PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Daghain
01-18-2009, 05:35 PM
LOL!

DBF and I are trading series - he's on WaG right now, and in return I have to read the first 3 books of The Belgariad, by David Eddings. Anyone read this? I want to know what I'm in for. :lol:

fernandito
01-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Guess I'll finish Just After Sunset while I wait for my new book to arrive in the mail ....

:|

Jean
01-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Cell by SK.

I'm sorry.

Beat me to it, JB. :lol:

Don't listen to them. :P
I thought it was a good read, and I hope you enjoy it.

Bears, too, thought it was quite readable. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Guess I'll finish Just After Sunset while I wait for my new book to arrive in the mail ....

:|
It's now that bears are sorry...

Letti
01-19-2009, 12:48 AM
reading Everything's Eventual

Jean
01-19-2009, 01:08 AM
I am reading Ketchum's The Girl Next Door, and having big issues with it.

CaptainTrips
01-19-2009, 01:21 AM
I'm currently reading a new David Icke book I bought and I'm also reading the original version of The Stand, I've read the 1990 version many times and wanted to compare them. The copy of the original was autographed by King

ManOfWesternesse
01-19-2009, 01:31 AM
.....also reading the original version of The Stand, I've read the 1990 version many times and wanted to compare them. The copy of the original was autographed by King

Yes. I read the original a great many times both before and after the revised/uncut was published. Bot once I got a copy of the revised I've used that fro my re-reads ever since.
A King signed copy eh? Nice to have.

Brice
01-19-2009, 08:09 AM

Honestly, I would have expected you might have some.

Chap
01-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Don't listen to them. :P
I thought it was a good read, and I hope you enjoy it.

Same here, I though it was very good. Specially the first half.

Reading the final pages of Evil Inheritance now, considering trying Emperor - gates of Rome next.
or "The Girl who played with fire", but Stieg Larsson.

Heather19
01-19-2009, 10:07 AM
I agree. That book has one of the best beginnings. It just sucks you right in.

Ruthful
01-19-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm RIGHT AT THE END of 'The Last Watch' by Sergei Lukyanenko. They are easily my favourite non-King books of all time. The films didn't do the books justice to be honest.

I still liked the film adaptation of "Night Watch," even though I'm usually not into sci-fi.

I'm planning on reading the novels sometime this coming year.

The Lady of Shadows
01-19-2009, 02:07 PM

oh jean why are you reading that evil piece of filth. it's not even a book, it's an abomination. it's the only book i ever knowingly, willingly destroyed in my life.

put it down, walk away, and pick up something else. trust me.

Chap
01-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Just started Emperor - The Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden.
anyone read it? if so, what do you think?

William50
01-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Cell by SK.

Is this your first read thru, and how are you liking it?

Yeah it is. And i am enjoying it. Although alot of people I know didnt really care for it.

Heather19
01-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Cell by SK.

Is this your first read thru, and how are you liking it?

Yeah it is. And i am enjoying it. Although alot of people I know didnt really care for it.

Don't listen to them, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I don't know why it gets so much hate.
How far in are you?

jayson
01-19-2009, 03:46 PM
I thought it was awful myself, but I'm glad you are liking it William. Different people like different things. As long as you enjoy it, it's worth your time.

theyspunaweb
01-19-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm starting Insomnia today!

William50
01-19-2009, 05:23 PM

:huglove:

JQ The Gunslinger
01-19-2009, 05:23 PM
^
Great read!
Im starting the Sword of Truth series now, with book one Wizards First Rule

NeedfulKings
01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Just started Dark Hollow by John Connolly. Good stuff! :)

Jean
01-19-2009, 10:58 PM

oh jean why are you reading that evil piece of filth. it's not even a book, it's an abomination. it's the only book i ever knowingly, willingly destroyed in my life.

put it down, walk away, and pick up something else. trust me.
I've already finished it - I'll post in the Ketchum thread when I am less furious and can think more coherently.

ManOfWesternesse
01-20-2009, 02:32 AM
Insomnia is a REALLY great read. Hope you enjoy it.

^
Great read!
Im starting the Sword of Truth series now, with book one Wizards First Rule
I tried that series a while back. Read the first book and didn't think a lot of it, then struggled half way thru the 2nd & left it there. Having said that I know others here on the site who love it. It takes all kinds (even THAT kind! :lol:)

I finished Brisingr last night. Not too bad really , & well worth the read. I was disapointed a bit with the quality of some of the writing (childish) and the poor editing in places.

Started a re-read of Little Sisters of Eluria (thankee Letti fro the inspiration). Only a few pages in yet.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Something Wicked This Way Comes

John Blaze
01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
.....also reading the original version of The Stand, I've read the 1990 version many times and wanted to compare them. The copy of the original was autographed by King

Yes. I read the original a great many times both before and after the revised/uncut was published. Bot once I got a copy of the revised I've used that fro my re-reads ever since.
A King signed copy eh? Nice to have.

a king signed copy? and you're reading it? I hope you're wearing kidskin gloves and tweezers!

John Blaze
01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
i'm looking for something great to read. I'm done rereading all my grisham, all my crichton, all my king, all my tolstoy, my wouk, and i'm just not inspired. I mean, who out there can compare to these greats?

Maybe i'll do a Clive Cussler reread. He's not that great, but he's enjoyable.

Daghain
01-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Have you tried John Irving?

fernandito
01-22-2009, 11:41 AM
You should definitely look into Neil Gaiman JB, and more specifically American Gods.

jayson
01-22-2009, 12:10 PM
JB, you have an excellent sense of humor, have you tried Vonnegut? It might appeal to you.

Matt
01-22-2009, 12:28 PM
I am listening to "Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself" by Alan Alda.

Read by the author...it's pretty good.

William50
01-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Im starting my 1st re-read of DT 7! :rock:

T.A.M
01-22-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm reading Mr Galliano's Circus by Enid Blyton:scared: I started reading today and I only have a couple of pages left...

obscurejude
01-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Child of God- Cormac McCarthy

Jean
01-23-2009, 12:31 AM
Have finished Machen collection, absolutely delightful! Now am at last, for the first time in my life, reading Lovecraft.

Daghain
01-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Ooh, that's on my short list, too!

bluelph24
01-24-2009, 03:23 PM
the big fat kill - frank miller

Darkthoughts
01-24-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm almost finished reading Hemingway's A Moveable Feast. I absolutely love it, it's almost as good as physically being in Paris. This is the first Hemingway book I've read - my Dad has been trying to get me to read his books for ages as he's a huge fan.

The Lady of Shadows
01-24-2009, 06:26 PM
i was finally able to finish a book - for the first time since november! :excited:

just finished the horse whisperer - nicholas evans

just started the winds of war - herman wouk

Daghain
01-24-2009, 10:51 PM
:clap:

Good for you!

I've been reading really slowly myself - I have now finished the first two stories in Four Past Midnight and I'm hoping to get a burst of ambition and finish it this week. I have a really cool-looking book on deck that I want to get to. :D

bluelph24
01-25-2009, 07:09 AM
That Yellow Bastard - Frank Miller

bluelph24
01-25-2009, 09:42 AM
finished yellow bastard

onto: The High Window - Raymond Chandler

Chap
01-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Started reading The Girl Who Played With Fire (Stieg Larsson), but figured it's time to read The Talisman instead :)

John Blaze
01-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Have you tried John Irving?
Yes, but honestly, he's only so so

You should definitely look into Neil Gaiman JB, and more specifically American Gods.

