PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Brice
08-28-2008, 09:14 AM
The people who have yet to read it makes me sad. You people really should be reading it.

Daghain
08-28-2008, 09:15 AM
It's good. You should read it. :)

fernandito
08-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Everyone has read Heart Shaped Box but me. :(

I haven't either. I intend to, but every time I go to the bookstore order books online I end up getting something else.

I have that same exact problem!

And it's not limitied to novels, it's also comics, dvd's, video games - the list goes on and on. Sometimes I have to give my siblings the money and ask them to get it for me, lest I walk away with $100 worth of stuff.

"Why don't you go get it?"

"JUST.GO. (twitch)"

theBeamisHome
08-28-2008, 09:32 AM
:rofl: everytime we'd be in a store and passing the book section my lil sister would grab my arm.. 'come ON Ayse!'. Now it's Nigel's job to make sure i don't spend my life's savings (not much) on books and the such. And i have to make sure he doesn't spend all his on games.

Brice
08-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Feev, calm down. If you don't you'll have an aneurysm trying to decide which movies, books, comics, and video game you should buy.

Rjeso
08-28-2008, 09:46 AM

I haven't either. I intend to, but every time I go to the bookstore order books online I end up getting something else.

Same here, I've heard such good things about it. I'm always bad at remembering the lists of books, CDs, games, etc. that I mean to buy -- the minute I walk in the store, I promptly forget them all. :lol:

Rjeso
08-28-2008, 09:56 AM
And NOW I've started American Gods. I started last night, I'm 117 pages in and I love it.

Isn't it great? Have you read Anansi Boys yet? If not, that should be your follow-up.

Also, there's a short story about Shadow in Fragile Things. It's called Monarch of the Glen.

fernandito
08-28-2008, 09:58 AM
And then read The Sandman, even if you don't like graphic novels. :)

Tiffany
08-28-2008, 10:24 AM
I don't have anything against graphic novels so I'll try that out. I've been keeping an eye out for Anansi Boys at my favorite bookstore. If I can't find it, I'll have to get it full price.

But yeah, it's great so far. It almost makes me wish my subway ride home was a little longer so I had more time to read. I'll have plenty of time over the weekend.

I think it was DarkThoughts that posted a great list (which I printed out). So I'm going to try and pick 'em all up.

MonteGss
08-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Hardcopy book: Cell by Stephen King
Audiobook: Dead I May Well Be by Adrian McKinty

I am enjoying both. :)

Rjeso
08-28-2008, 11:09 AM
And then read The Sandman, even if you don't like graphic novels. :)

...This really goes without saying. Or at least it should.

Heather19
08-28-2008, 03:03 PM
I've got a silly question about Jane Eyre, for those that have read it.
I'm listening to the audiobook so I don't have it written in front of me, but does Mr. Rochester sometimes call Jane, Janet for some reason or am I just mishearing what's being said?
no, you're not mishearing; for example:

He checked himself in his exultation to demand, "But is there anything the matter, Janet, that you come to meet me at such an hour? Is there anything wrong?"

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

The bear is always happy when people enjoy books he loves!

Thanks Jean, I thought I might be going crazy. :couple:
So why does he call her that, is it just his pet name for her, or was there something behind it.

I finished it today on my way to work. It really was a wonderful book. I can't believe I had waited so long to read it.

Jean
08-28-2008, 09:53 PM
I haven't yet, but I am going to, and very soon!

Thanks to a very dear friend of mine I have it now... it is still in the suitcase in the middle of the room along with other books I brought from London and haven't read yet... I have no room for them, so I decided to solve the problem one step at a time: I read a book, and find place for it. I thought it was easier to find room for one book... then for another book... etc than for 30 pounds of books at once.

Heather19: I have no idea why he calls her so! I've been reading this book since I remember myself, so I think there must be lots of questions it never even occured to me to ask; this book and every word of it is a given. I'm so happy you loved it, too! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Darkthoughts
08-29-2008, 02:08 AM
I don't have anything against graphic novels so I'll try that out. I've been keeping an eye out for Anansi Boys at my favorite bookstore. If I can't find it, I'll have to get it full price.

Tiffany, have you tried Amazon? I get most of my books second hand from there so cheaply - even international postage is regulated so it doesn't cost much.

Heather and Jean: I'm fairly sure that Jane is a diminutive of Janet, hence Rochester calling her such. That's what it says in my name book, not sure how accurate it is :)

Unfound One
08-29-2008, 07:38 AM
So I started Eclipse yesterday at 2, finished it at 8, went to Target to buy Breaking Dawn, started it at 9, and finished it this morning at 4.

I'm ridiculous. But they were good. Really good.

Daghain
08-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Stop that! I'm waiting for the paperbacks! :lol:

Seymour_Glass
08-29-2008, 12:57 PM
So I started Eclipse yesterday at 2, finished it at 8, went to Target to buy Breaking Dawn, started it at 9, and finished it this morning at 4.

I'm ridiculous. But they were good. Really good.

That is truly hardcore.:clap:

Heather19
08-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Heather and Jean: I'm fairly sure that Jane is a diminutive of Janet, hence Rochester calling her such. That's what it says in my name book, not sure how accurate it is :)

Thanks, that makes sense now!

Unfound One
08-29-2008, 03:02 PM

How can you wait?!?!?

leaveittobeezer
08-29-2008, 03:53 PM
A MUST READ! Epicenter by Joel C. Rosenberg
Very spooky nonfiction (concerning the Middle-east, Israel, Iran, Russia's involvement & possible Doom'sday scenarios) After reading approximately half of it I'm having trouble sleeping nights.

fernandito
08-29-2008, 08:41 PM
After I finish Prisoner of Azkaban, I'm planning on taking a break from the two series' that I'm reading to read 2 non-series books from authors I have yet to read. One of them will definitely be Hill's Heart Shaped Box, and the other.... I don't know yet. Any suggestions? :cowboy:

Darkthoughts
08-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Yep! Storm Front by Jim Butcher, it's a magical kinda crime thing...really good!

fernandito
08-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks Lisa, I'll check it out on Amazon in a little bit. :)

Daghain
08-30-2008, 09:51 AM

How can you wait?!?!?

It's not easy. I'm sure I'm going to cave soon because of all the hype. :)

I do have a TON of books I want to read, though, so we'll see. I do love a good vampire story.

Unfound One
08-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Ha, aparently I do too...
What are some other good vampire novels? Other than 'Salem's Lot, Twilight was my first experience with vamps...

The Lady of Shadows
08-30-2008, 11:22 AM
charlaine harris' sookie stackhouse series is really good.

i used to read the anita blake series by laurell k. hamilton but she just got waaaaaay to freaky for my taste. in the beginning it was excellent. now she's all about the weird sex. i like my vampire novels and my erotica in two separate books say thankya.

have you ever read simon r. green's nightside series? it's not about vampires, it's about the secret world that hides around and behind london. excellent series, really excellent. and they are short books too (sadly).

Unfound One
08-30-2008, 11:26 AM
charlaine harris' sookie stackhouse series is really good.

i used to read the anita blake series by laurell k. hamilton but she just got waaaaaay to freaky for my taste. in the beginning it was excellent. now she's all about the weird sex. i like my vampire novels and my erotica in two separate books say thankya.

have you ever read simon r. green's nightside series? it's not about vampires, it's about the secret world that hides around and behind london. excellent series, really excellent. and they are short books too (sadly).

Anita Blake series sounds right up my alley... :evil:
Ahem.
But seriously, thanks for the recs - I'll have to check them out!

Darkthoughts
08-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Check out Code 61 by Donald Harstad too, really original take on a vampire novel.

Also the Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan.

