PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

sharki69
07-30-2015, 03:02 PM
I just finished Old Man's war by John Sclazi - AWESOME !!! A MUST !!!

fernandito
08-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Has anyone read The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NWcDSy8WL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I know that it's set hundreds of years after the Mistborn series... my question is, do I need to be informed of the events of the series to enjoy Alloy?

Girlystevedave
08-07-2015, 05:07 AM
A Spell For Chameleon by Piers Anthony.

biomieg
08-07-2015, 05:15 AM
Just finished Ilium (Dan Simmons) and The Martian (Andy Weir). I am supposed to read Simmons' Olympos now but I don't have that one yet so I started a Mo Hayder thriller (after finishing Ilium I needed something that requires less brain cells anyway :))

DoctorZaius
08-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Just finished Ilium (Dan Simmons) and The Martian (Andy Weir). I am supposed to read Simmons' Olympos now but I don't have that one yet so I started a Mo Hayder thriller (after finishing Ilium I needed something that requires less brain cells anyway :))

Yeah, Dan Simmons can wear you out. What did you think of Ilium? I loved it, and its sequel, Olympos. At some point you should get a copy of Muse of Fire - wonderful space novella by Simmons. How was The Martian Way?

Patrick
08-10-2015, 11:58 AM
This is on my (relatively) short list of books to read. Maybe I should bump up its priority.

Currently reading, THE MARTIAN, by Andy Weir, and loving it.

zelig
08-10-2015, 12:10 PM
This is on my (relatively) short list of books to read. Maybe I should bump up its priority.

Currently reading, THE MARTIAN, by Andy Weir, and loving it.

I'm just finishing up a 1000+ page book and then I'm going to decide between Armada, The Martian, and because of Shac's recommendation, Old Man's War. Right now I'm leaning toward Armada.

ladysai
08-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Armada was pretty good. I liked Ready Player One better, but both were enjoyable.

Girlystevedave
08-16-2015, 06:01 PM
The Ocean at the End of the Lane
~Neil Gaiman

I really do want to check out some Dan Simmons that everyone has suggested, but I'm assuming they're gonna be some pretty heavy reads, based off the descriptions/reviews. I figured I'd hold off until I'm ready to commit to something that's not a light read.

WeDealInLead
08-16-2015, 06:11 PM
Just finished Bird Box by Josh Malerman. Incredible and chilling read. Started The Night Film by Marisha Pessl.

zelig
08-16-2015, 06:15 PM
Bird Box sounds interesting. I finished World Without End by Ken Follett today. A long read at 1025 pages but was really good. I have just started The Martian by Andy Weir.

Heather19
08-17-2015, 06:26 AM
~Neil Gaiman

I really do want to check out some Dan Simmons that everyone has suggested, but I'm assuming they're gonna be some pretty heavy reads, based off the descriptions/reviews. I figured I'd hold off until I'm ready to commit to something that's not a light read.

Hint, hint Summer of Night :D Not a heavy read at all, and it's a good one to read in the summertime.

How's The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I started that one forever ago, but didn't get too far into it before I put it down. Should I go back?

WeDealInLead
08-17-2015, 06:56 AM
Bird Box sounds interesting. I finished World Without End by Ken Follett today. A long read at 1025 pages but was really good. I have just started The Martian by Andy Weir.

I've been really lucky with some of my most recent reads: A Head Full of Ghosts, Bird Box, and now Night Film. I chose them strictly because of word-of-mouth and went into each of them cold. All very satisfying reads.

webstar1000
08-17-2015, 06:57 AM
Southern Reach Trilogy.. man oh man I am fighting finishing this. First book was AMAZING... the second a total fail and the 3rd not far behind. I would not recommend this to anyone:( Looking forward to my first Dan Simmons book (Summer of Night) which I just bought... up next!

Heather19
08-17-2015, 07:00 AM
Southern Reach Trilogy.. man oh man I am fighting finishing this. First book was AMAZING... the second a total fail and the 3rd not far behind. I would not recommend this to anyone:( Looking forward to my first Dan Simmons book (Summer of Night) which I just bought... up next!

:thumbsup:

I just started the third book. I agree about the second one though. Ughh, what a horrible, horrible book. The third one I'm enjoying much more. I'm only maybe about a hundred pages into it though.

Ricky
08-17-2015, 07:17 AM
I've been really lucky with some of my most recent reads: A Head Full of Ghosts

I just ordered this last night. I wanted it awhile ago, but it wasn't on sale at B&N. It was $10 cheaper on BN.com, plus I had a coupon.

webstar1000
08-17-2015, 07:18 AM

I just started the third book. I agree about the second one though. Ughh, what a horrible, horrible book. The third one I'm enjoying much more. I'm only maybe about a hundred pages into it though.

It IS BETTER than the 3rd. For sure... I am 40 pages or so from the end. I find it a hard read compared to the first but more entertaining. The first was awesome though... I would tell folks to just read that one.

frik
08-17-2015, 12:04 PM
From PS Publishing:

http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/ekmps/shops/appleworld/images/in-the-lovecraft-museum-hardcover-by-steve-rasnic-tem-3383-p.jpg

sk

biomieg
08-17-2015, 12:15 PM

Yeah, Dan Simmons can wear you out. What did you think of Ilium? I loved it, and its sequel, Olympos. At some point you should get a copy of Muse of Fire - wonderful space novella by Simmons. How was The Martian Way?

I liked Ilium a lot but it took me a while to really get into the book, or rather, to get into all three storylines (at first I liked the Moravecs the best). I do look forward to reading Olympos but I need to find me a copy first. The Martian was an entertaining read but I guess it helps if you're a bit of a science geek (which I am).

biomieg
08-17-2015, 12:25 PM

I've been really lucky with some of my most recent reads: A Head Full of Ghosts, Bird Box, and now Night Film. I chose them strictly because of word-of-mouth and went into each of them cold. All very satisfying reads.

Night Film is pretty good! I read that last year after Rahfa recommended it somewhere on here. I also got a copy of her first book but did not read it yet. I'm going to try and remember A Head Full of Ghosts and Bird Box.

I'm following the masses right now and reading Ready Player One. Liking it so far.

My recommendation for today is The Ritual (Adam Nevill). Did any of you guys read it? One of the most intense horror novels I read in a long time!

Girlystevedave
08-18-2015, 04:33 AM
~Neil Gaiman

Hint, hint Summer of Night :D Not a heavy read at all, and it's a good one to read in the summertime.

How's The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I started that one forever ago, but didn't get too far into it before I put it down. Should I go back?

Meh, to be honest, I just though it was alright. I ended up finishing it in less than 24 hours so I could start something else. I guess I just wanted more from the story than it delivered.

And here I said I didn't want a heavy read, but then turned around and started The Tommyknockers. Nothing says light read like a two-inch think book. :lol:

(What can I say? I was craving some Stephen King)

Ricky
08-18-2015, 07:16 AM
Why don't you go back to The Long Walk? You loved that one!

Girlystevedave
08-18-2015, 08:14 AM
:lol:

Never!

Heather19
08-18-2015, 08:23 AM
~Neil Gaiman

Meh, to be honest, I just though it was alright. I ended up finishing it in less than 24 hours so I could start something else. I guess I just wanted more from the story than it delivered.

And here I said I didn't want a heavy read, but then turned around and started The Tommyknockers. Nothing says light read like a two-inch think book. :lol:

Yeah I was having a really hard time getting into it. Is this your first time reading The Tommyknockers? I've been wanting to re-read that one for quite awhile now.

Girlystevedave
08-18-2015, 08:33 AM
~Neil Gaiman

Yeah I was having a really hard time getting into it. Is this your first time reading The Tommyknockers? I've been wanting to re-read that one for quite awhile now.

Yeah, it is my first read. I'm really enjoying it so far.

I did some reading right before bed, and I was past the part where Peter's eyes started to glow. I woke up in the middle of the night and realized that I had tossed my pillow across the room because, in my mind, my pillow was the item that was causing the problems (like the saucer or whatever it is buried in the ground). :lol:

Heather19
08-18-2015, 08:33 AM
:lol:

goheat
08-18-2015, 10:31 AM
I finished Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons, what an awesome book, literally could not put it down on nights when I should have gone to sleep. Now reading Prayers to Broken Stones by Simmons. I have to seriously thank Jerome (Randall Flagg) for the Simmons kick, since I received a signed PC of Entropy's Bed at Midnight in his 2015 Haven Fund Grab Bag, and otherwise probably never would have considered reading Simmons. Boy, am I glad I didn't make that mistake! 8)

webstar1000
08-18-2015, 10:35 AM
I finished Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons, what an awesome book, literally could not put it down on nights when I should have gone to sleep. Now reading Prayers to Broken Stones by Simmons. I have to seriously thank Jerome (Randall Flagg) for the Simmons kick, since I received a signed PC of Entropy's Bed at Midnight in his 2015 Haven Fund Grab Bag, and otherwise probably never would have considered reading Simmons. Boy, am I glad I didn't make that mistake! 8)

This is SO GOOD to hear. I am just about to start Summer Of Night!!!

