PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

jhanic
07-19-2008, 06:56 AM
A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer. It's the first in what is to be a trilogy, recounting his abusive (to put it mildly) childhood. If you want a true horror book, this is the one.

John

Jean
07-19-2008, 07:24 AM
A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer. It's the first in what is to be a trilogy, recounting his abusive (to put it mildly) childhood. If you want a true horror book, this is the one.

John
I read this one, too. Some things surprized me about it, though - didn't quite seem to jibe. I knew later that there were some serious doubts about the authenticity of the story, so probably my suspicions weren't totally groundless.

Ruthful
07-19-2008, 01:19 PM
That's why I try not to read too many of those memoirs essentially revolving around the author's abusive childhood. Occasionally they're worth reading even when you realize most of the contents is made up, e.g. Running with Scissors.

razz
07-19-2008, 02:12 PM
i just began firestarter. is it any good?

William50
07-19-2008, 02:44 PM
I read Firestarter. I thought it was an ok book ( but not good enough to read twice).

Darkthoughts
07-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Firestarter seems to be one of those love it/hate it ones - personally I loved it :thumbsup:

Ruthful
07-19-2008, 05:26 PM
I think Firestarter is great. Rainbird is one of the best villains Stephen King has ever created, in my opinion.

razz
07-19-2008, 06:35 PM
thanks. i read it then

Jean
07-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Firestarter seems to be one of those love it/hate it ones - personally I loved it :thumbsup:
well, I didn't either love or hate it. I liked it to some extent, but the very thought of re-reading it bores me... maybe in a decade or two I will

The Lady of Shadows
07-20-2008, 01:15 PM
i don't think any sai king book should be on the don't read list - except gerald's game. and we all know how i feel about gerald's game. :lol:

there are those on the don't read again list though. but even that changes. i thought the tommyknockers was one of those but i reread it again this summer and fell in love with it. and realized that that poem that has been rolling around in my head for the last 20 years is gard's poem for bobbi. go figure.

William50
07-20-2008, 04:59 PM
I thought that the Tommyknockers was a great book. I have read it 4 times in the last 2years.

obscurejude
07-20-2008, 07:50 PM
I thought that the Tommyknockers was a great book. I have read it 4 times in the last 2years.

I've never heard that, nor expected to, and particularly from a 14 year old. I'm glad you enjoyed so much William, but you are certainly in the minority.

Ka-mai
07-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Gerald's Game made me laugh at first, just at the situation. But it's kind of scary because you know that has to have happened to someone somewhere....

My mom once told me this story of this couple, and the man was dressed as Batman and jumped off the dresser towards the bed, but somehow got caught on the lighting fixture and fell or something... either way, it ended in an embarrassing 911 call. :lol:

obscurejude
07-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Gerald's Game made me laugh at first, just at the situation. But it's kind of scary because you know that has to have happened to someone somewhere....

My mom once told me this story of this couple, and the man was dressed as Batman and jumped off the dresser towards the bed, but somehow got caught on the lighting fixture and fell or something... either way, it ended in an embarrassing 911 call. :lol:

I heard the same story and decided to take my girlfriend's chandalier (sp) out of her bedroom. :ninja:

Ka-mai
07-20-2008, 07:59 PM
That's why I try not to read too many of those memoirs essentially revolving around the author's abusive childhood. Occasionally they're worth reading even when you realize most of the contents is made up, e.g. Running with Scissors.

I saw the movie of that and I just knew that couldn't be true. "Memoir" or no. It seems like most "memoirs" are total bullshit.

I'm reading American Gods, because you all kept talking about it. :P It's good. I could have sworn Gaiman was gay while I read it, but Matt told me I was wrong. :lol: Guess my literary gaydar is off.

obscurejude
07-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Guess my literary gaydar is off.

:rofl:

The Lady of Shadows
07-20-2008, 08:10 PM

I heard the same story and decided to take my girlfriend's chandalier (sp) out of her bedroom. :ninja:

so, ryan. how often do you go jumping off dressers and such dressed as batman? :wtf:

obscurejude
07-20-2008, 08:11 PM

so, ryan. how often do you go jumping off dressers and such dressed as batman? :wtf:

A lot more often, now that that goddamn light fixtures have been removed. :lol:

Jean
07-20-2008, 09:40 PM

I've never heard that, nor expected to, and particularly from a 14 year old. I'm glad you enjoyed so much William, but you are certainly in the minority.
I've re-read it recently, and found it exceptionally good. I don't think I would re-read it every half-year, but I certainly do love it.

bluelph24
07-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne

Seymour_Glass
07-21-2008, 05:04 PM
On the Road is awesome. I'm in the reading of that one.

razz
07-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Dammit, i can't find my copy of Firestarter. so i guess i will re-read Drawing of the Three

William50
07-21-2008, 06:00 PM
You lost it?

William50
07-21-2008, 06:03 PM
I just bought this book today and it is awsome. I have been reading all day.
http://www.imagineai.com/capstone/images/books/1566196035.jpg

razz
07-21-2008, 06:09 PM
no idea where it is :cry:

Ka-mai
07-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Eldorado is fantastic.

Ok, so, finished American Gods. Loved it. Morbid little detail I just loved?

At the end when you find out Hinzelmann has been killing kids every year... and then I remembered in the beginning when he asks Shadow to buy the raffle tickets for the klunker on the lake, and it's for a charity, and Shadow says something like "it's a thank you for saving my life" and Hinzelmann goes (in a suddenly serious tone) "No, its for the children".

:shock:

:lol: I loved it. Such a tiny detail with such perfect darkness. I freaked when I remembered he said that. Wow. I just can't get over it.

Jean
07-21-2008, 09:44 PM
::dies of envy::

obscurejude
07-21-2008, 09:50 PM
::applies defibulator to bear::

Jean
07-21-2008, 10:12 PM
::resurrects::

::mutters exerpts from Lenore::

obscurejude
07-21-2008, 10:17 PM
:rofl:

gsvec
07-22-2008, 06:50 AM
"Ladies Night" by Jack Ketchum

sarah
07-22-2008, 06:55 AM
Duma Key on audio is still staring at me with annoyance. I started Chamber of Secrets yesterday.

fernandito
07-22-2008, 07:42 AM
I started Chamber of Secrets yesterday.

