PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

fernandito
06-12-2007, 09:19 AM
I still refuse to read Harry Potter even though I'd probably like it...

I'm being stubborn.

We're on the same boat.

This boat's getting bigger. I've never read them either, and for shame, I have an 8 year-old. I have no clue why I haven't read them, I actually have the first two. They just sit there on the bookshelf, looking pretty.

My sister has the first two sitting on her shelf. Everytime I see them I get the urge to just pick them up off the shelf and start pounding my way through them, but my pride/stubborness keeps me from doing so.

Tvmorbid
06-12-2007, 09:24 AM
I would personally recommend reading them. I went for ages stubbornly refusing to read them because every man and his dog seemed to be doing so, but after I folded like the weak willed sap that I am, I was hooked after reading the first 10 pages or so :lol: They get alot better as they as they go on :)

sarah
06-13-2007, 10:44 AM
alright so i'm finally getting around to Lisey's Story. For some reason i'm having a really hard time staying focused when reading this book. Is it worth it for me to push on through?

sarajean
06-13-2007, 10:58 AM
i loved it. i thought it was the best non-dt thing he's written in a long time.

push on, you'll love it.

sarah
06-13-2007, 11:00 AM
thanks sarajean. I will for my fathers sake i will! :lol: :P

kithereal
06-13-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm dying to get to Heart-Shaped box and the new Chuck Palahniuk book. I'll probably go buy both sometime next weekend.

really loved "heart shaped Box"....It was really good, couldn't put it down
Kit

fernandito
06-13-2007, 12:24 PM
alright so i'm finally getting around to Lisey's Story. For some reason i'm having a really hard time staying focused when reading this book. Is it worth it for me to push on through?

I've been having the same problem with my current read lately [Gates of Fire]. I plowed through the first 200 pages, but these past 60 pages have gone through at a snails' pace, I always end up getting distracted by something.

Ruthful
06-13-2007, 02:44 PM
http://www.powells.com/biblio?isbn=9780061195396

http://www.apublicbetrayed.com/

Darkthoughts
06-14-2007, 01:37 AM
Maerlyn - just to echo SJ, do persevere with Lisey's Story - I thought it was fanatastic, reminiscent of The Talisman...you might see what I mean as you get further into it.

I'm currently reading Everything's Eventual. I read Little Sisters of Eluria first, then I started from the beginning and have so far read Autopsy Room Four and The Man in the Black Suit.

funky dredd
06-14-2007, 05:05 AM
Blaze (of course) and am really liking it.

Patrick
06-15-2007, 03:25 PM
I finished CHOKE by Chuck Palahniuk. I liked it but I liked SURVIVOR better - until I read the "story behind the story" at the end of CHOKE, that was really touching.

Now reading McSWEENY'S MAMMOTH TREASURY OF THRILLING TALES, edited by Michael Chabon. Great short stories.

She-Oy
06-15-2007, 08:23 PM
I went a little nuts in the bookstore tonight. I bought Blaze, Heart-Shaped Box and a collection of stories by HP Lovecraft (never read him). I figured I would ship Blaze to Will as a surprise, so I am trying to plow through really quickly before 5pm tomorrow when it goes in the box...so I really should be reading and not on this here damn internet!

Darkthoughts
06-16-2007, 07:46 AM
I was going to buy heart shaped box today, but didn't in favour of actually buying a father's day gift with my money :P Let me know if you'd recommend it though!

fernandito
06-16-2007, 07:48 AM
I've only heard good things about Heart Shaped Box.

Darkthoughts
06-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks FP - me too...although I can't remember where or from who :D Neil Gaiman wrote the intro though, so its gotta be pretty hot.

She-Oy
06-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Ok so I started Blaze last night. I'm about 120 pages into it. I'm supposed to be shipping it to my husband 3000 miles away in about 2 hours. No way I can finish it. So should I send him the Heart-Shaped Box instead and just keep bLAZE FOR myself until I finish it? Which is better? I'm pretty invested in Blaze right now, but I know if I ship HSB, I'll never read it. Crap, crap.

She-Oy
06-21-2007, 08:30 AM
I still refuse to read Harry Potter even though I'd probably like it...

I'm being stubborn.

We're on the same boat.

This boat's getting bigger. I've never read them either, and for shame, I have an 8 year-old. I have no clue why I haven't read them, I actually have the first two. They just sit there on the bookshelf, looking pretty.

My sister has the first two sitting on her shelf. Everytime I see them I get the urge to just pick them up off the shelf and start pounding my way through them, but my pride/stubborness keeps me from doing so.

Apparently I'm really not supposed to read Harry Potter. Last night I decided to finally break down and read the first book outloud to Drew. He was excited (although he informed me that it wouldn't be AS exciting because he had already seen the movies), but regardless, we were going to start on this literary journey together. I had the bags packed and ready to go. I go to the bookshelf to grab it, and IT'S GONE! DISAPPEARED! VANISHED! I checked Drew's room, wasn't there, checked my room and a box of books that we've already packed up....GONE GONE GONE.

I wonder if it's a sign...LOL

fernandito
06-21-2007, 08:51 AM
:lol:

I finally got to finish Gates of Fire (Thanks JB!) and am pondering whether to read Fever's Dream or give in and starting the HP series; and if hipocrosy has anything to say about it it will most likely be the latter :P

sarajean
06-21-2007, 12:09 PM

I finally got to finish Gates of Fire (Thanks JB!) and am pondering whether to read Fever's Dream or give in and starting the HP series; and if hipocrosy has anything to say about it it will most likely be the latter :P
*shakes fist*

you will if you know what's good for you.

i finished the invaders plan and am currently reading volume 2, black genesis.

Patrick
06-21-2007, 01:09 PM
I finished McSWEENEY'S MAMMOTH TREASURY OF THRILLING TALES. There are some excellent stories in that book.

I've now started DREAMCATCHER - another on the long list of King books that I have not yet read.

Mordred Deschain
06-21-2007, 01:12 PM
I am currently reading the Dark Tower (well re-reading and I got about 200 pages to go). But after, the next Dune book (Sandworms of Dune, by Brian Herbert), then the final Harry Potter book, and then the latest Tolkien (Children of Huron).

Erin
06-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Patrick, although a lot of people don't like it, I loved Dreamcatcher, I even named two of my cats after characters from it.

