PDA

View Full Version : King endorses Let Me In

mae
10-08-2010, 11:11 AM
http://www.awardsdaily.com/2010/10/stephen-king-let-me-in-the-best-american-horror-film-in-the-last-20-years/

“Let Me In is a genre-busting triumph. Not just a horror film, but the best American horror film in the last 20 years. Whether you’re a teenager or a film-lover in your 50s, you’ll be knocked out. Rush to it now. You can thank me later.”

I'll disagree with Uncle Steve here. The best American horror film and the scariest was certainly Session 9.

fernandito
10-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Before I SK's endorsement : I don't want to see this, it can't trump the original.

After I read SK's endorsement : Best movie of all time.

Ari_Racing
10-08-2010, 12:15 PM
I don't know if King is aware of what he said (I don't share it), but saying that the best american horror film in the last 20 years is a remake actually, doesn't talk good about the genre...

pathoftheturtle
10-08-2010, 12:42 PM
American film in general doesn't get much good talk, anyway.

My impression so far is that King was trying to make a point, & maybe exaggerating for effect.

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-08-2010, 01:00 PM
I greatly enjoyed LET ME IN. I've never seen the original, in fact I never heard of it.
I've also never heard of SESSION 9. Should I rent it???

Never mind, I just added it to my NETFLIX list.

Jean
10-08-2010, 01:04 PM
I greatly enjoyed LET ME IN. I've never seen the original, in fact I never heard of it. I believe this may be the cause of Sai King's enthusiasm, too.

biomieg
10-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Ur2nd, did you read the book? It's pretty good!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_fcdqdPh-_A8/S9gSt049z9I/AAAAAAAAASQ/2j7zL1DVGNI/rightone.jpg

(this is the UK 1st edition by the way, published by Quercus - the first edition outside Sweden).

Woofer
10-08-2010, 01:15 PM
See Let the Right One In. There is no need for an over-blown American remake.

I also STRONGLY disagree about Session 9. The fact that it has David Caruso in it immediately knocks it out of the top 10. DC is a horrible actor, and he ruined that film. Gah!

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Darn, I don't read Swedish!
Is the movie LET THE RIGHT ONE IN dubbed in English?
But I like David Caruso, sorry Woofer.
I will reserve judgement on SESSION 9 until I see it.
Many may disagree with me, but I thought the American version of THE GRUDGE was scary (haven't seen the original). And I'm very rarely scared at the movies. In fact THE EXORCIST and THE GRUDGE are the only two movies I can think of that actually gave me the creeps, or the willies or whatever you want to call it.
I yawned all the way through PARANORMAL ACTIVITY.
I will also say once again that I REALLY liked LET ME IN!

fernandito
10-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Is the movie LET THE RIGHT ONE IN dubbed in English?

Yes.

DoctorDodge
10-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I greatly enjoyed LET ME IN. I've never seen the original, in fact I never heard of it. I believe this may be the cause of Sai King's enthusiasm, too.

That might be a possible reason Jean. I'd need to read the whole source of where that quote came from to see if he mentioned it once.

But King isn't unaware that the US remakes a lot of good stuff. I remember the greatest thing I ever read was, "I wish an American network would run the British Life on Mars, one of the greatest limited-run (16 episodes) television series I've ever seen — it shuts the American version down completely. As boss cop Gene Hunt (Philip Glenister in the British version) might say, ''Trust the Gene Genie on this.''" (Source, http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20253149,00.html) He was right, the British tv series was wonderful stuff and one of the best tv shows ever, from start to finish, with a pitch-perfect ending. The remake? I liked what I saw of it, but then it fucked it up in the last episode and pissed all over the ending of the original. Ugh.

So perhaps Let Me In is a good film to watch, but a lot of us may judge it too harshly compared to the original. Or at least, be seriously LTROI gets ignored completely by the success of the remake!

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-08-2010, 02:40 PM
You have all convinced me to put LET THE RIGHT ONE IN to my Netflix list. When is the sequel, LET THE LEFT ONE IN, coming out?

Brainslinger
10-08-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm not that fussed to see this. I would like to see the original 'Let the Right one in' at some point though. If it's good, I don't see a need for an American remake. Sure a lot of Americans (or British, to be fair) might not be sure of foreign movies but... well... I guess I see that as all the more reason why they should. It's good to try new things. (Within reason. I'd keep off the smack.)

Woofer
10-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Hey, I shouldn't even be posting now, so my apologies to everyone for saying bad things about DC and Session 9.

CyberGhostface
10-08-2010, 04:51 PM
All I feel right now is second-hand embarrassment for King. Like whenever he praises one of Mick Garris's adaptations of his work.

Neither do I, but that didn't stop me from watching the film. Also, the English dub is so horrible for this movie that if you don't want to watch it with subtitles, you're better off not just seeing it at all.

I don't know if King is aware of what he said (I don't share it), but saying that the best american horror film in the last 20 years is a remake actually, doesn't talk good about the genre...

And a remake of a film from another country, to boot. What does it say if the "best" American horror film owes more to Sweden than it does to America?

maerlyns_rainbow
10-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I greatly enjoyed LET ME IN. I've never seen the original, in fact I never heard of it.
I've also never heard of SESSION 9. Should I rent it???

Never mind, I just added it to my NETFLIX list.

Both movies are on my instant queue but I haven't watched either. None of my friends ever have to watch a movie they "have to read" lol but I am dying to see Let The Right One In. I heard it was way better than the remake, but I'll probably watch it too, for shits and giggles.

