PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Ben Staad
04-13-2011, 04:38 AM
Ex-Heroes

Peter Clines

(Zombies and Superheroes=Great Book)

Ruthful
04-13-2011, 09:33 AM
The Civil War, by John Keegan.

One of my favorite military historians. Figured this was an appropriate time to read it, considering the upcoming anniversary.

Erin
04-13-2011, 10:34 AM
I finished The Land OF Painted Caves yesterday. Auel limited herself to only one sexual scene, which is good. Altogether though, while entertaining, it was very anticlimactic. For a series ending book it was just there.

Holy cow, only one sex scene? :lol: I wonder how she managed.

I've heard a lot of negative reviews saying mainly what you did. I'm still debating a re-read before I start the last book.

harrison ryan
04-13-2011, 11:55 AM
I finished a re-read of Carrie last night. I'm halfway through Catching Fire--the second part of the Hunger Games series--but I left it at work. I'm working my way through King's VERY early short stories and poems today in an effort to start the most comprehensive reread of his work I've ever attempted. Anyone want to join me? I have digital versions of a lot of the juvenilia and college-era work.

beam*seeker
04-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Just reread the DT series and need a break. I was thinking of trying to get the anthology of the comics with the Fall of Gilead in it, just for kicks. In the meantime, I am reading a nonfiction called

"Inside of a Dog" which isn't that great

Ruthful
04-17-2011, 09:21 PM
An autographed copy of this:

http://slapblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/breitbart-e1300107600884.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eMs9v.jpg

kluker
04-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Loved Dead Zone when I finally got around to reading it lol.

Now i'm onto German How to speak and write it.

Erin
04-18-2011, 04:13 PM
That's awesome, Gerard! Did you meet him at a signing or just out and about on the street?

Girlystevedave
04-18-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm really debating a Harry Potter reread. I thought this would be the year of "new" books for me, but...I'm craving HP. :unsure:

alkanto
04-18-2011, 05:15 PM
I started The Hunger Games today. I was initially put off because it is written in first-person present tense (a personal pet-peeve of mine) but I got used to it afer 50 or so pages, and now it's getting really good!

harrison ryan
04-18-2011, 05:21 PM
I started The Hunger Games today. I was initially put off because it is written in first-person present tense (a personal pet-peeve of mine) but I got used to it afer 50 or so pages, and now it's getting really good!

I read it a week or so ago. I really liked the first one. The second one has been a bit slow going for me, though. I switched to another novel about a deadly competition, The Long Walk.

Ruthful
04-18-2011, 08:50 PM
That's awesome, Gerard! Did you meet him at a signing or just out and about on the street?

I went there with the New York YRs-was actually the first person to greet him when he got out of his car. The bar was named after the Overlook in The Shining, which was probably the best part of the bar, come to think of it.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/overlook-new-york-2#hrid:5LyA4jl7WcpbgeWnoJJtIw/src:self

pixiedark76
04-19-2011, 02:26 PM
I am finished with "IT" I keep having nightmares about clowns and werewolves. I am also afraid to give my kids a bath, don't want them to be attacked by the monster in the drain. I am now going to read Eyes of the Dragon.

Erin
04-19-2011, 05:09 PM
I started reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss last night. I've heard such great things about it so far!

OchrisO
04-19-2011, 05:19 PM
I started reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss last night. I've heard such great things about it so far!

About damned time! :P

I'm reading Fool's Fate by Robin Hobb.

Bethany
04-19-2011, 05:30 PM

I went to get the third Farseer book Saturday and they didn't have it :(

OchrisO
04-19-2011, 05:39 PM

I went to get the third Farseer book Saturday and they didn't have it :(

Aww, that sucks. Hopefully you can find it soon. It is really good. The second series, The Tawny Man Trilogy is pretty awesome as well. I only just started Fool's Fate, but I am really curious to see how she wraps everything up in the last book. It seems to me that there is still a lot of stuff to address for one book. I was laughing at myself a bit back because I stopped reading the Farseer books to read Patrick Rothfuss's second book The Wise Man's Fear and both are told in first person by the main character and I keep remembering stuff about FitzChivalry that is actually something about Kvothe from Rothfuss's books. I have done that several times.

SigTauGimp
04-20-2011, 01:38 AM

Good for you! You will not be disappointed, trust me. :D

John Blaze
04-20-2011, 05:54 AM
Reading Scarlet, book 2 of the King Raven trilogy.

Loving it.

alkanto
04-20-2011, 06:29 AM
:thumbsup: My favorite of the trilogy! I'm glad you were finally able to find a copy

OchrisO
04-20-2011, 07:16 AM

Loving it.

Such good books! I need to re-read them some time.

John Blaze
04-20-2011, 08:34 AM
:thumbsup: My favorite of the trilogy! I'm glad you were finally able to find a copyReally? One of my coworkers read all 3 and he says Tuck is best, but so far I liked Hood best.

Loving it.

Such good books! I need to re-read them some time.
Thanks for telling me about them. :D

beam*seeker
04-20-2011, 02:26 PM
(Re) Reading Duma Key (King). It is actually pretty good, story incorporates what I think of as King's personal experiences with his head injury--just really becomes whacked out and supernatural of course

alkanto
04-20-2011, 02:41 PM
:thumbsup: My favorite of the trilogy! I'm glad you were finally able to find a copyReally? One of my coworkers read all 3 and he says Tuck is best, but so far I liked Hood best.

I don't have any specific reasons for liking it, but it's always been my favorite. Probably because I always liked Will Scarlet in the movies/TV shows I watched growing up.

Reading right now? I just finished The Hunger Games, so know I am starting A Sea of Swords - R.A. Salvatore. Book 13 of the Legend of Drizzt series.

Ricky
04-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Rant - Chuck Palahniuk. Really, really, interesting so far.

harrison ryan
04-20-2011, 04:10 PM

I don't have any specific reasons for liking it, but it's always been my favorite. Probably because I always liked Will Scarlet in the movies/TV shows I watched growing up.

Reading right now? I just finished The Hunger Games, so know I am starting A Sea of Swords - R.A. Salvatore. Book 13 of the Legend of Drizzt series.

Not gonna go for Catching Fire, eh?

alkanto
04-20-2011, 04:13 PM
I would, but I don't have the money for it at the moment. I really want to continue the story, however

OchrisO
04-20-2011, 05:00 PM

I really like the Artemis stuff in those Path of Darkness books, but Wulfgar annoys me so much in those. It really got to me because Wulfgar is normally one of my favorite characters. He is such a sulky/whiney shithead after escaping from the Abyss, though. Granted, being in the Abyss should rightfully fuck someone up, but Wulgar's reaction was just too much for me.

SigTauGimp
04-20-2011, 08:30 PM
I've always been a Jaraxle(sp?) fan, myself. :D

OchrisO
04-21-2011, 05:36 AM
I've always been a Jaraxle(sp?) fan, myself. :D

I like Jaraxle quite a bit, but I always pit him and Artemis against each other for favor in my mind and Artemis always wins out.

