PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Matt
12-08-2008, 07:13 AM
I'm listening The Host by the woman that wrote those Vampire books that are so popular these days...Stephanie something.

It's adult fiction at least, pretty good so far. The reader is a woman I have heard before on another book so that's cool.

I keep seeing this one around and was curious if it was any good or not. Let me know what you think when you're finished.

I sure will, so far, I really recommend it.

I'm going to buy it for Dora I think.

sarah
12-08-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy right now.

I want to read this book as well, hopefully before the movie is released :D

How you liking it so far?

my hubby read it last year and loved it. He says it's one of those books that stay with you for awhile after reading.

It's on my mental list of "to read" but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Matt, I think Dora would really like The Host.

The Lady of Shadows
12-08-2008, 02:48 PM
what am i currently reading? not a goddamn thing. :cry: i can't seem to concentrate on anything for longer than five minutes.

Sam
12-08-2008, 04:20 PM
I am actually rereading From a Buick 8 right now. Patiently waiting on Christmas to see if I get anything to read for a gift.

fernandito
12-08-2008, 04:21 PM

my hubby read it last year and loved it. He says it's one of those books that stay with you for awhile after reading.

It's on my mental list of "to read" but I haven't gotten to it yet.

I'm plan on making it my first book of 2009, why don't we read it together? :couple:

Heather19
12-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Just finished Apt Pupil I can't believe I hadn't read that one before, great story, although I think it was also one of the most disturbing stories I've ever read.

Now I'm back to Just After Sunset.

Jean
12-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Reading Cell. Again. (old news)

Hope to make it through this time.

ManOfWesternesse
12-09-2008, 04:33 AM

I like it a lot because it's a really fast read and the author gets right into the action. His writing style is really unique as well. Short chapters with minimal punctuation. It's different. So far it seems like the story is going to be pretty interesting. I hear it's really depressing though. We shall see.

One of the best reads I've had in recent years!
Don't know about 'depressing' - I suppose it is, yes. Certainly one of the bleakest Books I've ever read.

Darkthoughts
12-09-2008, 04:39 AM
I haven't read it either, but I was discussing it with a friend of mine in the pub the other weekend - he compared it to something I had read...sounded bleak - but intruiging.

agrabin
12-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Well...a landmark occasion in my (very) long and extensive reading 'career'.

Having been a huge SK fan since way back to his beginnings practically, I seem to remember reading 'It' and, having greatly enjoyed the story, felt extremely let down by what I considered to be a very flat, dopy ending. :arg:
Prior to then I'd noticed that he'd published some 'fantasy' novels and, not being into 'fantasy', completely ignored them. I continued to read the books he published that I thought I'd enjoy but to be honest, I really did think at times he'd lost the plot. You probably think I've lost the plot but this being such a momentous time I know that fellow junkies will understand if I don't rush into this.
Anyway, as a collector of books in general I decided to start buying SK about 15 months ago and in the process of researching prices and so on, I came across this site. Now, you will have gathered I was no fan of the Dark Tower but then again, I'd never read any so how could I truly judge? So, having spent an inordinate amount of money buying signed SK, DT S/L and other related books I thought the least I could do would be to give the Tower a try.

I bought a full paperback set in the Summer with the intention of starting straight away. Events overtook me however and for various reasons I didn't get round to it.
Some critiques of 'The Gunslinger' seemed to suggest that the first book was hard work to read and even SK alluded to it in the foreword to the revised version saying readers might have to persevere with 'Gunslinger' and stay with it through to 'Drawing of The Three' which he virtually promises will be so much better.

I was almost afraid to begin reading in case I didn't like it because I am always brutally honest about a writer even if it is SK.

Last week I read 'The Gunslinger' --- LOVED IT.

The answer to the topic question therefore is -- I'm about half way through 'The Drawing of The Three'.

If you have read all the way through this please accept my apology for possibly wasting your time and, to the Mods, sorry for taking up so much space. :innocent:

Daghain
12-09-2008, 11:25 AM
That's what the space is there for, agrabin! :D

Glad you're liking the series so far. Just wait...it gets even better.

agrabin
12-09-2008, 11:43 AM
That's what the space is there for, agrabin! :D

Glad you're liking the series so far. Just wait...it gets even better.

Thanks Daghain.
Have you thrown out all your bacon and pork sausages?

Daghain
12-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Huh? :lol:

agrabin
12-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Huh? :lol:

Do you live in Ireland -- pork scare?? -- have I CLANGED??

Daghain
12-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Ah, I'm just flying the Irish flag - I'm really in the US. :lol:

But I would DIE without bacon and sausage! :panic:

ManOfWesternesse
12-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Yes I have! :sob: And the Black Pudding ! :bigger sobs:

Welcome to DT-World agrabin.
As daghain said - hang on to your hat, this one just gets better and better and better!

fernandito
12-09-2008, 10:39 PM
I got The Road! :excited:

I'm going to start it as soon as I finish JAS. :D

John_and_Yoko
12-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Finished The Green Mile (and surprised at not finding a thread on it).

Tomorrow I'll probably read "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption." Then probably "The Woman in the Room," then maybe "The Body" and after that, Misery. Then, if there's still time this year, I might read The Long Walk.

If you haven't guessed it, I'm trying to read the books made into movies by Frank Darabont and Rob Reiner. ;)

SigTauGimp
12-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Finished JaS...liked it quite a bit.

Probably going with either The Oz complete series from Frank Baum, or finish up the Dexter trilogy next.

obscurejude
12-10-2008, 08:31 PM
If you haven't guessed it, I'm trying to read the books made into movies by Frank Darabont and Rob Reiner. ;)

Where is that thread we set up with the betting pool for J and Y?

John_and_Yoko
12-10-2008, 08:36 PM

Where is that thread we set up with the betting pool for J and Y?

Is that a joke? (Seriously, I tend to take things literally and tone can't be determined online, so I don't know--I've never seen a thread like that.... :unsure:)

Anyway, I'm reading "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" now, and am over 1/3 of the way through it. I intend to finish tonight, but that's as far as I'm going to get.

The Lady of Shadows
12-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Finished JaS...liked it quite a bit.

Probably going with either The Oz complete series from Frank Baum, or finish up the Dexter trilogy next.

i vote dexter. come on, you know you want to read about a sociopathic serial killer who only kills other serial killers.
you know you want to. . . .

:evil:

obscurejude
12-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Sorry J and Y, it was a joke. No thread exist, to my knowledge.

John_and_Yoko
12-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Sorry J and Y, it was a joke. No thread exist, to my knowledge.

I didn't think so. :)

Anyway, I'd have chosen the Oz books (read them all, and loved them!).

SigTauGimp
12-10-2008, 08:46 PM
:panic: I'm still torn!

