PDA

View Full Version : TDGT - Round 2 - Danny Boyle vs Chan Wook-Park

fernandito
08-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Danny Boyle's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000965/)

Notable films : 28 Days Later, Trainspotting, Slumdog Millionaire, Sunshine, Shallow Grave
http://www.topnews.in/files/Danny-Boyle_0.jpg

Chan Wook-Park's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0661791/)

Notable films : Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance, Old Boy , I'm a Cyborg but that's ok, Thirst
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/10/14/1255538931533/park-chan-wook-001.jpg

fernandito
08-19-2010, 03:04 PM
NOTE : In case of a tie in the poll, the posts below will be used as a final tie breaker.

IWasSentWest
08-19-2010, 03:21 PM
you misspelled cyborg

i vote for boyle

fernandito
08-19-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm going to have to sit on this one for a bit ... I absolutely love both of these directors' films.

turtlex
08-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Boyle. Easy one for me. Trainspotting and Shallow Grave. Done deal.

Heather19
08-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Boyle. Easy one for me. Trainspotting and Shallow Grave. Done deal.

Ditto :D

fernandito
08-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Chan Wook Park.

Jean
08-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Park

Brice
08-20-2010, 05:10 AM
Park for certain. Boyle doesn't even belong in the same building, imo. He shouldn't be allowed in the audience when Park gets an award.

fernandito
08-20-2010, 06:09 AM
Park for certain. Boyle doesn't even belong in the same building, imo. He shouldn't be allowed in the audience when Park gets an award.

Is it because you think Park is that good or because you think Boyle is that bad ?

Jean
08-20-2010, 06:12 AM
I personally don't think Boyle is all that bad, I liked Shallow Grave, The Beach, and some parts (actually, everything except the zombies, which are hilarious, although probably were not supposed to be) of 28 Days Later.

Melike
08-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Park. :(

I am going to cry.

Though, I know Wook-park doesn't have the chance to survive long, not that he is not the best but because of the existance of other factors.

I am going to cry.

Jean
08-21-2010, 01:25 PM
because of the "other factors", only one of the [preciously few] directors I deem the best has a chance, however slim, to survive till the end, and it is Hitchcock

well, at least I hope he has a chance...

Brice
08-21-2010, 03:23 PM

Is it because you think Park is that good or because you think Boyle is that bad ?

Because Park is that good. I have only seen 28 days by boyle. It was alright.

I personally don't think Boyle is all that bad, I liked Shallow Grave, The Beach, and some parts (actually, everything except the zombies, which are hilarious, although probably were not supposed to be) of 28 Days Later.

I am going to cry.

Though, I know Wook-park doesn't have the chance to survive long, not that he is not the best but because of the existance of other factors.

I am going to cry.

If y'all make Melikey cry I am going to beat you up. :angry:

because of the "other factors", only one of the [preciously few] directors I deem the best has a chance, however slim, to survive till the end, and it is Hitchcock

Certainly Hitch will be in the running a bit. Something is VERY much amiss if he does not stick around. I mean I understand he may not win, but I'd put him above MOST of these other directors.

Heather19
08-21-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't know, I have high hopes that Hitchcock will make it to the end.

And Brice have you not seen Trainspotting? I thought for sure you had for some reason.

Brice
08-21-2010, 04:21 PM
i have not.

Heather19
08-21-2010, 04:23 PM
You should check it out at some point. I'd highly recommend it.

Brice
08-21-2010, 04:25 PM
I will try.

Heather19
08-21-2010, 04:26 PM
:D

I know, your list keeps growing doesn't it :lol:

Brice
08-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Yes, it does and I watch far too few films and we already have thousands at my house that I've yet to see. :lol:

fernandito
08-22-2010, 05:55 AM

Well then how can you say that Boyle doesn't belong anywhere near Park if you've only seen one film by him ? Bricey, Bricey, Bricey :P

Seriously though, you should at least check out Trainspotting ... I have a feeling that film might make you change your mind about Boyle. :)

Melike
08-22-2010, 07:02 AM

I hope the same Jean. :couple:

I am going to cry.

I am going to cry.

