PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Ruthful
08-18-2011, 08:40 PM
brian keene - conspiracy of one

The Offspring are suing for copyright infringement.

:P

pathoftheturtle
08-19-2011, 04:20 AM
It. Definitely. After The Stand, it's my favorite King book.Yes, indeed; not counting TDT, those are his best. I'd say that after It, The Stand is my favorite King book.
Must you ALWAYS be so contrary?:rolleyes:

:P :grouphug:

I'm NOT being contrary.
In fact, just the opposite. :lol:

;) :grouphug:

candy
08-19-2011, 09:11 AM
It's much better than the film, Candy. I think you'll enjoy it. :thumbsup:

I just got the film as well, I was debating about reading a bit then watching a bit. But I thought that would ruin them both, so I am reading the book first.

So far so good, its like a twisted version of The Karate kid so far :wtf::wtf::wtf:

Ricky
08-19-2011, 11:35 AM
:lol:

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend what you're doing now: book first, then film.

pixiedark76
08-19-2011, 12:23 PM
I am reading "From a Buick 8" by Stephen King. This is one of my most favorite books by SK. There are Buick's everywhere!

Ben Staad
08-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Children of the Night by Dan Simmons

ELazansky
08-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Slob by Rex Miller - not something I would normally read, but the book was a gift, and I try not to pass up the chance to read something new.

biomieg
08-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Why is that, Eric? Why you wouldn't normally read that book I mean. I have never read anything by Rex Miller but I've heard good things about this book.

I am currently reading THE FALL (sequel to THE STRAIN by Del Toro and Hogan). I like these books a lot!

ELazansky
08-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Why is that, Eric? Why you wouldn't normally read that book I mean. I have never read anything by Rex Miller but I've heard good things about this book.

I am currently reading THE FALL (sequel to THE STRAIN by Del Toro and Hogan). I like these books a lot!

I guess I meant to say it this way....

I've heard nothing but good things about it either, so I'm glad I am reading it. But, if I was in a store or library looking for something new to read, I don't know if I would have picked it up myself. Horror is not my number one genre (King excluded). There are so many talented authors out there, I'd never be able to read them all. So far, it is a good read.

biomieg
08-19-2011, 01:08 PM
That's what I thought you meant. One of the things I like about TDT.org is that I learn about so many authors I did not know and I look forward to reading many of them, Rex Miller included. I'm not really a horror fan either, but I'd be happy to give some books/authors a chance.

ELazansky
08-19-2011, 01:19 PM
That's what I thought you meant. One of the things I like about TDT.org is that I learn about so many authors I did not know and I look forward to reading many of them, Rex Miller included. I'm not really a horror fan either, but I'd be happy to give some books/authors a chance.

When I'm done with it, I'll send it to you if you like.

WeDealInLead
08-19-2011, 02:01 PM
That would actually be cool. I got it from Jerome, sent it to you, you can send it Michael.

Michael, I LOVED The Strain and The Fall. I don't want to give anything away but I don't know where they can go after The Fall.

I'm reading Bone Marrow Stew by Tim Curran. GREAT stuff.

redrose
08-20-2011, 01:17 PM
well, i will start with the Karamsov Brothers (found it for $2 usd!) and other about java or jakarta..have been trying to read it for months.

Bethany
08-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell, 50-50 because Ricky highly recommended it and another friend really liked the movie.

educatedlady
08-20-2011, 02:01 PM
The Looking Glass Wars (book 1) by by Frank Beddor

Ricky
08-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell, 50-50 because Ricky highly recommended it and another friend really liked the movie.

YES.

And then you are commanded to watch the film. Immediately.

fernandito
08-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Is it a quick read, Rick ? Or is it a lengthy novel ? I want to watch the film, but if it's a quick read then I might just do the book first.

Bethany
08-22-2011, 07:52 AM
It's short, about the size of something you'd have to read in high school.
And I still haven't picked it up.

Ricky
08-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Is it a quick read, Rick ? Or is it a lengthy novel ? I want to watch the film, but if it's a quick read then I might just do the book first.

It's fairly short. I believe a little less than 200 pages. It's one of those rare situations where you might enjoy it more if you watch first, then read, at least it was for me. The film packs such an emotional punch and while the novel does as well, the film might be just a little better in that regard. I'd say watch, then use the novel as a means to further flesh out the characters.

DoctorDodge
08-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Currently reading: Warhammer 40,000: Ravenor by Dan Abnett.

Been a fan of a lot of Abnett's comic stuff in 2000AD, especially when they concern epic battles and bloody violence in spades. I've heard the Warhammer 40K books have plenty of this, and unsurprisingly, I've heard his books specifically were the best for epic scifi carnage. Considering I'm barely over 10 pages in and already some pretty sweet action has taken place, I'd say it definitely looks to be promising!

Still Servant
08-22-2011, 05:57 PM

It's fairly short. I believe a little less than 200 pages. It's one of those rare situations where you might enjoy it more if you watch first, then read, at least it was for me. The film packs such an emotional punch and while the novel does as well, the film might be just a little better in that regard. I'd say watch, then use the novel as a means to further flesh out the characters.

I'm currently 150 pages into George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire: Storm of Swords. Every book seems short when you compare them to that series.

Merlin1958
08-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Road Dogs

by Elmore Leonard

pixiedark76
08-23-2011, 01:47 PM
I have decided to read the Dark Tower books after all. I am reading Wolves of the Calla.

jhanic
08-23-2011, 04:52 PM
You're not starting with Wolves, are you?

John

Bethany
08-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Winter's Bone took one bubble bath to knock out. Man, that was bleak and depressing.

Ricky
08-23-2011, 07:04 PM
But you like it, yes?

Bethany
08-24-2011, 07:31 AM
I honestly don't know how to answer that, Ricky. I am often accused of being bleak, dark and morbid in my entertainment tastes but, man, this was rough. Content aside, I wasn't really keen on the writing style either. Woodrell tried too hard to craft intricate sentences.

Ka-mai
08-24-2011, 08:56 AM
In the past three days I have read Monique and the Mango Rains, Just a Geek and The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. I loved them all.

fernandito
08-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Dayum girl ! You got down ! Were they all quick reads , or were you in beast mode ?

Hammer
08-24-2011, 09:49 AM
The stand (expanded version) loving it :)

candy
08-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Finished Let the Right one in, and bloody loved it. It was a little gory in places (obviously) but I loved the relationship between the two children and i esp lovedThe end when Eli comes back for his friend. And they both lived happily ever after

Now I am off to watch the Swedish version, (I am half tempted to rent the american version just to see how much they would dare put in)

pixiedark76
08-24-2011, 12:24 PM
You're not starting with Wolves, are you?

John

No I read the first three earlier in the year.

Ruthful
08-24-2011, 12:56 PM
http://vulpeslibris.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/blindside.jpg

Odetta
08-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Just finished Dan Brown - The Lost Symbol

I like reading Brown... it's an easy quick read.

At the behest of my 10 year old, I am going to try to get through the first Harry Potter book. Everyone seems to be telling me once I get through it, the others just get better and better.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Currently reading Mysterious Island (Verne)

Merlin, I have Rum Punch but havent read it yet. Have you read any other Elmore Leonard? I've heard good things but havent read any yet. His books make great movies though.

Ruthful
08-24-2011, 08:55 PM
http://i43.tower.com/images/mm100089271/dead-mans-walk-larry-mcmurtry-paperback-cover-art.jpg

mystima
08-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Just finished The Exorcist. That was one psychological ride from beginning to end. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact it ended...hehe...Thanks to Jean for the recommendation. Now I am going to start Song of Fire and Ice series...found the books at Target for a song....song...hahaha. Can't wait to see what those are like.

jhanic
08-25-2011, 05:04 AM

The movie is great! How is the book?

