PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

DoctorDodge
11-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Cheers! I'll order those books moment I finish Colour of Magic! Especially since I'm playing Baldur's Gate and want to know a little bit more info and history about the Forgotten Realms. Also, what's really cool is he makes a cameo appearance in the game, as well. If you know where to look, anyway!

fernandito
11-15-2010, 09:45 AM
You should look into the A Song of Ice and Fire series, DD, it looks like you enjoy high fantasy and those books might be right up your alley.

John Blaze
11-15-2010, 03:47 PM
You should look into the A Song of Ice and Fire series, DD, it looks like you enjoy high fantasy and those books might be right up your alley.

Very YES!

DoctorDodge
11-15-2010, 04:10 PM

Well, there's not a lot of high fantasy that I read to be honest. I want to check out the Drizzt books because I'm intrigued by the Forgotten Realms setting (being such a big fan of Baldur's Gate is partly responsible for that (even if I haven't completed BG2 yet)), but I've heard a lot of great things about ASoIaF. The biggest reason I'm checking out the Discworld novels is less because they're fantasy and more because they're bonkers and funny, really. The Dark Tower series I've enjoyed so much because it's so different and so unlike anything out there. I've tried getting into Thomas Covenant, but...it didn't appeal to me as much I'd hoped it would. Sorry guys who enjoy that series, but I read the first volume and half of the second and I wasn't a fan.

Erin
11-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Feev and JB know what they're talking about. It is known. :)

ladysai
11-15-2010, 06:15 PM
One chapter of "A Game of Thrones" and you'll forget there ever was a character named Thomas Covenant. Seriously.

John Blaze
11-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Listen to these girls, they know what they're talking about!

candy
11-16-2010, 10:26 AM
:excited:FULL DARK NO STARS:excited:

Ruthful
11-18-2010, 11:46 PM
http://www.shortandsweetnyc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Hitch-22-Book.jpg

kluker
11-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Full Darkk, No Stars. At the moment might look into the series Fire and Ice since so many are saying its good

Ricky
11-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Almost through 1922 in Full Dark, No Stars. It's good, but not my favorite King story by far. I hope that the others get "darker" than this one.

John Blaze
11-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Full Darkk, No Stars. At the moment might look into the series Fire and Ice since so many are saying its good
DO IT!

Erin
11-22-2010, 07:05 AM
This weekend I started Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin. I love the A Song of Ice and Fire series so much, but have never read any of GRRM's other works.

So far, I've been totally hooked. This book has a really creepy, ominious feel to it and I can tell it's really starting to build to something crazy happening.

fernandito
11-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Let me know what you think of Fevre Dream, Erin. It's one of my all time favorite novels. :wub:

alkanto
11-22-2010, 10:00 AM
This weekend I started Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin. I love the A Song of Ice and Fire series so much, but have never read any of GRRM's other works.

So far, I've been totally hooked. This book has a really creepy, ominious feel to it and I can tell it's really starting to build to something crazy happening.

Fevre Dream is a very creepy book! I read it when I was in middle school...it scared me a bit, I'm not afraid to admit. It was quite good, though. I should read it again...soon.

jhanic
11-22-2010, 05:27 PM
In honor of the film, I'm rereading Deathly Hallows.

John

Erin
11-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Let me know what you think of Fevre Dream, Erin. It's one of my all time favorite novels. :wub:

I thought of you when I decided to read it! :wub:

John Blaze
11-22-2010, 08:43 PM
I loved it also, and in light of Ann's recent writing announcement I sent her one. I hope she's reading it. You might ask her, Erin.

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-23-2010, 11:45 PM
I've been sprinkling in some Phillip K. Dick short stories when I'm not on the bike reading ASoIaF. Very interesting and thought provoking

John Blaze
11-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Mo, did you know about the Tales of Dunk and Egg?

Voozle
11-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Finished Slaughterhouse-Five, just starting Catch-22 in my ongoing quest to remain educated without ever taking another lit course.

Could anyone recommend a collection of Arthurian tales? I'm borrowing a copy of Steinbeck's King Arthur modernization; good choice? I don't know anything about the subject, but all the references in the Dark Tower got me interested.

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Mo, did you know about the Tales of Dunk and Egg?

No I dont, please elaborate .

Finished Slaughterhouse-Five, just starting Catch-22 in my ongoing quest to remain educated without ever taking another lit course.

Could anyone recommend a collection of Arthurian tales? I'm borrowing a copy of Steinbeck's King Arthur modernization; good choice? I don't know anything about the subject, but all the references in the Dark Tower got me interested.

When I was a Sophomore we had a whole semester on Arthurian Literature. It was the best semester of English I ever had. Sadly, I'm 31 not and dont remember a lot of it. Mists of Avalon is a good tale from the female point of view

fernandito
11-25-2010, 09:18 AM

I thought of you when I decided to read it! :wub:

:wub:

candy
11-25-2010, 10:18 AM
re-reading TALISMAN

Darkthoughts
11-26-2010, 05:07 AM
Books like Talisman are a joy to reread, it's like settling into a comfy chair :wub:

I got loads of new books for my birthday, but I haven't got any time to read at the moment, which is awful! Trying to finish Nanowrimo and the sketchbook project, got a craft fair coming up next weekend which I need to paint a load of bags and t shirts for and then I start my new job on the 3rd December. I need the money and the hours fit perfectly around the kids being at school (I got the lunchtime chef shift), but when I got the job offer I was thinking in the back of my mind, "But! My 'to read' pile is huge!!" :lol:

John Blaze
11-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Mo, Tales Of Dunk And Egg is a series of novellas written by GRRM, based in the ASOIAF universe, 100 years ago. You remember Maester Aemon mentioning his brother Aegon? Well that's the egg they're talking about. The series is about a Hedge Knight who ends up with a tagalong squire who ends up being a prince, and their adventures. Knowing that you're about done with the ASOIAF series, I thought I'd help you extend your stay in Westeros. You'll catch alot of references to the series in there too.

boq
11-26-2010, 08:21 AM
I started reading the entire Harry Potter series (and watching each movie after reading each book) at the insistence of a good friend a few months ago... all in preparation for The Deathly Hallows movie.
I found the first two books quite hard going... perhaps because I'm in my 40's and they're aimed at a more juvenile market. I persisted however and soon found myself wrapped up in that magical world of spells, wands, broomsticks, potions and of course that eternal battle between good and evil.
It's hard to believe I could become as attached to a group of fictional characters as I did with Harry and co. I thought only The Dark Tower had the power to do this to me... and maybe The Lord of the Rings.
It became so absorbing that I've been kinda absent from here for a while>< . I've not become so obsessed as to have joined any Potter sites though. Only you guys can do that to me :P
As a whole though I'd recommend Rowling's series; if you've got the time to commit to such a long tale, and the patience to make it through the first couple of 'young' books.
Good to be back here though. What's happening with "The Wind Through the Keyhole"?

jhanic
11-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Boq, I'm at least 20 years older than you, but I really enjoy the entire Harry Potter series. I didn't have too much trouble getting into the first two or three books (maybe because I volunteer as a tutor for first grade reading at one of our urban schools) but I've continued to read and reread the books. The writing of the books isn't the best, but the story...

