PDA

View Full Version : TGDT - Round 2 - Clint Eastwood vs Joel & Ethan Coen

fernandito
09-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Clint Eastwood's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000142/)
Notable films : Mystic River, Unforgiven, Million Dollar Baby, Gran Torino, Letters from Iwo Jima
http://www.wowowow.com/files/imagecache/508x349/2008_1125_Life_Clint_Eastwood.jpg

The Coen Brother's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001054/)
Notable films : Fargo, No Country For Old Men, O' Brother Where Art Thou? , The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona
http://www.jonathancrocker.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/coens.jpg

Jean
09-06-2010, 08:36 AM
The Coens.

Sam
09-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Eastwood.

fernandito
09-06-2010, 08:47 AM
The Coens for me too.

Walkingman79
09-06-2010, 09:00 AM
I love every movie I have seen from the Coen brothers!Eastwood is really good but I went with the Coen brothers.

Still Servant
09-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Yikes, I'll get back to you on this one.

Seymour_Glass
09-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Coens. Easy.

"There's more to life than a little money, dontcha know. Dontcha know that? And here you are. And it's a beautiful day."

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-06-2010, 03:35 PM
I think Eastwood may be the better director in a lot of ways....but I like the Coens movies more.

So I voted for them.

Odetta
09-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Coens

IWasSentWest
09-06-2010, 05:49 PM
i liked bridges of madison county as welll

but i go with the coens.

Mattrick
09-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Eastwood. One of my favourite directors.

He doesn't need a sibling :P

turtlex
09-07-2010, 03:25 AM
I think Eastwood may be the better director in a lot of ways....but I like the Coens movies more.

So I voted for them.

This explains it for me perfectly!

Brice
09-07-2010, 03:28 AM
I'm saving my vote for the last minute on this one.

turtlex
09-07-2010, 03:31 AM
Brice - If it were closer, I'd start offering bribes! :lol:

Jean
09-07-2010, 03:34 AM
::hint hint::

O Brother, Where Art Thou

what can be better?

Brice
09-07-2010, 04:06 AM
Doubtlessly it was great, but Eastwwod is a really good director also. I'm just not sure yet where my vote's going.

turtlex
09-07-2010, 04:17 AM
I think part of it for me was, though Eastwood is very good - he's yet to direct an uplifting or "positive" film yet and I wonder if he can. ( though, I guess, in some ways, Gran Torino could be considered uplifting ... but I'd be stretching to call it that ).

Brice
09-07-2010, 04:24 AM
Every director has their strengths ...except maybe Shyamalan :innocent: and weaknesses. It may be that Eastwood can't or won't do an "uplifting" movie. He is quite good at what he does do though. It may be that he just knows he can't do "uplifting" and chooses to not try because of that...which would also make him a good director for knowing his strengths. Or he may not be interested in do an uplifting movie. Then it may be that he can, but hasn't come across the right idea for it yet.

Jean
09-07-2010, 04:53 AM
does a movie have to be uplifting or positive?...

::tiptoes away, deeply depressed::

turtlex
09-07-2010, 05:15 AM
does a movie have to be uplifting or positive?...

::tiptoes away, deeply depressed::

Oh, gosh, absolutely not. I just meant, I'd never seen one of his that was.

And don't get me wrong, I think Eastwood has done some simply wonderful stuff ( Million Dollar Baby and Mystic River being my two favorites, probably .. and I think he has a real talent for directing women ) ... just that, well, I like the Coen's movies better.

Brice
09-07-2010, 05:16 AM
...and you might never. That doesn't mean he's not a great director.

turtlex
09-07-2010, 05:17 AM
I agree. I was just making an observation.

fernandito
09-07-2010, 05:26 AM
What is everyone's favorite film by either director ? (We'll count the Coens as one entity :lol:)

Eastwood - Unforgiven
Coens - No Country For Old Men

Brice
09-07-2010, 05:32 AM
Gran Torino

Raising Arizona

turtlex
09-07-2010, 05:32 AM
Eastwood : Million Dollar Baby / Mystic River ( a tie )

Coens : Fargo

Mattrick
09-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Eastwood: Mystic River or Letters From Iwo Jima
Coens: No Country For Old Men...I really want to see Fargo. <3 Frances McDormand.

Seymour_Glass
09-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Eastwood - Mystic River

Coens - Fargo.

Still Servant
09-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Okay, I've procrastinated long enough.

I had to go with the Coen brothers. My love for The Big Lebowski is just too large to ignore.

Jean
09-07-2010, 09:00 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

pathoftheturtle
09-08-2010, 11:43 AM
I think part of it for me was, though Eastwood is very good - he's yet to direct an uplifting or "positive" film yet and I wonder if he can. ( though, I guess, in some ways, Gran Torino could be considered uplifting ... but I'd be stretching to call it that ).

How about Breezy (1973) ? That's kind of uplifting, though the positive is set against a very dark background. A film needs to have that to be inspiring, for me.
Like, I prefer Eastwood's patriotism over Spielberg's, if that makes sense.

Gordie: I'm not sure it should be a good time.
Chris: You saying you wanna go back?
Gordie: No. We're going to see a dead kid... maybe it shouldn't be a party.
-- Stand By Me
Out of curiosity, what do you consider to be the most uplifting film from the Coens?