Mattrick
08-18-2015, 02:24 PM
I'm currently reading House of Leaves. It's very intriguing and so interestingly laid out. It has it's creepy parts and I can only assume it's going to get creepier.

WeDealInLead
08-19-2015, 01:59 PM
I'm 20 pages away from finishing Logan's Run (the definitive edition with extra material). It's 245 pages in total and I started it last night. It's very addicting and the action is non-stop. I don't know why I never bothered to read it until now.

WeDealInLead
08-22-2015, 07:57 AM
I've been really lucky with some of my most recent reads: A Head Full of Ghosts

I just ordered this last night. I wanted it awhile ago, but it wasn't on sale at B&N. It was $10 cheaper on BN.com, plus I had a coupon.

King just tweeted about this book: "A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS, by Paul Tremblay: Scared the living hell out of me, and I'm pretty hard to scare."

I'm reading First Blood by David Morrell.

Ricky
08-22-2015, 05:08 PM
I've read a few of the books King has said scared him that I haven't felt the same about, so I always take his opinions with a grain of salt.

zelig
08-25-2015, 08:22 AM
The Dog Master by W. Bruce Cameron.

WeDealInLead
08-25-2015, 12:34 PM
Michael Slade - Red Snow
Rick Hautala - Glimpses
China Mieville - Kraken (only 2/5 in, the only Mieville so far that didn't make me put every other book on hold)

About to start an audio book of World Gone By by Dennis Lehane.

webstar1000
08-26-2015, 04:48 PM
Summer of Night is amazing and I cannot put it down!!

Girlystevedave
08-27-2015, 05:21 AM
Tommyknockers feels like it's never going to end. <_<

goheat
08-27-2015, 05:32 AM
Finished Prayers to Broken Stones by Dan Simmons (some really awesome short stories in that one) and decided to do the chronological thing and start in on Hyperion. I was a bit concerned I would need a glossary for some of the unique terms, but it all begins to make sense in the context of the story. Another winner so far!

webstar1000
08-27-2015, 05:49 AM
Finished Prayers to Broken Stones by Dan Simmons (some really awesome short stories in that one) and decided to do the chronological thing and start in on Hyperion. I was a bit concerned I would need a glossary for some of the unique terms, but it all begins to make sense in the context of the story. Another winner so far!

I read Terror is a GREAT one by Dan.. and to be honest if Summer of Night stays just as good (I am a 100 pages in I think) then I am starting that as I bought it as well. ANyone else like that one?

Heather19
08-27-2015, 07:02 AM
The Terror (along with Summer of Night) are two of my favorite novels. You're gonna love it.

webstar1000
08-27-2015, 07:13 AM
The Terror (along with Summer of Night) are two of my favorite novels. You're gonna love it.

Oh good I am super pumped!

Bev Vincent
08-27-2015, 07:44 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514Km%2BNBAML._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

frik
08-27-2015, 08:37 AM
http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/hodge03.jpg

Loving it so far.
Often compared to Swan Song and The stand.
Have only read about 50 pages, so no comparison here yet.

sk

Stockerlone
08-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Just startet
ANN-KATHRIN KARSCHNICK - Phoenix
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT6109.JPG
Must read fast... meet her next week at a booksigning event and get part 2 of her PHOENIX trilogie.

Heather19
08-27-2015, 10:49 AM

If you can wait, The Terror is a great one to read in the dead of winter during a big snowstorm :D

webstar1000
08-27-2015, 10:59 AM

If you can wait, The Terror is a great one to read in the dead of winter during a big snowstorm :D

What would you read after that?

biomieg
08-27-2015, 11:06 AM
I loved The Terror, but be warned: Simmons' historical fiction is very well-researched and rich in detail. The Terror (and also The Abominable, for example) are dense but rewarding reads. Very different from Summer of Night.

I just finished Simmons' Black Hills. I believe this isn't a fan favorite but I really liked it, although it could have benefitted from some rigorous editing.

Bev Vincent
08-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Drood, for all its length, was a much faster read for me than The Terror.

jhanic
08-27-2015, 12:05 PM
I enjoyed Abominable, Terror and Drood. Not so much Black Hills or Fifth Heart.

John

Heather19
08-27-2015, 01:28 PM
I've really been wanting to read Abominable. And I only got halfway into Drood before I put it down. I really need to go back and start it again. Actually if I can ever finish the Southern Reach trilogy, maybe I'll start in on a bunch of his books that I have yet to read.

What would you read after that?

For Dan Simmons? I've only read a few of his books. So there's nothing more I can recommend yet. But if you want to switch gears did you read the Wayward Pines series yet? Or some of Blake's other books?

Ricky
08-27-2015, 03:14 PM

I think I remember feeling the same way when I read it.

Mattrick
08-28-2015, 04:23 AM
House of Leaves is awesome. Can't wait to finish it.

Girlystevedave
08-28-2015, 04:46 AM

I think I remember feeling the same way when I read it.

Oh, great. So it's not just me. :lol:
I'm afraid I'm gonna finish it and not even give a crap about the seven hundred something pages I read. But, I can't give up. I can't.

Heather19
08-28-2015, 06:04 AM
House of Leaves is awesome. Can't wait to finish it.

I've really been wanting to read that.

Ricky
08-28-2015, 07:20 AM
Oh, great. So it's not just me. :lol:
I'm afraid I'm gonna finish it and not even give a crap about the seven hundred something pages I read. But, I can't give up. I can't.

For Christmas, I am going to send you a big box full of copies of The Long Walk and The Tommyknockers. :lol:

Girlystevedave
08-28-2015, 07:50 AM
:rofl:

fernandito
08-28-2015, 08:00 AM

I'm this close to doing this with Xenocide. I've read about 450 of the 600 pages and I just can't find the will to finish it.

I love Science Fiction and I love the Ender saga, but this book is about as much fun as reading an obituary.

Girlystevedave
08-28-2015, 08:08 AM

I'm this close to doing this with Xenocide. I've read about 450 of the 600 pages and I just can't find the will to finish it.

I love Science Fiction and I love the Ender saga, but this book is about as much fun as reading an obituary.

:lol: !

I've still got maybe 300 pages left to go with The Tommyknockers- but I've invested over 400! I hate quitting, but fuuuuuck.

Girlystevedave
09-01-2015, 05:10 AM
I'm reading The Need by this Matthew Livingstone guy. :cyclops:
And, I must say: It is pretty darn incredible so far.

fernandito
09-01-2015, 09:35 AM
I heard he sux.

zelig
09-01-2015, 09:36 AM
Had a bad run of books lately. Just started Blaze and enjoying it so far.

fernandito
09-01-2015, 09:41 AM
I finished Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said by PKD last night.

Loved it, even if the inevitable twist was pretty underwhelming. Top 3 PKD.

Tommy
09-01-2015, 10:33 AM
Just finished The Martian, about to finish The Rats by James Herbert, halfway through Cell by SK and at the beginning of The Witching Hour by Anne Rice

Heather19
09-01-2015, 04:08 PM
After what seems like forever I finally made it through the Southern Reach trilogy.

Just finished The Martian

I just started this one today. Hope it's good.

Mattrick
09-01-2015, 04:39 PM
I heard he sux.

Quite right you are. I sux da bigz 1ns.

Tommy
09-02-2015, 09:04 AM
Just finished The Martian

I just started this one today. Hope it's good.

I enjoyed it! :)

Theli
09-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Currently reading Rothfuss's Name of the Wind for the first time and loving it.

Dan
09-02-2015, 03:56 PM
The Troop by Nick Cutter. Over halfway through, not real interesting.

Mattrick
09-02-2015, 07:35 PM

I have this. Reading after Fourth of July Creek and Animal Farm.

frik
09-03-2015, 10:58 AM
King (supposedly) loved it - I found it to be utterly boring.

sk

Girlystevedave
09-03-2015, 12:00 PM
I'm gonna do it - I'm gonna take the plunge into Summer of Night tonight. [rubs hands together]

Girlystevedave
09-03-2015, 12:00 PM

Did you finish House of Leaves? If so, would you recommend it?

biomieg
09-03-2015, 12:11 PM
I would. Although it's been over a decade since I read it :) it's not a book you can read in small bits and pieces though, you have to immerse yourself a bit.

goheat
09-03-2015, 12:19 PM
I'm gonna do it - I'm gonna take the plunge into Summer of Night tonight. [rubs hands together]

DO IT!!!! :excited:

biomieg
09-03-2015, 12:29 PM
Do it, yes.