John

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Mo, Tales Of Dunk And Egg is a series of novellas written by GRRM, based in the ASOIAF universe, 100 years ago. You remember Maester Aemon mentioning his brother Aegon? Well that's the egg they're talking about. The series is about a Hedge Knight who ends up with a tagalong squire who ends up being a prince, and their adventures. Knowing that you're about done with the ASOIAF series, I thought I'd help you extend your stay in Westeros. You'll catch alot of references to the series in there too.

Thanks! I'll for sure check that out. I'm interested

Brice
11-26-2010, 06:37 PM
I've been sprinkling in some Phillip K. Dick short stories when I'm not on the bike reading ASoIaF. Very interesting and thought provoking

So...you are a big fan of dick?

:lol:

He was a brilliant writer. I haven't found a story by him I didn't like.

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Yes and yes :P

Brice
11-27-2010, 10:09 AM
:lol:

blavigne
11-27-2010, 12:44 PM
re-reading TALISMAN

Me too.

I just finished TDT, yeah I know I'm about a MILLION years behind, about two months ago. I also have been listening to it on audio and am currently up to SOS as I only listen in my car so it is taking a lot longer than reading did.

I have to break out of this DT (Roland) obsession I am in. I want to re-read right away but, I decided to try the Talisman and Black House again instead. It's been about twenty years so it's a whole new experience.

haunted.lunchbox
11-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Has anyone else heard of the Ravenloft series? I used to love it as a teen! I don't think it did well because it didn't tend to have happy endings, but it took place in the village of Ravenloft where the sun never shined, and there was a lot of gloom and doom. I miss it and want to revisit it.

John Blaze
11-28-2010, 07:28 PM
LOTR reread, The Fellowship of the Ring right now. :)

pathoftheturtle
11-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Has anyone else heard of the Ravenloft series? I used to love it as a teen! I don't think it did well because it didn't tend to have happy endings, but it took place in the village of Ravenloft where the sun never shined, and there was a lot of gloom and doom. I miss it and want to revisit it.That's so weird. I've been thinking about Ravenloft recently, as well.

haunted.lunchbox
11-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Maybe it's a sign.

OchrisO
11-28-2010, 10:13 PM
I love the Ravenloft books. I still have a bunch of them somewhere. The D&D stuff they were based on was pretty awesome too.
There wasn't a village called Ravenloft, though, as far as I remember. Ravenloft was the whole world that pulled people from other worlds into it(also known as the Demiplane of Dread). There was a Castle Ravenloft, where Strahd ruled from, which may be what you remember. Only a few stories were set there, though, mostly the Strahd ones. The book called Vampire of the Mists, which was about the vampire Strahd von Zarovich, was set in an area of that world called Barovia, which is where Castle Ravenloft is located.
[ /end D&D uber-nerdism ]

My favorite of the Ravenloft books is probably Knight of the Black Rose, because I already loved Lord Soth from the Dragonlance books.

Some of the books were interesting re-imagining of classic stories, like Mordenheim, which was a Frakenstein-like story and The Enemy Within, which was a Jekyll and Hyde type story.
I was always very fond of the Vistani in Ravenloft.

Here is a list of all of them if anyone wanted to look for them. Some of them aren't numbered in the list because they were short story collections and such.

1. Vampire of the Mists (1991) by Christie Golden
2. Knight of the Black Rose (1991) by James Lowder
3. Dance of the Dead (1992) by Christie Golden
4. Heart of Midnight (1992) by J Robert King
5. Tapestry of Dark Souls (1993) by Elaine Bergstrom
6. Carnival of Fear (1993) by J Robert King
Castles Forlorn (1993) by Lisa Smedman
7. The Enemy Within (1994) by Christie Golden
9. Mordenheim (1994) by Chet Williamson
Adam's Wrath (1994) by Lisa Smedman
When Black Roses Blooms (1994) by Lisa Smedman
Awakening (1994) by Lisa Smedman
9. Tower of Doom (1994) by Mark Anthony
10. Baroness of Blood (1995) by Elaine Bergstrom
11. Death of a Darklord (1995) by Laurell K Hamilton
Chilling Tales (1995) by Lisa Smedman
12. Scholar of Decay (1995) by Tanya Huff
13. King of the Dead (1996) by Gene DeWeese
Death Ascendant (1996) by Lisa Smedman
Death Unchained (1996) by Lisa Smedman
14. To Sleep with Evil (1996) by Andria Cardarelle
Tales of Ravenloft (1997) by Brian M Thomsen
15. Lord of the Necropolis (1997) by Gene DeWeese
16. Shadowborn (1998 ) by Carrie A Bebris and William W Connors
Vecna Reborn (1998 ) by Monte Cook
17. Spectre of the Black Rose (1999) by James Lowder and Voronica Whitney-Robinson

haunted.lunchbox
11-29-2010, 06:03 AM
I'm guessing you are right on this Chris because I haven't even seen a Ravenloft book in over 7 years, sad face. I vaguely remember the vampire, I definitely remember the Tapestry of Dark Souls. I really want to get all of these books! Thank you for your help.

fernandito
11-29-2010, 08:35 AM
Starting Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle soon. It's only my second V book , having completed Sirens of Titan earlier last year, which I loved. :D

OchrisO
11-29-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm guessing you are right on this Chris because I haven't even seen a Ravenloft book in over 7 years, sad face. I vaguely remember the vampire, I definitely remember the Tapestry of Dark Souls. I really want to get all of these books! Thank you for your help.

You're welcome. :)

I still break out the books I do have from time to time and try to get frieds to read them, but it is kind of hard to get average readers to take anything with Dungeons & Dragons plastered across the top seriously. :(

haunted.lunchbox
11-29-2010, 12:52 PM
The whole premise of the series was what drew me in. It's been so long since I've read them, but I think about them more than many of the other books I've read. Too bad they are so hard to find.

Erin
11-30-2010, 08:14 AM
I finished Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin last night. I absolutely adored this book and was glued to it the entire time. It felt like a perfect mix between Stephen King and Mark Twain.

fernandito
11-30-2010, 08:39 AM
I finished Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin last night. I absolutely adored this book and was glued to it the entire time. It felt like a perfect mix between Stephen King and Mark Twain.

Oh fuck yes :wub:

Isn't it an amazing novel ? I especially loved the ending.

Erin
11-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Same here, I think it ended perfectly, especially what Abner whispered to Joshua while he was holding out the bottle of drink while Joshua was staring at his wrist.

I really loved Abner as a character.

John Blaze
11-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Yes, he rocks. I like the part where Joshua and Julian square off for the last. :D

Erin
11-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Totally cool. The whole book was a great take on vampires. I can't wait to read the rest of GRRM's stuff. I think I'm going to try Dying of the Light soon.

As for right now, I started On The Beach by Nevil Shute. I'm a huge fan of post-apocalyptic fiction and this is considered one of the "classics" from that genre that I've never read before.