You've read Bram Stoker's Dracula, right?

Hornet of Death
08-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Nothing from King right now. I'm reading Level 9 by Rambo creator David Morell. His last book was very good but I'm now 50 pages into the new one and I'm not eager to read further. We'll see.

fernandito
08-30-2008, 08:46 PM
I MUST HAVE THESE:

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/mistborntfe.jpg

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/liesoflocklamora.jpg

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/elantris.jpg

Has anyone here read any of these?

Rjeso
08-31-2008, 08:59 AM
No, but they look like they'd be right up my alley...

Daghain
08-31-2008, 09:42 AM
Ha, aparently I do too...
What are some other good vampire novels? Other than 'Salem's Lot, Twilight was my first experience with vamps...

I remember Fred Saberhagen having a good vampire series, I just discovered they are all available from Abe Books for about $1.00 each in paperback.

I was 16 or so when I first read them, so I'm wondering if I'll still like them. I do remember reading them several times when I was in high school.

One of them was Bram Stoker's Dracula told from the vampire's perspective. :)

Unfound One
08-31-2008, 01:10 PM
I actually haven't read Dracula... as crazy as that sounds.
Yay though, I'm glad to have a list of books now, thanks friends. :grouphug:

Daghain
08-31-2008, 01:53 PM
:o

You totally need to read Dracula!

Unfound One
08-31-2008, 01:59 PM
I know I know!

I will. I need to find a cheap used copy somewhere.

Daghain
08-31-2008, 02:05 PM
That shouldn't be too hard. :)

Heather19
08-31-2008, 02:39 PM
You can find Dracula for free on Project Gutenberg, and audio on Librivox I believe.

educatedlady
08-31-2008, 07:15 PM
I am about to start reading The Hellbound Heart. I have seen hellraiser so many times that I figure it is about time to read the story. :D

Ka-mai
08-31-2008, 08:41 PM
I just reread Fight Club.

For some reason, I didn't like it much this time around. I remembered it as kind of... I can't think of the exact words I want, but kind of edgy and groundbreaking and all that, and this time when I read it, it seemed more like Palahniuk was trying to make it those things, and falling a little short.

I don't like Palahniuk much anyway. I probably just got over how much I liked the movie and read the book for itself this time around, and that's what happened.

Unfound One
08-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Fight Club might be better as a movie... and I don't say that often.

I'm currently reading Who's Afraid of a Large Black Man? by Charles Barkley. It's for a course I'm taking right now called "Thugs, Preps, and Playas: Approaches to Masculinity." I'm pretty pumped for this class...

Daghain
09-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Wow. That right there is proof there's a college class for everything. :lol:

Patrick
09-01-2008, 01:12 PM
"A work of ruthless psychological realism, it’s a landmark in the graphic novel medium. It would be a masterpiece in any."
–TIME, TIME MAGAZINE’s 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to the present

I'm finally reading WATCHMEN.

fernandito
09-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Make sure to re-read it before the movies comes out!

:D

Patrick
09-01-2008, 01:15 PM
:lol: Seeing the trailer for the movie is one of the reasons I'm now getting around to reading it the first time.

fernandito
09-01-2008, 01:19 PM
That's the same thing that happened to my brother. When I first read it, I kept bugging him to read it as well, but he's not really into graphic novels so he turned it down. After he saw the trailer , he said to me "Damn, you got me - I need to read that now."

Patrick
09-01-2008, 01:47 PM
The difference is that I always planned to read it, mainly because of positive, verging on evangelical, word of mouth. Seeing the movie trailer just gave me the kick in the ass that I needed.

Sorox the Gunslinger
09-01-2008, 02:24 PM
I just started the the DT series again. Almost finished with book one....again.

jhanic
09-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Are you reading the original or the revised version of The Gunslinger?

John

bluelph24
09-01-2008, 06:05 PM
the Curious Case of Benjamin Button - F. Scott Fitzgerald

just a short story, then i start Wicked

fernandito
09-01-2008, 07:58 PM
I ordered Elantris from Amazon a little while ago, hopefully I'll have it by this Thursday! :dance:

bluelph24
09-02-2008, 02:57 PM
oh, i am also reading:
The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald
The Stranger by Camus

both for english

jhanic
09-02-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm going to start reading my copy of the Just After Sunset proof I got today.

John

fernandito
09-02-2008, 04:00 PM
I ordered Elantris from Amazon a little while ago, hopefully I'll have it by this Thursday! :dance:

Wait, nevermind - it's only shipping on the 4th. <_<

I'll read IT meanwhile... I guess.....

Heather19
09-02-2008, 04:05 PM
You sound so thrilled about that :lol:
What page are you up to now? And you do know I'm going to keep bugging you until you finish.

fernandito
09-02-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm on page 320! And it's okay, bug away! :couple:

Heather19
09-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Good, you're about a third of the way, not too much more left!

JQ The Gunslinger
09-02-2008, 06:37 PM
IT is great.

Unfound One
09-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Fact.

Brice
09-02-2008, 10:54 PM

John

Did you get the full proof now? Or did you mean the sampler you'd gotten?

jhanic
09-03-2008, 04:13 AM

John

Did you get the full proof now? Or did you mean the sampler you'd gotten?

The full proof. It only has two stories I haven't yet read, N. and New York Times, but I read the NYT story last night and I'll be reading N. today.

John

Brice
09-03-2008, 04:24 AM
Cool!

So, how long has it been since you've waited for a SK book to be released before reading it, John? It seems as long as I've seen you around you were getting them all before they came out. What was the last King book you had to wait on?

jhanic
09-03-2008, 04:32 AM
It was probably the paperback edition of The Colorado Kid. I don't think any proofs were done for that one. (There were no proofs done for Faithful, either).

John

Brice
09-03-2008, 04:37 AM
Okay, one more question then, which was the last one you waited on/had to wait on that there was a proof of?

I'm sure advance copies of Colorado Kid were sent to bookstores though. I borrowed it from my local Waldenbooks early. They were identical to the actual release.

jhanic
09-03-2008, 04:41 AM
Probably the Desperation/Regulators editions. I did get a proof of Rose Madder when it came out, and I know I didn't have any of The Green Mile proofs back then.

John

Brice
09-03-2008, 04:46 AM
I have yet to get any real proofs prior to release. I have been lucky enough to read some early though. When DT VII came out I actually sat in the back storage room at the bookstore reading it all day. :)

jhanic
09-03-2008, 04:52 AM
This all comes back to one of the reasons (maybe the real reason) that I collect proofs--I like the thought that I'm reading something that almost no-one else has read! Maybe childish, but that's me!

John

Brice
09-03-2008, 04:56 AM
Oh, it was the same feeling for me on those occasions when I could read them early. I hung out so much at this bookstore that I could sit in the back room and read whatever hadn't been released. I'd just always be there. Now, my current roommate, my best friend, and most of all my closest real life friends came from that same bookstore. While someone else always managed to claim most of the advance King I did get some promo stuff there also as it came in.

jhanic
09-03-2008, 04:59 AM
And that promotional stuff was often pretty neat too!

John

Brice
09-03-2008, 05:11 AM
Yes, indeed it was!

Patrick
09-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Great questions for John, Brice. Enjoy your proof, John.

Seymour_Glass
09-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Very spooky nonfiction (concerning the Middle-east, Israel, Iran, Russia's involvement & possible Doom'sday scenarios) After reading approximately half of it I'm having trouble sleeping nights.

Sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

jayson
09-04-2008, 03:26 AM

Sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

It'd be much better filed under fiction. It's yet another attempt to use religious scripture and current events to predict a doomsday scenario. It may be more well-researched on the modern end of things than other books like this, but it still bases many of it's claims on "prophecies" of a biblical character who may or may not have even been a real person let alone able to predict future events. Like I said, as a work of fiction it might be a better read.

