PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

TerribleT
12-07-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm re-reading the entire series back to back. (My first time) I just finished Drawing of the Three last night, and will be on to The Wastelands this weekend. The Wastelands has always been a bit tedious to me, and it's by far not my favorite book of the series. A thought on Drawing of the Three revised...I seem to remember that in the original versions of the first three books Eddie, and Susannah were never really identified as gunslingers, but it seems as though in the revised version Roland pegs them as gunslingers almost immediately. I kind of preferred the original version where it slowly dawns on Roland that they are to be gunslingers. Am I way off kilter here?

Jean
12-07-2007, 12:01 PM
From a Buick 8
oh, I hope you like it! Many people don't, but I do, and a lot (Fruno, too)

Terrible T: Roland was quite soon aware of the fact that at least Detta was a born gunslinger.

Matt
12-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Almost done with Heart Shaped Box, it was really good.

alinda
12-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks Jean, I have actually found a SK book I havent read, well, minus the new releases....I am enjoying it very much so far. I 1/2 expect a visit from the lowmen.

From a Buick 8
oh, I hope you like it! Many people don't, but I do, and a lot (Fruno, too)

Terrible T: Roland was quite soon aware of the fact that at least Detta was a born gunslinger.

ManOfWesternesse
12-07-2007, 02:34 PM
I'm re-reading the entire series back to back. (My first time) I just finished Drawing of the Three last night, and will be on to The Wastelands this weekend. The Wastelands has always been a bit tedious to me, and it's by far not my favorite book of the series. A thought on Drawing of the Three revised...I seem to remember that in the original versions of the first three books Eddie, and Susannah were never really identified as gunslingers, but it seems as though in the revised version Roland pegs them as gunslingers almost immediately. I kind of preferred the original version where it slowly dawns on Roland that they are to be gunslingers. Am I way off kilter here?

TT, the only 'revised' is The Gunslinger itself - Drawing.. is not a revised book. (King talked about revising Drawing + Wastelands - but never actually did it.
Anyway - on the point you raise - I think Roland formed the opinion quite early that they were both destined to be Gunslingers - unlikely as that seemed even to him!

Bev Vincent
12-07-2007, 02:45 PM
test

Matt
12-07-2007, 03:12 PM
It works!

:lol:

<--loves that spoiler button

That was one of the first things I added.

ManOfWesternesse
12-07-2007, 03:25 PM
It works!

It also sucks you in!
I went over it a few times wondering if there was something other than "test" in there! :lol:

alinda
12-07-2007, 03:26 PM
hee! me too!!

Patrick
12-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Bill, Capote's book IN COLD BLOOD is worth the read.

I finished A CLOCKWORK ORANGE. Outstanding!

Now on to DIARY by Chuck Palahniuk.

Daghain
12-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Slow down! You're making me look bad. :lol:

Patrick
12-07-2007, 05:55 PM
:lol: I read IN COLD BLOOD a year or so ago - didn't mean to create the impression that I was breezing through all these reads.

I recommend A CLOCKWORK ORANGE. Great story, great writing style, awesome slang. Interesting foreward by the author. I didn't know that the whole world got the original 21 chapter book that Burgess intended, except the U.S. market who got only the first 20 chapters. The New York publisher cut the last chapter for the U.S. market when it was released in the early '60's and that's all we had for about 25 years. I'm glad this was the full version.

sarajean
12-07-2007, 07:22 PM
i'm reading new moon by stephenie meyer.

i hate both myself and maerlyn right now. myself for enjoying it, and maerlyn for making me read these books.

Daghain
12-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Damnit, I've been tempted to pick up that series a couple times. Don't encourage me! :lol:

sarajean
12-07-2007, 07:41 PM
seriously, don't. it's all teenage love/lust with vampires.

i'm so ashamed. :cry:

Daghain
12-07-2007, 08:10 PM

Guilty pleasures. Good times. :rofl:

NeedfulKings
12-08-2007, 04:13 PM
From a Buick 8

I just read that earlier this year. Great story!!! I loved it, cover to cover!!!

I'm really loving In Cold Blood, Patrick. I'm only about 60 pages in, but am savoring every page. It's my first Truman Capote book--it won't be my last!!!

Oh, and it's a "group read" with BedofRoses. :couple: She's loving it too!!

Ruthful
12-08-2007, 08:03 PM
until I realized some idiot had marked it up with personal notes and parenthetical thoughts.

I think people who do that to public library books in circulation should be subjected to routine beatdowns.
I borrowed Dreamcatcher from the library a while back, and some total fruitloop had written the weirdest stuff into the margins, and underlined random words and phrases that made me feel they were quite disturbed. I'm sure I posted something he/she had written in this thread some where...certainly added to the tension in the story :lol:

He's probably being interviewed by FBI agents as we speak.

Seriously though, that always annoys me. What's especially obnoxious is when I see that someone has scribbled a patently obvious/superfluous observation in the margins of the text.

That's when I wish I had a DNA lab at home so I could track that person down and beat him into a coma of his own stupidity.

OchrisO
12-08-2007, 08:36 PM
I finished The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle today at work and started on The Sign of the Four, which is one of his Sherlock Holmes books. Both are available as free audiobooks at http://www.librivox.org. I really enjoyed The Lost World, and I always enjoy Sherlock Holmes stories.

When I have time I have been reading a bit of The Golden Compass, but school is still taking up too much time for that, finals are this coming week, after taht I can read more often.

Daghain
12-08-2007, 08:56 PM

Seriously though, that always annoys me. What's especially obnoxious is when I see that someone has scribbled a patently obvious/superfluous observation in the margins of the text.

That's when I wish I had a DNA lab at home so I could track that person down and beat him into a coma of his own stupidity.

That, and people who think a highlighter should be use to highlight every.line.in.the.book.

What is that? It's a HIGHLIGHTER, meant to HIGHLIGHT important points in the book. If you're going to highlight the whole book, you've missed the point. :angry:

OchrisO
12-08-2007, 10:26 PM

That, and people who think a highlighter should be use to highlight every.line.in.the.book.

What is that? It's a HIGHLIGHTER, meant to HIGHLIGHT important points in the book. If you're going to highlight the whole book, you've missed the point. :angry:

In some books, every line of a few pages in a row might be heavily important. I highlight as I read when I realize that what I am reading holds merit, so sometimes I end up highlighting a couple full pages. Also, I can explain why some people write very obvious things in the margins of the pages that might seem dumb when some people see them. When reading a book for a class, especially a class that does a lot of discussion and paper writing, you often have to reference back to points in the book to pull quotations for a discussion or a paper. When you write a note about what is happening in a scene of the book in the margin, it makes it way easier to find that point of the book by flipping through it. I do this quite often myself and as a result, I am much better at making points in class taht I would be without them as I don't have to pause for near as long to look for the proof to back up my assertion. I even have bunch of notes through Uncle Tom's Cabin taht just say things like "Racism, paper" because I wanted to be able to quickly find them when I was writing a paper about the Racism and Prejudice of Harriet Beecher Stowe.
Look, a couple of pages from my copy of Uncle Tom's Cabin from my American Romanticism class this semester to make a few of you cringe:
This one just shows how a typical page in a book I use for class looks. "Christianity and Slavery at Odds" "He could have changed, implies the importance of abolishing slavery immediately" "Pointing out problems with Northern Abolitionist thought" "Shows people can overcome prejudice"

