PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Ageless Stranger
03-23-2010, 05:11 AM
Finally finished Lisey's Story.

Darkthoughts
03-23-2010, 05:12 AM
Did you like it?

I'm reading my first ever Clive Barker. He's very good, I can't imagine why I haven't read his books before :orely:

Jean
03-23-2010, 05:18 AM
I would like Barker if he ever knew where to stop. Most his stories end long after they are finished.

Brice
03-23-2010, 05:27 AM
Did you like it?

I'm reading my first ever Clive Barker. He's very good, I can't imagine why I haven't read his books before :orely:

:o Nor do I. I love Barker.

Darkthoughts
03-23-2010, 05:29 AM
:lol: Jean, I will get back to you and let you know if I feel the same!

Brice, I'm reading The Great And Secret Show - which my good friend Caroline lent me, after being horrified that I hadn't read Barker. She's also given me Imajica, which I will start next.

turtlex
03-23-2010, 05:29 AM
Did you like it?

Which Barker are you reading, Darkers?!?

My first ever was WeaveWorld and it truly surprised me.

Darkthoughts
03-23-2010, 05:30 AM
:lol: posted at the same time...look up :couple:

turtlex
03-23-2010, 05:31 AM
:huglove: Imajica was very good.

Brice
03-23-2010, 05:32 AM
I love all Barker's early stuff especially. I Believe The Books Of Blood was/were my first.

Edit: Imajica is fantastic.

John Blaze
03-23-2010, 06:53 AM
Reading Dreamsongs, Vol 1 and 2. GRRM rocks.

Had a short story in there about Werewolves calles Skin Trade that really floated my boat.

fernandito
03-23-2010, 09:31 AM
:huglove: Imajica was very good.

Edit: Imajica is fantastic.

I love Imajica. I've been meaning to re-read them again sometime soon.

pathoftheturtle
03-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Imajica is fantastic.lol, interesting choice of words.
Ask.com Dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/):
fan·tas·tic –adjective
1. conceived or appearing as if conceived by an unrestrained imagination; odd and remarkable; bizarre; grotesque
2. fanciful or capricious, as persons or their ideas or actions
3. imaginary or groundless in not being based on reality; foolish or irrational
4. extravagantly fanciful; marvelous.
5. incredibly great or extreme; exorbitant
6. highly unrealistic or impractical; outlandish
7. Informal. extraordinarily good

Ageless Stranger
03-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Did you like it?:

It passed the time of day I guess. I will probably never read it again. Say sorry.

Darkthoughts
03-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Aw, shame. I really enjoyed it. What do you think it was about it, or rather, what did it lack to make it a better read for you?

Brice
03-24-2010, 05:48 AM
Imajica is fantastic.lol, interesting choice of words.
Ask.com Dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/):
fan·tas·tic –adjective
1. conceived or appearing as if conceived by an unrestrained imagination; odd and remarkable; bizarre; grotesque
2. fanciful or capricious, as persons or their ideas or actions
3. imaginary or groundless in not being based on reality; foolish or irrational
4. extravagantly fanciful; marvelous.
5. incredibly great or extreme; exorbitant
6. highly unrealistic or impractical; outlandish
7. Informal. extraordinarily good

;)

WeDealInLead
03-24-2010, 11:05 AM
I just finished "The Last Colony" by John Scalzi. I loved it. It's nothing mind-blowing but it kept me entertained enough that I read around 220 pages in one sitting.

I'm reading the uncut version of The Stand right now. I'm terrifed of the size of it. Normally I read 4-5 books a month (+ a million comics and graphic novels) but this mammoth is sure to change that.

Edit: I change my mind on The Stand. I go on tour with my band on Friday and I don't feel like taking the hardcover in the van. It's too bulky and I also don't want someone to ruin it somehow so I'm taking Dark Masques instead.

candy
03-24-2010, 11:16 AM
grim tuesday

Eric719691
03-24-2010, 12:30 PM
I am trying to do a re-read of the DT series with all related books. Right now I am reading the Stand, one of my all time favorite King books.

Jean
03-24-2010, 12:37 PM
I am trying to do a re-read of the DT series with all related books. Right now I am reading the Stand, one of my all time favorite King books.
I wish someone who is as capable of statistic thinking as pablo would make a research, at least an approximate one, on:

how many times during a lifetime it is possible to make a whole reread with all related books -
- at an average speed
- for a slow reader
- for a fast reader
all of the above:
- not reading anything else but
- doing average amount of reading along with the Dt books
- doing bigger than average amount of '' '' '' '' ''
- ditto in several languages

Daghain
03-24-2010, 01:09 PM
First, you'd have to define slow reader, fast reader, etc. I'd base it on pages-per-day, myself.

Daghain
03-24-2010, 04:57 PM
FINALLY finished my reread of Insomnia and am now reading I See Rude People: One woman's battle to beat some manners into impolite society by Amy Alkon.

Jean
03-25-2010, 01:32 AM
First, you'd have to define slow reader, fast reader, etc. I'd base it on pages-per-day, myself.
oh, there're other complications, too. That's why I said: someone like pablo, not someone like a bear...

Daghain
03-25-2010, 07:07 AM
I might be able to do it, but I am far, far too lazy. :lol:

Ageless Stranger
03-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Aw, shame. I really enjoyed it. What do you think it was about it, or rather, what did it lack to make it a better read for you?

I'm not sure, It just seemed to take a long time to get rolling for such a short book.

Lisey's Story Spoiler
The other (hush) thing that (hush Ageless) bothered (hush now) me was how he kept (You stop that) breaking up the text. Just made me want to scream. I was glad when she decide to remember the shit and that quit happening. ;)

Just my opinion, and you know what they say about those. :D

Darkthoughts
03-25-2010, 07:58 AM
:lol: at the bit in spoiler tags! I know all the "babyluvs" and "sowisas" grated on some people's nerves too. I didn't mind the slow build up, but it was definately slow. Kinda like Insomnia - I love that book too, but the pace spoils it for some.

That's cool anyway, I'm always interested in a different opinion to mine :couple:

Ageless Stranger
03-25-2010, 08:09 AM
:lol: at the bit in spoiler tags! I know all the "babyluvs" and "sowisas" grated on some people's nerves too.

I know, right?

That's cool anyway, I'm always interested in a different opinion to mine :couple:

:grouphug:

Celtic Bear
03-25-2010, 11:07 AM
23 Hours by David Wellington (which is a sequel to his 13 Bullets).

Both are kickass vampire books in which the vampires are terrifying fiends rather than sparkly emo boyfriends.

John Blaze
03-25-2010, 11:22 AM
I like that. The sparkly thing is so stupid I can't even begin to explain how much I hate Twilight.

Jean
03-25-2010, 11:44 AM
:lol: at the bit in spoiler tags! I know all the "babyluvs" and "sowisas" grated on some people's nerves too. I didn't mind the slow build up, but it was definately slow. Kinda like Insomnia - I love that book too, but the pace spoils it for some.
Lisa. If Insomnia was written the way LS was ("She raised her right foot, in the blue slipper Scott had given her on that day when they came to the little town of NN whose sheriff was a tall bald man with rounded shoulders, moved it forward, put it to the ground and shifted her weight so it was balanced on her right foot, then she raised her left foot, in the blue slipper Scott had given her on that day when they came to the little town of NN whose sheriff was a tall bald man with rounded shoulders, moved it forward, put it to the ground and shifted her weight so it was balanced on her left foot, then she raised her right foot..."), it would have taken about eighty thousand pages. In Insomnia the above process would be described as "he walked on", and all slowness is due to careful development, not to pointless repetitions.

