PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Jean
08-06-2008, 04:26 AM
I think I have read it 3 times already

so have I

jhanic
08-06-2008, 04:46 AM
I'm just started reading Starship Troopers

This is one of my favorite Heinlein books. Just be prepared for all the "propaganda" that he loves to salt in his work. The story itself is great!

John

The Lady of Shadows
08-06-2008, 05:55 PM
nothing. i am reading nothing. it's hard to read when you are depressed.

but i am listening to "neverwhere" read by neil gaiman. ::sigh::

razz
08-06-2008, 05:56 PM
thanks for the book, maerlyn

NeedfulKings
08-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Blaze is good Alex.

I'm reading Roadwork for the first time. Quite a powerful story.

fernandito
08-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Let's just say... Rorschach is my new desktop wallpaper. :cyclops:

:lol: :clap:

It was a little odd getting into the swing of things since I've never read a comic before :gasp: but after the first chapter I found myself really enjoying it. I'll definitely be looking into some other graphic novels now. :D

Excelleeeeeent..... [/Mr. Burns]

Your next destination? The Sandman by Neil Gaiman! :cyclops:

NeedfulKings
08-06-2008, 07:57 PM
I just read that Rage is out of print, has anyone else read it lately?
I didn't know that when I bought it!

SK requested a stop due to the high school shootings. There are many copies of The Bachman Books still out there and they include the entire story. If you manage to snag an original first edition paperback of Rage, it's worth a few dollars.

Good story. Classic writing style.

Daghain
08-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Rage is awesome, IMHO.

And, I really enjoyed Blaze as well. :)

Daghain
08-06-2008, 08:29 PM
I guess I need to reread Cell. I was less than impressed the first time.

Daghain
08-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Oh, read The Stand! It's far more superior, IMHO.

And yeah, I can see where that is coming from. :)

Daghain
08-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Curse you double post! :lol:

PedroPáramo
08-06-2008, 08:52 PM
-David Copperfield,
Charles Dickens.
-In cold blood,
Truman Capote
-Kafka on the shore,
Haruki Murakami
(I <3 Kafka on the shore jeje)

Unfound One
08-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Your next destination? The Sandman by Neil Gaiman! :cyclops:

Actually...... On my last Barnes & Noble trip (yesterday) I picked up the first volume and read the first two chapters. I've heard way too many good things about this one NOT to read it. (Yeah, I lurk in the Comic Tower sometimes...)
I'm not supposed to be spending money right now though. My problem is I would much rather buy a book than borrow it or just read it in the store.
What if I have to reference it later? How can I do that if I don't have it with me?!?!? :panic:

(So if anybody has an extra copy lying around somewhere, I'm not too proud to beg: Please?)

John Blaze
08-06-2008, 11:57 PM
I guess I need to reread Cell. I was less than impressed the first time.

No, you don't. :arg:

Brice
08-07-2008, 01:47 AM
I love Rage. I read it at least every couple years, if not more often.

Today I started Camus' The Stranger.

Today I finished Camus' The Stranger. :)

Jean
08-07-2008, 01:53 AM
how was it? one of the books I thoroughly loathe (Rage being another, though)

Brice
08-07-2008, 02:01 AM
What? The Stranger? I actually liked it quite alot. I tore through it in a couple hours. I haven't done that with a book in awhile now.

Jean
08-07-2008, 02:05 AM
::nods gloomily::

Brice
08-07-2008, 02:16 AM
Does it really make a bear gloomy when someone likes a book he doesn't?

Jean
08-07-2008, 02:27 AM
no, when someone the bear likes is happy the bear is always happy too, whatever the reason

but the bear is always gloomy when he thinks of certain books

::broods::

Brice
08-07-2008, 02:29 AM
May I ask why (if there is a specific why) you loathe it so much?

Jean
08-07-2008, 02:45 AM
it presents an attitude towards life which I find loathsome, and expresses the essense of a whole school of thought I dislike intensely. Then, I generally don't like book with "deep meaning", - you know, other than telling an entertaining story.

Brice
08-07-2008, 03:08 AM
I am generally only interested in the story even in those types of books. I can manage my own morality without them. :)

Daghain
08-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Then, I generally don't like book with "deep meaning", - you know, other than telling an entertaining story.

You have actually hit on the reason I hated the Narnia books - I felt like I was getting religion shoved down my throat every 10 seconds. GRRR.

Jean
08-07-2008, 07:07 AM
yes. I haven't read them, but I see the point - when an author is trying to write something "philosophical", or "religious", or "socially responsible", or "with deep moral impact", it's usually disgusting. The skeleton - the "ideas" - stick out like so many sore thumbs, and it is almost always at the expense of the story (characters and language including). There are, of course, cases where the fabrics of story is itself made of philosophy or religion or social concern, as it is the case with J.L.Borges or G.K.Chesterton or J.Swift or some other chosen few, but it is 1) rare; 2) quite another kettle of fish; 3) in all listed cases the story and the writing is superb anyway, and it is all that is really needed.

Daghain
08-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Exactly. It's the fact that on the surface, it looks like a really good children's story, and then once you start reading, all the religious references take you right out of the story. They did me, anyway. It kind of bummed me out, because I was looking forward to reading those books and enjoying them. Oh well.

Jean
08-07-2008, 07:25 AM
but it didn't disturb you in, say, Desperation, right? I mean, if any "idea" seems organically fitting into the book, one wouldn't give a fuck whether it fits their own views - I mean, if one is a real confirmed reader. Many of the books I love are blatantly anti-Christian, atheistic, which was to be expected since they were written by Soviet atheist authors... and they are great anyway.

Daghain
08-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Nope, it didn't bother me in Desperation at all. It felt like a part of the story, not a sermon. :)

Jean
08-07-2008, 07:38 AM
exactly what I mean! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_flower.gif

Daghain
08-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Great minds think alike! :wub:

theBeamisHome
08-07-2008, 09:57 AM
So Dag, have you read the Golden Compass books?

Daghain
08-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Nope, not yet. Are they similar to the Narnia books?

theBeamisHome
08-07-2008, 10:11 AM
actually they're supposed to be like them but the anti-thesis i guess. the author calls himself an evangelical atheist. i haven't read the books but i was wondering about it because i did see the movie and it didn't really seem all anti-religion as everyone was making it out to be... but then again i'm like Brice and i just watch/read things for the story. :lol:

Daghain
08-07-2008, 10:16 AM
I didn't see the Narnia movie, but I heard that it wasn't religious, either. So I'm guessing they left that out to make it suitable for the masses. I'd imagine The Golden Compass would be the same.

I'm just not big on any message being shoved down my throat. If you can effectively write it into the story, go for it. Otherwise STFU already. :lol:

theBeamisHome
08-07-2008, 10:20 AM
:lol:
i haven't read Narnia either... i was too advanced for it when we read it in elementary school and i just never went back to it... when someone was talking about how it was this huge Jesus story i was just like "wha??" :lol:

anyways i'm still reading Neverwhere.... it has never taken me this long to get thru a book. i love how he writes in this one tho... in American Gods it was like a British person trying to do American and this one reminds me of Douglas Adams language which is the only other modern British writer I think I've read.

Daghain
08-07-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm still slogging through Dreamcatcher. I'm liking it better than the first time around, but it's still slow going.

theBeamisHome
08-07-2008, 10:26 AM
i'm not sure if i ever finished Dreamcatcher.....

