PDA

View Full Version : TGDT - Round 2 - Christopher Nolan vs George Lucas

fernandito
08-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Christopher Nolan's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0634240/)

Notable films : Memento,Inception, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, The Prestige
http://images.contactmusic.com/images/reviews/cnolan.jpg

George Lucas IMDB page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000184/)

Notable films: Star Wars Episode I/II/III/IV, American Graffiti
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/heather1019/board%20pics/BDOAT/george-lucas-1.jpg

fernandito
08-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Guess :)

DoctorDodge
08-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Hmmm...the guy who not only made Batman cool again, but made one of the best films based on a comic book ever, as well as Inception ('nuff said), or...the guy who thought that Jar Jar Binks was a good idea?

Bloody hell, I'm having a really tough time with these two directors!

Heather19
08-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Nolan!

turtlex
08-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Guess :)

No.
Wait.
Don't tell me.... :huglove:

CyberGhostface
08-29-2010, 02:38 PM
To be fair, I think Lucas ultimately had a much bigger impact on cinema and popular culture as we know it with the original Star Wars trilogy, but...yeah, still voting for Nolan. :dance:

Walkingman79
08-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Had to go with Nolan.

Seymour_Glass
08-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah, so this Chris Nolan guy......:cool:

alkanto
08-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Have to go with Lucas. The impact his movies have had on me...I think the only director that could beat him out is Jackson...I have a thing for SciFi epics, it would seem :)

On that note, however, I do love Nolan films. They are more mind-thriller type movies, which are good but don't hold me as much as Star Wars and such tend to. (But if it wasn't Lucas as the contender, I would vote for him solely on the fact he had to do with The Prestige!)

Sam
08-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Lucas himself is a horrible director. He has made some films that have vastly changed the movie world, especially in the world of special effects. But this is about directors, not influential films, and Lucas really can't direct as well as Nolan. As much as it truly, truly pains me to vote against Star Wars, I'm casting my vote for Nolan.

IWasSentWest
08-29-2010, 06:13 PM
nolan

i agree with same, lucas' movies have greatly influenced cinema. but as a director, he is average

Mattrick
08-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Lucas is fucking awful. There is a reason Empire Strikes Back was as good as it was.

Sam
08-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Lucas isn't fucking awful, American Graffiti and Revenge of the Sith were pretty good films. I've always felt that The Phantom Menace was actually a better film than many give credit. Sure there were elements that I didn't like (Jar Jar Binks, the midichlorians plotline, and Jake Lloyd's horrible acting skills) but it was still a good film.

turtlex
08-30-2010, 02:46 AM
Um, George Lucas didn't direct the first three Star Wars movies, only New Hope.

mae
08-30-2010, 07:00 AM
Talk about a no-brainer.

Brice
08-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Can I vote twice...once FOR Nolan, and once AGAINST Lucas, please?

Jean
08-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Can I vote twice...once FOR Nolan, and once AGAINST Lucas, please?
I have already voted against Lucas, Brice. Couldn't vote for Nolan because haven't seen anything by him yet; but you can count my vote as your second one.

Brice
08-30-2010, 10:31 AM
:thumbsup: :dance:

Ricky
08-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Nolan x7

fernandito
08-30-2010, 11:40 AM
I have already voted against Lucas, Brice. Couldn't vote for Nolan because haven't seen anything by him yet;

You should remedy this soon, Jean. If the Batman movies aren't your cup of tea, start off with Memento and The Prestige. If you like those two films, try tackling Inception - should be out on DVD before the end of the year ...

Jean
08-30-2010, 11:53 AM
I know that! I know that! I'll [censored: piracy alert] me some Nolan first thing tomorrow!

fernandito
08-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Good bear :)

I have a strong feeling you'll like them both. Nolan's specialties are character study and psychological complexes , woven into the fabric of visually compelling films. I'm sure bears will come away impressed.

I could be wrong though ! :P

alkanto
08-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Which is one for the best ones, IMO.

Mattrick
08-30-2010, 12:38 PM

Which is one for the best ones, IMO.

