PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

CRinVA
02-13-2009, 06:39 AM
New Moon, by Stephanie Meyers. OK Shoot me but its fun in a campy sort of way! Easy to listen to during my commute. As soon as I finish I will continue with Book 7 in Jordan's Wheel of Time Series.

Depren
02-13-2009, 07:50 AM
currently reading Last Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko, the final book in the Night Watch series. Very original and although I'm usually not that much of a sci-fi fan these books are really good.

fernandito
02-13-2009, 07:57 AM
I plan on starting that series later in the year, Depren.

I watched Daywatch and I really liked it, but I decided I want to read the books before I watch the rest of the movies.

mae
02-13-2009, 12:54 PM
I saw the first film of the series and thought it was just okay. I wonder what Jean thinks about it, being Russian. Did you read the books, Jean? I wonder how the translation measures up. Sometimes when reading King I would think, "How in the world are they gonna translate that into another language?"

Jean
02-13-2009, 01:02 PM
I saw the first film of the series and thought it was just okay. I wonder what Jean thinks about it, being Russian. Did you read the books, Jean?
I tried to read it a few times, but always failed. Somehow it doesn't come up to what I expect of a Russian writer; I mean, he is awfully inventive (in his other books more than in those, I think; there's been three I actually finished), but he cares very little of the writing itself, and it's a pity; especially since there's a lot of really talented fantasy authors here. Lukianenko, however, proved to be the most translatable - both into the language of the cinema and into foreign languages - which, I believe, is closely connected with some mediocrity of his writing style. (I can't imagine Bushkov, Pelevin or Bykov in translation - those three are really fucking great, but being philosophers and writers par excellence, with delicious language and unparalleled, peculiar sense of humor, they can hardly be translated in the nearest future).

theBeamisHome
02-13-2009, 04:50 PM
i had to stop with the uglies thing it got too teeny for me.. couldn't take it.

The Lady of Shadows
02-13-2009, 11:49 PM
currently reading:

h.p. lovecraft: the fiction complete and unabridged (that giant omnibus thing)
the living dead edited by john joseph adams

currently listening to:

magic terror by peter straub (read it when it first came out but it's so much better on audio)

theBeamisHome
02-14-2009, 09:15 AM
i guess i should jump on the wagon and start back with the h.p. lovecraft as well. it's sitting on my end table right now.

Heather19
02-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Has anyone hear read The Notebook? I've been listening to the audio version (which actually happens to be read by George Guidall), however I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. I don't know if it's because I've already seen the movie a couple of times, which I absolutely loved, and I was expecting the book to be rather similar.

I guess I'll spoiler this for those that haven't read it yet, but
What I loved about the movie is that it showed them first falling in love, and spent probably about half the film with them when they were younger. So far the book only had a brief paragraph about that time, and it's all about their reunion. I'm already halfway thru disc 3 with only 2 more left, so I have a feeling the book is just going to be about this. Or am I wrong?

The Lady of Shadows
02-14-2009, 01:01 PM
i guess i should jump on the wagon and start back with the h.p. lovecraft as well. it's sitting on my end table right now.

yesssssssssss.

come. drink the h.p. lovecraft kool-aid.
you'll like it very much.

and if you don't, cthulhu will eat you so you don't have to worry about regrets. :P

Depren
02-14-2009, 01:39 PM
I plan on starting that series later in the year, Depren.

I watched Daywatch and I really liked it, but I decided I want to read the books before I watch the rest of the movies.

Damn I just watched the movies and am really disappointed... I mean the movies are fun to watch and action packed but lack the real story from the books. They do keep the same characters and some of the main plot but it's nearly close enough for me to enjoy it. uggg what do you expect though, the movies never live up to the standard the books set.

William50
02-14-2009, 01:42 PM
currently reading:

h.p. lovecraft: the fiction complete and unabridged (that giant omnibus thing)
the living dead edited by john joseph adams

currently listening to:

magic terror by peter straub (read it when it first came out but it's so much better on audio)

Ah Lovecraft. Just never gets old. :cool:

Brice
02-14-2009, 03:06 PM
very true :thumbsup:

mae
02-14-2009, 04:23 PM
About halfway through Duma Key. I'm loving it, muchachos. It's not often I'd be happy to be down with the flu for the past several days, but at least it's given me ample time to read.

gsvec
02-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich :lol:

The Cosmic Geek
02-14-2009, 05:55 PM
I just finished Sundays With Vlad, which is a non-fiction book about searching the history of both the historic Vlad the Impaler, Stokers Dracula, and how he became this huge icon. It was good, but the author kept going off on tangents I felt weren't necessary for the soul of the book. Stil, I love me some vampire stuff, and Drac is the granddaddy of vamps.

Starting now Dark Tower book 4.

ManOfWesternesse
02-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Still on my Silmarillion re-read.
Just finished the Quenta Silmarillion, and started the Akallabęth.

Gods, I'd forgotten just how twisted some of the old tales were, and how twisted some of the old Elves were! (The sons of Feanor anyone?) Great stuff though, he was a hell of a writer.

William50
02-16-2009, 03:50 PM
The Jigsaw Man - Gord Rollo

Creepy novel. :)

fernandito
02-16-2009, 04:10 PM
I just finished Sundays With Vlad, which is a non-fiction book about searching the history of both the historic Vlad the Impaler, Stokers Dracula, and how he became this huge icon.

Sounds interesting :orely:

mia/susannah
02-16-2009, 04:15 PM
I am finishing Hearts in Atlantis and starting another reread of the Dark Tower series.

theyspunaweb
02-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Just started Duma Key. Sad to say this will be book #3 so far this year for me.

William50
02-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Sad? :orely:

theBeamisHome
02-16-2009, 05:59 PM
yeah, i think ur doing excellent. keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Heather19
02-16-2009, 06:10 PM
3 books isn't bad at all, and Duma Key is a great read. Enjoy!

The Lady of Shadows
02-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Just started Duma Key. Sad to say this will be book #3 so far this year for me.

you have my deepest, most heartfelt sympathies. :rose:

William50
02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Not a fan of Duma Key? :scared:

jayson
02-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Still on my Silmarillion re-read.
Just finished the Quenta Silmarillion, and started the Akallabęth.

Gods, I'd forgotten just how twisted some of the old tales were, and how twisted some of the old Elves were! (The sons of Feanor anyone?) Great stuff though, he was a hell of a writer.

Yes, Feanor's sons had issues for sure. It was that damn oath. After taking an oath like that, they were damned if they did and damned if they didn't. The whole sordid tale gives a new meaning to "family jewels". And yes, he was a hell of a writer. I can't get enough of those stories.