Daghain
08-07-2008, 10:30 AM
I'll let you know how it goes. :lol:

PedroPáramo
08-07-2008, 12:07 PM
it presents an attitude towards life which I find loathsome, and expresses the essense of a whole school of thought I dislike intensely. Then, I generally don't like book with "deep meaning", - you know, other than telling an entertaining story.

As I can guess you don't like the existentialism school, don't you? I like that school, but only when the book is reaally good and it's not boring. When the book has something more to show.
In fact, I haven't finished The Stranger yet. I'm on the half since three months ago.

lophophoras
08-07-2008, 02:46 PM
About to start reading Joyride by Ketchum.

The Lady of Shadows
08-07-2008, 03:22 PM
I love Rage. I read it at least every couple years, if not more often.

Today I started Camus' The Stranger.

Today I finished Camus' The Stranger. :)

Jean
08-07-2008, 09:18 PM
As I can guess you don't like the existentialism school, don't you? I like that school, but only when the book is reaally good and it's not boring. When the book has something more to show.
that's exactly what we've been talking about with Daghain. And you are so right - I don't like existentialism... and I found the book boring (thank God it's so short)

In fact, I haven't finished The Stranger yet. I'm on the half since three months ago.
No wonder...

PedroPáramo
08-08-2008, 11:48 PM
that's exactly what we've been talking about with Daghain. And you are so right - I don't like existentialism... and I found the book boring (thank God it's so short)

No wonder...

:cyclops:
I remebered it 'cause you told me you don't like Murakami.

Arthur Heath
08-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Re reading Fahrenheit 451.

gsvec
08-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Just about to start "Joyride" by Jack Ketchum. Anybody read it?

Brice
08-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Yes, I read all of Ketchum's books I could find last year.

Girlystevedave
08-09-2008, 12:03 PM
i haven't read Narnia either... i was too advanced for it when we read it in elementary school and i just never went back to it... when someone was talking about how it was this huge Jesus story i was just like "wha??" :lol:

I'm almost halfway through Narnia now. I haven't seen anything that seems to signify Jesus (yet?).
I didn't hear anything about religion being involved in the story before I started it, but when I was reading the very first chapter and it was telling the story about the beginning/creation of Narnia, I could definitely feel biblical undertones in it. But, I don't know if it was intentional or if it was just me analyzing too much.
:orely:

Brice
08-09-2008, 12:06 PM

I'm almost halfway through Narnia now. I haven't seen anything that seems to signify Jesus (yet?).
I didn't hear anything about religion being involved in the story before I started it, but when I was reading the very first chapter and it was telling the story about the beginning/creation of Narnia, I could definitely feel biblical undertones in it. But, I don't know if it was intentional or if it was just me analyzing too much.

C. S. Lewis was a Christian author and there are religious undertones throughout the series. Personally (although I am not religious) it doesn't bother me. I just view it as a nice little story.:)

bluelph24
08-09-2008, 09:15 PM
The Scarlet Letter

Girlystevedave
08-11-2008, 03:05 AM
The Scarlet Letter

I'm sorry. :)

theBeamisHome
08-11-2008, 10:05 AM
The Scarlet Letter

ditto...

you poor thing, you.

lophophoras
08-11-2008, 11:18 AM
I did read the first twenty or so pages of Ketchum's Joyride but had to put it to the side so that I could read Ancients by David Lynn Goleman. After reading Event and Legend I had to get Ancients. I don't know if you guys have tried reading any of these but they are pretty good. Very likeable characters and intense plots. He's got me hooked.

:)

bluelph24
08-11-2008, 11:44 AM
The Scarlet Letter

ditto...

you poor thing, you.

idk. it's not really bad so far (i'm about 60 pages in). Hawthorne is very wordy, but it's certainly not bad. Although, i'm probably a bad judge considering that i read endlessly and have only ever encountered 1 book that has ever made me wanna gouge my eyes out.

theBeamisHome
08-11-2008, 12:02 PM
what was that?

alinda
08-11-2008, 12:57 PM
:: is interested in the answer to that question as well::::

bluelph24
08-11-2008, 01:00 PM
It's called The Frozen Journey. I was in South Dakota for the 4th of July a few years ago. Went into a small town gas station. Found this book, written by local author. Intrigued, bought it. Read it. A science Fiction book, about travel through space. The writing was horrendous, the characters were flat, and the story was terrible. Thank god it was 18 pt font and double spaced. I had thought that the author was just a very inexperienced young kid who got a break with the publishers. nope. a 50 year old astronomer who had always dreamed of flying through space penned that charm. It just seems to me that anyone who reads even a few books a year until the age of 50 should be able to write at least a little better than that book. BLAH

Heather19
08-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Finally finished reading Salem's Lot. Really enjoyed it, I can't believe I waited so long to read it.
Going to start The House Next Door by Ann Rivers Siddons, and currently listening to Jane Eyre.

John Blaze
08-11-2008, 03:58 PM
since there seems to be plenty people reading Jane Eyre, I thought I'd throw this in.

Jane Eyre is on Project Gutenberg, from which you can download the ebook for free, just in case anyone else wants to know what the fuss is about.

Patrick
08-11-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm reading Interworld by Neil Gaiman and Michael Reaves, and it is AWESOME!

The concept is really great. It imagines that the universe is an arc, kinda like a rainbow. Towards one end all the worlds are based and run on magic, and on the other, science.
There are two agencies, HEX (magic) and Binary (science) who are corrupt and are each trying to gain universal domination - Interworld is like a gunslinger outfit, trying to keep a balance between the two.

Buy it and read it :thumbsup:
I read INTERWORLD on Darker's recommendation. :thumbsup:

Now reading:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qPy3BeSWL._SL500_.jpg

fernandito
08-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Interworld, huh?...

The Lady of Shadows
08-11-2008, 07:28 PM
tonight i shall finish the "author's preferred edition" audiobook of neverworld (read by neil gaiman himself say thankya). tomorrow i shall begin to tackle that daunting beast house of leaves. say a prayer for me. . . .

Brice
08-11-2008, 08:42 PM
It's a really good book.

Darkthoughts
08-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Feev, you'd love Interworld :cool:

Patrick, you have the subpress edition, right?

I'm currently reading one of Jim Butcher's Dresden File books (Dead Beat).
I'd never heard of them before and randomly picked it up at the library. It's really good! I'm now tracking all the other Harry Dresden books down on Amazon.

theBeamisHome
08-12-2008, 11:07 AM
hmmm this Interworld sounds like my kind of book... Neil Gaiman is climbing all the way up my preference ladder of authors.

Bluenose
08-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I was disappointed with House of Leaves, but I know a lot of people who love it (and used it as the inspiration for several roleplaying games) so it was probably just me!

Currently reading Homicide by David Simmons. Given that I'm watchign at the TV show as well, its quite weird to see the crimes that Simmons describes at the same time as reading about them.

Tiffany
08-12-2008, 11:26 AM
The Talisman. I missed Jack. :wub:

Tiffany
08-12-2008, 03:41 PM
On my way home today, I stopped by my favorite book place and picked up American Gods since I saw so many people talking about it in here.

I also snagged Everything's Eventual and Black House in paperback (I don't wanna tote my hardcover around on the subway).