John Blaze
11-30-2010, 01:55 PM
I like a bunch of his short stories too. Dreamsongs II has one called The Skin Trade, and it's very good.

Ricky
11-30-2010, 02:01 PM
I need a new book to start after I finish FDNS and after hearing 103948 good things about it on here, I'm considering Fevre Dream. It's either that or Swan Song. Any thoughts one way or the other?

fernandito
11-30-2010, 02:06 PM
I need a new book to start after I finish FDNS and after hearing 103948 good things about it on here, I'm considering Fevre Dream. It's either that or Swan Song. Any thoughts one way or the other?

Can't vouch for Swan Song as I haven't read it, BUT - Fevre Dream is one of my all time favorite books. It's an illustrious tale of the devastation of realization that you might never reach your goals/dreams, the power of friendship, the need of kinship, all stringed together by the mysticism of vampire lore. It's a bit bleak in certain aspects, but the the narratives power propels it along. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Erin
11-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Damn, Feev. You need a job writing blurbs on the backs of books. :lol: That was an awesomely good summary.

Ricky, read Fevre Dream first! But I'm only saying that because I just downloaded Swan Song to my Kindle last night and plan on starting it after I finish the book I'm currently on. Then we can both read it around the same time and talk about it. :D I've heard fabulous things about Swan Song, with many people saying it's better than The Stand. :O

John Blaze
11-30-2010, 02:47 PM
wtf is is Swan Song?

Erin
11-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Boom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan_Song_%28novel%29

But if you don't feel like reading that, it's a long, epic, sprawling post-apocalyptic novel that follows the survivors after a nuclear war. It gets compared to The Stand a lot for it's length, subject matter and large list of complex, in-depth characters. The "bad guy" in it is an incarnation of the devil called The Man With Many Faces and is sometimes compared to Randall Flagg.

John Blaze
11-30-2010, 03:31 PM
added to the list. I think I'll bump it up the queue also. :D Currently rereading LOTR, so when I'm done I'll read that. Well, after I finish the Hood books.

kluker
11-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Reading The Stand currently

haunted.lunchbox
11-30-2010, 03:42 PM

One of his best!

Merlin1958
11-30-2010, 04:24 PM

Way to go, dude!!! In anticipation of my new display case for my LOTR 2nd edition books, I have been re-reading the LOTR as well!!! Just finished FD/NS and am on Fellowship. Cool beans!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got my 2nd edition "The Hobbit" awesome book. Check my collection thread for pics!!!!!!

haunted.lunchbox
11-30-2010, 05:45 PM

Way to go, dude!!! In anticipation of my new display case for my LOTR 2nd edition books, I have been re-reading the LOTR as well!!! Just finished FD/NS and am on Fellowship. Cool beans!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got my 2nd edition "The Hobbit" awesome book. Check my collection thread for pics!!!!!!

I have to say this but I tried to read LOTR and had a horrible time. I read The Hobbit in its entirety and had to quit. It's not that the story was bad, it's that I am not good at reading things written in a different era. For example, I have a horrible time with Shakespeare and things that sound whimsical. I just don't have the vocabulary or patience.

jhanic
11-30-2010, 07:07 PM
McCammon's Swan Song is pretty good. It's done in the manner of The Stand, so it's an "epic/quest" type book. I just finished a reread a month or so ago, so it's still pretty fresh in my memeory. If The Stand isn't your "cup of tea", go with Fevre Dream. I haven't read that one for a while, so I may pick it up soon.

John

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-01-2010, 08:42 AM

My favorite King book!

I'm gonna be that person so plug your ears. I prefer the movie to the books. I know shame on me, but his writing style just is super ugh. Dont get me wrong the story is fantastic, but the journey of his writing and reading the book is not pleasurable for me at all. Its a hard read

I have to say this but I tried to read LOTR and had a horrible time. I read The Hobbit in its entirety and had to quit. It's not that the story was bad, it's that I am not good at reading things written in a different era. For example, I have a horrible time with Shakespeare and things that sound whimsical. I just don't have the vocabulary or patience.

I'm in the same boat

Candice Dionysus
12-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Reading One Flew Over the Cockoo's Nest, and rereading Red Dragon.

fernandito
12-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Cat's Cradle is as awesome as Sirens of Titan, perhaps even more so. I definitely need to seek out more Vonnegut books after I finish this.

Candice Dionysus
12-01-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm gonna be that person so plug your ears. I prefer the movie to the books. I know shame on me, but his writing style just is super ugh. Dont get me wrong the story is fantastic, but the journey of his writing and reading the book is not pleasurable for me at all. Its a hard read

My initial reaction is to wonder how big an age gap there is between us, and second is to wonder if English is your native language or not.
Only because I'm 22, grew up speaking English, and definitely preferred the books over the movies. I had no trouble with Tolkien's writing style what-so-ever when I read through those books (a few different times), and I love reading things written long before I was born.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-01-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm 31 and speak no other language than English. I know my location says Peru, but thats because FB refuses to acknowledge Pacifica, CA as a location in the entire world. I just found it boring in between the action. Great middle earth is a character, but its a boring character and enough with the longs ass songs and poems. Could be my attention span is shit, but I read The Hobbit with no problem

jhanic
12-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Rereading Duma Key. I'd forgotten just how good that book is!

John

ManOfWesternesse
12-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Full Dark No Stars - 1922.

fernandito
12-02-2010, 09:39 AM

Jhanic, always the jokester ! :P

OchrisO
12-02-2010, 11:43 AM
I just finished Side Jobs by Jim Butcher. Now I am reading Star Wars The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance by Sean Williams.

Ricky
12-02-2010, 02:29 PM

Jhanic, always the jokester ! :P

Hey Jr., some of us liked Duma Key. :P

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Yup, count me in the handful!

fernandito
12-02-2010, 06:41 PM

I'm gonna mod-queue your ass :P

jhanic
12-02-2010, 07:04 PM
I wasn't kidding--I really like Duma Key.

John

blavigne
12-02-2010, 07:14 PM
I wasn't kidding--I really like Duma Key.

John

Me too :)

Erin
12-02-2010, 07:22 PM
I loved Duma Key!

John Blaze
12-02-2010, 08:50 PM
From his "newer" books, it's the only one I really like. I thought Cell and UTD sucked monkey balls.

Yaksha
12-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Damn you Feev, now i have to start reading Game of Thrones

Merlin1958
12-03-2010, 01:29 AM
Just finished FD/NS and I generally liked it ("fair Extension limped a little at the end). Maybe its just cause I recently re-read "Legion" by Blatty, but I got a real "Kinderman" hit off "Holt" the detective in "Good Marriage" in a vary good way. Sort of a "homage" I thought.

Now to the next book!!!! LOTR (Fellowship) full-time!!!

fernandito
12-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Damn you Feev, now i have to start reading Game of Thrones

DO IT ! It's one of the most compelling high-fantasy series, certainly the most well rounded. If Martin is able to keep the momentum going forward and if the final novels are as fleshed out and intriguing as the ones released thus far, then this could be nothing short of a masterpiece in the making.

alinda
12-03-2010, 07:46 AM
This thread....:wtf:

pathoftheturtle
12-03-2010, 08:02 AM

My favorite King book!