For it's campiness, yes a New Hope is good. It's only riffled with some of the worst acting any big movie has ever seen. Empire Strikes Back (and I don't think I'm alone here) is the greatest of the Star Wars movies. Not only was it not directed by Lucas but it wasn't even written by Lucas.

fernandito
08-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Empire Strikes Back (and I don't think I'm alone here) is the greatest of the Star Wars movies.

Agreed.

Odetta
08-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Empire Strikes Back (and I don't think I'm alone here) is the greatest of the Star Wars movies.

Agreed.

seconded

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Yeah, Lucas made a huge impact on cinema, and Star Wars was something that caught people's imaginations like no other movie had done, but his biggest problem - and this is why he fails as a director - is that while he can come up with a great story idea, he can't tell that story well in the slightest! The best reason why Empire's so good, as pointed out by Mattrick, was that Lucas was smart enough to let other people handle the two most important parts of the storytelling process in film. Even Harrison Ford said to him, "George, you can type this shit, but you sure as hell can't say it." Listen to half the dialogue in Ep IV and you'll see what I mean, there's some really terrible lines in that movie, it's just that the story moves at such a nice pace that you don't really notice it, something that can't be said of the bore that is Attack of the Clones. Too many terrible "romantic" scenes in that film! "I wish that I could just...wish away my feelings." Urgh! Any good director would've just cut that trash out, or better yet, give the story idea to a good scriptwriter! I'm sorry, but Lucas is just not that good. As a guy coming up with cool ideas and who changed how science fiction film should look forever, yes, he was great at that, but at directing? No. Not in the slightest.

fernandito
08-30-2010, 01:41 PM
It still annoys me to see Lucas in that picture with Scorsese, Spielberg, and Coppola when Scorsese won his award. :arg:

Seymour_Glass
08-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Me too, feev, me too.

Brice
08-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Jean, I'll second Feev's recommendation of Memento.

Seymour_Glass
08-30-2010, 03:14 PM

I third that. It's top-notch and interestingly constructed.

turtlex
08-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Empire is my favorite as well.

Heather19
08-30-2010, 03:29 PM

And I'll fourth it. I'm pretty sure it's one that you'd enjoy Jean. :)
I think you would also really like Following by him as well.

Seymour_Glass
08-30-2010, 03:55 PM
I still need to see Following. it's on my list. And my Netflix queue.

fernandito
08-30-2010, 03:59 PM
I still need to see Following. it's on my list. And my Netflix queue.

Move it to the top. The very top. NAO !

Is that the only Nolan film you have yet to see ?

Seymour_Glass
08-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Yeah, that's it. I checked and it's on instant. Guess what I'm doing tonight?

fernandito
08-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Going to ... the ... gym ?

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Watching Doctor Who? (Oh wait, that's what I'm doing!)

Seymour_Glass
08-30-2010, 04:12 PM
No. I'm going to save the Pope from aliens, then maybe watch Following.

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 04:16 PM

Ok, so less watching the plot of a dr who episode, and more living it. Awesome.

Heather19
08-30-2010, 04:17 PM

:thumbsup: Enjoy!

Oh and I love your new theme by the way.

Seymour_Glass
08-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks, heather. And I thought you guys might like that.

Jean
08-30-2010, 09:04 PM

And I'll fourth it. I'm pretty sure it's one that you'd enjoy Jean. :)
I think you would also really like Following by him as well.

will have Memento tonight, tomorrow at the latest

Mattrick
08-31-2010, 02:48 AM
Jean, Memento is just absolutely brilliant. I never get tired of watching that incredible piece of cinema. I was lucky enough to have seen that movie when it first released on DVD, it's become more of a cult hit since then.

Brice
08-31-2010, 04:48 AM
I didn't even realize Memento was

a) by Nolan

or

b) so poppular.

I've probably watched it a hundred times by now.

fernandito
08-31-2010, 07:21 AM
Yup, Memento is what put Nolan on the map.

