PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

John Blaze
07-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Sounds interesting Bev, I put it on my list.

acdckingfan
07-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Iam reading the strain by guillermo del toro and chuck hogan. it is compared to dracula and sk's salems lot. not done yet will let you know.

Daghain
07-07-2010, 07:45 AM
I’m about halfway through The Liar’s Lullaby by Meg Gardiner. A solid thriller. The protagonist performs psychological autopsies in cases of equivocal death–when there isn’t enough evidence to say whether a death is homicide, suicide or natural or accident. The victim in this case is a popular singer who dies during a spectacular entrance at a concert. She also happens to be the president's ex-wife, has a long history of bipolar illness. She also has a deranged stalker and is being used by a white supremacy group to further some members’ bizarre conspiracy theories.

Bloody hell, and I thought I've had tricky jobs! :lol:

Damn, that sounds interesting! I need to add it to my list.

19junkie
07-07-2010, 08:45 AM
i'm in the middle of:
Insomnia
The Stand (second time through)
Storm of the Century
Under the Dome (second time through)
and i just finished Desperation.

Desperation was lacking, but i'm loving Insomnia if not just for it's connection to DT.

John Blaze
07-07-2010, 05:23 PM
You like UTD that much? ::shudders::

arrawyn
07-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Everything's Eventual - SK peters out on the endings sometimes (most?) doesn't he?

John Blaze
07-07-2010, 06:34 PM
I LOVE EE, one of my favorties out of the collections. :P

Daghain
07-07-2010, 09:12 PM
DITTO.

Ruthful
07-08-2010, 12:34 PM
CANARSIE: The Jews and Italians of Brooklyn against Liberalism, by Jonathan Rieder

Girlystevedave
07-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Great Expectations

I am surprised that, as a classic, it is NOT boring me. I'm actually really enjoying it.
I usually don't have high hopes for classic literature. :)

LineofEld
07-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Great Expectations

I am surprised that, as a classic, it is NOT boring me. I'm actually really enjoying it.

The soundtrack from the movie is yummy.

Brice
07-09-2010, 02:43 AM
You ate it? :unsure:

jhanic
07-09-2010, 04:34 AM
Great Expectations

That's often the reason they become classics. The problem is that our educational system takes all the "fun" out of them.

John

divemaster
07-09-2010, 04:43 AM
Yeah, I've heard Great Expectations described several ways, but never as boring. This particular work was published serially in a magazine, so he had to keep things popping to keep the reader coming back for more. That's why the magazine publisher paid him the big bucks, using Dickens to sell more magazines.

Jean
07-09-2010, 04:57 AM
You know, I think even if he hadn't been publishing it that way, he would have failed to write anything boring anyway. He is my favorite author, and bears find his sense of humor unparalleled in the multiverse.

Ricky
07-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Great Expectations

That's often the reason they become classics. The problem is that our educational system takes all the "fun" out of them.

:clap:

I agree 100%. I've found that movies and books that I've been assigned to watch/read in school are far less enjoyable than if I had chose to read/watch the exact same thing on my own.

It's one of the big problems I have with the school system. It's like, hey, I read outside of school unlike half the idiots here. Don't tell me what to read and give me a packet of questions to answer about it. No.

Ruthful
07-10-2010, 09:33 PM
http://www.barryozeroff.com/book010.jpg

John Blaze
07-10-2010, 10:08 PM
lol Ruth, i was looking for the "Like" button. I hope you enjoy it!

Bev Vincent
07-11-2010, 05:45 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CdFSqHdNIGk/TA_wY3L8rGI/AAAAAAAAEQY/5UzqBU5-fak/s1600/peanut.jpg

Bethany
07-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Finished War and Remembrance last night (3 AM, actually LOL). Now I need something to read. Suggestions?

Daghain
07-11-2010, 10:10 AM
The Gift of Fear - Gavin de Becker. :D

Heather19
07-11-2010, 02:08 PM
About to start Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane.

John Blaze
07-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Dags, I keep seeing you push that book. What is it about?

Daghain
07-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Seriously should be required reading for every girl over the age of twelve:

Amazon.com: The Gift of Fear and Other Survival Signals that…

Ricky
07-11-2010, 04:40 PM
About to start Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane.

Let me know what you think. It's a really good read.

fernandito
07-12-2010, 07:20 AM
After several recommendations, I decided to pick up The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Ricky
07-12-2010, 07:36 AM
I was looking at it on BN.com, feev. It seems like it's either loved or hated. It's getting alot of hype though, so it must be decent.

John Blaze
07-12-2010, 01:53 PM
i started it feev, and I read 10 pages or so, and then I put it down and picked up something else. It just didn't catch my attention. I'll try again later.

it was translated from Swedish, so it has the problem, imo, that most translated books do. it doesn't feel natural.

Dagavidiab
07-13-2010, 07:44 AM
i started it feev, and I read 10 pages or so, and then I put it down and picked up something else. It just didn't catch my attention. I'll try again later.

it was translated from Swedish, so it has the problem, imo, that most translated books do. it doesn't feel natural.

??
Start reading Twilight!!

John Blaze
07-13-2010, 07:55 AM
shut up already, let it go!

Dagavidiab
07-13-2010, 10:40 AM

:rock: Never my friend!

DoctorDodge
07-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Just finished Hearts in Atlantis. Was thinking of finishing my re-read of the Dark Tower series and start reading the final volume again, but it's been over 2 weeks without Doctor Who, so I think it's time to start reading unofficial novel Time's Champion instead, especially from all the good reviews I've heard. Be starting that tomorrow, I think.

John Blaze
07-14-2010, 11:16 AM

:rock: Never my friend!
:lol: you're a dick.

Empath of the White
07-15-2010, 09:33 PM
I just received a mass-market paperback sized omnibus of the first six novels from the Elric series by Moorcock. I'm getting on into it and loving the character of Elric. Being decadent and sickly, he is a nice change from the traditional fantasy hero.

SigTauGimp
07-15-2010, 11:22 PM
I just received a mass-market paperback sized omnibus of the first six novels from the Elric series by Moorcock. I'm getting on into it and loving the character of Elric. Being decadent and sickly, he is a nice change from the traditional fantasy hero.

I :wub: the Elric Series. Amazing fantasy collection. I've read all the way up until "Stormbringer", but haven't gotten the newest omnibuses yet. Where, may I ask, did you find a paperback Omnibus? I'd love to have that.

