PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

CPU
10-06-2009, 04:58 AM
An absolutely hilarious review of Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol.

I'm pretty sure it went down like this:, September 16, 2009
By Valannin "Pantheon Outcast"

Three years ago, Dan Brown and top executives in Hollywood and the publishing world assembled Thomas Harris, Dean Koontz, Michael Crichton, Paulo Coelho, Jimmy Wales, Abir Taha, and Rhonda Byrne in one room and said:

"Hello and welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Tonight you are being tasked with creating a novel of epic proportions - one that will keep multitudes of airline travelers mildly entertained for a few hours while simultaneously insulting the intelligence of anyone who possesses anything higher than a Bachelor's Degree in Communications. Gripping intrigue; explosive revelations; multi-dimensional, original and sympathetic characters; realistic, cutting-edge technology; finely crafted and astonishing plot twists; meticulously researched detail - this book will have none of these! Instead, randomly tear some pages out of your own manuscripts, staple them together and have the product on my desk by Tuesday night; we need at least a week to whittle down your blathering drivel into a 120 minute screenplay."

"I'll be on the phone with Hanks' agent negotiating a deal where we send him a blank check, and he reciprocates his end of the contract by laconically intoning his dialogue while stumbling about in a tweed jacket, so just slide whatever you come up with under my door. Remember, it's got to be at least 450 pages - if it doesn't snap the strap of a Timbuk2 messenger bag, it's not literature!"

"Someone needs to throw in at least three dozen references to "things people do on the internet" too, please. You know, just try to work in the words 'iPhone,' 'Twitter,' BlackBerry,' and 'Google' every ten pages, that way readers will know it's a taut techno-thriller. And set it in Washington DC. Yeah, like National Treasure 2. People liked that, didn't they? Jimmy, have your boys just print out everything they have on the Freemasons, George Washington and Isaac Newton. Yeah, I know we used him before; we honestly don't know any other scientists. What do you mean your editors don't actually fact-check their information? So it's all just a hodgepodge of hearsay and conjecture? Actually, that's perfect."

"So, yeah, we have to have a love interest, too. And by love interest I mean "woman with whom the protagonist has no chemistry whatsoever." I don't know, a beautiful, wealthy, impossibly intelligent woman who not only is involved in ground-breaking research in a scientific field that doesn't technically exist (but is going to change Everything Forever!) but also somehow gains the ability to make incredible leaps in logic minutes before our protagonist, thereby completely undermining the purpose of his entire character. Which reminds me - we're going to need a villain, too. Has there ever been a 6' tall, rich, muscular, bald, psychotic antagonist with giant tattoos who kidnaps his victims for the purposes of his own "transformation"? What's that, Tom, you don't think so? Good - run with that. Throw in a plot twist about him too. Something that's never been done before. And how about some minor characters as well - an impeccably dressed black man who has keys that open every single door in Washington, an old blind priest who speaks solely in riddles, and oh, what the hell, a deformed, female chain-smoking Japanese midget with a gravelly voice. Yup, all in the same book."

"Um, ok folks, I think we're done here - Oh, right, thanks Rhonda, I almost forgot - the ending! People have been waiting years for Dan's newest, colossal secret! One that will be sure to rock the very foundations of every society on our planet, destroy centuries-old beliefs and shatter ideologies into powdered glass! Here it is - get ready - The Bible. Reading the Bible will teach you things. Things that every single human being alive already knows, but they don't know they know. But once these things are pointed out, people are going to feel incredibly stupid that they didn't see them before. But they're also going feel uplifted because they now know that they're one with God. Or they're the same as God. Or they made up God. Or they're made of God. It doesn't matter. Just mention "God" and "hope" and people will get all choked up. Abir, you have some experience here - just make it sound spiritual, inspiring, and wishy-washy all at the same time."

"Can you also make sure to bury this Bible in some well-known, but highly implausible location that certainly won't be figured out in the first 20 pages by anyone more observant than a small, retarded child? I don't know, Dean, somewhere in Washington - but it's gotta have a pyramid on top. Yeah, a pyramid, like at the Louvre. Dan likes pyramids, ok? Are there any places like that in Washington? Anything vaguely pyramid-shaped? Just Google it, you'll find something. And make sure a shadowy government agency first tries to stop our protagonist, then ends up helping him using sophisticated technology that couldn't possibly do the things the book says it can do. Just make something up - like time traveling thermal cameras or something. Or how about that liquid breathing fluid stuff from The Abyss? That's got blockbuster written all over it. No, Michael, we're not actually going to mention The Abyss in the book - that would be utterly ridiculous.

"Koontz? You had another question? Yes, of course - I was just getting to that. Every single chapter should end in a mini-cliffhanger that doesn't actually advance the plot, but instead leaves the readers completely unsatisfied, forcing them to stay awake for another two hours in order to reveal some insignificant and unlikely plot point. Typically, each chapter should end with one character literally pointing out something to another character, but never telling the audience what it is they are pointing at until the reader has consumed at least 30 more pages. Needless to say, the thing they are pointing at should leave both characters either "shocked," "incredulous," or "amazed."

"Everyone knows what to do? Great. All right guys, let's get cracking. Paulo, if you could stay behind for a minute; we found 87 more languages to translate your repetitive, mindless pedantry into. The rest of you, thanks for coming, please pick up your cartons of money on the way out..."

Done. Congratulations; you've just read The Lost Symbol. I just saved you $17.00 and six hours. No need to thank me. And if you're still interested in ciphers, riddles and secret messages, I've embedded my own within this review - a diabolical code that I spent as much time crafting as Brown did on this steaming pile of pulp.

I actually enjoyed the book, but the review is pretty much spot on :lol:

CPU
10-06-2009, 04:59 AM
Amazon Review (http://www.amazon.com/review/RADQDJ5DJ0KPY/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002KQ6BT6&nodeID=133140011#wasThisHelpful)

Patrick
10-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Awesome review and I cracked the reviewer's code! :rofl:

Emily
10-07-2009, 08:37 AM
I started and finished The Great Gatsby yesterday at jury duty and really enjoyed it. I can't believe I waited so long to read it (public school system fail). Now I'm hopefully on to Jitterbug Perfume!

sarajean
10-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Now I'm hopefully on to Jitterbug Perfume!

:wub:

Ruthful
10-07-2009, 10:01 PM
I started and finished The Great Gatsby yesterday at jury duty and really enjoyed it. I can't believe I waited so long to read it (public school system fail). Now I'm hopefully on to Jitterbug Perfume!

I read Les Miserables when I was called for jury duty seven or eight years ago.

theBeamisHome
10-08-2009, 05:43 AM
Finally picked Lovecraft back up and I'm reading The Call of Chtulhu... tres creepy.

Myste
10-08-2009, 07:08 AM
^ Gooood :thumbsup:

Heather19
10-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Now reading DROOD by Dan Simmons.

Patrick, what do you think of it? How far in are you?
Damn my readers block. I picked this one up quite a few weeks ago, and got 100 pages in, and I just can't pick it back up. :( I was really enjoying what I read though.

Feev, you should really check out Summer of Night by Simmons if you haven't already read it.

