PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Dan
01-10-2016, 04:43 PM
Listening to The Silent Hour by Michael Koryta

That's part of the Lincoln Perry series, right? I've read all but one of Koryta's stand-alone books, but haven't read any of the LP series.

Yes, it's the 4th, and apparently last, of the Perry series. It's read by Scott Brick who reads almost every Clive Cussler book. He is a good narrator, but had a very distinct style that is great for thrillers, in my opinion.

Ricky
01-11-2016, 12:52 PM
Have you read Last Words? It looks like that's starting a new series.

Dan
01-11-2016, 01:54 PM
Have you read Last Words? It looks like that's starting a new series.

Yes, I liked it.

FennyBate
01-15-2016, 04:00 AM
Finished 'The Pet', by Charles L. Grant, earlier this week - first novel length book I've read by Grant, and it was excellent. Will definitely be reading more of his novels.
Randomly picked a few stories from 'Skeleton Crew', while deciding which novel to read next. They were all excellent - 'Mrs Todd's Shortcut', 'Survivor Type', 'The Raft' and 'The Reapers Image', which was the weakest of a strong bunch.
Going to start 'The Totem', by David Morrell, tonight.
Lincoln.

WeDealInLead
01-16-2016, 06:25 PM
That's good to hear. I haven't read that one yet. Say, do you post on horrordrive-in.com too?

Reading: Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke, It by you-know-who, Nightflyers by GRRM (the collection, not just the novella).

FennyBate
01-16-2016, 07:52 PM
That's good to hear. I haven't read that one yet. Say, do you post on horrordrive-in.com too?

Reading: Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke, It by you-know-who, Nightflyers by GRRM (the collection, not just the novella).

Yes mate, I do. Great forum.
I'm picking up a 'reading copy' of 'It', today - very keen to re-read, after 30 odd years.

Dan
01-18-2016, 08:56 AM
Trying to read Song of Time by Ian MacLeod. I'm two thirds through and still can't get into it. Too many big words and references to composers I've never heard of. Has anyone read this? Is it worth finishing?

jsmcmullen92
01-19-2016, 06:49 AM
Trying to start up Wolves of the Calla again.

webstar1000
01-19-2016, 06:51 AM

"trying"? You didnt like it the first time? I loved it.. LOVED the mystery of the wolves.

jsmcmullen92
01-19-2016, 07:00 AM

"trying"? You didnt like it the first time? I loved it.. LOVED the mystery of the wolves.

Well I did DT 1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5 all in direct order no break. I picked up five but just couldn't get into it at first I think I just overloaded myself with DT. So I read the prologue, set it down and read some other authors so that it would refresh my mind. After Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion (SO. DAMN. DENSE. but very good) I am flying through Wolves. I have a feeling I'll finish it by end of week and pick up Song of Susannah. It's killing me to know what happens in the end but I have to get though all the small adventures before I can complete the journey.

webstar1000
01-19-2016, 07:01 AM

Well I did DT 1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5 all in direct order no break. I picked up five but just couldn't get into it at first I think I just overloaded myself with DT. So I read the prologue, set it down and read some other authors so that it would refresh my mind. After Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion (SO. DAMN. DENSE. but very good) I am flying through Wolves. I have a feeling I'll finish it by end of week and pick up Song of Susannah. It's killing me to know what happens in the end but I have to get though all the small adventures before I can complete the journey.
That makes more sense. I thought it was a great read... loved it!

frik
01-19-2016, 09:18 AM
https://kitleyskrypt.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/fantastic-films-of-the-decades-vol-2.jpg

sk

WeDealInLead
01-19-2016, 09:30 AM
I'm reading the complete Lovecraft edition from Knickerbocker. 35 pages down, almost 1100 to go. The font is super tiny and I'll be lucky to finish the book by the end of the year.

goheat
01-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Finished Expiration Date by Tim Powers (wow!), and started in on The Hurricane by Hugh Howey...

Dan
01-19-2016, 01:44 PM
Rereading Hyperion. I gave up on Song of Time.

Fp3csu
01-20-2016, 03:02 PM
Just started Hyperion for the first time.

Patrick
01-21-2016, 01:39 PM
Rereading HP&tSS.

fernandito
01-21-2016, 02:27 PM
http://files.ebook.bike/cover/163984.png

jsmcmullen92
01-21-2016, 04:26 PM
http://files.ebook.bike/cover/163984.png
Just finished that one. Let me know what you think

WeDealInLead
01-23-2016, 08:18 AM
Eric Brown - Starship Seasons (four novellas first published independently. SS collects all of them)
Stephen King - The Shining. My third read, this time on audio.

Girlystevedave
01-26-2016, 11:04 AM
I finally decided to give The Stand another try. I'm about halfway through and enjoying it more than my last attempt.

Tommy
01-26-2016, 12:10 PM
About to finish The Maze Runner and will be starting Taltos by Anne Rice next. She's one sick puppy, I love her!

webstar1000
01-26-2016, 12:12 PM
The Twelve:) Hope it is as good as the Passage!!!

zelig
01-26-2016, 12:18 PM
Almost finished Needful Things.

Tommy
01-26-2016, 12:25 PM

I was disappointed but maybe I'm in the minority.

Stebbins
01-26-2016, 12:32 PM
THE AX by Donald E. Westlake and HOW TO MAKE MILLIONS WITH YOUR IDEAS by Dan S. Kennedy. Both are solid selections I'm enjoying very much.

Ricky
01-26-2016, 01:15 PM

I was disappointed but maybe I'm in the minority.

I enjoyed The Passage much more than The Twelve. I didn't think the flashbacks this time around were necessary. Plus, the big climax at the end was something I thought would've been saved for the last book.

FennyBate
01-26-2016, 05:31 PM
Finished 'The Totem', by David Morell, and thought it was very, very good. Action packed, which contrasted with the Charles Grant I've been reading lately. Personally, I prefer the slow build of Grant, but still enjoyed the fast pace.
Went away for a few days, so took King's 'It' with me. 200 pages in, and I'm completely absorbed. I remember parts of it, but not much. Really loving the little details, about the characters and Derry.

Jean
01-27-2016, 02:36 AM
I finally decided to give The Stand another try. I'm about halfway through and enjoying it more than my last attempt.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I so hope you'll eventually love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Girlystevedave
01-27-2016, 05:46 AM
I finally decided to give The Stand another try. I'm about halfway through and enjoying it more than my last attempt.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I so hope you'll eventually love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope so too!

To be honest, I'm still a bit worried that seeing parts of the movie years back and reading The Dark Tower before The Stand may have ruined any chances of me falling head over heels for it. But, we shall see! :)

Heather19
01-27-2016, 06:57 AM
I had that problem when I started to read The Stand years ago. All I could remember were the actors cast in the movie, it was driving me crazy. I really should go back and try to read it sometime soon.

wolfehr
01-27-2016, 10:42 AM
Finished October Country this morning and decided Black House is up next; I've been putting it off too long and am excited to be reunited with Jack Sawyer :)

Jean
01-28-2016, 02:44 AM
I hope so too!

I really should go back and try to read it sometime soon.
I can't believe that in all those years - or we'll soon have to say "decades"! - I failed to infect my two beloved ladies with love of my favorite book http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif.html)

Heather19
01-28-2016, 05:40 AM
I know, I started to read it years ago, geez probably like 10 years ago... I don't know why I put it down because I was enjoying it. And I think every year I say I need to go back and read it. Hopefully this will be the year I do. Maybe I'll try again after I finish the book I'm on.

Almost done listening to Game of Thrones, and then I'm going to have to wait a few weeks before the second book becomes available to me from the library. Hopefully it won't be too long of a wait. Also started reading Sand by Hugh Howey. Enjoying it so far.

goheat
01-29-2016, 07:16 AM
Finished The Hurricane by Hugh Howey: nice, and different from his other stuff. Now about halfway through Fires of Eden by Dan Simmons. Another winner IMHO!