In other news, about to start "The Dark Half", from SK. I can't believe I've had this book in my book case so long, and never realized that I hadn't read it.

woodpryan
07-16-2010, 01:54 AM
Hell House, by Richard Matheson. Next on the list is The Exorcist, by William Peter Blatty.

jhanic
07-16-2010, 04:26 AM
I finished Uncle Tom's Cabin and have started a reread of Robert A. Heinlein's Time Enough for Love. This was written back in the early 70s, but, although he uses different terminology, he talks about DNA testing!

John

Tito_Villa
07-16-2010, 04:44 AM
Just started The Talisman for the 1st time!

sarah
07-16-2010, 07:15 AM
yay, Tito Villa! Top three books of all time, imo. Can't wait to hear what you think about it.

fernandito
07-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Hey Bruno, how's Twilight ? Have you decided which team you're on yet ?

disel24
07-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Let's see:

Eldest (Inheritence book 2)
Storm Front (Dresden file book)
Comics (Too many to name)
The Passage

One for work, one for home w family, one for home alone and comics whenever the chance arises.

Brice
07-16-2010, 04:10 PM

:rofl:

DoctorDodge
07-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Time's Champion by Craig Hinton and Chris McKeon. An unofficial Doctor Who novel that I've had for a couple of years now, but only just got round to reading it. Not that I wasn't interested, since it deals with so many awesome ideas relating to the 6th Doctor as well as giving him an epic finale that he didn't get on telly, but because it was so steeped in mythology that I had to do a bit of reading to prepare on it, including looking up two obscure and out of print official novels on ebay.

Just started it, and nowhere near the really good bit yet, but I'll say this much: considering obscure characters from the two novels I mentioned have appeared in the first five pages, I'm really glad I made the effort to look for them! I consider myself a fully fledged Who nerd, and there's still been plenty of references that have gone even over my dorky head! :lol:

Daghain
07-17-2010, 11:31 AM
The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book Nine) - Lemony Snicket

Ricky
07-17-2010, 12:24 PM
The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book Nine) - Lemony Snicket

:excited: :clap:

Bethany
07-18-2010, 08:08 AM

Bruno thparkles. :P

dammit! I need a book. I've not read a single word since last weekend. :panic: Me brain is going to rot.

Daghain
07-18-2010, 08:48 AM
The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 10) - Lemony Snicket

LineofEld
07-18-2010, 01:43 PM
The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 10) - Lemony Snicket

I thoroughly enjoyed all the Unfortunate Events books!! :)

Bethany
07-18-2010, 05:23 PM
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Oddly enough, nothing I read here led me to it, my Emmy picked it out for me tonight.

Daghain
07-18-2010, 09:25 PM
I haven't read the book, but I can say WATCH THE MOVIE!

It's really, REALLY good.

Bethany
07-20-2010, 03:42 PM
I really hope all the boring passages about European banking, finances and politics don't prove to be crucial to the plot because I'm skimming right over them. :P

I ordered Such A Nice Guy and Still A Nice Guy by Phil Torcivia today. I stumbled across him on Facebook. He's amusing and he talks to me on there. I figured he deserved my 20 bucks LOL.

Merlin1958
07-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Well lets see.........finishing up a re-read of The Talisman and next will be Horns by Joe Hill. I thought I'd give the kid a whirl since I so love the old man's work!!!! Hopefully I'l enjoy that and move on to his other titles.

Seriously considering the William Blatty offering of Exorcist/Legion (Gift Edition) over at Cemetery Dance, but I just hate giving those clowns money!!!! Still don't have Riding the Bullet or SODII!!!!! However, I will most likely break down as that was a great book (s) that I haven't read since High school, which is too long ago to mention!!!! LOL

I'd appreciate any reviews from folks who have read "Horns"?????????

:orely:

Daghain
07-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Twilight

candy
07-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Twilight

and? i read it and never bothered reading the follow ups. its bored me in all honesty

I am re-reading the time travelers wife. (was in the middle of Wizard and Glass, but i am waiting for sister to catch me up)

fernandito
07-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Twilight

:o

Emily
07-21-2010, 11:53 AM
It's funny and maybe a little sad how Twilight is such a joke now. I read the Twilight books a couple of years ago to make sure that they really were as bad as I made them out to be in my mind, and because for some reason the fact that so many people were reading something I hadn't read was like eating away at me. All in all, they were pretty predictable and dull. I thought the first one wasn't as bad to get through, the 2nd and 3rd were miserable, and the 4th had a few interesting parts, but was disappointing. For me, the books really didn't have much literary fiber or many cool/scary vampirey things happening, so the bottom line was that I waited 4 books for Bella and Edward to have sex, and then when they did, it was the most anticlimactic (ha-ha) thing ever.

For whatever reason, I always like to hear that someone (other than my prepubescent next door neighbor) is reading the books. I'm interested to hear how you feel about them Daghain.

LineofEld
07-21-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm finally going back home to The Talisman.

Girlystevedave
07-21-2010, 12:43 PM
It's funny and maybe a little sad how Twilight is such a joke now. I read the Twilight books a couple of years ago to make sure that they really were as bad as I made them out to be in my mind, and because for some reason the fact that so many people were reading something I hadn't read was like eating away at me. All in all, they were pretty predictable and dull. I thought the first one wasn't as bad to get through, the 2nd and 3rd were miserable, and the 4th had a few interesting parts, but was disappointing. For me, the books really didn't have much literary fiber or many cool/scary vampirey things happening, so the bottom line was that I waited 4 books for Bella and Edward to have sex, and then when they did, it was the most anticlimactic (ha-ha) thing ever.

For whatever reason, I always like to hear that someone (other than my prepubescent next door neighbor) is reading the books. I'm interested to hear how you feel about them Daghain.

Ah! I felt the same about the sex scene. Or the lack of.
I have a friend who is utterly obsessed with the series and I complained about it to her. She said: It's left open so you can imagine what happens. I said: "No, it's her job as a writer to tell ME what happens."
It's a book, not a Mad Lib, I shouldn't have to fill in the blanks. :)

Daghain
07-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Well, I'm about halfway through so far, and I have to say, it's not all that exciting. Really, the only reason I'm reading them is so I can mock them properly. :lol:

There's something about Meyer's writing style that sort of bugs me, it just doesn't flow well, or something. It's like she's trying to use all these big words, but she's not doing a good job of it. :lol:

Overall, it's not bad, but it's not in any way exceptional or worth all the hype, IMHO. I totally see why Stephen King didn't think she could write.

ETA: Okay, after a couple more chapters of really looking for it (see, an English major does come in handy sometimes LOL) she sounds like a 34 year old trying to sound like a 17 year old. It's not working for me. At all. I suspected that was it all along, but I wanted to be sure. She doesn't seem to have the ability to put herself into the head of a 17 year old, but tries to write a 17 year old point of view from her perspective as an adult.

