PDA

View Full Version : TGDT - Round 2 - Martin Scorsese vs Frank Darabont

fernandito
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Martin Scorsese's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000217/#director)
Notable films: Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Shutter Island, The Departed
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/board%20pics/BDOAT/MartinScorsese.jpg

Frank Darabont's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001104/)
Notable Films: The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Majestic, The Mist
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/board%20pics/BDOAT/FrankDarabont.jpg

fernandito
09-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Scorsese by a mile and a half.

Heather19
09-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Scorsese :couple:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Scorsese, it was tough, but the eyebrows won me over.

Jean
09-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Darabont

it was a tough choice for bears too. All in all, I think Scorsese is a better director, but I don't really like his movies

fernandito
09-04-2010, 05:49 AM
Scorsese is losing to this guy ? This guy !?!?!?

Jean
09-04-2010, 05:51 AM
it doesn't look very right indeed...

Heather19
09-04-2010, 06:09 AM

I know! :huglove:
There's still time though, so don't loose hope.

And don't get me wrong. I love some of Darabont's films, but I just feel Scorsese is a much stronger director.

Jean
09-04-2010, 06:19 AM
I feel the same, and if I had watched anything by him I really liked, I would have voted for him

alinda
09-04-2010, 06:26 AM
Are we voting for the films or the directors here?

Woofer
09-04-2010, 06:48 AM

And don't get me wrong. I love some of Darabont's films, but I just feel Scorsese is a much stronger director.

Probably because this is a Stephen King-related website and Frank Darabont has made three of the best SK novels-to-movies ever.

Seymour_Glass
09-04-2010, 06:51 AM

Scorsese should lose to Hitchcock, if anyone.

Jean
09-04-2010, 07:02 AM
well, in the end everybody will lose to Hitchcock, so what will it matter who he loses to now?

(although of course it does matter. And if in the end we get Spielberg, I will never forgive myself for not voting Scorsese now that it might have changed something)

Heather19
09-04-2010, 07:30 AM

Probably because this is a Stephen King-related website and Frank Darabont has made three of the best SK novels-to-movies ever.

Oh, I'm positive that's playing a big part. He definitely does know how to adapt a King story, that's for sure. And I always get excited when I see his name attached to a King film. But I think it's only here were you would see him doing so well. If we were on a movie forum, I doubt he would have made it past the first round.

pathoftheturtle
09-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Whereas Scorsese is far more influential. That doesn't always mean too much to me, but I do admire the man's talent.
I feel the same, and if I had watched anything by him I really liked, I would have voted for himDid you see No Direction Home?

Jean
09-04-2010, 07:54 AM
No, not this one. Do you think I should?

ETA:

the documentary, you mean?! Yes sure! But aren't we talking feature movies now?

pathoftheturtle
09-04-2010, 07:59 AM
I guess so. Can't really count T.V. projects like that. I was just interested in your opinion of it.

Jean
09-04-2010, 08:11 AM
I hardly have any intelligent one. I am fascinated with everything Dylan.

Mattrick
09-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Hard to say. I'm not really taking consideration with Scorscese's mob flicks, because while they have fantastic performances I still consider them to just be entertainment pieces at the end of the day. But I've heard nothing but good things about Shutter Island and Raging Bull, The Aviator was fantastic. Having not see Ragin Bull, Taxi Driver or cape fear, hard to see how he can branch out. It's obvious he is very talented at directing and working with his actors.

But Darabont made The Mist, which I consider to be the greatest horror movie ever and Shawshank Redemption which is just simply fantastic. I think Shawshank will win it for Darabont for me. It's just toooo good of a movie.

Seymour_Glass
09-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Scorsese is losing by the same margin as PTA.:panic:

:pullhair:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Well, I'm not too surprised that the director of the film that this site voted the "Greatest Movie Of All Time" is winning here.

Sam
09-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Darabont.

Woofer
09-04-2010, 04:54 PM
I haven't voted because my head says Scorsese, but my heart says Darabont.

Jean
09-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Well, I'm not too surprised that the director of the film that this site voted the "Greatest Movie Of All Time" is winning here.
I was surprised then, and I am surprised now.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-04-2010, 09:37 PM
I was a little surprised then, but not now.

