PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

webstar1000
03-16-2016, 11:08 AM
I don't even remember the ending of Cell. How did it end again?

Me either....

killjoy72
03-16-2016, 12:54 PM
I don't even remember the ending of Cell. How did it end again?

Me either....

It's ending reminded me of the ending to The Mist.

Bev Vincent
03-16-2016, 12:54 PM
Re-boot.

zelig
03-16-2016, 01:14 PM
Ha! Can't remember the ending of The Mist either!

Brian861
03-16-2016, 11:13 PM
Yeah me too. W&G was my 2nd favorite. Drawing of the Three my favorite. But I loved W&G for the same sappy reasons.

:thumbsup: DOTT was damn fine also.

Roland of Gilead 33
03-17-2016, 01:22 PM
Drawing of the three is my favorite DT novel. not only because it was i think one of the 1st King books i read i think the 1st one i read was The Dark Tower:The Gunsligher' that's how i have always typed it anyways. and the 2nd one i think was DOTT.

so it hold some great memories for me. though oddly i've never read eyes of the dragon. i do own that on hardback and the original 1st Printing paperback i picked up at flea market years ago.

Girlystevedave
03-17-2016, 01:26 PM
. though oddly i've never read eyes of the dragon. i do own that on hardback and the original 1st Printing paperback i picked up at flea market years ago.

You should read it one day. It's awesome.

Roland of Gilead 33
03-18-2016, 08:19 PM
oh i plan to at some point i just have no idea when though. my hardback actually is one my uncle gave to my brother and it's the 1st edition too! which i think is rare with the dragon scale cover. i can't remember if he ended up getting another copy or not but i'm grateful he gave it to me.

Mattrick
03-19-2016, 02:11 AM
I agree. I loved Under the Dome, just minus the ending. But I'm used to that with King.quite

I can't now remember if we ever included the "ending" category when we voted on King books. I wonder which would win; UtD must be at the very bottom, anyway.

Though I (who loved UtD) accepted the ending as it was: I can't help feeling that Sai King sees inside him more than he can tell, and sometimes just wriggles out of his own visions by way of providing a digestible palliative.

Under The Dome was good but a total missed opportunitity. He could have explored so much more than he did by choosing to go plot heavy. What's funny is I think Cook and the meth lab stuff was the best part but it also was what held it back from being truly great. Instead of synecdoche of mankind tear itself apart through months of isolation and cabin fever, starvation, pollution, we got small town organised crime, which just didn't do it for me. And that ending...goddamn why did he have to explain anything? Leave the mystery of the dome as a mystery bro?

webstar1000
03-19-2016, 02:19 AM
Quit reading my first book ever. Just could not finish Illium and I had to stop...

WeDealInLead
03-19-2016, 06:43 AM
George Beahm - The Stephen King Companion

Roland of Gilead 33
03-19-2016, 01:59 PM
i'm now on Chapter 10 of The Bone Collector. and i missed your Reply Dan on asking about the film. i was reading reviews about the book on book bub, and there were actually a lot of people saying who loved the book the film is quite close to the book. they only made a couple changes, for example the last name of Ameila's last name sorry about my shitty spelling lol. and his aide in the film is played by Queen Latifah. and some names were changed in short. i am not sure what else was changed but small things from what i've read. stuff that really is no big deal given the reviews people said that enjoyed both the book and the film. in the book his aide is Thom and i forget his aides in the film.

but the thing when films are made based off books i think people forget that there are some films that are better than the book like i've said the godfather in my well book lol is not as good as the film. Carrie the original film i think is far far better than the actual book for another example. Christine is a great film and it's a great book too in my opinion so it can happen. i say give it a shot you may like it, also have you read the sequels ? there's i think 12 in all in the series. The Coffin Dancer is the 2nd one and that's already on my kindle for me to read in case i want to read that sucker next!

peripheral
03-22-2016, 02:02 AM
Finished 'The Passage', which was fantastic. Would like to jump straight into 'The Twelve', but some shorter fiction in between is in order, I think. So, back to '20th Century Ghosts', by Joe Hill. The last story I read in it was 'Abraham's Boys', and it was excellent.

Honestly, I can't remember looking forward to two upcoming books so much - Joe Hill's 'The Fireman' and Cronin's 'City of Mirrors'.
Lincoln.

The Twelve has a different tempo than The Passage. Taking a break between the two actually makes some sense.

I'm looking forward to this trilogy. I can never start series until all the books are published, or I just forget the characters, plot, and get out of the "mode" of the book. So I've got the third on order and am about to start the ride.

I'm currently reading Book 2 of the Southern Reach Trilogy and enjoying it a lot. Was a reco by SK on Twitter

FennyBate
03-23-2016, 02:42 PM
Reading 'Slade House', by David Mitchell. A haunted house story, with a similiar structure to the Charles L Grant linked novella collections. Very well written, very stylish. Wouldn't call it 'scary', but definitely 'creepy', and very, very entertaining.

Tommy
03-23-2016, 03:49 PM
Reading 'Slade House', by David Mitchell. A haunted house story, with a similiar structure to the Charles L Grant linked novella collections. Very well written, very stylish. Wouldn't call it 'scary', but definitely 'creepy', and very, very entertaining.

I've read The Bone Clocks by Mitchell and liked it a lot. I'm excited to read more. I bought signed copies of both Slade House and The Bone Clocks when Barnes & Noble had their signed books sales in the past few years.

FennyBate
03-23-2016, 03:53 PM

I've read The Bone Clocks by Mitchell and liked it a lot. I'm excited to read more. I bought signed copies of both Slade House and The Bone Clocks when Barnes & Noble had their signed books sales in the past few years.

I have the UK signed/limited of 'Slade House', which is a very nice book, in a very nice slipcase. Based on how much I've enjoyed it so far, I'm definitely interested in 'The Bone Clocks'. Apparently the stories are linked, but not sure how closely.

Tommy
03-23-2016, 03:59 PM

I have the UK signed/limited of 'Slade House', which is a very nice book, in a very nice slipcase. Based on how much I've enjoyed it so far, I'm definitely interested in 'The Bone Clocks'. Apparently the stories are linked, but not sure how closely.

I believe most of his work is interconnected but also by the nature of the stories he tells with time travel and so forth it doesn't matter which book you start with or what order they are read.

FennyBate
03-23-2016, 04:00 PM
...Aaaaaaand I couldn't help myself - just ordered the slipcased UK signed/limited of 'The Bone Clocks'.

Tommy
03-23-2016, 04:02 PM
...Aaaaaaand I couldn't help myself - just ordered the slipcased UK signed/limited of 'The Bone Clocks'.

Ha!

FennyBate
03-23-2016, 04:09 PM
I tend to do that, when I discover a new-to-me author that I really like.

Just on 'Slade House' again, it reminds me a lot of 'House of Leaves' - not in the crazy structure or anything, but how it really does feel like a fresh take on the haunted house story, which is one of my favourite tropes.

Tommy
03-23-2016, 04:14 PM
I tend to do that, when I discover a new-to-me author that I really like.

Just on 'Slade House' again, it reminds me a lot of 'House of Leaves' - not in the crazy structure or anything, but how it really does feel like a fresh take on the haunted house story, which is one of my favourite tropes.

I need to read House of Leaves, it's been sitting on my shelf long enough. The last haunted house book I read I think was The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons and enjoyed it a great deal.

FennyBate
03-23-2016, 04:17 PM
Oh yeah, 'The House Next Door' is one of my absolute favourites - definitely top 5, for me. Brought to my attention by SK in 'Danse Macabre', of course!

Cordial Jim
03-25-2016, 02:04 PM
Out on the Cutting Edge by Lawrence Block. Late 80's Matthew Scudder. Really digging it so far.

Roland of Gilead 33
03-26-2016, 11:18 PM
how of leaves hmm. isn't that book that was like a thousand pages or so a big fucker of a book about 16 years ago. where is Sister is the Artist POE that i saw on Rock hall in i think (2001) it was filmed for MTV some show they had back than. good concert too and if memory serves me right she was touring with her brother but i don't remember seeing him there that nite. anyways i'm really as i've said a few times he he loving the bone collector. i'm on chapter 16 now i read 5 chapters 2 nite and i hadn't read anything since i think early Monday Morning! anyways a character named Dellray or however the hell is spelled is an FBI agent apparently is introduced and i guess it's a character that is left out of the film. he wants the case and

honestly i can't really see why so he takes it from Rhyme and company for reasons i have no clue just yet. so far it's not a big deal to me if he's left out of the film.

jhanic
03-31-2016, 12:26 PM
I'll be starting this tonight:

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/US_Proofs/End%20of%20Watch%20proof_zpsegtkq1gp.jpg (http://s469.photobucket.com/user/johnhanic/media/US_Proofs/End%20of%20Watch%20proof_zpsegtkq1gp.jpg.html)

John

webstar1000
03-31-2016, 04:49 PM
I'll be starting this tonight:

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/US_Proofs/End%20of%20Watch%20proof_zpsegtkq1gp.jpg (http://s469.photobucket.com/user/johnhanic/media/US_Proofs/End%20of%20Watch%20proof_zpsegtkq1gp.jpg.html)

John
So JELOUS man!!! Congrats!

Sai Sheb
04-01-2016, 12:29 AM
I've just finished "let me off at the top" by Ron Burgundy
Just started DK VII (again) I'm also trading the constitution of Ireland!

Brian861
04-01-2016, 12:58 AM
I'm also trading the constitution of Ireland!

What are you seeking in return? :)

Sai Sheb
04-01-2016, 01:06 AM
I know! To read gives you knowledge, to trade gives you a bloody headache..

Roland of Gilead 33
04-01-2016, 05:30 PM
i'm sorry but that's a terrible cover

sharki69
04-01-2016, 07:13 PM
I just started snow crash. Looks Like I'll Need to get into it more - bit confusing in the beginning

terrier91
04-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Just started on The Fall, second book of The Strain trilogy. The first book really sucked me in (pun intended).

WeDealInLead
04-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Gene Wolfe - Free Live Free

And still working my way through Ilium. I am enjoying it, but because it's such a dense book I haven't been able to give it full attention. Been busy working (at least) 65-hour work weeks and when I'm not working, I'm pounding the pavement and getting ready for race season.

webstar1000
04-02-2016, 05:45 PM
Abominable by Simmons... Loving this one!

Dan
04-02-2016, 05:53 PM

I loved this book. Very technical, but enjoyable also.

jhanic
04-03-2016, 11:45 AM

One of my favorite Simmons!