Heather19
09-03-2015, 12:39 PM

Finally!!! :D

I sure hope you fair better with this one than the Long Walk. I don't think I'll be able to handle you hating another one of my favorite books.

Girlystevedave
09-03-2015, 01:01 PM

DO IT!!!! :excited:

Do it, yes.

I'm gonna! I'm gonna do it! :lol:

Finally!!! :D

I sure hope you fair better with this one than the Long Walk. I don't think I'll be able to handle you hating another one of my favorite books.

I imagine you refuse to speak to me ever again. :lol:

You know what? Even if I hate it, I'm not gonna tell you cause I like you too much to disappoint you further. :innocent:

fernandito
09-03-2015, 01:12 PM

Hey, I just started Hyperion yesterday. We'll be reading the same author. :huglove:

Girlystevedave
09-03-2015, 01:19 PM
Oh yeah! That was the second on my list of Dan Simmons' books. You can let me know how it is. :couple:

Mattrick
09-03-2015, 02:12 PM

Did you finish House of Leaves? If so, would you recommend it?

Almost done. About 200 pages left. It was too big to fit into my waterproof container so I read Animal Farm out in the canoe today.

Ricky
09-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Amanda, did you finish The Tommyknockers?

Girlystevedave
09-04-2015, 04:45 AM

No! :lol:
But, I left the bookmark in the spot where I left off in case hell freezes over one day and I decide to finally finish it. :cyclops:

jhanic
09-04-2015, 04:48 AM
Just started a reread of Salem's Lot. It's been quite a while since I read it.

John

Ricky
09-04-2015, 07:02 AM
But, I left the bookmark in the spot where I left off in case hell freezes over one day and I decide to finally finish it. :cyclops:

goheat
09-04-2015, 07:06 AM

Hey, I just started Hyperion yesterday. We'll be reading the same author. :huglove:

About 60% done with Hyperion, and am continually amazed by Simmons.

Girlystevedave
09-04-2015, 07:35 AM

I started Summer of Night last night and am enjoying it so far. I like the writing style and flow of the story.

webstar1000
09-04-2015, 07:36 AM

I started Summer of Night last night and am enjoying it so far. I like the writing style and flow of the story.

LOVE'IN THIS!!!!!

Mattrick
09-04-2015, 08:10 AM

I did this with The Dark Half. Picked it up about five years later....only made it another 40 pages. What a shitty book.

Girlystevedave
09-04-2015, 08:30 AM

I did this with The Dark Half. Picked it up about five years later....only made it another 40 pages. What a shitty book.

I haven't read The Dark Half in years. I enjoyed it at the time, BUT I tried to re-read another book recently that I remembered loving and thought: "Jeez, this book is worse than I remember." I think that made me decide to never tempt fate by re-reading a book I couldn't clearly remember. :lol:

So, hell, maybe The Dark Half was awful. I'm not gonna try to find out. I'd rather leave things as they are.

Ricky
09-04-2015, 08:34 AM
The Dark Half is one of my favorites. :(

But you guys brought up a reason I rarely re-read books I love: I'm always afraid I won't like them as much a second time and end up wondering what I loved so much about them the first time.

zelig
09-04-2015, 08:36 AM

But you guys brought up a reason I rarely re-read books I love: I'm always afraid I won't like them as much a second time and end up wondering what I loved so much about them the first time.

I agree with this. I also rarely re-read books. Maybe only those that were exceptional and there's no way to ever not like it no matter how many times you re-read it.

fernandito
09-04-2015, 08:38 AM

I'm only about 30 pages into Hyperion, but I can already feel the tremors of Simmons' impressive imagination. I'm slowly getting absorbed into the story. His style reminds a lot of Clive Barker.

Let's trade when we're finished :)

Girlystevedave
09-04-2015, 08:53 AM

The Dark Half was always one of my favorites, too. :)
But, it's been years since I read it, so I'm scared to revisit it.

I agree with this. I also rarely re-read books. Maybe only those that were exceptional and there's no way to ever not like it no matter how many times you re-read it.

Yes. There are only a select few books I enjoy re-reading- books I rely on when I'm not sure what to read next and I just want something fun and familiar to fall into.

I'm only about 30 pages into Hyperion, but I can already feel the tremors of Simmons' impressive imagination. I'm slowly getting absorbed into the story. His style reminds a lot of Clive Barker.

Let's trade when we're finished :)

http://blog.chron.com/thetexican/files/2015/01/wooderson.jpg

Mattrick
09-04-2015, 08:58 AM

Ive reread quite a few books...The Dark Tower series, The Stand, Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Candide, The thief of Always, Catcher in The rye, Animal Farm (reading for the third time now), Notes From Underground. I've got tons left to reread too...East of Eden, Turn of the Screw, and Jane Eyre are at the top.

fernandito
09-04-2015, 09:05 AM
I've reread (among others) Desperation about 6 times, and The Gunslinger about 10 times, and each time I appreciate them in different ways.

It's like movies.. you won't be able to absorb all the minuscule details if you only watch them once.

Girlystevedave
09-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Desperation, The Dead Zone, The Talisman, As I Lay Dying, and The Dark Tower books are my most re-read stories.
Those are my comfort books.

zelig
09-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Makes sense. I find there's too many books that I haven't read which I want to read so it limits my re-reading time. I will say though that about a year ago I started on a quest to read all of King's books. Some I had not actually read before and some I will re-read. I'm about half way through my goal. I've read about 29 so far. Just finished Blaze and that was a big surprise. I really really liked it. Definitely one of my favorites.

Girlystevedave
09-04-2015, 09:20 AM
Ive reread quite a few books...The Dark Tower series, The Stand, Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Candide, The thief of Always, Catcher in The rye, Animal Farm (reading for the third time now), Notes From Underground. I've got tons left to reread too...East of Eden, Turn of the Screw, and Jane Eyre are at the top.

You know, Matt, that reminds me: The Need really made me want to give Catcher in the Rye another shot. I read it years back, and re-read it, and kept coming to the conclusion that Holden Caulfield was just a privileged little prick. But, hearing the discussion in your book, I started thinking that my mind wasn't open at the time of reading it.
Also, I was just discussing Jane Eyre recently. It's one of those classics that I was pleasantly surprised by.

I've reread (among others) Desperation about 6 times, and The Gunslinger about 10 times, and each time I appreciate them in different ways.

It's like movies.. you won't be able to absorb all the minuscule details if you only watch them once.

That is very true. :)

Girlystevedave
09-04-2015, 09:21 AM
Makes sense. I find there's too many books that I haven't read which I want to read so it limits my re-reading time. I will say though that about a year ago I started on a quest to read all of King's books. Some I had not actually read before and some I will re-read. I'm about half way through my goal. I've read about 29 so far. Just finished Blaze and that was a big surprise. I really really liked it. Definitely one of my favorites.

Blaze is one of King's books that I aim to re-read one day. :)

Mattrick
09-04-2015, 09:33 AM

You know, Matt, that reminds me: The Need really made me want to give Catcher in the Rye another shot. I read it years back, and re-read it, and kept coming to the conclusion that Holden Caulfield was just a privileged little prick. But, hearing the discussion in your book, I started thinking that my mind wasn't open at the time of reading it.
Also, I was just discussing Jane Eyre recently. It's one of those classics that I was pleasantly surprised by.

That is very true. :)

Catcher In The Rye I've read four or five times. I'm actually due for a reread. I try to read it once a year.

biomieg
09-04-2015, 09:46 AM

So, did you get acquainted with the rendering truck yet?

Girlystevedave
09-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Wait. You're gonna need to specify who you're talking to. :lol:

biomieg
09-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Ooops. I was referring to the 'individual' currently immersed in Summer of Night ;)

Girlystevedave
09-04-2015, 10:28 AM
:lol: I gotcha! There were 3 people in that quote, so I wasn't sure if I needed to answer.

And no, I haven't gotten to the rendering truck yet.
I am literally at the very first day of summer right now. :)

Heather19
09-04-2015, 12:09 PM
So glad to hear that you're enjoying it so far! :)

Speaking of re-reads, I rarely do them because there's so many books I want to read. But Summer of Night and It were both ones I wanted to get to this summer. Maybe I'll read them next.

Mattrick
09-04-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm getting near the end of House of Leaves. It's a very good book so far, and the unique way in which the story is told and how the telling is manipulated is very interesting. As much as I've enjoyed it, I was expecting it to be a lot creepier than it is, but then again, I'm often underwhelmed at the creepiness/scariness of a book or movie simple because nothing compares to that which is in my own mind.