I'm about 180 pgs. shy of completing A Clash of Kings, so it looks like our schedules will coincide for some PoA fun! :couple:

Daghain
07-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Just finished rereading Dolores Claiborne and am reading The Hotel New Hampshire by John Iriving.

theBeamisHome
07-22-2008, 11:25 AM
I finished American Gods too..

I liked it, I must say the Gaiman is one of the few authors to actually surprise me with a plot twist.. or just do something i wasn't expecting rather.

The Lady of Shadows
07-22-2008, 07:07 PM
went to the bookstore today and couldn't resist the stephen king section (yeah, i know - like there was actually going to be anything there i don't already have :rolleyes:). but i grabbed a copy of the long walk and sat with it with my pretzel and iced tea.

oh my god. i had totally forgotten about the impact of this story. i sat there and cried through the ending. i had forgotten so much of the, fuck, the impact. i had forgotten. . . .

damn. i had just forgotten.

John_and_Yoko
07-22-2008, 07:09 PM
STILL reading From a Buick 8, but I fully intend to finish it today. Only have one chapter left to go.

razz
07-22-2008, 07:27 PM
i just checked out the Talisman and Insomnia from the library today...and an origami book.

gsvec
07-22-2008, 07:27 PM
I have an origami calendar - new sheet every day with instructions on the back.

razz
07-22-2008, 07:33 PM
that's what this is. i got it in the library store. it's from 2004 tho, but it works for me.

razz
07-22-2008, 07:56 PM
sounds like a fun idea. i'm not the one to start it though

William50
07-22-2008, 08:07 PM
http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/characters/character0010.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

Jean
07-22-2008, 08:07 PM
went to the bookstore today and couldn't resist the stephen king section (yeah, i know - like there was actually going to be anything there i don't already have :rolleyes:). but i grabbed a copy of the long walk and sat with it with my pretzel and iced tea.

oh my god. i had totally forgotten about the impact of this story. i sat there and cried through the ending. i had forgotten so much of the, fuck, the impact. i had forgotten. . . .

damn. i had just forgotten.
when those kids start helping each other, against all logic, right? when those two sit down and speak God-knows-what language, perfectly understanding each other, when Garraty says, "kill me"? I can't even think about it without a lump in my throat, and last time I read it was about four years ago

Girlystevedave
07-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Started The Shining a little while ago...first read. :)

William50
07-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Ah, a classic. A GREAT read!

Girlystevedave
07-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah..I'm pretty excited.

And William, :thumbsup: on the Edgar Allan Poe book. It's very pretty. :drool: I have a super old one that is falling apart. :lol:

William50
07-22-2008, 08:21 PM

And William, :thumbsup: on the Edgar Allan Poe book. It's very pretty. :drool: I have a super old one that is falling apart. :lol:

I have 5 different Edgar Allen Poe books. They all have the same stories in them, but I guess you could call me a collector!

Girlystevedave
07-22-2008, 08:23 PM
It's a good thing to collect. :)

William50
07-22-2008, 08:28 PM
I believe that everyone collects something. Even if they don't know it.

ManOfWesternesse
07-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Finished my current re-read of 'The Great Hunt' - Book 2 of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series last night & started on Book3 'The Dragon Reborn' this morning.

John_and_Yoko
07-23-2008, 12:43 AM
FINALLY finished From a Buick 8.

Probably start Desperation and The Regulators next month (considering reading both at the same time).

jayson
07-23-2008, 05:08 AM
Probably start Desperation and The Regulators next month (considering reading both at the same time).

I'd read them one at a time to avoid confusion. You'll understand why once you're done.

sarah
07-23-2008, 06:46 AM
Started The Shining a little while ago...first read. :)

oooooo post in The Shining thread when you finish. I want to hear all the parts you thought were scary. ><

what
07-23-2008, 06:57 AM
Just finished Swine Not?... I guess I'll finally start Twilight now... gotta read what I got before I buy more i guess...

alinda
07-23-2008, 07:04 AM
I currently am reading your posts....I believe it's
about time to go to the book store again!
( not that I am not rivited by your posts ...I am!) ;)

John_and_Yoko
07-23-2008, 09:01 AM

I'd read them one at a time to avoid confusion. You'll understand why once you're done.

Oh?

alinda
07-23-2008, 09:04 AM
yeah, you'll notice theres a little situation
with peoples names...kind of like :
The names have been changed to protect
the innocent...but not really.
Both really good reads tho' I think!

Edited to include spoiler tag...sorry!:ninja:

jayson
07-23-2008, 09:04 AM

Oh?

I suppose I could elaborate a bit more without it being a spoiler or ruining anything for you. In both of these books King uses the same names for many of the characters. They are not the same characters, but the names and some characteristics are the same. If you read the books simultaneously this could prove confusing. If you read them one right after the other (as I did) it shouldn't be an issue.

John_and_Yoko
07-23-2008, 09:06 AM
I suppose I could elaborate a bit more without it being a spoiler or ruining anything for you. In both of these books King uses the same names for many of the characters. They are not the same characters, but the names and some characteristics are the same. If you read the books simultaneously this could prove confusing. If you read them one right after the other (as I did) it shouldn't be an issue.

I kind of wondered if that was it--and you're right, you haven't spoiled anything for me, as I was aware of that already.

The reason I wanted to read both at the same time was to keep what happens in each in my mind so that I can better compare the two in my mind. ;)

But thanks! :)

jayson
07-23-2008, 09:09 AM
No prob J&Y. Like I said, I read them back-to-back, Desperation first, and found that it was still fresh in my mind while reading The Regulators. However you decide read them, hope you enjoy them both. I did.

John_and_Yoko
07-23-2008, 09:13 AM
No prob J&Y. Like I said, I read them back-to-back, Desperation first, and found that it was still fresh in my mind while reading The Regulators. However you decide read them, hope you enjoy them both. I did.