John

webstar1000
04-03-2016, 11:52 AM
Yeah loving it so far boys! Much better than Illium

Roland of Gilead 33
04-04-2016, 06:41 PM
i have FINALLY finished "The Bone Collector' and for those who haven't read that sucker yet if you are like me and love a great mystery check it out. though looking up the book on wikipedia it gave away who the killer is as the version i read wasn't store bought at all but i downloaded it. and reading up the synopis even though i have the film on dvd. that didn't bother me at all, but what did surprise me was a twist that was put it the last chapter. it's not in the film either, it was a fantastic book and i plan on watching the film again soon. one thing that wasn't in the film was a character named Fred Dellray an FBI agent and he was pretty useless character that i can see why he wasn't in the film version of the book.
either way it's not one of those things where it pisses me off on what was changed for the film it was just small minor things. one thing that should have been in the book was the reason why he went started killing and i can't remember if that's in the film or not so i may be wrong. but it was small things they left out, for example

there's a theme throughout the book where he wants to kill himself and he at the end has Amelia going to help it do it too. but than is stopped at the last second before anything serious happens. i'm not saying what for those who haven't read it. that them was dropped from the film. plus in the book he's a white dude. unlike in the DT film where i think it's fucking stupid as fuck they cast a black actor, and it's not anything i have against the actor at all it's just that well it kinda hurts the theme of the DT books in Drawing of the three where Odetta hates white people and has to accept being around them in Roland's world. that's all i'm saying about that subject because there are plenty threads about it on here already. my point is

it's not a big deal casting a black man for a character that is white when the bone collector is white in the book. i dunno if any of that came out right but you get my point i'm sure

Heather19
04-05-2016, 06:56 AM

Excellent! I have it sitting at home waiting to be read.

Roland of Gilead 33
04-07-2016, 11:53 AM
another one i downloaded as i have never seen this book for sale in stores well any stores i've ever been at, not that i've looked for it either to be fair. and that's The Thin Man which also came out the same year as the film in (1934) and i love and adore the film to death and i am really starting to love the book it took me sometime to get used to the writing as it's done differently than i'm used to. i've loved the film since i first saw it years ago when i was in i think my early 20's. or late teens something like that and i've always wanted to read the book but i never got around to actually look for it so i can read it and i'm so far on Chapter 8. they are nice & short which i just love to death when books have short chapters.

it' s odd reading Nick swearing and Nora calling a woman a bastard since the film is so clean since it was (1934) and i think it was made after the Hayes Code came into being. has anyone read it? i have no idea how to spell the guy's name but if you know the book and the film series you know who wrote it.

thegunslinger41
04-08-2016, 04:42 AM
Hey guys. Just finished a book called BROKEN MONSTERS by Lauren Beukes (https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/426034.Lauren_Beukes) .

This is a must read!

-G

jsmcmullen92
04-11-2016, 01:59 PM
Just started The Martian by Andy Wier this morning. Really liking it so far.

Br!an
04-11-2016, 02:41 PM

I really enjoyed it. It's like MacGyver on Mars.

I was given the movie as a birthday present. I haven't watched it yet. Perhaps tonight. :orely:

webstar1000
04-12-2016, 03:29 AM

I was given the movie as a birthday present. I haven't watched it yet. Perhaps tonight. :orely:

Movie is GREAT Brian... enjoy:)

jsmcmullen92
04-15-2016, 04:18 AM

Movie is GREAT Brian... enjoy:)

So I finished the book yesterday so I watched the movie last night. I will say that I REALLY liked the character of Mark in the book being so sarcastic all the time so the movie was a little off for me. I did enjoy both a lot though.

Now reading Carrie.

Br!an
04-15-2016, 07:23 AM
I watched the movie. It was good. I, as usual, preferred the book.

Heather19
04-15-2016, 11:11 AM
I think a combination of the two was good. I love all the science and technical aspects of the book, which understandably they left out of the movie, so it was nice to have that in my head while I was watching the film. I do wish they had included it a bit more because everything just seemed too simple and easy in the film.

Br!an
04-15-2016, 01:30 PM
I think a combination of the two was good. I love all the science and technical aspects of the book, which understandably they left out of the movie, so it was nice to have that in my head while I was watching the film. I do wish they had included it a bit more because everything just seemed too simple and easy in the film.

Exactly. In the book we were able to go along with Watney as he constantly managed to innovate and survive. Watching the movie I never felt the same sense of peril that the book imparted.

A lot of things that happened in the movie would be a mystery to me if I had not already read the book.

Ricky
04-15-2016, 03:39 PM

Now the you mentioned the technical aspects of The Martian, it just goes to show how a technical subject matter can be successfully adapted for a general audience, unlike The Big Short.

terrier91
04-15-2016, 03:46 PM
Finally settling in to read The Fireman.

Tommy
04-15-2016, 09:08 PM

Now the you mentioned the technical aspects of The Martian, it just goes to show how a technical subject matter can be successfully adapted for a general audience, unlike The Big Short.

Wrong thread for this tangent of mine but I saw The Big Short at the discount theater a few weeks back and I thought it was successful mainly because I feel like I understand the housing crisis much more than before I watched it. I am certainly not at 100% comprehension but TBS did elucidate the subject for me.

Tommy
04-15-2016, 09:10 PM
Finally settling in to read The Fireman.

I've only read NOS4A2 but I am excited for this one!

jsmcmullen92
04-21-2016, 07:32 AM
Just picked up 11/22/63 this morning. I am excited to read this one.

wolfehr
04-21-2016, 07:46 AM
Finished Heart-Shaped Box last night. Wow! Joe Hill really knows how to write! I was definitely able to tell how he matured as a writer between this book and NOS4A2. NOS4A2 had a better crafted, more intricate plot and better character development. It was more "epic". That being said, Heart-Shaped Box was a fast paced, super creepy read. While it didn't have as detailed of a plot as NOS4A2, I did enjoy the story a lot. It was hard to put down and I really felt myself pulling for the characters. I'm having a hard time deciding which I liked more.

jsmcmullen92
04-21-2016, 08:15 AM
Finished Heart-Shaped Box last night. Wow! Joe Hill really knows how to write! I was definitely able to tell how he matured as a writer between this book and NOS4A2. NOS4A2 had a better crafted, more intricate plot and better character development. It was more "epic". That being said, Heart-Shaped Box was a fast paced, super creepy read. While it didn't have as detailed of a plot as NOS4A2, I did enjoy the story a lot. It was hard to put down and I really felt myself pulling for the characters. I'm having a hard time deciding which I liked more.

Have you read Horns? If not wait till you read that to make a decision.

wolfehr
04-21-2016, 08:48 AM

Have you read Horns? If not wait till you read that to make a decision.

I have not read Horns yet. I think it's up next though. I'll wait until I'm done with that one to make a decision :)

Patrick
04-26-2016, 09:15 AM
I enjoyed the film of THE MARTIAN, but I loved the book so much more.

For me, HORNS > HEART-SHAPED BOX.

Currently reading REPLAY, by Ken Grimwood.

jsmcmullen92
04-27-2016, 07:30 AM
I enjoyed the film of THE MARTIAN, but I loved the book so much more.

For me, HORNS > HEART-SHAPED BOX.

Agreed and agreed!

Heather19
04-27-2016, 08:28 AM
I've been reading The Uninvited by Cat Winters. It was moving a little slowly and I almost put it down. But finally about 75% of the way in Bam! Something is finally happening. Has anyone read any of her other books? The premises all sound really good.

WeDealInLead
04-27-2016, 11:06 AM

And still working my way through Ilium. I am enjoying it, but because it's such a dense book I haven't been able to give it full attention. Been busy working (at least) 65-hour work weeks and when I'm not working, I'm pounding the pavement and getting ready for race season.

Finished Ilium last night. 5 out of 5. The set up took a little longer than I expected but once he started tying the storylines together...it's gold, Jerry.

Giving up on this particular Wolfe. I just don't care anymore.

I'm reading Unseaming by Mike Allen. Great collection.

webstar1000
04-27-2016, 11:10 AM

Finished Ilium last night. 5 out of 5. The set up took a little longer than I expected but once he started tying the storylines together...it's gold, Jerry.

Giving up on this particular Wolfe. I just don't care anymore.

I'm reading Unseaming by Mike Allen. Great collection.

I got to page 150 and quit.... should I have kept going??? 5/5 really?

WeDealInLead
04-27-2016, 11:17 AM
Yes, absolutely. To be honest though, my favourite Simmons is Hyperion and its sequels and generally, I like science fiction more than horror. I also didn't think much about Children of the Night, Song of Kali, and the Abominable. I did love Flashback, The Crook Factory and The Fifth Heart. Go figure.

goheat
04-27-2016, 12:25 PM
Finished Complete Books of Blood by Clive Barker, really enjoyed all the stories. Started Mr. Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt after reading a good review in paper.

biomieg
04-27-2016, 12:48 PM
I finished Hard as Nails (Simmons), which I liked a lot! On to an early Tess Gerritsen now before digging into some more Simmons - I have The Fifth Heart and This Year's Class Picture on top of my reading pile. By the time I finish those, End of Watch and The Fireman should be available. Good times!

Roland of Gilead 33
04-27-2016, 06:18 PM
i finished on Monday i think? or Sunday i forget which day the book 'The Thin Man' and yes they did change a couple things but not enough to really piss me off to be honest. in short it really didn't hurt the story. i also downloaded all the original Goosebumps books i loved as a teen by R.L. Stine. why did i go back to that series? i loved that series and i was curious if any of them still held up for someone my age and i just finished the 1st book Welcome to the Dead House from July of (1992)

and it i think still holds up. those books in my youth were fun as hell to read and sure there were some shitty ones but that's not anything that isn't bound to happen. the funny thing is these books when i was younger anyways did give me nightmares the ones i can think of off the top of my head was the one i just finished tonight and it still is a good one after all these years. and than there's one that takes place at an amusement park that one i can't remember the title of the book. both of them were quite good in fact. has anyone here ever gone back to books they loved as a kid just to see if they hold up? not R.L. Stine since no doubt a lot of you here didn't grow up on his books like i did. but authors like Judy Blume who i still love.

and Beverly Clearly who i looked up recently and is now 100 years old! and still alive! my favorite author though growing up was Bruce Coville. i got tired of reading mysteries so i went back to my past and choose ones i haven't read in years!