I'm in the same boatThe writing is the best part for me. I love that kind of style, but I've honestly never been all that impressed with the LOTR story. In the end, I'd rather read Shakespeare. Guess that's just the way I roll... not everybody has the same interests.

I did like Jackson's films, though, to a degree. Better than I expected, anyway.

Ricky
12-03-2010, 08:28 AM

I'm gonna mod-queue your ass :P

Yeah? Well...

Your tribe has spoken.

You are the Weakest Link.

You have been evicted from the Big Brother household.

Auf Wiedersehen!

alkanto
12-03-2010, 10:32 AM
The Glamour Chase - Gary Russell, part of the Doctor Who novel series. It's going to be a very quick read, I can tell, but it's good. It's enough to keep me at bay until Christmas, anyways, for new Who stuff.

Merlin1958
12-03-2010, 02:46 PM

My favorite King book!

I'm in the same boatThe writing is the best part for me. I love that kind of style, but I've honestly never been all that impressed with the LOTR story. In the end, I'd rather read Shakespeare. Guess that's just the way I roll... not everybody has the same interests.

I did like Jackson's films, though, to a degree. Better than I expected, anyway.

I never had a problem with Tolkien's writing, although I just skipped a lot of the "Songs". I have always enjoyed the Bard and the way you have to almost decipher the writing. They utilized the english language to it's fullest back in the day and in a way its refreshing.

So "Sing, song" if ya kennit

pathoftheturtle
12-03-2010, 03:07 PM
They utilized the english language to it's fullest back in the day and in a way its refreshing.Yea, verily, 'tis so.

Brice
12-04-2010, 07:43 AM
I'm currently reading Xelucha And Others by M. P. Shiel.

Ruthful
12-05-2010, 12:04 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ahpVuSM-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

OchrisO
12-05-2010, 05:24 PM
I am reading this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51N33PN3RQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It doesn't have an author attached to it, but a guy who is called Mac, or sometimes Mac Evasion wrote it. It is published by CrimethInc and can be reproduced by anyone except corporations in any form without permission.

"Evasion catalogs the travels and exploits of a straight-edge vegan young man who decided to not get a job or go to school after high school, despite his parents' wishes. The author decides that he does not want to spend his life and freedom working at a job he will despise, to produce revenue for a corporation, and so steps outside the boundaries of a traditional role in society."

"Evasion indirectly catalogs the excesses of American society by displaying, through the narrator's actions, how one can successfully (and to abundance) live off of the discards and surplus of others – both personal and commercial. The narrator does not subsist on surplus produce entirely, however, but also appropriates resources from businesses, exemplified by shoplifting compact disks from stores. The author often pauses his stories to include a tidbit of political theory, or to explain how he justifies a particular action. In essence, the work is a testament to the waste of modern civilization and the degree of racial, sexual, and class privilege that play into the author's experience."

It is a pretty good read, in my opinion.

AlishaRiley
12-06-2010, 07:10 AM
As of yesterday:
http://i54.tinypic.com/23sdieh.jpg

Ricky
12-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Currently reading Let The Right One In.

alkanto
12-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Wheel of Time Book 4: The Shadow Rising

Ruthful
12-07-2010, 12:05 AM
http://chuckpalahniuk.net/files/images/books/tell-all-med.jpg

Emily
12-09-2010, 07:37 PM
I just finished A Clash of Kings and am about to start A Storm of Swords. ACoK(hahahaha) was awesome. So far I have gotten 2 out of 3 brothers to start this series, and brother#3 is going to start when he's done travelling for work. I can't get over how good these books are, honestly. I'm trying to read them more slowly than I normally read books so that I get the most out of them, but they're so awesome it's hard not to fly through them. Good stuff.

OchrisO
12-09-2010, 07:41 PM
I just finished A Clash of Kings and am about to start A Storm of Swords. ACoK(hahahaha) was awesome. So far I have gotten 2 out of 3 brothers to start this series, and brother#3 is going to start when he's done travelling for work. I can't get over how good these books are, honestly. I'm trying to read them more slowly than I normally read books so that I get the most out of them, but they're so awesome it's hard not to fly through them. Good stuff.

:clap:

Such good books. I really need to re-read them sometime soon. It has been a while.

Have you have trouble keeping up with the giant heap of characters? I ended up listening to them in audio book form and it was much easier with there being distinct voiced for each person. I still had to wiki a person now and then, though.

Emily
12-09-2010, 07:48 PM
I have a little trouble with the random knights and Kingsguard guys. Sometimes I have to go back and figure it out. My brother and I are reading them sorta at the same pace, and usually one of us remembers who someone is, so being able to ask eachother helps. I am amazed at how many characters there are though. It's pretty incredible.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Full Dark No Stars

....finally

Erin
12-10-2010, 07:42 AM

Hooray! Best book series ever! When you're all caught up, venture on into the A Song of Ice and Fire thread here and see what different theories and suble hints GRRM puts into the story that you may have caught or missed. I loved the books the first time I read them, but then once I read about all the subtle things and read a bunch of different theories, it took it to a whole new level. :D

fernandito
12-10-2010, 08:14 AM
I really want to delve into the ASOIAF-Message board(s) , but I already visit too many as it is. I don't know if I have the time/energy to start perusing another mb.

I say that now, but watch me have like 5,000 posts by the end of next months :lol:

For my own morbid curiosity - what's everyone's SN's over in Westeros ? :innocent:

Emily
12-10-2010, 10:38 AM

Hooray! Best book series ever! When you're all caught up, venture on into the A Song of Ice and Fire thread here and see what different theories and suble hints GRRM puts into the story that you may have caught or missed. I loved the books the first time I read them, but then once I read about all the subtle things and read a bunch of different theories, it took it to a whole new level. :D

I can't wait to be able to attack that thread. I've been trying so hard not to go into it too much, but everytime I sign in it's taunting me on the first page of Unread Posts :lol:

John Blaze
12-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Fevre Dream. Mys ister's had my copy for ages, and she couldn't find it, so I rebought it to reread. :D I kick ass.

Nerak
12-10-2010, 10:53 AM
on a re-read of all seven Narnia books! WOOT WOOT! Have already been through The Dark Tower, Harry Potter and Twilight this year.

haunted.lunchbox
12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
on a re-read of all seven Narnia books! WOOT WOOT! Have already been through The Dark Tower, Harry Potter and Twilight this year.

Wow, I feel very unambitious.

Erin
12-10-2010, 11:03 AM

I can't wait to be able to attack that thread. I've been trying so hard not to go into it too much, but everytime I sign in it's taunting me on the first page of Unread Posts :lol:

:rofl: Me, bethany, John Blaze, Yeah Sure Whatever, Feev and Chris pretty much solely keep that thread going. It will be nice to have someone new join the group!

