PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Daghain
05-15-2008, 08:30 AM
No. I think locking you in a room with no limes until you read the entire Stephen King collection will be sufficient punishment. I'll go get Zone to guard the door.

iscream22
05-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Dark Tower 7 and The Essential Noam Chomsky

fernandito
05-15-2008, 09:22 AM
No. I think locking you in a room with no limes until you read the entire Stephen King collection will be sufficient punishment. I'll go get Zone to guard the door.

No! Anything BUT THE LIMES!

The only two from that list that I'm really itching to read are IT and The Stand...the rest I'm sure I'll read eventually.

Erin
05-15-2008, 09:31 AM
aww man. After reading this thread, i'm dying to do my bajillionth re-read of The Stand.

jayson
05-15-2008, 09:34 AM
aww man. After reading this thread, i'm dying to do my bajillionth re-read of The Stand.

I just finished my most recent re-read last week. I swear that book gets better each time I read it.

Erin
05-15-2008, 09:39 AM
It does! It's such an amazing book. I think i'll pick it up again after I finish A Game of Thrones. Although, it's shaping up to be such a good book, I may have to go straight into the 2nd book of the series. :orely:

So many good books to read, so little time. :lol:

jayson
05-15-2008, 09:43 AM
So many good books to read, so little time. :lol:

that's why i don't really complain when i have my annual bouts with insomia bc it gives me more time to read :)

fernandito
05-15-2008, 09:48 AM
I think i'll pick it up again after I finish A Game of Thrones. Although, it's shaping up to be such a good book, I may have to go straight into the 2nd book of the series. :orely:

You're reading the series too?! *props*

How far along are you?

Erin
05-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Hehe, there's a benefit. :D

So Jayson, what books do you have lined up to read to baby Ella? I hope you have Goodnight Moon, that was one of my favorites as a little kid. I have really fond memories of my dad reading it to me.

Erin
05-15-2008, 09:51 AM
I think i'll pick it up again after I finish A Game of Thrones. Although, it's shaping up to be such a good book, I may have to go straight into the 2nd book of the series. :orely:

You're reading the series too?! *props*

How far along are you?

Not far at all, I'm to the part where Jon has his conversation with the dwarf at the big celebration. But I love Martin's writing style and all the different characters and locations are starting to begin to tie together through backstory. I'm really enjoying it so far.

jayson
05-15-2008, 09:52 AM
So Jayson, what books do you have lined up to read to baby Ella? I hope you have Goodnight Moon, that was one of my favorites as a little kid. I have really fond memories of my dad reading it to me.

My parents actually bought us a ton of children's books to read to and with her, and yes, I was very happy to see that Goodnight Moon was among them as was Caps for Sale which is one of my fav books ever.

Erin
05-15-2008, 09:53 AM
I remember that one! Awesome. :) You're going to be such a cool dad. :rock:

jayson
05-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks Erin! :) If I'm half as good as my own dad was/is, she'll be a lucky kid.

Daghain
05-15-2008, 10:17 AM

The only two from that list that I'm really itching to read are IT and The Stand...the rest I'm sure I'll read eventually.

Nope, I think the limes will be a good motivator for you. :lol:

Darkthoughts
05-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Where The Wild Things Are was always my favourite.

Girlystevedave
05-15-2008, 10:22 AM
So...what's on the list?

The Stand
IT
Salem's Lot
Black House
Pet Semetary
Carrie
Firestarter
The Green Mile
Cujo
The Tommyknockers
Bag of Bones
Misery
Dolores Claiborne (only got 150 pages in, couldn't finish it)
Storm of The Century

I know there are more, but these are the only ones that I can remember of the top of my head.

Shall we let the lynching begin?

I haven't read most of those either. :unsure:

jayson
05-15-2008, 10:27 AM

it's in the library too. she will def grow up with a love of books.

Brice
05-15-2008, 10:32 AM
*locks feev and amanda in seperate rooms with proper SK libraries*
*removes all limes, enchiladas, video games, movies, and computers*

It is for your own good. :)

Daghain
05-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Way to be a parent, Brice! :lol:

Brice
05-15-2008, 10:35 AM
:D

Girlystevedave
05-15-2008, 10:42 AM

:lol: Brutal, Brice...brutal. HAHA...you forgot to take away music...sucker! :dance:

Okay, this is my logic though. And I'm being completely serious. Let's face it, SK is not getting any younger. Who knows how many more books he will write in his lifetime. The way I look at it, I've still got plenty of unread books stockpiled that I get to enjoy later on.

Daghain
05-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Good point. But you can always reread them in his honor, too. :lol:

Brice
05-15-2008, 10:45 AM

:lol: Brutal, Brice...brutal. HAHA...you forgot to take away music...sucker! :dance:

Okay, this is my logic though. And I'm being completely serious. Let's face it, SK is not getting any younger. Who knows how many more books he will write in his lifetime. The way I look at it, I've still got plenty of unread books stockpiled that I get to enjoy later on.

*removes the music too*

*LOCKS THE PERSON ABOVE YOU GAME!!!!!*

:P :P :P

Girlystevedave
05-15-2008, 10:46 AM
I've put off reading a lot of those books because I've seen the movies and remember them clearly. Given, the stories are always much better, but I have to completely forget a story in order to read the book. Otherwise, it will be ruined for me. That's why I'm just now reading The Stand.

Girlystevedave
05-15-2008, 10:47 AM
*removes the music too*

That's just mean... :cry:

Brice
05-15-2008, 10:49 AM
[quote=Brice;168888]

*removes the music too*

That's just mean... :cry:

AWWWW!!!! :couple: You know I wouldn't do that.

then I'd be punishing me

Girlystevedave
05-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Thank you :couple:

jayson
05-15-2008, 10:52 AM

If Ella ever refuses to read, I am hiring Brice as a babysitter. :)

Brice
05-15-2008, 10:53 AM

If Ella ever refuses to read, I am hiring Brice as a babysitter. :)

:thumbsup:

Thank you :couple:

:huglove:

Girlystevedave
05-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Yeah really :lol:

Daghain
05-15-2008, 11:10 AM
I'd save him for when she refuses to do her homework. That'll teach her. :lol:

fernandito
05-15-2008, 11:55 AM

I love that book. Have you seen the screencaps for the upcoming RL movie?