High_Desert_Gunslinger
03-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Currently reading Cell. And for spring break I am going camping 6 hours away so I will have plenty of reading time so I also have the Duma Key and Under the Dome for after. Its my first time reading all three

Darkthoughts
03-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Both are kickass vampire books in which the vampires are terrifying fiends rather than sparkly emo boyfriends.
:lol: Quote of the week!!

If Insomnia was written the way LS was ("She raised her right foot, in the blue slipper Scott had given her on that day when they came to the little town of NN whose sheriff was a tall bald man with rounded shoulders, moved it forward, put it to the ground and shifted her weight so it was balanced on her right foot, then she raised her left foot, in the blue slipper Scott had given her on that day when they came to the little town of NN whose sheriff was a tall bald man with rounded shoulders, moved it forward, put it to the ground and shifted her weight so it was balanced on her left foot, then she raised her right foot..."), it would have taken about eighty thousand pages.
:lol: I cannot have a bad word said about Lisey's Story...unless they are the words of a sarcastic and highly amusing Bear :D

John_and_Yoko
03-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Currently reading Third Wish by Robert Fulghum, of All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten fame.

SigTauGimp
03-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Was going to start on the sixth book of The Elric Saga, by Michael Moorcock...got my e-book copy, and misspellings are everywhere.

Seriously.

I read 25 pages or so, and only saw the name "Elric" spelled correctly once....at the beginning, right before the chapter listing. >_<

Now I'm gonna have to wait until my order finally comes in of the 3 Elric Saga omnibuses before I can finish it.

In the meantime, reading short stories here and there...some Stephen King, Issac Asimov, R.A. Salvatore.

pathoftheturtle
03-26-2010, 07:19 AM
I wish someone who is as capable of statistic thinking as pablo would make a research, at least an approximate one, on:

how many times during a lifetime it is possible to make a whole reread with all related books 19

:P

ManOfWesternesse
03-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Still on my current LotR re-read.
On Amon Hen, just after Boromir got a little carried away with himself.

Dagavidiab
03-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Right now:

- A Choice of Catastrophes: The Disasters That Threaten Our World. Isaac Asimov (non fiction)
- Dearly Devoted Dexter. Jeff Lindsay
- The Gunslinger. SK (the revised issue)

And more important, the reason for my first post in this thread:

- The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born. Graphic Novel

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6812/p1060480s.th.jpg (http://img191.imageshack.us/i/p1060480s.jpg/)

I´m making a big deal of this, because found this in my country is extremely rare... At least i have the first one!!!!!

Hannah
03-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Cool, Daga! I hope you like it. :)

I'm not sure which one I should start of all the books I have in my "to read" list. I finally finished the book I've been plodding away on for almost three months though!

Ageless Stranger
03-26-2010, 07:45 AM

how many times during a lifetime it is possible to make a whole reread with all related books 19

:rofl:

fernandito
03-26-2010, 07:49 AM

I'm on my first (!) read through of LoTR , and now I finally know where you got ManOfWesternesse from :)

ManOfWesternesse
03-26-2010, 07:53 AM

I'm on my first (!) read through of LoTR , and now I finally know where you got ManOfWesternesse from :)

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: - enjoy!

Kronz
03-26-2010, 02:14 PM
I just spent all winter reading/re-reading about 7000 pages of King (UtD, all DT books, It, The Stand, Blaze and Buick 8, I think) so I am now enjoying a break with The Hobbit. I got that nice gigantic Harper Collins LotR omnibus hardcover a few years ago and have decided to read that copy even if I am worried the spine is gonna crack and spill all the pages. The other copies I've always read were the original Authorized Eds from the 60s, invariably on yellowed paper in cheaply set print. This newer version might look like a giant King James (and weigh as much) but I am getting used to that after reading hardback copies of It and The Stand. I know it seems stupid but I really enjoy reading books more in nice typeset on clean paper.

boq
03-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Tolkien too! I've just completed a leisurly read of "The Lord of the Rings". I haven't read it in maybe 15 years, and I think I've only read "The Return of the King" once before. I've been so engrossed in Middle-Earth, I'm missing my friends already.
Was also interesting to be able to see the tweeks Peter Jackson made to the tale for his movie adaptation. The films are great in my opinion, but Tolkien's writing is completely absorbing :clap:

Woofer
03-27-2010, 08:07 PM
I haven't been here in quite a while. Wow guys. There are some great books in here.

I think you'll find H2G2 has quite the following here, BTW.

Jean, loved the blue slipper description. I think that we should use that henceforth to indicate the overly tedious.
"So how was Sister Carrie?"
"Well, I really liked the idea, but at times it was just a bit too blue slipper for its own good."

I'm reading Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters - finally!

Jean
03-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Woofer: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

Daghain
03-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Oh, that's great. Blue slipper. I'm going to have to remember that one!

Dagavidiab
03-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Cool, Daga! I hope you like it. :)

I'm not sure which one I should start of all the books I have in my "to read" list. I finally finished the book I've been plodding away on for almost three months though!

Thanks! But call me David.
Found this comics is as hard and wear as found a first edition of IT signed by SK in a book store... In offer!!!

Is nice to have a "to read" list no? Ihave in my list a couple of Koontz, a SK, an a bunch of Sci-Fi books

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Still reading Lisey's Story. (sort of)

In the meantime, I am reading Push. (The book for the movie Precious)

Brice
03-28-2010, 06:16 PM

I'm currently in my 7th or 8th reread of the whole series. As for reading them individually I don't know. I've probably read ALL of the related books three or four tmes total...so I guess that means I get to live a bit still. That aside from the fact that I'm working through rereading all of King's works in published order.

I'm also now reading Knowing Darkness Artists Inspired By Stephen King and Reel Terror which is a collection of short stories which inspired famous horror movies. Oh yeah and a Doctor Hunter Thompson bio plus everything else previously mentioned which hasn't been added to my book list yet.

Riostar
03-28-2010, 07:48 PM
What are all the books that are related to the Dt series? I know quite a few but I don't think I know them all and I would like to get the ones I may not have to complete my set.

John Blaze
03-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Stephen_King_works_related_to_The_Dark_Tower_serie s (http://Stephen_King_works_related_to_The_Dark_Tower_serie s)

check that out. Should help you out.

Riostar
03-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Thank you!

John Blaze
03-28-2010, 08:54 PM
always a pleasure to help out.

Riostar
03-28-2010, 10:53 PM
there are quite a few I don't have, I know what I'm buying with my tax money. :)

Tito_Villa
03-29-2010, 01:28 AM
I'm re-reading Joe Hill's "Horns", a different book to "Heart Shaped Box" but its still a fantastic read!!!

mae
03-29-2010, 04:44 AM
Stephen_King_works_related_to_The_Dark_Tower_serie s (http://Stephen_King_works_related_to_The_Dark_Tower_serie s)

check that out. Should help you out.

That link seems to go nowhere.

John Blaze
03-29-2010, 08:43 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King_works_related_to_The_Dark_Tower_serie s

hmm, weird, it was working yesterday. Well there it is again, whole link this time, so it won't run off.

Daghain
03-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Just finished I See Rude People by Amy Alkon and am now reading Stop in the Name of Pants! (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson) by Louise Rennison

Heather19
03-29-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm also now reading Knowing Darkness Artists Inspired By Stephen King and Reel Terror which is a collection of short stories which inspired famous horror movies. Oh yeah and a Doctor Hunter Thompson bio plus everything else previously mentioned which hasn't been added to my book list yet.

That sounds interesting. Is it a good collection?

Ageless Stranger
03-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Took a few days off after finishing Lisey's Story, tonight, I start Cujo.

jhanic
03-30-2010, 03:46 AM
I'm in my umpteenth reread of the Harry Potter series. I'm about 3/4 the way through Prisoner of Azkaban. I'd like to finish the entire series before April 20, when King's newest comes out.

John

Brice
03-30-2010, 03:59 AM

That sounds interesting. Is it a good collection?