John

John Blaze
08-25-2011, 07:21 AM
http://i43.tower.com/images/mm100089271/dead-mans-walk-larry-mcmurtry-paperback-cover-art.jpg

you, my friend, are awesome.

John Blaze
08-25-2011, 07:22 AM
Just finished The Exorcist. That was one psychological ride from beginning to end. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact it ended...hehe...Thanks to Jean for the recommendation. Now I am going to start Song of Fire and Ice series...found the books at Target for a song....song...hahaha. Can't wait to see what those are like.

You'll LOVE them!

Ricky
08-25-2011, 07:56 AM
I honestly don't know how to answer that, Ricky. I am often accused of being bleak, dark and morbid in my entertainment tastes but, man, this was rough. Content aside, I wasn't really keen on the writing style either. Woodrell tried too hard to craft intricate sentences.

Hmm...it's been awhile so I can't recall any specific instances where I thought that was the case, but I know what you mean. Jeeze, I hope you can make it through the movie.

but I loved the relationship between the two children and i esp lovedThe end when Eli comes back for his friend. And they both lived happily ever after

Glad you like it, Candy! The one thing that I was a little confused about was I wasn't sure if Eli was in the suitcase at the end. I don't think it was as obvious as it could've been, if that's what the author intended.

I like reading Brown... it's an easy quick read.

I'm a big Brown fan too. His books are a little formulatic, but really enjoyable.

Bethany
08-25-2011, 08:05 AM
I need to play with puppies in the sunshine to cleanse my sould from Winter's Bone. :p

I love Angels & Demons. It makes me want to go to Rome. DaVinci Code makes me want to stab puppies in the sunshine.

Ricky
08-25-2011, 08:08 AM
You're going to need to place a large order for puppies, it seems.

candy
08-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Ricky, I read it as being
That Eli was in the suitcase, The case was a really old fashioned one, (those tended to be big and chunky and would be light proof) as Oskar looked really happy, the back end of the book he was really lost and was waiting for something which I read to be Eli, so it would stand that when he saved him and they started a new life that he would be really happy. The other thing that sold the idea was that he said, no one was meeting him but he would have help with the case (as it would be evening when they got there)

The thing that I questioned (a question for a question:cool:)
The witnesses to the pool incident say that oskar was completley blue - I took this as he had died and Eli had 'resurrected' him, am i readin that wrong?

jhanic
08-25-2011, 09:22 AM
I like a bit more "meat on the bone" than I find in Dan Brown's novels. For a quick summer-type read, I guess they're okay, though.

John

candy
08-25-2011, 09:50 AM
They are ok for a beach read as you say, or brain candy after a deep book.

I am currently reading a little book called 'In Search of elvis' which is looking into the weird and wonderful world of the elvis fandom

Ricky
08-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Ricky, I read it as being
That Eli was in the suitcase, The case was a really old fashioned one, (those tended to be big and chunky and would be light proof) as Oskar looked really happy, the back end of the book he was really lost and was waiting for something which I read to be Eli, so it would stand that when he saved him and they started a new life that he would be really happy. The other thing that sold the idea was that he said, no one was meeting him but he would have help with the case (as it would be evening when they got there)

The thing that I questioned (a question for a question:cool:)
The witnesses to the pool incident say that oskar was completley blue - I took this as he had died and Eli had 'resurrected' him, am i readin that wrong?

Ah, okay. That makes sense. I just wish he would've hinted at that a little more. Though, like you said, I think that Oskar was happy while carrying it proves it. Thanks. :)

Regarding your question, I didn't take it that Eli brought back Oskar. It's been awhile since I read it, but I'm guessing it was just one of those situations where the character gets out "just in time".

Ka-mai
08-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Dayum girl ! You got down ! Were they all quick reads , or were you in beast mode ?

:lol: Mostly beast mode, I'm unemployed in a new town and classes don't start til next week. However the first two weren't terribly long.

Odetta: Read Harry Potter!!!! :panic: Each one is better than the last, pretty much.

Jean
08-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Just finished The Exorcist. That was one psychological ride from beginning to end. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact it ended...hehe...Thanks to Jean for the recommendation. :rose: :rose: :rose:

Ruthful
08-26-2011, 12:46 AM

you, my friend, are awesome.

Ditto.

FWIW, I should have started reading this years ago. I read Lonesome Dove in a week and a half in college and it's still one of my favorite novels. It's also probably the best book I read that was part of a college syllabus.

Ruthful
08-26-2011, 12:47 AM

The movie is great! How is the book?

John

Pretty good so far. I just finished reading Liar's Poker. I never realized what a great storyteller Michael Lewis is, even though I used to read his work in the New York Times Magazine all the time.

Odetta
08-26-2011, 06:42 AM
I like a bit more "meat on the bone" than I find in Dan Brown's novels. For a quick summer-type read, I guess they're okay, though.

John

I agree... but sometimes, I need a book I can finish off in a few days. I am a slow reader. I almost feel like his books are like watching a TV show in the way he presents them.

DoctorDodge
08-26-2011, 07:11 AM

John

I agree... but sometimes, I need a book I can finish off in a few days. I am a slow reader. I almost feel like his books are like watching a TV show in the way he presents them.

I'm exactly the same, Odetta. I liked the Da Vinci Code for what it was, but it does lack substance. Like the book I'm reading at the moment, Ravenor: definitely style over substance, but a nice easy read, especially since it's full of bloody future warfare, which is more my cup of tea than Dan Brown, really.

Garrell
08-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Half way through "Full Dark, No Stars" and loving it. Maybe it is just me but really have enjoyed SK's recent works more than some of the middle works.

fernandito
08-26-2011, 07:36 AM
Putting the finishing touches on Shadow Puppets, then I'll probably move on to my reread of Shadows of the Empire.

http://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwiki.org/05/3/2/6/02037093823321842.jpg

Bethany
08-26-2011, 07:40 AM
I think I will knock out Dorian Gray in tonight's bubble bath.

DoctorDodge
08-26-2011, 07:41 AM
Putting the finishing touches on Shadow Puppets, then I'll probably move on to my reread of Shadows of the Empire.

http://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwiki.org/05/3/2/6/02037093823321842.jpg

:thumbsup:

mae
08-27-2011, 08:29 AM
Just finished The Exorcist. That was one psychological ride from beginning to end. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact it ended...hehe...Thanks to Jean for the recommendation. :rose: :rose: :rose:

http://www.theninthconfiguration.com/#aug32011

Dear TNC.com readers - a bit of new and exciting news from Bill regarding the 40th Anniversary Edition of The Exorcist!

Dear Ryan,

I forgot to tell you that the 40th Anniversary Edition of The Exorcist will have a touch of new material in it as part of an all-around polish of the dialogue and prose. First time around I never had the time (meaning the funds) to do a second draft, and this, finally, is it. With forty years to think about it, a few little changes were inevitable -- plus one new character in a totally new very spooky scene. This is the version I would like to be remembered for.

All the best,
Bill

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0062094351/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41p9Iv-TufL..jpg

Yaksha
08-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Because it's 20th anniversary is coming up

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/RagingWookiee/Heir_to_the_Empire.jpg

DoctorDodge
08-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Because it's 20th anniversary is coming up

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/RagingWookiee/Heir_to_the_Empire.jpg

Again, as with feev: :thumbsup:

WeDealInLead
08-27-2011, 12:29 PM
I support your decision to read those SW books. Also , The Thrawn Trilogy.

noal
08-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Currently reading 'A History Of Britain' Vol 2 by Simon Schama, which is around a 1000 pages long.
I thought I should have a proper read of my countries history as I wasn't really listening when at school.
It does the soul good to see the many mistakes of the past, although we are all making new ones.
In a hundred years time, people will look back and think of us as ridiculous and selfish just as I look back now.