Read it, he's good, i liked American Gods the best of his, also liked Anansi Boys, as for the rest, not much into comics or graphic novels

JB, you have an excellent sense of humor, have you tried Vonnegut? It might appeal to you.
I might try that, any book in particular you recommend?

I'm almost finished reading Hemingway's A Moveable Feast. I absolutely love it, it's almost as good as physically being in Paris. This is the first Hemingway book I've read - my Dad has been trying to get me to read his books for ages as he's a huge fan.
I read this book because of City of Angels, and i wasn't very impressed. IDK, it just wasn't my cup of tea, so to speak.

jayson
01-25-2009, 12:46 PM
I might try that, any book in particular you recommend?

I love them all, but here are a few that you might enjoy to start with and see what his style is like...

- Sirens of Titan (which I think is his best)
- Breakfast of Champions
- Hocus Pocus

If you do get around to reading any, let me know what you think. He's quite sarcastic and satirical but also an excellent storyteller. I think it makes for an interesting combination. :)

3 DOORS DOWN
01-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Just started The Golden Fool , Book Two Of The Tawny Man Trilogy by
Robin Hobb.

pookie
01-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Midway through Great Expectations by Dickens.

Daghain
01-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Oooh, Dickens - nice choice!

Merlin1958
01-25-2009, 03:59 PM
WOTC for the third time

ManOfWesternesse
01-26-2009, 05:59 AM
Tolkien - Unfinished Tales.

jayson
01-26-2009, 06:02 AM
Nice Brian. I never tire of the Aldarion and Erendis story or anything regarding the fall of Gondolin. :)

ManOfWesternesse
01-26-2009, 06:08 AM
Nice Brian. I never tire of the Aldarion and Erendis story or anything regarding the fall of Gondolin. :)

Yeah, it's been years (quite a lot of 'em) since I last read this.
I started with the Third Age tales. Love the additional detail on the coming of the Rohirrim to Rohan etc.. etc..
Now reading the Second Age stuff. Numenor map & details. About to start the mariner's wife.
Then the First Age stuff for last.

THEN I must go get a copy of the Sil (I have not a clue where my old copy went, but again it's been many years since the last re-read).

jayson
01-26-2009, 06:17 AM
Absolutely, the story of the Rohirrim's coming and their alliance with Gondor is great stuff. I wish there were more stories about Numenor, but the lack of detailed stories about it only adds to the appreciation of the whole "lost society" thing.

I'm planning on doing a Silmarillion re-read myself fairly soon, which then usually puts me in mind to read Unfinished Tales and the Books of Lost Tales.

Darkthoughts
01-26-2009, 06:40 AM
3 DOORS - I tried reading the Tawny Man series last year because my sister loved it, but I couldn't get into it. Did it pick up after a while?

Brice
01-26-2009, 06:58 AM
Have finished Machen collection, absolutely delightful! Now am at last, for the first time in my life, reading Lovecraft.

Brilliant! :clap: Read every word he wrote.

jhanic
01-26-2009, 08:55 AM
There was a mention of Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm series in the Wall Street Journal a couple weeks ago, which piqued my interest, so I've started rereading the entire series. I first read these while I was serving with the Army in Vietnam and have all of them. These are a real good read and, surprisingly, don't seem THAT dated. (The first one was published in the early 1960s, and many of them have as the "bad guys" Soviet spies.) If you like good, adventure-filled spy stories, these are the ones!

John

fernandito
01-26-2009, 06:36 PM
I just ordered Sirens of Titan and A Storm of Swords off Amazon :D

jayson
01-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Whoo hoo. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Vonnegut Feev.

3 DOORS DOWN
01-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi Darkthoughts,I first read the Farseer trilogy then the Liveship traders trilogy before the tawny man trilogy.You dont say if you read the first two trilogys ,all the books contain some old characters which i think makes the later books better to read.I'm enjoying the tawny man but if i had to pick the best trilogy i would go for the Farseer.

theyspunaweb
01-27-2009, 03:28 PM
gosh I'm only about 200 pages into insomnia...I wish I had more time for reading! It's the hardcover so it's pretty huge (I don't know how it compares to the paperbacks)

theyspunaweb
01-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Absolutely, the story of the Rohirrim's coming and their alliance with Gondor is great stuff. I wish there were more stories about Numenor, but the lack of detailed stories about it only adds to the appreciation of the whole "lost society" thing.

I'm planning on doing a Silmarillion re-read myself fairly soon, which then usually puts me in mind to read Unfinished Tales and the Books of Lost Tales.

Re-read of the Silmarillion huh? I tried to read that after LOTR since I loved the series so much, but it just (obviously) wasn't the same and I couldn't get into it. You liked it enough to re-read?

jayson
01-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Re-read of the Silmarillion huh? I tried to read that after LOTR since I loved the series so much, but it just (obviously) wasn't the same and I couldn't get into it. You liked it enough to re-read?

I've re-read it at least once a year since I was 12. I'm a bit of a Tolkien geek. Ok, more than a bit. :)

Candice Dionysus
01-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey, and Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder.

Kes
01-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Picked up "I Am Legend" by Mathesson and was completely taken by surprise, having seen the movie and knowing nothing about the book.

I'm plowing through it, will finish it tonight.

Also re-reading Insomnia.

Emily
01-27-2009, 08:09 PM
I just started Redwall by Brian Jacques and Sirens of Titan. I'm not good at simultaneous reading though and I'm having trouble deciding which to finish first :orely:

jayson
01-27-2009, 08:22 PM
If I get a vote, it'd be Sirens but I'm a Vonnegut freak.

I am currently (re)reading Babylon's Burning by Clinton Heylin. It's the perfect follow-up book to his From the Velvets to the Voidoids and both should be required reading for fans of punk music and it's precursors. They're history books of the highest caliber rather than the same old "rock journalism" that leads people to not understand the music they listen to. :steps off soapbox:

Emily
01-27-2009, 08:36 PM
:panic: I can't wait for you to read Time Traveller's Wife. That's all I'm sayin' :ninja:

jayson
01-27-2009, 08:39 PM
I should have it by this weekend. You shall be the first to know when it's finished. It's the least I can do for my Ambassador to NYC. :)

obscurejude
01-27-2009, 08:40 PM
I just finished Child of God by Cormac McCarthy.

Sick and disturbing, but very fascinating in a graduate seminar.

jayson
01-27-2009, 08:46 PM
How was McCarthy's writing style in that one Ryan? All I've read of him is No Country... and while I thought the story was great, I found his style so distracting that I've avoided reading more of him. Your opinion might change that.

obscurejude
01-27-2009, 08:50 PM
How was McCarthy's writing style in that one Ryan? All I've read of him is No Country... and while I thought the story was great, I found his style so distracting that I've avoided reading more of him. Your opinion might change that.

The Approach is still minimalist with no quotation marks which I know you've expressed issues with. The thing about reading him in a seminar is that you get into all the reasons why McCarthy does what he does and you begin to really enjoy it as your appreciation for his craft grows. He is a very deliberate writer and has good reasons for doing the things that make him an eccentric writer, both in craft as well as content.

jayson
01-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Sounds like I should go with my idea of reading further McCarthy via audio so as not to face the distractions of his stylistic choices.

obscurejude
01-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Sounds like I should go with my idea of reading further McCarthy via audio so as not to face the distractions of his stylistic choices.