Jean
09-02-2010, 12:59 AM
once again, Lucas voters prefer to stay anonymous... except for one brave alkanto

turtlex
09-02-2010, 02:26 AM
once again, Lucas voters prefer to stay anonymous... except for one brave alkanto

I'll go there, my bear. :couple:

Yup. I voted for Lucas. I'll step up.

Here's the reason why... American Graffiti. I don't think Nolan could have done American Graffiti.

fernandito
09-02-2010, 06:11 AM
And I don't think Lucas could have done anything Nolan did :P

turtlex
09-02-2010, 06:18 AM
Hmmmm.... Not so sure about that.

Also, I admit to a great deal of sentimentality about my choice - George Lucas/Star Wars changed the way I view movies and the possibilities they present. I remember the day I saw it, and always will. I can't say that about any Nolan film I've ever seen.

Oh, and of course, I don't think I will ever forgive Nolan for allowing CB to whisper his way through TDK. How can a director who brought The Joker out of Heath Ledger, allow such a thing?

DoctorDodge
09-02-2010, 06:25 AM
Well, I've yet to see American Graffiti, or THX 1138, for that matter, but still, Lucas gets marked several points down for the bad storytelling in episodes I and II. III wasn't quite so bad, I will admit I enjoyed that, but even that seemed rather rushed in telling its story, which considering how much padding there was in the other two prequels is rather shocking!

However, I will need to see American Graffiti now if you're choosing Lucas over Nolan for it, Pam! That must be a really good film!

Jean
09-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Yes.

Now that I am halfway through The Prestige, I have to suppose American Graffity has to be really fucking good to compete.

turtlex
09-02-2010, 06:31 AM
I absolutely loved American Graffiti. I think it's a classic. That being said - again, I'm sure that sentimentality played into my choice.

The director's cut of THX 1138 is to be released on Blu-Ray soon. I look forward to that.

ETA : Jean, I thought The Prestige was mediocre at best.

I know I'm definitely in the minority here, but to me, Nolan is no Great Director. He's good. He has amazing moments. But I have so many on my list of favorites ahead of him, he's not even on my radar. Sorry. ( and flame away, my friends! )

DoctorDodge
09-02-2010, 06:37 AM
FLAME ON! :onfire:

Wait, I'm not a Nolan fanatic! I've enjoyed his work so far, but I'm sure you're gonna get a lot of flack from just feev alone on this one, pam! Besides, I'm still too pissed off at my favourite director getting kicked out so early in this tournament to give an opinion on any others. (Although I do hope you won't be too pissed off at me for making a Marvel reference to Fantastic 4, and not X-Men! :lol:)

turtlex
09-02-2010, 06:42 AM
:lol:

DD - I'm not saying your a Nolan Fanatic, just that I know a lot of folks here think he's just fantastic.

Feev and I have discussed my issues with TDK and continue to be friends, so I'm not too worried. :couple:

Hey, this is all about personal opinion, right? Think of all the directors in this tourney! Think of those who aren't here ( how did we miss John Sayles? ) ... To me, Nolan isn't as impressive as half of them.

I don't get pissed at too many people - and any Marvel reference is okay with me!! :D

Jean
09-02-2010, 06:45 AM
I know I'm definitely in the minority here, but to me, Nolan is no Great Director. He's good. He has amazing moments. But I have so many on my list of favorites ahead of him, he's not even on my radar. Sorry. ( and flame away, my friends! )
For the time being, I have about 50 directors, from various places and times, ahead of Nolan.
Another thing is that I've never considered Lucas among directors, in my understanding of this word, at all.

DoctorDodge
09-02-2010, 06:49 AM
DD - I'm not saying your a Nolan Fanatic, just that I know a lot of folks here think he's just fantastic.

I know, I was just making the point that whilst I've liked his films, like you he's not currently one of my favourite directors just yet, and there's been quite a few that have impressed me a lot more. No, I'm an Edgar Wright fanatic all the way - any director who can make Michael Cera look badarse is a really fucking good director in my book! :lol:

turtlex
09-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Jean, I certainly can see why you would have that opinion. And I respect that more than I can express here.

