PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

LadyHitchhiker
06-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Well, if it's a particularly terrible book, you're forgiven, feev. If not, no excuses. :lol:

I'm reading World War Z. Content-wise, I love it. The author uses a hypothetical zombie apocalypse as a backdrop to tackle virtually every political and social issue you can imagine. What's giving me a hard time is the format in which it's written, it's told through the POV's of dozens of survivors. It's a bit jarring to keep switching locations and tone of narration every few pages. Still, I'm glad I've stuck with it because it really is a great novel, just a few more pages left to go.

I totally agree with your summation!

Ricky
06-07-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm reading World War Z. Content-wise, I love it. The author uses a hypothetical zombie apocalypse as a backdrop to tackle virtually every political and social issue you can imagine.

That was exactly my problem with Brave New World. I liked the idea of it, but the novel seemed more of a platform for Huxley to state his political and world views. That would be the thing to hang me up.

DoctorDodge
06-07-2011, 02:36 PM
I know exactly what you guys mean. I've been reading this novel in the Faction Paradox series called This Town Will Never Let Us Go. Now, it's got some brilliant and mind boggling ideas, but where's the fucking plot? I've been reading it on and off for about a year, now! It's only 280 pages, too!

fernandito
06-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Oh , well , now suddenly I don't feel so bad :lol: I've been inching my way through this book for a good while now. I'm near the finish line now though with a little under 20 pages to go so I'll be moving on to greener pastures momentarily.

I want to read The Girl that Kicked the Hornet's Nest next, but gah ... I have so .. many ... other books in my backlog.

Adumbros
06-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Believe it or not, Adumbros, there are in fact other writers in this country than J.K. Rowling! :P

I haven't read any of them...

:lol: you should check out Moody. Normally I'm not a big proponent of (post-1995) horror fiction but it was some good shit.

Ruthful
06-07-2011, 06:17 PM
This:

http://tlcbooktours.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/State-of-Wonder.jpg

Also, got to meet the author:

http://i.imgur.com/lF53T.jpg

fernandito
06-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Is there an author you haven't met yet ? :lol:

Brice
06-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin...fantastic story and great loveable characters. :thumbsup:

Ricky
06-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Brice! You haven't read it before?! :o

Brice
06-08-2011, 08:33 AM
No, I have delayed and delayed reading it. The other day I saw it at my work for 10 bucks and decided I had to get it though. Now I need the S/L.

Ricky
06-08-2011, 11:07 AM
I say this alot, but I'm still kicking myself for not ordering the S/L. Had it been published after I read it, I would have bought a copy. :(

The Road Virus
06-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Believe it or not, Adumbros, there are in fact other writers in this country than J.K. Rowling! :P

I haven't read any of them...

:lol: , I love it DD

Just finished Purple Place for Dying (my favorite of the three McGee novels I have read so far), now reading Salem's Lot :rock:

LadyHitchhiker
06-09-2011, 04:39 AM

ME!

Odetta
06-09-2011, 06:35 AM
Just finished The Passage last night... fabulous

Ruthful
06-09-2011, 06:49 AM

I'm still waiting for Chuck Palahniuk and Haruki Murakami sightings.

Ruthful
06-09-2011, 06:50 AM

ME!

True.
:huglove:

mystima
06-09-2011, 06:02 PM
I am about to start "The Hunger Games." A friend of mine suggested it at the beginning of the year and just got a copy from the library.

jhanic
06-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Finished my reread of Duma Key and have started to reread Black House. I'm going to interrupt this, though, to read "Under the Weather", the new story in the TPB of Full Dark, No Stars.

John

Merlin1958
06-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Just an observation, and I am probably considered an "Old Fart", but Adumbros, why do you always seem to feel the need to call women "bitches" and "cuss" profusely? Don't get me wrong I can cuss with the best amongst buddies, but it seems a bit "out of place" in a public forum. You seem like a fairly intelligent guy and that manner, IMHO, hardly furthers that impression.

Again, I'm probably "old school" with dated values, but at least with regard to the ladies some decorum would seem to serve you well. As I said, just an observation, use it or don't it's totally your choice.

Patrick
06-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Finished:
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO
and
THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE.

How was TGWTDT, Patrick? I've been on the fence about reading it ever since they were published. I can't decide if I like the plot or not. :orely:
To be honest, I knew nothing about the plot. I only knew they were well loved stories, so I decided to read the first one. I liked it enough to go straight to the second.

I want to read The Girl that Kicked the Hornet's Nest next, but gah ... I have so .. many ... other books in my backlog.
I plan to read this in the near future, but I decided to wait a while (after reading the first two back to back) since there won't be any more.

Currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin...fantastic story and great loveable characters. :thumbsup:

Just finished The Passage last night... fabulous
I agree with you both. Glad you're both getting around to reading the book!

G, love the photo with author!

Jean
06-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Just an observation, and I am probably considered an "Old Fart", but Adumbros, why do you always seem to feel the need to call women "bitches" and "cuss" profusely? Don't get me wrong I can cuss with the best amongst buddies, but it seems a bit "out of place" in a public forum. You seem like a fairly intelligent guy and that manner, IMHO, hardly furthers that impression.

Again, I'm probably "old school" with dated values, but at least with regard to the ladies some decorum would seem to serve you well. As I said, just an observation, use it or don't it's totally your choice.No, not exactly. It is rather the policy of the site.

ICry4Oy
06-10-2011, 04:45 AM
Based on Jean's recommendation I am finally, for the first time, reading IT. Only 300 pages into IT so far but am loving IT so far. I'm going to have to read for a day or two and put IT down for a day or two and read for a day or two.....etc...etc...etc...to make IT last. I bought the gift edition anniversary issue but went to Half-Price Books for a copy to read! Best $7 I've spent this year.

Fall of Gilead
06-10-2011, 06:52 AM
I've started IT twice and never finished it, not because it's bad or anything, but just drifted off to something else. And now that there's a ridiculous volume of books on the bookcases I have yet to read, will probably never get around to it.

Ben Staad
06-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Half way through "A Feast for Crows". This is actually the first book in the series that I'm having a little trouble getting through. For whatever reason I'm not feeling the same "vibe" as I did with the other ones.

LadyHitchhiker
06-10-2011, 07:20 AM
I am going to the bookstore today to pick up my copy of The Stranger's sequel. It's a series by Max Frei and I looooooooooooooooooooooooved that first book... been waiting 2 years for the translation and printing of the second book. Has Bears read any Max Frei, I wonder?

Bethany
06-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Half way through "A Feast for Crows". This is actually the first book in the series that I'm having a little trouble getting through. For whatever reason I'm not feeling the same "vibe" as I did with the other ones.

I was the same way. There was a whole bunch new people and the writing style did seem to be a little different. But still worth sticking it out.

pixiedark76
06-10-2011, 04:55 PM
I am reading "Needful Things" by Stephen King.

Ricky
06-11-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm going to interrupt this, though, to read "Under the Weather", the new story in the TPB of Full Dark, No Stars.