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy168/melikeb/emoticons/cfd41ec9.gif

*Seriously, you better listen him. :D*

Well then how can you say that Boyle doesn't belong anywhere near Park if you've only seen one film by him ? Bricey, Bricey, Bricey :P

Seriously though, you should at least check out Trainspotting ... I have a feeling that film might make you change your mind about Boyle. :)

Shizzie, you will be torturing to everytime you mention Trainspotting in this thread, reminding me my vote against Boyle.
*sigh*
But it is Wook-park.

Woofer
08-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Brice, Please see Shallow Grave. Love, Woof

ETA: Ooops, I went with Chan Wook-Park, too.

pathoftheturtle
08-22-2010, 12:07 PM
28 Days Later just about my least favorite Boyle.

Brice
08-22-2010, 02:06 PM

Simple! Haven't I mentioned I make no attempt at objectivity. :P

I hope the same Jean. :couple:

I am going to cry.

I am going to cry.

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy168/melikeb/emoticons/cfd41ec9.gif

*Seriously, you better listen him. :D*

Shizzie, you will be torturing to everytime you mention Trainspotting in this thread, reminding me my vote against Boyle.
*sigh*
But it is Wook-park.

Yes, y'all had better listen. :D

Brice, Please see Shallow Grave. Love, Woof

ETA: Ooops, I went with Chan Wook-Park, too.

I will try. :)

turtlex
08-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Brice - I double up on the reco for Shallow Grave!

Seymour_Glass
08-22-2010, 08:57 PM
As good as the Vengeance Trilogy was, I have to give it to Boyle. Trainspotting is kinetic in a way that very few movies are, and it may be my favorite direction of a screenplay ever.

CyberGhostface
08-23-2010, 10:19 AM
I love Boyle, but yeah...no question. Definitely Park.

Also it would be Park Chan-wook. Or Chan-wook Park. Not Chan Wook-park.

Woofer
08-24-2010, 06:28 AM
A Wolf and Pam rec = FAR OUT so you know you have to see it

Mattrick
08-25-2010, 04:37 AM
Danny Boyle is great, glad he's finally starting to get some recognition. His only real flop was The Beach which was written by his long time friend collaborater, Alex Garland. The novel the beach was much better than the movie.

But Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, Sunshine, 28 Days Later (one of the greatest horrors ever made) and Slumdog Millionaire are all excellent films.

And Brice, you can't judge a director by one movie. At least in the categories where I can't believe Guilermo is beating Howard and Gilliam is beating Spielberg, I've at least seen a half dozen or more of their movies to judge on, even then I know they are good directors. To say Boyle doesn't even belong in the same building as Park is just...ignorant. That would be like juding James Cameron on Pirhana Part Two alone or Clint Eastwood with Firefox.

Brice
08-25-2010, 04:45 AM
Danny Boyle is great, glad he's finally starting to get some recognition. His only real flop was The Beach which was written by his long time friend collaborater, Alex Garland. The novel the beach was much better than the movie.

But Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, Sunshine, 28 Days Later (one of the greatest horrors ever made) and Slumdog Millionaire are all excellent films.

And Brice, you can't judge a director by one movie. At least in the categories where I can't believe Guilermo is beating Howard and Gilliam is beating Spielberg, I've at least seen a half dozen or more of their movies to judge on, even then I know they are good directors. To say Boyle doesn't even belong in the same building as Park is just...ignorant. That would be like juding James Cameron on Pirhana Part Two alone or Clint Eastwood with Firefox.

I've gotta' reject this logic. I can in fact judge him based on one movie...or two...or three, etc... Of course an opinion by someone who's experienced more should carry more weight than mine, but it doesn't totally negate my opinion.I'll embrace my ignorance on this subject, and my vote will express the same.

turtlex
08-25-2010, 04:57 AM
I like to judge based on my ability to pronounce the director's name properly. Had to go with Boyle.

;) Just kidding!!

Mattrick
08-25-2010, 05:00 AM
I've gotta' reject this logic. I can in fact judge him based on one movie...or two...or three, etc... Of course an opinion by someone who's experienced more should carry more weight than mine, but it doesn't totally negate my opinion.I'll embrace my ignorance on this subject, and my vote will express the same.