Then on to The Talisman, which I have had for 5 months but not gotten around to yet, although I have read Black House!

Jean
08-28-2011, 11:10 AM
I love Schama's books. I've only read the first two volumes - have been unable to get the third yet

noal
08-28-2011, 11:21 AM
The strange thing is, when I ordered the three books from Amazon, The second and third turned up next day (prime member), but the first required 1-2 months for delivery!
Suffice to say, I had to wait a while before starting.:doh:

candy
08-29-2011, 02:37 AM
Got the Clash of the Kings

And A Feast for Crows <-- now just need the inbetween books:rofl:

Girlystevedave
08-29-2011, 08:48 PM
I just read William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying for the first time recently. I can't form all the right words to convey the love I felt for that book. It consumed a lot of my thoughts and I spent every spare moment reading it. Then re-read it immediately. Amazing. :wub:

Yaksha
09-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Just picked this up. A friend ranted about it nonstop till i got just to shut her up. its actually pretty damn good

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac336/aurymh_07/hunger.jpg

fernandito
09-02-2011, 07:42 AM
I just read William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying for the first time recently. I can't form all the right words to convey the love I felt for that book. It consumed a lot of my thoughts and I spent every spare moment reading it. Then re-read it immediately. Amazing. :wub:

Oh gods damn you. As if I needed another book to read with my damn backlog piling up. Now I want to read it.

Just picked this up. A friend ranted about it nonstop till i got just to shut her up. its actually pretty damn good

It's a decent novel. Don't get engulfed by the hype and expect something Earth shattering like I did. It's an entertaining, rabidly paced read, but nothing life changing.

jhanic
09-02-2011, 07:45 AM
I started reading my proof of 11/22/63 last night.

John

Darkthoughts
09-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Go and stand in the corner! :P

Jean
09-02-2011, 07:50 AM
yes. Some people just have no consideration for others.

jhanic
09-02-2011, 09:12 AM
:evil:

John

Yaksha
09-02-2011, 11:15 AM

Oh gods damn you. As if I needed another book to read with my damn backlog piling up. Now I want to read it.

It's a decent novel. Don't get engulfed by the hype and expect something Earth shattering like I did. It's an entertaining, rabidly paced read, but nothing life changing.

It ain't earth shattering or anything. I expected a realtively dull novel so I am pleasantly surprised that it isn't sucking. Not the best book I ever read but it is good. Not near the hype my friend made it out to be

Ricky
09-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Started reading Darkfall by Dean Koontz last night. It's intriguing so far, but my mind was near explosion mode when I started, so I didn't get very far.

alkanto
09-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm rereading A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin again. This is my 4th time through the series, and it is amazing how many more people will actually stop me and talk to me about it, now that the HBO series has come out. It's awesome :)

mystima
09-02-2011, 05:54 PM

Read the whole series this summer and I like the of the way the story unfolded. My daughter read it afterwards and was excited with all the things in the books.

Am having to put a hold on my other books I was going to read because the books got lost in my house so am now reading Diary of a Fairy Godmother. It is a children's book but then again so was Harry Potter(yeah right). My daughter found it at wally world for a dollar and said I would like it. One of the characters in this book is Auntie Malice (AKA Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty) which i found funny...will give a short review when done.

Garrell
09-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Started reading Darkfall by Dean Koontz last night. It's intriguing so far, but my mind was near explosion mode when I started, so I didn't get very far.

One of Koontz's best ... in my humble opinion:ghost_002:

Ricky
09-03-2011, 07:24 AM
That's good to hear. I plan on doing some major reading this weekend so hopefully I'll get a little farther.

Hannah
09-03-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm currently working on Dies the Fire by John Sterling alongside the numerous comics I have at my desk courtesy of a coworker. I think I'm going to go buy Ready Player One as I've heard nothing but great things about it from a bunch of different people. That'll be my next read.

pixiedark76
09-03-2011, 12:43 PM
I finished "Song of Susannah" and now I am starting "The Dark Tower 7"

SigTauGimp
09-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Trying my best to get through ASOIAF...about two-thirds into GoT. So far, just not feeling it. =/

Ka-mai
09-05-2011, 07:12 AM
I'm reading A Dance With Dragons. :ASOIAF high five: I thought GoT was really good, maybe because I watched the series first, though.

mae
09-05-2011, 07:47 AM
In honor of the tenth anniversary on 9/11 I'll be starting this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-A0vANU5L.jpg

It's a monster of a book, nearly 1500 pages, and it's only volume one of projected two (I think; the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham:_A_History_of_New_York_City_to_1898) for the book says "Wallace is currently working on the sequel to the book, which will cover New York City history up to World War II"). Took the authors 20 years to write this one, so not sure when the second will come, but supposedly they're working on it.

Ruthful
09-07-2011, 04:39 PM
http://winstonsdad.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/norweigan-wood.jpg

mae
09-07-2011, 05:01 PM
The only Murakami book missing from my collection. No hardcover edition yet...

fernandito
09-08-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm reading A Dance With Dragons. :ASOIAF high five: I thought GoT was really good, maybe because I watched the series first, though.

Nice ! How far along are you in ADWD ?

Darkthoughts
09-08-2011, 10:02 AM
I think I'm going to go buy Ready Player One as I've heard nothing but great things about it from a bunch of different people. That'll be my next read.
I noticed that on your fb status the other day and have ordered it :thumbsup:

Awesome, awesome book G! If you haven't already read them, and you like Murakami, try A Wild Sheep Chase followed by Dance Dance Dance next, they link to each other and are two of my very favourites.
Pablo, have you read it though?

mae
09-08-2011, 11:36 AM
No, not yet. I'll read it when a good edition of it is published. I just don't like reading paperbacks (or ebooks for that matter). The tactile experience is very important to me.

Ka-mai
09-08-2011, 02:21 PM

Nice ! How far along are you in ADWD ?

About 2/3... I don't have class tomorrow so I will probably finish by Saturday. I'm kind of ready to be done with it so I can do a reread and understand all the stuff that didn't make sense the first time. :P

pixiedark76
09-08-2011, 03:38 PM
I finished "The Dark Tower 7" and now I am going to read "Cell"

Cujo56
09-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Currently reading Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman.

Ruthful
09-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I think I'm going to go buy Ready Player One as I've heard nothing but great things about it from a bunch of different people. That'll be my next read.
I noticed that on your fb status the other day and have ordered it :thumbsup:

Awesome, awesome book G! If you haven't already read them, and you like Murakami, try A Wild Sheep Chase followed by Dance Dance Dance next, they link to each other and are two of my very favourites.
Pablo, have you read it though?

I'll need to check that out. So far I've been mostly reading his non-fiction books. Also, Sputnik Sweetheart, which I loved.

http://stargazerpuj.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/the-bonesetters-daughter.jpg

Darkthoughts
09-08-2011, 11:31 PM
No, not yet. I'll read it when a good edition of it is published. I just don't like reading paperbacks (or ebooks for that matter). The tactile experience is very important to me.
Wow, you've got a lot of willpower! :D Well, I hope you get hold of one one day, it's such a great story :thumbsup:

G, I haven't read any of his non fiction, how did you find it?

Yaksha
09-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Just started my 2nd read through Under the Dome.

The Road Virus
09-10-2011, 12:45 PM
http://i43.tower.com/images/mm100308850/bright-orange-for-shroud-john-d-macdonald-paperback-cover-art.jpg

noal
09-10-2011, 03:43 PM
In honor of the tenth anniversary on 9/11 I'll be starting this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-A0vANU5L.jpg

It's a monster of a book, nearly 1500 pages, and it's only volume one of projected two (I think; the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham:_A_History_of_New_York_City_to_1898) for the book says "Wallace is currently working on the sequel to the book, which will cover New York City history up to World War II"). Took the authors 20 years to write this one, so not sure when the second will come, but supposedly they're working on it.

