PDA

View Full Version : TGDT - Round 2 - David Cronenberg vs Ridley Scott

fernandito
08-29-2010, 01:35 PM
David Cronenberg's IMDB page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000343/)

Notable films: Eastern Promises, A History of Violence, The Fly, Scanners , Videodrome
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/board%20pics/BDOAT/david_cronenberg-1.jpg

Ridley Scott's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000631/)

Notable fims : Alien, Gladiator , Blade Runner, Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven
http://gordonandthewhale.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ridley_scott.jpg

fernandito
08-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Scott has made some great films, but I love all of Cronenberg's work, and most of them are personal favorites.

Heather19
08-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Cronenberg!

fernandito
08-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Who's voting for Scott ? Show yourselves !!!!! :P

turtlex
08-29-2010, 01:54 PM
That's me, Feev! :P

Difficult, but I went with Ridley Scott.

Two reasons for that ...
1. Thelma and Louise. I don't think there's any way that Cronenberg could have directed that film.
2. Blade Runner ( director's cut ).

fernandito
08-29-2010, 01:57 PM
1. I suppose not. He probably would have substituted Brad Pitt's character for a telekinetic alien disguising himself as a cereal box :rofl:

2. Great film :)

pathoftheturtle
08-29-2010, 02:29 PM
... Thelma and Louise. I don't think there's any way that Cronenberg could have directed that film.I suppose not. He probably would have substituted Brad Pitt's character for a telekinetic alien disguising himself as a cereal box :rofl:Imagine what the ending would've been!

DoctorDodge
08-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Also voted for Scott, feev. I've yet to watch Thelma and Louise, and he might not have directed anything quites so memorable recently, but Alien and Blade Runner are all time classics, and he hasn't done anything as bad to film as what Lucas did with his prequel trilogy.

Oh, and Pam: :thumbsup: for referring specifically to director's cut of Blade Runner. One of my alltime favourite films ever!

Seymour_Glass
08-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Cronenberg. Scott's always left me a bit cold.

Sam
08-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Ridley Scott, hands down.

Jean
08-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Cronenberg.

turtlex
08-30-2010, 02:44 AM
Oh, and Pam: :thumbsup: for referring specifically to director's cut of Blade Runner. One of my alltime favourite films ever!

Love the director's cut, it's more cohesive than the theatrical release. :couple:

frik
08-30-2010, 04:55 AM
Scott!
Anyone ever seen his much underrated Legend??
With Tom Cruise, I know, but also with an amazing ....well, who's this?? And no peeking!!

sk

http://thornefeather.com/images/tim_as_darkness.jpg

mae
08-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Again both absolute favorite directors, so a hugely tough choice. Had to go with Sir Ridley Scott. I mean just look at this filmography:

1977 The Duellists
1979 Alien
1982 Blade Runner
1985 Legend
1987 Someone to Watch Over Me
1989 Black Rain
1991 Thelma & Louise
1992 1492: Conquest of Paradise
1996 White Squall
1997 G.I. Jane
2000 Gladiator
2001 Hannibal
2001 Black Hawk Down
2003 Matchstick Men
2005 Kingdom of Heaven
2006 A Good Year
2007 American Gangster
2008 Body of Lies
2010 Robin Hood

And he's doing A Brave New World. The man is a god.

turtlex
08-30-2010, 07:12 AM
A hugely under-rated movie of Ridley Scott's is White Squall. I thought it was an outstanding performance by Jeff Bridges ( though the casting of Scott Wolf, I thought, was a mistake ).

Jean
08-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Again both absolute favorite directors, so a hugely tough choice. Had to go with Sir Ridley Scott. I mean just look at this filmography:
<...>
The man is a god.
I am afraid I'd better shut up...

Lisey Landon
08-30-2010, 07:21 AM
It's much more fun when you don't, Jean :D

Pam, I've never seen White Squall - just added to my rental list.

alinda
08-30-2010, 07:26 AM
Cronenberg,

Jean
08-30-2010, 07:31 AM

thank you love, first I have to lick my Spielberg wounds. I think I'll crawl back to where I crawled from for now

... but I shall crawl back out...

turtlex
08-30-2010, 07:37 AM

Pam, I've never seen White Squall - just added to my rental list.