Tiffany
09-04-2008, 05:38 AM
Finished American Gods.

AMAZING. I really loved it. Everything about it. I had that "WOW!" feeling when I finished it.

Then I picked up Watchmen. Do you italicize a graphic novel or does it get quotation marks?

Anyway, that was fuckin' awesome, too. I meant to pick up a few Sandman books, Feve, but they're pretty expensive. Stupid Canadian book prices. I've added them to my Amazon wishlist so I'll try and get them there. (Darkthoughts, thanks for the heads up on international shipping there being regulated!)

fernandito
09-04-2008, 06:23 AM
Yeah, get them through Amazon, you get much better deals there.

And I hope you enjoy Watchmen! :D

Tiffany
09-04-2008, 06:37 AM
I did. It was pretty sweet. And I mean sweet as in wicked, not kittens.

fernandito
09-04-2008, 07:50 AM
I thought you meant sweet as in a diabetic coma :rofl:

Let us (me) know what you think of the first book when you finish it. I started a Sandman thread in Dutch Hill if you want to hit that up. :)

Tiffany
09-04-2008, 07:54 AM
I'm all over that. I'll have a chance to look at the BMV I get all my books at this weekend. They usually have 'em cheap, cheap. Hopefully, they'll have a copy or two.

I'll keep an eye out for other Gaiman books, too. I really loved American Gods.

Bluenose
09-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Just finished Homicide : A Year On The Killing Streets. Very good, very enjoyable (especially as you can see where some of hte stories, anecdotes and stories have made their way through to The Wire and obviously, the show Homicide Life On The Street). David Simons has a very...conversational writing style. He starts to tell you about a case, then breaks off to tell a story about the detective investigating it, then goes back to the case.

Matt
09-04-2008, 09:17 AM
That sounds really cool.

I'm listening to Darkly Dreaming Dexter right now, pretty fun.

Daghain
09-04-2008, 09:49 AM
I may have to move American Gods up on my reading list - looks like it's getting a lot of good reviews here.

fernandito
09-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Yup, you need to move it up to #1. You won't regret it :)

Jean
09-04-2008, 10:24 AM
I think I can read King again! (thank you all my friends who helped me with your advice in I Need Help thread) I will resume Duma Key tonight, and if I really can read, that will be the happiest moment! I had loved it so much before I had to stop.

Daghain
09-04-2008, 10:35 AM
That's great, Jean! I'll cross my fingers (and toes) for you. :)

Jean
09-04-2008, 10:44 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif

The Lady of Shadows
09-04-2008, 10:50 AM
:couple:
:excited:
:nana: :nana:

Adumbros
09-04-2008, 11:12 AM
lately into Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show and Everville; also into Lee Child's Jack Reacher series; as well as keeping SK in the mix with Duma Key. Can't friggin find Imajica by Barker n it's pissin me off.

Adumbros
09-04-2008, 11:14 AM
That sounds really cool.

I'm listening to Darkly Dreaming Dexter right now, pretty fun.

VERY good series. Jeff Lindsay. have you gotten into the Showtime series yet?

Darkthoughts
09-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Really enjoying Water For Elephants, not at all what I expected!

Tiffany, I'm so glad you loved American Gods - it blew me away too first time (and second...ad infinitum :D ) If you read Anansi Boys you'll be greeted by some familiar characters :thumbsup:

If you liked Watchmen you have to read V For Vendetta and erase the memory of that atrocious film forever!! :lol:

fernandito
09-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Can't friggin find Imajica by Barker n it's pissin me off.

I ♥ Imajica.

Have you tried Amazon yet?

Daghain
09-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Really enjoying Water For Elephants, not at all what I expected!

It wasn't what I expected, either - but I really enjoyed it!

Darkthoughts
09-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Totally - it was a case of a bad summary write up on the back cover...if I'd picked it up in a bookstore and read the back I would have thought "Bleck! Crappy lovestory!" but it's way more :thumbsup:

Adumbros
09-04-2008, 11:26 AM
actually i'm broke. :(( i meant as far as the public libraries.

jayson
09-04-2008, 11:27 AM
If you liked Watchmen you have to read V For Vendetta and erase the memory of that atrocious film forever!! :lol:

I'm not even gonna bother seeing the movie for Watchmen. I'll keep my memories of the book pure. Sorry Feev, don't shoot me.

Daghain
09-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Totally - it was a case of a bad summary write up on the back cover...if I'd picked it up in a bookstore and read the back I would have thought "Bleck! Crappy lovestory!" but it's way more :thumbsup:

That's exactly what I thought! My boss loaned me the book, and after reading the back, I was all "oh great, this will be fun". Turns out she knows my tastes pretty well. :)

jhanic
09-04-2008, 11:36 AM
You have a nice boss!

John

Adumbros
09-04-2008, 11:38 AM
hey if anyone sees brice let him kno i couldn't stick around i only got 20 minutes to get to the P.O. and it'll prob take 15 to get there. laters.

btw~ ne1 who's interested in SK should check out this creepy lil book called "I Shudder At Your Touch."

Darkthoughts
09-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Jayson - I haven't seen the film either...if it's not good enough for Alan Moore...:thumbsup:

jayson
09-04-2008, 11:46 AM
...if it's not good enough for Alan Moore...:thumbsup:

Oh what does he know, all he did was create the thing :P

Darkthoughts
09-04-2008, 11:55 AM
:lol:

Daghain
09-04-2008, 12:03 PM
You have a nice boss!

John

I do. :)

fernandito
09-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Jayson - I haven't seen the film either...if it's not good enough for Alan Moore...:thumbsup:

Dude, nothing is good enough for Alan Moore.

He'd probably go on a revolution against the usage of spoons if he could.

Darkthoughts
09-04-2008, 12:16 PM
:lol: That's why I like the cantankerous old bastard :cool:

Adumbros
09-04-2008, 12:43 PM
i can see this has become a random thoughts thread :D

Patrick
09-04-2008, 04:46 PM
1) AMERICAN GODS was very good, I liked ANANSI BOYS even better.

2) I'm on Volume 8 of THE SANDMAN series. Obviously the fact that I've stuck around to be reading the eighth book tells you my opinion.

3) I put aside the Sandman stories temporarily to read WATCHMEN. I love it.

4) Just about to finish THE MAN WHO LOVED CHINA. Interesting biography.

5) My next non-"graphic novel" is probably going to be INSOMNIA. Finally.

Seymour_Glass
09-04-2008, 04:50 PM
My mom is going to read it.

Brice
09-05-2008, 12:36 AM
hey if anyone sees brice let him kno i couldn't stick around i only got 20 minutes to get to the P.O. and it'll prob take 15 to get there. laters.

btw~ ne1 who's interested in SK should check out this creepy lil book called "I Shudder At Your Touch."

I saw this. I'm here sporadically the last few days, but I read every post.

I Shudder At Your Touch is a nice little anthology. I have all the books you listed that you've been reading with the exception of the Lee Child books.

I have Imagica too. You need to read it as soon as you.

fernandito
09-05-2008, 12:32 PM
I got Elantris in the mail today! :dance:

Darkthoughts
09-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Daggers - awesome shout on Water For Elephants!! Just finished it...amazing...I wouldn't have ever thought to have picked it up if you hadn't mentioned it :couple:

B Rag
09-05-2008, 08:48 PM
I've just started on A Clockwork Orange! :panic:

fernandito
09-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Viddy well, little droogie! Viddy well!