I've just ordered this, seems interesting.

Thanks for the tip!

mae
09-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Sure thing. I found it by accident myself. I love sprawling histories, so this is right up my alley. It's very interesting. This tells the story of New York City, the island of Manhattan, from the ice age to the unification of the five boroughs. The second volume being worked on now will indeed get up to 1945. Hopefully a third volume will also be published to take it into the 21st century.

SigTauGimp
09-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Nearly done with GoT. I have to say, while I had my doubts during the first third or so of the book, Martin's universe has started to grow on me. At the moment, I think my favorite character may be Tyrion.

candy
09-11-2011, 06:09 AM
Nearly done with GoT. I have to say, while I had my doubts during the first third or so of the book, Martin's universe has started to grow on me. At the moment, I think my favorite character may be Tyrion.

Me too, I am on clash of Kings and end up skipping through certain characters (Catelyn mostly) to get back to my Imp

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Just added Gotham to my list, thanks Pablo!

mae
09-12-2011, 06:03 AM
Hehe, I think I should be getting royalties or something! :)

mae
09-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Speaking of Gotham, I had emailed Mr. Wallace in order to thank him for this amazing book, to ask why he decided to end the second volume at 1945, and also inquire as to a possible third volume. He just emailed back:

thanks for your note. i thought about trying to get the whole 20th century between one set of hardcovers but given the perhaps lunatic comprehensiveness of my approach, and the spectacular centrality of nyc to innumerable issues in that century, it proved impossible. 45 is also crucial as it marks, i will argue, the final arrival of the city at the terminus of its trajectory from the edge to center of the world. there will -- assuming sufficient longevity -- be a volume three, carrying the story on down to the day after tomorrow. best, mw.

fernandito
09-12-2011, 08:34 AM
http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/news/may10/utdpaperback.jpg

Emily
09-12-2011, 11:01 AM
I finished Dance with Dragons but haven't ventured into the thread to catch up on everyone's opinions and don't really have the energy to say how I feel about it, other than I thought it was pretty good but was generally underwhelmed. I dunno.

I also just read this book called One Day, apparently a movie version is coming out soon with Anne Hathaway. Anyway someone suggested it to me and the ending was horrible and I'm annoyed I even read it. SO. I need something great to read now.

mae
09-12-2011, 11:21 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518Dtpo5pfL.jpg

Read almost half of this in my local Barnes & Noble. Was just browsing, and started reading, thinking just to get the gist of it, and couldn't stop. Couple of hours later, thoroughly shaken, I had to leave. Maybe will pick it up as it drops in price. Good companion to The Looming Tower and The Longest War.

SigTauGimp
09-13-2011, 01:30 AM
Tempis, have you read any Patrick Rothfuss? If you're a fan of fantasy, I highly, highly recommend it. He's only written two books so far, The Name Of The Wind, and The Wise Man's Fear...both of which are a part of his The Kingkiller Chronicles series.

The Name Of The Wind was his first novel, and after reading it, Rothfuss immediately shot up to my top three all-time favorite authors. I'm a huge fantasy fan, so that's very high praise, coming from me.

The story, characters, and writing style are absolutely brilliant. If you haven't read it, enjoy fantasy, and are looking for something new, definitely give it a go.

pixiedark76
09-13-2011, 08:48 AM
I am reading "Lisey's Story" by Stephen King.

jhanic
09-13-2011, 09:29 AM
One of my less favorite King books.

John

OchrisO
09-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Tempis, have you read any Patrick Rothfuss? If you're a fan of fantasy, I highly, highly recommend it. He's only written two books so far, The Name Of The Wind, and The Wise Man's Fear...both of which are a part of his The Kingkiller Chronicles series.

The Name Of The Wind was his first novel, and after reading it, Rothfuss immediately shot up to my top three all-time favorite authors. I'm a huge fantasy fan, so that's very high praise, coming from me.

The story, characters, and writing style are absolutely brilliant. If you haven't read it, enjoy fantasy, and are looking for something new, definitely give it a go.

I agree completely with this. I wish he wrote faster, though. haha.

I am reading The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks. I am not far into it yet, but it is pretty good so far.

SigTauGimp
09-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Just finished up GoT, and starting CoK. I will admit, the first half of Game had me nearly bored to tears, but it did get better as it went along. I was hooked by the end, hence me immediately picking up Clash. :P

And I totally agree, 0chris0...but I'm sure that's part of what makes his writing soo great. That extended (to us, agonizing) wait between books definitely gives him ample time to polish his stories to what we know and love. :D

Jean
09-13-2011, 11:56 PM
my condolences

OchrisO
09-14-2011, 12:15 AM
Just finished up GoT, and starting CoK. I will admit, the first half of Game had me nearly bored to tears, but it did get better as it went along. I was hooked by the end, hence me immediately picking up Clash. :P

And I totally agree, 0chris0...but I'm sure that's part of what makes his writing soo great. That extended (to us, agonizing) wait between books definitely gives him ample time to polish his stories to what we know and love. :D

I have heard some interviews with him where he talks about the crazy amount of editing he constantly does.

Do you read his blog? It is pretty entertaining, as is liking his facebook page.

Ruthful
09-14-2011, 01:25 AM
http://i43.tower.com/images/mm108709344/russia-war-1941-1945-alexander-werth-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Darkthoughts
09-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Reading Ready Player One and currently think anyone that grew up in the 80's or that is the slightest bit geeky has to read this book right now!

mae
09-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Ruthful, that looks interesting. I myself have read about half of Richard J. Evans's Third Reich Trilogy, but haven't gotten to the war years yet. Fascinating. Speaking of Russia (and maybe Jean can chime in here), with this year being the 20th anniversary of the collapse of the Soviet Union, I was looking for some definitive account, but after spending quite some time on Amazon, there doesn't seem to be anything substantial on the subject, at least nothing serious and comprehensive. Is there really nothing like that?

pixiedark76
09-14-2011, 02:08 PM

One of my less favorite King books.

John

my condolences

Actually it is one of my favorite SK books. Definitely in my to ten.

Ka-mai
09-14-2011, 02:10 PM
my condolences

:rofl: Indeed!

All you ASOIAF people: Get in the thread! I've been wanting to talk about it since I finished and nobody's posting. <_<

pixiedark76
09-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Too everyone who does not like "Lisey's Story"

:FU: :tongue1:

Ruthful
09-14-2011, 08:50 PM
http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/100400000/100409008.JPG

Darkthoughts
09-14-2011, 11:27 PM
:lol: It's one of my top ten too Pixie :couple:

fernandito
09-15-2011, 10:06 AM
I have Lisey's Story sitting on a shelf at home, but I have absolutely no desire to read it. This makes me feel bad because it was a gift :blush:

Lord_Vertigo
09-15-2011, 11:38 AM
William Shakespear's "Coriolanus" - reading that before the movie comes out, and absolutely loving it.

I've also spent the last several re-reading the DT books for the second time (first time was when the last three books were originally released - never bought them at the time, just spent hours on my days off reading them in the bookstore). I'm reading them on Kindle this time, so it's hard to tell where I'm at. I'm about to read "Gran-Pere's Tale" when Eddie talks with Tian Jaffords grandfather.

noal
09-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Currently halfway through Vol.3 of "A History of Britain" by Simon Schama.

Then onto either The Talisman or Debunking 9/11 debunking (strange title!) by David Ray Griffin.

Can't decide!

pixiedark76
09-19-2011, 04:26 PM
I am now reading "Duma Key" by Stephen King.

jhanic
09-19-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm slowly reading my proof of 11/22/63 and also reading McCammon's The Five.