I think you'll enjoy it. Based on a true story, btw. :thumbsup:

mae
08-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Everything Ridley Scott has filmed should be declared works of art and held in museums. :P

Jean
08-30-2010, 07:48 AM
::gags his mouth with both paws::

fernandito
08-30-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't know what it is about Scott's latest films .... they're very well made in technical categories, very well acted too (for the most part) ... but something about them seems so impersonal. As opposed to his earlier films, it's like he makes the films because he was hired to, not because he has any emotional tie to them or any particular urge to tell the story. I guess Ricky's assessment rings true for me too, in that Scott's films leave me feeling cold.

Cronenberg on the other hand, you can feel his presence through signature themes/techniques in every film he makes. His earlier films were all over the place, thematically and visually, but he's since gone on to make films that focus on one idea/theme and fleshes them out accordingly; they're much more self contained. I honestly have never seen a Cronenberg movie that I don't absolutely love.

Mattrick
08-30-2010, 12:21 PM
I gotta give it to Scott. Alien and Matchstick Men are amongst my favourite films. I haven't seen all of Blade Runner, however. Most of his films, that aren't great, are pefectly watchable. Can't say I've seen a bad Ridley Scott film.

For those that don't know, Scott is signed on to direct two alien prequels. :evil:

I have to see all of Cronenbergs older stuff but I've seen most of his recent work. A History of Violence is amazing.

fernandito
08-30-2010, 12:40 PM
I have to see all of Cronenbergs older stuff but I've seen most of his recent work. A History of Violence is amazing.

If you liked A History of Violence, you'll love Eastern Promises. Check that out.

His older films aren't as accessible as the last few ones he's made. Scanners is relatively straight forward, though. If you want to see Cronenberg at the peak of his surreal powers, watch Videodrome. You could also try eXistenZ, which is like a macabre version of The Matrix. Do not , I repeat, do not attempt to tackle Naked Lunch if you haven't watched Videodrome yet, or if you watched it and didn't like it. That film will chew you up and spit you out :lol:

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 01:55 PM
I have to admit, A History of Violence is definitely one of those movies I have to see! A good adaptation of a graphic novel by John Wagner? Fuck yeah!

Heather19
08-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Have you not seen it DD?!

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Nope, and I haven't read the comic either, since that's pretty hard to find, but I'm just a big fan of John Wagner's stuff, especially Judge Dredd, where the violence, moral themes and dark humour make the stories so much better than just the premise of a future cop, so it's one I do need to check out, methinks.

To be honest, I think one reason I haven't seen it is that I haven't seen much of Cronenburg's work other than Scanners, and...that really left me unimpressed. Idk, maybe there was just too much hype for it, maybe I just didn't "get" it, but it wasn't for me, really.

Heather19
08-30-2010, 02:15 PM
You have to watch it! It's probably my favorite Cronenberg film. And don't let your dislike of Scanners steer you away from watching it because they couldn't be more different from each other.

fernandito
08-30-2010, 02:16 PM
What Heather said :)

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Argh, you guys are really making me hate my lack of employment right about now, otherwise I'd just order the dvd right away!

Heather19
08-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Can't you rent it?

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 02:41 PM
I can't even afford that much right now, Heather, and even if I could, there's fuck all renting places around here now anyway. Besides, I could get it for 4 quid off Amazon, so I might as well just buy it anyway!

Mattrick
08-30-2010, 03:05 PM
I'll lend it to ya lol

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 03:14 PM
I think you guys are just gonna have to deal with the fact that it'll be another whole week at least before I see this movie! :lol:

(Although 4 quid is pretty cheap... :orely:)

turtlex
08-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Mattrick - Do yourself a favor and rent/buy the Director's Cut of Blade Runner. Amazing.

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 03:23 PM
What Pam said, and then make sure to see it again right afterwards. I've seen every version of Blade Runner, and whilst the theatrical cut was ok, it was butchered heavily with an unnecessary narration by Harrison Ford and an even more unnecessary "happy ending" that the studio decided to tack on. The director's cut? One of my favourite films ever. Surreal, gorgeous to this day, and so dense and multi-layered it took me 3 viewings before I finally decided how much I enjoyed it. That's the kind of film it is.