DoctorZaius
04-27-2016, 07:35 PM

Loved Heart-Shaped Box - it was so visceral. It reminded me of early King. NOS4A2 is superbly epic, but there really is something about a first novel that gets the juices going. Horns is also quite good.

DoctorZaius
04-27-2016, 07:36 PM
I know I am late to this one, but I just started Finders Keepers over vacation last week. Nearly done. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, and I look forward to reading the final book in the trilogy soon.

Heather19
04-28-2016, 04:40 AM
i finished on Monday i think? or Sunday i forget which day the book 'The Thin Man' and yes they did change a couple things but not enough to really piss me off to be honest. in short it really didn't hurt the story. i also downloaded all the original Goosebumps books i loved as a teen by R.L. Stine. why did i go back to that series? i loved that series and i was curious if any of them still held up for someone my age and i just finished the 1st book Welcome to the Dead House from July of (1992)

and it i think still holds up. those books in my youth were fun as hell to read and sure there were some shitty ones but that's not anything that isn't bound to happen. the funny thing is these books when i was younger anyways did give me nightmares the ones i can think of off the top of my head was the one i just finished tonight and it still is a good one after all these years. and than there's one that takes place at an amusement park that one i can't remember the title of the book. both of them were quite good in fact. has anyone here ever gone back to books they loved as a kid just to see if they hold up? not R.L. Stine since no doubt a lot of you here didn't grow up on his books like i did. but authors like Judy Blume who i still love.

and Beverly Clearly who i looked up recently and is now 100 years old! and still alive! my favorite author though growing up was Bruce Coville. i got tired of reading mysteries so i went back to my past and choose ones i haven't read in years!

I grew up with his Fear Street books. The Goosebumps series didn't come out till I was a little older so I never read those. I did go back and read a few of the Fear Street ones, they were ok, I'd like to go back and read some of the better ones though. I've got them all boxed up in the basement, I should bring them out. I was an avid reader of all those teen horror books back then.

Ricky
04-28-2016, 05:36 AM
If you guys liked the Fear Street and Goosebumps books, I'd recommend Red Rain. It came out a few years ago. It's like a Goosebumps story for adults (Stine even said he wanted to write a book specifically for those who grew up reading the Goosebumps series). I really, really liked it.

Heather19
04-28-2016, 09:26 AM
Thanks Ricky, I'll check it out.

Have you read Superstitious? It was his first adult novel. I was all excited when it came out but I was less than impressed with it. Are those the only two adult novels he's written or have there been more?

Ricky
04-28-2016, 10:21 AM
I haven't read that one. And I think he's written a few adult novels but they haven't been too well reviewed. Just don't go into Red Rain expecting too much or I think you'll be disappointed. It's a light, fun summer read.

fernandito
04-28-2016, 12:28 PM
Picked up Rendezvous with Rama over the weekend.

My first Arthur C. Clarke!

mkberger
04-28-2016, 01:01 PM

I still have both CHILDHOOD'S END and THE FOUNTAINS OF PARADISE on the paperback shelf... I re-read FOUNTAINS not that long ago; time for RAMA and CHILDHOOD again soon. Good stuff.

frik
04-28-2016, 08:03 PM

Great book! Don't forget the sequels. Not as impressive, but still worth reading for sure.

sk

Roland of Gilead 33
04-29-2016, 12:29 AM
well i am currently reading a couple of different books. in no order one of them is a autobiography i downloaded about Myrna Loy i just love her as an actress and reading the thin man recently i am currently Re-Watching those wonderful films again. i've watched 3 of them so far. they did 6 of them in case you are wondering. the other one i am currently reading a favorite kids book of growing up called The Plant that Ate Dirty socks i don't even remember what grade i picked that book up in originally the title of it i remember is what caught my interest. it's by Nancy McArthur and i'm curious if it still holds up. plus i got 2 more Goosebumps on my kindle to read. i do have Stine's (1995) adult novel Superstious which i killed in the spelling sorry about that folks.
i got that sucker in hardback i just haven't gotten around to read that one just yet. another one i started to read and i'm only like a page or two in it, is Agatha Christie's (1920) novel 'The Mysterious Affair at Styles it's actually her 1st novel and i've never read her to be honest.

i can't seem to make up my mind which book i want to pay more attention to the most. the one i'm the farthest in is the plant that ate dirty socks cause i'm on chapter 3. as for the fear street series i remember those coming out i used to get them from the libary but for some strange reason i never did finish one. i dunno why but i think i just could not get into them or something or my interest in them waned the longer i had them after i took them home or something. i used to get a shit load of books from the libary at a time so that didn't help either. these days now i got a shit load of books on my kindle i plan on reading. some of them are comic books actually. there just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day for me to read more. cause i've been doing puzzles a lot recently too. well Summer is almost here and my tv shows season is nearly over i will no doubt do what i did last year and not watch too much tv i'm guessing.

Anubis2347
04-29-2016, 07:16 PM
Currently I'm reading Boy's Life and I have to say it's a wonderfully charming book. Really enjoying it.

peripheral
04-29-2016, 07:22 PM
I am mid-way through Acceptance, the final book in VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy. There is a sense of foreboding, a slow build up, but I have to emphasise- SLOW. I was hoping the second book would be redeemed by this, but there is not enough action/movement. Please someone tell me the build up and ending is WORTH it?!

Heather19
04-30-2016, 06:14 AM
Sorry to say it but no. I absolutely loved the first book and would rank it as one of my all-time favorites. But books 2 and 3 were horrible :(

And I almost started Boy's Life the other day but opted to read Bird Box instead. Has anyone read it? Not too far in yet but so far I'm enjoying it.

zelig
04-30-2016, 06:20 AM
I finally re-read The Eyes of the Dragon after 29 years. Now I remember why that book got me hooked on King. Really enjoyed the story. Back to the 800+ page biography of Brautigan. Needed a breather from it.

peripheral
04-30-2016, 07:06 AM
Sorry to say it but no. I absolutely loved the first book and would rank it as one of my all-time favorites. But books 2 and 3 were horrible :(

And I almost started Boy's Life the other day but opted to read Bird Box instead. Has anyone read it? Not too far in yet but so far I'm enjoying it.

Oh no! After all this work! Ok, I'll press on quickly, hope for some closure, and hit my Laird Barron novel.

Ben Staad
04-30-2016, 03:22 PM
Loved Bird Box. It's a great read.

firemonkey66
05-01-2016, 06:47 PM
I'm currently reading book #4 of the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi and man, it is horrible. The first 3 books were great, but Scalzi decided to rewrite book #3 from the perspective of a teenage girl and it just doesn't work at all. It is actually making me retroactively dislike the series, which totally sucks. I'm just praying that after I choke down the rest of this shit sandwich (a.k.a., Zoe's Tale) that book #5 will get the series back on track.

sharki69
05-01-2016, 08:29 PM
currently reading Shantaram - it's very good

frik
05-01-2016, 08:32 PM
Currently I'm reading Boy's Life and I have to say it's a wonderfully charming book. Really enjoying it.

Loved that book: my #1 McCammon.

sk

Letti
05-01-2016, 10:09 PM
I started reading Sherlock stories and I didn't expect to get hooked. I was wrong. I love the guy.

divemaster
05-02-2016, 05:35 AM
...another one i started to read and i'm only like a page or two in it, is Agatha Christie's (1920) novel 'The Mysterious Affair at Styles it's actually her 1st novel and i've never read her to be honest.

I went through a phase in high school where I must have read 20-30 Agatha Christie novels. I didn't think The Mysterious Affair at Styles was one of the best, but if you like it, be sure and read the follow-up (A Holiday for Murder), which is very good. This book is also known as Murder for Christmas. (Several of her novels were published under different names in the UK and the US.). Perhaps her best mystery is And Then There Were None (also published as Ten Little Indians and Ten Little Niggers). You can't go wrong with that one. I can honestly say the ending/resolution was the biggest "I did NOT see that coming" moment I've ever read from a mystery author.

frik
05-02-2016, 05:42 AM
...another one i started to read and i'm only like a page or two in it, is Agatha Christie's (1920) novel 'The Mysterious Affair at Styles it's actually her 1st novel and i've never read her to be honest.

I went through a phase in high school where I must have read 20-30 Agatha Christie novels. I didn't think The Mysterious Affair at Styles was one of the best, but if you like it, be sure and read the follow-up (A Holiday for Murder), which is very good. This book is also known as Murder for Christmas. (Several of her novels were published under different names in the UK and the US.). Perhaps her best mystery is And Then There Were None (also published as Ten Little Indians and Ten Little Niggers). You can't go wrong with that one. I can honestly say the ending/resolution was the biggest "I did NOT see that coming" moment I've ever read from a mystery author.

Mine was from Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. That was awesome!
Love Christie!

sk

WeDealInLead
05-02-2016, 06:57 AM
Simon Strantzas - Nightingale Songs

Patrick
05-07-2016, 11:27 AM
I'm currently reading book #4 of the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi and man, it is horrible. The first 3 books were great, but Scalzi decided to rewrite book #3 from the perspective of a teenage girl and it just doesn't work at all. It is actually making me retroactively dislike the series, which totally sucks. I'm just praying that after I choke down the rest of this shit sandwich (a.k.a., Zoe's Tale) that book #5 will get the series back on track.
Oh man, sorry to hear this. I've read the first three as well and was planning to start the fourth soon. :(

WeDealInLead
05-07-2016, 12:25 PM
Hahaha, oh no...you're reading Zoe's Tale. I had the lettered of that book and sold it at a fraction of the price just to get it out of the house. I'm content with the original trilogy.

I'm reading Secret Faces by Kealan Patrick Burke. A solid collection of no-nonsense horror stories. Recommended.

jsmcmullen92
05-09-2016, 04:43 AM
Just finished 11/22/63... I will have to say that is going to the top 5 for sure. I thought it was amazing!

Now starting The Fellowship of the Ring.

firemonkey66
05-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Hahaha, oh no...you're reading Zoe's Tale. I had the lettered of that book and sold it at a fraction of the price just to get it out of the house. I'm content with the original trilogy.

I'm reading Secret Faces by Kealan Patrick Burke. A solid collection of no-nonsense horror stories. Recommended.