The Lady of Shadows
02-16-2009, 10:08 PM

:nope:

Ruthful
02-16-2009, 10:18 PM
A Public Betrayed: An Inside Look at Japanese Media Atrocities and Their Warnings to the West, by Adam Gamble & Takesato Watanabe

Shutting Out The Sun: How Japan Created Its Lost Generation, by Michael Zielenziger

God & Man At Yale: The Superstitions Of "Academic Freedom," by William F. Buckley Jr.

Steaming To Bamboola: The World Of A Tramp Freighter, by Christopher Buckley

Martial's Epigrams: A Selection, edited and translated by Gary Wills

theyspunaweb
02-16-2009, 11:13 PM
I've heard lots of good things about Duma Key. I think that I will like the story for appeal or interest either way since I am an artist...so far the art references have been interesting. I'm only on like page 50.

ANd yeah! 3 books...I just wish I had more time to read, I have a huge list of books generated mostly from those recommended here that I want to read, and there is such little time. Or they are like 600+pages or a series. Insomnia took me a while since it was almost 800 pages, so hopefully this book will be kind of like a breeze, or at least a little less daunting. I think I will read It or Needful Things (because I have already bought it) next after Duma Key.

obscurejude
02-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Don't worry about the number three Bebe. I'm an extremely slow reader, but I think its a good thing. I retain a great deal, and I think active reading helps me to enjoy it a lot more, whether it be fiction, non fiction, or something academic. All my books have marginalia, numerous dog eared pages, and creases in the spine. If I'm going to intellectually feast, I want to enjoy each course and not get sick and throw up from eating it all at once.

wolverine0712
02-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Just finished Wolves of the Calla and am starting Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

lophophoras
02-17-2009, 07:36 AM
Brian Keene - Dead Sea

theyspunaweb
02-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Don't worry about the number three Bebe. I'm an extremely slow reader, but I think its a good thing. I retain a great deal, and I think active reading helps me to enjoy it a lot more, whether it be fiction, non fiction, or something academic. All my books have marginalia, numerous dog eared pages, and creases in the spine. If I'm going to intellectually feast, I want to enjoy each course and not get sick and throw up from eating it all at once.

Wow, that last sentence could be quoted all on it's own! It is true though, I tend to forget my favorite stories best parts...like the Ender Saga, I forgot the later books main stories because it's been so long and I zoomed through them. I want to go back and reread them now to fully appreciate them again. I feel like...dare I say it, I might even be starting to get old or something since I start to forget what books were about that I read just a year or two ago. It's extremely sad when you know you loved the books dearly.

Heather19
02-17-2009, 03:06 PM

Say it isn't so turtle! :(

Brian Keene - Dead Sea

Let me know how you enjoy this. I've got The Rising sitting on my bookshelf. I picked it up ages ago, but never really got into it and haven't gone back yet. Hopefully I'll find some time soon though, because I've heard good things about that one.

William50
02-17-2009, 03:18 PM

Brian Keene - Dead Sea

Let me know how you enjoy this. I've got The Rising sitting on my bookshelf. I picked it up ages ago, but never really got into it and haven't gone back yet. Hopefully I'll find some time soon though, because I've heard good things about that one.

The Rising was a GREAT read. My style of novel.

Heather19
02-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I don't think I really gave it a shot. I think I read the first chapter and then got sidetracked with something else. I definitely plan to go back and read it again.

William50
02-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I don't think I really gave it a shot. I think I read the first chapter and then got sidetracked with something else. I definitely plan to go back and read it again.

I do that all the time. It took me like a month to read Blaze because I kept finding new Tolkien novels. :)

The Lady of Shadows
02-17-2009, 04:38 PM

<snip>

tis true, tis true.

while i didn't loathe it on the level of gerald's game (my ultimate hate-on for a sai king novel) i was not enthralled with this piece of . . . ummmmmm . . . tripe.

and wireman just pissed me the hell off everytime he opened his fucking mouth. :pullhair:

Heather19
02-17-2009, 04:42 PM
while i didn't loathe it on the level of gerald's game (my ultimate hate-on for a sai king novel)

oh no, this breaks my heart :cry:
That's another one that I really enjoyed.

The Lady of Shadows
02-17-2009, 06:47 PM
while i didn't loathe it on the level of gerald's game (my ultimate hate-on for a sai king novel)

oh no, this breaks my heart :cry:
That's another one that I really enjoyed.

heather my girl. if you didn't :wub: tori i would really worry about you. :couple:

Daghain
02-17-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm about halfway through a reread of Gerald's Game right now. I forgot how good this book is. :D

William50
02-17-2009, 08:07 PM
I've never read that one. I MUST!:excited:

Daghain
02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
You should. Good psychological story.

William50
02-17-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm going to Borders in the morning. I might just pick myself up a copy. :orely:

The Lady of Shadows
02-17-2009, 10:20 PM
:rolleyes:

*sigh*

Daghain
02-17-2009, 10:52 PM
I know why you don't like it, t/s, but that doesn't mean others won't. :)

The Lady of Shadows
02-17-2009, 11:04 PM
oh i know. but that doesn't mean i can't tease them about it mercilessly. :P

ETA: and william if you don't buy a copy let me know, i'll lend you mine.

Daghain
02-18-2009, 08:54 AM
True. :D

Brice
02-18-2009, 09:14 AM
All my books have marginalia, numerous dog eared pages, and creases in the spine.

*makes a mental note to hide all his signed limited books when Ryan's around*

Wow, that last sentence could be quoted all on it's own! It is true though, I tend to forget my favorite stories best parts...like the Ender Saga, I forgot the later books main stories because it's been so long and I zoomed through them. I want to go back and reread them now to fully appreciate them again. I feel like...dare I say it, I might even be starting to get old or something since I start to forget what books were about that I read just a year or two ago. It's extremely sad when you know you loved the books dearly.

Well, if you forget alot (like me) it just gives you excuses for more rereads. I've read the gunslinger more than 25 times. I am certain there are people here who've read it once and remembered more. :lol:

Daghain
02-18-2009, 10:39 AM
It's fun to wait 20 years and then reread a book. Totally different story. :D

William50
02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
oh i know. but that doesn't mean i can't tease them about it mercilessly. :P

ETA: and william if you don't buy a copy let me know, i'll lend you mine.

Thanks turtlesong. :)

And I think I might do my first re-read of the entire DT series! :cool: Hells yeah.

ManOfWesternesse
02-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Finished my Silmarillion re-read.