Again, I totally get why King thinks she sucks. :lol:

The story isn't TOO bad, in and of itself, but her writing isn't believable. I don't believe Bella is 17. I believe Bella is channeling an adult. Just my two cents. :D

As one example, I don't believe there are too many 17 year olds who use the word "chagrined". :lol:

I could pull up more, but if I get that ambitious I'll put it in the Twilight thread.

Hmm. I may be bored enough to write an actual paper about that. :orely:

Ruthful
07-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Like Water For Chocolate, by Laura Esquivel

alkanto
07-23-2010, 08:07 PM
As one example, I don't believe there are too many 17 year olds who use the word "chagrined". :lol:

Hey! Does that expand to 18-year-olds? Because I've used words a tad more advanced that chagrinned for years...Or maybe it's jut Bella for whom the word seems unbelievable? I've read the books...actually, I read them when they were new (as in, before the craze, when it wasn't a literary sin, practically), so I'm aware of the writing style...not the greatest, by any means.

I just started The Belgariad series by David Eddings for the, ummmm...ninth time? Something like that. :P

jhanic
07-24-2010, 04:08 AM
I'm currently on a Heinlein kick. I just finished The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress and have moved on to Time Enough for Love. Geez, I love his story-telling capabilities!

John

Bethany
07-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and I'll admit I was disappointed. It was good, mind you, but a letdown. The way all you have carried on I was expecting a spectacular story that knocked me off my feet. Instead, it was just a read and toss Wal Mart thriller. :(

I think this may be part of my problem with it:

I bet Lisabeth seems exotic and exciting and intriguing with her hidden past, buried hurts and stoic toughness. Bullshit. You try being responsible for someone like her...trying to find them some where to live, a school to attend, etc...It ain't fun.

LineofEld
07-24-2010, 08:42 AM

Hey! Does that expand to 18-year-olds? Because I've used words a tad more advanced that chagrinned for years...Or maybe it's jut Bella for whom the word seems unbelievable? I've read the books...actually, I read them when they were new (as in, before the craze, when it wasn't a literary sin, practically), so I'm aware of the writing style...not the greatest, by any means.

I just started [I]The Belgariad/I] series by David Eddings for the, ummmm...ninth time? Something like that. :P

The Belgariad is one of my favorite fantasy works. Another of my favorites is Dragonlance Chronicles.

Daghain
07-24-2010, 09:12 AM
I read the first book of The Belgariad and HATED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. I can't stand Edding's writing style. :ninja:

And alkanto, I think it's that Bella sounds like a 34 year old trying to sound like a 17 year old. The whole writing style is unbelievable.

And OH MY GOD, could we go on ANY MORE about how awesome/beautiful/amazing Edward is? *gag*

Bethany
07-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Oh Edward, you are so beautiful and perfect!

*dramatic sigh*
*throw hand over eyes*

I'm so plain and clumsy

*trips over piece of lint, goes crashing in to a pyramid of pork and beans, falls, gashes forearm and ruptures spleen*

Daghain
07-24-2010, 09:50 AM
OMG B that is hysterical! I just read that out to DBF, who hasn't read the books, and even he's laughing his ass off. :lol:

Bethany
07-24-2010, 10:42 AM
I hope you did it in the proper, whiny, angsty voice. :cyclops:
Be sure to show him the blog I gave you.

LineofEld
07-24-2010, 11:07 AM
:o How could you not love The Belgariad?? It's so typically poor-boy-come-important!!

And I will admit to having read Twilight. Some of my friends talked me into it. I agree... how many times can you possibly talk about how beautiful someone is. Get over it.

Daghain
07-25-2010, 09:56 AM
I just really HATE Edding's writing style. And, I didn't think the story was so mind-bendingly original. DBF hyped it way too hard, apparently. :lol:

And the further I get into Twilight, the dumber it gets. This relationship is the trainwreck of the century. This is what happens when you give a Mormon a word processor. :lol:

Ricky
07-25-2010, 09:58 AM
This is what happens when you give a Mormon a word processor. :lol:

Quoted just for the sake of quoting. I feel it needed to be done. :lol:

Mo-linoDeViento
07-25-2010, 04:16 PM
I just picked up two new books...The Count of Monte Cristo (no, I still haven't read it...don't stone me!) and Savage (by Laymon). I'm reading Savage now, I love it (of course...gotta love Laymon's work) and I'm only a couple of chapters in. :)

John Blaze
07-25-2010, 07:25 PM

fuck you guys.

fuck you long, and fuck you hard.

That being said, I'm Team Mike.

Finished the books friday, they were pretty meh. Seemed like they took the plot to a season of buffy, made it totally retarded, and then changed the names and called it Twilight. Oh, and in these books, "Buffy" is a dumb whiny bitch who likes abusive boyfriends and cockteasing her friends.

Empath of the White
07-25-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm reading The Dragon King by R.A. Salvatore, the third book of his Crimson Shadow series. Having read all of his Drizzt novels I decided to give this series a try. There's heavily derivative elements, but I still find the book to be enjoyable with a fun "Rebellion against the evil wizard and his demon-possessed wizard-dukes" and the action sequences he is famous for.

Jean
07-25-2010, 10:09 PM
brother John is issued a mild warning for fucking our mutual friends long and hard...

Daghain
07-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Well, give me that as well, Jean, Twilight SUCKS. I cannot imagine it will get better.

Trust me, if we had you read it you'd stop hibernating until 2027.

Yes, it's THAT bad. BAD.

John Blaze
07-25-2010, 11:03 PM
brother John is issued a mild warning for fucking our mutual friends long and hard...
YouTube- Suck on it Trebek!

alkanto
07-26-2010, 02:03 PM
I read the first book of The Belgariad and HATED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. I can't stand Edding's writing style. :ninja:

And alkanto, I think it's that Bella sounds like a 34 year old trying to sound like a 17 year old. The whole writing style is unbelievable.

And OH MY GOD, could we go on ANY MORE about how awesome/beautiful/amazing Edward is? *gag*

Actually, speaking of Eddings' style, I am on my 9th re-read (I tend to get obsessed) anyways, I just finished The Dark Tower for the third time, and now I feel incredibly spoiled by King :D I never really noticed how....is juvenile the right word?...Eddings writes. Not that it's enough to turn be away from my beloved series, but it tends to grate on me more than it used to.