See, that's the thing. Maybe you should learn to appreciate the "distractions" becasue I assure you there's a rhyme and reason. McCarthy via audio would significantly take away from his original intentions. Even small things, like how he never numbers chapters is very significant.

I'll be writing four research papers on him as well as 3 page responses on 8 of his books. I can e mail you my thoughts if you're interested. I won't be insulted if you're not. :lol:

jayson
01-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Of course I'd be interested. Currently I find that whatever his intention is, his stylistic choices break the rhythm of my reading and for me, rhythm is everything. :)

Brice
01-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Besides Jayson, when you play the audio all you're gonna' hear is the reader saying He said over and over and here the author chose to ignore the fact that he's supposed to put an exclamation point, this is where a new chapter would begin if anyone else wrote this book...etcetera...ad infinitum. :lol:

jayson
01-27-2009, 09:13 PM
:lol:

obscurejude
01-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Of course I'd be interested. Currently I find that whatever his intention is, his stylistic choices break the rhythm of my reading and for me, rhythm is everything. :)

But at the expensive of substantive idealogical content? I would think that your insanely over analytical mind would crave such things, even if the rhythm is a little choppy.

relatedly, when McCarthy has a sentence that is, say, perfect iambic pentameter, it stands out for a reason. I'm surprised, honestly, that its such a big deal for you specifically.

obscurejude
01-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Besides Jayson, when you play the audio all you're gonna' hear is the reader saying He said over and over and here the author chose to ignore the fact that he's supposed to put an exclamation point, this is where a new chapter would begin if anyone else wrote this book...etcetera...ad infinitum. :lol:

:nope::nope::nope:

jayson
01-27-2009, 09:17 PM
It would be less of a big deal for me if he wrote non-fiction. When I read fiction, I typically do so at a rapid pace as I get more and more immersed in the story. The more that pace is broken the more I lose the suspension of reality that makes fiction work for me. I do find that I have a harder and harder time reading new fiction as time goes on (not just McCarthy) but I really did enjoy his story and wanted to lose myself in it instead of being constantly reminded I was reading a story. With non-fiction I don't have those issues.

Brice
01-27-2009, 09:19 PM
That's it! I'll buy a copy of his books, punctuate them myself, and then mail them to you Jayson.

Truthfully, I've never read him but I already know this would bother me a great deal too.

obscurejude
01-27-2009, 09:20 PM
It would be less of a big deal for me if he wrote non-fiction. When I read fiction, I typically do so at a rapid pace as I get more and more immersed in the story. The more that pace is broken the more I lose the suspension of reality that makes fiction work for me. I do find that I have a harder and harder time reading new fiction as time goes on (not just McCarthy) but I really did enjoy his story and wanted to lose myself in it instead of being constantly reminded I was reading a story. With non-fiction I don't have those issues.

Never ever think for a second that McCarthy doesn't want to fuck you up, because I assure you he does. Maybe he's not a good fit for you?

I don't think I'd be reading apart from school, but I'm learning some good stuff that has a lot of broad implications whith fiction writing in general. My main reason was the professor that's teaching the seminar. I had no exposure to him whatsoever prior to this semester.

obscurejude
01-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Truthfully, I've never read him but I already know this would bother me a great deal too.

You don't know that, tool. :P

:lol: Honestly, when I read Jayson's comments before the semester started I was really worried that I was going to hate him. I'm very relieved that hasn't been the case- at all.

Read it you lazy bastard.

jayson
01-27-2009, 09:24 PM
That's it! I'll buy a copy of his books, punctuate them myself, and then mail them to you Jayson.

Coming this spring to a bookstore near you...

Brice Beede Presents: The Punctuated McCarthy

Never ever think for a second that McCarthy doesn't want to fuck you up, because I assure you he does. Maybe he's not a good fit for you?

Maybe not, but he seems to tell a good story. I don't like to think I'm missing a good story, especially as I read less and less fiction every year as it is. Then again, I do so love my non-fiction.

Brice
01-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Actually, I think I do know it. And it's not laziness at all...although I very much am. I love Joyce which played insanely with language, also Burgess has done much the same. In House of Leaves by Danielewski he plays with structure alot. Others have too. This doesn't even bother me because in these instances it adds to the story and is all for valid reasons. However I can't concieve of a single valid reason to do the same with puctuation aside from pretension or just to fuck with people. What valid and meaningful reason does he have for doing what he does?

Brice
01-27-2009, 09:32 PM

Actually it's titled Brice Beede Presents the authoritative Jayson Kaplan version of The Punctuated McCarthy. :thumbsup:

fernandito
01-27-2009, 09:35 PM
I love Joyce which played insanely with language, also Burgess has done much the same...

Dude, Burgess is in a motherf'n league of his own! :lol:

Brice
01-27-2009, 09:40 PM
I love Joyce which played insanely with language, also Burgess has done much the same...

Dude, Burgess is in a motherf'n league of his own! :lol:

I agree Burgess is amazing, but read Finnegan's Wake and you'll see where he learned much of his craft. People devote their whole lives to studying that book. Burgess wrote at least a few books on Joyce's use of language.

obscurejude
01-27-2009, 09:41 PM
What valid and meaningful reason does he have for doing what he does?

I could give you fifteen off the top of my head, but alas I'm working on two unrelated papers right now. :P

In all seriousness, there remains good reasons and if you maintained your opinions after reading him then you might have a point.

obscurejude
01-27-2009, 09:42 PM

Actually it's titled Brice Beede Presents the authoritative Jayson Kaplan version of The Punctuated McCarthy. :thumbsup:

With a foreward by the esteemed Ryan T. Bradley concerning the teleological implications of stylistic fallacies and the victims they create. :D

jayson
01-27-2009, 09:44 PM

Well I like that better for obvious reasons. :)

... but read Finnegan's Wake and you'll see where he learned much of his craft. People devote their whole lives to studying that book. Burgess wrote at least a few books on Joyce's use of language.

Joseph Campbell's first publication was A Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake.

Brice
01-27-2009, 09:45 PM

I could give you fifteen off the top of my head, but alas I'm working on two unrelated papers right now. :P

In all seriousness, there remains good reasons and if you maintained your opinions after reading him then you might have a point.

If you could have given fifteen reasons "off the top of your head" you could have given at least one or two of the best in the time it took you to type that. :P

If my points are valid if I read it they should remain valid regardless. :lol:

obscurejude
01-27-2009, 09:51 PM

If you could have given fifteen reasons "off the top of your head" you could have given at least one or two of the best in the time it took you to type that. :P

Actually I couldn't. They remain complicated reasons, and my point was that my brain is already in two other places right now. Besides I already told Jayson it was 1) deliberate and 2) part of the school of minimalism.

not the best reasons, but concise and fulfilling your number requisite.

Brice
01-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Oh, I understand. I was really just messing with you a bit. :P I will say that it being deliberate doesn't explain how he kept every publisher on the planet from balking at the idea though. Minimalism in itself generally isn't appealing to me (in any art form). I however will eventually have to read something by the guy so I can feel better about trashing his ideas. :lol:

Jean
01-28-2009, 01:55 AM
Minimalism in itself generally isn't appealing to me (in any art form).
Neither is it to bears, with the only exception of haiku.