I haven't read most of those either. :unsure:

Want to be my lynching buddy? :huglove:

Not far at all, I'm to the part where Jon has his conversation with the dwarf at the big celebration. But I love Martin's writing style and all the different characters and locations are starting to begin to tie together through backstory. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Excellent! Stick with it, try not to be overwhelmed by Martin's cast that seems to include a thousand characters, and be sure to update us on the ASoIAF thread. :D

Jeez, take away my will to live! Why don't you take something else like my heart, my conscience, or my desire to occasionally be nice to people?

Daghain
05-15-2008, 12:11 PM
What fun would that be? :lol:

Ricky
05-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I just finished reading The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger for the first time. Now I just need to get to Barnes & Noble to pick up The Drawing of Three.

Honestly, I thought it was hard to get through, but I think I heard King say that it starts to pick up during The Drawing of Three.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Unfound One
05-15-2008, 03:46 PM
I think I heard King say that it starts to pick up during The Drawing of Three.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Yes, it will start to pick up. And GO TO BARNES & NOBLE IMMEDIATELY!

Ricky
05-15-2008, 03:57 PM
I sure hope it does because I really want to like this series. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go on Saturday so you might have to drive me, Unfound One. :)

Heather19
05-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I just finished reading The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger for the first time. Now I just need to get to Barnes & Noble to pick up The Drawing of Three.

Honestly, I thought it was hard to get through, but I think I heard King say that it starts to pick up during The Drawing of Three.

Thoughts? Opinions?

If you read it I'd be really curious as to what you thought of it.

I know everyone on the site will probably disagree with me, but I disliked that one more than The Gunslinger, and I had quite a hard time getting thru that one. I don't think it got interesting till The Wastelands.

I think I'm going to listen to Wolves of Calla soon and finish up my dark tower read.

Ricky
05-15-2008, 04:07 PM
I plan on reading the whole series. HOPEFULLY, I'll get the next one this weekend. Currently, I'm not sure of how I like it so far.

fernandito
05-15-2008, 04:14 PM
The Drawing of The Three is going to reel you in, believe me.

Unfound One
05-15-2008, 04:40 PM
I sure hope it does because I really want to like this series. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go on Saturday so you might have to drive me, Unfound One. :)

I absolutely would if you were anywhere near me. DT is totally worth the gas involved. :rolleyes:
And you can call me SJ if you like.

John Blaze
05-15-2008, 05:14 PM
The Drawing of The Three is going to reel you in, believe me.

Ditto that. When I started the Gunslinger, I had read every other SK book there was, so the Gunslinger was a huge change in style for me, which obviously it should have been, being one of his first books. However, when I got to The Drawing of the Three, it got much much better. That one is Classic King, my favorite!

John_and_Yoko
05-15-2008, 05:25 PM

Thoughts? Opinions?

Actually, I got hooked right from the first volume (once I got past the flashbacks-within-flashbacks, that is, especially in the first chapter). I don't know which edition you read, but I read the revised and expanded edition....

But I can definitely vouch for the second volume being better--easily. :D

John Blaze
05-15-2008, 05:29 PM
HERETIC!!!! how dare you start with the Revised Gunslinger?

::burns in holy fire::

Unfound One
05-15-2008, 05:41 PM
I started with the Revised Gunslinger... :unsure:

John_and_Yoko
05-15-2008, 05:45 PM
HERETIC!!!! how dare you start with the Revised Gunslinger?

::burns in holy fire::

*is still here*

If that maketh me a heretic, sir, then thou mayst call me Mr. Heretic! :P

John Blaze
05-15-2008, 06:08 PM
:lol: hey, whatever tickles your pickle, buddy.

I'm thinking about buying it just to have a complete collection, but I don't think i'll ever read it. IMO it's not cannon.

John_and_Yoko
05-15-2008, 06:10 PM
:lol: hey, whatever tickles your pickle, buddy.

I'm thinking about buying it just to have a complete collection, but I don't think i'll ever read it. IMO it's not cannon.

I cannot fathom your logic, sir. In my opinion, the original is not cannon--nor indeed is it canon.

(By the way, I've never heard that expression before, "tickles your pickle"--may I use it?)

MonteGss
05-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Ok...moving on (for there is an appropriate thread for the above discussion in The Baronies)...

For the first time in many, many years...I am reading two books at once. I've put down Hunchback of Notre Dame for the moment to read "easier" fiction in the form of Little Women.

For audiobooks, I am going to be starting IT tomorrow. :)

Girlystevedave
05-15-2008, 07:33 PM
I sure hope it does because I really want to like this series.

I felt the same after my first read of The Gunslinger. After reading so much SK, and loving it, I had such excitement/fear about reading The DT books. But as everyone already said: GO GET DRAWING OF THREE ASAP!! It doesn't have the same "feel" as Gunslinger, and you will love it.
And hopefully, after finishing the series, you will have a new appreciation for Gunslinger...(at least I did)

sarah
05-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Another series I love that is more late tweens early teens oriented like Harry Potter is, is The Dark is Rising Sequence. Wonderful, wonderful books, I grew up reading them along with the Narnia series, and I still love them.

Have you read: His Dark Materials?

No. Have you read The Dark Is Rising Sequence?

no, i haven't but I'll look into it.

off to the library tomorrow so I'll keep you posted.

John Blaze
05-15-2008, 08:08 PM
sure.

is canon spelled with one n? my bad, I hear it alot but don't see it in print.

besides, I'm right and you are wrong. :P

John_and_Yoko
05-15-2008, 08:45 PM
sure.

is canon spelled with one n? my bad, I hear it alot but don't see it in print.

besides, I'm right and you are wrong. :P

How about "You have your opinion, and I have mine?"

I like that option a lot better.

Daghain
05-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Drawing of the Three = awesome! That's the one that sucked me into the entire series - I think you really get to know Roland's personality in that one.

That will always be my favorite.

And yeah, revised - NO. :lol:

John_and_Yoko
05-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Drawing of the Three = awesome! That's the one that sucked me into the entire series - I think you really get to know Roland's personality in that one.

That will always be my favorite.

And yeah, revised - NO. :lol:

Well, twenty-three skiddoo. :P

But yeah, for the first three, they get better in the later volumes.