Haha, I know exactly how you feel. I would get rid of a lettered Zoe's Tale in a heartbeat (unless I owned lettereds of the first 3, I suppose, just to keep the set). I still haven't finished it out of sheer disinterest and it's at 95% complete on my kindle.

firemonkey66
05-09-2016, 10:34 PM
Oh man, sorry to hear this. I've read the first three as well and was planning to start the fourth soon. :(

Patrick, I'm sorry to drop that on you, but it was driving me nuts and I had to post about it! You could always skip it...:)

peripheral
05-09-2016, 10:37 PM
I have almost finished Book 3 of VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy. I persisted because I hoped. And I don't like abandoning after such investment of time.

Boring. Just... boring. I can only conclude that for Stephen King to recommend it, he has lapsed into his recreational substances again.

Joe315
05-09-2016, 10:45 PM
I am almost finished Book 3 of VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy. I persisted because I hoped. And I don't like abandoning after such investment of time.

Boring. Just... boring. I can only conclude that for Stephen King to recommend it, he has lapsed into his recreational substances again.

I agree. I didn't even bother with the third.

WeDealInLead
05-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Rick Hautala - Glimpses
Tom Piccirilli - Bad Dog

Both brilliant writers, both gone too soon...

peripheral
05-12-2016, 04:50 PM
Rick Hautala - Glimpses
Tom Piccirilli - Bad Dog

Both brilliant writers, both gone too soon...

Been meaning to read both of these authors. Heard good things.

I just finished the final book of the Southern Reach trilogy (VanderMeer). I kept going after book one (which was quite good) out of hope but both book two and three were so boring that I would have rather had my scrotum punctured on a barbed wire fence. I'll bet big money that when King recommended it, he hadn't read part 2 and 3.

WeDealInLead
05-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Piccirilli dabbled in many styles so it's probably best to research the book you're planning on buying...just so you don't get a book of poetry if you wanted horror or noir.

Hautala IMO is pretty similar to King, though I dare say with a touch of vintage Bradbury and Charles Grant. He was also from Maine so at times it might seem like you're reading a different story playing out in the same little towns King wrote about. Glimpses is his Best Of collection (+ a few never-before-collected stories) and along with Four Octobers, a fine introduction.

peripheral
05-12-2016, 05:41 PM
Piccirilli dabbled in many styles so it's probably best to research the book you're planning on buying...just so you don't get a book of poetry if you wanted horror or noir.

Hautala IMO is pretty similar to King, though I dare say with a touch of vintage Bradbury and Charles Grant. He was also from Maine so at times it might seem like you're reading a different story playing out in the same little towns King wrote about. Glimpses is his Best Of collection (+ a few never-before-collected stories) and along with Four Octobers, a fine introduction.

Awesome, I love Grant and Bradbury. I just grabbed a copy of Glimpses - sounds exactly what I'm into. Thanks!

Dan
05-23-2016, 05:20 PM
My current delemma, I have been rereading/listening to The Twelve so I can read City of Mirrors. I finished listening to The Twelve tonight. I have an ARC of The City of Mirrors ready to read. I am reading the paperback of Mr. Mercedes in order to be ready for the final book. Do I stop reading Mr. Mercedes to pick up Mirrors? Or do I switch to audiobook of Mr. Mercedes so I can read Mirrors? Or do I keep reading Mr. Mercedes and wait to read Mirrors until I finish the Hodges trilogy? Urg. I also want to read The Fireman in the middle of all of this.

Oh, and I have to show up to work every day also.

zelig
05-23-2016, 05:42 PM
What a dilemma. If your goal is to have read MM and FK before EOW hits the streets, then read MM and put COM on the back burner. If you don't mind starting MM after EOW is out, then read Mirrors now. I personally don't like to read two books concurrently, so I didn't make any suggestions in that regard.

webstar1000
05-24-2016, 04:20 AM
Just killed the first book in Wayward Pines... it is FANTASTIC! Going to finish the last two books right away and then City of Mirrors and then KING'S EOW!!!!

biomieg
05-24-2016, 04:51 AM
Just finished The Fireman, loved it! I was hoping to squeeze another couple of books in before June but I found out that my go-to bookstore here already has End of Watch in stock so I'll be picking it up tomorrow, hopefully.

Heather19
05-24-2016, 05:30 AM
Just killed the first book in Wayward Pines... it is FANTASTIC! Going to finish the last two books right away and then City of Mirrors and then KING'S EOW!!!!

Awesome!!! :D

Just finished Bird Box. I enjoyed it, but the ending was just a bit blah. Not sure what I expected or wanted though.

Ben Staad
05-24-2016, 03:13 PM
That is exactly how I felt as well. However it did not diminish how much I enjoyed the book. I thought it worked.

Just finished Bird Box. I enjoyed it, but the ending was just a bit blah. Not sure what I expected or wanted though.

Br!an
05-24-2016, 03:42 PM

Wayward Pines was a lot of fun. Heather could start a cult (and research cryogenics:orely:) with all of the people she has referred to that series.

I read the Wayward Pines trilogy while reading the first two books of Justin Cronin's trilogy. I began conflating the storylines. There are a lot of similarities to certain parts of the stories.

webstar1000
05-24-2016, 03:44 PM
Yeah just went and bought tr last two. These books are gold! Thanks for the recommend!

Heather19
05-24-2016, 04:43 PM

Wayward Pines was a lot of fun. Heather could start a cult (and research cryogenics:orely:) with all of the people she has referred to that series.

I read the Wayward Pines trilogy while reading the first two books of Justin Cronin's trilogy. I began conflating the storylines. There are a lot of similarities to certain parts of the stories.

Blake should start giving me money for all the people I've turned onto his books :lol:

He has a new book coming out this summer, I can't wait for it.

webstar1000
05-24-2016, 04:44 PM

Blake should start giving me money for all the people I've turned onto his books :lol:

His other work good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky
05-24-2016, 07:14 PM

I was going to message you to see if you knew about it. I just found out a few days ago. I should've known you'd have known about it. :lol:

Heather19
05-25-2016, 10:26 AM
Webstar, I would highly recommend Run and his collection of short stories. Abandon was also good, and Snowbound was ok, but not nearly as good as his other stories. Draculas (a book he co-wrote with 3 or 4 other authors) was also really entertaining.

And of course Ricky :D

WeDealInLead
05-25-2016, 10:29 AM
Brian Hodge - Falling Idols

Stebbins
05-28-2016, 01:20 PM
The Only Grammar Book You Will Ever Need
The Great Gatsby
Black Lizard's Big Book of Pulps
Striking Thoughts

biomieg
05-28-2016, 01:23 PM
Read in 2016
01. Bird Box - Josh Malerman
02. Lost Girl - Adam Nevill
03. Beacon 23 - Hugh Howey
04. Replay - Ken Grimwood
05. Hard as Nails - Dan Simmons
06. Girl Missing - Tess Gerritsen
07. The Coffin Dancer - Jeffery Deaver
08. The Empty Chair - Jeffery Deaver
09. This Year's Class Picture - Dan Simmons
10. The Fireman - Joe Hill

Currently reading:
11. End of Watch - Stephen King

Upcoming:
The Treatment - Mo Hayder
Solitude Creek - Jeffery Deaver
The Fifth Heart - Dan Simmons
City of Mirrors - Justin Cronin
The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson

peripheral
05-31-2016, 02:09 AM
Nice list Michael - very keen to hear your thoughts on End of Watch. Haven't read any of the trilogy yet - plan to read them in one swift go. And Bird Box! Everyone keeps talking about it - I must have a look.

Finished Hautala's Glimpses - just brilliant (thanks "WeDealInLead" for the reco) and just finished Marwood's The Killer Next Door - an excellent read that reminded me of Hitchcock (the sinister Rear Window vouyerism).

Next for me is Laird Barron's "The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All", and then onto the Hodges trilogy...

FennyBate
05-31-2016, 02:19 AM
You're in for a real treat, peripheral - 'The Beautiful Thing...' is a great collection. Contains one of my all time favourite stories - the incredible "The Men From Porlock".
Lincoln.

peripheral
05-31-2016, 02:52 AM
You're in for a real treat, peripheral - 'The Beautiful Thing...' is a great collection. Contains one of my all time favourite stories - the incredible "The Men From Porlock".
Lincoln.

Awesome Lincoln, thanks. I'll look out for that one.

biomieg
05-31-2016, 03:00 AM
Nice list Michael - very keen to hear your thoughts on End of Watch. Haven't read any of the trilogy yet - plan to read them in one swift go. And Bird Box! Everyone keeps talking about it - I must have a look.

Finished Hautala's Glimpses - just brilliant (thanks "WeDealInLead" for the reco) and just finished Marwood's The Killer Next Door - an excellent read that reminded me of Hitchcock (the sinister Rear Window vouyerism).

Next for me is Laird Barron's "The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All", and then onto the Hodges trilogy...

Bird Box was certainly different in a good way. I'm not sure if it completely 'delivered' but you should decide that for yourself, I think :) EOW is entertaining so far and that is exactly what the trilogy is (for me anyway) - entertaining. Not up there with his best work but that's okay with me. It's definitely a new avenue for King and I don't think he's a great detective writer compared to the genre writers but his awesome storytelling skills are enough to tackle anything (again, IMO).

biomieg
05-31-2016, 03:02 AM
Added to my TBR pile: the Wayward Pines trilogy, which I ordered after reading all the praise here.

webstar1000
05-31-2016, 03:06 AM
Added to my TBR pile: the Wayward Pines trilogy, which I ordered after reading all the praise here.

I LOVE IT!

biomieg
05-31-2016, 03:11 AM
Dammit Kris, I joined the forum over four years before you did and you're only eight posts behind! I need to step up my game here...

webstar1000
05-31-2016, 03:12 AM
Dammit Kris, I joined the forum over four years before you did and you're only eight posts behind! I need to step up my game here...

LOL.. no man.. I just talk to much! :biggrin1:

peripheral
05-31-2016, 03:18 AM

Bird Box was certainly different in a good way. I'm not sure if it completely 'delivered' but you should decide that for yourself, I think :) EOW is entertaining so far and that is exactly what the trilogy is (for me anyway) - entertaining. Not up there with his best work but that's okay with me. It's definitely a new avenue for King and I don't think he's a great detective writer compared to the genre writers but his awesome storytelling skills are enough to tackle anything (again, IMO).

Thanks Michael. And yes, this Wayward Pines trilogy - I'll have to check that out too.

zelig
05-31-2016, 06:50 AM
Just finished Heart Shaped Box. Quick read and enjoyed it but not as much as his more recent novels. Could just be the story. I realize now I'm not that into ghost stories anymore.