And fair enough about the writing style of Twilight. I suppose that makes sense, though. Given Meyer's level of ability, that is exactly what the book is - a 30-something pretending to be 17. :P But...God. please don't bring up Edward! Didn't like him in the books, hated him in the movies my sister dragged me to, hate even thinking about him....I'm a Jacob girl myself :) :huglove:

Daghain
07-26-2010, 02:09 PM
I think juvenile is exactly the right word for Eddings' style. Had I read it when I was 8 instead of 44 I might have liked it. :lol:

alkanto
07-26-2010, 02:12 PM
I think juvenile is exactly the right word for Eddings' style. Had I read it when I was 8 instead of 44 I might have liked it. :lol:

Which perfectly explains why I attached so firmly on to it...I was 9 when I started reading it. :P

idk, my bff jill?
07-26-2010, 04:42 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b7/The_Beauty_Queen_of_Leenane.jpg

Loved it.

Heather19
07-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Just picked up Song of Kali by Simmons at the bookstore earlier today :rock: I can't wait to start it. I just need to hurry up and finish Shutter Island now.

jhanic
07-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Simmons' first, Song of Kali, is GREAT! I'm a fan of his, but I really, really like that one. I read it when it first came out and was extremely impressed. (As you may have guessed! :dance:)

John

boq
07-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Just finished "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban". Astonished by the quality of Rowlings writing in this volume - it leapt out at me on the very first page and the story just took me away.
Will certainly be continuing with "Goblet of Fire" immediately... and seriously considering starting to watch the movies. I've resisted googling "Dementor" as I have such a clear image of what one will look like and want to experience the "surprise" of someone else's interpretation.

Brice
07-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Just picked up Song of Kali by Simmons at the bookstore earlier today :rock: I can't wait to start it. I just need to hurry up and finish Shutter Island now.

If you can wait a bit longer I'll read it with you. :)

John Blaze
07-27-2010, 01:36 AM
So I tried to read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo again and I JUST CAN'T GET INTO IT!

It's getting annoying, everyone saying how great it is and me being all, meh. Oh well.

I'm gonna reread It this week.

Bethany
07-27-2010, 04:19 AM
Do what I did and skip/skim the first part and any passage that tries to educate you on the doings of Sweden. Was it Sweden? And :thumbsup: on the IT re-read.

Finished my Nice Guy books. They were funny and confirmed what I've suspected about the PPT* for many years now.

*That would be Penis People Tribe :P

Nerak
07-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner.....Strange book

Heather19
07-27-2010, 01:49 PM

Let me know when you're ready :)
It'll probably take me awhile to finish Shutter Island anyways, I'm having a really hard time with it. I don't know if it's just that I saw the movie and so far it's exactly the same, or the fact that he's horrible at writing conversations. Does he really need to start every conversation with so-and-so said.... And intersperse that into the same conversation every other line. It just takes me right out of the story.

Ricky
07-27-2010, 04:15 PM
It'll probably take me awhile to finish Shutter Island anyways, I'm having a really hard time with it. I don't know if it's just that I saw the movie and so far it's exactly the same, or the fact that he's horrible at writing conversations. Does he really need to start every conversation with so-and-so said.... And intersperse that into the same conversation every other line. It just takes me right out of the story.

This hurts my feelings. :(

Heather19
07-27-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm sorry :couple: Did that not bother you though? And I really do like the story behind it. The movie is one of my favorites from this past year.

Brice
07-27-2010, 04:32 PM

Let me know when you're ready :)

I have it coming to me in the mail. It is coming from outside the country though so if you don't want to wait I'd understand.

Ricky
07-28-2010, 06:55 AM
I'm sorry :couple: Did that not bother you though? And I really do like the story behind it. The movie is one of my favorites from this past year.

I'd have to read it again to see if I'm annoyed by it as well. I don't remember having any problems with it the first time around though. Even though the movie was 99% true to the book, I still found the book to be 10x better than the movie.

candy
07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
i am reading On Writing

and i love it

i have 5 books on the go at the moment
:excited:

disel24
07-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Reading:

The Passage

Storm Front: A Dresen novel by Jim Butcher

The Intruders by Michael Marshall

Various comics (Reading through The Boys by Ennis from 1-44)

Heather19
07-28-2010, 03:19 PM

I'd have to read it again to see if I'm annoyed by it as well. I don't remember having any problems with it the first time around though. Even though the movie was 99% true to the book, I still found the book to be 10x better than the movie.

Well I think I'd be enjoying it so much more had I not already seen the movie.

Ruthful
07-29-2010, 12:22 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51tVmr84cVL.jpg

http://1979semifinalist.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/lolitalarge.jpg

Heather19
07-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Let me know how you like Lolita G. I've been thinking of picking it up.

lophophoras
07-30-2010, 01:05 PM
I just reread Swan Song by Robert McCammon. That is a great book!! If you have never read it you really should give it a try.

I think it is time from a reread of The Stand....

Tito_Villa
07-30-2010, 01:21 PM
I finished The Talisman for the 1st time today and while it was good, i don't think that it was great!

Going to start reading World War Z now :)

Daghain
07-31-2010, 04:45 AM
Ooh, let me know how you like that, Tito! I loved it.

Currently reading Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk.

Heather19
07-31-2010, 06:20 AM
Currently reading Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk.

:thumbsup: I really enjoyed that one.

idk, my bff jill?
07-31-2010, 06:52 AM
http://ciccoricco.net/teaching/FinalProject07/Todd_House_of_leaves.jpg

woodpryan
08-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Currently reading William Peter Blatty's "The Exorcist". Only on page 50 and it has already found a place in my top ten. This man is amazing. Next up is "House of Leaves," by Danielewski. Looking forward to that.

Jean
08-01-2010, 01:48 AM
Currently reading William Peter Blatty's "The Exorcist". Only on page 50 and it has already found a place in my top ten. This man is amazing.
one of bears' favorite books, too! It's actually a trilogy, but I only read the first and the third book, couldn't find the middle part. The third is equally amazing.

candy
08-01-2010, 02:32 AM
I finished The Talisman for the 1st time today and while it was good, i don't think that it was great!

Going to start reading World War Z now :)

Read Blackhouse; which some prefer over the Talisman, although i loved talisman, i loved blackhouse more - but in a different way.

woodpryan
08-01-2010, 02:40 AM

I can't wait to read that. Oh man! That's next on my list. It's sitting on my bookshelf and brooding at me, saying, "Hurry the fuck up already. I have something to say, asshole!" It keeps yelling at me. It's really quite frightening actually. :)

woodpryan
08-01-2010, 02:42 AM
Currently reading William Peter Blatty's "The Exorcist". Only on page 50 and it has already found a place in my top ten. This man is amazing.
one of bears' favorite books, too! It's actually a trilogy, but I only read the first and the third book, couldn't find the middle part. The third is equally amazing.