TLC
08-12-2008, 07:44 PM
I am reading Liliths Brood, DUma key and Perdido Street Station!!!
soon...........it'll be my nursing textbooks :(

bluelph24
08-12-2008, 08:00 PM
The Road to the Dark Tower. I'm excited:rock:

fernandito
08-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Has anyone read the Forgotten Realms series by R.A Salvatore? I've been wanting to start these books for a while, but I have enough door-stopper series to complete at the moment.

Daghain
08-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Okay, Tiff, READ Everything's Eventual NOW. Little Sisters of Eluria is in there - more Roland stories!

And bluelph - that's a great book - enjoy!

Bluenose
08-13-2008, 07:56 AM
feverish parade - I've read a fair few of Salvatore's Realms efforts. He's pretty good as far as standard fantasy efforts go, one of the better writers from TSR (him, Weis and Hickman, Elaine Cunningham...thats about it). Drizzt is an intriguing character, or grows into an intriguing character - like a lot of these series, it gets better as Salvatore gets better and learns how to write a story as opposed to an AD&D adventure.

Darkthoughts
08-13-2008, 08:06 AM
What's AD&D?

Bluenose
08-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons - its a roleplaying game by TSR (and now by Wizards of the Coast). At the height of its popularity, it had several different game worlds and TSR commissioned books in them, based on characters within the worlds. Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms were the big two.

Course this led to mad continuity problems and the worlds gettign restarted on a semi regular basis, and new editions of the games...

Darkthoughts
08-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Aha! I'm aware of D&D, just the A part threw me :D

Bluenose
08-13-2008, 08:26 AM
I've gotten back into games recently. Some of hte books are quite good to read as and off themselves

fernandito
08-13-2008, 08:29 AM
feverish parade - I've read a fair few of Salvatore's Realms efforts. He's pretty good as far as standard fantasy efforts go, one of the better writers from TSR (him, Weis and Hickman, Elaine Cunningham...thats about it). Drizzt is an intriguing character, or grows into an intriguing character - like a lot of these series, it gets better as Salvatore gets better and learns how to write a story as opposed to an AD&D adventure.

Excellent, thank you for this little sypnosis.

And call me feev. :)

Bluenose
08-13-2008, 11:07 AM
No problem :) hope it helps

alinda
08-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Duma Key reread , and loving every minute of it!:thumbsup:

The Lady of Shadows
08-13-2008, 01:59 PM

sad. sad, pitiful and sad. with a dash of ::sigh:: thrown in for flavor. :P

ManOfWesternesse
08-13-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm on a re-read of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series these days. Now on Book 4: The Shadow Rising.

Patrick
08-13-2008, 03:31 PM
What's AD&D?
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons - its a roleplaying game by TSR (and now by Wizards of the Coast). At the height of its popularity, it had several different game worlds and TSR commissioned books in them, based on characters within the worlds. Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms were the big two.

Course this led to mad continuity problems and the worlds gettign restarted on a semi regular basis, and new editions of the games...
Aha! I'm aware of D&D, just the A part threw me :D
I thought it was Dungeons & Dragons for people who have problems concentrating.

Feev, you'd love Interworld :cool:
Patrick, you have the subpress edition, right? ....Yep, the S/L. :)

Brice
08-13-2008, 03:35 PM

ladysai
08-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Starting a re-read of "Feast for Crows" by George R R Martin.
Just finished a re-read of "Storm of Swords" by same.
(when will he finish the next friggin' book?! AAAACK!)
Man, sometimes I cant believe how I LOVE this series.

And I want a direwolf more with each re-read. :lol:

fernandito
08-13-2008, 08:40 PM
I didn't know you liked the series as well, ladysai! :D Why don't you ever stop by the ASoIaF thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1616&page=2)?

Jean
08-13-2008, 09:54 PM
I do so wish I would soon be able to go back to it, too! I absolutely loved it, and had to stop for the reasons you know.

In the meantime, I am re-reading serial detective/history novels of our great modern writer Akunin, because I know them by heart, so I don't have to strain myself in any way, and they are written so brilliantly that I enjoy them every time.

Also reading Cathedral Cats, by Richard Surman (his are both the photos and the stories), it's non-fiction, about cats living in England at famous Cathedrals (Canterbury, Westminster, Salisbury, etc). The pictures are adorable, and the stories wonderful!

Old Man Splitfoot
08-13-2008, 11:28 PM
I just finished Watchmen!
:excited: :panic: :excited: :panic: :excited:

Annnnnnnnnnnnd? What'd you think? :D

Let's just say... Rorschach is my new desktop wallpaper. :cyclops:

Are you kidding me? I fuckin' loved it! It was a little odd getting into the swing of things since I've never read a comic before :gasp: but after the first chapter I found myself really enjoying it.
I'll definitely be looking into some other graphic novels now. :D

And also, finishing it makes me so so so so excited for the movie! Dayum. It's gonna be intense.

As a veteran comics fan, I feel obligated to point you towards Sandman.

I just finished The Dark Tower the other day, and I've been reading some of the related material, starting with the Mist, Little Sisters of Eluria, and now I'm in the middle of Everything's Eventual. Thinking about reading Swan Song soon.

what
08-14-2008, 02:59 AM
I'm now on book 3 of the Twilight saga... these books are addictive!

kirin
08-14-2008, 04:33 AM
just finished blaze trying to descide what to read next

kirin
08-14-2008, 04:34 AM

hmm your sig says you finish dt VII on the 4th of the 27th month 2008 ?

fernandito
08-14-2008, 06:19 AM
We do it Month/Day/Year here in America. :)

what
08-14-2008, 06:32 AM

hmm your sig says you finish dt VII on the 4th of the 27th month 2008 ?

HAHAHA... I needed a good laugh today... you gotta remember how backward somethings are in America :)

Matt
08-14-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm listening to "Playing for Pizza"--its a Grisham short novel. Pretty good.

fernandito
08-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Ben looked up and smiled. Eddie saw him simling and smiled. Richie smiled at Eddie and Ben Smiling. Richie didn't smile because they weren't smiling at him. Stan didn't know whether or not to smile at Richie not smiling because Eddie and Ben weren't smiling at him.

[/mini rant]

theBeamisHome
08-14-2008, 10:23 AM
i finally finished Neverwhere and i just LOVED the ending! it's great when the ending of the book makes it better than the rest of it :lol:
now i'm reading Insomnia for the first time and i'm sad and scared already
THANK YOU LINDA!!!!

kirin
08-14-2008, 12:03 PM
We do it Month/Day/Year here in America. :)

i know you guys always have to try and be different :)

Darkthoughts
08-14-2008, 02:15 PM

:rofl:

The Lady of Shadows
08-14-2008, 02:26 PM
finally finished the audiobook of neverwhere! :excited: neil gaiman rocks. he, in fact, rocks so much that i immediately went to audible and got american gods, anansi boys (and the special audible only intro to it), and interworld. i know, i'm a total freak reading these books and then months (sometimes years) later getting the audiobooks but sometimes there's so much more in them and sometimes you just realize that you've missed so damn much.

plus, hearing neil gaiman reading is wonderful. and with neverwhere it was his "preferred edition" and i swear there were things in there that i absolutely do not remember being in the book.

reading house of leaves. weird freaking book. but i think i like it. yeah, i'm pretty sure i like it. it's kind of freaking me out a little but i like it. yeah. maybe. :unsure:

Darkthoughts
08-14-2008, 02:33 PM
There was a rerelease of the book version of Neverwhere this year, with all the extra bits in it ;)

fernandito
08-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Good Omens with Gaiman and Pratchett is another great read.