Daghain
09-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Daggers - awesome shout on Water For Elephants!! Just finished it...amazing...I wouldn't have ever thought to have picked it up if you hadn't mentioned it :couple:

Glad you liked it!

Patrick
09-07-2008, 03:59 PM
I decided to read this short book. I'll read INSOMNIA next.

http://www.exorcising-ghosts.co.uk/images/running(US).jpg

Daghain
09-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Just finished a reread of Everything's Eventual and am reading Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison.

fernandito
09-08-2008, 10:06 AM
A couple dozen pages into Elantris - so far so good. :)

The Lady of Shadows
09-08-2008, 07:56 PM
my reading abilities (read - ability to concentrate) have gone way down. i'm still trying to get through house of leaves. stil reading up high in the trees.

listening to insomnia. i think i'm falling in love with ralph roberts and joe wyzer. :wub:

lophophoras
09-09-2008, 03:34 AM
I have found myself reading short stories and novellas recently.

Am currently reading the other stories in F&SF. After reading SK's (which i really liked), I figured I should read the rest of them. After that I will read through the September issue of Asimov's Science Fiction

As soon as I am through with those two, I plan on reading a chapbook called "Witching Hour Theatre" by Craig Shaeffer.

:)

Daghain
09-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Just finished Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison and am currently reading On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God, also by Louise Rennison.

alinda
09-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Still re-reading Liseys Story. :rose:Bool-Ya!:rose:

Heather19
09-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Started Choke the other day. Not too far in, but so far so good. I'm hoping to have it finished by the time the film comes out.

Tiffany
09-11-2008, 06:12 AM
I plan on stopping by the BMV (used books) to find Anansi Boys. I think I might also pick up some of the Dark Tower audio books. Justin is a huge reader and liked some King books....he liked all the Lord of the Rings but he's never too enthused about DT.

I thought that I wouldn't mind having someone read the books to me and maybe he'll listen with me. How could anyone resist that very first line?

Edit: Just finished The Children of Men. It was good. Much less violent than the movie...I think had the movie followed the book to the t, audiences would have been bored. It was a great read, though.

jayson
09-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Edit: Just finished The Children of Men. It was good. Much less violent than the movie...I think had the movie followed the book to the t, audiences would have been bored. It was a great read, though.

I never read the book but I did see the movie. I thought it was boring as it was. If it could have been even more boring I'd probably have shot myself for wasting 2 hours.

Tiffany
09-11-2008, 06:46 AM

I never read the book but I did see the movie. I thought it was boring as it was. If it could have been even more boring I'd probably have shot myself for wasting 2 hours.

The book had much fewer explosions. In fact, I don't think anything exploded.

It was good. A little slow at the beginning but it's not really a very long book.

Adumbros
09-11-2008, 07:00 AM
I've read Imajica, Brice...i wanna get it again. btw, you would prob enjoy the Lee Child series. Start with Killing Floor. this dude is fuckin good; even King himself has raved about the guy, and its not even King's genre.

currently reading From A Buick 8. not as lame as the cover makes it seem at all.

just re-read Misery and Everville. I love Clive Barker, but he really needs to get the fuck off his ass and start releasing some of these long-awaited sequels! After waiting four effing years, Abarat 3 was due out this month, and now i hear its been last-minute postponed AGAIN! and how long have we waited on the third book of the Art now, fourteen years?!? damn! i understand he's a multimedia genius, comics, movies, books, tv shows, etc., but take some time to slow down and finsih old projects!

Daghain
09-11-2008, 07:37 AM
In addition to the Rennison book, I'm reading The Listeners and Other Poems by Walter de la Mare.

Patrick
09-11-2008, 08:52 PM
I finally just started INSOMNIA for the first time. I like a book where things start getting weird fast. :thumbsup:

bluelph24
09-12-2008, 02:29 AM
Son of a Witch - Maguire

lophophoras
09-12-2008, 02:41 AM
I finally just started INSOMNIA for the first time. I like a book where things start getting weird fast. :thumbsup:

I love Insomnia. The Stand is my favorite of them all but Insomnia is a very close second.

I have gotten sidetracked from fiction and am in the process of reading Llewellyn's 2009 Herbal Almanac.

Brice
09-12-2008, 06:56 AM
I am reading What's Your Story? a collection of very short stories by various author's (including Rowling and Gaiman :rock: ) done as postcards for charity.

Daghain
09-12-2008, 08:06 AM
That sounds really interesting!

jayson
09-12-2008, 08:10 AM
I am reading "John Coltrane" by Bill Cole.

I've actually had this book for a few years and tried to read it when I first got it, but there is a lot of stuff on music theory which I didn't understand at the time. I am still no expert in music theory by any stretch of the imagination, but I know significantly more than I did the last time I attempted to read this book so I thought I'd give it another go. I also thought it'd be a good excuse to listen to a bunch of Trane this weekend (like I really need one).

Adumbros
09-12-2008, 08:42 AM
i am reading this thread! :rofl:

Brice
09-12-2008, 08:43 AM
quite obviously :lol:

Daghain
09-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Finished On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God by Louise Rennison and am reading Knocked Out By My Nunga-Nungas, also by Rennison.

lophophoras
09-15-2008, 02:56 AM
I am reading What's Your Story? a collection of very short stories by various author's (including Rowling and Gaiman :rock: ) done as postcards for charity.

That does sound pretty cool Brice!

I picked up Halloween And Other Seasons by Al Sarrantonio over the weekend. It has a bunch of short stories. Has been very good so far.

steph
09-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Lady Moses by Lucinda Roy.
It is pretty good.

Jackie
09-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Wow Erin i don't know how you could have waited so long to read the Harry Potter series either! i started that in 4th/5th grade [I'm in 11th now] and for the last book i actually went to one of those over night release parties, it was pretty cool.

Right now im reading Firestarter by none other then Sai King

RedLightning
09-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Right now I'm on Ain't My America by Bill Kauffman. And A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold for school. I have Insomnia The Talisman and Black House waiting for me to read them.

fernandito
09-15-2008, 08:59 PM
A couple of new additions :

The Silmarillion by Tolkien
Speaker For The Dead by Orson Scott Card
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

Adumbros
09-16-2008, 05:34 AM

Speaker For The Dead by Orson Scott Card
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

fuckin fantastic.

I myself am 700 pages into It, having just witnessed The Apocalyptic Rockfight.

jayson
09-16-2008, 05:59 AM

Good for you Feev! I've re-read every year since I was 12. Just don't get frustrated that it doesn't read like a novel. It reads much more like a history book with periods of good narrative storytelling here and there. Still, it's rich with detail and really puts LotR in a much deeper perspective.

Adumbros
09-16-2008, 06:03 AM

Good for you Feev! I've re-read every year since I was 12. Just don't get frustrated that it doesn't read like a novel. It reads much more like a history book with periods of good narrative storytelling here and there. Still, it's rich with detail and really puts LotR in a much deeper perspective.

the irony with this is that i recently read an interview with peter "no fucking talent whatsoever" jackson (sorry, i view him as fantasy's answer to quentin tarantino) claiming that NOW they're gonna do a live-action re-telling of the Hobbit to, and i quote, "take it all back to where it started."

yeah, pete, sure you've read the books. jackass.

jayson
09-16-2008, 06:13 AM
the irony with this is that i recently read an interview with peter "no fucking talent whatsoever" jackson (sorry, i view him as fantasy's answer to quentin tarantino) claiming that NOW they're gonna do a live-action re-telling of the Hobbit to, and i quote, "take it all back to where it started."

yeah, pete, sure you've read the books. jackass.

Yeah, I too find PJ to be a hack (just read some of my posts in the LotR threads). The idea that it all started with The Hobbit is yet another perfect illustration of PJ's lack of understanding of the scope of Middle Earth.