Ricky
05-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks for your opinions everyone. I really appreciate it, as it gives me hope for what lies ahead! With all the positive comments, it looks like I'll have to find some way to get to the bookstore tomorrow. :)

Thanks again guys!

fernandito
05-16-2008, 12:49 PM
You're welcome.

Now give me your wallet.

Odetta
05-16-2008, 01:43 PM

I can't believe you haven't read the Stand!

*spank*

Daghain
05-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Geez, I wouldn't want Odetta and Brice as parents! :lol:

fernandito
05-16-2008, 02:07 PM

I can't believe you haven't read the Stand!

*spank*

I haven't read IT either...do I get another spank?

:evil:

sarah
05-16-2008, 02:10 PM
http://www.cyclespot.com/forums/images/smilies/spanking.gif

Fever! You must read it. I think you should put down those stupid Narnia books and read IT today

oh and

oh and don't forget to add the Harry Potters and His Dark Materials to that list. :D

Ricky
05-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Add me to the list too. I haven't read IT either.

Girlystevedave
05-16-2008, 02:26 PM
People are running in here now. :rofl:

(Geez...I haven't read it either:unsure: )
But I must warn you...my first instinct is to kick like a mule.

Heather19
05-16-2008, 02:40 PM

Fever! You must read it. I think you should put down those stupid Narnia books and read IT today

I agree with Maerlyn, drop everything and go read It right away (that goes for you too Ricky and Girly)
You guys won't regret it.

For the first time in many, many years...I am reading two books at once. I've put down Hunchback of Notre Dame for the moment to read "easier" fiction in the form of Little Women.

Little Women has been on my to-read list for a long time. How is it?

fernandito
05-16-2008, 03:03 PM

oh and

oh and don't forget to add the Harry Potters and His Dark Materials to that list. :D

You know my policy about saying no to you :blush:

Looks like a trip to Borders is on my agenda for tomorrow!

(Geez...I haven't read it either:unsure: )
But I must warn you...my first instinct is to kick like a mule.

*spank*

*strafe to the left*

Girlystevedave
05-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Heather19: I do plan on reading IT...I just want to forget the movie first. So I can fully enjoy the story.:)

Feev: OW!...Damnit!
It's on now!:harrier:

Heather19
05-16-2008, 05:52 PM
I know exactly what you mean. It's best to get that out of your mind before you read the book.

Wuducynn
05-16-2008, 08:23 PM
I cannot fathom your logic, sir. In my opinion, the original is not cannon--nor indeed is it canon.

Smart man. :thumbsup:

special k
05-16-2008, 08:24 PM
right now Im in the middle of lullaby by chuck palahniuk

Wuducynn
05-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Ok...moving on (for there is an appropriate thread for the above discussion in The Baronies)...

Oh shut up you little nancy boy. Why don't you go dance around your house wearing a little pink tu tu and singing opera.

John_and_Yoko
05-16-2008, 09:52 PM

Oh shut up you little nancy boy. Why don't you go dance around your house wearing a little pink tu tu and singing opera.

Um.... I'm a little nancy boy myself, just so you know....

Lance
05-16-2008, 10:05 PM
This past week I've read one of the greatest novels I've ever read. It was The Thorn Birds and it covered the lives and loves of the Cleary family over almost sixty years. It's mostly set in the Austrailian Outback, so of course I had to tell Josh about it lol. It's very Sidney Sheldon (ish) in the way it chronicles a family through multiple generations.

Wuducynn
05-17-2008, 06:17 AM

Um.... I'm a little nancy boy myself, just so you know....

Thats cool. I'm just giving Monte shit.

jhanic
05-17-2008, 06:23 AM
Regarding the readings of the children's books--I tutor reading for first graders at one of the urban schools in Cleveland. I get to read LOTS of kids' books, under the guise of helping the kids! I've just discovered Strega Nona--that's a great read!

John

Patrick
05-17-2008, 08:05 AM
John, I've got kids in that age range, what the heck is Strega Nona?

Just finished THE GINGERBREAD GIRL by Stephen King.

jhanic
05-17-2008, 08:14 AM
It's a kid's book about a magic pasta pot. Everyone of the kids really liked it. It's written and illustrated by Tomie De Paola. It won the Caldecott Honor Award for the illustrations when it was published in 1979.

John

Míchéal
05-17-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm reading 'Once...' by James Herbert....freaky shit

jayson
05-17-2008, 08:27 AM
I had not heard of that book John. I will have to look for a copy. Thanks!

ladysai
05-17-2008, 08:38 AM
I finally finished "Small Gods", by Terry Pratchett (excellent humor!), and "Consider Phlebas", by Iain M Banks (unique sci-fi).
:)

Míchéal
05-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Ladysai what's Consider Phlebas about as I read a Banks book a few years ago and I've been looking for it ever since and that name is familiar, could be it?

ladysai
05-17-2008, 09:06 AM
It's basically about a shapechanger who is caught in the middle of an intergalatic war.

Míchéal
05-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Does it start off on a pirate spaceship? And is there a cool card game tournament too?

ladysai
05-17-2008, 09:45 AM
That's the one. :)

Míchéal
05-17-2008, 09:45 AM
woohoo, thanks for the info, i gotta read it again.

ladysai
05-17-2008, 09:51 AM
No problem.:)
If you liked "Consider Phlebas", you'd also like "Player of Games",by Banks. It's a good one, too.

Patrick
05-17-2008, 11:22 AM
It's a kid's book about a magic pasta pot. Everyone of the kids really liked it. It's written and illustrated by Tomie De Paola. It won the Caldecott Honor Award for the illustrations when it was published in 1979.

JohnAh, no wonder I didn't know it, it's after my time. :lol:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it for my kids.

jhanic
05-17-2008, 01:12 PM
You won't be sorry!

John

ManOfWesternesse
05-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Have started a DT re-read.

LadyHitchhiker
05-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Reading more Jim Butcher...

Ruthful
05-17-2008, 06:15 PM
The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer, by Philip Carlo.

This book needs to be adapted into a movie!

It's absolutely riveting.

Wuducynn
05-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Have started a DT re-read.

:thumbsup:

The Lady of Shadows
05-17-2008, 10:20 PM
i really like jim butcher.

Ricky
05-18-2008, 05:54 AM
Just picked up The Drawing of Three yesterday, so I plan on starting it today. :rock:

Wuducynn
05-18-2008, 06:03 AM
Ricky is this your first time reading the Dark Tower saga?