Stebbins
01-29-2016, 06:32 PM
Mike Caro's CARO'S FUNDAMENTAL SECRETS OF WINNING POKER.

kaufen
02-03-2016, 03:07 AM
I have about a dozen books that I am reading. Currently though, I am actively reading The Rule of Four. I go through phases where I want to read all on one subject, get bored and work on another. Hence the dozen or so books. They range from the way the mind works, to the civil war, to scientists, to cryptography, to Uncle Remus, to classical literature.

I just finished about another dozen books from my American Lit since 1865 class. Unfortunately, I had to read them so quickly, about one every weekend, that I didn’t get to enjoy them as much as if I read them on my own time.

Stebbins
02-03-2016, 04:44 AM
THE RED RIGHT HAND by Joel Townsley Rogers.

zelig
02-03-2016, 06:23 AM
NOS4A2. Almost done and have been loving it.

Patrick
02-03-2016, 08:54 AM
Excellent!

Currently reading, ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE, by Anthony Doerr

Tommy
02-03-2016, 10:34 AM
Excellent!

I'm reading All the Light We Cannot See as well! The request came through at my library and had to drop what I was reading to take this one up. Liking it a lot so far...

jsmcmullen92
02-03-2016, 01:09 PM
Just started Horns by Hill last night. I am loving it so far.

Patrick
02-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Excellent!

I'm reading All the Light We Cannot See as well! The request came through at my library and had to drop what I was reading to take this one up. Liking it a lot so far...
Cool. I'm enjoying it as well. Somehow in my mind I had mixed this title up with books like THE FAULT IN OUR STARS and ME, EARL, AND THE DYING GIRL. Those may be perfectly fine books, but I have no desire to read them. Finally I was set straight and began ALL THE LIGHT immediately.

WeDealInLead
02-04-2016, 08:54 AM
Gene Wolfe - Peace

webstar1000
02-04-2016, 08:55 AM
I am so pumped for City of Mirrors... when do you good folks think it will hit shelves?

Girlystevedave
02-04-2016, 11:00 AM
Just started Horns by Hill last night. I am loving it so far.

Oh man- Horns is awesome! :thumbsup:

Dan
02-04-2016, 12:17 PM
I am so pumped for City of Mirrors... when do you good folks think it will hit shelves?

It's set for release at the end of May 2016 in US. A few weeks later in the UK. Not sure how it works in Canada.

webstar1000
02-04-2016, 12:18 PM

It's set for release at the end of May 2016 in US. A few weeks later in the UK. Not sure how it works in Canada.

We are same as you for books and film:)

FennyBate
02-07-2016, 02:45 AM
Approaching the halfway point of 'It', and absolutely loving it. I'm particularly enjoying the 'Derry Interludes', and it was cool to see Dick Hallorann, of 'The Shining' get a mention.

Dan
02-07-2016, 04:14 PM
Just finished my re-read of Hyperion. Man, it is as good as I remember. Going to start The Fall of Hyperion tomorrow morning while my wife is having surgery.

Stebbins
02-09-2016, 05:42 AM
THE STREET LAWYER. It's my first Grisham novel; while it's certainly a page-turner, I'm not a fan of him shoving his political views into the book every chance he gets.

webstar1000
02-09-2016, 05:46 AM
Just finished my re-read of Hyperion. Man, it is as good as I remember. Going to start The Fall of Hyperion tomorrow morning while my wife is having surgery.

I am really considering these books next... have you read them all? Are they really a good page turner?

jsmcmullen92
02-09-2016, 06:01 AM

I am really considering these books next... have you read them all? Are they really a good page turner?

I finished Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion not too long ago. I really enjoyed them but they were a little difficult for me since they were pretty dense with lots happening at the same time. I only get to read on the way to and from work so keeping up with everything way hard.

Dan
02-09-2016, 06:29 AM

I first read these about three years ago and I remember thinking that it's Simmons best work. While re-reading I am catching many things I either missed or didn't quite understand the first time. You clearly have to concentrate on this book to grasp everything, but I think it is worth it. I believe I will do the same this time as I did before and read the first two then take a break and come back for the final two. It's worth obtaining the rest and finishing.

biomieg
02-09-2016, 07:41 AM
Currently reading Bird Box by Josh Malerman. Interesting premise and quite good so far!

Ben Staad
02-09-2016, 07:47 AM
I enjoyed that one! I hope you like it.

Currently reading Bird Box by Josh Malerman. Interesting premise and quite good so far!

fernandito
02-09-2016, 08:02 AM

I first read these about three years ago and I remember thinking that it's Simmons best work. While re-reading I am catching many things I either missed or didn't quite understand the first time. You clearly have to concentrate on this book to grasp everything, but I think it is worth it. I believe I will do the same this time as I did before and read the first two then take a break and come back for the final two. It's worth obtaining the rest and finishing.

Have you read Endymion and Rise of Endymion?

Girlystevedave
02-09-2016, 08:43 AM
I am almost finished with The Stand.
I swear, it's taking forever to finish this book. <_<

Sorry, Jean.

Ricky
02-09-2016, 08:52 AM

In your defense, it's over 1200 pages. :lol:

Dan
02-09-2016, 08:54 AM

Have you read Endymion and Rise of Endymion?

Yes, and I loved them also. They are also novels that you take your time and really enjoy to fully understand.

Girlystevedave
02-09-2016, 08:58 AM

In your defense, it's over 1200 pages. :lol:

I'm just reading the regular version which is exactly 819 pages (trust me, I know because I've flipped to the end of the book multiple times to remember how many pages I have left to endure. :lol: ). Last time I tried to read it, I did pick up the uncut version which was way too thick for me to dive into. I figure this time I'd have better luck with the original version.
WRONG

Ricky
02-09-2016, 09:16 AM
I'm just reading the regular version which is exactly 819 pages (trust me, I know because I've flipped to the end of the book multiple times to remember how many pages I have left to endure. :lol: ).

I know how you feel! Not with The Stand, but definitely other books.

Last time I tried to read it, I did pick up the uncut version which was way too thick for me to dive into. I figure this time I'd have better luck with the original version.

WRONG

:rofl:

Girlystevedave
02-09-2016, 09:18 AM
I'm just reading the regular version which is exactly 819 pages (trust me, I know because I've flipped to the end of the book multiple times to remember how many pages I have left to endure. :lol: ).

Last time I tried to read it, I did pick up the uncut version which was way too thick for me to dive into. I figure this time I'd have better luck with the original version.

WRONG

And I really really wanted to love it.

Heather19
02-09-2016, 11:42 AM

WRONG

And I really really wanted to love it.

Are you still thinking of the movie, or is it just lacking that certain something to really draw you in?

Girlystevedave
02-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Are you still thinking of the movie, or is it just lacking that certain something to really draw you in?

Honestly, I think it's both.

goheat
02-09-2016, 12:32 PM
Completed Fires of Eden by Dan Simmons (wild and very entertaining). Really loving Dan Simmons' books! Started in on Earthquake Weather by Tim Powers (to finish up the Fault Lines trilogy...)

Stebbins
02-10-2016, 09:51 AM
THE POWER OF HABIT by Charles Duhigg. I'm really digging it.

wolfehr
02-10-2016, 09:54 AM
THE POWER OF HABIT by Charles Duhigg. I'm really digging it.

That's one of my favorite non-fiction books. Glad you're enjoying it!

WeDealInLead
02-10-2016, 12:19 PM
Tim Powers - Medusa's Web
Gene Wolfe - Peace. This one's a slow burn.

Jean
02-11-2016, 01:08 AM
Amanda.

Don't talk to me.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_angry.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_angry.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_angry.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_angry.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_angry.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_angry.gif.html)

Girlystevedave
02-11-2016, 05:48 AM
I'm sorry! I wanted to love it. I really did. :unsure:

Girlystevedave
02-11-2016, 05:50 AM
Currently reading Gareth Powell's Silversands.