*EDIT*

Lisa! Did you know that a 3D movie of Coraline is set to release any day now?

Brice
08-14-2008, 03:02 PM
There was a rerelease of the book version of Neverwhere this year, with all the extra bits in it ;)

:o There was? Why did I not know it? And why don't I have it yet? :panic: This was the book that made me love Gaiman. :D

...and yes, Good Omens is fantastic too.

ladysai
08-14-2008, 03:35 PM
I didn't know you liked the series as well, ladysai! :D Why don't you ever stop by the ASoIaF thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1616&page=2)?

I've been there.
Just havent had anything to add lately.
;)

The Lady of Shadows
08-14-2008, 04:49 PM

i didn't know this. i thought i was losing it - maybe i still am but not in regard to the book at least! :D

Good Omens with Gaiman and Pratchett is another great read.

*EDIT*

Lisa! Did you know that a 3D movie of Coraline is set to release any day now?

i thought good omens was an awesome read. now if it was only on audio. ::sigh::

alinda
08-14-2008, 04:55 PM
I really got to get me some of his work, I am ashamed
I've never read any:(

Brice
08-14-2008, 09:26 PM
No, I wouldn't compare Gaiman and king...with the exception that they are both fantastic writers.

Linda, go get some Gaiman...like now.

Darkthoughts
08-15-2008, 02:29 AM
Feev, I sure did! I goto Gaiman's site daily...heres a link of a Coraline excerpt:
http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/coraline/news/1748615/exclusive_sneak_peek_at_coraline

He's doing a signing on Halloween in London...I'm sooooo there!! :excited:

As for Neverwhere, it was a paperback re-release...and it was 2005, I just bought it this year :doh: :lol:
It's called the "Author's preferred text" edition, he's taken out some parts, added new bits etc. And theres also "extra" material at the back - a different prologue, an interview with Neil and reading group discussion questions.

Tony_A
08-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Started a re-read of The Stand last week. Nick, Ralph, Mother A, et al have just left for Boulder.

theBeamisHome
08-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Good Omens is GREAT!!!! I picked it up by accident one time when i was in Borders. Hilarious. I even let my old rommate have it :cry: i want it back but i don't want to be an indian giver (no offense). maybe i had the new version of Neverwhere. I hope so. :lol:

fernandito
08-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Is this Neil Gaiman really good?

Yessssss!

Check out American Gods when you get a chance. And are you into graphic novels? Check out his Sandman series - great character development, very story driven, just an all around excellent series. The Sandman is Gaiman's magnum opus, his Dark Tower. :)

He's doing a signing on Halloween in London...I'm sooooo there!! :excited:

Wow! I'm green with jealous rage! Woooooo! :lol:

Tiffany
08-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Okay, Tiff, READ Everything's Eventual NOW. Little Sisters of Eluria is in there - more Roland stories!

I'm almost done with Jack and that's my next stop, even if I only read that one story. I'm eager to get to Black House but more eager to visit Roland again. :cowboy:

I remember not liking Black House as much but I'm gonna give it another go and see what happens when I read it with less time having passed after finished The Talisman.

Edit: Should I read American Gods before picking up anything else of this Gaimen fellow's?

The Lady of Shadows
08-15-2008, 02:30 PM

I'm almost done with Jack and that's my next stop, even if I only read that one story. I'm eager to get to Black House but more eager to visit Roland again. :cowboy:

I remember not liking Black House as much but I'm gonna give it another go and see what happens when I read it with less time having passed after finished The Talisman.

Edit: Should I read American Gods before picking up anything else of this Gaimen fellow's?

well, you have to read american gods before you read anansi boys. other than that i think it's all up for grabs. personally, i'd start with his short stories to see if you like his writing. fragile things was phenomenal! if you want something funny go with good omens. neverwhere is kind of a "down the rabbit-hole" story of another world below the one the main character lives in. it totally rocks - but get the reissue.

of course our dear feev will press you on the sandman stuff. i've never read it - graphic novels - but he says they're great and who am i to question the master of all things graphic novely. :lol:

Wuducynn
08-15-2008, 03:14 PM

so have I

Only 3?? I think I've read it nine or ten times by now.

Heather19
08-15-2008, 03:30 PM
All of you guys are really making me want to check out Gaimen now, but it'll have to wait for a bit at least. I've got so many other books to read. Or maybe I'll just try to get some of the audiobooks, I go thru those pretty quickly.

I'm currently about halfway thru Jane Eyre, and loving every min of it. What a great book!

The Lady of Shadows
08-15-2008, 03:33 PM
the audiobook of neverwhere rocked. (have i mentioned that before? :lol: )

Heather19
08-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Nice, I'll look for that one first. Is the reissue that you mentioned available on audio?

The Lady of Shadows
08-15-2008, 03:47 PM
audible.com has it for a nice price. pm me.

Jean
08-15-2008, 08:48 PM

so have I

Only 3?? I think I've read it nine or ten times by now.
no, only 3; don't forget I also have a whole world of books to read in Russian, and in some other languages, too, so my English reading is naturally slower. I think if I read in English only, I would have read it about nine/ten times by now, too.

Unfound One
08-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Ben looked up and smiled. Eddie saw him simling and smiled. Richie smiled at Eddie and Ben Smiling. Richie didn't smile because they weren't smiling at him. Stan didn't know whether or not to smile at Richie not smiling because Eddie and Ben weren't smiling at him.

[/mini rant]

But, the number of smiles is divisible by 5... :cyclops:

The Lady of Shadows
08-15-2008, 11:07 PM
oh for fucks sake! :lol:

Unfound One
08-15-2008, 11:09 PM
I thought you'd like that Turtle...

The Lady of Shadows
08-15-2008, 11:11 PM
:P

Darkthoughts
08-16-2008, 01:17 AM
well, you have to read american gods before you read anansi boys. other than that i think it's all up for grabs. personally, i'd start with his short stories to see if you like his writing. fragile things was phenomenal!

Ahhh, but remember!...there's a Shadow story in Fragile Things...so I'd leave that until after American Gods ;)

I'd start with Stardust myself, because its a really easy read and very enjoyable. But I'm down with Feev really, The Sandman was his first venture and I'd go for that if you like graphic novels, or even if you don't! :D Some of the intro's to the Sandman collections are also awesome...King wrote one if I remember rightly :thumbsup:

The Lady of Shadows
08-16-2008, 01:28 AM
well, you have to read american gods before you read anansi boys. other than that i think it's all up for grabs. personally, i'd start with his short stories to see if you like his writing. fragile things was phenomenal!

Ahhh, but remember!...there's a Shadow story in Fragile Things...so I'd leave that until after American Gods ;)

I'd start with Stardust myself, because its a really easy read and very enjoyable. But I'm down with Feev really, The Sandman was his first venture and I'd go for that if you like graphic novels, or even if you don't! :D Some of the intro's to the Sandman collections are also awesome...King wrote one if I remember rightly :thumbsup:

excellent point. the shadow story takes place after american gods but before anansi boys if i remember correctly. so really, you could read all but that one story. or read smoke & mirrors (or angels & visitations if you can find it).

you know i've never read stardust. maybe when i'm done with this gaiman gorge fest i'll hit that one next. :lol:

Darkthoughts
08-16-2008, 01:30 AM
Oh you'd love it! It's a great book :thumbsup:

jhanic
08-16-2008, 05:40 AM
Could someone do a list of Gaiman's books as to which are graphic novels and which are not? I'm not much into graphic novels (except the ones about the Dark Tower and the upcoming Stand) but would like to start on Gaiman's novels. Which of the novels should I start with?