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/polkacore/firstexample.jpg

This one shows notes that would seem pointless to someone else, but all had purpose for me, either as paper notes or stuff to bring up in class.
"Haley does this because he hates to se it, not because it is cruel to slaves." "Admonishment of American thought, paper" Sarcastic admonishment of American clergy, paper"

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/polkacore/pointlessexample.jpg

This is just an example of how sometimes the whole pages end up highlighted a I read
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/polkacore/allhighlite.jpg

This one was just comments on Tom that I wanted to bring up in class. and it makes a good example of how I tend to fill margins with stuff. " Tom wasn't against running away, at this point he just felt that God had called to him to minister to those in captivity"
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/polkacore/commentsontom.jpg

The notes on this page pretty much just state the obvious when reading the page, but they were used as notes for me to find the passages in class discussion. "More admonishment of Christians who condone or allow slavery" The second note says "Forgive them father for they know not what they do..." because i was wanting to not it for using in talking about Tom as a Christ-like figure.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/polkacore/lastexample.jpg

All in all, looking at the pages of any book I use for school would drive most of you insane. :)

Daghain
12-08-2007, 10:40 PM
:panic:

My eyes! My eyes!

Well, yours make sense, at least. I've seen some used books in the bookstore that have the most inane things highlighted - you wonder if the person even passed the class.

I think I still have that Catholic school guilt thing where it is sacrilege to write in a book. :lol: But I never wrote in mine. I could never bring myself to do it, and I still can't. :D Yeah, I had to do some page-flipping to write papers, but that was easier for me to live with.

Ruthful
12-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Not necessarily.

Back in college whenever I would purchase a used textbook from the campus bookstore I expected it to be marked up.

You expect books stocked by a public library to be relatively intact though.

OchrisO
12-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Sometimes people get books for class from the library. I have before and I think I remember Erin getting a book for class from the library once as well. However, I don't write in those. Other folks have different opinions of public property, I suppose. Books are sometimes donated to libraries from personal collections as well. That's probably the two biggest contributions to books in libraries ending up like that.

Daghain
12-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Not necessarily.

Back in college whenever I would purchase a used textbook from the campus bookstore I expected it to be marked up.

You expect books stocked by a public library to be relatively intact though.

I did too, but there's a limit! If 99.9% of the book is yellow, I'm not buying it. :lol:

I never bought highlighted books. I found them too distracting. I'd pay extra for the new, untouched version first. Usually, though, I could find a minimally marked up copy to use.

OchrisO
12-08-2007, 11:10 PM
I like getting a good marked up book for English classes, preferrably with writing from multiple owners. It sometimes brings interesting perspective to the reading.

Daghain
12-08-2007, 11:11 PM
OMG I found that soooo distracting. :lol:

Darkthoughts
12-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Daggers I'm with you on the "no writing in books" thing. I didn't goto Catholic school (:orely:...that would have been...interesting!) it was just my Dad, (who's a big book freak too) instilled in me that you don't write in books, don't bend the pages to mark your place, don't bend the cover over when reading, don't break the spine...etc, etc :lol: So I could never bring myself to do it either.

When I'm researching for the Tower connections I use post it notes, or lots of place markers and a notebook.

Jean
12-09-2007, 10:41 AM
there are books intended to be marked (like guidebooks, scientific/scholarly treatises etc), and there are books where the flow of text should not be interrupted in any way not meant by the author (fiction). If I have to mark something in the latter, I do it with a soft pensil, and on the margins (tick or vertical line). It's easy to find, easy to remove, and does not interfere with the text.

jayson
12-09-2007, 11:53 AM
I am guilty of writing in books. I suspect if I look now at my copy of "Hero With a Thousand Faces" I could probably recreate most of the papers I wrote in college. I got a second copy to lend out to people so they can just read Campbell's thoughts and not mine.:orely:

Daghain
12-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Daggers I'm with you on the "no writing in books" thing. I didn't goto Catholic school (:orely:...that would have been...interesting!) it was just my Dad, (who's a big book freak too) instilled in me that you don't write in books, don't bend the pages to mark your place, don't bend the cover over when reading, don't break the spine...etc, etc :lol: So I could never bring myself to do it either.

When I'm researching for the Tower connections I use post it notes, or lots of place markers and a notebook.

OH, dog-earing pages drives me batty. :lol:

I'm a big post-it note person myself.

OchrisO
12-09-2007, 03:00 PM
There's nothing I love more than a book that looks like it has been thoroughly used. I love when a book is all roughed up, written in, etc, because it means the book has, in most cases, been read a lot and went back to over and over.

towerguard
12-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Just finished a re-read of Brave New World, now I'm starting up His Dark Materials again.

Daghain
12-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Just finished The Colorado Kid and am starting a reread of Carrie.

JasKo
12-10-2007, 03:10 AM
Just started for the first time on book 4, and I am amazed. I actually took the buss from work till the end, I didn't get off at my stop, because I wanted to read the book. So I ended up riding the buss for another hour before I came home....

Damn you King Sai!!

Jean
12-10-2007, 03:25 AM
the beginning of volume 4 (the Blaine part) is one of my very favorites in the whole world's literature.

fernandito
12-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Just finished a re-read of Brave New World...

That is such a great book. I need to collect all those amazing books that I read back in High School - Brave New World, Lord of The Flies, Of Mice and Men etc.

sai blaine
12-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Touch the Dark by Karen Chance

Darkthoughts
12-10-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm going to reread Deathly Hallows. I wanted to leave it a good long while before I did, but I've got some quite heavy and disturbing stuff in my "to read" pile - so I'd like to reread it now as something more easy going and palatable before the serious stuff :)

OchrisO
12-10-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm going to reread Deathly Hallows. I wanted to leave it a good long while before I did, but I've got some quite heavy and disturbing stuff in my "to read" pile - so I'd like to reread it now as something more easy going and palatable before the serious stuff :)

Now you can re-read it looking for clues to Dumbledore being gay. :)

Darkthoughts
12-10-2007, 02:45 PM
:lol: I was completely thinking that!!

Matt
12-10-2007, 02:45 PM
I have moved on to Demons and Angles by the DiVinci code guy. It's another Robert Langdon story. I'm enjoying it.

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Re-reading The Gunslinger's Guidebook :cool:

jayson
12-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Started a re-read of Song of Susannah this weekend. Definitely one of my fav in the series, mostly because of The :rose:

sarah
12-10-2007, 08:56 PM
seriously, don't. it's all teenage love/lust with vampires.

i'm so ashamed. :cry:

you should be ashamed. i'm embarrassed for you. now shut up and stop talking about it. don't tell anyone and hide under your pillow.

Daghain
12-10-2007, 09:21 PM

Pot-stirrer.

Storyslinger
12-11-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm rereading SoS, I can't remember much from that book

Brice
12-11-2007, 08:20 AM
until I realized some idiot had marked it up with personal notes and parenthetical thoughts.