So, sorta funny story about the book; I searched everywhere for this book- in stores, online, in digital format. I couldn't find it anywhere and finally found a copy on Ebay for a tiny bit more than I'd usually pay for a book, but I said "Oh well, I love the author anyway. I'm gonna go for it."
Well, turns out I had a hard time finding the book because there were only 300 copies printed, with the first 100 being numbered and signed. I accidentally ended up with a numbered/signed book.
:cyclops:

DoctorDodge
02-11-2016, 07:38 AM
I'd be more saddened by you not liking The Stand Amanda (I really do love that book), but hey, you love easily one of my favourite British science-fiction books, so it's not so bad. :)

fernandito
02-11-2016, 08:43 AM
Amanda just killed my enthusiasm for picking up The Stand.

Thanks a lot.

:nope:

Girlystevedave
02-11-2016, 09:10 AM
I'd be more saddened by you not liking The Stand Amanda (I really do love that book), but hey, you love easily one of my favourite British science-fiction books, so it's not so bad. :)

That's redemption, right? :lol:
But I really did want to enjoy it. I think that had I not read The Dark Tower before the Stand, I could have liked it more.

Compared to the Flagg that we see in Dark Tower or even Eyes of the Dragon, the Flagg in The Stand seemed like a mediocre villain at best. Also, when you go into reading The Stand already knowing the fate of Flagg from The Dark Tower, it kind of spoils the ending for you, you know?

Amanda just killed my enthusiasm for picking up The Stand.

Thanks a lot.

:nope:

I'm sorry. Hey, give it a shot anyway. So many other people love it, maybe you will too.

Stockerlone
02-11-2016, 10:21 AM
Finished today the new book TAG 78 from Vincent Voss
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT35391.JPG

jhanic
02-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Amanda, The Stand has to be one of my mostest favorites of King's books. I literally read two paperback copies to pieces before I finally got an inexpensive hardcover. Sorry you don't like it.

John

Heather19
02-11-2016, 05:23 PM

Honestly, I think it's both.

That's my fear as well. My goal is to attempt to finish reading it by the end of the year.

Dan
02-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Really digging Replay audiobook.

kaufen
02-12-2016, 03:58 AM
I´m currently reading "The Hero of Ages" which is the third book of the "Mistborn" trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

Stebbins
02-12-2016, 05:29 AM
THE BLACKBIRD by Donald Westlake. After this, I'll have read all of the books he wrote under the Richard Stark pseudonym. I really cannot recommend them highly enough, or adequately express how grateful I am to SK for leading me to them via THE DARK HALF. (For those of you who don't know, the Richard in King's Richard Bachman pen name comes from Richard Stark.)

jsmcmullen92
02-12-2016, 05:58 AM
Just started Song of Susannah. I am worried I will not care for it.

WeDealInLead
02-13-2016, 04:36 PM
Just started Song of Susannah. I am worried I will not care for it.

The weakest in the series for sure.

Finished Medusa's Web by Tim Powers. Managed to read all 360 pages of it in two days. Though it's not quite as impressive/perfect as The Anubis Gates, The Last Call and The Stress..., it's still a great story. If I were a bathroom reader (gross!), I'd have taken the book with me. Very engrossing and for a Powers book, it's pretty straight forward.

I've started This Census-Taker by China Mieville. 75 pages in and I'm not quite sure where the story is heading. That's not to say there isn't a story; compared to some of the writing exercises in Three Moments, this is all story. Curious to see what happens next.

FennyBate
02-13-2016, 05:24 PM
Still powering through 'It'. Don't have a lot of consistent reading time at the moment, but I'm managing to read big chunks, a few times a week. Funny to come across Stringer Dedham, from Straub's 'Ghost Story'. I love little cross overs like that.

Lookwhoitis
02-13-2016, 08:21 PM
I love the Stand. Or more correctly, loved the shit out of it when I read it as a teenager.

I have yet to read the un-cut version. I have a copy but it is buried in a box somewhere and Ive not been able to find it.

I really need to re-read The Stand!

zelig
02-13-2016, 08:27 PM
I'm planning on re-reading IT and The Stand this year. Keep getting distracted with other books. Currently I'm reading Summer of Night after the recent discussion about it and the upcoming Anniversary edition.

Dan
02-14-2016, 09:52 AM
Whoever suggested Replay, thanks! I just finished this morning (audiobook). It was fantastic. I was worried it would be redundant early on, but no worry of that. Are his other books good?

jhanic
02-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Whoever suggested Replay, thanks! I just finished this morning (audiobook). It was fantastic. I was worried it would be redundant early on, but no worry of that. Are his other books good?

I've read only one other of his books and was a bit disappointed. (I can't remember the title, though.) I also was blown away by Replay.

John

zelig
02-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Yup, Replay is a gem. Loved it. One of my all-time favorite books. I should thank Roy at badmoonbooks for recommending it to me.

biomieg
02-14-2016, 12:01 PM
I look forward to reading it. My copy should arrive any day now.

Patrick
02-15-2016, 11:18 PM
Currently reading, READY PLAYER ONE, by Ernest Cline. This story is awesome.

Tommy
02-16-2016, 03:17 AM

That's a very fun, imaginative book. I am excited to see what Speilberg does with it. I finished All the Light We Cannot See a few days ago and just loved it. What did you think of it Patrick?

jsmcmullen92
02-16-2016, 05:12 AM

That is such a good one! I really hope SP's limited gives it the justice it deserves.

Patrick
02-16-2016, 10:59 AM

That's a very fun, imaginative book. I am excited to see what Speilberg does with it. I finished All the Light We Cannot See a few days ago and just loved it. What did you think of it Patrick?
I thought ALL THE LIGHT was a beautiful story. Absolutely loved it.

That is such a good one! I really hope SP's limited gives it the justice it deserves.
I cannot tell you how bummed I am that I didn't order a copy and now they're sold out.

EDIT: I just did a deeper search of my email. Apparently I did order a copy of the S/L back in June of last year. I am so stoked!

Stebbins
02-19-2016, 07:55 AM
VENTURE DEALS: BE SMARTER THAN YOUR LAWYER AND VENTURE CAPITALIST

jsmcmullen92
02-19-2016, 08:03 AM

I cannot tell you how bummed I am that I didn't order a copy and now they're sold out.

EDIT: I just did a deeper search of my email. Apparently I did order a copy of the S/L back in June of last year. I am so stoked!

Woo I bet that's a great feeling!

Lookwhoitis
02-19-2016, 08:13 AM
My first ever Robert McCammon: Speaks the Nightbird

goheat
02-19-2016, 09:22 AM

Excellent book, and you'll want to jump into the whole Matthew Corbett series after!

Patrick
02-21-2016, 07:41 PM

Woo I bet that's a great feeling!
Being unorganized and haphazard has its occasional perks.

My sons (15 and 13) are reading the book, too. They love it. I may pick up a couple S/L's in the aftermarket for them.

firemonkey66
02-21-2016, 07:54 PM
I'm on the 3rd book of the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi. My father recommended it time and time again and I always shrugged it off with a 'ya ya ya, I'll get to it,' but man, I was wrong to put it off as long as I did, it's a great series (so far). Anybody looking for a good book sci-fi book that leads into a good series, check it out.

frik
02-21-2016, 09:27 PM

One of McCammon's very best! It's a huge book, but you'll love it.
I hope.

sk

dnemec
02-22-2016, 05:33 AM
I'm about to start the 3rd book of the Wayward Pines series. I can't remember who recommended it, but a huge THANK YOU to whomever it was! I've really enjoyed the other 2, and can't wait to see how the series finishes!

Heather19
02-22-2016, 07:32 AM
I'm about to start the 3rd book of the Wayward Pines series. I can't remember who recommended it, but a huge THANK YOU to whomever it was! I've really enjoyed the other 2, and can't wait to see how the series finishes!

:thumbsup: That's one of my favorites.

Just started listening to A Storm of Swords. Really loving these books so far.

fernandito
02-22-2016, 09:09 AM

You have no idea how happy that makes me.