I read the first Dexter book, but I found(much to my surprise) that from what I can see so far, it's one of those very rare moments when I've liked the television series/movie/show/etc. more that the book. Maybe that will change if I continue, though.

As for the Oz books, I'm a sucker for that universe. :fairy: I just don't know if I'm feeling more "sociopath killer", or "children's fantasy".

obscurejude
12-10-2008, 08:50 PM
I go to school with Dexter's cousin in real life.

The consensus seems to be the show is better than the book. I had a similar experience with Fight Club.

agrabin
12-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Ah, I'm just flying the Irish flag - I'm really in the US. :lol:

But I would DIE without bacon and sausage! :panic:

...and me

agrabin
12-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Yes I have! :sob: And the Black Pudding ! :bigger sobs:

Welcome to DT-World agrabin.
As daghain said - hang on to your hat, this one just gets better and better and better!

Oh no!! Not the black pudding as well..my heart goes out to you...:cry:

Daghain
12-11-2008, 09:22 AM
That sucks. I love black pudding. :cry:

Arthur Heath
12-11-2008, 11:26 AM
I bought Shell Silverstein's The Giving Tree and read it to my boy last night. One of my all time favorite books. Though he's only three months its never to early to read to them. :D

jayson
12-11-2008, 11:52 AM
I bought Shell Silverstein's The Giving Tree and read it to my boy last night. One of my all time favorite books. Though he's only three months its never to early to read to them. :D

:clap:

We started building a library for Ella as soon as my wife got pregnant and all the Silverstein went in it right away. And you're right, it's never too early to read to them. We've been reading to her since she was a few weeks old. It doesn't matter if they get it or not. Somewhere it's getting through to them subconsciously that books are important. The rest will come later.

The Lady of Shadows
12-11-2008, 12:08 PM

and have you read winnie the pooh to him yet? :orely:
if not, i would like an explanation! :lol:

Jean
12-11-2008, 12:20 PM
yes, please

Rjeso
12-11-2008, 12:29 PM
The Queen of Swords by Judith Tarr.

judith Tarr = :wub:

fernandito
12-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Reading Ender's Game anytime soon?

:fairy:

Rjeso
12-11-2008, 12:35 PM
I'll pick it up the next time I go to the library. :D

Hannah
12-11-2008, 12:40 PM

:clap:

We started building a library for Ella as soon as my wife got pregnant and all the Silverstein went in it right away. And you're right, it's never too early to read to them. We've been reading to her since she was a few weeks old. It doesn't matter if they get it or not. Somewhere it's getting through to them subconsciously that books are important. The rest will come later.

I also added Shel Silverstein to Paris's collection when she was a baby. Now she reads me The Giving Tree and her favorite poems from Where the Sidewalk Ends, which I find one of the most rewarding things in my life.

Heather19
12-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Currently trying to read The Traveling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon. Anyone read this? It was recommend by a friend who said it had an It like feel to it, but so far I'm honestly not caring for it to much.

bluelph24
12-14-2008, 04:10 PM
still reading Thus spoke Zarathustra

finished Black Boy for school (we only read part 1) and have started up on Cry The Beloved Country'

still reading Invisable Man for school, and, each time i think about that book, i think about that bit from The Body where the narrator (can't for the life of me remember his name. Gordy, mayhap?) mentions reading this book while looking for the wells, not the ellison one, and liking the ellison one a lot.

Ruthful
12-14-2008, 04:16 PM
All About The Beat: Why Hip-Hop Can't Save Black America, by John McWhorter

The Reagan I knew, by William F. Buckley Jr.

The Deporter, by Ames Holbrook

Economics In One Lesson, by Henry Hazlitt

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-14-2008, 04:36 PM
A Narration of A. Gordon Pym by Edgar Allen Poe-at home
Strangers by Dean Koontz - at work

Jackie
12-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Insomnia

fernandito
12-15-2008, 06:09 AM
Just ordered Star Wars : Shadows of The Empire through Amazon.

This particular story takes place between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

sarah
12-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Feevie, have you text sarajean about that? she's all over that. I think she has the full collection.

fernandito
12-15-2008, 10:42 AM
She has all of it?!

She's so awesome :wub:

I'll text her in a little bit.

PlayPhish
12-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Currently reading Paul Theroux's new book: Ghost Train to the Eastern Star: On the Tracks of the Great Railway Bazaar, The Glass Bead Game by Herman Hesse, Stephen King's new short story collection, Earth: The Sequel by Frank Krupp and Veblen's Theory of the Leisure Class. Whew! I enjoy having many books going, kind of like changing channels on a tv, literarilly (Is that a word? If not, it is now :P )

mystima
12-15-2008, 07:47 PM
i am currently reading Just After Sunset...i usually blow through alot of books in a year but for some reason i can't get to reading it...maybe after i finish Fallout 3 i will get back into reading....lol...i do read a little at work though...been kinda slow. anyone need a haircut....lol:nana:

The Lady of Shadows
12-15-2008, 07:59 PM
still in my reading slump. of course, that isn't stopping me from getting books to add to the pile of "to be read". i'm 1/4 of the way through "gingerbread girl" in just after sunset and can't seem to get any farther. my bookmark hasn't moved in the living dead in weeks. wastelands came today. maybe i'll have better luck with that. ><

fernandito
12-16-2008, 05:33 PM
I got Shadows of the Empire in the mail today!

SQUEEEEEEEEEE!!!

manbearpig
12-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Currently, I'm not reading any book in particular because I've been so busy with college.
But the last book I read was Eric Clapton's Autobiography. I thought it was great, since I really like his music and it also sheds a lot of light on not only his life and what inspired him but on the lives of fellow musicians he befriended. It's a really good read if you're a fan of Clapton, and if you aren't then it's a great way to learn about him and his music and maybe then become a fan =D

I've read 2 Kurt Vonnegut books to date: Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse-Five.
I've become a fan of his but he has so many books to choose from, I'm having some trouble figuring out which one I should read next over holiday vacations.
Any suggestions? =)
Thanks, guys. Take care.

John_and_Yoko
12-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Currently, I'm not reading any book in particular because I've been so busy with college.
But the last book I read was Eric Clapton's Autobiography. I thought it was great, since I really like his music and it also sheds a lot of light on not only his life and what inspired him but on the lives of fellow musicians he befriended. It's a really good read if you're a fan of Clapton, and if you aren't then it's a great way to learn about him and his music and maybe then become a fan =D

I've read 2 Kurt Vonnegut books to date: Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse-Five.
I've become a fan of his but he has so many books to choose from, I'm having some trouble figuring out which one I should read next over holiday vacations.
Any suggestions? =)
Thanks, guys. Take care.