I think people who do that to public library books in circulation should be subjected to routine beatdowns.
I borrowed Dreamcatcher from the library a while back, and some total fruitloop had written the weirdest stuff into the margins, and underlined random words and phrases that made me feel they were quite disturbed. I'm sure I posted something he/she had written in this thread some where...certainly added to the tension in the story :lol:

:lol: I have a copy of Helter Skelter I got from a giveaway bin from a public library. Inside it are crazy scrawlings where some freak is ranting about how Charlie was his idol and how he wanted to be just like him...just crazy shit throughout the whole book.

Darkthoughts
12-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Ok, you win :lol: A Charles Manson wannabe is much freakier!

sai blaine
12-11-2007, 11:04 AM
I need a good book on dragons :( anyone know of any?

Darkthoughts
12-11-2007, 11:05 AM
A story or a reference type thing?

sai blaine
12-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Im biased <_< anything with or to do with dragons...except eragon...and pern...and storm of wings...and a game of thrones...

Darkthoughts
12-11-2007, 11:18 AM
And i take it you've read The Hobbit?

Brice
12-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Ok, you win :lol: A Charles Manson wannabe is much freakier!

Yeah, I know. I have since moved away ( I believe) a safe distance from that library. :lol:

It's kinda' funny in a totally crazy way. The guy underlined apparently random words and phrases in the book and wrote in the margins like Chris' pictures of his books for school. Then there are little tidbits like him circling a picture of Charlie and pointing out that it is Charlie's best picture. It's almost like he was doing some perversely mad research paper. :rofl:

sai blaine
12-11-2007, 11:27 AM
no....<_<

Brice
12-11-2007, 11:28 AM
no....<_<

Go... now...boy. Read it!

Erin
12-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Aww snap! Brice just laid down the law!

I'm still on Imajica, I swear it's taking me a million years to read this book.

Brice
12-11-2007, 11:41 AM
I love that story.

sai blaine
12-11-2007, 11:42 AM
no....<_<

But....why?....its not that good...

Matt
12-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Hmmm...maybe Eyes of the Dragon?

fernandito
12-11-2007, 04:02 PM

The same thing is happening with me and A Game of Thrones.

Erin
12-11-2007, 04:10 PM
It's so weird! I feel like i'm reading all the time, and enjoying the story, but for each page I read, 4 more get added or something.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 05:17 PM
but for each page I read, 4 more get added or something.

Its not just your mind, it really is happening.

Erin
12-11-2007, 05:30 PM
This is the book that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend, some girl started reading it not knowing what it was, and she will keep on reading it for ever just becaussssssseeeee....this is the book that never ends.......

LadyHitchhiker
12-11-2007, 09:57 PM
I am currently reading finally a non-star trek book.. I'm reading Michael Crichton's Next.. I'm not very far yet though so I can't tell you if it's good or not.

sarajean
12-11-2007, 10:42 PM
sai blaine...read the elvenbane by mercedes lackey and andre norton.

sai blaine
12-12-2007, 01:46 AM
elves and dragons and wizards eh :orly: intresting? :unsure:

sai blaine
12-12-2007, 01:48 AM

The same thing is happening with me and A Game of Thrones.
I love that book and the series ^_^ cant wait for Dance With Dragons :excited:

Darkthoughts
12-12-2007, 01:53 AM
no....<_<

How would you know if you haven't read it, duh! :P Smaug is a fantastic dragon, and the scenes with him and Bilbo rock. It's quite a short book, you should give it a go.

sai blaine
12-12-2007, 01:57 AM
no....<_<

How would you know if you haven't read it, duh! :P Smaug is a fantastic dragon, and the scenes with him and Bilbo rock. It's quite a short book, you should give it a go.

<_< i'm not to keen on the whole LotR and hobit universe but....i'll try it :beat:

OchrisO
12-12-2007, 01:59 AM
Just open the book to right after the tea party and start reading. :)

Jean
12-12-2007, 02:02 AM
no....<_<

The Hobbit is good, silly. A lot better than the rest of the epic, anyway.

Darkthoughts
12-12-2007, 02:15 AM
The meal with the dwarves is cool Chris!!

Yeah, Blaine - The Hobbit is nothing like LotR in the way that it gets straight to the adventure and cuts out all the long winded stuff. Plus, you also get to read about Bilbo meeting Gollum for the first time which is an awesome scene.

sai blaine
12-12-2007, 02:19 AM
*shudder* ewwww tea party...thanks for the warning..*stays away*

The Hobbit is good, silly. A lot better than the rest of the epic, anyway.
I cant help being silly...with out stef and kims guidence im lost about good books...unless they have dragons..

Darkthoughts
12-12-2007, 02:21 AM

Pfft, it's not a tea party! They drink beer :rolleyes:

sai blaine
12-12-2007, 02:24 AM

Pfft, it's not a tea party! They drink beer :rolleyes:
Yeah yeah suuuuure... :rolleyes:

Darkthoughts
12-12-2007, 02:28 AM
Dude, how many dwarves have you seen drinking out of china tea cups?

Look, hold my hand and I'll read it with you :lol:

Jean
12-12-2007, 02:31 AM
the British are always mistrustful when tea parties are mentioned... Sic semper tyrannis and all that...

OchrisO
12-12-2007, 02:34 AM
Three cheers for the Boston Tea Party!

:)

Darkthoughts
12-12-2007, 02:38 AM
:(

I like tea!

sai blaine
12-12-2007, 03:00 AM
Dude, how many dwarves have you seen drinking out of china tea cups?

Look, hold my hand and I'll read it with you :lol:
*holds darks hand* go ahead then...i'll pretent to be busy working...

the British are always mistrustful when tea parties are mentioned... Sic semper tyrannis and all that...
Ahem?! I'm enlgish not british :P

ManOfWesternesse
12-12-2007, 05:28 AM

Can one be English, and not British, David?
One thought one inherently had to be both? The latter being an encapsulation of the English, Welsh, Scottish and "West-Brits" (as we like to call our Northern-Ireland cousins of a certain temperment :lol:)

sai blaine
12-12-2007, 05:54 AM

Can one be English, and not British, David?
One thought one inherently had to be both? The latter being an encapsulation of the English, Welsh, Scottish and "West-Brits" (as we like to call our Northern-Ireland cousins of a certain temperment :lol:)
Yep yep easy :P all my bloodlines are english, no welsh or scottish or west brits in it...sooooooo im not british :D

Hence the St georges flag and not the union jack :evil:

Jean
12-12-2007, 06:11 AM
David... if you are not a whale, you are still a mammal...

sai blaine
12-12-2007, 06:23 AM
David... if you are not a whale, you are still a mammal...
Thats right jean...im not a whale...i got pics posted to prove that rumour wrong :D

http://www.helium.com/tm/372797/understand-confusion-between-british These pages here will expalin :innocent:

NeedfulKings
12-12-2007, 08:02 AM
The Hobbit is the only 'LOTR based' book I've read so far. I really enjoyed it. I plan to get to the other three some day.

jayson
12-12-2007, 08:12 AM
The Hobbit is the only 'LOTR based' book I've read so far. I really enjoyed it. I plan to get to the other three some day.

The other three are a bit more challenging a read, but very very rewarding! I read the Hobbit when I was 11 and I've been hooked on Tolkien ever since.

al'Lan Mandragoran
12-12-2007, 11:25 AM
The Path of Daggers

Patrick
12-12-2007, 01:19 PM
The Path of Daggers

Oh, did Daghain write a travelogue?

