PDA

View Full Version : TDGT - Round 2 - Peter Jackson vs Hayao Miyazaki

fernandito
08-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Peter Jackson's IMDB page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001392/)

Notable films : Dead Alive, Heavenly Creatures , Lord of the Rings (trilogy), King Kong
http://stevenhartsite.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/peter-jackson1.jpg

Hayao Miyazaki's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0594503/)

Notable films : My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service
http://www.justpressplay.net/images/stories/hayao_miyazaki_princess.jpg

fernandito
08-19-2010, 03:05 PM
NOTE : In case of a tie in the poll, the posts below will be used as a final tie breaker.

Sam
08-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Hayao Miyazaki, no question about it.

Heather19
08-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Miyazaki :)

alkanto
08-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Jackson - have to go for him. If for nothing else, LOTR deserves this

Jean
08-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Miyazaki

chtorrwar19
08-20-2010, 12:39 AM
This was so tough... I adore both of them, but as a New Zealander my loyalties have to lie ultimately with Jackson. I think in the end Miyazaki is the better "auteur" type director, he's a real artist, but Jackson really knows how to present a fantastic spectacle film - a spectacle film with a good heart - something guys like Michael Bay could really learn about

Jean
08-20-2010, 01:45 AM
<...> I think in the end Miyazaki is the better "auteur" type director <...>
Precisely.

Brice
08-20-2010, 04:51 AM
I've never seen a Mayazaki film, but I wouldn't even put Jackson in my top 50 for directors. I've liked some of his stuff, but.. I just don't want to vote for him so I'm out of this one.

fernandito
08-20-2010, 06:16 AM
I've never seen a Mayazaki film, but I wouldn't even put Jackson in my top 50 for directors. I've liked some of his stuff, but.. I just don't want to vote for him so I'm out of this one.

Remedy this as soon as possible. I'm not kidding. I'll never speak to you again if you don't. Start with Princess Mononoke and/or Spirited Away. :)

I went with Miyazaki. He might not have a set of films with the scope of Lord of The Rings, but there is something about each of his films that just tugs at your heartstrings.

Heather19
08-20-2010, 12:18 PM

Remedy this as soon as possible. I'm not kidding. I'll never speak to you again if you don't. Start with Princess Mononoke and/or Spirited Away. :)

Yes, I agree with Feev. I'd also recommend Howl's Moving Castle. Honestly I think you'd really enjoy them Brice.

mystima
08-20-2010, 12:33 PM
I can't decide which one I like more...:onfire: :onfire: I guess I am going with Mayazaki. I liked his films more...just because one makes a spectacular trilogy doesn't mean the rest are good....just my opinion. :thumbsup:

Brice
08-20-2010, 03:50 PM
I'll see what I cn do about remedying the not having seen any Miyazaki films situation. Feev, you know you couldn't stop talking to me. :nope: :wub:

I honestly think Dead Alive was the high point of Jackson's career.

Heather19
08-20-2010, 03:58 PM
That's my favorite Jackson film as well.

Brice
08-20-2010, 03:59 PM
I may vote for him ONLY because of that movie. I'm not sure. I'm thinking on it.

Heather19
08-20-2010, 04:39 PM
No, don't do it! Watch a Miyazaki one first then vote ;)

Still Servant
08-20-2010, 05:14 PM
I'll see what I cn do about remedying the not having seen any Miyazaki films situation. Feev, you know you couldn't stop talking to me. :nope: :wub:

I can see why people might not like The Lord of the Rings (actually I can't, but for arguements sake let's say I can) how can you deny that LoTR is the high point of his career?

I know people love the books (as do I) but he did an amazing job with those movies. Even though I might disagree with some of his changes, they are still great.

turtlex
08-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Had to go with Jackson ...

... and I don't mean to sound flippant ( okay, maybe I do, just a little ) but how hard is it to direct animated characters?

Jean
08-20-2010, 10:48 PM

I can see why people might not like The Lord of the Rings (actually I can't, but for arguements sake let's say I can) how can you deny that LoTR is the high point of his career?

I know people love the books (as do I) but he did an amazing job with those movies. Even though I might disagree with some of his changes, they are still great.
I am one of those who abhor the movie. I found it boring, stilted, sacrificing everything that I loved in the book for the sake of one big, overdrawn set of visual effects.

alinda
08-21-2010, 08:45 AM
:scared: ouch! it was a film, a visual over anything everytime:couple:

fernandito
08-21-2010, 09:52 AM

... and I don't mean to sound flippant ( okay, maybe I do, just a little ) but how hard is it to direct animated characters?

It's not only directing the characters - virtually every character, location, and event within the film stemmed from Miyazaki's imagination. It's the power of his imagination coupled with his ability to weave coming-of-age stories into the fabric of his films that make him such a great director.

