PDA

View Full Version : Child Fund (or those less fortunate)

Merlin1958
09-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Not sure if this is appropriate for here, but I thought I would share anyway and TPTB can do as they see fit.

I have been supporting a child (and his family) in Uganda for the last 4 years through "Child Fund" (formerly "Christian Charities") and I have to say it has been a most rewarding (for both families) relationship and I would HIGHLY recommend it to others.

A year or two ago, I went through a "Health Crisis" that involved a lot of stuff. I was diagnosed with Diabetes and lost part of my foot as a result and underwent Chemo. I came out the other side fine, but during my convalescence I watched a crap-load of TV. One late evening I saw the TV spot and succumbed. I have to tell you all that it has been one of the best decisions that I have ever made.

I support a child named, Ivan Okatange, in Uganda for $30 a month. His whole family of 8 gets to eat off of that money and I have sent Soccer balls, Seeds, gardening tools and "Yankee" garb over there, as well as a host of other things. I now am a "Rancher" as for $200 they have bought 3 cows named "Yogi", "Scooter" and "Bossy" for former Yankee greats. Through correspondence I have gotten them to "follow" the Yankees, even though they have no idea what I'm talking about despite a lot of material I sent over.

The point being, while it definitely helped me get through my health crisis, it has continued to be a very, very, very rewarding relationship and one that I would heavily endorse and recommend to others. I chose to make the Yankees a highlight of that relationship, but others can do as they like. What I do know is that I very much look forward to hearing from them and the state of their affairs and the knowledge that I am, however much in the least, affecting the world as a place to live in.

Go check it out and if you were on the fence, fall off to the side of helping. You will not regret it, that I can guaranty.

www.childfund.org

"A man never stands so tall, as when he stoops to help a child"
Abraham Lincoln

Peace!!!

Side note: As a contributor to the Haven Fund Raiser every year, A whole-heartedly wonderful charity, I know that there are a lot of very charitable folks on these boards. To be able to help someone in a place like Uganda, I don't know why, but for some reason it is VERY satisfying and I highly recommend it to others. I suppose you get a sense of "how the other half" lives or something, but bottom line is you're doing something to make the world a better place with YOU in it.

I secede the lectern to others!!! LOL

Merlin1958
09-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Consider it!!! For the price of what we spend on Cheeseburgers in a month, you could feed a struggling FAMILY!!!

Sorry, back to our regular programming!!! LOL

Mattrick
09-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Call my cynical but I think all these organizations are just crooked. The last commercial I saw for these guys, an old, rich, white guy was walking around Africa, talking about how this kid is all alone and takes care of his sick grandmother. Well shit, instead of talking about it with all these poor hungry kids, DO SOMETHING in the video.

The 90 cents from every dollar is how they get you. That 90 cents includes food, cost for aid, missionaries etc. That 10 percent they pocket. I don't believe in these things. And as evil as it may sound, I think there are more than enough people in my own country that need help before I start thinking about Africa and other under developed areas. I myself, do not have much money. I'm currently unemployed and not qualified to much work worth any money or merit. My unemployment is out so I'm basically living off the charity of my mom, which isn't much more than what people send these guys. Living off about 60 dollars a month for groceries at the moment. Often only eat a meal a day. My best friend is working 3 jobs currently just to feed his kids and pay child support.

At least you went the extra mile and actually sent them some extra stuff. I imagine a lot of people simply give them the 30 dollars a months and never think twice about it. I respect that.

Merlin1958
09-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Call my cynical but I think all these organizations are just crooked. The last commercial I saw for these guys, an old, rich, white guy was walking around Africa, talking about how this kid is all alone and takes care of his sick grandmother. Well shit, instead of talking about it with all these poor hungry kids, DO SOMETHING in the video.