MonteGss
12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
:rofl:

Daghain
12-12-2007, 01:36 PM
The Path of Daggers

I didn't tell you? My bad. :rofl:

Wuducynn
12-12-2007, 02:17 PM
The Path of Daggers

Its a little like Carlos Castenada, just more Irish and more drunken.

Daghain
12-12-2007, 09:01 PM
*affects Irish brogue*

Oh, and to be sure, laddie, a LOT more Irish and a LOT more drunken! :D

http://smilies.vidahost.com/ups/DeNiro/irish.gif

Ruthful
12-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Its a little like Carlos Castenada, just more Irish and more drunken.

Stop being redundant.

Frunobulax
12-14-2007, 12:32 AM
I may start Vonnegut's Jailbird in a day or two after finishing this fucking Didion essay. I'm about 7/10 done with Foucault's, and it's still amazing.

Erin
12-14-2007, 12:33 AM
I had to read a lot of Foucault last semester. I really enjoy his work.

Frunobulax
12-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Awesome.

Jean
12-14-2007, 12:48 AM
I'm about 7/10 done with Foucault's, and it's still amazing.
Thank God. I was afraid you were losing interest.

Frunobulax
12-14-2007, 12:54 AM
Nope, just lost time thanks to school and work. My reading schedule will recover over my hiatus and portfolio collection.

Jean
12-14-2007, 12:56 AM
don't forget The Loved One, by Evelyn Waugh. It will take you about 2 hours to read, and they will be 2 hours of perfect bliss. (guaranteed)

Frunobulax
12-14-2007, 01:05 AM
I read it--it's fucking awesome! Matter of fact, it was my first staff recommendation for Barnes & Noble.

Jean
12-14-2007, 01:08 AM
ah! what did I tell you! old bears know things http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_cool.gif

Frunobulax
12-14-2007, 01:09 AM
Jean, you're hands down one of the best bookworms I know. I trust your judgment, fair bear.

Jean
12-14-2007, 01:13 AM
I do so wish you could read Russian!

::bangs head against wall::

there are such books, you wouldn't believe! (no, not Leo Tolstoy)

How comfortable are you with reading in French? There is at least one author I feel you would like - Marcel Ajar (his real name is Romain Gary, but what he wrote as Gary isn't half as good). He wrote only four novels (as Ajar), none very long, but you have to read them in French.

Frunobulax
12-14-2007, 01:15 AM
I wouldn't feel comfortable reading in French or Russian, malheuresement.

Jean
12-14-2007, 01:16 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif

Frunobulax
12-14-2007, 01:34 AM
I know!

alinda
12-14-2007, 06:35 AM
this....

sarah
12-16-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm reading the shining. Last night I had a mix dream with stuff that happens in the book with stuff that happened in the movie. It was kinda weird.

NeedfulKings
12-17-2007, 08:14 AM
We're about to finish Capote's In Cold Blood. It is an amazing account of the real life events. I wonder if anyone else has done what Capote calls a Non-Fiction Novel?

NeedfulKings
12-17-2007, 08:17 AM
I'm reading the shining. Last night I had a mix dream with stuff that happens in the book with stuff that happened in the movie. It was kinda weird.

Well, the story itself would scare the hell out of me in a dream!!! Mixing the movie and book is even worse!!!! :excited: :scared: :evil:

Brice
12-17-2007, 08:25 AM
We're about to finish Capote's In Cold Blood. It is an amazing account of the real life events. I wonder if anyone else has done what Capote calls a Non-Fiction Novel? Hunter Thompson? Tom Wolfe? Possibly some of Kerouac's stuff could be considered within those parameters I think.

al'Lan Mandragoran
12-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Winter's Heart

fernandito
12-17-2007, 01:05 PM
We're about to finish Capote's In Cold Blood. It is an amazing account of the real life events. I wonder if anyone else has done what Capote calls a Non-Fiction Novel? Hunter Thompson?

HELL YES!

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Kingdom of Fear are two of his best.

NeedfulKings
12-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Ooooh, I'm taking notes! :D

Thanks!

Heather19
12-17-2007, 05:30 PM
I finally gave up on The Stand and picked up Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. Maybe I'll try to go back to it when I'm done with this one and see if I can finish it.

ManOfWesternesse
12-18-2007, 04:03 AM
I finally gave up on The Stand .......Maybe I'll try to go back to it when I'm done with this one and see if I can finish it.
What's the problem with The Stand Heather? I've read that thing at least a dozen times - King's best Book outside the DT series.
Is there something in particular about it you have a problem with? What's your favourite King?

Curently re-reading Black House (just finished a re-read of The Talisman).

Matt
12-18-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm actually afraid to start The Stand (again). My family won't see me for a while.

ManOfWesternesse
12-18-2007, 08:11 AM
I'm actually afraid to start The Stand (again). My family won't see me for a while.

Know exactly what you mean Matt.
I can be right there in the room, and they can be talking to me. I may even be answering them - but it's all on autopilot, I don't really have a clue that they are even there, never mind what they're talking about.

But they know what I'm like - so if it's something important they have to get me to stop reading & listen.:lol:

NeedfulKings
12-18-2007, 08:21 AM
I tried and failed on my first attempt at The Stand. I think it was just TOO much stuff and I was such a slow reader. Heather, I don't know what version you were reading, but you could try the shorter version. I think the Uncut version is well worth the time, but you'll "get" the story with the shorter version as well.

sarah
12-18-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm still reading The Shining and I'm still having some mutated book/movie dreaming. I woke up 3 or so times, tossed and turned, and tried to push the images out of my head. I just gotta finish the book so i can tune back into real dreams. lol

BlakeMP
12-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Currently rereading The Great Santa Search, the third book in Jeff Guinn's marvelous "Christmas Chronicles" series.

Heather19
12-18-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm reading the uncut version. I'm enjoying it, but I just feel it's kinda dragging a bit, and it's just not motivating me to continue reading it. I think part of the problem is that it's so long, that I know I've got to invest a lot more time into finishing it since I'm only halfway thru. I was reading it for a couple of months this summer, but when I came back from my vacation I put it down and finally just made myself try to pick it up again because I've got all these other stories that I want to read. I'm also stuck in a rather boring chapter so that doesn't help things either. Maybe I'll go back to it when I finish the book I'm currently reading.
And my favorite King story is by far It.

Daghain
12-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Just finished Carrie and started a reread of Christine.

NeedfulKings
12-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Good job, Heather. Hey, if you can get through IT, The Stand should be a breeze! IT's one of my faves!!!

Just finished: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Reading now: Deadlight by Troy Barnes

Ruthful
12-19-2007, 02:35 AM
We're about to finish Capote's In Cold Blood. It is an amazing account of the real life events. I wonder if anyone else has done what Capote calls a Non-Fiction Novel? Hunter Thompson? Tom Wolfe? Possibly some of Kerouac's stuff could be considered within those parameters I think.

Some of Tom Wolfe's non-fiction books have novelistic qualities-kind of the flip side of a coin where his novels are predicated upon mounds of meticulously collected, journalistic data and investigative studies-but I don't think it's the same thing.