Heather19
09-05-2010, 04:13 AM
Honestly I'm very surprised. Maybe not if the votes were a bit closer, but he's got almost double the amount of votes as Scorsese.

mae
09-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Wow this is so unfair. Darabont makes one great film (Shawshank) and one good film (The Mist) from Stephen King works and all of a sudden he's god? Scorsese is arguably one of the most influential and eminent directors alive.

Seymour_Glass
09-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Exactly how I feel.

Woofer
09-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Wow this is so unfair. Darabont makes one great film (Shawshank) and one good film (The Mist) from Stephen King works and all of a sudden he's god? Scorsese is arguably one of the most influential and eminent directors alive.

I'm surprised so many are surprised.

See my post. I'll probably flounder in uncertainty because I should vote Scorsese, but I want to vote Darabont.

It's a King fan site. King's adaptations usually suck. Someone who got two right is getting a lot of votes. How mysterious!

Srsly, though, it's a completely unscientific poll based on the personal opinions of a varied group brought together by their common love of King and Roland's story. Unfair is a relative term.

Hell, David Cronenberg wouldn't even BE in most polls for greatest director.

Jean
09-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Honestly I'm very surprised. Maybe not if the votes were a bit closer, but he's got almost double the amount of votes as Scorsese.
they are a bit closer now

IWasSentWest
09-05-2010, 01:09 PM
darabont is winning? wtf, i mean i know this is a stephen king site but come on....scorsese is should take this one easily

Seymour_Glass
09-05-2010, 01:56 PM
We're closing in, guys.

Woofer
09-05-2010, 02:26 PM
And I still haven't voted.

Seymour_Glass
09-05-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm resisting the urge to chat you up for Scorsese.

But Taxi Driver...... man, that was good.

DoctorDodge
09-05-2010, 03:37 PM

And that's just one of his many great films! Considering he also directed After Hours, GoodFellas, and one of the few remakes of the past ten years that was actually good with the Departed (if not quite as good as the original), he's certainly shown himself to be a very versatile director! My vote just had to go to him!

fernandito
09-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Come on, two more votes for Scorsese !

Seymour_Glass
09-05-2010, 06:48 PM

And that's just one of his many great films! Considering he also directed After Hours, GoodFellas, and one of the few remakes of the past ten years that was actually good with the Departed (if not quite as good as the original), he's certainly shown himself to be a very versatile director! My vote just had to go to him!

You've seen After Hours? I thought I was the only one! Oh my god was that crazy good.

Woofer
09-05-2010, 07:32 PM

You've seen After Hours? I thought I was the only one! Oh my god was that crazy good.

I watched it at a private midnight showing with friends. My bf was the theater manager.

Seymour_Glass
09-05-2010, 08:54 PM
That's rather awesome.

DoctorDodge
09-06-2010, 03:36 AM

I saw it, thought it was one of the most "WTF?!?" comedies I've ever seen (in a very good way), had no idea Scorsese directed it until a long time afterwards. That's why he gets my vote: he's not only good, but he can also surprise ya!

mae
09-06-2010, 04:57 AM
I'm surprised so many are surprised.

See my post. I'll probably flounder in uncertainty because I should vote Scorsese, but I want to vote Darabont.

It's a King fan site. King's adaptations usually suck. Someone who got two right is getting a lot of votes. How mysterious!

Srsly, though, it's a completely unscientific poll based on the personal opinions of a varied group brought together by their common love of King and Roland's story. Unfair is a relative term.

I think in a contest like this we should strive to be objective. I am, anyway.

I don't think so. Cronenberg is a celebrated filmmaker. He's had several films in the Criterion Collection. How many Darabont's films are in there?

Melike
09-06-2010, 05:17 AM
Scorsese.

fernandito
09-06-2010, 08:05 AM
@ this result

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/facepalm-1.jpg

fernandito
09-06-2010, 08:08 AM

I don't think so. Cronenberg is a celebrated filmmaker. He's had several films in the Criterion Collection. How many Darabont's films are in there?