Heather, I recommend it but the entire essay approach to the main narrative can be difficult for many readers to get into. Fortunately, I've been exposed to enough writing like that and am now seasoned in footnotes, which I found took a lot of adjusting to always break up the flow of information with even more information. Just be prepared for a lot of footnote reading (some footnotes are thousands of words long, but most are less than 100) and flipping back and forth between pages.

Heather19
09-04-2015, 01:12 PM
Ah, thanks. Yeah the format of the book is what's always put me off, but I keep hearing about how scary and creepy it is, and the premise sounds intriguing. I'm the same as you though, theres only 1 or two books that have scared me. I'll probably try to check it out soon.

zelig
09-05-2015, 02:37 PM
I don't remember who recommended The Rosie Project, but I seem to recall seeing it mentioned on the forum. Whoever it was, thanks! I just finished it. Wonderful book. So well written, and I could relate to a lot of it. It could make a great movie, which I see is in the works.

Now onto The Green Mile.

Ben Mears
09-05-2015, 03:19 PM

Beautifully written story. One of two books I read on an annual basis.

Girlystevedave
09-05-2015, 06:45 PM

Funny that this was the most recent post because I just logged on to come in here and say that I am loving this book so much! :D

Girlystevedave
09-05-2015, 06:46 PM

So, did you get acquainted with the rendering truck yet?

I am now acquainted with the rendering truck. [shakes fist]

fernandito
09-06-2015, 07:43 AM
I'm in love with Hyperion.
That is all.

Girlystevedave
09-06-2015, 09:47 AM
That is all.

So, we're both being won over by Dan Simmons at the same time, then? Awesome.

biomieg
09-06-2015, 10:05 AM
King is the better storyteller IMO. But Simmons' imagination and attention to detail are unparallelled and he must be one of the most versatile writers out there.

fernandito
09-06-2015, 12:45 PM
That is all.

Pretty bad ass, right? :)

How many pages into it are you?

King is the better storyteller IMO. But Simmons' imagination and attention to detail are unparallelled and he must be one of the most versatile writers out there.

I agree, especially about being detailed. It was a bit overwhelming at first, but after you read a couple of pages you start to flow with the chaos.

He reminds me a lot of PKD in that he throws out tons of futuristic mumbo jumbo and sometimes only half heartily explains it. You have to pick up clues from the dialogue to ascertain what it means.

Ben Mears
09-06-2015, 02:08 PM

I agree Michael; Simmons is incredibly versatile. He definitely makes me work a lot harder with his variety; sometimes it is worth it, other times mot so much but I always commit to finishing once I have started.

Ben Mears
09-06-2015, 02:11 PM

Funny that this was the most recent post because I just logged on to come in here and say that I am loving this book so much! :D

After you finish Summer Of Night visit the Dan Simmons website and read his October and November 2008 message titled Watching The Presidential debates in Elm Haven for an excellent coda to the novel.

goheat
09-08-2015, 06:46 AM
Finished Hyperion by Dan Simmons yesterday, and started Fall of Hyperion. Hyperion amazed me, not only because the writing is awesome, but since it incorporated some horror and detective/mystery along with just the sci-fi!

Ben Staad
09-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Frankenstorm by Ray Garton.

fernandito
09-08-2015, 08:12 AM
@goheat

I can't click on the spoiler since I haven't finished Hyperion yet (200 pages in), but I can already tell it's going to land somewhere in my top 5 sci fi's when all is said and done.

It is stupid good. I might jump to Fall of Hyperion right after.

WeDealInLead
09-08-2015, 09:13 AM
@goheat

I can't click on the spoiler since I haven't finished Hyperion yet (200 pages in), but I can already tell it's going to land somewhere in my top 5 sci fi's when all is said and done.

It is stupid good. I might jump to Fall of Hyperion right after.

You will.

I like to bring this up every time someone mentions Hyperion. Those four books take up first four spots on my all-time SF Top Ten.

The spoiler was in regards to style and genre, nothing plot related. And yes, I agree 100%.

WeDealInLead
09-08-2015, 09:17 AM
I gave up on China Mieville's Kraken. I've read 300 pages of it but the prospect of having to wade if 200 more pages is boring me to death. I like the story but really, this could have been a 200 page novel, easy.

I'm reading Excavation by Steve Rasnic Tem.

killjoy72
09-08-2015, 11:30 AM
I gave up on China Mieville's Kraken. I've read 300 pages of it but the prospect of having to wade if 200 more pages is boring me to death. I like the story but really, this could have been a 200 page novel, easy.

I'm reading Excavation by Steve Rasnic Tem.

I had a tough time getting through Kraken too.

biomieg
09-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Me too. First Miéville I read, a tough one to start with I guess!

Girlystevedave
09-09-2015, 07:13 AM
That is all.

Pretty bad ass, right? :)

How many pages into it are you?

I'm about halfway through it right now.
And, man, all your posts about Hyperion are really making me anxious to start it when I'm finished with Summer of Night.

After you finish Summer Of Night visit the Dan Simmons website and read his October and November 2008 message titled Watching The Presidential debates in Elm Haven for an excellent coda to the novel.

I'll be sure to check it out. :)

Ricky
09-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Just finished A Head Full of Ghosts. King must be getting soft or something because I didn't think it was all that scary. Unsettling at times, but I wouldn't say scary. To those who have read it, what'd you think of the ending? Was Marjorie really possessed?

biomieg
09-19-2015, 05:08 AM
Finished Simmons' first, Song of Kali - great book and a nice quick read! Now on to his second, Carrion Comfort. Can't wait :)

killjoy72
09-19-2015, 05:47 AM
Nifft The Lean by Michael Shea.

Stebbins
09-20-2015, 05:21 PM
http://www.sethroselife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/WaldenBook.jpg

frik
09-21-2015, 08:53 AM
Finished Simmons' first, Song of Kali - great book and a nice quick read! Now on to his second, Carrion Comfort. Can't wait :)

The book that made me fall in love with this author.
Still my #1 Simmons.
Enjoy, Michaël.

sk

fernandito
09-21-2015, 09:09 AM
3/4's of the way into Hyperion...

Bethany
09-21-2015, 09:33 AM
I read Go Set A Watchman yesterday. I don't think I've ever been so disgusted with a book in my life.

zelig
09-21-2015, 09:35 AM
I haven't read it yet and have tried to stay away from reading anything about it. Why were you disgusted? Not sure if you can answer that without revealing anything about the book.

webstar1000
09-21-2015, 09:48 AM

You like it?

Bethany
09-21-2015, 10:20 AM
I haven't read it yet and have tried to stay away from reading anything about it. Why were you disgusted? Not sure if you can answer that without revealing anything about the book.

Non-spoilery disgust, I don't think Lee wrote the book. I think the first section was probably part of her first draft but that is all. The style is not the same. To be honest, the majority of the book reads like a high school stream of consciousness essay. And everything that I hold dear and love about TKaM is systematically destroyed. I don't how much of the story has made it outside Alabama but there are very lively rumors going around that Lee is not mentally competent anymore and has been taken advantage of through all of this. As reprehensible as it is, financial gain I understand. Destroying the Finch family was completely uncalled for.

zelig
09-21-2015, 10:25 AM

Non-spoilery disgust, I don't think Lee wrote the book. I think the first section was probably part of her first draft but that is all. The style is not the same. To be honest, the majority of the book reads like a high school stream of consciousness essay. And everything that I hold dear and love about TKaM is systematically destroyed. I don't how much of the story has made it outside Alabama but there are very lively rumors going around that Lee is not mentally competent anymore and has been taken advantage of through all of this. As reprehensible as it is, financial gain I understand. Destroying the Finch family was completely uncalled for.

Wow that's very interesting and disheartening too. Everyone involved should have left well enough alone based on what you're saying.

fernandito
09-21-2015, 10:38 AM

You like it?

I love it.

Top 5 sci fi for sure.

goheat
09-21-2015, 11:31 AM

You like it?

I love it.

Top 5 sci fi for sure.

Amen! and I'm just about done with Fall of Hyperion, and it is awesome as well (and essential after reading Hyperion!)

Ricky
09-21-2015, 04:58 PM
Non-spoilery disgust, I don't think Lee wrote the book. I think the first section was probably part of her first draft but that is all. The style is not the same. To be honest, the majority of the book reads like a high school stream of consciousness essay. And everything that I hold dear and love about TKaM is systematically destroyed. I don't how much of the story has made it outside Alabama but there are very lively rumors going around that Lee is not mentally competent anymore and has been taken advantage of through all of this.

I was planning on reading it when it was announced, then I found out that Watchman is just basically a first draft of Mockingbird--they're just selling it as a sequel since it takes place after Mockingbird.