It is! :) It contains: Duel by Richard Matheson, Spurs by Tod Robbins, While Zombies Walk by Thorpe McClusky, We Can Remember It For You Wholesale by Philip K. Dick, The Fly by George Langelaan, The Swimmer by John Cheever, The Beast With Five Fingers by William Fryer Harver, The Company Of Wolves by Angela Carter, The Golem by I. L.Peretz, Lucy Comes To Stay by Robert Bloch, The Color Out Of Space by H. P. Lovecraft, and It's A Good Life by Jerome Bixby.

cozener
04-01-2010, 05:43 AM
Just read I am Legend. Good little story. But it begs to be expanded upon. The story itself is short but I envision it as a prequel to something much larger...almost like the Hobbit was to LotR.

Ageless Stranger
04-01-2010, 06:16 AM
I can see that. I really enjoyed it too. :thumbsup:

SigTauGimp
04-02-2010, 12:32 AM
About to start The Name Of The Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. :D Lots of recommendations from other fantasy friends to pick this one up.

Mike Beck
04-02-2010, 06:04 AM
I am most of the way through a book called The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. And i dig it very much. I picked it up cause i liked the cover, so i kind of judged a book by its cover, i'm sorry to say. but it ended up being a good choice. AND Mr. Stephen King said some nice things about it on the back of the book. ;)

Matt
04-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Sounds good. I made a deal with my daughter that I would read the first book in the Sword of Truth series if she would read Pillars of the Earth.

It's good so far, I like my wizards Tolkien but it's working okay.

Honkmafah
04-02-2010, 07:32 PM
The Dark Tower III: The Wastelands

Ruthful
04-04-2010, 01:37 PM
http://frontpagemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/cracking_horowitz_lg1.jpg

cody44
04-04-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm still working on Crime and Punishment, but have recently started reading On Writing.

candy
04-05-2010, 03:37 AM
Sir Thursday

Ageless Stranger
04-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Just finished Cujo, now I'm reading Four Past Midnight.

fernandito
04-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm still working on Crime and Punishment...

Started reading this a few months ago, but just could not get into it. I think I only read about 70 something pages. I'll probably give it another shot sometime soon.

Lily-sai
04-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm starting to think it's rather pointless to tell what I'm currently reading, as I devour all my books with a high speed. :unsure:

Anyway, I just finished Counter-Clock World by Philip K. Dick. I haven't read his books before, but I will definitely go and read more. :)

velcro_fly
04-05-2010, 04:10 PM
I am just starting Cycle of the Werewolf

Whiplash
04-05-2010, 05:27 PM
I am currently reading the fourth book of The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass. Loving every line! :panic:

John Blaze
04-05-2010, 06:19 PM
rereading ASOIAF....again. I've read a few books here and there, but I keep coming back to this. just can't think of anything else I'd rather read. The Malazan Book of the Fallen bored me already. Pale imitation of ASOIAF if you ask me, and Steve Erickson overreached.

fernandito
04-06-2010, 08:24 AM
I need to pick up A Feast For Crows.

John Blaze
04-06-2010, 04:26 PM
what? you don't have it? I now have all of the ASOIAF books, including the two Hedge Knight novellas and the two Hedge Knight graphic novels. I usually hate graphic novels, but it was kind of cool seeing the artist renditions of what the knights and battles looked like, compared to how I imagined them.

cody44
04-06-2010, 10:12 PM
I've just started Cujo.

Kevin
04-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Almost done The Amazing Adventures of Kavelier and Clay. Michael Chabon is an extremely talented writer, funny in a lot of ways but painfully human in others. I've also read The Yiddish Policemen's Union by him and he's fast becoming my second favorite author, second to Stephen King (of course).

Kronz
04-07-2010, 03:51 AM
I'm starting to think it's rather pointless to tell what I'm currently reading, as I devour all my books with a high speed. :unsure:

Anyway, I just finished Counter-Clock World by Philip K. Dick. I haven't read his books before, but I will definitely go and read more. :)

I've read a dozen or more of his books and almost all of them were great. My generic pick for his best is still Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (which became Blade Runner in the movies). It's one of the strangest and sad SF classics; though that describes most Phillip K. Dick probably.

Lily-sai
04-07-2010, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the tip! :)

mae
04-07-2010, 05:59 AM
Lily-sai, you should pick up the Dick Library of America volumes. Great books, we discussed them here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=3148

Kronz
04-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I did not know about those Dick omnibus editions...I've just added the first two into my Amazon cart. Thanks for that tip! The third volume I'll pass on since I own nice tpb's of most of the books in it anyways.

Daghain
04-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Just finished Stop in the Name of Pants! (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson) by Louise Rennison and am now reading The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 7) by Lemony Snicket.

Savvy
04-09-2010, 09:10 AM
just read Creed, James Herbet

mae
04-09-2010, 09:39 AM
This sounds like an interesting novel: http://www.amazon.com/dp/080212996X

The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ is the remarkable new piece of fiction from best-selling and famously atheistic author Philip Pullman. By challenging the events of the gospels, Pullman puts forward his own compelling and plausible version of the life of Jesus, and in so doing, does what all great books do: makes the reader ask questions.

In Pullman’s own words, “The story I tell comes out of the tension within the dual nature of Jesus Christ, but what I do with it is my responsibility alone. Parts of it read like a novel, parts like history, and parts like a fairy tale; I wanted it to be like that because it is, among other things, a story about how stories become stories.”

Written with unstinting authority, The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ is a pithy, erudite, subtle, and powerful book by a controversial and beloved author. It is a text to be read and reread, studied and unpacked, much like the Good Book itself.

jhanic
04-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Reading my ARC of Blockade Billy.

John

ladysai
04-09-2010, 07:14 PM
This sounds like an interesting novel: http://www.amazon.com/dp/080212996X

That does sound interesting! I loved the Dark Materials series; I'll have to check this new Pullman novel out.

I've just finished "A River in the Sky" by Elizabeth Peters, and am starting on some non-fiction for a change:
http://ebooks-imgs.connect.com/product/400/000/000/000/000/036/319/400000000000000036319_s4.jpg

John Blaze
04-10-2010, 04:29 AM
Done with Game Of Thrones, on to Clash of Kings!

Ricky
04-10-2010, 06:17 AM
now reading The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 7) by Lemony Snicket.

Have you read the series before, Daggers? It's one of my favorites, as LS is hilarious with his writing. :lol:

Old Man Splitfoot
04-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Been reading the Dresden Files since like February, in the middle of Turn Coat, which I think is like the tenth or eleventh in the series. Good stuff for sure, if you guys haven't checked out the Dresden Files, you should. And if your only exposure is through the Sci Fi TV series, don't let that stop you, the books are SO much better. But I guess I shouldn't have to tell people on a Stephen King board that the books are always better.

Ruthful
04-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Received this as a gift, just started reading it last night.

http://dontcallmemike.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/great-bridge.jpg

Whiplash
04-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Done with Game Of Thrones, on to Clash of Kings!

This seems like an interesting series...your thoughts on the first book?

John Blaze
04-11-2010, 04:57 AM
oh, this is my fourth reread. :P

I love the series, but got to say the first book is best. IMO, this is the best series of books ever. Or will be, if GRRM finishes them. Still waiting for Dance Of Dragons to come out. SK is still my favorite author, but only because his catalog is better, in total. This series is better than the DT series though, if you ask me.

Daghain
04-11-2010, 10:44 AM
now reading The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 7) by Lemony Snicket.

Have you read the series before, Daggers? It's one of my favorites, as LS is hilarious with his writing. :lol:

This is my first time through. I love these things, they're awesome!

Ricky
04-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Oh, then you'll love the upcoming ones. 7-13 are amazingly good.