Norman Mailer is more in the Truman Capote vein, i.e non-fiction novels. Kerouac is another interesting writer who kind of blends both worlds in a seamless way.

I put down The Bell Jar a couple of weeks ago before I really began my reread, and now I'm thinking about reading "Prey," which someone gave me as a gift.

ManOfWesternesse
12-19-2007, 04:17 AM
I'm reading the uncut version. I'm enjoying it, but I just feel it's kinda dragging a bit, and it's just not motivating me to continue reading it. I think part of the problem is that it's so long, that I know I've got to invest a lot more time into finishing it since I'm only halfway thru. I was reading it for a couple of months this summer, but when I came back from my vacation I put it down and finally just made myself try to pick it up again because I've got all these other stories that I want to read. I'm also stuck in a rather boring chapter so that doesn't help things either. Maybe I'll go back to it when I finish the book I'm currently reading.
And my favorite King story is by far It.

OK, thanks for the update. Sometimes it can indeed be very hard to get 'into' a book. I had the 'Sword of Truth' series recommended to me by a few people on here. I read the first book, it was ok(ish) but not great for me. Bought the second and got about 1/4 way thru it. But it was hard work for me & it's sat untouched for a while now. Dunno if I'll get back to it?

I rate 'It' very high too - great book.

OchrisO
12-19-2007, 04:23 AM
I've been listening to A Storm of Swords, because I much prefer A Song of Ice and Fire as audiobooks. I am really enjoying it so far.

sai blaine
12-19-2007, 05:13 AM
:o I WANT THE AUDIO BOOKS!?!?!? :o :o :o

Patrick
12-19-2007, 09:31 AM

Some of Tom Wolfe's non-fiction books have novelistic qualities-kind of the flip side of a coin where his novels are predicated upon mounds of meticulously collected, journalistic data and investigative studies-but I don't think it's the same thing.

Norman Mailer is more in the Truman Capote vein, i.e non-fiction novels. Kerouac is another interesting writer who kind of blends both worlds in a seamless way.
I agree with Ruthful, Bill.

Try Kerouac's ON THE ROAD and Thompson's FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS. Both very different from IN COLD BLOOD, but they're great books.

Now reading a book from one of my childhood idols:
BORN STANDING UP by Steve Martin

Brice
12-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Hmm.... IMO Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test would definitely qualify as a nonfiction novel.

Patrick
12-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Hmm.... IMO Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test would definitely qualify as a nonfiction novel.

:excited: I still need to read that one!

Wuducynn
12-19-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm currently reading Patrick's diary..by the way Patrick? You're one sick motherfucker.

Patrick
12-19-2007, 09:55 AM
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Wuducynn
12-19-2007, 09:55 AM
No, it was a compliment.

Patrick
12-19-2007, 10:17 AM
:couple:

Darkthoughts
12-19-2007, 10:57 AM
I've only read Bonfire of the Vanities by Wolfe. Do you recommend The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test?

NeedfulKings
12-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Hmmmm, lots to ponder on the ole' "nonfiction" novel thing. Thanks guys! And Crimson, if you could be so kind as to pass Patrick's diary to me when you're done, I'd appreciate it! :P

Wuducynn
12-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Hmmmm, lots to ponder on the ole' "nonfiction" novel thing. Thanks guys! And Crimson, if you could be so kind as to pass Patrick's diary to me when you're done, I'd appreciate it! :P

I'd be happy to. Make sure to check out page 10 where he details his little kink involving wearing a pink tu-tu and licking gerbil anuses...

alinda
12-19-2007, 01:32 PM
I am listening to SK read Blood and Smoke on audiobook :cool:

:o I WANT THE AUDIO BOOKS!?!?!? :o :o :o

Ruthful
12-19-2007, 05:14 PM

It really is a great book.

Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters were more interesting in a lot of ways than the Beatniks, and especially the hippies.

You should also check out Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak-catchers. It's a great summary of some of the weirdest political outgrowths of the 1970s ethnic identity movement.

Odetta
12-19-2007, 05:28 PM
almost done The Stand... for about the 5th time

Wuducynn
12-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Only the fifth? :o

Ruthful
12-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Slacker.

Mattrick
12-20-2007, 04:45 PM
I was about 200 pages into the stand when I got a stack of books for school and bought 3 pleasure reading books for myself so The Stand, as I've read it before, can wait.

Read 'City of the Dead' by Brian Keene. I thought it was alright at first but the second hand of awesome. A truly haunting, unforgettable ending.

Currently reading 'The Missing' by Sarah Langhan. Enjoying it immensely a third of the way through.

Heather19
12-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Read 'City of the Dead' by Brian Keene. I thought it was alright at first but the second hand of awesome. A truly haunting, unforgettable ending.

Have you read The Rising by any chance? I picked it up awhile ago and started to read it, but was having a hard time really getting into it so I ended up putting it down and haven't gone back to it yet.

Mattrick
12-20-2007, 05:05 PM

Have you read The Rising by any chance? I picked it up awhile ago and started to read it, but was having a hard time really getting into it so I ended up putting it down and haven't gone back to it yet.

I'm pretty sure City of the Dead is a direct sequel I think. City of the Dead seemed to start in the middle of the action with established characters. I'll get it, eventually, to read it. Sadly I've got eight books piled up to read. Keene is said to be the next Stephen King and while he has talent, it's an overstatement imo. We'll see what he's able to accomplish after half a dozen books.

Odetta
12-20-2007, 05:56 PM
almost done The Stand... for about the 5th time

Only the fifth? :o

Slacker.

steph
12-20-2007, 06:30 PM
I am doing light reading right now for the holidays.
Started Such a Pretty Pretty Girl by Winston Groom today.
I think it will be a quick easy read which is what I was shooting for.

Ruthful
12-21-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm only about a hundred pages into Philip Roth's latest in the Zuckerman canon, Exit Ghost. The unrelenting political tirades are a little hard to digest. Kind of like witnessing someone make a labored bowel movement in the middle of an otherwise enjoyable dinner party. Plus, this is the first Zuckerman book I've read, so the potency of some of the biographical references is lost on me. I just joined Facebook, so getting through this could take a while.

Brice
12-24-2007, 07:02 AM

You defintitely should.

I've only read Bonfire of the Vanities by Wolfe. Do you recommend The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test?

Absolutely! Without hesitation.

Sai_Rhavan
12-24-2007, 12:33 PM
I just finished World War Z, and implore any of you who've read the Zombie Survival Guide to pick this one up as well. The author does an amazing job of blurring the lines of fact and fiction. Only problem is that I'm sleeping with all of the doors in my apartment locked, deadbolted, and with a baseball bat by my futon.

sarajean
12-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Patrick sent me a copy of Blake's book The Beginner. I read that over the weekend and LOVED it. thank you to both patrick and blake for that.

i most certainly am NOT re-reading twilight right now. nope, i am not.

Daghain
12-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Ooh, have you read Other People's Heroes? You'll like that one, too. :D

Ruthful
12-27-2007, 05:21 AM
I just finished World War Z, and implore any of you who've read the Zombie Survival Guide to pick this one up as well. The author does an amazing job of blurring the lines of fact and fiction. Only problem is that I'm sleeping with all of the doors in my apartment locked, deadbolted, and with a baseball bat by my futon.