WeDealInLead
02-23-2016, 06:36 AM
Started re-reading The Drawing of the Three. Almost finished Cujo. My opinion about it hasn't changed, it's still a bottom ten SK book. Dreadful at parts.

Dan
02-23-2016, 06:39 AM
Julia by Peter Straub. So far one of Straub's better books. His early stuff is really good. I have a hard time following some of his newer books and novellas.

Lookwhoitis
02-23-2016, 06:56 AM

are the GRRM audiobook presentations unabridged?

Heather19
02-23-2016, 09:06 AM
I'm pretty sure they are. They're insanely long, this one is 40 something hours. Good thing I have a long commute and can sometimes listen at work.

Patrick
02-23-2016, 12:33 PM
The GRRM ASOIAF audiobooks are unabridged and therefore, as Heather said, insanely long. I love the reader. I listened to all of them on a series of 6-hour drives I was doing for a while.

Lookwhoitis
02-23-2016, 01:17 PM
I, for some inane reason, have never had (until recently) a CD player in my car. (probably because most of my previous vehicles were PoS). I bought a new car last year with the bells and whistles and have been pretty darn happy listening to books on CD for the last 12 months.

I've been working my way through the Divergent series, John Grisham, and some Michael Connelly books.

I think i need to add ASoIaF to the pile for my "re-Read" lol!

Heather19
02-23-2016, 02:10 PM
I, for some inane reason, have never had (until recently) a CD player in my car. (probably because most of my previous vehicles were PoS). I bought a new car last year with the bells and whistles and have been pretty darn happy listening to books on CD for the last 12 months.

I've been working my way through the Divergent series, John Grisham, and some Michael Connelly books.

Do you have a smart phone? I found out that you can borrow audiobooks from the library. There's an app so you can listen on your phone, which is perfect for the car. I just plug it in and listen thru the stereo in the car.

Lookwhoitis
02-23-2016, 03:22 PM

Do you have a smart phone? I found out that you can borrow audiobooks from the library. There's an app so you can listen on your phone, which is perfect for the car. I just plug it in and listen thru the stereo in the car.

yah I just have to figure out how to do it, lol. Most of my CD listens are from the library

Heather19
02-23-2016, 03:29 PM

yah I just have to figure out how to do it, lol. Most of my CD listens are from the library

The app I have is called Overdrive. I'm pretty sure I might have gotten right from the library website, if not it should be in the app store. It was very easy to set up and get linked to my account.

FennyBate
02-23-2016, 08:48 PM
Julia by Peter Straub. So far one of Straub's better books. His early stuff is really good. I have a hard time following some of his newer books and novellas.

'Julia' is great, I read it for the first time late last year. Though you probably wouldn't pick it as Straub if you didn't know. Centipede Press is meant to be doing a signed/limited, but haven't heard anything about it for a while.

Mattrick
02-23-2016, 08:48 PM
Currently reading the rough draft of my third novel. It's so fucked up and twisted. I love it.

WeDealInLead
02-24-2016, 05:44 AM
I'm trying to decide on the next book. It has to be by Simmons but I'm not sure which one: Lovedeath, The Hollow Man, Illium.

Dan
02-24-2016, 06:05 AM
I'm trying to decide on the next book. It has to be by Simmons but I'm not sure which one: Lovedeath, The Hollow Man, Illium.

Illium is a heavy book, but I loved it. Kind of follows the Trojan war. If you like short stories Lovedeath is good. I have not read The Hollow Man yet. I just finished The Fall of Hyperion reread and took a one book break before starting my reread of Endymion. Love Simmons!

biomieg
02-24-2016, 06:39 AM
I really liked The Hollow Man, it's completely different than what I expected.

biomieg
02-24-2016, 06:42 AM
(completely irrelevant, but is it 'different than what I expected' or 'different from what I expected'? I wrote 'from' first but neither feels completely right)

Lookwhoitis
02-24-2016, 07:00 AM
11.22.63! :D

WeDealInLead
02-24-2016, 07:01 AM
They're both OK.

"Different than I expected" works too.

Different-y.

I'm a big fan of H.G. Wells and Simmons so I named my band Hollowman *. Still need to read the book though so I figure that's just what I'll do.

* metalheads think we got our name because of the Swedish metal band Entombed. They have a record called Hollowman.

goheat
02-24-2016, 08:20 AM
I really liked The Hollow Man, it's completely different than what I expected.

I second this suggestion! The Hollow Man really stuck with me as a great novel, and I really did like the 'science' of it!

Br!an
02-24-2016, 08:40 AM
(completely irrelevant, but is it 'different than what I expected' or 'different from what I expected'? I wrote 'from' first but neither feels completely right)

Either is fine.

I would probably say, "The book with a remarque is different than the book without." and say, "The second edition is different from the first edition."

zelig
02-24-2016, 08:47 AM
Since we're on the topic of Simmons, I'm currently reading Summer of Night.

webstar1000
02-24-2016, 08:51 AM
Since we're on the topic of Simmons, I'm currently reading Summer of Night.

GREAT book!

biomieg
02-24-2016, 12:20 PM
The first thing that always pops in my head when someone is reading Summer of Night is 'rendering truck'. That thing sure made an impression on me...

And thanks for the writing tips, guys. I'm usually pretty comfortable with my English but it's evidently not my mother tongue.

webstar1000
02-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Hey has anyone read the book (I guess it is 5 in 1?) called WOOL? Is it good?

biomieg
02-24-2016, 12:29 PM
I really liked Wool. IIRC, it was originally published as a bunch of short stories but it's really a single novel. Followed by two more novels: Shift, and Dust. I'm currently reading his newest (I think), Beacon 23.

Dan
02-24-2016, 12:59 PM

Very well written. What Michael says is correct. It started as short stories and made into a novel. The story is excellent.

Heather19
02-24-2016, 02:22 PM

Very well written. What Michael says is correct. It started as short stories and made into a novel. The story is excellent.

Have you guys read Sand? I'm currently reading that one but it's been dragging a bit. Haven't read Wool yet though.

Tommy
02-24-2016, 02:28 PM
WOOL and The Shift are both great but I haven't read anything else by him yet.

Dan
02-24-2016, 02:54 PM

Have you guys read Sand? I'm currently reading that one but it's been dragging a bit. Haven't read Wool yet though.

I have not read Sand. Only the Wool trilogy. It's on my "to read" list, which is too many books right now.

frik
02-24-2016, 09:35 PM
http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/marshall01.jpg

Received this book as part of a Cemetery Dance grab-bag: I absolutely love it.
And apparently it's the first of a trilogy?
Are the other books just as great?

sk

mae
02-24-2016, 11:20 PM
Haven't read anything in a while. Is there something wrong with me? Stupid Netflix...

jsmcmullen92
02-26-2016, 06:52 AM
Now reading Eyes of the Dragon.
What should I read next? I always struggle with that question.

Girlystevedave
02-26-2016, 07:49 AM

Oooh, I love Eyes of the Dragon.

killjoy72
02-26-2016, 10:55 AM

Oooh, I love Eyes of the Dragon.

Me too. My first King book! Must've been 11 or 12 when I read it....

zelig
02-26-2016, 10:57 AM
Was my first as well. Remember buying it in 1987. Changed my life for a time.

WeDealInLead
02-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Finished The Hollow Man, now starting Illium.

I have this mental block when it comes to self-published books. Wool's premise seems all right but I can't help thinking that if it were truly that good, a publisher would've picked it up before the internet hype.

Lookwhoitis
02-27-2016, 10:02 PM
Finished The Hollow Man, now starting Illium.

I have this mental block when it comes to self-published books. Wool's premise seems all right but I can't help thinking that if it were truly that good, a publisher would've picked it up before the internet hype.

The wool series is freaking GREAT. Howey is a self made man, and a cool cat to boot.

Go check the damn book out from the library if you dont want to buy it.