Anubis2347
05-31-2016, 07:55 AM
Finally working my way through the Song of Fire and Ice series.... HOLY CRAP... these are AWESOME!!!!

Heather19
05-31-2016, 08:27 AM

Thanks Michael. And yes, this Wayward Pines trilogy - I'll have to check that out too.

Finally working my way through the Song of Fire and Ice series.... HOLY CRAP... these are AWESOME!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Girlystevedave
06-01-2016, 11:40 AM
I'm so jealous of anyone experiencing the Wayward Pines series for the first time. Such great books. :thumbsup:

Currently reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. While it's been pretty fun so far, I've hit a bump and am struggling to finish it at the moment.

webstar1000
06-01-2016, 01:30 PM
I'm so jealous of anyone experiencing the Wayward Pines series for the first time. Such great books. :thumbsup:

Currently reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. While it's been pretty fun so far, I've hit a bump and am struggling to finish it at the moment.

Omg is it??!! So mad I waited to read them!!! I have one left but read one so fast I have to wait for he 3rd as I am flying out west and needed a larger book.... City of Mirrors... Is all I wanted and more so far!! I love the recommendations here on books... Read more now than I ever did. Thanks everyone.. Too many to name... But thank you so much. Dying to read the next 100 pages!!!!

Sai Sheb
06-02-2016, 01:39 AM
Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy is great, stick with it!

Girlystevedave
06-02-2016, 04:38 AM
Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy is great, stick with it!

I plan to. I've made it too far to quit now. :lol:
I don't fault the book for me hitting a reading slump, because I have enjoyed it up until this point. The book is pretty damn brilliant, to be honest.

WeDealInLead
06-02-2016, 04:26 PM
Lincoln.

Awesome Lincoln, thanks. I'll look out for that one.

I agree with the rec 100%. From what I've seen on other boards, people are really into Barron or they can't stand him. I'm in the first category. I'm not a fanboy though, X's for Eyes was just too obnoxious, I couldn't even get through the entire novella. The Beautiful Thing is his best work IMO.

Brian Hodge is similar to Barron in a sense that he's wordy and does fine sentence architecture. His writing is a touch more straight forward so if Barron is too nebulous, give Hodge a try. He writes mostly short stories and novellas. CD published his latest collection called Picking the Bones. His e-books are dirt cheap on Amazon.

Reading: A Case of Conscience by James Blish. After that is High-Rise by Ballard and then new Gaiman and Hill. I'd like to say I randomly pick what I'm reading, but my next few months are already planned out (I group books by a theme).

jsmcmullen92
06-09-2016, 06:25 AM
Just picked up The Two Towers this morning. Hoping to crank through this one quicker than Fellowship. Really want to get back to some SK after this series.

webstar1000
06-09-2016, 06:32 AM
City of Mirrors... should finish this weekend... what a great ending so far. Have about a 100 pages left... then last Wayward Pines book (CANT wait) and then EOD.... after that... coming here to ask what I should get into next!!!??????? So far other than the Southern Reach Trilogy (which is the worst series of books I have ever read.. sorry to all that liked it) EVERYTHING I have read by the great folks here I have loved!!!

Brian861
06-09-2016, 07:04 AM
Trying to read Ghost Story by Straub but I'm struggling to get anywhere. Put it to the side for now. There are plenty of King books I still need to get to. Started on BOBD last night until my BCE of EOW arrives next week. Although most don't seem to be fans; I love the Hodges series so far and can't wait to dig in!

WeDealInLead
06-13-2016, 06:41 AM
Charles L. Grant - Stunts

Heather19
06-13-2016, 07:32 AM
Just started The Fireman. Loving it so far.

Webstar, have you read A Head Full of Ghosts yet? That's one that I just read last year and really enjoyed.

webstar1000
06-13-2016, 07:40 AM

Webstar, have you read A Head Full of Ghosts yet? That's one that I just read last year and really enjoyed.

Nope. I will though. You have NOT steered me wrong. I am blowing through City of Mirrors cause I wanna get to the last book in Wayward~!~

Tommy
06-13-2016, 07:54 AM
City of Mirrors here as well...

Stockerlone
06-13-2016, 10:54 AM
Have almost finished book 1 of Ann-Kathrin Karschnick´s dystropic Tesla-Punk love crime PHOENIX trilogie...
VERY VERY nice, can´t wait to read the other 2 books.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT6109.JPG

Erin
06-13-2016, 12:46 PM
I just looked up the Wayward Pines trilogy because I have never heard of it before and it sounds AMAZING. I'm a giant Twin Peaks fan, so I'm so excited to start this soon. Thanks guys!

Also, Amanda, I recently read the first 4 Hitchhiker's books and while I was really enjoying them, for some reason I just couldn't finish and had to walk away. I will eventually read the rest, but I'm just not motivated to do it. And it's weird, because like I said, I like them!

biomieg
06-13-2016, 12:57 PM
You should avoid Wayward Pines spoilers at all costs, if you can!

I really liked The Fireman and End of Watch. I could not put Wayward Pines down - read all three in four days, in between family, studying and my job. Best read so far in 2016 for me. Need to get to City of Mirrors but I'm afraid that I'll need to reread Passage and Twelve first. Maybe I'll start with The Fifth Heart instead...

Heather19
06-13-2016, 01:39 PM
I just looked up the Wayward Pines trilogy because I have never heard of it before and it sounds AMAZING. I'm a giant Twin Peaks fan, so I'm so excited to start this soon. Thanks guys!

:thumbsup: I love Twin Peaks too, can't wait for the new season to start!

You should avoid Wayward Pines spoilers at all costs, if you can!

I really liked The Fireman and End of Watch. I could not put Wayward Pines down - read all three in four days, in between family, studying and my job. Best read so far in 2016 for me. Need to get to City of Mirrors but I'm afraid that I'll need to reread Passage and Twelve first. Maybe I'll start with The Fifth Heart instead...

I agree. Luckily I read it before the tv show. I'm assuming you haven't seen it yet, and if not I'd hold off until you read the books. The surprises in the story are really good, and it'd be better if nothing was spoiled beforehand.

Nope. I will though. You have NOT steered me wrong. I am blowing through City of Mirrors cause I wanna get to the last book in Wayward~!~

I hope the trend continues :)

I guess after I finish The Fireman I should finally start with The Passage.

Ricky
06-13-2016, 04:07 PM
I guess after I finish The Fireman I should finally start with The Passage.

Do it! You're lucky that you can just plow through all three now!

webstar1000
06-13-2016, 05:14 PM
Yes... That series is so well done. You just have too!!!

Joe315
06-13-2016, 09:11 PM
Just finished the Wayward Pines trilogy as well. Great series. Now on to the tv show.

webstar1000
06-14-2016, 03:10 AM
Just finished the Wayward Pines trilogy as well. Great series. Now on to the tv show.

Be prepared to BE DISAPPOINTED:(

zelig
06-15-2016, 07:11 AM
Just started End of Watch.

Brian861
06-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Just started End of Watch.

Little over half way through, Paul and I'm really enjoying it.

Ricky
06-15-2016, 03:48 PM
Anxiously waiting for my copy to get here!

Mister_Oy
06-16-2016, 12:09 PM
Just read the David Eddings Belgariad stuff. Belgariad, Mallorean, Belgarath and Polgara. Really enjoyed them but the last one started to get a bit tiring towards the end. Still - a good set of 12 books!

Changing tack a bit now - just started Stephen Baxter's "Time's Tapestry" series - No1. Emperor. I've really enjoyed his alternative history stuff in the past so fingers crossed.

Br!an
06-16-2016, 02:01 PM
Just read the David Eddings Belgariad stuff. Belgariad, Mallorean, Belgarath and Polgara. Really enjoyed them but the last one started to get a bit tiring towards the end. Still - a good set of 12 books!

I read those as they came out. I loved them. I get what your saying though. By the time you've read them all it's time to move on.

WeDealInLead
06-16-2016, 04:57 PM
I finished End of Watch earlier today. I liked it a lot more than Mr. Mercedes and especially Finders Keepers (I'd give that book a negative star if I could). EoW is not King's best work but it's damned good. Unputdownable is the term, I believe. I'd like to see a S/L of all three books in one giant tome. Ya feelin' me, CD? I'm not sure what the word count for all three is but I doubt it's more than It, The Stand or other doorstoppers. .

I was deciding what to read next, either The View from the Cheap Seats or The Fireman. I noticed a trend among the 5-star reviews of The Fireman; they tend to come from reviewers who received the early reading copies for free. That and the less-than-welcoming opinions on here helped me choose The View. No regrets, Gaiman's love of writing and all things books shines through.

Heather19
06-16-2016, 05:55 PM
I just started The Fireman earlier this week and I'm completely hooked. I hope it stays as good as it currently is.

And now you have me contemplating that I should read End of Watch. I picked it up, because I have to have every King book, but I had no intentions of reading it because I wasn't a fan of Mr. Mercedes or Finders Keepers.

WeDealInLead
06-16-2016, 06:08 PM
What's different about EoW is that Hodges finally does some detective work.

Just kidding, it really is a good book. Economy of words, emotional gut-punch, one twisted bad guy.

Joe315
06-16-2016, 08:30 PM

Be prepared to BE DISAPPOINTED:(

The books were great and it will be very hard to for the show to match up. I will give it a watch anyways.

WeDealInLead
06-19-2016, 06:42 AM
I really, really, reaaaally liked Josh Malerman's Bird Box and was stoked to finally find a signed copy. The signature is basically just his initials. I don't expect a perfect signature, nor a legible one for that matter, but if a publisher, a book store or a fan pay for the signature, they should get one.

frik
06-19-2016, 08:54 AM
Just finished Mr. Mercedes - a re-read.
Love this book.

On to Finders Keepers - which I have not read before.

sk

Brian861
06-19-2016, 09:46 AM
Enjoyed the first issue of Tales from the Darkside.

webstar1000
06-20-2016, 04:30 AM
Anyone read Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothess? I was told I just have to read this book... Thought I would ask the guys n gals here

Girlystevedave
06-21-2016, 02:29 PM

Do it, Erin! It is an amazing series that hooks you immediately. I'm so excited for you to check it out. :clap:

Also, Amanda, I recently read the first 4 Hitchhiker's books and while I was really enjoying them, for some reason I just couldn't finish and had to walk away. I will eventually read the rest, but I'm just not motivated to do it. And it's weird, because like I said, I like them!

That's how I feel! I was really enjoying it when I first started, but I think I've just hit a spot where I need to take a break and get back to it later.