Now, I know PJ, or someone in his inner-circle, has read The Silmarillion because there were scenes shot for Return of the King where Sauron was going to come forth from the Barad-Dur as Annatar Lord of Gifts. Without getting too far into the myriad of things wrong with that (like how by that point Sauron could not assume a "fair" guise, or that simple fact that THAT NEVER HAPPENED) it is still clear that someone in the writing crew read The Silmarillion or they wouldn't know of the Annatar persona. To me, it shows that whether he read it or not, he has no respect for it whatsoever and thinks his own ideas are better than Tolkien's.

ps. I do love Tarantino though.

Adumbros
09-16-2008, 06:21 AM
all salient points, friend...

however, i detest tarantino because of his lack of originality. every film he has ever penned save for Jackie Brown was ripped off from highly successful Korean films; the original script of Reservoir Dogs was even partially penned by Akira Toriyama (yes, THAT one). to me, plagiarism is the cardinal sin of the art craft, the one truly unforgivable one, and the fact that he has plagiarized such excellent works, by such renowned (even if not by American standards) artists, and has not only failed to confess it but has, in the wake of a plethora of evidence, repeatedly denied it, should have signalled the death toll 15 years ago.

jayson
09-16-2008, 06:25 AM
all salient points, friend...

however, i detest tarantino because of his lack of originality. every film he has ever penned save for Jackie Brown was ripped off from highly successful Korean films; the original script of Reservoir Dogs was even partially penned by Akira Toriyama (yes, THAT one). to me, plagiarism is the cardinal sin of the art craft, the one truly unforgivable one, and the fact that he has plagiarized such excellent works, by such renowned (even if not by American standards) artists, and has not only failed to confess it but has, in the wake of a plethora of evidence, repeatedly denied it, should have signalled the death toll 15 years ago.

I agree that he has ripped off some of the finest films around, but I've read interviews with him where when confronted about it, he readily admits it, claiming that he was paying homage to these films and was hoping someone would notice because at least it meant other Americans had seen these films. I don't doubt that he's denied it at times as well.

I'd never say he's the most original writer/director out there, but his films are entertaining and he gets great performances from actors I'd never have cast (ie. Travolta). At the very least, I think he has more respect for his source material than PJ does.

Adumbros
09-16-2008, 06:30 AM
true enough on the last point. on the point of him claiming "homage", i would call BULLSHIT to his face. when you "pay homage", there's an effort to expose something that you feel underexposed, not an effort to bury it deeper by claiming credit for it, even if you DO relent later on. a lie is a lie.

Adumbros
09-16-2008, 06:34 AM
now i think on it, his very talent is the most distressing part of the whole equation. he's kinda like the dennis rodman of the movies: so much ability, so much tenacity, so much versatility, but almost reveling in the ability to shit all over it. it's like those kind of guys delight in the mockery of Loser-ness by acting like they invented it, when in truth, well..

ever notice how in the late 80s/early 90s jocks were dissin all over ADIDAS, and then all of a sudden mid-90s on they act like they invented the damn things? kinda like that is the best way i can think of puttin it.

jayson
09-16-2008, 06:37 AM
now i think on it, his very talent is the most distressing part of the whole equation. he's kinda like the dennis rodman of the movies: so much ability, so much tenacity, so much versatility, but almost reveling in the ability to shit all over it. it's like those kind of guys delight in the mockery of Loser-ness by acting like they invented it, when in truth, well..

ever notice how in the late 80s/early 90s jocks were dissin all over ADIDAS, and then all of a sudden mid-90s on they act like they invented the damn things? kinda like that is the best way i can think of puttin it.

Interesting analogy to Rodman. I'm hoping history will remember him as one of the greatest rebounders in NBA history and not the for-the-media freakshow he presented himself as late in his career.

At least Run-DMC were honest about their love of Adidas. :)

Adumbros
09-16-2008, 06:48 AM
touche. what is MOST sad about Rodman is that even as the rebounder he was hailed for he undercut himself. did you know that once, as a Piston, Rodman had a game in which he singlehandedly dominated the Denver Nuggets, leading the Pistons in scoring (over 40 points), rebounds (his usual over 20), assists (9), steals (4), and blocked shots(5), all while shooting better than 60% from the floor and ruling the charity stripe? much as i admired jordan (who i never believed the ace everyone claimed him to be; i, unlike most, remember his MANY weak points prior to the first retirement), i often wonder if, at full potential, Dennis Rodman may not have gone down as the single greatest player in NBA history. The man was truly an Oscar Robertson of his time, able to do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted to do it. Jordan himself admitted that. He stated once that "on the rare occasions Dennis speaks, everybody shuts the fuck up and listens. Coach. Me. Everybody."

DMC was a truly progressive work of art. :thumbsup:

jayson
09-16-2008, 06:54 AM
Rodman was underrated for sure. Glad to see you mention Robertson. I don't think anyone will ever be quite as good as the Big O. When someone else puts up career numbers that average a triple-double, only then should the conversation of greatest player ever be revisited. There have been better pure shooters, better pure defensive players, better pure rebounders, but there has never been anyone who could come close to putting the total game together night after night, year after year the way Robertson did.

Daghain
09-16-2008, 06:57 AM
You guys need to start a thread in the movie section. This is fascinating.

Just finished Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas by Louise Rennison and am reading Dancing in My Nuddy-Pants by the same author.

These books are cracking me up. :lol:

Adumbros
09-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Rodman was underrated for sure. Glad to see you mention Robertson. I don't think anyone will ever be quite as good as the Big O. When someone else puts up career numbers that average a triple-double, only then should the conversation of greatest player ever be revisited. There have been better pure shooters, better pure defensive players, better pure rebounders, but there has never been anyone who could come close to putting the total game together night after night, year after year the way Robertson did.

indeed. Oscar is truly my favorite player, even though he never played a minute for my fave team (Boston). I would have a hard time with best pure shooter...maybe Reggie Miller comes to mind. That motherfucker was a beast with the ball in his hands, and the more it mattered, the deadlier he was. yes, I would take Miller over Larry Legend, as astounding as that may sound.

Best pure defensive player: Wilt Chamberlain. No one else has ever come close to leading the league in both steals and blocks.

Best pure rebounder: even more than Rodman, Bill Russell. Ol' B-Russ went toe-to-toe with Wilt, who was at least 5 inches taller, and constantly dominated him, usually outrebounding him by 20 caroms or more.

I like the way you debate. Most "fans" have little if any education beyond the first game they ever witnessed, and also want to base their arguments on who did the most (i.e., the argument for Jordan or Kobe as best scorer) or the most often (i.e. Stockton for best point guard...but let's be realistic, when situations are tailor-made specifically for a player, then his stock plummets in my books).

You would make an interesting co-anchor on a sports-talk show, altho i highly doubt ESPN would ever take notice of either of us.

Jean
09-16-2008, 07:23 AM
guys... did you get Daghain's subtle hint? this is a What are you currently reading? thread.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/thaku.gif

educatedlady
09-16-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm re-reading Dracula because I just got a copy of it that has a bunch of critical essays included. Even when I'm not in school I geek out over critical essays. lol.

Adumbros
09-16-2008, 08:20 AM
also reading Thinner, which is the book that most proves my affection for Brice and my ability to put others before self. I found a paperback 1st edition of the book in a mom-and-pop store for !!!!89cents!!!! several years back, and immediately thought of him, and sent it to him for his b-day.

Brice
09-16-2008, 08:22 AM
also reading Thinner, which is the book that most proves my affection for Brice and my ability to put others before self. I found a paperback 1st edition of the book in a mom-and-pop store for !!!!89cents!!!! several years back, and immediately thought of him, and sent it to him for his b-day.