Brian861
02-27-2016, 10:48 PM
Just about to finish off Duma Key. Can't believe I've waited this long to read it. It's freakin' awesome! Up next, I think I'm going to read Bev's (Vincent) new DTC, then King's TBOBD. I've made it my goal this year to read a little bit each day even if it's just a few pages before my eyes slam shut. So far, so good :).

FennyBate
02-28-2016, 03:54 AM
Finished 'It', and it is definitely one of my all time favorites. I first read it when I was only a few years older than the kids, and this time I'm a few years older than the grown ups. Definitely brings another layer to the reading experience.

Dipping into a non-fiction book called 'Rare Books Uncovered' - a group of stories about amazing finds of rare books. Excellent stuff, so far. This is a genre that I'm really getting into, since reading 'The Man Who Loved Books Too Much' recently. (Recommended to me by a member here, RC65)

Needed something really well written, to follow on from 'It', so have decided on 'The Passage'. And yes, the writing is first rate.

zelig
02-28-2016, 08:34 AM
Thanks for posting those two books. I love books about books. Will take a look at those. If you haven't read it yet, you should add A Gentle Madness by Nicholas A. Basbanes to your list.

WeDealInLead
02-29-2016, 01:45 PM
Kim Stanley Robinson - Aurora
Dan Simmons - llium

webstar1000
02-29-2016, 03:23 PM
Here is Cuba on vacation... Took a few books:) finished the twelve and loved it! Now reading Darwins Blase by Simmons... Dedicated to King! And yes.... It's very good!!!

FennyBate
02-29-2016, 06:13 PM
Thanks for posting those two books. I love books about books. Will take a look at those. If you haven't read it yet, you should add A Gentle Madness by Nicholas A. Basbanes to your list.

Thanks zelig, will put it on the list. 'Used and Rare' is another one I have, but haven't read yet.

Finished the first 'act' of The Passage - what an extraordinary build up, just superb. I know what happens next put a lot of readers off, but not this one.

Roland of Gilead 33
02-29-2016, 11:15 PM
last week i finally picked up A Spell For Chameleon By Piers Anthony, i had set it down months ago and picked up other books which was "The Mugger by Ed Mcbain. i wrote all these down cause i like to keep track of them all. i don't remember when it was when i read it but i read it. anyways that was in (2015) anyways i had 3 chapters left so i finished A Spell For Chameleon. why not i only had 67 pages or so left anyways. as for what i'm reading NOW , it's From Potter's Field and old one from (1995) and it's book #6 in the Kay Scarpetta series. by Patrica Cornwell. anyone read this one? i'm only 79 pages into it so far and i like it so far too. has anyone here read it? and if so what do they think of it?

Girlystevedave
03-02-2016, 06:36 AM
I've decided to do a re-read of The Dark Tower series and I'm just now jumping into Drawing of the Three.

WeDealInLead
03-02-2016, 07:46 AM
I've decided to do a re-read of The Dark Tower series and I'm just now jumping into Drawing of the Three.

Huzzah! Me too. I'm at the part where Roland asked the stewardess for a popkin. Oh DT-speech, how I loathe thee.

Girlystevedave
03-02-2016, 07:57 AM
The DT speech doesn't bother me so much, but I really don't look forward to the "Detta-talk". :lol:

To be honest, I'll probably speed through this re-read so I can hurry up and get to Wastelands. [rubs hands together]

Br!an
03-02-2016, 08:49 AM
I'm about half way through the revised The Gunslinger.

Brilliant minds and all that.

Girlystevedave
03-02-2016, 09:11 AM
:thumbsup:

How do you like the revised version?

Br!an
03-02-2016, 12:35 PM

I like it. I think I'm glad to have read the original first though. Having read the series already the revised version makes sense though.

biomieg
03-02-2016, 02:10 PM
I just received my copies of The Fifth Heart and Replay. Choices, choices....

zelig
03-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Replay. No brainer.

jhanic
03-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Replay. No brainer.

Strongly agree!

John

Girlystevedave
03-02-2016, 07:53 PM

I like it. I think I'm glad to have read the original first though. Having read the series already the revised version makes sense though.

I agree. I'm also glad that I read the original first, but the revised definitely ties in with the series in a different way. I'll admit that I found the amount of foreshadowing to be a bit overwhelming though.

jsmcmullen92
03-03-2016, 09:05 AM
The DT speech doesn't bother me so much, but I really don't look forward to the "Detta-talk". :lol:

To be honest, I'll probably speed through this re-read so I can hurry up and get to Wastelands. [rubs hands together]

I really do not care for her as a character much. I finished Book 6 not too long ago and it was almost too overwhelming to me with her. I am now taking a break before I pick up book 7...

fernandito
03-03-2016, 09:15 AM
You haven't finished the series yet, jsm?

Lookwhoitis
03-03-2016, 09:24 AM
I've made it my goal this year to read a little bit each day even if it's just a few pages before my eyes slam shut. So far, so good :).

That's the way to do it!

I have a moderate goal set of 50 pages a day, and alternate books going at the same time, although 11.22.63 is certainly commandeering most of my attention at the moment!

Lookwhoitis
03-03-2016, 09:27 AM
started Summer of Night - Dan Simmons yesterday :nana:

fernandito
03-03-2016, 09:28 AM
50 pages a day is a good haul. My reading has slowed down considerably going into my 30's, but I try to at LEAST get 25 pages in a day.

Heather19
03-03-2016, 09:45 AM
started Summer of Night - Dan Simmons yesterday :nana:

jsmcmullen92
03-03-2016, 11:52 AM

Nope :redface: lol this is my first read through. I tried to start it in college but I read the revised gunslinger and didn't like it at all. The I picked it up again at my old apartment and started moving right as I finished the Gunslinger. Picked it up again about last Nov. and finally finished book 6, 2 or 3 weeks ago. I think I am going to read one more book after ETOD before I read book 7

Lookwhoitis
03-03-2016, 02:49 PM

Nope :redface: lol this is my first read through. I tried to start it in college but I read the revised gunslinger and didn't like it at all. The I picked it up again at my old apartment and started moving right as I finished the Gunslinger. Picked it up again about last Nov. and finally finished book 6, 2 or 3 weeks ago. I think I am going to read one more book after ETOD before I read book 7

congrats on the long haul, bro. :cowboy: I am also an unfinished reader. I vow to complete this calendar year

Br!an
03-03-2016, 03:20 PM

I agree. I'm also glad that I read the original first, but the revised definitely ties in with the series in a different way. I'll admit that I found the amount of foreshadowing to be a bit overwhelming though.

Yeah, there is that.

I would like to see a side by side comparison. If I could get both versions in digital form I might collate them myself.

Roland of Gilead 33
03-03-2016, 05:47 PM
The Drawing of the three is my favorite book in the DT series. i love the Honk Mofo's it's funny as hell or as i like to call them the honk mafha's. i dunno why i just do. i can't remember if that's in the series or not as it's been awhile since i last read a DT book. so i can't remember if that's where i got it from or not is what i am trying to say. anyways i'm further into my book i'm on page #110 now

Cordial Jim
03-03-2016, 05:49 PM

Ah, Basbanes and Sanders, two of my favorite bibliophiles. I always get excited when I see Ken Sanders (and Ken Gloss) on Antiques Roadshow. :)

Another great "book about books" is Book Row: An Anecdotal and Pictorial History of the Antiquarian Book Trade (2003), a wonderful look at NYC's famous Book Row circa 1890's to 1960's. What a unique, special time and place for book lovers.

ladysai
03-03-2016, 05:56 PM
http://www.fictiondb.com/coversth/th_0671704184.jpg

Br!an
03-03-2016, 06:09 PM

I am a fantasy fiction fan. Weaveworld is awesome.