Girlystevedave
06-21-2016, 02:31 PM
Since I don't want to get to End of Watch just yet, but am craving that comforting feeling of sinking into a King book, I've decided to start Christine.

zelig
06-21-2016, 02:45 PM
Good choice. I really enjoyed Christine.

Mattrick
06-21-2016, 04:38 PM
Reading It for the first time.

Want to re-read Duma Key too. I loved Duma Key. Only King I've read which creeped me out consistently.

Brian861
06-21-2016, 09:16 PM

One of my all time favorites.

Want to re-read Duma Key too. I loved Duma Key. Only King I've read which creeped me out consistently.

One of his best IMO.

Girlystevedave
06-22-2016, 05:31 AM

I've always been intrigued with the small bits of the film I've seen over the years, so I figured I'd give it a shot.
I'm running out of "new" King material to read. :panic:

I think I need to re-read Duma Key one day. The only thing that stands out for me is the ending, so maybe if I wait a bit longer, I'll forget that part so I can enjoy a reread. :lol:

Speaking of re-reads, I've really been thinking about jumping into Rose Madder someday in the near future.

Ricky
06-22-2016, 07:04 AM
I know what you mean about running out of new King material, Amanda. I didn't realize that I only have a handful or two left. (Some I haven't read yet: Insomnia, Dreamcatcher, Doctor Sleep, Different Seasons, The Colorado Kid, Eyes of Dragon, Hearts In Atlantis...and a few others.) I also haven't read Rose Madder, so maybe we can do a buddy read. :)

Heather19
06-22-2016, 07:13 AM

I've been thinking of re-reading both of these this summer. Love them both. Funny that you say that about Duma Key, because It is one of the very few books to do that to me. It just gave me this creepy oppressive dread feeling while reading it. No book has ever outright scared me, that's the closest I get.

Since I don't want to get to End of Watch just yet, but am craving that comforting feeling of sinking into a King book, I've decided to start Christine.

Christine is classic King. Love it.

zelig
06-22-2016, 07:37 AM

I've always been intrigued with the small bits of the film I've seen over the years, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

There are parts in Kings best books that I feel don't get adequately translated into the film versions, and consequently they are entirely lost. I had watched some of the earlier movies like Cujo, Christine, Firestarter and The Dead Zone before I got around to reading the books, and when I eventually read them I was amazed with how some key themes were not present in the movies. Elements that I felt were so pivotal to the story, and made it so much more meaningful. But I guess that's just the nature of film versions of books. And there are exceptions of course.

zelig
06-22-2016, 07:39 AM
Currently reading The Goldfinch.

Girlystevedave
06-22-2016, 08:54 AM
I know what you mean about running out of new King material, Amanda. I didn't realize that I only have a handful or two left. (Some I haven't read yet: Insomnia, Dreamcatcher, Doctor Sleep, Different Seasons, The Colorado Kid, Eyes of Dragon, Hearts In Atlantis...and a few others.) I also haven't read Rose Madder, so maybe we can do a buddy read. :)

I have to say Eyes of the Dragon and Hearts in Atlantis are on my list of favorite King stories. You're in for a real treat with those.
Rose Madder is also a great one. Whenever you get around to reading it, let me know. Mayhap we can do a buddy read. :)

I've been thinking of re-reading both of these this summer. Love them both. Funny that you say that about Duma Key, because It is one of the very few books to do that to me. It just gave me this creepy oppressive dread feeling while reading it. No book has ever outright scared me, that's the closest I get.

Christine is classic King. Love it.

I'm looking forward to it! I've only read a few pages so far, but plan to open it back up here soon when my lunchbreak comes around. [rubs hands together]

There are parts in Kings best books that I feel don't get adequately translated into the film versions, and consequently they are entirely lost. I had watched some of the earlier movies like Cujo, Christine, Firestarter and The Dead Zone before I got around to reading the books, and when I eventually read them I was amazed with how some key themes were not present in the movies. Elements that I felt were so pivotal to the story, and made it so much more meaningful. But I guess that's just the nature of film versions of books. And there are exceptions of course.

Exactly. And that's why I love to try out King books even if I have seen parts of the film version. With Stephen King, you're guaranteed to get all these extra layers behind the story that couldn't be conveyed onto the screen. I know "the book is always better than the movie", no matter the author, but King is able to wield some completely other magic than most authors. :lol:

WeDealInLead
06-22-2016, 12:08 PM
Giving up Ballard's High-Rise. I just don't care about any of those idiots anymore.

I'm going to start The Fireman. I'm also reading a non-fiction book called Burning Fight.

Br!an
06-22-2016, 01:38 PM
Eyes of the Dragon, Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia are all related to The Dark Tower. They are must reads for Dark Tower fans.

Stebbins
06-22-2016, 05:00 PM
MAGIC- Isaac Asimov
IRON JOHN- Robert Bly

Stebbins
06-22-2016, 05:04 PM
Eyes of the Dragon, Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia are all related to The Dark Tower. They are must reads for Dark Tower fans.

Just saw this after my post. EotD, while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I wouldn't say it's that DT related; I mean that Flagg could be Walter from a different universe. I absolutely love HiA and would recommend it regardless of DT connections. INSOMNIA is the polar opposite case; regardless of DT ties, I would tell my friends and loved ones to steer clear of this book. Hated it. It's one of if not thee only King book I wouldn't recommend

Mattrick
06-22-2016, 05:33 PM
Never understood how people could hate Insomnia. Then again, people love Desperation and I wasn't a fan.

Being 200 pages into a novel is usually a good thing, unless you're reading some gargantuan King book and you're really about 17% finished.

Br!an
06-22-2016, 06:04 PM

EotD, while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I wouldn't say it's that DT related; I mean that Flagg could be Walter from a different universe.

It has Flagg being his usual charming self. Delain is Flagg's hometown. It's the same world as Roland's.

Girlystevedave
06-23-2016, 05:16 AM
INSOMNIA is the polar opposite case; regardless of DT ties, I would tell my friends and loved ones to steer clear of this book. Hated it. It's one of if not thee only King book I wouldn't recommend

I never cared for Insomnia either. After I read DT, I thought "Maybe I should give Insomnia another shot now, since it's got ties to the tower that I might appreciate this go around".
I got about halfway through my reread before I was like "Mm, no." :lol: And the book goes on and on and on. Am I right?!

*I used spoiler tags since Ricky said he hasn't read it yet.

Girlystevedave
06-23-2016, 05:25 AM

I am so glad I read Hearts in Atlantis before The Dark Tower because that made meeting up with Ted Brautigan in DT that much more exciting. Like seeing an old friend.

Heather19
06-23-2016, 06:15 AM
INSOMNIA is the polar opposite case; regardless of DT ties, I would tell my friends and loved ones to steer clear of this book. Hated it. It's one of if not thee only King book I wouldn't recommend

I never cared for Insomnia either. After I read DT, I thought "Maybe I should give Insomnia another shot now, since it's got ties to the tower that I might appreciate this go around".
I got about halfway through my reread before I was like "Mm, no." :lol: And the book goes on and on and on. Am I right?!

*I used spoiler tags since Ricky said he hasn't read it yet.

I agree. I thought about rereading it to see if I might in some very slight way be able to appreciate it at least a little bit, but I can't seem to make myself pick it back up. Probably my least favorite King book. I hated it.

webstar1000
06-23-2016, 06:54 AM
I LOVED Insomnia...

Ricky
06-23-2016, 07:29 AM
That's why I always try and finish a book, no matter how painful it is. You never know when it's going to get better. I really struggled with the first 50 pages of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but ended up loving it and devouring the other two. Then again, there's always times where I finish a book that never gets better and I think, why the heck did I stick with that?

Darkthoughts
06-23-2016, 08:55 AM
Treasure Island ~ RL Stevenson

Just because Black Sails... :)

Stockerlone
06-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Half way through The Bazaar of Bad Dreams .....

Ricky
06-23-2016, 11:10 AM
Treasure Island ~ RL Stevenson

Just because Black Sails... :)

It's on my to-read list for that same reason. Any good?

Mattrick
06-23-2016, 04:59 PM
That's why I always try and finish a book, no matter how painful it is. You never know when it's going to get better. I really struggled with the first 50 pages of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but ended up loving it and devouring the other two. Then again, there's always times where I finish a book that never gets better and I think, why the heck did I stick with that?

Always times like The Dark Half.

Darkthoughts
06-24-2016, 09:06 AM
It's on my to-read list for that same reason. Any good?
Hey Ricky :D Actually, yes! It's not an overly involved read but it's a well written narrative and very entertaining. Not the Silver you know from Black Sails at all though...

Ricky
06-24-2016, 11:31 AM
I think it was originally meant for children, right? I could be wrong, though. I need the summer to be about 4 months longer so I can fit in all the reading I want to do!

Has the Pirate's House in Savannah been mentioned yet? I ate there when I was in Savannah a few weeks ago and it supposedly is a relevant location to a certain character in the book. Not sure if you know the ending, so I won't spoil it just in case.

Girlystevedave
06-25-2016, 05:05 AM
I am really really really enjoying Christine.
Really. :)

sharki69
06-25-2016, 05:33 AM
Reading robopocalypse by Daniel Wilson - very good IMO

WeDealInLead
06-25-2016, 05:39 AM
Reading robopocalypse by Daniel Wilson - very good IMO

Agreed. Very entertaining. I found it to be like World War Z but with robots.

Ricky
06-25-2016, 07:44 AM

Christine is one of the few "classic" King books that I didn't really care for. I remember thinking it was too slow moving, but it's been years since I read it.

Girlystevedave
06-25-2016, 07:55 AM

Christine is one of the few "classic" King books that I didn't really care for. I remember thinking it was too slow moving, but it's been years since I read it.

It is pretty slow right now, but I'm really enjoying the character development that King is so good at. To be honest, when I decided to start it, I wasn't necessarily looking for a scary read, but just that comfortable feeling of a King book where I get to peek into the minds and lives of all these characters. :)

zelig
06-25-2016, 09:00 AM

It is pretty slow right now, but I'm really enjoying the character development that King is so good at. To be honest, when I decided to start it, I wasn't necessarily looking for a scary read, but just that comfortable feeling of a King book where I get to peek into the minds and lives of all these characters. :)

I also really liked Christine. Not one of my absolute favorites of the classics, but still I enjoyed it. The book had some of my favorite King quotes. I'm always amazed when authors are able to write about the human condition with such dexterity, if that's the right word. King can be so poetic when it comes to this, which is why I feel some of the movies fall short, because it's difficult to translate passages like this to film.