John

fernandito
09-20-2011, 07:44 AM
I am now reading "Duma Key" by Stephen King.

I'm sorry.

Jean
09-20-2011, 07:48 AM
: faints :

it's one of his best books ever!

DoctorDodge
09-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Hmm, i've yet to read Duma Key, but one of my favourite things about this board is the wildly differing tastes, not just with Duma Key but other books like Lisey's Story, which I'm guessing you didn't enjoy in the slightest Jean but others seemed to have enjoyed greatly. This can be applied to books by other writers and tv shows, if the Greatest TV Tournament earlier this year is anything to go by. Even you and I have different tastes on a few things, bears: whilst I distinctly remember reading you weren't exactly a fan of Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker books, I must admit that I've greatly enjoyed the first book and radio series. Don't think I've ever come across a board with such a variety of tastes, quite honestly.

Jean
09-20-2011, 08:48 AM
right... though I too enjoyed Douglas Adams - I am not a fan, nor did I actually love the books, but I sure read with pleasure

Please, do read Duma Key! I strongly suspect you are going to like, if not love, it

DoctorDodge
09-20-2011, 08:55 AM
I could've sworn I read that you despised the Hitchhiker's books. Must've gotten that mixed up with someone else, then. Or possibly another book. Hmm, I think my memory is in need of a tune-up or two!

And I will get round to reading Duma Key, as soon as I've finished the other 5 (at least) books I need to finish. American Gods first, as Bethany promised she'd watch a Who ep of my recommendation if I finished it! :lol:

alkanto
09-20-2011, 08:59 AM
I personally love Douglas Adams! What was the who story he wrote that we were discussing, James? And on the subject of the King books, I've never actually read either Under the Dome or Lisey's Story. The mixed reviews on this board for both make me a little hesitant to read them, honestly. It seems like they split the crowd pretty cleanly. Either you love them or despise them... :orely:

I've been really slow with my own reading lately, though...I'm getting closer to finishing A Storm of Swords, but I still have 250 pages left. After that, I'm not sure what I might move to. Maybe more Sherlock Holmes?

Jean
09-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I could've sworn I read that you despised the Hitchhiker's books. Must've gotten that mixed up with someone else, then. Or possibly another book. must have been another author. Dan Brown, or maybe Coelho.

alkanto: bears loved Under the Dome... they really, really recommend it

divemaster
09-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Both Under the Dome and Duma Key were very good. I think I enjoyed Duma Key just a bit more because of the depth of character. King certainly does know how to make his characters come to life in the readers' minds (and their hearts). UTD was a fast, fun ride--well plotted, grab your attention kind of story.

Lisey's Story was...meh. I didn't hate it but I don't see myself ever reading it again. Even the (somewhat) interesting characters couldn't overcome for the quite lame plot.

Chalk me up for someone who just didn't click with Douglas Adams. I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy several years ago because I love science fiction and like all sorts of comedy (cerebral, slapstick, Mel Brooks, ZAZ, Python, etc.). But, man, I didn't really laugh much or find much of interest in this book.

fernandito
09-20-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm only about 200 pages in, but I'm really enjoying Under The Dome. Great characterization by King, as usual.

mae
09-20-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm only about 200 pages in, but I'm really enjoying Under The Dome.

Why wouldn't you? It's written by Stephen King. If he'd publish his laundry list, I'd read it :)

Ricky
09-20-2011, 04:04 PM
I loved Duma Key. I think it's one of the best things King has put out in years.

I could've sworn I read that you despised the Hitchhiker's books. Must've gotten that mixed up with someone else, then. Or possibly another book. Hmm, I think my memory is in need of a tune-up or two!

I think that's me. :lol:

Heather19
09-20-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm only about 200 pages in, but I'm really enjoying Under The Dome. Great characterization by King, as usual.

:thumbsup:

I really enjoyed Duma Key, definitely near the top for me. And I hated Lisey's Story, definitely at the bottom for me :lol:

DoctorDodge
09-21-2011, 05:32 AM

I think that's me. :lol:

No, i know how much you hated those books already. I think there's a couple on this board that hate the books, if I recall. Plenty that love them, though, thankfully!

Jean
09-21-2011, 05:46 AM
I really enjoyed Duma Key, definitely near the top for me. And I hated Lisey's Story, definitely at the bottom for me :lol:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Messages/bears.jpg

Erin
09-21-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm reading The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Damn good stuff. I'm having trouble putting it down at night.

noal
09-28-2011, 03:35 AM
I'm about 200 pages into The Talisman.

My first time!

I'm enjoying it at the moment.

fernandito
09-28-2011, 08:59 AM
The Talisman is probably my second favorite King book.

pixiedark76
09-29-2011, 02:47 PM
I just finished reading "Pitch Dark" by Steven Sidor. I think this book is very scary! This book gave me nightmares! I would like to read Steven Sidors other books.

Watch out for The Pitch!

Now I am starting to read "Just After Sunset" by Stephen King.

Ruthful
09-30-2011, 01:58 PM
http://www.blogonbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Oriana-Fallaci-Interviews-blogonbooks.jpg

Yaksha
09-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Starting on my 3rd read of American Gods. This is one of my favorites

Ricky
09-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Anyone have any good horror recommendations? I plan on reading all horror novels during October gearing up for Halloween and was looking for some suggestions. So far I plan on picking up Handling the Undead and The Exorcist.

candy
10-01-2011, 04:02 AM
Just finished reading 'In Search Of Elvis' which was a really good read

There actually wasn't that much about Elvis, its more a character study of the people the author meets on his journey around the world trying to understand the pull of elvis. I was touched, amused and informed all in one book

John Blaze
10-01-2011, 06:33 AM
Starting on my 3rd read of American Gods. This is one of my favorites
Just reread Anansi Boys this week. It's great.

jhanic
10-01-2011, 07:14 AM
Finished my reading of 11/22/63 and am now rereading Full Dark, No Stars. I'm also reading Mile 81. I'm also going to start reading King's Little Green God of Agony.

John

Ricky
10-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Mini-review/rating of 11/22/63, John?

jhanic
10-01-2011, 07:29 AM
I'm still digesting it. It took a twist at the end I did not expect, and it really threw me for a loop. I had a lot of trouble "getting into" the story, but once I did, it really took off for me. I'm not about to post any spoilers or anything, though, or even a broad synopsis.

John

Ricky
10-01-2011, 07:31 AM
I was just wondering where it stands among King's recent works (Duma Key, UTD, etc.).

jhanic
10-01-2011, 09:20 AM
As I said, I'm still digesting it. I'd rank it up there with Under the Dome and Duma Key, though.

John

Ruthful
10-02-2011, 10:12 PM
http://www.cosproductions.com/img/uploads/covers/TheHeartAndTheFist.JPG

pixiedark76
10-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Anyone have any good horror recommendations? I plan on reading all horror novels during October gearing up for Halloween and was looking for some suggestions. So far I plan on picking up Handling the Undead and The Exorcist.

I would suggest anything by Stephen King. Some of the scariest are "Salem's Lot" or "Pet Semetery"

pixiedark76
10-03-2011, 10:05 AM
I am now reading "Under the Dome" by Stephen King.

Ricky
10-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Some of the scariest are "Salem's Lot" or "Pet Semetery"

Those happen to be two of my favorites. :D

pathoftheturtle
10-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Some of the scariest are "Salem's Lot" or "Pet Semetery"

Those happen to be two of my favorites. :DAnd Thinner.

Roland of Gilead 33
10-03-2011, 09:50 PM
i've been reading "Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince" it feels like forever. though it hasn't been THAT long of course. i've only got 73 pages left of it. actually. & my next project well book to read hopefully will be SK's new book when that comes out next month. i'm dying to read that sucker. i've always been curious about "JFK"s murder to be honest. &

even though the book is of course fiction. it's a great concept as well. to my best of knowledge there's been no other author who've done a "JFK" book that's been fiction. just bio's & such. unless someone here can of course prove me wrong.

