PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

jhanic
01-09-2013, 12:29 PM
I finished a reread of The Mist and have moved on to my advance copy of Stephen Dobyns' The Burn Palace.

John

TwistedNadine
01-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Agreed Def cut from the same cloth

UTD
Jim Rennie reminds me of The Govna in The Walking Dead.

Girlystevedave
01-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Over halfway through my first read of Jane Eyre.

thegunslinger41
01-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Finishing Black House. Always loved this book. Next on my list is THE PROPHET by Michael Kyorta.... have it already downloaded to my IPOD.

:)

Dan
01-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Four Past Midnight

Ricky
01-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Finishing Black House. Always loved this book. Next on my list is THE PROPHET by Michael Kyorta.... have it already downloaded to my IPOD.

One of my favorite books of the year. I think you'll really enjoy it!

Ka-mai
01-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Rereading American Gods, although I may detour into Omnivore's Dilemma later. (I'm taking a class on food that touches on a lot of the subjects in that book.)

I'm in a rut recently where I only want to reread things I've read a zillion times, like ASOIAF. Even I feel like I read that too much. Every time I try to start something new, or something I at least read more than two years ago, my attention wanders. I can't seem to find anything that appeals to me.

alkanto
01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
That's awesome - I am also rereading American Gods. Which part are you up to?

Ka-mai
01-14-2013, 07:33 PM
They just rode the carousel and are at the meeting. You?

alkanto
01-14-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm a bit further - Shadow's in Lakeside and that girl he met on the bus just went missing

thegunslinger41
01-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Ok...just finished THE PROPHET by Michael Kyorta. Very, very good book. Enjoyed it immensly. Just started Robert Jordan's WHEEL OF TIME series. Don't know if i'll be able to finish the 12 volume mega opus magnus. Any thoughts on this series. I"m currently on book one.

Gabriel

WeDealInLead
01-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Those books I might listen to on audio. I'd never read them. I work with two guys who finished the series and are fans (and book lovers in their own right) but even they admit to books being tedious. Every time I'm book shopping, I'll pick them up and ask myself how much of that book ISN'T filler?

The few fantasy books I did read, I found to be tedious, over-written and just plain boring. I really don't want to read a full page describing a tree and a leaf falling (this really happened.)

alkanto
01-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Sorry to add more to your pile, but it's now a 14 volume epic, versus the 12 books Jordan had originally planned. On the upside, the 14th book was just published, so at least you won't have to catch up with anything if you choose to finish them.

Personally, I like the series, even if not every book is amazing within the series. It all depends on how you feel about the first few, really. If you don't like it now, you for sure won't like it later. For me, at least, the first ones are some of my favorites. But I do like them. I just haven't read the last 3 because I've been a bit busy working on a re-read of the earlier ones and keep getting distracted...

thegunslinger41
01-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Those books I might listen to on audio. I'd never read them. I work with two guys who finished the series and are fans (and book lovers in their own right) but even they admit to books being tedious. Every time I'm book shopping, I'll pick them up and ask myself how much of that book ISN'T filler?

The few fantasy books I did read, I found to be tedious, over-written and just plain boring. I really don't want to read a full page describing a tree and a leaf falling (this really happened.)

Haha...I agree with you there on your last point. So far i'm not too enthused about book 1. After reading the entire Sword of Truth series by Goodkind...and first two books by Patrick Rothfuss....and much earlier, LOTR..... I can't help but have a "this sounds like all filler" attitude as i'm reading book 1 of Wheel of Time. It just all seems so familiar.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnyhoo... Listening to this WHILE i'm working...so cant complain.

OchrisO
01-15-2013, 09:15 AM
I am reading This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong

WeDealInLead
01-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Just finished Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End. Started The Rise of the Governor by Jay Bonansinga & Robert Kirkman.

alkanto
01-15-2013, 04:20 PM
I am reading This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong

Let me know what you think. I LOVED it :D

Merlin1958
01-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Just finished "The Twelve" by Justin Cronin. Really enjoyed it. I'm thinking a re-read of "The Foundation" series may be next!!!

CRinVA
01-15-2013, 09:07 PM
I just started The Twelve on audio. On the second CD. Kind of weird right now. We'll see where it goes.

Jean
01-16-2013, 06:43 AM
reading: The Terror, by Simmons. Very good.

P.S. bears are still computerless

fernandito
01-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Oh great, another book that has been on my to read list for eternity that I need to get to ...

THX FOR THE REMINDER JEAN

sgc1999
01-16-2013, 08:57 AM
just finished the strain, and the fall, from Del Toro, and Hogan. loved them, still need to read night eternal.
Now im reading mountains of madness by you know who.

jhanic
01-16-2013, 09:59 AM

One of my favorites of Simmons' books. I also liked his Drood.

John

Dan
01-16-2013, 10:05 AM

One of my favorites of Simmons' books. I also liked his Drood.

John

I loved both of these books. Simmons is amazing at incorporating factual information and events into a fictional book. Because of Drood, I listened to Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. It is very well written and kept my interest throughout.

biomieg
01-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Coincidentally, I'm reading Children of the Night - my first Simmons book ever. I really like it so far!

Dan Simmons is one of those authors who does not seem to be popular around here at all. I really had a hard time finding a copy of one of his books.

jhanic
01-16-2013, 10:41 AM
To me, Simmons is a bit erratic in his books, in that some of them are very, very good, while others just aren't. His novel, Black Hills (I think that's the name of it) just wasn't that good at all, in my opinion. His first, Song of Kali, was magnificent.

John

Dan
01-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Black Hills was terrible. Summer of Night, A Winter Haunting, and Carrion Comfort are a few I've read recently that are very good. My first was Black Hills and I almost didn't read any others.

fernandito
01-16-2013, 11:11 AM
jesus U GUISE, stop talking about authors that I haven't read yet! My backlog is already monstrous as it --

Ah fine I'll make a Simmons book my next one :lol:

WeDealInLead
01-16-2013, 11:59 AM
I concur, skip Black Hills.

I'm in a minority here because I think his Hyperion Cantos is his best work. The scope of it with all the plots and sub-plots is INTENSE. I think he put more into these books because at heart he seems to be a S.F. guy, through and through. He constantly posts about space stuff on his forum. Of course, if he were here, he'd call me an idiot and tell me he puts everything in every book.

They're demanding books but the pay-off is well worth it. The hardest one to get into is the first one, titled Hyperion. It's plotted almost the same way as It: each character tells a story while the main action is in the present. All the individual stories aren't just background information, you truly get to know the characters. The villain (one of them) is The Shrike, creature covered with blades that moves through space and time.

If I ever had to make an all-time top 10 S.F. list, Hyperion Cantos would take up 4 spots.

WeDealInLead
01-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Dean Koontz - Dragon Tears (still), Mr. Murder
Jay Bonansinga & Robert Kirkman - The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury
Robert Silverberg - Sundance

Ka-mai
01-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Really? I thought Hyperion was much better than Fall of Hyperion. I was going to read the Endymion books, but my boyfriend said they were hard to get through and went forever, so I didn't. Unless someone here wants to talk me into it. :P

sgc1999
01-18-2013, 07:11 AM
Carrion comfort was fantastic. Up there with some of Kings best.
some of his other stuff I couldn't even get through.

fernandito
01-18-2013, 07:42 AM
I've always wanted to read Hyperion because of that awesome cover with the guy covered in blades lol.

I love dense sci-fi stories. How many books are in that series?

WeDealInLead
01-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Four books. You could stop at the second book if you wanted to.

jhanic
01-18-2013, 01:28 PM
I've finished Dobyns' The Burn Palace and am on a reread of The Wind Through the Keyhole.

John

mae
01-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Re-read? I'm still struggling through the first time.

alkanto
01-18-2013, 08:56 PM
I did, too....

Just started Anansi Boys, but so far I don't love it nearly as much as American Gods. I find Fat Charlie to be a bit annoying so far. We'll see....

Melike
01-19-2013, 11:58 AM
I did, too....

Just started Anansi Boys, but so far I don't love it nearly as much as American Gods. I find Fat Charlie to be a bit annoying so far. We'll see....

Everyone said to me that they'd loved Anansi Boys much more. So my expectations were so high. I do not even compare two. Anansi Boys are an enjoyable read but American Gods are so rich with many amazing characters and philosophy. American Gods is my favorite Neil Gaiman book... As long as I know you, I think you will be loving American Gods more. I guess you like Shadow, too.

alkanto
01-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Oh, I adore Shadow! He is one of my favorite characters out of books I've read recently.

RolandLover
01-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn which as a good twisted story. Now almost finished her first book Sharp Objects which is a dark sick twisted story! Good books!

Merlin1958
01-19-2013, 04:06 PM
I just started The Twelve on audio. On the second CD. Kind of weird right now. We'll see where it goes.

Haxing recently finished "The Twelve". I would think it would be a bit of a bitch on Audio.

jhanic
01-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Re-read? I'm still struggling through the first time.

This is my third or fourth reread. I really enjoy this one!

John

fernandito
01-20-2013, 04:32 PM
I did, too....

Everyone said to me that they'd loved Anansi Boys much more. So my expectations were so high. I do not even compare two. Anansi Boys are an enjoyable read but American Gods are so rich with many amazing characters and philosophy. American Gods is my favorite Neil Gaiman book... As long as I know you, I think you will be loving American Gods more. I guess you like Shadow, too.

have you read The Graveyard Book?

alkanto
01-20-2013, 04:42 PM
I have. I liked it lots.

OchrisO
01-20-2013, 05:04 PM

Let me know what you think. I LOVED it :D

I am progressing slowly because I have been really busy lately, but I am loving what I have read as much as I did the first book.......which it to say: a lot.

TwistedNadine
01-21-2013, 08:19 AM
NOS4A2 Joe Hill Took a little bit to get going but now liking it.

WeDealInLead
01-21-2013, 10:20 AM
NOS4A2 Joe Hill Took a little bit to get going but now liking it.

That's what I'm hearing too. Hopefully I'll like it more than Horns. If not, that'll mean he's getting progressively worse in my eyes.

I've been on a S.F. kick: Clarke's Childhood's End, just finished Asimov's Pebble in the Sky and am about to start The Drawing of the Dark by Tim Powers. Dune is next after that.

Melike
01-21-2013, 01:48 PM
I did, too....

have you read The Graveyard Book?

I like The Graveyard Book like everything Gaiman wrote. My favorite of him is American Gods. I think the only Neil Gaiman I left unread is Sandman. After my Dark Tower re-read I will give it a try... What do you think?

fernandito
01-21-2013, 04:06 PM
I like The Graveyard Book like everything Gaiman wrote. My favorite of him is American Gods. I think the only Neil Gaiman I left unread is Sandman. After my Dark Tower re-read I will give it a try... What do you think?

:lol:, should have figured you had Graveyard Book under your belt already!

The Sandman is his most complete work, and my personal favorite with American Gods nipping at it's heels. If rumors are to be believed he's working on a follow up to the series so now would be as good a time as ever to hop on board. You are aware however that is is a graphic novel series, correct?

alkanto
01-21-2013, 04:24 PM
I would so love to get into The Sandman stuff, but graphic novels are so damn expensive! Any suggestions as to how one might obtain them cheaply? Because for as much time as I spend actually reading, it's just not a good idea to spend that much.

WeDealInLead
01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Library.

pathoftheturtle
01-21-2013, 04:36 PM
A few ideas -
1. Some public libraries have some of the Sandman volumes.
2. There's a chance you could still find the single issue reprints Vertigo did for cheap; look in the back issue bins at your local comic store. (Possibly under "S" for Sandman, "V" for Vertigo, or "E" for "Essential Vertigo") http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Essential_Vertigo:_Sandman_Vol_1
3. Discounts on the collection volumes (called the "graphic novels" by some) by joining science fiction book club.
4. Best condition used through eBay or Amazon.

alkanto
01-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Library.

Yeah, I don't use the library :lol: I have this issue where I don't like to give books back/I don't know what other people do with the books when they have them. Once got a book there that had a used bandaid in it. Never again...*shudders*

Ricky
01-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Just started Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Time to see what all the hype's about. It's really good so far.

OchrisO
01-21-2013, 06:31 PM

The Sandman is his most complete work, and my personal favorite with American Gods nipping at it's heels. If rumors are to be believed he's working on a follow up to the series so now would be as good a time as ever to hop on board. You are aware however that is is a graphic novel series, correct?

Not a rumor, but it is a prequel to explain why Morpheus is so weak at the beginning and where he was.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/neil-gaiman-writing-sandman-prequel-new-novel-five,82448/

He announces it in the video on that link.

Melike
01-22-2013, 01:01 AM

I know. Isn't it great! I have seen lots of pictures from it, amazing art from such legend artists. Not even mentioning Dave McKean.

I would so love to get into The Sandman stuff, but graphic novels are so damn expensive! Any suggestions as to how one might obtain them cheaply? Because for as much time as I spend actually reading, it's just not a good idea to spend that much.

Graphic Novels are rare here. Rarely translated. It feels bad when you have to pay for international shipment more than you pay for the book itself.

DoctorDodge
01-22-2013, 01:54 AM
Yeah, started it a while back, but I think I need to sort out some time to properly read it. Only read the first couple of chapters of the first volume. From everything I've heard, it sounds like a true epic in 10 volumes.

noal
01-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Just started Rough Crossings by Simon Schama.

I enjoyed his History of Britain so I hope I enjoy this too.

Ruthful
01-22-2013, 06:22 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VsOOFXOWIvk/TIWEfnqTcBI/AAAAAAAADpo/VXYe6cyGwHs/s1600/Hitch-22-Book.jpg

thegunslinger41
01-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Definitely have to re-read Wind Through Keyhole. Listened to it originally, and it definitely not the same.

Anyhoo...currently listening to Dan Simmons "THE TERROR." So far it's good...anyone read this? Opinions? (without spoilers)

Thanks.

G

Jean
01-24-2013, 08:08 AM
I am reading it now, it's awesomeness incarnate!!

Dan
01-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Definitely have to re-read Wind Through Keyhole. Listened to it originally, and it definitely not the same.

Anyhoo...currently listening to Dan Simmons "THE TERROR." So far it's good...anyone read this? Opinions? (without spoilers)

Thanks.

G

The Terror is very good. Dan Simmons is a genius at writing historical fiction.

WeDealInLead
01-24-2013, 10:37 AM

Thanks.

G

I haven't read it yet but I'll get to it eventually. I wouldn't bother with the audio book though. It's an abridged version with about 2/3 of the book left out.

jhanic
01-24-2013, 11:34 AM
The Terror, along with his Drood, are among my favorite Simmons books. The Terror is great!

John

Jean
01-24-2013, 11:36 AM
totally

I don't want it to ever end
(luckily, it doesn't seem like it ever will)

Ruthful
01-24-2013, 06:03 PM
http://img1.imagesbn.com/p/9781451663914_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

thegunslinger41
01-25-2013, 10:22 AM
totally

I don't want it to ever end
(luckily, it doesn't seem like it ever will)

Bahahahha...too funny. Finished it today. Really liked it. Second Dan Simmons book i should read?? I have Children of the Night in my iPOD already... DROOD??

Next book i'm reading (just started) is Neil Gaimann's Anasi Boys. Thoughts?

Gabriel

Dan
01-25-2013, 10:24 AM
I loved Drood, but I'm also a huge fan of Charles Dickens.

Jean
01-25-2013, 10:37 AM
I loved Drood, but I'm also a huge fan of Charles Dickens.bears too!! and I can't start Drood after The Terror, because The Mystery of Edwin Drood is one of the VERY few Dickens' novels I haven't read yet!

: bangs head against wall :

though, on the other hand, I can read Dickens right after I finish The Terror... what a good idea... now if only I can find it in downloadable format

ETA: found it on Project Gutenberg!!

Dan
01-25-2013, 10:40 AM
I loved Drood, but I'm also a huge fan of Charles Dickens.bears too!! and I can't start Drood after The Terror, because The Mystery of Edwin Drood is one of the VERY few Dickens' novels I haven't read yet!

: bangs head against wall :

though, on the other hand, I can read Dickens right after I finish The Terror... what a good idea... now if only I can find it in downloadable format

I have not read Dickens' Edwin Drood, but thoroughly enjoyed Simmons' Drood.

I hesitate reading Edwin Drood because it was never actually finished. I think it would drive me crazy.

Jean
01-25-2013, 10:41 AM
yes, but bears have nothing to lose in this respect

Brice
01-25-2013, 10:53 AM

Thanks.

G

I haven't read it yet but I'll get to it eventually. I wouldn't bother with the audio book though. It's an abridged version with about 2/3 of the book left out.

Cool! Though I normally hate abridgements. I found this book could have/should have been MUCH shorter. In fact I got about two thirds in and gave up on it. And I like most of what I've read by him...some of it I love.

Jean
01-25-2013, 10:57 AM
I don't know if I will feel the same when I am two thirds in, but at 55% I just can't get enough.

WeDealInLead
01-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Jean, if you like Simmons, check out Tim Powers and Gene Wolfe. Both are absolutely fantastic.

Reading: Koontz - Dragon Tears, Tim Powers - The Drawing of the Dark, Haruki Murikami - 1Q84

Brice
01-25-2013, 11:03 AM
I am just shocked to learn there are Dicken's stories bears haven't read.

Jean
01-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Jean, if you like Simmons, check out Tim Powers and Gene Wolfe. Both are absolutely fantastic. Thank you! I will! Now with my Kindle I feel like a kid whose parents suddenly won a million dollars, took him to toy megastore and said, "have all you want!"

... and added: "You don't have to hurry. You don't even have to choose. You can have everything."

bears themselves are shocked! To shock us both deeper, they haven't read The Tale of Two Cities, either. Or Hard Times.

Brice
01-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Jean, if you like Simmons, check out Tim Powers and Gene Wolfe. Both are absolutely fantastic. Thank you! I will! Now with my Kindle I feel like a kid whose parents suddenly won a million dollars, took him to toy megastore and said, "have all you want!"

... and added: "You don't have to hurry. You don't even have to choose. You can have everything."

bears themselves are shocked! To shock us both deeper, they haven't read The Tale of Two Cities, either. Or Hard Times.

Go! Read NOW! I'm pretty sure I finished all of Dicken's stories back in elementary school. There are some I like more or less, but none I don't love.

Jean
01-25-2013, 11:16 AM
YES, NOW!

oh God please don't let me die too soon! there's such a lot of books I want to read NOW!..

There are some I like more or less, but none I don't love.this is soooooooo right...

Brice
01-25-2013, 11:17 AM
I've decided not to die until I finish EVERY book. :D

Jean
01-25-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm in.

Brice
01-25-2013, 11:19 AM
:couple:

Dan
01-25-2013, 11:21 AM
I've decided not to die until I finish EVERY book. :D

:biggrin1:

WeDealInLead
01-25-2013, 11:24 AM

I have only read a few by each author so I'm not authority on them but I'll say this: Hide Me among the Graves took me 3 months to read. It's a loose sequel to Stress of her Regard but I found that out afterwards and I don't think I missed anything. Powers has that ability to transport you right where the story is if you go slow at it and don't skim. Each sentence has an image in it. I'm not good with words so I can't describe it well. It's a vampire book (more or less, don't let that scare you) set in Victorian England (don't let that scare you either) but it reads like someone from that era wrote it, not someone who researched that era and then wrote about it. Or at least someone who time-travelled there. It's very convincing.

Jean
01-25-2013, 11:35 AM
I have only read a few by each author so I'm not authority on them but I'll say this: Hide Me among the Graves took me 3 months to read. It's a loose sequel to Stress of her Regard but I found that out afterwards and I don't think I missed anything. Powers has that ability to transport you right where the story is if you go slow at it and don't skim. Each sentence has an image in it. I'm not good with words so I can't describe it well. It's a vampire book (more or less, don't let that scare you) set in Victorian England (don't let that scare you either) but it reads like someone from that era wrote it, not someone who researched that era and then wrote about it. Or at least someone who time-travelled there. It's very convincing.I think you've described it perfectly. At least bears really really want to read it NOW.
I want to be able to sleep with only half a brain, like a dolphin, then I can read nonstop. Why aren't bears made this way?..

RainInSpain
01-25-2013, 12:49 PM
I want to be able to sleep with only half a brain, like a dolphin, then I can read nonstop. Why aren't bears made this way?..

Me too. :sigh:
(Can't really add anything meaningful to the topic of discussion - have been reading only the January issue of Forbes Russia for the entire week, and still have not finished it. No time at all!)

Jean
01-25-2013, 12:55 PM
understandable...

pathoftheturtle
01-25-2013, 03:30 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m52oo86acm1qg9t56o1_500.gif

Brice
01-25-2013, 03:31 PM
yes

Stebbins
01-26-2013, 10:23 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-T1iNP7pDtMo/T1Ea5ouAG3I/AAAAAAAAEBo/N3mt2tdnWIE/s1600/nightshift.gif

Three stories in. I loved the introduction by one of King's (and my own) influences, John D. MacDonald. I also enjoyed King's forward as well.

mae
01-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Did someone call me? :unsure:

Stebbins, if this is your first time reading Night Shift, you're in for a treat. No-nonsense no-excuses horror stories. True classics of the genre.

Stebbins
01-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Lol, I didn't even know where that picture was from till right now.

It is my first time reading NS, I'm looking forward to the rest of it :smile:

Ruthful
01-26-2013, 03:14 PM
http://www.almaclassics.com/images/books/700_large.jpg

sgc1999
01-26-2013, 04:10 PM
World War Z

Dan
01-26-2013, 04:45 PM
The Horror Hall of Fame: The Stoker Winners

mae
01-26-2013, 06:17 PM
http://www.almaclassics.com/images/books/700_large.jpg

Nice.

RolandLover
01-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Just finished reading Gillian Flynn's 2nd book Dark Places! Very good murder mystery!

Stebbins
01-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Update: Just finished "The Boogeyman" story in Night Shift. This story contains a therapist named Dr. Harper; my favorite story I have written thus far is about a therapist named Dr. Harper!! That shit bugged me out, I just had to share it.

thegunslinger41
01-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Ok...a few things.....

1/3 of the way into Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys....and I had to stop. Just couldn't get into it.

Started a new one by David Levithan titled EVERY DAY. Interesting so far. A bit juvenile, but definitely a compelling premise.

Anyone ever read Stephanie Meyer's THE HOST??? Didn't much care for twilight crap...but this book is a stand-alone, adult, awesome book, IMO.

thoughts?

G

TwistedNadine
01-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Absolutely

Did someone call me? :unsure:

Stebbins, if this is your first time reading Night Shift, you're in for a treat. No-nonsense no-excuses horror stories. True classics of the genre.

alkanto
01-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Ok...a few things.....

1/3 of the way into Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys....and I had to stop. Just couldn't get into it.

Started a new one by David Levithan titled EVERY DAY. Interesting so far. A bit juvenile, but definitely a compelling premise.

Anyone ever read Stephanie Meyer's THE HOST??? Didn't much care for twilight crap...but this book is a stand-alone, adult, awesome book, IMO.

thoughts?

G

Glad to see someone else didn't like Anansi Boys. Have you read anything else by Gaiman? And, out of curiosity, what was your main problem with the book?

Roland of Gilead 33
01-30-2013, 05:13 PM
i started "Under the dome' the other night and i'm only on like page 57 so far. so i'm not that far into it. i hope it's a good one and that i can get around to actually damn finish it this time. this is so far the fartherst i've got into the book so far! he he

Dan
01-30-2013, 07:01 PM
UTD is one of my favorites! Stick with it!

Roland of Gilead 33
01-30-2013, 07:20 PM
i hope i do. but it just seems lately that i can start a book no matter how good a book is an than lose interest for some strange reason. i dunno why to be honest. i am curious how they will do the what tv series/ or mini-series that'll air in the summer

WeDealInLead
01-31-2013, 06:18 AM
Dean Koontz - Odd Thomas
Isaac Asimov & Harlan Ellison - I, Robot Illustrated Screenplay

Jean
01-31-2013, 06:41 AM
Dean Koontz - Odd Thomashttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

WeDealInLead
01-31-2013, 06:48 AM
I like it a lot. I've already read one before I knew it wasn't the first Odd book. It was the one with Odd sitting on a bench on the cover.

Jean
01-31-2013, 06:52 AM
I am planning to read all of them; so far have read only the first. Loved it.

Girlystevedave
01-31-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm about halfway through SK's Firestarter.
It's good. I mean, it's Stephen King. But I'm just not hooked on it or anything.

Jean
01-31-2013, 09:19 AM
: nods :

Girlystevedave
01-31-2013, 10:20 AM
Has anyone in here read Life of Pi ? I read it recently and absolutely loved it.

Jean
01-31-2013, 11:18 AM
saw it yesterday in our bookstore, think I will be looking for a kindle version. It really looked interesting

Girlystevedave
01-31-2013, 12:04 PM
I really really enjoyed it. It's a beautiful story that really lingers with you once you finish the book.

Melike
01-31-2013, 02:05 PM
I really really enjoyed it. It's a beautiful story that really lingers with you once you finish the book.

It is. Not in my top list but I like this book. I am in love with Richard Parker.

Stebbins
01-31-2013, 03:37 PM

I didn't even know it was a book until about twenty minutes ago when I saw you talking about it :scared:

Ruthful
01-31-2013, 11:32 PM
http://www.elms.edu/Images/shared/Events/mostwanted.jpg

thegunslinger41
02-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Ok...a few things.....

thoughts?

G

Glad to see someone else didn't like Anansi Boys. Have you read anything else by Gaiman? And, out of curiosity, what was your main problem with the book?

My first ready by Gaiman (other than some of his comic book stuff). Main problem with the book for me was that it just seemed kinda slow. Every potential for building drama or conflict seemed to fizz out, in my opinion. Had a hard time connecting with the characters (maybe because this was set in the UK or something). I must say that I listened to it on my IPOD and the narrator had a british//jamaican accent. (i'm assuming the main character was black). I dunno..was just turned off. I ended up reading more of the synopsis from wikipedia and got the impression that the story wasn't gonna get better. When I read the brief summary description it basically said that the book was about a normal guy who does normal things...but then meets his estranged brother and things get EXCITING! ---not really). I guess I just had high expectations. Looking forward to reading American Gods. Will have no expectations whatsoever for that one. SURPRISE ME NEIL!

OchrisO
02-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Ok...a few things.....

thoughts?

G

My first ready by Gaiman (other than some of his comic book stuff). Main problem with the book for me was that it just seemed kinda slow. Every potential for building drama or conflict seemed to fizz out, in my opinion. Had a hard time connecting with the characters (maybe because this was set in the UK or something). I must say that I listened to it on my IPOD and the narrator had a british//jamaican accent. (i'm assuming the main character was black). I dunno..was just turned off. I ended up reading more of the synopsis from wikipedia and got the impression that the story wasn't gonna get better. When I read the brief summary description it basically said that the book was about a normal guy who does normal things...but then meets his estranged brother and things get EXCITING! ---not really). I guess I just had high expectations. Looking forward to reading American Gods. Will have no expectations whatsoever for that one. SURPRISE ME NEIL!

Anasi Boys isn't amazing, but I liked it. I am of the opinion that Anansi Boys reads much better if you read it after American Gods, because Anansi is in American Gods and Anansi Boys was sort of a spin off of it.

DoctorDodge
02-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Anansi Boys I enjoyed considerably because it wasn't meant to be an epic story, it was more of an English black comedy mixed in with fantasy elements. I can see why some wouldn't like it, especially since the humour is more of an acquired taste. I actually read Anansi Boys before American Gods, but enjoyed Anansi Boys more. I connected with the characters of AB a lot more than AG, really. I think the humour definitely helped.

alkanto
02-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Ok...a few things.....

thoughts?

G

Anasi Boys isn't amazing, but I liked it. I am of the opinion that Anansi Boys reads much better if you read it after American Gods, because Anansi is in American Gods and Anansi Boys was sort of a spin off of it.

hate to throw off your theory, but I actually really wish I would have read it before American Gods...or at least not directly following it. I was so pumped up about AG, then AB not follow through. There was no urgency to it. it wasn't funny. And what was the issue? I mean...it sounds awful, but the issue was that Charlie was losing his fiancee to his brother, Spider? She liked him better, anyways. And the other plot with the business extortion did not interest me at all. I just couldn't connect with Fat Charlie, for various reasons I don't know if I should divulge here, but he just annoyed the crap out of me the entire time.

OchrisO
02-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Ok...a few things.....

thoughts?

G

hate to throw off your theory, but I actually really wish I would have read it before American Gods...or at least not directly following it. I was so pumped up about AG, then AB not follow through. There was no urgency to it. it wasn't funny. And what was the issue? I mean...it sounds awful, but the issue was that Charlie was losing his fiancee to his brother, Spider? She liked him better, anyways. And the other plot with the business extortion did not interest me at all. I just couldn't connect with Fat Charlie, for various reasons I don't know if I should divulge here, but he just annoyed the crap out of me the entire time.

I can see that. I think I just liked it better because I knew some stuff about Anansi going in.
It is my least favorite of Gaiman's books, but I would probably still put it above quite a few other books I have read.

fernandito
02-01-2013, 10:02 AM
About 100 pages left til I wrap up Barker's The Damnation Game.

It started off really, really good, and then it lost steam as it went on. It's his first novel and it shows, it has some horrible pacing issues.

WeDealInLead
02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Robert McCammon - Bethany's Sin

DoctorDodge
02-01-2013, 12:59 PM

Yeah, I do think it's very British humour can be off-putting if that's not your kind of thing. A number of truly great British comedies have main characters that aren't at all likable, but are funny to laugh at, at least. It's very much a comedy of errors, where a man keeps making mistake after mistake that simply gets worse and worse. The genre only shifts because he's stupid enough to make mistakes that involved gods and becomes more serious towards the end. Like I said, I loved it, but like many of my favourite comedies, like The Office (UK) and Withnail & I, it's definitely not for everyone. Really thinking about it, I think Anansi Boys is a great contrast to American Gods, in that aspect: both are unique takes on the conflict between ancient Gods and modern life, only AG was very American in its take whereas AB was very British.

Stebbins
02-01-2013, 01:12 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_voN8wRn4xvA/Sw9GNnBQfOI/AAAAAAAAADI/_yO7raab5y0/s1600/how+to+argue+%26+win+every+time.jpg

Reading this in conjunction with Night Shift. Very good book, not just for arguing/debating, but also for how to fully express one's self.

DoctorDodge
02-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Now that's definitely a book I could use. (Although a book on talking in general might be more beneficial to me, really. :D)

alkanto
02-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Yes, I understand that the humor is British. But the deal is...all those things you referenced as classic British humor? I like those. Which is why it's even more perplexing.

I do appreciate the comparison drawn between the American/British-ness of the books, though. I liked AG so much better this reading, and I think it may have to do with the fact that I've now been to England and decided it's not for me...maybe that has solidified my American...ness? Who knows.

Stebbins
02-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Now that's definitely a book I could use. (Although a book on talking in general might be more beneficial to me, really. :D)

:lol:

Alkanto: yay 'emurica!

DoctorDodge
02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
I do appreciate the comparison drawn between the American/British-ness of the books, though. I liked AG so much better this reading, and I think it may have to do with the fact that I've now been to England and decided it's not for me...maybe that has solidified my American...ness? Who knows.

Probably has something to do with it. Like I said, I don't find AB as hysterical as my favourite comedies, but I do love its dry and occasional surreal moment of humour.

I do love novels that really explore America, though. American Gods, The Stand, even Judge Dredd: America - anything that explores America in any way, its culture, and especially the American Dream and whether it really exists, I love all that stuff. Couldn't live in America, but it's sheer size and history makes it a great subject for stories. That's why so many British writers, especially comic book writers, set so many of their stories over there, I think (well, that and the money, of course. ;))- even our biggest British comic over here is essentially both a satire and a commentary on America.

Stebbins
02-02-2013, 02:10 PM
I read it over winter break, but what did you guys think of Cell? I loved it; my favorite modern King novel I have come across so far. SK definitely knows how to write an apocalyptic thriller IMHO.

OchrisO
02-02-2013, 02:12 PM
I read it over winter break, but what did you guys think of Cell? I loved it; my favorite modern King novel I have come across so far. SK definitely knows how to write an apocalyptic thriller IMHO.

I am of the opinion that it is a great book with one of the worst endings I have ever read.

Stebbins
02-02-2013, 02:21 PM

I am of the opinion that it is a great book with one of the worst endings I have ever read.

Really, why did you dislike it so much? Just curious. I found it predictable, but when you're familiar with an author there's usually only 2 or 3 ways a story can go.

pathoftheturtle
02-02-2013, 02:57 PM
I liked the ending well enough, but it's a rather mediocre and predictable book overall. I knew before that SK knows how to write an apocalyptic thriller; he stayed within his comfort zone. Self-derivativeness is one of his occasional flaws.

John Blaze
02-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Fuck Cell. Worst SK book ever.

OchrisO
02-02-2013, 05:55 PM

Really, why did you dislike it so much? Just curious. I found it predictable, but when you're familiar with an author there's usually only 2 or 3 ways a story can go.

Meh. It just really pissed me off that you don't find out what happens with Johnny at all. I'm OK with some degree of unanswered questions, but that was a bit much, IMO. I often find myself at least a tiny bit disappointed with King's endings, though.

Dan
02-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Reading Zombies Vs Robots: This Means War! Also listening to The Twelve (re-read).

Stebbins
02-02-2013, 06:18 PM

Meh. It just really pissed me off that you don't find out what happens with Johnny at all. I'm OK with some degree of unanswered questions, but that was a bit much, IMO. I often find myself at least a tiny bit disappointed with King's endings, though.

Yeah well I mean the resolution was going to be live, die, or leave it ambiguous/hanging. I thought it was going down like it did though. I wouldn't call it mediocre.

John Blaze: No. Way.

John Blaze
02-02-2013, 08:02 PM
I've been saying that since it was released. Sorry, but it's definitely, in my eyes, his worst book. I feel like he stepped into a genre he didn't understand and just ass raped it. I bet it's kinda how he feels about Stephanie Meyer and her vampire books.

That being said, The Stand is my very favorite King book, and one of the best post-apocalyptic stories ever written, imo.

Stebbins
02-02-2013, 08:10 PM
I've been saying that since it was released. Sorry, but it's definitely, in my eyes, his worst book. I feel like he stepped into a genre he didn't understand and just ass raped it. I bet it's kinda how he feels about Stephanie Meyer and her vampire books.

That being said, The Stand is my very favorite King book, and one of the best post-apocalyptic stories ever written, imo.

So by genre you just (read: strictly) mean zombies? It reminded me very much of The Stand (which is top three of his stand-alones, for me). I thought Ridell was creative enough to see things openly like King's best protagonists, but he wasn't the worn writer so he had a better veil. I thought the way he had zombie's operate was a very innovative and engaging take and the being human truths encapsulated within rang true for me.

No need to apologize, just a civilized debate. I'm interested in hearing everyone's unique take. I loved Cell, but to each his own. At least we agree on the King and his magnum opus :cool:

John Blaze
02-02-2013, 08:28 PM
I do love TDT series. :)

So by genre you just (read: strictly) mean zombies?Yes.

Bethany
02-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Fuck Cell. Worst SK book ever.

I agree. It didn't even feel like I was reading a King novel. It felt like one of the novel adaptions of movies that a junior high kid would love.

Which movie though, you might ask. All the stupid, insipid zombie movies.

Stebbins
02-03-2013, 09:24 AM
:frown1:

pathoftheturtle
02-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Yeah, that's kind of harsh. Don't forget, it had been not long since the man had recovered from a pretty horrible accident. Cut him a little slack. His first long novel after coming out of retirement. I did recognize his voice in it, some, and they did get better. Not my favorite modern King novel, for sure, but I wouldn't call it a major insult the zombie genre, either. Just a little weak; and it wasn't the only lull in his career, either. All I would say is, try some more of his other stuff.

Stebbins
02-03-2013, 02:47 PM
That's a fair analysis Path.

On a more positive note, I can't get enough of Night Shift. It's so good. The writing is hungry, I can feel it and I love it. At no point does King know he has your undying attention so every sentence is bent on keeping/earning it.

thegunslinger41
02-04-2013, 05:57 AM
Need to re-read NightShift soon. Currently reading GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn. Very good so far. Next on my list is World War Z by Max Brooks. Friend of mine read it and only got 1/2 way through it. Hmmm...

WeDealInLead
02-04-2013, 06:26 AM
Barri Wood - The Tribe

fernandito
02-04-2013, 08:20 AM

I agree with Spider.

WeDealInLead
02-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Cell was my first King book. At the time, it was the coolest thing ever. Years and (rest of the bibliography) later, it falls into the bottom 10.

John Blaze
02-04-2013, 10:40 PM
I like your judgement. Bottom 3 for me, Cell(dead last), Blockade Billy (2nd to last), and Tommyknockers (3rd from last) I'd reread Tomyknockers, it's really not that bad, but the other two I will never read again and regret buying the hardcover first editions. Waste of money.

mae
02-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Why Blockade Billy? I really liked that one.

Bev Vincent
02-05-2013, 04:57 AM
http://img2.imagesbn.com/p/9780770437855_p0_v4_s260x420.JPG

biomieg
02-05-2013, 05:59 AM
Hey, cool. Herman Koch is from the Netherlands (trivia: he was also involved in a satiric/absurdist TV show that ran for 15 years on Dutch television. It was called 'jiskefet', which is Frisian for garbage can).

I haven't read this one. Do you like it so far?

Bethany
02-05-2013, 06:10 AM
I like your judgement. Bottom 3 for me, Cell(dead last), Blockade Billy (2nd to last), and Tommyknockers (3rd from last) I'd reread Tomyknockers, it's really not that bad, but the other two I will never read again and regret buying the hardcover first editions. Waste of money.

Why Blockade Billy? I really liked that one.

For me, it was because King tried to get too clever. The implied Stephen Kingness of what's wrong with Billy? How is he so good? Why is he not all here? Then, he's just a messed up kid from an orphanage. Huge let down.

Bev Vincent
02-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Hey, cool. Herman Koch is from the Netherlands (trivia: he was also involved in a satiric/absurdist TV show that ran for 15 years on Dutch television. It was called 'jiskefet', which is Frisian for garbage can).

I haven't read this one. Do you like it so far?

I'm almost finished with it -- the entire thing takes place during a five-course dinner at a very expensive restaurant. Two brothers (one a possible future PM) and their wives have met to discuss what to do about some very bad trouble their sons have gotten into.

It addresses some difficult subjects. I find it interesting the way my view of the narrator changes. At first he's quite sympathetic, if pessimistic. Eventually you learn a lot about him that makes him less sympathetic. I do like it. I didn't want to stop with just 25 pages left this morning, but I had to.

Stebbins
02-05-2013, 07:19 AM

Totally different wavelengths. I didn't especially enjoy BB, but I still thought it was decent. And the other two I already expressed our polar opposite opinions.

pathoftheturtle
02-05-2013, 06:21 PM
What I've been through so far (excluding short story books): The Stand, The Long Walk, DT as a collective, IT, Salem's Lot, Tommyknockers, The Shining, The Talisman----------------> Insomnia and TGWLTGPlus On Writing. And now Cell. And at some point Blockade Billy, apparently. Any others? It would be cool if you added a full ranking list to that thread.

thegunslinger41
02-06-2013, 06:03 AM
Finishing GONE GIRL. Wow...such an awesome book. Really.

G

Dan
02-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Now reading Island by Richard Laymon. I've read several Laymon recently, he is very demented but I like his writing.

biomieg
02-06-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm currently reading City Of Masks, by Daniel Hecht. This guy is awesome but it seems as if nobody else has read his books (which is a shame, IMO). If you like the idea of the 'neuropathological Gothic' novel, definitely check him out.

Jean
02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Bears love the idea. Bears don't know where to take the books.

biomieg
02-06-2013, 12:35 PM
He hasn't written that many books:

Skull Session (1997)
The Babel Effect (2000)
Puppets (2001)
City of Masks (2002)
Land of Echoes (2004)
Bones of the Barbary Coast (2006)

I have no idea if they can be found in e-reader or any other downloadable format!

Useless bit of trivia: he was an accomplished guitar player with three records out in the 70's and early 80's before he started writing. And I believe he's some kind of professor right now, I'm not even sure if he still writes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qoA7WYCyJg

Jean
02-06-2013, 01:03 PM
I have no idea if they can be found in e-reader or any other downloadable format!Ay, there's the rub.

Melike
02-07-2013, 02:46 AM
Started reading Silmerillion. It is my favorite Tolkien.
Enjoying every single word.

DoctorDodge
02-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Ooh, I was thinking of checking that out myself, Melike. It basically covers nearly the entire history of Middle-Earth, right?

Melike
02-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Ooh, I was thinking of checking that out myself, Melike. It basically covers nearly the entire history of Middle-Earth, right?

Yes. It starts before the creation, continues to Hobbit-Lord of the Rings era.
It tells the history of the history. Amazing details about the wars before The War of the Ring. Information about Elves and Valar.

DoctorDodge
02-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Nice. Definitely really keen to check it out. I've been reading the appendices of TLotR, and it's amazing just how much detail Tolkien put into that alone.

Melike
02-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Nice. Definitely really keen to check it out. I've been reading the appendices of TLotR, and it's amazing just how much detail Tolkien put into that alone.
His insanity is mesmerizing.

becca69
02-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Started Wise Man's Fear (Patrick Rothfuss) and then on to The Dark Thorn (Shawn Speakman)

Empath of the White
02-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Phoenix in Obsidian by Michael Moorcock.

alkanto
02-07-2013, 06:09 PM
In regards to the Sillmarillion, it's a bit dense. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've read it and I need to reread it. I was probably a bit young...but be warned that it's not really for a casual fan. Same with a lot of the Middle Earth history books. That being said, I do like them. Been far too long since I've read them.

Melike
02-08-2013, 01:39 AM
In regards to the Sillmarillion, it's a bit dense. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've read it and I need to reread it. I was probably a bit young...but be warned that it's not really for a casual fan. Same with a lot of the Middle Earth history books. That being said, I do like them. Been far too long since I've read them.
Yeah, when I first read it I was too young, too! It makes me feel so old. Especially when I see I do not even remember important things.
You're right, I know most people do not like it as much as LotR...

fernandito
02-08-2013, 09:39 AM
The impression I get is that people aren't too keen on Silmarillion because it reads more like an encyclopedia / summary of events in Middle Earth as opposed to a traditional story.

Jean
02-08-2013, 09:42 AM
The impression I get is that people aren't too keen on Silmarillion is because it reads more like an encyclopedia / summary of events in Middle Earth as opposed to a traditional story.Yes, I think this is just the reason why I could never read it.

WeDealInLead
02-08-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm having a lot of fun clearing my horror TBR shelf. They're fairly easy reads but VERY entertaining. 350 pages in 2 days seems to be the norm. This is the list so far for February:

McCammon - Bethany's Sin
Bari Wood - The Tribe (there's a fancy edition from Centipede, I have a tpb)
Rex Miller - Chaingang

Next are Farris - The Fury, Campbell - Ancient Image, Ketchum -Old Flames, Simmons - Carrion Comfort

Melike
02-08-2013, 12:05 PM
The impression I get is that people aren't too keen on Silmarillion because it reads more like an encyclopedia / summary of events in Middle Earth as opposed to a traditional story.

A history encyclopedia is the best definition. It is enjoyable.

alkanto
02-08-2013, 01:27 PM

Yeah, that's not wrong. I did enjoy it - as much as I could when I was 12 - but it is different. That being said, what is being cataloged is interesting, I just don't know if the way it is being presented is the best for it....?

pathoftheturtle
02-08-2013, 03:14 PM
The impression I get is that people aren't too keen on Silmarillion because it reads more like an encyclopedia / summary of events in Middle Earth as opposed to a traditional story.I love doing that. Different personalities, I guess.

Stebbins
02-08-2013, 04:39 PM
What I've been through so far (excluding short story books): The Stand, The Long Walk, DT as a collective, IT, Salem's Lot, Tommyknockers, The Shining, The Talisman----------------> Insomnia and TGWLTGPlus On Writing. And now Cell. And at some point Blockade Billy, apparently. Any others? It would be cool if you added a full ranking list to that thread.

Wow, thank you for digging this up, really, Path. I could rank all of the 28 I have read thus far...could you maybe provide a link to where this was at?

Stebbins
02-08-2013, 04:41 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d0/Tan_and_Sandy_Silence.jpg/200px-Tan_and_Sandy_Silence.jpg

pathoftheturtle
02-08-2013, 10:00 PM

Wow, thank you for digging this up, really, Path. I could rank all of the 28 I have read thus far...could you maybe provide a link to where this was at?Next to your name there appears a little arrow. Sorry; I thought you knew. You can auto trace most quotes back to the original posts by clicking those.

Stebbins
02-09-2013, 07:08 AM

Wow, thank you for digging this up, really, Path. I could rank all of the 28 I have read thus far...could you maybe provide a link to where this was at?Next to your name there appears a little arrow. Sorry; I thought you knew. You can auto trace most quotes back to the original posts by clicking those.

No need to apologize for my ignorance :lol:... I will trace and edit sometime today, after errands and the gym.

Mattrick
02-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Reading Villette by Charlotte Bronte. Big fan of the Bronte sisters from what I've read, and since I have Shirley by Charlotte and Agnes Grey and Tenant of WildfellHall I'll probably have all their books read by years end. On my last trip to my favourite bookstore, I picked up Catch-22 and Madame Bovary...both are supposed to be excellent; has anyone here read them?

Ricky
02-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Finished Gone Girl last night. Wow. Nick and Amy are totally. messed. up.

Empath of the White
02-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Stormbringer by Michael Moorcock. Simply epic. :rose:

DoctorDodge
02-10-2013, 04:48 PM
I think I need to properly check out more of Moorcock's work. The only novel I read was his Doctor Who one, the Coming of the Terraphiles, and I just couldn't get into it. Didn't work as a Doctor Who tie-in or as a novel in its own right for me. A little too light-hearted with no characters that had any depth. I assume a lot of his best work is considerably better?

alkanto
02-10-2013, 04:55 PM
has anyone else read the Mistborn novels by Brandon Sanderson? I'm almost done with the first book, and I adore it! It's nice to have a magical system that's actually really well thought out and uses at least a little bit of science...

Empath of the White
02-10-2013, 05:20 PM
I think I need to properly check out more of Moorcock's work. The only novel I read was his Doctor Who one, the Coming of the Terraphiles, and I just couldn't get into it. Didn't work as a Doctor Who tie-in or as a novel in its own right for me. A little too light-hearted with no characters that had any depth. I assume a lot of his best work is considerably better?

Considerably better if you enjoy epic fantasy or science fiction. Elric and Corum are strictly fantasy; Hawkmoon and Erekose veer into science fantasy. Jerry Cornelius is mostly sci-fi. In fact, the Jerry Cornelius novels, collected as The Cornelius Quartet, are considered the frontrunners in the "New Wave" of science fiction from the 60's/70's in that they take the technology found in many of the older sci-fi tales of that timeperiod and focus on how those gadgets affect the characters and their actions/development. The first JC novel, The Final Programme is easy to get into. The second, A Cure for Cancer takes a bit more dedication. It is quite strange, to say the least.

OchrisO
02-10-2013, 07:28 PM
has anyone else read the Mistborn novels by Brandon Sanderson? I'm almost done with the first book, and I adore it! It's nice to have a magical system that's actually really well thought out and uses at least a little bit of science...

Great books. I also loved the magic system.
The whole series is fantastic.

alkanto
02-10-2013, 07:34 PM

Great books. I also loved the magic system.
The whole series is fantastic.

Good to know. I was a bit nervous, with how well the first one was going, that maybe the sequels would lose a bit of steam. I'm very excited for the next one, now :D

Stebbins
02-11-2013, 08:09 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-d8teFk13DCE/T9FxxNWWPtI/AAAAAAAAAHs/MJov0_b6xLk/s1600/0619f_dumakey.jpg

Starting this beefy bad boy tonight (can't get an image to properly xfer on my iPad, but it's Duma Key)

mae
02-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Duma Key is excellent but then again you didn't like Insomnia.

Jean
02-12-2013, 02:18 AM
there's still hope...

WeDealInLead
02-12-2013, 05:23 AM

So what? What does that have to do with anything?

WeDealInLead
02-12-2013, 05:31 AM
I just bought The Walls of the Castle by Tom Piccirilli. It's his newest novella. I plan on finishing it today.

I haven't been this excited about a new book in a long time. Maybe even since The Wind Through the Keyhole.

pathoftheturtle
02-12-2013, 06:22 AM

So what? What does that have to do with anything?Slightly tenuous comparison, but I can see it. They both have older male protagonists, play a little with the fourth wall, and contain certain other style similarities. I'd say Duma Key is a bit better, though.

Stockerlone
02-12-2013, 06:53 AM
Die Zombies von OZ - Christian Endres
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT2033.JPG

Dorothy's homecoming turns into a nightmare: the undead have overrun the country! A nice shortstory collection about Zombies in the OZ universe.

mae
02-12-2013, 07:21 AM

So what? What does that have to do with anything?Slightly tenuous comparison, but I can see it. They both have older male protagonists, play a little with the fourth wall, and contain certain other style similarities. I'd say Duma Key is a bit better, though.

Exactly right. I experienced a very similar feeling while reading Duma Key.

mae
02-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Reading Nightmares & Dreamscapes. Love King's short stories. Hopefully the seven-year cycle he talks about in the great introduction keeps true and in 2015 we'll get the next collection with awesome stories like Premium Harmony, Herman Wouk is Still Alive, Batman and Robin Have an Altercation, etc.

Stebbins
02-12-2013, 08:13 AM

Well not sure yet if it is comparable to Insomnia, but two chapters in and I'm feeling it. I was much- several years- younger when I read Insomnia and tastes (of all kinds) are bound to evolve.

I already think there has been more action in the first 100 pages of DK than all of Insomnia, though. Plus I like the central tension.

mae
02-12-2013, 08:23 AM
For me it wasn't about action with Insomnia but the mood.

WeDealInLead
02-12-2013, 08:26 AM

I thought DK was 9/10 and Insomnia 6/10. For the record, I'm agreeing with you. To me, DK exceeded at everything Insomnia failed at. The latter felt forced and bloated at times. DK was the King we all love, writting with a big heart and some scary ideas... a revival kind of, right on the heels of FAB8 and Lisey's story. It restored my faith in him.

If I would have to consider any other book similar to DK, I'd say it's Bag of Bones.

Jean
02-12-2013, 08:39 AM
totally agree with what WDIL said, minus the Bag of Bones part

pathoftheturtle
02-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Well, they both deal with the subjects of grief and loss, although Bag of Bones is better.

Jean
02-12-2013, 08:48 AM
hmm mmm mmm

Stebbins
02-12-2013, 08:51 AM
For me it wasn't about action with Insomnia but the mood.

Maybe I was too immature to fully grasp the "mood" of Insomnia. It's definitely not at the top of the list for if/when I get to a full re-read of King's canon haha.

WeDealInLead
02-12-2013, 09:03 AM
hmm mmm mmm

I finished Odd Thomas and dove right into Forever Odd.

The ending of Odd Thomas... damn. I mean, I knew about Stormy because I read a later book in the series but I have to admit that it took me completely off guard. Everything from where she visits him in the ICU and their time alone, until the end of the book is perfection.

Jean
02-12-2013, 09:08 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

Mattrick
02-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Bag of Bones is one of my favourite King books, as is Insomnia. Duma Key was very good but I don't see any similarities with it from other books of his, other than an older main characters. Duma Key actually creeped me out more than The Shining did. Insomnia to me is easy top ten books stand alone books he's written, maybe even top five.

pathoftheturtle
02-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Oh, come on -- if I had been handed a copy of Duma Key with no warning, no cover, and no title page, I would have positively identified it as King within the first few pages. Nearly all of his books have countless similarities to each other. It's only whether it is especially or most similar to this or that specific other one that seems debatable.

Jean
02-12-2013, 01:29 PM
I see no contradiction between the two above posts (unless we insist on interpreting the word "any" literally, which seems to be counterproductive)

pathoftheturtle
02-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Perhaps I read too much into Matt's assertion. Beg pardon if so.

Jean
02-12-2013, 01:42 PM
I, on the other hand, found myself schizophrenically agreeing with three points: yours, Mattrick's, and WDIL's ("DK exceeded at everything Insomnia failed at")

pathoftheturtle
02-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Dang, that barely registered ... couldn't get through the sound of my head swelling over the preceding sentence, I suppose.
... For the record, I'm agreeing with you. To me, DK exceeded at everything Insomnia failed at. ...
TY for repeating the point. For the record, I agree with that, generally. Less forced and less bloated than Insomnia. But I'm not so sure my own faith in SK was really suffering at that point in time especially, anyway.

Mattrick
02-12-2013, 01:58 PM
So Salem's Lot and Duma Key read the same? King's style has changed drastically since his early days. I think his greatest books are still to come. Duma Key and Lisey's were the most personal stories, along with Hearts In Atlantis, that King ever wrote. And King has never told many personal stories, great stories yes, but separate from himself. We've seen more of him edge into his stories (his actual appearance in TDT aside), his Red Sox love in The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, his recovery from an accident and retirement and questioning if he should still write in Duma Key, and then Lisey's story was obviously written with his wife in mind, coping through his eventual death with nothing left but the nightmares he'd wrote. While there is still noseeums and things we expect from King, these works contain a depth of genuine feeling most of his works do not. And as for King's style, well that changes constantly. With Duma Key in particular, especially in it's first sixty pages, I felt it was very un-king like. And I thought it also contained his best use of an ethereal force. I personally saw a drastic change in tone with his most recent books, even Under The Dome was pedal to the medal, when King's forte is the slow burn.

pathoftheturtle
02-12-2013, 02:51 PM
So Salem's Lot and Duma Key read the same? King's style has changed drastically since his early days. ...Perhaps so, but I do think those two still are more alike than different in contrast with an entirely different author's works, yes.

I thought it also contained his best use of an ethereal force.Respectfully disagree. That has to be Bag of Bones.

Mattrick
02-12-2013, 02:52 PM
That's a very close second for me, so I can concur with that.

Stebbins
02-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Mattrick and everyone who hasn't: you should post your ranking of the King's works in the ranking thread.

Stebbins
02-12-2013, 03:04 PM
DK is reading more like Cell, style-wise, than any other book I have read. I would disagree (respectfully, of course) that SL reads anything like it in terms of style. I can tell it's modern King-- a lot less dressy than older works. But obviously we all have differing opinions and no one will agree with another all the times in terms of tastes.

WeDealInLead
02-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Koontz - Forever Odd
Matheson - I Am Legend
Farris - The Fury

Still doing the horror month thing.

Dan
02-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Bentley Little - The Burning

CRinVA
02-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Just finished listening to Horns, by Joe Hill

Now listening to The Annotated Sword of Shannara, by Terry Brooks.

I read this book back in college and saw the audio at the library and picked it up; didnt even realize it was an "annotated" version. Scott Brick is the narrator and I have listened to several audio books with him. Every now and then the story is interrupted by Terry Brooks to make a small comment or two - sometimes an explanation, sometimes to identify where the story being referred to can be found, sometimes to identify the foreshadowing. I thought it was going to be annoying to get interrupted but I actually like it.

I am just finishing up with The Twelve which sits on my nightstand, and tehn I plan on reading Ketchum's The Woman
And on my Kindle I am rereading an assortment of old Stephen King stories (unpuiblished/uncollected) and just downloaded Swan Song by McCammon for $1.99.

WeDealInLead
02-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Jack Ketchum - Old Flames

Merlin1958
02-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Re-reading "Hugo Award winners" compilation "Volume I" which includes "The Big Front Yard" (which I highly recommend) and "Hellbound Train" another "oldie, but goodie"!!! Sci-Fi from the "Golden Era" really works!!! Try it!!!

Odetta
02-21-2013, 10:05 AM
I am currently reading a book about the Hell's Angels

Stebbins
02-21-2013, 03:35 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ed/DoloresClaiborneNovel.jpg/200px-DoloresClaiborneNovel.jpg

WeDealInLead
02-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Dan Simmons - Carrion Comfort

Dan
02-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Carrion Comfort is excellent!

Started The Tommyknockers. One of the few remaining King books to read.

WeDealInLead
02-23-2013, 11:32 AM
I like it. Only 160 pages in though but I like what it's about and how well it's written.

Jean
02-23-2013, 11:34 AM
I won't start another Simmons for a couple of months. I am afraid after The Terror anything will be a disappointment. I need the impression to become less vivid.

mae
02-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Going back for more Crichton maybe, Jean?

Jean
02-23-2013, 12:00 PM
totally

Ben Staad
02-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Reading "Dead Reflections" by Carol Weekes. This is an ARC from LTthing's early reviewer program.

Ruthful
02-24-2013, 08:02 PM
The Greatest Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from history to astonish, bewilder, and stupefy, by Rick Beyer

Stebbins
02-26-2013, 01:32 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/CONDOMINIUM-JOHN-D-MacDONALD-FIRST-PRINTING-/05/!BoN28lQ!2k~$(KGrHqIH-CoEu(i866PPBLmot!KuVQ~~_35.JPG

Needed a little variety from King before I begin Black House

Ruthful
02-27-2013, 04:44 PM
Just finished The Master and Margarita, and am going to pick up the sequel to A Game of Thrones again very soon.

Emily
02-28-2013, 09:24 AM
I just started reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. I'm totally enthralled. Each chapter centers on a different character, and is amazingly different than the last. A definite must read for English language lovers.

Jean
02-28-2013, 09:32 AM
that would be bears...

Bev Vincent
02-28-2013, 10:22 AM
http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1350363348l/15808328.jpg

WeDealInLead
02-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Dan Simmons - The Rise of Endymion, Carrion Comfort

Stebbins
02-28-2013, 10:49 AM
that would be bears...

Stebbins too.

Bev, that cover is tantalizing. Let me know how the actual read is.

jhanic
02-28-2013, 11:13 AM
http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1350363348l/15808328.jpg

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Not what I had expected.

John

Bev Vincent
02-28-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm only about 1/3 of the way in and I'm still not sure what to expect from it. The bit with the marbles has me thinking the story might go in an unexpected direction, but I don't know what that is yet. The style is intriguing. Very conversational and disarming. There are a lot of characters to keep straight, but I'm liking it so far.

Ruthful
02-28-2013, 12:51 PM
FWIW, I just completed my reread of The Dark Tower. Still awesome, especially the (final) conclusion.

Stebbins
02-28-2013, 02:09 PM
FWIW, I just completed my reread of The Dark Tower. Still awesome, especially the (final) conclusion.

Mainly because it is not a conclusion :D. Ka is a wheel that keeps spinning baby!

pathoftheturtle
02-28-2013, 02:13 PM

Mainly because it is not a conclusion :D. Ka is a wheel that keeps spinning baby!Schadenfreude.

Stebbins
02-28-2013, 02:22 PM

Mainly because it is not a conclusion :D. Ka is a wheel that keeps spinning baby!Schadenfreude.

I had to google that path haha. But true, to some degree. It's more taking pleasure in how it applies to life in general than wanting other people to be in pain.

pathoftheturtle
02-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Oh, yeah. Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.
Going off-topic, though. It's really a great book because people have all different ways of seeing it.
I hope we can pick this up in DT threads. :)

Dan
02-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Started Storm of the Century

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-01-2013, 03:31 AM
Peter Pan

Thorin Oakenshield
03-02-2013, 11:29 AM
About to start Cat's Cradle. Just a question, any of you guys have a goodreads account?

Jean
03-02-2013, 11:45 AM
yes