Daghain
04-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Can't wait!

ManOfWesternesse
04-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Finished my latest LotR re-read.

Now reading Joe Hill - Horns.

Daghain
04-16-2010, 05:08 PM
The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book Eight) - Lemony Snicket

alinda
04-17-2010, 04:08 AM
All that remains
A Kay Scarpatta story by Pat Cornwell, found it in a hallway at work.:P

Ricky
04-17-2010, 07:03 AM
The Third Policeman

Totally weird, but very entertaining.

Yaksha
04-18-2010, 02:14 PM
I am on Chainfire of The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I have to admit it is an amazing series. I picked up the first one because it looked decent and ended up loving it

Jean
04-19-2010, 12:49 AM
bears are reading Under the Dome!!! they are loving every word of it!!!

Ageless Stranger
04-19-2010, 01:40 AM
WIN!

mae
04-19-2010, 06:20 AM

Finally! Were you able to get the US hardcover? It's such a cool-looking book.

Brice
04-19-2010, 06:44 AM
I'm reading the complete works of Lovecraft along with everything previously mentioned.

fernandito
04-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Currently reading : The Shack by William P. Young.

Heather19
04-19-2010, 07:31 AM

:couple: It's such a great book, you're going to love it.

Is it any good? I see it everytime I go to the bookstore.

Empath of the White
04-19-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm reading The Pirate King by R.A. Salvatore. Its nice to see that Drizzt's belief in intrinsic goodness and the greater good has finally bit him in the aft end. The tone's a lot different from his older dark elf books.

Kronz
04-19-2010, 07:52 PM
I am about half-way through Tolkien's Children of Hurin. It is rather anticlimactic since I've read at least two other versions of the story in the past but the book I have at least has really nice Alan Lee artwork. For a cobbled-together posthumously compiled novel, it's alright. You have to have a working knowledge of the Silmarillion though, otherwise it's full of names that would be totally confusing. It's the only writing of Tolkien's I've read that I say borders on badly composed, too.

John_and_Yoko
04-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Am currently reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

Riostar
04-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Reading The Neverending Story almost done.

John_and_Yoko
04-19-2010, 10:35 PM

How are you finding it?

Dagavidiab
04-20-2010, 07:33 AM

I really hate Coelho... jejeje

Reading Velocity by D. Koontz

Tito_Villa
04-20-2010, 07:36 AM
Trying to read It.

fernandito
04-20-2010, 07:38 AM

Is it any good? I see it everytime I go to the bookstore.

I'm only a few pages in, but so far so good. He writes with a very somber tone that I find alluring. I'll let you know what I thought of it once I finish it, it's a relatively short read :)

John_and_Yoko
04-20-2010, 09:54 AM

Um...why?

Dagavidiab
04-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Trying to read It.

Trying?????

Um...why?

I just do... It has to do with the "kind of reading", i read one of his books years ago, and i completly hate it. I also hate J.J. Benitez!!

Rubysoho
04-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Currently I'm in the middle of the series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. A Storm of Swords is the book I'm on now. If you dig sci-fi fantasy as much as I do than you should really look into the series. Someone suggested it to me a while ago and I've been flying through it.

Tito_Villa
04-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Dagavidiab
Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
Trying to read It.
Trying?????

Yeah i couldn't get into the book the first time and gave up after 50 pages, this time im going to read all the way through though!

Riostar
04-20-2010, 12:12 PM

How are you finding it?

i like it a lot. I like how they do the little off shoots of the story and tell you "oh this happened but that's another story for another time" it lets you make up all these possible stories in your head.
The second half of the story which basically takes over where the movie leaves off is very good. not what i was expecting really. Its got parts that remind you of the 2nd movie but a good rad.

John Blaze
04-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Currently I'm in the middle of the series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. A Storm of Swords is the book I'm on now. If you dig sci-fi fantasy as much as I do than you should really look into the series. Someone suggested it to me a while ago and I've been flying through it.
Some of us love that series so much we have our own thread for it on this forum. Search for it, and we can discuss it there.

I just made some new wallpapers for my work computer today, based on the series. :P If you could see my fb you'd see them.

Speaking of which, have you ever seen the artwork commissioned for the series? AWESOME!

Heather19
04-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Dagavidiab
Trying to read It.
Trying?????

Yeah i couldn't get into the book the first time and gave up after 50 pages, this time im going to read all the way through though!

Definitely continue on! I had a hard time getting into it on my first read, and didn't even make it past the first section of the story with all the phone calls. But the second time I picked it up, the second I got past that part of the story, I couldn't put it down. And it has since become my favorite story :)

ladysai
04-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Some of us love that series so much we have our own thread for it on this forum. Search for it, and we can discuss it there.
Yes, Ruby! Keep reading...you'll love every minute of it! Then find the Song of Ice and Fire thread and let us know what you think. ;)

I just made some new wallpapers for my work computer today, based on the series. :P If you could see my fb you'd see them.
Geez...aren't you special? :P

Bethany
04-20-2010, 06:38 PM
LOL! I, too, am in the middle of ASOIAF.

Letti
04-20-2010, 08:46 PM
I am at the end of Catch 22. I didn't think I would get to love the characters this much. :sigh:

Syncrosonix
04-20-2010, 09:28 PM
i am currently reading wizard and glass. i prefer to read one book at a time. after i've finished the series, i'll go on to read the inspector erlendur books i have waiting for me. they're written by arnaldur indridason. i've already read the draining lake. it left me saying "whoa!"

Letti
04-20-2010, 10:08 PM
i am currently reading wizard and glass. i prefer to read one book at a time. after i've finished the series, i'll go on to read the inspector erlendur books i have waiting for me. they're written by arnaldur indridason. i've already read the draining lake. it left me saying "whoa!"

I hope you will like it.
Be careful with the spoilers here.

Syncrosonix
04-21-2010, 06:05 AM

I hope you will like it.

word. gotcha! :)

Dagavidiab
04-21-2010, 06:23 AM
Dagavidiab
Trying to read It.
Trying?????

I know that it is a matter of perspective, but... It is an amazing book, end of discussion. Read it!

Tito_Villa
04-21-2010, 06:38 AM
I am doing :)

Letti
04-21-2010, 08:25 AM

I hope you will like it.

word. gotcha! :)

Anyway.. totally off topic but your av is a win.

pathoftheturtle
04-21-2010, 10:04 AM
You might want to mke it clear, Letti that that spoiler won't spoil W&G or anything for Syncrosonix so that he'll go ahead and click it! :)

How are you finding it?

i like it a lot. I like how they do the little off shoots of the story and tell you "oh this happened but that's another story for another time" it lets you make up all these possible stories in your head.
The second half of the story which basically takes over where the movie leaves off is very good. not what i was expecting really. Its got parts that remind you of the 2nd movie but a good rad.Yar. It's hard to understand why that movie didn't work. It pretty faithfully continued the original's story, yet it totally missed the thematic sum and it's frisson, somehow, unlike the first film. Anyway, I'm glad you haven't let it put you off from appreciating the book. It definitely gels all together in an awesome way. :D :wub:

Riostar
04-21-2010, 11:04 AM
[/QUOTE]Yar. It's hard to understand why that movie didn't work. It pretty faithfully continued the original's story, yet it totally missed the thematic sum and it's frisson, somehow, unlike the first film. Anyway, I'm glad you haven't let it put you off from appreciating the book. It definitely gels all together in an awesome way. :D :wub:[/QUOTE]

I would love to see a movie that has the Desert of Color or the Nightime Jungle, I think they would be awesome if done properly. They should re-make the 2nd never ending story and include all the bits that got left out.