It's the only Vonnegut book I've ever read, but it's stayed with me in all that time, because it got me started thinking for myself:

Mother Night.

idk, my bff jill?
12-16-2008, 06:16 PM
It's the only Vonnegut book I've ever read, but it's stayed with me in all that time, because it got me started thinking for myself:

Mother Night.

I was just going to suggest Mother Night, too.
That or Breakfast of Champions, thought I prefer the former.

manbearpig
12-16-2008, 06:45 PM
My english professor, who was the one who got me started on Kurt Vonnegut books, also suggested Breakfast of Champions. I heard of Mother Night too.
I'll put those on the top of the list. Thanks guys!

jayson
12-16-2008, 06:54 PM
If you're making a Vonnegut list, put Sirens of Titan at the top of it. It's his best. :)

fernandito
12-16-2008, 09:37 PM
I plan on reading that soon, Jayson.

bluelph24
12-17-2008, 04:00 AM
slapstick, deadeye dick, and timequake were all fun vonnegut reads too. have bought player piano by kurt also, but have yet to rwead it

jayson
12-17-2008, 05:14 AM
I plan on reading that soon, Jayson.

I hope you like it Feev. I suspect you will.

Daghain
12-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Halfway through Duma Key and it's killing me I can't find more time to read - it's getting really, really good. :panic:

3 DOORS DOWN
12-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Just started Just after sunset,i've read willa so far and think the books off to a good start.Hope the rest of the book is as good.

SigTauGimp
12-20-2008, 01:18 AM
About to start "Snow Crash" from Neal Stephenson...heard about it from a friend, and sounds pretty neat to me.

The Lady of Shadows
12-20-2008, 12:43 PM
sig - neal stephenson rocks. i warn you though, after snow crash you're going to want to read everything he's ever written so make room in your schedule.

SigTauGimp
12-21-2008, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the warning/heads up. I'm sure I'll get sucked in...only 20 pages or so in, and I already love the world he's created.

bluelph24
12-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Bad Twin - Gary Troup

the lost tie in book :cool:

Girlystevedave
12-22-2008, 02:23 PM
It will probably take me forever to finish, but I started IT today. :)

obscurejude
12-22-2008, 02:35 PM

Cool. My favorite SK book. I hope you enjoy it.

Heather19
12-22-2008, 02:40 PM

I get so excited whenever I hear someone is reading this one. Enjoy, it's a wonderful story!

fernandito
12-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Still working my way through Just After Sunset; I have Gaiman's The Graveyard Book and McCarthy's The Road on the waiting deck. :)

Girlystevedave
12-22-2008, 02:44 PM

I get so excited whenever I hear someone is reading this one. Enjoy, it's a wonderful story!

I'm pretty excited to finally read it too. I hope I like it.

If not...I'll let you know. :shoot:
:lol:

Heather19
12-22-2008, 02:48 PM

I'm pretty excited to finally read it too. I hope I like it.

If not...I'll let you know. :shoot:

I have no doubt that you'll love it.

Feev let me know how The Graveyard Book is once you've read it. I was looking at it online, and it looked really good, but it said it was geared towards young kids, so I didn't know if it would be too childish.

fernandito
12-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Amanda - L-l-l-et me know i-iff B-b-Bill's stuttering g-gets on your n-n-nerves after a w-w-while!

Heather - You g-g-g-got it!

:cyclops:

Girlystevedave
12-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Amanda - L-l-l-et me know i-iff B-b-Bill's stuttering g-gets on your n-n-nerves after a w-w-while!

Once again...Don't you ruin this for me!
No, seriously. If I can look past your bad chat spelling on a regular basis, what's a little st-st-stuttering.

obscurejude
12-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Feev didn't read far enough to know how it was resolved. :dance:

Unfound One
12-22-2008, 03:05 PM
I :wub: Bill.

Amanda, I hope you love IT. Honestly, I think you will.
It is a little slow going in the beginning (one of those I started a couple different times before getting super interested) but once you get past the somewhat slow start I think you'll like it.
It might even become your favorite. :D

Heather19
12-22-2008, 03:07 PM

:lol: So, you know I'm going to start bugging you again. Have you read anymore of it yet?

obscurejude
12-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Feev, the ghost thrust his hands upon the post.

Unfound One
12-22-2008, 03:10 PM
That's what she said.... :unsure:

obscurejude
12-22-2008, 03:12 PM
:unsure:

Ruthful
12-22-2008, 03:19 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51H3LdcomsL.jpg

Daghain
12-22-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm about 250 pages from the end of Duma Key. I am determined to finish it before the voting closes. Two days! Luckily it's boring as hell at work right now and I am sooooo taking it tomorrow. :D

SigTauGimp
12-23-2008, 02:47 AM
Just finished Snow Crash, from Neal Stephenson, and I loved it.
I think this is just the first in a long line of books from him that I'm going to have to read. :drool:

Jean
12-23-2008, 10:07 AM
I am reading 20th Century Ghost Alexander brought to me, and liking it a lot more than Heart-Shaped Box

Daghain
12-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Ooh! I love that book. Pop Art is probably my favorite story. :D

Brice
12-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Pop Art is brilliant. I'm rereading that book myself. I don't think there's a story in there I didn't love. It's one of the best short story collections (and I read alot of them) that I've found in many years.

Heather19
12-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Agreed. I loved 20th Century Ghosts. Great collection, and I think Pop Art might be my favorite short story ever.

jayson
12-23-2008, 12:19 PM
I'll have to get a copy soon and read it. I could do with a good short story collection seeing how little I cared for J.A.S.

Right now I am re-reading Black House (again, this is the 4th go-round). It gets better every time.

fernandito
12-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I'll have to get a copy soon and read it. I could do with a good short story collection seeing how little I cared for J.A.S.

You said it. I'm on the 5th or 6th story right now, and I have to say that the only half-decent story I've read so far has been The Gingerbread Girl. Everything else is.... meh.

jayson
12-23-2008, 12:57 PM
I loved "N". A few others were ok. The rest, I thought "sucked" would be a generous description.

Heather19
12-23-2008, 01:30 PM
I think I'm still stuck at the halfway point. I actually kinda forgot about it, I had picked something else up and now I don't really have any desire to go back and finish the remaining stories.

Ruthful
12-23-2008, 05:45 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RU51u1mnL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Daghain
12-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Just finished Duma Key (absolutely loved it!) and am now reading We Survived: Fourteen Histories of the Hidden and Hunted in Nazi Germany by Eric H. Boehm.

3 DOORS DOWN
12-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Just started a reread of the Hobbit,it must be 10 years since i last read it.

bluelph24
12-25-2008, 07:00 PM
finished abd twin. now reading a lion among men, the third book in the wicked series

Ruthful
12-25-2008, 10:19 PM
finished abd twin. now reading a lion among men, the third book in the wicked series

I saw that in B&N the other day. I have yet to read the first sequel to that novel, although I'm sure it's well-written.