Now started a HP re-read.

a fan
02-18-2009, 02:06 PM
the dark tower 4 wizard and glass

William50
02-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Im going to read me sooome E.A. Poe!!!:rock:

Heather19
02-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Im going to read me sooome E.A. Poe!!!:rock:

I actually got a copy of his complete collection for christmas. I was going to start going thru it in between other books. It's been so long since I've read his stuff.

And definitely pick up Gerald's Game at some point.

William50
02-18-2009, 03:11 PM
[quote=William50;340491]Im going to read me sooome E.A. Poe!!!:rock:

I actually got a copy of his complete collection for christmas. I was going to start going thru it in between other books. It's been so long since I've read his stuff.QUOTE]

That is exactly what I do. After I finish a novel, I spend a few nights reading Poe stories. :)

Heather19
02-18-2009, 05:15 PM
I finished listening to The Notebook today. I think this is one of the rare occurrences where I much prefer the movie to the book. I honestly didn't really care for the book all that much.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-18-2009, 09:24 PM
I am rereading Pet Sematary.

I am also rereading Poe's complete works.
Since New Year's so far I have read
Narrative of A Gordon Pym
Goldbug
Murders in the Rue Morgue
Currently: Mystery of Marie Roget.

I am reading the stories in between books too.

William50
02-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Pet Sematary is one of my favorite King novels. I need to do a re-read...

theyspunaweb
02-18-2009, 11:43 PM
All my books have marginalia, numerous dog eared pages, and creases in the spine.

*makes a mental note to hide all his signed limited books when Ryan's around*

Well, if you forget alot (like me) it just gives you excuses for more rereads. I've read the gunslinger more than 25 times. I am certain there are people here who've read it once and remembered more. :lol:

25 times, oh my! That is intense, the most I've probably ever re-read a book is Ender's Game...at like 3 or 4 times. Pretty short stuff. I mean to re-read stuff but have so much more that I want to explore, so I guess it will give me a lot of room for re-reads in the future :)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-18-2009, 11:46 PM
I could never read a book for the 25th time. So many books, so short a life.

theyspunaweb
02-18-2009, 11:52 PM
yeah! I've found a lot of what I think look like good books through the forums here from you guys.

and brownings childe (love your quote, I have a similar one, with nastier phrases in my facebook quote section) + what is the avatar from? so creepy, it seems so familiar...it's not dark night right...hmm?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-19-2009, 12:07 AM
what is the avatar from? so creepy, it seems so familiar...it's not dark night right...hmm?

It is a picture of one of the members of Slipknot.

Heather19
02-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Couldn't wait to read some Poe, so I went with an old favorite Ligeia. I'll probably end up reading a few more tonight before I go back to my other book.

Ruthful
02-20-2009, 10:53 AM
what is the avatar from? so creepy, it seems so familiar...it's not dark night right...hmm?

It is a picture of one of the members of Slipknot.

It looks more like one of the members of ICP.

theyspunaweb
02-20-2009, 01:29 PM
yeah...oh well I thought it was going to be from a movie or something. I don't listen to either band. Funny though because I am reading Duma Key, and the part I just read, King just mentioned Slipknot.

Ruthful
02-20-2009, 01:38 PM
That's one of the more irritating aspects of King's (recent) writing. I suppose I didn't notice it in his early works of fiction-either because they were much better, or I didn't feel as close to the temporal pop cultural references-but it's probably one of the reasons I haven't liked most of his recent work. In fact, I think the only King book I've completed since finishing the final, eponymous volume of The Dark Tower is his latest collection of short stories, and even that isn't nearly as good as any of his previous collections.

obscurejude
02-20-2009, 03:22 PM
All the Pretty Horses- Cormac McCarthy

Unfound One
02-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Ethical Writings - Peter Abelard

William50
02-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Cell - SK :orely:

LadyHitchhiker
02-20-2009, 05:13 PM
V the second generation

Ruthful
02-20-2009, 07:11 PM
This is probably an idiotic question, but "V" is a book?

:orely:

fernandito
02-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Just finished Slumdog Millionaire. Loved it.

Picking up where I left off on A Storm of Swords.

William50
02-20-2009, 07:23 PM
This is probably an idiotic question, but "V" is a book?

:orely:

Thats what I was thinking! :P

Ruthful
02-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Well, I assumed the TV miniseries was based upon something, then again, I'm always off on things like this. For example, I didn't realize that there was a comic book series that was actually an adaptation of The Terminator until someone on this forum pointed it out to me.

Darkthoughts
02-21-2009, 03:21 AM
I'm trying to read Darren Shan's Procession Of The Dead again. I started it last year and ended up dropping it in favour of something else. It's not a bad book, just starts a bit too slowly.

Brice
02-21-2009, 04:32 AM
[quote=William50;340491]Im going to read me sooome E.A. Poe!!!:rock:

I actually got a copy of his complete collection for christmas. I was going to start going thru it in between other books. It's been so long since I've read his stuff.QUOTE]

That is exactly what I do. After I finish a novel, I spend a few nights reading Poe stories. :)

I have a copy of his stories only (no poems) from the late 1800s or early 1900s. It has some different titles and minor textual differences from our modern editions. I paid $1.00 for it. :D

Heather19
02-21-2009, 08:25 AM
Nice find there Brice!
I've actually got an old copy of this book called Handy Volume Classics, that's 13 tales from him. I'm not sure the date it was published, but there's an inscription in the front that's dated from Dec 25, 1910. So I'm assuming it was a christmas present to someone. I've also got an old copy of Murders in the Rue Morgue, but have no idea how old this one might be. I haven't gone thru either one, especially the first because it's about to fall apart, but now you've got me curious.

lophophoras
02-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Raining and cold here today, so I stopped by my favorite bookstore and picked up Ghoul by Brian Keene.

ladysai
02-21-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm fully immersed in "Lion in the Valley" by Elizabeth Peters.
I LOVE the Amelia Peabody mysteries!
:wub:

William50
02-21-2009, 06:08 PM
The Stand - SK

bluelph24
02-22-2009, 11:57 AM
2666 - Roberto Bolańo

William50
02-22-2009, 12:06 PM
NICE SIG!! :rock:

Jean
02-22-2009, 03:11 PM
have finished Coraline

triple meh

Daghain
02-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Oh, bummer! I really like it.

William50
02-22-2009, 05:10 PM
I finished The Stand... and now I think I might just read some Poe. :rolleyes:

Heather19
02-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Man, you're such a fast reader. I wish I could do that.
And you can never go wrong with Poe. After reading a couple of stories, it was hard to tear myself away to go finish my other book.

William50
02-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Man, you're such a fast reader. I wish I could do that.
And you can never go wrong with Poe. After reading a couple of stories, it was hard to tear myself away to go finish my other book.