Ricky
12-10-2010, 12:17 PM

Wow! You're on a series kick. :lol:

I've only read TLWW of the Narnia series. How are the rest of them?

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I tried to read the Narnia books, but they were just too juvenile and I was tired of getting hit with the religion stick. More power to you Karen, but for me I just couldnt stomach it. Harry felt the same way

John Blaze
12-10-2010, 01:29 PM
I hear that alot, but I never even realized they were religious until I was told this was so. I don't get where people say they are heavy on religion, besides the fact that Aslan is a god. Would you say that the ASOIAF series, with all its talk about The Seven and the Red God and the Stranger, religious?

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-10-2010, 01:30 PM
No

John Blaze
12-10-2010, 01:47 PM
:orely:

Bethany
12-10-2010, 01:52 PM
I hear that alot, but I never even realized they were religious until I was told this was so. I don't get where people say they are heavy on religion, besides the fact that Aslan is a god. Would you say that the ASOIAF series, with all its talk about The Seven and the Red God and the Stranger, religious?

I used to know all the symbolism about Narnia. All I remember is that Aslan is Jesus because he sacrificed himself.

fernandito
12-10-2010, 02:12 PM
And then he resurrected from the dead. Not difficult to see how the religious comparisons came about ...

Ricky
12-10-2010, 02:48 PM
EXCEPT for the fact that Aslan is a flying lion. Don't forget that point. :lol:

fernandito
12-10-2010, 02:59 PM
What ? Jesus can fly too. He just chooses not to because it'll ruin his beautiful Herbal Essence hair. :)

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-10-2010, 06:18 PM
:orely:

The Narnia books were trying to tell the bible stories with different characters, while ASOIAF has its own religious aspects but its made up with its own mythology.

Make sense?

John Blaze
12-10-2010, 07:04 PM
I got you. And I get the Jesus comparisons, and I know CS Lewis intended it to help teach children about Christianity, but besides the parallels I don't see how it's shoving Jesus down your throat. It's a great story, IMO. I've read His Dark Materials also, and I also appreciate the story, and I don't think it's shoving atheism down my throat either, although I've heard it to be described that way also. In the end, if I like a story I'll read it. The only book in recent memory that I started and couldn't finish was Angelology, and I just thought the story sucked, not that it was either pro or anti-religion.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-10-2010, 07:15 PM
I *Hated* His Dark Materials. It had some interesting ideas, but for me was flat out boring

John Blaze
12-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Weird, I liked it. Not like my favorite book or anything, but it's in my personal library. Which has definitely outgrown my house.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-10-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm int he minority when it comes to that set of books, but I wanted to point out that I dislike religious and atheist works alike

John Blaze
12-10-2010, 08:25 PM
You ever read The Vampire Chronicles, Mo?

Ricky
12-11-2010, 08:01 AM
What ? Jesus can fly too. He just chooses not to because it'll ruin his beautiful Herbal Essence hair. :)

When you're in hell, don't come asking me for water. :lol:

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-11-2010, 10:33 AM

No I havent, should I?

mae
12-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Starting Shelby Foote's massive The Civil War. Had gotten the boxed set years ago but feel now is the time to begin it finally.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ca/FooteVols1-3.jpg

Brice
12-11-2010, 12:28 PM

No I havent, should I?

The first three definitely. The next, maybe. After that do yourself a favor and QUIT.

John Blaze
12-11-2010, 03:36 PM
IDK, I'd say the first 5 Definitely, the next at your own risk. Definitely Stop at Blood and Gold, after that it just gets stupid.

Emily
12-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Starting Shelby Foote's massive The Civil War. Had gotten the boxed set years ago but feel now is the time to begin it finally.

We have these, and my Dad loves them. The Civil War doesn't exactly thrill me, but I do enjoy Shelby Foote's commentary in the Ken Burns Civil War tapes.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-11-2010, 06:22 PM
IDK, I'd say the first 5 Definitely, the next at your own risk. Definitely Stop at Blood and Gold, after that it just gets stupid.

What made you think of that series?

mae
12-11-2010, 06:42 PM

We have these, and my Dad loves them. The Civil War doesn't exactly thrill me, but I do enjoy Shelby Foote's commentary in the Ken Burns Civil War tapes.

Check them out, these books are like an epic novel.

ErinPatricia
12-11-2010, 06:54 PM
The Living Dead 2
I loved the first collection and was a very happy camper to pick this up

John Blaze
12-11-2010, 09:08 PM
just thought you'd like it. I did, until the later books.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Oh thanks! I thought you thought of it because of something we were talking about haha

John Blaze
12-11-2010, 11:40 PM
well actually idk exactly how my train of thought works, but there's some religion in book 5 that's a novel take on christianity.

Bethany
12-11-2010, 11:45 PM
That's why I thought you brought up that series.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-12-2010, 12:40 AM
well actually idk exactly how my train of thought works, but there's some religion in book 5 that's a novel take on christianity.

Color me interested

pathoftheturtle
12-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Oh, it was all about religion from the very beginning, just more subtle to begin with. You know the band Savage Garden took their name from one of the passages in volume 2?

Memnoch the Devil is certainly interesting, but its take is not entirely novel: it blends some theological interpretations which have actually been around for a long time.

John Blaze
12-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Well they were new to ME, smartass. <_<

:P

Erin
12-13-2010, 09:08 AM
I finished On The Beach last night. It took me awhile because I paused halfway through it and read a book about the people living in the flood tunnels under the Las Vegas strip (which was super interesting). Anyhoo, back to On The Beach, it was a really interesting book, but really would have worked better I think as a short story. It just drug way to much in the middle. However, the end was amazing when they detailed how everyone decided to die. I totally cried like a baby.

fernandito
12-13-2010, 11:08 AM
My boss just lend me a book titled The Passage by Justin Cronin. I Wikipedia'd the premise and it sounds interesting. It has a heavily positive review by King on the foreword, so I have high hopes for it. Has anyone read it ?

turtlex
12-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Feev - there's a whole discussion of it over in Calvins. A bunch of folks have gone to readings and got autographed copies.... seems they really enjoyed it.

Ruthful
12-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Have that on my bookshelf, but haven't gotten around to breaking them open just yet.

Ruthful
12-13-2010, 03:42 PM
http://www.profilebooks.com/images/titles/t576.jpg

pixiedark76
12-13-2010, 03:43 PM
I am re-reading The Passage by Justin Cronin! It is such an awesome book I just can't put it down.

alkanto
12-13-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm making a little bit of progress on my "Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes" book. I've had in since this time last year, but re-watching BBC's Sherlock got me in the mood....I've gotten through about a third of it now. My God, but was Sir Arthur Conon Doyle a prolific writer! There's just a lot to get through...

Erin
12-13-2010, 04:08 PM
I started Swan Song by Robert McCammon last night.

mae
12-13-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm making a little bit of progress on my "Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes" book. I've had in since this time last year, but re-watching BBC's Sherlock got me in the mood....I've gotten through about a third of it now. My God, but was Sir Arthur Conon Doyle a prolific writer! There's just a lot to get through...

I have The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes in three volumes. It's an amazing set.