I'm currently reading Lisey's Story. I hate to say it, but I'm having a really hard time getting into it. It just hasn't grabbed me yet like most all of King's other books do. I'm going to finish it, but I hate to say it, if it had been any other author besides King, I'd have set it aside by now. For those of you who have read it, does it just have a slow start and get better or am I just nuts?

tamez
06-25-2007, 12:14 AM
i had a hard time getting fully into it as well Erin
but, in the end i liked it...
i can't say you'd have the same experience but
there are some neat things that develop.

Erin
06-25-2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks Tamez. It is starting to get a bit more interesting now with the threatning call Lisey got from "Zack McCool".

MonteGss
06-25-2007, 03:09 AM
Everythings Eventual

currently on Little Sisters

It's my first time reading this one. :)

fernandito
06-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Everythings Eventual

It's my first time reading this one. :)

I need to pick up a copy of that too.

Hannah
06-25-2007, 08:57 AM
I just started Black House. The beginning was rough... Peter Straub is not as readable as King... but whatever.

Matt
06-25-2007, 11:14 AM
That is rough, I had to listen to get through it.

And yes Erin...Lisey's Story gets a little better but I am almost done and I must say, so far its not on my top 10 for sure.

Mordred Deschain
06-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Patrick, although a lot of people don't like it, I loved Dreamcatcher, I even named two of my cats after characters from it.

I'm currently reading Lisey's Story. I hate to say it, but I'm having a really hard time getting into it. It just hasn't grabbed me yet like most all of King's other books do. I'm going to finish it, but I hate to say it, if it had been any other author besides King, I'd have set it aside by now. For those of you who have read it, does it just have a slow start and get better or am I just nuts?

I read Lisey's Story in a collection of short stories. Husbands a famous writer right?

Brice
06-25-2007, 03:53 PM

I read Lisey's Story in a collection of short stories. Husbands a famous writer right?

Yes, there was a short story in a collection that was an excerpt from Lisey's Story before it was released.

Mordred Deschain
06-25-2007, 03:57 PM

Yes, there was a short story in a collection that was an excerpt from Lisey's Story before it was released.

Ah...so I probably haven't read the whole story then. Well, what I read was good.

Brice
06-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Yes, it was. It was just an excerpt of the finished novel though. I liked it alot. :)

Patrick
06-26-2007, 03:21 PM

I'm about a third (maybe less) of the way through DREAMCATCHER, and I like the book so far - although there is one event that just does not ring true IMO no matter how much I try to justify it to myself. I hate when a major character does something pivotal that I flat-out can't believe. It pulls me out of the story in a big way and I almost have to force myself not to abandon the book, which is really disappointing when I've been enjoying the book thus far.

Regarding LISEY'S STORY, I agree that it starts out rather slow, but I felt it gets better the further you read.

MonteGss
06-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Everythings Eventual
:)

Jean
06-26-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm about a third (maybe less) of the way through DREAMCATCHER, and I like the book so far - although there is one event that just does not ring true IMO no matter how much I try to justify it to myself. I hate when a major character does something pivotal that I flat-out can't believe. It pulls me out of the story in a big way and I almost have to force myself not to abandon the book, which is really disappointing when I've been enjoying the book thus far.
Now you have intrigued me! What is the infamous event?

(Personally, I thought Dreamcatcher, like The Talisman, rapidly went downhill closer to the end, but the first two thirds or maybe even four fifths were pretty much ok)

towerguard
06-27-2007, 04:24 AM
I just started Black House. The beginning was rough... Peter Straub is not as readable as King... but whatever.
Yeah the start of that one is rough, though I don't blame Straub for it so much, I remember how unbareablely boring IT and The Stand started out.

What has King written since Cell? I stopped reading him after that, Cell was just too terrible, well it was good until the last 5 pages, and the rest of it just can't make up for it. It was a very predictable disapointing SK ending.

fernandito
06-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Cell just bored me from start to finish.

She-Oy
06-27-2007, 09:27 AM
I didn't make it 40 pages into the Cell.

I'm reading a southern chick lit book at the moment, Between Georgia. I needed a little break from bleak, depressing books.

Patrick
06-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Now you have intrigued me! What is the infamous event?

(Personally, I thought Dreamcatcher, like The Talisman, rapidly went downhill closer to the end, but the first two thirds or maybe even four fifths were pretty much ok)

DREAMCATCHER, Part I, SPOILER:
When Beav actually grabs at one of the toothpicks on the "clean area" of an otherwise completely nasty (strange guy's blood, alien fungus, etc.) bathroom floor. I simply don't believe anyone would have made that move given those unsanitary conditions - much less with the risk of something trying to escape from the toilet he's keeping closed.
I was highly disappointed that SK didn't come up with something more plausible.

Jean
06-27-2007, 11:43 AM
oh yes. Oh yes. I think I kinda - what is the Freudian term - suppressed it? I kinda tend to forget that every time I think about Dreamcatcher (though how one really forget such a thing?)

Frunobulax
06-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Lisey's Story. . .slowly.
Thus Spoke Zarathustra for what must be the 3rd or 4th time now.

kithereal
06-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Currently reading Everything's Eventual

XIX

I am too......I really liked everything is eventual....I am saving Little sisters for last........
KIT

Tvmorbid
06-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Currently reading The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett

Brice
06-28-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm currently rereading W&G, The Gunslinger and reading a few Harlan Ellison books.

Darkthoughts
06-29-2007, 02:04 AM
Rereading The Wastelands and really having to revise my favourite DT book - I'd forgotten exactly how great these stories were.

I loved Lisey's Story, but I seem to like the ones that everyone else finds a bit slow going...for instance Insomnia...I've heard various people say it was too slow but I loved that too.

Matt
06-29-2007, 11:06 AM
I am so close to finishing Liseys Story...maybe tonight.

Erin
06-29-2007, 08:45 PM
, but I seem to like the ones that everyone else finds a bit slow going...for instance Insomnia...I've heard various people say it was too slow but I loved that too.

I loved Insomnia! It was so great! And Lisey's Story is getting much much better for me now.

Mordred Deschain
06-30-2007, 07:09 AM
I'm currently reading the Weekly World News, something about babies living on the Titanic...

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/pherf/063007_11011.jpg

alinda
06-30-2007, 12:47 PM
only this thread , Im at work....no I am kidding I am on a reread of DT,
currently on book 5 WoTC!

Nerak
06-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Eldest

She-Oy
06-30-2007, 05:26 PM
A Confederacy of Dunces. I can't believe I've waited so long to read this. It's terrific!

Brice
06-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Yes, that is a fantastic novel. I've read it a few times.

Fall of Gilead
07-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Started Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child while on vacation and I love it.

sarajean
07-03-2007, 04:56 PM
i just finished a long way down by nick hornby. it was really good. kind of like a suicidal british breakfast club.