Good call. Cronenberg is as not as critically acclaimed as some of the more mainstream directors, but both he and his films have a very strong following/fanbase , especially amongst the art-house crowd.

Walkingman79
09-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Scorsese.This was the easiest one for me by far.I just saw Shutter Island and thought it was a really great movie.I didn't even know he directed it until the credits rolled.

Seymour_Glass
09-06-2010, 10:03 AM
:scared:One more vote..... Come on......

turtlex
09-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Scorsese

Jean
09-06-2010, 11:00 AM
::drumroll::

a tie!

at last

only 30 or so hours ago they were 2:1

Seymour_Glass
09-06-2010, 11:01 AM
:onfire:

turtlex
09-06-2010, 11:01 AM
I can't believe it's this close.:scared:

Seymour_Glass
09-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Neither can I.

DoctorDodge
09-06-2010, 02:37 PM
This round is tighter than I am with money! It really is difficult to guess who's gonna win this one!

Seymour_Glass
09-06-2010, 02:41 PM
We're ahead!:panic:

Heather19
09-06-2010, 02:49 PM
:rock:

It's also interesting how this one's getting more votes than the other ones.

turtlex
09-07-2010, 03:18 AM
Heather - I think it's because of Shawshank. More people probably feel "qualified" to participate ... because this is one website where everyone has seen Shawshank!!

( loving your new sig, btw ... watched Rebel this weekend :wub: )

fernandito
09-07-2010, 03:19 AM
Hang on to that lead Marty !

Seymour_Glass
09-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Yeah!

Ricky
09-07-2010, 01:59 PM
this is one website where everyone has seen Shawshank!!

:unsure:

Still Servant
09-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Darabont's made some very good films, but if this wasn't a Dark Tower board, the poll would not be this close.

Jean
09-07-2010, 08:56 PM
precisely

Mattrick
09-08-2010, 01:10 AM
I was surprised then, and I am surprised now.

Everyone loves Shawshank Redemption. I'm pretty sure it overtook The Godfather on IMDB's top 250 now. Compared to many great films, it's easily accessible for anyone, regardless of taste in film. That is what makes it such a great movie.

Jean
09-08-2010, 01:15 AM
I don't think there's a single one person even right here on these boards who would call Shawshank their favorite movie ever. I like Shawshank, but it wouldn't even make my top 100, not even if I had to consider only English-language films. I am afraid the secret of its victory was that people voted against other movies they didn't like or just didn't see; Shawshank is something that suits everyone more or less.

Mattrick
09-08-2010, 01:27 AM
The contest wasn't favourite movie of all time :P

I can totally see that as well. Shawshank is a movie I'm sure everyone who posts here regularily has seen. It would take more weight into the polls due to that. But I don't think notoriety can take away from how good of a movie it is. It also depends on what country you're born in. 'Foreign films' are just that over here, foreign. The average North American doesn't watch foreign films so other than their niche audience, they get little recognition. My friend is a huge film buff and he's hooking me up with many classic and foreign films. There aren't many other guys I know who I could watch Machete with then go directly into The American and love both as I did.

ugh, North American cinema is not that great but at least there are some promising young actors getting lots of recognition.

Jean
09-08-2010, 01:39 AM
I referred to the time it was. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_tongue.gif

Agree with the rest: I have often complained here about the absurdity of there being "foreign films" as a separate genre for American audience.

mae
09-08-2010, 05:11 AM
Thankfully DVDs and Blu-rays have made it possible for anyone to experience those classics and foreign films (and classic foreign films). Of which I have a hefty collection myself of over a thousand titles, including a large swath of The Criterion Collection.

Brice
09-08-2010, 05:19 AM
I referred to the time it was. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_tongue.gif

Agree with the rest: I have often complained here about the absurdity of there being "foreign films" as a separate genre for American audience.

Yes, it's absurd and it certainly isn't a separate genre (or shouldn't be), but it is true that Americans watch very few foreign made films as a general rule.

fernandito
09-10-2010, 10:33 AM
*Bump

This poll is closing later today ...

fernandito
09-11-2010, 06:26 AM
Martin Scorsese advances !

:dance:

Jean
09-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Good. I didn't vote for him, but it looks right.