DoctorDodge
12-13-2010, 05:12 PM
I've also got a complete volume of his work, when I stumbled upon a really nice looking hardcover for 15 quid that contains full colour illustrations from The Strand magazine the stories were originally printed in. I've only read a few stories, but yeah, ACD certainly wrote a lot. It's also amazing to think how influential his stories were. Hell, The Final Problem has to be one of the earliest examples of a Superhero Death there's ever been! (Well, apart from Jesus, of course.) And this was before superhero comics were even around!

Ricky
12-13-2010, 05:43 PM
My boss just lend me a book titled The Passage by Justin Cronin. I Wikipedia'd the premise and it sounds interesting. It has a heavily positive review by King on the foreword, so I have high hopes for it. Has anyone read it ?

I read it awhile ago; the best book that I've read in a long time. I think you'll really enjoy it if you like vampires and a post-apocalyptic setting.

Erin
12-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Vampires? Post-apocalyptic setting? I'm so there.

*adds to Christmas list*

Ricky
12-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Tell me about it. It's just fantastic. If I were to ask someone to write a book for me, this would be it.

Oh, and how's Swan Song? I put it on my Christmas list and am curious as to how the plot's moving.

Erin
12-14-2010, 08:26 AM
I'm only about 40 pages in so far, but it's obviously building up tension and following characters prior to the nuclear war at this point. I'll let you know once I get a bit further in how it's going!

ErinPatricia
12-14-2010, 08:50 AM
I read Swan Song and really liked it. It's been a while though so I need to go looking for a new copy.
Picked up Wolves of the Calla on my DT re-read. Alternating between that and The Living Dead 2 anthology

jhanic
12-14-2010, 09:42 AM
I enjoyed The Passage, but it's the first book of a trilogy, so I DON'T like the wait!

John

Brice
12-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Immoral Tales: European Sex & Horror Movies 1956-1984 by Cathal Tohil & Pete Tombs

ManOfWesternesse
12-14-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm on a slightly prolonged DT re-read these days. Read DT 1 to 5, then paused it to read the new Wheel of Time Book + King's Full Dark, no Stars. Now reading DT6, but boughr the new Stephen Donaldson book today (Against All Things Ending) so i'll read that next - then on to DT7.

OchrisO
12-14-2010, 08:03 PM
I am on Wolves of tha Calla on my re-read. I had almost forgotten how much I love Father Callahan.

ErinPatricia
12-14-2010, 08:32 PM
I am on Wolves of tha Calla on my re-read. I had almost forgotten how much I love Father Callahan.

This.

OchrisO
12-14-2010, 08:36 PM

This.

That speech at the first town meeting where he starts by telling them that all their excuses are chicken shit gets me every time.

I'm always like, "Fuck Yeah, Father Callahan!"

kluker
12-14-2010, 10:23 PM
I want a book seires to read (and please do not tell me Song of Fire and Ice) I read books way to fast for my own good. Also does anyone know any good children books?

OchrisO
12-14-2010, 10:33 PM
I want a book seires to read (and please do not tell me Song of Fire and Ice) I read books way to fast for my own good. Also does anyone know any good children books?

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, if you haven't read those. They are always my first recommendation these days when people want series recommendations.

There are 12 books out now, plus a book of short stories and another book on the way.

kluker
12-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Thank i'll look for that series next time i'm at the libary

lordmerchant
12-15-2010, 03:57 PM
I just finished Black House today - which I thought was great (not as good as talisman - but still great) and seen my gf had a copy of The Northern Lights - I picked it up for a scan through and got about 6 chapters in...fantastic so far

Ruthful
12-15-2010, 06:29 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yGpz3Q5FBj8/TNE2t2UFQbI/AAAAAAAAHIE/p2tb0wPunzw/s400/gray.jpeg

John Blaze
12-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Starting the Otherland series tomorrow. Anyone out there read it before?

Erin
12-16-2010, 10:15 AM
I haven't read it, JB, but I recently bought the first book and it's on my "To Read Soon" list. I totally dig what I've read about the premise, though. It sounds awesome.

fernandito
12-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Otherland series ?

/wikipedia.com

LadyHitchhiker
12-16-2010, 12:49 PM
I am currently reading "John Dies at the End" by David Wong. They said it's like Douglas Adams meeting Stephen King. I will reserve judgement. Just read "Agent to the Stars" by John Scalzi and I loved it!!!!

Erin
12-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Ooops, I thought JB said the Outlander series when I first looked at his post. I don't know what the Otherland series is.

Liz - John Dies at the End is AMAZING. But really, really weird. It's like the best, strangest book I've ever read. The author is working on a sequel and I can't flipping wait.

John Blaze
12-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Otherland Series by Tad Williams, if you all wanna look it up. Didn't start it today, but I'll start it soon.

Brice
12-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Heather: Buy the book I listed last and read it immediately.

fernandito
12-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Don't listen to him Heather, he's a crazy man.

jhanic
12-18-2010, 10:03 AM
I just picked up Tom Clancy's newest Jack Ryan book: Dead or Alive. I've loved most of the Jack Ryan novels, so I've got some high hopes for this one, even though it's written "with Grant Blackwood".

John

Brice
12-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Don't listen to him Heather, he's a crazy man.

I'm sure Heather trusts my tastes in horror. :D ...crazy or not.

pathoftheturtle
12-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Starting the Otherland series tomorrow. Anyone out there read it before?Yeah. It's not bad.

LadyHitchhiker
12-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Finished reading John Dies at the end
Finished reading Curious incident of the dog in the night-time

I liked both... :)

Now reading

Rediscovering Catholicism - I think that's the title
Shattered Light - a star trek book
And the new Jim Butcher book... the one with short stories.

Sorry I read more than one book at a time usually.

Erin
12-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Liz, wasn't John Dies At The End pretty much the strangest thing you've ever read? I have no way of even explaining what that book is about when people ask me. But it's great.

Emily
12-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Halfway through A Storm of Swords right now. If someone had told me 2 books ago that I would start to like Jaime Lannister, I'd have slapped them. These books are unbelievable.

fernandito
12-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Halfway through A Storm of Swords right now. If someone had told me 2 books ago that I would start to like Jaime Lannister, I'd have slapped them. These books are unbelievable.

Glad to see you're enjoying them ! Naturally, I'll be expecting to see you posting in the ASOIAF a lot more often :fairy:

Emily
12-21-2010, 02:13 PM
I definitely will start! I ventured in once and had something spoiled for me (naturally), so I've decided to wait til I'm done with Feast for Crows to head back in. I think I've said this already, but it takes all my will power not to go back in there! :lol:

John Blaze
12-21-2010, 03:10 PM
:thumbsup:

haunted.lunchbox
12-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Book that I'm not currently reading but would like to read:

Sold by Patricia McCormick. It's about a young girl who is sold at a very young age into prostitution. It is a vile subject, but I've always wanted a 'glimpse' into the mind of someone who had to live with this horrible betrayal from their family and society.