Thanks, I hope I will! :)

The Lady of Shadows
07-23-2008, 02:43 PM
went to the bookstore again today (yeah, i hang out there). figured what the hell and picked up the running man. read it in one sitting. once again, i had forgotten what that story was truly about. and i never realized all the connections to the dark tower and IT that were in it. i guess because i had forgotten, having read it so long ago.

and jean - what you said about the long walk is so true. and what about the rabbit. oh man. the fucking rabbit.

you know, i read those stories now and i think: how can a person survive with all that inside them? how can a person exist with all that swirling around in their head, all day every day, world without end? and then i realize: they can't and that's why he writes. he'd be in a psychiatric institute if he didn't. he'd have to be.

razz
07-23-2008, 02:45 PM
i hate the fact that your able to spend an entire day at a bookstore

razz
07-23-2008, 02:59 PM
you know i was thinking of riding my bike up to the GV mall tomorra. there's a new used bookstore right across the street. apparently they gots really good deals

William50
07-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Nice. Look for some SK books.

Míchéal
07-23-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm reading IT at the minute

Woofer
07-23-2008, 04:02 PM
About 10 pages into The Long Walk.

{snip} but you people keep talking about rage and the long walk {/snip}

About 10 pages into The Long Walk.

Oooh, that's my favorite in the book. Let me know how you like it.

Will do. Its so highly recommended by people that I admire. I'm sure it won't disappoint.

Guess what I started this evening? Also, I have finished my previous reading and moved on to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and The Idiot.

I've re-read it recently, and found it exceptionally good. I don't think I would re-read it every half-year, but I certainly do love it.

Once again, what Jean said.

My favorite Edgar Allen Poe is Eldorado.
Just love that poem!

If I didn't know for a fact that I have never had children, William50, I'd swear you're mine!

Alex, I love El Dorado. I recited it for our poetry competition in grammar school.

I believe that everyone collects something. Even if they don't know it.

Very insightful.

Daghain
07-23-2008, 04:53 PM

Thanks, I hope I will! :)

DEFINITELY read them back-to-back. You'll get a lot more out of them that way. I just finished them a few weeks ago (rereads) and it's hard enough to keep track of who's who one book at a time. :)

ETA: Just got a copy of collected poems by W.H. Auden from Amazon today. Think I'll take that one to work and peruse it over my lunch hour for the next few days.

Ka-mai
07-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Finished Anansi Boys last night. Today I started The Complete Hitchhiker's Guide, and I'm also halfway through Zen and the Art of Poker (I think that's the title, anyway).

razz
07-23-2008, 05:55 PM
apparently the Genesee Valley mall is too far to bike. so i guess i'm gonna get a ride. this is my mum talking not me

William50
07-23-2008, 05:57 PM
My mom is always messing with my plans. Grrrrrr!

The Lady of Shadows
07-23-2008, 06:28 PM
i hate the fact that your able to spend an entire day at a bookstore

it wasn't the entire day razzle dazzle, it was only three (3) hours. it's not that long of a novella. i love the bookstore. i live at the bookstore. that's why they're always telling me i should just work there. :lol:

razz
07-23-2008, 06:39 PM
i would love to work at a bookstore.

citiesburnred
07-23-2008, 10:48 PM
I just finished World War Z (took a while kept getting distracted and only reading like...5 pages a day but really enjoyed it) and just started reading Stalin's Ghost by Martin Cruz Smith

Tiffany
07-24-2008, 06:16 AM
Still working through Skeleton Crew. So far my favorite short story is "Survivor Type." Ewww, creeeeepy!
Right now I'm in the middle of "Ballad of the Flexible Bullet." So far, so good.

I've picked up so many books in the past couple weeks that I'm not sure which to start next.

bluelph24
07-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Finished Anansi Boys last night. Today I started The Complete Hitchhiker's Guide, and I'm also halfway through Zen and the Art of Poker (I think that's the title, anyway).

coincidentally, i too have just started the ultimate hitchhiker's guide. it's really good so far.

theBeamisHome
07-24-2008, 12:37 PM

coincidentally, i too have just started the ultimate hitchhiker's guide. it's really good so far.

i am indescribably jealous of both of you because it's your first time reading it. the all-important towel entry is my favorite part of the whole thing i think.

Brice
07-25-2008, 07:42 AM

I have 5 different Edgar Allen Poe books. They all have the same stories in them, but I guess you could call me a collector!

I have a VERY old copy of his complete works with some differences in story titles and minor textual variations. It cost me a dollar or two at an antique store.

fernandito
07-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Rereading The Watchmen.

:pirate:

bluelph24
07-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Rereading The Watchmen.

:pirate:

awesome. i personally can't wait for the movie in march. have you seen the trailer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4blSrZvPhU

fernandito
07-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Plenty of times :D

I even have it saved onto my phone so that I can watch it whenever I feel the urge to :cyclops:

William50
07-25-2008, 06:38 PM
I have never read The Talisman. I have been meaning to but I always end up reading something else.

William50
07-25-2008, 06:47 PM
I've heard that there are alot of DT connections in The Talisman.

Unfound One
07-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Not so many in the Talisman, but definitely in Black House!
I highly recommend both William. :thumbsup:
Alex - how far into the Talisman are you?

Daghain
07-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Oh, I am heartbroken. I LOVE The Talisman! :cry:

Unfound One
07-25-2008, 08:17 PM
:couple:

Girlystevedave
07-26-2008, 05:00 AM
Finished The Shining last night.....I think I may start The Long walk. :orely:

Brice
07-26-2008, 05:08 AM
Yes, you should.

I just finished DT VI and am starting DTVII. :D

Disincarnate
07-26-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm reading Hell House by Richard Matheson right now. Pretty standard haunted house novel so far. I like it.

I just finished the first Anita Blake novel by Laurell K. Hamilton the other day too. Hooray for trashy sci-fi vampire romance! Not extraordinary literature, but a great read nonetheless.

Disincarnate
07-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Ha. First post on this board and I double post. Sweeet. Sorry.

William50
07-26-2008, 06:36 PM
I have finished The Green Mile and I am now reading Insomnia. I loved the Green Mile by the way. :thumbsup:

William50
07-26-2008, 07:57 PM
I have both of those but I haven't gotten around to them yet.
I think the talisman is going to take me a while.

Why? Is it hard to read or just long?

William50
07-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Maybe you should set it aside and read something else.

Jon
07-26-2008, 09:04 PM
I think you will find that book worth your time.

Jean
07-26-2008, 09:27 PM
reading Duma Key now, about 50 pages into it and so far loving it about 50 times more than Lisey Story at the same stage... at least I learned about the main character something other than how underwear sticks in the crack of their ass...