P.S - I can maybe ... with great difficulty, and a whiskey or two - see how someone could possibly not like the cinematic perfection(s) that are the Lord of the Ring films, but even the most skeptical cynic has to admit that they've had a profound impact on modern cinema.

Jean
08-21-2010, 09:59 AM
sorry guys, I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, just stated my opinion. I am rather particular about movies, and very hard to please; that's how bears are. Being that most skeptical cynics feve mentioned, I have to admit I don't really know if the impact is positive; but then again, I am very much averse to the special-effect kind of cinema.

About it being visual... I feel there's a big difference between "visual visual" and "cinema visual"; I hope to develop it later.

fernandito
08-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Jean - I wasn't singling you out, just so you know. I've seen a lot of people that dislike the LoTR films and I phrased it the way I did for anyone who consider themselves as such.

Jean
08-21-2010, 10:05 AM
oh, I don't mind being singled out! I would, in fact, be honored...

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

alinda
08-21-2010, 10:25 AM
no feeling hurt here either, just saying...:P

Brice
08-21-2010, 10:50 AM
I care nothing for cinematic impact. ( Feev, I can concede that they've had a rather strong impact, but then the question becomes was it a worthwhile impact.) I just go based on my own little opinion of the movie(s) itself. Essentially I feel the same way about this series as everyone knows by now that I feel about TDT...it should not have been made into a film/s at all. That aside I found it monumentally boring....no amount of visuals and special effects could cover that up for me. In fact I've never made it through all three movies and I gave my copies away so I wouldn't. I don't feel like torturing myself. This is from a person however who is basically completely dismissive of film/art/music and literary criticism. The aesthetic value of art belongs solely to the individual. I like what I like and that's it. I am not even gonna' pretend that I'm trying to be objective here....in fact I rarely am.

Jean
08-21-2010, 10:57 AM
I care nothing for cinematic impact. ( Feev, I can concede that they've had a rather strong impact, but then the question becomes was it a worthwhile impact.) I just go based on my own little opinion of the movie(s) itself. Essentially I feel the same way about this series as everyone knows by now that I feel about TDT...it should not have been made into a film/s at all. That aside I found it monumentally boring....no amount of visuals and special effects could cover that up for me. In fact I've never made it through all three movies and I gave my copies away so I wouldn't. I don't feel like torturing myself. This is from a person however who is basically completely dismissive of film/art/music and literary criticism. I like what I like and that's it. I am not even gonna' pretend that I'm trying to be objective here....in fact I rarely am.
very well spoken, as usual

I don't feel like torturing myself.
I do, but I'd rather it was meant by the director of a movie I watch.

Brice
08-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Exactly! :lol:

Thank you!

pathoftheturtle
08-21-2010, 11:11 AM

It's not only directing the characters - virtually every character, location, and event within the film stemmed from Miyazaki's imagination. It's the power of his imagination coupled with his ability to weave coming-of-age stories into the fabric of his films that make him such a great director....and then you watch The Lovely Bones. :orely:
Certainly the difference in media does complicate this question.

fernandito
08-21-2010, 12:08 PM

It's not only directing the characters - virtually every character, location, and event within the film stemmed from Miyazaki's imagination. It's the power of his imagination coupled with his ability to weave coming-of-age stories into the fabric of his films that make him such a great director....and then you watch The Lovely Bones. :orely:

But Miyazaki didn't direct The Lovely Bones ...

fernandito
08-21-2010, 12:14 PM
I care nothing for cinematic impact. ( Feev, I can concede that they've had a rather strong impact, but then the question becomes was it a worthwhile impact.) I just go based on my own little opinion of the movie(s) itself. Essentially I feel the same way about this series as everyone knows by now that I feel about TDT...it should not have been made into a film/s at all. That aside I found it monumentally boring....no amount of visuals and special effects could cover that up for me. In fact I've never made it through all three movies and I gave my copies away so I wouldn't. I don't feel like torturing myself. This is from a person however who is basically completely dismissive of film/art/music and literary criticism. The aesthetic value of art belongs solely to the individual. I like what I like and that's it. I am not even gonna' pretend that I'm trying to be objective here....in fact I rarely am.

In that case, I revise my original statement to the following : The reason that the films had such an indelible impact on modern cinema is because they are fantastic films.

And I can sympathize with you not embracing the films because you prefer the content in it's original medium , but for me the films are not meant as a substitute for the novels but rather as a luxurious compliment to them.

Jean
08-21-2010, 12:17 PM
feverish - I wouldn't like the point of what Brice said to be lost, and it isn't because he preferred the book, but -

<...>That aside I found it monumentally boring....no amount of visuals and special effects could cover that up for me. In fact I've never made it through all three movies and I gave my copies away so I wouldn't. <...>

fernandito
08-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Oh I understood that, but I didn't pursue it because it can't be properly debated - if he found it boring .... well, he found it boring :lol: I see what bears are trying to say though.