John

Darkthoughts
08-16-2008, 06:08 AM
No problem :)

Graphic Novels:
Black Orchid
Books of Magic
Creatures of the Night
Death: The High Cost Of Living
Death: The Time Of Your Life
Harlequin/Valentine
Midnight Days
Mr Punch: The Tragical Comedy or the Comical Tragedy
Murder Mysteries
Sandman: The Dream Hunters
Sandman: Endless Nights
Signal To Noise
Stardust
The Facts In The Case Of The Departure Of Miss Finch
The Last Temptation
Violent Cases

The Sandman:
Vol 1: Preludes and Nocturnes
Vol 2: The Doll's House
Vol 3: Dream Country
Vol 4: Season Of Mist
Vol 5: A Game Of You
Vol 6: Fables and Reflections
Vol 7: Brief Lives
Vol 8: World's End
Vol 9: The Kindly Ones
Vol 10: The Wake

Darkthoughts
08-16-2008, 06:13 AM
Books:

A Walking Tour of the Shambles
Adventures In The Dream Trade
American Gods
Anansi Boys
Angels and Visitations
Coraline
Day of the Dead
Don't Panic
Fragile Things
Good Omens
Interworld
M is for Magic
MirrorMask
Neverwhere
Now We Are Sick
Odd and the Frost Giants
Smoke and Mirrors
Stardust
The Alchemy of the MirrorMask
The Dangerous Alphabet
The Day I swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish
The Graveyard Book
The Sandman: Book of Dreams
Wolves In the Wall

jhanic
08-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Thanks! I'm printing those out and going on the hunt!

John

Darkthoughts
08-16-2008, 07:06 AM
:thumbsup:
I've had quite a few from Subpress, John.

jhanic
08-16-2008, 07:16 AM
I'm going to try to find some of the earlier works (in particular American Gods and Anasazi Boys) in a cheaper format (or even the library) and see if I like them. If so, I may get the entire list.

John

Daghain
08-16-2008, 07:50 AM
The only one I've read so far is Coraline. I highly recommend it. :)

Heather19
08-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Is the movie Stardust with Claire Danes based off his book, or is it unrelated?

fernandito
08-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Yeah, it's an adaptation of Gaiman's novel.

kirin
08-16-2008, 11:45 AM
made a start on the long walk now

Darkthoughts
08-16-2008, 02:44 PM

A very loose adaptation!! :pullhair:

Brice
08-16-2008, 03:03 PM
I really didn't realize Gaiman had written that much.

Heather19
08-16-2008, 03:33 PM

Thanks, I was actually going to ask how it was as an adaptation. I really enjoyed the movie, but was curious how it compared to the book. Maybe I'll check that one out.

Ka-mai
08-17-2008, 05:18 PM

That movie made me furious for one reason:

They turned the captain gay.

There was NO FUCKING REASON for that to be done. It was just for stupid laughs. I think it actually detracted from the rest of the movie, which was very good. Ugh, my boyfriend and I flipped out after we saw it, although I did see it coming from a movie review I read with a very poorly disguised spoiler. Besides...

Gay doesn't necesssarily mean drag queen, as they kind of implied.

Anyway. I am currently reading A Walk Down the Aisle, which is kind of making me not want to get married. :P I also just finished Alive, about the 1972 Uraguayan plane crash in the Andes where they ate the dead to survive. I liked it ok but there were too many characters to keep track of and some portions really dragged, so it was a little difficult.

sarah
08-17-2008, 05:21 PM
well, I promised feevie ages ago that I'd read Prisoner of Azkaban with him. And so I did. I started from the beginning and pushed on through. I'm almost done with Order of the Phoenix. I'm royally pissed off that Warner Brothers push back the release date of Half Blood Prince til next summer. :pullhair:

Daghain
08-17-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm not - I still need to pick up a DVD of the last one. I keep forgetting if I have it or not, then I sit in the store and go "Hmmm...don't I have this already?" :lol:

Bethany
08-17-2008, 06:46 PM
W&G.

that's all i'm saying right now.

Daghain
08-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm a little more than half way through my reread of Dreamcatcher and I must say, I like it much better this time around. :)

Ka-mai
08-17-2008, 07:43 PM
well, I promised feevie ages ago that I'd read Prisoner of Azkaban with him. And so I did. I started from the beginning and pushed on through. I'm almost done with Order of the Phoenix. I'm royally pissed off that Warner Brothers push back the release date of Half Blood Prince til next summer. :pullhair:

Someone I know said it was Daniel Radcliffe's fault... I'd love to blame him, simply because he pisses me off. :P

sarah
08-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Yeah, Daniel Radcliffe needs a good beat down. still. :cry: that it is pushed back 11 months.

fernandito
08-17-2008, 07:54 PM
I just ordered Prisoner of Azkaban from Amazon :dance:

Ka-mai
08-17-2008, 09:37 PM
I think Ron and Luna are the only reasons we even watch the movies anymore. :lol: I want to adopt Luna and give her a kitten. As for Ron... rawr. :D

Darkthoughts
08-18-2008, 02:33 AM
I don't know why I watch the HP movies...probably just because I like having an excuse to go to the cinema and my Dad will always drive if it's an HP film (I don't drive and the nearest cinema isn't on any of the bus routes).
But the thing is, I complain through all of them..."that didn't happen!"..."that acting is crap!"..."wtf?!!" :lol: I'm surprised my Dad still wants to go watch them with me!

bluelph24
08-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Prey - Crichton

fernandito
08-18-2008, 10:05 AM
You a big Crichton fan, Blu? Have you read Sphere?

theBeamisHome
08-18-2008, 10:41 AM
i LOVE Sphere!!! :wub:

feev has such good taste

fernandito
08-18-2008, 11:01 AM
:blush:

It really is a great book though. The movie was...ok.

theBeamisHome
08-18-2008, 11:12 AM
yeah.. i saw the movie first and then read the book. the book was way better of course.

fernandito
08-18-2008, 11:15 AM
My favorite part is where SL Jackson first enters the sphere, that maniacal smile that he has :rofl:

On-topic : I'm inching my way through IT while I wait for Prisoner of Azkiban to arrive in the mail.

theBeamisHome
08-18-2008, 11:19 AM
w00t! jump on the IT train. i was scared of the book for so long and then i finally decided i was gonna read it and that was all there was too it! i sure showed me! it's great. i'm still working slowly through Insomnia and i really like it. Kicking myself for not reading it before although i'm glad i got to read the DT series before it.

William50
08-18-2008, 11:26 AM
I loved IT! Right now I am reading Carrie again. It was pretty good.

bluelph24
08-18-2008, 01:49 PM
You a big Crichton fan, Blu? Have you read Sphere?

idk. I'll read him. He's easy and fun. I've read Jurassic park, the lost World, Next, and i'm starting Prey today. I really enjoy reading Crichton after i tackle something bug and complicated, he's fun to relax to.

Unfound One
08-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Finally started The Green Mile for real.
I get to read it duing my breaks at work when there aren't any cars. (Which in the afternoon is a majority of my shift).

sarah
08-19-2008, 08:21 AM
UnfoundOne, I've never read The Green Mile either :gasp: I hear it is worth the read.