Girlystevedave
07-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Finished The Shining last night.....I think I may start The Long walk. :orely:

Let me know when you finish the long walk.
I hear other people talk about it and I feel like I didn't read the same book.
I must be missing something!
Talk to me about it when you finish it, please.

Yes, you should.

I lied. I'm not gonna read The Long Walk yet. Instead I picked up The Chronicles of Narnia today and started it. I think The Shining gave me enough suspense for a while...and The Hobbit just fueled my desire for something more magical and fantasy filled. We'll see how it goes. :)

I'm finding it rather dull.
I don't even like the main character, Jack.

The Talisman is one of my favorite books, but I found myself really bored with the story up to a certain point, then BAM! I was hooked. I do hope that it picks up for you.
Otherwise, maybe you should put it aside for another day.

William50
07-26-2008, 09:40 PM
reading Duma Key now, about 50 pages into it and so far loving it about 50 times more than Lisey Story at the same stage... at least I learned about the main character something other than how underwear sticks in the crack of their ass...

:lol:

John Blaze
07-27-2008, 03:37 AM
just finished Dead Man's Walk. and as soon as my local used bookstore gets Comanche Moon I will be done with the Lonesome Dove series.

these are really good books.

jhanic
07-27-2008, 03:50 AM
I'm going to start World War Z in a couple days. I've read on this board so many good things about it that I had to get it.

John

John Blaze
07-27-2008, 03:53 AM
starting The Thorne Birds.

forgot to mention i also read Crichton's Lost World for the first time. It was good; although it was very short.

Ruthful
07-27-2008, 04:30 AM
just finished Dead Man's Walk. and as soon as my local used bookstore gets Comanche Moon I will be done with the Lonesome Dove series.

Lonesome Dove is probably the best piece of literature, outside of Tom Wolfe and Charles Mingus's memoir, which I read for my major. I have the other three novels in that series on my bookshelf, but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

jayson
07-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Lonesome Dove is probably the best piece of literature, outside of Tom Wolfe and Charles Mingus's memoir, which I read for my major. I have the other three novels in that series on my bookshelf, but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

By Mingus' memoir do you mean "Beneath the Underdog"? That was a great read.

John Blaze
07-27-2008, 01:59 PM

Streets of Laredo is slow at times, but when it's good it's sad.

and Dead Man's walk was good, but not as good as LD.

Ruthful
07-27-2008, 02:37 PM

By Mingus' memoir do you mean "Beneath the Underdog"? That was a great read.

Yes, it's probably my favorite autobiography written by a musician. Although, I hear that Slash's memoir is pretty wicked.

:P

I have to find where the other McMurtry novels I have are buried now.

fernandito
07-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Hoping to start Prisoner of Azkaban within the next few days. :)

Oy of Mid-World
07-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Just finished Swan Song. Now I'm reading A Game of Thrones, about 200 pages in and I've had to force myself to read it sometimes hoping it would pick up and I would get into it, but it hasn't really happened so far.

Also interested in trying Palahniuk, read like half of Fight Club when my friend left it at my place one day, didn't finish it before he picked it up, gotta borrow it and finish it:p Anyone got suggestions on another book of his to start with?

jayson
07-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Yes, it's probably my favorite autobiography written by a musician.

It's right up there for me as well along with "The Real Frank Zappa Book" by FZ.

Shamey
07-27-2008, 04:46 PM
i had to take a short hiatus from my X-Wing Rogue Squadron book due to my puppy confusing it for a chew toy. :doh: I bought another one.

William50
07-27-2008, 04:56 PM
That is why I don't have pets. I have a fish, but he is quite fond of books.

Shamey
07-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Yeah, well it's certainly made us better about keeping the house clean :)

William50
Hi Alex. I just got a feeling of Déjà vu.

William50
Hey Shamey, I like your avatar.

Unfound One
07-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Are you starting to like The Talisman Alex?

Heather19
Also interested in trying Palahniuk, read like half of Fight Club when my friend left it at my place one day, didn't finish it before he picked it up, gotta borrow it and finish it:p Anyone got suggestions on another book of his to start with?

Check out Lullaby. Great read.

Shamey
Hey Shamey, I like your avatar.

Well thank you! It is a clay version of myself :) My assistant made it for me

bluelph24
07-27-2008, 05:21 PM
The Big Sleep - Chandler

Candice Dionysus
07-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Wolffile. I don't remember who its by, and am too lazy to look.

Unfound One
07-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Are you starting to like The Talisman Alex?

Well, Jack seems to be getting a little smarter, finally!
I hope it gets better later on.:unsure:

It will! :thumbsup:

Unfound One
07-27-2008, 05:34 PM
And oh yeah...

I'm going to finish IT tonight!!!
:excited::excited::excited:

Shamey
07-27-2008, 05:35 PM
And oh yeah...

I'm going to finish IT tonight!!!
:excited::excited::excited:

NICE! That's one of my favorites!

William50
07-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi Alex. I just got a feeling of Déjà vu.

Don't worry, I'm not stalking you!

What are you reading right now? I know you've said, But I can't remember what it was.
I'm still on The Talisman.:thumbsup:

Right now I am reading Insomnia. The first time I read it I didn't really like it, so maybe if I read it again I will enjoy it more.

William50
07-27-2008, 06:40 PM
I think you should read it, but only because it has some DT connections. It is one of those love it or hate it books.

William50
07-27-2008, 06:44 PM
After reading the DT series, it is really fun to see a connection in a book. Gets me all excited! :excited:

fernandito
07-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Now I'm reading A Game of Thrones, about 200 pages in and I've had to force myself to read it sometimes hoping it would pick up and I would get into it, but it hasn't really happened so far.

Stick with it Oy - it gets much better as it goes on, many others here would vouch for it. I had trouble getting into it a first also, but luckily I decied to stick with it - I just finished the second book and I have to say I'm pretty much addicted. You won't regret it.

William50
07-27-2008, 06:52 PM
I know what you mean!
But Skeleton Crew was a real disapointment.
I had to ask Turtlesong what the connections were in it, I would never have guessed on my own!

I enjoyed Skeleton Crew, but I read it before I read the DT so I wasn't looking for connections like I am now. I may just read it again.