I do read quite quickly. :)

I've been reading alot of Poe's poetry over the past few weeks. I'm starting to like it more and more.

jayson
02-23-2009, 05:45 AM
Just finished The Time Traveler's Wife last night. Excellent book! (Thanks Tempus Frangit :))

Now reading All Yesterday's Parties: The Velvet Underground in Print which is a collection of articles and reviews of the VU compiled and edited by Clinton Heylin.

Jean
02-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Oh, bummer! I really like it.
::surprised bear::

why???????????

Daghain
02-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Why? It's a dark children's story - what's not to love?

I thought it was well written and interesting. :D

Jean
02-23-2009, 02:31 PM
I see. I am afraid I didn't find it well written - I mean, everything mentioned there, any category used, any idea developed or action taken (door; the other mother; kid saving her parents; abandoned theater; souls kept captive, etc etc etc) has been used before, by other writers, and most of those other books were endlessly better written than that one. (The only thing I can say about Coraline herself, besides the fact that every time I saw that name I wanted to bearmaul the writer, is that soon she won't fit through any door, given her food preferences. The rest is a generic "good girl", a little adapted for modern tastes.) The text itself reads as a transcript of a movie, not as a book where text should have any value besides its descriptive ability; thus, on the bright side, I can say it should make a watchable movie (which it seems it did).

Daghain
02-23-2009, 02:34 PM
I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't say. I thought it was a fun read, but yeah, I definitely wouldn't put it on the list of great pieces of fiction. :)

Ruthful
02-23-2009, 09:39 PM
http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/_images/ISBNCovers/Covers_Enlarged/9780446576512_388X586.jpg

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-23-2009, 10:12 PM
I liked Coraline, and I think I would have liked it alot more at 8 years old, as is the intended audience.

Daghain
02-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Just finished a reread of Gerald's Game and am now reading We're All in this Together by Owen King.

Lady_Macbeth
02-25-2009, 11:34 PM
As for me I'm currently reading Time and Again by Jack Finney, because I have to write a paper on it for history class, though I'm finding the book very enjoyable! (Reading a sci-fi book as a school requirement is a dream come true for me!)

I'm also reading Dianetics: Modern Science of Mental Health by L. Ron Hubbard, which has been absolutely mind blowing! It will change your life, I promise you that!

Ruthful
02-26-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm also reading Dianetics: Modern Science of Mental Health by L. Ron Hubbard, which has been absolutely mind blowing! It will change your life, I promise you that!

Oh my, I hope that last part is sarcasm.

:panic:

Lady_Macbeth
02-26-2009, 12:36 AM

Don't knock it till' you've tried it! :P

lophophoras
02-26-2009, 04:21 AM
The Pines by Robert Dunbar

Randall Flagg
02-26-2009, 07:39 AM
I just read Ghoul and The Rising by Brian Keene. I am about 2/3 through Going to see the Elephant by Rhodes Fishburne-wow it is a great read.

lophophoras
02-26-2009, 09:13 AM
I just read Ghoul and The Rising by Brian Keene. I am about 2/3 through Going to see the Elephant by Rhodes Fishburne-wow it is a great read.

Both of those were great reads! Brian Keene is a easy read for me. I really like his stuff.

Daghain
02-26-2009, 10:04 AM

:panic:

That was my thought exactly. :lol:

Randall Flagg
02-26-2009, 02:49 PM

Both of those were great reads! Brian Keene is a easy read for me. I really like his stuff.

The Rising was dark, depressing, and sad.

The ending was ambiguous but in my opinion a real downer.

Matt
02-26-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm reading 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill.

I finally got a paperback copy so I don't have to hurt my signed one...it's very good.

Heather19
02-26-2009, 03:50 PM
I love that book!

Almost done with Water For Elephants. I'm really enjoying it.

Also does anyone have any good audiobooks they'd recommend.

Matt
02-26-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm listening to the third Dexter book right now, they are cool productions.

Of course, any of Kings books are great but Bag of Bones is the best imo.

lophophoras
02-26-2009, 04:09 PM

The Rising was dark, depressing, and sad.

The ending was ambiguous but in my opinion a real downer.

Dead Sea was also. The stuff of nightmares.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-26-2009, 04:52 PM
I am still rereading Pet Sematary, and I just had to mention that I was surprised by how differently this book has affected me since I became a father. I have read the book 3 times before this and it never affected me so strongly. My point of view has changed dramatically, and this book has evoked much more powerful emotions than it has in the past.

Heather19
03-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Well since I've been stranded at home today with nothing to do, I decided to start Invisible Monsters. I'm already about a third of the way thru. I'm loving it so far.

mystima
03-02-2009, 07:40 PM
am currently in a re-read of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows.

The Lady of Shadows
03-02-2009, 07:49 PM
just finished listening to fool by christopher moore. i highly recommend either reading it or listening to it (i actually laughed out loud while listening and since i listen in bed before falling asleep that made for some difficulties. . . and one very pissed off dog who was trying to sleep. :lol: )

am currently listening to lamb, also by christopher moore.
yeah, i know how many times can one person read the same damn book . . . oh wait. :wtf:

also reading The Torah.

Darkmaniscoming
03-02-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm dying to get to Heart-Shaped box and the new Chuck Palahniuk book. I'll probably go buy both sometime next weekend.

The new Chuck book Pygmy is out???? Or did you mean Snuff?
Snuff is outa hand....true Chuck spirit!!!http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/smilies/excited.gif
Can't wait to grab Pygmy if indeed its hit the stands..

Lost Rose
03-02-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm reading Just After Sunset and listening to Black House..again.

Darkmaniscoming
03-02-2009, 08:10 PM
I went to a Chris Cleave reading last week and read his first book Incendiary like the next day...I loved it...reminded me sort of Fowles' Collector or Banks' Wasp Factory (two all time faves) Had to get right into Cleaves new book Little Bee (The Other Hand in UK) and just got to the infamous beach scene and am glued to it to see what this big mystery ending that critics are talking about....
Really Awesome guy by the way...

Ruthful
03-03-2009, 05:14 AM
http://www.yorkblog.com/books/patchett.jpg

Mai
03-03-2009, 05:38 AM
I am currently reading The Waste Lands. I am very anxious to finish the series!!!!!:excited:

fernandito
03-03-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm starting Twilight today.

:|

jayson
03-03-2009, 08:34 AM
So should I laugh at you in advance for wasting your time or wait until you're done? :P

fernandito
03-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Surprise me :lol:

lophophoras
03-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Old Flames - Jack Ketchum

AlishaRiley
03-03-2009, 08:42 AM
On The Road - Jack Kerouac.