Brice
08-21-2010, 12:23 PM

In that case, I revise my original statement to the following : The reason that the films had such an indelible impact on modern cinema is because they are fantastic films.

And I can sympathize with you not embracing the films because you prefer the content in it's original medium , but for me the films are not meant as a substitute for the novels but rather as a luxurious compliment to them.

And I can appreciate and understand that. Some books I personally hold sacred though...making a film of them is equivalent to pissing on a christian's bible in my eyes. I realize it really takes nothing away and is usually intended to add on an intellectual level, but emotionally it is repulsive to me.

Jesus, Allah and twenty other random deities together couldn't have made them fantastic, imo.

I've actually decided I can't vote for Jackson because of these films. I did love Dead Alive though. I'm sure Mr. Jackson will be okay without my vote.

With all that said I can separate the films from the books. I just found them mediocre at the good parts.

pathoftheturtle
08-21-2010, 12:33 PM

But Miyazaki didn't direct The Lovely Bones ...Are you really not seeing my point at all, or was this response some joke that I'm just not getting?

... I am not even gonna' pretend that I'm trying to be objective here...

... I revise my original statement to the following: The reason that the films had such an indelible impact on modern cinema is because they are fantastic films. ...<_<

Brice
08-21-2010, 12:35 PM
What is it? :lol:

pathoftheturtle
08-21-2010, 12:40 PM
:unsure: Huh?

fernandito
08-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Path - Yeah I know what you meant, just giving ya a hard time :lol:

Jean
08-21-2010, 12:42 PM
it was a "Pfft", Brice, with which "Pfft" I wholeheartedly concur

Brice
08-21-2010, 12:44 PM
:unsure: Huh?

Oh, I was just confused briefly. My mind broke. :(

Melike
08-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Miyazaki.

Yes, I agree with Feev. I'd also recommend Howl's Moving Castle. Honestly I think you'd really enjoy them Brice.

Howl's Moving Castle, Bricey.

Brice
08-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Okay, when I can get them. My list of movies to watch is getting long.

fernandito
08-22-2010, 05:52 AM
Those don't matter. Only Hiyazaki matters :cyclops:

Melike
08-22-2010, 07:03 AM
The truth is above this post.

fernandito
08-22-2010, 07:10 AM
The truth is above this post.

:wub:

pathoftheturtle
08-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Path - Yeah I know what you meant, just giving ya a hard time :lol:Ah-HAH!! Just as I suspected. (Ern... I'll probably end up voting for Miyazaki, anyway. Jackson HAS made some good films, though.)

it was a "Pfft", Brice, with which "Pfft" I wholeheartedly concurUh, yeah... feev seemed quite willing to pretend that he was trying to be objective. Pfft.

fernandito
08-22-2010, 12:17 PM
;)

It's funny that I should defend the LotR films so vigorously, when I actually voted for Miyazaki :lol:

Still Servant
08-23-2010, 04:11 PM
...it should not have been made into a film/s at all.

Wow, I literally can't imagine my life without The Lord of the Rings films. They've had such a positive impact on my life. They helped get me through some especially tough times and gave me a place to escape to.

I'm sure you realize that millions of people disagree with you, some of which are people who hold the books as close to their hearts as you do.

Another thing that you must realize is that the films led millions of people to read the books, myself included.

Do you want to know the most ironic thing? After I finished the movies/books, I was looking to go on a similar adventure. Somebody told me to read Stephen King's The Gunslinger.

As you can imagine, my love for The Dark Tower led me here, where I have met countless good friends, including you Brice.

If those films had never been made, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Now that would be a shame.

Brice
08-24-2010, 05:11 AM
Okay, for this ALONE I'm glad they were made. :)

fernandito
08-24-2010, 08:08 AM
...I have met countless good friends, including you Brice.

If those films had never been made, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

That was ... beautiful ...

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/49/dawson_crying.gif

pathoftheturtle
08-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Miyazaki

Still Servant
08-24-2010, 04:08 PM
...I have met countless good friends, including you Brice.

That was ... beautiful ...

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/49/dawson_crying.gif

You guys are too much.

:lol:

Brice
08-25-2010, 05:38 AM
I know, right? :rofl:

Darkthoughts
08-25-2010, 05:40 AM
Miyazaki

Same :thumbsup:

Jean
08-25-2010, 06:27 AM
well, we need at least four more

pathoftheturtle
08-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Best thing about the LotR film series, IMO, is that its success contributed to getting The Chronicles of Narnia produced.

fernandito
08-26-2010, 07:34 AM
*Bump

this poll is closing today !

Jean
08-26-2010, 07:39 AM
three more Miyazaki votes! camarades!

fernandito
08-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Peter Jackson advances !

Jean
08-26-2010, 08:16 PM
No.

::in denial::

No.

alinda
08-29-2010, 09:52 AM
><:angry::arg::(:orely::onfire::beat::P

pathoftheturtle
08-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Looks like another disappointed animation fan.