William50
07-27-2008, 07:21 PM
You have not seen it yet? It is a great movie! It was nice and creepy.

William50
07-27-2008, 07:33 PM
I saw it in the movie theater. The size of the screen makes it better. :) You should rent it on DVD. At least I think it's on DVD.

Daghain
07-27-2008, 08:03 PM

Read Haunted. Just don't do it while you're eating, especially if you're more than halfway through. Just sayin'. :)

The Big Sleep - Chandler

Great book!

And, JB, The Thorn Birds is an excellent book. I think you'll enjoy it. :)

Unfound One
07-27-2008, 09:58 PM
I just finished IT and I'm a fucking wreck.

John Blaze
07-27-2008, 10:05 PM
And, JB, The Thorn Birds is an excellent book. I think you'll enjoy it. :)

it's a reread, so yeah :D

darktowerseeker
07-27-2008, 10:35 PM
I've started Duma Key. I was shocked in the beginning by the character's last name. I wasn't expecting a DT connection that early on.

Jean
07-27-2008, 10:59 PM
wait till you are shocked by his email address

KaLikeAWheel
07-28-2008, 12:44 AM
I just finished IT and I'm a fucking wreck.

"IT" had that effect on me too... :panic:but then again, I absolutely HATE spiders and am completely creeped out by clowns, and both conditions existed before I read "IT"!

Jean
07-28-2008, 04:41 AM
I am about one third into Duma Key, and I don't like it -

... I fucking love it! Hell, I adore it, every word of it!

William50
07-28-2008, 05:21 AM
You scared me for a second there. :)

Jean
07-28-2008, 05:32 AM
that was intended http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif

William50
07-28-2008, 05:45 AM
I never get tired of those bear smileys. :rolleyes:

Erin
07-28-2008, 05:45 AM
Yay Jean! I thought Duma Key was amazing!

Girlystevedave
07-28-2008, 06:09 AM

You got me excited for a second there.

fernandito
07-28-2008, 08:47 AM
That makes two of us.

William50
07-28-2008, 10:17 AM
I have not yet heard a a bad comment about Duma Key.

Girlystevedave
07-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Do you want to hear one? :evil:

Ruthful
07-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Why You Should Read Kafka Before You Waste Your Life, by James Hawes

William50
07-28-2008, 12:59 PM

Yeah, let's see what ya got! :lol:

Heather19
07-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Right now I am reading Insomnia. The first time I read it I didn't really like it, so maybe if I read it again I will enjoy it more.

Let me know how that goes for you. I've been wondering if I should revisit that one someday since it gets so much love around here, but I don't know if I want to subject myself to that possible torture again.

You had me so scared for a min there Jean. I had only scrolled down enough to see the first line you wrote and I was devastated.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I loved that book.

Girlystevedave
07-28-2008, 01:54 PM

Yeah, let's see what ya got! :lol:

I couldn't really say anything bad. I don't wanna ruin it for someone who may enjoy it.

William50
07-28-2008, 01:55 PM
I don't suggest reading it. I am not enjoying it again. I guess reading about an old dude is not my thing. :) Although it is cool to hear about the Crimson king.

Darkthoughts
07-28-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm reading Interworld by Neil Gaiman and Michael Reaves, and it is AWESOME!

The concept is really great. It imagines that the universe is an arc, kinda like a rainbow. Towards one end all the worlds are based and run on magic, and on the other, science.
There are two agencies, HEX (magic) and Binary (science) who are corrupt and are each trying to gain universal domination - Interworld is like a gunslinger outfit, trying to keep a balance between the two.

Buy it and read it :thumbsup:

The Lady of Shadows
07-28-2008, 02:26 PM
The Talisman.

My only comment so far: Jack is dumb, even amazingly capable of dealing with the unknown, the unexpected, and the terrifying especially for a twelve year old.

there you go alex. i fixed that post for you. :P

ETA: just started up high in the trees by kiara brinkman.

William50
07-28-2008, 04:13 PM
I hope somebody writes a book (or two) to go along with the LostBoys movies.
But I finished insomnia and I still didn't really like it, so I'm going to read the Green Mile again. :)

Ruthful
07-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Joe Hill's collection of short stories has been on my local library's shelves for months, yet I've resisted the temptation to pick it up. I've never felt compelled to even crack a book by Stephen King's wife, notwithstanding the shared surname. Today I finally succombed to the avalanche of praise heaped upon his work by you folks, whose taste in literary matters is usually sound, and borrowed it for the next three weeks.

John Blaze
07-28-2008, 08:00 PM

:thumbsup:

awesome. so many shit happens to reinforce my opinion that you are my russian twinner, it's scary.

Jean
07-28-2008, 08:30 PM
awesome. so many shit happens to reinforce my opinion that you are my russian twinner, it's scary.
I thought it was an established fact? http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif

Girlystevedave
07-28-2008, 08:38 PM
But I finished insomnia and I still didn't really like it, so I'm going to read the Green Mile again. :)

Now I don't really want to read it!
I will anyway, since I bought it.

Currently, I'm still reading The Talisman.
It made me very angry today.
Intolerance and stupidity tend to do that to me.

I must ask: Why did it make you angry?

The Lady of Shadows
07-28-2008, 08:42 PM

Now I don't really want to read it!
I will anyway, since I bought it.

Currently, I'm still reading The Talisman.
It made me very angry today.
Intolerance and stupidity tend to do that to me.

I must ask: Why did it make you angry?

seriously. why all the jack hating? :lol:

can you say what it is that is so clearly getting to you? whose intolerance specifically? whose stupidity?

Brice
07-29-2008, 04:28 AM
Joe Hill's collection of short stories has been on my local library's shelves for months, yet I've resisted the temptation to pick it up. I've never felt compelled to even crack a book by Stephen King's wife, notwithstanding the shared surname. Today I finally succombed to the avalanche of praise heaped upon his work by you folks, whose taste in literary matters is usually sound, and borrowed it for the next three weeks.

I personally haven't been able to get into Tabby's writing(I've onlt tried with her early stuff though). Joe hill is unquestionably phenomenal though.

I'm reading Interworld by Neil Gaiman and Michael Reaves, and it is AWESOME!