I've heard the rumors that HL is not mentally competent too, but I don't think we'll ever know what's that vs. old age vs. being taken advantage of.

zelig
09-21-2015, 05:10 PM
Non-spoilery disgust, I don't think Lee wrote the book. I think the first section was probably part of her first draft but that is all. The style is not the same. To be honest, the majority of the book reads like a high school stream of consciousness essay. And everything that I hold dear and love about TKaM is systematically destroyed. I don't how much of the story has made it outside Alabama but there are very lively rumors going around that Lee is not mentally competent anymore and has been taken advantage of through all of this.

I was planning on reading it when it was announced, then I found out that Watchman is just basically a first draft of Mockingbird--they're just selling it as a sequel since it takes place after Mockingbird.

I've heard the rumors that HL is not mentally competent too, but I don't think we'll ever know what's that vs. old age vs. being taken advantage of.

Is nothing sacred anymore. Why couldn't they have just leave it be with Mockingbird. Perhaps we will never know but I wonder how the Watchmen publication came to be.

Bethany
09-22-2015, 05:08 AM

There have supposedly been investigations by the state into her being exploited.

webstar1000
09-22-2015, 05:09 AM
Probably going to finish A Summers Night this evening... going to read A Winter Haunting next then Terror... would you all say stick to Dan and go to Hyperion?

frik
09-22-2015, 06:48 AM
Skip A Winter Haunting.
And definitely, go to Hyperion.
Simmons doesn't come much better.

sk

biomieg
09-22-2015, 06:49 AM
I really liked A Winter Haunting, I wouldn't skip it. One man's opinion, of course ;)

goheat
09-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Probably going to finish A Summers Night this evening... going to read A Winter Haunting next then Terror... would you all say stick to Dan and go to Hyperion?

You can't go wrong by starting Hyperion (and then follow it up with Fall of Hyperion)! I actually read Summer of Night as my first Simmons' a couple months ago, then decided to start chronologically, reading Song of Kali, Carrion Comfort, Phases of Gravity, then Hyperion and finishing up Fall of Hyperion now. To quote Stephen King, "I am in awe of Dan Simmons..."

zelig
09-22-2015, 08:37 AM

You can't go wrong by starting Hyperion (and then follow it up with Fall of Hyperion)! I actually read Summer of Night as my first Simmons' a couple months ago, then decided to start chronologically, reading Song of Kali, Carrion Comfort, Phases of Gravity, then Hyperion and finishing up Fall of Hyperion now. To quote Stephen King, "I am in awe of Dan Simmons..."

We should change the name of this thread to Dan Simmons! About a year ago I bought a collection of Simmons 1st editions. I've also known of his work since the early days, about 25 years ago. But I've never read any! There's always been too much to read and I never got around to it. So if I were to start, which book should I start with? Hyperion? I know there are many.

goheat
09-22-2015, 08:53 AM

We should change the name of this thread to Dan Simmons! About a year ago I bought a collection of Simmons 1st editions. I've also known of his work since the early days, about 25 years ago. But I've never read any! There's always been too much to read and I never got around to it. So if I were to start, which book should I start with? Hyperion? I know there are many.

Paul, I started with Summer of Night based on suggestions here that it was maybe more accessible then Hyperion, which is a very complex (but fantastic) series. After I read that and loved it, I read Song of Kali because I have this thing where I like to read authors' books in the order released. That's just me! Song of Kali, Carrion Comfort, Summer of Night are more 'horror' if you will, while Hyperion is closer to Sci-Fi, but I wouldn't pigeonhole his stuff into any one category.

So after that long-winded answer, I personally would recommend Song of Kali to start with and read them in order of release. Others may have different opinions. :tongue:

zelig
09-22-2015, 08:55 AM
I like to read books in order of release too. Thanks for your suggestions John. I may get started after I'm done with what I'm reading now.

Girlystevedave
09-24-2015, 09:02 AM

I am this close to being done with my reading of Summer of Night. I've got maybe 50 pages left. :)

divemaster
09-24-2015, 09:08 AM

There have supposedly been investigations by the state into her being exploited.

When this book was announced, the Washington Post ran an article about what is was likely to be. The author of the article seemed convinced (by his own research and reporting skills) that someone close to Lee had basically rifled through her old papers and came up with a bunch of first drafts, discarded materials, abandoned approaches, etc. from Mockingbird. This person, possibly aided and abetted by others, found some way to crib it all together and pass it off as a "new" book (or "long lost sequel") to Mockingbird that Lee wrote at some point in the past. Lee, now, is apparently so riddled with dementia (or at least, exhibiting severely diminished capacity) that she could either be manipulated into "releasing" the book, or bypassed altogether.

I was appalled to hear about how this "book" came to be, and the absolute greed that drove people to basically shit on Lee and her original creation.

webstar1000
09-24-2015, 09:24 AM

I am this close to being done with my reading of Summer of Night. I've got maybe 50 pages left. :)

ME too! I have 48 left. LOL So busy I cannot finish! Your score so far out of 10? Mine is a solid 8.

Girlystevedave
09-24-2015, 10:10 AM
I think I'd agree with a rating of 8/10 so far. I'm really liking it. :)

On another note, I picked up The Martian yesterday. I read a little bit of it last night.

Heather19
09-24-2015, 11:22 AM
Just finished that one Amanda. It was pretty good. I do wonder how the movie will turn out though. And I'm soooo happy you're enjoying Summer of Night :couple:

Girlystevedave
09-24-2015, 12:49 PM
Just finished that one Amanda. It was pretty good. I do wonder how the movie will turn out though. And I'm soooo happy you're enjoying Summer of Night :couple:

I am really enjoying Summer of Night. :)

goheat
09-25-2015, 05:09 AM
Finished Fall of Hyperion last night. All I can say is WOW. What a fantastic pair of books (Hyperion and Fall). As some have suggested, I'm going to read something else before hopping right in to Endymion. Think I'll read Revival now :wink:

frik
09-25-2015, 06:51 AM
http://subterraneanpress.com/uploads/Blue_World_by_Robert_McCammon.jpg

Awesome collection of short stories - and still available from SubPress!
Highly recommended!

sk

mae
09-25-2015, 06:55 AM
So is there a nice uniform hardcover edition of the Hyperion series? Y'all got me curious now...

WeDealInLead
09-25-2015, 07:37 PM
Nothing affordable or even in print. Hyperion first edition isn't cheap, Fall of Hyperion is cheaper and the last two books are $10 finds in your local used book store if you're lucky. I think those four original dust jackets with wraparound arftwork are much, much, muuuuch nicer than the recent reprints from Subterranean.

I think it was BOMC that issued the omnibus of the first two books called Hyperion Cantos. The only US editions that never go out of print are the mass-market paperback with the original artwork. That seems to be the cheapest option and the artwork does seem pretty uniform.

Reading: Dark Matter by Peter Straub, and Three Moments of an Explosion by China Mieville.

Ben Mears
09-27-2015, 07:02 AM

I am really enjoying Summer of Night. :)

If you don't plan to read A Winter Haunting after Summer Of Night then check out this link and read Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven in the October and November 2008 message from Dan at his website: http://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2008_10.html. It is an excellent coda to SON.

Lookwhoitis
09-28-2015, 07:09 AM
50 pages into The Martian and totally digging it!

zelig
09-28-2015, 07:36 AM

Let's see if you feel the same after the next 50 and the rest of the book.

webstar1000
09-28-2015, 07:41 AM

Let's see if you feel the same after the next 50 and the rest of the book.

lol. I am passing on this book. Too many people not liking it and I do not have a science background. lol ON the other hand though... really liking Winter Haunting so far from Dan Simmons... I really think I am just going to read all his stuff now... He is not SK to me but it's nice to have a new writer I enjoy so much to read:)

Ricky
09-28-2015, 08:33 AM
I generally love Sci-Fi, but the trailers for The Martian just don't interest me (to watch the film or read the book).

Ben Staad
09-28-2015, 08:49 AM
I was thinking of picking up Child of God by McCarthy. Any thoughts from anyone on this title?

Edit: Currently reading Gestapo Mars by Victor Gischler.

fernandito
09-28-2015, 08:52 AM
I generally love Sci-Fi, but the trailers for The Martian just don't interest me (to watch the film or read the book).

Same here, on both counts.

goheat
09-28-2015, 08:54 AM

Same here, on both counts.

Me too, although if I'd bought a signed copy of the book a year ago I think I could sell it for a profit on Ebay now! :tongue:

Tommy
09-28-2015, 09:30 AM
I was thinking of picking up Child of God by McCarthy. Any thoughts from anyone on this title?

My thought is that it is an exceptionally disturbing book. I read it one afternoon a few years back not knowing anything about the plot beforehand. It gave me that wonderful dread feeling in the pit of my stomach as it went along. If you've never read any of his books before, that is an OK place to start. It's very loosely based on Ed Gein.