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Artemis Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."

I pretty much love ever conversation the two of them have, though.

alkanto
04-22-2011, 10:12 AM
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv139/declarationDRC/NeilGaiman_AmericanGods.jpg

Took a break from Drizzt to read this. Or rather, I decided for the first time in a long time to tackle two books at once. I'm usually not good at that...I have a habit of picking a book and throwing the other to the wayside while I devour it. We'll see how this plays out....

beam*seeker
04-22-2011, 10:21 AM
^^^^^^ I fu**ing loved that book so much I read quite a few more. If you like it, his Good Omens was hilarious too. Only Neil could make the apocalypse so damn funny

DoctorDodge
04-22-2011, 10:30 AM
^^^^^^ I fu**ing loved that book so much I read quite a few more. If you like it, his Good Omens was hilarious too. Only Neil could make the apocalypse so damn funny

Only Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, don't forget! Not that i've read it, i just know it's a collaboration of both great writers, and that i seriously need to read it (along with a ton of other Gaiman books, including American Gods, and a ton of Discworld novels, of which Pratchett is the writer).

Currently, i'm just focusing on finishing off the Faction Paradox novel that i've been reading on and off for about a year! Finished the first volume of Drizzt, Talisman and my read of Dark Tower last week, so i really need to work on finishing this!

fernandito
04-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Dodge , you need to read American Gods, one of Gaiman's best. A contemporary classic. Good Omens is excellent as well.

DoctorDodge
04-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Yeah, well i had planned to read a lot of his work before Gaiman's ep of a certain show came on. Oh well, there's still another 3 weeks until that's broadcast at least, and i read Anansi Boys quick enough, so maybe there'll be time to read American Gods before then!

alkanto
04-22-2011, 10:46 AM
I am really enjoying it so far. I'm onlly about 50 pages into it, but Gaiman's style has really grabbed me. I'm afraid that this will be another situation where I completely drop Salvatore while I finish this one up.

OchrisO
04-22-2011, 12:35 PM
American Gods is my favorite book of all time. I have probably read it more than twenty times.

beam*seeker
04-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah, well i had planned to read a lot of his work before Gaiman's ep of a certain show came on. Oh well, there's still another 3 weeks until that's broadcast at least, and i read Anansi Boys quick enough, so maybe there'll be time to read American Gods before then!

if you read like me, they go quick

John Blaze
04-23-2011, 09:48 AM
AG is a great book, that one and Anansi Boys are my favorites by Gaiman.

In other news, I read all of Tuck yesterday. It was great, but I wish Lawhead woulda dragged it out a bit longer. The Count Rxinaldo part was awesome.

pixiedark76
04-23-2011, 01:52 PM
I finished Eyes of the Dragon and now I am reading Misery.

Brice
04-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Bryan Smith- Queen Of Blood

WeDealInLead
04-24-2011, 05:31 AM
Portents. Stories are creepy as hell and I've yet to come across a single gross out scene. It's a tribute to Charles Grant so they're all of the 'quiet horror' type.

Ric
04-24-2011, 06:21 AM
I just started going through this..

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LJjVAhWDeuk/TOhFVzTumoI/AAAAAAAAB90/O2XBORqviUw/s1600/I+am+Providence+Cover.jpg

I bought the signed edition a little while ago and have been waiting for the chance to go through these 2 volumes!

fernandito
04-24-2011, 07:02 AM
FINALLY completed Deathly Hallows ! :dance:

jhanic
04-24-2011, 07:41 AM
Ric, I'll be curious as to how you liked that book about Lovecraft. Joshi is one of the best resources on Lovecraft that I know.

John

Ric
04-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Ric, I'll be curious as to how you liked that book about Lovecraft. Joshi is one of the best resources on Lovecraft that I know.

Without question John, I think he IS the best! It's certainly exhaustive, that's for sure. So far I'm enjoying it.

what
04-25-2011, 03:57 AM
Back on A Game of Thrones... finally got into it and can't put it down!

Erin
04-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Yay! We shall convert everyone on this website to A Song of Ice and Fire fans. ::evil laughter::

fernandito
04-25-2011, 02:26 PM
I got Amanda (Girlystevedave) to start the series ! She text me a while ago that she just started A Game of Thrones.

(rubs hands together evilly)

Jean
04-25-2011, 11:26 PM
bears want some too

beam*seeker
04-26-2011, 08:15 AM

Only Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, don't forget! Not that i've read it, i just know it's a collaboration of both great writers, and that i seriously need to read it (along with a ton of other Gaiman books, including American Gods, and a ton of Discworld novels, of which Pratchett is the writer).

Currently, i'm just focusing on finishing off the Faction Paradox novel that i've been reading on and off for about a year! Finished the first volume of Drizzt, Talisman and my read of Dark Tower last week, so i really need to work on finishing this!

Yes, I had forgotten Terry Pratchett helped and always meant to pick up Disc World. Anansi Boys is good also. But American Gods was my favorite of Neil's.

I just finished Duma Key. Loved it, hated the ending which is my usual reaction to King's works. Now I think I need something new. Maybe I will stick with my Edgar Allen Poe for a while. I will keep fishing this thread for ideas I guess.

Hammer
04-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Alone/Lisa Gardner

John Blaze
04-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Started a Lonesome Dove reread.

Bethany
04-26-2011, 09:58 AM
The Valley of Horses. Doing an Ayla re-read.

John Blaze
04-26-2011, 10:13 AM
The Valley of Horses. Doing an Ayla re-read."like"

Yaksha
04-26-2011, 11:54 AM
A Storm of Swords. yeah. now i need to go by A Feast of Crows nn

Girlystevedave
04-26-2011, 12:36 PM
FINALLY completed Deathly Hallows ! :dance:

:wub:

Back on A Game of Thrones... finally got into it and can't put it down!

I just started my first read yesterday. I was pretty much hooked after the first chapter. :lol:

Yay! We shall convert everyone on this website to A Song of Ice and Fire fans. ::evil laughter::

Yeah, Feev and I made a deal that if he finished the damn Harry Potter series, I'd start ASoIaF. I didn't know he'd finish it within 24 hours. :lol:

I got Amanda (Girlystevedave) to start the series ! She text me a while ago that she just started A Game of Thrones.

(rubs hands together evilly)

Indeed you did. Indeed you did. And my sister is super excited too. She said: "I feel the same way you did when you got me to read The Dark tower. It's so exciting." :cyclops:

But seriously, this book is f*cking awesome so far.

Erin
04-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Oh Amanda. It only gets better. Just wait until A Storm of Swords, you won't be able to do anything else but read. You'll just have to tell Jacob he needs to give you some reading space. :P

pixiedark76
04-26-2011, 06:08 PM
I just finished reading Brian Keene "The Cage" I love it. Very scary. Very interesting ending.

