horns too. I didn't hate what I read but, I'm not sure why I wasn't that into it. Maybe I was just going into one of my reading blocks.

Brian861
10-06-2016, 04:43 PM
I love Locke & Key as well. Still need to finish it though. I think I've got 2 more volumes to go. And I've heard lots of people rave about Horns too. I didn't hate what I read but, I'm not sure why I wasn't that into it. Maybe I was just going into one of my reading blocks.

Very well could have been. I brought home all 6 HC volumes of Locke & Key from the library and devoured them! I just couldn't stop turning pages. Your willpower is much better than mine :).

webstar1000
10-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Swan Song eh.... heard others talk about that one.

Ricky
10-06-2016, 06:15 PM
I would have read the Fireman but so many seemed unimpressed. Would love a really good end of the world book.... I find them fascinating. LOVED the Road. Cannot believe it took me this long to do it. What's some of you all' favourite end of time books?

The Passage, for sure.

zelig
10-06-2016, 06:53 PM
It's interesting to hear these different opinions. I wasn't overjoyed with Fireman.

I loved NOS4A2. Now..... Horns. Some of you may know how much I've raved about that book before. Horns for me is an absolutely brilliant book. There is so much in here below the surface and the story is delivered so darn well. It is without doubt one of my absolute favorite novels. It just meant so much to me. Ok I'll stop. Loved it!

Peace.

Edit: And yes. Christine is a favorite for sure. I recently posted a passage from it in the SK quotes thread. Amazing writing there.

Ben Staad
10-06-2016, 06:56 PM
The Road is amazing. There are not many that are better. I'm not sure if others liked it but I enjoyed Bird Box by Josh Malerman a lot as well.

In regards to Joe Hill I really want to like his work but haven't cared for his last two novels at all. I barely finished NOS4R2 and didn't finish The Fireman. My favorite from him, and one of my favorites period, is 20th Century Ghosts. So many great stories in that book that are creative and very well thought out.

I'm sure I mentioned this one here before but I re-read Westlake Soul by Rio Youers and still found it to be fantastic. (This one isn't about the end of the World)

Girlystevedave
10-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Now..... Horns. Some of you may know how much I've raved about that book before. Horns for me is an absolutely brilliant book. There is so much in here below the surface and the story is delivered so darn well. It is without doubt one of my absolute favorite novels. It just meant so much to me. Ok I'll stop. Loved it!

Yes. Horns is one of those books that I first struggled to get into, but then it hooked me, pulled me in, then ripped the rug out from under me.

zelig
10-06-2016, 07:17 PM
That's a good way of saying it. Horns is a love story at heart. And one of the best love stories I've read.

biomieg
10-06-2016, 10:52 PM
Kris: you can't go wrong with McCammon's Swan Song. Tim's suggestion of Bird Box is also a good one (it's the opposite from epic in scope, though, if that's what you are looking for.

Re: Joe Hill - I liked all of his works a lot. To me he's not in the same league as his dad but he's a lot more creative and eclectic. The Fireman was great but probably too long.

Girlystevedave
10-07-2016, 05:10 AM
One thing I've noticed about Joe Hill is that opinions of his works all over the place. I loved Horns, but I know that I've heard so many people talk about how they didn't like it, but loved NOS4A2 or Heart Shaped Box. I didn't enjoy 20th Century Ghosts, whereas so many people rave about that one. I guess there's no one Joe Hill book that everyone likes equally. :lol:

The Fireman was great but probably too long.

I really want to read The Fireman, but I'm reluctant to since I've heard a lot of people talk about how it seems to drag out.

Girlystevedave
10-07-2016, 05:13 AM
Currently Reading: The Last Reef by Gareth Powell.
Just a short story collection to hold me over until I figure out what to jump into next.

Heather19
10-07-2016, 05:17 AM

Very well could have been. I brought home all 6 HC volumes of Locke & Key from the library and devoured them! I just couldn't stop turning pages. Your willpower is much better than mine :).