I read approximately a hundred pages of that before putting it down, but what I've read so far I've really enjoyed-especially the global setting, e.g. the eyewitness account by the Palestinian refugee was hilarious.

I'm probably going to have to finish that sometime in the new year. I'm also going to try and find the Zombie Survival Guide if I can.

Heather19
12-27-2007, 09:07 AM
I just got World War Z the other day. Can't wait to read it.

BlakeMP
12-27-2007, 02:15 PM
You guys are all makin' me blush. :)

Glad you liked it, SJ! (Hope you read this year's Christmas story, too...)

Matt
12-27-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm listening a book called "The Sanctuary", not sure who its by.

Pretty good though, all about Middle Eastern antiques smugglers.

At home I am reading People of the Moon but Cathleen and Micheal Geer

Some serious Indian killing going on in that one. :panic:

Girlystevedave
12-27-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm reading Salem's Lot. My sister got me the illustrated version in hardback for Christmas (it's sooo pretty). This is the first time reading Salem's Lot since I was about 12. It's cool how familiar, yet new, it is so many years later.

Ruthful
12-27-2007, 05:09 PM
I'm reading Salem's Lot. My sister got me the illustrated version in hardback for Christmas (it's sooo pretty). This is the first time reading Salem's Lot since I was about 12. It's cool how familiar, yet new, it is so many years later.

I started reading 'Salem's Lot-the penultimate King novel on my shelf that I haven't finished-around Halloween, and am still about a chapter away from completing it.

sarajean
12-27-2007, 07:32 PM

i just did. and i'm holding back tears. curtis and rachel showing up at maw maw's house just made my day. :D

Wuducynn
12-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Love your Journey avatar Sarajeaniebeanie.

Jon
12-28-2007, 12:52 AM
Blaze by Richard bachman...I heard that Bachman was the gay lover of Stephen King but they broke up when King installed the toilet paper roll backward.

alinda
12-28-2007, 05:10 AM
My friend gave me this for Christmas...I've started to read it.
but wont get far till after the weekend, and out of the hospital.

Ruthful
12-28-2007, 08:41 AM
http://armandfrasco.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/eal.jpg

http://digilib.bu.edu/sth/sthlibrary/images/stories/51xpuJP1ZYL._AA240_.jpg

Rjeso
12-28-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm reading...
+ the first installment of the Absolute Sandman
+ I'm going to start Fragile Things when I get home
+ I'm rereading Lord of the Rings
+ I'm rereading Pillar of Fire by Judith Tarr

I think LotR and PoF are going to go by the wayside for a bit - I've got new Gaiman! :D

To The Dark Tower Came
12-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Trying to finish DT 7 ...Got my book on tape in my ears as I type...the tet's in the cave above Pleasantville listening to some back story...lol!

fernandito
12-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Why, Game of Thrones?! Why won't you let me finish you off?!?!

[choke]

_Sphynx_
12-28-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm reading The Stand for the first time around. I went to the local book shop with my x-mas money and they had a beautiful, illustrated hard cover copy for like 8$. So of course I had to get it.

Matt
12-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Wow Sphynx--I hope you love it.

There is an amazing amount of character development which may seem tedious at first but is totally worth it as the story plays out.

jayson
12-28-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm reading The Stand for the first time around. I went to the local book shop with my x-mas money and they had a beautiful, illustrated hard cover copy for like 8$. So of course I had to get it.

Hope it turns out to be one of the better xmas presents you get yourself.

fernandito
12-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Confession : I've never read The Stand. :unsure:

Patrick
12-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Patrick sent me a copy of Blake's book The Beginner. I read that over the weekend and LOVED it. thank you to both patrick and blake for that. ...

:rock: Yay, it finally arrived (after two tries)!

Blake, I look forward to reading your Christmas story. :dance:

Currently reading: I AM LEGEND by Richard Matheson

Rjeso
12-28-2007, 01:58 PM

Damn right your mood should be "dead" if this is really true! :O

:P

fernandito
12-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Will I at least get a head start from the flying arrows?

Jean
12-28-2007, 03:16 PM
grrrrrrrr

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_angry.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_angry.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_angry.gif

Matt
12-28-2007, 03:24 PM

**stands behind the bear with a stern look**

Jon
12-29-2007, 01:35 AM

Is it the unabridged version? You MUST read both. I suggest the abridged version first.

Jon
12-29-2007, 01:36 AM

THIS CANNOT BE!!

It ain't natural.

Brice
12-29-2007, 04:54 AM

:o :o :o

This makes me want to cry. :cry:

*confiscates all FP's books, movies, video games ,enchiladas, and weed until he reads The Stand* :evil:

Darkthoughts
12-29-2007, 06:15 AM
The enchilada's and weed will do it! :D

I'm reading Rose Madder, for the first time. Quite enjoying it :thumbsup:

alinda
12-29-2007, 06:19 AM
FP, post your address or pm it, and if you need it a copy of The Stand is on the way to you.:thumbsup:

DT: Thats a good read, and mildly DT related.

Darkthoughts
12-29-2007, 06:28 AM
I'm looking out for the DT refs for the Connection page...I got a few refs to other King books so far ;)

fernandito
12-29-2007, 06:30 AM

*confiscates all FP's books, movies, video games ,enchiladas, and weed until he reads The Stand* :evil:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Here, confiscate this better [rips out heart], I won't be needing it any time soon. :evil:

And thank you for the offer Alinda! :wub:

Brice
12-29-2007, 07:12 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Here, confiscate this better [rips out heart], I won't be needing it any time soon. :evil:

And thank you for the offer Alinda! :wub:

I do believe I already confiscated your heart when I confiscated the other stuff.

*sits down with feev's FF games, takes a bite of an enchilada, sparks up a FAT fuckin' joint* :evil:

Jean
12-29-2007, 10:02 AM
I had to put aside The Bear Went Over The Mountain for the time being - I want to read it when there's no trouble around, and as I've already complained, we're going through hard times now. I don't regret it because I know it is waiting for me! I've read about 50 pages and I don't want it to ever end, it's so great, it's just the kind of literature bears love most.

In the meantime, read three Russian books (one new, two rereads).

Mattrick
12-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Finished - The Missing by Sarah Langan.

The characters were strong and her prose was amazing, albiet it has some problems. I enjoyed her ability to describe a character not yet seen by a character and then, when we meet that characer, we see they are nothing as a previous character had envisioned. One of my biggest problems was at times it seemed like she kept repeating herself and, while it did aid a little in the characters insanity, she would describe and action, thought or feeling in a character using the same wording through the course of the book. The ending seemed a little anti-climatic. I enjoy open endings but this one was far too open. Fell a little flat.

All the same, the plot was good, the characters were vibrants and the writing as great.

8/10

Next is Snow Falling on Cedars by David Gutterson.

William50
12-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Right now, I'm reading the Stand. It's the extended edition, so it is well over 1000 pages. Good book so far though.

stone, rose, unfound door
12-30-2007, 04:19 PM

I might be the only one but I still think it's not such a great book so you needn't be that worried not to have read it yet. You'd better read it one day though.