I want to read Under the Weather as well, but since I've read FDNS, I really don't want to have to buy the paperback to do so. Do you know how long the story is? I'm trying to see if it's short enough that I could read it while standing in Barnes and Noble. :lol:

To be honest, I knew nothing about the plot. I only knew they were well loved stories, so I decided to read the first one. I liked it enough to go straight to the second.

Good to hear. Did you find that the writing was a little difficult to get through? That's the main complaint I've seen in reviews.

Also, I heard that there are 1 or 2 more unpublished books in the series, but I think the author's family is fighting over whether to publish them or not. I can't remember for sure.

mae
06-11-2011, 08:58 AM
I want to read Under the Weather as well, but since I've read FDNS, I really don't want to have to buy the paperback to do so. Do you know how long the story is? I'm trying to see if it's short enough that I could read it while standing in Barnes and Noble. :lol:

That's actually exactly what I did. It's sixteen pages I believe. If you don't mind the noise and the music being piped in it's a good read. I took the book to a chair and was quickly done with it. A very good story. I'd hate for it to just be in this paperback, so I'm sure it'll be in King's next collection.

Ricky
06-11-2011, 10:06 AM
16 pages? Ah, that's not too, too, bad. My BN took out all the chairs (I believe to discourage people from reading/messing up books and not buying) so the only other ones are a couple by the magazine wall. I also want to read the excerpt from The Twelve in The Passage paperback.

Ruthful
06-11-2011, 08:13 PM
16 pages? Ah, that's not too, too, bad. My BN took out all the chairs (I believe to discourage people from reading/messing up books and not buying) so the only other ones are a couple by the magazine wall. I also want to read the excerpt from The Twelve in The Passage paperback.

The best part is walking into the Barnes & Noble cafe and looking at the sign that states: Tables for cafe customers only. Please use seating in the rest of the store.

Would that be their invisible seating?

Jean
06-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Based on Jean's recommendation I am finally, for the first time, reading IT. Only 300 pages into IT so far but am loving IT so far. I'm going to have to read for a day or two and put IT down for a day or two and read for a day or two.....etc...etc...etc...to make IT last. I bought the gift edition anniversary issue but went to Half-Price Books for a copy to read! Best $7 I've spent this year.http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

I've started IT twice and never finished it, not because it's bad or anything, but just drifted off to something else. And now that there's a ridiculous volume of books on the bookcases I have yet to read, will probably never get around to it.grrr..........

I am going to the bookstore today to pick up my copy of The Stranger's sequel. It's a series by Max Frei and I looooooooooooooooooooooooved that first book... been waiting 2 years for the translation and printing of the second book. Has Bears read any Max Frei, I wonder?No, although everyone reads her here. Do you know it's a woman, Светлана Мартынчик?

Ricky
06-12-2011, 09:09 AM
The best part is walking into the Barnes & Noble cafe and looking at the sign that states: Tables for cafe customers only. Please use seating in the rest of the store.

Would that be their invisible seating?

Exactly!

And God forbid you sit on the floor. :rolleyes:

LadyHitchhiker
06-14-2011, 07:37 AM
No, although everyone reads her here. Do you know it's a woman,
I did not! Wow! That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Okay, so I didn't start that book; instead I've been working on my homework. Homework on me. Hard stuff. So I read "The Nice Girl Syndrome" and I have to do all the exercises out of that; I read "The Narcissist Male", and I need to read "Forgiveness" and THEN I can move onto maybe some more fun stuff unless I get some more suggestions immediately about more self helpy stuff that will really help me.

fernandito
06-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Forgot that I hadn't finished The Hunger Games yet so I'm completing that before I read anything else.

beam*seeker
06-14-2011, 03:21 PM
I loved WWZ. I thought the format made it more believeable. I like his Zombie Survival Guide too.

The Road Virus
06-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Beam where/how have you been?

Currently reading: nothing. I just finished Salem's Lot a couple hours ago. I am starting The Quick Red Fox tomorrow. The rest of the day is for mentally preparing for (and playing) poker tonight.

(NEW) SK fav book list:
1. The Stand
2. WaG + DotT
3. 'Salem's Lot

OchrisO
06-15-2011, 05:16 PM
I just started Urban Shaman by C. E. Murphy. I'm not far enough into it to make a judgement, but I like it so far. I have been on a huge urban fantasy kick lately.

I finished the new Southern Vampires book last night, and a host of different Patricia Briggs books before that(all of the Mercy Thompson books, the Alpha and Omega spinoffs and some fantasy books she wrote called Dragon Bones and Dragon Blood). I had never heard of Patricia Briggs, but picked up the Mercy Thompson series when I was looking for some urban fantasy type stuff after having been fiending for some Dresden Files sort of stories lately. They aren't particularly like the Dresden Files, other than being books that have fantasy creatures in a modern setting. They mostly focus on werewolves, fae and vampires, in that order. They are really good, though.

It is nice to be out of college and have time for pleasure reading once again.

Garrell
06-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Starting Song of Susannah. I didn't want to ruin my 1st edition that I bought at the store on day of release, so I went to Half Price Books to get a cheap paperback copy to read. None to my luck, but found a hardback cheap and readable. the couple after me in line at the counter had the bigger softback version I wanted. So I waited 'til they were done and attacked... said I would trade my hardback version for their softback. Explained real quick that mine cost $2 more and reading and lugging around the smaller softback was easier:) Started SK with a 1st print Salem's Lot paperback in 76, so I always try to read them in paperback. Also got a mint 1st/1st Gerald's Game to replace my ebay miss last week. Good store, got a real nice Shining 1st pb for $2.50 2 weeks ago.

pathoftheturtle
06-16-2011, 03:58 AM
I'm reading World War Z. Content-wise, I love it. The author uses a hypothetical zombie apocalypse as a backdrop to tackle virtually every political and social issue you can imagine.

That was exactly my problem with Brave New World. I liked the idea of it, but the novel seemed more of a platform for Huxley to state his political and world views. That would be the thing to hang me up.But it's not just Huxley's views; some really valid political observations are in there. Like the way that the people are trained to throw out clothes rather than mend them because their society depends on consumption. Sick. But realistic. Or the idea that it has nothing to offer to mature individuals, they prefer to just turnover young people and keep everyone happy and dumb.

I'd like to hear more about the issues in that book; otherwise, I think I'd be pretty bored by hypothetical zombie apocalypse.

Ruthful
06-16-2011, 08:33 PM
http://i43.tower.com/images/mm107120346/paddy-whacked-untold-story-irish-american-gangster-t-j-english-paperback-cover-art.jpg

jhanic
06-17-2011, 11:44 AM
I plan on starting this tonight:

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/Other_Proofs/SimmonsFlashbackproof.jpg

John

Ruthful
06-17-2011, 07:15 PM
http://i43.tower.com/images/mm114121306/liberty-bell-gary-b-nash-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

Emily
06-19-2011, 05:44 PM
I just started reading Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. It's awesome.

Erin
06-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Emily, that's one of my all-time favorite books. It's wonderful.