SigTauGimp
12-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Me either...I read "Wicked" then, for some reason, just kinda forgot about the series...I guess I should get into those after my Neal Stephenson kick wears off. :P

Ruthful
12-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Why We Suck, by Dennis Leary

Heather19
12-26-2008, 08:04 AM

Let me know how it is. I just bought this for my mom for Christmas.

Ruthful
12-26-2008, 05:37 PM

It's pretty amusing, but extremely offensive, especially if you're a feminist, have Asperger's syndrome/autism, are overweight, or are not in favor of open borders. I still thought it was interesting to read though-even when I thought Leary was making an idiotic point-so you're mom should enjoy it. Lots of profanity though. Lots!

college_ewok
12-26-2008, 05:42 PM
The Chronicles of Narnia

Unfound One
12-26-2008, 06:29 PM
I started Just After Sunset today at work.
We shall see. I only got through the first story and it was so-so.

Ruthful
12-26-2008, 10:22 PM
I enjoyed reading it, even if it was the weakest of King's published short story collections-not as good as Nightmares & Dreamscapes, and not nearly as good as Everything's Eventual.

I still thought it was better than every post-TDT novel that's been published to this point. I still love reading his short stories and novellas, although not as much as I used to.

Jon
12-26-2008, 11:51 PM
I cannot decide to begin reading "Sunset" or Clive Cussler's Artic Drift."

Heather19
12-27-2008, 08:31 AM

It's pretty amusing, but extremely offensive, especially if you're a feminist, have Asperger's syndrome/autism, are overweight, or are not in favor of open borders. I still thought it was interesting to read though-even when I thought Leary was making an idiotic point-so you're mom should enjoy it. Lots of profanity though. Lots!

I think she's already about halfway done with it, and so far she loves it.

I still thought it was better than every post-TDT novel that's been published to this point. I still love reading his short stories and novellas, although not as much as I used to.

But what about Duma Key? :(

Ruthful
12-27-2008, 10:01 AM
I read a couple hundred pages of Duma Key before I had to return it to the library. It wasn't bad, but I don't think it's one of his novels that I feel compelled to go back and finish.

I still feel that he peaked when the final, eponymous volume of TDT was published. The only one that he'll write, which I'll feel compelled to actually go out and purchase, is the third Talisman novel he might co-write with Peter Straub. Also, if he does another collection with unpublished stories-not new ones he's writing now, or ones he "finds" after twenty or thirty years, which is edited in all sorts of ways before its published.

Heather19
12-27-2008, 01:11 PM
I would urge you to try to finish Duma Key at some point. I would actually put it up there as one of my top King novels.

Also I just got back from the bookstore and I picked up a copy of Neverwhere by Gaimen which I'll probably start tonight. And they also had Interworld on audio cd on sale so I picked that up as well.

Ruthful
12-27-2008, 07:32 PM
I never knew that Neil Gaiman had written children's books until I went to B&N to look for a gift for my niece and stumbled upon some of his novels in the young adults section.

bluelph24
12-30-2008, 10:27 AM
done with a lion among men, on to The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturnes

idk, my bff jill?
12-30-2008, 11:04 AM
"Bluebeard" by Kurt Vonnegut

jayson
12-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Excellent choice Paula. Vonnegut rules and that is a great one. :thumbsup:

fernandito
12-30-2008, 11:16 AM
The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman.

Iwritecode
12-30-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm just finishing up the LOTR trilogy. I've got about 100 pages to go.

I got Just After Sunset and Duma Key for Christmas. They are next on my list.

Ruthful
12-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Wise Guy: Life in a Mafia Family
by Nicholas Pileggi

The Irregulars: Roald Dahl and the British Spy Ring in Wartime Washington
by Jennet Conant

Sexless in the City: A Memoir of Reluctant Chastity
by Anna Broadway

ladysai
12-31-2008, 03:47 AM
My secret santa at work got me 'Just After Sunset', and I'm about 3/4 through it.
I'm enjoying these stories a lot. Especially 'N'.

Jean
12-31-2008, 04:09 AM
::envious bear::

fernandito
12-31-2008, 07:54 AM
by Nicholas Pileggi

Goodfellas? :D

I want to read that book too.

William50
12-31-2008, 09:58 AM
I just started Storm Front by Jim Butcher. Its book 1 of a series called The Dresden Files. I've never even heard if these books until i saw one in borders. might as well give em' a try. :)

Ruthful
12-31-2008, 02:32 PM
by Nicholas Pileggi

Goodfellas? :D

I want to read that book too.

The book is even better than the film!

I don't know why, but I'm obsessed with everything Henry Hill. I even read the memoir written about his family by his two adult children.

He is like a walking, talking train wreck.

Daghain
12-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Just finished We Survived: Fourteen Stories of the Hidden and Hunted in Nazi Germany[/I] and am now reading The Double Bind, by Chris Bohjalian.

William50
12-31-2008, 05:39 PM
I might just read the Green Mile again. I just cant get enough of that book. King at his best.

Gunkslinger
01-01-2009, 04:50 AM
Just finished Douglas Preston's Blasphemy. Good stuff!

Ruthful
01-01-2009, 04:55 AM
I might just read the Green Mile again. I just cant get enough of that book. King at his best.

I started reading that when it was first released as a serial novel, and loved it. Have never seen the movie, but have heard good things about it.

Brice
01-01-2009, 04:59 AM
You should see it. It is one of the best King adaptions.

Ruthful
01-01-2009, 05:05 AM
I've seen snippets from the film. It's one of those things you see dozens of times-in passing-but never stop to actually watch in total. It's like the opposite of Stand by Me, which I've probably seen a dozen times.

Brice
01-01-2009, 05:07 AM
It is in the same class as Stand By Me, IMO.

Ruthful
01-01-2009, 05:11 AM
I don't know.

Stand by Me is one of the best adaptations to film, IMO. Outside of The Shining-by Kubrick-and the Shawshenk Redemption I'd say that's one of the best movies based upon a Stephen King story/novel.

Ruthful
01-01-2009, 05:11 AM
And Misery!

Forgot about that.

Brice
01-01-2009, 05:14 AM
You should give it a chance, my friend. :)

Ruthful
01-01-2009, 05:26 AM
Maybe I will.

I'm going to be honest; I love most of the films with Tom Hanks. I've never watched 'Castaway,' because it just seemed so stupid, but other than that I've never had a problem with him as an actor.

Brice
01-01-2009, 05:55 AM
I like him too. I skipped Castaway also. I could be wrong, but I was unimpressed with the whole idea of it.