Darkthoughts
12-30-2007, 06:20 PM
I had to put aside The Bear Went Over The Mountain for the time being - I want to read it when there's no trouble around, and as I've already complained, we're going through hard times now. I don't regret it because I know it is waiting for me! I've read about 50 pages and I don't want it to ever end, it's so great, it's just the kind of literature bears love most.
Hoping for your troubles to soon be at an end Bruin, but so glad you're enjoying the book so far ;) :couple:

Mattrick - excellent review :thumbsup:

Daghain
12-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Finished - The Missing by Sarah Langan.

Next is Snow Falling on Cedars by David Gutterson.

An EXCELLENT book, IMHO. :D

Jean
12-31-2007, 01:43 AM
Darkthoughts: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Little Gem: I am really interested in details on why you didn't like The Stand; maybe you could give them in The Stand thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=84604)?

ManOfWesternesse
12-31-2007, 04:03 AM
Finished re-reads of The Talisman and Black House.
Then a quick (but great as ever) re-read of The Long Walk.
Now re-reading Magician - Raymond E.Feist.

sarah
12-31-2007, 08:41 AM
I'm starting Into the Wild today. :D It has been on my list of reads for ages. I'm so excited.

jayson
12-31-2007, 08:47 AM
Started "The Act You've Known For All These Years" by Clinton Heylin this weekend. It is about the recording of the album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," and its impact on the recording industry, specifically ushering in the era of the "album" as opposed to the "single" as previously was the standard. There is a lot of contextual information as to the other major players in the popular music scene at the time on both sides of the Atlantic and the effects each had on the other [of particular interest to me is the effect Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd had on the Beatles as they recorded "Piper At the Gates of Dawn" across the hall from the Beatles who were recording Pepper. The author, Clinton Heylin, is among the most thorough of music historians. I have already read and enjoyed his book "Behind the Shades" which is a VERY lengthy bio of Dylan, as well one of my fav books "From the Velvets to the Voidoids" which is the definitive book on American punk music.

obscurejude
01-01-2008, 12:20 AM
I am trying to read DT 5-7 (for the third time) during my break between semesters (grad-student). I was reading "Needful Things" but lost interest towards the end of the semester. I just got finished writing a few papers about Aristotelian epistemology in Mathew Arnold's poetic theory. Interestingly there were some correlatives with Browning as well (being the contemplative Victorian he was). Yep, a lot of Aristotle. Although I love him, its nice to have a break and get lost in King for a couple of weeks.

Erin
01-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Hey i'm a grad student as well. Sucks doesn't it? :lol:

OchrisO
01-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Since classes let out, I have mostly been listening to audiobooks. I finished A Storm of Swords, The Hedge Knight, and A Sworn Sword by George R R Martin, Heaven, Hell and Earth by Mu Lafferty, what is out of Playing for Keeps, also by Mur Lafferty and now I am listening to Shadow Falls from podiobooks.com.

Print-wise, a friend bought me Confessor by Terry Goodkind for Christmas, but I haven't had much time to read it.

Darkthoughts
01-01-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm rereading Insomnia...I'll probably reread The Shining after that, I'm on a real King kick ;)

Brice
01-01-2008, 06:52 PM
I always am. :D

NeedfulKings
01-01-2008, 07:06 PM
We (the wife and I) just started the first Harry Potter book. We plan to read the series over the course of the year. It's our first time!!! :)

Brice
01-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Y'all are in for a treat. It's a great series.

Erin
01-01-2008, 09:09 PM
That's so cool, NeedfulKings!

I just read the whole series for the first time starting this past summer. It was quite an experience and now I'm a die-hard fan for life.

sarah
01-02-2008, 08:06 AM
We (the wife and I) just started the first Harry Potter book. We plan to read the series over the course of the year. It's our first time!!! :)

:clap:

have you seen any of the movies are is this all fresh for you? Will you keep us updated in the Harry Potter Thread? I'm thinking I need a Harry Potter reread. It has been months since I've had harry potter in my head. :lol:

fernandito
01-02-2008, 09:31 AM
I have yet to succumb to the exponentially powerful Harry Potter craze. :)

NeedfulKings
01-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks everyone. I know it will be a fun read. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes. I'll stumble into the HP thread from time to time, but skip over any spoilers until we're done. I've seen the first movie, but don't recall it at all, so the adventure will be fresh! :)

I'm about 50 pages in. :D

James_Deschain
01-02-2008, 09:45 AM
I just recently started reading the Dark Tower series in mid-November, and I'm currenly reading book IV ^_^ I LOVE it ^_^

Matt
01-02-2008, 09:53 AM
WOOHOO!! Good for you James.

Watch out for spoilers but check The Baronies for forums on each of the books. There you can discuss right up to where you are without worrying about accidentally seeing the ending.

Thanks for jumping right in and posting

Jean
01-02-2008, 10:35 AM
I have yet to succumb to the exponentially powerful Harry Potter craze. :)
high time! every moment you spend not having read HP is wasted!

jayson
01-02-2008, 10:40 AM

beautiful, then i have wasted all of my life since the first publishing date. i kinda like the idea.:dance:

Brice
01-02-2008, 10:44 AM
I have yet to succumb to the exponentially powerful Harry Potter craze. :) <_<

beautiful, then i have wasted all of my life since the first publishing date. i kinda like the idea.:dance:
<_<

jayson
01-02-2008, 10:49 AM

<_<

if it makes you frown Brice, I will continue not reading it.:nana:

Brice
01-02-2008, 10:51 AM

<_<

if it makes you frown Brice, I will continue not reading it.:nana:

Gee...thanks alot man.

:angry:

Jean
01-02-2008, 10:58 AM
but why?! why would anybody willing to deprive himself of such pleasure? do we have many in this valley of tears??? http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif

Erin
01-02-2008, 11:01 AM
I didn't know you were a Harry Potter fan, Jean. :thumbsup:

I can now add another mark on the "Why Jean is Awesome" List. :nana:

fernandito
01-02-2008, 11:02 AM
First The Stand, and now HP? I'm just pissing people off left and right, aren't I? :lol:

jayson
01-02-2008, 11:03 AM
prob the same reason some don't seem to like the Lord of the Rings stuff, it just isn't for me. i'm [obviously] not opposed to fantasy writing, and i did attempt to start the HP stuff, it just wasn't my style. i suppose when my child starts reading i may take an interest in it if they should, but otherwise it didn't seem like my cup of wizardry. i do appreciate the HP books bc they seem to have made it "cool" for kids to read again, and that is something i will always support.

Darkthoughts
01-02-2008, 11:15 AM
I think you'd appreciate the later books more RofG. I enjoyed all of them, but they got darker and really picked up the pace more from Prisoner of Azkaban onwards :thumbsup:

al'Lan Mandragoran
01-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Crossroads of Twilight

Darkthoughts
01-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Happy New Year Al'an - haven't seen you around in a while :couple:

Finished Rose Madder - it was great!! Now rereading Insomnia, which was linked to Rose Madder by mention of Susan Day ;)

Brice
01-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Hey hey Susan Day! How many babies did you kill today?

Jean
01-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Erin: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif

R_of_G: I don't like Fantasy as genre at all, but I love good literature, and that's what HP certainly is - as Lisa said, whereas the first two volumes might be for kids, since the third it's great for all ages (Azkaban got me really hooked, and I know I'm not alone)

Darkthoughts
01-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Indeed, PoA was my favourite...until I read Half Blood Prince (and now I think Deathly Hallows tops them both).