Ricky
05-18-2008, 06:16 AM
Yup, I've been wanting to read it for awhile now and I finally finished my "to-read" list so now I'm starting The Dark Tower series.

Wuducynn
05-18-2008, 06:41 AM
AWESOME! Welcome to the madness that never stops giving, Ricky! :harrier:

Jean
05-18-2008, 06:44 AM
Yup, I've been wanting to read it for awhile now and I finally finished my "to-read" list so now I'm starting The Dark Tower series.
I do so envy you! I wish I could read it for the first time again

Ricky
05-18-2008, 07:05 AM
Thanks guys. I'm pretty excited to start reading the second book--I hear it's a great one!! :)

Wuducynn
05-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Well in my not-so-humble opinion, they're all great.

Unfound One
05-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Well in my not-so-humble opinion, they're all great.

What he said. Except I'm humble. Sometimes.

Daghain
05-18-2008, 08:30 PM
This past week I've read one of the greatest novels I've ever read. It was The Thorn Birds and it covered the lives and loves of the Cleary family over almost sixty years. It's mostly set in the Austrailian Outback, so of course I had to tell Josh about it lol. It's very Sidney Sheldon (ish) in the way it chronicles a family through multiple generations.

Really? I was so-so on it.I read it when I was 15-16 (I think) and while it was good, if you like the historical fiction part of it, read The Witching Hour by Anne Rice - just stop after that one. :lol:

Girlystevedave
05-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Oh man, I remember that book. I think I also read it when I was about 15 or so. Didn't they make a made for tv movie about it too?

jayson
05-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Didn't they make a made for tv movie about it too?

Yes, it was a tv mini-series that aired in 1983

Girlystevedave
05-19-2008, 09:10 AM
I thought it was an okay book.

fernandito
05-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Currently reading:

IT
Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets
A Song of Ice and Fire : A Clash of Kings

John Blaze
05-19-2008, 10:32 AM
reading Roots.

here's a surprise, so far it's very good.

jayson
05-19-2008, 10:36 AM
i'm surprised you're surprised JB. Alex Haley is a great writer. the book was a lot more interesting to me than the tv movie. glad you are enjoying it. :)

Heather19
05-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Currently reading:

IT
Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets
A Song of Ice and Fire : A Clash of Kings

How are you enjoying It so far?

fernandito
05-19-2008, 01:54 PM
How are you enjoying It so far?

I'm only a couple dozen pages in, but I'm loving it so far.

And I think that Pennywise is going to give Tak! a run for his money to see who my favorite Stephen King villian is.

Heather19
05-19-2008, 01:56 PM
I think he will, he is hands down one of my favorite characters.

John Blaze
05-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Pennywise can anally rape Tak any day he feels like it. Tak sucks.

*The Poster is repeating something he has heard elsewhere and is not responsible for the contents of this message**

Bethany
05-19-2008, 02:26 PM
dreamcatcher and heart shaped box.

fernandito
05-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Pennywise can anally rape Tak any day he feels like it. Tak sucks.

*The Poster is repeating something he has heard elsewhere and is not responsible for the contents of this message**

Whoever said that should "CHOKE THEMSELVES! ON MY HAND!"

Well, they're both empathic vampires - and not many villians can sing ♪Leavin' on a jet plane♪while plotting to murder someone or mix "I am going to kill you" into the Miranda warning and make it sound cool. :cool:

The Lady of Shadows
05-19-2008, 04:33 PM
just finished reading we need to talk about kevin (lionel shriver) - fantastic book

just finished listening to the ruins (had already read it but wanted to hear how they'd handle the audio book)

recently finished infected (scott sigler), compulsion (jonathan kellerman), small favor (jim butcher). i have a tendency to read several books at once; while listening to at least one book (or podiobook) on my ipod.

just got the yiddish policeman's union (michael chabon) and you suck: a love story (christopher moore) in the mail

currently listening to one among the sleepless (mike bennett) on the old ipod and reading neighbors (jan gross) and because god loves stories (steve zeitlin)

you know, i really love books.

jayson
05-19-2008, 04:36 PM
just got the yiddish policeman's union (michael chabon)

i really enjoyed this. i also read it via audio, which is very well done by Peter Reigert. hope you enjoy it.

The Lady of Shadows
05-19-2008, 05:00 PM
thanks, i hope so too. i'll let you know. :)

mia/susannah
05-19-2008, 05:08 PM
I have read and reread all the Stephen King books that I have. I borrowed a book from my father-in-law. Velocity, by Koontz. It is pretty good so far.

Daghain
05-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Just finished Atonement by Ian McEwan and am starting a reread of Desperation.

Ruthful
05-20-2008, 09:44 PM
i'm surprised you're surprised JB. Alex Haley is a great writer. the book was a lot more interesting to me than the tv movie. glad you are enjoying it. :)

Notwithstanding the fact that he plagiarized huge swaths of that novel from "The African" I still think Roots-and even Queen-is a great book. Alex Haley, IMO, was one of the best journalists in his day. I don't know how familiar you are with his Playboy interviews, but you should try to find them if you haven't already read them. The one with George Lincoln Rockwell, and with Sammy Davis Jr., will blow your mind.

John_and_Yoko
05-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Wow.

Just...wow.

:scared:

Just finished the last volume of The Dark Tower. Oh...my...God.

I am SO blessed for this experience, say thankya! :D

John Blaze
05-22-2008, 02:49 PM

Notwithstanding the fact that he plagiarized huge swaths of that novel from "The African" I still think Roots-and even Queen-is a great book. Alex Haley, IMO, was one of the best journalists in his day. I don't know how familiar you are with his Playboy interviews, but you should try to find them if you haven't already read them. The one with George Lincoln Rockwell, and with Sammy Davis Jr., will blow your mind.

not sure what my wife would say if all of a sudden I start "collecting" Playboys.....

"but honey, I only get them for the articles!"

**slap**

John Blaze
05-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Wow.

Just...wow.

great! now you can visit all the threads without worry about spoilers

Wuducynn
05-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Wow.

Just...wow.

This is awesome... :harrier: I understand most of what you feel. The reason I say most is because I believe we all feel our own way about it.

Wuducynn
05-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Right now I'm most of my way through Prince Caspian. The magic hasn't gone away for me.