I finished Order of the Phoenix last night and I'm off to start Half Blood Prince today. I guess Duma Key is just going to have to wait a bit longer.

Jean
08-19-2008, 08:28 AM
UnfoundOne, I've never read The Green Mile either :gasp:
and I never finished it, and it doesn't look like I ever will

Daghain
08-19-2008, 08:32 AM
I LOVED The Green Mile. :)

Jean
08-19-2008, 08:39 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_whistle.gif

Daghain
08-19-2008, 09:11 AM

jhanic
08-19-2008, 10:14 AM
The Green Mile remains one of my favorite King books.

John

Matt
08-19-2008, 11:11 AM
I totally agree, its worth every minute.

sarah
08-19-2008, 12:38 PM
damn, seriously? one of the best? well I do love the movie version but I don't own the book. I'll add it to The List. :D

Daghain
08-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Oh, I think you'll really like it. :)

jhanic
08-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Definitely! The movie was very, very good, but, as usual, can't compare with the book!

John

Heather19
08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
On-topic : I'm inching my way through IT while I wait for Prisoner of Azkiban to arrive in the mail.

So what part are you up to now? And are you enjoying it more?

stone, rose, unfound door
08-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Mill's "On Liberty" as well as a bunch of Korean poetry collections.
I actually am looking for a good read after finishing Balzac's "Le Père Goriot", which was brilliant after I got further than the description of the hostel from page 1 to 5 (literally made me sleep the first time I read it).

Unfound One
08-19-2008, 04:20 PM
To all who haven't read The Green Mile - do so! And soon!

I spent my entire shift reading bit by bit this morning and then came home and read for a couple hours. I might even finish it tonight. It's great!

Ka-mai
08-19-2008, 07:22 PM
I was going to read Duma Key, but after reading the cover flap, I find myself completely uninterested. :|

KaLikeAWheel
08-19-2008, 07:51 PM
I've just started re-reading Dolores Claiborne. I read it once, long ago, and didn't much care for it. I'm hoping I'll like it better this time.

Donna

fernandito
08-19-2008, 09:35 PM

Hmm, not really. It's 1 or 2 gripping pages in which Pennywise makes an appearance, and then 50 pages of them smiling at each other and building a dam. At this point, the only reason I'm moving forward with it is because I don't like to leave books unfinished :/

I was going to read Duma Key, but after reading the cover flap, I find myself completely uninterested. :|

Don't, just....don't.

what
08-20-2008, 02:21 AM
Finished Eclipse and I'm off to start Breaking Dawn... then its on to Duma Key... i've been curious as to why some don't like it around here....

jhanic
08-20-2008, 05:11 AM
I've just started re-reading Dolores Claiborne. I read it once, long ago, and didn't much care for it. I'm hoping I'll like it better this time.

Donna

If you can, try to get the audio book, read by Frances Sternhagen. It's MARVELOUS!

John

Matt
08-20-2008, 08:19 AM
I think Duma Key is totally worth a read. As usual, the character development is astounding and I think it really says where King is at right now.

Darkthoughts
08-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Couldn't agree more Matt!

bluelph24
08-20-2008, 09:05 AM
LOTR

jayson
08-20-2008, 09:19 AM
LOTR

Always a good choice. Is this a re-read for you or your first time with the series?

Unfound One
08-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Sigh. I really need to re-read LOTR.

Confession: I've read them, but it was in 8th grade and it was really difficult for me to get through them Honestly, I didn't like them much at all.

BUT I was told something really interesting by a random guy at Barnes & Noble last week. I noticed he was reading Harry Potter and we started talking about our essential book series(plural). We both mentioned Chronicles of Narnia, HP, and LOTR. I added DT to the list. He had never heard of DT, so I attempted to sum it up and he said he'd read them if I gave LOTR another try. When I complained that it was too heavy for me and boring, here's what he said:

Read LOTR like a factual history book, not a novel. He said that way the intense sections of detail are so much more interesting and you can get through the loooong boring parts (that I definitely remember) without giving up. This way you appreciate the book so much more, he said.

I'd like to try it, but I need a break from school to do it. Maybe over Christmas. What do LOTR fans think about that advice?

jayson
08-20-2008, 12:21 PM
I think it's excellent advice SJ. There is much in Tolkien's work that reads like history and I often have to remind myself that it didn't really happen.

Also, how can you work at Barnes & Noble and never have even heard of DT? It reminds me of a kid that worked at a Blockbuster Video I went to once that had never heard of This Is Spinal Tap. He asked me "is that a movie?"

John_and_Yoko
08-20-2008, 12:22 PM
I've never heard anyone suggest that, but it's probably sound advice.

After all, Tolkien was a professor, linguist, and mythologist before he was an author of fiction, and it shows.

I should probably do that next time I read it....

Unfound One
08-20-2008, 12:27 PM
It reminds me of a kid that worked at a Blockbuster Video I went to once that had never heard of This Is Spinal Tap. He asked me "is that a movie?"

:lol: Wow.

fernandito
08-20-2008, 12:49 PM
I got Prisoner of Azkiban in the mail today!

:excited:

bluelph24
08-20-2008, 02:58 PM
LOTR

Always a good choice. Is this a re-read for you or your first time with the series?

reread. I started reading in 5th grade. got bored by the end of book five. picked it up a year later and pushed through the last book to finish off RotK and thus the trilogy. Didn't really like it then. too ahrd at the time. i was too bored with it. But i just finished rewatching the extended movies (11:21 :rock: ) and really wnated to do a reread. Plus, that Crichton book read really fast (typical crichton, form my experience) and i need something to read before school starts and before i start a reread of IT.

jayson
08-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Well I hope you enjoy it more this time through. :)

Unfound One
08-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Just finished The Green Mile. It's probably toward the top of my "top 5" list... Wow.

This was the first of SK's novels I've read that is written in the first person - does he write many like that?

I'm also surprised how well the film sticks to the book - and it still makes an excellent film!
See, you CAN "adapt" novels into screenplays without changing everything. :doh:

Heather19
08-20-2008, 03:43 PM

Hmm, not really. It's 1 or 2 gripping pages in which Pennywise makes an appearance, and then 50 pages of them smiling at each other and building a dam. At this point, the only reason I'm moving forward with it is because I don't like to leave books unfinished :/

I'm so sorry Feev, I was really hoping you'd enjoy it the more you got into it.

John_and_Yoko
08-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Took me awhile to get into IT myself, but now I have difficulty thinking of anything else....

Just saying, give it time.

Heather19
08-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Same here. I started to read it years ago, and just couldn't get past the first section with the phone calls. Then I picked it up a couple of years ago, and again struggled thru that first part, but once I got past that section I was hooked, and it has become my favorite book ever.

Sorox the Gunslinger
08-20-2008, 04:02 PM
I just started Apt. Pupil last night. IF you havent heard of it, it's pretty good. Its 3-4 short stories by Stephen King. Im 20 pages away from finishing the first story.

razz
08-20-2008, 04:09 PM
it's weird how i read. i was reading insomnia, but i stopped to read the stand then when i felt like reading i forgot where i put the stand and just picked up Dearly Devoted Dexter, ignoring insomnia.

Daghain
08-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Just finished The Green Mile. It's probably toward the top of my "top 5" list... Wow.