The concept is really great. It imagines that the universe is an arc, kinda like a rainbow. Towards one end all the worlds are based and run on magic, and on the other, science.
There are two agencies, HEX (magic) and Binary (science) who are corrupt and are each trying to gain universal domination - Interworld is like a gunslinger outfit, trying to keep a balance between the two.

Buy it and read it :thumbsup:

Sounds great! :thumbsup: I'll have to pick it up when I can.

alinda
07-29-2008, 04:44 AM
Firestarter, I'd not read it before.

Ruthful
07-29-2008, 04:48 AM
I personally haven't been able to get into Tabby's writing(I've onlt tried with her early stuff though). Joe hill is unquestionably phenomenal though.

I'm not really into the whole mystery genre. Plus, the photos she did for his novels' book jackets never really inspired much confidence in me in terms of her artistic talent.

theBeamisHome
07-29-2008, 10:51 AM
i'm currently working on Neverwhere

Unfound One
07-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Since I finished IT, I'm not currently reading anything! :panic:

Should I start The Shining, Bag of Bones, Tommyknockers, or The Green Mile? I've got them all here, but I just don't know.
Anyone?

Daghain
07-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Green Mile. EXCELLENT book. :)

theBeamisHome
07-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Bag of Bones!!

jayson
07-29-2008, 11:04 AM
I'd vote for The Shining myself.

theBeamisHome
07-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Basically any one of them except the Tommyknockers... unless you want to save the best for last...

I love the Green Mile.... makes me cry, movie and book... i really cried reading it.

Ruthful
07-29-2008, 11:08 AM
When You Are Engulfed In Flames, by David Sedaris

Unfound One
07-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Alrighty, The Green Mile it is.

Daghain
07-29-2008, 11:27 AM
:clap:

Good choice!

William50
07-29-2008, 01:29 PM

Oh yeah. Of of my favorites!! :dance:

jhanic
07-29-2008, 01:52 PM
My vote would be for Green Mile, with Bag of Bones a close second. Neither has any real relationship to the DT series. Sometimes you just need a break! Both are GREAT stories!

John

Heather19
07-29-2008, 02:29 PM

Please let us know what you think of it when your done. I've never read anything by Tabby, her books just don't seem to interest me, but Joe Hill is great. And you can tell just by reading it that he's related to King, it has the same kinda feel to it.

Brainslinger
07-29-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm currently reading Viking: Odinn's Child by Tim Severin.

Sort of historical Viking story (well it wouldn't be about florists with that title would it) with a bit of supernatural mixed in. I took a bit of a chance on in it, not knowing the author, and because I've read other viking novels before and I thought it might just be more of the same. (Although I've liked the ones I've read, mostly.) I'm enjoying this though.

John Blaze
07-29-2008, 03:49 PM

I knew you were as smart as you are beautiful!

good choice.

The Lady of Shadows
07-29-2008, 04:05 PM
alex - so you mean the stupidity about what they did to wolf and how they treated him? that i can totally related to and understand completely. if you are where i think you are then you are where i had to put the book down and cry and cry and cry.

oh, and your question about why jack didn't just take the bus? you can't really decide when to get off a cross-country bus like you can when you're hitching. plus, it's not like he had the money for a ticket. and i wonder what a bus would have turned into in the territories?

obscurejude
07-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Started reading Running Man. Is Road Work any good? I don't really have a desire to read it, but I will if its highly recommended, at least give it a shot.

Ruthful
07-29-2008, 04:38 PM
I enjoyed it. It has the same fast-paced type of narrative of the other stories.

jayson
07-29-2008, 05:09 PM
I enjoyed Road Work as well.

razz
07-29-2008, 05:51 PM
i found firestarter! it was in a shoebax halfway under my bed covered i golf clubs and origami fish. i shall resume reading it after i listen to "LT's Theory on Pets"

Shamey
07-29-2008, 06:13 PM
do you have a habit of stuffing piles of golf clubs and origami fish under your bed?

alinda
07-29-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm likeing it alot, and have met the rainbird :evil:

Lord_Vertigo
07-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Aside from what I'm reading for classes (yes, even in the summertime) ...

My wife and I just started Dark Tower III. I read it to her out loud at night.

Norman Cantor's "Civilization of the Middle Ages"

I'd dearly love to pick up either Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter at some point. Preferably when the weather turns wet and gloomy again, and the coffeepot is constantly full.

William50
07-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Ah, Lord of the Rings. My favorite non-DT book series. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

fernandito
07-29-2008, 08:33 PM
I'd dearly love to pick up either Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter at some point.

Definitely hit up Harry Potter as soon as you get the chance! :thumbsup:

William50
07-29-2008, 08:38 PM
William!!!
Thought I had missed you!
Good to see you again!

Nice to see you to! :)

:nana::nana::nana::nana::nana::nana:

John Blaze
07-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Aside from what I'm reading for classes (yes, even in the summertime) ...

My wife and I just started Dark Tower III. I read it to her out loud at night.

Norman Cantor's "Civilization of the Middle Ages"

I'd dearly love to pick up either Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter at some point. Preferably when the weather turns wet and gloomy again, and the coffeepot is constantly full.

I'd reccommend HP over LOTR anyday.

glad you and your wife are sharing the experience.

jayson
07-30-2008, 05:32 AM

Everyone has their own opinions of course, but that one makes me laugh. No offense.

Jean
07-30-2008, 05:44 AM

Everyone has their own opinions of course, but that one makes me laugh. No offense.
there's nothing like good laugh, Jayson! I hope the [old] news that I am totally with John will bring you some more positive emotions! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif

jayson
07-30-2008, 05:50 AM

there's nothing like good laugh, Jayson! I hope the [old] news that I am totally with John will bring you some more positive emotions! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif

Sure, I could always use another laugh :)
Of course it wasn't much of a surprise. I know you don't care much for LotR.

fernandito
07-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Just finished my reread of Watchmen. I"m going to try and read IT again, and if/when I finish, I'm going to start Prisoner of Azkaban.

Daghain
07-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Started reading Running Man. Is Road Work any good? I don't really have a desire to read it, but I will if its highly recommended, at least give it a shot.

I think you would like Road Work. Definitely give it a try.

