PDA

View Full Version : This Is England '86

DoctorDodge
09-07-2010, 02:21 PM
So who else has been enjoying this so far? Only the first week, but I've really been impressed with the first episode. It's different from the film in quite a few ways, but in a good way: it's clear that writer/director Shane Meadows has adapted well to the different format of television, with the story clearly meant to be played out over the upcoming weeks. I think the thing that surprised me the most was just how funny it was, there were a lot of moments when me and the folks laughed our arses off (I think where Harvey and Gadget got their flowers from is a moment that springs to mind). Still, I won't be surprised in the slightest if this story will get darker before the end, judging by how the film began light hearted enough and ended leaving a lot to think about.

So come on, for all the Brits on this board: who else has watched it? Who's British on here and has yet to watch it? Because I will say this: with a quality show like this, right now's a good time to have on demand!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-07-2010, 11:26 PM
I watched it last night. Meadows has done a good job and the characters are great. I dislike American TV shows so its good to have some new drama to watch.

aliensatemybrain
09-08-2010, 11:29 AM
I only got the chance to see the first fifteen minutes or so of it last night as I had to be up early for work but I recorded it to watch it later this week. Looked good from what little I did see. Not seen the film though, to be honest I always had the impression it was about the national front or something like it and that put me off a bit but i'm told thats not the case so I guess I should give it a watch.

DoctorDodge
09-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Well, regarding the film being about the national front...yes and no. It's more about skinhead culture, more importantly seeing all sides of skinhead culture, including the young people who became skinheads not because they were racist but because they wanted to be part of something, and the other skinheads who believed in white supremacy. The national front do play a part in it, but a tiny one, and the message of the film is very anti-racist. It's one of the best British films I've seen, anyway, so it's certainly worth watching.

DoctorDodge
09-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Watched the 2nd episode earlier tonight, and it just gets better. The comedy's still there from last week, but it's also thrown in even more darker issues, too. It's so different to the film, and I don't think the tv series will appeal to all fans of the film, to be honest, but I will say it's quickly becoming one of my favourite tv series. Shame it's only 4 eps long, though. Both times an episode's ended, I keep thinking that it's ended too soon, even though they've both been an hour long each. It's not that the episodes are rushed, it's just that I can't get enough. That never happens.

I think what I'm looking forward to most though is the return of Combo. He's what made the film. It'll be interesting to see him come back!

DoctorDodge
09-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Last night's ep was where the show hit some really dark territory, in fact so dark it got incredibly difficult to watch in it's final moments. I was hoping to come on here and be ecstatic about the appearance of one particular character, but after seeing the final moments I was disgusted so much I just couldn't discuss it. And that was a good thing, considering the content and how it pushed the show forward. It's very, very rare for a drama to hit you that hard, especially one that begins as being so light hearted. It's been a short series, but it's been worth it. The final episode next week will definitely be one I'll remember to watch.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-22-2010, 11:30 PM
It's very, very rare for a drama to hit you that hard,

That's the difference between quality, award wining drama, and the rest of the dross.

The ending of third episode WAS very dark, but the "baddie" always gets his cumuppance.

The "handbags" fighting was funny.

Looking forward to the final episode.

DoctorDodge
09-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Last episode has just finished over here. So UK fans of the film, what did you think of it?

After the 1st episode, I was thinking that it's very different to the film, but even though the series dealt with rather different issues, when watched as a whole, it really isn't that different: begins somewhat funny and light hearted at first before getting to the dark heart of the story that becomes so repulsive it's incredibly difficult to watch at times.

I think what surprised me the most was Combo's return, not that he came back but how it was handled. At the end of the episode, he's earned a great deal more respect that he did in the film.

I hope another series gets made, if its as well made as this and also has something new to say.

turtlex
09-29-2010, 02:57 AM
Hey DD - Do you know the total running time? I'm wondering if they're going to show this on BBC America, or if I'll have to buy the DVDs when/if they become available.

DoctorDodge
09-29-2010, 03:18 AM
Well, over here it was 4 x 65 minute episodes, with adverts. Not sure what the total running time is without them, though. I should imagine that it would get shown on BBCAmerica if they showed the film, but I wouldn't be surprised if BBCAmerica cut a lot of stuff out - notsomuch out of trying not to offend anyone as for a need to include more adverts. I've heard what they've done to a lot of BBC shows and other British shows like that, i think they take off about 20 minutes of Being Human an episode, from what I've heard. If you want the full uncut version of TIE '86, your best bet is dvd, to be honest.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-29-2010, 05:45 AM
Why should it be on BBC America? It's a Channel 4 programme. (The BBC does not have adverts in the UK.)

Each episode is 45 to 49 minutes long and are all online...

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/this-is-england-86/4od

DoctorDodge
09-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah, but in the US, BBCAmerica is basically the channel for all British shows, not just BBC: Skins, the Inbetweeners, Footballers' Wives, all the ones that get noticed over here (for better or for worse) are on BBCAmerica. Strange, I know, but 99% of anything british that's shown in the US is on that channel. And BBC over here don't do adverts, but BBCAmerica does. Trust me, i've heard a shitload of complaints from US viewers of the amount of stuff they cut over there just to squeeze in more adverts. And i doubt that anything on a UK on-demand website could be watched in the US, just like nothing can be watched on hulu.com over here, but I could be wrong.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-30-2010, 07:32 AM
BBCAmerica sounds dreadful.

DoctorDodge
12-04-2011, 02:40 PM
For those of you who don't know: '88 is coming!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZIQNyYfl9w

And great news is, it's in 3 parts! Bad news? It's all in one week, apparently. I would rather they let us enjoy and process each ep on a weekly basis. Then again, considering I was just expecting a one off xmas special, I can't complain too much. Either way, I can't wait!