Heather19
01-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Definitely check it out when you get a chance G. I know you'll enjoy it. It really is one of the better adaptations done of a King story.

William50
01-01-2009, 09:02 AM

Agreed. I think it is the best. Stand by Me in close 2nd.

MonteGss
01-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Print - The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Audio - The Talisman by SK & PS

William50
01-01-2009, 04:57 PM
I've decided to read LOTR Return of the King this weekend. Im pumped!:nana:

bluelph24
01-01-2009, 05:07 PM
finished the first 3 volumes of Sandman, Tales of Beedle the Bard, and am just starting Brisingr, the third book in that Eragon series. idk, certainly not the best series ever, but fun nonetheless, and despite obvious borrowings from Star Wars and LOTR.

Seymour_Glass
01-01-2009, 05:10 PM

GM is second after The Shawshank Redemption, I think. Of course freaking Forrest Gump won the Oscar for Best Picture that year. Gump was good, but Shawshank and Pulp Fiction were both definitely better.It's why I've stopped putting stock into the academy awards.
Also, if any of you find my overuse of spoiler tags annoying, let me know. I probably won't stop, but still.

William50
01-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Dude spoiler tags are cool. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Brice
01-01-2009, 08:02 PM

GM is second after The Shawshank Redemption, I think. Of course freaking Forrest Gump won the Oscar for Best Picture that year. Gump was good, but Shawshank and Pulp Fiction were both definitely better.It's why I've stopped putting stock into the academy awards.
Also, if any of you find my overuse of spoiler tags annoying, let me know. I probably won't stop, but still.Iforonedonotmindthespoilertags :cyclops:

William50
01-01-2009, 08:13 PM

Also, if any of you find my overuse of spoiler tags annoying, let me know. I probably won't stop, but still.Iforonedonotmindthespoilertags :cyclops:

:clap: That......was.....AMAZING!!!!

Brice
01-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Thank you, sir! ;)

The Lady of Shadows
01-02-2009, 08:08 AM
and this year's award for best use of spoiler tags goes to:

brice beede for his amazing multi-layered message! :clap:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/turtlesong/firstplace.gif

Redsoxtony13
01-02-2009, 10:06 AM
I currently finishing up Duma Key and half way through Cash by Johnny Cash. I just went to the book store today and bought Blaze and Black House. Thinking I will re read the Talisman before I hit BH though.

The Lady of Shadows
01-02-2009, 11:05 AM
I currently finishing up Duma Key and half way through Cash by Johnny Cash. I just went to the book store today and bought Blaze and Black House. Thinking I will re read the Talisman before I hit BH though.

an excellent idea. :D

Darkthoughts
01-02-2009, 02:38 PM
I was looking through my old Freak Brothers comics the other day and feeling a bit miffed that they were so worn, torn and even lost in some cases...

...well look what I bought at the bookstore today :nana:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/towerjunkie19/freakbros.jpg

MonteGss
01-02-2009, 04:23 PM
In addition to The Road and The Talisman (as I listed on the previous page), I had the urge to pick up The Drawing of the Three last night. I am currently half way through.

Before starting my audio of The Talisman, I listened to Frank Muller's Gunslinger and what can I say....it's time for another reread. :D

Rjeso
01-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Just finished Snow Crash, from Neal Stephenson, and I loved it.
I think this is just the first in a long line of books from him that I'm going to have to read. :drool:

I love Neal Stephenson. Cryptonomicon is my favorite. As long as you can skip over or pretend to understand his mathematically-heavy Waterhouse bits, you should enjoy it. :lol: (They're not all math-talk, anyway, and Waterhouse segments are probably the funniest to me.)

Brice
01-02-2009, 06:57 PM
I was looking through my old Freak Brothers comics the other day and feeling a bit miffed that they were so worn, torn and even lost in some cases...

...well look what I bought at the bookstore today :nana:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/towerjunkie19/freakbros.jpg

Oh, wow! I haven't seen those in years.

William50
01-02-2009, 09:05 PM
I've never heard of it..but now i'm curious. WIKIPEDIA TIME!:harrier:

Brice
01-03-2009, 07:12 AM
The Freak Brothers are awesome! :D

Darkthoughts
01-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Now how did I know you'd be a fan too, Brice :orely:

Brice
01-03-2009, 09:00 AM
I have no idea. :|

Darkthoughts
01-03-2009, 09:13 AM
I also have, in mint condition, the complete set of Fat Freddie's Cat comics :cool:

Brice
01-03-2009, 09:16 AM
I used to have all of both of those...a very long time ago.

Darkthoughts
01-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Yeah, I had all the Freak Bros comics too, but people would borrow them and not bring 'em back...or just spill stuff or whatever by accident if we were having a bit of a sesh :D

I think if they could choose, that's the way Freak Bros comics would like to go out...death by stoner :lol:

Brice
01-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Very true! :lol:

3 DOORS DOWN
01-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Just finished a reread of the hobbit and started to read The Way Of
Shadows by Brent Weeks.Book 1 in "THE NIGHT ANGEL" trilogy.

William50
01-03-2009, 01:06 PM
The Hobbit ROCKS!!!!!:cool:

Heather19
01-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Just finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. That was my first Gaiman book, and I quite enjoyed it.
Next up, I think I might start The Terror by Dan Simmons. And maybe Vol 1 of The Sandman.

LadyHitchhiker
01-04-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm reading Laurell K Hamilton's Merry Gentry series.. I am on the second book now.

Letti
01-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm reading Laurell K Hamilton's Merry Gentry series.. I am on the second book now.

You should be rereading the DT series. Or have you finished your rereading?
You can open such good and crazy threads. :)

jhanic
01-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm reading Erec Rex: The Dragon's Eye, by Kaza Kingsley. It's a young adult book (recommended to me by my 12-year-old grandson). It's not the best.

John

bluelph24
01-04-2009, 12:08 PM
onto player piano - vonnegut

Daghain
01-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Just finished The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian (thumbs up!) and am now doing a reread of Four Past Midnight.

MonteGss
01-05-2009, 02:45 AM
The Waste Lands by Stephen King

ManOfWesternesse
01-05-2009, 05:57 AM
Finished my re-read of Robert Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' series - all 11 Books of it. - Good as it ever was!

Now reading Christopher paolini's third Inheritance book - 'Brisingr' - Not a bad little series, but god the writing is very immature in places (and it seems to me, worse in this third book than in the other 2?)

jayson
01-05-2009, 06:17 AM
(Re)Reading Vonnegut's God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater.

Seymour_Glass
01-05-2009, 03:54 PM
I just finished that. Loved it.