John Blaze
04-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Yes, Ruby! Keep reading...you'll love every minute of it! Then find the Song of Ice and Fire thread and let us know what you think. ;)

Geez...aren't you special? :P You can see them if you want... my fb is a pm away! :)

And yes Ruby, JOIIINNNNNN USSSSSSSSSS................. :drool:

Jean
04-22-2010, 06:07 AM

Finally! Were you able to get the US hardcover? It's such a cool-looking book.

it is a hardcover - will constitute half my baggage, and Misha the other half - but you know how bears are, I have no idea what edition it is... will look into it tonight

:couple: It's such a great book, you're going to love it.

I do! I do! I want it to never end

WIN!

:: dancing bear::

Daghain
04-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Reading Conspiracies by F. Paul Wilson, the third in the Repairman Jack series.

ladysai
04-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Reading 'Firestarter'. It's been a long time since my first read of this one, and I'm rediscovering it all over again. Goodstuff!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Still reading Lisey's Story. haha

About to start my 4 th book while reading LS:
Slaughterhouse 5

candy
04-25-2010, 02:58 AM
lady friday

alinda
04-25-2010, 03:59 AM
:unsure: nothing but medical charting ....:cry:

Ageless Stranger
04-25-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm about to finish Different Seasons. I am pleasantly suprised. I was looking forward to The Body, becasue I've nearly worn out a VHS copy of Stand By Me since I was a kid, but finding The Shawshank Redemption was a welcome suprise!

alinda
04-25-2010, 07:36 AM
That's such a good book.:)

jhanic
04-25-2010, 09:12 AM
I think Different Seasons is King's best collection. Three of the four have been made into movies, and two of those three are classics! I agree--Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption is one of King's best works ever.

John

Ageless Stranger
04-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Which of the other two have been made into a movie?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Apt Pupil

Ageless Stranger
04-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Oh. That's what I'm reading right now.

Psst:
You thought I was going to say it but I didn't :lol:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-25-2010, 06:42 PM
It's the anticipation.:lol:

Bethany
04-25-2010, 07:09 PM
I am almost finished with the third book of ASOIAF. When I am done, I am going to finish Winds of War and then tackle War and Remembrance. I miss Natalie and Byron.

Ageless Stranger
04-25-2010, 07:22 PM

Wait for it. Wait for it.Wait for it.That's what she said!JK :PMotherfuckin' popsicles bitch!:lol:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-25-2010, 07:58 PM

Wait for it. Wait for it.Wait for it.That's what she said!JK :PMotherfuckin' popsicles bitch!:lol:

BDKBMMFMP

Ageless Stranger
04-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Do I want to know?

Yes.Bitches don't know bout my motherfuckin' mega popsicles? (Bitch)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Do I want to know?

Yes.Bitches don't know bout my motherfuckin' mega popsicles? (Bitch)

Mega meat :thumbsup:

Ageless Stranger
04-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Oh man! I just had to hold a conference call! Too funny man. :thumbsup:

John Blaze
04-25-2010, 11:56 PM
You guys are crazy! :lol:

I am almost finished with the third book of ASOIAF. When I am done, I am going to finish Winds of War and then tackle War and Remembrance. I miss Natalie and Byron.

I'm glad I was able to push my love of those books onto you. Both the War books and the ASOIAF books. :) :couple:

as for me, I'm currently reading Angelology and A Clash of Kings.

Ageless Stranger
04-26-2010, 12:14 AM

I know, right?

It dosen't help that part of the above conversation occured via PM. Say sorry. :rolleyes:

Jean
04-26-2010, 05:54 AM
::cough cough::

when the bear is away, it does NOT automatically mean off-topicality can last forever

remember, bears see everything

About to start my 4 th book while reading LS
I wonder if you'll beat my record.

giggler5
04-26-2010, 05:57 AM
started "eyes of the dragon" yesterday. i'm about 1/4 of the way through...solid book. i was gonna start "boy's life", but my sister likes to take my books and movies from me without asking. most of my book collection is at her apartment, somehow. :arg:

Ruthful
04-26-2010, 03:32 PM
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/files/2009/05/thugs.jpg

Ageless Stranger
04-26-2010, 04:02 PM
::cough cough::

when the bear is away, it does NOT automatically mean off-topicality can last forever

remember, bears see everything

Cry your pardon!

Heather19
04-26-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm about to finish Different Seasons. I am pleasantly suprised. I was looking forward to The Body, becasue I've nearly worn out a VHS copy of Stand By Me since I was a kid, but finding The Shawshank Redemption was a welcome suprise!

One of my favorites!
How are you liking Apt Pupil? It's such a good story, but easily one of King's most disturbing.

Ageless Stranger
04-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Heather,
So far I am enjoying it. It is quite disturbing though. I will say that I really have no idea where he's going with the story, so that makes it more interesting. I just got past the part where:

He has to bust his ass to keep from getting a flunk card. He just tried to sneak up behind the old man to push him down the stairs and the he told him about the safety deposit box.

So, yeah, I'm enjoying it. Thanks for asking!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Man, finally, Lisey's Story has started to get into a story with some meat on it. About 250 pages into it and we get into Paul and Scotts backstory. I have shot through a 150 pages in one sitting. Maybe the first 100 pages or so should have been eliminated.

I was about to give up.

Slaughter-house-five isn't bad. This is my only Vonnegut so far. Can anyone tell me if this crazy flash forward/backwar/sideways style is prominent in all of his books. It's very distracting from his otherwise very readable style.

Kronz
04-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Slaughterhouse 5 is by far the most strangely written KV novel. Only Breakfast of Champions really gives it a run for its money in terms of out and out weird. For more normal KV books which are excellent try Mother Night, Galapagos or Cat's Cradle. His later books often find him repeating themes a lot and should be saved for last (aside from the aforementioned Galapagos). Slaughterhouse 5 is one of his great books but it's not particularly the best place to start.

Ruthful
04-26-2010, 07:51 PM
The best Vonnegut novel is Cat's Cradle.

Mother Night is also regarded as one of his better works, but I've never had the opportunity to read it.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info Kronz, Slaughterhouse 5 is enjoyable, but I don't like the plot device of the main character being at all times in his life at once. Everytime I start to get into a part, it switches to something completely different.

In fact, Monty Python keeps coming to mind....."And now for something completely different"

SH-5 was recommended to me by someone I work with who's favorite author is KV. I had never even heard of KV before this guy tried to turn me on to it. I asked him where I should start, and he insisted on SH-5.

Kronz
04-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Well as far as a lot of literary types are concerned, the weirder and more symbolic a book, the better. I don't fall for that trick, I like to understand what I've read. SH5 takes the most work to sort out and is more surreal than Vonnegut usually is. His books are almost all weird, but he has at least one straightforward novel in Mother Night, a brilliant and depressing novel about a Nazi war criminal hiding in the States (probably a major influence on Apt Pupil actually).

Daghain
04-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Oh, you guys are making me want to go back and reread Vonnegut again. It's been a loooong time.

pathoftheturtle
04-27-2010, 12:28 PM

I'm glad I was able to push my love of those books onto you. ...Hey, BTW, JB; thanks so much for also pushing your love of them onto me! :wub:
...So far I am enjoying ("Apt Pupil"). It is quite disturbing though. I will say that I really have no idea where he's going with the story, so that makes it more interesting. ...Yeah, it's a great thriller. Hope you like the way it turns out! Then you can watch the movie and be in with those of us who understand how inferior it is to King's novella.
...Slaughterhouse 5 is enjoyable, but I don't like the plot device of the main character being at all times in his life at once. Everytime I start to get into a part, it switches to something completely different.
...Oh, I loved that. Not the main thing that makes that book so good, but still...
I'm real sorry to hear that it just bugs you.<_<

fernandito
04-27-2010, 01:21 PM
I want to read some more Vonnegut. I've only read Sirens of Titan by him, which I enjoyed immensely. I'm thinking I'll pick up either Mother Night or Slaughterhouse-Five next.