Emily
06-19-2011, 08:05 PM
My brothers have been telling me to read it for years and I just never got around to it. I just read the part where Grant, Ellie, Malcolm, and Tim go to see the area where the raptors are fenced in. I literally am covered in goosebumps. :lol:

OchrisO
06-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Thunderbird Falls by C. E. Murphy

frik
06-19-2011, 09:54 PM
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/shadowheart-by-tad-williams.jpeg

Tito_Villa
06-20-2011, 12:59 AM
The Dark by James Herbert

The Road Virus
06-20-2011, 05:59 AM
Can someone explain how to insert photos to me (or point me in the direction of where to find this info. Sorry I know this is not the right place but seeing all the book pics makes me jealous)?

After finishing The Quick Red Fox two days ago, I began reading The Tommyknockers yesterday. After the next Mcgee novel I think I am going to break my MacDonald/King cycle (even though it is working and they are currently my two favorite authors) and perhaps read a Hawthorne book I purchased 4 or 5 years ago (and have had the confidence to read comprehensively for about a year or two haha)

F1racefan
06-20-2011, 06:01 AM
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest By Steig Larsson

jhanic
06-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Can someone explain how to insert photos to me (or point me in the direction of where to find this info. Sorry I know this is not the right place but seeing all the book pics makes me jealous)?

Check out:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?9233-Posting-pictures-links-etc.

John

Ben Staad
06-20-2011, 07:00 AM
I was finally able to get started on "The Five" by McCammon. I'm about three chapters into it so far and I'm really enjoying it.

The Road Virus
06-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Thanks John, I appreciate it

The Road Virus
06-20-2011, 08:48 AM
So once you have an image in your gallery, how do you put it into a post? :cry: I'm not very good at this.

Erin
06-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Road Virus....once the image is in your gallery (I always use photobucket.com), copy the IMG code. Then, come here and paste the link in your reply box. It will cause the picture to show up when you post. :)

The Road Virus
06-20-2011, 10:53 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9682&cat=500&title=tommyknockers

Now I am just seeing an X, is that normal (i.e can others see my image now?). Thank you for all the paitence and help John and Erin.

Bev Vincent
06-20-2011, 10:56 AM
http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/mccammon03_b.jpg

WeDealInLead
06-20-2011, 11:11 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9682&cat=500&title=tommyknockers

Now I am just seeing an X, is that normal (i.e can others see my image now?). Thank you for all the paitence and help John and Erin.

No image. You're reading Tommyknockers though.

Sign up for photobucket or imageshack. It's free and you can store the pictures there. Or you can find the picture in Google Images and copy/paste here.

pixiedark76
06-20-2011, 02:31 PM
I am reading "Geralds Game" by Stephen King.

divemaster
06-21-2011, 06:30 AM

Why would you want to do that?

The Road Virus
06-21-2011, 07:04 AM
:lol: yeah I heard that was the worst/ his most unpopular but since I plan on reading all of his books, that one is on my list as well. I will try posting a picture of the next book I read next week since I have whored this thread up with tommyknockers and tech questions. I'm out :ninja:

jhanic
06-21-2011, 07:06 AM
I liked Gerald's Game.

John

pixiedark76
06-21-2011, 02:53 PM

Why would you want to do that?

:lol: yeah I heard that was the worst/ his most unpopular but since I plan on reading all of his books, that one is on my list as well. I will try posting a picture of the next book I read next week since I have whored this thread up with tommyknockers and tech questions. I'm out :ninja:

I liked Gerald's Game.

John

I am reading it because I am reading all of Stephen Kings books in chronological order. Actually I think that Gerald's Game is quite good. It is very disturbing and suspenseful. I don't think that it is the worst novel by SK (I think The Tommyknockers was) In my opinion it is the most disturbing novel by SK.

There are so many spooky elements: [SPOILER]Jessie Burlingame being handcuffed to the bed after she killed her husband. Her repressed memories of being molested by her father. The crazy killer/grave robber Joubert. SPOILER]

This book is full of creepiness! I think the reason this book is so unpopular is that most people find it to disturbing. Perhaps this book scared them to much!

The Road Virus
06-21-2011, 03:04 PM
pixie, it's funny you say that because I am only about 150 pages into Tommyknockers but I find it to be a good piece of fiction and if anything underrated (I would say in most people's eyes it is Gerald's Game and then Tommyknockers for most unpopular). I feel like King's theme of addiction is very well portrayed and above all it is honest.

Again, I cannot comment on Gerald's Game (and probably won't be able to for quite sometime since I elected to not go in chronological order, though I had considered it) since I have not read the book but rest assured I will have an opinion once I finally do :D

Ruthful
06-22-2011, 11:15 AM
I liked Gerald's Game.

John

Me too. I know a lot of people here hate the trilogy of "women" novels he wrote from the perspective of a female protagonist, but I actually think they're pretty good psychological novels, especially Gerald's Game.

The Road Virus
06-22-2011, 11:22 AM
what are the other two novels? (I have a feeling one is Tommyknockers but no harm in asking)

Ricky
06-22-2011, 11:30 AM
I would guess Delores Claiborne and Lisey's Story.

Ben Staad
06-22-2011, 11:36 AM
I grabbed off my bookshelf and read "Amazonas" by Alan Peter Ryan today and loved it. I've never read anything by this author before and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of writing.

jhanic
06-22-2011, 11:53 AM
what are the other two novels? (I have a feeling one is Tommyknockers but no harm in asking)

Dolores Claiborne and Rose Madder. I think Dolores is one of his better works, while the other two are a bit flawed, but still enjoyable.

John

mae
06-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Just received my first ever Neil Gaiman book: American Gods, the 10th anniversary edition! Can't wait to start it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LUzDwk-uL.jpg

OchrisO
06-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Best book ever, pablo.

The Road Virus
06-22-2011, 08:31 PM
The Stand (or about 3 or 4 other SK novels I could rattle off as best ever)...?

Jean
06-22-2011, 10:50 PM
I am only about 150 pages into Tommyknockers but I find it to be a good piece of fiction and if anything underrated very true

mae
06-23-2011, 05:01 AM
I am only about 150 pages into Tommyknockers but I find it to be a good piece of fiction and if anything underrated very true

Agreed. I'm also reading The Stand for the first time (took me a long time, shameful, I know), and to be quite honest I'm not finding it as gripping as I'd hoped. I don't know why. I'm about a quarter of the way in, around Chapter 44 or something. Maybe it's because I usually don't have good long chunks of time to devote to it, so it's about a chapter at a time. Wish I could get sick with the flu and stay in bed for a few days and just read, but alas, one has to work...

The Road Virus
06-23-2011, 05:10 AM
As long as it's not the super flu aka Captain Trips :D

sgc1999
06-23-2011, 05:46 AM
Im reading nightmares and dreamscapes, always passed it over as its just short stories. Its not that great so far as i had already red Dolans Cadillac and thats probly the best short in the book. Gonna start Neil Gaimans graveyard book soon. I actually have a signed collectors of it but im not reading that one.

fernandito
06-23-2011, 08:08 AM
Just received my first ever Neil Gaiman book: American Gods, the 10th anniversary edition! Can't wait to start it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LUzDwk-uL.jpg

A contemporary masterpiece. It even says though on the back of the book :lol:

pixiedark76
06-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Im reading nightmares and dreamscapes, always passed it over as its just short stories. Its not that great so far as i had already red Dolans Cadillac and thats probly the best short in the book. Gonna start Neil Gaimans graveyard book soon. I actually have a signed collectors of it but im not reading that one.

I am also reading nightmares and dreamscapes. There are a couple of real good short stories in this collection.

Emily
06-23-2011, 05:48 PM
I just finished Jurassic Park. It really was fantastic. I'm going to have to look into more Michael Crichton books. Any suggestions, guys?

mae
06-23-2011, 07:10 PM
I just finished Jurassic Park. It really was fantastic. I'm going to have to look into more Michael Crichton books. Any suggestions, guys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Michael_Crichton

:)

OchrisO
06-23-2011, 07:35 PM

The Andromeda Strain is one of my favorites and I really enjoyed Prey.

I am now reading Coyote Dreams by C. E. Murphy

Tito_Villa
06-24-2011, 12:24 AM
'The Survivor' by James Herbert

what
06-24-2011, 03:54 AM

I really loved Five Patients and Pirate Latitudes

Erin
06-24-2011, 05:34 AM
Timeline was my second favorite of his! A company develops a way to travel back in time and a group of archaeology students get trapped in the Middle Ages. It's a great book.

biomieg
06-24-2011, 05:51 AM
Michael Crichton fans take note: you will probably enjoy SPIRAL (Paul McEuen). I finished it yesterday and I really, really liked it!

mae
06-24-2011, 06:17 AM
Don't forget Michael Crichton has a new book coming out in November called Micro.

biomieg
06-24-2011, 06:23 AM
I also recently read Simon Beckett's THE CHEMISTRY OF DEATH. I liked that one quite a bit, too. Anyone else here read it?

Jean
06-24-2011, 08:28 AM
currently reading Full Dark, No Stars and loving it

fernandito
06-24-2011, 09:25 AM

No residual left from that abysmal Just After Sunset ?

Jean
06-24-2011, 10:57 AM
: shudders :

don't remind me...

No, no, it's perfectly sound this time, whatever I've had the time to read anyway

Ricky
06-24-2011, 11:11 AM
20th Century Ghosts. Really enjoying it so far and finding that the stories are continuously improving.

pixiedark76
06-24-2011, 01:49 PM
I liked Gerald's Game.

John

Me too. I know a lot of people here hate the trilogy of "women" novels he wrote from the perspective of a female protagonist, but I actually think they're pretty good psychological novels, especially Gerald's Game.

The trilogy of "women" novels are some of my very favorite novels by Stephen King. In these novels the women were intelligent and able to take care of themselves. You don't see that very often in horror novels. Usually women are victims who need to be rescued by men.

biomieg
06-24-2011, 01:52 PM
I like them as well. ROSE MADDER is actually one of my all-time favorite King books.

pixiedark76
06-24-2011, 01:54 PM

No residual left from that abysmal Just After Sunset ?

I actually love Just After Sunset! "A very tight place" "The Gingerbread Girl" "N", "Stationary bike" and "Graduation Afternoon" these stories are awesome! I think it is one of his best short story collections.

Ricky
06-24-2011, 01:56 PM
I really enjoyed Just After Sunset. Much more so than Full Dark, No Stars, which felt a bit long-winded to me at times.

Ruthful
06-24-2011, 08:46 PM
In spite of its horrible title, and the diminishing returns of reading his new work, I took this out from the NYPL yesterday:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/news/jun10/fulldarkuk.jpg

jhanic
06-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Ruthful, is that a picture of the actual book you're reading or did you borrow it from elsewhere? The reason I'm asking is that the actual picture on the cover is upside-down--the one Hodder actually published has the corn growing properly, from the bottom up. The one you have pictured was erroneously published.

John

Ruthful
06-25-2011, 06:25 PM
I know. The one I was reading has the real cover, although I actually think that one is better.

LadyHitchhiker
06-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Still reading Heartless
Also reading:

the Post Traumatic Stress Disorder source book
God's Love Letters to You
Anxiety and Depression workbook for dummies
Boundaries

Yes... I like to read multiple books for multiple moods and multiple outlets of my personality and what I'm trying to build up and what I can focus on.

fernandito
06-27-2011, 07:44 AM
I'm 20 pages in, and I have no idea what the hell is going on. I love it.

http://thelesseroftwoequals.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/naked-lunch-book-cover.jpg?w=199&h=300

Garrell
06-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Just started The Dark Tower VII, looks like years later I will finally finish the series, til part 8/4.5 hits the stores.

The Road Virus
06-27-2011, 10:03 AM
http://byblios.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/best-of-hp-lovecraft.png?w=151&h=238

Jean
06-27-2011, 10:06 AM
http://byblios.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/best-of-hp-lovecraft.png?w=151&h=238http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

The Road Virus
06-27-2011, 10:20 AM
My first exposure to the author. His prose is more dressy and elegant then I am use to but I really think he uses suspense supremely. I have only read the first three stories but I enjoyed them all (rats in the walls is my favorite one so far).

fernandito
06-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Just wait until you get to the Cthulhu story. You're in for a treat.

The Road Virus
06-27-2011, 03:02 PM
I bought the book for just that story, after the suggestion of it by beam_seeker. Should have it done within the next couple days :cool:

fernandito
06-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Excellent. Be sure to post your impressions !

The Road Virus
06-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Will do. I am also currently crawling through;

http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n0/n1776.jpg

OchrisO
06-27-2011, 07:02 PM
I am now reading Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi: Conviction

Ka-mai
07-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Just finished The Help by Kathryn Sockett. I was so into it last night I read until 1am and didn't realize it. :P

fernandito
07-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Orson Scott Card ♥

http://media.us.macmillan.com/jackets/500H/9780765340054.jpg

jhanic
07-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Finished my reread of Black House. I'm reading one that I'm not allowed to mention and also Chricton's Prey.

John

Merlin1958
07-06-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm in the process of re-reading "The Shining". Damn scary book!!!!

What's with those damn Topiary animals?????? LOL

deadohsky
07-06-2011, 06:44 PM

http://thelesseroftwoequals.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/naked-lunch-book-cover.jpg?w=199&h=300

I have that book but have yet to read it, the movie is crazy if you haven't seen it. Have you read anything else by Burroughs? Junky is great, i couldn't put it down.

I'm currently working on:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gCayFzinbX8/R6VPk8TzmPI/AAAAAAAAAvw/a-ZTVgHwivY/s400/Comrade+J.jpg

Garrell
07-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Still in DT 7 but read the first couple pages of Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box, wow. Gotta finish DT 7 faster now. I see the clearing in the path...

Oy!Oy!
07-06-2011, 08:59 PM
I just finished N. earlier tonight & I have DK's Frankenstein sitting by my armchair....

Garrell
07-06-2011, 09:20 PM
2 very good choices:)

The Road Virus
07-07-2011, 05:51 AM
Read Call of Cthulhu a couple days ago and I got to say, I was not super impressed. Don't get me wrong, it was a good story and I enjoyed reading it but I think my expectations may have been too high because I had heard nothing but sterling reviews for the story. Rats in the Walls or Picture in the House are still my two favorite of the book thus far.

My summer reading has skidded to a halt. To remedy this - along with trying to see if it helps me write in a more child-like manner - I am going to try to read The Silver Chair today. Basically just so I can feel smart for reading a book in one day :wtf:

Tito_Villa
07-07-2011, 06:13 AM
Just finished Fluke ny James Herbert & i am now torn between reading The Bachman Books or Lair by James Herbert hmmmmmmmmm

fernandito
07-07-2011, 08:25 AM

I have that book but have yet to read it, the movie is crazy if you haven't seen it. Have you read anything else by Burroughs? Junky is great, i couldn't put it down.

I've seen the film, I love it. It's actually what prompted me to pick up the novel. It's my only experience with Burrough's work so far.

pixiedark76
07-07-2011, 01:58 PM
I am reading Insomnia by Stephen King. I never realized how many references to "The Crimson King" there were. This book has a lot of Dark Tower references also.

The Road Virus
07-07-2011, 03:43 PM
I am reading Insomnia by Stephen King. I never realized how many references to "The Crimson King" there were. This book has a lot of Dark Tower references also.

That's actually why I read the novel as early on as I did. However, it is still my least favorite SK novel that I have read :pirate:

Ben Staad
07-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Finished the Five a few days ago and have moved onto:

Dweller by Jeff Strand & '48 by James Herbert

Both of these books are really good so far.

OchrisO
07-07-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm reading Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. I had read up to The Voyage of Jerle Shannara many years ago and am now rereading them all and finishing out all of the books. It will be a long journey, with breaks for the new A Song of Ice and Fire book and the new Dresden Files.

Jean
07-07-2011, 11:30 PM

That's actually why I read the novel as early on as I did. However, it is still my least favorite SK novel that I have read :pirate:
grrr...

Tito_Villa
07-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Finished the Five a few days ago and have moved onto:

Dweller by Jeff Strand & '48 by James Herbert

Both of these books are really good so far.

I really enjoyed '48'

pixiedark76
07-08-2011, 01:35 PM

grrr...

Insomnia is one of my favorite SK books. Ralph, Lois, and who could forget Dorrance Martseller (Old Dor) are some of my most favorite characters in SK novels.

Garrell
07-08-2011, 02:41 PM

grrr...

Insomnia is one of my favorite SK books. Ralph, Lois, and who could forget Dorrance Martseller (Old Dor) are some of my most favorite characters in SK novels.
That's what she said...and she's right.

The Road Virus
07-08-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm sorry bears, I know some of our choices clash and I also am aware of the fact that Insomnia is a pretty popular SK novel. However, I found it a slow read and quite boring/ lacking action.

Jean
07-08-2011, 09:42 PM
lacking action, yes, that's exactly why bears like it...

DoctorDodge
07-12-2011, 05:22 AM
I've taken a break from American Gods and, despite being unable to watch the last 4 eps of the first series, have started to read A Game of Thrones. I'll let you know what I think of it when I'm a bit more further in.

pixiedark76
07-12-2011, 01:15 PM
I finished Insomnia and now I am reading "The Green Mile."

jhanic
07-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Finished Chricton's Prey (:yawn:) and am starting The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I'm also rereading King's Full Dark, No Stars. I've heard so much (mostly good) about Girl that I want to try it.

John

Ricky
07-12-2011, 07:10 PM
John, I've been thinking about reading GWTDT, too, but keep wondering if it's one I'd be interested in. Let me know how you like it!

Currently reading The Cypress House by Michael Koryta.

Erin
07-13-2011, 10:06 AM
I've taken a break from American Gods and, despite being unable to watch the last 4 eps of the first series, have started to read A Game of Thrones. I'll let you know what I think of it when I'm a bit more further in.

The last 4 episodes are the best! Especially episode 8, that was by far my favorite. And yay for starting A Game of Thrones!

On a similar note, what am I currently reading? A Dance with motherf-ing Dragons, that's what. FINALLY.

Ruthful
07-16-2011, 06:17 PM
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/12830000/12835320.jpg

mystima
07-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Finished The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. The books are The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay. The first two have lots of stuff in them that keeps the story going but by the end of the third book I was kinda disappointed. I wanted more action like the first two books. It felt like she put the action in the first two and that was all she had. But the overall story is good.

Bethany
07-16-2011, 07:22 PM

The last 4 episodes are the best! Especially episode 8, that was by far my favorite. And yay for starting A Game of Thrones!

On a similar note, what am I currently reading? A Dance with motherf-ing Dragons, that's what. FINALLY.

Mother effing dragons, just so!

alkanto
07-16-2011, 07:30 PM
I've been re-reading The Dark Tower series for about 8 weeks now...and I am finally on to Song of Susannah. Admittedly, this isn't my favorite book of the series (far from it...) but it's nice to get back to this part of the story. One thing this book is good at is setting the stage for the epic finale (which is tied to be my favorite book of the series with The Drawing of the Three), and I appreciate it for that.

John Blaze
07-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Well I didn't have much time to read, but I got my copy of ADWD at the midnight release and I finished it about 2 hours ago. I want to murder someone now. Anyone else reading it hit me up when done.

Jethro
07-17-2011, 05:28 AM
I'm a few pages away from finishing DT-7...I could have finished it a week ago, but have been dragging it out, not wanting it to end. The only thing left is The Coda...which SK says we shouldn't read?!?! WTF?! Of course I'm going to read it!

John Blaze
07-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Of course!

Reading book 2 of the Dresden Files now. So far, so ok. Maybe I shouldn't have followed Dance with Dresden.

Erin
07-19-2011, 05:47 AM
:lol: I'm always disappointed in anything I read after A Song of Ice and Fire book.

But seriously, the Dresden Files is one of those series where as it goes along, it gets better and better.

John Blaze
07-19-2011, 07:58 AM
it's entertaining, anyway.

fernandito
07-19-2011, 08:22 AM
I was /this/ close to picking up the first Dresden book, but I ended up going with Shadow Puppets. I do plan on reading the series sometime soon though.

pixiedark76
07-19-2011, 09:47 AM
I am reading Wizard And Glass. I am debating about whether to read the entire book or to just read the beginning when they are still on Blaine the Mono. The part with Susan in I already read in The Gunslinger Born comics.

WeDealInLead
07-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Read everything. Robyn Furth vs. Stephen King. One is a true wordslinger, one's a hack.

WeDealInLead
07-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Also, not everything is in the comics.

jhanic
07-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Read the whole thing. You won't regret reading it (although you may regret reading the comic first!)