Could it be a one-shot wonder deal? Or even a two-shot wonder, or whatever? You know - probably. I can own that. Sentiment. I'm there. Star Wars being so cool and being such a part of my life. Yup.

So, okay - ownage, I voted with my heart. And like I said - I'll never forget Star Wars, ever. I can't say that about any of Nolan's pictures yet. Could he, one day, do something so amazing that it hits me and changes my perceptions - you never know. I hope he does. That's part of what I love above movies.

DD - What say we settle this little poll by seeing who can throw shoes over the pub?!?

DoctorDodge
09-02-2010, 06:52 AM
:bows in complete awe of using Finchy reference:

You don't have a smilie for that? Huh, well that should be corrected! :lol:

pathoftheturtle
09-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Lucas: A good producer.

American Graffiti: A Three-Star Film.

The Prestige: Pretty damn good when you're halfway through.

turtlex
09-02-2010, 06:54 AM

:couple: I knew you would get that !!!!

Jean
09-02-2010, 06:55 AM
oh fuck... does it mean it will get worse from now on?... I've loved it so far, I even had to make a short break to have a clearer head for the rest of it.

turtlex
09-02-2010, 06:58 AM
oh fuck... does it mean it will get worse from now on?... I've loved it so far, I even had to make a short break to have a clearer head for the rest of it.

Nope. It just means that I didn't like it much. If you like it this far, you'll enjoy it completely. :D

Jean
09-02-2010, 07:00 AM
::suspicious::

what did Mike mean, then?...

turtlex
09-02-2010, 07:02 AM
Hmm... not sure... It's an interesting ending, but to me, in total, an utterly forgettable film.

Path?

fernandito
09-02-2010, 07:02 AM
Pay these heathens no mind jean, and continue to enjoy the masterpiece that is The Prestige. :)

Jean
09-02-2010, 07:11 AM
that's what I am fully intending to do

pathoftheturtle
09-02-2010, 07:19 AM
...to me, in total, an utterly forgettable film. Pretty much. Me too. Still...

Pay these heathens no mind jean, and continue to enjoy the masterpiece that is The Prestige. :)

that's what I am fully intending to doSounds like a plan. Certainly didn't mean to mess you up.

Nope. It just means that I didn't like it much. If you like it this far, you'll enjoy it completely. :DCould be. After all, no one's just like me.

Oh, BTW, I totally voted for Nolan here.

DoctorDodge
09-02-2010, 07:26 AM

:couple: I knew you would get that !!!!

Of course! One advantage to the series being so short: every single moment is instantly memorable! I think Tim stopping his radio hat from also being thrown over despite complaining about it before is another classic moment of subtlety that says everything about the character!

Regarding you choosing Lucas over Nolan out of sentimentality, I can definitely relate to ya on that: my love of Blade Runner was what made me choose Scott over Cronenberg, after all, and if we had a contest over best tv show, despite having seen great shows like Deadwood, Lost, and Rome, I will always vote for Doctor Who, mostly because it had a such a huge impact on my childhood, which was even more considerably bigger than the impact of both Star Wars and Harry Potter put together!

And I suppose I can't find too much fault with Lucas over Phantom Menace, at least. It did lead to one of my favourite quotes in a tv show ever:

Bilbo: What about the ewoks? They were rubbish, you never complain about them!
Tim: That's because Jar Jar Binks makes the ewoks look like fucking Shaft!

:rofl: Never a truer word spoken!

Woofer
09-02-2010, 08:00 AM
The Prestige is actually my least favorite so far. I've not seen all his films.

Seymour_Glass
09-02-2010, 09:09 AM
My least favorite is Insomnia. You can tell he didn't have a hand in writing it, and I'm not a big fan of remakes anyway. It just seems to me to be a well-made Hollywood thriller.

fernandito
09-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Yeah, Insomnia is my least favorite of his too. In all fairness though, it was only his second feature film and it's decent for what it is, he's come a long way since then.