This was the first of SK's novels I've read that is written in the first person - does he write many like that?

I'm also surprised how well the film sticks to the book - and it still makes an excellent film!
See, you CAN "adapt" novels into screenplays without changing everything. :doh:

And thank you for reinforcing my point. :)

I have it in serial novel version. Yep, I bought it one part at a time when it came out. Much more gripping, waiting for the next installment, IMHO. Anyone wants to send me a gift, I'd love it in single novel form in paperback. :lol:

Still, a GREAT read.

bluelph24
08-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Well I hope you enjoy it more this time through. :)

I am! i read the first book today. I'm enjoying it much more this time around, and i havn't even gotton to all the action-y stuff yet. I don't fins it spectacular like some find it, but i do find it enjoyable.

Ka-tet
08-21-2008, 05:28 AM
I just started Red Dragon by Thomas Harris

Tiffany
08-21-2008, 06:06 AM
I didn't start Everything's Eventual right after The Talisman like I said I would. :doh: I am a bad person. :cry: But I'll pick it up as soon as I'm done with my current book, I PROMISE!

I had to jump right into Black House. The beginning was a tad bit slow, which is just like I remember. Other than that, I love it 100% more. I don't think I'd read any Dark Tower books when I first read Black House so the references were totally lost on me.

Turtle and DarkThoughts, thanks for the tips (and for that fantastic list) on Gaiman. I printed the list and made notes on what y'all have told me. And since I got a geeky comic book store membership specifically for the Dark Tower graphic novels, I've been looking for an excuse to really get my money's worth ($10 a year, 10% off everything).
Maybe I'll pick up The Sandman.

KaLikeAWheel
08-21-2008, 07:35 AM
I have it in serial novel version. Yep, I bought it one part at a time when it came out. Much more gripping, waiting for the next installment, IMHO.

When Green Mile first came out in serialized form I was still seriously pissed at Steve for how long I'd been waiting for Wizard and Glass and I refused to buy it until it was finished! (Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, etc.) It was the first Stephen King story I didn't buy the second it hit the shelves. I was always kinda sorry I missed the excitement.

Donna

KaLikeAWheel
08-21-2008, 07:53 AM
Okay, I just finished re-reading Delores Claiborne and now I remember WHY I didn't like it. First of all, there are, like, NO chapter breaks!! I am completely incapable of putting a book down to go to sleep until I come to a chapter break! Thank Ka it's a short book or I would have been in real trouble! Also, I like the story and I always love first person, but the way it's done in this book is just distracting.
Every time Delores would stop telling her story to talk to the people who were supposed to be taking her statment, it completely disrupted the flow of the story for me. I've never seen the movie, but I think I'll rent it. This may be the one-in-a-million case where I'll like the movie better than the book.

Now I've just started re-reading The Talisman (for the hundreth time). ::sigh:: I love Wolf:wub:. ::Sniffle::
Donna

bluelph24
08-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Okay, I just finished re-reading Delores Claiborne and now I remember WHY I didn't like it. First of all, there are, like, NO chapter breaks!! I am completely incapable of putting a book down to go to sleep until I come to a chapter break! Thank Ka it's a short book or I would have been in real trouble! Also, I like the story and I always love first person, but the way it's done in this book is just distracting.
Every time Delores would stop telling her story to talk to the people who were supposed to be taking her statment, it completely disrupted the flow of the story for me. I've never seen the movie, but I think I'll rent it. This may be the one-in-a-million case where I'll like the movie better than the book.

Now I've just started re-reading The Talisman (for the hundreth time). ::sigh:: I love Wolf:wub:. ::Sniffle::
Donna

funny thing about the movie, it has John C. reilly in it. I kinda laughed a little when i saw Cal Naughton Jr. of Talladega Nights in that movie. lol

TLC
08-21-2008, 08:26 AM
I am also now reading The road to the dark tower by Bev Vincent.
Very interesting!

it seems I just can't let go of the tower!!!

Brice
08-21-2008, 08:29 AM
I am rereading that myself.

William50
08-21-2008, 08:30 AM
The Tower is something that will stay with you forever! :cowboy:

Right now I am reading Everything's Eventual. Pretty good so far. :)

Daghain
08-21-2008, 01:08 PM
I am also now reading The road to the dark tower by Bev Vincent.
Very interesting!

it seems I just can't let go of the tower!!!

:thumbsup:

Good choice.

Woofer
08-22-2008, 03:20 AM
An equipment summary. Yeah, it's work-related.

Girlystevedave
08-22-2008, 10:16 AM
I started Harry Potter yesterday and I am really really enjoying it. :nana:

jhanic
08-22-2008, 10:18 AM
I envy you the future enjoyment of the HP series!

John

VastOne
08-22-2008, 10:37 AM
I am listening to The Dark Tower on audio and must confess I am enjoying this more than when I read it the first time.

I tune into a really good ambient station from cryosleep and it is amazing how the back ground music lends the perfect drama tracts to the audio.

I am currently at the end of Blaine just as the Ka-tet is discovering Captain Trips....and then of course onto Roland's childhood and firs Ka-tet.

I would highly advise anyone who can get the Audio version to give it a whirl...

VastOne

bluelph24
08-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Finished LOTR (nailed that sucker down in 5 days). Much better than i remember.

No onto IT reread

Daghain
08-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Just finished a reread of Dreamcatcher (much better the second time around, I must add) and am on to Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Only 60 pages in and I'm totally hooked!

lipgloss_and_revolver
08-24-2008, 06:33 PM
I am listening to The Dark Tower on audio and must confess I am enjoying this more than when I read it the first time.

Sounds good. I hope that will be available here!

Anyway, I'm currently reading Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk.

Girlystevedave
08-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Finished Sorcerer's Stone....Just started Chamber of Secrets.

Jon
08-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Idlewild - Nick Sagan

what
08-25-2008, 02:06 AM
I finished Book 4 of the Twilight Series... it was the best by far of the 4 books... on to Duma Key

Heather19
08-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Just finished a reread of Dreamcatcher (much better the second time around, I must add) and am on to Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Only 60 pages in and I'm totally hooked!

Is this your first time reading Heart Shaped Box? And have you checked out 20th Century Ghosts yet?

Daghain
08-25-2008, 01:48 PM
First for Heart Shaped Box, and I have the paperback of 20th Century Ghosts on preorder. :)

Heather19
08-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Nice, if you enjoy that one, I definately recommend checking out the other when your finished.

William50
08-25-2008, 02:25 PM
I am reading the Tommyknockers for the 3rd time. It never gets old to me. :cool:

educatedlady
08-25-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm reading How To Read Literature Like a Professor. I'm loving it. If I ever teach a literature course I will have them read this book before we get into the actual stuff. There are a lot of good tips and I think it would really help college freshman/sophomores and even high school students if they want to actually understand what a professor or teacher is discussing (in some cases without actually having to know anything). Ha. I'm such a freaking English nerd.

Unfound One
08-25-2008, 09:05 PM
I just started Twilight today... There's been so much hype about these books I just had to give in.

Daghain
08-25-2008, 09:06 PM
I have two in paperback...true to my nature I'm trying to wait until closer til the third is going to paperback because I'm too cheap to buy hardcover. :lol:

fernandito
08-25-2008, 09:08 PM
I just started Twilight today... There's been so much hype about these books I just had to give in.