Dan
03-03-2016, 06:17 PM
+1 on Weaveworld

ladysai
03-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Its the best by Barker, in my humble opinion. :)

Merlin1958
03-03-2016, 06:47 PM
Currently reading "Inferno" by Dan Brown

divemaster
03-04-2016, 07:26 AM

+1 on Weaveworld

As a King fan, I wanted to get into Barker but I just couldn't. I don't recall the order but I did read Weaveworld, The Great and Secret Show, The Damnation Game, Cabal, and a couple of the Books of Blood collections, so I gave it a good go. Barker just seems so...random...I guess. Out of the above, The Damnation Game had the tightest plot, but the others just struck me as "making it up as you go" with no real cohesiveness. It might be that my issue is with fantasy as a genre (which I do not care for). Too much "and then magic happened out of nowhere."

An ex-girlfriend swore that Imagica was the best book ever but I have not tested that theory.

I also never could get into Straub.

wolfehr
03-04-2016, 07:36 AM
Finished Black House last night. Now on to Little Things by John R. Little and The Journey Begins Dark Tower comics.

WeDealInLead
03-04-2016, 07:40 AM
I haven't read any of Barker's fantasy books but I thought Books of Blood were great, like King if he got really nasty and more literary or whatever.

I'm almost finished The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu. Hands down, the best new S.F. book I've read in at least five years. Liu mixes the best parts of Clarke, Niven and space adventure.

Dan
03-04-2016, 09:04 AM

Some of Straub is hard to read. I remember reading The Ballad of Ballard and Sandrine and never understanding what was going on. Ever. His early works are fantastic, but some are hard to follow.

zelig
03-04-2016, 09:39 AM

Ah, Basbanes and Sanders, two of my favorite bibliophiles. I always get excited when I see Ken Sanders (and Ken Gloss) on Antiques Roadshow. :)

Another great "book about books" is Book Row: An Anecdotal and Pictorial History of the Antiquarian Book Trade (2003), a wonderful look at NYC's famous Book Row circa 1890's to 1960's. What a unique, special time and place for book lovers.

Thanks for putting me onto another one.. It's out of print but got a copy for $9 from an online bookseller. Just looking at the picture on the cover makes you wish you were there at that time. Must have been a Golden aAge. I'm currently reading Rare Books Uncovered, which was recommended earlier in this discussion. Really enjoying the rare find stories in there.

Patrick
03-04-2016, 10:19 AM

Yeah, there is that.

I would like to see a side by side comparison. If I could get both versions in digital form I might collate them myself.
Brian, back when the revised edition of THE GUNSLINGER was released, some King fans created a detailed comparison list of every change. I know it was posted on the old thedarktower.net. It may still be out on the internet somewhere. You might ask in Calvins Corner in the Random Comments thread. A lot of those guys save everything.

Currently reading: THE LAST COLONY, by John Scalzi

Br!an
03-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Thanks Patrick. I will do that.

Merlin1958
03-04-2016, 08:04 PM

+1 on Weaveworld

As a King fan, I wanted to get into Barker but I just couldn't. I don't recall the order but I did read Weaveworld, The Great and Secret Show, The Damnation Game, Cabal, and a couple of the Books of Blood collections, so I gave it a good go. Barker just seems so...random...I guess. Out of the above, The Damnation Game had the tightest plot, but the others just struck me as "making it up as you go" with no real cohesiveness. It might be that my issue is with fantasy as a genre (which I do not care for). Too much "and then magic happened out of nowhere."

An ex-girlfriend swore that Imagica was the best book ever but I have not tested that theory.

I enjoyed "Weaveworld" very much. "The Great and Secret Show" took some doing to finally get into, but in the end it was good.

FennyBate
03-04-2016, 08:54 PM

Thanks for putting me onto another one.. It's out of print but got a copy for $9 from an online bookseller. Just looking at the picture on the cover makes you wish you were there at that time. Must have been a Golden aAge. I'm currently reading Rare Books Uncovered, which was recommended earlier in this discussion. Really enjoying the rare find stories in there.

Happy to see you got a copy, and that you're enjoying it. It's the sort of book you can put down for a while, then get straight back into. Perfect to break up back to back long reads - I started it between 'It' and 'The Passage'.

Girlystevedave
03-05-2016, 08:30 AM

I think Straub is the reason it took me so long to really get into The Talisman. It ended up being one of my favorites, but I could have done without Straub's droning on and on in certain parts.

Roland of Gilead 33
03-05-2016, 07:50 PM
that one i still haven't finished to be honest. i think i've only read chapters 1 and 2 and that's about it, as you are right it just drones and is a very slow starter of a book

Girlystevedave
03-08-2016, 08:05 AM
that one i still haven't finished to be honest. i think i've only read chapters 1 and 2 and that's about it, as you are right it just drones and is a very slow starter of a book

It does start out pretty slow. If you can get past the beginning, it really turns out to be an awesome book though. It's one that I've read a few times now. :)

webstar1000
03-08-2016, 08:22 AM
ILLIUM... Dan Simmons... feel this is the first book I am "fighting" a bit through. Sometimes I like it but... not sure... anyone here really enjoyed it?

Dan
03-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Yes, I enjoyed it. How far in are you?

webstar1000
03-08-2016, 09:36 AM

125 pages on the paperback

Dan
03-08-2016, 11:09 AM

125 pages on the paperback

Hmm. I can't say for sure, but it sounds like you are still in the slow part. It's been about two years since I read it, but after it got going I really enjoyed it.

biomieg
03-08-2016, 12:46 PM
It was a slow start for me as well. It didn't help that I didn't equally like all storylines (at least, in the beginning). The Hockenberry storyline took me the longest to get into. I liked the Moravecs the best.

Lookwhoitis
03-08-2016, 02:44 PM
well i've taken the plunge into Simmons and McCammon due to the degree that both authors are lauded on the boards.

Enjoyed Speaks the Nightbird and am currently reading Summer of Night. I will probably go onto Boy's Life and Hyperion next. I have Drood and The Terror checked out from the public library as well.

The only thing is that my pocket is going to smart if I start getting their S/N LEs too! (already have, lol)

Dan
03-08-2016, 02:45 PM
All those are great choices. Not everyone like Drood, but I thought it was great.

Lookwhoitis
03-08-2016, 02:48 PM
All those are great choices. Not everyone like Drood, but I thought it was great.

I know, I've been hearing some buzzkill about it but I am a HUGE Charles Dickes fan so I am thinking I may like it, too.

Dan
03-08-2016, 03:25 PM

I know, I've been hearing some buzzkill about it but I am a HUGE Charles Dickes fan so I am thinking I may like it, too.

Then I suppose you will. I am also a huge fan of Charles Dickens. Reading this actually inspired me to read The Woman in White by Wilkey Collins. It's pretty good, also.

webstar1000
03-08-2016, 04:47 PM
Abominable is next for me after Illuim. Anyone read that one? Good?

Heather19
03-08-2016, 04:58 PM
I just bought it a few weeks ago. I've been dying to start it, just need to finish the one I'm reading now. You'll probably get to it before me, so let me know what you think.

webstar1000
03-08-2016, 05:11 PM
I just bought it a few weeks ago. I've been dying to start it, just need to finish the one I'm reading now. You'll probably get to it before me, so let me know what you think.

I will!!! Then after that it's the Wayward Pines series!!! Lol then End of Watch. Gotta find the time to read... I love it!!

Heather19
03-08-2016, 05:17 PM

I will!!! Then after that it's the Wayward Pines series!!! Lol then End of Watch. Gotta find the time to read... I love it!!

Wayward Pines series is awesome! You'll love it :)

FennyBate
03-09-2016, 03:11 AM
About 550 pages into 'The Passage', and absolutely loving it. Feels like I'm approaching the end of the middle act, which I believe has copped some criticism. Could it have been shorter?...possibly, but I like the detail it added to the world that Cronin has created.

I do enjoy stories set 'in the genre' - so 'Best New Horror', by Joe Hill, was very, very enjoyable. Fantastic way to kick off a collection.
Skipped '20th Century Ghost', because I read it recently - one of my all time favourite stories.
Now, 'Pop Art' is definitely NOT my type of thing - but I adored it. This is looking like an extremely strong collection.
Lincoln.

jhanic
03-09-2016, 06:43 AM

I really did enjoy Abominable. It sure didn't go in the direction I expected.

