PDA

View Full Version : The Closer

jhanic
08-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Am I the only one here who likes The Closer? Neither of my kids nor my wife like this show--mainly because of Brenda Lee's (Kyra Sedgewick) nutiness and hangups, but I REALLY enjoy it.

Luckily, I'm retired, because TNT has started showing the old episodes at 2pm EDT each weekday. I don't remember watching these (even though I know I did) so it's like watching new episodes each day!

John

Sam
08-01-2010, 02:40 PM
My wife and I both really enjoy this program as well. Brenda is about as quirky as my wife, so I'm kinda used to it, but don't tell her I said that.

Bev Vincent
08-02-2010, 02:14 AM
I haven't seen some of the earliest seasons either, but I've been watching it for at least three years now and never miss it. I'm also enjoying the new show that follows it, Rizzoli and Isles, based on the novels of Tess Gerritsen. It has some problems, but it's not a bad follow-up to The Closer.

Sam
08-02-2010, 04:35 PM
I can't say I like Rizzoli and Isles. I found it to be somewhat borgin and tedious. My wife found in somewhat unbelievable that (as happened in the pilot episode) someone who had been abducted by a crazed killer once before would get into the back of a black van with no one around, even IF they thought they were identifying someone they knew who had been killed.

Bev Vincent
08-02-2010, 05:49 PM
I love the Provenza and Flynn episodes!

jhanic
08-02-2010, 06:08 PM
True! They are ALWAYS good for a laugh!

John

Bev Vincent
08-03-2010, 02:10 AM
Provenza: What else could possibly go wrong?

Flynn (looking out front window): Uh, isn't that your car?

jhanic
08-03-2010, 07:29 AM
:rofl:

John

Sam
08-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Have you seen the episode where they find a dead body in a storage unit, then decide go to a ball game first and call in the body later because they don't want to miss the game? As you can imagine, the fit hits the shan when they return to the storage unit and discover the body is no longer there.

Bev Vincent
08-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Yep -- another Keystone Kops Klassic!

jhanic
08-04-2010, 03:46 AM
A great episode!

John

turtlex
08-30-2010, 02:40 AM
Big upset at the Emmy Awards last night.... Kyra Sedgwick takes Best Actress in a Drama for The Closer!!!

You go, Kyra !!!!

jhanic
08-30-2010, 02:31 PM
:thumbsup:

John

turtlex
08-30-2010, 03:24 PM
I was thrilled !!!

Not that I dislike Glenn Close or Julianna Margulies, who were the big favorites to win, but Kyra is just wonderful as Brenda Lee Johnson. I mean, under the radar good ... so it's nice to see her pop up on the radar again!!! :D

<insert a Chief Johnson "thank you" right here>

Since I can't find the mash-up of "Thank You"s I was looking for... this will have to do :

YouTube- The Closer - Provenza mimics Brenda

Sam
08-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Thoughts on tonight's ending. I'm of two minds. The first one says "What the fuck was that???!!??!??! What the hell were you thinking Brenda and who actually made that call??? WELL??"

The second one has much less to say. It says "Justice can be a real bitch huh mother fucker."

Bev Vincent
08-31-2010, 02:24 AM
I think this week's episode was one of the best of the season. I expected T-ball to fold and get in the car again.

Sam
08-31-2010, 06:57 AM
So did I Bev.

jhanic
08-31-2010, 11:22 AM
As did I. I can't help wonder what was going through his head as he walked toward his house.

John

jhanic
06-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Watching some of the teases for the upcoming season, it appears that T-ball's mother is suing the department for causing her son's death. Going to be interesting!

John

Bev Vincent
06-04-2011, 07:57 AM
This is the final season, but I hear they're planning a spinoff using Mary McDonnell's character, Captain Raydor: Major Crimes. Not sure that I'm thrilled by that prospect.

jhanic
06-04-2011, 08:05 AM
I agree. I don't find her character so interesting that she warrants a series of her own. We'll see.

I hadn't heard that this will be The Closer's final season. I'm definitely not happy about that.

John

mystima
06-04-2011, 07:19 PM
I watch on the days that I am off. Her quirks are what make the show for me. They started showing the first episodes recently and I was like whoa what did she do to piss those two off, then realized it was the first episodes....lol.

jhanic
07-12-2011, 04:25 AM
I watched the newest episode of he season last night and loved it! The ending (and no spoilers here) was a complete surprise to me. I can't wait to see what happens next!