The Lady of Shadows
05-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Right now I'm most of my way through Prince Caspian. The magic hasn't gone away for me.

i am stunned at the hidden depths of you. just stunned. :couple:

Ruthful
05-22-2008, 04:42 PM
not sure what my wife would say if all of a sudden I start "collecting" Playboys.....

"but honey, I only get them for the articles!"

**slap**

LOL.

They actually published them in a hardbacked book.

I think it's out of print, but you can probably order it online from Powell's or Alibris.

Daghain
05-22-2008, 06:38 PM
J and Y:

Welcome to the club. :)

MonteGss
05-22-2008, 06:39 PM

Do you two know each other?

John_and_Yoko
05-22-2008, 07:03 PM
great! now you can visit all the threads without worry about spoilers

Yep! AND contribute to the discussion as well! :D

This is awesome... :harrier: I understand most of what you feel. The reason I say most is because I believe we all feel our own way about it.

I think so too--otherwise why are there threads with polls? ;)

J and Y:

Welcome to the club. :)

Say thankya! Proud to be a member! :D

Patrick
05-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Congrats, J&Y!

Currently reading Koontz's fourth and most recent Odd Thomas book, ODD HOURS.

John_and_Yoko
05-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Congrats, J&Y!

Thank you! :D

Gonna take a break from the King for awhile (no more than a week), but when I do go back to him I was thinking of starting with It.

Unfound One
05-23-2008, 12:06 AM
J&Y - have you read Insomnia yet?

John_and_Yoko
05-23-2008, 09:00 AM
J&Y - have you read Insomnia yet?

I have indeed--and it's my favorite non-Dark Tower book of Stephen King's! :D

Besides The Dark Tower, I have read The Shining, "Night Shift," The Eyes of the Dragon, The Stand, The Talisman, "The Little Sisters of Eluria," 'Salem's Lot, Insomnia, Hearts in Atlantis, Black House, and "Everything's Eventual."

Unfound One
05-23-2008, 04:24 PM
It's my favorite so far as well, but I have a very limited SK repertoire...
I'm currently about 100 pages from finishing The Talisman. :excited:

John_and_Yoko
05-23-2008, 04:26 PM

How are you finding it? I didn't particularly care for it all that much when I read it, though it did have its moments.

fernandito
05-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Reading IT...

That scene where the Uris wife unlocks the door to the bathroom to find her husband dead was intense.

Heather19
05-23-2008, 05:18 PM
How far into It are you Feev?

It's that's a good choice J & Y, you'll love it.

John_and_Yoko
05-23-2008, 05:22 PM

It's that's a good choice J & Y, you'll love it.

I'm sure I will. :)

I think I've already had a bit of a taste of It in The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower, and MAN, talk about lulling you into a false sense of security....

Not to mention that I've seen references to It in Insomnia, which I loved....

Like I said, going to take a bit of a break, but that'll be my next Stephen King book. :)

fernandito
05-23-2008, 05:28 PM

About 100 or so pages in. :)

Heather19
05-23-2008, 05:52 PM
You're getting close to when it flashes back to the kids. Those are my favorite parts of the story.

jayson
05-24-2008, 09:05 AM

Reading IT...

That scene where the Uris wife unlocks the door to the bathroom to find her husband dead was intense.

i'm kinda jealous of you guys getting to read these for the first time. both were such good books and make for fun re-reads.

obscurejude
05-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Yeah, what Jayson said. Reading those books for the first time was such a magical experience.

Unfound One
05-24-2008, 11:26 AM

How are you finding it? I didn't particularly care for it all that much when I read it, though it did have its moments.

Yeah, what Jayson said. Reading those books for the first time was such a magical experience.

I'm really enjoying it. All of the concepts are blowing my mind. I'm nearly done with it, but I keep getting interrupted!
I miss Wolf though, I wish he was still around. :(

The Lady of Shadows
05-24-2008, 12:30 PM

Do you two know each other?

not in person. but don't forget i've been lurking here since launch day as a guest so actually, i guess, i know all of you in some ways. why?

John_and_Yoko
05-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Just started reading IT. Yeah, I just get impatient sometimes....

Ruthful
05-24-2008, 07:44 PM
http://www.republicaupdate.com/images/2007/09/03/junot_wao_cover.jpg

Girlystevedave
05-24-2008, 08:34 PM

I'm really enjoying it. All of the concepts are blowing my mind. I'm nearly done with it, but I keep getting interrupted!
I miss Wolf though, I wish he was still around. :(

Loved that book. I think it was the first one I got truly emotionally involved in.

The Lady of Shadows
05-24-2008, 10:00 PM
right here and now!!!!!!!!

i love wolf.

well, i have now decided that i'm going to reread the dark tower from beginning to end again. since my ipod is out being repaired (and will be gone for two to three weeks **sob**), and i'm in one of those depression moods so none of my new books sound interesting, i'm going to cling to an old and treasured friend. so nobody tell me how it ends :)

Unfound One
05-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Will this be your first re-read turtlesong?

The Lady of Shadows
05-24-2008, 10:21 PM
nope.

i reread each preceeding novel when the next one came out. during the hiatus years i reread the series up to that point. when the final one was published, i reread the entire sequence.

since then i've reread the entire series four times (about once a year).

i'm kind of an addict. :rolleyes:

Unfound One
05-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Hey, we're here for ya. :)

Brice
05-26-2008, 02:38 AM
I'm reading The Catcher In The Rye and DTV.

razz
05-26-2008, 01:39 PM
i finally started Dreamcatcher again. i think the movie finally motivated me to finish it this time.

Heather19
05-26-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure how much you read before, but don't expect it to be anything like the film.

razz
05-26-2008, 01:55 PM
so far it's the same. the first time i read up to the crash. right now i'm about to where mr. gray is possessing Jonesy, and is going towards the crash to encounter Pete. i think i stopped on Friday just as he was about to reach him.

The Lady of Shadows
05-26-2008, 01:56 PM
i'm really going to have to reread dreamcatcher. right after i finished the dark tower.

btw razz, can you tell that i'm stalking you today? :huglove:

fernandito
05-26-2008, 02:31 PM
I've noticed that it's hard for me to keep going forward with novels while I have unfinished graphic novels/comics lying around...