Only just starting it, I'm pretty excited.

The Lady of Shadows
03-03-2009, 09:09 AM

OH MY GOD. did they give you teenage girl glasses? is that why you haven't posted a pic? :wtf:

fernandito
03-03-2009, 09:11 AM
:lol: NO.

My co worker made me promise her I'd read it (it's her book), and I just couldn't say no to those pretty eyes and that big butt :blush:

jayson
03-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Surprise me :lol:

Duly noted. I hereby claim one "laugh at Feev" to be redeemed at any time without notice.

On The Road - Jack Kerouac.

Only just starting it, I'm pretty excited.

I re-read that in January (first book of 2009). I :wub: that book, and most of Kerouac's other work too.

AlishaRiley
03-03-2009, 09:44 AM
I'll trust your opinion - it seems like a bloody good read already, I can't wait to get into it properly. It's the only Kerouac book I've got, but if this goes well, I'm sure to buy more. :)

jayson
03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
And then once you get into your study of philosophy you can check out Kerouac's Some of the Dharma, which is his vast collection of notes and reactions to his readings of Buddhist texts. :D

AlishaRiley
03-03-2009, 09:53 AM
:clap: The excitement is bubbling.
I wonder what life would be like if I couldn't read...I think that'd be my worst nightmare.

jayson
03-03-2009, 09:56 AM
No doubt. If I couldn't read I'd probably have lost my mind a long time ago. Reading is the one thing that's made my long-standing insomnia bearable.

AlishaRiley
03-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Snap - I go through sleepless phases rather than fully blown insomnia, but I can see where you're coming from! Sometimes, I BLAME books for not sleeping - I'll go through weeks where I don't want to do ANYTHING but read. I'll go through a book a night on occasion.

jayson
03-03-2009, 10:16 AM
:lol:
There are definitely some nights where I don't care all that much that I'm not sleeping because I love what I'm reading.

Heather19
03-03-2009, 02:32 PM
The new Chuck book Pygmy is out???? Or did you mean Snuff?
Snuff is outa hand....true Chuck spirit!!!http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/images/smilies/excited.gif
Can't wait to grab Pygmy if indeed its hit the stands..

I'm assuming that was in reference to Snuff. Pygmy isn't out until May I believe.

Feev, let me know what you think of it. I actually picked it up a couple of months ago, after all my friends were harassing me to read it, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I keep pushing it to the back of the line.

Ruthful
03-03-2009, 07:39 PM

Isn't that a book for thirteen year-old girls?

Mad Man
03-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Dealing with The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski at the moment :) loving it so far. :rock:

The Lady of Shadows
03-04-2009, 09:47 AM

Ruthful
03-05-2009, 12:00 AM

Okay, maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration.

On one subway car a few weeks ago I saw three different women simultaneously reading from Stephanie Meyer's novels, which I guess just goes to demonstrate how much chicks dig vampires.

ManOfWesternesse
03-05-2009, 02:35 AM
Still on my current HP re-read. Now on Goblet of Fire.

lophophoras
03-05-2009, 03:56 AM
Rot - Gary Brandner

The Lady of Shadows
03-05-2009, 11:39 AM

Okay, maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration.

On one subway car a few weeks ago I saw three different women simultaneously reading from Stephanie Meyer's novels, which I guess just goes to demonstrate how much chicks dig vampires.

so . . . you're saying feev is a chick? :P

gsvec
03-05-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm doing a re-read of The Talisman - on my Kindle!

Heather19
03-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Currently listening to Rita Hayworth & Shawshank Redemption on audio. I remember liking the story the first time I read it, but now I'm absolutely in love with it. It's such a good story.

SigTauGimp
03-05-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm doing a re-read of The Talisman - on my Kindle!

I am too! But as an E-Book on my 'puter. :P

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-06-2009, 05:55 PM
The Long Road Home

William50
03-06-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm about to re-read Duma Key. I read it the first time a week before school started, so I feel like I may have rushed through it. :orely:

Heather19
03-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Enjoy! I've been thinking about going back and revisiting that one as well.

William50
03-06-2009, 08:25 PM
I was also thinking of re-reading the DT series from start to finish... :rock:

I miss Roland. :lol:

Anastasia
03-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Actually I’ve got several books on my 'currently reading' list. The first priority goes of course to the Dark Tower book 7. But at the same time I’m reading short story "The Little Sisters of Eluria" and “Frankenstein” by Mary Shelley. The last two are in original (in English), so they go a bit slower than I want them too.

lophophoras
03-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Berserk - Tim Lebbon

jhanic
03-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Gaiman's Coraline. It's very interesting.

John

candy
03-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Actually I’ve got several books on my 'currently reading' list. The first priority goes of course to the Dark Tower book 7. But at the same time I’m reading short story "The Little Sisters of Eluria" and “Frankenstein” by Mary Shelley. The last two are in original (in English), so they go a bit slower than I want them too.

i enjoyed frankenstein, it is a hard going book, but i felt it was worth it when i got to the end. although a lot of people i know dont rate it at all

i am currently re-reading insomnia and thoroughly enjoying it:rock:

Anastasia
03-09-2009, 03:27 AM
i enjoyed frankenstein, it is a hard going book, but i felt it was worth it when i got to the end. although a lot of people i know dont rate it at all

i am currently re-reading insomnia and thoroughly enjoying it:rock:

Actually I saw the movie first and later decided to read the book. I'm liking it so far. Yes, it's pretty hard as the language is quite difficult sometimes. And I guess there're a lot of words which are not commonly used nowadays.

jhanic
03-09-2009, 03:57 AM
I've finished Coraline and am going to start Simmons' Drood. It's a big book!

John

Heather19
03-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I've finished Coraline and am going to start Simmons' Drood. It's a big book!

John

Let me know how it is. I'm looking forward to this one.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Flipping houses for dummies

Darkthoughts
03-10-2009, 04:51 AM
Just ordered Tim Powers Last Call off Amazon. I've heard alot of good things about it.

fernandito
03-10-2009, 07:21 AM
What's it about, Lisa?

Ruthful
03-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Welcome to Obamaland: I have seen your future and it doesn't work, by James Delingpole

Washington Schlepped Here: Walking in the Nation's Capita, by Christopher Buckley

ManOfWesternesse
03-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Still on the HP re-read - reading Order of the Phoenix now.

theyspunaweb
03-10-2009, 04:02 PM
finished Duma...now I don't know what to do next, I don't have either any of the books on my list yet for the next round of reading (It, The Stand). The only book I have is Needful Things that I haven't read yet. I could always re-read something.

Last night I got a really random urge to buy my first audio book, and IT was no where to be found (on iTunes at least) so I was posponed.

Heather19
03-10-2009, 04:17 PM
What did you think of Duma Key?
Check out the audio version of Bag of Bones. King reads it himself, and he does a wonderful job. I also just listened to Rita Hayworth & Shawshank Redemption which is narrated by Frank Muller. If you can find that one anywhere I would highly recommend it.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-10-2009, 05:03 PM
finished Duma...now I don't know what to do next, I don't have either any of the books on my list yet for the next round of reading (It, The Stand). The only book I have is Needful Things that I haven't read yet. I could always re-read something.

Last night I got a really random urge to buy my first audio book, and IT was no where to be found (on iTunes at least) so I was posponed.

Needful Things is pretty good. If you havent read it, I would go with that.

theyspunaweb
03-10-2009, 11:03 PM
I just bought IT and a handful of others at Halfprice books (the best bookstore!)...I'm torn over what to start now that I have it. I have wanted to read Needful Things.

I liked Duma Key a lot. I feel like it's one I'd like to re-read like others have said before. I will write more about it in the thread.

lophophoras
03-11-2009, 02:51 AM
Dark Mountain - Richard Laymon

fernandito
03-11-2009, 02:59 AM
I'm just about to finish Twilight (:|), and then I'll continue through my read of A Storm of Swords and possibly pick up Order of the Phoenix.

lophophoras
03-11-2009, 03:08 AM
So how has Twilight been so far?

;)

fernandito
03-11-2009, 03:12 AM
You know, it's actually ok, but I feel that it could have been a lot better if in every other page there wasn't a description of how perfect and beautiful Edward is :lol: It's like alright dude, we get it, he's amazing, and perfect, and when he passes gas it smells like cinnamon :rolleyes:

lophophoras
03-11-2009, 03:14 AM
LOL...

Darkmaniscoming
03-11-2009, 05:31 AM
Thought I'd give a local author a chance:
Started Andrew Pyper ~ Killing Circle

Matt
03-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I love seeing all of these people reading books they won at auction. I have finished reading 20th Century Ghosts (loved it!)--now I'm moving on to Drood.

I cannot have a book in my collection I haven't read.

Heather19
03-11-2009, 01:45 PM
I just bought IT and a handful of others at Halfprice books (the best bookstore!)...I'm torn over what to start now that I have it. I have wanted to read Needful Things.

I liked Duma Key a lot. I feel like it's one I'd like to re-read like others have said before. I will write more about it in the thread.

Definitely It. You won't regret it.

Daghain
03-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Just finished We're All in this Together by Owen King and am now reading Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings.

jayson
03-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Finished Vonnegut's Welcome to the Monkey House. Now reading This Wheel's On Fire: Levon Helm & The Story of The Band by Levon Helm.

theyspunaweb
03-11-2009, 09:17 PM

Definitely It. You won't regret it.

Well, that's the one I went with! it looks like it's pretty long...but I went to the store because I was excited to get it...so I obviously had IT in mind! haha! I'm only a few pages in but I can already tell it really will be much different than the movie. I'm excited.

Unfound One
03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm just about to finish Twilight (:|), and then I'll continue through my read of A Storm of Swords and possibly pick up Order of the Phoenix.

Or will you start New Moon? :evil:

You know, it's actually ok, but I feel that it could have been a lot better if in every other page there wasn't a description of how perfect and beautiful Edward is :lol: It's like alright dude, we get it, he's amazing, and perfect, and when he passes gas it smells like cinnamon :rolleyes:

What about his velvet voice? And how he dazzles her? And his golden eyes?
You forgot those. They're very important.

:cyclops:

fernandito
03-12-2009, 04:57 AM

No...not yet at least. I've had too much perfection for this month. I'll start New Moon later on in the year, after the books mentioned above and the next Harry Potter book :excited:

LadyHitchhiker
03-12-2009, 08:06 AM
I just finished reading

Pandemonium by daryl gregory (if you like American Gods, you may like this book)
Contagious by Scott Sigler (excellent!!!)
We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee (bleh)
The compassion of animals by kristin von kreisler (very good)
beauty in the bests by kristin von kreisler (excellent)
the book of animal ignorance by john lloyd and john mitchinson (funny but educational)
a lion called christian by anthony bourke and john rendall (short, lacking the ending the video did but this is not the re-release)

and I am now reading just after sunset, (barely started)
gil's diner, (don't remember who wrote that, but am annoyed that the main characters are named Duke and Earl, so it's confusing to me so far)
dark banquet by bill schutt (a little weird)
and a supremely bad idea by dempsey (truly funny so far)

Justin Case
03-12-2009, 08:51 AM
I love seeing all of these people reading books they won at auction. I have finished reading 20th Century Ghosts (loved it!)--now I'm moving on to Drood.

I cannot have a book in my collection I haven't read.

I'm really loving Drood, but then again I'm a huge Simmons fan and loved The Terror too. The research this man does is incredible. I'm only under 200pgs in so I still have lots to look forward to.

Matt
03-12-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm interested in the topic for sure, and his writing style is great.

jhanic
03-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm about 1/4 the way through Drood, and am also amazed at the research Simmons must have done! A look at the Acknowledgements at the back of the book gives a hint on how thorough he was. I was also very impressed with The Terror.

John

Heather19
03-12-2009, 01:49 PM
I might just have to break my book buying ban to go pick up Drood. All this talk about it is really making me want to read it. I loved The Terror. I just finished it probably about a month ago. I had heard some not so great reviews about it, but I was completely caught up in it, and didn't want to put it down. The only thing I didn't care about was the last 70-80 pages. I thought it would have been better had he ended it sooner. That part just didn't seem to flow smoothly with the rest of the story in my opinion.

Well, that's the one I went with! it looks like it's pretty long...but I went to the store because I was excited to get it...so I obviously had IT in mind! haha! I'm only a few pages in but I can already tell it really will be much different than the movie. I'm excited.

Excellent! It's nothing like the miniseries. There's so much more to that story than what they were able to show on screen. I hope you enjoy it.

Juelle
03-12-2009, 03:00 PM
I am currently reading "Pillers of the Earth". Fantastic book!

lophophoras
03-13-2009, 03:18 AM
Treasure of Eden - S. L. Linnea

Matt
03-13-2009, 08:35 AM
I am currently reading "Pillers of the Earth". Fantastic book!

This is next to listen to for me, I'm real jazzed about it.

gillie
03-14-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm halfway through Beach Music by Pat Conroy, but after seeing so many mentions of Drood - I may have to download that one sooner than planned. lol
Has anyone read "the book thief"?