Ruthful
01-09-2009, 03:56 AM
Madame De Stael: The First Modern Woman, by Francine Du Plessix Gray

What I talk About When I Talk About Running, by Haruki Murakami

Rimbaud: The Double Life Of A Rebel, by Edmund White

The Cosmic Geek
01-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Just finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. That was my first Gaiman book, and I quite enjoyed it.
Next up, I think I might start The Terror by Dan Simmons. And maybe Vol 1 of The Sandman.

I still need to read most of Gaiman's novels, but I would recommend Stardust. The movie was good, but the book is oh so much better. Great read.

Volume one of Sandman is great, especially the very first issue. I've said it before and I will say it again, one of the very best comics I have ever read.

(If you read Sandman and wind up really liking it, I would also recommend checking out Fables by Bill Willingham. The first graphic novel is titled Legends in Exile.)

Brice
01-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Something Wicked This Way Comes

Daghain
01-09-2009, 07:56 AM
:thumbsup:

Good choice!

fernandito
01-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Volume one of Sandman is great, especially the very first issue. I've said it before and I will say it again, one of the very best comics I have ever read.

(If you read Sandman and wind up really liking it, I would also recommend checking out Fables by Bill Willingham. The first graphic novel is titled Legends in Exile.)

WTH? Are you my Twinner? Is your real name Hernando? :lol:

jayson
01-09-2009, 08:48 AM
So if you had a twin you'd want him to have a name that rhymes with yours? Would you guys dress the same as well? :P

sarah
01-09-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm slowly coming out of my reader block. I'm about 100 pages into Black House.

jayson
01-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Good to hear Maer, and Black House is a good book to sink yourself into to get back into reading regularly.

The Cosmic Geek
01-09-2009, 11:53 AM

WTH? Are you my Twinner? Is your real name Hernando? :lol:

Great minds think alike!

Oh, and Something Wicked This Way Comes is a great book. Great movie too!

John_and_Yoko
01-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Just started reading His Dark Materials today. Only two chapters in, but it's a start. And I'm already seeing differences with the movie....

John Blaze
01-09-2009, 08:03 PM
on a Crichton kick. I'd reading sphere and andromeda strain right now, just finished timeline and both jurassic's, and congo.

I love me some crichton

fernandito
01-10-2009, 08:17 AM
I love Sphere :wub: Definitely in my top 10.

The Cosmic Geek
01-10-2009, 05:44 PM
I've been wanting to read Crichton's 13th Warrior still and Westworld.

sarah
01-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Just started reading His Dark Materials today. Only two chapters in, but it's a start. And I'm already seeing differences with the movie....

YAY! good to hear. It took me about half the book to really get into The Golden Compass. I hope you love it and don't give up. The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass are so freaking good.

John Blaze
01-10-2009, 11:09 PM
I've been wanting to read Crichton's 13th Warrior still and Westworld.
I like those too!

I love Sphere :wub: Definitely in my top 10.

really? timeline and the lost world are two of my favorites of his. even more than jurassic park and congo.

Wuducynn
01-10-2009, 11:20 PM
The Way of Wyrd for the third time in fifteen years. Wonderful book.

John_and_Yoko
01-11-2009, 12:11 AM

YAY! good to hear. It took me about half the book to really get into The Golden Compass. I hope you love it and don't give up. The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass are so freaking good.

I intend to keep going. :) After the movie I'm curious to see what inspired it all--and where it went afterward....

razz
01-11-2009, 07:32 AM
almost 2/3 into Rose Madder

jayson
01-11-2009, 10:43 AM

I :wub: Rose Madder.

Daghain
01-11-2009, 11:26 AM

This is good to hear, as I have added these to my "to read" pile. :D

fernandito
01-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Currently reading McCarthy's The Road, and I am deeply enjoying it. :)

razz
01-11-2009, 07:45 PM

I :wub: Rose Madder.
yeah it's awesome

college_ewok
01-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Im reading The Chronicles of Narnua. Im on the 5th book.

obscurejude
01-11-2009, 09:10 PM

I'm taking a graduate seminar on him this semester. No previous exposure.

Daghain
01-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Oh my God. Seriously. I tried to read Blood Meridian and it is the ONLY book I have started, and never finished. And it was for a class, for a GRADE.

You all amaze me. Really.

fernandito
01-12-2009, 05:12 AM
I think once you get used to the no quotation-marks thing, it's actually a very moving and entertaining book.

*Edit*

Referring to The Road here.

jayson
01-12-2009, 05:16 AM
So the absence of quotation marks is a consistent thing in his writing? The only McCarthy I've read is No Country for Old Men in which I loved the story but hated the style, much of it due to that. It was very distracting to have to read "he said" after you've read something in order to know it's dialogue. It breaks the rhythm.

fernandito
01-12-2009, 05:20 AM
It does kind of break the rhythmn, doesn't it... wonder what McCarthy has against quotation marks? Or does he think he's being somewhat clever from excluding them?

*shrug*

jayson
01-12-2009, 05:24 AM
When I first read No Country... last year, I suspected he'd never head of them, but that seems unlikely. I'm not sure what prompted the stylistic choice but I know I don't care for it. Perhaps it works better via audio book. I'll have to see what my library has. :orely:

Brice
01-12-2009, 05:39 AM
When I first read No Country... last year, I suspected he'd never head of them, but that seems unlikely. I'm not sure what prompted the stylistic choice but I know I don't care for it. Perhaps it works better via audio book. I'll have to see what my library has. :orely:

Maybe in the audio it STILL says he said everytime. :lol:

jayson
01-12-2009, 05:44 AM
I think in the audio version the narrator actually says "quotation marks" whenever dialogue appears. :P

Brice
01-12-2009, 05:46 AM
Oh, that would be fucking awesome if he hired some narrator irked by his lack of quotation marks who actually did that. :rofl:

Daghain
01-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Personally, I have a major hate on for the guy, specifically because he can't use fucking quotation marks. He offends me as an English major. :pullhair:

I think he thinks he's e.e. cummings or something. He needs to get over himself. /rant

Wuducynn
01-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Personally, I have a major hate on for the guy,

"hate on" being the polar opposite of "hard on".

Daghain
01-12-2009, 10:16 AM
EXACTLY. :D

lophophoras
01-12-2009, 10:42 AM
I just started The Myth Hunters by Christopher Golden.

Gunkslinger
01-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Reading "The Stake" by Richard Laymon.

William50
01-13-2009, 05:47 PM
The Hobbit......yet again :cool:

The Cosmic Geek
01-13-2009, 06:32 PM

I love that book.

William50
01-13-2009, 07:12 PM

I love that book.

:thumbsup:

SigTauGimp
01-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Currently halfway through "Saving Charlie" by Aury Wallington. It's part of the "Heroes" television series, dealing with Hiro.
Randomly received it during the holidays, and since I'm such a fan of the show, decided to read it...very not bad so far.