Here's a couple of my favorite lines from the book. It's just beautiful writing that gets me every time I read it.

She stiffened for a moment and then let me draw her against my shoulder. She was trembling. We just sat that way, both of us afraid of even the slightest movement, I think. Afraid we might explode. Or something. Across the room, the clock ticked importantly on the mantelpiece. Bright winterlight fell through the bow windows that give a three-way view of the street. The storm had blown itself out by noon on Christmas Day, and now the hard and cloudless blue sky seemed to deny that there even was such a thing as snow—but the dunelike drifts rolling across lawns all up and down the street like the backs of great buried beasts confirmed it.

By the time I had the mounted tire back in my trunk and had paid the guy two bucks for the job, the early evening light had become the fading purple of late evening. The shadow of each bush was long and velvety, and as I cruised slowly back up the street I saw the day's last light streaming almost horizontally through the trash-littered space between the Arby's and the bowling alley. That light, so much flooding gold, was nearly terrible in its strange, unexpected beauty.

I was surprised by a choking panic that climbed up in my throat like dry fire. It was the first time a feeling like that came over me that year—that long, strange year—but not the last. Yet it's hard for me to explain, or even define. It had something to do with realizing that it was August 11, 1978, that I was going to be a senior in high school next month, and that when school started again it meant the end of a long, quiet phase of my life. I was getting ready to be a grown-up, and I saw that somehow—saw it for sure, for the first time in that lovely but somehow ancient spill of golden light flooding down the alleyway between a bowling alley and a roast beef joint. And I think I understood then that what really scares people about growing up is that you stop trying on the life-mask and start trying on another one. If being a kid is about learning how to live, then being a grown-up is about learning how to die.

The feeling passed, but in its wake I felt shaken and melancholy. Neither state was much like my usual self.

mae
06-25-2016, 09:12 AM
Speaking of re-reads, I've really been thinking about jumping into Rose Madder someday in the near future.

Rose Madder is one of my favorite King novels. So underrated.

Girlystevedave
06-25-2016, 09:13 AM
I'm always amazed when authors are able to write about the human condition with such dexterity, if that's the right word. King can be so poetic when it comes to this, which is why I feel some of the movies fall short

Exactly. With Kings books, I know that, even if it doesn't end up being one of my favorite stories, I'm still guaranteed to meet these characters whose stories will always stick with me.

Also, I didn't click on the spoilers yet since I may not have reached the parts of the book you've quoted. :)

zelig
06-25-2016, 09:30 AM
Ha, yeah that's why I put them in spoilers. :smile: But check them out when you're done. I absolutely love those lines.

Girlystevedave
06-25-2016, 10:22 AM
I will! It took much will power and restraint to avoid clicking on them. :lol:

Brian861
06-25-2016, 10:51 AM
I also really liked Christine. Not one of my absolute favorites of the classics, but still I enjoyed it. The book had some of my favorite King quotes. I'm always amazed when authors are able to write about the human condition with such dexterity, if that's the right word. King can be so poetic when it comes to this, which is why I feel some of the movies fall short, because it's difficult to translate passages like this to film.

Here's a couple of my favorite lines from the book. It's just beautiful writing that gets me every time I read it.

She stiffened for a moment and then let me draw her against my shoulder. She was trembling. We just sat that way, both of us afraid of even the slightest movement, I think. Afraid we might explode. Or something. Across the room, the clock ticked importantly on the mantelpiece. Bright winterlight fell through the bow windows that give a three-way view of the street. The storm had blown itself out by noon on Christmas Day, and now the hard and cloudless blue sky seemed to deny that there even was such a thing as snow—but the dunelike drifts rolling across lawns all up and down the street like the backs of great buried beasts confirmed it.

By the time I had the mounted tire back in my boot and had paid the guy two bucks for the job, the early evening light had become the fading purple of late evening. The shadow of each bush was long and velvety, and as I cruised slowly back up the street I saw the day's last light streaming almost horizontally through the trash-littered space between the Arby's and the bowling alley. That light, so much flooding gold, was nearly terrible in its strange, unexpected beauty.

I was surprised by a choking panic that climbed up in my throat like dry fire. It was the first time a feeling like that came over me that year—that long, strange year—but not the last. Yet it's hard for me to explain, or even define. It had something to do with realizing that it was August 11, 1978, that I was going to be a senior in high school next month, and that when school started again it meant the end of a long, quiet phase of my life. I was getting ready to be a grown-up, and I saw that somehow—saw it for sure, for the first time in that lovely but somehow ancient spill of golden light flooding down the alleyway between a bowling alley and a roast beef joint. And I think I understood then that what really scares people about growing up is that you stop trying on the life-mask and start trying on another one. If being a kid is about learning how to live, then being a grown-up is about learning how to die.

The feeling passed, but in its wake I felt shaken and melancholy. Neither state was much like my usual self.

Couldn't agree more, Paul on the passages. One of my all time favorites. Back in the day when it seemed King was hitting everything out of the park.

Cordial Jim
06-25-2016, 06:28 PM
I'm currently reading the first Dave Robicheaux book (The Neon Rain) by James Lee Burke (1987). Really enjoying it so far. He is a most excellent writer.

http://magnum-mania.com/images/burke_rain.jpg

Tommy
06-25-2016, 07:34 PM
70 pages from finishing The City of Mirrors. I've liked this one much better than The Twelve.

The King novels I haven't read are Firestarter, Christine, The Dead Zone and End of Watch.

I saw those movies a lot when I was a kid (except for EOW obviously) and I think that's why I haven't read those three yet. Of those, which is the best?

zelig
06-25-2016, 07:38 PM
Of the ones you mentioned, if I were to choose a favorite, it would be The Dead Zone. From there, I would say Firestarter then Christine and EoW. I loved The Dead Zone.

Brian861
06-25-2016, 07:43 PM
70 pages from finishing The City of Mirrors. I've liked this one much better than The Twelve.

The King novels I haven't read are Firestarter, Christine, The Dead Zone and End of Watch.

I saw those movies a lot when I was a kid (except for EOW obviously) and I think that's why I haven't read those three yet. Of those, which is the best?

Wow, Tommy, tough call and all up to personal preference I'm sure. But of those three, my list would be TDZ, Christine, and Firestarter. I'm about 100 pages out from finishing EOW and love it so far. I'd knock it out first if you have the time then move on to the classics ya listed. If you liked Mr. Mercedes, you'll love EOW IMO. FK I didn't care all that much for.

Brian861
06-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Of the ones you mentioned, if I were to choose a favorite, it would be The Dead Zone. From there, I would say Firestarter then Christine and EoW. I loved The Dead Zone.

Great minds, Paul. Loved Christopher Walken in the film, loved the book twice as much if not more.

zelig
06-25-2016, 08:04 PM

Great minds, Paul. Loved Christopher Walken in the film, loved the book twice as much if not more.

Yeah the book is great. Just such a sad story though at the heart of it. I enjoyed the movie, but agree that the book is so much better.

Mattrick
06-25-2016, 11:24 PM
I haven't read a lot of old King. To be honest I'm not a fan of most of it. It's 50/50 for me at best. Dead Zone and Christine are two I haven't read yet.

I'm about 350 pages into IT. It's a drama about kids that happens to feature an evil clown demon. The story could practically exist without Pennywise at this point lol.

Tommy
06-26-2016, 03:34 AM
Hey thanks guys! I will probably read End of Watch next just to finish up the trilogy as soon as it shows up at the library (I need the large print editions these days) and then TDZ.

Mattrick, It is my favorite King novel, you are in for a wild ride!

Ricky
06-26-2016, 10:14 AM

Of those, which is the best?

I think those are some of my least favorite. If I had to choose, though, I think I'd rank them: Christine, Firestarter, The Dead Zone ("best" to "worst"). Almost halfway through End of Watch.

Tommy
06-26-2016, 07:56 PM
Thanks Ricky!

Girlystevedave
06-28-2016, 05:29 AM

Dead Zone Dead Zone Dead Zone.
I love that book so much that I've read it multiple times. :thumbsup:

webstar1000
06-28-2016, 06:46 AM
Just finished City of Mirrors. LOVED IT! Now finishing the last book in the Wayward Pines series:) LOVIN IT!

HONKYTONKSMASH
06-29-2016, 03:52 PM
Reading The Passage by Cronin (its really good) and The crippled God (Erikson) which is also really good

mae
06-29-2016, 04:38 PM

The Dead Zone, hands down. Very timely these days, too. Firestarter is a great and fun sci-fi romp. Christine was okay but nothing spectacular.

Girlystevedave
06-29-2016, 07:05 PM
I got almost to the end of Firestarter a few years back and never finished it. For some reason, it never grabbed me. I really ought to give it another shot one of these days.

fernandito
06-30-2016, 11:47 AM
If I told you guys which SK novels I have yet to read ya'll would kill me.

zelig
06-30-2016, 12:03 PM

Now you gotta tell us!

Heather19
06-30-2016, 01:38 PM

Now you gotta tell us!

Agreed. You can't make a statement like that and not tell us :)

I have a number of classic and not so classic King left to read.

zelig
06-30-2016, 01:43 PM
I'm still on my quest to read/re-read all of King's novels and short story collections. Been about 2 1/2 years now and I've read 56 books. I have 12 left and currently reading IT.

Girlystevedave
06-30-2016, 02:14 PM

I'm insanely jealous that you still have so much unread King to consume. :lol:

But, like everyone else said, spill it! Which books?

Brian861
06-30-2016, 10:34 PM
Well, wasn't directed towards me but I'll list mine :)

TBOBD (next up after I finish EOW)
Black House
Blaze (Started but never finished it. Still bookmarked with the front DJ flap where I stop)
Blockade Billy (Included in TBOBD so I'll get to it then)
Creepshow (Saw the movies of course)
Cycle of the Werewolf (Loved the film version)
Danse Macabre
Dreamcatcher
11/22/63
Faithful
Hearts in Atlantis (Enjoyed this film also)
Joyland
Just After Sunset
My Pretty Pony
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
The Talisman
Umney's Last Case
TWTTKH

Mattrick
06-30-2016, 11:02 PM
I won't include collections since I'm not big into his short stories. Off the top of my head...