OchrisO
07-05-2007, 02:02 AM
I tried reading A Confederacy of Dunces once and couldn't really get into it. I am reading Imajica by Clive Barker at the moment after having just finished A Clash of Kings by George R R Martin.

fernandito
07-05-2007, 09:26 AM
I am reading Imajica by Clive Barker at the moment

You're going to love that series.

Fall of Gilead
07-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Finished Cabinet of Curiosites on Monday and started Still Life With Crows by the same authors.

sarajean
07-05-2007, 04:22 PM

it was a series? huh. i guess i never knew that.

She-Oy
07-06-2007, 07:52 AM
i just finished a long way down by nick hornby. it was really good. kind of like a suicidal british breakfast club.

Have you read "How To Be Good" by him? It was good too.

Alright friends, well here's the biggie. I broke down...I found that damn Harry Potter book and I started it last night. I couldn't put it down. I'm over half-way finished already. Wonder how long it will take to read the whole series? I can't believe after 10 years, weeks before the last of the series I break. LOL

Jean
07-06-2007, 08:21 AM
I found that damn Harry Potter book and I started it last night. I couldn't put it down.
::happybear dance::

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

fernandito
07-06-2007, 08:51 AM

it was a series? huh. i guess i never knew that.

Well, it's not really a series-series, it's only two books long, but Barker wrote it in such a grand scale that you'll hardly notice.

Fall of Gilead
07-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Imajica was originally a single book....at least my copy is... :unsure:

Frunobulax
07-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Probably an omnibus edition.

OchrisO
07-07-2007, 12:33 PM
To my knowlegde, it was originally one book. The copy I have is one bok as well, but:

Imajica is a fantasy novel by British author Clive Barker. Barker names it as his favorite of all his writings. The work, 825 pages at its first printing in 1991, chronicles the events surrounding the reconciliation of Earth, called the Fifth Dominion, with the other four Dominions, parallel worlds unknown to all but a select few of Earth's inhabitants.

Brice
07-07-2007, 01:42 PM
I think where the confusion might be is the original version of Imagica was one HC book and it was released as a paperback. Later on (years later I believe) it was being reissued as a paperback and some capitalist asshole had the ingenious idea of splitting it into multiple paperbacks. If you buy it in paperback now I believe it is Imagica Book One: Dominion and Imagica Book Two: Revelations, or something like that. There was never a sequel all though I believe there were plans for a sequel at one time as there are plans for a third book of the art (The Great And Secret Show, Everville).

Mordred Deschain
07-07-2007, 07:26 PM
The Story of B by Daniel Quin

OchrisO
07-08-2007, 12:06 AM

Ishmael is one of my favorite books, and I love Daniel Quinn because he makes me think and look at things in a new light. I have never made it all the way through The Story of B, though. This is mainly because of having to flip back and forth from the story to B's speeches really gets on my nerves.

sarajean
07-08-2007, 08:31 AM
I think where the confusion might be is the original version of Imagica was one HC book and it was released as a paperback. Later on (years later I believe) it was being reissued as a paperback and some capitalist asshole had the ingenious idea of splitting it into multiple paperbacks. If you buy it in paperback now I believe it is Imagica Book One: Dominion and Imagica Book Two: Revelations, or something like that. There was never a sequel all though I believe there were plans for a sequel at one time as there are plans for a third book of the art (The Great And Secret Show, Everville).

that is ridiculous and idiotic.

slightly off topic, but i have been waiting for the thief of always movie for, like, 12 years.

OchrisO
07-08-2007, 01:17 PM

that is ridiculous and idiotic.

slightly off topic, but i have been waiting for the thief of always movie for, like, 12 years.

Seriously. If they ever make a movie of that, I may very well burst from joy.

sarajean
07-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Seriously. If they ever make a movie of that, I may very well burst from joy.

i just remember this guy aaron telling me that he had heard they were making a movie when i was 16. that was 12 years ago.

Tvmorbid
07-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Currently reading Orcslayer by Nathan Long, part 8 of an ongoing series :)

sarajean
07-08-2007, 01:40 PM
reading the book of lost things by john connolly. it's excellent.

sarah
07-08-2007, 05:24 PM
just listened to Sacket by Louis Lamour. Classic western filled with cliche's (sp?)

it was a good fun listen on our longassdrive.

Mordred Deschain
07-08-2007, 06:03 PM

Ishmael is one of my favorite books, and I love Daniel Quinn because he makes me think and look at things in a new light. I have never made it all the way through The Story of B, though. This is mainly because of having to flip back and forth from the story to B's speeches really gets on my nerves.

I know what you mean, Ishmael made me think. This is my second attempt at the Story of B. For Christmas, I was given several other Daniel Quinn books. I also had a bumper sticker that said "Friend of Ishmael".

Erin
07-08-2007, 09:02 PM
I currently reading Chuck Palahniuk's newest book, Rant: An Oral Histroy of Buster Casey. So far it is fan-freaking-tastic. I just love Chucky P.

fernandito
07-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Fevre Dream by George R.R Martin. I worship this book.

Erin
07-10-2007, 03:36 PM
You know, Jean Auel needs to hurry the heck up and finish writing the 6th Earth Children's book. I've had to wait 5 years so far to find out what happens to Jondalar and Ayla. :(

ManOfWesternesse
07-11-2007, 01:45 AM
You know, Jean Auel needs to hurry the heck up and finish writing the 6th Earth Children's book. I've had to wait 5 years so far to find out what happens to Jondalar and Ayla. :(

Agreed Erin, it's been a long wait between books in the EC series, but the current gap is the biggest I think. Wonder if she'll go on beyond a 6th book?

sarajean
07-11-2007, 08:36 AM
caveman smut?

i'm hoping there are more, as well. :hide:

ManOfWesternesse
07-12-2007, 12:34 AM
caveman smut?

i'm hoping there are more, as well. :hide:

Yeah!:unsure:
Actually she had a really great series of books that would have survived hansomely without all that, imho. It's well enough that Ayla and Jondalar had to 'discover' Horse & Dog domestication, creating fire from pyrites, spear-throwers, split-shaft spears etc.... etc... - did they really have to 'invent' the 69 as well??:blush:

But it's still a great series!

Matt
07-12-2007, 06:20 AM

Not only that but the needle, puppies and feminine products!!

I loved them as well but I thought the gap between Plains of Passage and Shelters of Stone was much longer than the one we are in now. I can't believe Shelters was 600 pages or whatever and she still didn't have that baby.