And, Brice! Bears are going to read A Clockwork Orange, they have already downloaded it! My wife has a laptop now, so I can read electronic books; ACO is on the list right after I'm through with Barker and Lovecraft; I keep reading a few paper books parallel to those, too, so it's not very soon, but sooner than it would have been without laptop.

Jon
01-28-2009, 04:27 AM
Social Welfare: Politics and Public Policy

Also: Multicultural Counseling and Psychotherapy

The latter contains the following phrase;

"White persons perceive themselves as White [duh] and thus superior to people of color."

Grrrr.... How insulting and generalized! Is there any question as to why I am in the Chancellor's office at least once a semester bitching about the texts???!!!??

This is racist shit!!!

Jean
01-28-2009, 04:59 AM
"White persons perceive themselves as White [duh] and thus superior to people of color."
<...>
This is racist shit!!!
It is.

Ruthful
01-28-2009, 05:22 AM
Stealth Jihad, by Robert Spencer

Daghain
01-28-2009, 09:29 AM

Actually I couldn't. They remain complicated reasons, and my point was that my brain is already in two other places right now. Besides I already told Jayson it was 1) deliberate and 2) part of the school of minimalism.

I have read McCarthy (well, half a book before my head exploded and I gave up) and I can honestly say you should probably be really glad I'm not in that class with you, because I'd probably be stirring up shit on a daily basis. :lol:

I don't care how smart, cool, or complicated he thinks he is, IMHO he's just not worth the effort it would take to decipher his stuff.

And I can't imagine how hard it must be to record an audio book of his work. :panic:

William50
01-28-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm thinking about starting Blaze.... :orely:

obscurejude
01-28-2009, 10:18 AM

I have read McCarthy (well, half a book before my head exploded and I gave up) and I can honestly say you should probably be really glad I'm not in that class with you, because I'd probably be stirring up shit on a daily basis. :lol:

I don't care how smart, cool, or complicated he thinks he is, IMHO he's just not worth the effort it would take to decipher his stuff.

And I can't imagine how hard it must be to record an audio book of his work. :panic:

I know your honest opinion, you've stated it many times. :P

You've never had Nick Halpern as a professor either.

obscurejude
01-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Disclaimer:

I have only had a total of 1 week of Cormac McCarthy. I am not his apologist. I don't care if anyone on the planet reads a single word he penned.

jayson
01-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Ryan = President of Cormac McCarthy fan club

He has a shirt, a hat, a laminated ID card and a certificate suitable for framing. Certificate has no punctuation.

:P

MonteGss
01-28-2009, 10:39 AM
I am finishing up Pudd'nhead Wilson by Twain. Later today I will most likely start Wizard and Glass. However, Gunpowder by Joe Hill might be a nice little book to read before I start DT4 again.

For audio, I'm currently on Black House. :)

*edit*
jude, I liked The Road. I love your disclaimer.

Daghain
01-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Disclaimer:

I have only had a total of 1 week of Cormac McCarthy. I am not his apologist. I don't care if anyone on the planet reads a single word he penned.

Thanks. Now I have to clean Diet Coke off my monitor. :lol:

Ka-mai
01-28-2009, 10:54 AM
I just read Middlesex a few days ago... anyone else read it? I loved it. I actually forgot I wasn't reading about a real person for a while. :lol:

Heather19
01-28-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm thinking about starting Blaze.... :orely:

Go for it, it's a great book. And it's got that old school King feel to it.

obscurejude
01-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Ryan = President of Cormac McCarthy fan club

He has a shirt, a hat, a laminated ID card and a certificate suitable for framing. Certificate has no punctuation.

:P

I was really just trying to help a friend out (you), but somehow I felt like Luther at the Diet of Worms attempting to save his life because he wanted to debate 95 theses with his school mates at Wittenberg.

Disclaimer:

Thanks. Now I have to clean Diet Coke off my monitor. :lol:

Anything for you Dags. :)

jayson
01-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes but I don't recall Luther and his accusers discussing the punctuation of the theses. :P

Luther: "You can see that by not putting quotation marks in the Bible, God has made it explicit that the Emperor is not without sin."

Daghain
01-28-2009, 02:57 PM
:wtf:

obscurejude
01-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Yes but I don't recall Luther and his accusers discussing the punctuation of the theses. :P

Luther: "You can see that by not putting quotation marks in the Bible, God has made it explicit that the Emperor is not without sin."

What is this, a GRE analogy test? :lol:

My point was that he just wanted to have a conversation among colleagues that placed him in an awkward apologetic situation, i.e. he never meant to be become a protestant and much less THE protestant.

Your obsessive compulsive disorder would be the printing press if you'd care to take the analogy further. :P

jayson
01-28-2009, 03:01 PM
What is this, a GRE analogy test? :lol:

Nope, just my inability to resist making a joke out of just about anything. I can take the clown out of my av/sig combo but not... you see where I'm going with this. :)

My point was that he just wanted to have a conversation among colleagues that placed him in an awkward apologetic situation, i.e. he never meant to be become a protestant and much less THE protestant.

I suppose he'd have gotten in more trouble saying he was "just playing Devil's advocate?" :dance:

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

Kes
01-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Everything. And I mean EVERYTHING is in Finnegan's Wake. That being said, I can only read it in bits and pieces.

McCarthy on the other hand, I've come to love. Blood Meridian. Still gives me chills.

fernandito
01-28-2009, 03:34 PM
I want to read Blood Meridian before the movie is released.

Ka-mai
01-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Just read Of Mice and Men. I know people will hate me for this, but... I don't really like Steinbeck. It's like slogging through constant metaphor. I just can't relax and enjoy myself with him.

Kes
01-28-2009, 04:07 PM

You have time. It still hasn't been made. But Ridley Scott is signed on to direct.

jayson
01-28-2009, 04:11 PM

You have time. It still hasn't been made. But Ridley Scott is signed on to direct.

Well if Ridley Scott is going to direct, then definitely read it first because that friggin' hack will destroy it in adaptation.

Kes
01-28-2009, 04:40 PM

Well if Ridley Scott is going to direct, then definitely read it first because that friggin' hack will destroy it in adaptation.

I go back and forth on Ridley. "King of Heaven" hurt me personally. I've been a long time coming back from it. Can't be any worse than what Billy Bob Thornton did to "All the Pretty Horses".

jayson
01-28-2009, 05:27 PM
One of the few thing saving Ridley Scott from being my least favorite director is the existence of his brother Tony. What he did to Tarantino's intended ending for True Romance is unforgivable.

Brice
01-29-2009, 04:49 AM
Minimalism in itself generally isn't appealing to me (in any art form).
Neither is it to bears, with the only exception of haiku.

And, Brice! Bears are going to read A Clockwork Orange, they have already downloaded it! My wife has a laptop now, so I can read electronic books; ACO is on the list right after I'm through with Barker and Lovecraft; I keep reading a few paper books parallel to those, too, so it's not very soon, but sooner than it would have been without laptop.

:clap: Awesome! I am loving your reading list this year, Jean...Barker, Lovecraft, Machen, and sometime soon Burgess. :thumbsup:

Disclaimer:

So...should I read McCarthy, Ryan? :unsure:

Everything. And I mean EVERYTHING is in Finnegan's Wake. That being said, I can only read it in bits and pieces.