I keep thinking, "OK, now I'm going to bed..." Ten pages later, "Damnit! OK, just a little more and then I'm going to bed..." Twenty pages later. "Damnit!!"
It's such a quick read. He just keeps my eyes locked to the pages. I burned through almost forty more pages since my last post. I'm really enjoying this thing. I can't wait till Monday, my day off. I'll have plenty of time to read.

Jean
08-01-2010, 03:36 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Ricky
08-01-2010, 06:36 AM
Future Ricky is reading Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. Though until my order comes in from B&N, present Ricky is not reading anything. :(

alinda
08-01-2010, 06:37 AM
I need a book, guess a reread will do for now. One of the best parts
of owning a library. :thumbsup:

Heather19
08-01-2010, 07:14 AM

I've had that book sitting on my bookshelf forever. I must get to it soon!

Jean
08-01-2010, 07:31 AM
do that! do that! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/awake.gif

jhanic
08-01-2010, 11:22 AM
I've almost finished my reread of Heinlein's Time Enough for Love. Either tonight or tomorrow I'll be starting to read my proof of King's Full Dark, No Stars.

John

Brice
08-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Let me know how you like Lolita G. I've been thinking of picking it up.

Great book!

Another fantastic book.

Also one of my all time favorites. I'm aware of there being three movies, but I thought there were only two books. What is the other? There was of course The Exorcist for both movie and book and then Exorcist III was the book Legion. What am I missing?

I've had that book sitting on my bookshelf forever. I must get to it soon!

Yes, you MUST.

Heather19
08-01-2010, 04:09 PM
I think I'll start it after Song of Kali :D And don't hate me, I just started that one today. Let me know when you get your copy.

Brice
08-01-2010, 04:10 PM
I couldn't hate you. :huglove:

It may be awhile for mine. It's coming from outside the country.

Jean
08-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Also one of my all time favorites. I'm aware of there being three movies, but I thought there were only two books. What is the other? There was of course The Exorcist for both movie and book and then Exorcist III was the book Legion. What am I missing?
You have just opened my eyes to the fact that there's no second book. I assumed, when I saw that the cover of Legion read "Exorcist III", that there should be an "Exorcist II" in written form, as a book by W. Peter Blatty. No wonder I never could find it anywhere.

woodpryan, I have deceived you - there's only two books. Both great.

woodpryan
08-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Holy crap! The Exorcist is a frightening book. I never thought I'd say this, but this thing is actually duking it out with Stephen King's IT for my number one favorite book. It's deffinately fighting IT for most frightening. It might actually win too. I'm only on page 148 (which, coincidentally makes 13) and it's scaring the crap out of me. It sends me into this fits of chills where I have to actually put it down for a little while. I've read a LOT of horror novels in my time. Nothing quite like this. Deffinately worth my twenty bucks (had to get hardcover of course).

Jean
08-02-2010, 12:21 AM
woodpryan, bears love you!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/furry/PaddingtonBear3.jpg

woodpryan
08-02-2010, 12:36 AM
I love bears. Bears are great! :)

Brice
08-02-2010, 02:13 AM
The Exorcist even manages to get to me a little and that's not an easy task.

Jean, I'm glad I could help...though I wish I were wrong. I too wish there was another book. They were both fantastic. I think I've read everything by Blatty.

woodpryan
08-02-2010, 02:25 AM

Jean, I'm glad I could help...though I wish I were wrong. I too wish there was another book. They were both fantastic. I think I've read everything by Blatty.

Have you read his latest, Demiter I think it's called? I was thinking about picking that up. That isn't part of a series is it? After reading The Dark Tower and Harry Potter, I'm a little weary of series books now. I don't really like to get into them any more. Don't get me wrong. I loved both, but I like to read one novel and be done with the story. If you've read Demiter (I think), what did you think of it?

Brice
08-02-2010, 02:46 AM
Actually I'd forgotten about that one. I haven't read it yet.

ladysai
08-02-2010, 07:00 PM
I recently finished "Storm Front", by Jim Butcher; and am now in the middle of "Fool Moon" by Butcher as well.
I think I may go through all the Dresden Files books that are available through my library.
I'm liking this modern-day wizard a lot more than I thought I would! :rock:

Brice
08-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Jim Butcher is awesome! :)

Merlin1958
08-03-2010, 06:36 AM

Anyone notice the "Exorcist/Legion" special edition over at Cemetery Dance? I can't get over an impulse to buy that book. I read both in HS and just loved it!!!

Reading "Horns" by Joe Hill right now.

mae
08-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Is there anything special about that 50th anniversary edition of Lolita?

woodpryan
08-03-2010, 11:32 PM

Anyone notice the "Exorcist/Legion" special edition over at Cemetery Dance? I can't get over an impulse to buy that book. I read both in HS and just loved it!!!

I really enjoyed "Horns" a lot. My favorite from Hill so far (I've read three from him, including the book of short stories) and I can't wait to get more.

woodpryan
08-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Finished "The Exorcist" last night. It was the first novel to ever give me nightmares and now stands at Number ONE on my list of most frightening books. Although it didn't beat out IT for my favorite novel, it came in a close second.

Just started reading "House of Leaves," by Danielewski. Getting pretty weird already and I've only read the introduction.

Jean
08-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Finished "The Exorcist" last night. It was the first novel to ever give me nightmares and now stands at Number ONE on my list of most frightening books. Although it didn't beat out IT for my favorite novel, it came in a close second.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

John Blaze
08-04-2010, 12:49 AM
rereading American Gods.

Heather19
08-04-2010, 02:14 AM

After hearing that, I'll definitely be reading it very, very soon. :)

woodpryan
08-04-2010, 02:29 AM
rereading American Gods.

I bought that a few days ago. I don't know when I'll have time to read it since I think I will be starting a new semester of college before I finish, "House of Leaves." How was it?

Brice
08-04-2010, 02:41 AM

I really enjoyed Horns. :)

I hadn't seen the Exorcist/Legion special edition. I'll have to go have a look.

jhanic
08-04-2010, 03:43 AM
It's been ages since I read The Exorcist. I guess I'll have to pick up a copy and start it soon. I know when the movie first came out, it gave me nightmares (my then three-year-old son turned his head completely around), but I don't remember being that scared from the book.

John

what
08-04-2010, 03:50 AM
rereading American Gods.

How was it?

One of my top 10, only read it due to the recommendations on the site. Thanks Guys!

fernandito
08-04-2010, 07:09 AM
rereading American Gods.

What other Gaiman stuff have you read ?

mae
08-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Speaking of The Exorcist, I see CD is coming out with a nice edition of it and Legion for Halloween:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/blatty02

Amazon has it for a nice discount.