Personally, I am hoping the series ends with the two babies (this one and Derk from the first book) battling it out for the future of humanity. I do love those books though.

Finished Lisey's Story and now I am listening to the HBP (finally).

sarajean
07-12-2007, 09:22 AM
it is about damn time.

Patrick
07-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Now reading INVISIBLE MONSTERS by Chuck Palahniuk.

sarajean
07-15-2007, 07:39 AM
more than three quarters of the way through half-blood prince (for the fifth time). i'm hoping i have enough time to re-read order of the phoenix by friday night.

Matt
07-16-2007, 04:02 PM
about half way through my first time with the Half-Blood Prince :rock:

sarajean
07-16-2007, 04:03 PM
and?

Matt
07-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Oh man SJ, I am really loving it.

Its so hard for me to believe I could have a week of enjoying books and movies again because its been a while :lol:

She-Oy
07-17-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm on HP book 3. The series sorta sucks you in doesn't it?

Matt
07-17-2007, 08:02 AM
They really do...

so what do you think so far Heather?

She-Oy
07-17-2007, 08:05 AM
I feel like a kid again. The books are so much fun. As I have said before, I haven't seen the movies either so everything is a surprise to me. I can't even read stuff on CNN or EW about the new book or movie because they always give away little spoilers about the previous books and I can't stand it...LOL.

Even some people in the office were talking about them and I had to excuse myself to step outside. Apparently I'll go to great lengths to keep everything a surprise.

sarajean
07-17-2007, 10:48 AM

i just spoiled myself...on purpose.

and it was wonderful.

i think it's cool for the people who are just getting into it, but you don't get the years of speculation, either.

(book 3 is tied for 6 with my favourite, heather.)

Frunobulax
07-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Well, finally finished my 4th read of Zarathustra today. I might arrange some of the songs from the last part for SATB choir.

Patrick
07-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Finished INVISIBLE MONSTERS.

Now reading THE MEMORY OF RUNNING by Ron McLarty.

Mordred Deschain
07-18-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm reading "Arthur's Britain" by Leslie Alcook. It's an account of all known facts that tries to prove King Arthur was really alive and what time period he lived in. The only thing that sucks is the copy write is 1987 and it would be nice to know any recent facts. But it's pretty cool, looks at all known written text that mentions Arthur.

sarajean
07-18-2007, 03:37 PM
currently re-reading the salmon of doubt by douglas adams. reading it makes me sad, cos i miss him so much. my husband met him at the faire a few years before he died. said he was the *nicest* guy.

i'm jealous.

Erin
07-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Well, finally finished my 4th read of Zarathustra today. I might arrange some of the songs from the last part for SATB choir.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/MidWorldGirl/2004061104344121962_rs.jpg

I'm reading World War Z and a book a friend gave me called The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay. It's the first book of the Fionavar Tapestry.

Frunobulax
07-19-2007, 09:31 PM

Mordred Deschain
07-21-2007, 05:27 AM
Well hopefully in a few hours I'll be reading the Harry Potter book.

Matt
07-21-2007, 11:27 AM
There is a copy in my house right now but I'm third in line. :lol:

Mordred Deschain
07-21-2007, 12:23 PM
LOL...ya I had to by two copies. Don't think I can wait that long...

fernandito
07-21-2007, 01:09 PM
I'll be finishing up Fevre's Dream in a few minutes, and then hopefully I can start on the first Harry Potter book. :)

Nerak
07-21-2007, 03:21 PM
the thought for today in this thread would be What AREN'T you reading besides Harry Potter!! :lol:

Mordred Deschain
07-21-2007, 03:24 PM
This forum....LOL

sarajean
07-22-2007, 09:25 AM
i'm REreading the deathly hallows.

Patrick
07-23-2007, 08:18 PM
the thought for today in this thread would be What AREN'T you reading besides Harry Potter!! :lol:

Still on THE MEMORY OF RUNNING by Ron McLarty

Daghain
07-23-2007, 08:41 PM
I will not read Harry Potter until it comes out in paperback. Probably over a year from now. I have a matched set and will wait for #7. I already have a vague idea what happened, and I still don't care. I'll read it anyway.

Yeah, I'm cheap like that. :)

BTW, Bev Vincent's book is turning out to be pretty good. I recommend it.

OchrisO
07-23-2007, 11:15 PM
His Dark Materials book 1 The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. I am really enjoying it so far.

Frunobulax
07-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Finished HP7 on Sunday, starting re-reading Catch-22 last night.

fernandito
07-24-2007, 12:05 PM
His Dark Materials book 1 The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. I am really enjoying it so far.

They're making a movie and a video game out of this series (?). I think Nicole Kidman is set to star in the former.

Fall of Gilead
07-24-2007, 01:51 PM
The trailer for that looks totally awesome!

Mordred Deschain
07-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Still reading Harry Potter

sarajean
07-24-2007, 03:33 PM
what part are you at?

Mordred Deschain
07-25-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't know how to do the spoiler thing so I'll tell you what page, should be the same, if you have the US version.
Pg 350 chapter title: Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore

Matt
07-26-2007, 04:32 AM
The spoiler thing is as easy as

1. Going into full reply and using the tag button in the tool bar.

2. Using quick reply and putting [*spoiler]spoiler text[/spoiler*] around the spoiling text.

Without the asterisks of course. :D

Mordred Deschain
07-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks!! been wondering how to do that...

OH Snap!

Heh...didn't read about the asterick part! I say thankie-sai!

Cutter
07-27-2007, 05:33 AM
Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore
The Fantasy Writer's Assistant by Jeffrey Ford

Jean
07-27-2007, 05:41 AM
and I am at last reading HP7!!!!!!!! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

She-Oy
07-27-2007, 07:01 AM
I'm half way through with HP4. Had to put it down the last couple of days and pack.

Darkthoughts
07-28-2007, 01:26 AM
I'm reading A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon (author of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time). Its very good so far. About a retired man who's slowly going mad - Haddon's previous book was about a boy with autism, and the way he writes about mental health is very realistic (rather than going with a more surreal pov) but his style and his observations of people are excellent.

Matt
07-28-2007, 06:07 AM
I have Blaze going at home right now. Anxiously awaiting HP7 on CD when my daughter is done with it.

Mordred Deschain
07-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Still reading Deathly Hollows. Had to get some crap done. Normally I would have zipped through this book in a day.

fernandito
07-28-2007, 12:41 PM
I have Blaze going at home right now.

Any good?