Just finished The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving and am starting a reread of Dreamcatcher. I'm also reading Selected Poems of W. H. Auden.

Heather19
07-30-2008, 01:47 PM
I"m going to try and read IT again

I hope you enjoy it this time!

Tiffany
07-30-2008, 05:56 PM
I just got finished with I Am Legend and loved the story but was a bit disappointed with the book. Doesn't sound like that makes much sense but when I picked up this 317 page book, I thought I was in for a great long story.
Turns out, only 160 pages of it was actually I Am Legend. The rest are short stories and while the ones I read were good, the book says I Am Legend on the front...not I Am Legend and other stories.

Anyway, now I'm on The Bridge of San Luis Rey.

John Blaze
07-30-2008, 09:22 PM
I just got finished with I Am Legend and loved the story but was a bit disappointed with the book. Doesn't sound like that makes much sense but when I picked up this 317 page book, I thought I was in for a great long story.
Turns out, only 160 pages of it was actually I Am Legend. The rest are short stories and while the ones I read were good, the book says I Am Legendon the front...not I Am Legend and other stories.

I felt that way when I bought it too.

Unfound One
07-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Feev Feev Feev!
PLEASE start IT again...
It's so worth it.

Oh, I forgot, along with starting Green Mile last night, I've been listening to The Gunslinger in my car. The original version, and it's my first time to read/hear the original. It's quite different so far...

Jean
07-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Feev Feev Feev!
PLEASE start IT again...
It's so worth it.
hear, hear!

what
07-31-2008, 02:51 AM
still working my way through Twilight and now starting Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed by Patricia Cornwell, my mom recommended it... hope its as good as she says

jayson
07-31-2008, 05:50 AM
I've been listening to The Gunslinger in my car. The original version, and it's my first time to read/hear the original. It's quite different so far...

Well then let me welcome you to the REAL Dark Tower series SJ. :evil:

razz
07-31-2008, 06:13 AM
do you have a habit of stuffing piles of golf clubs and origami fish under your bed?
if you only knew...

Daghain
07-31-2008, 07:55 AM
I've been listening to The Gunslinger in my car. The original version, and it's my first time to read/hear the original. It's quite different so far...

Well then let me welcome you to the REAL Dark Tower series SJ. :evil:

:clap:

You said it, brother!

theBeamisHome
07-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Turns out, only 160 pages of it was actually I Am Legend. The rest are short stories and while the ones I read were good, the book says I Am Legendon the front...not I Am Legend and other stories.

me too, but did you read the other stories???? they're great too. I :wub: I Am Legend and Richard Matheson

The Lady of Shadows
07-31-2008, 03:47 PM
just got house of leaves: the remastered full-color edition in the mail.

ummmm? i'm confused. i just paged through it and parts of it are upside down and in boxes? there's boxes of foreign languages? there are parts crossed out in what looks like red pen? some of the pages only have five or six lines all the way at the bottom?

what in the hell did i get myself into here?

:scared:

Hannah
07-31-2008, 03:47 PM
just finished The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, and Between Sisters by Kristin Hannah (after a good nonfic i like to read fluffy fiction). I'm moving on to Rant By Chuck P., as I still haven't read that one yet, although I've been meaning to.

Erin
07-31-2008, 04:32 PM
It's so good! Actually it replaced Choke as my favorite Chucky P. book.

I think next i'm going to read "Snuff". Have you checked it out yet, Hannah?

Hannah
07-31-2008, 04:59 PM
I haven't yet. I haven't even bought it. I totally missed his book signing in Denver too. :cry:

Heather19
07-31-2008, 05:10 PM
It's so good! Actually it replaced Choke as my favorite Chucky P. book.

I think next i'm going to read "Snuff". Have you checked it out yet, Hannah?

If you read it, let me know how it is. I started it awhile ago, but then put it down and haven't gone back to it. Maybe I'll pick it back up when I finish Salem's Lot.

Erin
07-31-2008, 05:40 PM
I will. Unfortunately I haven't heard anything but negative stuff about it. :(

Brice
08-01-2008, 05:03 AM

ummmm? i'm confused. i just paged through it and parts of it are upside down and in boxes? there's boxes of foreign languages? there are parts crossed out in what looks like red pen? some of the pages only have five or six lines all the way at the bottom?

A phenomenal book, but it's like reading Finnegan's Wake...in Yiddish...converted into pig latin...on twenty hits of good blotter.

CRinVA
08-01-2008, 05:29 AM
I picked up a funny book at a slient auction during an MS Benefit dinner.

3X Carlin, An Orgy of George - he may be gone (RIP) but damn that many is funny!

I am also listening to Book 2 in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, The Hunt

John Blaze
08-01-2008, 08:22 AM

me too, but did you read the other stories???? they're great too. I :wub: I Am Legend and Richard Matheson

I love it too.

his son's work sucks though, and I don't care how many times SK endorses him, he's not that good.

alinda
08-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Ok, so it took 2 days to read , but I finnished Firestarter.
It was an enjoyable read, and ;) I did enjoy Rainbird altho
I would have liked more of him .....

Erin
08-01-2008, 09:37 AM

A phenomenal book, but it's like reading Finnegan's Wake...in Yiddish...converted into pig latin...on twenty hits of good blotter.

I bought this book a few years ago and have yet to read it. I have to admit it intimidates me a bit. :unsure:

Míchéal
08-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm still reading IT,only about half way through but really enjoying it. FANTASTIC.

theBeamisHome
08-01-2008, 11:02 AM
IT has been gettin a lot of play lately.

Míchéal
08-01-2008, 11:04 AM
IT(ha ha)'s my first time. :) i've a heap of King books to get through.

theBeamisHome
08-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Apparently i need to read Insomnia.... and the talisman and the black house...

John Blaze
08-01-2008, 11:21 AM
apparently so. :)

get to it, whippersnapper :D

Brice
08-01-2008, 02:29 PM

I bought this book a few years ago and have yet to read it. I have to admit it intimidates me a bit. :unsure:

Yeah, I can see how it could be a little intimidating, but if you can ever motivate yourself to read it, it is an excellent book.

alinda
08-01-2008, 02:36 PM

OMG!! Do NOT buy these books, they are sitting in my library , ready to send to you!! I am soooo sorry!