Wasn't it you the First of The Running Man came from?

I am reading Venus Plus X by Theodore Sturgeon... among several others I've already listed.

Adumbros
09-16-2008, 10:10 AM

Wasn't it you the First of The Running Man came from?

I am reading Venus Plus X by Theodore Sturgeon... among several others I've already listed.

could be. i know i got you the first of Thinner. altho admittedly i haven't had much time for treasure-hunting these last few years. however, i plan to renew my packratting habits very soon. in fact, i found something that i intend to get two copies of if at all possible: 1st edition signed hardcover of Carrie.

next project after It and Thinner will probably be to find a copy of Rage. been a good long while since i read that.

Heather19
09-16-2008, 03:10 PM

My favorite. I get excited whenever I hear someone's reading it. Is this your first time, or have you previously read it?

Daghain
09-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Just finished The Listeners and Other Poems by Walter de la Mare and am starting Collected Poems by Philip Larkin. I only get a 1/2 hour lunch, so I find it easier to keep a poetry book around to kill time - I have more time at home to read books. This explains my weird parallel reading habits - poetry at work and brain candy at home. :lol:

Adumbros
09-17-2008, 07:56 AM

My favorite. I get excited whenever I hear someone's reading it. Is this your first time, or have you previously read it?

No verily...In fact, every time I read it, I keep expecting Stan to haul off and pop Richie in the fuckin mouth for some of his rather tasteless (even by Trashmouth standards) Jewish cracks.

Ruthful
09-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Too many books to enumerate here, but here are a few of them,

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex, by Mary Roach

The Case Against Immigration, by Michael Krikorian

Yours, Jack, which is basically a condensed version of a collection of letters penned by C.S. Lewis.

Lust, Caution, by Eileen Chang

I'm also rereading The Bell Jar.

Tiffany
09-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Re-reading Everything's Eventual.

I read LSofE when I first got it about a month ago and felt sort of soothed at being reunited with Roland (even if only for a short time).

I forgot how creepy "The Man in the Black Suit" was. I'm now in the middle of "Everything's Eventual."

Prior to this, I finished The Coma by Alex Garland. I picked it up because I really enjoyed The Beach. Wish I could say the same for the other.

Adumbros
09-18-2008, 07:13 AM
ready to start on Thinner, finally, having completed the near-Biblical tome that is It.

Ka-tet
09-18-2008, 10:24 AM
The Dark Tower V: Do i even need to say the title of this book?...

Jean
09-18-2008, 10:26 AM
The Dark Tower V: Do i even need to say the title of this book?...
say it! say it! it's my favorite of them all, I love to see it mentioned no matter how often!

Ka-tet
09-18-2008, 10:35 AM
WOLVES OF THE CALLA!!!!

177 pages in two days, and thats just at breaks in college >.<

Adumbros
09-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Even though i can't call it my fave, i did think that it was overall the best. yes, granted, song of susannah was nonstop action. but the story in WOTC was INCREDIBLE. for once in the set, King had actually introduced characters outside the ka-tet that were more than just subtle, wet paper imitations of a cast, and the work he did with those characters was outstanding.

Jean
09-18-2008, 10:57 AM
WOLVES OF THE CALLA!!!!

177 pages in two days, and thats just at breaks in college >.<
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

frankybeans
09-18-2008, 12:59 PM
check out the amazon kindle. digital book. its cool stuff. you can download entire books for 1 dollar

Adumbros
09-18-2008, 01:09 PM
i'm actually on the shelf for His Dark Materials trilogy once i finish Thinner. (for those not in the know, the movie The Golden Compass was based off of HDM Volume I: Northern Lights.)

leaveittobeezer
09-18-2008, 03:01 PM
just got done reading Watchmen & all i can say is...wow

btw frankybeans i bought the kindle in June & i gotta say i love it. most books are more than a dollar but they're a helluva lot cheaper than if you would buy' em at borders

fernandito
09-18-2008, 07:45 PM
just got done reading Watchmen & all i can say is...wow

Excellent! :D

Are you a comics/GN fan in general, or did you pick it up after watching the movie trailer?

Unfound One
09-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Yay, another Watchmen fan. :D
I need to read it again (a couple times) before the film.

Currently Reading: Man Gone Down by Michael Thomas

Sol
09-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Currently re-reading/buying Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis and Darrick Robertson.

I love this comic series! ^_^

leaveittobeezer
09-19-2008, 11:20 AM
I used to collect comics ages ago, & just recently began collecting again.
Started with the DT adaptations, then i picked up Watchmen after seeing the trailer. One book that I never got around to reading years ago was the Sandman. Picked up the first 3 series (Preludes & Nocturnes, The Doll's House, & Dream Country) & devoured them. I've always loved Neil Gaiman but never bothered to read Sandman before now. Soooooooo good!

Adumbros
09-19-2008, 11:28 AM
i used to collect comics myself; i never re-started because the modern shit just isn't anywhere near as good. the last comic i remember buying was X-Men:Omega, and though i reveled highly in the Age of Apocalypse series, even then the quality of comic books was in serious decline. I haven't been able to pick anything up since, and it's sad, because when i did collect, i had shit you wouldn't believe; i.e. Uncanny X-Men #1, Amazing Fantasy #15, Incredible Hulk #180, Amazing Spiderman #345, Secret Wars #8/Web of Spiderman #18/Amazing Spiderman #300, etc. etc. but once the concept fell from grace, i couldn't even bring myself to keep any of those; alas, the only comics i currently own at all are the Age of Apocalype set and its four-book predecessor, Legion Quest.

shame.

3 DOORS DOWN
09-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Currently reading Revelation the 4th book in the Matthew Shardlake series by
C. J. SANSOM a murder mystery based in tudor times.It's the first murder mystery
book I've read and turned out very good.
My next book to read is book 2 in the Locke Lamora series by Scott Lynch Red seas
under red skies

fernandito
09-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Still working my way through Elantris (Brandon Sanderson), and I've also started my reread of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. :)

Adumbros
09-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Still working my way through Elantris (Brandon Sanderson), and I've also started my reread of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. :)

Gaiman is indeed the shiznit. Neverwhere was da bomb.

Beamer82
09-19-2008, 11:40 AM
I am currently re-reading Lord of the Rings...after the Dark Tower series I couldn't bear the thought of heading back to reality....so it's back to middle earth I go! :P

Sol
09-19-2008, 11:52 AM

Hey, Sanderson!

He's the one they got to write the last Wheel of Time book when dear old RJ passed.

Is his writing any good?

fernandito
09-19-2008, 11:57 AM

Hey, Sanderson!

He's the one they got to write the last Wheel of Time book when dear old RJ passed.

Is his writing any good?

Elantris started out a bit shaky, but right now I can't put it down...well I can, but I don't want to, damnit He writes interesting characters, and I really like that he's able to describe powerful scenery in short, concise sentences, unlike other authors....

Adumbros
09-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Hey, Sanderson!

Is his writing any good?

Elantris started out a bit shaky, but right now I can't put it down...well I can, but I don't want to, damnit He writes interesting characters, and I really like that he's able to describe powerful scenery in short, concise sentences, unlike other authors....

which is one of my very few gripes about King. Sometimes, it's outright daunting, because he gets so caught up in detail it's like he forgets that he's describing it, it's like a mental reaction to something he and he alone can see instead. I mean, okay, the short, squat, loathsome, pillow-coat-wearing, philandering, abrasive, green, bald, asian, odorous man...what the fuck, man? break it down, break it down. no more than two adjectives to a sentence, three tops. you can actually bore someone with too much detail.

tamez
09-19-2008, 12:06 PM
I finished From a Buick 8 about a week ago.
I think i'm going to re-read Wolves next.

fernandito
09-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Well, I wasn't going to mention any names, but... :lol:

Adumbros
09-19-2008, 12:07 PM
I finished From a Buick 8 about a week ago.
I think i'm going to re-read Wolves next.

haha i just finished Buick 8 last week myself.