John

TwistedNadine
07-12-2011, 08:33 AM
This is the final season, but I hear they're planning a spinoff using Mary McDonnell's character, Captain Raydor: Major Crimes. Not sure that I'm thrilled by that prospect.

I cant stand Mary McDonnells character. I would NOT watch any spinoff with her as the main. However, I do like her as an actress...

Bev Vincent
07-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Looking forward to watching it and Rizzoli and Isles. It seems like I rarely watch any live TV any more. It's all on DVR.

jhanic
07-12-2011, 10:12 AM
My wife says I watch enough TV without a DVR, so I don't have one.

John

Bev Vincent
07-12-2011, 10:20 AM
My free time to watch TV is usually between 6 and 8 p.m. (Central). Not many new shows on during that window, so I watch what was on the night before.

jhanic
07-19-2011, 04:10 AM
I was really disappointed in last night's episode. Yes, it may have "moved" the series on, but solving the crime seemed secondary.

John

Bev Vincent
07-19-2011, 05:10 AM
I have to watch the rest of it later on -- I was interrupted about 20 mins in. I was surprised that they totally dispatched with Delk. The team sure looks different in their dress blues, don't they?

jhanic
07-19-2011, 06:34 AM
They sure do!

John

jhanic
07-26-2011, 04:24 AM
Provenza and Flynn strike again in last night's episode! Wonderful!

John

Bev Vincent
07-26-2011, 05:17 AM
Haven't seen it yet, but those are always my favorite episodes. I liked the one where they left a body unreported so they could go see a baseball game.

Bev Vincent
07-28-2011, 11:28 AM
That was great. The writers were hitting on all cylinders with that one. Alan Arkin was great and I loved the lawyer.

jhanic
09-17-2011, 05:07 PM
I just saw a tease on one of The Closer reruns that said the final Closer season starts in November.

I can't say I'm too surprised, given what happened in the last episode of this season.

John

Bev Vincent
09-18-2011, 04:25 AM
This has been the plan all along this year, and it was Sedgwick's decision to end the show. Any theories as to who the spy in the department is? I'm leaning towards Taylor.

jhanic
09-18-2011, 08:47 AM
I think I agree with you on Taylor. He's been an a** almost the whole way through. And he could have gotten the information from Gabriel. Gabriel has a tendency to allow his disagreements with Brenda show. Just a theory, though.

John

Bev Vincent
12-06-2011, 09:08 AM
What did you think about the Christmas episode? Fred Willard was great as Santa. And Buzz's sister "has opinions." Overall, I thought it was a good episode. Always like it when Brenda's attorney shows up.

Bev Vincent
12-27-2011, 09:23 AM
What an amazing winter finale -- I can't believe they're going to make us wait until next summer for the final six.

jhanic
01-01-2012, 07:23 PM
I agree. It was a wonderful finale.

I have a feeling that I know who the leak within the department is.

John

jhanic
07-10-2012, 07:12 AM
I have to say I was a bit disappointed by the first of the last six episodes that aired last night. It just didn't seem to have the "umph" that most of the earlier shows had. I hope the remaining five get better!

John

Bev Vincent
07-10-2012, 08:38 AM
For me the oomph was the big surprise at the end that caught everyone, including Brenda, off guard. It came out of left field without any basis, so it wasn't completely playing fair with the audience, but it worked for me.

jemaher
07-10-2012, 11:13 AM
I am sure that the sleazy lawyer will be a takedown on a later episode. the twist was unexpected which was good. I also liked the new show that had the schizophrenic as a crime solver...kinda Sherlock Holmes with a twist.

jhanic
07-16-2012, 06:17 PM
I thought tonight's episode was one of the better ones of the entire series.

John

mystima
07-16-2012, 06:22 PM
What do you guys think of the spin off that will take its place? Major Crimes. Won't be the same without her I think.

Bev Vincent
07-17-2012, 02:41 AM
I always like the Provenza and Flynn capers. They get into such predicaments. I was thinking this would be the last one ever but, of course, it's possible they will continue the tradition with the spin-off. I'm willing to give it a shot. Most of the actors are returning. In fact, the identity of one of the actors who is not returning makes me think that person is a prime candidate for the departmental leak.

jhanic
07-17-2012, 07:10 AM
I'll be trying the new series, also. Obviously, it won't be the same without Brenda, but...