Tommy
09-28-2015, 09:37 AM
I liked The Martian a lot. I do have a background in science but I honestly don't think someone without that would not enjoy it. The numbers and calculations all seem quite real, I'm not sure how much research Weir did but it feels authentic to me. The movie is going to be pretty big I think, currently polling at 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. There are a few things I didn't like about the book. The scenes with NASA away from the lead have some wooden dialogue and I'm far from being a prude but some of the profanity seems gratuitous in places. It is mostly written from the perspective of a NASA botanist/engineer so don't expect Moby Dick in the prose but other than that I think it has potential for being a classic.

zelig
09-28-2015, 09:54 AM
Just finished The Dead Zone. Realized that I had never read it! Loved it but sad ending. Definitely one of the best. Starting Firestarter now.

goheat
09-28-2015, 09:57 AM
Just finished The Dead Zone. Realized that I had never read it! Loved it but sad ending. Definitely one of the best. Starting Firestarter now.

My favorite SK novel of all time!

fernandito
09-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Does it follow the same premise as the film?

zelig
09-28-2015, 10:59 AM

My favorite SK novel of all time!

Yes, great book. As I'm reading and re-reading all of King's books I'm continually floored at how good they are. Sure, there's a few that haven't grabbed me, but just when you think you have a new favorite, you read another one and it becomes your new favorite.

Does it follow the same premise as the film?

Yes I would say so. I haven't seen the film in many years but from what I recall it's close to the book. The one difference I remember was the type of accident that Johnny warned his student about. Also I don't remember exactly how the movie ended so not sure if it was the same ending as the book. Such a sad ending though.

jsmcmullen92
09-28-2015, 11:03 AM
As I'm reading and re-reading all of King's books I'm continually floored at how good they are. Sure, there's a few that haven't grabbed me, but just when you think you have a new favorite, you read another one and it becomes your new favorite.

Have you read/re-read Under the Dome yet? I think that was my favorite later novel he has done. (I have not read MM or FK yet)

zelig
09-28-2015, 11:25 AM
As I'm reading and re-reading all of King's books I'm continually floored at how good they are. Sure, there's a few that haven't grabbed me, but just when you think you have a new favorite, you read another one and it becomes your new favorite.

Have you read/re-read Under the Dome yet? I think that was my favorite later novel he has done. (I have not read MM or FK yet)

Yes, I read UTD this year. Unfortunately I didn't really enjoy that book. I got through it but wasn't one of my favorites. You should read MM and FK. I enjoyed both but liked FK a lot more. One of my favorite King books is 11/22/63.

jsmcmullen92
09-28-2015, 12:28 PM

Yes, I read UTD this year. Unfortunately I didn't really enjoy that book. I got through it but wasn't one of my favorites. You should read MM and FK. I enjoyed both but liked FK a lot more. One of my favorite King books is 11/22/63.

I am currently reading TDT series for the first time (shhhh don't tell any one) but afterward I am thinking I am going to do some short books, EOTD, Dead Zone, Carrie... but I might swap over to a different author for awhile too. Hell who knows I may re read LOTR and the Hobbit. I want to wait for End of Watch before I start MM and FK so that I don't have to wait for the ending.

zelig
09-28-2015, 12:38 PM
That makes sense about waiting for End of Watch. I hadn't thought of that. I've been doing pretty much the same as you. Reading other authors in between. And don't feel too bad about only getting to TDT now. I read the entire series about a year and a half ago for the first time. I blazed through the books in just over a month. Absolutely loved them all. Favorites were Drawing and Wizard & Glass. I attempted LOTR a few months ago but it was a tough read for me. Slow going. Had to put it down and will pick it up again some time.

Ben Staad
09-28-2015, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the reply. I picked it up today at B&N. I have read both The Road and Blood Meridian (this one was tough) and liked them both.

My thought is that it is an exceptionally disturbing book. I read it one afternoon a few years back not knowing anything about the plot beforehand. It gave me that wonderful dread feeling in the pit of my stomach as it went along. If you've never read any of his books before, that is an OK place to start. It's very loosely based on Ed Gein.

Lookwhoitis
09-29-2015, 06:42 AM
Cormac McCarthy is a national treasure.

Lookwhoitis
09-29-2015, 07:00 AM
I finished The Martian in just over 30 hours. I literally coould not put it down (like the blurbs on the back of the book said)

I believe those who are passing on this GREAT book are just lazy readers. There is not that much inaccessible science in the book. I think that some readers are just susceptible to a common malady of our culture: disinterest in science. If we are not careful, these attitudes will bring about the extinction of our species (and many others).

To me, Astronauts have always been Heroes. I grew up and live and hour away from the Space Coast. I have seen many launches over the years and remember the day the Challenger blew up and I saw it in the sky, walking from class to class in high school. I think it is a great thing to celebrate Science and Space Travel and this book does so. Science is the Hero. A scientist is the Hero. Astronauts are Heroes. Great stuff.

I have a feeling the film adaptation of this source material is going to be a blockbuster. You see what we have here is what they call "high concept" in the film business, and what every Producer is looking for in a story. It is usually characterized as a combination of two highly successful screeplays/films that capture the mythic imagination of a large group of people in a new way with a single tagline or idea. (For example Alien was originally pitched as "Jaws in Space")

The high concept of The Martian is Apollo 13 meets Castaway. I think the film will be big, both critically acclaimed and Popular and do big box office.

But we all know that the meat of the story, the actual Science, is going to be most accessible in the written prose. The book is always better. They will dumb it down in the film adaptation for the masses.

I'm glad I took a chance to read this book and did not listen to the myriad of voices on this site that did NOT give it a chance.

My hypothesis is that they were wrong :)

Ben Staad
09-29-2015, 07:29 AM
I did read The Martian and did think it was fast paced and had an interesting plot. My main issue is that many of the characters had the same voice. The author has a number of things working but not that...this one thing made the book challenging for me. The technical aspects may be exciting for some however it didn't interest me or bother me.

Tommy
09-29-2015, 07:33 AM
Most science fiction is more fiction than science but The Martian feels more science than fiction to me and I think that might be what's turning people off. It kind of feels weird even calling it science fiction when compared to other examples of the genre.

fernandito
09-29-2015, 07:49 AM
I finished The Martian in just over 30 hours. I literally coould not put it down (like the blurbs on the back of the book said)

I believe those who are passing on this GREAT book are just lazy readers. There is not that much inaccessible science in the book. I think that some readers are just susceptible to a common malady of our culture: disinterest in science. If we are not careful, these attitudes will bring about the extinction of our species (and many others).

To me, Astronauts have always been Heroes. I grew up and live and hour away from the Space Coast. I have seen many launches over the years and remember the day the Challenger blew up and I saw it in the sky, walking from class to class in high school. I think it is a great thing to celebrate Science and Space Travel and this book does so. Science is the Hero. A scientist is the Hero. Astronauts are Heroes. Great stuff.

I have a feeling the film adaptation of this source material is going to be a blockbuster. You see what we have here is what they call "high concept" in the film business, and what every Producer is looking for in a story. It is usually characterized as a combination of two highly successful screeplays/films that capture the mythic imagination of a large group of people in a new way with a single tagline or idea. (For example Alien was originally pitched as "Jaws in Space")

The high concept of The Martian is Apollo 13 meets Castaway. I think the film will be big, both critically acclaimed and Popular and do big box office.

But we all know that the meat of the story, the actual Science, is going to be most accessible in the written prose. The book is always better. They will dumb it down in the film adaptation for the masses.

I'm glad I took a chance to read this book and did not listen to the myriad of voices on this site that did NOT give it a chance.

I don't think I'm a "lazy reader", for me the escapism aspect of novels is just too important. I read plenty of science related articles in my spare time, I just don't fancy a novel painstakingly detailing the photosynthesis cycle in space or w/e.

I'm sure it's a good novel, just not for me. Echoing Tommy's statement, the fiction aspect of sci-fi is what allures me the most.

Tommy
09-29-2015, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the reply. I picked it up today at B&N. I have read both The Road and Blood Meridian (this one was tough) and liked them both.

Blood Meridian gets better with rereads (I think it's his best book actually but that first read is difficult). I would also recommend Outer Dark, The Orchard Keeper and Suttree which is his funniest book. I've put off reading the Border Trilogy just because I want to have unread McCarthy around to anticipate.

Edit: And also, of course, No Country for Old Men, how could I have left that one off?!

Heather19
09-29-2015, 08:01 AM
I enjoyed The Martian. I too wouldn't really classify it as sci-fi though. I'm in the science field so I did enjoy the heavy science aspect of it, but I can see where that might deter other readers. That said, I did almost put the book down when literally maybe the first third of the book was him growing potatoes :lol: But once I got past that and other characters were brought into the story it definitely picked up pace. Plus I had to see if he would survive.

Stebbins
09-29-2015, 08:24 AM
http://thestudentreview.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/The-Alchemist.jpg

mae
09-29-2015, 08:52 AM
Speaking of The Martian, the movie appears to be getting very high early praise, even Best Picture rumblings...

fernandito
09-29-2015, 08:53 AM
It has a %93 Aggregate on RT, with a respectable 7.5/10 average.

I may catch it in theaters... not before Sicario though.

Mattrick
09-29-2015, 09:15 AM

PEOPLE WHO DON'T VALUE SCIENCE! VOTE IT UP!

http://thebiggestproblemintheuniverse.com/episode-62/

Girlystevedave
09-29-2015, 11:10 AM

The Dead Zone is one of my top 3 SK books.

zelig
09-29-2015, 11:20 AM

The Dead Zone is one of my top 3 SK books.

Right on. :thumbsup:

Ricky
09-29-2015, 12:42 PM
literally maybe the first third of the book was him growing potatoes :lol:

zelig
10-01-2015, 09:46 PM
Finished Firestarter in 3 days. Loved it. Reading Cujo now.

Mattrick
10-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Firestarter was a solid read. I was told I couldn't read Insomnia for my 8th grade book report because of the language near the beginning, but apparently governmental experimentations on a family which results in a girl who can light people on fire with her mind was totally fine. It was a solid book. The film adaptation was pretty decent as well. Rainbird was an awesome character.

zelig
10-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Firestarter was a solid read. I was told I couldn't read Insomnia for my 8th grade book report because of the language near the beginning, but apparently governmental experimentations on a family which results in a girl who can light people on fire with her mind was totally fine. It was a solid book. The film adaptation was pretty decent as well. Rainbird was an awesome character.

I want to watch the movie again as I've pretty much forgotten it all since I saw it last which was a long time ago. Will probably re-watch Firestarter and Cujo, when I'm done with Cujo.

And yes, Rainbird was really interesting. King is so good at creating this type of character. For some reason toward the end, Rainbird reminded me of Blaze.

Well, maybe just the part in the end, where he ends up loving Charlie, but in his own twisted way. Kind of like how Blaze loved the child he kidnapped (forgot the character's name.) Main difference though is that Blaze would not have harmed the child.

Girlystevedave
10-03-2015, 06:12 AM
Starman: The Truth Behind the Legend of Yuri Gagarin

webstar1000
10-03-2015, 06:17 AM
I'm really liking A Winter Haunting!!!

WeDealInLead
10-03-2015, 12:46 PM
The Martian - my problem with it has nothing to do with science which I found neither impenetrable nor intimidating. I didn't finish the book because the prose was stiff, the story lacked any tension and feel of true desperation that you'd think someone stranded would on Mars would display, and the ease with which he solved his issues. Running out of food? Here, grow these potatoes in Earth soil. Running out of water? Here, use this filtration system. Running out of air? Here, rig this thingamajig (sorry, the name escapes me, it's been a while since I flushed this book from memory). No working communications system? Here, jump in this rover and drive yourself to one.

That said, I'll watch the movie and I'm sure I'll love it. Damon will do a better job of putting me in the driver's seat/protagonist's head than Weir could.

"Yay!"

Reading: Charles L. Grant - The Last Call of Mourning.

frik
10-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Reading Cujo now.

One of my top-5 kingbooks: loved it.
So much more than a story about a dog infected with rabies.

sk

fernandito
10-04-2015, 11:03 AM
The Martian - my problem with it has nothing to do with science which I found neither impenetrable nor intimidating. I didn't finish the book because the prose was stiff, the story lacked any tension and feel of true desperation that you'd think someone stranded would on Mars would display, and the ease with which he solved his issues. Running out of food? Here, grow these potatoes in Earth soil. Running out of water? Here, use this filtration system. Running out of air? Here, rig this thingamajig (sorry, the name escapes me, it's been a while since I flushed this book from memory). No working communications system? Here, jump in this rover and drive yourself to one.

Thank you for helping reassure my decision to not read this.

And this is one of the biggest flaws being leveled at the novel across the web. Small wonder since by the author's own admission his central conceit was to write Macgyver in space.

zelig
10-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Reading Cujo now.

One of my top-5 kingbooks: loved it.
So much more than a story about a dog infected with rabies.

sk

I just finished Cujo. What can I say. What a heartbreaking story in so many ways. This is definitely one of my favorite King stories. And you're right, much more to it than what's on the surface. There are numerous messages about getting older and dealing with the prospect that you may end up being quite ordinary. This mostly comes from Donna. And of course, the other awful things that happen to the main characters. Sort of a pessimistic outlook on life, but at the same time, it's real... no sugar coating. Loved the book.

I think I will start Christine now.

Dan
10-06-2015, 04:12 PM
Almost through The Nestling by Charles Grant. I love classic Grant. After this I will move on to some of the Halloween suggestions from the other thread.

Mattrick
10-06-2015, 06:36 PM
I hated the Cujo film so I've kind of avoided the novel.

zelig
10-06-2015, 07:03 PM

I watched Cujo as a kid and I believe it was the reason I developed a fear of dogs for most of my adult life. I couldn't go near a dog without feeling terrified. Then about 4 years ago I had an experience that completely changed my perception and today I absolutely love dogs. Golden Retrievers are my favorite.

You should read the book though. Don't let the movie turn you off. I would have felt the same way about the Firestarter movie. The book is way way better. I generally don't even like to compare movie adaptations to the books because most times you simply cannot translate words on a page to film. Of course there are exceptions. Cujo was a great book. So was Firestarter. There are deeper messages in many of Kings novels that are lost in the movie adaptations.

webstar1000
10-07-2015, 03:47 AM

You NEED TO READ IT NOW... wow.. without sounding like a dick (cause we like a lot of the same shit) I am shocked you would avoid a book based on a movie. That seems like a silly/naive thing to say considering we all know how much better books are than the movie thats based of them.

webstar1000
10-07-2015, 03:49 AM
I did not hear many people other than Bob telling me to read A Winter Haunting... but I cannot put it down. I am almost done it in like three days. I really like it alot! Dan SImmons is QUICKLY coming to be my number 2 FAV author!!!

biomieg
10-07-2015, 04:04 AM
Yes, I really liked it too. Seems we're in the minority on this one! I'm getting pumped for Carrion Comfort now, I read a few pages a couple of weeks ago but did not feel ready to jump straight into another Simmons novel after finishing Song of Kali. Reading a very entertaining Tess Gerritsen novel right now, which I will probably finish today or tomorrow. Then... it's Mind Vampire time!

Girlystevedave
10-07-2015, 05:05 AM
There are deeper messages in many of Kings novels that are lost in the movie adaptations.

Indeed. :)
And, don't get me wrong, King's books have succeeded in scaring me multiple times, but it has always baffled me how he is so wrapped up in being the "King of Horror" when his stories are so much more than that.

jhanic
10-07-2015, 06:30 AM
Simmons is one of my favorite authors, but I REALLY did not like Winter Haunting. It just left be blah!

John

goheat
10-07-2015, 06:40 AM
I did not hear many people other than Bob telling me to read A Winter Haunting... but I cannot put it down. I am almost done it in like three days. I really like it alot! Dan SImmons is QUICKLY coming to be my number 2 FAV author!!!

That's what happened to me, Kris.

zelig
10-07-2015, 07:11 AM
There are deeper messages in many of Kings novels that are lost in the movie adaptations.

And, don't get me wrong, King's books have succeeded in scaring me multiple times, but it has always baffled me how he is so wrapped up in being the "King of Horror" when his stories are so much more than that.

I agree and I've often thought about this. He has had that persona, if that's the right word, in the mass media and in popular culture for so long now, but many of his books are simply not horror in my opinion. And it doesn't seem to bother him when interviewed and the topic comes up.

As I'm reading all of his books, some are re-reads and some for the first time, I'm so impressed with his writing and have become even more of a fan than I ever was if that's possible.

He has the ability to write these breathtaking, poetic passages that are so keenly honed to the nature of the human spirit. Part of the reason I find myself so emotionally attached to many of his stories and characters.

jsmcmullen92
10-07-2015, 07:59 AM

I agree and I've often thought about this. He has had that persona, if that's the right word, in the mass media and in popular culture for so long now, but many of his books are simply not horror in my opinion. And it doesn't seem to bother him when interviewed and the topic comes up.

As I'm reading all of his books, some are re-reads and some for the first time, I'm so impressed with his writing and have become even more of a fan than I ever was if that's possible.

He has the ability to write these breathtaking, poetic passages that are so keenly honed to the nature of the human spirit. Part of the reason I find myself so emotionally attached to many of his stories and characters.

I am reading Salem's Lot for the first time. I already know what Barlow is but it is still creeping me the hell out. I think in his early years (first 5 novels) at least, he was very prolific in the horror genre and they are creepy. Ever since it has just stuck with him and he just holds onto it.

Girlystevedave
10-07-2015, 08:00 AM

I sometimes wonder where that association with horror even comes from. I can't tell if it's based off of his early works or just films based off his books. I agree with you, though- I don't think of many of his books as horror. They're just damn good stories.
I especially agree with what you said about him being able to capture the human spirit so well. He is so good at breathing life into these characters and including so many details about them such as their past, their thoughts, what makes them tick, that they don't feel like characters at all. In fact, I think that's what is usually lacking when it comes to movies based off his books.
I can rarely ever read a book after seeing the movie, but with King, I can sometimes make that exception because I know, without a doubt, that there will be so many layers involved with the character/story.

Girlystevedave
10-07-2015, 08:04 AM
I am reading Salem's Lot for the first time. I already know what Barlow is but it is still creeping me the hell out. I think in his early years (first 5 novels) at least, he was very prolific in the horror genre and they are creepy. Ever since it has just stuck with him and he just holds onto it.

Salem's Lot was pretty creepy.
I can honestly say that The Shining was the scariest effing thing I'd ever read- and I thought I knew what to expect because I had seen the movie so many times. Wrong. :scared:

frik
10-07-2015, 08:31 AM

Cujo is a great novel.
Does NOT compare to the movie at all.
One of King's best.

sk

Mattrick
10-07-2015, 09:23 AM

You NEED TO READ IT NOW... wow.. without sounding like a dick (cause we like a lot of the same shit) I am shocked you would avoid a book based on a movie. That seems like a silly/naive thing to say considering we all know how much better books are than the movie thats based of them.

It's less avoiding, more putting off. I've read little Of King's earlier works.

webstar1000
10-07-2015, 09:36 AM

GET on it buddy! SOme of his best is the older stuff!!!

Heather19
10-07-2015, 10:48 AM
I have some of his earlier ones left to read too. I haven't read Cujo, Firestarter, or The Dead Zone.

zelig
10-07-2015, 11:04 AM
I have some of his earlier ones left to read too. I haven't read Cujo, Firestarter, or The Dead Zone.

I recently read those three and they were fantastic. They're all good solid novels. You really should read them.

Heather19
10-07-2015, 02:55 PM

I recently read those three and they were fantastic. They're all good solid novels. You really should read them.

I definitely plan too. It's just a matter of when. I also have Needful Things, was thinking of making that one my next King read.

Girlystevedave
10-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Ooh, yes. Needful Things is good.

webstar1000
10-08-2015, 03:31 AM
Ooh, yes. Needful Things is good.

LOVED Needful Things. I loved EVERY King book from the 80's and early 90's I think.

jsmcmullen92
10-08-2015, 04:26 AM

GET on it buddy! SOme of his best is the older stuff!!!

I have to concur... I stayed away from the older items thinking it would be a less mature writing style and be more difficult to read. I was pretty wrong. Is older items (pre the feminist era, I found those hard to read) are great!

zelig
10-08-2015, 06:41 AM
Still haven't read NF. Will be getting to it as part of my quest.

Ricky
10-08-2015, 06:44 AM
Needful Things is one of my favorites. Aside from the story itself, I really loved how many characters from other books appeared/were mentioned.

Mattrick
10-11-2015, 09:08 PM
You guys guilted me into borrowing Cujo from my friend.

Girlystevedave
10-12-2015, 05:07 AM
Yeah! Guilt-reading! :thumbsup:

zelig
10-12-2015, 07:13 AM
You guys guilted me into borrowing Cujo from my friend.

Good to hear you will read it finally. One of my favorites.

goheat
10-12-2015, 08:06 AM
Finished Revival by King (another winner), read a McCammon short story called White (creepy), now started The Hollow Man by Dan Simmons!

webstar1000
10-12-2015, 08:35 AM
Just finished a Winter Haunting... LOVED IT! Going on to then Terror now. Just decided to read everything Simmonds put out:)

frik
10-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Going on to then Terror now.

One of Simmons' best!
Can't think of a Simmons I enjoyed more in the past ten years or so.

sk

Ben Mears
10-12-2015, 01:06 PM
Just finished a Winter Haunting... LOVED IT! Going on to then Terror now. Just decided to read everything Simmonds put out:)

Before you do that read Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven on Dan's website. Here is the link: http://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2008_10.html. It is a great epilogue to Summer Of Night.

zelig
10-12-2015, 07:14 PM
Just finished Lisey's Story. Reading Pet Sematary now. Still have to get to Simmons at some point.

Mattrick
10-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Just finished Lisey's Story. Reading Pet Sematary now. Still have to get to Simmons at some point.

I was in the minority who liked Lisey's Story. What did you think of it?

zelig
10-12-2015, 07:53 PM

I must be in the minority too. Overall I liked it. I actually loved the first 3/4 or so of the book. Didn't much enjoy most of the rest of it after that, but I did like the ending. A heavy book because of the heart wrenching story of Landon's childhood. But yeah, I liked it.

frik
10-12-2015, 09:23 PM

LOVED Lisey's Story - It's King's favorite, and close to being mine as well.

sk

Mattrick
10-12-2015, 09:39 PM
It was obvious the novel was very personal to him, that the book was basically written to Tabitha, and that love really showed in the writing. I read LS and Duma Key back to back. I loved Duma Key. The only of his books to successfully creep me a lot. Even stuff like The Shining only got me a couple of times.

Heather19
10-13-2015, 04:41 AM

The Terror is one of my all time favorites :)

webstar1000
10-13-2015, 05:06 AM

Before you do that read Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven on Dan's website. Here is the link: http://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2008_10.html. It is a great epilogue to Summer Of Night.

VERY COOL.. reading now! Thanks!

Dan
10-13-2015, 06:44 AM
The Halloween Children by Brian James Freeman and Norman Prentiss.

jsmcmullen92
10-13-2015, 12:09 PM

Let me know how that is. I have it on my shelf and picked it up the other day as a quick read but got side tracked

Mattrick
10-13-2015, 03:44 PM
Just finished Catch-22. What a whirlwind of emotions in the final 70 pages. I would go from laughing my ass off to being creeped out to being assaulted with violent images to shaking my head to being moved to tears and left in the end with a renewed hope in the human spirit that is stained with a lasting image of dread. Simply a fantastic, fantastic novel. One of the best I've ever read.

zelig
10-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Just finished Catch-22. What a whirlwind of emotions in the final 70 pages. I would go from laughing my ass off to being creeped out to being assaulted with violent images to shaking my head to being moved to tears and left in the end with a renewed hope in the human spirit that is stained with a lasting image of dread. Simply a fantastic, fantastic novel. One of the best I've ever read.

Wow that's great. This is a novel I have been wanting to read for years and years. I must get around to it.

Tommy
10-14-2015, 02:47 AM

Seeing your post makes me want to drop everything I'm currently reading and reread Catch--22 for a third time. I absolutely adore that book!

webstar1000
10-14-2015, 06:29 AM
OMG The Terror... I CANNOT PUT IT DOWN. I came in late an hour to work because of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What an awesome book. I actually get cold reading it! lol

Dan
10-14-2015, 07:06 AM

Let me know how that is. I have it on my shelf and picked it up the other day as a quick read but got side tracked

Finished last night. It's the combination of interviews and diary entries. I liked it. It has that super creepy Brian Freeman style. I would be interested to know which parts are his and which are Norman Prentiss. Overall I would recommend it for a good Halloween read.

frik
10-14-2015, 07:43 AM
OMG The Terror... I CANNOT PUT IT DOWN. I came in late an hour to work because of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What an awesome book. I actually get cold reading it! lol

Yes!! Yes and Yes!!!

sk

Heather19
10-14-2015, 08:03 AM

fernandito
10-14-2015, 09:04 AM

Stop making me add more books to my To Read list! I already have an insane back log as it is! lol

zelig
10-14-2015, 09:10 AM

Stop making me add more books to my To Read list! I already have an insane back log as it is! lol

Yeah same problem here. Too much to read.

webstar1000
10-14-2015, 09:34 AM

Yeah me too... and I spend my weekend ATV'ing, parties, boating in the summer AND shows/movies and work all week. MAN I have no time.. and no kids. lol I read just before bed... but YOU HAVE TO read this book. What a F)&(^&*%'IN page turner!

Dan
10-14-2015, 10:15 AM

Yeah me too... and I spend my weekend ATV'ing, parties, boating in the summer AND shows/movies and work all week. MAN I have no time.. and no kids. lol I read just before bed... but YOU HAVE TO read this book. What a F)&(^&*%'IN page turner!

There is quite a bit in the news this past year regarding this expedition. I would have never found it interesting prior to reading this book.