...maybe we really are soul-mates! :excited:

tamez
09-19-2008, 12:10 PM
:clap: what a coincidence!
what did you think about it?
i thought it was OK ...
not my fave.

Jean
09-19-2008, 12:12 PM
and bears like it a lot...

Adumbros
09-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Well, I wasn't going to mention any names, but... :lol:

dude you get to know my you'll know i'm a very blunt kind of guy

very...blunt :evil:

Adumbros
09-19-2008, 12:17 PM
:clap: what a coincidence!
what did you think about it?
i thought it was OK ...
not my fave.

you know what i thought? i thought was a blatant attmept to mask a connection to TDT, if that makes any sense.

it was okay. it wasn't my fave either. matter fact, when i first tried to read it years ago, i couldn't get past the first few chapters.

flea
09-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Have actually just finished re-reading Tommyknockers. Gonna start 1 of Michael Palins travel Books now

Adumbros
09-19-2008, 12:41 PM
late last night and the night before... :D

i actually think that was the best opening line King ever published. "For want of a nail..." and all that.

Daghain
09-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Just finished Dancing in My Nuddy-Pants by Louise Rennison and am reading Away Laughing on a Fast Camel by the same author. Also still working on the Larkin book.

Adumbros
09-20-2008, 10:24 AM
kinda stuck right now in transition...i'm leavin to go back to Pitt on Monday; 'til I get there, no books for me. Prob not for a few weeks either after I get there; PA's got all kinds of bereaucratic bullshit you have to go through to get a library card. Then again, my old PA ID might cut it since I still have it. I'll have to wait and see...

until then, no books for the bookwhore. :(

Heather19
09-20-2008, 04:30 PM
So I think I'm going to put Choke on hold, and try to finish up reading The House Next Door. My plan is to have that finished before I head down to Florida in a couple of weeks. I also just picked up I Am Legend, so I plan to read those while I'm down there, and maybe a Stephen King one as well, we'll see.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-21-2008, 12:38 AM
You will probably enjoy I am legend. It is much better than the movie. The movie was all special effects, but I think it missed alot of the sense of solitude, and ultimately the point of the story.

I am reading The Godfather presently. Its a nice change of pace from my normal diet.

Heather19
09-21-2008, 08:09 AM
You will probably enjoy I am legend. It is much better than the movie. The movie was all special effects, but I think it missed alot of the sense of solitude, and ultimately the point of the story.

Yes, I'm excited to read it. I've only heard good things about it. And it's been on my to read list for awhile so I figured it's about time to pick it up and check it out.

bluelph24
09-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Infinite Jest - David foster Wallace

For Shcool:
There Eyes Were Watching God - ZNH
What You Should Know About Politics But Don's
The Stranger (still) - Camus

Brice
09-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Infinite Jest - David foster Wallace

:thumbsup: Excellent book!

theBeamisHome
09-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Their Eyes Were Watching God- ZNH

i am so sorry. i read that book of my own accord and was sorely disappointed... i mean for it to be such a classic wtf is it about??? where is the story. God I was upset when i finished that book.. some people enjoy it though.. i hope you make it for your english grade's sake.

and Letti, I Am Legend is an amazing story... that movie was actually an insult to what Matheson wrote and his whole point.

gsvec
09-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Joy Ride by Jack Ketchum

Daghain
09-22-2008, 08:47 PM

i am so sorry. i read that book of my own accord and was sorely disappointed... i mean for it to be such a classic wtf is it about??? where is the story. God I was upset when i finished that book.. some people enjoy it though.. i hope you make it for your english grade's sake.

I had to read this for an English class.

The only book I hated more was Blood Meridian.

I swear there is a message board somewhere for English teachers where they sit around and try and figure out the most annoying book ever. :lol:

Jon
09-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Idlewild by Nick Sagan

(yes, he's Carl's son.)

ManOfWesternesse
09-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Bought Christopher paolini's Brisinger yesterday, but probably won't get to it for a good few weeks (on a re-read of Wheel of Time now).
So both my son + daughter will get first shout on Brisinger probably.

theBeamisHome
09-23-2008, 04:45 AM

I swear there is a message board somewhere for English teachers where they sit around and try and figure out the most annoying book ever. :lol:

That's the reason I decided to stick with being a biology teacher. I really want to teach reading or something like that, but I know I would have to follow a curriculum and as a result probably cause more kids to hate writing because of some of the awful books they make them read. ::shudders:: The Great Gatsby... Catcher in the Rye... bored me to tears.. i actually didn't really read them.. no wonder kids don't like to read. When I start my school, the kids will be able to read what interests them first so they develop a love of learning.

Wuducynn
09-23-2008, 06:11 AM
"Legacies" by F. Paul Wilson. One of the Repairman Jack novels. Great stuff. Fast paced, complex, sometimes scary.

Jean
09-23-2008, 06:49 AM
I really want to teach reading or something like that, but I know I would have to follow a curriculum and as a result probably cause more kids to hate writing because of some of the awful books they make them read. ::shudders:: The Great Gatsby... Catcher in the Rye... bored me to tears.. i actually didn't really read them.. no wonder kids don't like to read.
Interesting. I am not a fan of Catcher, but one thing I never considered it is boring... I always thought it was spectacularly well written; it's what is well written that I have big issues with.

theBeamisHome
09-23-2008, 10:16 AM
it probably is well written. the story didn't interest me at all though. i wasn't caught in the first few pages so i didn't bother with the rest. i do know people that liked it though.

bluelph24
09-23-2008, 12:10 PM
nix Camus, add Flatland

RandoofGilead
09-23-2008, 01:42 PM
I myself have just finished The Dark Tower series over the weekend (I listened to it going to and from work. I need to waste 2 hours a day.)

I am NOW currently reading/listening as of Monday to...THE DARK TOWER SERIES!!

I've become obsessed! :scared:

Daghain
09-23-2008, 01:55 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing. :lol:

RandoofGilead
09-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Was it the twitch in the eye tha gave that away? :)

I don't think I've enjoyed a series more than this. It numbed and exhausted me at the end but $#!@$%@#$^ I've got to push on!!

B Rag
09-23-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm working on A Wrinkle In Time. Seems like I've either read it before or had it read to me, but it's been quite a few years.

Ruthful
09-23-2008, 03:38 PM
An Essay On Brewing, Vintage And Distillation Together With Selected Remedies for Hangover Melancholia Or How To Make Booze, by John F. Adams.

And this,

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/bestsellers-2006/169-1.jpg

ErinPatricia
09-23-2008, 03:57 PM
I usually have 2-3 books going at once.

Currently its King's The Stand and Koontz's Strange Highways

NeedfulKings
09-24-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm reading The Ignored by Bentley Little

It's my 3rd or 4th of his and I REALLY enjoy his stuff!

lophophoras
09-25-2008, 03:07 AM
I am reading through a few copies of Weird Tales magazines that I just received.

Jean
09-25-2008, 04:00 AM
I have finished Duma Key, which is one of the best books I've ever read in my life.

Started The Heart-Shaped Box, which is, not quite unexpectedly, a step down. Anything would be.

It still gives me immense delight to know that my Lady Linda's delicate hands touched this very book... that's why I love it even though I don't really like the writing.

jayson
09-25-2008, 06:08 AM
I have finished Duma Key, which is one of the best books I've ever read in my life.