It doesn't negate your opinion that you like Park more. But to go as far to say Boyle shouldn't even be in the same building as Park...that's totally something different. You may as just well say Boyle is shit and should stay on the sidewalk. The guy won an oscar for Best Direction. He's not exactly chump change.

turtlex
08-25-2010, 05:01 AM
Oh, please do not use the Oscar's as a gauge of greatness... Kevin Costner won for Dances. It's a good film, but he beat Scorsese. Please.

Brice
08-25-2010, 05:02 AM
If I were trying or pretending to try to be objective you'd certainly be correct. I make no claims to either though.

Mattrick
08-25-2010, 05:57 AM
Oh, please do not use the Oscar's as a gauge of greatness... Kevin Costner won for Dances. It's a good film, but he beat Scorsese. Please.

Goodfella's was a good movie but I do think it is slightly overrated. Dances With Wolves was a better drama and had better directing. I think Costner deserved it, though not by a landslide. It really could have gone either way. Dances with Wolves is an excellent movie, one I would love to watch again because it's been so long.

Now if you want to talk about Oscar rip offs...look no further than The Pianist losing to Chicago or Saving Private Ryan losing to Shakesphere in Love or Sean Penn losing to Denzel.

turtlex
08-25-2010, 06:03 AM
I was just referring to your line of
The guy won an oscar for Best Direction. He's not exactly chump change.

An Oscar does not equal a great director. It means, for one moment in time, a bunch of people in the AMPAS thought you were better than four other people. It does not mean you're a great director, not by any stretch.

We'll agree to disagree about Goodfellas.

fernandito
08-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Goodfella's was a good movie but I do think it is slightly overrated. Dances With Wolves was a better drama and had better directing. I think Costner deserved it, though not by a landslide.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l416/feverishparade/wvpjxs_th.gif

DWV might have worked better as a human drama, but Goodfellas is better at everything else. From Scorsese's perfecting of his signature pan shot, to his particular choice of music in key scenes which all but becomes a character on it's own, to his ability to set the tone and stage for a seemingly pivotal moment - only to pull the rug out from under you at the last minute

the scene where Tommy gets whacked

Scorsese shows how versatile and how much of a perfectionist he is. Not to mention that he gets Oscar worthy performances from virtually all of his main actors ; he knows how to get the best out of his ensemble cast.

Now if you want to talk about Oscar rip offs...look no further than The Pianist losing to Chicago or Saving Private Ryan losing to Shakesphere in Love or Sean Penn losing to Denzel.

I do agree with this ... although I fucking love Denzel's performance in Training Day, one of my all time favorites.

Seymour_Glass
08-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Feev, you happify me.

fernandito
08-25-2010, 03:00 PM
:blush:

Mattrick
08-25-2010, 10:48 PM
I was just referring to your line of
The guy won an oscar for Best Direction. He's not exactly chump change.

An Oscar does not equal a great director. It means, for one moment in time, a bunch of people in the AMPAS thought you were better than four other people. It does not mean you're a great director, not by any stretch.

Well, I look at it this way. Trainspotting and Sunshine were unlike any two other movies made, 28 Days Later was one of the best horror films, Shallow Grave was an amazing rookie movie. Sunshine was just awesome. Danny Boyle had never made any serious dramas, he'd been more into off kilter movies and science fiction. And when he made one, it won best picture and director. A lot of great directors start just making genre films. His new film 127 Hours is sure to be good :) He's still got a lot of years to make movies. Much like say Croenenberg, who'se more dramatic stuff in recent years, has been fantastic, but had made a lot of off kilter and genre picture early in his career, which were good, but not oscar worthy.

I still have to see Old Boy and the like but haven't really had the chance yet. They ain't goin nowhere, though.

fernandito
08-26-2010, 07:37 AM
*Bump

this poll is closing today !

Jean
08-26-2010, 07:39 AM
lost again..........

fernandito
08-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Danny Boyle advances !

Mattrick
08-26-2010, 04:33 PM
http://files.stv.tv/img/articles/157554-trainspotting-stars-ewan-mcgregor-and-kevin-mckidd-reunite-for-new-movie-410x230.jpg
I choose life.

Seymour_Glass
08-27-2010, 06:38 AM
http://files.stv.tv/img/articles/157554-trainspotting-stars-ewan-mcgregor-and-kevin-mckidd-reunite-for-new-movie-410x230.jpg
I choose life.

I've got a lust for life. :thumbsup:My god, that joke was horrible.