John

Yaksha
07-19-2011, 01:47 PM
a Feast For Crows. then going to pick up ADWD

Ruthful
07-19-2011, 03:58 PM
http://allwomenstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/7-great-books-for-writers/the-elements-of-style-by-william-strunk-and-e-b-white_7-great-books-for-writers.jpg

Garrell
07-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Half way through DTVII

klio
07-20-2011, 02:51 AM
Right now I'm reading The Wheel of Time: The Great Hunt (book 2) from Robert Jordan. Amazing books, I'm in love :wub:

OchrisO
07-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Right now I'm reading The Wheel of Time: The Great Hunt (book 2) from Robert Jordan. Amazing books, I'm in love :wub:

It will be interesting to see if you make it over the hump at book 7. I have known a lot of people who have read it and some do, some don't. It is a great series, though.

I am currently reading A Dance With Dragons, of course. No other book exists until I finish it.

John Blaze
07-20-2011, 10:23 PM
a Feast For Crows. then going to pick up ADWD

:high 5:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Beloved: Toni Morrison

John Blaze
07-20-2011, 10:36 PM
finished dresden's book 2 today, it was ok. I was still in a funk though so I went to the used bookstore and picked up a ton of classics I've never got around to reading.

A Wrinkle in Time is fantastic, btw.

jhanic
07-21-2011, 06:04 AM
Finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. It was okay, but, not being Swedish, I found parts of it hard going. Good story, though.

John

alkanto
07-21-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm about 1/3 of the way through the final volume of The Dark Tower. I forgot how much I liked this book (well, with the exception of the whole Mordred baby spider thing and the crappy death of Flagg....)

Ricky
07-21-2011, 07:49 AM
About halfway through The Painted Darkness by Brian James Freeman.

Emily
07-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Ricky, I just saw someone reading that the other day at the bookstore. How is it?

Bethany
07-21-2011, 08:53 AM
finished dresden's book 2 today, it was ok. I was still in a funk though so I went to the used bookstore and picked up a ton of classics I've never got around to reading.

I love L'Engle.

Ricky
07-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Ricky, I just saw someone reading that the other day at the bookstore. How is it?

It's a pretty good story so far. It's been a lot of set-up, but the writing's been good. I'll probably finish it today and I'll let you know what I thought after.

Patrick
07-21-2011, 01:30 PM
grrr...
That's what she said...and she's right.
INSOMNIA is not one of my "favorites" but I enjoyed it very much. More than I expected, actually, and I read it long after finishing the DT series.

I'm a few pages away from finishing DT-7...I could have finished it a week ago, but have been dragging it out, not wanting it to end. The only thing left is The Coda...which SK says we shouldn't read?!?! WTF?! Of course I'm going to read it!Personally I wish he had ended the book when he says he wanted to, and skipped those extra bits altogether.

I am reading Wizard And Glass. I am debating about whether to read the entire book or to just read the beginning when they are still on Blaine the Mono. The part with Susan in I already read in The Gunslinger Born comics.As the others said, you should read the whole book. Far superior than the derivative comic series based on it.

I love L'Engle.
:thumbsup:

Recently finished SK's FULL DARK, NO STARS.

Currently re-reading Kurt Vonnegut's CAT'S CRADLE.

fernandito
07-21-2011, 01:31 PM

First time reading it ? I just finished that a few months ago. A solid Vonnegut offering.

Patrick
07-21-2011, 01:42 PM

First time reading it ? I just finished that a few months ago. A solid Vonnegut offering.
Nope, I've read this book at least twice before. I love Vonnegut.

Since you read CAT'S CRADLE after finishing the DT series:

Did you notice how King used a lot of the same concepts in the DT series as Vonnegut had, just gave them different names? The similiarities are killing me (in a good way).

Karass = ka-tet

zah-mah-ki-bo = Ka

etc.

Ruthful
07-22-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm about 1/3 of the way through the final volume of The Dark Tower. I forgot how much I liked this book (well, with the exception of the whole Mordred baby spider thing and the crappy death of Flagg....)

:rolleyes:

mystima
07-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Am about to start The Exorcist. Hope it doesn't do what the movie did to me....lol...Thanks Jean for the recommendation in the horror movie thread.

Jean
07-22-2011, 11:30 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

Garrell
07-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Down to 80 pages of DTVII:cry:

Jethro
07-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Down to 80 pages of DTVII:cry:

Those were the toughest 80 (or 100) pages for me. Rather than plow through them, I took my time.

Garrell
07-23-2011, 05:28 PM
It is done, I thankya sai King. Wow.:rose:

Ruthful
07-24-2011, 06:47 AM
http://simania.co.il/bookimages/covers19/194850.jpg

Jethro
07-24-2011, 06:51 AM
http://simania.co.il/bookimages/covers19/194850.jpg

One of my favorite books growing up.

Ruthful
07-24-2011, 08:30 PM
I was at an Ancap gathering this weekend and someone insisted I take a book as I was leaving the apartment, so I chose that one. Probably the first science-fiction novel I've read since Night Watch.

Erin
07-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Yep, Lucifer's Hammer is awesome.

Ruthful
07-25-2011, 10:22 PM
I've only read a chapter so far, but I'm enjoying it.

fernandito
07-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Lucifer's Hammer eh ... sounds interesting ...

fernandito
07-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Also, has anyone read Neuromancer by William Gibson ?

Garrell
07-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Reading Hearted-Shaped Box - Joe Hill

Ricky
07-30-2011, 07:33 AM
So Cold the River - Michael Koryta

Ben Staad
07-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Dan Simmons/Summer of Night

Yaksha
07-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Also, has anyone read Neuromancer by William Gibson ?

Dude I have, it is pretty good. Especially if you like cyberpunk

Reading On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers

jhanic
07-30-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm currently rereading the Harry Potter series (1. I just saw the movie Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 and loved it, and 2) I'm waiting for 11/22/63.)

John

Empath of the White
07-30-2011, 01:13 PM
The Death Gate Cycle, Volume 6: Into the Labyrinth by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. This series is an amazing improvement on their earlier writings seen in their Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends series.

alkanto
07-30-2011, 01:54 PM
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv139/declarationDRC/cover.jpg

Darkthoughts
07-30-2011, 02:43 PM
That is a cracking book alkanto! :thumbsup:

I just finished Dexter Is Delicious which was brilliant!! I know there was a bit of griping about Lindsay having jumped the shark with the last book, but I thought it was a good move to give the Dark Passenger it's own separate identity, and it came in to play perfectly in this story.

candy
07-31-2011, 05:55 AM

Now that looks interesting, will have to hunt that down

Currently reading

Rosemary's Baby (finally)

and Game Of thrones

Ricky
07-31-2011, 06:59 AM
Lisa, do you watch Dexter? I was wondering how different or similar the books are to the storylines in the show. I've never read any of them.

Seymour_Glass
07-31-2011, 07:04 AM
The Dexter books are way different than the show, and imho, the show is the better for it. Dexter never really develops emotionally in the novels, which I think is ironic.

Ruthful
07-31-2011, 07:14 AM
http://cd.pbsstatic.com/l/27/1027/9780060911027.jpg

Darkthoughts
07-31-2011, 11:34 AM
Lisa, do you watch Dexter? I was wondering how different or similar the books are to the storylines in the show. I've never read any of them.
Yes and I vastly prefer the books. The guy who plays Dexter is fantastic, likewise with the actress that plays Deb, but the storylines of the books are far darker (especially with regards to the kids).

Now that looks interesting, will have to hunt that down
Cand, I can't believe you haven't read Good Omens, it's right up your street, you would LOVE it!

The Dexter books are way different than the show, and imho, the show is the better for it. Dexter never really develops emotionally in the novels, which I think is ironic.
I'm not really sure what's ironic about a psychopath, who is devoid of emotion by his very nature, not developing emotionally? :lol:
Conversely that's what I think is better, or at least more realistic, about the books. They don't try to overly humanise Dex as the show does. I think the show cops out of being as dark as the books on a lot of levels really. It's fine if you don't read the books because it's still a well acted and well scripted show, but if you love the books it disapppoints you that they won't take that step further.

You'd probably like the latest book, Dexter Is Delicious though. Dexter struggles with the concept of having emotions as his daughter is born - it's very well done.

John Blaze
07-31-2011, 12:48 PM
http://cd.pbsstatic.com/l/27/1027/9780060911027.jpg
Curious. What's it about Ruthful? Hormones?

fernandito
08-01-2011, 08:09 AM

Great book. It fumbles a bit in the third act, but it's still a decent Gaiman/Pratchett offering.

Darkthoughts
08-01-2011, 08:30 AM
I can't fault it personally, but I must admit - because of the awesome memories of the time when I originally read it, it's got sentimental value aswell as being a good read :)

pixiedark76
08-01-2011, 12:37 PM
I am reading "On Writing" by Stephen King.

Empath of the White
08-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I've just started The Seventh Gate, volume 7 of the Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

Dragonlance fans, I'd recommend you look into the Death Gate Cycle if you haven't already.:rose:

The Road Virus
08-02-2011, 07:22 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413SnoVxOxL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Ruthful
08-06-2011, 11:18 PM
It's a satirical look at romance/sexual relations during the heyday of the Roaring Twenties. The edition I'm reading is from the 30th anniversary of the books original publication. I always like reading Thurber and White, even though I can't remember the last time I actually picked up a copy of The New Yorker.

Garrell
08-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Finished Heart-Shaped Box, kudos to Steve's son:0 Gonna give it 3 1/2 stars, fun read without the Sk bad/crazy ending. Seems Joe Hill likes the happy thing and no loose ends, ok with that. Never know who dies in a SK story(part of why I love SK). Only read 1 JH novel so far, so not sure if he has his dad's attitude towards the main peeps in a story.
Now on "Full Dark, No Stars" and "The Collector" - John Folwes

John Blaze
08-07-2011, 04:01 AM
It's a satirical look at romance/sexual relations during the heyday of the Roaring Twenties. The edition I'm reading is from the 30th anniversary of the books original publication. I always like reading Thurber and White, even though I can't remember the last time I actually picked up a copy of The New Yorker. Interesting. :)

Finished Heart-Shaped Box, kudos to Steve's son:0 Gonna give it 3 1/2 stars, fun read without the Sk bad/crazy ending. Seems Joe Hill likes the happy thing and no loose ends, ok with that. Never know who dies in a SK story(part of why I love SK). Only read 1 JH novel so far, so not sure if he has his dad's attitude towards the main peeps in a story.
Now on "Full Dark, No Stars" and "The Collector" - John Folwes
I have yet to read JH, IDK why I'm holding back.

Darkthoughts
08-07-2011, 06:17 AM
Get on the case JB, I think he's awesome. Heart Shaped Box is an amazing ghost story, and there's always the Locke And Key graphic novels which kick ass :thumbsup:

"The Collector" - John Folwes
Tell me what you think of that when you've finished, I was recommended it by someone a few months ago, but we were in the pub at the time and it slipped my mind to check it out :D

The Road Virus
08-07-2011, 06:31 AM
http://www.e-reading.org.ua/illustrations/129/129496-pic_1.jpg

John Blaze
08-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Get on the case JB, I think he's awesome. Heart Shaped Box is an amazing ghost story, and there's always the Locke And Key graphic novels which kick ass :thumbsup:

I just have way too much shit to read already. I'm starting The Sparrow today, which comes highly recommended by a friend. After that I'm reading World War Z and I'm currently rereading ASOIAF again, so it's a lot on my plate right now.

jhanic
08-07-2011, 08:37 AM

I love all those Travis McGee books. At one time, I owned then entire run.

John

Bethany
08-07-2011, 09:03 AM
I'm reading 20th Century Ghosts by JH. Picked it up at Hastings for 3 bucks. I'm really enjoying it so far.

ELazansky
08-07-2011, 09:04 AM
I just started reading A Clash of Kings...if it as good as A Game of Thrones, I will be happy.

Darkthoughts
08-07-2011, 09:06 AM
I have that (20th Century Ghosts), but haven't read it yet! I took a leaf out of your book though Bethany, and introduced my family to ASOIAF - my mum text me from her vacation to say she'd finished A Game Of Thrones in a day! (i thought I was fast...) and added "Thank goodness you gave me the rest of them too!" :D

pixiedark76
08-07-2011, 01:39 PM
I am reading "Secret Window" by Stephen King.

sgc1999
08-07-2011, 02:26 PM
joe hills "gunpowder" is a sweet novella! gonna be a series i think.
Just finished "the five", it was pretty good, even better if you have ever been in a band.
Now im in the middle of cronin's "the passage" very much up my alley, im diggin it!

The Road Virus
08-07-2011, 04:34 PM

I love all those Travis McGee books. At one time, I owned then entire run.

John

I discovered the series this summer, thanks to King's On Writing, and have been hooked ever since the Deep Blue Good-by. I thought Nightmare in Pink was a little weaker than the rest but I really enjoy MacDonald's prose.

Also, Pixie is this your first time reading it? I just read that for the first time before I read my last novel and was very surprised at some parts

Empath of the White
08-08-2011, 09:41 PM
The Sellswords, Book II: Promise of the Witch-King by R.A. Salvatore. I've decided to do a reread of all his novels leading up to the October release of Neverwinter.

The Road Virus
08-09-2011, 07:55 AM
http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166512864l/12995.jpg

pixiedark76
08-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I am now reading "Dream Catcher" by Stephen King.

John Blaze
08-10-2011, 08:53 AM
I DUDDITS!

pixiedark76
08-10-2011, 10:45 AM
I DUDDITS!

SSDD

fernandito
08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I DUDDITS!

SSDD

THOMAS JANE AND JASON LEE

candy
08-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Finished rosemary Baby, and now started Let the right one in (in between Game of thrones)

Ricky
08-11-2011, 11:02 AM
It's much better than the film, Candy. I think you'll enjoy it. :thumbsup:

John Blaze
08-11-2011, 01:57 PM
I DUDDITS!

SSDD

THOMAS JANE AND JASON LEE
Are you stating this is a negative or a positive? I for one liked the movie except for the ending. I was like, WTF? But the book rocks, and Jason Lee was actually a pretty good Beav.

rosered
08-12-2011, 08:44 PM
1984, George Orwell.

Empath of the White
08-12-2011, 09:02 PM
The Sellswords, Book III: Road of the Patriarch by R.A. Salvatore.

Jean
08-13-2011, 04:22 AM
1984, George Orwell.
Mokona, here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?9098-1984)is the 1984 thread, in the Book Club - have a look when you've finished reading

John Blaze
08-13-2011, 09:41 AM
1984, George Orwell.
One of my favorites.

Here's an interesting infographic about Huxley and Orwell, and I think Huxley was right.
http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/michael/blog/images/Amusing-Ourselves-To-Death.jpg

rosered
08-13-2011, 11:34 AM
1984, George Orwell.
Mokona, here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?9098-1984)is the 1984 thread, in the Book Club - have a look when you've finished reading

I've already seen the 1984 movie (I mean the film made in 1984, irony?), so I already knows how it ends. At the same time that doesn't ruin my reading, because I had the feeling that the story is much more...And I have not dissapointed yet. It's fantastic.

JOHN: I think that maybe both are right, in some way, because they see the problem from differents points of view. I think Huxley, somehow is more close to the present day than Orwell, but I don't believe Orwell is totally wrong either. By the way, I have not read A brave new world. It's on my list. The spanish title, by the way is crap (Un mundo feliz, that could be traslated into: A happy world).

Yaksha
08-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Star Wars Fate of the Jedi: Omen

John Blaze
08-14-2011, 05:57 AM
1984, George Orwell.

I've already seen the 1984 movie (I mean the film made in 1984, irony?), so I already knows how it ends. At the same time that doesn't ruin my reading, because I had the feeling that the story is much more...And I have not dissapointed yet. It's fantastic.

JOHN: I think that maybe both are right, in some way, because they see the problem from differents points of view. I think Huxley, somehow is more close to the present day than Orwell, but I don't believe Orwell is totally wrong either. By the way, I have not read A brave new world. It's on my list. The spanish title, by the way is crap (Un mundo feliz, that could be traslated into: A happy world).
That's stupid. I sometimes wonder who does these translations. I could do a better job than all of the translators I've seen so far. It's like the boxing translator on HBO, si no saben so le inventan. Hay veces que dicen algo que tiene NADA que ver con lo que dijo el boxeador. Pinches ineptos.

Jean
08-14-2011, 06:17 AM
it depends on how the Shakespear line is traditionally translated into Spanish. If it is, too, un mundo feliz, then the Huxley translators just didn't have any choice

OchrisO
08-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Star Wars Fate of the Jedi: Omen
That is an excellent book. I love that whole storyline.

I am reading Divided Allegiance, which is book 2 of The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.
I started reading this series because Jim Butcher mentioned it as one of his favorites in a Comic Con interview. I am liking it quite a bit so far. It has a very D&D feel to it and I am ok with that.

fernandito
08-15-2011, 09:17 AM
I haven't read any Star Wars novels since I was in High School. I found my 'Shadows of the Empire' book a few days ago, might give that a read as I remember it being a pretty damn good book and an excellent embellishment to the SW universe.

DoctorDodge
08-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Yeah, that was very enjoyable. Especially since it told things from Vader's perspective at certain points, something that a lot of EU novels are unable to do, naturally. Yes, I wouldn't mind reading that again, myself. Once my near-infinite reading list has gone down, of course!

tamez
08-15-2011, 10:29 AM
just finishing up R is for Rocket by Ray Bradbury. it was as classic and amazing as I thought it would be.
wonderful way to spend some time :D

pixiedark76
08-15-2011, 12:02 PM
I am reading "Everything's Eventual" by Stephen King

Darkthoughts
08-15-2011, 01:03 PM
I love that book. I'm not a short story fan on the whole, but EE is amazing.

Joe Strik
08-15-2011, 01:56 PM
I finished the Dark Tower series yesterday. Im thinking abou starting to read It or "From a Buick 8". Unless someone could recommend me a better book? I've read the Stand, Hearts in Atlantis, Under the Dome, Dreamcather.
Thanks.

John Blaze
08-15-2011, 02:35 PM
just finishing up R is for Rocket by Ray Bradbury. it was as classic and amazing as I thought it would be.
wonderful way to spend some time :D

::tackles and holds down:: You're staying HERE goddamnit!!!

Brice
08-15-2011, 02:48 PM
*agrees with the Tamez missing*

...and on Tamez's opinion regarding Bradbury

...and that Bruno needs to be reading Joe Hill

...and Lisa just needs to find more great short stories.

Seymour_Glass
08-15-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm reading The Other Wes Moore..... for college.

jhanic
08-15-2011, 04:13 PM
I finished the Dark Tower series yesterday. Im thinking abou starting to read It or "From a Buick 8". Unless someone could recommend me a better book? I've read the Stand, Hearts in Atlantis, Under the Dome, Dreamcather.
Thanks.

You might also want to try Insomnia. It's very closely tied to the DT series.

John

John Blaze
08-15-2011, 05:05 PM
It. Definitely. After The Stand, it's my favorite King book.

Merlin1958
08-15-2011, 08:06 PM
"Road Dogs"

Elmore Leonard

Great story and writing so far and I'm more than halfway through it!!!!

Tatts4Life
08-16-2011, 08:54 AM
I just got done reading Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs Cold Vengeance. I freakin LOVE their Pendergast novels and really liked this one. Not my favorite but still thought it was good.

pathoftheturtle
08-16-2011, 11:39 AM
It. Definitely. After The Stand, it's my favorite King book.Yes, indeed; not counting TDT, those are his best. I'd say that after It, The Stand is my favorite King book. Honestly, though it's not hard to recommend one better than From a Buick 8. That is far from his worst book, but still... :shrug:

Thanks.Hm... a'ite...ya just finished TDT, read those four, thinking about FaB8... :orely: I'd recommend The Talisman next, instead. :)
I love that book. I'm not a short story fan on the whole, but EE is amazing.Yeah, it was quite good. But how about novellas? SK rules the novella format & I must say that Full Dark, No Stars is probably the best thing he's published since HiA. :<3:

Joe Strik
08-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Cool, thanks everyone. I'll start It tomorrow :)

John Blaze
08-16-2011, 08:41 PM
It. Definitely. After The Stand, it's my favorite King book.Yes, indeed; not counting TDT, those are his best. I'd say that after It, The Stand is my favorite King book.
Must you ALWAYS be so contrary?:rolleyes:

:P :grouphug:

Bethany
08-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Nothing. After cramming A Dance With Dragons in so quickly, I just can't seem to find the energy to read anything. I can feel my brain atrophying.

Ruthful
08-16-2011, 09:16 PM
http://www.glennbeck.com/images/news/2008/05/050608-willful.jpg

frik
08-17-2011, 06:57 AM
http://www.sfsite.com/grc/1009/whlg.jpg

I've read it before, was not too impressed but of course had to order the limited.
I barely ever re-read a book (just too much new stuff out there to enjoy) but I'll give this one a go.

sk

WeDealInLead
08-17-2011, 07:01 AM
brian keene - conspiracy of one