Jean
01-14-2009, 01:11 AM
reading Just After Sunset. Meh.

ManOfWesternesse
01-14-2009, 01:12 AM

Personally, I have a major hate on for the guy, specifically because he can't use fucking quotation marks...

The Road is still an amazingly great read though. One of the best Books by any author in recent years.

I've read No Country - pretty good too.
Also read the 'Border Trilogy' (Pretty Horses - The Crossing - Cities of the Plain) - reasonably good, though they dragged for me in parts and were good in others.
I must try some more of him one of these days.

Daghain - yes of course the quote thing can be very tedious at times. I honestly think he just uses it to deliberately seperate himself from other writers. He's good enough not to need it - but did 'Critics' maybe initially seperate him from the herd because of that quirky style? (You know what strange creatures critics can be sometimes...)

Gunkslinger
01-14-2009, 04:42 AM
So the absence of quotation marks is a consistent thing in his writing? The only McCarthy I've read is No Country for Old Men in which I loved the story but hated the style, much of it due to that. It was very distracting to have to read "he said" after you've read something in order to know it's dialogue. It breaks the rhythm.

Maybe his " key is stuck on his keyboard.

alinda
01-14-2009, 07:07 AM
reading Just After Sunset. Meh.

Me too thanks to you, its grand to be sharing a 'book" with you. NO mehs about it!:wtf:

Jean
01-14-2009, 07:12 AM
Yes, that's what bears love, too! Reading a book together is great. It might even make me feel better about what I'm reading... in fact, a whole lot better...

Odetta
01-14-2009, 07:37 AM
I am currently reading "A World Without Us" by Weissman...very interesting look at what the world would be like if humans suddenly disappeared.

Daghain
01-14-2009, 09:12 AM

Personally, I have a major hate on for the guy, specifically because he can't use fucking quotation marks...

The Road is still an amazingly great read though. One of the best Books by any author in recent years.

I've read No Country - pretty good too.
Also read the 'Border Trilogy' (Pretty Horses - The Crossing - Cities of the Plain) - reasonably good, though they dragged for me in parts and were good in others.
I must try some more of him one of these days.

Daghain - yes of course the quote thing can be very tedious at times. I honestly think he just uses it to deliberately seperate himself from other writers. He's good enough not to need it - but did 'Critics' maybe initially seperate him from the herd because of that quirky style? (You know what strange creatures critics can be sometimes...)

Sorry, but if you can't be bothered to use proper punctuation when you're writing a BOOK, I can't be bothered to read it. I still think he's a moron. :lol:

Book Meridian now has the distinction of being the ONLY book I have put down unfinished.

fernandito
01-14-2009, 01:18 PM
*Blood Meridian? :)

I want to read that book as well, it's supposed to be a ridiculously bloody western.

Daghain
01-14-2009, 01:44 PM
LOL WTF was I doing. Yeah, Blood Meridian. The blood part is about all I can remember. :lol:

John Blaze
01-15-2009, 01:53 AM
bloody western ey?

what's it called again? *starts scribbling*

SigTauGimp
01-15-2009, 02:03 AM
Finished up with "Saving Charlie"...meh.

Starting on my umpteen'th re-read of the Myst Trilogy...The Books of Atrus, Ti'ana, and D'ni:excited:...still waiting on those fourth and fifth books to come out. :pullhair:

ManOfWesternesse
01-15-2009, 02:17 AM
bloody western ey?

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on the local Bookshops fro Blood Meridian for a while now - but never see it.
I guess I'll have to find it on Amazon or something.

I'm still reading 'Brisingr' (the third Paolini 'Inheritance' Book)
Not bad, but the style (poor writing - poor editing ??) in places is annoying me a bit. Still worth a read though.

Ka-mai
01-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Just After Sunset.

I only have one more story to read, but I just can't motivate myself to do it. I don't know if I'm getting over Stephen King or if these just aren't up to his usual standard, but I'm not terribly impressed. The Cat From Hell was pretty good, but he did write it like 30 years ago, so.... <_<

Emily
01-15-2009, 09:20 PM
I just finished The Time Traveller's Wife. Someone recommended it to me and I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I was going to, it was surprisingly captivating to me.

Jean
01-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Just After Sunset.
I only have one more story to read, but I just can't motivate myself to do it. I don't know if I'm getting over Stephen King or if these just aren't up to his usual standard, but I'm not terribly impressed. The Cat From Hell was pretty good, but he did write it like 30 years ago, so.... <_<
I don't know if you're getting "over" King - I hope it's not the case because he is an outstanding writer - but this collection really is very disappointing. I can't remember being so bored since Lisey's Story - and I have to admit LS had at least something to speak for it, while JAS has nothing. I found two passable stories (Rest Stop and Mute), but passable isn't what you expect of King. The rest is absolutely excruciating.

John Blaze
01-16-2009, 03:08 AM
bloody western ey?

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on the local Bookshops fro Blood Meridian for a while now - but never see it.
I guess I'll have to find it on Amazon or something.

I'm still reading 'Brisingr' (the third Paolini 'Inheritance' Book)
Not bad, but the style (poor writing - poor editing ??) in places is annoying me a bit. Still worth a read though.

I've felt that way with all the Paolini books. The story is very entertaining, (when he's not obviously ripping off other works), but the writing and editing are horrible. I'm incredibly pissed that the publishers couldn't get their shit together enough to find an editor that could make it a smooth read at least.

Which is my other peeve with Cormac McCarthy, why couldn't Random House just tell him to eat shit? I don't think any primadonna now except maybe King has the unbridled respect from a publishing company to say "this is how i wrote it and this is how you're publishing it"

If I were the publisher I'd tell him to go whistle dixie. Why let these writers get away with this shit?

Honestly I've never read a Cormac McCarthy book. I've heard about him before, but not sure if it's worth plodding through.

jayson
01-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Which is my other peeve with Cormac McCarthy, why couldn't Random House just tell him to eat shit? I don't think any primadonna now except maybe King has the unbridled respect from a publishing company to say "this is how i wrote it and this is how you're publishing it"

If I were the publisher I'd tell him to go whistle dixie. Why let these writers get away with this shit?

Honestly I've never read a Cormac McCarthy book. I've heard about him before, but not sure if it's worth plodding through.

I feel much the same way after finally reading No Country... last year. Was it worth it? Yes. The story itself was that good, I'll give it that. The reading is just a little more work than it needs to be. I suppose once you get around to reading one you can decide if you'd go through it again. Right now I wouldn't but I'm not far enough removed chronologically from that read so the style issues are still fresh in my mind.