I need to look at all those pretty pictures! :drool:

razz
05-26-2008, 02:35 PM
i'm really going to have to reread dreamcatcher. right after i finished the dark tower.

meh people stalk me all the time. i hardly notice these days

The Lady of Shadows
05-26-2008, 02:38 PM

meh people stalk me all the time. i hardly notice these days

:o
ouch. you really know how to hurt a girl!

razz
05-26-2008, 02:39 PM
sorry, but i have to assume you either hate me for some reason and are plotting my death even as you speak friendly like to me, or...

razz
05-26-2008, 02:42 PM
but if it's not that, then i am truly touched that you took the time out of your busy life to stalk me.
:wub:

The Lady of Shadows
05-26-2008, 02:42 PM
sorry, but i have to assume you either hate me for some reason and are plotting my death even as you speak friendly like to me, or...

or. . . . ????

I've noticed that it's hard for me to keep going forward with novels while I have unfinished graphic novels/comics lying around...

:rofl:

razz
05-26-2008, 02:46 PM

or. . . . ????

i'm not really sure. the people who don't try to kill me usually throw bricks with pictures of tuna fish tied to them through my bedroom window. i don't know about them.

Heather19
05-26-2008, 03:42 PM

Oh no Feev! Aren't you reading It? You should be totally engrossed in the book that you don't want to put it down. I hope you're still enjoying it.

steph
05-27-2008, 10:27 AM
I finished Fast Food Nation nite before last.

Each and every person should read it. A truly fascinating and informative book.
I was wishing it was not a library copy, so I could hi-lite and make notes.
I may have to buy a copy

fernandito
05-27-2008, 10:43 AM

Oh no Feev! Aren't you reading It? You should be totally engrossed in the book that you don't want to put it down. I hope you're still enjoying it.

But the pictures! They call out to me like the ring calls out to Frodo! :lol:

Don't worry, I haven't put IT off to the side or anything of the sort :couple:

blackrose22
05-27-2008, 12:35 PM
The Songs Of Distant Earth - Arthur C Clarke. Another enjoyable read from the sci fi master. Not his greatest book ever but still great to read.

Unfound One
05-27-2008, 09:11 PM
I finished The Talisman yesterday on the plane (absolutely loved it) and resumed my first time read of Black House. I'm finally past the bird's eye view part and I'm starting to get into it...

Frunobulax
05-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Re-reading "On the Advantage and Disadvantage of History...." by Nietzsche, reading "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clarke as well. The second is a great page turner, already more than 1/4 through this 700+ pager after 3 days of reading for barely and hour each time. After these, it's on to "Mason & Dixon" by Pynchon.

fernandito
05-28-2008, 10:15 AM
The Songs Of Distant Earth - Arthur C Clarke. Another enjoyable read from the sci fi master. Not his greatest book ever but still great to read.

Big Clarke fan, Rose?

Have you read A Space Odyssey and it's numerous sequels?

alinda
05-28-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm several pages into my new book, Whispers.
Followed by Weed Species, if I can figgure out
how to read it without breaking the binding! :unsure:

blackrose22
05-28-2008, 11:58 AM

Big Clarke fan, Rose?

Have you read A Space Odyssey and it's numerous sequels?

Yes I love his work. I've read quite a few of his books over the years and enjoyed them immensely. It's been a while since I read the last book in the Space Odyssey series (3001) and love each of them but thought 2061 was not as good as the other books in that series (2001 still the best of them).
Really loved his Rama books and must give them another go as its been years since I first read them. I've just started reading another one of his books The Light Of Other Days (co-writing with Stephen Baxter) which so far is better then The Songs OF Distant Earth. Also going to read after The Light... , The Trigger (co-writing Michael Kube McDowell) and Time's Eye again co-writing with Stephen Baxter. Got these of my brother who said he has some more Clarke books if I want to borrow them. So I've got plenty to get through in the next couple of weeks.

Ricky
05-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Oh God, I feel like an idiot. I'm reading the second DT book now, and for as long as I've been reading it, I just found out that it's called The Drawing of THE Three. :doh:

The Lady of Shadows
05-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Oh God, I feel like an idiot. I'm reading the second DT book now, and for as long as I've been reading it, I just found out that it's called The Drawing of THE Three. :doh:

:lol:

William50
05-28-2008, 04:31 PM
WOW. Don't feel bad, I do stuff like that all the time. I just finished reading that book for my 4th time. Not in a row of course. It still has not gotten old.

Woofer
05-28-2008, 04:50 PM
WOW. Don't feel bad, I do stuff like that all the time. I just finished reading that book for my 4th time. Not in a row of course. It still has not gotten old.

<minihijack>I love your avatar!</minihijack>

Catching up on all of last year's issues of The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction.

William50
05-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Yours is cool also!

The Lady of Shadows
05-28-2008, 06:47 PM
just finished the new john sandford - phantom prey (have i mentioned that lucas davenport rocks??)

got a new book of short stories called voyeurs of death by shaun jeffrey. i forget now who recommended it to me but when i looked it up at horror mall it looked pretty good so i thought what the hell. i absolutely hate it. i've only ever returned two books to b&n before (both on a subject that i refuse to read about) but this one is going back.

and i finished the gunslinger. damn, it just gets better and better doesn't it? on to the drawing of the three.

fernandito
05-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Yes I love his work. I've read quite a few of his books over the years and enjoyed them immensely. It's been a while since I read the last book in the Space Odyssey series (3001) and love each of them but thought 2061 was not as good as the other books in that series (2001 still the best of them).

I really want to start reading the Space Odyssey series - I'm a pretty big fan of the movie(s), but I have trouble reading books based on movies that I already saw because the surprise element is gone.

John_and_Yoko
05-28-2008, 07:21 PM
I really want to start reading the Space Odyssey series - I'm a pretty big fan of the movie(s), but I have trouble reading books based on movies that I already saw, because the surprise element is gone.

I know what you mean--I had difficulty plowing through Part Three of 2001: A Space Odyssey, because I'd already seen the movie.... :P

Merlin1958
05-28-2008, 07:45 PM

I really want to start reading the Space Odyssey series - I'm a pretty big fan of the movie(s), but I have trouble reading books based on movies that I already saw because the surprise element is gone.

If you liked 2001 you would probably enjoy the Foundation Series by: Issaac Asimov it's a great tale, no movie (Yet, unfortunately) and its 5 or 6 reasonably sized books long. Keep ya busy for a while. Oldy but a Goody:thumbsup:

Tiffany
05-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town. I don't remember the author but so far, so good.