ZoNeSeeK
07-30-2007, 12:09 AM
Reading deathly hallows, havent been able to get through much of it yet due to work and stuff

She-Oy
07-30-2007, 08:09 AM
I have Blaze going at home right now.

Any good?

I thought so. It's a breeze to read and fun, er sort of.

sarajean
07-30-2007, 08:52 AM
i just read some of darkthoughts' fanfic. *fans self*

Frunobulax
07-31-2007, 11:57 PM
2/3+ done with Lisey's Story.
Slightly more than 1/2 done with Indecision by Benjamin Kunkel.
On section 6 of The Birth Of Tragedy.

BlakeMP
08-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair

MonteGss
08-01-2007, 09:09 AM
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Mordred Deschain
08-01-2007, 09:14 AM
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Awesome!! I know that the movies, The Shining and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest are not totally like the books, but everytime I read either, Jack Nicholson is always in my head.

MonteGss
08-01-2007, 09:15 AM
I saw the movie (cuckoo's) a long time ago but I must admit, even though Jack DOES NOT look like the description of McMurphy, I still am thinking about Jack. :)

Mordred Deschain
08-01-2007, 09:18 AM
And that's why on one of the other threads about books vs movies, I say only if the physical looks really matter to the story, I don't think it's a big whoop. I'm more on the personality of the characters than the way they look. Except, if someone is supposed to be so darn beautiful or so darn ugly, then it matters. Sorry, I'll save the rest of this for the other thread.

MonteGss
08-01-2007, 09:20 AM
I know man, I read that post of yours. That's why I said it, to razz ya. :P ;)

Mordred Deschain
08-01-2007, 09:33 AM
damn I'm gullible

BlakeMP
08-01-2007, 09:35 AM
I was in the play of Cuckoo's Nest back in college, but I've never read the book.

Erin
08-07-2007, 07:39 PM
I'm almost done with The Fellowship of the Ring. I've never read The Lord of the Rings before and I am absolutely in love with the book so far. It's fantastic. I can't believe all the stuff left out/changed in the movies either. You'd think with how long those things were they would have gotten more in. :lol:

MonteGss
08-07-2007, 08:09 PM
I currently reading some shitty-ass fantasy book called Excalibur by Sanders Anne Laubenthal. Not impressed. Good thing it's short and I'll be reading something else soon.

Daghain
08-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm embarassed to admit I'm STILL reading Bev Vincent's book. But damn, I keep finding good insight for the Wiki in there...

Never, EVER give me a "research" book LOL.

I did pick up the paperback of Lisey's Story, so if I ever get my act together that's the next one I'm going to read. :)

Darkthoughts
08-08-2007, 05:30 AM
i just read some of darkthoughts' fanfic. *fans self*
Heh heh heh :cool: I've never written anything of that romance/passion type genre before and it was good fun!

Ok, I had a bit of a book binge on holiday and read:
Salem's Lot (that was a reread)
Dolores Claibourne on Brice's recommendation and I absolutely LOVED it!! What was the other book it refers to (the young girl Dolores sees)?
My Dirty Little Book of Stolen Time - Liz Jensen really funny - a story of 19th century Danish-prostitutes-come-cleaning-ladies who end up becoming involved with time travel.
this book will save your life - A.M.Homes a book SK recommended on his official site a while back - I also HIGHLY recommend it, its absolutely brilliant and very readable.

and then finally I read The Rules of Life by Richard Templar. I'd read all my books and found this lurking in the back of a cupboard at the villa...its loosely a self help book, which I found very amusing as my mother-in-law (who's villa it is) is in dire need of all the help she can get :lol: But it wasn't the sort of fluffy bollocks I was expecting, it was more like the sort of advice your grandma would give you ("If you can't say anything nice...don't say anything at all") and I quite enjoyed reading it.

Jean
08-08-2007, 05:51 AM
Dolores Claibourne on Brice's recommendation and I absolutely LOVED it!! What was the other book it refers to (the young girl Dolores sees)?

Gerald's Game. I love Dolores more, but Gerald's Game is very, very good, too.

Darkthoughts
08-08-2007, 06:12 AM
Excellent - I'll buy that next...I've always heard bad things about Gerald's Game - never anything specific but no-one seems to rate it - but the link now has me curious!

kithereal
08-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Excellent - I'll buy that next...I've always heard bad things about Gerald's Game - never anything specific but no-one seems to rate it - but the link now has me curious!

I really liked Gerald Game...
I love books that bring you into a characters head,..and make you feel what the character feels....Like The Shining.. I read it when I was a kid
I felt the cabin fever and it was very uncomfortable.
Now..I relish stories that draw you in and make you feel even if the feeling is hard.

I just read Anansi Boys and Stardust..... Neil Gaimon is great....thanks guys!!!
I am reading Telegraph Days BY Larry McMurtry.

KIT

PedroPáramo
08-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Diablo Guardian by Xavier Velasco (on english it would be Guardian Devil)

fernandito
08-08-2007, 03:22 PM

De donde eres?

PedroPáramo
08-08-2007, 03:49 PM

De donde eres?

De México, pero la proxima vez mejor manda un pm. Lo contestare sin dudar.
We don't want spam ^^

fernandito
08-08-2007, 04:39 PM

De donde eres?

We don't want spam ^^

Has dicho.

What's Guardian Devil about?

PedroPáramo
08-08-2007, 06:22 PM

De donde eres?

We don't want spam ^^

Has dicho.

What's Guardian Devil about?
About a girl who stealts 120 000 dollars from her parents (who stole it from Cruza Roja) and runs away to New York, where she starts to live a fast, fast and fast live like a prostitute once she finishes the money. It won the alfaguara award of novel on 2003.

Darkthoughts
08-09-2007, 02:57 AM
I just read Anansi Boys and Stardust...
My signed hardback of Stardust arrived today :rock:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/ssign001.jpg
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/star001.jpg

sarajean
08-09-2007, 12:31 PM
:o

i'm SO jealous!

i read stardust to drake a few years ago. he loved it. i'm amazed he still remembers it, but now he's all stoked about the movie.

Darkthoughts
08-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Its up there with EotD as one of my favourite Faerytales.

fernandito
08-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Am I the only person who thinks that EoTD is slightly overrated?:unsure:

Darkthoughts
08-09-2007, 01:17 PM
hmmm...well...i guess its like a twisted reverse role rapunzel thing and thats why i dig it. Maybe you don't so much if you didn't spend alot of time pretending to be a princess when you were little...which is why i'm surprised you don't dig it too...:innocent:...:lol:

Jean
08-09-2007, 07:38 PM
No, you're not. It took me two months to wade through it. I picked it, and after five pages laid it down again, and started some entertaining book instead. I found it boring, pointless, and abounding in mistakes regarding both psychology of the characters and common logic.