RainInSpain
12-22-2010, 04:15 AM
Currently on my umpteenth re-read of "Les Liaisons Dangereuses" by Choderlos de Laclos.
In addition to simply being an interesting read, it's such a good portrayal of the evil, spiteful and scheming side of human nature.

Ruthful
12-24-2010, 07:26 PM
http://www.longitudebooks.com/images/book_large/JPN20.jpg

Erin
12-24-2010, 09:05 PM

Yay!!! About the Jamie thing, my husband knows from me talking about the series so much that Jamie is one of my favorite characters in the series. We recently started listening to A Game of Thrones on audiobook and he can't fathom how on Earth I can like Jamie Lannister. :lol: I just keep telling him to wait and see.

fernandito
12-25-2010, 06:04 AM
:D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg/200px-World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg

cody44
12-27-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm reading A Game of Thrones. I'm also on the second hardback of The Walking Dead.

haunted.lunchbox
12-27-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm reading A Game of Thrones. I'm also on the second hardback of The Walking Dead.

I am also reading GOT.

Ruthful
12-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Great book!

haunted.lunchbox
12-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Oh I am so mad! In previous post OCHRISO and his glorious nutsack discussed some of the Ravenloft series, and he was very helpful in providing all the titles for me. I was all excited about getting a kindle and collecting the collection on said electronic device; however, they are unavailable on kindle! So D&B. They would be what I would currently read if I could.

mae
12-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Come March I'll be reading this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zbH9AzHZL.jpg

Ruthful
12-29-2010, 06:58 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0679640509.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Erin
12-29-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm about half-way through Swan Song right now and oh man, is this one brutal book.

OchrisO
12-29-2010, 11:45 PM
The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper

Ricky
12-30-2010, 07:42 AM
I'm about half-way through Swan Song right now and oh man, is this one brutal book.

Awesome! I got it for Christmas so I'm excited to read it.

boq
12-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Wow, I remember reading and enjoying Swan Song years ago. That's McCammon, right? Haven't read his stuff in an age.
I'm progressing well on my 4th attempt at reading Vernor Vinge's "A Deepness in the Sky". I MUST finish this book as it's a loose prequel to his book "A Fire Upon the Deep", a science-fiction adventure I can never recommend highly enough. The next installment, "The Children of the Sky" is due out next year, and I'm expecting it to be knockout amazing!

fernandito
12-30-2010, 09:12 AM
I just googled Swan Song, man that sounds awesome. I might have to pick it up sometime soon.

Ruthful
12-30-2010, 06:00 PM
http://www.ralphphillips.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/50years.jpg

Erin
12-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Bog, yep, Swan Song by Robert McCammon. Great book so far. I can't wait to see where it's going.

Feev, I really think you'd like it. It's been a very exciting, shocking, fast-paced read so far.

Brice
01-01-2011, 11:39 AM
In The Mean Time-Paul Tremblay

candy
01-03-2011, 01:52 AM
the percy jackson series

i was reading Talisman, but my dad came over and pinched it (he just finished the dark tower so i think he will get a kick out of it)

fernandito
01-03-2011, 08:52 AM
the percy jackson series

I read the first book and then went cold turkey. I really should get back on that.

kluker
01-03-2011, 08:56 AM
I love the stand but everytime I start to read it I fall asleep :lol:

Bethany
01-03-2011, 09:19 AM
I really, really need something to read. I am so desperate I am about to go raid the romance novel collection in the break room.

Hammer
01-03-2011, 09:32 AM
just started talisman i know it old but i am enjoying it

candy
01-03-2011, 11:14 AM
the percy jackson series

I read the first book and then went cold turkey. I really should get back on that.

I am on book 4, Battle of the Labyrinth. They are ok, you can tell the audience they were written for and i am not using any brain cells to read:wtf:

I also got 2 duplicates for christmas so am taking them back tomorrow. Any recomendations on what to swap them for? somebody told me to try the Dragon tattoo books?

RainInSpain
01-03-2011, 11:18 AM
I liked Millenium series (another name for Dragon tattoo books), so I second that recommendation.

candy
01-03-2011, 11:25 AM
:wtf: i couldn't remember what they were called!! thanks for the recomendation, i should probabley start reading some books that will actually use some brain cells

Emily
01-03-2011, 04:00 PM
I finished A Storm of Swords a couple of days ago and have breezed through half of A Feast for Crows in the past 2 days. It's fantastic. I'm trying to slow down because I know I'm going to be pissed once I'm done and can't read the next one, but it's hard. I have a gift card to Barnes and Noble (friggin' love gift cards for Christmas) and am wondering what to get next. I've been reading good things about Fevre Dream here, and a friend told me she loved it. Decisions, decisions.

alkanto
01-03-2011, 04:13 PM
get Fevre Dream - it's fantastic! GRRM's Wild Card books are good too, if a little bit different than what I'm used to reading from him. The other authors in those are also fun to read.

fernandito
01-03-2011, 04:15 PM
I've been reading good things about Fevre Dream here, and a friend told me she loved it. Decisions, decisions.

It's amazing, trust me. Get it. Right now.

LadyHitchhiker
01-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Recently finished:

Flip This Zombie by Jesse Petersen. (Fun, quick, wonderful, yay!)
Blood and Ice by Robert Masello (it was okay)
Agent of the Stars by John Scalzi (loved it)
Portable Door AND In your Dreams by Tom Holt (loved them!!!)
Fragment by Warren Fahy (excellent!!!!!!!!!)

Now I have a stack of books to muddle through to choose what I'm reading next. Memories by William Shatner (read that AGES ago and completely forgot what it says), or perhaps the new Star Fleet academy book or perhaps finish the book of short stories called Small Favors by Jim Butcher or perhaps finish shattered light or read some of the short stories by Stephen King I never got around to, or any other of quite a few books in my house I have left to read... Muddling...

Liz, wasn't John Dies At The End pretty much the strangest thing you've ever read? I have no way of even explaining what that book is about when people ask me. But it's great.

Pretty dang weird! And for some reason I quite enjoyed it but not as much as some of my other weird books like "agent of the stars". But back to John Dies at the end.. I Especially liked his fake story about the pseudo-author, and how he got his book published.

http://www.longitudebooks.com/images/book_large/JPN20.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg/200px-World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg

Where's the like button? Oh I forget this isn't facespace ;). Love it that you're reading those. Great books!

jhanic
01-05-2011, 04:35 AM
Just finished Tom Clancy's Dead or Alive and beginning Peter Straub's Pork Pie Hat.

John

Ricky
01-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Reading Psycho by Robert Bloch. It's really good so far.

Emily
01-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Just started Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin. I started reading it lastnight at like 2:00am, which was dumb because I was really tired while I was reading it. I'm definitely enjoying it so far though. Also, after reading ASoIaF and starting this, I get the feeling that Martin has an inner passion for boats. :lol: I've never been interested in boats ever, but the way he writes about them makes them interesting to me. I also love the way he writes about food.

fernandito
01-05-2011, 10:15 AM

Where's the like button? Oh I forget this isn't facespace ;). Love it that you're reading those. Great books!

Right here :D

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/youlikethis.jpg

tamez
01-05-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm reading Shane and it's pretty engaging so far. It's always been one of my favorite movies and I got a copy of the novel at work.
I took it home immediately but only just started it a few days ago.

Brice
01-06-2011, 04:45 AM
Rust And Bone-Craig Davidson

ErinPatricia
01-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Lucky Man, Michael J. Fox's autobiography.
I have always loved him, so when I saw this at work I had to grab it.

John Blaze
01-06-2011, 09:16 PM
how is it?

ErinPatricia
01-07-2011, 06:00 PM
so far so good, he seems like a very humble dude

John Blaze
01-08-2011, 12:21 AM
cool. i'll have to put it on my list. I've always liked him, since I was a kid and I saw Teen Wolf. Also loved Spin City.

Also, I'm a hypochondriac and I suspect I have Parkinsons. :(

Brice
01-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Cities Of Night-Philip Nutman

Erin
01-08-2011, 12:05 PM
I finished Swan Song last night. Excellent, excellent book. The second half of the book (after the 7 year gap) was much better to me than the first part (which felt a little too much like The Stand I thought). I really loved the evolution of Swan and Sister's characters and the ending was fantastic. I cried. :)

I was going to start The Passage by Justin Cronin next, but when I finished Swan Song, I was up in bed reading on my Kindle and was too lazy to go downstairs and get The Passage (which I have in regular book form), so I started looking at a bunch of classics I had downloaded for free. I started reading Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I've always wanted to read this book, but never have gotten around to it. So far I'm enjoying it.

Emily
01-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Erin, let me know what you think of Little Women. I generally don't enjoy a lot of books like that, but Little Women is one of my all time favorites.

Erin
01-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Will do! I've wanted to read it for years, I'm glad I finally am!

Bethany
01-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Ooh, now I wanna punch Amy in the face all over again. >.<
Erin, that is one of Annabeth's favorites.

candy
01-09-2011, 09:55 AM
onto the final Jackson Book - The Last Olympian. Also went and bought Girl with the Dragon Tattooo and a book that leapt of the shelves at me 'Gone'

jhanic
01-10-2011, 05:01 AM
A reread of Hell House by Richard Matheson.

John

Patrick
01-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Currently reading THE LONG WALK by Richard Bachman. The last time I read this book was about 19 years ago.

Ruthful
01-11-2011, 01:44 PM
http://www.iwantmedia.com/images/0061992704.jpg

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-11-2011, 01:51 PM
I just started Red Pyramid and I'm having a hard time shifting gears after ASOIAF and a quick jaunt through Sookie 4

Emily
01-11-2011, 02:25 PM

I randomly saw this book at Barnes and Noble once, picked it up and started reading it, and was actually crying with laughter in public. It's hilarious.

jhanic
01-11-2011, 03:14 PM
I finished Hell House and just received my copies of Shivers VI. I'll be reading that now.

John

Brice
01-13-2011, 05:54 AM
Hell House is a great one.

I'm now reading Horror Story And Other Horror Stories by Robert Boyczuk

^^^kind of a redundant title? :unsure:

Erin
01-13-2011, 06:00 AM
Brice, hahaha! That's hilarious.

I finished Little Women...really liked it!

Now I started The Passage last night. So far so good.

blavigne
01-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Just finished The Talisman and started Black House. It's been so long it's like deja vu all over again :)

Ricky
01-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Now I started The Passage last night. So far so good.

You are going to LOVE it. I'm already starting to notice similarities between The Passage and Swan Song.

Ruthful
01-13-2011, 10:47 AM
The Grand Jihad, by Andrew McCarthy.

Thank you Encounter Books for the complimentary copy, as well as the nifty Christmas card!
:thumbsup:

Ruthful
01-13-2011, 10:48 AM

I randomly saw this book at Barnes and Noble once, picked it up and started reading it, and was actually crying with laughter in public. It's hilarious.

Yeah, it's pretty entertaining. He even has a Twitter account.

OchrisO
01-13-2011, 11:40 AM

The twitter account is the origin. The book is just stuff from the twitter account.

Bev Vincent
01-13-2011, 12:19 PM
The Silent Land by Graham Joyce -- impressive novel from one of my favorite authors.

Rice Dancer
01-13-2011, 07:30 PM
"Is God a Mathematician?"

OchrisO
01-13-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm reading The Fall by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.. It is the second book in a trilogy and they are really good books. It is a very interesting take on vampires, and they certainly don't sparkle.

Ruthful
01-13-2011, 09:29 PM

The twitter account is the origin. The book is just stuff from the twitter account.

Oh yeah, I've seen it before. I'm still amazed they haven't cancelled that show with William Shatner. I wonder how long that can last.

Ruthful
01-16-2011, 06:21 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41kzTRTbNFL.jpg

kluker
01-16-2011, 06:46 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/rc2fma.jpg
Julia Hague "You is for Unique"-
a collection of women’s reflections meant to give voice to real women’s feelings about their own body image and self-esteem issues

Roland of Gilead 33
01-16-2011, 07:12 PM
"Wizard & Glass" actually i'm only on chapter 4 i think? on the 1st part. page 62 i believe. so i'm not that far into it.

Erin
01-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Are you reading the series for the first time, Roland?

Wizard and Glass is my favorite book of the series, I hope you enjoy it!

LadyHitchhiker
01-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Just finished reading
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
and
Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah.

Now to read (among many others):
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
and
the Many Minds of Billy Milligan

Roland of Gilead 33
01-16-2011, 09:52 PM
no i'm not New to the series. but i actually haven't read it all the way through, i tried reading it once years ago. & it's that i think i got burned out by "DT" at the time. i may have also read the previous books in a row. & that happens to me sometimes. i read some say harry potter book & after

book for example & i just get burned out. i read the 4th "harry potter" book i think last year or the year before that was one i never had gotten around to finished before. & i finally finished that one. & than i read the 5th one that took me damn near forever & i LOVED that one. it's so far my favorite one.

& i started the 6th one. i read about 60 or so pages of it. 68 i think? than i got burnt out by it. so this time since i just finished "The Waste Lands" last wed. i had picked that one up again. i had read about 160 pages of it. & i had read the 1st two books plus part of the 3rd than i got burnt out

by "DT" so i stopped & just picked it up again around X-mas time. after it actaully X-mas break actually. so i hope i don't get burnt out this time. & actually finish it. i've only read the 1st three books in the series so far. & from what i've read i've loved every minute of it. :)

Ruthful
01-18-2011, 08:40 PM
http://ebooks-imgs.connect.com/product/400/000/000/000/000/174/345/400000000000000174345_s4.jpg

bettinas.ashes
01-18-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm reading Everything's Eventual at present, as well as Robin Furth's Concordance to the Dark Tower.

Myste
01-19-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm reading a collection of stories by H.P. Lovecraft. "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

candy
01-19-2011, 11:20 AM
i am trying to read Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, only got a few pages in, but to be honest its not hooked me. All these facts and figures are driving me mad.

I dont do numbers in my reading!! hope it gets better