Daghain
10-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Just finished Messenger by Lois Lowry and am now reading Just After Sunset. :panic:

Brice
10-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Finally picked Lovecraft back up and I'm reading The Call of Chtulhu... tres creepy.

:D As it should be.

darkwolf
10-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Reading The Damnation Game by Clive Barker now. Only read a few books of his before this years ago, the Great and Secret Show, and the Hellbound Heart. He sure loves writing sex scenes! I think I read like a 2-3 page sex scene today in the book, made me lawl at the amount of detail.

ola
10-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Everything's Eventual. Well...more like "Little Sisters of Eluria" and then the rest of the stories.

It's making me homesick. Probably sounds weird but that's the closest to describing it.

Jean
10-08-2009, 10:42 PM

say you like it! say you like it!!! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/excited.gif

fernandito
10-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Reading The Damnation Game by Clive Barker now. Only read a few books of his before this years ago, the Great and Secret Show, and the Hellbound Heart.

You should give Imajica a shot :thumbsup:

Patrick
10-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Now reading DROOD by Dan Simmons.

Patrick, what do you think of it? How far in are you?
Damn my readers block. I picked this one up quite a few weeks ago, and got 100 pages in, and I just can't pick it back up. :( I was really enjoying what I read though.
I am about 2/3 of the way through it, Heather. I enjoy it very much. I'll definitely want to read more Dan Simmons after this.

jhanic
10-10-2009, 04:20 AM
Patrick, if you liked Drood, pick up his The Terror. It's in the same vein.

It never ceases to amaze me as to how much research Simmons must do for these books!

John

Heather19
10-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Patrick, if you liked Drood, pick up his The Terror. It's in the same vein.

It never ceases to amaze me as to how much research Simmons must do for these books!

John

Yes, I agree with John. Pick up The Terror. It's an amazing book. Or you could go with Summer of Night which is a personal favorite of mine :)

Patrick
10-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks, John and Heather, for the suggestions. :)

Mordred Deschain
10-11-2009, 10:03 AM
I am reading the Sookie Stackhouse books (Or the True Blood novels), by Charlaine Harris

http://5.media.tumblr.com/utslaRIIJplcwy8c0dMtpiDRo1_500.jpg

Daghain
10-11-2009, 12:09 PM
How are those? I've been meaning to add them to my list. (Like I don't have enough books already).

Heather19
10-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Yes, I've been kinda curious about them too. Are they good?

Patrick, please let me know if you read some more of his books. I've only read a handful of his books, but he's easily becoming one of my favorite authors. And you got me motivated. I actually picked Drood back up this morning. :)

Lily-sai
10-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Orson Scott Card has always been one of my favorites since when I read Ender's Game for the first time many, many years ago.
It's always a great delight to re-read his books, like this one right now:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1b/RedProphet%281stEd%29.jpg

fernandito
10-11-2009, 05:58 PM
I've been meaning to read some Orson Scott Card outside of the Ender universe, I might just have to start with that one Liisa :)

ManOfWesternesse
10-12-2009, 02:47 AM
Just finished a re-read of GRR Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series - brilliant, can't wait for the next book to come out!

Not sure what's next, maybe a re-read of some David Gemmell - "Sword in the Storm" maybe...

Lily-sai
10-12-2009, 02:51 AM
I've been meaning to read some Orson Scott Card outside of the Ender universe, I might just have to start with that one Liisa :)

Go, go, to the nearest library or bookstore and grab Seventh Son. I promise you won't be disappointed. :wub:

mia/susannah
10-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Just finished up The Neverending story, that was a great book.

Now cannot decide between a rereread of the dark tower series or The stand.

Brice
10-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Then don't decide...read both. :D

Letti
10-12-2009, 06:55 AM
The biography of Thor Heyerdahl.

Mordred Deschain
10-12-2009, 01:11 PM
How are those? I've been meaning to add them to my list. (Like I don't have enough books already).

Yes, I've been kinda curious about them too. Are they good?

I like them. They are an easy read. It's interesting to (just like movies and books they are based on). I've watched season 1 and 2 of True Blood and the books follow the story....aahhh..mainly. Sookie, Bill, and Eric they follow pretty close, but there are some changes that the writers for the show decided to make. But I'm enjoying the books.

Daghain
10-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Well, I may have to add those to my list then. Thanks!

DoctorDodge
10-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Currently I'm in the middle of:

Wolves of the Calla (which I'm rushing through, well by my standards I'm rushing, by everyone else's standards I'm reading at a normal pace!)
Doctor Who: The Quantum Archangel (nearly finished it, only 40 pages to go, but Calla takes top priority, methinks)
The Talisman (This is what makes me a Dark Tower fan and not a Stephen King fan. Wolves, I'm racing through despite having read it before. Talisman, notsomuch, although I really enjoyed Black House.)
Thud! (just so I remember! Only halfway through. Really good book, really funny, but the problem is my reading mood is always, always, ALWAYS shifting!)

Patrick
10-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Patrick, please let me know if you read some more of his books. I've only read a handful of his books, but he's easily becoming one of my favorite authors. And you got me motivated. I actually picked Drood back up this morning. :)
I finished DROOD today. Damn, that was good book!

As you know by now, I've got another Simmons book sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.

However, since I rarely read the same author twice in a row, I'm leaning toward first reading THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE by David Wroblewski...

"I flat-out loved The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. In the end, this isn't a novel about dogs or heartland America, it's a novel about the human heart and the mysteries that live there, understood but impossible to articulate.... I don't reread many books because life is too short. I will be re-reading this one."
—Stephen King, author of Under The Dome

Ruthful
10-13-2009, 05:58 AM
The biography of Thor Heyerdahl.

Ooh, Fatu Hivi!

:)

what
10-13-2009, 07:41 AM
However, since I rarely read the same author twice in a row, I'm leaning toward first reading THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE by David Wroblewski...

I absolutely loved this book, but HATE the ending... let me know what you think when you finish.

jhanic
10-13-2009, 12:02 PM

I absolutely loved this book, but HATE the ending... let me know what you think when you finish.

I'm going to be starting this one soon. I managed to get a pristine first edition first printing from a library book sale for $1. (It looks like it's never been opened!) I saw King's quote also, which made me start looking for it.

John

theyspunaweb
10-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Orson Scott Card has always been one of my favorites since when I read Ender's Game for the first time many, many years ago.
It's always a great delight to re-read his books, like this one right now:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1b/RedProphet%281stEd%29.jpg

How do you like this book? I've only ever read the Ender and Bean seriers (my favortie books ever, next to DT)...I've not read any of his other stuff though.

I am currently on my way to finishing Black House. I'm excited. I've really been meaning to pick up Drood.

Lily-sai
10-13-2009, 12:14 PM
spun, the first four or something books of the Tales of Alvin Maker are great. I love how OSC combines the real world with the magic so fluently and naturally that it all feels realistic, like it could really happen. I don't remember clearly, but I think that the quality went downhill after the fourth book. Give it a try anyway - it's a magical experience, which is why I'm reading them again. :)

theyspunaweb
10-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Lily, I will! It is so hard to decide what book to read next with my long list. I don't have very much free time, I love the bus to read on. So we'll see when I get around to it, I really should have read more Orson Scott Card sooner.