It's probably because I was reading the volumes as they were released so by the time the new one came out I had to go back and read the previous ones again. I think I have them all now though so I can finally go and do a complete read of them. :)

Edit: And yes. Christine is a favorite for sure. I recently posted a passage from it in the SK quotes thread. Amazing writing there.

And also one of the cheesiest lines ever. I wish I could remember it but I burst out laughing when I read it. I think it had something to do with describing one of Dennis's girlfriends. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit - I found it!
"I wanted nothing but the best for Arnie, but she was really something - seventeen going on eighteen, gorgeous, perfect, healthy, alive to everything in her world. Roseanne was beautiful in her way, but Leigh made Roseanne look like a tree sloth taking a nap"
:rofl:

Brian861
10-07-2016, 06:36 AM

It's probably because I was reading the volumes as they were released so by the time the new one came out I had to go back and read the previous ones again. I think I have them all now though so I can finally go and do a complete read of them. :)

And also one of the cheesiest lines ever. I wish I could remember it but I burst out laughing when I read it. I think it had something to do with describing one of Dennis's girlfriends. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit - I found it!
"I wanted nothing but the best for Arnie, but she was really something - seventeen gong on eighteen, gorgeous, perfect, healthy, alive to everything in her world. Roseanne was beautiful in her way, but Leigh made Roseanne look like a tree sloth taking a nap"
:rofl:

That makes sense, Heather about Locke & Key. I read the first issue of Tales from the Darkside and really liked it. I still need to get down to the comic shop and pick up the other issues.

Love the Christine quote interpretation! :emot-roflolmao:

webstar1000
10-07-2016, 07:10 AM
Gonna read Swan Song after I finish Dark Matter.. which I think is amazing by the way. Love Blake Crouch... hope to read more of him.

Heather19
10-07-2016, 07:38 AM
:thumbsup: Blake Crouch is easily my newest favorite author. I've devoured almost everything by him.

Brian861
10-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Just finished up Joe Hill's Tales from the Darkside. I really liked the first one and the second and third looked like it might have had potential. Hopefully he'll do more as it seems incomplete to me. Anyway, my reading copies are up for grabs if anyone is interested. Just PM me your info.

Ben Mears
10-10-2016, 10:10 AM
Razor Girl by Carl Hiaasen.

WeDealInLead
10-10-2016, 10:38 AM
The Mountain Walked
Blind Voices

Heather19
10-11-2016, 01:31 PM
Just started re-reading The Green Mile for a book club this month. Flying through it. Forgot how good it is. And I love the serial format. Makes me more motivated to read a little longer when I know I only have 1 more chapter left versus 20. I also love how he leaves the readers hanging. The end of book 2 was insane. Luckily I don't have to wait a month this time, only a day to read it :lol: It really does make me wish that he would release another serial novel.

zelig
10-11-2016, 01:39 PM
Loved The Green Mile.

Brian861
10-12-2016, 10:19 AM
Loved The Green Mile.

Ditto!

becca69
10-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Kushiel's Dart (since I invested in the S/L, thought I better read it).

WeDealInLead
10-14-2016, 04:23 AM
I finished Tom Reamy's Blind Voices yesterday. I still don't get what the title of the book has to do with the story. Nice story with elegant writing, it's pretty Bradburyesque. It didn't make me break out the credit card to get the limited from PS Publishing, but if you're looking for fall reading this is it. It doesn't get more seasonal than evil comes to small town in October.

I picked up Joyce Carol Oates' The Doll-Maker and Other Stories from the library. Pretty cool so far. The opening story has Oates laying all cards on the table; she could've gone for a cheap twist/reveal at the end but she goes all out right away and reveals who the killer is and what is it that he does. It really shouldn't work because every action is telegraphed way in advance but she still manages to keep the story eerie and suspenseful. A sign of good writing, I think. Imagine King's Strawberry Spring turned inside out and that's pretty much it.