P.S.: Sample illustrations: http://www.keithminnion.com/book-illustrations/the-exorcist-by-william-peter-blatty/

Brice
08-04-2010, 08:18 AM
It's been ages since I read The Exorcist. I guess I'll have to pick up a copy and start it soon. I know when the movie first came out, it gave me nightmares (my then three-year-old son turned his head completely around), but I don't remember being that scared from the book.

John

...like Linda Blair? :scared:

jhanic
08-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Yes, and he had that same creepy smile she had in the movie in my dream! Scared the h*** out of me!

John

Brice
08-04-2010, 08:28 AM
*shudders*

John Blaze
08-04-2010, 01:06 PM
rereading American Gods.

How was it?

One of my top 10, only read it due to the recommendations on the site. Thanks Guys!You definitely need to read it. I think it's Gaiman's best.

rereading American Gods.

What other Gaiman stuff have you read ?
IDK, alot of them. I love Gaiman. AG and Anansi Boys are my favorites. I try to read them once in a while.

DoctorDodge
08-04-2010, 01:55 PM
I seriously need to check out a lot of Neil Gaiman's stuff. He's writing a Dr Who ep for next year, and it's causing a lot of fans to go :excited:, so I really need to check out some of his stuff before then. Maybe I should start with his Sandman comics first, then work my way through his novels. It'll keep me going until series 6, anyway.

Bethany
08-04-2010, 02:29 PM
I confess I'm leery of Gaiman and Palahniuk and several others just because of the hype factor, they're the literary equivalent of Donnie Darko...All the cool kids are doing it so it must be cool. Meh.

DoctorDodge
08-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Oh, I can't deny that is a good reason to be skeptical, bethany, when someone's been hyped up so much it's easy to think they can't live up to the reputation, it might just be the very reason why I haven't bothered to read anything of Gaiman's work yet, but anyone who's good enough to be personally selected to write for Doctor Who is bound to be a good writer, imo. Especially if that series has a man as talented as Moffat in charge: that's a good excuse to check out any writer's work, hyped or not, imo! So Neil Gaiman is definitely top of my list of authors I really need to check out, methinks.

ladysai
08-04-2010, 03:07 PM
In Gaiman's case, the hype is well-deserved.
American Gods is an awesome read. I promise. :)

Daghain
08-04-2010, 03:55 PM
I have that book. I suppose I need to move it closer to the top of my list. :D

Bethany
08-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeah, that's what you all said about The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo :lol:

John Blaze
08-04-2010, 05:45 PM
I confess I'm leery of Gaiman and Palahniuk and several others just because of the hype factor, they're the literary equivalent of Donnie Darko...All the cool kids are doing it so it must be cool. Meh.
Says the woman who read the Twilight books and lied about it. :P

John Blaze
08-04-2010, 05:49 PM
I seriously need to check out a lot of Neil Gaiman's stuff. He's writing a Dr Who ep for next year, and it's causing a lot of fans to go :excited:, so I really need to check out some of his stuff before then. Maybe I should start with his Sandman comics first, then work my way through his novels. It'll keep me going until series 6, anyway.
Believe it or not, his graphic novels have been the works I liked the least. I tried Sandman, and I read a collection of short stories he edited based on the Sandman stuff, and it was all so confusing and bleh. AG is awesome though, as is Anansi Boys.

Bethany
08-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Says the woman who read the Twilight books and lied about it. :P

I never lied! I just don't broadcast this tidbit.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-04-2010, 07:21 PM
If I had read the Twilight books, I would lie about it too.

I am rererereading Wastelands.

alkanto
08-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Apex Hides the Hurt - Colson Whitehead

It's a book my college honors program is making me read, about a nameless nomenclature consultant. It's not bad so far...

Tito_Villa
08-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Finished "World War Z" last night and Feev was right, its a great read and a very well though out book!

Next im going to read Carlos Ruiz Zafon's "The Angel Game" as i loved "The Shadow of the Wind"

turtlex
08-05-2010, 02:53 AM
I know someone who read the Twilight book and blogged about how awful it was ... and thus made me laugh coffee out my nose!! It was awesome!

Brice
08-05-2010, 04:34 AM
Bethany, I've only read one short story by Pahlahniuk (or however the hell he spells it) and that was just recently. It was in fact great. Also everything I stumbled upon by Gaiman was. This is not hype...just opinion.

Daghain
08-05-2010, 06:34 AM
I know someone who read the Twilight book and blogged about how awful it was ... and thus made me laugh coffee out my nose!! It was awesome!

Was that me, by chance? If not, I'm going to need a link - after reading that tripe I need all the laughs I can get. :lol:

turtlex
08-05-2010, 07:06 AM

Was that me, by chance? If not, I'm going to need a link - after reading that tripe I need all the laughs I can get. :lol:

It was TOTALLY you !!!!

I forwarded it to about ten friends !!

Daghain
08-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Wow, I'm flattered. I didn't think it was THAT funny. :lol:

Ricky
08-05-2010, 07:17 AM
I must read this blog entry. :lol:

turtlex
08-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Wow, I'm flattered. I didn't think it was THAT funny. :lol:

It was. It really was.

BillyxRansom
08-05-2010, 07:26 AM
Currently reading The Implacable Order of Things (titled Blank Gaze in the UK, and originally titled Nenhum Olhar as it was written in Portuguese and then translated from there) by José Luís Peixoto.

Daghain
08-05-2010, 07:30 AM
I must read this blog entry. :lol:

Here you go. :D

http://martinisforbreakfast.wordpress.com/2010/07/31/why-twilight-is-a-trainwreck-of-epic-proportions/

Ricky
08-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Okay, I just read it.

But really, why don't you like it? Bella and Edward are like, so perfect. And they love each other, like, alot! His sparkling is obviously a metaphor for how he aspires to be as perfect as Bella, even though he's a vampire and she's totally not perfect at all. So, like, it's not even a metaphor at all; more like Stephenie's totally awesome imagery usage to make Edward like, totally more sympathetic as a character. You obviously didn't get the point of the book.
:lol:

Daghain
08-05-2010, 08:11 AM

It was especially disappointing after my reread of Fred Saberhagen's The Dracula Tape because THAT book it totally freaking awesome. It's the Bram Stoker story told from Vlad's point of view - and let's just say there's no love lost between him and Van Helsing. :lol:

ladysai
08-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Listening to The Eyes of the Dragon for the first time.
I've read the book at least 3 times, ages ago, but this will be a new experience. :)

Bethany
08-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Percy Jackson and The Last Olympian
The whole series is "meh" but I hate not to see it through to the end.