Brice
10-04-2011, 06:53 AM

Short answer: Check my book list... Most are horror ranging from good to great.

Short long answer: I'll try to work on a list, but i have no idea what you've read.

alkanto
10-04-2011, 07:23 AM
I started Scarlet, book 2 of the Kind Raven Trilogy by Stephen R. Lawhead again the other day. I really enjoy this book...it might be my favorite of the series!

Heather19
10-04-2011, 01:34 PM

Short long answer: I'll try to work on a list, but i have no idea what you've read.

A list you say....
I seem to remember someone promising me a certain list quite a few years ago :lol:

candy
10-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Everythings Eventual - again.

Need more books

The ones I ordered off Amazon have not turned up :mad:
and the town i moved to does not have a book store (even WH Smith has bugger all in it)

Brice
10-05-2011, 09:36 AM

A list you say....
I seem to remember someone promising me a certain list quite a few years ago :lol:

In fairness to me I haven't had rreliable internet in a long time. Still you're right, it is WAY overdue. I'll see what I can manage. I doubt I have time to make it comprehensive though.

jhanic
10-05-2011, 10:09 AM
I finished my reread of Full Dark, No Stars this morning. I just received my copy of Stephen Jones' anthology A Book of Horrors and will be reading it, starting with King's The Little Green God of Agony.

John

biomieg
10-05-2011, 10:24 AM
I liked it, John. Looking forward to hearing your opinion!

I am reading Adam Nevill's THE RITUAL, which is supposed to be a nice and scary novel. I've only read around 20 pages yet but it looks promising!

Heather19
10-05-2011, 10:30 AM

A list you say....

In fairness to me I haven't had rreliable internet in a long time. Still you're right, it is WAY overdue. I'll see what I can manage. I doubt I have time to make it comprehensive though.

:couple:

OchrisO
10-05-2011, 06:45 PM
I am reading Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks, Books Three of The Night Angels Trilogy. I am very impressed with this series.

alkanto
10-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Re-Reading: A Feast for Crows - George R.R. Martin

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Rum Punch: Elmore Leonard

Brice
10-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Currently reading the polanski link in a bear's sig.

fernandito
10-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Currently reading Brice's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas quote in his sig.

Brice
10-06-2011, 10:04 AM

CRinVA
10-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Just finished Joe Hill's Horns and now listening to Stephen King read Bag of Bones.

John Blaze
10-06-2011, 11:14 AM
I started Scarlet, book 2 of the Kind Raven Trilogy by Stephen R. Lawhead again the other day. I really enjoy this book...it might be my favorite of the series!
It was my favorite of the series too. :D You're doing a reread tho, right?

John Blaze
10-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Currently reading The Book of Lost Things, by John Connolly. It comes highly recommended, and so far it's ok.

alkanto
10-06-2011, 12:38 PM
It was my favorite of the series too. :D You're doing a reread tho, right?

yeah, that was the 3rd time I'd read it.

Heather19
10-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Currently reading The Book of Lost Things, by John Connolly. It comes highly recommended, and so far it's ok.

I picked that up awhile ago, but haven't gotten to it yet. Let me know how it is.

frik
10-08-2011, 09:51 AM
http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/images/P/CREEPY%20ARCHIVES%20HC%20VOL%2010.jpg

As always with these editions, awesome!

sk

candy
10-09-2011, 09:00 AM

I enjoyed it and would love your thoughts on it once your done

I picked that up awhile ago, but haven't gotten to it yet. Let me know how it is.

Go read and it let me know what you think, I loved it

Heather19
10-09-2011, 09:18 AM
I just started rereading The Shining last night. I figured what better way to get me out of my reading slump than by picking up a great King story. And what better time to read a really good scary book.

I might read it when it when I finish this one Candy.

Merlin1958
10-09-2011, 06:34 PM
I just started rereading The Shining last night. I figured what better way to get me out of my reading slump than by picking up a great King story. And what better time to read a really good scary book.

I might read it when it when I finish this one Candy.

And you will need a case for it, afterwards...........................

http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=theshiningproject

candy
10-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Finally got a Storm of Swords (steel and snow)

After the Amazon seller telling me it was posted on the 23rd September and it must be Royal Mail with the delay, I get the package this morning, and look at that, there is an invoice dated the 4th October, that little fibbers

Ruthful
10-14-2011, 04:08 PM
http://media.oregonlive.com/runoregon/photo/the-long-run-bookpng-e113b19a1425bfb0.png

Empath of the White
10-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Servant of the Shard by R.A. Salvatore. Its like Goodfellas, but with dark elves, cthulhu-esque Mind Flayers, and underworld theif-guilds battling each other for supremacy in the mean desert streets of Calimport.

DoctorDodge
10-20-2011, 11:53 AM
You had me at "R.A. Salvatore." I really enjoyed the first book of his Dark Elf trilogy, although I still need to read the 2nd and 3rd volumes, despite getting the box set. Too many books, and not enough time. Well, not for someone as slow and easily distracted as i am, anyway.

John Blaze
10-20-2011, 05:23 PM
OK, so I just want to take a minute to say, once again, I guess there's a reason the classics are so classic. I read Les Miserables for the first time ever this week, and I freakin love it. It was such a touching book about the nature of love and how stupid humans can be in their prejudices. Anyways, read it.

Patrick
10-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Just finished:

http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2011/06/robopocalypse-us.jpg

Currently reading for the first time:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWtHB0XeEXfsTWddTiAq3e3vpxmunAT GkpbY1pVpuf8-TlSQneYDvkfDEd

John Blaze
10-20-2011, 09:13 PM
:O is that any good, Patrick? It looks kickass.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-20-2011, 10:47 PM
The Turn of the Screw

Jean
10-20-2011, 11:31 PM

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWtHB0XeEXfsTWddTiAq3e3vpxmunAT GkpbY1pVpuf8-TlSQneYDvkfDEdfirst time! please share your impressions, it's one of my Top Five

Patrick
10-21-2011, 10:03 AM
I really enjoyed ROBOPOCALYPSE. It was a fast, easy, engaging read. My only complaint was that it wasn't longer.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWtHB0XeEXfsTWddTiAq3e3vpxmunAT GkpbY1pVpuf8-TlSQneYDvkfDEdfirst time! please share your impressions, it's one of my Top Five
I am loving DESPERATION! To me, this is good ol' classic Stephen King. I will finish the book tonight and probably then start THE REGULATORS (also for the first time).

fernandito
10-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Aren't they making a Robopacalypse film ? If so, I definitely need to read the book asap. I could definitely use a quick read after the door stoppers that were A Dance with Dragons and Under the Dome.

Also - glad to see you're enjoying Desperation ! Not only is it my favorite King book, it's probably my favorite book of all time :)

Patrick
10-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Aren't they making a Robopacalypse film ? If so, I definitely need to read the book asap. I could definitely use a quick read after the door stoppers that were A Dance with Dragons and Under the Dome.

Also - glad to see you're enjoying Desperation ! Not only is it my favorite King book, it's probably my favorite book of all time :)

Yeah, it's much faster moving than those other two you mention. It will probably give you a nice breather before heading into War and Peace - or whatever is next on your list. :lol:

Thanks.

Erin
10-21-2011, 10:48 AM
:lol: It seems like lately I'm also incapable of reading a book unless it's at least over 700 pages.

Jean
10-21-2011, 10:52 AM
I am loving DESPERATION! To me, this is good ol' classic Stephen King. very happy to hear this...

Not only is it my favorite King book, it's probably my favorite book of all time :)... and this.