Even with the most anti-climatic ending in King history?

Stuffing a porcelain figure into a flashlight. Wow, how exciting!

I was happy with the book up until that point. Then it was just "What?!? That's it?"

Jean
09-25-2008, 06:33 AM
I actually was deeply touched by that... like by anything else in that book

I'll read what people posted in this thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1948), and post then, too.

Daghain
09-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Just finished Away Laughing on a Fast Camel by Louise Rennison and am reading Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers by the same author.

ErinPatricia
09-25-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm reading The Ignored by Bentley Little

It's my 3rd or 4th of his and I REALLY enjoy his stuff!

Little is awesome
Good, well written, still slightly b-movieish at times horror :D
I cant get enough of his stuff

Brice
09-25-2008, 11:39 AM
I agree, Little is great!

In addition to the other stuff I've already listed I'm currently reding Good Omens. :D

theBeamisHome
09-25-2008, 11:55 AM

In addition to the other stuff I've already listed I'm currently reding Good Omens. :D

:excited::clap::rock:
it's amazing and hilarious. you'll love it!

fernandito
09-25-2008, 11:57 AM
I love the prologue to Good Omens.

Arthur Heath
09-25-2008, 12:02 PM
I've read all of Niels books, though I have not read Terry Pratchet. I do love Good Omens though.
Thanks to Feeve I've decided to pick up where I left off on the Orson Scott Card 'Bean' series, Shadow of the Hegemon.

Brice
09-26-2008, 05:56 AM

:excited::clap::rock:
it's amazing and hilarious. you'll love it!

I know. :D It's like my third or fourth reread of it. :dance: A couple of weeks back I found a HC to replace my paperback and figured I'd reread it again.

fernandito
09-26-2008, 06:42 AM
Thanks to Feeve I've decided to pick up where I left off on the Orson Scott Card 'Bean' series, Shadow of the Hegemon.

Do I get a gold star?

:D

RandoofGilead
09-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Just finished The Gunslinger as I attempt to walk through to the end of the Dark Tower again.

After reading it, I came up with more questions than answers. It read like a different book though which was good. the appreciation for this book has grown. I may have to shuffle it up a bit on the order of the series.

On to The Drawing of Three

Wuducynn
09-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Hello all, big recommendation here, especially towards Jayson. READ THE REPAIRMAN JACK SERIES. It has a fantastic pace, character development and complexity.
http://repairmanjack.com

:harrier:

Rjeso
09-26-2008, 11:28 AM

I didn't mind TEWWG. I read it in AP English my senior year, and the discussion was good.

The book I didn't like for English class was Things Fall Apart. Guh.

jayson
09-26-2008, 12:12 PM
The book I didn't like for English class was Things Fall Apart. Guh.

Same here. The worst part was, when I got to college, I had to read it again for another English class. It doesn't get any better the second time around.

Wuducynn
09-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Fine, ignore my recommendation, but you're missing out.

Heather19
09-26-2008, 01:40 PM

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It's definately become one of my favorite King stories.

Brice
09-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Hello all, big recommendation here, especially towards Jayson. READ THE REPAIRMAN JACK SERIES. It has a fantastic pace, character development and complexity.

Actually, I agree with you. F. Paul Wilson is pretty damn good. I've only read a couple of The Repairman Jack stories though so far.

MrQuint
09-26-2008, 04:52 PM
The Ikea 2009 Catalog

Míchéal
09-26-2008, 05:09 PM
A beermat.

JQ The Gunslinger
09-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Into 300 pages of The Shining. Not sure if i like it

NeedfulKings
09-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Just finished The Gunslinger ...
On to The Drawing of Three

You're in for a treat!!! :)

jayson
09-27-2008, 04:39 AM

Duly noted. I will check it out. Thanks Matthew!

The Lady of Shadows
09-27-2008, 08:39 PM
the nice thing about being sick (the only nice thing) is you have plenty of time to listen to audiobooks.

listened to the watchman by robert crais. now have to find every book in the series, damn him. :)

listened to insomnia by stephen king (duh). wow. you know, i think this is a much better book on audio than being read. you get more out of it. it has skyrocketed to my top ten list of king books. and i'm totally in love with ralph roberts just so you all know. :rose:

listening to hold tight by harlan coben (have about 90 minutes left). i think harlan coben is great. and i really like scott brick as a narrator (which i why i bought this book).

BedOfRoses
09-27-2008, 08:53 PM
I just finished Fight Club...wow, what an interesting read. I loved the pace of the book and recommend it to all (guys and gals!). :thumbsup:

Ruthful
09-29-2008, 01:31 AM
http://sexlessinthecity.net/

I bought an autographed copy from the author after she had finished debating Stephanie Sellers, the sex columnist from The NY Press, at Lolita Bar last night. So far it's not bad, although her description of visiting a sex toy shop in Manhattan has this Pauline quality that is a bit over the top, IMO.

Hbgunslinger
09-29-2008, 01:37 AM

+1 Great books they can really suck you in.

I also highly recommend any Douglas Preston- Lincoln Child books, especially the Alloyisious (SP) Pendergast series.

Right now however I am reading Hostage to the Devil by Malachi Martin.

Matt
09-29-2008, 06:39 AM
I just got done with Red Mars, now I'm starting Green Mars, then Blue Mars. :orely:

fernandito
09-29-2008, 08:04 AM
I was going to start that series some time ago Matt, but I opted for Harry Potter instead.

How did you like the first book?

Arthur Heath
09-29-2008, 12:43 PM
I just finished Fight Club...wow, what an interesting read. I loved the pace of the book and recommend it to all (guys and gals!). :thumbsup:

You should try some of his other books if you have not. I would suggest Lullaby next.

The Lady of Shadows
09-29-2008, 02:19 PM

You should try some of his other books if you have not. I would suggest Lullaby next.

::swoon::

i knew you were still a turtle

the repairman jack series kicks major ass! i have to agree with matthew on this one. i have all of them and read them again and again (i'm ocd that way). plus, thanks to our very own ricky, i have an autographed copy of virgin personalized to me. :wub: it's not a repairman jack book (he didn't have any there) but it's fucking f. paul wilson's signature and it says to turtlesong which is doubly cool since that's my name here and sai king is the president of the repairman jack fan club! :D

the pendergast books by preston/child are amazing. i think that character is one of the freshest in fiction lately. and i really like where they are taking him.

i'm really hooked on harlan coben right now. and of course, i'm always hooked on pseudopod. if you guys like short fiction (about half an hour) of the audio variety i highly recommend it. :)

can anyone say book geek? that would be me. :D

Matt
09-29-2008, 02:49 PM
I was going to start that series some time ago Matt, but I opted for Harry Potter instead.

How did you like the first book?

I actually enjoyed it a lot. Very scientific and does a lot on social structures which I like.

I got so close to the people in the first book though, the second (new characters, same story) is proving hard to get close to, but I'm still liking it.

They had a space elevator that was destroyed by sabotage--its cable was one and one half times the diameter of the planet...when that thing came down, it was pretty cool.

BedOfRoses
09-29-2008, 04:17 PM

Thanks, AH! I plan to read more of his books, and I'll definitely look for Lullaby. We own Snuff so might try that one next. :)

Heather19
09-29-2008, 04:47 PM

Thanks, AH! I plan to read more of his books, and I'll definitely look for Lullaby. We own Snuff so might try that one next. :)

Let me know what you think of Snuff if you do read it. I read the first few chapters but then got sidetracked with another book and haven't gone back to finish it yet.

If you want to pick up some of his other stories I would second Lullaby as well. It's one of my favorites.