Heather19
08-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Bethany, I've only read one short story by Pahlahniuk (or however the hell he spells it) and that was just recently. It was in fact great. Also everything I stumbled upon by Gaiman was. This is not hype...just opinion.

You've only read one story by Palahniuk :onfire: I think you'd love him. I'd definitely recommend checking out some more of his books. Fight Club and Lullaby would be my top picks.

But first you should finish The Terror ;)

candy
08-07-2010, 02:15 AM
re-reading hearts in atlantis - just finished Low Men (and skipped the part i don't like cause it makes me sad - does anyone else do this?)

just going to start the next one 1966, also re-reading the original gun slinger.

Jean
08-07-2010, 02:31 AM
(and skipped the part i don't like cause it makes me sad - does anyone else do this?)
Always.

Brice
08-07-2010, 03:43 AM

You've only read one story by Palahniuk :onfire: I think you'd love him. I'd definitely recommend checking out some more of his books. Fight Club and Lullaby would be my top picks.

But first you should finish The Terror ;)

You'll be happy to hear I've picked it up and resumed reading some. :)

Yes, all I've read is his (very) short story Loser in the anthology Stories.

Heather19
08-07-2010, 03:59 AM
That does make me extremely happy :huglove:

Brice
08-07-2010, 04:13 AM
:huglove:

jhanic
08-07-2010, 05:35 AM
re-reading hearts in atlantis - just finished Low Men (and skipped the part i don't like cause it makes me sad - does anyone else do this?)

Just curious, Candy. Which part makes you sad?

John

candy
08-07-2010, 05:59 AM

Just curious, Candy. Which part makes you sad?

John

its the part where
Low men spoiler
Liz, Bobby's mum comes home from the 'seminar' and she finds carol on Ted's knees. Its the whole scene, i am sad for Liz (as she has just been attacked, but mostly i am really angry at her- but mostly i just feel really sad for Bobby, as she doesn't see him at all. Even when she knocks him down and he really just wants her to see him - this was the part I skimmed

jhanic
08-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Thanks, Candy. I agree that's a sad part, but I think it's even sadder about how Liz treats Bobby almost all the time.

John

candy
08-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks, Candy. I agree that's a sad part, but I think it's even sadder about how Liz treats Bobby almost all the time.

John

True. The first time i read it i thought she would come around to him and it would be a happy ever after. But this part is when you realise that she won't and never will do, and i think that why it breaks my heart.

John Blaze
08-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Liz is a bitch, and one of the characters I hate most in the books. It's sad what happened to her, but in my opinion she should have seen it coming.

John Blaze
08-07-2010, 09:09 AM
read Michael Crichton's PREY yesterday, it was kind of meh. Rereading all his books now. Congo today and if I finish it today I will start my JP books tomorrow. :wub:

mae
08-07-2010, 04:45 PM
read Michael Crichton's PREY yesterday, it was kind of meh. Rereading all his books now. Congo today and if I finish it today I will start my JP books tomorrow. :wub:

I loved Prey!

Bethany
08-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Picked up American Gods tonight.
I am putting on my ass kicking boots if I don't like it.

ladysai
08-07-2010, 08:14 PM
I'll be very surprised if you have to do any ass-kicking, bethany.
Enjoy the read!
:)

John Blaze
08-07-2010, 08:58 PM

I loved Prey!
I didn't, to be honest. It was ok, but it seemed like so much RL Stine. A little more mature, to be sure, but still, very RL Stine, with the cliffhanger chapter endings and whatnot. I like most of his books, but most of the "activist" books he wrote towards the end of his life just aren't his best. The JP books, Congo, Sphere, and Timeline are my faves.

fernandito
08-08-2010, 07:09 AM
Picked up American Gods tonight.
I am putting on my ass kicking boots if I don't like it.

That won't be necessary, American Gods is an amazing novel.

Bethany
08-08-2010, 08:11 AM
:nope: We'll see.

Daghain
08-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Starting a reread of IT.

Bethany
08-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Starting a reread of IT.

:clap:
There seems to be a lot of this going around.

Daghain
08-09-2010, 08:20 AM
I KNOW. :lol:

Bethany
08-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Sigh. Finished American Gods last night. Now I have nothing to read.

fernandito
08-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Sigh. Finished American Gods last night.

And ? ...

Daghain
08-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Yeah, and? It's on my list as well. Any good?

John Blaze
08-09-2010, 11:48 AM
yeah, yeah, and?

Bethany
08-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Overall, it was a very good read. Interesting characters (loved Shadow), excellent story telling. But then it just fizzled. What's with books ending so lame assily these days?

That whole "the gods come and go but the land always is" crap just made me want to puke.

However, unless you have been in the Fairy Tale Cavern of Rock City, you have no idea just how creepy the showdown with Loki and Laura is. I'm not one to get creeped out easily but that place gives me the heebie jeebies.

All in all, I'm glad I read it. Dags, you should read it now. After IT.

I still may kick some ass, just on general principle. :P

Daghain
08-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Alrighty, it will definitely move closer to the top of the list. It's going to take me FOREVER to read IT though, I think. It clearly has been a LONG time since I read this book (20 years?) because I'm only about 60 pages in and already I realized I had completely forgotten about Adrian getting thrown off the bridge, or that he was even in the story. :lol:

Bethany
08-09-2010, 12:11 PM
LOL! When I was trying to come up with my screen name a thousand years ago at .net, I was almost him!

Daghain
08-09-2010, 12:13 PM
LOL! When I was trying to come up with my screen name a thousand years ago at .net, I was almost him!

Small world! :lol:

Ageless Stranger
08-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Late last night and the night before....

Tito_Villa
08-11-2010, 01:05 AM
I finished Carlos Ruiz Zafon's "The Angels Game" and now im starting his "The Prince of Mist"

Brice
08-11-2010, 03:47 AM

tommyknockers tommyknockers
knocking at my door
i wanna go out
don't know if i can
cause I'm so afraid of the tommyknocker man

Bethany
08-11-2010, 05:11 AM
Nothing :(

fernandito
08-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Nothing :(

How is it ?

Daghain
08-11-2010, 08:24 AM
I'd say probably pretty bland. :lol:

Hannah
08-11-2010, 09:22 AM
I'm currently reading The Passage by Justin Cronin.

My book buddy at work loaned it to me. I love this dude, he's constantly dropping off comics, books, and magazines at my desk for me to read. The tradeoff is that he scratches his balls in front of me.