Ruthful
10-13-2009, 01:19 PM
http://m1.smartmoney.net/tradecraft/images/0427-book-cover.jpg

http://phuketnews.phuketindex.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/BATMAN-WHATEVER-HAPPENED-TO-THE-CAPED-CRUSADER.jpg

http://shelflove.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/white_teeth.jpg

Heather19
10-13-2009, 01:34 PM

As you know by now, I've got another Simmons book sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.

Yes, let me know how it is. I'm glad you enjoyed Drood. I'm about 200 pages in now! It'll be awhile before I finish it, but I'm loving it so far.

darkwolf
10-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Reading The Damnation Game by Clive Barker now. Only read a few books of his before this years ago, the Great and Secret Show, and the Hellbound Heart.

You should give Imajica a shot :thumbsup:

I will, it may just be the next book I pick up. I'm nearing the end of Damnation Game. Also just finished Y: The Last Man... Excellent series.

cody44
10-13-2009, 07:18 PM
My friend who is reading Imajica has highly recommended it to me. He told me their was a lot of descriptive sexual scenes, but they don't feel out of place. :pirate:

ErinPatricia
10-14-2009, 08:05 PM
IM working my way through Strangers by Koontz. Its taking forever for some reason tho.

Also reading The Devil in the White City, and a re-read of the first 3 Vampire Chronicle books from Anne Rice cause I got this awesome collected edition from B&N

and I have The Almost Moon and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo on deck

Patrick
10-14-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm going to be starting this one soon. I managed to get a pristine first edition first printing from a library book sale for $1. (It looks like it's never been opened!) I saw King's quote also, which made me start looking for it.

John
Nice find, John!

Yes, let me know how it is. I'm glad you enjoyed Drood. I'm about 200 pages in now! It'll be awhile before I finish it, but I'm loving it so far.
:thumbsup:

Jean
10-14-2009, 11:31 PM
IM working my way through Strangers by Koontz. Its taking forever for some reason tho.
All Koontzs I've ever read took me forever.

IWasSentWest
10-14-2009, 11:49 PM
been thinking about read the belgariad by david eddings....atleast while im waiting on my next jim butcher book to come in. come on harry dresden!

Daghain
10-15-2009, 09:14 AM
I read the first one and HATED it. I quit after that. YMMV.

ErinPatricia
10-15-2009, 08:36 PM
been thinking about read the belgariad by david eddings....atleast while im waiting on my next jim butcher book to come in. come on harry dresden!

read it!!!
I love love love those books

Matt
10-15-2009, 10:10 PM
I am going to read Taste of Tenderloin which is a book Jerome sent me that is signed to me! :excited:

It is my policy to read every book with this designation and it sounds like it will be really good. Small book so I'm sure I'll get through it tonight at work.

https://www.horror-mall.com/images/P/tenderloin_cmyk_medium.jpg

Matt
10-15-2009, 10:12 PM

Sorry, had to double post when I saw this comment. I read several of Simmons books on a binge and would say The Terror and Song of Kali are the best other than Drood. For me, The Terror was best of all.

Daghain
10-16-2009, 12:43 AM
I am going to read Taste of Tenderloin which is a book Jerome sent me that is signed to me! :excited:

It is my policy to read every book with this designation and it sounds like it will be really good. Small book so I'm sure I'll get through it tonight at work.

https://www.horror-mall.com/images/P/tenderloin_cmyk_medium.jpg

Yep, next on my list! And you all are making me majorly curious of the Simmons books. :evil:

Matt
10-16-2009, 01:35 AM
Its pretty good so far, about half way through it.

Daghain
10-16-2009, 01:46 AM
Simmons or O'Neill?

Brice
10-16-2009, 02:08 AM
Simmons is very good, Dags.
I'm about to start that O'neill book too.
Ruthful: you know fatu hiva. :) I do think Letti must mean a different book by Thor though.

I'm currently reading Martian Time Slip by Philip K. Dick.

Daghain
10-16-2009, 02:16 AM
Well, it'll be interesting to see how we all feel about the O'Neill book, as a bunch of us will be reading it at the same time. :D

I'll have to put Simmons on my list as well. :D

Brice
10-16-2009, 02:21 AM
Yes, you definitely should.

jhanic
10-16-2009, 06:29 AM
I read several of Simmons books on a binge and would say The Terror and Song of Kali are the best other than Drood. For me, The Terror was best of all.
For me, I like Drood more than The Terror, but it was close. Song of Kali (which I read when it first came out) is a strong contender also.

John

Daghain
10-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Just finished Just After Sunset and am now reading Taste of Tenderloin by Gene O'Neil.

Ruthful
10-16-2009, 06:14 PM
http://ebooks-imgs.connect.com/product/400/000/000/000/000/139/616/400000000000000139616_s4.jpg

Heather19
10-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Sorry, had to double post when I saw this comment. I read several of Simmons books on a binge and would say The Terror and Song of Kali are the best other than Drood. For me, The Terror was best of all.

You have to check out Summer of Night. That one's my favorite, followed closely by The Terror. I still have yet to read Song of Kali though.

Daggers, definitely give him a shot. You won't be disappointed.

Matt
10-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Summer of Night is next on my list then. I am re reading an old paperback of Gerald's Game someone left at the hotel right now. :dance:

Heather19
10-17-2009, 03:53 AM
Summer of Night is next on my list then. I am re reading an old paperback of Gerald's Game someone left at the hotel right now. :dance:

:) I hope you enjoy it.

CPU
10-17-2009, 09:29 AM

I really enjoyed that one a lot more than I thought I would when I first picked it up. I found it really creepy! :)

pathoftheturtle
10-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Finally started The Winds of War by Herman Wouk. Recommended to me long, long ago by JohnBlaze; I've owned a copy for over a year, just now getting to it... and with all I have to do, (including my commitment now to write a NaNoWriMo novel) I'll probably be working on it for quite a while. I often break for simpler books, anyway, when I'm reading a long piece of serious fiction. Of course, I'm familiar with Wouk's other famous work The Caine Mutiny, but this is clearly different. Not far into it yet, but so far the style kind of reminds me of All My Sons by Arthur Miller

Ruthful
10-20-2009, 11:40 AM
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/33850000/33858954.JPG

Míchéal
10-20-2009, 11:48 AM
The Silmarillion

RoseMadder
10-20-2009, 05:57 PM
right now I am rereading Siddhartha by Hesse, feel like being re-enlightened :)

John_and_Yoko
10-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Just finished The Chronicles of Narnia.

*takes a deep breath, lets out a great sigh of contentment*

:D

TLC
10-20-2009, 10:21 PM
I really want to finish reading Drood. I've had to take it out of the library 6 times so far and still haven't finished it. Waiting for it again....number 29 on the waiting list. *sigh*

Currently reading , besides test books, The Stranger by Max Frei

turtlex
10-21-2009, 04:09 AM
Just got the new Patricia Cornwell - The Scarpetta Factor.