Arthur Heath
05-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Although I have read and re-read this numerous times I'm in the middle of Bradburys Fahrenheit 451. One of my absolute favorite books.

John_and_Yoko
05-29-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm currently at the part of IT that I plan never to read again....

I cannot STAND this Tom creep.... :angry:

The Lady of Shadows
05-29-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm currently at the part of IT that I plan never to read again....

I cannot STAND this Tom creep.... :angry:

i'm with you there. :angry:

John_and_Yoko
05-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Well, it's over, anyway--I certainly got through THAT quickly....

And I'm proud of Beverly for FINALLY giving that creep what he deserved....

fernandito
05-29-2008, 08:03 PM
If you liked 2001 you would probably enjoy the Foundation Series by: Issaac Asimov it's a great tale, no movie (Yet, unfortunately) and its 5 or 6 reasonably sized books long. Keep ya busy for a while. Oldy but a Goody:thumbsup:

Sounds interesting, I'll wikipedia it. :thumbsup:

Unfound One
05-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Black House.
It's badass.

John Blaze
05-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Thin Red Line.

not as good as I thought it would be, and I'm a person who loves war books, specially ww2

stboling
05-30-2008, 05:59 AM
I was wondering if anyone here has ever read Ross MacDonald? I have about 6 of his books and am currently re-reading them. I hear a lot about John MacDonald, but no Ross. I just think he's great.

Jean
05-30-2008, 06:01 AM
I read him! I like him, rather; and I love his wife, Margaret Millar.

stboling
05-30-2008, 06:07 AM
Yay! I'm glad you like him. I knew that he was married to Margaret Millar, but have never read any of her books.

Jean
05-30-2008, 06:17 AM
I would advise them, really, she is into psychotic people and misguided sectants... what else could a reader wish for?

stboling
05-30-2008, 06:26 AM
That's my only criteria for good readin':clap: I will have to check the library.

educatedlady
05-30-2008, 07:24 AM
I just started to read Gunslinger again and I am also reading Touch me I'm Sick.

MrsSmeej
05-30-2008, 08:46 AM
I've been on a Stephen re-read binge for a while now. In the past two months I've revisited all of the Dark Tower books, Insomnia, Desperation, The Regulators, The Tommyknockers, The Dark Half, The Stand (uncut), On Writing, 'Salem's Lot, The Talisman, Duma Key, and just finished Black House. Hmmmm... Perhaps I've become a bit obsessive? Maybe I'd better head back to the library and check out something new. They must miss me over there by now.

Matt
05-30-2008, 11:30 AM

I think a good re read is in order about once a year.

Right now, I am listening to Dean Koontz--Frankenstein, Book Two. Its an okay series.

Everything's Eventual at home.

jhanic
05-30-2008, 11:38 AM
I just finished my reread of Insomnia, and plan to reread either Bag of Bones or Duma Key. Or I may reread Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, followed by Deathly Hallows. I'm curious as to the character in Order who was played by that actor that got stabbed to death in the UK last week. I don't remember him. Still trying to decide which I want.

blackrose22
05-30-2008, 12:43 PM

That can be true a lot of the time but not always. Some film adaptations can be very different to the book like King/Bachmans The Running Man. The film was so different from the story in the book. But do try and read the Space Odyssey books as they are marvelous stories in their own right. If not the Odyssey books then I highly recommend the Rama series books Clarke wrote (three of which were written with Gentry Lee) as they are some of Clarke's best stories ever. I think you would really enjoy them.

Just read one of his books I, Robot which I loved and mean to read more of his work when I get the chance.

Ricky
05-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Some film adaptations can be very different to the book like King/Bachmans The Running Man.

You're telling me! That piece of crap (film) wasn't worth the $5 I paid for it!

John_and_Yoko
05-30-2008, 02:53 PM
I've been on a Stephen re-read binge for a while now. In the past two months I've revisited all of the Dark Tower books, Insomnia, Desperation, The Regulators, The Tommyknockers, The Dark Half, The Stand (uncut), On Writing, 'Salem's Lot, The Talisman, Duma Key, and just finished Black House. Hmmmm... Perhaps I've become a bit obsessive? Maybe I'd better head back to the library and check out something new. They must miss me over there by now.

In TWO MONTHS???

I feel so inadequate now.... :(

MrsSmeej
05-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Hence the library... I'd be broke if it weren't for them. :)

alinda
05-30-2008, 03:07 PM
EJ, do you sleep? :yawn:

The Lady of Shadows
05-30-2008, 04:28 PM
have any of you guys ever read anything by tim o'brien? i read the things they carried and i can't get it out of my head. there were parts where i was crying so hard i couldn't breath. then parts where i was laughing out loud and suddenly realized i had my hand over my mouth because it was just so wrong to be laughing. . . .

i haven't read anything that haunting in years.

fernandito
05-30-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm about 170 pages into IT and I'm a little upset that so far Pennywise has been nothing more than a cameo. :arg:

/me wants to encounter the dancing clown already.

John_and_Yoko
05-30-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm about 170 pages into IT and I'm a little upset that so far Pennywise has been nothing more than a cameo. :arg:

Join the club (although I haven't gotten QUITE that far--just finished Chapter 3).

Also, I'm kind of surprised that Pennywise has been seen already at all, though at least he hasn't been explained away yet....

Heather19
05-31-2008, 06:36 AM

Just wait, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. You're at the point where it's back to the kids right? So things should be picking up now.

Now all this talk of It is really making me what to go back and read it again.

obscurejude
05-31-2008, 06:39 AM
I started reading Duma Key last night.

fernandito
05-31-2008, 06:54 AM
Just wait, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. You're at the point where it's back to the kids right? So things should be picking up now.

Yeah, school just got out for Hanscom & Co.

blackrose22
05-31-2008, 09:32 AM
Just finished The Light Of Other Days by Arthur Clarke and Stephen Baxter. Really enjoyed this one. Not sure what I'll read next.

razz
05-31-2008, 09:40 AM
oh, Duma Key is Brilliant! I read it four times...back when we had transport...

sorry, couldn't resist doctor who spinoff.