John

Bev Vincent
07-24-2012, 06:09 AM
Very good episode this week. I saw something subtle that makes me think my suspicion about the identity of the leak is correct.

After Gabriel had his little chat with Captain Raydor when she overheard him talking to his girlfriend, the camera focused on his key card when he gained access to the squad room. It seemed unusual and I wonder if that's a clue. If so, perhaps his aspiring lawyer girlfriend is either pushing him to divulge information or maybe she's the leak, passing along pillow talk to try to get Brenda in trouble so Gabriel will advance. Maybe the significance of the key card shot is the realization that you don't need a key to access Major Case, just someone with loose lips on the inside.

jhanic
07-24-2012, 04:30 PM
I missed quite a bit of the newest episode--my wife is out in Oregon visiting her sister and she called during the show. I'll make sure I catch it either on the Saturday rerun or the rerun next Monday.

I'm not completely convinced of your analysis, Bev.

I still have the feeling that Pope is the leak!

John

EXPLORER
07-24-2012, 04:44 PM
What do you guys think of the spin off that will take its place? Major Crimes. Won't be the same without her I think. I'm kind of glad to see it is carrying forward.. I won't be the same without her, however I'll give it an optimistic chance. There is alot of good charactor and is well written.

jhanic
07-24-2012, 04:54 PM
I'll agree with that, Explorer!

John

Bev Vincent
07-25-2012, 02:11 AM
The two people from the Major Case squad who aren't returning for the spin-off are Pope and Gabriel. Pope is being promoted upstairs, so that explains him -- but Gabriel? I admit that Pope has been acting uncharacteristically in the past few episodes, but the leak is a huge black mark on his department and for someone who is so desperate to be promoted, it seems like it would be shooting himself in the ass to create such a series of scandals.

jhanic
07-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Bev, after watching tonight's episode, I tend to agree with you about Pope. The ending of this episode was a real shock, though.

John

Bev Vincent
07-31-2012, 02:16 AM
It was a shock, although I was half expecting it when she went to the bedroom. Now we'll never know what it is she wanted to discuss with Brenda, I guess.

jhanic
07-31-2012, 05:04 AM
I didn't expect it whatsoever. I think you're right, though, that we'll never know what she wanted to discuss.

John

Bev Vincent
07-31-2012, 06:27 AM
And I think that will fill Brenda with remorse. Do you have any feeling for what her exit will be like? Pope hinted last night that she might want to brush up (or at least not sully) her resume.

jhanic
07-31-2012, 06:43 AM
I agree.

Pope (I think it was Pope) also kind of hinted that Taylor would become Brenda's boss. She will either be fired or quit, moving back to Atlanta to be with her father.

John

Bev Vincent
07-31-2012, 06:44 AM
I wasn't sure who he meant as her new boss, but I'll bet you're right there.

Bev Vincent
08-07-2012, 02:11 AM
Very good episode this week. I saw something subtle that makes me think my suspicion about the identity of the leak is correct.

After Gabriel had his little chat with Captain Raydor when she overheard him talking to his girlfriend, the camera focused on his key card when he gained access to the squad room. It seemed unusual and I wonder if that's a clue. If so, perhaps his aspiring lawyer girlfriend is either pushing him to divulge information or maybe she's the leak, passing along pillow talk to try to get Brenda in trouble so Gabriel will advance. Maybe the significance of the key card shot is the realization that you don't need a key to access Major Case, just someone with loose lips on the inside.

Did I call it or did I call it? I got the motivation wrong, though.

jhanic
08-07-2012, 04:01 AM
You called it, alright! I can't help wondering what's left to explore in the final episode. I figured the leak would be the last.

John

Bev Vincent
08-07-2012, 05:54 AM
It looks like they'll have a case plus whatever causes Brenda to leave, plus all the goodbyes.

jhanic
08-07-2012, 11:10 AM
I also noticed last night (unless I missed it) that

Sanchez was the only one who did not accept Gabriel's apology.

John

Bev Vincent
08-07-2012, 11:29 AM
I noticed that, too. He also made a point earlier of saying "I said it was him, but you didn't listen to me."

Bev Vincent
08-14-2012, 07:24 AM
Brenda went out with a bang. Makes sense that her final case would involve the one loose end from the last year or so. She sure can be a ferocious little banshee when she wants to! Two hand-to-hand battles in one episode. I'm satisfied with the way it wrapped up. And I'm glad to see that her departure didn't take Fritz away from the show, too. If she'd moved to Atlanta, that would have been it for that actor, too!