Daghain
08-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Wow. I guess I'd better reread that one. It was a long time ago, but I remember it being a pretty good story. :scared:

fernandito
08-10-2007, 07:28 AM
No, you're not. It took me two months to wade through it. I picked it, and after five pages laid it down again, and started some entertaining book instead. I found it boring, pointless, and abounding in mistakes regarding both psychology of the characters and common logic.

Finally, someone else who shares my point of view. I too thought that the characters were boring, the story was frightfully uninteresting, and in all honesty, if

Peter (was that his name?) were to have died halfway through the book, I would shrugged and said "Oh, shit happens" [whistles]

Cutter
08-10-2007, 07:30 AM
William F. Nolan - Wild Galaxy

a collection of his sci-fi stuff. It's pretty good so far.

sarajean
08-10-2007, 01:32 PM
i read eyes of the dragon as a children's book. as such, i think it wildly successful.

Mordred Deschain
08-10-2007, 07:41 PM
atfer reading the Deathly Hollows I am currently reading this thread.

sarajean
08-10-2007, 08:11 PM
atfer after reading the Deathly Hollows Hallows I am currently reading this thread.

fixed that for you. :D

did you find anything you're interested in picking up?

Jean
08-10-2007, 09:57 PM
i read eyes of the dragon as a children's book. as such, i think it wildly successful.
I love children's books, and read lots of them. I've always thought, though, that books for kids must be at least as true to psychology and logic as books for adults, - more so if possible; let alone that characters must be really appealing to kids' hearts, and in this particular case I can't but agree with what feverish said in the spoiler part of his last post.

MonteGss
08-11-2007, 03:41 AM
Speaking of children's books. I'm currently reading Charlotte's Web. The last time I read tha one I was a child. So far, it is as good as I remember. :)

I actually gave up on my previous book as it is HORRIBLE.

Jean
08-11-2007, 04:16 AM
1. Speaking of children's books. I'm currently reading Charlotte's Web. The last time I read tha one I was a child. So far, it is as good as I remember. :)

2. I actually gave up on my previous book as it is HORRIBLE.

1. I like it, too! It was one of the first books I ever read in English.

2. What was it? ::bearcurious::

Darkthoughts
08-11-2007, 05:19 AM
I'm trying to read Shardick again...couldn't get into it first time around, but that was quite a few years ago so it may be different this time.

FP and Jean - didn't you even like Flagg in EotD?

Jean
08-11-2007, 05:49 AM
No. Making such childish mistakes in everything he did, he was - I don't know how to say it in English, in Russian we say "an operetta villain" or a "cardboard villain".

Darkthoughts
08-11-2007, 05:57 AM
I guess I never really analyzed the story in that way. But now that you point it out, I would counter that in real life alot of psychopaths are actually very childish (mentally and emotionally) and that is often their downfall. Perhaps King intentionally wrote him that way?

Jean
08-11-2007, 06:15 AM
I somehow doubt it. The Flagg of EotD - someone one could defeat with one's right hand tied behind his back - just isn't like the Flagg of the Stand or TDT. All his successes were due only to others' being even more childish and poorer at common sense... they could not all be psychopaths, could they? especially not intentionally written as such...

Darkthoughts
08-11-2007, 06:18 AM
:lol: I love debating with you Jean, but I'm too hungover to think of a retort to that...I want to defend the story though...maybe tomorrow :D

Jean
08-11-2007, 06:19 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Darkthoughts
08-11-2007, 06:21 AM
:huglove: If you could bring me a cup of earl grey with that bear hug I just might be cured :D

Mordred Deschain
08-11-2007, 06:24 AM
atfer after reading the Deathly Hollows Hallows I am currently reading this thread.

fixed that for you. :D

did you find anything you're interested in picking up?

LOL...I was WAISTED last night and I had to kill another bat!!

I'm waiting for Sandworms of Dune.

Darkthoughts
08-11-2007, 06:28 AM
Ok, you have to spill - I get wasted and act like an ass, you get wasted and are...compelled to kill bats? :lol:

Mordred Deschain
08-11-2007, 06:34 AM
LOL

I'm moving soon but this house is like a home for stray bats. every other night a new one flies in and I deal with it. My nickname at the pub is now "the Bat Killer", they even made drink up for me. Last night I hit the bat so hard with my tennis racket the bat left a crack in the wall when it hit. I ain't playen games with these suckers anymore. I use to catch em and let em go, but no more. They enter this house, they become fair game for my backhand serve. :)

Darkthoughts
08-11-2007, 06:36 AM
I was secretly hoping for some Ozzy action :P

Mordred Deschain
08-11-2007, 06:38 AM
Wait, I'm getting more and more irritaited with each bat, I'm guessing by Tuesday, I'll be biting their heads off!!

Darkthoughts
08-11-2007, 06:45 AM

OchrisO
08-11-2007, 12:33 PM
LOL

I'm moving soon but this house is like a home for stray bats. every other night a new one flies in and I deal with it. My nickname at the pub is now "the Bat Killer", they even made drink up for me. Last night I hit the bat so hard with my tennis racket the bat left a crack in the wall when it hit. I ain't playen games with these suckers anymore. I use to catch em and let em go, but no more. They enter this house, they become fair game for my backhand serve. :)

Poor bats. :(

I love bats. They used to get in the house we lived in when I was a kid all the time.

Daghain
08-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Bats are great. They eat mosquitoes. :)

MonteGss
08-11-2007, 03:15 PM
1. Speaking of children's books. I'm currently reading Charlotte's Web. The last time I read tha one I was a child. So far, it is as good as I remember. :)

2. I actually gave up on my previous book as it is HORRIBLE.

1. I like it, too! It was one of the first books I ever read in English.

2. What was it? ::bearcurious::

Jean, it was a book called Excalibur. I mentioned it on the previous page, I believe. My wife bought it for like a dime in a thrift store a few years back. I picked it off the bookcase and read good reviews about it online. It didn't live up to any hype. Not good fantasy, imo. :(

fernandito
08-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Ok, you have to spill - I get wasted and act like an ass, you get wasted and are...compelled to kill bats? :lol:

I'm pretty wasted right now, and i'm kind of in the mood for singing Pepe Aguilar read loud....tht andt a bit of the old ultra-violence :P

Darkthoughts
08-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Am I a dying breed of passive drunk? :lol:

sarajean
08-12-2007, 01:24 PM
jean, have you read the master and margarita by mikhail bulgakov?

i'm quite interested in reading it, and am trying to find a copy. everything i've heard, though, is that the english translations are poor. this disappoints me, since i don't speak russian.

anyway...have you read it? if so, is it worth my time?

:eta: currently reading a nameless witch, by a. lee martinez. i just finished his gil's all fright diner, which was amusing.

Ruthful
08-12-2007, 02:36 PM
http://www.encounterbooks.com/books/mexicanmafia/

MonteGss
08-12-2007, 04:33 PM
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King
This is the first time I am reading this one.

19thNrvsbrkdwn
08-12-2007, 07:16 PM
I am about 100 pages from the end of HPtDH. My daughter buys the HP books reads em first then gives them to me as I did with her with the DT series.

Before that was a non-fiction,"The Devil in Connecticut", very bizarre!

Jean
08-12-2007, 08:03 PM
jean, have you read the master and margarita by mikhail bulgakov?

i'm quite interested in reading it, and am trying to find a copy. everything i've heard, though, is that the english translations are poor. this disappoints me, since i don't speak russian.

anyway...have you read it? if so, is it worth my time?

I read it maybe twenty times. You see, it was one of those books in Soviet Russia: not quite forbidden, but not quite recommended; almost never published, thus a rarity; frowned at by authorities and dealing with religion and mystic and philosophy, thus a must for any "thinking person", so very unorthodox... not having read M&M was the same as farting in public; anybody who claimed to have any brain had to read it, or better know it by heart. It is hardly possible to explain what books were to us... I might post some memoirs in Turtleback one day to make it clearer.

In short, when I first read it at the age of ten, it was great, amazing, terrific; and continued to be so till I was about 25. Then the philosophical/religious part suddenly started sounding shallow, and all that remained were things that I am afraid are hardly possible to translate - the satiric part, the language and the humor. I still appreciate them, but I am afraid they will be lost in translation (sorry for evoking the best soporific movie of late)

Matt
08-13-2007, 06:08 AM
I am focusing on Blaze now. :D

Mike Beck
08-13-2007, 07:59 AM
I had no idea Gaiman wrote that! I'll have to check it out.

I started reading the Nightwatch Trilogy. It's already much better than the movie (more understandable, too). the movie was pretty cool, though. Russian horror vampire action coolness. :)

fernandito
08-13-2007, 08:47 AM
I want to read the nightwatch books too. The second movie is due sometime next year... daywatch?

Daghain
08-13-2007, 09:03 AM
The movie was cool. I may have to go read the book now.

Jean
08-13-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm glad you all liked it. I am personally acquainted with the director, through a student of mine who used to work with him; I'll tell him his movie is liked by the best minds all around the globe.

Darkthoughts
08-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Jean, I thought of you today as I picked up a really lovely illustrated copy of The Three Musketeers :thumbsup:

Just finished rereading Stardust and will now probably embark on a reread of Deathly Hallows (now my Dad's returned it that is!! :D )

After that I'll be reading The Colorado Kid and then Heart Shaped Box.

sarajean
08-13-2007, 12:41 PM
i finished a nameless witch last night, and am back to re-reading all of the harry potter books. currently on goblet of fire.

Jean
08-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Jean, I thought of you today as I picked up a really lovely illustrated copy of The Three Musketeers :thumbsup:

::happy flattered bear:: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif

Daghain
08-13-2007, 10:30 PM
DBF has a REALLY nice illustrated Arabian Nights. Remind me to tell you about the bathroom remodel and why certain salespeople never make any $$$ lol.

Darkthoughts
08-14-2007, 02:41 AM
DBF has a REALLY nice illustrated Arabian Nights.
I'd love to see that! Who illustrated it? I have an illustrated Mabinogion, Alan Lee, who did the illustrated Hobbit and LotR did it - its pretty stunning.

Daghain
08-14-2007, 06:40 AM
I don't know - I'll have to see if I can find out which of his many bookshelves it's on. :lol:

kithereal
08-14-2007, 09:01 AM
I am reading Monster by Frank Perretti
it is scary

( I just read Telegraph days BY Larry Mcmurtry.... It is the only book of his I have read so far....I did not like it ....would this be unusual for a McMurtrey book ?....I have heard many glowing things about him......)kit

Erin
08-14-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm very disappointed in my public library. I went searching for several Neil Gaiman books, The Postman, several Philip K Dick books and some L. Ron Hubbard but they didn't have any of them! So basically my public library has a horrible fantasy/sci-fi section. :(

OchrisO
08-14-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm very disappointed in my public library. I went searching for several Neil Gaiman books, The Postman, several Philip K Dick books and some L. Ron Hubbard but they didn't have any of them! So basically my public library has a horrible fantasy/sci-fi section. :(

What Neil Gaiman books? You know my apartment is just at the other end of the building, right? :P

Also,did you check the library on Campus? They have a lot of that stuff I'd imagine.

BlakeMP
08-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Closing in on the end of The Eyre Affair. Teaching leeches away all my reading time. Stupid students.

Erin
08-14-2007, 03:01 PM

What Neil Gaiman books? You know my apartment is just at the other end of the building, right? :P

Also,did you check the library on Campus? They have a lot of that stuff I'd imagine.

I wanted to go to campus where they have a lot more, but they closed at 4:30. Boo. I want to read Stardust again. Do you have it?

OchrisO
08-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Yep. You can borrow it if you want. It may take me a few minutes to find it, but I think I have an idea where it is.

I'm at work now, but I will be home around 10pm

Daghain
08-14-2007, 08:16 PM
It's all those lovely English papers you have to read. Kills the fun. :lol:

Cutter
08-15-2007, 06:59 AM
Brian Keene - Ghoul

I'm about a hundred pages in, and it's been pretty slow so far. We'll see, though...

PedroPáramo
08-17-2007, 03:03 PM
The New life, by Orhan Pamuk.

"One day I read a book, and all my life changed."
What a strange book!

Daghain
08-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Just started Lisey's Story. Not far enough in yet to form an opinion.

MonteGss
08-18-2007, 06:55 PM
I finished Breakfast at Tiffany's this afternoon. I am now 70 pages into The Godfather. I like both. :)

Patrick
08-19-2007, 12:11 AM
I finished Dante's THE INFERNO yesterday. Loved the poetry of it.