This will probably happen to me too, it's already happened once before...*coughHP*

Unfound One
08-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah, well, aren't you glad you did?!? :cyclops:

fernandito
08-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Affirmative...

The Lady of Shadows
08-25-2008, 09:32 PM
*listening to phantoms on audiobook (one of the four koontz books i can stand)

*reading house of leaves (did i mention this is a weird fucking book?)

*listening to pseudopod (fucking love this podcast)

*reading the things they carried by tim o'brien for the fifth time (god this guy can make me laugh and then realize i'm laughing and think i'm a horrible person for doing it; then make me cry and not even realize i'm crying until i notice the teardrops on the page. if you haven't read this book, drop what you are reading and get it. it is so worth your time.)

Unfound One
08-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Annnnnd (five hours later) I just finished Twilight. :lol:
I'm starting New Moon tomorrow.

lophophoras
08-26-2008, 03:40 AM
Vampyrrhic by Simon Clark - Pretty good so far!

what
08-26-2008, 04:04 AM

I've been debating on whether or not to get that... I'm might pick it up now!

lophophoras
08-26-2008, 05:23 AM

I've been debating on whether or not to get that... I'm might pick it up now!

I got Vampyrrhic and Vampyrrhic Rites from Cemetery Dance a while back and finally got around to reading them.

It started out a little slow at first but gets better once you get acquainted with the characters.

alinda
08-26-2008, 06:29 AM
Sill rereading Duma Key, slowest I've ever read a book.
I am having a hard time concentrating ...
much like the characters in the story minus the obvious physical dysfunctions

Heather19
08-26-2008, 02:42 PM
*reading the things they carried by tim o'brien for the fifth time (god this guy can make me laugh and then realize i'm laughing and think i'm a horrible person for doing it; then make me cry and not even realize i'm crying until i notice the teardrops on the page. if you haven't read this book, drop what you are reading and get it. it is so worth your time.)

What's it about?

Rjeso
08-26-2008, 02:48 PM
I LOVE The Things They Carried. It is the only book that I ever had to read for an English class that I ran out and bought for myself. It was so good that I remembered everything about it and got every question, including the bonus questions, correct on the test. It just stuck with me. So yeah, drop everything and read it, it's amazing.

Heather - it's about soldiers in the Vietnam War. It tells stories from the platoon and about the soldiers individually. It touches on so many things, it's hard to describe.

Anyway, I'm currently reading:

The last installment of the Otherland series by Tad Williams
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
Salems Lot

The Lady of Shadows
08-26-2008, 03:05 PM

What's it about?

it's about Tim O'Brien's time in Viet Nam. he changed some of the names at the request of his company members but it's true.

it's about what they had with them. it's about how they died and how they lived. it's about how and who they fought - both the vietnamese and each other. it's about who they loved and who they lost. it's about death and survival. it's about life.

it's the only book that made me cry while reading it in the bookstore and i didn't realize i was crying until someone walked up to me and asked me if i was okay. when i showed him what i was reading, he just nodded and walked away. (he had either read the book or been in the war, i never found out which.)

I LOVE The Things They Carried. It is the only book that I ever had to read for an English class that I ran out and bought for myself. It was so good that I remembered everything about it and got every question, including the bonus questions, correct on the test. It just stuck with me. So yeah, drop everything and read it, it's amazing.

Anyway, I'm currently reading:

The last installment of the Otherland series by Tad Williams
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
Salems Lot

are we related? i love the otherland series! i try to reread it every year. and neal stephenson is on my list of all time favorite authors. and, well, we all know how i feel about sai king! :couple:

Rjeso
08-26-2008, 03:10 PM
:D Hell yeah, you obviously have excellent taste in books.

Otherland is constant reread material for me. I like Williams' other books (Tailchaser's Song was the first one I ever read, back when I was 10 or so), but Otherland is tops. I tend to finish Sea Of Silver Light then start right over again at City of Golden Shadow, hee.

I love how you described TTTC. Perfect.

I adore Stephenson's sense of humor. You don't see it coming, and then all of a sudden you're laughing out loud. So dry, so well done. Plus, he's lived in Ames, IA, and I'm from thereabouts. Hell, my grandparents once knew, like, everyone in their town, so they might even know him. Hee.

Brainslinger
08-26-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. I'm only a few chapters in, but so far so good. I wonder if I'll be able to keep track of all the characters though.

ladysai
08-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm sure you'll be able to keep up with the characters, Brainslinger!
They're engaging enough to be remembered.

Enjoy the series!!!

(I sure did!)

:D

Unfound One
08-26-2008, 10:19 PM
So.... I read New Moon today, and tomorrow I'm planning on reading Eclipse.
These books are addicting. And good. And I feel like a 12 year old pre-teen reading them because I love them so much. :cyclops:

Seymour_Glass
08-27-2008, 05:23 AM
I just started Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut. I'm loving it like a Southern Fried Chicken Sandwich from Mickey D's.

Heather19
08-27-2008, 04:33 PM
I've got a silly question about Jane Eyre, for those that have read it.
I'm listening to the audiobook so I don't have it written in front of me, but does Mr. Rochester sometimes call Jane, Janet for some reason or am I just mishearing what's being said?

BeDaN
08-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Literally just finished Dean Koontz's "Velocity" about 20 min ago. Deciding on whether I wanna read "It" or go in a different direction.

razz
08-27-2008, 05:16 PM
There's this book series"The Rabbi". I remember one of Them was "Friday the Rabbi Slept Late". I was wondering about them, and wanted to know if anyione read them and if they're worth reading.

Jean
08-27-2008, 10:17 PM
I've got a silly question about Jane Eyre, for those that have read it.
I'm listening to the audiobook so I don't have it written in front of me, but does Mr. Rochester sometimes call Jane, Janet for some reason or am I just mishearing what's being said?
no, you're not mishearing; for example:

He checked himself in his exultation to demand, "But is there anything the matter, Janet, that you come to meet me at such an hour? Is there anything wrong?"

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

The bear is always happy when people enjoy books he loves!

jhanic
08-28-2008, 03:48 AM
There's this book series"The Rabbi". I remember one of Them was "Friday the Rabbi Slept Late". I was wondering about them, and wanted to know if anyione read them and if they're worth reading.

If you like mysteries, they're pretty good. My wife loves them.

John

Tiffany
08-28-2008, 05:36 AM
I finished Black House. I liked it 100% more the second time around. It helps to have read the Dark Tower books first. Would I put it on my list of favorites? No, but still...much better the second time around.
:cowboy:
I also read "The Little Sisters of Eluria." I'm glad I did. I missed Roland.

And NOW I've started American Gods. I started last night, I'm 117 pages in and I love it.

Daghain
08-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Just finished Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill and am going to start a reread of Everything's Eventual.

fernandito
08-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Everyone has read Heart Shaped Box but me. :(

theBeamisHome
08-28-2008, 09:01 AM
i haven't feev :D

and Tiffany :excited: yay!!! I just read it.. umm last month i think and i loved it!

Brice
08-28-2008, 09:03 AM
:o Go...now...read it.

theBeamisHome
08-28-2008, 09:05 AM
oh. ummm.... ok.
*googlesearch*

jayson
08-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Everyone has read Heart Shaped Box but me. :(

I haven't either. I intend to, but every time I go to the bookstore order books online I end up getting something else.

theBeamisHome
08-28-2008, 09:12 AM
the wiki makes me wanna read it