John Blaze
04-27-2010, 05:50 PM

I'm glad I was able to push my love of those books onto you. ...Hey, BTW, JB; thanks so much for also pushing your love of them onto me! :wub:
Really? The War books, or the Song books?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-27-2010, 05:56 PM
What is ASOIAF?

Brice
04-27-2010, 05:57 PM
A song of ice and fire, I believe.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-27-2010, 06:00 PM
A song of ice and fire, I believe.

Thanks, Brice.

*heads to Google*

Edit: Ahhh yes, this is the series that my buddy has been raving about for the last year or so. I know it by " that George RR Martin series that I must read".

John Blaze
04-27-2010, 06:14 PM
What is ASOIAF?
Only the best series ever! You need to read it.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-27-2010, 06:27 PM
What is ASOIAF?
Only the second best series ever! You need to read it.

Fixed that for you, cause it is not better than DT......even though I haven't read it.

Bethany
04-27-2010, 07:44 PM
What is ASOIAF?

Fixed that for you, cause it is not better than DT......even though I haven't read it.

Oooh, I'm not so certain about this.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-27-2010, 07:51 PM
What is ASOIAF?

Oooh, I'm not so certain about this.

I'm pretty certain that nothing will ever measure up to the DT series as a whole....for me that is.

As for Slaughterhouse-5, this passage will save the book no matter what.

"Billy coughed when the door was opened, and when he coughed, he shit thin gruel. This was in accordance with the Thirl Law of Motion according to Sir Isaac Newton. This law tells us for every action there is a reaction that is equal and opposite in direction.
This can be useful in rocketry.":wtf:

John Blaze
04-27-2010, 08:21 PM
dude, I used to think nothing was better than the whole DT series, but this series is. I'm still SK>Martin, but it's becoming a close thing.

speaking of which, anyone here read Fevre Dream yet?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-27-2010, 08:39 PM
No, but it is a title that I have been on the lookout for for awhile now.

John Blaze
04-27-2010, 08:46 PM
I had given up on vampire novels for a long time, mostly because this Twilight crap soured me on them, but I want to read this one.

SynysterSaint
04-27-2010, 09:27 PM
I finished The Stand a few days ago, and now I'm starting Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-27-2010, 09:31 PM
What did you think of the Stand? On par with the high praise that everyone has given it....or falling short of the legend?

SynysterSaint
04-27-2010, 09:49 PM
What did you think of the Stand? On par with the high praise that everyone has given it....or falling short of the legend?

I absolutely loved it! I read the unabridged version, and I couldn't imagine how omitting any of it for the sake of "length" could help. The characters were brilliantly filled out, and their backgrounds were fantastic. All of them felt real to me. I think it's a testament to King's ability to make characters that Tom Cullen and Nick Andros were two of my favorites. Most authors make people who are retarded or have serious disabilities, such as being deaf and dumb, a liability for the other characters. Instead, King turned them into their own people and made them steeples of the story. Cullen and Andros are two of my favorite characters out of every book I've read, with Andros probably being my favorite character ever. I have to admit though: I hated Frannie. If you go into The Stand thread, you'll see the extent of my hate for her. My only real criticism of the book is: Frannie didn't die :lol:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Agreed on all fronts. Nick and Tom were my two favorites from Boulder, and I couldn't help but like Trashy too. Also, ditto on Frannie.

With the exception of the scene where she is trying to bury her father...I found that rather touching.

SynysterSaint
04-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Agreed on all fronts. Nick and Tom were my two favorites from Boulder, and I couldn't help but like Trashy too. Also, ditto on Frannie.

With the exception of the scene where she is trying to bury her father...I found that rather touching.

I loved Trashy. I think that's why the thought of shortening the book gets on my nerves so much; Trashcan Man's story would have been scarred, as King himself puts it.

Frannie burying her father definitely hit me hard, but I think that's the scene that made me really start hating her, too. All she talked about before that was how much she hated Jess and everyone else... except her father. I think the only reason she felt bad about his death was because he wouldn't be there to do things for her anymore. People in the Best Couple Nominations thread placed Stu and Frannie in there, but I think that the best couples were Lucy and Larry and then Tom and Nick. Reading about every interaction between Tom and Nick, I was reminded very heavily of the connection between Jake and Roland, respectively. Call me crazy, but Nick seemed to be the, albeit very unlikely, father to Tom that Roland was for Jake.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Interesting. M-O-O-N, that spells interesting.

Tom and Nick is a good analogy with Roland and Jake, but Tom was more innocent than Jake and Nick is a lot softer and more gentle than Roland. But the dynamics of the relationship is essentially the same.

SynysterSaint
04-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Interesting. M-O-O-N, that spells interesting.

Tom and Nick is a good analogy with Roland and Jake, but Tom was more innocent than Jake and Nick is a lot softer and more gentle than Roland. But the dynamics of the relationship is essentially the same.

See, that's what I thought at first, too. But I see them as a Jake/Roland in another loop, if indeed Jake shows up in consecutive loops. Just a thought.

John_and_Yoko
04-28-2010, 12:01 AM
I hope this isn't too off-topic, but....

I've never gotten into a lot of fantasy series (it took reading wikipedia summaries of the entire Dark Tower series to get me interested not only in that, but in Stephen King, period), and the reason used to be that I was afraid to LIKE them.

More specifically, to love them enough that I couldn't wait until the next installment (which is why I'm glad I didn't come to The Dark Tower until it was already finished). I can't really conceive of waiting YEARS for each new book in a series I love, let alone waiting YEARS for the series to conclude (and all the while the specter of the writer's mortality looming large with the later installments).

Now, however, I have the opposite fear--fear of liking the first installments enough that I want more BUT that the author either can't or won't keep up the quality in later installments, and the last GOOD volume just begged for resolution, so that it's either read the bad final volumes or constantly speculate over what might have been but never have it (and I'm not good at fan-fiction).

I've been looking up a lot of fantasy series that people have mentioned here, and that I've heard a lot about but never known much about other than the titles. But since I look at negative as well as positive reviews on amazon.com (besides looking at wikipedia summaries--so sue me, I like spoilers), I keep finding deal-breakers.

Having said that, and hoping I don't sound like my standards are impossible to fulfill, can anyone recommend a fantasy series that is complete, and that contains good quality that is maintained throughout the series from beginning to end, without dipping into unforgivable territory (heck, even the best writers have their slow days)?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-28-2010, 12:08 AM
I assume that you have read LotR?

John_and_Yoko
04-28-2010, 12:11 AM
I assume that you have read LotR?

Well, I don't consider it a book series, exactly, but yes, I have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and even The Children of Hurin.

SynysterSaint
04-28-2010, 12:11 AM
I second Lord of the Rings. It is probably the best, most consistent series I have ever read.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-28-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm tapped then, LotR and DT are the only two Fantasy series that I have read.

SynysterSaint
04-28-2010, 12:20 AM
Hmm, I hear Hitchhiker's is worth a read-through, but I refuse to touch it simply because of the hype.

John_and_Yoko
04-28-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm tapped then, LotR and DT are the only two Fantasy series that I have read.

:lol: I've read those and the Harry Potter books, and The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Once and Future King (and the Space Odyssey series, although those were really science fiction rather than fantasy, and I can't really think of much else I've read that I would consider a book series (even if it were meant to be a single narrative, as most of those were)....

The only other one I've read is for a kid audience, the Silverwing series.

Huh--I guess I have read more than I thought I did.... I think I've kind of forgotten the point I was trying to make with this post.... :blush:

@SynysterSaint: :lol: I refused to touch the Harry Potter books when they first came out "simply because of the hype." But IS Hitchhiker's a book SERIES? (And more to the point, is it fantasy?)