I do have your address right? Yeah, I do. sorry Beam!

theBeamisHome
08-02-2008, 05:14 AM

OMG!! Do NOT buy these books, they are sitting in my library , ready to send to you!! I am soooo sorry!

ok i won't buy them :D are you sure you have my address?

Jean
08-02-2008, 08:22 AM
"It", of course, silly http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_tongue.gif

alinda
08-02-2008, 08:41 AM

ok i won't buy them :D are you sure you have my address?

Ok please send me a PM with name & address so it makes it safely :D
Now you need The Talisman, and Black House? I can send both if you need them P/B of course!

bluelph24
08-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Crime and Punishment - Dostoevsky

darktowerseeker
08-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Finished The Running man this morning.
Can't decide what to start next!

how did you like the Running Man?

Matt
08-02-2008, 11:59 AM
SO MUCH better than the crappy movie. :lol:

I listening to "The Door to December" by Koontz in the car and reading The Sandman graphic novels at home things to my best bud Aaron. :couple:

William50
08-02-2008, 12:03 PM
SO MUCH better than the crappy movie. :lol:

I listening to "The Door to December" by Koontz in the car and reading The Sandman graphic novels at home things to my best bud Aaron. :couple:

Did you just say listening to? Do you have somebody riding in the car next to you reading it to you? :lol:

Daghain
08-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Books on tape. :)

Darkthoughts
08-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Currently reading Jane Eyre, which I'm ashamed to admit I'm reading for the first time :blush: And I'm really enjoying it.

It's the sort of book I'd have skimmed over when I was younger, because the narrative is so descriptive, but I'm taking time with it and appreciating it.

William50
08-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Technology scares me! :excited:

John_and_Yoko
08-02-2008, 01:22 PM
About to start Desperation and The Regulators.

William50
08-02-2008, 01:28 PM
About to start Desperation and The Regulators.

Desperation is great! Loved it.

Darkthoughts
08-02-2008, 01:29 PM
I loved The Regulators, but didn't enjoy Desperation as much. Not because of the quality of writing - but the initial content freaked me out...I guess its a Mum thing ;)

Ka-mai
08-02-2008, 02:14 PM
I just read Fahrenheit 451 for the first time, Matt's been wanting me to read it for ages.

I liked the overall ideas, but I thought it got a teensy bit preachy/wordy. Also, pretty much every sentence is a simile or metaphor, and that got irritating.

Other than that, very good.

Heather19
08-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Currently reading Jane Eyre, which I'm ashamed to admit I'm reading for the first time :blush: And I'm really enjoying it.

It's the sort of book I'd have skimmed over when I was younger, because the narrative is so descriptive, but I'm taking time with it and appreciating it.

Let me know how you enjoy it. I've been wanting to pick it up for quite some time.

Jean
08-02-2008, 10:12 PM

the first time! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif one of the books that I've been reading since I remember myself. I re-read it a few years ago, because, you see, I couldn't even tell whether it was good or bad - I knew it too well, it was like part of me, - and I found out that it was kickass! Also, it was the first time I read it in English - it was amazing, the same book you know by heart, and at the same time not the same book... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Darkthoughts
08-03-2008, 05:46 AM
I just read Fahrenheit 451 for the first time, Matt's been wanting me to read it for ages.

I liked the overall ideas, but I thought it got a teensy bit preachy/wordy. Also, pretty much every sentence is a simile or metaphor, and that got irritating.
That's typical Bradbury, he always over does the prose! My favourite stories of his are Something Wicked This Way Comes and the short story A Miracle Of Rare Device - you should check 'em out :thumbsup:

Let me know how you enjoy it. I've been wanting to pick it up for quite some time.
You really should, it's got an excellent plot and is both charming and dark by turns.

the first time! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif one of the books that I've been reading since I remember myself. I re-read it a few years ago, because, you see, I couldn't even tell whether it was good or bad - I knew it too well, it was like part of me, - and I found out that it was kickass! Also, it was the first time I read it in English - it was amazing, the same book you know by heart, and at the same time not the same book... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

:blush: I know!! :D It's terrible that I hadn't read it sooner. My middle sister is a fiend for the classics and I think I was of the notion, when I was younger, that if she liked them they must all be sentimental claptrap - because she's very romantic :lol: But I apologise to both my sister and the authors of the multitude of classics I'm too ashamed to tell you I haven't read :D

LadyHitchhiker
08-03-2008, 08:19 AM
I LOVE Jane Eyre... one of my favorite stories...

LadyHitchhiker
08-03-2008, 08:20 AM
but i would never have read the book if it werent' for the movie with Orson Welles...

Daghain
08-03-2008, 10:15 AM
:thumbsup:

Jane Eyre. Excellent choice!

Unfound One
08-03-2008, 07:00 PM
I just finished Watchmen!
:excited: :panic: :excited: :panic: :excited:

fernandito
08-04-2008, 09:15 AM

Annnnnnnnnnnnd? What'd you think? :D

Brice
08-04-2008, 11:53 AM
The Dark Tower VII and Nicomachean Ethics.

John Blaze
08-04-2008, 06:43 PM
dt 4 and Aztec, by Gary Jennings, and The Thorn Birds, and Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.

Jean
08-04-2008, 06:55 PM
The Thorn Birds! that's the feat I could accomplish once... don't think I'll ever repeat it

John Blaze
08-04-2008, 07:03 PM
why? i like it just fine.

this is a reread.........

Jean
08-04-2008, 07:04 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wacko.gif

Jon
08-04-2008, 08:53 PM
The City of Embers

Nerak
08-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, for the third time through.

alinda
08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I only just began a reread of Insomnia.

Unfound One
08-05-2008, 07:36 PM

Annnnnnnnnnnnd? What'd you think? :D

Let's just say... Rorschach is my new desktop wallpaper. :cyclops:

Are you kidding me? I fuckin' loved it! It was a little odd getting into the swing of things since I've never read a comic before :gasp: but after the first chapter I found myself really enjoying it.
I'll definitely be looking into some other graphic novels now. :D

And also, finishing it makes me so so so so excited for the movie! Dayum. It's gonna be intense.

citiesburnred
08-05-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm just started reading Starship Troopers

alinda
08-06-2008, 04:22 AM
I think I have read it 3 times already
but I really like this story alot. :D