I love just about everything from both of these contenders, (which makes this poll a super-tough one for me) but for the record The Hudsucker Proxy remains my favorite film, period. Look at that film, though. It's partly an homage to Brazil, though the gloominess of that film is not visible. It's a virtual model of the satisfying Hollywood film. At the endingthere's a clear example of "the god in the machine." The happy ending comes out of a complete bending of reality.

At the other extreme, consider Unforgiven, which I still have to call my favorite Eastwood picture. That, too, is a movie about movies. It serves to dispell the "white hat" moral order of the early western and all of our comfortable notions on the meaning of justice.

Sam
09-08-2010, 02:02 PM
::hint hint::

O Brother, Where Art Thou

what can be better?

*psst*
Pale Rider.

Seriously, I really enjoyed O Brother, Where Art Thou, but I enjoyed Pale Rider more.

Sam
09-08-2010, 02:07 PM

Pam, I thought Heartbreak Ridge was actually a pretty positive film. Do you have any thoughts on that particular one?

The Rookie starring Eastwood and Charlie Sheen was another that was pretty good, and had a good ending to boot.

fernandito
09-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Sam - I love Pale Rider. Very underrated film.

Sam
09-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Clint Eastwood: Pale Rider

Coens: The Ladykillers

Still Servant
09-08-2010, 03:02 PM
I love the Coen brothers, but they've had some misses for me too.

Burn After Reading comes to mind. I also didn't really like O Brother Where Art Thou.

Jean
09-08-2010, 10:37 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif

turtlex
09-09-2010, 02:54 AM

How about Breezy (1973) ? That's kind of uplifting, though the positive is set against a very dark background. A film needs to have that to be inspiring, for me.
Like, I prefer Eastwood's patriotism over Spielberg's, if that makes sense..

re: Breezy. Sorry, I've never seen it. And, dare I add, never even heard of it.

re: Eastwood/Spielberg's patriotism. I love that way of stating it.

Sam ... Heartbreak Ridge? With Mario Van Peebles? Where he plays like Gunny Highway or something like that? With Marsha Mason?

fernandito
09-09-2010, 08:21 AM

Burn After Reading comes to mind. I also didn't really like O Brother Where Art Thou.

I've noticed that a couple of the Coen films fail to impress me upon my initial viewing, but I come to appreciate them much more with each subsequent viewing. OBWAT is one such film. It also boasts my favorite Clooney performance.

pathoftheturtle
09-09-2010, 11:25 AM
re: Breezy. Sorry, I've never seen it. And, dare I add, never even heard of it. Oh, there's nothing wrong with that; it's old and obscure, definitely a period piece, hardly acclaimed... but I like it. I really only brought it up, though, because of what it shows about Eastwood's personality and the course of his evolution as a director.

Still, please try to let me know what you think, if you should ever happen to come across it. :)

Darkthoughts
09-09-2010, 11:45 AM
I love the Coen brothers for Raising Arizona. It's not got the gravitas of some/most of their other films, but it's comedy genius and I think that's very hard to achieve. American comedies are a penny a dozen, but so much crap gets through the net that to be genuinely funny and clever is rare, imo.

Still Servant
09-09-2010, 02:56 PM

I've noticed that a couple of the Coen films fail to impress me upon my initial viewing, but I come to appreciate them much more with each subsequent viewing. OBWAT is one such film. It also boasts my favorite Clooney performance.

I agree with that. I remember watching Braveheart with my Dad when it came out. I was 15 and I remember being bored to death. Once I got older, I learned to appreciate different aspects of film. Now, Braveheart is one of my favorite movies.

I saw OBWAT when I was 20. My movie pallet was just developing to the point where it's at now, but it wasn't quite fully developed. Maybe I should go back and watch it again.

Jean
09-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Now, Braveheart is one of my favorite movies.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/bears_friends.gif

Still Servant
09-10-2010, 06:58 PM
You know this scene:

Robert the Bruce: Lands, titles, men, power, nothing.
Robert's Father: Nothing?
Robert the Bruce: I have nothing. Men fight for me because if they do not, I throw them off my land and I starve their wives and their children. Those men who bled the ground red at Falkirk, they fought for William Wallace, and he fights for something that I never had. And I took it from him, when I betrayed him. I saw it in his face on the battlefield and it's tearing me apart.
Robert's Father: All men betray. All lose heart.
Robert the Bruce: I don't wanna lose heart. I wanna believe as he does.

I used to have that whole thing memorized and I would often recite it at parties and family gatherings. Mainly just to piss my sister off. She hates when I do stuff like that.

Jean
09-10-2010, 09:17 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

alinda
09-11-2010, 06:43 AM
:clap: "I love that film too". :) I love too that you recite it here for us. thank you! :fairy:

fernandito
09-11-2010, 06:57 AM
I love the Coen brothers for Raising Arizona. It's not got the gravitas of some/most of their other films, but it's comedy genius and I think that's very hard to achieve. American comedies are a penny a dozen, but so much crap gets through the net that to be genuinely funny and clever is rare, imo.

Very well put , Lisa. What I love about Raising Arizona is that it's a comedy with heart and soul. The occurrences in the film are not just there to move the characters from one fart joke to the next, but it helps us to see the transformation of H.I from inmate to husband and loving father figure. I also loved that the Coens decided to personify HI's past / former self in the form of a bike riding, dynamite throwing bad ass :lol: He literally had to overcome his past self. It's just a great, great film.

Seymour_Glass
09-12-2010, 01:52 PM
My dad used to go to the same bar as the badass biker guy.

fernandito
09-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Joel & Ethan Coen advance !

Jean
09-13-2010, 08:49 AM
good