The spin-off was not bad. There are bound to be some bumps as they ease into things. I hope Provenza doesn't leave. He's one of the best parts of the show. The kid issued the thematic statement about the show to Raydor: I don't know you and I don't like you. Is it necessary for us to like her? Or can we bond with the cops in generally disliking her? What remains to be seen is whether this new paradigm of making deals instead of getting confessions will prove interesting on a week-to-week basis.

jhanic
08-14-2012, 09:07 AM
I agree with you on the ending of The Closer. A very appropriate close.

I didn't watch Major Crimes (it's past my bedtime! Okay, I'm an oldie!) but I am sure I'll catch the reruns. I agree that Fritz will still be around, as will Provenza. I'd hate to see them leave. Actually, I hope all the original cast sticks around.

John

Bev Vincent
08-14-2012, 09:38 AM
It was past my bedtime, too -- I watched it on the DVR this morning while on the exercise machine after my writing session!

Bev Vincent
08-15-2012, 06:10 AM
I don't know exactly when I started watching the show, but I was pretty sure I'd missed the first season. So I went back and watched the pilot last night via iTunes. I hadn't seen it. What a great episode. I was impressed by how well-formed the familiar characters already were and by the dynamics around the major case squad, newly formed. Brenda had her trademark bag from day one and her penchant for those foil-wrapped chocolate hockey pucks, too. I think I'll have to watch the rest of the first season and figure out where I joined the show.

jhanic
08-15-2012, 06:51 AM
I really enjoyed the first season also. (I watched it from the beginning.)

I enjoyed the squad's severe misgivings about the outsider who took charge. And how they changed their minds.

John

Bev Vincent
08-15-2012, 07:10 AM
I agree. You could see Julio coming around during her first interrogation session. Just a hint of a smile, but he approved

Also, the early connection she made with David, and how poignant this made his disagreement with her in the final season

Robert Fulman
08-15-2012, 08:27 AM
I also watched from the beginning, and I was satisfied with the ending. I'll be watching "Major Crimes"; based on the first episode, it seems like it's the same show with a different name and I'm okay with that. I have always liked Capt. Rader, and I was never particularly fond of Pope. I hope Rusty stops being whiny/brooding really soon, though. I get that they wanted to replace the Brenda/Fritz homelife part of the show with something, but I'm not too fond of the Sharon & Rusty show. Finally, when did Buzz become a cop? He was definitely wearing a badge on his belt in the new show.

Bev Vincent
08-15-2012, 08:30 AM
I didn't notice a badge -- he was definitely a civilian on The Closer. That was an important point on one of the Flynn/Provenza capers where they could get him to do something they couldn't.

Bev Vincent
08-16-2012, 02:15 AM
More observations from season 1:

Stana Katic (Detective Beckett from Castle) as a former Russian prostitute. She either wore a prosthetic or she had a nose job subsequently!
One of Brenda's earliest cases was resolved exactly the same as the Terrell Baylor case that haunted her in the final season. She exposed the son of a Russian mobster as an FBI informer and released him to be killed by his family. Pope shrugged it off after she showed him pictures of the two girls he killed.
Now I know how Brenda got her house -- it was the house of a murder victim!

jhanic
08-16-2012, 04:21 AM
Season 1 was/is a great series! Almost all the shows were really good.

John

Bev Vincent
08-16-2012, 06:14 AM
Flynn was a major a-hole in the first season!

jhanic
08-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Agreed! It takes him a while to get a better attitude.

John

jhanic
08-21-2012, 06:20 AM
Well, I was able to watch both episodes of Major Crimes last night. It's okay, but Captain Rader will take some getting used to, if I put some effort into it. I'm just not sold on the new series so far.

John

Bev Vincent
08-21-2012, 06:26 AM
I wish they'd dump the subplot about the kid in her protective custody. That's just a huge distraction, in my opinion.

jhanic
08-21-2012, 08:00 AM
I agree. Unless the search for his mother turns into something worthwhile.

John

Bev Vincent
08-21-2012, 08:12 AM
True. It better be really worthwhile because both characters are annoying, and putting them in the same room together is like annoying-squared.