Heather19
08-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Would it shock you guys if I told you I've never seen Blade Runner :ninja:

Mattrick
08-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Isn't there like 8 versions of the directors cut for Blade Runner? I know there was a new cut re-released in theatres a little while ago. I saw the second half of the film in English class but missed the rest. We watched it due to the symbolsm, which no one else could figure out. Like the origami, the class was dumbfounded lol.

turtlex
08-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Not shocked, but we'd certainly encourage you to check it out, Heather!

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Not in the slightest, Heather. It's definitely more of a cult film which people either don't quite get, or are completely obsessed with it: there's nothing halfway about it. Obviously, I highly recommend seeing it, and so does Pam - and she's got good taste even if I don't! Definitely worth a look. No, make that two looks - this is something I need to stress, but you definitely need to see the director's cut or even final cut more than once to fully appreciate it.

turtlex
08-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Welll..... I'd recommend the Blade Runner (Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition). That's the one I have. :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51tSJ3dMBjL._AA300_.jpg

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Welll..... I'd recommend the Blade Runner (Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition). That's the one I have. :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51tSJ3dMBjL._AA300_.jpg

Ditto, but without the metal case! I think my favourite version is probably the Final Cut - it doesn't massively change anything, but it does smooth out the rough edges. Namely, getting rid of the rather noticeable "double" of Zhora in a rather infamous scene!

Heather19
08-30-2010, 03:34 PM
5 discs? Does it contain all the different versions, or is it just packed with bonus material?
I'll definitely check it out at some point. It's been on my too-see list for ages now.

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Both: it's got both the US and international theatrical cuts, the director's cut from the early 90s, the final cut, and a rarely seen "workprint cut", which I haven't got round to watching yet. It's also got commentaries, a ton of featurettes, and a huge, mega long documentary going into detail about Blade Runner from conception to its release and even beyond that. Definitely worth a purchase!

turtlex
08-30-2010, 03:37 PM
It has everthing, Heather. Check it out :

Disc One
RIDLEY SCOTT'S ALL-NEW "FINAL CUT" VERSION OF THE FILM
Commentary by Ridley Scott
Commentary by executive producer/co-screenwriter Hampton Fancher and co-screenwriter David Peoples; producer Michael Deely and production executive Katherine Haber
Commentary by visual futurist Syd Mead; production designer Lawrence G. Paull, art director David L. Snyder and special photographic effects supervisors Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich and David Dryer

Disc Two
DOCUMENTARY DANGEROUS DAYS: MAKING BLADE RUNNER

Disc Three
1982 THEATRICAL VERSION
1982 INTERNATIONAL VERSION
1992 DIRECTOR'S CUT

Disc Four
Featurette "The Electric Dreamer: Remembering Philip K. Dick"
Featurette "Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel vs. The Film"
Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interviews (audio)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Cover Gallery (images)
The Art of Blade Runner (image galleries)
Featurette "Signs of the Times: Graphic Design"
Featurette "Fashion Forward: Wardrobe & Styling"
Screen Tests: Rachel & Pris
Featurette "The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth"
Unit photography gallery
Deleted and alternate scenes
1982 promotional featurettes
Trailers and TV spots
Featurette "Promoting Dystopia: Rendering the Poster Art"
Marketing and merchandise gallery (images)
Featurette "Deck-A-Rep: The True Nature of Rick Deckard"
Featurette "--Nexus Generation: Fans & Filmmakers"

Disc Five
WORKPRINT VERSION
Commentary by Paul M. Sammon, author of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner
Featurette "All Our Variant Futures: From Workprint to Final Cut"
Packaging:
Unique 5-disc digi-package with handle which is a stylish version of Rick Deckard's own briefcase. In addition, each briefcase will be individually numbered and in limited supply.
Lenticular motion film clip from the original feature
Miniature origami unicorn figurine
Miniature replica spinner car
Collector's photographs
Signed personal letter from Sir Ridley Scott

I think you have to get this set in the secondary market now - no longer available via Amazon.

Heather19
08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Pam are you on netflix? What version do I want to watch, there's too many to choose from.

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Ok, I've got a lot less than I thought. Got everything but the stuff included with the packaging, like the unicorn figurine and stuff.