SynysterSaint
04-28-2010, 12:29 AM
It's five books long, actually. Only the first one is titled HHGttG. And yes, they are science fiction which is basically fantasy. Just futuristic fantasy :lol:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-28-2010, 12:42 AM
I've read the first two harry potter books, but I read them in spanish, which is slow going for me as it is a second language. I will someday complete the series (in spanish) but I expect it to take a while.

I have considered several book series, but have not gotten to them:
Dune
HHGttG
Space Odyssey

So many books, such a short lifetime.

SynysterSaint
04-28-2010, 12:52 AM
Just throwing this out there, but I hated the seventh book in the Harry Potter series aside from the last third or so. Before that, I just found it boring. Every other second of every other book, though, is just fantastic. Rowling knows how to write a goddamn book :lol:

John_and_Yoko
04-28-2010, 01:45 AM
Just throwing this out there, but I hated the seventh book in the Harry Potter series aside from the last third or so. Before that, I just found it boring. Every other second of every other book, though, is just fantastic. Rowling knows how to write a goddamn book :lol:

You're not alone.

I haven't read the Dune books (although I have the first three installments), but I have seen the two miniseries Frank Herbert's Dune and Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. I'm not entirely sure, having seen those, that I'll like the Dune books, but I intend to read them at some point, so I HOPE I do like them....

(And you read them in Spanish? Why?)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-28-2010, 02:22 AM

You're not alone.

I haven't read the Dune books (although I have the first three installments), but I have seen the two miniseries Frank Herbert's Dune and Frank Herbert's Children of Dune. I'm not entirely sure, having seen those, that I'll like the Dune books, but I intend to read them at some point, so I HOPE I do like them....

I have been trying to learn spanish for many years. I have a very large vocabulary in spanish, but still can't seem to communicate like a native speaker. There are many subtle nuances to language that are very difficult to pick up on, unless you immerse yourself in the language. Since immersing myself in the spoken language (i.e. moving to a completely spanish speaking environment) is impracticle for me, The next best thing is to read books in spanish. I chose the Harry Potter books because they are on a teen level, thus they are not too simple, and not too difficult. It is a good way to perfect a second language.

Dagavidiab
04-28-2010, 07:56 AM

You're not alone.

I have been trying to learn spanish for many years. I have a very large vocabulary in spanish, but still can't seem to communicate like a native speaker. There are many subtle nuances to language that are very difficult to pick up on, unless you immerse yourself in the language. Since immersing myself in the spoken language (i.e. moving to a completely spanish speaking environment) is impracticle for me, The next best thing is to read books in spanish. I chose the Harry Potter books because they are on a teen level, thus they are not too simple, and not too difficult. It is a good way to perfect a second language.

Amigo!! Si el castellano (en mi lengua, al decir Español te refieres castellano hablado con acento de España) es bastante fácil!!!! El ingles es el bizarro, se escriben muchas palabras con un orden distinto al significado, por ejemplo, Harry's snitch, que significa, la snitch de Harry, como ves, al revés!!!!!

Anyway.... Starting Lisey's Story... otro ejemplo!: La Historia de Lisey...

Brice
04-28-2010, 10:34 AM
dude, I used to think nothing was better than the whole DT series, but this series is. I'm still SK>Martin, but it's becoming a close thing.

Yes, and Feev will back me up on this...it is excellent.

I'm reading The Brains Of Rats by Michael Blumlein.

John Blaze
04-28-2010, 12:35 PM

Yes, and Feev will back me up on this...it is excellent.

I'm reading The Brains Of Rats by Michael Blumlein.

I'll head to the book store in a minute. :D

I also ordered Warriors about 3 days ago, I hope I get it by friday. It has the third and newest novella in the Tales of Dunk and Egg series prequel to the ASOIAF series. These are really getting me throught the waiting for Dance.

Kronz
04-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Reading A Scanner, Darkly by Philip K. Dick.

I hate that I relate to this book so much, but it also makes it fascinating. The reason I hate relating to it is that it's full of bottom feeding drug addict scum that are very similar to people I've had to deal with over the years. Great book so far anyway, especially if you are familiar with the American counter-culture.

Ricky
04-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Just started reading Horns by Joe Hill. Pretty good so far.

Brice
04-28-2010, 03:52 PM
SS, ignore the hype and just go read the hitchhiker's guide.

SynysterSaint
04-28-2010, 10:05 PM
It's really that good? Another thing that puts me off is how many children enjoy it, and the fact that it's labeled a "teen" book. I usually end up destroying or throwing away "teen" books after I finish reading them. They're so offensive! They use horribly small vernacular and act like teenagers are mindless drones who are forced to read and do not read of their own free will.

pathoftheturtle
04-29-2010, 07:20 AM

Really? The War books, or the Song books?lol, I'm not surprised that you don't remember; it's been a couple years since you recommended War and Remembrance to me. (back on tdt.net! :lol:) I'm only now starting it; just recently finished Winds of War. Great stuff, anyhow. Thankee-sai. :)
It's really that good? Another thing that puts me off is how many children enjoy it, and the fact that it's labeled a "teen" book. I usually end up destroying or throwing away "teen" books after I finish reading them. They're so offensive! They use horribly small vernacular and act like teenagers are mindless drones who are forced to read and do not read of their own free will.They're not like that at all. Definitely pleasant to read, and yes, good.:thumbsup: For all ages, though they especially appeal to the rebellious spirit.
It's five books long, actually. Only the first one is titled HHGttG. And yes, they are science fiction which is basically fantasy. Just futuristic fantasy :lol:1. They're more fantasy than science fiction, IMO... kind of. Actually, they're satire. Comedy. Pro-scientific, perhaps... or not. Anyway, it's not the point, and they're not really like straight fantasy or sci-fi in category. ;)
2. Five books or not, it isn't a series. It's a trilogy.:harrier:

John Blaze
04-29-2010, 09:06 AM

Really? The War books, or the Song books?lol, I'm not surprised that you don't remember; it's been a couple years since you recommended War and Remembrance to me. (back on tdt.net! :lol:) I'm only now starting it; just recently finished Winds of War. Great stuff, anyhow. Thankee-sai.
The War books are 2 of my favorite books ever! I've been pushing them on people for years, so sorry I didn't remember. I try to get EVERYONE to read them. :lol:

Brice
05-01-2010, 08:30 PM
It's really that good? Another thing that puts me off is how many children enjoy it, and the fact that it's labeled a "teen" book. I usually end up destroying or throwing away "teen" books after I finish reading them. They're so offensive! They use horribly small vernacular and act like teenagers are mindless drones who are forced to read and do not read of their own free will.

Absolutely that good...and definitely not children's or teen's books though they can of course be read and enjoyed by them (It is when I met them first). Just read them my friend. I'll be awaiting your thanks when you're done.

Oh, and path is right...definitely not a series...just an overzealous trilogy.

I'm currently reading (along with everything else) Mark Z. Danielewski's Only Revolutions:The Democracy Of Two Set Out And Chronologically Arranged. If House Of Leaves wasn't confusing and fucked up enough for you well, this is your book. :D

Ruthful
05-01-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm reading this:

http://www.isi.org/books/bookdetail.aspx?id=1367eab8-ad24-43e1-8835-30b91a09c6a5

and this:

http://www.glossmag.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/chelsea.jpg

velcro_fly
05-01-2010, 11:43 PM
I started reading "Just After Sunset", but I got so bored I gave up.
:orely:
I wonder if it's timed to give it another try?

John Blaze
05-02-2010, 02:27 AM
I'm reading this:

http://www.isi.org/books/bookdetail.aspx?id=1367eab8-ad24-43e1-8835-30b91a09c6a5

and this:

http://www.glossmag.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/chelsea.jpg:lol: I love Chelsea Handler, she's super funny.

turtlex
05-02-2010, 04:19 AM
Just got the ARC for the brand new, soon-to-be-released Linda Castillo book Pray For Silence ... the sequel to Sworn To Silence ... featuring Police Chief Kate Burkholder.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51p65qGdCCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm about 1/3 of the way through it and am liking it a lot.