:lol: It seems like lately I'm also incapable of reading a book unless it's at least over 700 pages.Of course, what's the use of them anyway? You install yourself on the sofa with a cup of tea and a doughnut, and whoops - the book has finished, and you have to get up and find another. Total waste of energy.

Patrick
10-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Substitute the word, "tea," with the words, "coffee" or "beer," and you've got my full agreement.

John Blaze
10-22-2011, 01:47 PM
I really enjoyed ROBOPOCALYPSE. It was a fast, easy, engaging read. My only complaint was that it wasn't longer.
...That's what she said?

John Blaze
10-22-2011, 01:47 PM

If so, I'll move on it. I keep forgetting to pick up WWZ also, and that's supposed to hit theaters next year sometime too.

candy
10-23-2011, 02:03 AM
Finally got '''Storm of Steel' steel and snow''

Patrick
10-24-2011, 09:51 PM
...That's what she said?
Well played, Mr. Connery.

John Blaze
10-25-2011, 09:34 AM
only on account of villainy!

Ricky
10-25-2011, 04:20 PM
The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty. I've never seen the movie, so this is all new to me.

WeDealInLead
10-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Stalkers - an anthology. Some very unsettling stories in this book.

Merlin1958
10-25-2011, 06:25 PM
The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty. I've never seen the movie, so this is all new to me.

Seriously, you need to see this movie!!!!!

Jean
10-25-2011, 08:44 PM

Seriously, you need to see this movie!!!!!
Right, the movie is very good.

But the book is f***ing brilliant.

Brice
10-26-2011, 01:48 AM
Absolutely! Actually the movie is superb. The book is just way better

Wedealinlead: That one seems to be just my sort of book. I'll have to get a copy.

OchrisO
10-26-2011, 04:24 AM
I am reading The Night Eternal by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. I love this series, such an interesting take on vampires.

fernandito
10-26-2011, 07:40 AM
I am reading The Night Eternal by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. I love this series, such an interesting take on vampires.

I was at Target a few days ago and they had the second (?) and third (?) book in the series but not the first. I've heard good things about it so I'm definitely interested.

Heather19
10-26-2011, 11:18 AM

I just read this for the first time last year. And I also highly recommend checking out the film.

fernandito
10-26-2011, 11:28 AM
I first read that as 'have seen the movie, but not read the book'.

Rick, you've seriously have never seen The Exorcist before ?! ...

http://operatorchan.org/k/arch/src/k169668_Angry-Dad-SON-I-AM-DISAPPOINT.jpg

DoctorDodge
10-26-2011, 11:32 AM
I've not seen it yet, either.

OchrisO
10-26-2011, 11:49 AM

I was at Target a few days ago and they had the second (?) and third (?) book in the series but not the first. I've heard good things about it so I'm definitely interested.
Yeah, the third one is the one I am reading now. The first one is called The Strain and the second one The Fall. They are well worth picking up.

fernandito
10-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Excellent. Are they closing it off as a trilogy ? Or will there be more novels on the way ?

Ben Staad
10-26-2011, 02:34 PM
I just started reading The Enemy by Charlie Higson...pretty good so far

Ricky
10-26-2011, 03:30 PM
I first read that as 'have seen the movie, but not read the book'.

Rick, you've seriously have never seen The Exorcist before ?! ...

http://operatorchan.org/k/arch/src/k169668_Angry-Dad-SON-I-AM-DISAPPOINT.jpg

No, I haven't. I guess how I end up liking the book will determine if I watch the movie or not.

OchrisO
10-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Excellent. Are they closing it off as a trilogy ? Or will there be more novels on the way ?

Yeah, just a trilogy. The Night Eternal was the last. I just finished it a bit ago and really enjoyed the whole series.

DoctorDodge
10-26-2011, 04:42 PM

I really wanna read that. A zombie novel series for kids! :lol: Well, I've heard it's a new take on it at least, and I've heard that surprisingly it actually doesn't shy away from the violence and gore too much. Yeah, those are books I do want to get round to at some point.

Ben Staad
10-26-2011, 05:00 PM

I really wanna read that. A zombie novel series for kids! :lol: Well, I've heard it's a new take on it at least, and I've heard that surprisingly it actually doesn't shy away from the violence and gore too much. Yeah, those are books I do want to get round to at some point.

This is exactly why I bought the books. I wanted to share some zombie craziness with my kids and I was hoping this would fit the bill...so far so good.

Merlin1958
10-26-2011, 06:53 PM
I've got a bit of an embarrassment of riches. Brian Freeman bailed me out on a ltd of The Exorcist 40th Anniv. So I can go ahead and read my Amazon 1/1. On the recommendation of folks here, I also have "The Strain" and "The Fall" to read as well. I think I went and ordered the third installment of this book as well. Then, of course, we are VERY, VERY, VERY close to the release of "11/22/63"!!!!! All this should get me through Christmas!!!

:lol1:

alkanto
10-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Finally finished A Feast for Crows...I'm taking a very short break from ASOIAF to read the newest Heroes of Olympus/Percy Jackson and the Olympians book The Son of Neptune, by Rick Riordan. This will take me maybe 3 days...then on to A Dance with Dragons! :excited:

Erin
10-27-2011, 05:12 AM
Woo hoo! Then you'll be able to sit and wait 5 years with the rest of us for The Winds of Winter. :lol:

I finished reading Ghost Story, the most recent Dresden File book a few days ago and have no idea what to read next. I've been in such a slump since finishing A Dance With Dragons.

OchrisO
10-27-2011, 05:17 AM
Woo hoo! Then you'll be able to sit and wait 5 years with the rest of us for The Winds of Winter. :lol:

I finished reading Ghost Story, the most recent Dresden File book a few days ago and have no idea what to read next. I've been in such a slump since finishing A Dance With Dragons.

Wow, can't believe you just got to Ghost Story! How could you wait after the crazy end of the previous book? That book was sooooo good.

I'd recommend something for next, but you would just ignore it for years. :P

Erin
10-27-2011, 05:47 AM
:lol: True, true. But seriously, recommend something truely awesome because like I said, I'm in a super slump. I usually immediately start a book right after finishing one, but I've been without for 3 days now! Gah!

I waited so long on Ghost Story because I had let my dad borrow it and just got it back from him last week. But yea, Changes was SUCH a good book. I really liked Ghost Story, too. I really liked :

When he went into Bob's skull and I was totally surprised by the ending when we found out he arranged his own murder.

Bev Vincent
10-27-2011, 05:50 AM
I'm halfway through Raylan by Elmore Leonard, which focuses on the character from Justified played by Timothy Olyphant

mae
10-27-2011, 05:56 AM
I've got a bit of an embarrassment of riches. Brian Freeman bailed me out on a ltd of The Exorcist 40th Anniv. So I can go ahead and read my Amazon 1/1.

Dammit! I missed out on the limited 40th Exorcist, and for only a hundred bucks I wouldn't jumped on it without thinking, even having the trade (which is sweet in itself). Only found out about the limited after it's been sold out :cry:

fernandito
10-27-2011, 07:56 AM

All of a sudden, I'm depressed.

Erin
10-27-2011, 08:27 AM
:cry: I know!

It's going to be especially agonizing because I think Dragons was the build up book and some awesome shit is going to go down in Winter.

A Targaryen invasion underway...hello!

DoctorDodge
10-27-2011, 08:29 AM
And once again, I am so glad I'm such a slow reader! Have yet to finish A Game of Thrones yet (though that's only because of all the other comics and books i've gotta read, such as American Gods. Just 30 pages more and I am done)! Thankfully, I don't have to worry about agonizing waits just yet.

alkanto
10-27-2011, 09:01 AM
:lol: You guys are all so positive and upbeat, I can hardly stand it!