3 DOORS DOWN
03-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Just finished book 2 in the Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake,this is one strange book.
Now starting to read Stephen king goes to the movies a collection of 5 of his books that have been made into movies.
And yes gillie i have read the BOOK THIEF a story about a small german girl in world war 2.I heard a good review of it so gave it a go and found it a good book.

William50
03-14-2009, 12:46 PM
I just began reading Dracula by Bram Stoker.

Billy - Bumbler
03-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Just finished "Innocent Man" by John Grisham, very sad and maddening at the same time! Half way through "By The Light Of The Moon" by Dean Koontz. It's OK, but he's written much better novels!

Jon
03-15-2009, 05:54 AM
Just finished my second read of Sun Tsu's "Art of War." LOVE it!

SigTauGimp
03-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Just finished The Talisman and World War Z...probably gonna start on a re-read of Black House now.

I'd love to read "The Pirate King", a continuation of R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt series, (part 2 of the "Transitions" trilogy) but I can't find the damn thing anywhere.:pullhair:

Letti
03-16-2009, 12:30 AM
rereading DT7 (at home) and reading short stories by Oscar Wilde (on the bus)

mystima
03-16-2009, 01:45 AM
just finished The Gunslinger:Revised version. it is kinda weird that the man in black was saying that he keeps doing stuff wrong every time

lophophoras
03-16-2009, 04:32 AM
Crimson - Gord Rollo

Girlystevedave
03-16-2009, 07:28 AM
After months of Harry Potter withdrawal, I've finally started Order of the Phoenix. :rock:

The King of Kings
03-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Watchmen and World War Z.

Plan on re reading Half Blood Prince about a week or two before the movie comes out.

sarajean
03-16-2009, 08:55 AM
my dad got me the harry potter UK hardcover box set for christmas. since we had christmas when we arrived on friday night, i'm re-reading them all. about half-way through philosopher's stone.

Ruthful
03-16-2009, 10:44 PM
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/14400000/14402461.JPG

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/36280000/36289297.JPG

AlishaRiley
03-17-2009, 01:15 AM
Just finished Jack Kerouac's On The Road, and it was truly fucking brilliant.
The last paragraph made me cry...:P
It was wonderful.

Moving onto The Girl Who loved Tom Gordon today...for the first time. :D I'm excited!

jayson
03-17-2009, 03:49 AM
Just finished Jack Kerouac's On The Road, and it was truly fucking brilliant.

Hooray! Glad you enjoyed it Alisha. :D

lophophoras
03-17-2009, 05:13 AM
City Infernal - Edward Lee

DoctorDodge
03-17-2009, 06:11 AM
Finished Watchmen the other day, fucking spectacular! I can certainly see what all the hype was all about!

Now i'm currently wading my way through Insomnia. Haven't read a Dark Tower related book in quite a while. Shame on me, shame on me!

fernandito
03-17-2009, 06:33 AM
Finished Watchmen the other day, fucking spectacular! I can certainly see what all the hype was all about!

Excellent! Are you planning on watching the movie?

DoctorDodge
03-17-2009, 06:39 AM

Excellent! Are you planning on watching the movie?

Already seen it! Took me a while to actually begin to like it, since there were SO many things done in the film that worked so incredibly well in the comic, but by the end I decided that I actually loved the film. Oh, compared to the comic, it's shite, but that's not surprising. The graphic novel is as close to perfection as a graphic novel can get. But I must admit I think that Zack Snyder did a great job making a minimum shite film. In fact, it reminds me of one of my favourite film quotes is:

It's shite...but it's GREAT shite!

mae
03-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Just finished Duma Key last night (took me a month a ten days, according to my trusty "2009 Reading List" Excel spreadsheet - geeky!), and right away started reading It. I'd started It once before, about 10 years ago or so, and didn't read much of it at all; just couldn't get into it for some reason. Maybe just the size of it was daunting. Now I'm older and wiser and have no such fears :)

Heather19
03-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Just finished Duma Key last night (took me a month a ten days, according to my trusty "2009 Reading List" Excel spreadsheet - geeky!), and right away started reading It. I'd started It once before, about 10 years ago or so, and didn't read much of it at all; just couldn't get into it for some reason. Maybe just the size of it was daunting. Now I'm older and wiser and have no such fears :)

The same thing happened to me when I initially picked it up. I just couldn't get past the first section. Years later when I decided to give it another go, I breezed right thru it, and it's become my favorite book. I hope you enjoy it this time around!

mia/susannah
03-19-2009, 03:14 PM
I just went out and purchased the Twilight series, all 4 books. Figured I would give them a try. Iam fixing to start reading them.

Daghain
03-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Just finished Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings and am now reading The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson.

jhanic
03-20-2009, 03:34 AM
I just finished Drood. An extremely engrossing read. Nothing supernatural in there--or is there?? I REALLY enjoyed it.

I think I'll be reading the Dark Tower: Treachery arc, then the Stand: Captain Trips arc next. (I wait until I have all the issues before I read them.)

John

Cort
03-21-2009, 02:56 AM
Just finished It am readind DT7 (when travelling) and have just read the first few pages of black house

bluelph24
03-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Finally finished 2666
and finished death of a salesman

now reading:
The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

and, for school:
Parallel Worlds - Michio Kaku

Míchéal
03-21-2009, 02:56 PM
The State of the World - Iain M Banks

William50
03-21-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm about to re-read the Green Mile by SK. This is my 5th or 6th re-read. :P

mae
03-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Finally finished 2666

King mentioned 2666 in "Ur". Sounds like an interesting novel.

bluelph24
03-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Finally finished 2666

did he? i don't have a kindle, so haven't read UR yet. but what'd the man have to say about 2666?

SigTauGimp
03-21-2009, 10:10 PM
3/4 through Black House.

Been ages since I've read it. :D

IWasSentWest
03-21-2009, 10:26 PM
chronicles of the black company : books of the south......glen cook

mae
03-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Finally finished 2666

did he? i don't have a kindle, so haven't read UR yet. but what'd the man have to say about 2666?