Well, maybe not EVERYTHING, but alot. It's a sort of maddening poetic genius. I think the best thing anyone can do with Joyce is start at Dubliners and read all his works in order. It makes it a bit more readable.

mae
01-29-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm a total newcomer to this thread but this year for some reason I decided to keep a journal of the books I read. On January 1 I began to read The Count of Monte Cristo, the new translation. Great stuff!

Jean
01-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Oh I wish you would read it in French some day! Bears love Dumas père.

mae
01-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Well I did study French in high school. I recall very little of it. However, the translation is said to be very close to the original, reinstating the many omissions and distortions that have been made in earlier English versions.

Daghain
01-29-2009, 10:18 AM

Are they going to use punctuation in the script, or are the actors just going to speak in run-on sentences?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

fernandito
01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
The latter - and at the end of the movie, after the credits, there will be a piece of text saying ....

DEDICATED TO YOU DAGS!!

:D

obscurejude
01-29-2009, 12:46 PM

Are they going to use punctuation in the script, or are the actors just going to speak in run-on sentences?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

:rolleyes:

He uses punctuation and is from the school of minimalism, meaning the sentences are actually quite short and expressive in their simplicity. True, no quotation marks, but there remains other forms of punctuation, like periods. :P

Daghain
01-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Oh, now it would be even funnier if the actors walked around using "air quotes". :lol:

fernandito
01-29-2009, 12:50 PM
I think Dags, Jayson, and Brice have been drinking too much -

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/ksp113/FOX%20Sports%20Blog%20Images/Haterade.gif

Daghain
01-29-2009, 12:51 PM
OMG! :lol:

fernandito
01-29-2009, 12:52 PM

jayson
01-29-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm a total newcomer to this thread but this year for some reason I decided to keep a journal of the books I read. On January 1 I began to read The Count of Monte Cristo, the new translation. Great stuff!

Pablo, there's also this thread where you can keep a running list of your reading for the year:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=6593&highlight=2009+Book+List

obscurejude
01-29-2009, 01:33 PM
I think Dags, Jayson, and Brice have been drinking too much -

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/ksp113/FOX%20Sports%20Blog%20Images/Haterade.gif

Quoted for truth! :lol:

fernandito
01-29-2009, 03:11 PM
AND FTMFW!

obscurejude
01-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Just turned in my first paper on McCarthy, "Lester Ballard: Kafka's Ape Man, and Nietzsche's Suspended Bridge."

Must say that I'm enjoying him more and more. I'm actually stoked that we still have six novels to read. :)

Currently Reading: Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy

fernandito
01-29-2009, 07:09 PM
My books got here! :dance:

college_ewok
01-29-2009, 07:13 PM
The Tales of Beedle the Bard. It is a short story from Harry Potter but it sucks compared to the books.

William50
01-29-2009, 09:14 PM
I've never really gotten into the Harry Potter series. Oh well. :lol:

Daghain
01-30-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm still waiting for book 7 to come out in paperback. :panic:

Brice
01-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Don't wait!

Daghain
01-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Well, I've waited this long, it won't hurt to wait until July. :lol:

Besides, I have a bazillion other books I want to read too.

Brice
01-30-2009, 09:19 AM
The book industry has decided not to release a paperback of ANY more books until YOU buy a hardcover. :P

Daghain
01-30-2009, 09:34 AM
That will be a long freaking wait. Only about 10% of my books are in hardcover. :lol:

fernandito
01-30-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm only about 20 pages into Sirens of Titan, but I can already tell I'm going to love it. :)

mae
01-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Why the hardcover hate? I can't read paperbacks, unless I absolutely have to. As for Harry Potter, I enjoyed the series up to book four, where I've stopped. For some reason I haven't picked it back up yet, though I do have all the books.

Daghain
01-30-2009, 11:26 AM
I don't hate hardcovers, they just take up too much room and I prefer the portability of paperbacks. :D

Plus, I'm one of those OCD people who needs all her books to match. If I start buying a series in paperback (or an author, for that matter) they ALL have to be paperback.

My shelves must be neat. :lol:

obscurejude
01-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Lay off the haterade today Dags. :lol:

Unfound One
01-30-2009, 11:57 AM
I don't hate hardcovers, they just take up too much room and I prefer the portability of paperbacks. :D

Plus, I'm one of those OCD people who needs all her books to match. If I start buying a series in paperback (or an author, for that matter) they ALL have to be paperback.

My shelves must be neat. :lol:

This bugs me as well...
My first 4 HP books are paperback and the last 3 are hardcover.
My shelves look so uneven but I couldn't wait!
Apparently it doesn't bother me badly enough. :lol:

Daghain
01-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Lay off the haterade today Dags. :lol:

Apparently you MISSED the part about me NOT hating hardcovers. :lol:

jayson
01-30-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm only about 20 pages into Sirens of Titan, but I can already tell I'm going to love it. :)

Glad to hear it Feev. It paves the way for a lot more enjoyment of Vonnegut in your future. :)

As for the hardcover vs. paperback debate... I prefer hardcover but when I buy books it's typically paperback due to pecuniary concerns. Of course much of my reading is done via the library and they get hardcovers.

idk, my bff jill?
01-30-2009, 04:22 PM
My preference goes:

Mass-Market Paperback > Trade Paperback > Hardcover

There are some trade paperbacks that I like more than the mass-markets, but I usually prefer little books I can take anywhere in my bag.
Hardcovers are just too bulky, heavy, and uncomfortable for me.
Not to mention expensive.

I buy hardcovers only if they're in the bargain section of the bookstore.

Ruthful
01-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Hugo Chavez and the War Against America: The Threat Closer To Home, by Douglas E. Schoen and Michael Rowen

Martial's Epigrams: A Selection, translated by Gary Wills

There Is No Alternative: Why Margaret Thatcher Matters, by Claire Berlinski

William50
01-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Why the hardcover hate? I can't read paperbacks, unless I absolutely have to. As for Harry Potter, I enjoyed the series up to book four, where I've stopped. For some reason I haven't picked it back up yet, though I do have all the books.

I loveee hardcovers. For some reason paperbacks just bother me.My collection is almost entirely hardcovers.

The Lady of Shadows
01-30-2009, 08:50 PM
i'm with daggers, it's an ocd thing. if i start with one type of an author's books all the author's books have to be that type. that's why i get so :pullhair: when they change types midstream. all my simon r. green nightside books are paperback - they released the most recent one in hardcover. which of course, means i have to wait for it to be released in pb before i can buy it. same with my dresden files books. :pullhair:

don't they understand ocd?

William50
01-30-2009, 09:33 PM
:thumbsup: I just started the Dresden Files. Very cool!

Daghain
01-30-2009, 10:36 PM
i'm with daggers, it's an ocd thing. if i start with one type of an author's books all the author's books have to be that type. that's why i get so :pullhair: when they change types midstream. all my simon r. green nightside books are paperback - they released the most recent one in hardcover. which of course, means i have to wait for it to be released in pb before i can buy it. same with my dresden files books. :pullhair:

don't they understand ocd?

Oh, and don't you just HATE it when somewhere in the middle they switch from mass market paperback to trade? It makes me want to SCREAM!

I'm not OCD about too many things, but I am über OCD about my books. :lol:

And, back on topic, I just finished my reread of Four Past Midnight and am now going to reread Coraline by Neil Gaiman so I can have it fresh in my mind before I go see the movie. :D

Ruthful
01-31-2009, 12:21 AM

I loveee hardcovers. For some reason paperbacks just bother me.My collection is almost entirely hardcovers.