Darkthoughts
05-02-2010, 04:26 AM
Hitchhiker's Guide really shouldn't be labelled a teen book, I mean there's nothing gratuitous in there that teens couldn't read, but Douglas Adams wrote it for adults.

It would be nice if you hadn't heard any hype, because I don't think you should expect too much from his books. They are very funny, especially if you enjoy/appreciate British humour, because Adams is a master of sarcasm and understatement, but you know, he wasn't trying to write an epic - they're just really good,easy reading.

If you like his style and want something slightly darker, his Dirk Gently books are fantastic.

And, sorry can't remember who mentioned having it on their "to read" pile, but Fevre Dream is completely excellent :clap:

Ruthful
05-02-2010, 07:22 AM
http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/dailyloaf/files/2009/06/pygmy.jpg

cody44
05-02-2010, 09:48 AM
I too strongly recommend the first Hitchhiker's book. I read it earlier this year and it is a fun read.

Ruthful
05-02-2010, 03:24 PM
:lol: I love Chelsea Handler, she's super funny.

Super-duper.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-02-2010, 03:49 PM

You're not alone.

Amigo!! Si el castellano (en mi lengua, al decir Español te refieres castellano hablado con acento de España) es bastante fácil!!!! El ingles es el bizarro, se escriben muchas palabras con un orden distinto al significado, por ejemplo, Harry's snitch, que significa, la snitch de Harry, como ves, al revés!!!!!

Anyway.... Starting Lisey's Story... otro ejemplo!: La Historia de Lisey...

Yo concuerdo. El Ingles es mas dificil que el Espanol. El Espanol tiene reglas sobre pronunciacion y un vocabulario limitado. El Ingles tiene muchas palabras con el significado mismo.

John Blaze
05-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Nope, spanish also has words that have many uses. Such as the word fuck in English.
YouTube- The 'F' Word

That being shown, almost done with my reread of ASOIAF. Angelology is starting very slow.

Brice
05-02-2010, 05:33 PM
I fucking love that fucking fuck video.

John Blaze
05-02-2010, 07:07 PM
fuck yeah! me too!

velcro_fly
05-02-2010, 10:32 PM
That is Fucking Awesome!:lol:

Dagavidiab
05-04-2010, 06:16 AM
John Blaze, there is no fucking word in Spanish that has the variety of uses as the "F" word... Plus that, in english exist a lot of words with the same pronunciation!

En conclusion, Castellano para el mundo!! :excited:

PS: cool video (cool is still a "cool" word in english?)

John Blaze
05-04-2010, 06:26 AM
I'll have to think on that, but I think I could find one.

fernandito
05-04-2010, 07:21 AM
John Blaze, there is no fucking word in Spanish that has the variety of uses as the "F" word... Plus that, in english exist a lot of words with the same pronunciation!

What about ... oraaaleeeeee ?!? :lol:

Jean
05-04-2010, 07:59 AM
have just finished The Fifth Child, by Doris Lessing. Very depressing.

Dagavidiab
05-04-2010, 10:04 AM

What about ... oraaaleeeeee ?!? :lol:

That word is from Mexico... Outside Mexico it has no use.

Heather19
05-04-2010, 04:56 PM
And I agree with everyone about Fevre Dream. One of the best books I've read in a long time. You'll love it JB :)

Kronz
05-04-2010, 07:38 PM
a friend of mine suggested an early PKD novel to me and it turns out it's one of the funniest novels I've ever read, it's practically like a bleaker Futurama
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/3338/clansofthealphanemoonfi.jpg

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Love the cover.

tipp-ed off
05-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Besides re-reading The Waste lands for the 3rd time I'm also giving Odd Thomas a 2nd time around. I wan't to check out the others in the series too if I can ever find the time.

Letti
05-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Reading Needful Things by you know very well whom. :) I loved the movie to pieces and I decided to read it, too. Are there any NT fans here? I haven't seen much talk about it.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-04-2010, 09:39 PM
I liked Needful Things. It is interesting to watch the evolution of the characters. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the end.

John Blaze
05-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Brian Rusk. :(

Needful Things is awesome. I didn't even know there was a movie.

Letti
05-04-2010, 11:02 PM
I liked Needful Things. It is interesting to watch the evolution of the characters. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the end.

I will come back as soon as I finish it. :)

Needful Things is awesome. I didn't even know there was a movie.

And it's a surprisingly good one.

ManOfWesternesse
05-05-2010, 05:18 AM
Needful Things was indeed good.

Most recent reads for me:-
Horns - Joe hill. - not bad, but not quite as good as Heart Shaped Box ?
Fallen Angels - Niven, Pournelle & Flynn. (a re-read, last read 10+ years ago)

Now reading:-
A Gift From earth - Larry Niven. (again a re-read at 10+ years)

Cujo56
05-05-2010, 08:08 AM
I'm trying to read Duma Key again.
I'm around page 150, but I am having so much trouble getting into it.
Last time I tried, I made it to page 120.
I really want to get through this book, but damn!
help?

Jean
05-05-2010, 08:47 AM
don't despair, Cujo, help is coming:

Duma Key is one of the best King books, goddamit!!!

...hope it helped...

mae
05-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Trouble getting into it? I found it to hook you from the first few pages. But that's just me.

Daghain
05-05-2010, 09:55 AM
I loved both Needful Things and Duma Key. Both are excellent, IMHO. :D

Cujo56
05-05-2010, 10:18 AM
I had the same problem with Insomnia. It took me 150-200 pages to get into that one, but at some point, I just got hooked and couldn't put the book down.

Darkthoughts
05-05-2010, 10:21 AM
have just finished The Fifth Child, by Doris Lessing. Very depressing.
I got halfway through The Golden Notebook and gave up for that very reason.

Reading Needful Things by you know very well whom. :) I loved the movie to pieces and I decided to read it, too. Are there any NT fans here? I haven't seen much talk about it.
Yes, it was very enjoyable - I especially enjoyed seeing Ace Merril again ;)

Most recent reads for me:-
Horns - Joe hill. - not bad, but not quite as good as Heart Shaped Box ?

I couldn't really choose between the two, i thought they were both 10/10 :couple:

Ricky
05-05-2010, 11:51 AM

Needful Things is in my top 5 King books ever. I absolutely loved every page of it. I too haven't heard too many positive remarks about it, so I hope that you enjoy the book as much as you did the movie.

The movie isn't my favorite, but M.V.S. was amazing as M. Gaunt.

pathoftheturtle
05-05-2010, 12:29 PM

Needful Things is in my top 5 King books ever. I absolutely loved every page of it. I too haven't heard too many positive remarks about it, so I hope that you enjoy the book as much as you did the movie.

The movie isn't my favorite, but M.V.S. was amazing as M. Gaunt.Well, here's one: It was WAY better than the movie. lol

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-05-2010, 08:41 PM
don't despair, Cujo, help is coming:

Duma Key is one of the best King books, goddamit!!!

...hope it helped...

Bears are not known for their tact.:doh:

I don't want to put words in our dear bear's mouth, but what I think he was trying to say was....

Finish reading Duma Key, and have good things to say about it, or you will be mauled.

Jean
05-05-2010, 10:52 PM
it's so great to see that there are people who really understand bears!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Messages/bear4bis.gif

mae
05-06-2010, 04:34 AM

And I hope you have graded it in our Constant Reader Awards, because it's up for voting right now. :excited:

Brice
05-06-2010, 05:14 AM
Letti, I loved both the book and movie of Needful Things. :couple: