PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

razz
11-01-2008, 06:07 AM
I just finish The Regulators. I don't know what to read next *runs to bookshelf* maybe Needful Things?

Darkthoughts
11-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Yeah go for it! I loved Needful Things!!

sarah
11-02-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm hearing Roland calling again. So, I heading back to The Dark Tower....7. I'm picking up where I left off months ago...when Eddie Dies :cry:

razz
11-02-2008, 04:35 PM
well change of plans; I'm reading to Kill a Mockingbird.

fernandito
11-02-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm hearing Roland calling again. So, I heading back to The Dark Tower....7. I'm picking up where I left off months ago...when Eddie Dies :cry:

Wow, that's a tough stop to resume from.

:cry:

William50
11-02-2008, 04:51 PM
I am currently reading a few different short stories by H.P. Lovecraft. Awsome!:thumbsup:

sarah
11-02-2008, 05:01 PM
well change of plans; I'm reading to Kill a Mockingbird.

To Kill a Mocking Bird has been on my night stand for a month now and I still haven't gotten to it. grrr! It is one of my all time favorite books but I haven't read it in ages. :beat:

William50
11-02-2008, 05:09 PM
To Kill a Mocking Bird is on my 9th grade reading list this year. I'm pumped because i've heard some very good things about it.

razz
11-02-2008, 05:15 PM
i didn't like it when i first read it. but now looking back it wasn't really that bad. So now i am to read it for our book club!

fernandito
11-02-2008, 06:55 PM
I must have Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. Now.

Arthur Heath
11-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Neverwhere was the doorway to my Gaiman world. Loved the man since.

Have you read The Sandman yet?

:fairy:

I have the first few volumes. I have yet to get serious about collecting them all, but will. Murder Mysteries may be my favorite comic by him. The Last Temptation stars Alice Cooper and is pretty cool.
I enjoy his novels more than his comics. Speaking of, I looked for Interworld at a few private bookshops last week but was unable to find it. I never did spot a Barnes and Nobles in Seattle.

fernandito
11-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Why don't you just order it through amazon? The book is pretty cheap, and if you want you can choose the Free shipping method ... although it takes about 5-9 days to get your items shipped out. But it's still free!

Arthur Heath
11-04-2008, 02:01 PM
I know what you mean, and I did. I was hoping to catch it while I was out of town so I had something to read on route home.

The Lady of Shadows
11-04-2008, 02:47 PM
finished to kill a mockingbird
finished dear american airlines

now i can go back to the living dead and house of leaves (at least until just after sunset arrives).

Seymour_Glass
11-04-2008, 06:26 PM
I just read a Kurt Vonnegut omnibus. It had Cat's Cradle, Slaughter-House Five and Breakfast of Champions. He's my new favorite writer.

John_and_Yoko
11-04-2008, 06:28 PM
I just read a Kurt Vonnegut omnibus. It had Cat's Cradle, Slaughter-House Five and Breakfast of Champions. He's my new favorite writer.

:D

Have you read Mother Night?

ladysai
11-05-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm on a reread
(really a re-listen)
of Wizard and Glass.
And this time I am not cheating and skipping over the whole Mejis story.
I'm enjoying Mejis more than I thought I would.
:)

iamjacksgoat
11-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Just started One flew over the cuckoo's nest by Ken Kesey.

Oh, I loved that book. It was much better than the movie, though the movie was amazing as well. Throughly creepy though.

Daghain
11-05-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm on a reread
(really a re-listen)
of Wizard and Glass.

I've been listening to the series too and I'm also on WaG. The audio makes it better for me than the book, but I'm still all, "Get back to the CURRENT story!" :lol:

Cuthbert Heath
11-05-2008, 05:28 PM
i thought that too will i was reading it but by the end i really enjoyed the mejis part of it it had to be told...

Daghain
11-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I've kind of resigned myself to that. :lol:

I will say I LOVE Guidall's Cuthbert, though. It's awesome.

ladysai
11-06-2008, 04:26 AM
I didnt know there was an audio version by Guidall...
I'm listening to Frank Mueller's version, and its excellent, of course. :)

Tiffany
11-06-2008, 06:38 AM
Currently reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, by Dave Eggers. So far, so good. I think I might enjoy this author. My husband has a number of his books and I've eyeballed How We Are Hungry a few times but never picked it up.

And I picked up the third book in the Wicked series while in Texas. A Lion Among Men. I'm pretty eager to start it.

The Lady of Shadows
11-06-2008, 12:11 PM
*ahem*

dave eggers rocks

we now return you to your regularly scheduled message board

Tiffany
11-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I'm digging him. :) Maybe I'll read A Lion Among Men next, then dig into the other Eggers books.

bluelph24
11-07-2008, 10:39 AM
just finished Infinite Jest. took me over a month.

now am into Farewell, My Lovely - Raymond Chandler

also, Black Boy and Invisible Man for school

educatedlady
11-07-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm reading Cell.
I tried to read it months ago but I got busy and never got around to it again so now I'm giving it another shot.

Brice
11-07-2008, 11:13 AM

What did you think of it?

Darkthoughts
11-08-2008, 05:21 AM
Reading The Day Of The Triffids which I highly recommend. It was written in 1951, but doesn't come across as dated. In many ways it reminds me of The Stand, very post apocalyptic and groups of people struggling to survive and rebuild with very differing viewpoints.

Jean
11-08-2008, 05:25 AM
bears like it, too

Darkthoughts
11-08-2008, 05:36 AM
I had a feeling they would :D

Jon
11-09-2008, 04:30 AM
Edenborn - Nick Sagan

Heather19
11-09-2008, 02:31 PM
About half way into Locke & Key and I'm really enjoying it.

bluelph24
11-09-2008, 03:23 PM

i liked it. it 's really a monster though. books, even of that size, take me about a week to read. 47 odd days is huge for me. but i liked it, overall

William50
11-09-2008, 03:38 PM
I just started the Odyssey today. Great so far.:thumbsup:

SigTauGimp
11-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Currently, I've started reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter, the first book of the Dexter trilogy, now a ShoTime miniseries with the same name...I enjoy the writing quite a bit so far...Dexter's personality works just as well(if not better) on paper as it does in film.

The Lady of Shadows
11-09-2008, 07:08 PM
:clap:

dexter so rocks!

SigTauGimp
11-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Absolutely agreed...I've watched the series for some time now, and recently found out that it was based off of those books...so, naturally I scrambled to find the books and read those. :excited:

John_and_Yoko
11-09-2008, 10:42 PM
3/4 of the way through Bag of Bones now. :D

Once that's finished I intend to start Rose Madder.

The Lady of Shadows
11-09-2008, 10:51 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

and i will await your reactions to both in the proper threads. seriously, these are two of my favorite books by sai king and i absolutely love to hear what other people think of them. :D

John_and_Yoko
11-09-2008, 11:13 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

and i will await your reactions to both in the proper threads. seriously, these are two of my favorite books by sai king and i absolutely love to hear what other people think of them. :D

Well, I'm loving Bag of Bones so far, though I won't go into detail here--saving that for the actual thread for that novel, and for after I finish the whole thing.

But I am lovin' it! :D

Heather19
11-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Finished Locke & Key last night. Loved it! I don't think I can wait till the next installment comes out. I want to know what's going to happen now.

William50
11-10-2008, 08:08 PM
I just began The Hobbit a few days ago. Oh yeah.:)

~Unfound~
11-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Im currently Reading Star Wars "The Force Unleashed" its great. Star Wars is my other great love besides The Dark Tower.

William50
11-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Nice to meet you, and thank god i've found another SW fan on this site!

jayson
11-11-2008, 04:33 AM

First time?

I'm always a bit envious of those who can read it for the first time. That was so long ago for me. I'm looking forward to reading it to my daughter for the first time.

ladysai
11-11-2008, 05:28 AM

First time?

I'm always a bit envious of those who can read it for the first time. That was so long ago for me. I'm looking forward to reading it to my daughter for the first time.

Sharing beloved books with your kids is one of parenting's greatest experiences.
I'm sure you'll enjoy introducing the hobbits to your daughter as greatly as she'll be delighted to meet them.

jayson
11-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Sharing beloved books with your kids is one of parenting's greatest experiences.

One of the first things we did when my wife got pregnant was to start assembling a library of books we'd want to read our child. We've already started reading to her. I'm sure it'll be a whole new kind of fun when she can comprehend it, but even now, it's fun time to spend with her.

Heather19
11-11-2008, 06:30 AM
That is such a great idea Jayson. I'm sure you've got some good one's picked out for her already.

William50
11-11-2008, 06:50 AM

First time?

Yeah. I've read the Lord of the Rings and I am a huge fan, so I had to try the Hobbit.

jayson
11-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Yeah. I've read the Lord of the Rings and I am a huge fan, so I had to try the Hobbit.

Cool. I think having the context of LotR will provide an interesting perspective for The Hobbit. Enjoy!

William50
11-11-2008, 07:00 AM
I've also read the History of middle Earth series, which was also really cool. Tolkien is one of my many literature related heroes. :)

jayson
11-11-2008, 07:07 AM
I've also read the History of middle Earth series, which was also really cool. Tolkien is one of my many literature related heroes. :)

Super cool! I love the History of Middle Earth books as well. Christopher Tolkien did a wonderful service presenting such thorough examination of his father's published and unpublished works. I actually enjoy the stories of the First and Second Ages a little more than LotR. It reads like history (and I mean that in a complimentary way).

John_and_Yoko
11-11-2008, 09:12 AM
I've only read The History of The Lord of the Rings myself (the middle portion of The History of Middle-earth), but I have read The Silmarillion, and also The Children of Hurin. So I am somewhat familiar with the First Age and Second Age of Middle-earth....

Anyway, in other news, I have finished Bag of Bones (see its thread for my reaction to it). I have a killer assignment this week, though, so I'm not going to be able to start Rose Madder until next week.

Daghain
11-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Just finished my reread of Firestarter and am starting Choke by Chuck Palahniuk.

theBeamisHome
11-12-2008, 06:44 PM
I am working on the Complete and Unabridged works of H.P. Lovecraft now... haven't gotten to anything Cthulhu related yet though... well some foreshadowers, but nothing directs.... and this Lovecraft dude was a nut :lol: excellent writing though

fernandito
11-12-2008, 07:11 PM
I should be getting Goblet of Fire in the mail tomorrow! :excited:

sarah
11-12-2008, 07:25 PM
sweetacha! I want a play by play and a full report. :huglove:

William50
11-12-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm still reading The Hobbit, but i've also started reading Salem's Lot. Pretty good so far, and i plan to watch the movie after I finish.

Tiffany
11-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Finished A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. It was good. Sort of up-and-down-and-all-around...one of the reviews called it bipolar and I think that's a fitting description. Still, a good book.

In the middle of A Lion Among Men right now. I'm glad it gave a little bit of info about Wicked and Son of a Witch at the beginning because I think I'd have been lost without it.

Wuducynn
11-13-2008, 07:41 AM

I love both these books. Two of my favorite non-Dark Tower books.

theBeamisHome
11-13-2008, 07:48 AM

I love both these books. Two of my favorite non-Dark Tower books.

ditto... i read Bag of Bones in 10th grade... and i don't remember if i read Rose Madder before or after, but they are def in my top 19 :)

Wuducynn
11-13-2008, 07:51 AM
10th grade. *Goes to pack for his move to Florida and to buy a walker*

theBeamisHome
11-13-2008, 08:16 AM
:lol:

i'm in college now though... i mean that was like... ummm 6 years ago.

Daghain
11-13-2008, 08:25 AM
If you need a walker, I must need a wheelchair. :lol:

2 chapters into Choke. Typically weird Palahniuk so far. :thumbsup:

fernandito
11-13-2008, 09:34 AM
I really want to pick up a Palahniuk novel, but I am >extremely< picky when it comes to picking up novels outside of the horror, fantasy, or science fiction genre.

:unsure:

jayson
11-13-2008, 09:57 AM
I loved Choke. Chuck P is hit or miss with me, but I thought that one was great. If I had to personally pick one for you to start with, it'd be that or Survivor which is probably my favorite of his works so far.

Daghain
11-13-2008, 10:03 AM
So far I've only read Haunted and Fight Club. I will tell you about 2/3 of the way thorough Haunted I could not eat lunch and read at the same time. And almost nothing grosses me out that much. :lol:

I loved it, though. That was the first one of his I read and it hooked me.

Jean
11-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Thank God, I finished Lullaby. Don't remember struggling with the last 50 or so pages of a book that hard since The Eyes of the Dragon. Reading Cell, and now it reads great!

Tiffany
11-13-2008, 11:43 AM
My favorite was Haunted and though I liked most of the books I've read of his, I don't think I'll be picking any up again any time soon. I felt so depressed afterward.

Though, to be fair, I did read five or six of them all back to back to back.

idk, my bff jill?
11-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Currently reading:

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd334/POW-lah/Stuff/41TGPP0G1XL.jpg

I've only read two of Chuck Palahniuk's books, Fight Club and Choke, and though I really enjoyed Fight Club, I thought Choke was overkill. It was disgusting, yeah, and Palahnuik is great at describing all the characters' gruesome experiences, but other than that, I didn't find it very amusing. I need a book that does more than just take away my appetite for a little while.
Anyway, I hope Choke is better. I'm thinking of buying it sometime during the weekend.

jayson
11-13-2008, 01:40 PM
I love Cat's Cradle. Well, to be fair, I love all of Vonnegut's work, but that one is one of my favorites.

SigTauGimp
11-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Just finished "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" from Jeff Lindsay...I'm not really sure what to think about it...I think this may be one of those very rare occasions when I like the movie, series, etc. better than the book itself. I mean, the book WAS good, don't get me wrong. I just think that I prefer the storyline in the ShoTime miniseries a little more.

About to start reading "The Salmon Of Doubt" from Douglas Adams next. :)

jayson
11-13-2008, 01:58 PM
About to start reading "The Salmon Of Doubt" from Douglas Adams next. :)

I always wind up wishing he had a chance to finish that one. I could have used one more Dirk Gently story.

Tiffany
11-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Currently reading:

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd334/POW-lah/Stuff/41TGPP0G1XL.jpg

I've only read two of Chuck Palahniuk's books, Fight Club and Choke, and though I really enjoyed Fight Club, I thought Choke was overkill. It was disgusting, yeah, and Palahnuik is great at describing all the characters' gruesome experiences, but other than that, I didn't find it very amusing. I need a book that does more than just take away my appetite for a little while.
Anyway, I hope Choke is better. I'm thinking of buying it sometime during the weekend.

I didn't find it humorous, either. And I have a sick, twisted sense of humor! The movie trailer manages to make it look funny, though.

Anybody read The Red Tent? I got it for Christmas last year and haven't read it.

Heather19
11-13-2008, 03:11 PM
I really want to pick up a Palahniuk novel, but I am >extremely< picky when it comes to picking up novels outside of the horror, fantasy, or science fiction genre.

I would definately urge you to check him out. He's not for everyone, but I think you might enjoy some of his stuff. I'd recommend you start with either Fight Club or Lullaby. I'd advise you to not read Haunted first. That was my first introduction to him, and to be honest I didn't really care for it too much. There were a few good stories in there, but the overall book I just thought was a bit too much. However, I luckily enjoyed his style of writing enough to pick up some of his other books, and now I'm hooked.

The Lady of Shadows
11-13-2008, 06:30 PM
as for palahniuk, start with lullaby. definitely.

as for vonnegut. :: bleh ::
i gladly sent cat's cradle to a certain russian bear. and would gladly send every vonnegut book in existence to that same bear if i could. :wtf:

i SHOULD be reading just after sunset RIGHT HERE AND FUCKING NOW but am i? no. and why not? because even though i paid for the more expensive shipping option, amazon.com has decided to use the slowboat to t/song route to get my book to me. :pullhair:

idk, my bff jill?
11-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Those bastards. ><

The Lady of Shadows
11-13-2008, 07:31 PM
thanks for the support paula. if it's not here tomorrow i'm going to have to hire razz to do something nefarious to them. . . .

:evil:

Brice
11-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Reading The Day Of The Triffids which I highly recommend. It was written in 1951, but doesn't come across as dated. In many ways it reminds me of The Stand, very post apocalyptic and groups of people struggling to survive and rebuild with very differing viewpoints.

Excellent book! :D

i liked it. it 's really a monster though. books, even of that size, take me about a week to read. 47 odd days is huge for me. but i liked it, overall

Yeah, it may have been all those endnotes that slowed you down. I remember this one took me awhile the first time I read it too.

All the books I've been reading are on hold. This happens when a new SK book comes out everytime. :D I got it this morning and am a little more than a third of the way through with it.

Brice
11-13-2008, 07:53 PM
I am working on the Complete and Unabridged works of H.P. Lovecraft now... haven't gotten to anything Cthulhu related yet though... well some foreshadowers, but nothing directs.... and this Lovecraft dude was a nut :lol: excellent writing though

Here is the Cthulu Mythos in their published order (including other author's/friends in Lovecraft's life who contributed to it).

http://www.epberglund.com/RGttCM/chrono01.htm

They can be read in any order though. I read them out of sequence and sometimes just a story or two all the time.

fernandito
11-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Ahhhhh!! Goblet of Fire just got here! :excited: Can't wait for break time!

John_and_Yoko
11-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Just started Rose Madder.

Oh.

My.

God.

:scared: :arg:

The Lady of Shadows
11-14-2008, 11:01 PM
i know! :panic:

you should listen to it. sai king can really do norman. i mean REALLY!

Sam
11-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Finishing the last little bit of Just After Sunset.

John_and_Yoko
11-14-2008, 11:17 PM
i know! :panic:

you should listen to it. sai king can really do norman. i mean REALLY!

I'd be scared to hear that.... :scared:

But I'm enjoying this book--I'm barely into it and he's hooked me already, and tugging on the line! :) I might well finish this sooner than I expected to!

mystima
11-14-2008, 11:20 PM
just finished a book called body bags...daughter gave it to me from a friends mother...was a good suspense book...never thought working as a pathologist could be so much of a thriller.

jhanic
11-15-2008, 06:15 AM
Rereading Just After Sunset.

John

Rjeso
11-15-2008, 10:58 AM
The Disapparation of James - Anne Ursu

Chap
11-15-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm on a reread
(really a re-listen)
of Wizard and Glass.

I've been listening to the series too and I'm also on WaG. The audio makes it better for me than the book, but I'm still all, "Get back to the CURRENT story!" :lol:

That's what I thought for the first half of WaG, but then I somehow got lost in the tale and ended up absolutely loving the entire book.

Currently reading The Stand, but it's a bit daunting to say the least. 1300+ pages and so far it's not even very good. (I'm still pretty early in the book, it keeps making me sleepy)

jhanic
11-15-2008, 12:59 PM
It's not uncommon for people reading The Stand to start developing flu-like symptoms. But sleepy? I've never heard of that!

John

The Lady of Shadows
11-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Rereading Just After Sunset.

John

did you JUST get that book? like, yesterday? :lol:

jhanic
11-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah, but I got the proof a while ago and read that. Now I'm rereading the book!

John

gsvec
11-15-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm reading JAS, too - got my copy just before I left for HI!

bluelph24
11-15-2008, 08:30 PM
JAS also

The Lady of Shadows
11-15-2008, 08:54 PM
reading JAS

listening to needful things (goddamn stephen king can read a fucking book!)

bluelph24
11-16-2008, 06:19 AM
reading JAS

listening to needful things (goddamn stephen king can read a fucking book!)

incidentally, i watched needful things yesterday onsci-fi, i think, and am reading JAS

LadyHitchhiker
11-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Outlaw school a sci-fi story but so far it's sad

Heather19
11-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Finally got around to ordering a copy of JAS. Hopefully it'll come in soon, I'm dying to read it, and I can't bare to touch my signed copy.

Sam
11-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Thank God, I finished Lullaby. Don't remember struggling with the last 50 or so pages of a book that hard since The Eyes of the Dragon. Reading Cell, and now it reads great!

You didn't like Eyes of the Dragon?

Fall of Gilead
11-16-2008, 08:24 PM
The Bonehunters by Erikson, Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, The Outstretched Shadow by Lackey and Mallory, and Magic Cottage by James Herbert.

Jackie
11-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Carrie

Ironicly my Firestarted got soaked by an exploding RockStar

Wuducynn
11-16-2008, 09:20 PM

Oh.

My.

God.

I can't tell if that is good or bad. I love that book so much. You really should listen to it, it's one of the best produced audio books ever. King does a perfect Norman Daniels, the special effects are wonderful, the actress that does Rosie is perfect.

John_and_Yoko
11-16-2008, 09:33 PM

Oh.

My.

God.

I can't tell if that is good or bad. I love that book so much. You really should listen to it, it's one of the best produced audio books ever. King does a perfect Norman Daniels, the special effects are wonderful, the actress that does Rosie is perfect.

Thought I explained myself later in the thread....

Actually I did. The "oh my God" was in reference to what Norman had DONE to the poor woman....

But yeah, I'm finding it easy to read and hooking my attention easily (and I'm enjoying it)--a welcome change after Bag of Bones.

Jean
11-17-2008, 01:06 AM

Absolutely hated it. I will post in that thread, it's on the long list of things I got to do some time soon

Jackie
11-17-2008, 01:50 AM

Absolutely hated it. I will post in that thread, it's on the long list of things I got to do some time soon

How could you HATE EOTD?!? I absolutly LOVED it!!!!

Ruthful
11-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Economics in One Lesson, by Henry Hazlitt

The Truth About Muhammad, by Robert Spencer

The Revolution: A Manifesto, by Ron Paul

Grief Lessons: Four Plays by Euripides

LadyHitchhiker
11-18-2008, 03:13 PM
I just finished reading "My legendary girlfriend" by Mike Gail and am now moving onto Obsidan Butterfly by Laurell K. Hamilton.

Unfound One
11-18-2008, 04:24 PM
The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid

jhanic
11-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Finishing Just After Sunset and about to begin Throttle, in He Is Legend.

John

John_and_Yoko
11-18-2008, 06:48 PM
At this rate I might well finish Rose Madder tonight! :D

Whenever I do, next on my reading list is Desperation.

Daghain
11-18-2008, 07:11 PM

Good choice!

John_and_Yoko
11-18-2008, 07:35 PM

Good choice!

Thanks! :D

And then, of course, I'll read The Regulators after that. :)

Daghain
11-18-2008, 07:46 PM
That's what I did as well. It's a bit confusing at first but you figure it out pretty quickly. :D

John_and_Yoko
11-18-2008, 07:51 PM
That's what I did as well. It's a bit confusing at first but you figure it out pretty quickly. :D

Yeah, earlier this year I tried reading both at the same time, but this time I think I'm just going to read them one at a time. :)

Daghain
11-18-2008, 07:57 PM
I think that is definitely a better idea. :)

John_and_Yoko
11-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Finished Rose Madder! :D

Daghain
11-18-2008, 09:08 PM

educatedlady
11-18-2008, 09:18 PM
I just bought Just After Sunset so I'll start that tonight or tomorrow morning.

fernandito
11-18-2008, 09:59 PM
I just purchased Just After Sunset and Coraline by Gaiman. :D

Daghain
11-18-2008, 10:07 PM
CORALINE!!! READ IT NOW!!!!!! :D

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-19-2008, 03:05 AM
JUST FINISHED "NEXT" BY MICHEAL CHRICHTON. IT WAS PRETTY GOOD, BUT HE HAS BETTER BOOKS. NOW I AM READING "BLAZE", NOT TOO BAD.

Daghain
11-19-2008, 09:13 AM
This is probably going to sound really stupid after I just did it, but I don't think you realize that when you type in all caps it's the Internet equivalent to yelling at everyone. :panic:

And actually, I WAS yelling at feev. :lol:

Oh, and let us know what you think of Blaze. Great book, IMHO. :thumbsup:

Wuducynn
11-19-2008, 11:29 AM
This is probably going to sound really stupid after I just did it, but I don't think you realize that when you type in all caps it's the Internet equivalent to yelling at everyone. :panic:

And actually, I WAS yelling at feev. :lol:

Oh, and let us know what you think of Blaze. Great book, IMHO. :thumbsup:

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT????

Daghain
11-19-2008, 11:37 AM
WHAT?????

theBeamisHome
11-19-2008, 12:18 PM
:lol: that's true.. when someone sends me a message or texts me in all caps i always respond back "stop yelling at me!" /off topic

i'm not really reading anything.. working slowly on Lovecraft... paused for a little bit because it gives me nightmares.

Wuducynn
11-19-2008, 12:36 PM
I'M HARD OF HEARING ON THESE HERE INTERWEBS.

Wuducynn
11-19-2008, 12:37 PM
i'm not really reading anything.. working slowly on Lovecraft... paused for a little bit because it gives me nightmares.

Read the story "Whisperer in the Dark" it's the scariest story I've read by him so far.

Gasher80
11-19-2008, 01:14 PM
the world is flat by tom friedman

Matt
11-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Still making my way though "Blue Mars" <_<

fernandito
11-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Why the <_< smilie?

Not enjoying it?

ManOfWesternesse
11-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Tonight I just finished Book 9 (of 11) in my Wheel of Time re-read.
Taking a break in that now to read Just After Sunset.

John_and_Yoko
11-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Just started Desperation (again).

SigTauGimp
11-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Nearly finished with The Salmon of Doubt, then I'm probably gonna read JAS.

Daghain
11-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Just finished Choke by Chuck Palahniuk and am now going to read Duma Key. :panic:

Tiffany
11-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Just finished Neverwhere and LOVED IT. I think he's quickly becoming my second favorite author. One part, though, that sort of disappointed me was...

..how easily Hunter got taken out, especially after all the talk of how badass she was.

Starting on Noisy Outlaws, Unfriendly Blobs, and Maybe Some Other Things that Aren't as Scary, Maybe, Depending on How You Feel About Lost Lands, Stray Cellphones, Creatures From the Sky, Parents who Disappear in Peru, a Man Named Lars Farf, and One Other Story We Couldn't Quite Finish, So Maybe You Could Help Us Out.

It's got an intro by Lemony Snickett and there's a short story by Gaiman in there somewhere.

fernandito
11-20-2008, 10:29 AM
What other Gaiman books have you read, Tiffany? Have you read American Gods yet?

Tiffany
11-20-2008, 10:37 AM
American Gods was the first one I read. Neverwhere is the only other but so far, that's been enough for me to make him my second favorite.

I found a hidden nook at the used/overstock bookstore I buy from that has a lot of the oversize and hardcovers. I found Fragile Things there. I haven't started yet, though. And I always look for Anansi Boys or any others. They also have the Sandman graphic novels but I've abstained because I've asked for some for Christmas and don't want to make it difficult for my family. :D Gaiman is awesome.

Heather19
11-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Just finished Choke by Chuck Palahniuk and am now going to read Duma Key. :panic:

Enjoy, it's a great story!

fernandito
11-20-2008, 03:45 PM
... and am now going to read Duma Key. :panic:

I'm sorry.

The Lady of Shadows
11-20-2008, 04:35 PM

:: sigh ::

my sympathies. just in case you get bored to death - it was really nice knowing you. and can i have all your stephen king stuff? :D

Daghain
11-20-2008, 06:24 PM
This is going to be one of those love it or hate it books, isn't it? :lol:

Rjeso
11-20-2008, 07:39 PM
The Crystal Cave - Mary Stewart

I'm actually almost done with The D of J, after which I am going to start my very first Chucky P. book, Survivor.

The Lady of Shadows
11-20-2008, 07:49 PM

really daggers. what on heaven or earth or all the levels of the tower gave you that impression? :P

The Crystal Cave - Mary Stewart

I'm actually almost done with The D of J, after which I am going to start my very first Chucky P. book, Survivor.

i loved the disapparation of james! :D

jayson
11-20-2008, 09:16 PM

Or both. I loved it until the last 1/4 of it. Then I hated it.

Stuff a figurine in a flashlight to beat the bad guy. Gimme a break.

Jean
11-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Irish Dawn: Duma Key is one of the best books I've read in my life. I am seriously thinking of it replacing Misery, or maybe Desperation, in my Top Five King Novels.

Daghain
11-21-2008, 08:13 AM
I'm only about 20 pages in, but it's pretty good so far. :)

fernandito
11-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Search your feelings, Luke (Dags)...

LadyHitchhiker
11-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Narcissus in Chains by Laurell K Hamilton and man it is gooooooooooooooooooood...

Daghain
11-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Search your feelings, Luke (Dags)...

LOL!

Rjeso
11-21-2008, 12:17 PM

Holy hell, you know Anne Ursu? Nobody knows her! :o

She used to write an absolutely wonderful, legendary baseball blog about the Twins. Sadly, she had to give it up when she had a baby. It took me while after subscribing to her blog (which she wrote under the nom de plume of Bat-Girl) to find out that she had a "close personal friend" who wrote professionally and had a few books out there. I read Spilling Clarence and found that I loved her books as much as her blog.

Matt
11-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Why the <_< smilie?

Not enjoying it?

Its very interesting for sure but some of it plays like a soap opera and I'm really wishing something would just...happen. :lol:

The Lady of Shadows
11-21-2008, 12:55 PM

Holy hell, you know Anne Ursu? Nobody knows her! :o

She used to write an absolutely wonderful, legendary baseball blog about the Twins. Sadly, she had to give it up when she had a baby. It took me while after subscribing to her blog (which she wrote under the nom de plume of Bat-Girl) to find out that she had a "close personal friend" who wrote professionally and had a few books out there. I read Spilling Clarence and found that I loved her books as much as her blog.

hmmmm. baseball? :nope: not so much.

her books. can't get enough of them and wish she would write them faster. the disapparation of james was the best yet in my opinion.
it made the barnes and noble discover new writers section. :clap:
so i'm sure lots of people will know her now. :D

Letti
11-21-2008, 12:57 PM
I am trying to read Lord of the Flies again. This time in English. I hope I can finish it at last.

Daghain
11-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Ooh, I LOVED that book!

Bluenose
11-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Dracula! Seemed the time of year for it!

Heather19
11-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Irish Dawn: Duma Key is one of the best books I've read in my life. I am seriously thinking of it replacing Misery, or maybe Desperation, in my Top Five King Novels.

I would currently put Duma Key in my top 5. There was just something about that book, I really grew to love the characters, and I just got so wrapped up in the story. There hasn't been a book in quite some time that I've enjoyed as much as that one.

The Lady of Shadows
11-21-2008, 04:49 PM
currently reading: nothing.

not a goddamned thing. i can't concentrate on anything. i've got this beautiful JAS edition sitting here and i've made it through one fucking story. one. count it. ONE.

i can't even get through more than 15 minutes of needful things on my ipod.

what the fuck is wrong with me??????? :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

Lord_Vertigo
11-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Picking up Nietzsche (sp?) for the first time today. Nearly through DT 3 for the second time.

John_and_Yoko
11-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Halfway through Desperation! :)

This is a FAST read!

ManOfWesternesse
11-21-2008, 11:23 PM
I am trying to read Lord of the Flies again. This time in English. I hope I can finish it at last.
We had to study that at School, which can often have the effect of making you hate a book for life!:lol:
But no, I really liked Lord of the Flies. Been years since I read it now.

Jean
11-22-2008, 01:22 AM

I would currently put Duma Key in my top 5. There was just something about that book, I really grew to love the characters, and I just got so wrapped up in the story. There hasn't been a book in quite some time that I've enjoyed as much as that one.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Ooh, I LOVED that book!

I hated it. We've had a conversation with Nikolett in Books So Bad They Make You Anemic about that.

LadyHitchhiker
11-22-2008, 05:49 AM
I am reading The Gunslinger by Stephen King... I wonder if anybody here has ever heard of that book before... :orely:

:P

Brice
11-22-2008, 05:53 AM
Stephen King? Who the hell is that? :orely:

Darkthoughts
11-22-2008, 05:55 AM
Jean, I am not fond of Lord of the Flies either. I don't understand all the fuss people make over it.

LadyHitchhiker
11-22-2008, 06:01 AM
I have never read the lord of the flies but from the description I wouldn't like it.

Wuducynn
11-22-2008, 06:04 AM

Some romance novelist, like Jackie Collins I think.

jhanic
11-22-2008, 06:06 AM

Some romance novelist, like Jackie Collins I think.

Yeah, I've heard he writes under the pen name of Stephen King, but his real name is Paul Sheldon.

John

Brice
11-22-2008, 06:29 AM
:lol:

Darkthoughts
11-22-2008, 06:36 AM
I have never read the lord of the flies but from the description I wouldn't like it.

It wasn't the content that I disliked, I just found the narrative boring.

Brice
11-22-2008, 06:37 AM
At least in this we disagree, Lisa. This is one of those rare books I had to read in school that I like despite having had to read it.

Darkthoughts
11-22-2008, 06:40 AM
I tried to read it many times and lost interest. I forced myself through the whole thing this year and still didn't enjoy it. My Dad however is like Ted Brautigan in relation to this book :D He recommends it to the world!

jayson
11-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Picking up Nietzsche (sp?) for the first time today. Nearly through DT 3 for the second time.

That's excellent LV. What Nietzsche are you starting with? I love Nietzsche.

I also really liked Lord of the Flies. It's been awhile since I read it last, but I always thought it was excellent.

Wuducynn
11-22-2008, 08:50 AM
I have yet to read Lord of the Flies, but the inclusion of it in Low Men in Yellow Coats has sparked my interest, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Letti
11-22-2008, 08:56 AM

You don't know him? :rolleyes:

the milk man

Brice
11-22-2008, 08:57 AM
:rofl:

The Lady of Shadows
11-22-2008, 10:37 AM
I am reading The Gunslinger by Stephen King... I wonder if anybody here has ever heard of that book before... :orely:

:P

i don't read westerns. :nope: sorry.

Rjeso
11-22-2008, 01:11 PM

You don't know him? :rolleyes:

the milk man

No, Letti. Dur.

fernandito
11-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Laura....

Ender's Game?...

:orely:

Darkthoughts
11-22-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm about halfway through Just After Sunset now. The Gingerbread Girl is my favourite story so far :cool:

Empath of the White
11-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Is this your first time reading the series, Empath?

Yer bugger!.:rock:

It took two attempts though. On my first one I kind of lost interest midway through. I believe it was at the part where Sansa and her friend Jeyne Poole were attending a tourney. A few months later I came back, started from the beginning, and kept reading. Khal Drogo and Daenerys were my favorite characters. I especially liked when Drogo gave Viserys that crown he'd been bitching about. Poetic justice at its finest. I found it refreshing that he managed to create a fantasy without getting bogged down in the usual stereotypes of the genre. (Aside, I hope Joffrey gets everything he deserves.:shoot:) I felt bad for Sansa when She started seeing Joffrey's other side. Specifically that scene where he showed her Ned's impaled head.

I did some research, and it appears that I may be in the same predicament the Tower Junkies were in during the lull betwen WAG and WOTC. George ain't getting any younger!:panic:

John_and_Yoko
11-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Just finished Desperation.

Talk about creepy.... :scared:

Anyway, going to start The Regulators tomorrow.

Daghain
11-23-2008, 10:28 PM

SigTauGimp
11-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Well, I was "supposed" to start on JaS after finishing "The Salmon of Doubt"...but, somehow, I've managed to either misplace, or let someone borrow, my copy of JaS:orely:...so, instead, I've been re-reading Issac Asimov's short story collection, "Robot Visions"...

Heather19
11-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Just After Sunset has arrived!!
Also finally got around to getting a copy of Twilight, although I'm not sure how quickly I'll get to reading it.

John_and_Yoko
11-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Started The Regulators yesterday--it's a FAST read....

William50
11-25-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm just about to read the Green Mile again. Man i love that book. :P

The Lady of Shadows
11-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Just After Sunset has arrived!!
Also finally got around to getting a copy of Twilight, although I'm not sure how quickly I'll get to reading it.

as the infection spread, the gathered community gazed in wonder and terror as yet another beloved member was brought low by this terrifying and atrocious phenomenom. :cry:

Heather19
11-25-2008, 05:09 PM
:lol: I know, I know, but I just couldn't resist seeing what all the fuss was about.

theBeamisHome
11-26-2008, 09:32 AM
I love Lord of the Flies.
Desperation scared the hell out of me..
so did the Regulators, but not as bad.
i'm fighting the urge to read Twilight.
Read two stories from Just After Sunset in B&N and wasn't too pressed to buy it from what i read.
Just finished The Library Policeman :scared: :cry: :panic:
Starting Duma Key.

Brice
11-26-2008, 09:34 AM
I love Lord of the Flies.
Desperation scared the hell out of me..
so did the Regulators, but not as bad.
i'm fighting the urge to read Twilight.
Read two stories from Just After Sunset in B&N and wasn't too pressed to buy it from what i read.
Just finished The Library Policeman :scared: :cry: :panic:
Starting Duma Key.

So...you didn't read N, did you?

SmallDropletsOfWater
11-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Currently, I am reading Wizards and Glass. It's my least favorite of the DT series, but it's till very good.

jhanic
11-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Just curious, but why is it your least favorite of the DT series?

John

William50
11-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Currently, I am reading Wizards and Glass. It's my least favorite of the DT series, but it's till very good.

Least? W&G might be my favorite. Which would be your favorite?

Jean
11-26-2008, 02:32 PM
::cough::

you know guys... there are lots of thread dedicated to those books, and specifically to the question of which is whose most or least favorite, and why.

::cough cough::

Daghain
11-26-2008, 06:47 PM
:thumbsup:

What the bear said. :D

jhanic
11-27-2008, 05:54 AM
Thanks for putting us back on track, bear!

John

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Just finished Blaze. I thought it was good. Nice change from the abstract writing that King has done of late.
I think I am going to read "A Christmas Carol" next. It has been hanging around on my shelf for awhile. And Christmas is coming up so.......

John_and_Yoko
11-28-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm over 3/4 of the way through The Regulators and plan to finish the whole thing tomorrow.

Lady_Macbeth
11-28-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm actually reading Fellowship of the Ring right now. I think I'm like the only person here, or anywhere for that matter who hasn't yet read the Lord of the Rings series or seen the movies. I think the series is freaking awesome so far, can't believe I've missed out on this all these years, lol. =P

Chap
11-28-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm actually reading Fellowship of the Ring right now. I think I'm like the only person here, or anywhere for that matter who hasn't yet read the Lord of the Rings series or seen the movies. I think the series is freaking awesome so far, can't believe I've missed out on this all these years, lol. =P

I'm quite shocked :scared:
if it wasn't for LotR, I probably wouldn't be reading The Dark Tower now.
I envy you though, traveling that road for the first time... ah the memories :rose:

Still reading Book 5 in The Legend of the Ice People. Taking damn long time because I only read in bed before sleeping, and lately I've been so tired I always fall asleep after 10-15 pages :P

jhanic
11-28-2008, 01:33 PM
I just realized it's been 46 years since I first read Lord of the Rings! Amazing! And I just reread it a few months ago.

John

fernandito
11-28-2008, 01:51 PM
I still havent' read LoTR...

Heather19
11-28-2008, 01:56 PM
I still havent' read LoTR...

don't worry, you're not alone

John_and_Yoko
11-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Just finished The Regulators and....

I have now read EVERYTHING officially Dark Tower-related that has ever been written! :D

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-28-2008, 07:11 PM
I also have not read LoTR. I have read the Hobbit a few years back (scored an illustrated 1st edition), but have not continued the series.
Waiting for a chance to aquire a good copy a guess.

Ashamed

Unfound One
11-28-2008, 07:41 PM
I just started Duma Key. (It's finally in paperback, heh.)

John_and_Yoko
11-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Going to look into On Writing, I think....

As far as fiction goes, though, I think the next thing I want to read is The Green Mile....

Unfound One
11-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Good choice. :thumbsup:

SigTauGimp
11-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Finished Robot Dreams by Issac Asimov yesterday, STILL couldn't find my copy of JaS:doh:, so today I went out and bought another copy...starting on it tonight. :P

Daghain
11-29-2008, 09:13 AM

Finally, some one else who waits for the paperbacks! :lol:

I'm about 150 pages in, and LOVING it so far. :thumbsup:

Jean
11-29-2008, 11:45 AM

Finally, some one else who waits for the paperbacks! :lol:

I'm about 150 pages in, and LOVING it so far. :thumbsup:
I would have waited not only for paperback, but for a badly used paperback, if a student of mine hadn't brought to me the hardback as a birthday present!

I love it that you're loving it!

Daghain
11-29-2008, 03:52 PM
:wub: :D

Ruthful
11-29-2008, 04:05 PM
I just finished reading Grief Lessons: Four Tragedies by Euripides, and The Best Game Ever, by Mark Bowden, which was about the 1958 NFL Championship Game between The Colts and The Giants. Right now I'm reading The Deporter, Economics in One Lesson, by Henry Hazlitt, and Sexless in the City, by Anna Broadway.

bluelph24
11-29-2008, 07:21 PM
finished JAS

thus spoke zarathustra - nietzsche

Ruthful
11-29-2008, 07:49 PM

I've never read any of the books, or The Hobbit. I have seen the three movies though. I just watched The Return of the King a few months ago, and wasn't as impressed as I was when I first saw it, to be honest.

jayson
11-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Got a copy of Just After Sunset in Houston and started on the plane back this morning. So far, so good.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-01-2008, 12:04 AM
I started reading A Christmas Carol yesterday. I can't believe that I have ignored this gem. It is very short. (about 70 pages) Yet, it is quite obvious how it became such an immortal classic. I highly recommend it to all.

ManOfWesternesse
12-01-2008, 01:12 AM
You're in one of the best places you're ever gonna be - a first read of Lord of the Rings! Enjoy it.

I just realized it's been 46 years since I first read Lord of the Rings! Amazing! And I just reread it a few months ago.

John
Ah, you make me feel young... and that's a good thing!
It's only been about 30 years for me (last re-read was also a few months ago).

I finished Just After Sunset at the weekend.
Not bad at all - a couple of good ones. 'N' is definitely a great one!

Now back to my re-read of Wheel of Time - reading Book 10.

Jean
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
I started reading A Christmas Carol yesterday. I can't believe that I have ignored this gem. It is very short. (about 70 pages) Yet, it is quite obvious how it became such an immortal classic. I highly recommend it to all.
Absolutely! Dickens is my favorite author, - and maybe there's something else by him you've overlooked so far? I would especially recomment Nicholas Nickleby, Martin Chuzzlewit, and Our Mutual Friend.

Arthur Heath
12-01-2008, 08:23 PM
I just ordered Why We Suck: A Feel Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid by Denis Leary. I love Leary. He seems a straight shooter.

Ruthful
12-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Borrowed a copy of "Just After Sunset" from the Express Reads section of my local library a few hours ago.

jhanic
12-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Finishing up a reread of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to get ready to read Tales of Beedle the Bard when it shows up.

John

ladykatherine
12-02-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuro Inshiguro.
Wow. Just wow.
I'm paranoid now...I think I've figured out what's going on, and I'm horrified to say the least.
:scared:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Started Black House today

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Absolutely! Dickens is my favorite author, - and maybe there's something else by him you've overlooked so far? I would especially recomment Nicholas Nickleby, Martin Chuzzlewit, and Our Mutual Friend.

Thanks, the only Dickens I have read are Great Expectations, Oliver Twist and Tale of Two Cities. I will try to get to those titles you mention

John_and_Yoko
12-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Just started The Green Mile.

Not sure if I care too much for the writing style, but otherwise I'm liking it (probably because I've seen the movie and know what it's about, but still).

Ruthful
12-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Economics in One Lesson, by Henry Hazlitt

The Deporter, by Ames Holbrook

Unfound One
12-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Loosing My Espanish by H.G. Carillo

Jean
12-04-2008, 01:14 AM
QI: The Book of General Ignorance by Stephen Fry. Very good, although even he (they, I mean, it's a group of authors this time) is not immune to some prejudice.

turtlex
12-04-2008, 03:46 AM
Just started the new Patricia Cornwell novel SCARPETTA.

So far, 185 pages into it and .... not impressed.

fernandito
12-04-2008, 04:02 AM
Loosing My Espanish by H.G. Carillo

Sounds interesting... :orely:

lophophoras
12-04-2008, 07:10 AM
January 2009 issue of Fantasy & Science Fiction

jhanic
12-04-2008, 08:16 AM
I'll be starting The Tales of Beedle the Bard very soon--my copies of both the deluxe and trade edition just arrived!

John

what
12-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Finished Duma Key and loved it! Started Blaze... i didn't realize how short it was, but that will get me to JaS quicker!

educatedlady
12-04-2008, 10:22 AM
FEAR by L. Ron Hubbard

Hannah
12-04-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm currently reading Even Cowgirls Get The Blues by Tom Robbins.

I'm on a Tom Robbins kick. I wonder why I haven't discovered him until now. He writes the best metaphors and similies ever.

jayson
12-04-2008, 10:44 AM
That was a great book Hannah. The movie, meh, not so much. Although, it does have Uma Thurmann in it. mmmm.... Uma Thurman.... :drool:

Hannah
12-04-2008, 10:46 AM
I didn't even know there was a movie. I may have to check it out after I finish the book. I'm guessing Uma was Sissy?

jayson
12-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Yes, she played Sissy.

Here's a link to the film on netflix...

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Even_Cowgirls_Get_the_Blues/60035955?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=1489393862_0_0

Tiffany
12-04-2008, 12:39 PM
At the beginning of Fragile Things, by Neil Gaiman. I stopped, though, because Justin brought home a book of puzzles and I've discovered that I love arrow-word puzzles.

Oh, and I finished the other book of short stories with an incredibly long name...Noisy Outlaws, Unfriendly Blobs and Some Other Things That Aren't as Scary.........(there's more to the title). It had some really cute stories in it. The Gaiman story was probably my favorite. "Sunbird" is what it's called.

Ruthful
12-04-2008, 01:22 PM
The Year of Living Biblically is a great book. The only major problem I had with it was the insistence by A.J. Jacobs that The Bible conform to his own political/philosophical values, especially on certain issues, e.g. gay rights. Perhaps the Old Testament is completely wrong on this subject-after all, it's probably a good thing that we don't stone people to death for not observing Noachide law-but I don't think that means that a moral, biblical code necessarily has to dovetail with the values of a liberal New Yorker in the 21st century.

It's like the debate my friend is having with some ostensibly libertarian feminists. His P.O.V., which is eminently sensible, IMO, is that regardless of the merits of certain feminist positions the goals of feminism should not be adopted by the libertarian movement if and when they conflict with the spread of liberty and protection of property rights.

jhanic
12-05-2008, 05:46 AM
Just finished Tales of Beedle the Bard. I enjoyed it--it IS a kid's book, but the notes by Dumbledore were also very entertaining. Of course, I tutor reading to first graders, so that may have influenced my opinions of the stories as well.

John

Matt
12-05-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm listening The Host by the woman that wrote those Vampire books that are so popular these days...Stephanie something.

It's adult fiction at least, pretty good so far. The reader is a woman I have heard before on another book so that's cool.

Heather19
12-05-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm listening The Host by the woman that wrote those Vampire books that are so popular these days...Stephanie something.

It's adult fiction at least, pretty good so far. The reader is a woman I have heard before on another book so that's cool.

I keep seeing this one around and was curious if it was any good or not. Let me know what you think when you're finished.

Disincarnate
12-07-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy right now.

Also, has anyone read Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis? It was fantastic. I suggest it to everyone!

3 DOORS DOWN
12-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm reading Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Adams Book 2 in the Gentleman Bastard sequence,excellent read.

fernandito
12-07-2008, 02:10 PM

I want to read this book as well, hopefully before the movie is released :D

How you liking it so far?

Disincarnate
12-07-2008, 09:25 PM

I want to read this book as well, hopefully before the movie is released :D

How you liking it so far?

I like it a lot because it's a really fast read and the author gets right into the action. His writing style is really unique as well. Short chapters with minimal punctuation. It's different. So far it seems like the story is going to be pretty interesting. I hear it's really depressing though. We shall see.

idk, my bff jill?
12-08-2008, 05:26 AM
http://www.librerialuces.com/fotos/9788437607009.jpg

It's for Spanish Lit class, but I always enjoy reading it.

Just finished "Dress Your Family In Corduroy And Denim" by David Sedaris and loved it. :)