The Lady of Shadows
01-16-2009, 11:27 AM
I just finished The Time Traveller's Wife. Someone recommended it to me and I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I was going to, it was surprisingly captivating to me.

i thought that was a wonderful book. i'm so glad you liked it. may i ask who recommended it to you? i'm always interested with that book if it was a male or female who recommended it. also, what's that as your av? :)

razz
01-16-2009, 11:32 AM
I finished Rose Madder yesterday. Awesome book. loved it.
now i read the bookclub book. assuming i can ever find it <_<
I checked the library, and they have about sixty copies of Dandelion Wine (must be a popular book), but only one copy of "something wicked", and it's been overdue for a month.:pullhair:

Ka-mai
01-16-2009, 12:17 PM
I finished Just After Sunset, and I can honestly say I wish I had not read the last story.

Jean, you're right, Mute was very good. The confession element was particularly enjoyable.

I liked Graduation Afternoon just for the surrealness of it. It felt like some days I've had, only not with hugely rich people on the edge of NYC. Gingerbread Girl was a load of crap, how many times can he write the "troubled woman stumbles into serial killer's path and must escape" plot? Come on! N. also had that sense of "read it before," it was basically recycled From a Buick 8 and something else I can't quite remember.

Basically, disappointed. Honestly King's new work has not impressed me, I think the last thing I really, really enjoyed was Bag of Bones. Although Everything's Eventual had some high points.

Emily
01-16-2009, 12:37 PM

i thought that was a wonderful book. i'm so glad you liked it. may i ask who recommended it to you? i'm always interested with that book if it was a male or female who recommended it. also, what's that as your av? :)

My older brother recommended it to me, and since then my two other brothers have read it and also loved it. I heard they're making it into a movie with Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana as Claire and Henry, have you heard anything about that?

As for my avatar, I think it's a hamster on it's back! :) I found the picture online a few years ago and think it's hilarious! I use it every chance I get. I know, I'm weird haha

Matt
01-16-2009, 01:08 PM
I think it's cute.

I'm reading JAS at home and listening to Twighlight in my car. My daughter bought it for me for Christmas.

John Blaze
01-16-2009, 02:45 PM
disown her.

MonteGss
01-16-2009, 02:49 PM
I read the Twilight series last month. It's a super easy read but a pretty average story.
I likevampires and werewolvesso I read them.

I currently am reading DT3 and I finished The Road on Wednesday. I'm listening to The Talisman.

fernandito
01-16-2009, 02:53 PM
I finished The Road on Wednesday...

I'm just finishing this up as well - how did you like it?

Matt
01-16-2009, 02:56 PM
I read the Twilight series last month. It's a super easy read but a pretty average story.

I currently am reading DT3 and I finished The Road on Wednesday. I'm listening to The Talisman.

I'm enjoying it okay, nice distraction. I could use someone getting their head ripped off but...it's pretty good.

Heather19
01-16-2009, 02:59 PM

Now that's the same problem I have. I've really been wanting to read The Road since it came out, but then I started hearing everyone's stories about how hard it can be to read his books that I keep pushing it to the back of my to-read pile.

MonteGss
01-16-2009, 03:08 PM

I liked if feve. It certainly takes some getting used to the writing style but it was pretty good. Good enough that I want to check out another novel by McCarthy anyways. :)

I'm enjoying it okay, nice distraction. I could use someone getting their head ripped off but...it's pretty good.

I like the author's vision of her "monsters." It is better that some other authors that have written in that genre.

How is the narrator Matt? I listened to a preview on Audible of her but I wasn't sure I'd be able to get used to her voice.

theyspunaweb
01-16-2009, 03:17 PM

I intend to keep going. :) After the movie I'm curious to see what inspired it all--and where it went afterward....

When I started reading the Golden Compass (the frist time, before I knew a movie was coming) I didn't realize it was part of a 3 part story. I got to the end of the book and it said "End of Book 1" here, I thought it was going to get somewhere when I was wrapping the book up and all I could think was...this little girl better hurry up she sure has a lot to do in...20 pages. I didn't have any idea The Golden Compass was part of a series because the book had found it's way to me through a garage sale or friend or something. And that title was much more well known to me than the rest, and I wasn't even firmilliar with "His Dark Materials" so...yeah! alas I had 2 more books to go. Keep reading, they do get a lot more interesting!

Matt
01-16-2009, 03:19 PM

I liked if feve. It certainly takes some getting used to the writing style but it was pretty good. Good enough that I want to check out another novel by McCarthy anyways. :)

I like the author's vision of her "monsters." It is better that some other authors that have written in that genre.

How is the narrator Matt? I listened to a preview on Audible of her but I wasn't sure I'd be able to get used to her voice.

I think they chose her because she sounds like an emo 17 year old girl. :lol:

It's been okay for me but I am already used to her, she read on another book I listened to.

MonteGss
01-16-2009, 03:21 PM
That makes sense I guess.

John Blaze
01-16-2009, 03:21 PM
it probably is an emo 17 yr old girl.

i got zero love for Twilight, and I like what monte likes......

MonteGss
01-16-2009, 03:29 PM
As far as young girl romance stories, I'd put Twilight higher than Pride and Prejudice.

Dumbest Book Ever.

Darkthoughts
01-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Monts, you should read Code 61 by Donald Harstad, awesome vampire book - totally original take on it :thumbsup:

Either that or you could listen to the audio of me reading you the riot act if you outbid me on Lisey's Story again :P

HellBeast
01-16-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm RIGHT AT THE END of 'The Last Watch' by Sergei Lukyanenko. They are easily my favourite non-King books of all time. The films didn't do the books justice to be honest. I love the little comedic elements to the novels, like Anton will have just killed a Higher Vampire and then come out with some witty little remark or his boss will give him some silly little assignment. Plus the fight scenes kick ass :)

MonteGss
01-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Monts, you should read Code 61 by Donald Harstad, awesome vampire book - totally original take on it :thumbsup:

Either that or you could listen to the audio of me reading you the riot act if you outbid me on Lisey's Story again :P

I will look into that book.
Also, you've been outbid. :P

bluelph24
01-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Lolita - Nabokov

Ruthful
01-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Madame de Stael: The First Modern Woman, by Francine du Plessix Gray

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, by Haruki Murakami

Rimbaud: The Double Life of a Rebel, by Edmund White

Climate Confusion: How Global Warming Hysteria Leads to Bad Science, Pandering Politicians and Misguided Policies that Hurt the Poor, by Roy Spencer

Buzzard
01-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

William50
01-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Cell by SK.

Heather19
01-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Cell by SK.

Is this your first read thru, and how are you liking it?

John Blaze
01-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Cell by SK.

I'm sorry.

Daghain
01-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Beat me to it, JB. :lol:

Heather19
01-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Don't listen to them. :P
I thought it was a good read, and I hope you enjoy it.