He called it "a crazy book, but sort of interesting."

sarajean
03-22-2009, 09:52 AM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/sarajeanm/1237604612.jpg

Brice
03-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Cool cover! I'd never seen that one.

sarajean
03-22-2009, 09:56 AM
that's cos it's the UK adult version. :P

(i got the box set for xmas)

Brice
03-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Ah, I see. I have seen the UK firsts, but not those. And I do have a copy of philospher's stone Lisa sent to me. That is my only UK HP.

alinda
03-22-2009, 10:05 AM
I have at this moment a brand new book sitting at ome waiting for me , it is a copy of SK's Just after Sunset, I am gonna start it as soon as I get home tonight:excited:

sarajean
03-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Ah, I see. I have seen the UK firsts, but not those. And I do have a copy of philospher's stone Lisa sent to me. That is my only UK HP. the covers are all amazing.

bluelph24
03-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Finally finished 2666

He called it "a crazy book, but sort of interesting."

ha. fair description. i liked it. worth a read

Brice
03-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Ah, I see. I have seen the UK firsts, but not those. And I do have a copy of philospher's stone Lisa sent to me. That is my only UK HP. the covers are all amazing.

post 'em?

sarajean
03-22-2009, 10:27 AM

post 'em?

i'll pm them to you so that i don't have to clutter a thread. :)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-22-2009, 03:08 PM
rereading The Shining:thumbsup:

SigTauGimp
03-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Just finished Black House. Totally forgot how awesome it was...hadn't read it since 7'th grade. I really hope that story continues in the future.

Wanting to read The Pirate King, from R.A. Salvatore next...I just have to get my grubby little paws on a copy first. :D

In the meantime, I'll placate myself with Robot Dreams, a short story collection by Issac Asimov.

bluelph24
03-25-2009, 02:59 AM
Watchmen and Philosophy: A Rorschach Test - edited by Mark D. White

fernandito
03-25-2009, 11:35 AM
How is that? I was going to pick that up when I saw it at my comic shop last week, but I ended up not taking it. Is it any good?

bluelph24
03-25-2009, 12:25 PM
How is that? I was going to pick that up when I saw it at my comic shop last week, but I ended up not taking it. Is it any good?

um, i've only read the first essay so far, so i can't give a really good review yet. from what i've read it seems like it's pretty cool. i'm looking forward to the essay about finding nietzsche's ubermensch in the gn. i'll give you a better review as i get deeper in

Darkmaniscoming
03-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Just finished "The Killing Circle" by Andrew Pyper and wow I was impressed.
I think King fans would enjoy this one...kinda like Dark Half meets Secret Window.
Thought I had it figured out many times...but to my surprise, the ending threw me for a loop. I'm gonna try to dig up some more of this guys stuff, think he has 3 more.

Ruthful
03-26-2009, 02:54 AM
http://ebooks-imgs.connect.com/ebooks/product/400/000/000/000/000/050/336/400000000000000050336_s4.jpg

theyspunaweb
03-26-2009, 01:32 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Bv3MQl-hL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
right this second that is!

Also still working on IT, only 200 deep but I just went on break so I think I'll finish it up now!

Matt
03-26-2009, 02:12 PM
I just finished Drood. An extremely engrossing read. Nothing supernatural in there--or is there?? I REALLY enjoyed it.

I think I'll be reading the Dark Tower: Treachery arc, then the Stand: Captain Trips arc next. (I wait until I have all the issues before I read them.)

John

Drood has me fully sucked in John, I only wish I had more time to read.

I may have to close myself up this weekend and get something done.

fernandito
03-26-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm intrigued! What's this Drood that everyone keeps talking about?!

Matt
03-26-2009, 03:20 PM
It's the new book by Dan Simmons--I'm going to read more of his stuff because I love the way he writes.

Its written by a close friend of Charles Dickens and chronicles the writers attempts to track down someone. It's mid 19th century time frame while written to be published 100 years after the writers death.

Heather19
03-26-2009, 03:28 PM
It's the new book by Dan Simmons--I'm going to read more of his stuff because I love the way he writes.

Pick up Summer of Night. It's my favorite of his so far. Kind of has an It like feel to it. And I would also highly recommend The Terror.

Daghain
03-27-2009, 05:53 AM
I'm about 1/4 of the way through The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson (the first of the Repairman Jack novels) and I must say it's awesome so far. Kind of a Raymond Chandler meets Stephen King feel to it. :D

Thanks for recommending it, Matthew!

lophophoras
03-27-2009, 06:57 AM
I am finishing The Folks by Ray Garton and plan on picking up The Folks 2 as soon as I am done.

Ruthful
03-27-2009, 07:06 AM

Also still working on IT, only 200 deep but I just went on break so I think I'll finish it up now!

Have you ever watched the movie "Helvetica?" It's a great documentary about design-and that font specifically. Someone rolled his eyes at the concept when I mentioned it at a dinner-gathering a few weeks ago, but my friend-she's a draftsman-got it. I don't know how compelling that writer is, but it is a fascinating subject in general. At least, that's been my impression.

Daghain
03-27-2009, 08:49 AM
I have that in my Netflix queue (I used to work as a desktop publisher, that kind if thing gets my geek on). :lol:

Matt
03-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Y'know, that seems like SPAM my friend.

Pleas post again and explain or we'll have to ban you. It's very bad form to join a message board just to post links. We work hard here.

theyspunaweb
03-27-2009, 02:48 PM

Have you ever watched the movie "Helvetica?" It's a great documentary about design-and that font specifically. Someone rolled his eyes at the concept when I mentioned it at a dinner-gathering a few weeks ago, but my friend-she's a draftsman-got it. I don't know how compelling that writer is, but it is a fascinating subject in general. At least, that's been my impression.

Yes I have, I actually own a burnt illegal copy of it somewhere, and I should watch it again. We watched it in class twice a year or so ago, it was great!

jhanic
03-28-2009, 06:00 AM
I just finished Robin Cook's Critical and am currently about 3/4 of the way through his latest, Foreign Body. It takes books like these to remind me of just how bad some supposedly popular writers really are. Terrible writing. I'm glad I got them from the library. He tells an okay story, but the writing is atrocious.

John

Daghain
03-28-2009, 10:01 AM
I feel that way about David Eddings. Bad, bad writing.

Ruthful
03-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Yes I have, I actually own a burnt illegal copy of it somewhere, and I should watch it again. We watched it in class twice a year or so ago, it was great!

My favorite part is when the Italian designer who created the old NYC subway maps explains how they went from being clear, linear works of art to the confusing morass we use today. I think that might have been in one of the bonus feature interviews.

Wuducynn
03-28-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm about 1/4 of the way through The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson (the first of the Repairman Jack novels) and I must say it's awesome so far. Kind of a Raymond Chandler meets Stephen King feel to it. :D

Thanks for recommending it, Matthew!

http://adam.pohorecki.pl/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/cartman-sweet.jpg

Letti
03-28-2009, 11:22 PM
I am reading Flowers for Algernon. It is really good. I can't put it down.
Has anyone read it?

alinda
03-28-2009, 11:27 PM
I do not suppose the back of my cereal box counts?:wtf:

No, Letti, I have never read that. I will tho if you say it is that good! :D