The problem is they make books with this crap binding these days, which means they come apart after only a few years.

I could understand charging twenty-seven or twenty-eight bucks for a hardbacked book if it was made with the same diligence and of the same quality of books from the past, but the way they markup these cheaply made books and then market them as "new" is outrageous.

Rjeso
01-31-2009, 12:32 AM
Agreed, Ruthful.

Anyway, I'll give you one guess as to what I'm reading right now...

Daghain
01-31-2009, 12:43 AM
Atlas Shrugged?

Ruthful
01-31-2009, 01:38 AM
How To Get Rid Of Migraine Headaches If You're A Naked Golden Statue?

The Lady of Shadows
01-31-2009, 01:13 PM
How To Get Rid Of Migraine Headaches If You're A Naked Golden Statue?

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/turtlesong/smilies/coffee_spray-1.gif

Ruthful
01-31-2009, 02:55 PM
AARRRGGGH, PHOTOBUCKET!:doh:

I'll see your pictures yet.
:ninja:

bluelph24
01-31-2009, 06:37 PM
The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammet

Ka-mai
02-01-2009, 07:51 PM
V for Vendetta! I'm so happy I finally get to read it! Best birthday present this year.

But I totally understand now why some people got pissed off about the movie... they are nothing alike. If I had read this first, I don't think I would have liked it... but I didn't, and I still love the movie. :P

jayson
02-01-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm glad you see why I have issues with the movie. It's not that I didn't like it, because I did, it's just that had the Wachowski's stuck to the novel, they could have made a much better movie. A true-to-the book adaptation could have been one of the better films made in a long time. Glad you liked the book though.

So let me ask you this since I know you really liked Evey in the film. How did you like her character in the book? I preferred "book Evey" to "film Evey". I thought she was much more developed as a character.

Ka-mai
02-01-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm going to spoiler this, just in case.
It's harder to relate to her because she's pretty young, but on her own. I like it better that she loved Gordon and not V, but obviously that wouldn't work in the movie. The prostitution worked better than the "I'm going to sleep with my boss for seemingly no reason whatsoever" angle. I'm really wondering why they did parts of the movie the way they did, the more I think about it.

jayson
02-01-2009, 09:38 PM
I've wondered the same thing myself. They altered more than they needed to.

Emily
02-01-2009, 09:55 PM
R of G, have you started The Time Traveller's Wife yet? I came to this thread pretty much to see if you had haha

William50
02-01-2009, 09:58 PM
On Writing - SK :panic:

jayson
02-01-2009, 10:02 PM
R of G, have you started The Time Traveller's Wife yet? I came to this thread pretty much to see if you had haha

I have it in my possession but have not started it yet. I should be done with Babylon's Burning in the next few days and it's up next for me. And feel free to call me Jayson. It's got to be easier than typing R of G. :)

Emily
02-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks, I was going to say "I noticed your name is Jayson, can I call you that?" but thought it might be creepy. And get a move on with that! What happened to starting this weekend? Tsk, tsk. :P

jayson
02-01-2009, 10:11 PM
That'd probably be the most polite 'creepiness' I've encountered (which is to say not at all creepy).

This turned out to be a much busier weekend than I anticipated but I will start the book ASAP lest I disappoint you further. ;)

Jean
02-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Among other things, am now rereading The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. It is wonderful, fantastic, even better than I remembered.

mhelgers
02-02-2009, 12:32 AM
I'm reading The Plant from S.K om pdf

college_ewok
02-02-2009, 07:28 AM
Among other things, am now rereading The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. It is wonderful, fantastic, even better than I remembered.

I also LOVE this book too! Right now I'm reading The Drawing of the Three, again.

Ka-mai
02-02-2009, 12:11 PM
I've wondered the same thing myself. They altered more than they needed to.

They really did. Some of it was for flow (getting rid of Almond, etc.) but a lot of it seems a little weird. I guess for emphasis on what life would be like in a shitty country.

Heather19
02-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Just finished listening to Stardust on audio. I absolutely loved this one. So far it's my favorite out of the ones I've read. But I know I've still got some catching up to do.

Just an interesting little thing, at the end of the story they did an interview with Neil, and at one point he was talking about how he loves audiobooks, and authors narrating their own stories, and how he especially likes listening to them on long car rides. Well one time he was traveling from Florida to I can't remember where at the moment, but he picked up a bunch of Stephen King unabridged audiobooks to listen to on his drive, one of them being Bag of Bones.

Daghain
02-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Just finished a reread of Coraline and am now reading Bodies of Subversion: A Secret History of Women and Tattoo by Margot Mifflin.

ClicheGuevara
02-02-2009, 10:11 PM
At the moment I'm reading Grapes of Wrath again, I have a soft spot for Steinbeck.

alinda
02-03-2009, 05:42 AM
I guess I may as well reread TGWLTG , as I recall it was not that appealing the first time I read it, so I will give it another chance and see if my opinion doesn't improve.:rose:

bluelph24
02-04-2009, 04:05 AM
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick

lophophoras
02-04-2009, 04:53 AM
The Lost Ones by Christopher Golden

....next I will be reading The Sandman: Book of Dreams by Neil Gaiman

AlishaRiley
02-04-2009, 06:16 AM
I'm currently reading Sons And Lovers by D.H Lawrence...I've read much better, and have therefore picked up Dreamcatcher for entertainment purposes. Two books simultaneously generally confuses the hell out of me, but I'm only truckin' along with Sons And Lovers due to a ridiculous stubborn streak.

ManOfWesternesse
02-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick

*Jon-proofs the thread*
That man's got enough to worry about! :lol:

Currently still reading Tolkien's Unfinished Tales. Just finished 'Narn i Hin Hurin' last night.

jayson
02-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Currently still reading Tolkien's Unfinished Tales. Just finished 'Narn i Hin Hurin' last night.

Poor Turin. Poor Nienor. Could that story be any sadder? Damn that Morgoth.

Ralford
02-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Working on The Winds of War by Herman Wouk. I wanted to broaden my horizons a bit. Also just bought Koko by Peter Straub. Never read anything other than Talisman and Black House of his.

William50
02-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Watership Down by Richard Adams. Much better than I had thought it would be. One of my favorite reads of 2009. (so far...)

ClicheGuevara
02-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Watership Down by Richard Adams. Much better than I had thought it would be. One of my favorite reads of 2009. (so far...)

Watership Down is one of those books that kinda takes you by suprise, at least it did for me. I never thought a book about rabbits would be interesting to me.

Try Shardik(Coincidence? I think not!) as well by Richard Adams

Heather19
02-05-2009, 03:12 PM
I've decided to pick up The Road on audio. I've been wanting to read this book for so long and it keeps getting pushed to the back of my list so I decided to just give it a listen. I'm not quite sure what I think of it. The narrator isn't the best so I don't know if that's adding to my indifference. And nothing much has happened, and since I'm almost done with it, I have a feeling nothing will.
One thing is really aggravating me though I'm finding the little boy to be so annoying. He's such a scaredy cat, that for some reason it's really irritating me. Exactly how old is he? For some reason I'm picturing him as being around 11, but I could be mistaken as I can't remember him actually saying it.

fernandito
02-05-2009, 03:56 PM
It's never stated, but the general consensus is that he's somewhere between 10-12 years old.