Girlystevedave
10-14-2016, 04:55 AM
I picked up Joyce Carol Oates' The Doll-Maker and Other Stories from the library. Pretty cool so far. The opening story has Oates laying all cards on the table; she could've gone for a cheap twist/reveal at the end but she goes all out right away and reveals who the killer is and what is it that he does. It really shouldn't work because every action is telegraphed way in advance but she still manages to keep the story eerie and suspenseful. A sign of good writing, I think. Imagine King's Strawberry Spring turned inside out and that's pretty much it.

That has me intrigued. :orely:

WeDealInLead
10-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Cixin Liu - Death's End

This is going to be my #1 read of the year. Although it's very different from Dune in its plot and theme, it's similar in density, ideas, and just good science. It's also a fresh take on why broadcasting our existence to the universe might not be such a great idea.

Heather19
10-20-2016, 01:55 PM
Finished The Green Mile. I was reading the afterword, and he says that he'll most likely never do another serial novel, but I really hope he does consider it again. Also he talks about how The Green Mile wouldn't work as being a single novel. I only have the serialized paperbacks, so my question is, is the version that was released where it was all together in one book, just each 6 parts put together. Or does he change the story a bit? He specifically mentions a few inaccuracies, and how he may or may not fix them if he decided to release it as one novel. And also how it wouldn't work because in each part he does a little refreshing of events for the reader. Although those are done in a framing story, but it got me wondering if that version was different.

I'm also almost done listening to the audiobook of 11/22/63. The narrator is really good. This is probably easily in my top 10 books. I love how there's so much detail that you really feel as if you're back in time with him. And I love the nod to Derry and It.

Ricky
10-20-2016, 03:40 PM
I read The Green Mile as one book and don't remember it feeling "off" in any way as I read it. And I'll have to check my copy, but I'm pretty confident the book was broken up in the same parts that the serial had.

Roland of Gilead 33
10-20-2016, 07:32 PM
i have them singles, i'm missing parts 1 and 2 because like a fucking idiot i am i lent it to a friend and the dumb bitch didn't return it. it still pisses me off as you can tell and haven't seen her in years because i lost touch with her years ago. anyways having vented a bit here sorry about that, i also have the Tom Hanks Paperback as well as the Box and Case of them all together as well and that one i need to look at again to look at what year it is. one copy i have is the single book with a few bends in the cover i had gotten it used to be fair. and than i also have one that's mint that's in the case as well. i haven't read The Green Mile in years but i don't think he changed anything from the way it was 1st published it was just one book instead of being single that's all.

needfulthings
10-21-2016, 12:31 AM
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/2716/QMDH63.jpg
In THE COMPLETE SIX PART NOVEL box set the only difference I can see is that at the end of parts 1-5 each book states "To be continued" & those are missing from THE COMPLETE SERIAL NOVEL.
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/5333/uCVGHI.jpg
and the 1st edition of THE COMPLETE SERIAL NOVEL MAY 1997 has a New Introduction by the Author.
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/5044/1lECql.jpg

The Subterranean Press 6 book hard cover editions do not have the "To be continued" they are also missing the 1997 New Introduction but they do have a New May 24th 2000 Foreword by Ralph Vicinaanza.

Heather19
10-21-2016, 03:44 AM
Ah ok, thanks guys! I figured as much, but after reading his afterword it sounded like he never wanted to put them together unless he did a rewrite.

Mattrick
10-24-2016, 12:43 PM
Serial novels are tricky to write.

peripheral
10-26-2016, 07:59 PM
I'm away on holiday so thought I'd pick up a scrappy paperback from my shelf to take with me. Took the horror anthology Masques (ed. J.N.Williamson, 1984). Mid-way through - solid collection. Clear it's collected at the height of the horror resurgence. Stand out so far: "Soft" by F. Paul. Wilson - extremely disturbing...

WeDealInLead
10-28-2016, 05:50 AM
A Mountain Walked
Alan Moore - Jerusalem

Ebdim9th
10-28-2016, 02:25 PM
peripheral .... I've read most of F. Paul Wilson's work, but not Soft ....

peripheral
10-28-2016, 04:59 PM
peripheral .... I've read most of F. Paul Wilson's work, but not Soft ....

I really enjoyed it. Virus-based apocalyptic story. I've been suggested to read "The Tomb", what are your thoughts on that one?

webstar1000
10-28-2016, 05:01 PM
I'm doing this social experiment on Facebook. It's unreal how it works. So you post about it and here is the post: Does anyone on my list not love books??? This is a way to get TONS OF BOOKS for simple sending one. Trust me!!

WANTED: Participants for a book-loving social experiment.
Comment if you want to participate and I’ll send you details. What do you have to do? Buy your favorite book and send it to a stranger (I’ll send you a name and address.) You will only be sending one book to one person. The number of books you will receive depends on how many participants there are. The books that will show up on your door are the other people’s much loved stories.

Then when they respond under it... you send them a private message... if anyone wants to play and find out how it works... just respond here with this quote... and you will. Be. Amazed.

Brian861
10-28-2016, 07:10 PM
I'm doing this social experiment on Facebook. It's unreal how it works. So you post about it and here is the post: Does anyone on my list not love books??? This is a way to get TONS OF BOOKS for simple sending one. Trust me!!

WANTED: Participants for a book-loving social experiment.
Comment if you want to participate and I’ll send you details. What do you have to do? Buy your favorite book and send it to a stranger (I’ll send you a name and address.) You will only be sending one book to one person. The number of books you will receive depends on how many participants there are. The books that will show up on your door are the other people’s much loved stories.

Then when they respond under it... you send them a private message... if anyone wants to play and find out how it works... just respond here with this quote... and you will. Be. Amazed.

Sounds cool, Kris! I'm interested.

sharki69
10-28-2016, 07:18 PM
Name of the wind

WeDealInLead
11-01-2016, 01:16 PM
Alan Moore - Jerusalem

I tapped out on page 28.

zelig
11-01-2016, 01:51 PM
Alan Moore - Jerusalem

I tapped out on page 28.

Ouch. You're throwing in the towel? Not the easiest read, I know.

jsmcmullen92
11-02-2016, 04:35 AM
Alan Moore - Jerusalem

I tapped out on page 28.

HAHA I am still trying to decide what the book is about :)

WeDealInLead
11-02-2016, 04:52 AM
Alan Moore - Jerusalem

I tapped out on page 28.

HAHA I am still trying to decide what the book is about :)

I might still read it but only a few pages at the time. I didn't find the writing impenetrable, just the story uninteresting. I felt the opposite about Voice of the Fire, that opening chapter was a nightmare to get through but the story was really cool. That reminds me of something Gaiman said in his introduction to Stories; I'm paraphrasing here but something about the most important question being "And then what happened?" With Jerusalem, I just don't think I care.

I'm going to finish The Stand, A Mountain Walked, and some Powers and Wolfe books I started months ago. That's pretty much it until the end if the year for me.

WeDealInLead
12-11-2016, 08:30 AM
Josh Malerman (Birdbox) has a new novella out. It's almost a short novel. It's called A House at the Bottom of the Lake. and it's a good one. He's one of the newer talents to watch out for. It'd be nice to see a limited edition of his books.

Heather19
12-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out. Really enjoyed Bird Box (minus the ending).

Tommy
12-11-2016, 10:20 PM
Just started Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States.

Br!an
12-12-2016, 05:25 AM

You can't be neutral on a moving train.

jsmcmullen92
12-12-2016, 05:36 AM

You can't be neutral on a moving train.

I hated history in school but I actually enjoyed that book. It gave a new perspective to what is commonly taught by the American school system

mae
12-12-2016, 05:42 AM
The full history of the US cannot be adequately told in a single volume. I really like The Oxford History of the United States series.

Aronstg
12-13-2016, 03:33 PM
I just finished The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey. I would strongly recommend this book. It was great writing and to me it had a nice creepy factor to it.