John

webstar1000
03-09-2016, 07:09 AM

I really did enjoy Abominable. It sure didn't go in the direction I expected.

John
AWESOME!

frik
03-09-2016, 07:26 AM

One of Simmons' best!
You'll love it, Kris.

sk

Girlystevedave
03-09-2016, 07:57 AM

Wayward Pines series is awesome! You'll love it :)

What Heather said! The series is awesome. :thumbsup:

goheat
03-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Whew, finished Earthquake Weather by Tim Powers, ending the Fault Lines trilogy. Glad it all came together at the end! Started in on Books of Blood by Clive Barker, as I hadn't read anything of his before (only saw Hellraiser movies!)

jsmcmullen92
03-10-2016, 03:48 PM
About halfway through The Amityville Horror. I'm really enjoying it so far. Next will be The Dark Tower to finally finish off my first full read through. :rock:

Roland of Gilead 33
03-10-2016, 11:09 PM
the amityville horror that is such a great book. true it may be fiction but you know what i don't give a shit either. i also have the sequels on paperback as well. those i haven't read yet. i did read a decent portion of the 2nd book though i just have yet to finish it. which DT book are you on anyways?

Jean
03-11-2016, 12:49 AM
As a King fan, I wanted to get into Barker but I just couldn't. (...) Barker just seems so...random...I guess. Out of the above, The Damnation Game had the tightest plot, but the others just struck me as "making it up as you go" with no real cohesiveness. It might be that my issue is with fantasy as a genre (which I do not care for). Too much "and then magic happened out of nowhere."

Amen.
Minus the ex-girlfriend part and my not reading TDG, agree with every word.
I read BoB (and, I believe, something else that I don't remember) -

I thought Books of Blood were great, like King if he got really nasty and more literary or whatever.and it's just the same random, haphazard writing. It's good imagery, but, to my taste, poor storytelling. But, of course, bears too disllike fantasy as a genre.
Straub - differently from Barker, but still - doesn't seem to be able to keep the story together all the time. He is a good writer, though, that is, I enjoy reading him, but none of his novels has left me satisfied yet. It's like he wants to say a lot, as Barker seems to desperately want to convey his visions, Straub has tons of thoughts and concepts, and neither of them can bind those into a coherent and convincing whole. (strictly in my opinion, of course, and especially comparing to King)
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif.html)

It does start out pretty slow. If you can get past the beginning, it really turns out to be an awesome book though. It's one that I've read a few times now. :)
if I haven't lost the track of the conversation, we're talking Talisman here. Again, just like it was with Insomnia, bears are in the minority - loved the slow start, was bored by the hectic fuss in the last chapters

picontin
03-11-2016, 03:29 AM
I'm reading It...again!

jsmcmullen92
03-11-2016, 05:57 AM
the amityville horror that is such a great book. true it may be fiction but you know what i don't give a shit either. i also have the sequels on paperback as well. those i haven't read yet. i did read a decent portion of the 2nd book though i just have yet to finish it. which DT book are you on anyways?

I have read 1-6 & 4.5. I tend to take a 1 or 2 book break between each book. But I should finish Amityville today or tomorrow then I am going to complete the journeys! I really hope book seven give more information on history of End World. There are so many questions I still have but I am hoping they will be answered in this conclusion

Girlystevedave
03-11-2016, 07:11 PM
About halfway through The Amityville Horror. I'm really enjoying it so far. Next will be The Dark Tower to finally finish off my first full read through. :rock:

The Amityville Horror was the first scary book I ever read. So damn creepy. And good.

Roland of Gilead 33
03-11-2016, 07:17 PM
it wasn't mine actually because i read a number of various horror things but i read it for the 1st time in i think high school and loved every minute of it. the film well the original is a decent little film. the sequels are utter shit though well the films anyways. you should check out the sequels to the 1st book once you finish that one. i've read it more than once too and i lent it to a friend in high school WHO read it and loved it too and she is someone i can't think at least back than i ever saw read any type of book outside of having to do it for school too.

Mattrick
03-11-2016, 09:24 PM
Just about to finish off Duma Key. Can't believe I've waited this long to read it. It's freakin' awesome! Up next, I think I'm going to read Bev's (Vincent) new DTC, then King's TBOBD. I've made it my goal this year to read a little bit each day even if it's just a few pages before my eyes slam shut. So far, so good :).

The only King book to successfully creep me out, and it creeped me out many times. The Shining creeped me out twice and Insomnia and Bag of Bones got me once each. Duma Key was like half a dozen at least. I really need to reread it, but I don't know where my hardcover got off too.

Roland of Gilead 33
03-12-2016, 12:08 AM
Insomina is a book i really do love and i'd love to see it as a film. but also am wondering how that one will be made with the dudes that went around killing people i could never make up my mind how to picture them clipping someone's auroa isn't it called? if that's spelled right? anyways i just finished "From Potter's Field and really did love it. on good reads a lot of people complained about how on the last page the killer is killed with like less than a paragraph and actually do agree with that.
it was stupid to write such a damn good book in my opinion than just kill him off that quickly and on the last page of the book never the less. now i have no idea what i'm going to read next to be honest.
as for SK books that creep me out at this late hour i can't think of any, but i'm sure Bag of bones was one that did cause i love that book as well. too bad the film was utter shit. i don't blame Mick Garris for his directing just the writing of it.

it needed a far far better script i think.

jsmcmullen92
03-13-2016, 06:13 PM
Welp just finished Amityville. It was great. On to The Dark Tower.

Lovejoygirl14
03-13-2016, 06:29 PM
Currently dragging myself through under the dome. I am bored. But I can't just NOT finish it lol. Simultaneously reading Neil gaiman trigger warning

Anubis2347
03-13-2016, 07:16 PM
Reading Justin Cronins The Twelve and the Novelization of Jim Hensons Labyrinth.... Enjoying both very much.

Girlystevedave
03-13-2016, 07:42 PM
I've reached Drawing of the Three on my DT reread. I'm also dabbling in Bev Vincent's The Road to the Dark Tower, which I'm enjoying very very much. :)

Brian861
03-13-2016, 07:49 PM
I've reached Drawing of the Three on my DT reread. I'm also dabbling in Bev Vincent's The Road to the Dark Tower, which I'm enjoying very very much. :)

Me too on Bev's book. Amazing how much memory of the books coming rushing back while reading it. Definitely makes me want to revisit TDT series again as well.

Girlystevedave
03-13-2016, 07:52 PM

Me too on Bev's book. Amazing how much memory of the books coming rushing back while reading it. Definitely makes me want to revisit TDT series again as well.

Yes! I love the extra insight into the stories. It's definitely something I'd recommend any tower junkie pick up.

Brian861
03-13-2016, 07:57 PM
I'll second that. I've skipped a few parts as I haven't read the comics or TWTTK yet. I'm looking forward to Robin's book as well when it's released.

Heather19
03-14-2016, 04:36 AM
the Novelization of Jim Hensons Labyrinth.... Enjoying both very much.

I never knew there was such a thing. How is it?

Anubis2347
03-14-2016, 05:11 AM
It's really enjoyable light reading, assuming that you liked the movie. It follows the movie very closely and just adds in a few extra details.

There is also a 4 book manga called Return to the Labyrinth that takes place after the movie and is about Toby's return to the Labyrinth.

jsmcmullen92
03-14-2016, 08:03 AM
Currently dragging myself through under the dome. I am bored. But I can't just NOT finish it lol. Simultaneously reading Neil gaiman trigger warning
Man I thought UTD was great. It took me awhile to read and was slow at point but I was enthralled with the characters. Just whatever you do don't watch the show afterwards

zelig
03-14-2016, 08:12 AM
I got through it, but it's one of my least favorite King books.

killjoy72
03-14-2016, 08:43 AM
UTD was one of the fastest fat books I have ever read. I couldn't put it down! For me it was well paced, I just didn't like the ending.
I'm currently reading McCammon's Baal.

Brian861
03-14-2016, 08:45 AM
UTD was one of the fastest fat books I have ever read. I couldn't put it down! For me it was well paced, I just didn't like the ending.
I'm currently reading McCammon's Baal.

Same here, KJ on the ending.

Dan
03-14-2016, 08:52 AM
Strange, I loved UTD and place it in my top 10 easily. Maybe top 5. It just goes to show that everyone is different.

Heather19
03-14-2016, 01:42 PM
I agree. I loved Under the Dome, just minus the ending. But I'm used to that with King.

Tommy
03-14-2016, 08:54 PM
I would put the UTD in my Top Ten King books. Maybe the ending was not the best part of the overall story but the story overall is fantastic. The intricacies of having a small town under lock down and all that came from that was what was so special about the book for me. The ending, not his best but I did like it. I honestly never could think of a better way to end that story.

I certainly liked Under the Dome the Novel better than the TV Series.

Currently reading Merrick by Anne Rice and not really liking it all that much. Not her best by any means ( I haven't gotten to Lestat's part yet) but it remains a fascinating world she has created.

zelig
03-15-2016, 07:33 AM
Reading The Fireman.

biomieg
03-15-2016, 07:38 AM
Just finished Replay - great book! Tonight I'm going to start Simmons' The Fifth Heart.

Bev Vincent
03-15-2016, 07:48 AM
End of Watch

webstar1000
03-15-2016, 09:02 AM
I have never stopped reading a book... and I find myself FIGHTING through Illium by Simmons... I may have to plow through it.

Heather19
03-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Really? I'm notorious for quitting a book, sometimes only a page or two in :lol:

zelig
03-15-2016, 11:19 AM
I also very seldom abandon a book and have ploughed through many. But there have been some where I end up throwing in the towel. Sometimes it's just not worth the pain.

WeDealInLead
03-15-2016, 11:26 AM
It's not something I take pride in but I've abandoned many a book. Some of them were by my favourite writers. I've tried Neal Stephenson a few times but his books simply never clicked with me. Zoe's Tale by Scalzi made me furious, so fucking annoying. My record is exactly a single page into The Night Boat by McCammon. His later works made me dislike his early efforts.

Maybe I'm missing out on some good stories but I'm OK with it. There are books I actually want to read but don't have time to. There are around 100 between Gene Wolfe and PKD alone I wish I could have downloaded direct into my brain.

Girlystevedave
03-15-2016, 11:39 AM
I hate to give up on a book, but that doesn't mean I won't do it. Life's too short to waste it on boring books. :lol:

Heather19
03-15-2016, 02:01 PM
I hate to give up on a book, but that doesn't mean I won't do it. Life's too short to waste it on boring books. :lol:

Roland of Gilead 33
03-15-2016, 08:03 PM
i've given up on plenty of books too. Wizard & Glass i had to have read about half of the book about a dozen or times before i finally was able to finally finish it a couple years back. there are a few other king books i've started but just never finished well not yet anyways. it doesn't mean i think the book is utter shit either it just means that i lost interest. there are books that were utter shit that i forced myself to read and that's the girl who loved Tom Gordon that's a book i've said many times i had to force myself to finish cause it was just fucking boring as hell.

anyways i'm currently reading "The Bone Collector' by Jeffery Deaver. i absolutely LOVE the film and from my understanding other than very few things that were changed like Lincoln Rhyme's Aid in the book where it's a woman in the film it's a dude in the book. and though i'm only on chapter 3. another thing that was different was Angelie Jolie or however her name is spelled? well her character in the film takes pics of the crime scene before any of the cops got there she does one of that in the book.
in fact on how early i am in the book she hasn't even met him yet!

Brian861
03-16-2016, 01:15 AM
W&G was by far my favorite in the series. But then again, I'm a sucker for that sappy, sad shit. :wub:

FennyBate
03-16-2016, 02:44 AM
Finished 'The Passage', which was fantastic. Would like to jump straight into 'The Twelve', but some shorter fiction in between is in order, I think. So, back to '20th Century Ghosts', by Joe Hill. The last story I read in it was 'Abraham's Boys', and it was excellent.

Honestly, I can't remember looking forward to two upcoming books so much - Joe Hill's 'The Fireman' and Cronin's 'City of Mirrors'.
Lincoln.

Dan
03-16-2016, 03:14 AM
Finished 'The Passage', which was fantastic. Would like to jump straight into 'The Twelve', but some shorter fiction in between is in order, I think. So, back to '20th Century Ghosts', by Joe Hill. The last story I read in it was 'Abraham's Boys', and it was excellent.

Honestly, I can't remember looking forward to two upcoming books so much - Joe Hill's 'The Fireman' and Cronin's 'City of Mirrors'.
Lincoln.

I have to do this also. It lets me process the book in my mind before jumping into the next novel.

Dan
03-16-2016, 03:16 AM
i've given up on plenty of books too. Wizard & Glass i had to have read about half of the book about a dozen or times before i finally was able to finally finish it a couple years back. there are a few other king books i've started but just never finished well not yet anyways. it doesn't mean i think the book is utter shit either it just means that i lost interest. there are books that were utter shit that i forced myself to read and that's the girl who loved Tom Gordon that's a book i've said many times i had to force myself to finish cause it was just fucking boring as hell.

anyways i'm currently reading "The Bone Collector' by Jeffery Deaver. i absolutely LOVE the film and from my understanding other than very few things that were changed like Lincoln Rhyme's Aid in the book where it's a woman in the film it's a dude in the book. and though i'm only on chapter 3. another thing that was different was Angelie Jolie or however her name is spelled? well her character in the film takes pics of the crime scene before any of the cops got there she does one of that in the book.
in fact on how early i am in the book she hasn't even met him yet!

I read the book years ago before the movie. I rarely watch a movie after a book since I am typically disappointed. Case in point, Ender's Game. Should I try The Bone Collector movie?

Jean
03-16-2016, 06:39 AM
I agree. I loved Under the Dome, just minus the ending. But I'm used to that with King.quite

I can't now remember if we ever included the "ending" category when we voted on King books. I wonder which would win; UtD must be at the very bottom, anyway.

Though I (who loved UtD) accepted the ending as it was: I can't help feeling that Sai King sees inside him more than he can tell, and sometimes just wriggles out of his own visions by way of providing a digestible palliative.

zelig
03-16-2016, 08:18 AM
W&G was by far my favorite in the series. But then again, I'm a sucker for that sappy, sad shit. :wub:

Yeah me too. W&G was my 2nd favorite. Drawing of the Three my favorite. But I loved W&G for the same sappy reasons.

Br!an
03-16-2016, 08:26 AM

Lincoln.

The Twelve has a different tempo than The Passage. Taking a break between the two actually makes some sense.

jhanic
03-16-2016, 10:38 AM
I agree. I loved Under the Dome, just minus the ending. But I'm used to that with King.quite

I can't now remember if we ever included the "ending" category when we voted on King books. I wonder which would win; UtD must be at the very bottom, anyway.

Though I (who loved UtD) accepted the ending as it was: I can't help feeling that Sai King sees inside him more than he can tell, and sometimes just wriggles out of his own visions by way of providing a digestible palliative.

I think Cell had the worst ending. Just saying.

John

Bev Vincent
03-16-2016, 10:44 AM
I think Cell had the worst ending. Just saying.
John

You'd get no argument from me.

zelig
03-16-2016, 10:59 AM
I don't even remember the ending of Cell. How did it end again?

WeDealInLead
03-16-2016, 11:05 AM
Cell was my first King. It's only chance that I picked up something else by him. I clearly remember not wanting to ever read him again. I can't remember what the next one was but I'm pretty sure it must've been one of the first five.

Reading: I Am Crying All Inside by Clifford D. Simak. I saw it posted here and looked it up. The e-book happened to be discounted to $3 and I jumped on it. Great collection.