Heather19
02-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks Feev, and one other question
the world was already like it is when he was born correct?

fernandito
02-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Correct. You'll come across a passage (if you haven't already) where the mother and father of the child are grieving over the current state of things.

ManOfWesternesse
02-06-2009, 02:57 AM
Yes, thats a great read!

Yes, a very sad tale - indeed a lot of the old tales are bitter!

I've finished the Unfinished Tales (<-- that sounds..... arrogant! :lol:)

... now reading The Silmarillion. :)

Melike
02-06-2009, 05:07 AM
Yes, thats a great read!

Yes, a very sad tale - indeed a lot of the old tales are bitter!

... now reading The Silmarillion. :)

The Silmarillion is my favorite of Tolkien.:thumbsup:

Jean
02-06-2009, 05:14 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_hahaha.gif

jayson
02-06-2009, 05:15 AM

Me too. :)

I like all the other First and Second Age tales too (Unfinished Tales, Book of Lost Tales, et al) as much. All that stuff puts so much history into things that by the time things get to LotR there's so much depth. I've been varying stages of obsessed with it all since I was 12.
http://www.smileyhut.com/medieval/sword.gif (http://www.smileyhut.com)

Melike
02-06-2009, 05:32 AM

Me too. :)

I like all the other First and Second Age tales too (Unfinished Tales, Book of Lost Tales, et al) as much. All that stuff puts so much history into things that by the time things get to LotR there's so much depth. I've been varying stages of obsessed with it all since I was 12.
http://www.smileyhut.com/medieval/sword.gif (http://www.smileyhut.com)

I mostly like the didactic style of it. Contains so much info.

jayson
02-06-2009, 05:38 AM
Exactly. It's more like reading a history book than a novel and I mean that in a very complimentary way. I have to remind myself that it's not real. :)

Melike
02-06-2009, 05:43 AM
Exactly. It's more like reading a history book than a novel and I mean that in a very complimentary way. I have to remind myself that it's not real. :)

Same for me.
And yeah, that's why I like to be here. This is the place where I do not feel myself weird or different.:)

jayson
02-06-2009, 05:45 AM
Definitely. The geeks shall inherit the earth. When it comes to Tolkien, I'm proud to be a nerd.:thumbsup:

ManOfWesternesse
02-06-2009, 06:02 AM
Ah yes. Was reading of Nienna last night...

S]he dwells alone. She is acquainted with grief, and mourns for every wound that Arda has suffered in the marring of Melkor. So great was her sorrow, as the Music unfolded, that her song turned to lamentation long before its end, and the sound of mourning was woven into the themes of the World before it began. But she does not weep for herself; and those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope. Her halls are west of West, upon the borders of the world; and she comes seldom to the city of Valimar where all is glad. She goes rather to the halls of Mandos, which are near to her own; and all those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom. The windows of her house look outward from the walls of the world. (The Silmarillion, Chapter 2, "Valaquenta") - thanks to Wikipdia

....When it comes to Tolkien, I'm proud to be a nerd.:thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

Melike
02-06-2009, 06:06 AM

S]he dwells alone. She is acquainted with grief, and mourns for every wound that Arda has suffered in the marring of Melkor. So great was her sorrow, as the Music unfolded, that her song turned to lamentation long before its end, and the sound of mourning was woven into the themes of the World before it began. But she does not weep for herself; and those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope. Her halls are west of West, upon the borders of the world; and she comes seldom to the city of Valimar where all is glad. She goes rather to the halls of Mandos, which are near to her own; and all those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom. The windows of her house look outward from the walls of the world. (The Silmarillion, Chapter 2, "Valaquenta") - thanks to Wikipdia
Brian, this is my favorite part.:huglove: And Nienna is the most impressive character to me.

....When it comes to Tolkien, I'm proud to be a nerd.:thumbsup:
:thumbsup:
Third that.:thumbsup:

jayson
02-06-2009, 06:55 AM

As soon as I read her name I suspected that would be the passage. It's one of my favorites. I love Tolkien's use of music as a metaphor in much the whole creation story and what followed in the world.

William50
02-06-2009, 06:19 PM
The Silence of the Lambs - Thomas Harris

It is just... amazing.:)

mystima
02-06-2009, 06:30 PM
i just finished "Tales of the Beedle Bard" newly translated from the ancient runes by Hermione Granger.....lol....my Harry Potter fix:dance::rock::cool:

Jean
02-07-2009, 12:19 AM

Which reminds me... I started reading it some two or three years ago, but never went past the middle... maybe I should pick it up and give it another try.

Jon
02-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Sun Tzu's Art of War

Heather19
02-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Finished The Terror by Dan Simmons last night. I've only read a couple of his other stories, but I really enjoy his style of writing, so I'm going to pick up some more by him.

I will say that I absolutely loved this book, with the exception of the last 70 pages or so. At that point it seemed to turn into another type of book completely and I don't think it was necessary to include any of that. I think it would have made the book alot stronger overall if he had omitted that whole section. It just didn't seem to flow well with the rest of the book.

Has anyone here read this and if so what did you think.

Now I just have to decide what to read next. There's too many books on my too read list that I can't decide. I'm actually thinking of maybe picking up Hearts in Atlantis and reading one of those stories. Is it necessary to read the whole book at one time, or could I read one story, then something else, and then go back to it again?

fernandito
02-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Planning on having Sirens of Titan completed by today so that I can start A Storm of Swords. :D

obscurejude
02-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Now I just have to decide what to read next. There's too many books on my too read list that I can't decide. I'm actually thinking of maybe picking up Hearts in Atlantis and reading one of those stories. Is it necessary to read the whole book at one time, or could I read one story, then something else, and then go back to it again?

I think the stories work well enough on their own, but there are recurring characters that you'll have a little more appreciation for later on. No enough to make a lot of difference, but a little. Kind of like seeing tiny shout outs in later King novels to former ones. You don't have to read IT to enjoy Insomnia, but you appreciate when the 1985 flood is discussed, even in its brevity.

Hope this helps a little. :)

jhanic
02-07-2009, 10:53 AM
These discussions regarding the Tolkien books have made me want to dig out my copies and reread them. It's been a long, long time (I read them as they first came out but not since) and I think I've forgotten a lot of what happened.

John

William50
02-07-2009, 11:55 AM

Which reminds me... I started reading it some two or three years ago, but never went past the middle... maybe I should pick it up and give it another try.

Yes! You should! :)

bluelph24
02-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Coraline - Neil Gaiman

saw the movie (fantastic, btw), went and got some food at b dubs, and, noticing that there was a barnes and noble in the vicinity of the restaurant, i had to pick up the book.

ManOfWesternesse
02-08-2009, 02:56 PM
These discussions regarding the Tolkien books have made me want to dig out my copies and reread them. It's been a long, long time (I read them as they first came out but not since) and I think I've forgotten a lot of what happened.

John

Same as that. Reading the Unfinished Tales got me going again so now I'm reading The Sil.
Also my 11 yr old, Mark, finished a book today & was stuck for something to read so he pulled The Hobbit off the shelf for a re-read!

Heather19
02-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Hope this helps a little. :)

Thanks it did. I've decided to wait till I can devote the time to read it all at once. Hopefully by summertime I'll get to it.