William50
05-31-2008, 09:43 AM
I just finished a collection of short stories by HP Lovecraft. I been doing alot of short storie reading lately and I am feeling the need for a novel. I will either begin Duma Key or maybe Desperation by SK.

razz
05-31-2008, 09:46 AM
the day duma key came out, i sat in wallmart for 4 hours reading it before they threw me out.

William50
05-31-2008, 09:51 AM

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 10:02 AM
I just read a bunch of dresden files books and now I am reading missing in action by Peter David

razz
05-31-2008, 10:03 AM
dresden files is a book series?

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 10:16 AM
They're by Jim Butcher...

William50
05-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Is that a good thing?

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Oh I just devoured the Jim Butcher books. There's 10 of them and I wrote 8 of them in less than 2 weeks.

LadyHitchhiker
05-31-2008, 10:20 AM
the day duma key came out, i sat in wallmart for 4 hours reading it before they threw me out.

I love the vision that evoked in my mind...

razz
05-31-2008, 10:22 AM

I love the vision that evoked in my mind...

when i mean "Threw me out", i mean they used a catapult and a straightjacket.

Ruthful
05-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Still reading Insomnia and-after a bit of a break-World War Z.

John_and_Yoko
05-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Just finished the First Interlude of IT--I start the 1958 segment next, and hope I find it as good as others have indicated.

Jean
05-31-2008, 11:32 PM
have just started The Children of Men by P.D.James, which I unexpectedly found at Alexander's

fernandito
06-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Taking a break from IT to start A Clash of Kings.

razz
06-01-2008, 02:00 PM
just finished Dreamcatcher. What should I read next?

jayson
06-01-2008, 02:25 PM
just finished Dreamcatcher. What should I read next?

Have you read The Talisman and Black House yet? If not, you should.

razz
06-01-2008, 02:27 PM
i couldn't read black house when i tried. I have no copy of Talisman, neither does the Library.

and that neither is pronounced Nyther, not neether.

jayson
06-01-2008, 02:30 PM
i'd suggest giving Black House another go. it may take a bit to unfold, but once it does, it's an exceptionally good book. i think once the story really gets going it feels a lot more like King and a lot less like Straub [which is one of the things i think makes the beginning seem slow]. you could always order The Talisman online. i love that book.

John_and_Yoko
06-01-2008, 04:07 PM
i'd suggest giving Black House another go. it may take a bit to unfold, but once it does, it's an exceptionally good book. i think once the story really gets going it feels a lot more like King and a lot less like Straub [which is one of the things i think makes the beginning seem slow]. you could always order The Talisman online. i love that book.

I agree. I didn't care for The Talisman when I read it, and so I was disappointed in Black House for about the first half, but the second half MORE than made up for it, and now Black House is second only to Insomnia on my list of favorite non-Dark Tower books by Stephen King.

Shamey
06-01-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm struggling to get into Star Wars X-Wing: Rogue Squadron. I think it might just be taking a while for the author to get to the point and my ADD isn't having it.

John_and_Yoko
06-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Just finished Chapter 4 of IT, and WOW, that was a speedy read....

I'm actually disappointed that I have to turn in soon, because I want to keep reading....

Anyway, should be able to pick up the pace from here on in, eh? :)

what
06-02-2008, 04:24 AM
Halfway through the long walk... and starting Swine Not? by Jimmy Buffett!

alinda
06-02-2008, 04:35 AM
My new book (thanks Turtlesong) Ghost Story
written by Peter Straub, intro by Stephen King. :D

jhanic
06-02-2008, 04:38 AM
What's World War Z? I've never heard of it.

John

Brice
06-02-2008, 04:38 AM
That's an excellent story, Linda.

fernandito
06-02-2008, 04:56 AM
Got about 50-60 pgs into Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets yesterday. :dance:

mia/susannah
06-02-2008, 05:45 AM
I just finished my rereread of Christine last night. I am now starting my rereread of Salem's Lot. I hope I get the books that were given to me from the big give soon. I am so looking forward to these books. Thanks everyone

blackrose22
06-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Icehenge - Kim Stanley Robinson. Not as good as his epic Mars trilogy but still a riveting read anyway.

fernandito
06-02-2008, 09:11 AM
I usually read no more than 2 books (tops!) at a time, but those covers are just so damn shiny and tempting! :lol: So right now I'm spreading my time over IT, the 2nd Harry Potter book, and A Clash of Kings.

razz
06-02-2008, 11:38 AM
i decided to Read "Down the Road" again, now I'm working on City of the Dead. Down the road is short. I read it during the school day. but it's definitely worth a read.

Shamey
06-02-2008, 12:40 PM

John

World War Z is excellent. It's an oral history of life after the war against the zombies. Mostly from a military point of view.

fernandito
06-02-2008, 12:45 PM

John

World War Z is excellent. It's an oral history of life after the war against the zombies. Mostly from a military point of view.

I think there's been a couple other members here that have mentioned this book, and from what I remember they said it was pretty good. Is this a stand alone novel, or is it part of a series?

Heather19
06-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Just finished Chapter 4 of IT, and WOW, that was a speedy read....

I'm actually disappointed that I have to turn in soon, because I want to keep reading....

Anyway, should be able to pick up the pace from here on in, eh? :)

It definately does pick up pace. That's when I really got into the story, and from then on I didn't want to put it down. I think that's one of the fastest books I've read because I was just so into it.

Halfway through the long walk... and starting Swine Not? by Jimmy Buffett!

I love The Long Walk. It's second only to IT.

Girlystevedave
06-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Is The Long Walk that good? I've still yet to read it.

Heather19
06-02-2008, 02:48 PM
It is, I would definately recommend checking it out.

Girlystevedave
06-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Perhaps when I come out of my reading funk, I will. I already own it, just not sure why I haven't read it yet. Hell, I just read Rage for the first time this year.

Heather19
06-02-2008, 02:53 PM
I still have yet to read that one? How was it?

Shamey
06-02-2008, 02:55 PM

John

I think there's been a couple other members here that have mentioned this book, and from what I remember they said it was pretty good. Is this a stand alone novel, or is it part of a series?

I don't believe it's part of a series.

Girlystevedave
06-02-2008, 02:57 PM
I still have yet to read that one? How was it?

I enjoyed it. I wouldn't put it on my 'favorites' list, but I advise checking it out.
I'd read it again if that means anything.

jayson
06-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Is The Long Walk that good? I've still yet to read it.

prob my fav of the Bachman stories.