The 90 cents from every dollar is how they get you. That 90 cents includes food, cost for aid, missionaries etc. That 10 percent they pocket. I don't believe in these things. And as evil as it may sound, I think there are more than enough people in my own country that need help before I start thinking about Africa and other under developed areas. I myself, do not have much money. I'm currently unemployed and not qualified to much work worth any money or merit. My unemployment is out so I'm basically living off the charity of my mom, which isn't much more than what people send these guys. Living off about 60 dollars a month for groceries at the moment. Often only eat a meal a day. My best friend is working 3 jobs currently just to feed his kids and pay child support.

At least you went the extra mile and actually sent them some extra stuff. I imagine a lot of people simply give them the 30 dollars a months and never think twice about it. I respect that.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Please accept my best wishes for a satisfying resolution.

I agree with you that there are a lot of folks here at home that could use help as well however, Obama seems to have a lot of that covered!! Not trying to make a case for Africa, but the level of poverty over there is simply horrific. I never realized.

Anyway, I do what I can at home as well. I work at St. Mary's food pantry for the homeless and poor three days a week, as well as volunteering at my local library 2 days a week. I also coach little league baseball (15-18 yr olds) spring and fall. Guess what the team name is? LOL

I get correspondence from the family roughly every three months and lots of times the letters smell like Rhino shit!!! I researched these Christian Charities folks quite a bit before I signed on, and they appear fairly legit. This is backed up from the correspondence from the family. Anyway, does my heart good to see the kid in a Yankee jersey and hat in the middle of the jungle!!! LOL

Girlystevedave
09-09-2010, 07:45 PM
I think that's awesome. I've actually thought about signing up to do something like this before, but wasn't sure if it was legit (like most charitible organizations). But hearing from your experience, I think I'll look into it.
It's great to hear that something that seems so "small" has impacted your life for the positive.It's almost like you've connected the puzzle piece of your life to another piece thousands of miles/worlds away.
Aferall, if we could all just help one person in the world, it would make a great difference, I think. We all get caught up in our own lives and it does good to remember that there are so many less fortunate than us. And we have the resources to help by doing so little.
Maybe I'll take this as my sign/push to do something.

Thanks for posting this. :)

Mattrick
09-09-2010, 08:07 PM
My charity comes from helping my friend. Guy has four kids, now all in school and he's only just turned 29. Between child support, rent, 3 jobs and other things, guy is so stressed. So I watch his kids for him a few nights a week for practically nothing, even though I am broke.

When it comes to money, I am wary. I would rather be charitous with goods and services rather than money. Look at America, apparently all the money they've given Pakistan for aid they've fuelled it right into the Al Qaeda and Taliban and I definitely don't trust any private organizations.

John Blaze
09-10-2010, 09:07 AM
I do the Operation Smile. $20 a month and an extra $240 a year come tax time. IDk, I just think I'd rather help "fix" something for someone, and if I give enough that they can do an extra two kids a year then that's great.
http://www.operationsmile.org/index.html

Merlin1958
09-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Hey, that's great!! I'm certainly not trying to force anyone, it's just an option that's all. If it came off the wrong way, I apologize. I'm a Mason and as such, you do what you can within your "cable-toe".

I just thought I 'd share what was rewarding to me, and naturally the folks in Uganda, as it pertains to me, and see if anyone else was interested. It was and is a meaningful relationship, but of course to me alone. Operation Smile is an absolutely Wonderful Charity!!!! God Bless!!

I'm sorry if the thread came off in the wrong light.

Jean
09-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Merlin, I endlessly admire what you're doing.

Merlin1958
09-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Merlin, I endlessly admire what you're doing.

Thank you, Jean!!!! If anyone out there can afford to do it, you will not regret it. Overseas or here at home, try to make the world a better place than when you got in it, if you can!!!

I'm Ivan's "Mbunga" whatever the heck that means, and you could be too!!!! LOL

Jean
09-16-2010, 10:39 PM
I wish I could - my monthly income amounts to less than $300... I will, though, if one day I manage to make it at least $500...