It could just be the Provenza/Flynn hour and I'd be happy with that.

jhanic
08-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Regarding last night's episode of Major Crimes. It was a bit better, but I'm still not sold on Capt. Rader. I did notice that she is dressing more feminine now, perhaps in a bid to make her more likeable. I called the ending way before the end of the show, though. I'm having a real problem with the kid's becoming more "civilized" so quickly, too.

John

Bev Vincent
08-29-2012, 02:07 AM
The kid talks like someone who has a college degree, not like an abandoned street kid. He's way too "couth," given his circumstances. I was silently hoping he'd be gone for at least an episode..

I do see parallels with the first season of The Closer, where they slowly, almost begrudgingly come around to accept her as their leader. Even Provenza, who was so bent out of shape.

jhanic
09-02-2012, 05:16 PM
While watching a Closer rerun today, I discovered we've been spelling Rayder's name incorrectly! It's got the "y" in it!

John

Bev Vincent
09-03-2012, 10:19 AM
It's "Raydor"

jhanic
09-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks!

John

Bev Vincent
09-04-2012, 06:09 AM
I homed in on the culprit this week early on, for an odd reason. They drew attention to him when he coughed a couple of times. I thought that was going to mean something, but it didn't really. Even his mother's treatment of him didn't have much to do with his motives.

I wasn't a big fan of having Tao forget something significant. That's a vastly overused trope, in my opinion. In too many books, people see something that nags at them that should be significant and they spend most of the book trying to figure out what that was. I don't think that happens in real life. It's a way of artificially creating suspense.

It was fun seeing Michael Weatherly from NCIS as a guest star. I've never seen him in anything else. His character wasn't exactly a stretch from Tony DiNozzo. I thought it was funny that they kept referring to him as "that prick" and they go around the censors by having his character name be "Thorn." I wonder if his appearing on another show is part of a contract negotiation gambit.

I also noted that the guy who plays Fritz was billed as a "Special Guest Star" this week instead of a regular cast member.

Blooper alert: The FBI doesn't have anything to do with Witness Protection -- that's the pervue of the U.S. Marshals.

jhanic
09-04-2012, 09:53 AM
I thought Weatherly was okay. I really had trouble separating him from his character on NCIS, though. The wise-ass comments were just too similar.

I didn't notice the "Special Guest Star" for Fritz. I wonder if they're writing him out of the series.

Good catch on the blooper--it passed right by me.

I'm not sure if I'll continue to watch the series after the next few episodes. I'm having some real trouble getting into it. I'll give it a fighting chance, but...

John

Bev Vincent
09-04-2012, 09:59 AM
If there were anything else on Monday night at the same time, I'd probably give it a miss, too. Still, it'd be hard to give up Provenza and Flynn.

jhanic
09-04-2012, 02:44 PM
That's so true! I would miss them.

John

Bev Vincent
09-11-2012, 08:37 AM
I have to say that this week's episode didn't make much of an impression.

jhanic
09-11-2012, 11:09 AM
I agree completely. The characters in the squad just didn't seem to be the same ones I remember from The Closer. And the plot wasn't that great either.

(When Sanchez opened fire on that trailer when he knew the girl was in there just wasn't right.)

John

Bev Vincent
09-11-2012, 12:12 PM
I sorta agree with that. The IR scan told him she was prostrate so he could fire high, but it was a huge risk. I like it that everyone knows Sanchez can be a mad dog when they need to scare someone. I guess that's what got him the part of Tuco on Breaking Bad!

jhanic
10-02-2012, 03:54 PM
I've continued watching Major Crimes and, although most of the characters don't seem to act the same as they did in The Closer (where, oh where is Flynn's sarcasm?) the basic plots seem okay. I just wish they'd get rid of that sub-plot involving the kid! Who cares about that?

John

Bev Vincent
10-04-2012, 02:16 AM
I've been keeping up -- haven't seen this week's yet -- and I agree on all points.

Bev Vincent
10-16-2012, 06:23 AM
The season's at an end. Overall, I'd have to say I found it kind of lackluster. The subplot about Rusty definitely detracted from my overall enjoyment. And what's with having the show end with unidentifiable people two weeks in a row? The college prof last week and the assassin this week. I hope they spend some time regrouping before the show returns next summer. It has potential, but I don't think they've found it yet.

jhanic
10-19-2012, 05:34 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself, Bev. I really didn't like the change in the characters' behaviors from what they did in The Closer, either. I long for the "old days" of Flynn and Provenza.

John