John Blaze
10-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Well, I really didn't want to start reading A Song of Ice and Fire until martin finished writing them, because of my impatience, but I finally ran out of good stuff to read and I started them. I haven't had much time to read but I'm almost done with the first book, and I'm loving it. At first I thought it was going to be as tedious to read as LOTR, but it's not. :D

Jon
10-21-2009, 09:04 PM
The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown

Myste
10-22-2009, 03:22 AM
Duma Key... finally :)

turtlex
10-22-2009, 03:47 AM
Also reading Rowing The Atlantic by Roz Savage

Jon
10-22-2009, 11:26 AM
War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells

Jean
10-22-2009, 11:30 AM
War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
Bears love H.G.Wells.

Jon
10-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Aye. A short but gripping tale.

Can anyone tell me if Jack (C.S.) Lewis ever finished "The Dark Tower?"

bluelph24
10-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Midnight's children - salmon rushdie

Ruthful
10-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Ugh...Rushdie.

At the risk of sounding like an unsophisticated naif, you'd have to employ some sort of medieval inquisitorial device in order to get me to attempt one of his novels.

ola
10-23-2009, 12:13 AM

Have you gone on to read anything else by him? It took me a while, but I liked Narcissus and Goldmund, and Journey to the East when I got around to them.

Also try Alan Watts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Watts)' lectures and essays if you haven't already. (Some clips from the audio archives are here: http://diydharma.org/Watts ...And if you can find this box set at the library, it's a good listen: Amazon.com: Out of Your Mind (0600835080125): Alan Watts: Books )

boq
10-23-2009, 01:51 PM
The Fellowship of the Ring.
Gandalf's just explained what the runes revealed by throwing the Ring into Frodo's fire implies.
Haven't read Tolkien in years... loving it :rock:

Was attempting Dawkin's "God Delusion" but just wasn't in the mood at all.

jhanic
10-23-2009, 05:15 PM
:P:Phttp://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/Other_items/AllWorkandNoPlay.jpg

The characterization isn't that great, but...

:P

John

John_and_Yoko
10-23-2009, 05:28 PM
The Fellowship of the Ring.
Gandalf's just explained what the runes revealed by throwing the Ring into Frodo's fire implies.
Haven't read Tolkien in years... loving it :rock:

Was attempting Dawkin's "God Delusion" but just wasn't in the mood at all.

Those weren't runes--it was Elvish letters.

Jon
10-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Just finished H.G. Well's War of the Worlds...awesome!!!!

Recently, Wells and Lewis have been kicking my ass. I am hooked.

Jean
10-24-2009, 12:05 AM
:P:Phttp://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/johnhanic/Other_items/AllWorkandNoPlay.jpg

The characterization isn't that great, but...
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

alinda
10-24-2009, 05:07 AM
medical transciptions.........:wtf:

Ruthful
10-24-2009, 11:21 AM
http://ariabooksellers.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/6a00c10e0f6587d3b40109d0f21fa3000f-500pi.jpg

Wuducynn
10-24-2009, 10:25 PM
The Wastelands - Book 3 of the Dark Tower Series

by Stephen King

Letti
10-24-2009, 10:51 PM
I started to read Duma Key yesterday evening. It wasn't really good idea because I couldn't put it down. :)

Jean
10-25-2009, 12:01 AM
I started to read Duma Key yesterday evening. It wasn't really good idea because I couldn't put it down. :)
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Heather19
10-25-2009, 04:48 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Letti, I love Duma Key. I really do hope you enjoy it. You'll have to let us know what you think when you're finished.

Lola Deschain
10-25-2009, 04:58 AM
i am reading the dark tower again at the moment!

Lola Deschain
10-25-2009, 04:58 AM
i have read Duma Key, it is better second time round

Myste
10-25-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm loving Duma Key so far. Too bad that I don't have much time for reading right now :cry:

Daghain
10-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Duma Key is one of my favorites.

LadyHitchhiker
10-25-2009, 11:01 AM
too many books. Not enough time...

Letti
10-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Okay, after one day without much time I am on page 123 in Duma Key. And I should not be reading I should be working.. so now I will force myself to work and after that.. after that.. :)
I love it so far. I do love this style.. when I can move into the head of the main character. But it gave me really strange dreams last night.

alinda
10-25-2009, 12:15 PM
The Rule of Four

Lily-sai
10-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Someone start reading The Tales of Alvin Maker soon? Now? Pretty please?

NOW! :ninja:

ErinPatricia
10-25-2009, 05:45 PM
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (take it to work book)
alongside Interview with the Vampire (for reading when at home)

Daghain
10-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Just finished A Taste of Tenderloin by Eugene O'Neill and am now reading A Series of Unfortunate Events #3, The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket.

Letti
10-26-2009, 12:14 AM
When you finish a good book don't you need some days to start a new one? If the book hit my world hard I sometimes need a week to be able to open a new one or to continue my other readings.

CPU
10-26-2009, 05:23 AM
Started A Game of Thrones last night. I got it and the second book as one eBook for my Kindle. I'm really enjoying it so far. I've heard a rumor that the series is not complete yet, does anyone know if that is true?

I also pre-ordered Under the Dome from Amazon for $9.00! :rock:

cody44
10-26-2009, 05:58 AM
I'm still reading IT, but have started reading Lord of the Flies for school.

Daghain
10-26-2009, 08:29 AM
When you finish a good book don't you need some days to start a new one? If the book hit my world hard I sometimes need a week to be able to open a new one or to continue my other readings.

Oh no. I'd die if I didn't always have a book going. :)

Heather19
10-26-2009, 09:24 AM

$9, that's insane. I don't think I've ever seen a new release that cheap before. I'm going to order my copy the second I get home. Hopefully they won't have changed the price by then.

jhanic
10-26-2009, 10:37 AM
If you order from Amazon, don't forget to use the button at the bottom of these pages. The site gets a little bit of money from each order received if you do.

By the way, I ordered three copies--one for my sister, one for my collection and one for a reading copy. This qualified me for free shipping also. You probably won't be able to get a paperback copy of the book for that price whenever it's finally issued.

John

Bev Vincent
10-26-2009, 11:02 AM
I just finished Heat Wave, the Castle TV show tie-in novel, and now I'm reading The Complaints by Ian Rankin (The Complaints are the Scottish equivalent of Internal Affairs in the police department)

Jean
10-26-2009, 11:22 AM

Yes, the idea is like stopping breathing for some time after you've breathed some especially sweet air.

Myste
10-26-2009, 01:39 PM

Definitely so... If the book was exceptionally good I find it hard to start a new one because the story is circling trough my head. And don't want to spoil it with (maybe) worse one.

John Blaze
10-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Started A Game of Thrones last night. I got it and the second book as one eBook for my Kindle. I'm really enjoying it so far. I've heard a rumor that the series is not complete yet, does anyone know if that is true?

1. The series is NOT complete yet. :)

2. I am also reading the series for the first time, I'm on the second book. I envy you, because the first book is great, and the ending will blow your mind. :D

CPU
10-26-2009, 05:15 PM

1. The series is NOT complete yet. :)

2. I am also reading the series for the first time, I'm on the second book. I envy you, because the first book is great, and the ending will blow your mind. :D

I guess I'll have to go slow then, maybe by the time I get to the end of the 4th book the next will be out! :lol:

Letti
10-26-2009, 09:19 PM

Yes, the idea is like stopping breathing for some time after you've breathed some especially sweet air.

For me it's like jumping from a nice marriage into another one.

Jean
10-27-2009, 01:07 AM
you mean... one is expected to read only one book in one's lifetime??? http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_unsure.gif

Brice
10-27-2009, 04:44 AM
I'm currently reading Jewels by Danielle Steele.

alinda
10-27-2009, 07:05 AM
you are? :P

Lily-sai
10-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Perhaps Cthulhu got bored enough in his watery depths. :)

fernandito
10-27-2009, 07:35 AM
Taking a small break from Blood Meridian to start Half-Blood Prince :)

Lily-sai
10-27-2009, 07:39 AM
I'm reading The Descent by Jeff Long. And I'm scared. :scared:

Letti
10-27-2009, 08:12 AM
you mean... one is expected to read only one book in one's lifetime??? http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_unsure.gif

Nope but I need breaks. :)

ManOfWesternesse
10-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Yet another re-read of JRR Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" - back to where it ALL began!:thumbsup:

John_and_Yoko
10-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Yet another re-read of JRR Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" - back to where it ALL began!:thumbsup:

Isn't The Hobbit "where it all began"? :orely:

Letti
10-27-2009, 09:06 AM

Maybe that's where his obsession began.

pathoftheturtle
10-27-2009, 10:27 AM

NOW! :ninja:Why? Got the series on my shelf, if you need something, but I've read all that before.

Brice
10-27-2009, 10:36 AM

I am.

:lol: My roommates and I have decided to make each other read 5 books in an allotted amount of time. Her favorite authors are Danielle Steele, Nora Roberts, etc... Anyhow, you can imagine my reading list now...or soon you shall see.

Jean
10-27-2009, 10:57 AM
:lol: My roommates and I have decided to make each other read 5 books in an allotted amount of time. Her favorite authors are Danielle Steele, Nora Roberts, etc... Anyhow, you can imagine my reading list now...or soon you shall see.
This kind of reading must affect something... the ability to differ between plural and singular is usually the first thing to go...

Lily-sai
10-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Hey, hey! It all began with the Music of Ainur!
:cyclops:

NOW! :ninja:Why? Got the series on my shelf, if you need something, but I've read all that before.

I just would love to find someone who likes the series as much as I like. :)

I am.

Weee-ell.. *muffled laughter*
:couple:

This kind of reading must affect something... the ability to differ between plural and singular is usually the first thing to go...

I suppose the next thing to go is the ability to read those books without kneeling on the floor and asking for mercy. :evil:

Heather19
10-27-2009, 05:00 PM

Let me know if Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts is on your list. I was trying to talk my hair dresser into reading It, and when I described the story to her, she said it sounded a little bit like this Nora Roberts book. She said it was excellent. I happened to come across it at a used book sale for $0.25 so I picked it up, but haven't read it yet. I'm curious if it's any good.

And I'm kinda curious what 5 books did you give your roommate to read?

Brice
10-27-2009, 08:03 PM

No, that's from my normal sleep deprived incoherence. :lol: Anyhow, I have two roommates (a married couple) and she assigned me those sort of books. He assigned me different ones.

Let me know if Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts is on your list. I was trying to talk my hair dresser into reading It, and when I described the story to her, she said it sounded a little bit like this Nora Roberts book. She said it was excellent. I happened to come across it at a used book sale for $0.25 so I picked it up, but haven't read it yet. I'm curious if it's any good.

And I'm kinda curious what 5 books did you give your roommate to read?

No, I don't think Blood Brothers was one of them.

I gave her:

The Girl Next Door
20th Century Ghosts
Tales Of The Cthulhu Mythos
The Silmarilion
and I forget the other one

I gave him
The Dark Tower (the whole series counts as one :evil: )
Infinite Jest
The Monk
A Beckoning Fair One

sgc1999
10-27-2009, 09:15 PM
I was just reading a SK interview in CD 50th anniversary issue mag and Totally had to LOL. At one point in the interview their talking about spike lee and his nagative review for greenmile for obvious reasons if you understand where spike lee is coming from. anyway Tony Magistrale (the interviewer) asks why Coffey couldnt be white and SK explains at wich point the interviewer trys to back petal ad gets comepletly bitch slapped. very funny. hightly reccomend the 50th issue of CD mag just for this interview. No i dont work for mister chizmar. just thought i would share my latest reading. Oh ya. and SK admits to reading the enqiurer. I was wondering where he got all those amazing stories. hmmmmmmmmm.......

ManOfWesternesse
10-28-2009, 07:18 AM

Maybe that's where his obsession began.

Hey, hey! It all began with the Music of Ainur!
:cyclops:

:wtf: - Allright! Allright! - I meant ...back to TOLKIEN, where it all began for ME! :lol:

Letti - I'm not obsessed with it.... much!! :huglove:

lowdown
10-28-2009, 12:09 PM
excuses begone by DR. wayne Dyer....some self help book my sis got for me ....i read it on the side of my other fiction

Ruthful
10-28-2009, 08:32 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Vm25xxomL._SS500_.jpg

Jon
10-29-2009, 11:52 AM
The Time Machine - H.G. Wells

Jean
10-29-2009, 11:30 PM
This one is very good, too, although bears' absolute favorite is The Island of Doctor Moreau.

Brice
10-30-2009, 02:44 AM
Yes, that's a great one Jean.

sai delgado
10-30-2009, 08:35 AM
I am reading Wizard's First Rule, by Terry Goodkind. My roommate lent me it and I'm liking it a lot :) Also reading British Folk Tales and Legends: A Sampler, by Katherine Briggs for one of my modules at university.

Míchéal
10-30-2009, 08:46 AM
I have no books, thats what I get for visiting people.... tut tut, should've stayed at home :lol:

sai delgado
10-30-2009, 09:06 AM
should have took a book with you!! Even if you don't think you will read it always worth bringing one :P

Míchéal
10-30-2009, 09:12 AM
I brought two, but I've been here all week so they're read.

sai delgado
10-30-2009, 09:27 AM
buy some more :D

Brice
10-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Yes, one can never have enough books.

Míchéal
10-30-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm in the middle of nowhere so i'll have to survive till Sunday :)

Brice
10-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Nowhere has books too. :)

Yeah, sunday ain't far.

jayson
10-30-2009, 08:51 PM

excellent brian. i've already re-read it twice this year. yes, i can admit it. i'm a tolkien junkie. :D

pathoftheturtle
10-31-2009, 08:42 AM

Well, I do totally love the main concept and the first few books, but the later ones were a little weak.
I was just reading a SK interview in CD 50th anniversary issue mag and Totally had to LOL. At one point in the interview their talking about spike lee and his nagative review for greenmile for obvious reasons if you understand where spike lee is coming from. anyway Tony Magistrale (the interviewer) asks why Coffey couldnt be white and SK explains at wich point the interviewer trys to back petal ad gets comepletly bitch slapped. very funny. hightly reccomend the 50th issue of CD mag just for this interview. No i dont work for mister chizmar. just thought i would share my latest reading. Oh ya. and SK admits to reading the enqiurer. I was wondering where he got all those amazing stories. hmmmmmmmmm.......What? That's interesting but... sorry if I'm being dumb... I don't know what magazine you mean.

This one is very good, too, although bears' absolute favorite is The Island of Doctor Moreau.Cool, cool; great book. :) There's also a lot going on in The Time Machine. (And in War of the Worlds, definitely, if you know how to look deep in fiction.)

Lily-sai
10-31-2009, 08:46 AM

Well, I do totally love the main concept and the first few books, but the later ones were a little weak.

I know what you mean. I wish OSC would've held his horses and thought twice before writing the rest.. in the other paw, he did so quite a few times with some of his earlier novels, to no avail. duh.

Brice
11-01-2009, 04:32 AM

I was just reading a SK interview in CD 50th anniversary issue mag and Totally had to LOL. At one point in the interview their talking about spike lee and his nagative review for greenmile for obvious reasons if you understand where spike lee is coming from. anyway Tony Magistrale (the interviewer) asks why Coffey couldnt be white and SK explains at wich point the interviewer trys to back petal ad gets comepletly bitch slapped. very funny. hightly reccomend the 50th issue of CD mag just for this interview. No i dont work for mister chizmar. just thought i would share my latest reading. Oh ya. and SK admits to reading the enqiurer. I was wondering where he got all those amazing stories. hmmmmmmmmm.......What? That's interesting but... sorry if I'm being dumb... I don't know what magazine you mean.

It must be Cemetary Dance I think.

candy
11-01-2009, 05:08 AM
currently readin some crap by anne rice. called blood canticle.
its not good

pathoftheturtle
11-01-2009, 01:01 PM
jayson: Many thanks! I'll check that out. :)

Have you gone on to read anything else by him? It took me a while, but I liked Narcissus and Goldmund, and Journey to the East when I got around to them.

Also try Alan Watts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Watts)' lectures and essays if you haven't already. (Some clips from the audio archives are here: http://diydharma.org/Watts ...And if you can find this box set at the library, it's a good listen: Amazon.com: Out of Your Mind (0600835080125): Alan Watts: Books )That is very good advice, but if anyone is doing all of that, I suggest certainly reading Huston Smith as well, and try comparing Watts's Beyond Theology with The Everlasting Man by G. K. Chesterton.

Daghain
11-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Just finished book 3 of the Lemony Snicket series and am now on book 4. Might do a King reread next.

Jean
11-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Just finished book 3 of the Lemony Snicket series and am now on book 4. Might do a King reread next.
Which reminds me...

Jon
11-03-2009, 01:30 AM
Just finished Wells's The Time Machine. I am hooked on Wells and am on the prowl for another Wells book.

Lily-sai
11-03-2009, 02:09 AM
Rereading Ender trilogy. Oh, what Orson Scott Card phase? :unsure:

fernandito
11-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Rereading Ender trilogy. Oh, what Orson Scott Card phase? :unsure:

:wub:

ManOfWesternesse
11-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Finished LotR re-read.
just started a re-read of Asimov's Foundation.

... but will put that on-hold as, at lunchtime today, I bought a copy of the just published:- Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson - The Gathering Storm (Book 12 of the 'Wheel of Time' series):thumbsup:

Patrick
11-06-2009, 12:35 AM

It must be Cemetary Dance I think.
Yes, that is what he is referencing. The interview is in the magazine's 50th issue: Cemetery Dance #50 (http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/_cd050)

-

Just started, for the first time, Stephen King's FROM A BUICK 8.

Jean
11-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Good luck with that. Some people find it boring, but bears loved it a lot.

IWasSentWest
11-06-2009, 01:25 AM
asimov's i, robot.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-06-2009, 01:56 AM
Just started No Country For Old Men. So far, so good.

boq
11-06-2009, 11:19 AM
...the Felowship's about to leave Rivendell on my LotR reread. Really enjoying taking my time with it... really 'entering' Middle Earth.
Thinking about taking a breather with the 'new' Hitchhiker's Guide before getting on with The Two Towers...

Ka-mai
11-06-2009, 04:08 PM
I am reading two books.

The Road Less Traveled, which I am finding both thought-provoking and full of bullshit.

Kitchen Confidential, which is rocking. I love Anthony Bourdain. He is probably the one older man I would consider having sex with. :drool: Definitely recommend to everyone.

Alex
11-06-2009, 04:31 PM
The White Cascade: The Great Northern Railway Disaster And America's Deadliest Avalanche By Gary Krist

jayson
11-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Kitchen Confidential, which is rocking. I love Anthony Bourdain. He is probably the one older man I would consider having sex with. :drool: Definitely recommend to everyone.

you recommend which, the book or fucking anthony bourdain? :evil:

candy
11-07-2009, 02:46 AM
asimov's i, robot.

:clap: i like that book

Brice
11-07-2009, 04:14 AM
I'm just guessing, but I think she'd reccomend both, Jayson. :lol:

kluker
11-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm trying to finish The Dark Tower but after what happened with jake i've lost my will to want to read it:shoot:

Ka-mai
11-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Tell me about it. <_<

Ka-mai
11-07-2009, 11:39 AM

you recommend which, the book or fucking anthony bourdain? :evil:

:lol: Brice is right, both!!! Although I get to go first. :P

Ruthful
11-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Life at the Bottom: The World View That Makes The Underclass, by Theodore Dalrymple.

I also picked up a used copy of Choke from the Salvation Army as I was donating an old pair of shoes.

Daghain
11-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Just finished Series of Unfortunate Events #4: The Miserable Mill by Lemony Snicket and am now doing a reread of Hearts in Atlantis.

Ka-mai
11-11-2009, 03:28 PM
How many Unfortunate Events books are there? I thought about reading them but the movie makes me sad (I'm too focused on the tragedy and barely on the humor) and I don't want to get into a huge series I'll regret starting halfway through.

kluker
11-11-2009, 03:39 PM
I love Unfortunate events I think there are 12 of them:dance:

But i'm reading Bag of Bones any one else like the book...so far its okay don't know if I want to finish it

John_and_Yoko
11-11-2009, 04:05 PM
I love Unfortunate events I think there are 12 of them:dance:

But i'm reading Bag of Bones any one else like the book...so far its okay don't know if I want to finish it

I was kind of bored by it, to be honest, which is a shame because I WANTED to love it.

Daghain
11-11-2009, 04:14 PM
How many Unfortunate Events books are there? I thought about reading them but the movie makes me sad (I'm too focused on the tragedy and barely on the humor) and I don't want to get into a huge series I'll regret starting halfway through.

There are 13. They don't take long to read, though. And I really wish these had been around when I was a kid, because I love them. Dark and depressing is something I enjoy. :lol:

jhanic
11-11-2009, 05:53 PM

Bag of Bones is one of my favorite King novels.

John

Letti
11-11-2009, 11:06 PM
asimov's i, robot.

I read it some months ago. It's really good.

Heather19
11-12-2009, 09:56 AM
My copy of Under the Dome has just arrived :rock:
I'll be starting it later tonight.

Patrick
11-14-2009, 10:08 PM

Bag of Bones is one of my favorite King novels.

John
It took me a while to get into, so I had my doubts. Then I got it into. It's not my favorite of his books, but I do give BAG OF BONES: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

John Blaze
11-14-2009, 10:32 PM
i liked it. :)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-15-2009, 02:56 AM
Just finished No Country For Old Men.

I am either going to start 'The Road', which I have, or 'Under the Dome' which I do not yet have.

stone, rose, unfound door
11-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Tons of books about the media since I'm handing a thesis at the end of the year. Interesting but you want some fantasy sometimes...

ola
11-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Tons of books about the media since I'm handing a thesis at the end of the year. Interesting but you want some fantasy sometimes...

No kidding, only having time for school books is tough! It's like a treat when you finally get to read what you want to read..

Right now I'm reading "On Writing." Figured it would be appropriate for this month, which also isn't leaving much time for reading, it's all been on the bus to work (rare times I don't have the computer glued to my face).

Daghain
11-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Just finished a reread of Hearts in Atlantis and am now reading Legacies by F. Paul Wilson.

ManOfWesternesse
11-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Under the Dome...
absolutely LOVE it so far.

CPU
11-16-2009, 07:28 AM
I'm reading Under the Dome as well!

Míchéal
11-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Under the Dome :)

19eye-rosecrow-gun
11-16-2009, 09:25 AM
I am currently enjoying Needful Things. So far its one of his very best, but then again I say that every time...

Jean
11-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Under the Dome...
absolutely LOVE it so far.

I'm reading Under the Dome as well!

Under the Dome :)

I hate you all...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_angry.gif

::jealous::

John Blaze
11-16-2009, 06:52 PM
I am currently enjoying Needful Things. So far its one of his very best, but then again I say that every time...
It is good, althought Brian's part makes me :( every time i read it.

overhoser
11-16-2009, 06:59 PM
It's been a while since reading Needful Things, but I have to say it's probably one of my favorite SK books.

As a student, I'm always reading something. And I won't post them here. But because of that, when I read for pleasure, it takes me months to finish. I am currently A Brief History of Stonehenge by Aubrey Burl since August. Unfortunately, the history isn't as brief as the title implied. But an interesting read if you happen to be into really old rocks. Or just old cultures in general.

On audio book (this moves slightly faster than my normal pleasure reading due to my time in the car) I am reading Song of Susannah

John Blaze
11-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Nice. I would like to think of myself as a voracious reader. If I get into a book, it's read. I recently read all the available Song of Ice and Fire books in 6 days. I remember the first time I read The Stand I began it at 3 in the afternoon and finished it at about 5 am. I'm like that. :unsure:

In college i regularly pulled all nighters, both partying and reading. Only done it about 2 or 3 times since I got married though. I have responsibilites now....

Responsibilities suck.:cry:

pazuzu
11-16-2009, 09:39 PM
desperation then im going 2 read the regulators

Sam
11-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Under the Dome.

Myste
11-17-2009, 03:55 AM
So envy to you who are reading UTD... but anyway; still reading Duma Key which is great also!

John Blaze
11-17-2009, 04:35 AM
it is! i liked it.

mae
11-17-2009, 06:00 AM
I remember the first time I read The Stand I began it at 3 in the afternoon and finished it at about 5 am. I'm like that. :unsure:

Holy fucking shit!

:scared:

lophophoras
11-17-2009, 06:02 AM
UTD and loving it!!

:excited:

mae
11-17-2009, 06:02 AM
I hate you all...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_angry.gif

Jean, why didn't you order the book from Amazon for nine bucks when it was still at that price? Even with shipping to Russia, it's gotta be about the same as a new book in Russia, most likely?

John Blaze
11-17-2009, 07:06 AM
because with the postal service in Russia, he probably wouldn't get it anyway.

yeah, it sucks. usually if we send him anything, we have to send it to London for his sporadic visits there, and he picks it up. However, if I buy the ebook I will send it to him.

Jean
11-17-2009, 07:08 AM
I hate you all...

Jean, why didn't you order the book from Amazon for nine bucks when it was still at that price? Even with shipping to Russia, it's gotta be about the same as a new book in Russia, most likely?

No, it is going to be a lot more expensive - I remember last time you gave me a link to where I could calculate it (it was about JAS), it came out about a quarter what I earn a month - there were some specific conditions for some countries and sure enough, Russia was one of them. Anyway, I'll never be able to buy it new, even here it's way too expensive; so either a student (I have some rich ones - rich here means they make more than $500 a month) makes me such a present on my next birthday, or a miracle happens and I find it in Paris at Gibert or Fnac at "prix special", or - well, will have to wait for a paperback.

mae
11-17-2009, 07:14 AM
That truly sucks, no other word for it. I just hate seeing you miss out on a new book like this.

Daghain
11-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Don't feel too bad Jean, I always wait for the paperback. ;D

turtlex
11-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Jean - Doesn't Fedex or UPS deliver to your area?!?

Heather19
11-17-2009, 07:56 AM
I hate you all...

No, it is going to be a lot more expensive - I remember last time you gave me a link to where I could calculate it (it was about JAS), it came out about a quarter what I earn a month - there were some specific conditions for some countries and sure enough, Russia was one of them. Anyway, I'll never be able to buy it new, even here it's way too expensive; so either a student (I have some rich ones - rich here means they make more than $500 a month) makes me such a present on my next birthday, or a miracle happens and I find it in Paris at Gibert or Fnac at "prix special", or - well, will have to wait for a paperback.

Are there any little used bookstores out there where you can find books cheaper? I know it probably wouldn't work for Under the Dome since it's so recent, but you could maybe find some other good ones there. That's where I get a lot of my books from.
Or what about a library?

alinda
11-17-2009, 10:28 AM
I just woke up from a nap, into a dream because in the stack of mail on the table was
Under The Dome!!!:rock: I got to go get started! OH JOY , and The Stephen King Library!

Jean
11-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Heather love http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif, we are a Russian-speaking country... chances of finding a recent King, in English, in a used book store are so low I don't think I am able to calculate them. The same goes for libraries.

I always get my English books in used book stores, too, but not here - in England or France. That's where I hope to find my Under the Dome, but, since I don't think there'll be a paperback as early as next spring (hopefully, I'll go to Paris in April), I hope Alexander can get one for me as soon as it comes out; then I'll get it by Xmas 2010; all that, I repeat, if a student doesn't think of something before that time.

Pam http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif: I am not sure what Fedex or UPS are, but I am afraid if they were available, Alexander or Helen would know by now...

Pablo and Irish Dawn: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

mae
11-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Well, here's hoping when you go to Paris in April, you'll be able to score the hardcover. It's a beautiful book.

Jean
11-17-2009, 11:56 AM
psst

even before I have the book, I may have an electronic version...

Heather19
11-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Good luck Jean. :huglove:
I'd send you my copy if I knew it would safely make it out to you.

mae
11-17-2009, 04:01 PM
But Jean, as a book lover, surely you know it's not that same...

Brice
11-17-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm sure Jean will agree that that is true, but as a russian book lover I'm sure he'll say it's also much more readily available.

Jean
11-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Yes to both.

Ruthful
11-18-2009, 12:13 PM
http://www.peterschweizer.com/images/arch_ruin.jpg

http://img.amazon.ca/images/I/51mL0oBFW-L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

cody44
11-19-2009, 06:36 AM
The Road

Wanted to read it before the movie comes out. What an interesting way of writing Mr. McCarthy has.

Lily-sai
11-19-2009, 06:38 AM
How do I want to read Under the Dome. :(
Instead, I'm reading Alastair Reynolds' Pushing Ice and trying to forget about all the magnificent NEW books around. :P

stone, rose, unfound door
11-19-2009, 03:10 PM
I gotta go and buy Under the Dome sometime soon. I don't want to have people spoil me the fun in all those threads out there...

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-19-2009, 05:15 PM
The Road

Wanted to read it before the movie comes out. What an interesting way of writing Mr. McCarthy has.

I am also reading The Road. I am about halfway through it. He has a very poetic style. Yet, it is quite choppy and disconnected. Beautifully frustrating. Also the lack of punctuation and grammer is distracting. I found "No Country for Old Men" both easier to read and less entertaining.

cody44
11-19-2009, 09:47 PM
The Road

I am also reading The Road. I am about halfway through it. He has a very poetic style. Yet, it is quite choppy and disconnected. Beautifully frustrating. Also the lack of punctuation and grammer is distracting. I found "No Country for Old Men" both easier to read and less entertaining.

Yes, I think I can see how you find see the grammar and punctuation distracting. It hasn't really bothered me much, but I'm only about 60 pages in. I do have to say though, the book is very easy to visualize. It's almost so real in my head. This being my first McCarthy, I'm quite interested in his other books now.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-19-2009, 10:03 PM
No Country For Old Men is good, though excedingly violent. However, I think the needless violence is kinda the point. It is written in a much more fluid manner than The Road, but I think that some of the poetic discription found in The Road is missing from this book.

cody44
11-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Yes, I've only seen the movie so I cannot comment on the book, the violence is very much the point. I think I might give All the Pretty Horses a shot sometime.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-19-2009, 11:17 PM
My next McCarthy book will be Blood Meridian. Though, I have several in "the stack" atop that one.

fernandito
11-20-2009, 07:56 AM
My next McCarthy book will be Blood Meridian. Though, I have several in "the stack" atop that one.

I'm reading Blood Meridian right now. It's frustratingly beautiful (to steal a phrase :D) in the sense that some pages will require more than one reading due to McCarthy's style and the amount of information and references that can be found in any given page can be a bit overwhelming at times. Despite that however, I'm still thoroughly enjoying it.

ola
11-20-2009, 08:34 AM
All the Pretty Horses is such a normal, romantic story compared to other books by him. It started way slow for me..put it away a couple times..but I ended up really enjoying it. Frank Muller reads the audiobook too!

candy
11-20-2009, 11:51 AM
i am reading UNDER THE DOME:dance::dance::dance::dance:

however, i nearly wasnt as the stupid delivery guy left the book on my doorstep....
in the pouring rain!!!! luckily it musnt have been there long, the box was drenched but the book was just slightly damp, but how stupid can you be!!!:pullhair:

Lily-sai
11-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Phew, candy!

I'm reading Under the Dome now as well, at long last. :)

Patrick
11-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Currently reading: UNDER THE DOME

How original of me.

ola
11-20-2009, 09:52 PM
I am now regretting assigning UTD to my "Christmas books" list (along with the new Psalms of Isaak book). :/

sarajean
11-21-2009, 11:34 AM
i just finished UTD yesterday, and didn't care for it all that much.

now i'm back to my h²g² re-read, which is always good times.

Brice
11-21-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm currently adding punctuation to all of Cormac McCarthy's books in red ink and then mailing them back to him with a grade.

jhanic
11-21-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm currently adding punctuation to all of Cormac McCarthy's books in red ink and then mailing them back to him with a grade.

:thumbsup:

John

idk, my bff jill?
11-21-2009, 02:24 PM
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd334/POW-lah/Stuff/400000000000000091185_s4.jpg

Patrick
11-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Brice: :wtf:

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd334/POW-lah/Stuff/400000000000000091185_s4.jpg

:thumbsup: I love David Sedaris.

Jean
11-22-2009, 03:52 AM
Choke (by Palahniuk, of course)

::triple meh::

Daghain
11-22-2009, 07:48 AM

Marry me? :lol:

John Blaze
11-22-2009, 02:30 PM
:lol:

Heather19
11-22-2009, 03:28 PM

You don't like it?

Patrick
11-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Apparently Jean isn't into it, Heather. Oh well, we'll miss him in the Chuck P. thread.

While still reading UNDER THE DOME, I am also reading THE EYES OF THE DRAGON for the first time.

Matt
11-22-2009, 05:33 PM
UtD...going to finish it tonight! :excited:

Brice
11-22-2009, 06:12 PM

Marry me? :lol:

I'm on my way, honey! :couple:

Wouldn't it be awesome to redline one of his books like that and then take it to a signing? :rofl:

gsvec
11-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Wouldn't it be awesome to redline one of his books like that and then take it to a signing? :rofl:
I'd pay you 50 bucks to do that, Brice - and get a picture of his reaction! Also with the caveat that you tell him that there ARE still people who read 800+ page non-mystery books, of course. :evil:

Brice
11-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Oh, if he did a signing nearby I'd do it for free. :D

Ruthful
11-22-2009, 09:53 PM
http://www.vandervat.co.uk/assets/dardanelles_disaster.jpg

Jean
11-23-2009, 01:23 AM

You don't like it?

Apparently Jean isn't into it, Heather. Oh well, we'll miss him in the Chuck P. thread.

I hope to post there sooner or later, only I am afraid what I can say will sound very much like what Hannah already said there.

I can't say I don't like it, or I can't say I like it; I don't find anything to like or dislike. It's the same sarcastic cud all over again, the same intellectual blah blah blah which makes one wonder how he can separate it into what he for some reason calls "novels". (more later, in the appropriate thread)

deanmc27
11-23-2009, 03:54 AM
I'm reading the Demonata series by Darran Shan, and the Power of 5 series by Anthony Horrowitz. Both were reccomended by friends

ManOfWesternesse
11-23-2009, 07:57 AM
I'm still Under the Dome - taking it slow & easy - Great Book so far!

Daghain
11-23-2009, 08:59 AM
While still reading UNDER THE DOME, I am also reading THE EYES OF THE DRAGON for the first time.

Can't wait to hear what you think of that one. It's one of my favorites.

Patrick
11-23-2009, 02:19 PM
While still reading UNDER THE DOME, I am also reading THE EYES OF THE DRAGON for the first time.Can't wait to hear what you think of that one. It's one of my favorites.
I'm about 150 pages into EOTD and I like it!

Daghain
11-23-2009, 02:40 PM
:clap:

Yay!