Girlystevedave
04-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Oh Amanda. It only gets better. Just wait until A Storm of Swords, you won't be able to do anything else but read. You'll just have to tell Jacob he needs to give you some reading space. :P

I'll be all: "Get out of here! Mommy needs to read her stories." :lol:

pixiedark76
04-28-2011, 02:42 PM
I am now reading The Tommy-knockers (my least favorite SK book :arg: I did not like it at all when I first read it. It just seemed so long winded and boring. I am going to give it a chance and pretend I never read it.

harrison ryan
04-28-2011, 02:59 PM
I am now reading The Tommy-knockers (my least favorite SK book :arg: I did not like it at all when I first read it. It just seemed so long winded and boring. I am going to give it a chance and pretend I never read it.

There's something about that one that really speaks to me, although I think you're definitely not in the minority when you say it's one of your least favorite King novels... Having had some issues of my own with alcohol and addiction, I find it a powerful allegory. Of course, King himself was facing those same issues at the time of the novel's creation.

I've progressed to 'Salem's Lot in my King rereading. I'm halfway through it after two days. I've been reading the deleted and pre-revision material that appears in the Illustrated version concurrent with the places they occur in the finished novel. It's an interesting experiment.

LadyHitchhiker
04-29-2011, 05:49 AM
The Verbally Abusive Relationship by Patricia Evans...

kluker
04-29-2011, 06:09 AM
A child called IT by Dave Pelzer autobiography

LadyHitchhiker
04-29-2011, 06:25 AM
Oooh we sell that book at our bookstore, Kluker!

Bethany
04-29-2011, 08:06 AM

You need to read all of his books, Katie. Something he said The Lost Boy, I think, impacted my social work practice more than anything I learned in school or my bazillion trainings I've had. He commented that he would always remember that one of social workers always smelled good and that really made me stop and think about the personal, not professional or long term "safety and permanency", impact that I was having on the kids that I worked with.

I'm moving on to The Mammoth Hunters now. If I don't stop dreaming that I'm hanging out/working with Ayla all night long I may die of exhaustion.

Erin
04-29-2011, 09:19 AM
:lol: It must be tough inventing everything in the world all night.

Bethany
04-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Sheesh! Ain't it though?!

John Blaze
04-29-2011, 10:10 AM
:lol:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Just started Fight Club....my first Palahniuk....so far so good.

kluker
04-29-2011, 06:54 PM

You need to read all of his books, Katie. Something he said The Lost Boy, I think, impacted my social work practice more than anything I learned in school or my bazillion trainings I've had. He commented that he would always remember that one of social workers always smelled good and that really made me stop and think about the personal, not professional or long term "safety and permanency", impact that I was having on the kids that I worked with.

I have read all his books and the one his brother wrote made me want to do Social Work(still do)

Ruthful
04-29-2011, 10:46 PM
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/lion-books/297-1.jpg

candy
04-30-2011, 01:05 AM
Finally got Hunger by Michael Grant

Also reading The Graveyard Book, - Neil gaiman and Anansi Boys, also Gaiman

John Blaze
04-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Just started Fight Club....my first Palahniuk....so far so good.
I just started my own Fight Club.....................but I'm not supposed to talk about it. :ninja:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-30-2011, 04:09 PM
You just broke rules number 1 and 2.

LadyHitchhiker
04-30-2011, 04:23 PM
I just read "Through My Thick Skull" by Mary Buttafuoco (sp.?).

fernandito
05-02-2011, 12:21 PM
...Also reading The Graveyard Book, - Neil gaiman

Love that book.

candy
05-03-2011, 04:48 AM
it was very good, a little sad at the end. Just started on the Hunger book

Ben Staad
05-03-2011, 04:53 AM
Starting on the reread of Game of Thrones. I haven't read this book since like the 90's and had to blow dust off of it. I will note that I had forgotten how good this series is.

beam*seeker
05-03-2011, 05:22 AM
I just read "Through My Thick Skull" by Mary Buttafuoco (sp.?).

Is it autobiographical??? I am a hooooooooooooooooooooooooge true crime buff meself...

Girlystevedave
05-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Finished Game of Thrones last night....gonna start A Clash of Kings in a bit. Yay! :dance:

pixiedark76
05-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I just finished the Tommyknockers. I liked it much better the second time I read it. I don't totally hate it as much as I used to, but it is not one of my favorite SK books.

fernandito
05-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Finished Game of Thrones last night....gonna start A Clash of Kings in a bit. Yay! :dance:

Excellent. I think that by the time you finish the 5th novel the first season of the show will be out on dvd already, so you'll be able to catch up with the rest of us ! F'n A :D

Girlystevedave
05-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Haha!
My sister has already promised to rent them on Netflix for me when it comes out. :)

OchrisO
05-03-2011, 04:12 PM
I am reading The Stolen Throne by David Gaider. It is set in the world of the Dragon Age video games. I love Dragon Age and it isn't bad so far, but it hasn't really grabbed my attention strongly yet. Hopefully a good hook hits soon.

Emily
05-03-2011, 06:04 PM
I read The Graveyard Book lastnight and loved it. God I love Neil Gaiman.

OchrisO
05-03-2011, 06:24 PM

Speaking of Neil Gaiman did you see the 8in8 thing he was a part of?

http://music.amandapalmer.net/album/nighty-night

Neil Gaiman, Ben Folds, Amanda Palmer and Damian Kulash were all in town for some sort of music industry thing and decided they would try to write create and distribute an 8 song album in 8 hours while they were waiting. It ended up being 6 in 12, but is still a pretty amazing accomplishment. Neil sings the song The Problem With Saints. You can listen to them all for free in the link above.

Ruthful
05-04-2011, 12:15 AM
http://i43.tower.com/images/mm112182551/liars-poker-michael-lewis-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

http://images.betterworldbooks.com/140/The-Looming-Tower-9781400030842.jpg

candy
05-04-2011, 12:22 AM

Wasn't it good? Very original, i loved the whole thing even the end that i thought was a little sad. I am having a break from Gaiman (reading The Hunger) but I am then going to read the Anansi Boys

misterman
05-04-2011, 01:16 AM
The Sheltering Desert
Henno Martin

http://www.amazon.com/Sheltering-Desert-Henno-Martin/dp/0868521507

two German Scientists / Geologists flee from the inevitability the internment camp into the Namib desert, during WW2, The book is more about the many intellectual discussions they had during their solitude than "escape and survival"

They ingeniously figured out how to make the desert provide for them in abundance.

From an Amazon review:
escape" is not really the main theme. Neither is "survival", because as strange as it may appear, they often had too much to eat in that desert, even if they spent a few hungry weeks during an exceptionally long lasting drought. The real value of this book lies in the abundance of biological, zoological, geological, meteorological and social observations in one of the most arid places of the world. You will learn an incredible amount of details about animals, plants, insects... and meteorology that no one ever witnessed. But there is also the philosophical exchange between the two men/"

After you read the book, you can hop on Google Earf and see the exact spot where they lived in that desert canyon it's a mighty good read, and though I recommend the print copy, it is available for free as an ebook download as the copyright was never renewed.