Spencer
10-08-2010, 06:36 PM
. What does it say if the "best" American horror film owes more to Sweden than it does to America?

Just wait till the crappy Hollywood version of Men Who Hate Women comes out next December. :lol:

Melike
10-09-2010, 12:26 AM

You can read it in English. Original movie Let The Right One In is one of the best movies of last years. The book is even better.
I still have this question on my mind about the remake ''Let Me In'': Why?

Brice
10-09-2010, 03:41 AM
Because Americans are too dumb to understand movies that aren't made by Americans. :)

I'd feel better if I knew King had seen both and was still raving about this. Then I might even want to see it.

herbertwest
10-09-2010, 03:48 AM
I am almost sure that he also endorsed the original : "let the right one in" (on the dvd cover)... cause it was the reason i watched the movie...

Melike
10-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Because Americans are too dumb to understand movies that aren't made by Americans. :)

I'd feel better if I knew King had seen both and was still raving about this. Then I might even want to see it.

Nothing can change my idea about this remake. But I am going to watch it as soon as it is available here. I believe it is unnecessary to avoid it and deny its presence.

lophophoras
10-10-2010, 04:40 AM
Saw this last night. It was really slow, not the 'horror' movie I expected it to be. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but it would be best to watch it at home on DVD. At least there you can pause it in order to do something else when it gets boring....

Something I did notice though, there was one part in the movie where the two kids were hanging out in what looked to be a a old bomb shelter. The word TAK was written in graffiti in different places. Reminded me of King's Desperation.

:orely:

jhanic
10-10-2010, 08:03 AM
My daughter is taking me to see this Tuesday.

John

Chap
10-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Has anyone of you actually seen the remake yet?
If not, why complain already? I know remakes have a long history of being worse than the original, and this one probably won't be better than its original either, but there's no need to judge it in advance. Specially since pretty much every review of it has been extremely positive.
Lets face it, an American remake can only mean that the story can reach a much larger audience since most people seem to hate anything with subtitles. And, contrary to popular belief, reaching a large audience is a good thing.
I applaud good remakes of good movies :clap:

pathoftheturtle
10-10-2010, 09:42 AM
You know the old saying: "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime." I believe that reaching a large audience is good only if you don't compromise too much of what they needed to be reached with in order to do it. The culture is just treading water if you only tell people what they want to hear. Of course, I guess getting any part of a story's message out could be seen as some small progress, but it's two steps back for one forward if you're simultaneously reinforcing the spoiled sense of entitlement couch potatoes feel regarding fiction that's even a bit hard to understand.

Melike
10-11-2010, 03:26 AM
Has anyone of you actually seen the remake yet?
If not, why complain already? I know remakes have a long history of being worse than the original, and this one probably won't be better than its original either, but there's no need to judge it in advance. Specially since pretty much every review of it has been extremely positive.
Lets face it, an American remake can only mean that the story can reach a much larger audience since most people seem to hate anything with subtitles. And, contrary to popular belief, reaching a large audience is a good thing.
I applaud good remakes of good movies :clap:

Chap, I too know it is so stupid to complain about it. But still, there was a fear to see one of my favorite movies ruined. After so many good things I have heard about this, I have no more anxiety about it.
I wish it wasn't needed to be American to be able to reach larger audiences, and the world could give chance to original and creative works accepting them the way they are.

Jean
10-11-2010, 03:29 AM
I wish it wasn't needed to be American to be able to reach larger audiences, and the world could give chance to original and creative works accepting them the way they are.
Hear, hear.

DoctorDodge
10-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Hear, hear.

Double the hear, hear, Jean. Too many truly wonderful and original films these days get easily ignored if they aren't American. Even if they're English speaking British classics, it's all too easy to miss 'em in the US market.

mae
10-11-2010, 01:25 PM
I would think a good third, at least, of my 1000+ DVD/Blu-ray collection is non-American films. There are lots of people who enjoy contemporary and classic cinema or art-house films, but of course many more watch nothing else but The Transformers and 2 Fast 2 Furious.

DoctorDodge
10-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Well of course there's plenty of people from the US like you pablo that have enjoyed many non-American films, in fact i'd say a lot of US members from this board have watched at least more than one non-US film, but I'd say that overall it's a minority, especially considering how foreign films are hardly marketed much over there. Hell, even over here, too many people tend to watch American remakes rather than originals.

mae
10-11-2010, 01:49 PM
They're not marketed at all here. In fact I hardly remember seeing any ads for foreign films in wide release, except blockbusters like Amelie or The Brotherhood of the Wolf. But thanks to DVD in the late 1990s to mid-to-late 2000s and now Blu-ray, these films are freely available.

jhanic
10-12-2010, 04:18 PM
I just got back from dinner and the movie with my daughter and grandson. We agree--Let Me In is one of the best vampire movies in a long, long time! Lots of suspense, not an over-amount of gore, great special effects, and a great story. Well worth the time!

John

Woofer
10-12-2010, 04:44 PM
There was almost no gore at all in Let the Right One In. I expect that any real amount of gore is going to be considered excessive when compared to the first. :)

Mattrick
10-13-2010, 06:59 PM
I'll disagree with Uncle Steve here. The best American horror film and the scariest was certainly Session 9.

In The Mouth Of Madness foo!

Woofer
10-13-2010, 07:56 PM

In The Mouth Of Madness foo!

Yes. Good fun Lovecraftian horror.