And besides , Nolan's worst is still better than a lot of directors best :)

Woofer
09-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Hrm. I haven't seen Insomnia because it wasn't Insomnia, so I was too pissed to watch the movie that it was. You all know what I mean by that. Hehe.

American Graffiti is Lucas at his top. Love love love the movie.

pathoftheturtle
09-02-2010, 01:15 PM
At his top as a director, yes... but I still can't give it 3 whole loves, lol.

Ricky
09-02-2010, 02:30 PM
I thought The Prestige was mediocre at best.

:o

That's okay...I've never seen Star Wars. :lol:

Woofer
09-02-2010, 03:07 PM
At his top as a director, yes... but I still can't give it 3 whole loves, lol.

I'm a nostalgia nut, though, so that movie is packed with awesome for me. :)

Sam
09-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Yes.

Now that I am halfway through The Prestige, I have to suppose American Graffity has to be really fucking good to compete.

I'm not really sure what you'll think of it Jean. It is a very... American film. What I mean is that I think it plays really well to a generation and even to the generation after that (people in their 30's and 40's now) but I think it is also a cultural film as well that may not translate over very well into other cultural areas of the world.

Either way, American Graffiti is certainly a better film and better story than The Prestige. As a magician, I found The Prestige interesting, unrealistic, and disappointing all at the same time. As a film watcher, I found it decent the first time around, but boring on the second watching.

Still Servant
09-02-2010, 03:58 PM
I haven’t seen Following yet either.

I voted for Nolan. Then again, in order to stay friends with Feev, I’m contractually obligated to vote for Nolan every round.

I enjoyed The Prestige. I’ve noticed that there are two kinds of people. Those that prefer The Prestige and those that prefer The Illusionist.

Sam
09-02-2010, 04:05 PM
I prefer The Illusionist.

Woofer
09-02-2010, 04:07 PM
I've not seen The Illusionist yet.

fernandito
09-02-2010, 04:08 PM
I voted for Nolan. Then again, in order to stay friends with Feev, I’m contractually obligated to vote for Nolan every round.

You bet your ass you are !

I enjoyed The Prestige. I’ve noticed that there are two kinds of people. Those that prefer The Prestige and those that prefer The Illusionist.

The Prestige is light years ahead of The Illusionist.

Mattrick
09-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Illusionist sucked. If it wasn't for Paul Giamatti and his awesomeness, the movie would have been a total write off.

Jean
09-03-2010, 12:49 AM
I'm not really sure what you'll think of it Jean. It is a very... American film. What I mean is that I think it plays really well to a generation and even to the generation after that (people in their 30's and 40's now) but I think it is also a cultural film as well that may not translate over very well into other cultural areas of the world.

Either way, American Graffiti is certainly a better film and better story than The Prestige. As a magician, I found The Prestige interesting, unrealistic, and disappointing all at the same time. As a film watcher, I found it decent the first time around, but boring on the second watching.
I am going to see American Graffiti, then, as soon as I can. Something went wrong with my source today.

You bet your ass you are !
I am going to vote for Nolan every round in which he faces Spielberg or Tarantino.

fernandito
09-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Christopher Nolan advances !

:dance:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-05-2010, 06:38 PM
I also preferred The Illusionist.

Jean
09-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Christopher Nolan advances !

:dance:
good

Jean
09-06-2010, 06:03 AM
Well, I regret to say, it didn't. I mean, I watched about one third and realized I just couldn't go on.

Either way, American Graffiti is certainly a better film and better story than The Prestige. Well, no.

Sam
09-06-2010, 06:09 AM
I thought virtually everything about American Graffiti was better than The Prestige. The acting is the only thing that was rougher, and that's because quite a few of the actors were in the beginning of their careers. Everything else was better, IMO. It doesn't matter though since this poll is over and Nolan advances. He deserves it because he really is the better director of the two.

Woofer
09-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Well, I regret to say, it didn't. I mean, I watched about one third and realized I just couldn't go on.

Aww. I guess I will survive, though. Big Dog doesn't like Grease.