So right now I've decided to start reading Misery since I haven't read this one before.

bluelph24
02-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Main Street - Sinclair Lewis

Daghain
02-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Just finished Bodies of Subversion: A Secret History of Women and Tattoo by Margot Mifflin and am now rereading Gerald's Game.

The_Nameless
02-08-2009, 11:01 PM
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.
Enjoyable, but not my favourite of his works.

candy
02-09-2009, 12:00 PM
just finished 'boy in the striped pyjamas' very sad. have no new books to read now so may go bxack to bag of bones as someone mentioned in earlier in the thread and i realised i have not read it for ages.

SON-OF-WAYNE
02-09-2009, 03:56 PM
I just finished "The Long Walk", and I am about to start "Lisey's Story." I dont really know what to expect, but I hear it is pretty good.

Jean
02-10-2009, 01:34 AM
hm
hmmmm

::shuts up::

obscurejude
02-10-2009, 02:09 AM
:duct tapes the bear's mouth: :evil:

stone, rose, unfound door
02-10-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm into philosophy and law right now so I've just started reading "Le contrat social" by Jean-Jacques Rousseau. Hopefully I'll soon be over and can start reading Hobbes again :)

jayson
02-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Finally finished the Heylin book and will be starting The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger tonight.

Emily
02-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Finally finished the Heylin book and will be starting The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger tonight.

ABOUT TIME :P

jayson
02-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Yeah yeah yeah. ;)

fernandito
02-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Started A Storm of Swords today, after I finish that I'll either pick up Order of the Phoenix, or another Kurt Vonnegut book. :)

idk, my bff jill?
02-10-2009, 03:48 PM
http://www.uclm.es/ceclm/librosnuevos/2004diciembre/cubiertas/quijote_dali_g.jpg

The Salvador Dalí illustrations are great.

theBeamisHome
02-10-2009, 05:11 PM
i'm currently listening to Uglies by Scott Westerfield. it hasn't caught on and been turned into a movie yet so i thought i'd jump on it.

John Blaze
02-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Working on The Winds of War by Herman Wouk. I wanted to broaden my horizons a bit. Also just bought Koko by Peter Straub. Never read anything other than Talisman and Black House of his.

Good for you! Make sure and pick up War And Remembrance when you're done, it finishes the story out.

Welcome to TDT.com, see you around.

John Blaze
02-11-2009, 12:29 AM
http://www.uclm.es/ceclm/librosnuevos/2004diciembre/cubiertas/quijote_dali_g.jpg

awesome! hope you enjoy it as much as i did. are you reading it in english?

I've read it in english and spanish, and although i liked both versions, the spanish was funnier.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-11-2009, 12:36 AM
The murders in the Rue Morgue
The idiots guide to buying and selling real estate

Which is to say I'm between books.
I go on days off tomorrow, and am starting TLoTR......finally

idk, my bff jill?
02-11-2009, 04:42 AM

awesome! hope you enjoy it as much as i did. are you reading it in english?

I've read it in english and spanish, and although i liked both versions, the spanish was funnier.

Are you kidding?
I love El Quijote! :excited:
I've read it twice already, but I have to reread it for Spanish Lit class, so I bought this new edition, and I'm even more pumped to be reading it again! :lol:
Haha. And you're right. It's funnier in Spanish, but I too like the English translations. :)

jayson
02-11-2009, 04:58 AM
I go on days off tomorrow, and am starting TLoTR......finally

Awesome. I'm always envious of people who get to read it for the first time. Hope you enjoy. :)

fernandito
02-11-2009, 07:16 AM
I had no idea that Slumdog Millionaire was based on a novel! :onfire:

I picked up the novel yesterday, and I'm planning on pounding through it with the quickness so that I can see the movie before the Oscars. :fairy:

idk, my bff jill?
02-11-2009, 07:17 AM
Make sure to let us know what you thought of it once you finish reading!
I've been meaning to buy the novel, too. :)

college_ewok
02-11-2009, 08:06 AM
I just picked up the last 2 books of The Chronicles of Narnia. So I need to start reading those. I am also reading Drawing of the Three again. I have to have something to read before I go to bed. Now I have three books to read.:thumbsup:

Melike
02-11-2009, 08:13 AM

I went crazy when I had seen this.:excited:Dali's most impressive works are the ones about this book and the Divine Comedy.

mae
02-11-2009, 10:06 AM

Is there an English edition with those illustations?

idk, my bff jill?
02-11-2009, 01:55 PM
I went crazy when I had seen this.:excited:Dali's most impressive works are the ones about this book and the Divine Comedy.

I haven't seen the ones on The Divine Comedy!
They must be marvelous!
Google to the rescue. :lol:

Is there an English edition with those illustations?

I looked, and I didn't find anything, sorry. :(
You can look at some pictures here (http://images.google.com.pr/images?um=1&hl=en&ei=Y0iTSZ-JGImiMqnWgesL&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&q=don+quixote+salvador+dal%C3%AD&spell=1), though. :)

Heather19
02-11-2009, 02:52 PM
So I changed my mind, and I've now started Water for Elephants. I'm actually really excited about reading this one. I've heard such good stuff about it.

Daghain
02-11-2009, 02:56 PM
:clap:

I think you'll really like it.

Matt of Gilead
02-12-2009, 07:11 AM
I'm a bit into the complete fiction of H.P. Lovecraft, also reading Sit Down and Shut Up, and I'm supposed to be reading The Pirate King, which I've borrowed form someone.

My "to read" list is a bit out of hand at the moment.

Jean
02-12-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm a bit into the complete fiction of H.P. Lovecraft <...>
The same is happening to bears.

They are absolutely fascinated.

Nedmonds
02-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Just finished reading Duma Key. Read 370 pages last night didnt mean too but its like a film playing in my head and i dont actually remember flicking through half the pages..

Really good book tho :D

Matt
02-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Glad you love it Nedmonds, I think it's great.

Welcome to the site.

I just finished JAS, thought it was mostly good.

Arthur Heath
02-12-2009, 12:10 PM
I just ran across a new (to me) author, Jim Butcher. He writes an excellent series call The Dresden Files. Think Harry Potter meets crime noir. The premise is a Chicago based wizard who is also a private eye gets called in when paranormal situations start arising. Great series. I snagged the 6th book in the series, which is a stand alone and makes great sense though I have yet to read the first 5. All sorts of good stuff in this such as vampires, fairies, wizards, incubus' set in a modern society.

obscurejude
02-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Glad you love it Nedmonds, I think it's great.

Welcome to the site.

I just finished JAS, thought it was mostly good.

What's JAS, Matt?

Daghain
02-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Just After Sunset. :D

obscurejude
02-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Just After Sunset. :D

I always have the hardest time figuring out what the hell you and Matt are referring too. :lol: Feev too. You guys drive me crazy sometimes. :)

Thanks for filling in the gaps. :cyclops:

Daghain
02-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Someday I will make you a Dags to English dictionary. :lol:

fernandito
02-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Slumdog Millionaire is effin awesome so far, I can't wait to see how the movie measures up to the book.

SigTauGimp
02-13-2009, 12:36 AM
Halfway through re-re-re-re-re-re...erm...however many more re-'s...reading The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy...halfway through Life, The Universe, and Everything. :wub:

NeedfulKings
02-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Reading now: Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow. I'm enjoying it a lot! :)