Daghain
08-11-2010, 09:36 AM
He'd better be sending you some REALLY good books, then. Ewwww. :lol:

fernandito
08-11-2010, 09:58 AM
The same hands that he uses to drop those books off at your desk are the same hands he uses to scratch his balls in front of you. Just sayin'.

Ageless Stranger
08-11-2010, 02:07 PM

tommyknockers tommyknockers
knocking at my door
i wanna go out
don't know if i can
cause I'm so afraid of the tommyknocker man

It's pretty good so far. ;)

Darkthoughts
08-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Hannah, have you read the latest Sookie book?

Bethany
08-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Must find a book.

Brice
08-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Hannah, do you know if he's washing his hands between ballscratching and bringing you books and comics? :lol:

Ageless: I liked it. :)

jhanic
08-12-2010, 07:35 AM
The Puppet Masters by Robert A. Heinlein. I don't know exactly why, but ever since I finished Full Dark, No Stars, I've been on a Heinlein kick. Maybe I needed some lighter reading.

John

what
08-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Just finished Atlas Shrugged... loved it! Will start Blockade Billy tomorrow...

mae
08-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Sigh. Finished American Gods last night. Now I have nothing to read.

I LOLed :)

John Blaze
08-12-2010, 03:20 PM
GREAT! Hank Rearden is one of my favorite characters ever. Have you read The Fountainhead? I think you'd like Roark.

what
08-13-2010, 03:55 AM
GREAT! Hank Rearden is one of my favorite characters ever. Have you read The Fountainhead? I think you'd like Roark.

I will put that on the list, I know I read Anthem in high school but don't remember it. Might put them both on the list!

fernandito
08-13-2010, 07:04 AM

I really, really want to read this. AS was a heavy inspiration for the Bioshock video game series.

Daghain
08-13-2010, 07:16 AM
That one's on my list, too.

Bethany
08-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Picking up South of Broad by Pat Conroy this weekend.

what
08-16-2010, 04:44 AM
Read Blockade/Morality Friday... Love BB but didn't really care for Morality at all:nope: will start The Passage this week, along with school

Ricky
08-16-2010, 06:45 AM
Currently reading Survivor by Chuck Palalhniciuhick.

jhanic
08-16-2010, 07:54 AM
Finished Heinlein's Puppet Masters and have moved on to McCammon's Swan Song. It's been a long time since I first read it and don't remember any of it!

John

Daghain
08-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Currently reading Survivor by Chuck Palalhniciuhick.

Ooh, that's a good one. :thumbsup:

fernandito
08-16-2010, 09:00 AM
I still haven't read any Palachunickicksck books.

Heather19
08-16-2010, 09:14 AM

:o You must!

:lol:

Jean
08-16-2010, 09:22 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_whistle.gif

Daghain
08-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Honestly, Feev. :nope:

Ricky
08-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Hey! Leaave him alone guys, he's obviously struggling with dyslexia! :wtf:

Palachunickicksck

Letti
08-16-2010, 09:57 AM
I have just finished 'The Postman Always Rings Twice'. I couldn't put it down.
Any other readers around?

John Blaze
08-16-2010, 07:25 PM

I will put that on the list, I know I read Anthem in high school but don't remember it. Might put them both on the list!
I wouldn't recommend Anthem, I have it, and it's very blah. But Fountainhead is good.

Darkthoughts
08-17-2010, 02:00 AM

Me either :couple:

Bethany
08-17-2010, 05:10 AM

So many reasons in this one statement of why I :wub: you!

Daghain
08-17-2010, 06:28 AM

Me either :couple:

:o

Jean
08-17-2010, 06:33 AM
::shrugs::

alkanto
08-17-2010, 06:36 AM
Just started Passage of Dawn by R.A. Salvatore, book 10 of The Legend of Drizzt series...almost done with this series!

chtorrwar19
08-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Finished Heinlein's Puppet Masters and have moved on to McCammon's Swan Song.

Both are volumes of pure awesomeness

Brice
08-17-2010, 04:41 PM
I have just finished 'The Postman Always Rings Twice'. I couldn't put it down.

So....you are stilling holding it then? :unsure:

Any other readers around?read it years ago, but I'll be useless conversation. I remember nothing of it.

Bethany
08-17-2010, 05:44 PM
A Game of Thrones

:D

Brice
08-18-2010, 05:37 AM
Enough books that if I'd just finish them before the year is out I'll double my 2010 list. :lol:

Jean
08-18-2010, 05:46 AM
same here

LadyHitchhiker
08-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Just read "Blonde Bombshell" by Tom Holt. He may be up there with Douglas Adams for me. Have to read more books to find out. I almost cried it was so good.

Now I'm reading "Shameless" by Gail Carriger. Just came out this week. Hopefully it has a better ending than the last one she wrote in this series.

fernandito
08-18-2010, 07:39 AM
A Game of Thrones

:D

You're going on a re-read ?! Nice ! :D

Bethany
08-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Aye, and pretty quickly, too.

Brice
08-19-2010, 05:24 AM
same here

It would seem bears and brices share the same reading habits.

Jean
08-19-2010, 06:25 AM
this, and procrastination

there are other little vices and big sins, too, I'm afraid

John Blaze
08-20-2010, 04:24 AM
Atlas Shrugged. After talking about it I had to read it again.

fernandito
08-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Atlas Shrugged. After talking about it I had to read it again.

You've read it before ?! How is it ? It's been on my to-read list for a long time but I always end up picking up something else instead.

Ricky
08-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Just finished Survivor. I thought the ending was pretty straightforward, but apparently it's not. I took the ending to mean that Tender died as the plane crashed, the last sentence cut off because of the impact. Though, Chuck says "The end of Survivor isn't nearly so complicated. It's noted on page 7(8?) that a pile of valuable offerings has been left in the front of the passenger cabin. This pile includes a cassette recorder. Even before our hero starts to dictate his story -- during the few minutes he's supposed to be taking a piss -- he's actually in the bathroom dictating the last chapter into the cassette recorder. It's just ranting, nothing important plot-wise, and it can be interrupted at any point by the destruction of the plane.

The minute the fourth engine flames out, he starts the cassette talking, then bails out, into Fertility's waiting arms (she's omniscient, you know). The rest of the book is just one machine whining and bitching to another machine. The crash will destroy the smaller recorder, but the surviving black box will make it appear that Tender is dead."

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Daghain
08-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Okay, I totally missed that. :o

You should definitely take that to the Chuck thread. :D

Ricky
08-20-2010, 01:02 PM
And so I shall! :)

Emily
08-20-2010, 04:49 PM
I just started reading Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. It's my first Koontz book. I think I like it so far, I'm not really far enough into it to know yet though. It's funny-ish and seems interesting. Any opinions?