Tomorrow I'll start in on the second part of Dante's Divine Comedy trilogy: PURGATORY.

sarajean
08-19-2007, 10:34 AM
continuing on with my re-read of the entire harry potter series, i'm currently reading OOtP.

i picked up a game of thrones this weekend, since so many people have recommended it. i plan on starting it in a week, or so.

Frunobulax
08-19-2007, 10:59 PM
100 pages left in Lisey's. Halfway done with Breakfast Of Champions. Hoping to finish Birth of Tragedy tomorrow.
Patrick, I read The Divine Comedy every year--it's one of the best works ever, and one of my favourites.

Jean
08-20-2007, 12:25 AM
1. Patrick, I read The Divine Comedy every year--
2. it's one of the best works ever, and one of my favourites.
1. So do I.
2. Same here.

fernandito
08-20-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm taking a small break from Sci-Fi; currently reading Kingdom of Fear by Dr. Hunter S. Thompson. :)

funky dredd
08-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Lisey's Story (I think I might actually finish it this time).

MonteGss
08-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Huck Finn

sarah
08-21-2007, 10:39 AM
i picked up a game of thrones this weekend, since so many people have recommended it. i plan on starting it in a week, or so.

keep me posted on that and then give me the cliff notes. :lol:

I'm half way through Choke. I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. :(

Erin
08-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Choke was always my favorite Palahniuk book until I read Rant. That blew it away.

Don't you hate that though, when you are expecting to love a book and it doesn't meet your expectations?

OchrisO
08-21-2007, 05:33 PM
At this very moment I am reading "A Guide to Composition Pedagogies" :arg:

However, I did pick up a very interesting looking book called The Looking Glass Wars this weekend. It is a alternate version Alice in Wonderland story.

Erin
08-21-2007, 05:57 PM
I very soon will be reading Crime and Modernity. *gag*

OchrisO
08-21-2007, 06:03 PM
The next thing on my list is several selections from The Writing Teachers Sourcebook, followed by "Nature and the American Identity," "The Prairies," by William Cullen Bryant and "A Tour on the Prairies," by Washington Irving. That's all tonight's reading. WHEEEEEEEEE

Erin
08-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Phew. Screw an English major.

Daghain
08-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Oh yeah, I remember THOSE days. Argh.

OchrisO
08-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Phew. Screw an English major.

Well, I've tried to screw several, but i am always doing too much homework to put any real effort into it. :P

Well, that and I'm ugly as shit. haha.

Cutter
08-22-2007, 06:44 AM
Clark Ashton Smith - Red World of Polaris

Wuducynn
08-22-2007, 07:18 AM
Confessions of an Heiress by Paris Hilton http://www.hilary.com/reviews/images/paris-hilton.jpg

Just about the best book ever written.

MonteGss
08-22-2007, 07:18 AM
:rofl:

Darkthoughts
08-22-2007, 08:10 AM
:lol: I may have to slap you!

tamez
08-22-2007, 08:40 AM
that's kind of hot DT :orely:

i just started Justine by Lawrence Durrell

Matt
08-22-2007, 09:14 AM
It was hot! :lol:

I am reading Clive Cusllers "Dark Watch"

(listening)

Still Blaze at home but its hard to get to it.

Wuducynn
08-22-2007, 09:58 AM
*Ahem* That was AFTER reading issue 7 and The Guidebook riiiiiiiiiiiiight?? :rolleyes:

Matt
08-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Oh yeah man, those are long gone. :lol:

Wuducynn
08-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Damn! They sold that quick on eBay???

Matt
08-22-2007, 11:34 AM
hahahah

"long gone" in the annals of Matty stuff. But securely stashed away in the comic closet.

Mordred Deschain
08-22-2007, 04:32 PM
reading this shit...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/book.jpg

Patrick
08-23-2007, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=sarajean;29460]
I'm half way through Choke. I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. :(
Choke was always my favorite Palahniuk book until I read Rant. That blew it away.

Don't you hate that though, when you are expecting to love a book and it doesn't meet your expectations?
Although the books have a similar feel, personally I preferred SURVIVOR over CHOKE.

Wuducynn
08-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Have you read any of the Hilton literature though, Patrick?

Daghain
08-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Somehow I think the words Hilton and Literature should never, ever be used in a sentence. :lol:

sarah
08-23-2007, 03:24 PM
yeah, i put choke down about a week ago and since i wasn't in any rush to finish it i took it back to the library. meh. it'll be there if I ever want to finish it. I was on page 120 or something like that. I picked up haunted today but haven't started it yet. If I manage to get though that I'll pick up SURVIVOR.

Wuducynn
08-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Somehow I think the words Hilton and Literature should never, ever be used in a sentence.

Confessions of an Heiress by Paris Hilton http://www.hilary.com/reviews/images/paris-hilton.jpg

Just about the best book ever written.

Daghain
08-23-2007, 03:33 PM
I stand by my original statement. :lol:

sarah
08-23-2007, 03:35 PM
and I stand by you too, daghain.

btw, love the new avatar

Wuducynn
08-23-2007, 03:35 PM
So I take it you don't think she surpasses King as an author then?

Daghain
08-23-2007, 03:37 PM
I honestly think her dog is probably a better writer. :lol:

btw, love the new avatar

Thanks. I have to change my view of Roland from time to time. :lol:

Patrick
08-24-2007, 12:16 AM

Arthur Heath
08-24-2007, 11:48 AM
If anyone would like to read a Palahniuk-esque book pick up prolific graphic novel writer Warren Ellis' novel Crooked Little Vain. Nice and easy read that will make you feel dirty.

Mordred Deschain
08-25-2007, 09:54 AM
REading this now..

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/childrenofhuron.jpg

MonteGss
08-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Do you like it so far, MD? I haven't read any of Tolkien's others, just LOTR and Hobbit.

Mordred Deschain
08-25-2007, 10:05 AM
you should read the Silmarillion. I really have not got that far into it, unpacking at my new flat and all, so I really don't have an opinion of it yet.

Darkthoughts
08-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Oh man, the Silmarillion was too much for me. It was like a history text book. I just wanted someone to highlight the good parts for me so I could skip the rest.

Brice
08-25-2007, 01:50 PM

Matt, can we go ahead and ban this guy now? :lol:

BlakeMP
08-25-2007, 05:21 PM
Just started reading David Wellington's Monster Island.

Mordred Deschain
08-26-2007, 06:26 AM
Oh man, the Silmarillion was too much for me. It was like a history text book. I just wanted someone to highlight the good parts for me so I could skip the rest.

I know what your saying. It took me awhile to finish that book. Heh...it did remind me of a mythology class I took.