Well, I became a fan before A Feast for Crows was released, so I know all about waiting. I can do it....I think! :P

John Blaze
10-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I doubt it will be 5 years, the show is gonna push him as long as they continue shooting it.

OchrisO
10-27-2011, 03:15 PM
:lol: True, true. But seriously, recommend something truely awesome because like I said, I'm in a super slump. I usually immediately start a book right after finishing one, but I've been without for 3 days now! Gah!

I waited so long on Ghost Story because I had let my dad borrow it and just got it back from him last week. But yea, Changes was SUCH a good book. I really liked Ghost Story, too. I really liked :

When he went into Bob's skull and I was totally surprised by the ending when we found out he arranged his own murder.

Coming off of Dresden, you should read Hounded by Kevin Hearne. It has avery similar tone. It is the first of three books (with a fourth on the way) about a centuries old druid living in modern Arizona.

Atticus O’Sullivan has been running for two thousand years and he’s a bit tired of it. After he stole a magical sword from the Tuatha Dé Danann (those who became the Sidhe or the Fae) in a first century battle, some of them were furious and gave chase, and some were secretly amused that a Druid had the cheek to defy them. As the centuries passed and Atticus remained an annoyingly long-lived fugitive, those who were furious only grew more so, while others began to aid him in secret.

Now he’s living in Tempe, Arizona, the very last of the Druids, far from where the Fae can easily find him. It’s a place where many paranormals have decided to hide from the troubles of the Old World—from an Icelandic vampire holding a grudge against Thor to a coven of Polish witches who ran from the German Blitzkrieg.

Unfortunately, the very angry Celtic god who wants that sword has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power, plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good, old-fashioned luck of the Irish to kick some arse and deliver himself from evil.
http://www.kevinhearne.com/books

Now listen to me for a change and get it now. ;)
I'll make it easy. http://www.amazon.com/Hounded-Iron-Druid-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B004J4WN0I/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1319757268&sr=1-1

WeDealInLead
10-28-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm waiting for signed copies of The Night Eternal to show up on eBay. I LOVE the first two books. They're both signed by Del Toro and I'd like to get a matching set.

Brice, I'm sure you'll like Stalkers. The weakest story was IMO F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack 60 pager. The rest are all top notch.

I'm reading Wireless by Charles Stross. This is some serious hard sci-fi and I'm loving it. Some times I'll go back in the story thinking wtf did I just read. That's a good thing.

Ruthful
10-31-2011, 07:08 PM
http://i43.tower.com/images/mm100158951/blind-willow-sleeping-woman-haruki-murakami-paperback-cover-art.jpg

DoctorDodge
11-02-2011, 07:02 AM
Well, after my 2 week break from anything to do with the show:
http://cdn.comixology.com/2011/AUG11/midsize/AUG111351_m.jpg

Now back to maximum fanboy status with a vengeance! :D I was pretty dissapointed with the last book that was written by a popular British scifi/fantasy writer for the show, in that case Michael Moorcock's The Coming of the Terraphiles, as the 11th Doctor and Amy seemed to be extremely bland characters, if I'm honest. There were some fun ideas, but it was all a bit too strange and a bit too romp-ey for me. Bit of a chore to get through, really. Nearly 40 pages into this one, however, and I can tell I'm gonna enjoy it so much more. For a start, it actually feels like you're watching a Who story instead of just reading it at times, as the characterisation and the dialogue is spot on for the Doctor, Amy and Rory, and the plot moves pretty fast. There's also a few nice nods to continuity, not just with the old series but also the new, but it isn't written to feel unwelcome to newbies. I also like Dan Abnett's style of writing, especially in his 2000AD comics and what little I've read of his Warhammer 40k novels: not especially deep, but really great at the grim and grittiness of scifi. He's also good at the action, so I'm expecting some of that soon. Oh, one more thing: Ice Warriors! Why the hell these big green bastards haven't shown up in the new series yet I really don't know, they're some of my favourite looking monsters from the classic. My only real worry is that it might become a little too traditional Who, a book that gets the formula right but doesn't have anything really original or emotional to it, like one of those eps that are ok but not particularly memorable. I hope that's not the case, but for the moment, it suits my fanboy needs ok!

Bev Vincent
11-02-2011, 07:15 AM
http://www2.macleans.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Cats-table.jpg

DoctorDodge
11-02-2011, 07:21 AM

This is exactly why I bought the books. I wanted to share some zombie craziness with my kids and I was hoping this would fit the bill...so far so good.

Cool, well let us know if it keeps up that quality throughout. I really want to see if Higson's writing is as good as his comedy stuff, and how he writes something as tricky as young adult stuff, too. Because it's one thing to write a zombie novel for adults and give them bloody violence, scares, and the difficulties of dealing with life after the apocalypse. It's another thing entirely writing that for a much younger audience, though.

fernandito
11-02-2011, 07:27 AM
I'm only reading Under The Dome out of some misguided sense of obligation at this point. These are going to be the longest 175 pages of my life.

divemaster
11-02-2011, 08:35 AM
I'm only reading Under The Dome out of some misguided sense of obligation at this point. These are going to be the longest 175 pages of my life.

What, you reading the abridged version?

"There was a town, and then a dome, and an evil politician. Then there was a fire and the dome went away the end."

Jean
11-02-2011, 09:32 AM

: dies :

DoctorDodge
11-02-2011, 10:12 AM
I've got a confession to make, bears: I too thought UTD was boring, overlong and seriously dragged out.

Well that's what I've heard, anyway. I'm sure I'll have an opinion on it next year!

Brice
11-02-2011, 10:55 AM
I loved utd... And i feel no obligation to finish a book i'm not enjoying. If within 50 or so pages a book doesn't hold my attention i put it down and move on.

Erin
11-02-2011, 11:00 AM
I also feel like I'm one of the few people who loved Under The Dome.

Right now I'm reading "House Rules" by Jodi Picoult. My aunt insisted I read it and forced a copy upon me, so I started it and I'm actually really enjoying it so far. I was a nanny to a boy with Asperger's Syndrome for 6 years and my step-son has Asperger's, so the subject matter is really interesting to me.

Ricky
11-02-2011, 11:07 AM
I really liked Under the Dome, too. But I can understand why some people didn't.

fernandito
11-02-2011, 11:15 AM
I started out really liking it, but everything seemed to just drag on and on as the narrative went forward.

When you have your most interesting character sitting in a cell for 500 pages and make it so that the most noteworthy thing he does is drink out of a toilet bowl, you know you got a problem.

OchrisO
11-02-2011, 11:51 AM
I also feel like I'm one of the few people who loved Under The Dome.

Right now I'm reading "House Rules" by Jodi Picoult. My aunt insisted I read it and forced a copy upon me, so I started it and I'm actually really enjoying it so far. I was a nanny to a boy with Asperger's Syndrome for 6 years and my step-son has Asperger's, so the subject matter is really interesting to me.

Totally stopping recommending books when you ask :P

jhanic
11-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I liked Under the Dome also. Agreed, it did seem to drag a bit in the middle, but overall it was a good read.

John

Emily
11-02-2011, 03:12 PM
I realized recently that a problem I have with reading is that a lot of times I'll have something way too specific in mind when I'm looking for a new book. I do this when I go shopping too. Like I'll be looking for a skirt that has all these requirements, and then obviously I don't find it because I totally created exactly what I want in my mind.

For example, right now I really want to read a great love story that isn't corny or depressing and is realistic but maybe has like time travel or aliens or magic in it and also takes place in a place that isn't Earth. Am I going to find this book? Probz not.

In any case, I've been thinking of doing a full Harry Potter reread. I don't think I've read any of them since the 7th book came out.

Brice
11-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Maybe you should just write the books you want to read?

DoctorDodge
11-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Yeah! That's the only way I can find the story I'm looking for, after all.

It's just finishing the darn thing that's the trouble.