Salem's Lot
The Talisman
Black House
Dolores Claiborne
It (reading now)
Blaze
Bachman Books
Needful Things
Christine
11/22/63
Doctor Sleep
Mr Mercedes
End of Watch
That other one in that trilogy
Wind Through The Keyhole
Misery
The Green Mile
The Dead Zone
The Regulators
The Tommyknockers

Mattrick
06-30-2016, 11:03 PM
I won't include collections since I'm not big into his short stories. Off the top of my head...

Salem's Lot
The Talisman
Black House
Dolores Claiborne
It (reading now)
Blaze
Bachman Books
Needful Things
Christine
11/22/63
Doctor Sleep
Mr Mercedes
End of Watch
Wind Through The Keyhole
Misery
The Green Mile
The Dead Zone
The Regulators
The Tommyknockers

Tommy
06-30-2016, 11:12 PM

The Dead Zone, hands down. Very timely these days, too. Firestarter is a great and fun sci-fi romp. Christine was okay but nothing spectacular.

Thanks pablo!

It looks like the next one I will read is EOW because my hold request at the library came through! TDZ will come after that.

Tommy
06-30-2016, 11:15 PM

Black House
Blaze (Started but never finished it. Still bookmarked with the front DJ flap where I stop)
Danse Macabre
Dreamcatcher
11/22/63
Faithful
Joyland
Just After Sunset
My Pretty Pony
The Talisman
Umney's Last Case
TWTTKH

Salem's Lot
The Talisman
Black House
Dolores Claiborne
It (reading now)
Blaze
Bachman Books
Needful Things
Christine
11/22/63
Doctor Sleep
Mr Mercedes
End of Watch
Wind Through The Keyhole
Misery
The Green Mile
The Dead Zone
The Regulators
The Tommyknockers

You guys have a lot of great reading ahead of you! :coo3l:

Mattrick
06-30-2016, 11:18 PM
You should see my non King list

Tommy
06-30-2016, 11:39 PM

Mine is infinite, it's weird but I find it kind of comforting that I will never be able to read all the books that I want in this one lifetime. There will always be something waiting after I finish the book I am currently reading...

needfulthings
07-01-2016, 12:13 AM

Mine is infinite, it's weird but I find it kind of comforting that I will never be able to read all the books that I want in this one lifetime. There will always be something waiting after I finish the book I am currently reading...
:evil:
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/2241/GYxJot.jpg

Tommy
07-01-2016, 12:30 AM

:evil:
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/2241/GYxJot.jpg

Just so long as my glasses don't break...:doh:

jsmcmullen92
07-01-2016, 04:35 AM
What did people think of SK FAB8? I have an old reading copy sitting on my floor and I am tempted to pick it up every time I walk by but the thought of the story is just so weird to me.

zelig
07-01-2016, 06:40 AM

Black House
Danse Macabre
Dreamcatcher
11/22/63
Faithful
Joyland
Just After Sunset
My Pretty Pony
The Talisman
Umney's Last Case
TWTTKH

Salem's Lot
The Talisman
Black House
Dolores Claiborne
It (reading now)
Blaze
Bachman Books
Needful Things
Christine
11/22/63
Doctor Sleep
Mr Mercedes
End of Watch
Wind Through The Keyhole
Misery
The Green Mile
The Dead Zone
The Regulators
The Tommyknockers

You guys have a lot of great reading ahead of you! :coo3l:

I see two of my favorite King books in both lists. Blaze and 11/22/63. Mattrick, I'd recommend you shoot for Dolores Claiborne and The Dead Zone. Another two of my favorites from your list.

Here's what I still have left to read:

Bazaar of Bad Dreams
Black House
Colorado Kid
Danse Macabre
Dreamcatcher
Everything's Eventual
Four Past Midnight
IT (Currently re-reading)
Nightmares & Dreamscapes
Rage
The Tommyknockers
The Stand (would be a re-read)

What did people think of SK FAB8? I have an old reading copy sitting on my floor and I am tempted to pick it up every time I walk by but the thought of the story is just so weird to me.

For me, FAB8 was one of my least favorite books. I just couldn't get into it and struggled to get through it.

jsmcmullen92
07-01-2016, 08:58 AM

For me, FAB8 was one of my least favorite books. I just couldn't get into it and struggled to get through it.

See Paul that is what is weird to me. Why did they make a S/L of a book that is just meh. Where is the S/L Duma Key and real S/L of 11/22/63 & UTD (Not the crappy Publisher ones)?

zelig
07-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Good questions. Not everyone disliked FAB8 though, but yeah there are definitely better books that could do with a nice limited.

Ricky
07-01-2016, 02:21 PM
All this list making got me curious about how many King books I have left:

Bag of Bones
The Colorado Kid
Cycle of the Werewolf
Doctor Sleep
Dreamcatcher
The Eyes of the Dragon
Gerald's Game
Insomnia
Rose Madder
On Writing
Danse Macabre
Faithful
Different Seasons
Four Past Midnight
Hearts in Atlantis

(almost through End of Watch)

sharki69
07-01-2016, 02:28 PM
Read steelheart by Brandon Sanderson in 2 days. It's so good

WeDealInLead
07-01-2016, 02:43 PM
The Fireman is pretty good so far. Only 60 pages in but I'm not skipping/skimming anything.

Brian861
07-01-2016, 11:20 PM

See Paul that is what is weird to me. Why did they make a S/L of a book that is just meh. Where is the S/L Duma Key and real S/L of 11/22/63 & UTD (Not the crappy Publisher ones)?

I didn't care at all for FAB8 either. I thought Duma Key was outstanding and is definitely in need of special attention. I can't speak for 11/22/63 yet as I haven't read it but I enjoyed the show and looks like something I'd really enjoy. UTD was just meh for me. And how about Needful Things? Another worthy book for a S/L IMO.

Brian861
07-01-2016, 11:23 PM
The Fireman is pretty good so far. Only 60 pages in but I'm not skipping/skimming anything.

I think this is our first positive outlook on the boards so far for this book. It's next on my list after finishing EOW and TBOBD. Will be my first Joe Hill read outside of the 1st issue of Tales From the Darkside.

peripheral
07-02-2016, 12:10 AM
I agree Brian. Duma Key and Needful Things would be my preference for the S/L treatment, along with Misery... Top 3.

Brian861
07-02-2016, 12:19 AM
I agree Brian. Duma Key and Needful Things would be my preference for the S/L treatment, along with Misery... Top 3.

Oh yea, Misery! Can't believe I forgot about that one! One of my all time favs. I wouldn't be able to afford a S/L of these books but could settle for an AE if one is ever offered. King isn't getting any younger though so time is of the essence if these (and others) are to get done. Otherwise, I fear we'd just end up with a facsimile sig :|

biomieg
07-02-2016, 02:28 AM

I think this is our first positive outlook on the boards so far for this book. It's next on my list after finishing EOW and TBOBD. Will be my first Joe Hill read outside of the 1st issue of Tales From the Darkside.

I really liked the Fireman. Maybe not his best (my favorites are Heart Shaped Box and NOS4A2) but a very entertaining read!

zelig
07-02-2016, 04:22 AM

I wouldn't start with The Fireman though Brian. Go with NOS4A2 or Horns. Two of his best. Just my opinion.

WeDealInLead
07-02-2016, 05:43 AM

I wouldn't start with The Fireman though Brian. Go with NOS4A2 or Horns. Two of his best. Just my opinion.

I'm really surprised I like it so far. The reviews aren't that great. According to them the middle part is when things grind to a halt. Dunno, we'll see.

My favourite Hill novel is H-S B. It's pretty rough but I like its honesty and rawness. 20thCG uber alles, though. And I agree about not starting with The Fireman. Hill's bibliography isn't massive. Start chronologically and work your way through. They're not exactly dense reads.

Ricky
07-02-2016, 06:45 AM
And how about Needful Things? Another worthy book for a S/L IMO.

Agreed on Needful Things! I'd buy the heck out of that. Misery, too.

Brian861
07-02-2016, 08:36 AM

I'm really surprised I like it so far. The reviews aren't that great. According to them the middle part is when things grind to a halt. Dunno, we'll see.

My favourite Hill novel is H-S B. It's pretty rough but I like its honesty and rawness. 20thCG uber alles, though. And I agree about not starting with The Fireman. Hill's bibliography isn't massive. Start chronologically and work your way through. They're not exactly dense reads.

Alright. Will do, guys, thanks! I'll have to see if my local library has copies as I only have a reading copy for The Fireman.

Mattrick
07-02-2016, 09:22 PM
I have no idea what S/L means.

peripheral
07-02-2016, 09:26 PM

It stands for Signed and Limited (numbered) edition of a book.

peripheral
07-03-2016, 02:07 AM
I recently finished North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud. I really enjoyed it, great modern short stories with a Lovecraftian feel. I continued the modern Lovecraft theme with Laird Barron's first story collection, The Imago Sequence. I'm really enjoying it - Barron has a wonderful ability to slowly reveal the evil just beneath the mundane and suburban, reminds me of David Lynch movies. Although I've found some of Barron's story endings are a little dissatisfying.

2016 Reading List
Read so far:
Carrie (3rd reading - I'm going through SK in chronological order)
The Southern Reach Trilogy - VanderMeer
Transformer: Complete Lou Reed Story - Bockis
Iron Man - Iommi
Killer Next Door - Marwood
Illustrated Man - Bradbury
Revival - King
Bazaar of Bad Dreams - King
Glimpses - Hautala
North American Lake Monsters - Ballingrud

The Image Sequence - Barron (Currently reading)

Planned to read this year
Bill Hodges Trilogy - King (yes, I haven't read any of them yet)
The Passage Trilogy - Cronin
The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All - Barron
Last Days - Evenson

Girlystevedave
07-03-2016, 05:38 AM

I struggle when people abbreviate the titles of the books their talking about. As soon as I find out what TBODB is, I'll know that's what Brian is reading next. I'm sure it's supposed to be obvious, but I'm not good at deciphering things like that. :lol:

Brian861
07-03-2016, 06:07 AM

I struggle when people abbreviate the titles of the books their talking about. As soon as I find out what TBODB is, I'll know that's what Brian is reading next. I'm sure it's supposed to be obvious, but I'm not good at deciphering things like that. :lol:

LOL. The Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

Mattrick
07-03-2016, 11:33 PM

I don't know if NOS4A2 is the title or the abbreviation.

Tommy
07-04-2016, 12:27 AM

I don't know if NOS4A2 is the title or the abbreviation.

I think it might be both man.