LadyHitchhiker
05-04-2011, 04:45 AM
I'm finishing: "All I Ever Needed to Know About Life I Learned From Watching Star Trek"

Just read "Postcards from a Death Girl" which was great

"Last song of Orpheus" AMAZING

"Hull Zero Three" by Greg Bear which was too confusing and written more like a movie than a story

"The Good Divorce"

"Emotions, can you trust them?"

Ruthful
05-05-2011, 04:57 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7teseqA7b1qaouh8o1_400.jpg

LadyHitchhiker
05-05-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm reading any self-help book I can get my hands on, and I'm still reading "Just After Sunset" and "The Men Who Stare at Goats" and "Hex Hall".

Tito_Villa
05-05-2011, 11:52 PM
I finished Peter Straub's 'Ghost Story' yesterday, my first Straub book and i loved it :)

fernandito
05-06-2011, 06:54 AM
I'm reading any self-help book I can get my hands on, and I'm still reading "Just After Sunset" and "The Men Who Stare at Goats" and "Hex Hall".

I'm sorry ...

Jean
05-06-2011, 07:21 AM
I'm reading any self-help book I can get my hands on try some Bridget Jones (Helen Fielding), it's good for perspective - especially the second book

pixiedark76
05-06-2011, 01:30 PM
I took a break from reading SK and read No Country for Old Men by Cormac McMarthy. This book was so suspenseful and amazing that I had to finish it all in one night. (I stayed up until 3 a.m to finish it.)
I enjoyed the book. Some parts of the book was confusing. It seemed that a lot of key plot elements were left out or kept in the background. You had to "guess" at what had happened. I am still not sure if Anton Chigurh was put on Death Row, or if he got away in the car crash. I am not sure if Anton Chigurh was caught at the hotel by Bell. Did someone else go to jail for all of Anton Chigurh's crimes?

If anybody read the book, maybe we could discuss it.

DoctorDodge
05-06-2011, 02:00 PM
In anticipation of his upcoming episode in just over a week for the greatest show ever, I'm currently reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. As expected, from having previously read Anansi Boys, it is really awesome so far, even though i'm only about 50 pages in. He really has an amazing way of taking some of the oldest and greatest stories and bringing them into the modern day whilst still retaining their magic.

beam*seeker
05-06-2011, 04:11 PM

One of the best that helped me was "The Road Less Travelled" by Scott Peck. REALLY helped me put my problemas de amor into perspective :)

LadyHitchhiker
05-07-2011, 04:42 AM

I'm sorry ...
:wtf: This made me laugh out loud! I guess I don't have a sense of full perspective on the book yet because I've only just finished Gingerbread Girl and am moving onwards...

I'm reading any self-help book I can get my hands on try some Bridget Jones (Helen Fielding), it's good for perspective - especially the second book

Thank you sai, big big! :)

One of the best that helped me was "The Road Less Travelled" by Scott Peck. REALLY helped me put my problemas de amor into perspective :)

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!! :)

I'm just trying to get stronger, and to find the way that I never end up with anyone who doesn't really love me. And to find self-satisfaction - which I really don't think I'm that far from - and self-esteem and to figure out if I'm codependent or just a selfless giving person. But even being a selfless giving person, I have to learn to not feel like I'm being selfish when I do things for myself...

Brice
05-08-2011, 03:50 PM
I finished Peter Straub's 'Ghost Story' yesterday, my first Straub book and i loved it :)

Floating Dragon, next? Straub is great!

Patrick
05-08-2011, 11:44 PM
I love seeing all the people reading Gaiman, one of my favorite authors.

I am now reading a well-known author for the first time...

http://thefreegeorge.com/thefreegeorge/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/May102010450pmgirl_dragon_tattoo.jpg

fernandito
05-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Finished A Feast for Crows yesterday, and am now moving on to Catcher in the Rye. Haven't read this since High School.

The Road Virus
05-09-2011, 06:22 PM
I started reading the Travis McGee series's first book, The Deep Blue Good-By by John D. MacDonald (after King dropped his name in On Writing which I just finished), and have not been able to put it down. The imagery is good and the dialogue is the best I have ever come across in a book. The chapters are brief and very well composed making the story clip right along.

jhanic
05-10-2011, 04:04 AM
Those Travis McGee books have always been among my favorite light reading.

John

Tito_Villa
05-10-2011, 04:06 AM

Really Brice? I don't know which one of his to read next!

The Road Virus
05-10-2011, 01:34 PM
I just finished Deep Blue Good-By, starting on Nightmare in Pink now

kluker
05-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Percy Jackson(book one)
Greek Gods and their myths
Who's who Heros in Greek Mythology.

candy
05-12-2011, 12:17 AM
:thumbsup:

Brice
05-12-2011, 10:27 AM

Really Brice? I don't know which one of his to read next!

You can hardly go wrong with any of his early stuff. :)

The Road Virus
05-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Finished Nightmare in Pink, now very excited to read one of King's most popular novels, The Stand, for the first time

kluker
05-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Onto Book Two of Percy Jackson

Jean
05-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Finished Nightmare in Pink, now very excited to read one of King's most popular novels, The Stand, for the first timeoh, how I envy you! I wish I could read it again for the first time

candy
05-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Onto Book Two of Percy Jackson

What do you think of Book 2? The Battle of the Labyrinth is poss my favourite. (book 4)

Finished Nightmare in Pink, now very excited to read one of King's most popular novels, The Stand, for the first timeoh, how I envy you! I wish I could read it again for the first time

I sometimes wish i could wipe my mind clean just so I can re-read my favourite books.

Enjoy the Stand TRV, its my favourite book.

right, finished with Anansi Boys. Now off to Library to pick up next reading choice. And the best this is i wont know it till i see it

OchrisO
05-13-2011, 12:56 AM
I am reading a book called Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. I came across it when trying to find books is a similar vein to The Dresden Files. I can't say much about it yet, because I just started it, but it does seem to have the same sort of feel.

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old—when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power—plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish—to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

The Road Virus
05-13-2011, 05:55 AM
Thanks Candy and Jean, I know what you guys mean about wishing you could read your favourites for the first time again. I wish I could go that with DT 1, 2, and 4 especially (basically all of them except for WotC). I will let you guys know how I liked it once I am finished with the book!

fernandito
05-13-2011, 07:54 AM
I've been wanting to start the Dresden novels but fear that that series sailed without me a long time ago. How many books are there in the series ? I don't know if I'm down to start it if there's like ... 12, or 13 :lol:

Jean
05-13-2011, 08:54 AM
(basically all of them except for WotC)
gr gr grrrrrrrrrr? Bears' favoritest of the favoritestest?

alkanto
05-13-2011, 09:08 AM
I've been wanting to start the Dresden novels but fear that that series sailed without me a long time ago. How many books are there in the series ? I don't know if I'm down to start it if there's like ... 12, or 13 :lol:

Oh, there's already 13 books....with quite a few more promised! But really, you should read them, regardless. They are such a quick read, and amazing!

The Road Virus
05-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Really? I'm sorry Jean, it is by far my least favourite. It seemed to drag on and took me much longer than any other DT book. My order would prob be: 4,2,1,3,7,6,5.

Jean
05-13-2011, 09:42 AM
did you see all those threads in Gilead section? I hope you will post there, I am interested to know what you think

The Road Virus
05-13-2011, 10:08 AM
No I do not know if I did, can you please specify as to which ones you are referring to?

Ps I'm 2 chapters in to The Stand and I'm already hooked, I loved how the characters from the intro and first chapter come together

jhanic
05-13-2011, 11:13 AM
I assume you're reading the Uncut Stand. I literally read and reread my paperback copy to shreds, so that I eventually got a cheap hardcover for my reading copy. I love that book!

John

The Road Virus
05-13-2011, 11:24 AM
John, yes I am reading the uncut edition. It's just a paperback. I intend to get a hardcover collectors one once I build a solid collection and have the bankroll. I can already tell I am going to enjoy this book. I estimating reading time between 10 and 14 days but after the first day I am more inclinded to guess near the min of that estimate, if not lower.

OchrisO
05-13-2011, 12:19 PM

Yeah, there are 12+ a book of short stories, but if you start them, you will be through them and wishing for more in no time. They are amazingly good books and easy reads. I suggest at least giving the first one a try. It is called Storm Front. There is also a book called Wizard for Hire that is the first three novels (Storm Front, Fool Moon & Grave Peril) in one edition.

Jean
05-13-2011, 12:25 PM
No I do not know if I did, can you please specify as to which ones you are referring to?

Ps I'm 2 chapters in to The Stand and I'm already hooked, I loved how the characters from the intro and first chapter come togetherJust look around Mid-World section. There are tons of interesting threads there

Ruthful
05-14-2011, 01:23 PM
http://www.scotiana.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Herman-Melville-Moby-Dick-Penguin-Classics-19921.jpg

pathoftheturtle
05-14-2011, 01:57 PM
I sometimes wish i could wipe my mind clean just so I can re-read my favourite books.That sounds like a great beginning for a new book, right there. :lol:

pixiedark76
05-14-2011, 03:07 PM
I am reading The Dark Half, by Stephen King.

ELazansky
05-14-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm currently reading The Brotherhood of the Rose by David Morrell

Ruthful
05-14-2011, 06:42 PM
http://ffbsccn.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/inside-the-kingdom2.jpg

Cook
05-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Finishing Pet Sematary, then moving to Last Call (Powers)

mystima
05-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Finished Dead Reckoning by Charlene Harris. The Sookie Stackhouse novels are so addicting that I can't wait for the next one. Still waiting for Clive Barker to finish the Abarat series. I just hope he doesn't leave the story where it is now.

Jean
05-16-2011, 04:57 AM
haven't read this particular series, but my Barker experience tells me he doesn't leave a story until he pumps it dry, and then some

frik
05-16-2011, 06:57 AM
I collected all four books of Tad Williams' Shadowmarch series and finally started reading the first, Shadowmarch.

http://www.keepingthedoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/shadowmarch.jpg

I keep telling myself. don't buy Williams again, as I think he's a so-so writer, but everytime again I find myself buying his new books - and enjoying them...sort off...

sk

The Road Virus
05-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Cook, how was PS? I am considering reading that Tommyknockers or maybe Christine after I finish The Stand

fernandito
05-16-2011, 07:29 AM
haven't read this particular series, but my Barker experience tells me he doesn't leave a story until he pumps it dry, and then some

Have you read Imajica ?

Jean
05-16-2011, 07:48 AM
no, my experience with Barker short stories warns me to stay away from anything that long

do you think I should try?

Darkthoughts
05-16-2011, 08:27 AM
I feel the same way, Jean. I have Imajica on my shelf, but I'm afraid to try it after being put off by The Great And Secret Show.

Jean
05-16-2011, 08:56 AM
if I had it on my shelf, I might give it a try

how about you lead the way? you'll tell me how formidable the task really is

fernandito
05-16-2011, 09:24 AM
My perspective on Barker is somewhat limited seeing as how Imajica is my only exposure to him. I loved the novel though, it reminded me in many ways of the Dark Tower series, albeit on a much less smaller scale.

frik
05-16-2011, 09:28 AM
The early Barker is awesome.
Do read his Books of Blood, or Weaveworld.
Never, ever read anything like it.

sk

Jean
05-16-2011, 09:34 AM
yes, it's actually Books of Blood that gave me some doubts

Erin
05-16-2011, 10:11 AM
The only Barker I've ever read is Imajica (on Feev's advice) and the Thief of Always (aka THE BEST BOOK EVER).

I really loved both, but have never ventured into his other stuff.

kluker
05-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Back onto Salem's Lot while I wait for Book Four of Percy Jackson.

fernandito
05-16-2011, 11:40 AM
The only Barker I've ever read is Imajica (on Feev's advice)

I like this :wub:

and the Thief of Always (aka THE BEST BOOK EVER).

Did you read my fb status a while back where I said that I wanted to read this book purely because I loved the cover art ? :lol: Is it really that good ?

frik - I plan on checking out Weaveworld soon. That book has been in my radar for a very, very long time. I think it's about time I pick it up.

Emily
05-16-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm trying to do a slow reread of ASoIaF before Dance with Dragons comes out. I freaking love these books.

Also, last night I dreamt that I was reading a Neil Gaiman book that no one had ever heard of before, and when I woke up I was supremely disappointed :lol:

Darkthoughts
05-16-2011, 12:32 PM
If you really had a Gaiman book no one had read, I would be stalking you :P

I've been recommended Weaveworld too. And now, well it was so bizarre I thought you'd been on the phone to my Mum or something Feev, because she was raving about how awesome ASOIAF is today...bizarre!

beam*seeker
05-16-2011, 03:40 PM
I dug out my old Lovecraft collection and just finished The Music of Erik Zahn (I mis-spelled this I think) and Cold Air. I may switch it up and do a little EA Poe tonight.

The Road Virus
05-16-2011, 03:51 PM
I am looking to start reading some Lovecraft before the end of summer. What would you suggest if I was looking for the cream of the crop (like top two or three)?

frik
05-16-2011, 09:52 PM
frik - I plan on checking out Weaveworld soon. That book has been in my radar for a very, very long time. I think it's about time I pick it up.

Definitely!
And do let us know what you think.

sk

beam*seeker
05-17-2011, 05:52 AM
I am looking to start reading some Lovecraft before the end of summer. What would you suggest if I was looking for the cream of the crop (like top two or three)?

Well, there are many to pick and choose from. He did not write novels, so most of his stories were sold as short stories to magazines like "Weird Tales" and such. So they are available now as anthologies. I'd go into your favorite book store, grab a collection and read "The Call of Cthulhu." (I love reading in the bookstore before I decide to buy or not, or even if I know I am not gonna buy) If you don't love that, you are not gonna love Lovecraft IMHO. It's short enough for a read in the book store. My bet is you end up buying the book. That's pretty much how I got hooked.

Jean
05-17-2011, 07:06 AM
oh, Virus, do read Lovecraft! Anything will do.

pathoftheturtle
05-17-2011, 07:32 AM
I feel the same way, Jean. I have Imajica on my shelf, but I'm afraid to try it after being put off by The Great And Secret Show.Ah, yes, you should be. Turns out that Imajica is the same, only more so.

Erin
05-17-2011, 07:33 AM

Did you read my fb status a while back where I said that I wanted to read this book purely because I loved the cover art ? :lol: Is it really that good ?

:lol: I do remember seeing that. The Theif of Always was my favorite book as a kid, I absolutely loved it. I read it again a couple years ago to make sure it was still everything I remembered it to be and enjoyed it just as much!

pathoftheturtle
05-17-2011, 07:36 AM
... last night I dreamt that I was reading a Neil Gaiman book that no one had ever heard of before, and when I woke up I was supremely disappointed :lol:http://macabresque.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dream_library.gif

Erin
05-17-2011, 07:37 AM
And pathoftheturtle wins the thread with a Sandman reference!

pathoftheturtle
05-17-2011, 07:45 AM
And pathoftheturtle wins the thread with a Sandman reference!Couldn't resist, thx. :lol: But if there's just one thread on this site that's insurmountable, it is this one.

... I keep telling myself. don't buy Williams again, as I think he's a so-so writer, but everytime again I find myself buying his new books - and enjoying them...sort off...

skYeah, I know what you mean. Last one I enjoyed totally was Tailchaser's Song. (1985)

Emily
05-17-2011, 11:23 AM
... last night I dreamt that I was reading a Neil Gaiman book that no one had ever heard of before, and when I woke up I was supremely disappointed :lol:http://macabresque.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dream_library.gif

:lol: YES.

Tito_Villa
05-17-2011, 11:31 AM
reading 'The Spear' by James Herbert, this is the first of his books i have ever read and it's bloody brilliant!

Ric
05-17-2011, 01:29 PM

:lol: I do remember seeing that. The Theif of Always was my favorite book as a kid, I absolutely loved it. I read it again a couple years ago to make sure it was still everything I remembered it to be and enjoyed it just as much!

It's been really interesting to see Clive turn from this shocking, no filter horror master, through his "fantastique" phase (which I love!) and into his young adult phase. Even though Thief of Always was done in '92, in many ways it set the table for Abarat and where Clive's mind is now. I was so pleased to see him return to his roots a bit with Mister B. Gone, but I believe his passion is with the Abarat world right now. It will be interesting to see if the Scarlet Gospels ever get published because that's probably what I'm most interested in reading now.

There can never be too much Clive for me. I started a "collectible Barker" thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?12394-The-Collectible-Clive-Barker) over in Calvin's Corner.

pixiedark76
05-18-2011, 01:36 PM
I finished "The Dark Half" and now I am reading "Four Past Midnight." by Stephen King

candy
05-19-2011, 08:09 AM
Just started The Illumination - Kevin Brockmeier. It looks really good, which bodes well as this may be the last of the reads for a while. The premise looks tantalising; - 'all over the world pain is manifesting itself as light' intermingled in this is the story of a book, that goes through the hands of 5 people. and the story is how the book affects their lives with the 'illumination' story in the background

fernandito
05-19-2011, 09:30 AM
I was so pleased to see him return to his roots a bit with Mister B. Gone...

How does that novel stack up against his other work ? I've mostly read lukewarm responses from critics , but Barker's fans seem to love it.

John Blaze
05-19-2011, 08:21 PM
I finally read Full Dark, No Stars.

Best thing he's put out in years.

The Road Virus
05-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Currently jogging my way through The Stand. I am about 400 pages in (6 or so left) and it is so good, I just want to enjoy it like an exquisite meal. I can already tell it is going to be top 3 (at least) in my read King books. RF is BA:cowboy:

Jean
05-19-2011, 09:41 PM
what are the other two?

John Blaze
05-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Currently jogging my way through The Stand. I am about 400 pages in (6 or so left) and it is so good, I just want to enjoy it like an exquisite meal. I can already tell it is going to be top 3 (at least) in my read King books. RF is BA:cowboy:

I'm pretty sure I've said this before.

#1. The Stand, uncut
#2. It
#3. Carrie

Jean
05-20-2011, 12:56 AM
I wish I could be as definite about # 3

#1. It
#2. The Stand, uncut
#3. Desperation, Black House, Duma Key

DoctorDodge
05-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Hmm, i still need to read those other choices for number 3 you mentioned Jean, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who considers Black House superior to The Talisman.

Jean
05-20-2011, 02:03 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/BEAR-HUG.jpg

Bethany
05-20-2011, 05:23 AM

I'm pretty sure I've said this before.

#1. The Stand, uncut
#2. It
#3. Carrie

So conflicted. You say this but thn you say FDNS is great. Does not compute.

I love Weaveworld! That is some sick reading.

The Road Virus
05-20-2011, 06:39 AM
Well admittedly, I have not read nearly as much King as many of the posters on the fourms. I still have to tackle It (made a few attempts while in HS but never could build up the momentum to get past the first 50 pages or so), Salem's Lot and plenty of other classics but I think the DT series will always be up in there, right now I would have to say:
1. DT II
2. DT IV
3. 35 (or so)% finished The Stand, uncut
Those are where I Stand (ha) currently

alkanto
05-20-2011, 07:09 AM
I just started The Gunslinger for the 3rd time last night....I'm about half-way through it already. It was most definitely time for a re-read...afteralll, last time was last summer when I joined this board and I realized a few days ago that I am nearing my 1-year anniversary! I figured it was an appropriate time :)

As far as top 3 SK books, I suppose I could give mine...
1. The Wastelands
2. 'Salem's Lot
3. The Stand

Admittedly I've not read as many King books as I should've at this point (or as many as I've wanted to, even) but those 3 consistently stay at the top since I've read them....

Ka-mai
05-20-2011, 10:06 AM
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I'm finding it hard because I read the first 2 books several months ago, so I don't remember all the characters in context. Also, there are about a hundred names in here, I can't keep track of them all, and either the author makes too many digressions or I'm just unable to understand what they have to do with the plot. I'm betting on the former, though. All in all, not my favorite.

The Road Virus
05-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Still on The Stand but just picked up a couple books to get the first half of my summer reading in order. I got a Purple Place for Dying (the third Travie McGee book) for after The Stand, Salem's Lot for after this book AND The Best of H.P. Lovecraft to begin right now in supplement to my novel reading (this was due to Beam's suggestion, so thank you for that Beam :) )

frik
05-20-2011, 11:12 PM

#1. It
#2. The Stand, uncut

So Lisey's Story is out for now?

sk

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-21-2011, 02:25 AM
Schindler's List.

and top three are:
1.It
2.The Stand(uncut)
3.Pet Sematary

LadyHitchhiker
05-21-2011, 04:23 AM
I just read:

Hex Hall
Demon Glass
The Forest of Hands and Teeth
Zombies Don't Cry

and I liked them all!

Jean
05-21-2011, 06:45 AM

#1. It
#2. The Stand, uncut

So Lisey's Story is out for now?

sk

alas...

Ric
05-21-2011, 07:59 AM
I was so pleased to see him return to his roots a bit with Mister B. Gone...

How does that novel stack up against his other work ? I've mostly read lukewarm responses from critics , but Barker's fans seem to love it.

I love it. It's a first person telling of a demon possessing a book... the book you're reading! It's very Clive and is a fast read. I'd recommend it.

Ruthful
05-21-2011, 11:49 PM
http://richardminiter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/mastermind.png

LadyHitchhiker
05-22-2011, 07:57 PM
I am reading evermore... I have my suspicions this is another twilight like story but don't ruin it for me if you haven't read them yet!

frik
05-22-2011, 09:27 PM
http://www.aidanmoher.com/blog/reviews/tad-williams/images/shadowplay.jpg

OchrisO
05-23-2011, 01:56 AM
I am reading Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs. It is the second in a series of urban fantasy books that focuses on a woman named Mercy Thompson who is a coyote skinwalker that was raised among werewolves. It is a pretty good series so far. I think that anyone who likes The Dresden Files would probably enjoy this series.

Adumbros
05-23-2011, 02:03 AM
I am reading words on a computer screen. on this very site, no less. in correlation to the topic of this thread, amazingly enough. if barnes & nobles were as varied in author as they are large in architectural scope i would currently be enjoying the final volume in Kate Elliott's 'Crossroads' trilogy, but alas, I am forced to subsist on the random semantics and meanderings of my fellow internet trolls. :)

fernandito
05-23-2011, 09:17 AM
http://www.blogbyben.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/the-alchemist2.jpg

Twas a birthday gift. Apparently it's one of last century's defining novels, and judging by reviews/impressions by both fans and critics alike it seems to be almost universally loved. Will post my impressions once I've completed it.

Jean
05-23-2011, 09:24 AM
sorry to say this, but bears' opinion is exactly the opposite... but we might talk when you're through

Tito_Villa
05-23-2011, 09:29 AM
After finishing 'The Spear' which i loved i'm now on 'The Fog' by James Herbert

fernandito
05-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Looking forward to it, brother bear. It's a relatively quick read so I'll be shooting you a pm soon.

what
05-24-2011, 03:56 AM
Finished A Game of Thrones and reading the 2nd book now... Absolutely loved it!

fernandito
05-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Excellent. Are you watching the show as well ?

candy
05-24-2011, 11:31 AM
quick question, I dont want to go into any of the other thread for fear of spoilers

Are the books called Game of Thrones or Fire and ice?

alkanto
05-24-2011, 11:37 AM
candy: The series is called A Song of Ice and Fire. A Game of Thrones is the first book.

candy
05-24-2011, 11:38 AM
excellent, thank you :rose:

fernandito
05-24-2011, 05:09 PM
This is what you're looking for

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1239039164l/13496.jpg

Jimimck
05-24-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm finally reading DT 7.

I had to stop the other day when both Eddie & Jake were killed. Haven't read it since... I guess I need to push through.

what
05-25-2011, 03:51 AM
Excellent. Are you watching the show as well ?

Yep, the first episode got me excited to finish the first book... I had taken a break a quarter way through. The series is excellent so far!

The Road Virus
05-25-2011, 05:23 AM
I'm finally reading DT 7.

I had to stop the other day when both Eddie & Jake were killed. Haven't read it since... I guess I need to push through.

Yes... please do :pullhair:

You have no idea (assuming you have not come across the spoiler in your time posting here) what is in store. Anything is possible, (I'm not sure how to do spoilers) Jake has already been lost to the ka-tet before and came back.

I suggest you "push on", finish it and let us all know what you think about it in the DT7 fourm so we can discuss :thumbsup: (though I have not read it in quite sometime hah)

pathoftheturtle
05-25-2011, 06:25 AM
:doh: Click this symbol - http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s12/POTT2007/tdtorgsi.jpg

The Road Virus
05-25-2011, 06:34 AM
Has been adjusted, thank you kindly Path

frik
05-25-2011, 06:36 AM

Can't wait to read this series, but I'm going to wait till the whole thing is done..somewhere around 2025.

sk

WeDealInLead
05-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Finished Starship Troopers. I'm on the fence about its message. I agree with what some other author said (name escapes me) "Heinline forgot to put in the plot." It's basically 200 pages of pro military propaganda.

I agree with some of the stuff (pro death penalty, that rights come with responibilities) but its overly pro-military and almost fascist views are making me reconsider future readings of Heinlein's books. Maybe I'll stick to his non-military sci-fi but this was the second book in a row that made me feel a little uneasy (first was The Puppet Masters). I understand that his writting was a product of those times (Cold War) but at times it's a little too much. You can read the summary at Wiki if you haven't read the book.

On the other hand, his The Door to Summer was great.

Ruthful
05-26-2011, 03:41 AM
Herman Melville, Moby Dick

Bethany
05-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Started a re-read of Winds of War last night.

fernandito
05-26-2011, 06:48 AM

Can't wait to read this series, but I'm going to wait till the whole thing is done..somewhere around 2025.

sk

Won't Skynet have taken over by then though ?

LadyHitchhiker
05-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Finished Evermore, Blue Moon, couldn't make it through Need. Finished Just After Sunset and am now starting Mockingjay.

Adumbros
05-28-2011, 10:30 AM
In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks by Adam Carolla (yes, he of the Man Show)

mae
05-28-2011, 01:19 PM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1936365189/

Was in the local Barnes & Noble reading the new Stephen King short story and saw this volume on the shelves that caught my eye (and how could it not):

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FbMxuqKaL.jpg

It's a thousand-pager and made to look like an old-fashioned tome without a dust jacket. The reviews make it sound epic and compelling but I never read anything by John Sayles.

Adumbros
05-28-2011, 03:18 PM
i wanna stop readin and start writin. and then get published, rich, and decide i'm too good to be a member of this site.

LadyHitchhiker
05-28-2011, 04:42 PM
I wanna write, then get published, rich, and use this site to promote my book.

Ruthful
05-28-2011, 06:17 PM
http://www.tj-english.com/images/book_covers/BornToKill_cover.jpg

mystima
05-28-2011, 11:20 PM
just started Full Dark, No Stars.

DoctorDodge
05-29-2011, 10:25 AM
i wanna stop readin and start writin. and then get published, rich, and decide i'm too good to be a member of this site.

My problem isn't not writing at all so much as not writing or even reading enough! Hmmm, a fact i shall aim to rectify for the next couple of hours with an hour spent reading American Gods and another hour spent writing a single page, get frustrated, then go back to watching Trigun!

Adumbros
05-29-2011, 12:44 PM
i will acknowledge you all for ruining my life.

jhanic
05-29-2011, 03:40 PM
You're VERY welcome!! :evil:

John

LadyHitchhiker
05-29-2011, 04:09 PM
I second that notion. What horrible friends we are that we're not helping you further you career. :D

Jethro
05-30-2011, 06:41 AM
Wizard and Glass :)

jhanic
05-30-2011, 07:16 AM
I just finished my umpteenth reread of Harry Potter and am now again reading Duma Key.

John

Adumbros
05-30-2011, 08:33 AM
I second that notion. What horrible friends we are that we're not helping you further you career. :D

i shall name you in my "this book is for" segment. as "that smart-mouth bitch what tempted mine evil soul to shine" :lol:

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2011, 11:13 AM

i shall name you in my "this book is for" segment. as "that smart-mouth bitch what tempted mine evil soul to shine" :lol:

LOL!!!! You should replace bitch with cat, though. I am much more cat-like ;)

Btw, I'm reading Night Shift

fernandito
05-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Hope to have World War Z finished within a week. Might start The Girl Who Played with Fire next.

Adumbros
05-31-2011, 12:05 PM
currently reading......

words on a screen, written in magnificent former by the members of tdt.net/com/org/wetf-is-next :D

candy
06-01-2011, 04:47 AM
Currently reading Lies by Micheal grant, and then onto a re-read of American Gods

Erin
06-01-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm reading The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum. Holy cow is this book ever a brutal account of child abuse (it's based on true events). I read for nearly 2 hours last night before bed because I was so horrified with what was happening, I had to see what happened next.

Stockerlone
06-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Just startet. Birgit Erwin - Lichtscheu - Lightshy

frik
06-01-2011, 10:53 AM
http://www.aidanmoher.com/blog/reviews/tad-williams/images/shadowplay.jpg

jhanic
06-01-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm reading The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum. Holy cow is this book ever a brutal account of child abuse (it's based on true events). I read for nearly 2 hours last night before bed because I was so horrified with what was happening, I had to see what happened next.

Erin, I know just what you mean. That book completely turned me off, but I couldn't put it down.

John

Erin
06-01-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm glad someone else had the same reaction. I read the entire thing in a day and a half.

OchrisO
06-01-2011, 10:17 PM
I am now reading River Marked by Patricia Briggs, which makes me sad, because it is the last one in the Mercy Thompson series and I am really enjoying them. The next one isn't scheduled until 2013 :(

mae
06-02-2011, 06:13 AM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1936365189/

Was in the local Barnes & Noble reading the new Stephen King short story and saw this volume on the shelves that caught my eye (and how could it not):

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FbMxuqKaL.jpg

It's a thousand-pager and made to look like an old-fashioned tome without a dust jacket. The reviews make it sound epic and compelling but I never read anything by John Sayles.

McSweeney's has a cool companion site for the book: http://www2.mcsweeneys.net/books/amomentinthesun - you can read the first chapter and get some DVD-like extras. Very cool.

Also, a few podcasts with Sayles:

http://libwww.freelibrary.org/podcast/?podcastID=652
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/06/01/midmorning2/
http://www.scpr.org/programs/patt-morrison/2011/05/19/king-of-the-indies-john-sayles-a-moment-in-the-sun/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSfGbfHywYQ

LadyHitchhiker
06-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Now onto nightmares and dreamscapes... :)

Tried Evermore; didn't really like it...

Tried two other books I can't think of the title... didn't like them; I guess I'm on a King capade for a while... Uncle Steve would be vewy proud of me.

frik
06-06-2011, 02:07 AM
getting there.....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hY-4lomJSGs/TP6PkDqFnGI/AAAAAAAACDo/LALnH2bw9bA/s1600/shadowrise.JPG

kluker
06-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Battle of the Laberinth Percy Jackson (finally)

Erin
06-06-2011, 06:28 AM
That's a good book, kluker!

I started my re-read of the A Song of Ice and Fire books last night in anticipation of reading them all to be refreshed when A Dance With Dragons is released July 12th! Awww yeah!

fernandito
06-06-2011, 07:52 AM
I've been struggling with the same cot damn book for about a month and you're planning on plowing through four 1,000+ books within the span of one month. I suck :lol:

Ricky
06-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Well, if it's a particularly terrible book, you're forgiven, feev. If not, no excuses. :lol:

Erin
06-06-2011, 09:52 AM
:lol: I started a bit later than I intended, but I think I can do it in time. Read faster, Feev! :p

Fall of Gilead
06-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Phantoms/Dean Koontz
Stinger/Robert McCammon
The Tomb/F. Paul Wilson

jhanic
06-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Phantoms is one of my most favorite Koontz books. The beginning is SO spooky! I love it!

John

The Road Virus
06-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Finally (with a 5 day break) finished The Stand. Def one of my top two favorites for SK that I have read so far. Now taking a SK break before Salem's Lot with with Purple Place for Dying.

Patrick
06-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Finished:
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO
and
THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE.

Now reading:

http://girlsgonereading.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/world-without-end.jpg

Garrell
06-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Wolves of the Calla

Adumbros
06-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Hater, by David Moody. thank God someone in Britain can write better than that lame Harry Potter chick.

DoctorDodge
06-07-2011, 01:30 AM
Believe it or not, Adumbros, there are in fact other writers in this country than J.K. Rowling! :P

I haven't read any of them...

LadyHitchhiker
06-07-2011, 05:21 AM
The President's Vampire by Christopher Farnsworth

Ricky
06-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Finished:
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO
and
THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE.

How was TGWTDT, Patrick? I've been on the fence about reading it ever since they were published. I can't decide if I like the plot or not. :orely:

fernandito
06-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Well, if it's a particularly terrible book, you're forgiven, feev. If not, no excuses. :lol:

I'm reading World War Z. Content-wise, I love it. The author uses a hypothetical zombie apocalypse as a backdrop to tackle virtually every political and social issue you can imagine. What's giving me a hard time is the format in which it's written, it's told through the POV's of dozens of survivors. It's a bit jarring to keep switching locations and tone of narration every few pages. Still, I'm glad I've stuck with it because it really is a great novel, just a few more pages left to go.

candy
06-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Greg Egan - Oceanic (not what I thought it was)

jhanic
06-07-2011, 09:32 AM

I'm reading World War Z. Content-wise, I love it. The author uses a hypothetical zombie apocalypse as a backdrop to tackle virtually every political and social issue you can imagine. What's giving me a hard time is the format in which it's written, it's told through the POV's of dozens of survivors. It's a bit jarring to keep switching locations and tone of narration every few pages. Still, I'm glad I've stuck with it because it really is a great novel, just a few more pages left to go.

I had a problem while reading this book also. I didn't see much difference in the various tones of the various narrators. They all sounded almost the same to me. Other than that, it was an okay book.

John