And I really hate myself for this, but I really want to hunt down that limited edition set now, just for the extra stuff! I hate being the Blade Runner fan that I am! Even hunted down a 2nd hand copy of a game from the 90s last year. Was surprised by how decent it was, actually. Have you played it at all, pam?

fernandito
08-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Just don't hype it up too much for yourself, Heather. I hate that it's sometimes marketed as an action-packed extravaganza, when in reality it's a relatively slow paced film. It's a great film, but it's minimalistic in a lot of ways. Still, it's influence over modern science fiction films is apparent.

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 03:48 PM
I think the way it's marketed is something I hate too, feev. The first time I watched it, I thought it was alright, but I was a bit dissapointed at how not that much seemed to happen in it. I was expecting a lot of fighting between Ford's character and a shit load of androids, loads of chases, things like that. Instead, I had seen a film I really wasn't sure I liked. Still, I had bought the 5 disc set (not to mention arranged a date with someone to see it at the cinema), so I thought I'd give it another viewing. When I took it for what it was, I liked it, but there was still a shitload of stuff that went over my head. 3rd time, I loved it.

fernandito
08-30-2010, 03:57 PM
That's one of the things that throws me off the most, when I go into a film expecting it to be a certain way because of trailers/the way it was marketed and ending up with something completely different. Same thing happened to me with Blade Runner, the back of the DVD box literally says "Action packed film!" :lol:

I can understand why that happens, I mean - "Action packed film!" is more likely to sell than "Methodically paced Sci-Fi film meant to question our perception of reality" , but still ... it annoys me <_<

Heather19
08-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Just don't hype it up too much for yourself, Heather. I hate that it's sometimes marketed as an action-packed extravaganza, when in reality it's a relatively slow paced film. It's a great film, but it's minimalistic in a lot of ways. Still, it's influence over modern science fiction films is apparent.

Thanks. Do you think it's one I would like? To be honest it's never interested me, but I've heard so many people rave about it that it had gotten me curious.

fernandito
08-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks. Do you think it's one I would like? To be honest it's never interested me, but I've heard so many people rave about it that it had gotten me curious.

Honestly, I don't think you'll like it, based on your tastes and movies I've recommended to you that you didn't like ...

Give it a shot though, I may be way off :)

Seymour_Glass
08-30-2010, 04:21 PM
I can understand why that happens, I mean - "Action packed film!" is more likely to sell than "Methodically paced Sci-Fi film meant to question our perception of reality" , but still ... it annoys me <_<

I would have taken "atmospheric sci-fi thriller" myself.

And Heather, i think it's worth a look. I have issues with it because i read Philip K. Dick's book first, but it's a good film with great visuals.

Heather19
08-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I think of it when I see it :)

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Cool. My personal recommendation Heather is the Final Cut or the Director's Cut: there really is very little difference between those two versions, at least not nearly as much as between the Director's Cut and the Theatrical versions. I really don't know if you'll enjoy it, Heather, but I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

Melike
08-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Cronenberg, all the way.

Brice
08-31-2010, 05:49 AM
:huglove:

fernandito
08-31-2010, 07:01 AM
Cronenberg, all the way.

You, voting for Cronenberg ? Really ? Never would have guessed that ...

:wub:

Woofer
09-01-2010, 06:51 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ACQccpcVwNk/Sd_J1B41ORI/AAAAAAAAFqk/TCkvtmPlLBs/s400/nightbreed8.jpg

Jean
09-02-2010, 12:58 AM
more votes for Cronenberg, anyone? time is running short...

Melike
09-02-2010, 05:28 AM
:huglove:

Cronenberg, all the way.

You, voting for Cronenberg ? Really ? Never would have guessed that ...

:wub:

:grouphug:

Woofer
09-02-2010, 07:57 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ACQccpcVwNk/Sd_J1B41ORI/AAAAAAAAFqk/TCkvtmPlLBs/s400/nightbreed8.jpg

In case someone here isn't aware, that's David Cronenberg in the mask.

We're still losing.

Jean
09-03-2010, 11:57 PM
guys, only two days left! Cronenberg?

fernandito
09-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Ridley Scott advances !

Jean
09-06-2010, 12:20 AM
grrrr

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-06-2010, 02:00 AM