Jean
01-02-2008, 12:16 PM
mine are PoA and Order of Phoenix. Then Half-Blood, then Goblet of Fire, and only then DH... wait, we can talk about that in HP thread! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Darkthoughts
01-02-2008, 12:17 PM
:lol: I love the way you compartmentalise Jean :couple:

Jean
01-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I compr... compt... compart... what?

::remembers he shouldn't ask, for fear it would be another previously-unknown horror::

::knows that Lisa won't tell him anything nasty! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif::

::looks at the word and analyses it. Guesses the meaning::

::with a flourish::

Yes, I can compartmentalise with the best!

Darkthoughts
01-02-2008, 12:23 PM
I might have made it up...but you got the gist :D

Brice
01-02-2008, 12:27 PM
I might have made it up...but you got the gist :D

Nope, it's a real word. :D It means to seperate into distinct parts.

Brice
01-02-2008, 12:29 PM
I compr... compt... compart... what?

::remembers he shouldn't ask, for fear it would be another previously-unknown horror::

::knows that Lisa won't tell him anything nasty! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif::

::looks at the word and analyses it. Guesses the meaning::

::with a flourish::

Yes, I can compartmentalise with the best!

Jean, it is not often anyone gets to tell you this, so

You are off topic. Could you please return to the subject? :P

Darkthoughts
01-02-2008, 12:30 PM

That's what it meant in my mind, I'm just a bit drunk and it looked odd when I wrote it :D

Brice
01-02-2008, 12:33 PM

That's what it meant in my mind, I'm just a bit drunk and it looked odd when I wrote it :D

See alcohol is good for you. It's helping you expand your vocabulary. :D

Darkthoughts
01-02-2008, 12:36 PM
It usually has the reverse effect. I can learn two things here - red wine makes me eloquent and, I should only converse via the internet when drunk :D

Jean
01-02-2008, 12:37 PM
::reads three posts right above::

and those people... those people tell me to keep to the topic!

::faints::

Darkthoughts
01-02-2008, 12:38 PM

jayson
01-02-2008, 12:40 PM
techincally speaking Jean was on topic. He was "currently reading" Lisa's post and trying to figure out what the word meant. So there!

Brice
01-02-2008, 12:41 PM
::reads three posts right above::

and those people... those people tell me to keep to the topic!

::faints::

:P :P :P

Okj, I'm done! :D

So, whatcha' reading?

Fall of Gilead
01-02-2008, 01:06 PM
In an attempt to reduce the large amount of "to read" books in the bookcase I started reading Comes the Blind Fury by John Saul.

jayson
01-02-2008, 01:10 PM
The only Saul I have ever read is "Guardian." Can't remember if I liked it or not, but I haven't read any others of his works so it probably didn't set my hair on fire. I may have to read some more and remind myself what it was like.

Daghain
01-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Oh, I used to LOVE John Saul until I started to realized every book was almost the same....hmmm. :lol:

But Comes the Blind Fury was a good one. :D

Matt
01-02-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm a grandpa now so I have to compartmentalize my meds. :lol:

(sorry, I had to use it in a sentence)

Darkthoughts
01-02-2008, 03:34 PM

Heather19
01-02-2008, 03:40 PM
First The Stand, and now HP? I'm just pissing people off left and right, aren't I? :lol:

Don't worry, you're not alone. I started to read the Stand but then put it down. I'll get around to finishing it someday. And Harry Potter I have absolutly no desire to even pick up.

Jean
01-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Oh, I used to LOVE John Saul until I started to realized every book was almost the same....hmmm. :lol:

But Comes the Blind Fury was a good one. :D

I love Saul! I don't think he really is a good writer, but he sure helps me relax - exactly because his books are the same. I just take any from my shelf (I have a lot of his books - another good quality of his is that he can always be bought at used books stores), and read, and fall asleep, and it's sweet. He is predictable, but entertaining anyway.

among others, I read Comes the Blind Fury maybe four or five times... it takes only a couple of hours, and is just what I need between coming from work (it's rather late at night) and falling asleep

werebat, it's great to see you again, please post more and more and more!

Daghain
01-02-2008, 05:30 PM
I totally agree with you, Jean. Saul is an easy, relaxing read. I think I started reading him not long after I started reading King, and King won. Maybe I'll have to pick up a couple of Saul's books at the used bookstore next time I'm there.
:D

Ruthful
01-02-2008, 07:41 PM
http://www.ibsen.net/image/298/1/298_1.jpeg

Fall of Gilead
01-02-2008, 09:44 PM
werebat, it's great to see you again, please post more and more and more!

Hi Jean! Great to see you again too! :thumbsup:

On the Saul front, I agree that his books are all pretty much the same. I got a whole bunch of the early ones at the local used book store and they're all pretty much "100-years-ago-something-awful-happened-in-your-typical-small-town-and-now-there's-gonna-be-revenge" type stuff. I did try to read Cry for the Strangers previous to this but got bored. Blind Fury is keeping my interest thus far.

Daghain
01-02-2008, 09:55 PM
I have a vague memory of Cry for the Strangers - was that the one about the genetic engineering of kids? Or am I totally off?

But yeah, Saul totally has a formula. But the guy is laughing all the way to the bank, so I can't say he's wrong. :lol:

ETA: Oh wait, was that the teenage girl one? Damn, I've read too much Saul too long ago. Not too sure if the reread would be worth it, but I do like a "turn off your brain and be entertained" book now and then. Hmm. :orely:

Fall of Gilead
01-02-2008, 11:01 PM
I have a vague memory of Cry for the Strangers - was that the one about the genetic engineering of kids? Or am I totally off?

I think that's The God Project.

But yeah, Saul totally has a formula. But the guy is laughing all the way to the bank, so I can't say he's wrong. :lol:

I guess a string of bestsellers can't be wrong!

ETA: Oh wait, was that the teenage girl one? Damn, I've read too much Saul too long ago. Not too sure if the reread would be worth it, but I do like a "turn off your brain and be entertained" book now and then. Hmm. :orely:

From what I remember of Cry, something awful happened in a typical small town 100 years ago, and now some unsuspecting people have moved into town just in time for the revenge ploy... which oddly enough is how Blind Fury is turning out.

Patrick
01-02-2008, 11:16 PM
... I love good literature, and that's what HP certainly is - as Lisa said, whereas the first two volumes might be for kids, since the third it's great for all ages (Azkaban got me really hooked, and I know I'm not alone)
That must be my problem. Long ago I read the first two volumes and then never picked up another HP book because they did not hold my interest. Based on all the avid fandom around here, and the glowing reviews that SK has written about the series, I'll try them again sometime.

Concurrently Reading:

1) DHARMA BUMS, by Jack Kerouac

2) THE PLANT, by Stephen King

3) THE SANDMAN, VOL. V - A GAME OF YOU, by Neil Gaiman

Daghain
01-02-2008, 11:26 PM

I think that's The God Project.

*slaps head* Oh, yeah, I think that was my first Saul.

Hey, it was 20-something years ago, sue me - I can't remember what I had for breakfast. :lol: