PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Brice
05-29-2012, 09:26 AM
VERY nice!

Dan
05-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Just finished The Shining. I don't know if I should start another King book, i've read about half now, or something else. I, too, have several graphic novels I should probably try reading.

mystima
05-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Finished Deadlocked this week....very interesting story....All I have to say about it really is that they should just go ahead and make Sam and Sookie a couple and get it over with...sounds like Eric is becoming a bastard.lol

WeDealInLead
05-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Just finished The Shining. I don't know if I should start another King book, i've read about half now, or something else. I, too, have several graphic novels I should probably try reading.

I've got 4 left: Desperation, Regulators, Insomnia, UTD. I used to read at least 2 King books a month. I'll savor these at a leasurly 1 a month pace.

Check out Charles Grant and Tim Lebbon if you're looking for non-gross out horror (quiet horror).

Dan
05-29-2012, 02:24 PM

I've got 4 left: Desperation, Regulators, Insomnia, UTD. I used to read at least 2 King books a month. I'll savor these at a leasurly 1 a month pace.

Check out Charles Grant and Tim Lebbon if you're looking for non-gross out horror (quiet horror).

I will check them out. I actually started The Painted Darkness by Brian J Freeman.

John Blaze
05-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Book 3 of the series Homecoming, by Orson Scott Card. Good read so far. :)

compton310
05-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Im reading The Dark Tower Wasted Land. The first half of the book is a little slow, and it can be place the second book. But know they just reach the city of Lud and WOW! and thats all i have to say.

stkmw02
05-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Finished up first two volumes of The Stand graphic novel, since I don't have the others yet. Might stop by a store tomorrow to see if I can pick them up. I really dig this style.

I'll read something unrelated in the meantime.

Patrick
05-30-2012, 09:13 PM
So far I'm liking it Patrick! :)
Awesome! I knew you would!

Well, it's actually not the sort of thing that would normally interest me, but it's so well done.
I know it isn't your usual cup of tea, mine neither. But, like you said, GRRM does a fantastic job with this story. That's why I knew you'd like it.

Brice
05-30-2012, 10:08 PM
You were definitely right. :)

John Blaze
05-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Ahh, it feels good to know there are new Martin fans. :)

stkmw02
05-31-2012, 05:25 AM
Since the local Barnes no longer has any of The Stand in stock, I'm ordering online. *sigh* As I wait, I'm reading a children's chapter book today... and as much as I'd like to read a few more books to close out May, I might end up cleaning instead.

DoctorDodge
05-31-2012, 05:42 AM
Atm, I'm just trying to get through my 2000AD backlog. Finally deciding to tackle it once and for all and aim to get it at a more manageable level of reading one prog per week, rather than let it build up and up as I usually do. Which is a shame, as with 100 pages left I'm pretty close to finishing Game of Thrones, but oh well. With any luck, I'll read the last 15 progs within the week.

Which reminds me, to finish next month:
A Game of Thrones
The Wind through the Keyhole
Shada

In that order. Particularly the first 2, so me and Jennifer can discuss 'em in July. (Which I'm beyond excited about! :D )

fernandito
05-31-2012, 08:03 AM
Brice! Glad to see you aboard the ASOIAF wagon man! How quick do you think you'll pick up the subsequent books ?

Heather19
05-31-2012, 08:39 AM
So far I'm liking it Patrick! :)
Awesome! I knew you would!

Well, it's actually not the sort of thing that would normally interest me, but it's so well done.
I know it isn't your usual cup of tea, mine neither. But, like you said, GRRM does a fantastic job with this story. That's why I knew you'd like it.

Hmmm, maybe I should bump it up on my list. I keep pushing it to the bottom.

DoctorDodge
05-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Well, I've really been enjoying it Heather, so I'm not sure if you'll like it or not. :P (And you do know you have just pissed the hell out of John, Bethany, Fernando and alkanto at least, right?)

Heather19
05-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Well, I've really been enjoying it Heather, so I'm not sure if you'll like it or not. :P (And you do know you have just pissed the hell out of John, Bethany, Fernando and alkanto at least, right?)

Oh no! I guess I'm going to bump it back to the bottom :lol:

John Blaze
05-31-2012, 12:12 PM
I'll cut you. Seriously.

DoctorDodge
05-31-2012, 01:38 PM
See what I mean, Heather? :lol:

And like I said, John: I will finish GoT in June. Remember that. Remember it as well as the deal we made. For I will hold you to your word, my friend...

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-31-2012, 03:57 PM
A Case of Need - Micheal Crichton

John Blaze
05-31-2012, 07:05 PM
I remember, I pay my debts.

Patrick
05-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Go for it, Heather!

fernandito
06-01-2012, 09:55 AM
I remember, I pay my debts.

A Bruno always pays his debts.

Ricky
06-01-2012, 12:32 PM
The Ridge - Michael Koryta. Getting to be really interesting now.

Ruthful
06-01-2012, 12:32 PM
http://blog.urbanoutfitters.com/files/gavinhowtopissbook.jpeg

https://mises.org/store/Assets/ProductImages/B976.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-phO2FyNZc34/T5v02IIogbI/AAAAAAAABUM/x3AcHxGB2mU/s1600/The+Drawing+of+the+Three+by+Stephen+King.jpg

Brice
06-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Brice! Glad to see you aboard the ASOIAF wagon man! How quick do you think you'll pick up the subsequent books ?

Probably I will buy each one as I finish the one before it. Reading is still going slow for me. :(

Despite James' liking it; it's actually quite good. There's bound to be a fluke where y'all like one or two of the same things. Now read it. :D

I'll cut you. Seriously.

....and you'll never read a book again the day you do. :couple:

WeDealInLead
06-03-2012, 06:12 AM
Ray Bradbury - The Day It Rained Forever
Dean Koontz - What the Night Knows
William Gibson - Neuromancer

frik
06-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Finally!!

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTToQNVMq5ROjQk4Kzm2iAx6hbUIARmF K4L35CghRvSPmBqUVPii4v00JUC

sk

jhanic
06-03-2012, 09:05 AM
It's about time!

John

Heather19
06-03-2012, 09:16 AM

Probably I will buy each one as I finish the one before it. Reading is still going slow for me. :(

Despite James' liking it; it's actually quite good. There's bound to be a fluke where y'all like one or two of the same things. Now read it. :D

I'll cut you. Seriously.

Awww, glad someone's got my back here :couple:
And I'll try to pick up sometime "soon" guys, I promise! :D

Jean
06-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Finally!!

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTToQNVMq5ROjQk4Kzm2iAx6hbUIARmF K4L35CghRvSPmBqUVPii4v00JUC

sk
awesome! please please like it!

Brice
06-03-2012, 04:34 PM

I'll cut you. Seriously.

Awww, glad someone's got my back here :couple:
And I'll try to pick up sometime "soon" guys, I promise! :D

:couple:

Mattrick
06-05-2012, 07:02 AM
What would this site think if me if I confessed I hav NO interest in reading Game of Thrones?

John Blaze
06-05-2012, 07:13 AM
I'd think you're a dork. But I already told you that before. :P

Quit being the cool guy who only reads older and obscure stuff. Read em.

fernandito
06-05-2012, 07:20 AM
What would this site think if me if I confessed I hav NO interest in reading Game of Thrones?

As someone who appreciates strong narrative and complex characters, I calculate a 98.6% probability that you'll fall in love with the series if you should happen to read it.

Empath of the White
06-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Barron's MCAT Prep text.

Elric: The Stealer of Souls, Book 1 of the Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melnibone. I'm on the third part of Stormbringer.

Dawntheif, Book 1 of the Chronicles of the Raven, by James Barclay. This is about a mercenary company hired by a college of mages to assist them in finding the components to the Dawnthief spell. Otherwise, the Wytch Lords will take over the continent of Balaia.

After my MCAT, I'm jumping into Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson.

frik
06-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Finally!!

sk
awesome! please please like it!

So far, so good!

sk

Erin
06-05-2012, 09:18 AM

As someone who appreciates strong narrative and complex characters, I calculate a 98.6% probability that you'll fall in love with the series if you should happen to read it.

What he said. It really is RIGHT up your alley, based on the types of shows/movies you enjoy. But if you still don't want to read them, we'll just flay you House Bolton style until you do. :D

Getting the thread back on track, I'm currently on Wizard and Glass in my Dark Tower re-read. My favorite of the series. :wub:

John Blaze
06-05-2012, 10:23 AM
almost done with book 5 of the Homecoming series, by Orson Scott Card. It's good. :D

John Blaze
06-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Lol, hey Erin, on my screen it totally looks like my sig pic Drogo is looking at your av pic. :P

Dan
06-05-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm starting Floating Dragon (Peter Straub) tonight in preparation for my S/L from CD. I also started the audiobook of Don Quixote this morning. The second will probably take weeks since I only listen while running and during lunch.

Roland of Gilead 33
06-05-2012, 10:22 PM
what am i reading? oh 'One For The Money" actually it's a decent book. NOT great i may read the 2nd and maybe the 3rd book in the series. there's i think 18 now? with the 19th coming out in i believe well i believe in november. i say it like that cause for me the 1st book in a series isn't always the best one in the series. such the "DT" series the 1st one while it's a good book, it's not nearly as good as 'The Drawing of the three" as least for me.

just to use that as an example. this is actually the 1st book i've been reading up in quite a few months. so it's nice to be able to do that again. i wasn't in the mood to read for the longest time for some strange reason. i'm like that now. i wish i knew why? i never was that like most of my life. i'd go from book to book to book. etc.. you get the idea. i think my attention span isn't as good as it used to be? or something? i'm only 33 for christ's sake. so it's not like i'm in my 70's please take no offense to those who are of that age group here.

Mattrick
06-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Watching the show when it's finished will make or break whether or not I read the series. A book series is just a big investment, only reason I even read the Dark Tower is that Stephen King wrote it lol

Jean
06-07-2012, 03:15 AM
currently reading: The Haunting of the Hill House on my new KINDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a wonderful book! what a wonderful kindle!!!!!!!!

Heather19
06-07-2012, 05:45 AM
currently reading: The Haunting of the Hill House on my new KINDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice!
I've never read the book but have been wanting too. I have to add it to my list.

Jean
06-07-2012, 05:52 AM
oh I know you will love it! :rose: :rose: :rose:

Heather19
06-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Now that you have a Kindle you should go here (http://www.gutenberg.org/). You can download older books to read. And you can finally read that wonderful Austen book :D

Jean
06-07-2012, 06:27 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Messages/hug00083.gif

Heather19
06-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Let me know when you do! You're in for such a treat :couple:

mae
06-07-2012, 06:49 AM
Gah, Jean's gone over to the Dark Side! :cry:

Ben Staad
06-07-2012, 06:49 AM

Fantastic! I just finished reading that (within the last month) book for the first time and greatly enjoyed it.

fernandito
06-07-2012, 07:04 AM

The Rebel Alliance is getting smaller and smaller :cry:

John Blaze
06-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Real books for lyfe, muthaphukkkas!

Jean
06-07-2012, 11:05 AM
wait, bears want to be rebels to, they've always been outnumbered!!!!!!!!!!!! would that mean to give up my new wonderful sweet delicious kindle????????? why???????????? bears love their kindles, it's furry and nice and soooooooooo helpful!!! bears wouldn't have any access to most books without it, or they would kill their little beareyes trying to read from the screen................... bears want to read again!!! please god let me life again - god, am I fucking drunk!!!!!!!

Bethany
06-07-2012, 11:19 AM

The Rebel Alliance is getting smaller and smaller :cry:

Real books for lyfe, muthaphukkkas!

REBELS, TO ME!

Jean
06-07-2012, 11:28 AM
a kindly kindle lit my way
as fitting as a thimble
I am a drunken bear today
Unable to read anyway,
but loving my new kindle!

there was a big bear of nowhere
who got a new kindle for his prayer
he drank till he was
all tangled in his paws
then he said, oh Lord, it's unfair

mae
06-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Well at least now you will be able to read King's newest stuff as soon as it's out, Jean. So that's certainly a plus. On the flipside, paper books are the shit.

noal
06-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Well at least now you will be able to read King's newest stuff as soon as it's out, Jean. So that's certainly a plus. On the flipside, paper books are the shit.

The shit indeed!:shoot:

noal
06-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Finished WTTK.

Where do I go now?

I brought twelve King books but don't know which to start first!

Dan
06-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Finished WTTK.

Where do I go now?

I brought twelve King books but don't know which to start first!

What did you get?

John Blaze
06-07-2012, 03:39 PM
What did you get, and have you previously read any of them?

Ruthful
06-07-2012, 08:58 PM
http://thebooksmugglers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/waste-lands.jpg

I'm on the third leg of my reread so far. Kind of worried about what will happen when I get to the end of Books IV and V though. Such bad memories.

:/

noal
06-08-2012, 09:39 AM
What did you get, and have you previously read any of them?

well, to reply to both of you fine gentlemen, I got these:

Duma Key
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Misery
Insomnia
Cell
The Regulators
Lisey's Story
Pet Sematary
Skeleton Crew
The Eyes Of The Dragon
Hearts In Atlantis
Salem's lot

I've never read any of these...

...Please forgive me!:wink:

Jean
06-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Pet Sematary
Duma Key
Misery
Salem's lot
Insomnia
Cell

in this order

Dan
06-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Pet Sematary
Duma Key
Misery
Salem's lot
Insomnia
Cell

in this order

This works, although I have not yet read Duma Key. The Eyes of the Dragon is good, sort of has tie in with The Dark Tower.

noal
06-08-2012, 10:12 AM
in this order

Any reason Jean or just personal preference?

Oh, and thanks for the advice Dan, much appreciated!

Jean
06-08-2012, 10:13 AM
in this order

Any reason Jean or just personal preference?the latter, of course!

noal
06-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Thank ya Jean.

Pet Sematary it is then, although I do slightly remember the T.V. film...

...a scalpel springs to mind.

mae
06-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Pet Sematary
Duma Key
Misery
Salem's lot
Insomnia
Cell

in this order

Yes and throw Skeleton Crew there in the middle.

Dan
06-08-2012, 11:09 AM
I've been breaking up the longer novels with the short story collections or shorter books in general and have been happy with it. Of course, to each their own. You should really get a copy of IT, also. It's a spectacular book.

mae
06-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Thinking of trying something very different. Anyone read Koji Suzuki's Ring books? Yes, the novels the Japanese and the American Ring movies were based on. There are three novels, Ring, Spiral, and Loop, and a collection called Birthday. I vaguely remember seeing the first Ring in theaters and being scared shitless, but that's all I've experienced of the franchise. I wonder what the source books are like.

RolandLover
06-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Finished the first book of the 50 Shades of Grey series! It was poorly written and repetitive! The sex scenes was meh and for the life of me I do not get the big deal about this book until someone said it was started off as a Twilight fanfic! Guess that's why it's popular. Now it's going to be a movie. E L James is making some serious money off her horrible written series.

Ricky
06-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I picked up 50 Shades of Grey today (in the store, I did NOT buy it :lol: ) just to see what all the hype is about and from what I read, it is very poorly written. Almost embarrassing.

Brice
06-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Thinking of trying something very different. Anyone read Koji Suzuki's Ring books? Yes, the novels the Japanese and the American Ring movies were based on. There are three novels, Ring, Spiral, and Loop, and a collection called Birthday. I vaguely remember seeing the first Ring in theaters and being scared shitless, but that's all I've experienced of the franchise. I wonder what the source books are like.

The Ring (movies) franchise did absolutely nothing for me. I wish I was scared once during it, but I was only bored. To me there was no horror to it. I know nothing of the books though.

I am all for a kindle if it leads to bears reading and drunk posting. LOL

Jean
06-09-2012, 03:03 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_friendly.gif

Mattrick
06-09-2012, 10:20 AM

Have you read any Alex Garland? I quite enjoy his writting style...read everything except The Tesseract.

noal
06-09-2012, 10:23 AM
I've been breaking up the longer novels with the short story collections or shorter books in general and have been happy with it. Of course, to each their own. You should really get a copy of IT, also. It's a spectacular book.

Thanks Dan but I have got IT and, as you say, thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember the t.v. film and loved that as well.

I just went mad on e-bay one day and brought loads of King books I didn't have (may have been drunk as well), hence the backlog. I suppose it just took me a while to get to King's 'other' books ( as opposed to the big titles).:blush:

DoctorDodge
06-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Have you read any Alex Garland? I quite enjoy his writting style...read everything except The Tesseract.

Oh, he's written novels, has he? I'll have to check those out. I only really know him as the guy who wrote the script for 28 Days Later and a certain upcoming film based on a British comic, but I enjoyed 28DL for the story as much as for the directing.

mae
06-09-2012, 01:55 PM

Will check him out, thanks.

Always like finding out about new stuff.

mystima
06-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Grabbed two books from the library today...this is what they are...

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320443788l/36320.jpg
and

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327870211l/2744.jpg

WeDealInLead
06-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Insomnia - King. 60 pages in, so far, so good.
Koontz - What The Night Knows. Half done. Very good so far.

mae
06-09-2012, 08:08 PM

The Ring (movies) franchise did absolutely nothing for me. I wish I was scared once during it, but I was only bored. To me there was no horror to it. I know nothing of the books though.

I didn't find the movie very good, but definitely creepy. And didn't know they were all based on books. Found a couple of reviews on YouTube and it really sounds enticing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc88Q4Y9BfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asj9PY805L8

DoctorDodge
06-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Ok, close to finishing A Game of Thrones, just about 80 pages left to read, and I've just reached MAJOR SPOILER:

the death of Ned Stark. My reaction can best be summarised with this:

http://images.movieplayer.it/2003/07/14/quentin-tarantino-in-una-scena-di-desperado-19844.jpg
"YOU ****ING IDIOT, MAN!"

Seriously, the number of dumb, naive mistakes that guy made...I mean he was noble, and that was ok, but man, did he have shit for brains at times! Still, it was a sad moment, seeing it through Arya's eyes.

Brice
06-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Grabbed two books from the library today...this is what they are...

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320443788l/36320.jpg
and

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327870211l/2744.jpg

:emot-cthulhu:

Cthulhu will wait to eat your soul until you finish it.

....if you don't take too long.

frik
06-11-2012, 01:14 AM
Finally!!

sk

I'm about halfways (yes, I'm a pretty slow reader) and after a very promising opening I must say the story has lost (some of) its momentum. Hope things will pick up!

sk

stone, rose, unfound door
06-11-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm currently in the middle of Jules Verne's books. I've read 26, 58 to go! They're pretty good stories and not only for kids.

fernandito
06-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Finally!!

sk

I'm about halfways (yes, I'm a pretty slow reader) and after a very promising opening I must say the story has lost (some of) its momentum. Hope things will pick up!

sk

It's all downhill from there, sadly.

Brice
06-11-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm currently in the middle of Jules Verne's books. I've read 26, 58 to go! They're pretty good stories and not only for kids.

I agree! I've read many of them. I don't know exactly how many though.

WeDealInLead
06-11-2012, 03:30 PM
I forgot to mention I'm also reading Neuromancer by Gibson. I'm 2/3 done. It's a very demanding read that needs full immersion and concentration. I like it a lot.

OchrisO
06-12-2012, 04:00 AM
I finished Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie last night and started Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John Scalzi. Both are really great books. Redshirts has a very unique twist on the scifi Redshirt concept.

Bethany
06-12-2012, 06:39 AM
Ok, close to finishing A Game of Thrones, just about 80 pages left to read, and I've just reached MAJOR SPOILER:

the death of Ned Stark. My reaction can best be summarised with this:

http://images.movieplayer.it/2003/07/14/quentin-tarantino-in-una-scena-di-desperado-19844.jpg
"YOU ****ING IDIOT, MAN!"

Seriously, the number of dumb, naive mistakes that guy made...I mean he was noble, and that was ok, but man, did he have shit for brains at times! Still, it was a sad moment, seeing it through Arya's eyes.

*hands DD a cookie and his Welcome to the GRRM Club badge*

Starting my re-read of Winds of War and War and Rememberance.

Ruthful
06-12-2012, 11:44 AM
http://www.adamcarolla.com/wp-content/themes/dejavu/cache/bcntbm-200x304.jpg

http://www.bookotron.com/agony/images/2010/10-reviews/carolla-fifty_years.jpg

John Blaze
06-12-2012, 01:47 PM
I'll start it tomorrow, B. :) I got distracted with A War of Gifts, and I'm still halfway through Homecoming book 5.

stkmw02
06-15-2012, 04:53 AM
Has anyone ever read The Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley? I started it a little while ago and find myself - still - only about half way through. It's an interesting read (for a literature fan) but for some reason it's taking me an awfully long time! I can usually finish a book of this size in just a few hours and can't figure out why this one is slowing my reading pace.

jhanic
06-15-2012, 11:19 AM
I read that a long time ago. I don't remember much about it, but I don't recall having any problem getting into it.

John

Bethany
06-15-2012, 11:29 AM
I'll start it tomorrow, B. :) I got distracted with A War of Gifts, and I'm still halfway through Homecoming book 5.

Pittering around until you say go. :D

Dan
06-15-2012, 05:27 PM
I finished Floating Dragon and Locke & Key Vol. 1. Now I'm starting Duma Key. It gets a lot of love here, so I am looking forward to it.

stkmw02
06-15-2012, 05:57 PM
I finally finished the Haunted Bookshop. I figured out why I took so long to read it, too. The author is following a mysterious plot with a bit of romance thrown in, but takes tangents to discuss war and humanity and reading etc. In these tangents, I would note the other works referenced and I think that my own mind would wander farther down the digression and away from the story, which is why I kept putting the book down so often. It is a very good book!

Dan
06-17-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm 180ish pages into Duma Key and loving it. I like this style of King where he introduces bits of the horror slowly.

Ben Staad
06-17-2012, 03:44 PM
The Road.

I'm loving this book so much!

John Blaze
06-17-2012, 05:11 PM
I loved The Road, but it was super depressing. I hope you like it.

Starting Winds of War. Not sure what reread this is, but I'm sure it's over 10 by now. :D I love these books so much!

fernandito
06-18-2012, 10:42 AM
The Road is one of my all time favorite novels, but yes, it is uber depressing.

The Road Virus
06-18-2012, 02:30 PM
http://paperbackfool.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/the_long_walk1.jpg This was my first Bachman book and I loved it; I felt like it was King writing exactly like John D. McDonald- one of his idols- and I loved it. It was arguable my favorite book of King's I've read so far up until the last page- I'm still not sure how the ending sits with me but I particularly enjoyed the last 150 pages (it reminded me of a cooler version of Lord of the Flies with similar themes)

stkmw02
06-18-2012, 04:19 PM
The Long Walk is one of my favorites as well. I reference it often when working with students on Lord of The Flies projects and now with the Hunger Games being so popular.

Girlystevedave
06-19-2012, 09:21 PM
I have still yet to read The Long Walk, but hear good things any time it's mentioned on the boards. I need to finally pick it up one day.

About halfway through The Wind Through the Keyhole. Loving it.

Brice
06-20-2012, 12:15 AM
You need to pick it up ASAP...like immediately.

Ben Staad
06-20-2012, 03:52 AM
The Road.

becca69
06-20-2012, 05:19 AM
Finished The Night Circus and I really enjoyed it. Almost finished The Fall of Hyperion. Not sure what to read next?

Ricky
06-20-2012, 08:09 AM
I don't know what it was, but I wasn't really a big fan of The Long Walk.

Dan
06-20-2012, 08:35 AM

Blasphemy! Well, not really, but I really like this book. I listened to the audiobook. Maybe that made a difference to hear the different voices of the people in the book. I run every morning and often think I would probably just fall over and allow myself to get shot.

Jean
06-20-2012, 08:44 AM
does anyone think that if bears read A Song of Ice and Fire they will enjoy it? Everyone seems to be reading or to have read it, and then a very dear friend insisted that I should do the same.

fernandito
06-20-2012, 08:51 AM
does anyone think that if bears read A Song of Ice and Fire they will enjoy it? Everyone seems to be reading or to have read it, and then a very dear friend insisted that I should do the same.

Absolutely! Most people that refuse to read it don't do so because high fantasy isn't their bag. I'm of the mind that great storytelling is great storytelling regardless of genre, and this is amazing storytelling. Yes, there are dragons and sorcerers and black magic and what have yous, but they're simply embellishments wrapped around rich, complex characters. You're definitely missing out if you don't at least give this a shot.

Jean
06-20-2012, 08:56 AM
perfect! that does it. Will start tomorrow

fernandito
06-20-2012, 09:00 AM
perfect! that does it. Will start tomorrow

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/2d1n2abjpg.gif

Jean
06-20-2012, 09:07 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

beam*seeker
06-20-2012, 09:11 AM

I think you would appreciate the complexities of the characters. I am not much into fantasy myself (JRR Tolkien being an exception, but mostly what I love about those these authors is that the Stories itself are good, not so much the scenery)

beam*seeker
06-20-2012, 09:14 AM
I forgot to mention I'm also reading Neuromancer by Gibson. I'm 2/3 done. It's a very demanding read that needs full immersion and concentration. I like it a lot.

Any mention of The Necronomicon in there???

Brice
06-20-2012, 11:49 PM

Absolutely! Most people that refuse to read it don't do so because high fantasy isn't their bag. I'm of the mind that great storytelling is great storytelling regardless of genre, and this is amazing storytelling. Yes, there are dragons and sorcerers and black magic and what have yous, but they're simply embellishments wrapped around rich, complex characters. You're definitely missing out if you don't at least give this a shot.

Perfectly right! High fantasy REALLY isn't my thing, but story is EVERYTHING to me and this seems to be a great one so far. :D

Jean
06-20-2012, 11:51 PM
well, to bears, the writing is everything, much more so than the story

Brice
06-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Noooooo! :panic: Say it isn't so?

It's well written too.

Jean
06-21-2012, 12:00 AM
well, why do you think Dickens is bears' favorite author ever? His stories suck like nobody's business, but the writing, oh Lord, the writing...

Brice
06-21-2012, 12:01 AM
True, but my love of Dickens is mostly for his characterization.

jhanic
06-21-2012, 06:04 AM
Bear, here I'm going to have to disagree with you. If the story isn't appealing, no amount of excellent writing will save it. To me, both are equally important.

John

Brice
06-21-2012, 05:43 PM
I agree as far as that goes and personally if I must choose between good writing and good story I'll choose story every time.

Heather19
06-21-2012, 05:49 PM

:o I'm not sure we can be friends anymore.

Jean, let me know how you like it. I still keep putting it off.

Dan
06-21-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm starting Blaze tonight. So far I have only read the intro. :)

Ruthful
06-21-2012, 11:30 PM
My Peace I Give You: Healing Sexual Wounds with the Help of the Saint, Dawn Eden

Jean
06-22-2012, 12:40 AM
Bear, here I'm going to have to disagree with you. If the story isn't appealing, no amount of excellent writing will save it. To me, both are equally important.

John

I am not sure. One of my favorite books of all times is Lucky Jim, by Kingsley Amis, and I am not sure it has any story at all. Dickens's Old Curiosity Shop is as lousy a story as can be, but the book is absolutely awesome (the same goes for Nicholas Nickleby). Most Huxley or Waugh novels don't really have stories, and Dostoyevsky novel's are so sloppy, story-wise, they can match Dickens's storytelling. I absolutely adore all of the above.

I agree as far as that goes and personally if I must choose between good writing and good story I'll choose story every time.

well, there must be some difference between bears and brices?

Jean, let me know how you like it. I still keep putting it off.so far it has been excruciating: very, very fantasy. I will persevere, because feverish and brice promised it would be good, - then it must be, eventually.

DoctorDodge
06-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Honestly, your criticism of Dickens's stories bears but praise of his writing has really grabbed my interest: Dickens has never been an author who has interested me much, or at least, the number of BBC and film adaptations of his work that seem to crop up on a regular basis, although the one story I have read, The Signalman, was one I really enjoyed. I just didn't like the idea of reading something a lot longer than that, tbh, especially as none of the stories have interested me at all. But if you think his writing is that good, I'm gonna need to check it out.

How far into A Game of Thrones are you, btw? Again wondering if it's one of those things like Lost that bears will disagree with feev, Brice and me on, really.

Jean
06-22-2012, 01:52 AM
Honestly, your criticism of Dickens's stories bears but praise of his writing has really grabbed my interest: Dickens has never been an author who has interested me much, or at least, the number of BBC and film adaptations of his work that seem to crop up on a regular basis, although the one story I have read, The Signalman, was one I really enjoyed. I just didn't like the idea of reading something a lot longer than that, tbh, especially as none of the stories have interested me at all. But if you think his writing is that good, I'm gonna need to check it out.Try Martin Cuzzlewit first! If it doesn't work, nothing will.

How far into A Game of Thrones are you, btw? Again wondering if it's one of those things like Lost that bears will disagree with feev, Brice and me on, really.
2% in - reading it on my Kindle. Maybe it will get better.

DoctorDodge
06-22-2012, 02:31 AM
Let us know when you're more into it. If you continue to find yourself put off by it, look on the bright side: you've got another LoM analysis by me to read! ;)

Jean
06-22-2012, 02:33 AM
oh! at last!!

The Road Virus
06-22-2012, 06:01 AM
The Long Walk is one of my favorites as well. I reference it often when working with students on Lord of The Flies projects and now with the Hunger Games being so popular.

That's awesome I was not the only one to draw that connection!

I just finished Pale Gray For Guilt- really liked it but kind of a let down after the previous McGee book- and started Wind Through the Keyhole this morning.

Ruthful
06-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Finishing the last 100 pages of Human Action.

http://t.qkme.me/364hve.jpg

Dan
06-22-2012, 09:45 AM
The first Dickens I read was Great Expectations, which is very good. Oliver Twist is also good. Janis correct that the stories are not amazing, but his writing is very good. The one that sticks out to me is The Pickwick Papers. It's more like a biography of his adventure not much point to it, but very well written.

fernandito
06-22-2012, 11:21 AM

http://www.stustake.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Barney-Stinson-Thumbs-up-GIF.gif

Brice
06-22-2012, 03:45 PM
LOL

Ruthful
06-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Affirmative Action Around The World: An Empirical Study, by Thomas Sowell

divemaster
06-22-2012, 04:59 PM

Everything I've read by Sowell is very good.

Ricky
06-22-2012, 05:57 PM

To quote a famous movie, "We'll always have Children of the Corn."

I may have paraphrased a bit. :lol:

Ruthful
06-23-2012, 07:41 PM
http://i43.tower.com/images/mm121910008/fast-furious-barack-obamas-bloodiest-scandal-shameless-cover-katie-pavlich-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

Faddah Callahan
06-23-2012, 09:43 PM
well, why do you think Dickens is bears' favorite author ever? His stories suck like nobody's business, but the writing, oh Lord, the writing...

Have you read "Drood" by Dan Simmons? This is connected...

Jean
06-23-2012, 10:42 PM
no, I haven't!

: interested :

Faddah Callahan
06-24-2012, 04:21 PM
no, I haven't!

: interested :

Give it a shot, I suggest! Mr. Simmons' historical fiction is usually quite interesting, and "Drood" is all about the last years of Charles Dickins from (friend-and-fellow-author) Wilkie Collins' point of view. With some fantastic elements thrown in. And it was wrapped up in, I thought, a very satisfying manner. I thought of it cos Collins says, as you said, that Dickins' writing style is what makes him so worthwhile (although he's a bit miffed by that, cos he believes himself to be the superior crafter of plots and characters, if not as good a writer).

Brice
06-24-2012, 06:32 PM
It is definitely a great book.

Jean
06-25-2012, 02:18 AM
I am trying to download it now

Brice
06-25-2012, 07:12 AM
:thumbsup:

WeDealInLead
06-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Incredibly, I haven't read a single page in a few days. I ran out of books on vacation and haven't had the motivation to pick anything up.

stkmw02
06-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Last night I read a few more pages of Skeletons in the Closet. I've really slowed my reading lately.

WeDealInLead
06-25-2012, 01:26 PM
I change my mind: Tom Piccirilli - Every Shallow Cut

OchrisO
06-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie

Odetta
06-25-2012, 05:27 PM
A Game of Thrones :)

Heather19
06-25-2012, 05:51 PM
I really need to finish Drood. I enjoyed what I had read.

To quote a famous movie, "We'll always have Children of the Corn."

I may have paraphrased a bit. :lol:

You make a good point Bright Eyes. I guess I can try to forgive you.

John Blaze
06-25-2012, 06:16 PM
A Game of Thrones :):D AWESOME!

becca69
06-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Starting The Passage... now!

fernandito
06-26-2012, 09:54 AM
A Game of Thrones :)

Ahhh yeeeeeahhh! :D

Dan
06-26-2012, 10:29 AM

Fantastic book! Can't wait for The Twelve!

Odetta
06-26-2012, 09:20 PM

Fantastic book! Can't wait for The Twelve!

Really good book!

Brice
06-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Yes, fantatic book. :)

beam*seeker
06-27-2012, 05:30 AM
Re-reading Dance with Dragons. Got bored waiting for Mr. Martin to finish his opus. So I am going to reread all 5 books in backward chronological order. Anything to pass the time until #6 becomes available. Now I know how all the Tower junkies felt wondering if the dagnabbit thing would ever get finished.

jhanic
06-27-2012, 05:48 AM
I just finished a reread of Cell and I think I'm going to start a reread of the DT series.

John

stkmw02
06-27-2012, 06:01 AM
Finished Skeletons in the Closet and started on The Reading Promise. If you love books, The Reading Promise is worth a look.

TwistedNadine
06-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Reading Joe R Lansdale right now - finished the story "Incident On and Off a Mountain Road" last night. Although its a story he's well known for (and apparently was adopted for TV) I had never read it nor seen the TV version. LOVED IT. Highly recommended. The twist at the end was brilliant.

WeDealInLead
06-27-2012, 12:51 PM
China Mieville - Railsea

Brice
06-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Reading Joe R Lansdale right now - finished the story "Incident On and Off a Mountain Road" last night. Although its a story he's well known for (and apparently was adopted for TV) I had never read it nor seen the TV version. LOVED IT. Highly recommended. The twist at the end was brilliant.

Yes, it's great. The tv version I believe was the first ep of Mick Garris' Masters Of Horror series.

Empath of the White
06-28-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm reading two great pieces of sword and sorcery:

Elric: To Rescue Tanelorn by Michael Moorcock; I'm on "The Singing Citadel."

The Hammer and the Blade by Paul S. Kemp; A priest to the momentary god, Egil, and his companion, Nix, make a living as tomb raiders; the story opens with them clearing out the tomb of a wizard king notorious for trafficking with demons and devils. Seems they've made an enemy from one of said demon's worshippers. Lots of snark between the duo. The prologue is essentially an action sequence, but Kemp manages to do some worldbuilding through the brief descriptions of the tomb, including its murals, artifacts etc. without sidetracking from their mission.

For next tomorrow evening and Saturday morning's long car rider, I've got The Rage of the Dragon by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. For my week at the beach, I've got Gardens of the Moon and The Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson. The sample chapter of Gardens included a witch, a couple of necromancers and some shadow hounds--a great hook for a reader like myself, in other words.

OchrisO
06-28-2012, 08:05 PM
The Elric stories are awesome. I keep meaning to go back and read them again, but haven't ever gotten around to it.

I am now reading The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie. This is the fifth book in a row of his that I have read, starting with The Blade Itself. I think that people who are into A Song of Ice and Fire would probably enjoy them. There is a trilogy and two standalone books, plus I read somewhere that he has a deal to write four more. There's that same sort of sense about them of not being certain who the good guys are supposed to be that I think permeates ASOIaF.

mae
06-29-2012, 07:23 AM
I was flying out for a little vacation, but my flight got delayed for four hours. Worse, the book I'd taken along was in my checked baggage. So I picked up The Strain at the airport bookstore, a new hardcover remainder for 8 bucks. Read about 120 pages so far, really good. The back mentions Stephen King and Michael Crichton, but it's definitely mostly the latter. Which is good.

fernandito
06-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Just started reading this. It's the author's debut novel but I've heard some very, very good things. Really looking forward to getting into the meat of the story.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DwbuTDlVhsk/TbLRR5JFG2I/AAAAAAAAAJw/g4iCECN7Pro/s1600/Transubstantiate-richard-thomas.jpg

Dan
06-29-2012, 10:09 AM
I was flying out for a little vacation, but my flight got delayed for four hours. Worse, the book I'd taken along was in my checked baggage. So I picked up The Strain at the airport bookstore, a new hardcover remainder for 8 bucks. Read about 120 pages so far, really good. The back mentions Stephen King and Michael Crichton, but it's definitely mostly the latter. Which is good.

I've got about 50 pages left of The Strain. It's still good. Can't wait to read The Fall.

velcro_fly
06-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Only 175 pages left to go in A Dance With Dragons, f*cking loving it! :excited:

Ruthful
06-29-2012, 06:23 PM

Everything I've read by Sowell is very good.

I'm with you there.

Dan
06-29-2012, 06:35 PM
I finished The Strain. Read Willa (Stephen King short story), and started The Fall tonight.

OchrisO
06-29-2012, 06:44 PM
The Strain was really good. I think I posted about it in here shortly after it came out and no one said much. I am glad to see it getting a lot of love these days. I didn't like the third book as much as the other two though.

WeDealInLead
06-29-2012, 07:04 PM
We def. talked about it. Also randomly across the forum too.

Brice
06-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Just started reading this. It's the author's debut novel but I've heard some very, very good things. Really looking forward to getting into the meat of the story.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DwbuTDlVhsk/TbLRR5JFG2I/AAAAAAAAAJw/g4iCECN7Pro/s1600/Transubstantiate-richard-thomas.jpg

I know he writes good short stories. :)

mae
06-30-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm really enjoying The Strain, about a third in. And still nothing really about vampires, which is actually nice. I'm liking the medical part of it. Any other novels similar to this style? I guess everything by Robin Cook?

frik
06-30-2012, 11:16 AM
http://www.cemeterydance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/little01.jpg

sk

Jean
06-30-2012, 11:30 PM
bears want to read it too!!!

Ruthful
07-02-2012, 02:13 PM
http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1328003088l/15957.jpg

fernandito
07-02-2012, 02:16 PM

Nice! Anything I can read online ?

Faddah Callahan
07-02-2012, 09:09 PM
The March - E. L. Doctorow

To be followed, assuming the plan goes right, by Count Belesarius - Robert Graves.

WeDealInLead
07-03-2012, 05:34 AM
Stephen King - Desperation
Robert R. McCammon - Baal

edit: Dan Simmons - Summer of Night

Ruthful
07-03-2012, 05:07 PM
El Narco: Inside Mexico's Criminal Insurgency, by Ioan Grillo

http://american-rattlesnake.org/2011/11/narco-nation/

Patrick
07-03-2012, 09:04 PM
On Sunday, I finished, A STORM OF SWORDS (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3), by George R.R. Martin. A very long book, but worth every moment.

Currently reading, AMERICAN GODS: THE TENTH ANNIVERSARY EDITION: A NOVEL, Author's Preferred Text, by Neil Gaiman. I am enjoying it more than I did the first time a few years ago when I read the version originally released.

alkanto
07-04-2012, 12:36 AM
http://www.shapcumbria.co.uk/images/withnail-i-screenplay.jpg
:D :D :D

mae
07-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Ordered this baby, looks fascinating:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514noSTREVL.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/books/a-farewell-to-arms-with-hemingways-alternate-endings.html?_r=1

In an interview in The Paris Review in 1958 Ernest Hemingway made an admission that has inspired frustrated novelists ever since: The final words of “A Farewell to Arms,” his wartime masterpiece, were rewritten “39 times before I was satisfied.”

Those endings have become part of literary lore, but they have never been published together in their entirety, according to his longtime publisher, Scribner.

A new edition of “A Farewell to Arms,” which was originally published in 1929, will be released next week, including all the alternate endings, along with early drafts of other passages in the book.

The new edition is the result of an agreement between Hemingway’s estate and Scribner, now an imprint of Simon & Schuster.

It is also an attempt to redirect some of the attention paid in recent years to Hemingway’s swashbuckling, hard-drinking image — through fictional depictions in the best-selling novel “The Paris Wife” and the Woody Allen film “Midnight in Paris,” for instance — back to his sizable body of work.

“I think people who are interested in writing and trying to write themselves will find it interesting to look at a great work and have some insight to how it was done,” Seán Hemingway, a grandson of Ernest Hemingway who is also a curator of Greek and Roman art at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, said in an interview. “But he is a writer who has captured the imagination of the American public, and these editions are interesting because they really focus on his work. Ultimately that’s his lasting contribution.”

The new edition concludes that the 39 endings that Hemingway referred to are really more like 47. They have been preserved in the Ernest Hemingway Collection at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston since 1979, where Seán Hemingway studied them carefully. (Bernard S. Oldsey, a Hemingway scholar, listed 41 endings in his book “Hemingway’s Hidden Craft,” but Seán Hemingway found 47 variations in manuscripts preserved at the Kennedy Library.)

The alternate endings are labeled and gathered in an appendix in the new edition, a 330-page book whose cover bears the novel’s original artwork, an illustration of a reclining man and woman, both topless.

For close readers of Hemingway the endings are a fascinating glimpse into how the novel could have concluded on a different note, sometimes more blunt and sometimes more optimistic. And since modern authors tend to produce their work on computers, the new edition also serves as an artifact of a bygone craft, with handwritten notes and long passages crossed out, giving readers a sense of an author’s process. (When asked in the 1958 Paris Review interview with George Plimpton what had stumped him, Hemingway said, “Getting the words right.”)

The endings range from a short sentence or two to several paragraphs.

In No. 1, “The Nada Ending,” Hemingway wrote, “That is all there is to the story. Catherine died and you will die and I will die and that is all I can promise you.”

The “Live-Baby Ending,” listed as No. 7, concludes, “There is no end except death and birth is the only beginning.”

And in No. 34, the “Fitzgerald ending,” suggested by Hemingway’s friend F. Scott Fitzgerald, Hemingway wrote that the world “breaks everyone,” and those “it does not break it kills.”

“It kills the very good and very gentle and the very brave impartially,” he wrote. “If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.”

Hemingway also left behind a list of alternate titles, which are reprinted in the new edition. They include “Love in War,” “World Enough and Time,” “Every Night and All” and “Of Wounds and Other Causes.” One title, “The Enchantment,” was crossed out by Hemingway.

Patrick Hemingway, Ernest Hemingway’s only surviving son, said in an interview from his home in Montana that when Scribner suggested the raw material be published, he agreed.

“They do give insight to how Hemingway was thinking,” said Patrick Hemingway, who is 84. “But it is absolutely true that no matter how much you analyze a classic bit of writing, you can never really figure out what makes talent work.”

Susan Moldow, the publisher of Scribner, said that while Hemingway is a perennial strong seller, especially for schools and libraries, “the estate is constantly wanting to present the work afresh.”

“This is one of the most important authors in American history,” she said. “And fortunately or unfortunately you need to keep refreshing or people lose interest.”

After reading the various endings, Ms. Moldow added, she didn’t question the author’s decision; the actual ending — cool and passionless after an epic tale of war and love, with the protagonist leaving a hospital in the rain — has stood the test of time.

“Ultimately,” she said, “I think we have to be glad that he went with the ending that he went with.”

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1451658168

Ernest Hemingway famously said that he rewrote the ending to A Farewell to Arms thirty-nine times to get the words right. This edition collects all of the alternative endings together for the first time, along with early drafts of other essential passages, offering new insight into Hemingway’s craft and creative process and the evolution of one of the greatest novels of the twentieth century. Featuring Hemingway’s own 1948 introduction to an illustrated reissue of the novel, a personal foreword by the author’s son Patrick Hemingway, and a new introduction by the author’s grandson Seán Hemingway, this edition of A Farewell to Arms is truly a celebration.

DoctorDodge
07-05-2012, 06:06 AM
http://img2.sfbook.com/books/large/the-last-wish.jpg

Got this as a nice little break from the usual stuff I read so I could have a nice collection of short stories to read on the train, as well as the fact that I've just gotten back to the game The Witcher which I've really been enjoying. I must say, it's been really absorbing so far. The collection focuses on Geralt, a "Witcher", a mutated human who hunts for monsters. However, despite not being a fan of the fantasy genre, the world presented in the Witcher certainly seems just a little more in-depth, as not only is Geralt a man you couldn't really label as good or evil, just a man doing a job, but the other characters introduced seem to be more three dimensional and surprising than the usual bunch. The whole thing so far reminds me of GRRM's work, (especially the King,) only with more of a singular focus on one character rather than an epic cast. Unsurprising, considering that this is a short story collection rather than a novel, although this does lead into a novel series, from what I've heard. Looking forward to reading a lot more anyway.

http://www.shapcumbria.co.uk/images/withnail-i-screenplay.jpg
:D :D :D

You have exceptional taste! (Just like whoever bought you that book, I expect. :D)

The Road Virus
07-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Just finished WTTK, now starting on this bad boy http://mbslibrary.typepad.com/.a/6a011570579907970b015432062ea7970c-800wi

stkmw02
07-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Tomorrow, I'm starting on Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat that Touched the World.

alkanto
07-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Oh, awesome! That's set in a town very near where I live. I heard a lot about it when it was released....

WeDealInLead
07-06-2012, 02:37 PM
King - Desparation
Simmons - Summer of Night
Ketchum - Off Season - started it today

stkmw02
07-06-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm a fan of Iowa, though I've never been. lol My husband was in Ottumwa earlier this year for video game stuff. We're working on a documentary about arcades. Who knew the video game capitol of the world is in Iowa?

Ruthful
07-07-2012, 01:31 PM
http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327959149l/7654965.jpg

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/97/80/31/23/63/9780312363499_500X500.jpg

alkanto
07-07-2012, 01:37 PM
I'm a fan of Iowa, though I've never been. lol My husband was in Ottumwa earlier this year for video game stuff. We're working on a documentary about arcades. Who knew the video game capitol of the world is in Iowa?

Never been there myself...but glad there's another fan of my wonderful state around. :lol: We also have the Ice Cream capitol of the world, actually!

Empath of the White
07-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Elric: The Sleeping Sorceress by Michael Moorcock

This Crooked Way by James Enge

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

Brice
07-09-2012, 03:52 AM

Nice! Anything I can read online ?

I honestly don't know. I read very little online...aside from my post obsession. LOL

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-09-2012, 05:24 AM
A Clockwork Orange

Its real horrorshow!

Brice
07-09-2012, 05:24 AM

stkmw02
07-09-2012, 05:52 AM
I love A Clockwork Orange. The first copy I owned looked like this:
http://i47.tinypic.com/xmtnwg.jpg

It was tattered and old. And when it fell apart in my hands, I hunted through used book stores and yard sales to find another copy with the same cover. Something about that cover makes the book better.

Brice
07-09-2012, 05:54 AM
Does it have the excised 21st chapter or does it have the I'm Stanley Kubrick and I'll end my movie where I damn well please ending?

It is one of my favorite stories ever. :)

John Blaze
07-09-2012, 05:59 AM
War and Remembrance.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-09-2012, 06:27 AM
I am reading it on my ipad, which is handy because i have the concordance pulled up on another page with the nadsat translations so I can go back and forth. The vernacular voice is my favorite part of the book. Along with Huck Finn, I think that A Clockwork Orange is a prime example of this style of writing. I was unaware that this slang was a bastardized version of Russian. I am curious if Jean has read it, and what he thought of the slang.

Jean
07-09-2012, 06:51 AM
I am reading it on my ipad, which is handy because i have the concordance pulled up on another page with the nadsat translations so I can go back and forth. The vernacular voice is my favorite part of the book. Along with Huck Finn, I think that A Clockwork Orange is a prime example of this style of writing. I was unaware that this slang was a bastardized version of Russian. I am curious if Jean has read it, and what he thought of the slang.I'll finish (or better restart and finish) it now that I have a Kindle. I didn't like it at all when I tried first, and I found the "Russian" slang preposterous. I think I may expand on this after I've [re]read it, there's an interesting philological problem here.

Brice
07-09-2012, 09:38 AM
It is preposterous...intentionally so.

Jean
07-09-2012, 09:45 AM
yes, I know

Ruthful
07-11-2012, 09:02 AM
http://www.booklovers.co.uk/Images/BookScans/124863.jpg

Heather19
07-11-2012, 09:45 AM

How are you liking it? Its one of my favs.

Jean have you by any chance read it? If not I'd highly recommend it. It has an IT like vibe to it.

stkmw02
07-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Moved on to Dewey's Nine Lives. Still not reading as much as I'd like to... oh well.

Dan
07-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Reading Christine!

Jean
07-11-2012, 11:35 AM

Jean have you by any chance read it? If not I'd highly recommend it. It has an IT like vibe to it.
Not yet, but I already have it in Kindle format!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a whole new treasury of books now, and I am reading all the time!!!

Patrick
07-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Good for you, Jean! :thumbsup:

Heather19
07-11-2012, 05:56 PM

Not yet, but I already have it in Kindle format!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a whole new treasury of books now, and I am reading all the time!!!

Excellent! Let me know the second you read it.
And don't forget that other Austen book :)

mattgreenbean
07-11-2012, 06:17 PM
I've been enjoying Feast of Fear before bed each night. Also, I started Horns.

Brice
07-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Guillermo DelToro and Chuck Hogan's The Strain

WeDealInLead
07-12-2012, 06:19 AM

I like it. It's a very different book from the stuff Simmons is writting now. The focus is on the story, not just 'writting well'

fernandito
07-12-2012, 07:43 AM

I've heard nothing but good things. I saw the comic book / graphic novel adaptation yesterday. Looks ... interesting.

mae
07-12-2012, 08:10 AM

I've heard nothing but good things. I saw the comic book / graphic novel adaptation yesterday. Looks ... interesting.

I liked it. Very good, just read it over vacation. It's as if Michael Crichton would write a horror novel.

WeDealInLead
07-12-2012, 08:20 AM

It's a very fast read. You won't be able to put it down once you really start. I suspect Chuck Hogan wrote the actual book with Del Toro providing the plot and visuals to him. Del Toro's command of English isn't all that great. Clearly he does alright for himself but the prose has Hogan's stamp all over it: technological/scientific terminology, street/urban lingo, sharp dialogue, ridicilous tempo... all Hogan. I highly suggest this book to everyone looking for something different from a vampire book. This one ain't pretty and it gets darker and more hopeless more you read it.

Brice
07-12-2012, 08:29 AM
I'll just say that it and The Passage are the best vampire books I've read in a very long time.

fernandito
07-12-2012, 08:33 AM
It's as if Michael Crichton would write a horror novel.

SOLD.

I'll just say that it and The Passage are the best vampire books I've read in a very long time.

That's not really saying much though :lol:

WeDealInLead
07-12-2012, 08:46 AM

ditto.

Brice
07-12-2012, 08:52 AM
It's as if Michael Crichton would write a horror novel.

SOLD.

That's not really saying much though :lol:

Apparently you don't realize how many vampire books I read.

fernandito
07-12-2012, 09:20 AM
And would you consider many of those good or great ?

And if so - NAMES.

Heather19
07-12-2012, 12:40 PM

I like it. It's a very different book from the stuff Simmons is writting now. The focus is on the story, not just 'writting well'

It is. It was actually the first one I read and it got me into him. I don't know if you have plans to read the second one, but honestly I'd say to skip it. I think the first is perfect and I didn't really care where he went with the characters in the sequel.

mae
07-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Really looking forward to reading this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41hsGr18RjL.jpg

This novel demands that the reader immediately suspend disbelief, but if this summons is heeded the reward will be a superior tale told by Hamill (Snow in August; A Drinking Life) in the cadence of the master storyteller. The year is 1741 and this is the story of Cormac O'Connor-"Irish, and a Jew"-who grows up in Ireland under English Protestant rule and is secretly schooled in Gaelic religion, myth and language. Seeking to avenge the murder of his father by the Earl of Warren, he follows the trail of the earl to New York City. On board ship, Cormac befriends African slave Kongo, and once in New York, the two join a rebellion against the British. After the rising is quelled, mobs take to the streets and Kongo is seized. Cormac saves Kongo from death, but is shot in the process. His recovery takes a miraculous turn when Kongo's dead priestess, Tomora, appears and grants Cormac eternal life and youth-so long as he never leaves the island of Manhattan, thus the "Forever" of the title. What follows is a portrait of the "city of memory of which Cormac was the only citizen." Cormac fights in the American Revolution, sups with Boss Tweed (in a very sympathetic portrait) and lives into the New York of 2001. In that year he warily falls in love with Delfina, a streetwise Dominican ("That was the curse attached to the gift: You buried everyone you loved"), and comes into contact with a descendant of the Earl of Warren, the newspaper publisher Willie Warren. His love, his drive for revenge and his very desire to exist are fatefully challenged on the eve and the day of September 11. This rousing, ambitious work is beautifully woven around historical events and characters, but it is Hamill's passionate pursuit of justice and compassion-Celtic in foundation-that distinguishes this tale of New York City and its myriad peoples.

Anybody read this?

Jean
07-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Guys, I have copied the "sauce assault" posts to this new thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?15706-How-Seriously-Do-We-Take-Books).

Ruthful
07-14-2012, 05:56 PM
http://hodder.co.uk/Assets/MagazineArticle/book%20of%20books_summary.jpg

http://www.marshall.edu/LIBRARY/bannedbooks/Images/happyendings.jpg

Brice
07-14-2012, 06:20 PM
And would you consider many of those good or great ?

And if so - NAMES.

:nope: Not until you read those too. I am holding out on you. Those are the best since Fevre Dream anyhow. :)

WeDealInLead
07-15-2012, 07:08 AM
Tobias Buckel - Sly Mongoose
Neal Stephenson - The Big U

Odetta
07-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Just finished Game of Thrones... onto Clash of Kings

Patrick
07-16-2012, 01:55 PM

Currently reading, FAHRENHEIT 451, by Ray Bradbury (re-read)

jhanic
07-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Just started Wizard and Glass in my reread of The Dark Tower series. Better than I remembered!

John

John Blaze
07-16-2012, 05:08 PM

how you liking it?

I'm currently rereading Clash, actually. Also rereading War and Remembrance and I started Animal Farm last night...

mystima
07-16-2012, 07:15 PM
here is what i am reading at the moment

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cd/HSBHill.jpg/200px-HSBHill.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/29/Joehillhorns.jpg/200px-Joehillhorns.jpg
http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n44/n221524.jpg

Jean
07-17-2012, 12:49 AM
Just started Wizard and Glass in my reread of The Dark Tower series. Better than I remembered!

JohnI have to admit, it does get better on re-read

Patrick
07-17-2012, 09:10 AM
here is what i am reading at the moment

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cd/HSBHill.jpg/200px-HSBHill.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/29/Joehillhorns.jpg/200px-Joehillhorns.jpg
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18200000/The-day-of-the-djinn-warriors-children-of-the-lamp-18287479-336-500.jpg
I love Joe Hill. Please let us know what you think of his novels.

Odetta
07-18-2012, 08:59 AM

how you liking it?

Well, I enjoyed the first book, but I had watched the first season already, so I knew what was going on. Just started book 2 but I am not going to watch season 2 until I am finished the book and see what I think!

Mattrick
07-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Finally got a copy of The Scarlet Letter. Reading it on my vaction.

alkanto
07-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Started Vol. 1 of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen this afternoon. This one won't take me very long at all...it is very good!

WeDealInLead
07-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Started Vol. 1 of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen this afternoon. This one won't take me very long at all...it is very good!

YES YES YES! Read all of them in publishing order. New one just came out.

Roast
07-19-2012, 12:37 PM
I've been tumbling through book one of the Illuminatus! trilogy for a couple of weeks now - the Eye in the Pyramid - and I'd definitely highly recommend it...that is, if you enjoy an incredibly schizophrenic narrative, consistently travelling to and fro between tenses, and acres upon acres of name-dropping (sounds...familiar, now that I think about it.)
Yes. It's pretty excellent, although I've heard a lot of mixed reviews from people who believe it to be just a smidge too wacky for their tastes.
If anybody browsing this page has read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. :)

Ka-mai
07-19-2012, 06:04 PM
The Three Musketeers. I can't say I understand every sentence (some of them seem ridiculously convoluted to me), but I do understand every paragraph! It's pretty enjoyable although I'm ready for some serious plot to happen, instead of hints that plot will happen soon.

Shannon
07-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Reading through Nightmares & Dreamscapes. "Chattery Teeth" was excellent, but what. the. fuck. was up with "Dedication"? Easily the worst King short story I've ever read. Blah and yuck.

Jean
07-19-2012, 11:10 PM
<...>what. the. fuck. was up with "Dedication"? Easily the worst King short story I've ever read. Blah and yuck.I remember that it bored me to tears and I've never re-read it.

Reading now: Summer of Night, by Dan Simmons. Fantastic.

WeDealInLead
07-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Agreed. Where are you in the book? I'm right at the middle point. Actually, more like 55% done.

Jean
07-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Agreed. Where are you in the book? I'm right at the middle point. Actually, more like 55% done.I only started today, 15% in

divemaster
07-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Reading through Nightmares & Dreamscapes. "Chattery Teeth" was excellent, but what. the. fuck. was up with "Dedication"? Easily the worst King short story I've ever read. Blah and yuck.

I didn't find much to like in Nightmares & Dreamscapes. Weak collection. Only a few nuggets.

neosatus
07-21-2012, 04:30 AM
http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1291999900l/9850443.jpg

Nearly finished and really loving it.

WeDealInLead
07-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Still reading Summer of Night. Just finished Red Nails by Robert E. Howard and holy fucking racism Batman! I couldn't believe that shit. This wasn't some fencewalking (like Simmon's slight xenophobia in Song of Kali and Phases of Gravity), this was just straight up good ol' Texas boy racism. Holy fuck! I'm still not over it. Calling Conan's enemies (who are always black) "black dogs", negroes etc. Conan being fueled by "racial anger". I heard that Howard was racist but sometimes you don't believe something until you see it. That being said, the stories were good. But if he were to write like that today, his career would be even shorter lived than it really was.